Speaker 1: To be the first one to win this award. I will carry your family's name with more honored now that I'm retired, more than I did when I played s I owe that to your family that when they's Walter Payman or the year my name is mentioned, it's with the highest level of service possible.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, I'm Peanut Tohiman and this is the NFL Player Second X podcast and with him as always Montrosity co host Roman Harvard.
Speaker 3: Why you look so serious?
Speaker 2: I'm not just why you look so well, because you just yelled at me before we started. So I'm really excited about this interview. This guy's a legendary player. We all grew up watching him, yes, from his college days at Florida State to his NFL career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and you can't wait to sit down and talk to him about also what he's doing now in his second acting.
Speaker 3: I know it's gonna bee a great one.
Speaker 2: Fourteen year NFL VET Walter Peyton, Man of the Year, NFL Hall of Famer, NFL all time top one hundred player. So that means he's got you got two coats.
Speaker 3: He got, he got the maroon jacket.
Speaker 2: Ain't he got the gold jacket? Oh, there's the maroon jacket. When you go that one when you bruh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I learned.
Speaker 2: It's like wine. It's it's a pretty dope color too.
Speaker 3: They say that age is better with time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and he's currently the guy. When you get fine and you don't agree with the fine, you gotta pill it to this man. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome Derek Brooks to the show.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, thank you, thank you, my pleasure. It's my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Well, Derek Man, get right into that one. Yeah, I will get jumped right into it. I always talk about how I never thought that I would be in the media space, right. The media was always that looked upon as the enemy. Yes, yeah, I mean I don't know what the angle they're coming at. And I wonder if you think the same thing, because you're on the opposite side of you are now the person that says this is determinedifying this.
Speaker 4: That and the other.
Speaker 2: We call you the appeal, knowing that you used to be the one that was trying to call the appill and all the other Senate So how did you get into this job. Talk to us kind of like what exactly do you.
Speaker 4: Do or share with well, thank you?
Speaker 1: So, uh, I'm the lead what we would say, the lead appeals officer for the NFL, And this position is the only job that was created by the collective bargaining agreement. So the I like to say, there's no door closed to this position. No matter if your NFL, nfl PA, our governing documents, this is the only.
Speaker 4: Position that's reference.
Speaker 1: So from that standpoint, I'm truly neutral when it comes to the governing of the game in terms of the rules. And I always take a moment to explain to our fellow players. I tell them, guys, I played longer than I have been a pills officer, so I do not find this position. Do not find players I know all the time because they say, y'all, y'all find I say, I say, let's define why a L L that does not contain D R R I C K. So I just and again when I explain to the men the position and how I take it serious that this position is you to talk to me in as colleagues, let's talk about what the NFL said happened, and either I'm agree with the NFL. I'm gonna disagree or I'm gonna agree. But you know what, it wasn't at the economic level that the NFL says it was, and we call that it reduced. And what I try to do in that process is keep the integrity and dignity that these men know. My colleagues, your voice is not of being heard, but they're being listened to. Everything you say, and your agent and the players Association attorneys is going to get considered. Some things are pretty obvious. Then you know, you go, God grabs a face, mass he makes a tackle. I tell you, guy, it ain't about the obvious place. What I am listening to just to talk to you about the position you play and how you ended up in that position. Now, how can you be a better player? So I treated with that dignity and I always make myself available, and I think this has really been key. You know, in the twelve years I've been doing this, I don't run from decisions. And I tell players, once you get my decision, if you disagree with it or want to discuss it, heres how you get a hold of me. I give him my emails because I want it on the record, and I give them my phone number, and I say, I will only talk to you as my peer. I won't talk to your agent. I want talk to your representative. I'll talk to you because your money is being taken. And every year during this time around the Super Bowl, that is the one compliment. Even when players disagree, they always come back say, you know what, I disagree rich and misrs brush, but I really appreciate how you treated me and I appreciate the conversation you had with me. And that's all I try to do in this position and services real serve the men, serve the game, or do it with the highest level of integrity.
Speaker 2: I got a question, does it anybody actually reached back out? Because yes, I know that's been to me. And I was just like like once it was over, I was either mad and just like walked away still mad, or you know, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Okay, I appreciate that they did send that a little bit. They knocked that down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they do. And here's I tell all the player appeal everything. Yeah, don't just willingly you didn't willingly be in that position on the football fields, or don't willing need to give into the price You've earned that right, use it and going through it. When they reach back out, it gives me a chance to have other conversations. And that's really the secret that I've really trying to get to with the players and guys do when they reach back out, they say, we'll talk about the play. I'll give them my opinion, and then I ask some other things. How is your locker room, how are you doing, how's your health? Where you're at this stage of your career. A young player that I may see or know things. Hey, you know what you're playing the game a little. They could have done this, but they didn't. But let me warn you about this. The scheme you're playing, especially with linebackers, I love talking to them. And why you're lining the seven yards deep?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: You know it's an obvious run r PO tendencies. What do you studying? I say, his on defense, reading the quarterback, breaking on the football. What why you're backpelling five steps when you can hop three and break later on? I never thought that, Yeah, how about try that when you get a pick? Der Brooks chaities will appreciate that. So it gives me in a fun way. It gives me that other connection, you know, to the players, and a lot of them when they do, then what tends to happen. Guys reach out to me that don't get fine because they teammate has my information, so they end up reaching back out to me.
Speaker 4: And that's how I stay connected with the players.
Speaker 2: Our show was my I think when I used to get fine, Our show was my guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, Art schell Art was And I said, just like, obviously you're a peanut punch. When players was getting fined for that, they the rules says, obviously they throwing a punch. But now that's a part of the turnover technique. And I asked he was writing in that by four or five years ago to the competition committee and trying his staff. Hey, we need to look at this act very y different. This is not the act of throwing a punch violence. This is a turnover technique that we need to really look at from the rules standpoint, look at and consider in governing the rules. So I get a chance through the position to make those recommendations. I tell the PA, here's what I think you guys should be fighting for when it comes to the players. Now, whether they do it or not, again, their choice, whether the competition committee listens to me, their choice, But they see the decisions that are being made, you know, by myself and prior to James Thrash. We write these recommendations and now, like I say, just that turnover technique itself, it's really helped the players now and then obviously we get players that abuse it on the other side. Oh mi, bro, I'm just trying to do the bean that punch man. You swinging at the dude, Joe the ball there's nowhere near where you were going. But again that's again that's some of the things that goes on up under the hood with the position.
Speaker 2: Now, since you've had this position, have you seen, uh the fins go down?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has, and it goes in trends. So for instance, you know, you look at concussion data, concussion data has gone down, which is very good for everybody because now players are being more conscious in how they're tackling. The defensive player side of me, see the mistackles three times as much has defended without looking at defensive stats. So you know, and again it's just certain areas of hip drop tackle. What's the big thing last off season this season, you just see a lot of that in terms of the technique and when it was happening. We had a chance to discuss how it was happening, you know, with a player momentum, with a player open field, in these positions, positions angles, if you're coming up from behind versus coming from the side. So when they do those things and those rules go in, this process gives you a chance to go. Because there was a lot where John running his staff, they find guys loud of these was rescinded, you know, by myself, and we had three new guys this year, Ramon Foster, Kevin Mawai, and Jordy Nelson. They all came on this year because there was a lot to handle for two people. But as I was bringing these guys in the process, they had a chance to have a great appreciation too. I mean, it's ain't gonna say silly, but when you think about things like celebrations and obviously Roman you in this space with college football, you see these guys.
Speaker 2: It's out of control and Colge thank you. That's where it starts, exactly. You guys are trying to break the tendency now in the league.
Speaker 4: Exactly, So how do you how do.
Speaker 1: You tell a rookie coming in, hey, you're not gonna be a This is for the cost you money, these type of celebrations. So I try to tell guys, you see that Cameron in zone. They want celebrate, They want this content, but they want it as a unit. So now when you start to see defensive players, everybody run to the opposite zone. Those are guys that was listening to this process. Celebrate all you want, but let's do it with three or four other people. Let's do it on your sideline. If you get a turnover on your opponent's sideline, man, run them twenty yards to the middle of the field. Find your guys and go to the end zone instead of turn around looking at their sideline. They know you made a play. You ain't gotta show them. You ain't got to You ain't got to brag about it because you want to come at you again so you can make another play.
Speaker 4: So go find your teammates.
Speaker 1: So again, just that when I'm talking about celebrations and how do we govern that when the NFL content side, when they go post these celebrations for views, guys getting fined.
Speaker 4: It's a mixed message.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this process allowed those two to connect.
Speaker 4: Ops.
Speaker 1: You got to connect with the content team. You can't find guys if the content team is posting these things as hey, look at the beautiful NFL and celebrate. Let's get views, but it costs you twelve thousand dollars. So this process allowed for more efficiency on their side. Even to the teams. Teams better be careful about posting this content because I'm a player. The team posts something I did and I got fine, I'm going to see the gym. Hey man, somebody need to pay that. Ain't at y'all to post that. So it's better communication even amongst teams and content when it gets to the operation of the game.
Speaker 2: That's a great point as far as we talk about the money the content, Like, I really hadn't thought about that.
Speaker 3: I see it a lot in college.
Speaker 2: Though it starts down everybody's doing this celebration, they start flashing like that.
Speaker 3: That was the new one. That was just bananas this year.
Speaker 2: But I want to talk about some of the numbers, the actual numbers. I looked at some of this. So football in the stands now, is this being kicked thrown? It's a difference right versus handed out? Yes, right, if you throw it fine, right if you kick it fine, if you hand it we're all good, correct, Yes, all right?
Speaker 3: What about a toss?
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I said.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't really get it to my mama, but I want mama just for you.
Speaker 4: But it's a general toss now.
Speaker 1: And again that's where in these processes, like with our process and when I do I handle on field playing stuff. So when it comes to throwing the balls in the stands, that's another area with John Wrightan and that who But to your point, sometimes common sense intent, yes.
Speaker 2: So I just want to know how do they come up with the numbers. So the first offense is seven thousand, eight hundred and seventy eight dollars, get to change, yes, the next one, the second offense is thirteen thousand, five hundred and six dollars.
Speaker 3: The one that's even crazier.
Speaker 2: To me is a physical contact with the referee, which, yes, sometimes happens, should never happen, but you know, it's an emotional game played by emotional people, so we.
Speaker 3: Know things happen.
Speaker 2: First offense thirty nine thousand, five hundred and.
Speaker 3: One dollar one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, and then the second offense seventy nine thousand, zero and four dollars seventy nine thousand and four dollars.
Speaker 3: How do you come up with those numbers.
Speaker 1: And you're forgetting you forgetting the other one, they can suspend you.
Speaker 4: Right after.
Speaker 3: Yes, nothing, Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, so anything the way that the rules are ridden and I use they can go from zero to one thousand off the egregiousness of the act. So somebody runs and you know, say, for two hands shoves of ref you ain't gonna see those numbers. You're gonna see him out. So they have that jurisdiction. And those numbers are actually collectively bargaining negotiating.
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought someone just came up one of the.
Speaker 4: Number.
Speaker 1: They use these different formulas in negotiation with our players union, and those numbers are a direct reflection of what's in the CBA. Okay, the CBA defined schedule of the CBA.
Speaker 2: All right, So how does that so Rom and I playing different teams? I hit him, push him, whatever he goes down, I get a flag. I get my personal foul. I know I'm probably get fined or something like that. I'm gonnat a FedEx letter explain how the appeals process works.
Speaker 1: So in that case, that act is going to be looked at by NFL op staff and I'll just headed by John Ryan reports up Detroit Vincent. So they'll look at the egregiousness of what happened. What the referee report says, wegreiousness. I beat them up real good, you beat them up. Now they'll look at what you did to instigate it, in what level that caused. Second, they'll look at the response that he had in responding to that I knocked him out. The third thing, they'll look at who came off the sideline, who chose to participate in said confrontation. Because it also says in our rules you as a player shouldn't run to the pile. Let the RELs do their job. So you come to that power you're getting yes years, yes, so, but this process, so you guys go through. You get the FedEx letter. Now you have ten days to appeal, so usually your agent automatically appeals it for you. Within that ten days, you get on a schedule of when you have free time, and we have slots that the agents or the player. When you log in, it will show you slots of time based on your schedule to have the hearing. So every hearing it is thirty minutes max or some even go a little longer because I let players voice their opinion. So then we'll get a day and we'll get a time, so that day in time, you'll have all your representatives and you able to have anybody on the phone represents you you want, but typically it's a lawyer from the union player and represents agents and who they want. So we'll go through mark hearing. So I'll get on the phone. I'll say p NAT tillman. Appreciate you exercising your right to go through the ap pills process. I'm Derrick Brooks, You're a pills officers. Please not everybody on this phone represents you. Will have an opportunity to get me testimony regarding as the legs. Fine, and know that the NFL is representative from the NFL office is listening in, but he or she will not speak. But you have the right to know who's listening to this appeals. Please give me everything you want me to consider, and I go back and watch this play.
Speaker 4: You will speak.
Speaker 1: First, your agent will speak second, the unit speak third, and then I come back to you to give me any final testimony.
Speaker 4: Out to hearing.
Speaker 1: Everybody speak, because I want your word to be the first in the last that I hear. I read the letter. Now I'm going to read the letter. I read the letter. Then I start you first, get it right down here what they say. I come back to you say, hell, are you satisfied with the representation you had today?
Speaker 4: You'll say yes.
Speaker 1: I say, Now, finally, once you get my decision, you have any comments, questions, concerns, please reach back out to me directly and let's have that Conversation's colleagues emailed me. So I went on the record, Dick dot Brooks at NFL dot com. Here's my phone number.
Speaker 4: You can call me.
Speaker 1: I will only talk to you. I will not talk to any one of these other representatives on the phone.
Speaker 4: Here's over.
Speaker 2: Do you are like a black robe when you have these conversations?
Speaker 1: Then you get guys on that we and we doing the hearing we have like you, hey man, roomman?
Speaker 4: Did this?
Speaker 1: I said, Now you think you actually think he was gonna have advantage on you?
Speaker 4: That called you this?
Speaker 1: Something happened early in the game that made you feel So I'll you my colleague. So it's I want to hear from you for a reason. You'd have the first and last word for a reason, so I attempt as best I can. Yeah, they encourage guys to talk to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My my favorite one is h number one. You didn't rescind the one when I hit a quarterbro at one time.
Speaker 3: Oh, you already knew.
Speaker 4: What it was.
Speaker 3: He ducked bro.
Speaker 2: He did, He ducked and like, I'm got my target and then he changes his level.
Speaker 1: He dug he didn't have he didn't have no adjustment time.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't. It's fine. I hate that. I can tell you.
Speaker 2: Still bothered by that a little bit.
Speaker 3: He's like, he ducked, he chucked and ducked and then I hit him. Fine. Whatever. My favorite one though is Merton Hanks.
Speaker 2: I had no no white showing in my socks uniform violation.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad shout out to Hanks. He took care of me because I was like, I had no white showing. I was like, why am I even mind? He was like, dude, you got to like just try and get reduced like whatever. I'm like, there's nothing to reduce. I had no white like nothing, but he was like, yeah, what's up. I was like, why did I not have any white? I was like, dude, this Monday night football. He's like, I get it.
Speaker 3: You gotta on Monday night. I'm gonna take care. I give you like, you know what.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that, just for just hearing me out, working with me what you're saying, and just be like, you know what, just be making the call.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a short break and we'll be back in a minute. I got a question for you. You mentioned this earlier. You talked about tackling. The skill level, the technique in tackling has not been as good as where you would see it or like it. What would you rate your what would you rate yourself as a tackling your technique, your ability to do it, and then what would give young people kind of advice to try to clean it up?
Speaker 1: That was my That was really one of my assets, yo. Role just I wasn't a hitter. I wasn't no big thumper.
Speaker 2: No, you weren't even like that big one linebacker, one of the first smaller will linebackers. And that cover two really kind of made it more.
Speaker 1: Yes, everybody that so I was on, Yes, it was on the cuzzle, changing the game. Then I was coming along and coming in. Yes, you know, it wasn't the size of Lawrence Taylor's, you know, Wilbert Marshall's. You and your say, it was more the offenses opening up. You know, back mid to late nineties, the ball was coming out, offenses were scoring. You saw a lot of flex. You didn't see the big running backs. You saw the Marshall folks of the world coming in and Edrin James doing Fred Taylor. So you saw a difference with that, and more teams were going to it. So for me, it was a by playing in space. I wasn't a hitter. I was a tackler. I was a grabber, get you to the ground. A lot of my tackles were not against bigger players, against receivers, backs, you know, tiny obviously guys is having the ball. But it wasn't at the line of scrimmage. It usually was in space. And then when I'm actually having to tackle in the hole. For us, it was by game tackle. We had that philosophy. No one except a corner out on the island, and even then, no one should make a tackle alone. That was Manti Kiffen Lovey herb all day and grained at in US and practice. If two guys wasn't getting touched. We was running to play again, like no one should make a tackle alone. It was just we were brainwashed to that's what we believe. So when I graved myself to the highest degree, because that's that's what I made. Very few times you catch me having big hits today, they don't get a chance to practice that as much as we did, and it's killing us. Everything is being governed and again rightfully sold to get a healthier game. Right to guys in our position now could live a full, you know, life to the best of his capabilities, not having all these car wrecks. I understand it, but that don't mean I have to accept it just because you can't practice as a team. There's nothing wrong with you doing something individually. Linebackers, there's nothing wrong with you getting a teammate and you guys walking through tackling and open field. You don't need a coach governing that. You just need two willing bodies that want to get better. That's what I tell them. There's no excuses, no explanations. Yes, the fire system and the physicality has governed the game, but nothing has governed the fact that there's going to be collisions in some of these open fields that you're literally not grabbing the guy. You're trying to knock him down with your shoulder instead of grabbing it wrapping him up. That is the safest thing to do. And nowadays runners especially, they're making investment decisions. Once you grab them, they going They they going down. But guess what, you gotta grab them. You can't not try to knock them down with the shoulder. Well, assume they feel your home, you feel your paws. Man, they're going down. To the going down, man, get to the next play. I got my fifteen, got my twelve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they going down.
Speaker 1: And like back when we play bigger receiver, like we need that extra two or three.
Speaker 4: They're not doing that anymore.
Speaker 1: So get back to the art of grabbing, getting very intimate and bringing them to the.
Speaker 3: Ground body on the body. Yes.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's because the lack of guys are I just see guys just diving that legs and stuff, and they got their eyes closed. They're not really looking at what they're seeing in the hit. And it's also what you're saying, they're just trying to show their tackle. There's a lot more and I don't know why that's happening, and it's got to start earlier. Though you guys, I didn't tell anybody NFL we really don't teach. We ain't got time to teach you how to tackle. You've got to be that when you show up here or you ain't gonna stay. It's a college thing, though, I think that's a college thing.
Speaker 3: I had a conversation with high schools.
Speaker 1: Yes, and and yes, we're trying to infiltrate from the top down every areas of our game or growth down to high school, whether it's officiating, where it's coaching, whether it's rules.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I commend you know, the NFL, even their investment in flag, because why are you're teaching grabbing? I could work with that when now, because that grabbing a flag is going to work, and grabbing a jersey, grabbing a pant leg is grabbing something you're not used to the art of tackling. Even in flag, you're doing it. So I commend them in doing it. But we just got to continue to educate that us former players that are getting involved in coaching in the youth leagues, we know better equipped us with these techniques, these rules to help because these kids are going to listen to us because they're trying to get where we were. So our word is going to carry more whether we like it. Whether we like it or not, it is what it is, so let's embrace that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so I see that, uh that that pain you got on your left lapel. That's that's kind of that's kind of that's kind of cool. You got one of those kind of those pens. You do not, mister Brooks, can you can you explain to one.
Speaker 3: Mister Harper what that what that pen is?
Speaker 4: Sir?
Speaker 3: It is? But no, please please do.
Speaker 1: I'm just I figured, you know, you would be able to it's it.
Speaker 2: Looks good on you, sir. Can you please explain what that that?
Speaker 1: This is the Walter Payne Man of the Year lapel and I was blessed enough to uh be awarded this the first year that they renamed after mister Peyton in two thousand. So I didn't know at the time. I'm you know, twenty five years later the impact of hey, the NFL Man of the Year to the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year. But those two words in front of that would me I didn't grasp it in the year two thousand because I was so busy with my foundation and youth work and Tampa, educating these kids and getting them out of the projects. Just wondered, Hey, I'm diving into youth education. Okay, this is a recognition that's going to help me do more. Let's okay, so be it. But as I mature over the years, I started to understand what he meant to this game in terms of service beyond the game. I grasped it. Unfortunately, probably two thousand and nine after I retired, and it's like people started, hey, we really appreciate what you do it off the field more you did on the field. Those were things I was hearing around this country in terms of Derreck Brooks. And that's where I actually called talked to Jared Peyton and I say, you know what, Jared, to be the first one to win this award, and obviously you know what mister Payne means in Chicago, I will carry your family's name with more honored now that I'm retired, more than I did when I played. I said, I owe that to your family that when they's Walter Payman or the year my name is mentioned, it's with the highest level of service possible when I told him that, and that's what that's what it means to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know you wanted the first year that they had renamed it or put his name in front of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're going to take a short break and we'll be right back. So you got I'm as we say of the young kids, say, I'm gona give you a flower.
Speaker 4: So you.
Speaker 2: Fourteen amazing years, Pro Bowls, all Pro NFL Hall of Fame, Top one hundred players, Man of the Year, all the foundational charitable stuff that you do off the field, you also built. You built the high school.
Speaker 3: Show.
Speaker 2: Yes, like you've done amazing you one hundred percent graduation rates, one hundred percent graduation rate and throw that in there.
Speaker 3: Derek.
Speaker 4: Let you.
Speaker 2: If you had to have a personal Mount Rushmore of four people that have helped you become you today. Oh man, who would those four people be?
Speaker 4: Wow? Uh?
Speaker 3: On the field?
Speaker 1: Off the field man, you Well, I'm just obviously I'm gonna say this name, and not as a Mount Rushmore, but just my foundational you know, being obviously my faith, in my service, my relationship with God. That's obviously nothing to compare to that. I think of my family, it'll be a combination of my stepdad and my mom. You know one thing my stepdad did that changed my life was he whooped me in front of my fifth grade class Spencer Bibs Elementary, second floor, Room two or five. Miss Katie Lett was a teacher nineteen eighty five, farewear to ninth. Remember the day the guy that tripped me when I was running He had on brown socks. Yes, I'm still looking for that dude, but I was being a class clown. He came up to the school, he whooped me right in front of my class and say, sure you how to get last for a lifetime, but you won't get paid, and he did it. Got home that night, told me, you're taking a gift that God gave you in terms of being academically blessed, and you're abusing it by making fun of others. Why don't you be an asset son help kids that's not as smart as you instead of being a distraction, Why don't you help them? He never disciplined me again. Definitely had to put him and my mom then forcing my mom would have told me that, oh I'd have bleed her. One thousand percent.
Speaker 4: Not my dad. He's always working.
Speaker 1: He ain't got My mom said it, Hey straighten up you for real, So you know, just had to put I was my parents. The next person I would say is two coaches had to be Coach Bowden and Coach Dungee as my two and three just from the standpoint of faith, family football and to see the way that Coach Bowen did it all different diversities of backgrounds. He was solid man every Friday night building into us as men. He gave his own chapel with every one of his teams every Friday night, and it was so unique because he would take a game playing point and have a biblical story behind it, going to us that Saturday to win every Friday night, and it was just him and the team, no coaches, no trainers. He's like he said, just me, me and my men. It's my time with them, nobody else. And Coach Dungee when he got to Tampa, really gave me a direction for where I need to channel on my gifts of God when he said, we will be a team that never loses a game because we'll be a team that's playing the game of life. And he would be a coach that coached a team that this community would be proud of by how we serve it, not by how many games we win on the football field. Those things will take care of themselves. And when coach gave that speech in front of the team, man, I's like, who is this dude, Man, we just lost twelve games last year. He come here talking about the community. They wanted us to win on man, don't want to Nobody had him as a head coach. This was me in nineteen ninety six. I'm sitting there like, Man, I lost twelve games. I ain't lost twelve games, and since playing football so I was eight. He talked about the community don't want a winner. They got bags on their heads right here. Man, that was my attitude first team meeting. I loved him tell the story because he tells how I was sitting there East House.
Speaker 4: I was looking at him crazy. I look at Sap, Sath look at me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go talk to him. I said, I'm gonna go talk to him. When I did, walked in his office. Out we went to first practice, walked in his office. Hey, coach, all due respect, Man, I lost twelve games. This community want to winner. You never talked about winning the community. Okay, but what about he said, Dear, God's expecting this conversation about how usually acting. Let me explain to you. We're talking about the game of life. That's what God has in store for us. We're serving people. We're just using football. The game of life doesn't keep scoring. Because God doesn't keep scoring. We'll never lose a game. It would play the game of life. We're gonna prepare all the football things. We're gonna be accountable. Those things will take care of themselves, but we have to start here how we're gonna serve. And the light went off. I got a coach so he would be there, and probably the fourth had been my wife, Carol.
Speaker 4: A man.
Speaker 1: This lady has known me since we were nine years old, uh Spencer Bibs where I met her being a class clown. She she'll tell us she couldn't stand me when we were younger. The most she's like I was the most irresponsible disresplantion. She hated me because I made life visible for everybody. But she's known me my entire life. And to say that, you know, for her to be solid, you know, man, I sixth sixth grade, I looked at it. That's my wife. I'm gonna make sure that. But she made me work for it too. Man, you know, back in my day to write the little letter, Hey you go when you go out with me? Still and didn't get no answer to what got high schools? Like, yeah, you can take my books a class. Then I show up around the corner. Man, three friends, I gotta take all their books of class. Yes, hey take it to the movie. Sure, I show up to the movie. I'm saying, three friends there, like all right, y'all ain't getting on the drinks. She gets a popcorn. Y'all get in the movie. They win and watch the movie. I ain't have nothing to get my own ticket.
Speaker 3: Outside.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so but it all seems just she would be she would be there for.
Speaker 3: Like that I do.
Speaker 2: Man well, Derek Man, thanks man, and I love the story you shared.
Speaker 3: With Coach Dungee as well.
Speaker 2: It's almost the same things I try to talk to my kids in mine, especially my son about is that. You know Coach Dungee more words than I. It's just saying it's like, if you do the right thing for the right reasons, not when you want to or when it feels right. But all the time, usually good things will follow that. That's what he's just trying to say.
Speaker 3: This is the baseline of where we're at.
Speaker 2: When nobody else is watching, We're just gonna be doing the right thing and then God in time's gonna take care of everything else for you. And so you are a walking testament to that. So I appreciate it, man, Thanks for pouring pouring out to us. Man, it's been great finally getting to meet you. And well i've seen you meet you, yes, yeah, in this chapter in your life.
Speaker 3: Man, you're wearing it well.
Speaker 4: Brother, Well, thank you, Thank you number forty one. You keep doing your thing.
Speaker 1: Man Aside, You guys are truly a testament to preparing to life out the football and being proud of that transition. And I really really hope that we continue to have platforms to share with the men that's playing this game. Now that's don't understand all the ramifications of what owning content being in the media. How do you leverage this to when no one cares about what you're doing every single day. They care about what you're doing, what you get, and you guys could can't and will continue to show them about how you guys carry your sales man in front of these cameras. And again, as someone's watching watching it all, I appreciate that, and again, continue, please continue to maximize your platform because probably more of these young players are watching us than we realize. And they tell us that when I'm having these conversations with them, and I just thank God for the platform of a pills officer position get a chance to dig into those conversations with them because they know, as one of them players say, man, I got more resources being on a practice squad than I ever thought I would, you know, And he just got fined his first game. He's like, I don't even know what to do with it, but I wouldn't not have had a chance to talk to that young man. Have you went and talked to the financial service your sponsorship of your team and there financial services partner, They will be gladly have an opportunity to talk to you, you know, build those relationships side side the locker room. And saw it again. I want to protect this his name. Saw this young man two days ago.
Speaker 4: Thank me.
Speaker 1: He has a trust, set up, insurance policies, a budget. All these conversations happened from a young man getting fined. Now he feels he's got his foot and he's a major contributor for his team. Now, dope.
Speaker 3: I like that boy.
Speaker 2: He we thank you for coming on the part. I feel like we should take a collection. I feel like I feel like I was in church.
Speaker 3: A collection for this guy is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all of that, But mister Derek, you also one of the few brothers that you know got the great waves, do you know just.
Speaker 1: About Like yes, sir, That's why I mcfally man I hit to make fall all the time. Man say man, we do great wave brothers, like.
Speaker 2: The Wave Brothers, great wave brother That's awesome, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you coming out.
Speaker 1: Oh man.