Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done Done, Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up at SVU podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm one of your hosts, Kara Klank.
Speaker 2: And I'm the other one, Lisa Traeger. We talk SVU true crime. We have celeb guests and at first we catch up, we chit chat. We pretend I didn't just go to Kara's house to drop a load of laundry. I meet her machine. It's like we're just meeting for the first time.
Speaker 3: We've never met. But your daughter's sticker sheets are out of this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of those, like girlier ones she's not really touching. So there's like these pristine, beautiful sheets about princesses and cupcakes that she doesn't really fuck with because you know her, no.
Speaker 2: But she was gonna give me a full princess sheet, and I was like, I can't take this from a child. It was so good, well because it had all the little friends and that's what I loved. It had Lumi air clogs, worth or you know the teapot like I liked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it had all the sidekicks, all the secondary characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I enjoy little stickers of But she wanted flounder, which is cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do have very cute children, and I am leaving them to go on tour.
Speaker 3: With Lisa trigger on this.
Speaker 1: For this podcast, I obviously have to plug it every single fucking show here, I am again. Well, it's so funny because when I listen to other podcasts, I hate when they do this, Like I truly cannot hit.
Speaker 2: Fast forward fast enough. I hate myself if they don't come see us. What they gotta we gotta tell them, Yeah, we gotta let the people know.
Speaker 1: Well people, I mean like somebody just wrote come to Denver. I go, we were there last month, and she's like, how did I miss that? So it's like I just try to announce every episode because I don't know how people are taking in their information about us. But go to That's messed up live dot com. That's got all the info you need. We are kicking off the tour in literally two and a half weeks.
Speaker 3: From the day that this episode comes out. We're gonna be in DC.
Speaker 1: That show is almost sold out, so please get tickets for DC and let's finish that off. But North Carolina Rally, Atlanta Rally, and Charlotte and then Atlanta.
Speaker 3: We need you guys coming on out.
Speaker 1: So I know it's summer and you think September is far away, but it's not, so come on out see us. And then obviously there's a million other dates on that website, but I'm only plugging the September ones because they're the ones coming up.
Speaker 3: Soonest. And then yeah, that's messed up Live dot com check it out. What is going on? Lisa? Tell me what is the word? What is going on?
Speaker 2: I didn't look deep into it. I just saw the headlines. I don't know if you looked deeper. And obviously we're in the time machine. Apologize if this is done and gone. But the Lizo news is shocking, upsetting. Yeah hear, it is shocked.
Speaker 3: I very upsetting.
Speaker 2: I just hope it's not real. I hope it's a cash grab. I hope it's something weird. I hope she didn't put a banana in someone's pussy and make someone else eat it.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know what else to say, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like a sex club I think in Amster, like a strip sex club in Amsterdam. So maybe it was just like part of what was going on. It wasn't like in the dressing room like oh you know, here's a banana pussy moment.
Speaker 3: This is a lesson to read the whole article. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I woke up with like an allergy attack last night and then was just like scrolling on my phone because I couldn't get back, and I did it. I fully read like all of the information about it. It's a little confusing when people are talking about it, though, because some of it is like her either tour manager or her main dancer or something who's like this religious woman and they said that she would like proselytize about God all the time and they'd be like you have to stop, and she'd be like, I'm never gonna stop.
Speaker 3: Talking about the Lord. And I was like, oh fuck this.
Speaker 1: Woman, Like but she also I can't tell some of the things that Lizzo did versus this woman, like apparently one of the dancers was a virgin and they just became obsessed with it and talked about it all the time.
Speaker 3: And I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: Given that you and I have talked many times about how virginity is like not even real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also, if this woman loves the Lord, she must love that this woman's a virgin, so drop it.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, but they said that the woman who loves the Lord would also make weird sexual comments and like, I don't know, Lizo accused the dancers of drinking before rehearsals, and like, like one woman said that they made weight comments. I mean, I hope it's not a cash crop, but it is three of them and they all were fired from.
Speaker 3: The tour, So who knows. I guess the truth will come to light.
Speaker 2: But well, because on Instagram at the moment, she is just she's like on vacation with her boyfriend, like she's having a good time. So because if she has PRS, she knew this was coming out, so she did Was it a shock? Did she go on vacation like because of this noose stories? I wonder what she's gonna do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she's crafting a response live from vacation right now, although this will be much later of course.
Speaker 2: Because I also like every abuser should be punished, but it just it does seem like if you're a white dude, you could truly, you know, beat Madonna with a baseball bat and then win an Oscar so like, and it's usually people of color that are punished. And so it's like we're gonna we're gonna punish her to the full extent of public opinion and the law. Like I know that, like because because the dudes love it. See women do it too, see yeah, like they love it, and that's what's worried some And this is like separate, but it reminds me of the same posts.
Speaker 3: But what's the name of the girl who was found lying about Carly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like for her, someone posted like you, let's all stop with the jokes and all this, because you know she's gonna be punished to the full extent of the law, like of all the like she's gonna serve more time for this fake thing than most rapists. So and it's because of like our fervor for the case.
Speaker 1: I think, I know not I feel like she's having a mental health crisis. They just give her like you know, hospitalization as an option or something.
Speaker 2: No, there's like a documentary on Netflix. I keep avoiding because I know it's just going to make me upset. But it's how like when people are found out guilty or like someone accuses someone of aus ault, Like there's just been an influx in people getting charged for false accusations.
Speaker 3: Like it's like the Johnny Depp of it all.
Speaker 2: Like that, there's just a whole documentary about just like victims of sex crimes being punished when there are abusers are not found guilty and then they're put in jail and stuff, and I'm just like never in the mood to watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds rough.
Speaker 1: I actually just googled the Sherry Peppini case because I wanted to see what happened to her.
Speaker 3: Do you remember her? She was the woman that faked her own.
Speaker 1: Kidnapping, but she was a white blonde woman. She did in twenty twenty two, just get sentenced to eighteen months in prison, so.
Speaker 3: She's been punished as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it seems like there's more like excitement to get the liars than the rapists. Yeah, yeah, interesting, It's just it's tough. It's all tough. You usually have a fun, more fun intros. I don't know how we went from let's slately, lizz Yeah, we get we get, we can course correct. I am catching up on New York. I finally finished episode two. I'm halfway through episode three. I don't know I'm halfway. I'm no, no, I finished episode three.
Speaker 3: I'm caught up. I'm caught up.
Speaker 2: I started watching a little lamb up. Okay, you're caught up on Rony. What are we thinking?
Speaker 3: I mean, Brinn is doing so much.
Speaker 1: I get she's good TV, like definitely when she comes to the party, Like when she arrives, I'm like, Okay, this is gonna be good.
Speaker 3: But she just feels like she's doing a lot well.
Speaker 2: Brian moylan and his Vulture recap wrote something I loved where she was like, ugh, this isn't Southampton, but I guess this is if you don't own a house in the Hampton's, you don't get to complain about what area other people's houses are in.
Speaker 1: And also, sag Harbor is beautiful, Like I've been there and it is gorgeous, and to me it is very like quintessential Hampton. So I don't really know what's cool and not cool.
Speaker 3: But Evan, you don't have.
Speaker 1: Been like a full Eva ross Katz did a full slideshow of like all of the Hampton shade of like Quog.
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't have a already in Quog. Who does that? Like it's like what.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at Sagharbor. Yeah, I mean you'd still have to be a multimillionaire. Is Sagharbor expensive? The most expensive area from May twenty seventeen to May twenty eighteen, So for one year it was Yeah, I mean then probably everybody bought it up and they developed another overdeveloped another area. You know, like it's Sagharbor is really beautiful. My friend lives there or has a house there, and she lives near matt Lower.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, very rich but also canceled.
Speaker 1: But you know it's like that's an expensive place to be on the Hampton's for sure. But yeah, I agree, But like I also didn't understand what the big deal was with Jenna going to her house to sleep. That felt like such manufactured shit. And I don't like Jessel.
Speaker 3: I'll say that, no, Jessel is rough.
Speaker 2: Jessel's gonna have like a Season two full makeover, full personality chat, like she's gonna learn a lot about herself because she doesn't see herself the way she's acting. She really doesn't. I think she's gonna be horrified when she watches this footage.
Speaker 3: I really do. I get it.
Speaker 1: Somebody gives you something and makes you try it on, and you're like, I don't love it, but you're like, oh, thank you so much, Like I don't know, just like say thanks and move.
Speaker 2: On, like or you make it about you, like it was an ugly piece of lingerie, but you just go, oh, it didn't fit. Yeah, I don't know, it's a little loose, but I love it, like you don't there, I don't. But it was more than the lingerie. It wasn't about the lingerie. It was her c section scar. It was about not fucking her husband into yous. It was about and then getting the most frumpy lingerie like. It wasn't about the lingerie. But I think she's just like not in tune with her own self to see that or that.
Speaker 1: But also when she was like at an l you never want to see that on lingerie, I'm like, what, Like, why are you saying like you really wanted to be an s or an excess? I'm like, nothing I own has an s or an excess on it, and I feel pretty good.
Speaker 3: So like, ye, I didn't like that.
Speaker 1: I was like, it's really weird to be like, like, I don't know fat Shamy on a Housewives at this juncture in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like I said, I don't think she's into like she married a dude.
Speaker 3: She wasn't really that.
Speaker 2: Hot for like, yeah, she's just she's in fashion, but is a fashion victim according to Jenna Lyons. No, the Jenna of it all, she's so mature but even like I just think Brin's maybe not smart enough because she was trying to make that connection between Jena, like and it's like your issues are different. You ditched dinner, lied went to a different restaurant and posted photos on your social media versus Jenna just wanted to sleep in quiet and not ruin their party, right, Like why why are you trying to compare the.
Speaker 3: Two so crazy? She she kind of has like Uba humor light.
Speaker 2: We talked about this where it's just like super hot girl comedy that's not funny, it's uncomfortable, and they just are not reprimanded for it.
Speaker 1: Did I like blame or did they? What UBA's deal is she single? Does she have any kids? Like she's just like a single gal or what like. I don't know anything. I don't remember seeing her house. I don't remember like anything about her.
Speaker 2: Weirdly, she lives in Columbus Circle, and I've never met anyone that lives in Columbus Circle.
Speaker 1: Well, they because I think they have those luxury buildings there, like by the Mandrion and stuff.
Speaker 2: Sure it's just and she know, she she says she goes to the Central Park a lot. Like I'm sure she's close and like it just seems like such a wild place to live.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that curved mall, that curved mall is just like what where are we?
Speaker 1: I lived twenty blocks from there, and I never went into that mall. Like I think I met my friend there once for like coffee and was like where are we? Like, and my therapist was right there. I just never went into that freaking place.
Speaker 2: Oh I peed at that mall often. I would say that was okay, But did you ever go walk around eat dinner like I did? Well before I'm moved, you know, like before you moved to a place and you're just visiting, it's like you don't know anything. So I did have like a birthday dinner up there once with my family, and then once I lived there, it's like, wait, what.
Speaker 5: This happened to me?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 2: Like I remember I would visit friends in Brooklyn, and then when I moved, I was like, I can't believe we went to that bar like this firefighter bar or whatever, like everything makes more sense. So I have and there was an h and M Listen, I've been to that mall. I have, yeah, and they have a little moleskin. I'm not a Moleskin girl, but they have like a notebook little thing that I enjoyed, like a whole store or like a Kiosk. That's the word I was looking before that I could not figure out.
Speaker 3: I was like that little thing, the little thing, the little thingy.
Speaker 2: Oh, my niece and nephews are making fun of their dad because he got tricked by a Kiosk to buy products and they just like made fun of him.
Speaker 1: Wait, and so I will say another thing about Rony too is I.
Speaker 3: Was googling Brinn's ethnicity.
Speaker 1: Only because when she get the fridge open, she goes white people, and I go, are you not white?
Speaker 3: Because she's very like white passing to me.
Speaker 1: So I googled it and apparently it's going to be in her storyline later.
Speaker 3: It's not all or says Yes.
Speaker 1: I found like one of those chummy articles that's like really shitty and like not well written, but like it's just a bunch of collections of shit about art. It's like her ethnicity and background will be a storyline in this coming season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but even if you're white, I think you're allowed to be like white people are insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it just seemed like you came, you got out of the car, and you were like, I guess this is an okay part of the Hampton's and then you can't open a modern fridge and you're like white people.
Speaker 2: It just seemed like all over the place, like she is always they all are. I mean, that's the whole thing. And I don't know what's my idea, what is Brian Moylin's, but like they're not they are archetypes or whatever, you know what I mean, Like they're coming in with over a debt, like fifteen years of housewives to have studied, so we will never get that authenticity of just like someone who doesn't know, like even Jenna leaving and they're like that's so rude, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like I just don't think it's that rude. I don't.
Speaker 2: She's and she gave you the reason, and you guys keep going it's because you think you're better than us. In this house is beneath you. And it's like, I don't think Jenna thinks that at all. She's quite quiet, has not started fights, like I don't understand. Yeah, but the disease Jena Lions has does suck.
Speaker 3: I was researching it. Oh what is it?
Speaker 2: It's like your hair falls out, your teeth fall out, and you have scars all over your skin. That's why she's always wearing so much, so much clothes. And she has dentures and a wig not a wig of pieces. Yeah, it's like this, she has dentures. I knew something was going on with her teeth.
Speaker 3: Well, she mentioned she had fake teeth. It's on a YouTube.
Speaker 2: I went on a deep dive, so I don't know where it is what, But I watched a lot of press videos that Jenna Lions did to promote her eyelash company. Because your hair falls out and falls eyelashes were like too aggressive for her and she just wanted like regular ones and so she created a company.
Speaker 3: So what are her what's her eyelashes? I don't remember, like Lucy's or whatever.
Speaker 2: But the containers also fully biodegradable, recyclable.
Speaker 1: And but how are they different from fake eyelashes? Are there are there individuals or like what?
Speaker 3: Girl? I don't know. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 2: They're just like lighter, maybe more natural, not as intense but easy. No, it's a strip, but like just light brown. So it's like you're just wearing lashes. You're not like I'm wearing lashes. Yeah, you're not like I'm a Kardashian totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But she it's funny when you want you bang watch like all the like binge watch now, well I can't remember anyone watch. It is like she just talks about the same skirt over and over. She talks about the same like elements and all of her because she she has this one incredible skirt that she wore to the Meta and then to Solange's wedding and like she loves the skirt.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been following her on Instagram, Jenna, Yes, she's intriguing.
Speaker 2: And when Sy is like granny, it's like, yeah, she's twenty years older than all of you.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, even she wants to go to bed at ten and she has a six o'clock call.
Speaker 3: I get that, Like, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's it's like they don't realize we're okay having housewives have fun, Like we're okay with that, Like we're happy to see you guys enjoy yourselves. You don't have to fight about who's sleeping in what room, like you really don't. It's like they don't understand what we want. But I just like it, and I like I just I like them. I'm into it. It's it is a breath of fresh air, even though they're playing archetypes. Yes, I got one of our friends into Below Deck Sailing Yacht and they're like so into it now they watch below Deck Original.
Speaker 3: On the flight.
Speaker 2: But so we were watching Sailing at and Magda this one character is like, uh, you know, I'm just Latina.
Speaker 3: It's the Latina energy.
Speaker 2: And then you hear the producer off stage go are you Latina and she goes no, just on the inside, oh wow, But she's like it's more fun than being polish.
Speaker 3: It's like sure, Magda, Magda baby, No, no, no, no, no, we can't actually do that. It was really funny.
Speaker 2: But she was just really sexy dancing with a deck guy who used to be a cop. And then it found like then they mentioned his boyfriend and her boyfriend and he flipped out. He's like, you should have told me blah blah blah, and she was like, well, I'm supposed to get on a boat and go Hi. I'm MAGNI, I have a boyfriend, Like, I'm not just dance with you. It's I don't know, it's a good season. I just love it. Oh, I dropped a coin. Did you guys hear that?
Speaker 3: Should we start?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We have more star dives. No, this is good.
Speaker 1: I don't have any other feelings. Let's get going. We've got a great up for you guys today, a great interview from before the strike.
Speaker 3: Hang out. We'll be right back hello. Today's episode is called lead Season ten, episode fifteen, taking you back to March of nine. For most years, I've been calling it Pika.
Speaker 1: You've been calling it the peak episode. Not even how you say it is pronounced paika. And we will get to it. But if you know, you know, and a lot of you probably know, But this is a good episode. It's really twisty in turny, like so we open on doctor Gilbert Kepler, who is being sentenced. I thought this man looked familiar, so I looked him up the name. The guy's name is Lawrence Aroncio. He's been on a bunch of lawn Order original recipe. I don't think I know him from there. He also plays a sackler on Dope Sick, so I think he must play evil men a lot. And then, holy shit, I keep digging, and the dude is married to Anne Dowd. They are married almost forty years and they have three kids.
Speaker 3: Couldn't believe it. Stop yep, Oh my god. And then I couldn't believe I forgot she's in this fucking episode. So it's amazing.
Speaker 1: So that's a little connect in case you haven't figured that out. This guy, I think he's done a lot of theater and stuff like that as well. That's probably how him and Am met. But he has a decent IMDb. I just don't know what I really know him from. And anyway, this guy Kepler is being found guilty on four accounts of aggravated sexual abuse in the fourth degree. Anyone who's anyone is in the gallery. It's beens, and it's Stayblert's Kragan and then it's Grayle's little bitch Faces prosecuting.
Speaker 3: They ask this man if he has anything to say.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like they really do that, Like there's like a guilty verdict, like they're like, we find him guilty. They go through all accounts, guilty, guilty, geising, and then like anything to say. I don't really feel like they do that in the show most of the time. But what the guy says is I never meant these young men any harm.
Speaker 3: Sure jam so, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And by the way, we've scanned the audience to the gallery and it's like a lot of young boys and their fans, so we know this guy has been molesting young boys in some capacity. And his lawyer is mister Cindy Lauper aka David Thornton aka Lionel Granger. We've been this is a big episode for Lionel Granger. He is popping in this EPP. He asks for the Petos bail to be extended until sentencing, and gray Lik's like, this man has a nine million dollar family fortune to skip town with, and his lawyer's like, well, only fucking Grangers like Bunny paid the.
Speaker 3: Half a million with his own money. He's so like low tempo.
Speaker 1: And the judge, who, by the way, is Barry Mordock, who we have seen in many, many famous episodes as a defense attorney, has now moved on up and is Judge Barry Mordoc.
Speaker 3: He says, we'll split the baby.
Speaker 1: Kepler can stay out on bail as long as he wears an ankle. Monitor cut to Graylex outside giving a wintry press conference. She's happy about the ruling, but she's mad that his sentence is limited to sixteen years. He violated his oath as a pediatrician, so now we're finding out this guy's a fucking pediatrician, which as someone who has a mother who's a pediatrician. And after we covered that story that you told us about, like I don't know, seventy five episodes ago, that was horrific. It's like, that's just such a trusted position in someone's life. To fucking do that is so horrible. And she says he not only violated his oath, but he shattered the lives of four boys and their families. And it's like, if you know anything about predators, there's no way it was only four boys, like this guy wasn't like, yeah, just for four times, I'm gonna try this, Like no, Lionel Grainger starts to muscle through the crowd to get to the press conference. He serves Cragan and the detectives with a subpoena and he goes the NYPD knew that Kepler was sexually abusing his victims long before they did anything about it, and not to me, that doesn't sound like our squad. But Craigan and Benson and Olivia start to scoot away from the press conference. The press starts closing in on them, like why did you allow the doctor to molest boys? Why do you love pedophiles? Like they're doing their full like you know, press conference thing. As they are all walking away, grayla goes, what the hell did you people do?
Speaker 3: And it's like get the fuck out of here, gray Lick. So now that's the credits.
Speaker 1: At the top of act one, Daddy, Craigan, Olivia, and Elliott are back at the precinct. They're walking and talking stables, talking shit about Granger and Kepler. But Live is like, could he be right? Did we take too long to bring Kepler in? Stabler's like we played this by the book, Nit never, he never really wants to apologize for anything. Craigan explains that Granger's strategy. I don't really get this, but Grainger's strategy is to blame the NYPD so that Kepler gets a lighter sentence on appeal, like, well, you did something bad, but the cops could have stopped him, so let's give him less time in jail. Like that doesn't I don't get the logic, but that's apparently the strat. Craigan says that the department will indemnify them, which I think means like the bag there, yeah, I think Taylor is yeah at the police academy. I guess it's like the department will pay for them. When they get personally sued, the department pays for them. But when they get to Craigan's office, a jeep scratch goes, I'll be the judge of that. And it is our best friend Robert John Burke aka ed Tucker from IAB and this is him in his villain era. He is not our cool Olivia's boyfriend guy, yet we do not like him here and.
Speaker 2: Also an lol because in the real world, yes, IAB investigate the cops, but in this twisted handa universe. He is evil because he's trying to hold us the cops still a standard.
Speaker 1: Right, and so Cragan's like, civil suits aren't your jurisdiction, Dog, and he's like yeah, unless you guys fucked up, and Olivia's like, we nailed the guy and got a conviction. And Tucker's like, well, then why did the commissioner send me to clean up the steaming pile of crap you left at his doorstep?
Speaker 3: And Stabler goes, oh, did he give you a bag?
Speaker 6: Year?
Speaker 1: Do you like the stench on your hands? And I would honestly watch a show that's just these two fighting. It's kind of hot. The only thing that reeks around here, he said, is how you handle this case? And Tucker says, this last victim is on you. So now this is like very cinematic what happens in the rest of this act because it's Stabler talking to Tucker Ben talking to Tucker, but in between there's like grainy footage of how they handled the case going back like a few weeks. So now Stabler and Tucker are one on one with some sound recording equipment. It sounds like they're starting a podcast on Toxic Man. And masculinity called what did you just say to me? And Tucker points out that a fourteen year old boy came in and reported Kepler and they waited three weeks to collar him, allowing him to abuse another victim. And he's like, we needed time to do a thorough investigation, says Stabler. Tucker accuses him of dragging ass. Why didn't you pick him up right away? And Stabler's like, he didn't rape any of his victims, so we didn't have any DNA. I didn't want him to lawyer up before we had time to collect evidence. And Tucker goes, what more evidence do you need? And it's like and he goes, Justin mctegue gave you Kepler and a silver platter. And it's like someone coming in with an X with just an accusation is.
Speaker 3: A silver platter for you? Like he is being annoying.
Speaker 1: Tucker is like, yeah, all you need is an accusation, Like, clearly doesn't work in us for you. Stabler's like, dude, it would be his word versus the doctor's word. Plus this kid, Justin had falsely accused his math teacher last year and then changed his story to say it was.
Speaker 3: His pediatrician, who did it.
Speaker 1: We go to a grainy flashback of Justin disclosing to Benson and Sabler.
Speaker 3: They brought the teacher in. They bought the teacher a lot of takeout.
Speaker 1: There is a ton of takeout on the table when they're talking to the teacher.
Speaker 2: Just like extra annoying because it's like when they play fast and loose, they're in trouble, and then now when they're trying to get all the evidence, they're in trouble. Yeah, so it's just like, oh, John Tucker must die. How about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Almost speaking about Tucker his.
Speaker 2: Middle real name and his character's last name. That is what I did.
Speaker 1: Speaking of another Tucker though, this man on the teacher that they bring in does have a Tucker Carlson haircut, and he swears he's never touched anyone. And now Tucker is in one on one with Olivia, his future girlfriend, who says that they interrogated the teacher for eighteen hours and he never gave in. Like when they finally told him it was Justin, he proved that Justin's accusation was bullshit. So there are photos of the teacher getting cash at the time that Justin said he quote unquote touched his junk and the same day he busted you for smoking weed during lunch, and Justin's like.
Speaker 3: I was scared. I would have gotten expelled, My parents would have killed me.
Speaker 1: And Olivia's like, do you know what you've done to this teacher? Like I like get scared that there's so much on television about falsely accusing a teacher, like you do truly like ruin a teacher's life, like just by being like, oh, they tried to give me a bad grade, even though a ton of teachers are fucking students, so never mind.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, just in the SVU universe, like Billy Porter's episode, he didn't do it, and then the one with Betty Gilpin, like he lied and said that Buster from Arrested Development didn't and didn't and it wasn't him. You know, like the kids in the SVU universe are lying. Yeah, the universe. Yeah, and this you believe victims, believe victims. I believe, completely believe victims, but a hundred because then we have the episode with the team what's that one the I had sex with my sister, you know, she's having sex with the choir teacher. Yeah, there's a lot of cases in and out.
Speaker 1: But the Betty Gilpin episode, she's having Yeah, like the teachers are having sex with the kids, for sure.
Speaker 2: But it was Betty Gilpin. But the kid Luca lied and said it was you know Buster.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, it is just like scary that it's like you just don't want to if you don't want to get a bad grade and you say something like that about a teacher, it could truly just like because you can't come back from it is the thing, you know, you just can't come back from accusations.
Speaker 3: Because we have to take them very seriously.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also here the kids like there is a you know, because in the other one it's like there is abuse, but they don't want because there's another one.
Speaker 3: Is it the Jeanette mccurty one, Yes, the Jeanet mccurty one.
Speaker 1: She accuses a teacher, but it's not the teacher, it's it's the boy on the soccer team, yeah, or lacrosse team.
Speaker 3: There's just a lot, there's a lot of these. Yeah, there's a lot of these.
Speaker 1: Cut to Tucker talking to Craigan, who explains that the teacher quit the business. He couldn't even handle the whispers and the looks. He lost his career because this kid made up a story. So that's what I'm talking about. When he accused Kepler of the same crime, Tucker's like, you just let it go.
Speaker 3: And then this other kid got molested.
Speaker 1: And this is annoying because Tucker is acting like he doesn't know how it works to actually convict someone of an SVU crime, like Craigan spells it out, any decent defense attorney would absolutely kill Justin's testimony because of prior lying. So he told Benson and Stabler to find another victim, and like, one boy is never enough for a guy like Kepler, as I said, And so it took them three weeks to find Bradley Hicks. And then we get into a flashback where Stabler is talking to Bradley Hicks about what happened. He said the doctor molested him, he describes it. Kepler tells him it was part of his treatment, and Stabler tells Craigan that the story matches Justin's story exactly, and he gives the go ahead to arrest him. They walk in on him mid molestation and he says he looks sketchy, as hell like, he covers everything up and then he says doctor Kepler says it's urethral milking, which I don't like the sound of that at all, and so they arrest the doctor right then in there. So then Stabler tells Tucker another victim came happy for SVU tattoo.
Speaker 3: We'll get your ethrial milking on our wrist. Sick. Oh my god, to look out forever and over.
Speaker 1: And then Stabler tells Tucker that another victim came forward when he saw the doctor in cuffs on TV and they found that kid's DNA on a glove in Kepler's garbage, which they must have had to test a fuckload of gloves. So Tucker seems to be getting the big picture. In the next scene, Craigan goes Tucker even apologize and maybe this is where he starts to make a turn for the better, like you know, and Kragan's like, anything more on Kepler needs to go through me. Meanwhile, Munch and Finn are like, well, while you guys have been fucking around with IMDb, I pulled UPDB iab are.
Speaker 3: We switching places in this episode?
Speaker 2: Okay, Friday, I think it would be fun to do a Freaky Friday with us two as the main characters.
Speaker 3: It would be funny. Yeah, sorry it is.
Speaker 2: We are very opposite but similar, But it would be wild. If I just had to be a mother of two and you came and had to clean my apartment, you would be like at.
Speaker 3: The fountain throwing the coins in, like get me or whatever it is that switches him back. You'd like, for chata, get me out of here. Okay.
Speaker 1: So meanwhile, Munch and Finn are like, well, since you guys been fucking around with iab I pulled up Kepler's lawsuit against Denslow Hospital, which states that Kepler claims he knew the hospital knew that he was molesting boys a year before the NYPD did, and they didn't stop it. And Stabler's like, well, that sounds like it's bullshit. So Benson is Stabler go talk to the hospital's attorney and he's like, his name's cold Well, and he's like, I can't say anything. I can't talk to you, I can't comment on pending litigation. But he's like, the hospital did not knowing let Kepler molest boys, and liv Is like, well, let's ask Kepler, and Stabler's like lady, we can't go near that guy. And she's Live, has her little light bulb moment and goes, no, if the hospital committed a crime, Kepler's a material witness.
Speaker 3: We can investigate that crime. It's different.
Speaker 1: So they go to Kepler's home, which is a brownstone in the high sixties the Upper East, and when they get there, rut Row there is blood on the threshold.
Speaker 3: The door is open.
Speaker 1: They enter the residence and they find Kepler lying on his living room floor, splatter marks everywhere, a golf club next to his body, dead as hell. Live calls it in. Stabler calls Kragan later in the street. Everyone's bustling. QD o'hallerin is like, when can I get my scantron going or whatever he calls it, the scan o mattic or something, and Olivia is like, give me a second, and then lives on the phone getting trying to get Melinda there as quick as possible, but there's been a crane collapse in the Bronx and so Melinda's up to her elbows and bodies.
Speaker 3: And then Munch says, I heard doctor Kepler came down with a case of justice prova.
Speaker 2: I never caught that a crane collapse. So Melinda's up to her elbows and bodies, like, I never caught that in this episode that there was a crane collapse, so I just like that.
Speaker 3: I just assumed that there would be a lot of casualties. And she's busy, but uh, because she's not exactly going to places where there's a lot of living people, you know. So she's two hours out.
Speaker 1: They say, so, then we get Munch's cute little line, and then Finn goes, more like someone saved the state a couple million bucks in a prison cell, and then Craigan says, we got to wait on Gray Lick, but hold on one goddamn second. Finn goes, that's not Gray Lick, who comes striding towards them alongside Daddy Craigan, looking gorgeous as ever. But Alexandra Cabbot herself back from witness protection in Wisconsin where she was forced to be called Emily Olivia looks shocked. Soda Stabler, what a way to end and act. So now top of AC two, as Cabot is checking out Kepler's bashed in head, she lets the detectives know what the new that the new administration called Gray Lick back to the Justice Department. So this is early nine, which I guess means Obama wanted Gray Lick back on his side.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine it.
Speaker 1: But but this is gray Look's last episode.
Speaker 3: She's never seen from again.
Speaker 1: After this press conference on the steps about doctor Kepler.
Speaker 3: She's out. Hooray, she's gone.
Speaker 1: Benson and Stabler are kind of grilling Alex, like, Babe, when did you get to town? I mean, like, we didn't know anything about this, And Cabin is just kind of like scanning the room and getting warmed back up to the whole, like being in the room with a dead body thing. Like she's been off of it for a little while. And she says, I got all your messages. I would go to call you and then I would remember. And Sabler's like, remember what that We were there when you got attempted blown up, And Benson is like, and we heard that Valz died in prison. Connor's got extradited to Ireland, So you've been out of witness protection for three years.
Speaker 3: Like not a Christmas card, not a not a not a text. That's annoying. She could still be scared or nervous. There was a lot, there was car explosions. The fucking like gangs were after her, like to make it about them, of like why didn't you text? And it's like I don't know PTSD bitch, Yeah yeah, tick off. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they were just like, wait, or is this after the Oh? Yeah, because why does she go to the congo later later?
Speaker 3: Yeah? This is the season ten. She she's in.
Speaker 1: She's back in and out right now temporary and stuff like, but uh, she does a bunch more than the congo. So anyway, they're having this awkward reunion.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Hallarin interrupts them and tells them that the golf club is what killed the guy. Even though nine shots were fired, the purpose sucked so bad at aiming. Only one billet hit him and it hit him in the knee. So on the skin it's called the scan station. I was calling it a scantron on the where you take your sat on the scan station, which is like this thing that scans the whole room and shows you all the trajectories of all the bullets. It makes a diagram for you so you can see everything. You can see that one shot immobilized him. But the purp ran out of ammo and finished the job with the golf club, the purp left a pair of gloves there as well. Cabot calls this overkill, which is kind of like pun intended, because he seemed very dead, like his brain was bashed in extra hard, and Stabler also says it must have been someone he knew there was no forced entry. Could have been one of the boys from the trial or one of their family members. So then Live starts going, Oh, we're just gonna find DNA on that glove and then compare it to the victims, and Cabot's like, we actually can't do that. She's like, why we have all their DNA, and She's like, because they gave their DNA as victims of sexual assault, which Olivia knows that you can't do because remember when we did Tangled Strands of Justice with orphe who she was playing the detective who used rape victims DNA to like bust them for larceny and petty crimes. So that DNA is sealed, we're going to have to ask the family's permission, and Craigan says, go easy. If these parents run to the press about this, we're fucked. So now we're talking to Justin's mom who says that she and Justin went to stay at an island to her sister's house to toast the verdict the night before. They stayed the night because she got too buzzed and drunk from toasting her son's pediatrician and molester going to jail. And the mom's like, you're barking up the wrong tree. We didn't want his life, we wanted his money. We're not gonna get shipped from Denslow Hospital because we all signed arbitration papers. Some suit told them that they had to sign these papers or Kepler couldn't treat their kids anymore, and that they thought he was a good doctor and they trusted him, so they all signed. And how fucking dark is that this hospital knew probably that this guy was doing this shit and got these parents to all sign away their rights before it blew up.
Speaker 3: My thing is like, what is it? What's in it for the hospital? Just fire him?
Speaker 2: I know what, he's that good of a pediatrician. I just don't get I don't get it. I mean, this happens constantly the Catholic Church. Everyone Catholic Church do it. It's because you take responsibility. If you fire him, then you're open to lawsuits and litigation. I think, I think, I don't know, that's why I'm just like spitballing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's fucked up.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is literally a Catholic church thing where they're just like, oh, let's just hide it instead of like trying to actually get rid of the problem. So then the mom tells them about Lillian Seifeld, whose name is almost Seinfeld minus one letter, Kepler's head nurse for years. She told the parents not to sign, but then she disappeared. So Munch tracks her down at en if it isn't Anne fucking Dowd okay, And I wondered if she got the script and was like, my husband would make an amazing pedophile, Like how are they both cast? I need to know why won't the casting director of this show come on our show? I really want to know how this husband and wife duo got wrapped up in this episode together.
Speaker 3: Damn they've been married since nineteen eighty four, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Forty years almost, and they they have three kids.
Speaker 3: It's cute.
Speaker 1: So Munch goes to talk to her and she's like, and Munch goes, why haven't we heard about you? And she's like, I guess they deleted the records. I don't know if they see me talking to you, and it's like, who sees me? So now we cut to Lillian in a wooden blind's room and I call it an interview room. It's a wooden blind's room, and she's spilling it to Stabler that she said that the guys told her that they would take away her job and her pension. And they show her a photo of the Denslow lawyer Coldwell and she goes, yes, that's the guy who threatened me. And she says she should have done more. And she said, normally there's always a nurse chaperone when he does young girls, which I actually was just offered yesterday when I went to the dermatologist, I was offered for a chaperone to come in, for a female doctor to come look at my moles. And I was like, I'm okay, I don't think if you do anything, I think I'm She was like half my size. I was like, I think I can fight my way out of this. But I was offered a chaperone as an adult. So they're still doing that, which is good. But it was busy that day, she said, and she walked into the wrong room and she saw Kepler with Dale Overton, who was one of the boys from the trial. She saw Kepler molesting him and they're like, and you just let it go. You didn't do anything, And she's like, no, I went to HR I reported it. Cold Well the lawyer brought me in and said the hospital takes this kind of thing very seriously, but that it was her word against Kepler's. She said cold Well believed her but didn't think a jury would. She threatened to come to the cops, but Coldwell said, I'll take away your job and your health insurance. And her husband is sick, so she didn't know what to do. And and Out is such a good actress.
Speaker 3: You really feel for her. You're like, oh my god, rock in a hard place.
Speaker 1: But also, if you listen to Doctor Death season two, there was this whole fucking thing.
Speaker 3: About a nurse who reported.
Speaker 1: This doctor a million times and no one did anything about it. Like, I don't think that hospitals take what nurses say about doctors seriously all the time. And my mother in law's a nurse and she's told me, like, you know, you can get some doctors that just really look down on nurses and don't see them as like people that are partners in healthcare with them. And so sometimes nurses are reporting doctors just like out of spite because they're dicks, but all a lot of times they're.
Speaker 3: Doing bad things. And the Doctor.
Speaker 1: Death podcasts really show you how doctors are so like immune from checks and balances and like like getting in trouble. Like I don't even know how to verbalize this, but like, well, they all.
Speaker 2: Have God complexes and it seems like the hospital reiterates it to them like confirms.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like in the first season of Doctor Death, this guy was fucking killing people and in the second season he was telling people they had cancer when they didn't to get more money.
Speaker 3: Like it.
Speaker 1: It's fucked and like people are telling on them and there are not investigations or the investigations are internal, the way that colleges hide investigations and make it all internal and don't involve law enforcement.
Speaker 2: Anyways, A lot of people have been talking to me about Retrieval.
Speaker 3: Were you one of those people? Have you heard of it a movie?
Speaker 2: Yes, No, it's not, it's a podcast series, but multiple people have brought it up to me. It was an IVF clinic and after a retrieve or egg egg freezing whatever, after retrievals IVF, I don't know which one. Like, all these women were complaining about pain and they were like shut up women. But what was happening was one of the nurses was addicted to fetanol was taking all their pain meds and switching it out with saline. So all these women in horrific pain were just getting saline crying for help, and everyone's like, shut up.
Speaker 1: And that's what Doctor Death in season one did as well. He was, oh, I'm sorry, That's what dear John did in Dirty John.
Speaker 3: Dirty John.
Speaker 1: He was an antithesiologist with a drug problem, and he would just take the drugs and not give them to the patients, and people would just be screaming about their pain. So fucked up, like so fucked up. So okay, So poor Lilian.
Speaker 3: They listen.
Speaker 1: Poor Lily, and we could see is between a rock and a hard place with this whole thing, and she didn't know what to do. Cabint and Craig and we pull out to see Cabinet Crag are watching through the fishbowl and Cabot's like that hospital is basically the Catholic church. They don't care about protecting the boys. They're just plugging up the leaks. And they can't get cold well on obstruction because as the hospital's attorney, Kepler is also his client, and Cabot says they have him on one count of obstruction for buying Lilian's silence, and that's just for starters. So she does think she can make a case, but Finn updates the gang that regarding Kepler's murder, they've got nothing. All the victims and the family members have airtight alibis. Kepler died at approximately one am, and Warner found traces of gold plating in his head wounds. CSU also found skin cells in the gloves. Warner got a bunch of hits, but only one of them is not in jail, Clive Linnwood on Fifth Avenue, who also has a gun. It's at this point that we should know why are there so many hits on these skin cells. It's because of the way that they're doing this DNA test. So they go to the man's home, Clive Linwood, and a young guy opens the door and you can tell he might be a little bit developmentally disabled because he's like hi my name's Jeff.
Speaker 3: Are you the police? Like?
Speaker 1: He just seems younger than he is. Then he presents and the guy playing Jeff is John Gallagher Junior, who you might recognize from the newsroom.
Speaker 3: He's also a Broadway baby.
Speaker 1: He was an American idiot and won a Tony for Spring Awakening, very very talented. And Benson and Stabler tell them they have a search warrant for the place, and he goes, want me to help you, so clearly something's up. He shows them the gun box, but it's empty, and he's like, uh oh ah, and then he tells them that the gun is gold ding ding ding, the gold plating we just heard about.
Speaker 3: That's where I might have come from.
Speaker 1: Then the parents come home and the dad is played by Frederick Lane or Lenney.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you say this name.
Speaker 7: Fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has like one hundred and fifty credits, including Dexter New Blood and Eyes of Tammy Fay, which are two things I've watched recently. But he has over one hundred fifty credits, so he's been in a ton of stuff and he's like, where's my gun and they immediately start to arrest him.
Speaker 3: He has no clue who he may have murdered.
Speaker 1: They're like, he's like, you're arested for murder and he's like, of who, And Jeff the Sun is saying, please don't take my dad to jail. Please don't take my dad to jail, over and over and that's the end of Act two. So Act three Clive Linwood's lawyer is Laurna, scary who we talked about recently, and she is scary. She goes to Alex's Cabot appeals got so boring you came back for more sex capades and sex capades is a wild way to think of SVU and the crind of crimes they have to deal with, Like what if that was also in the running along with sex police for the name of the show. Originally they're like, well we've got sex Police, sex.
Speaker 3: Capades or Special Victims Unit. But I'm glad they settled on what they settled on.
Speaker 1: Laurna is baiting Cabot and is like, you've lost your touch and it's like, how dare you, Alex Habit will wipe the floor with you. Not only is this guy's handgun missing, but his DNA was found at the scene and they have the DNA because of a menacing charge. So then he tells them the whole story about the menacing charge and he's not relatable at all, but he thinks he is. He's like, I'm headed back from the Hamptons, right, I get pulled over and get asked to take us a variety test. I made a joke to the trooper about him having something against guys who drive maseratis. He got pissy, and Stabler goes, maybe because of the point two you blew into the breathalyser, which that is drunk, Like I really, that's super wasted, like you usually hear of high ones and like point two, that's fucked. So Clive says, because he had a Swiss Army knife in the console, the trooper said that he would up the dui to menacing because he had a weapon. And Cabot asks, how did your DNA get into Kepler's Brownstone? And Scary's like, here's the fun part. We don't have to explain shit. See you in court and she's like, deuces, we're out. And then at arraignment, Cabot is reunited with her best friend, Judge Lena Petrovski. Scary argues the prosecution has no evidence, and Petrovski's like, what about the DNA. Scary goes, there are thirteen genetic markers that need to be matched in order. That's the standard. This man was ided with only five and a half. And then Cabot's like, there's a one in a million chance that it could be someone else. And then Scary goes, if you compare those markers to the people in the New York database, the number goes down to one in three, and I'm like, the math is not mathing for me. I don't understand how that's the truth. Like, if it's five and a half markers then and it's one on a million, then it's one in a million. But Scary also she goes, it could be that guy who killed him. It could be that guy, or it could be that guy who's actually on the FBI DNA Advisory Board, and he will back me up. And so she brings in the big guns from the FBI, and Cabot is like, Petrovski, Babe, my friend, the courts have never ruled against law enforcement on this issue. And Petrovski's like, don't threaten me with a good time, and she throws the DNA match out. She goes, there's a first time for everything, and then she dismisses the charges because now without the DNA there's nothing, and then she gives the cumeer finger to Cabot. She goes, I'm glad you're back, Alexandra. Try to show up prepared next time. Burn a very very sick burn from Petrofsky. Live and Elliott are now trying to find something else to link Lynnwood to Kepler. To me, it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do, but I'll get into that when we find out what the link is. They're talking to o'haleran, who shows them a fingerprint that was literally etched into the bullet from being heated up when fired. And this shows that the gunman didn't wear gloves to load the gun, but also that print's not in the system, so we're kind of at a dead end. O'haleran also put his own print on a bullet, but that one didn't etch, and he go They're like, why didn't your print show up? And he goes, because I'm a vegetarian, and I'm like, ooh, go on. He says, fingerprints are chemical secretions. We secrete what we eat. His prints are less likely to corrode metal because his diet is lower in sodium. And I was like, well, that knocked me right off my high horse, because I eat plenty of sodium. Like I am, cheese is replacing meat for me. I'm sodium to the highest degree. And I am definitely getting my fingerprints etched into a bullet. So this guy, they said, either eats too much salt or he works around it. Live has another light bulb moment. Thank god she works on this squad. She's like, oh, like at a fast food restaurant. Jeff, the son of Clive, was wearing a Happy Burger uniform when we went to search the Lindwood home. That's why Clive popped on the DNA. He shares half his DNA with his son. Cut to Elliott leading Jeff into an interview room. He's drinking a soda. He's jazz because he got to ride in a police car. Then he's done with his soda. Lives like, let me take that for you, obviously doing the old DNA trickery.
Speaker 2: But she touches it with her full hands, like I was watching her. She truly grabs it with two hands. All her prints are on it, like usually they're a little more careful.
Speaker 3: I need from the bottom.
Speaker 1: I saw that too, But also her prints are in the system and can be easily like knocked out.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: Excluded is what I meant to say. So, but I did clock that as well. I was like, live hold it from the bottom. What's going on? This guy is in a great mood. He got to ride in a cop car. He's hanging out, he's loving it. He's like, am I in trouble? Are you guys going to take my prints? And when they ask about the gun, he said I'm not supposed to touch it. It's not a toy, but that his dad had taken him to the range to learn how to shoot before. Meanwhile, Hollarin is like right in the next room taking like sweeping the powder over the print and taking masking tape to get it off the cup, and like we're we're working immediate results here from O'Halleran in the next room. So o'haalaran matches the print, It's good to go. It's this guy's print. Live comes into the room and she kind of like lightly mirandizes Jeff She's like, hey, Jeff, you know you don't have to talk to us if you don't want to, and like we could use something that you say against you and you can get a lawyer if you want.
Speaker 3: And he's like, it's okay. I like talking to you.
Speaker 1: You're pretty like obviously she bewitches everyone and he asks She asks him, do you know doctor Kepler? He shakes his head no, but he won't make eye contact. He's clearly lying, and he finally admits that he went to Kepler when he was younger, but then he wanted to go to a different doctor. And they're like why, and he's like, because we learned in school that no one is supposed to touch you down there. Kepler told him it was okay because he was a doctor. Jeff saw the verdict on TV and was mad because Kepler told him a lie. So I guess I'm wondering, like the Linwood family was never run through the people that would possibly know Kepler, like you would obviously know this guy was a patient, that this kid was a patient.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't know why they have to like connect it this way. It seems pretty obvious if you've done the research. And also why did these parents not bring him forward as a victim to also like add to this guy's sentence, like it would be more count the water if.
Speaker 2: He never told the parents, because the doctor said, oh, I'm just a doctor, Like I wonder if he didn't know anything was even wrong.
Speaker 3: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: But they make it seem very soon like the mom knew about the abuse because like she hires Granger. You know, I don't know, but I don't know. Jeff saw the verdict on TV. It made him mad because Kepler lied to him. He took his dad's gun to Kepler's house and asked him why he lied. Kepler tried to hit him with a golf club, but he hit the gun and a bullet the bullet the gun went off, and the bullet went into his knee and he fell. Then this guy, Kepler Jeff stupid, and he Jeff says, that's a bad name, and that's what the bullies call me. So he shot and shot and shot, but none of the bullets hit him. And then Kepler called him an idiot and that since there were no bullets left, he just started hitting him with the gun.
Speaker 3: Over and over again.
Speaker 1: Then he said the gun got all red and slippery, so he moved the golf to the golf club and Kepler stopped calling him names then, so he basically just confesses to the whole crime, and he says, Dad says, if a bully hurts me, I got to fight back and kill the bastard. Maybe not the best thing to tell. Cragan is in the window talking, you know, is through the looking glass. Craigan is on the other side with Cabot of the window, and he's like, are you at all concerned that he's slow? And that's his word, not mine, and the defenses She goes, that's the defenses problem, not mine. Arrest him, and it's like that's pretty cold for Alex. So as Alex walks out into the bullpen, she sees Lionel Granger is back, and this time with Jeff's mom, and Cabot's like, this man represents your son's abuser. That's a huge conflict of interest, and Granger's like, not when the abuser is dead and I have a waiver from the estate gross the sky. I mean, Granger I always was like high powered, but I didn't realize he was like so filthy, and she's like, did she hire you? Because you know all Kepler's filthy little secrets. And it's like, who better to rep your son than the person who that's what Granger says. He goes, who better to rep her son than the person who knows everything about the man that he killed? And so Jeff comes out and the mom hugs him and says, I'm not mad. What did you tell them? And he goes the truth just like you always say. It's like, I will not be telling my kids to tell the cops anything like in the words of Luca Celencio Bruno. Baby these kids will and not speak when they're at the cops. It's like, just call me, do not talk. So she says the cops should have her, have called her, but baby boy is nineteen and the law doesn't require that. So he gets arrested for second degree murder. Granger says he's suffering from rape trauma syndrome, and Cabbit goes, okay, then let our shrink take a crack at him. Now Huang is talking to Jeff. He asks Jeff, do you have any trouble sleeping? And Jeff goes, do I get in trouble when I'm sleeping. That's silly, So he doesn't. He's not processing like questions and sentences the way that like, you know, a night normal nineteen year old would be doing. He asks if Jeff has nightmares about Kepler and he says sometimes he does. He looks like a monster. He's really scary. Huang asks Jeff, can you read my business card? And he freaks out when he sees that Huang is a doctor, and he tries to leave the room. He's like, shoves Huang back. Huang hits his head on the table. Stabler rushes in to pin him against a wall, which is a classic stabler or they should like call that that.
Speaker 3: In wwe like.
Speaker 1: Then he stablers him against the ropes and Jeff keeps saying doctors are bad, over and over and over again. Huang is on the ground looking kind of just like stunned and out of it. But at the top of act four, Huang is like, I didn't black out. I'm good to go. I'm fine. Release me, like, let's the paramedics go. He thinks there's something really wrong with Jeff. He's like he is like a child. He can't process a singles a simple sentence. Cabits, he has a job, he can read, he takes care of himself. And this is, you know, kind of reminiscent to The Third Man, where this guy had a job, he couldn't read, but he did sort of somehow manage to take care of himself. The deniso hair character in that, like he would just eat at a diner every day, and he didn't have rich parents the way that this kid does, so he probably gets a little.
Speaker 3: Bit more help.
Speaker 1: And anyway, she insists that he's confident, but Huang argues, he can't handle his emotions or his temper. He's an eight year old in a man's body, and I bet his IQ is borderline, and she goes, Cabot says, can you definitively say that I cannot try him because.
Speaker 3: He's our word.
Speaker 1: Here we go again with the arm and then Huang goes, no, I cannot definitively say that. So cut to court, Jeff is on the stand. Granger is questioning him. He says that the detectives were not nice to him, that they lied, that they would punish him, and that the man touched him, and he goes, where did the man touch you? And he goes on the shoulder and that's why he told them that he killed doctor Kepler. Cabot's turn and she goes, do you know a boy named Chad Smith? And Jeff's like, that's clearly a bully that Jeff beat up. And Jeff's like, I don't want to talk about him, like he was a bully and whatever. And then Cabot's like, well, you broke his nose and two of his ribs, and then you said that he hit you first, which was a lie. And Jeff's like, why are you being so mean to me? Stop yelling at me. I'm not a liar. And then as the judge finally sustains like a quick recess or an objection, he just bites right into a number two pencil that he's holding, like it's a goddamn twizzler. Like Jeff just snacks away on a number two pencil.
Speaker 3: And no one reacts. Huang is the oh I wrote.
Speaker 1: Huang is the only one who clocks it somehow, like the holy One.
Speaker 2: That's like what, like everyone watches and they're just like business as usual.
Speaker 3: He's chomping on a pencil. It is so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, so in judge's chambers with Judge Barry Mordock. It's Granger and Alex, and Granger wants Alex disciplined for badgering Jeff and says his clients are furious, and she goes, Jeff is your client, not the parents, and Granger should be disqualified as counsel, and he argues he's giving Jeff a good defense, and Mordoc pipes in, like, your client has as much business being on that stand as.
Speaker 3: I do riding in a rodeo.
Speaker 1: Only a horse's ass would ignore his diminished mental capacity.
Speaker 3: And I love that.
Speaker 1: And Granger goes, Judge, you're out of line, and it's like to even say that to a judge, and he goes, you're a disgrace to the defense bar Granger, And if you don't get your shit together, I'll grant her motion and report your ass.
Speaker 3: Get out.
Speaker 1: So Granger leaves and he's like, you stay, Alex, and then she and Mordoc have this conversation about the morals of all of this, since the guy clearly has some kind of developmental delay, and Alex argues that this isn't his constitutional law class, this is the real world, and he's like, I know you've seen.
Speaker 3: A lot more of the real world than anyone, and.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're back, but you can't lose sight of why you became a lawyer. And the Cabot I remember, wouldn't railroad this poor young man, and Cabot looks shook. He has touched her and reached her in a place that was maybe she thought she left Inisconsin. At Houang's office, Caboit apologizes to Wang. Basically, She's like, you were right, I was out for blood. Huang's like, listen, I was just about to call you. I think I've got it. And the sad thing is this all could have been prevented. I know what's wrong with Jeff. We got to go talk to his mother. So they go to the Linwood home. She's about to shut the door in their faces, but Houang goes, please missus Linwood, and they just let She just lets them in, like he just goes, please missus Linwood, and then it's like, all right, come on in, would you like a canno pey?
Speaker 3: It's very funny.
Speaker 1: So then when asked if Jeff hit all his developmental milestones as a baby, she said yes, he was totally fine.
Speaker 3: Until he was five.
Speaker 1: Then he had a seizure, his brain swelled and we thought he was going to die. When he finally recovered, he was never the same. Kepler said, it was a miracle that he survived. And it's like, fuck, this pediatrician knew that jeff had an intellectual disability and still molested him. Like that's like, now we're getting that picture, you know. That's like fucking horrible. And Kepler told them it was epilepsy, and Huang says, well, Kepler missed Jeffrey's Pika beer beer beer beer. We've been talking about Pika for so many episodes. This is my episode.
Speaker 3: Episodes lives years.
Speaker 2: I've been talking about pika but calling it pica for over a decade. Yeah, so this has been the episode that has lived within my heart and spirit and mind waiting for someone to nibble on a metal like I've just been wanting to diagnose in the real world.
Speaker 3: I love this episode.
Speaker 2: This shows just like how lucky we were to have you know, bead Wong be the voice of Neil Behar, a medical professional, and give us knowledge that can last a lifetime. So Cara continue, Yes, I honestly thought in my mind too that pika was a acronym, but it's not.
Speaker 1: It is just pika pica, And it's just like pika is a rare neurological disease where people compulsively swallow non food items. So like Jeffrey chewing on the pencil in court, he just puts He's just put tons of shit in his mouth his whole life, and his mom like confirms that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: And if this was just a few years later, he could have been on a hit show on TLC.
Speaker 3: I eat weird things. Yeah, my strange addiction. You know, it's I wonder if people have pika.
Speaker 2: They might people the moment you just read the definition, they're eating couch cushions.
Speaker 3: They're fucking bika. Yeah, oh my gosh. So I'm not a doctor, correct me if I'm wrong. So they're like, they asked the mom did you keep anything?
Speaker 1: And of course somehow she kept all the toy cars that her son licked the paint off of when he was five, And apparently the dad brought him back a bunch of cars from a business trip and he just stripped them clear of all of their paint in two days because he said it tasted like sour candy. So Clive comes in and him and his wife start arguing. He's like, did you let them in? And blah blah blah, and then Slot Clive's like, so he's a little slow, and the wife is like, wake up, he's developmentally delayed. He's never going to be the perfect child you always wanted. And Huang explains he wasn't born this way and I can prove it. Cut to Huang with a PowerPoint baby. All of you sing Lady Gaga in your head? Or was that just me.
Speaker 3: Baby?
Speaker 1: Oh, the one that she allegedly copied from Madonna. Anyway, Cut Tohuang with the PowerPoint baby. He ordered an MRI, which was done in lightning record time because yesterday was trial and right now he has an MRI in front of him, so they obviously threw that kid.
Speaker 3: In an MRI machine very quickly. He already has the results.
Speaker 1: The kid at the pencil yesterday and there are red spots on his brain that scan that indicate missing gray matter. Chronic lead poisoning stopped his brain from developing. Most kids get lead poisoning from like decaying paint. Like my kids get tested at the doctor for lead because there are trace amounts of lead in water, and they just need to make sure, Like even at my kid's daycare, there's a sign up that's like we test our water for lead and stuff because lead poisoning is really dangerous for children because their brains are developing. I doubt it's great for adults, but it's not good for kids. And so most kids get it from decaying paint, but with kids with PIKA are at a higher risk because of like the objects that they're putting their mouth, and the lead build up probably caused his seizure. High levels of lead are also linked to violent behavior in adults. Alex tells us, so his emotional and decision making center of the brain is badly damaged, which explains why he reacts so violently when he gets bullied or you know, when someone calls him names. So Kepler never tested Jeff for lad. He was very busy being an evil pedophile. And so the dad is like, that bastard victimized my son twice. So I mean honestly, and Dawd's husband not good. In jail, they bring Jeff out to see his parents and he seems cheerful, but he's like, oh I get here but no, I forgot that she was married to the pedophile because I was like, no, that they're not Mary in her she was just the secretary, you know, and I remember and it was her real life husband and I interrupted for no reason.
Speaker 3: Which I don't want to act surely imply is it out a file?
Speaker 2: But also we forget, you know, the pedophilia is time consuming.
Speaker 3: It does make you a worse doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hiding what you're doing, like falsifying records, I'm sure doing shit like that. So in jail, they bring Jeff out to see his parents. He seems cheerful, but he tells them he does not like it there. The people are not nice. Clive is crying and he's like, why are you crying? Dad, And he's like, gives him a hug, and he says, I didn't help you enough, and I'm sorry, but it's like the dad didn't really do anything. It's like if your pediatrician didn't chuck for lead, you gave him the I guess he gave him the cars. He feels guilty. He was in denial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You can't get help for someone if you're in denial of what's going on with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so Jeff said I did a bad thing. And Granger goes, so, I guess we're not going back to trial and Cabot goes, oh, yes we are.
Speaker 3: Boom boom boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 1: So on the stand now is an old ass white man who is the president and CEO of Rowan Toys Incorporated. And the guy says he's excited because he's there as an expert witness about toys. And he's like, look at me, I'm the head of toys. And the guy says that the toys that Jeff has, they show him the old licked off toys and he says, they haven't been made with lead paint since the late seventies. And they're like, what about the ones that are made overseas and he goes, even those get checked and we, you know, we do. We have precautions, like they would never be made with lead point paint.
Speaker 3: Uh oh bitch.
Speaker 1: The crime lab tested them and found that the paint on them is fifty percent lead. Toy man looks shocked, then he looks pissed, and he realizes that he thought he was being brought in his expert and witness, but really they want to bust him for endangering children in a court of law on the record. She slaps down emails between Rowan and the Chinese manufacturer, which I don't know how she got those, which proved that he knowingly poisoned children for decades.
Speaker 3: This is fucked.
Speaker 1: He tries to storm out, but Benson and Sabler cuff his ass and arrest him for reckless endangerment. He goes, I'll have your ass for this to cab It, and she goes, I already have yours, and it's on the record.
Speaker 3: She's so good.
Speaker 1: At verdict time, Jeff says he's sorry and he didn't mean to hurt anyone. Mordoc finds him. They obviously asked for a bench trial. There's no jury. Mordoc files him, finds him not guilty by reason of mental defect, and per the plea agreement, he'll be hospitalized until he's no longer a threat to himself for others. He says goodbye to his parents. Cabot says the judge's going to review his progress in a month. I don't really think we need to get him out in a month. If he's like gets so mad that he murders people. We probably have to work on him for a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: But he never good.
Speaker 1: He does not even have to go back and live with his parents when he gets out. Rowan Toys has agreed to support Jeff financially for the rest of his life. So in the end, Alex did the right thing. She tells Olivia and Stabler that Rowan offered the deal to pay for Jeff for the rest of his life so that Cabbot wouldn't charge him, but then he signed it and Cabot was like psych and told him to shove it. And so he's being charged anyway, and he's probably going to jail or at least paying a billion dollar class action suit. And then they go, you really are back, aren't you, Olivia says, and she says that to Cabot, and then that is dick Wolf. My baby's a twisty one, a good one, A Pika episode, a very pikea episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, a very Pika episode. Listen to our ads and we'll see you soon with some real life cases. Okay, so we're gonna talk about a few things here. A couple cases, one very clear, the other not that clear, but we're going to talk about it. And then the third is just a little snippet about lead in toys and stuff like that, because it did happen close to a big case. But I hope you're not disappointed. I did less lead research than crime research. But all right, So the first case is the Melvin Levine case. This is about doctor Melvin Levine, d Levine whatever d for douche lord. So doctor Levine was found dead February twenty eleven from a self inflicted gunshot wound near the woods near his home in North Carolina. He was seventy one at the time of death. His death, of course, was a day after a class action sexual abuse in malpractice suit was filed against him in Boston, So very like the SVU episode, but he was also he did it, so it's like he victimized everyone multiple times. So like all of his victims finally were like, we're going to sue this motherfucker, and he took his own life the next day.
Speaker 3: That is very Epstein of him. JK. Epstein was murdered, Okay.
Speaker 2: Several plaintiffs said that Lavine's abuse had clouded their lives and they hoped for resolution in the lawsuit, but he never gave them that chance. The lawsuit charges that doctor Levine performed unnecessary genital exams on forty boys while at the Children's Hospital of Boston from nineteen sixty six to nineteen eighty five. Per the New York Times, The Boston Globe reported that several men said that they were young boys that doctor Levine groped, fondled, or performed oral sex on them. One recalled a trip that he and the doctor were in the same bed. I don't know why they were taking trips together, but they were on a trip together in the same bed, and he took off his clothes and put his arm around the boy and fondled him. Christopher Dean, fifty at the time of this comment in twenty eleven, said that for four years, starting when he was nine, he went twice a year to that office for a checkup. That was just an occasion for melestation. Just motherfucker hunted at schools, so he would go to the nurse's office, and then he would recruit for private clients.
Speaker 3: But I don't even remember, do you remember, I remember a hearing check and an eye on a scoliosis check. I don't remember that one.
Speaker 1: We had a scoliosis check, and that one you got to wear like a gown and kind of bend over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe the doctor went to do those scoliosis checks and then found you know, these guys know how to find their fucking prey.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Dean said he cried and was in shock after it happened, but he didn't tell anybody, and then you know, there's just more cases. So like one man, Donald Roy, said that he was abused by the doctor at age ten when he was having surgery. He also invited him over to his house and he told his mom like, I don't want to go, and I don't want to go because he molested me. But the mom didn't know what to do and so she sent him over anyway. So the mom knew the doctor molested him, but sent the kid to the doctor's house. Jesus, But I don't your mom was a petty pediatrician because I didn't grow up with the understanding that you're doing trips and visits with your doctor. Is this regional specific to a predator?
Speaker 1: Like what is my mom never had patience over Like, that's not a thing that I've she never.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not a thing. I don't think.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe if it's like, at the same time, this pediatrician is like a little league coach and has a kid or something like that. You know, that could be possible, But I don't think in the capacity of like, hey, head over to your pediatricians house for a visit.
Speaker 3: That's weird.
Speaker 2: It is I'm trying to understand what this is like is it's small town vibes, but this is like Boston area.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm confused. Dude.
Speaker 1: The Boston Globe stays working on pedophile cases like they are bi that is their beat.
Speaker 2: I know I refuse to subscribe to one more, but maybe I have to. Maybe I have to subscribe to Boston Globe and maybe cancel my New Yorker.
Speaker 1: Cancel New York Times, and I'll give you my login and then you can use my and I'll use your Boston I.
Speaker 3: Can't because the Times with my games I really need. Oh yeah, you're right, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 2: And we see this on the podcast always like this guy had glowing reputations. A glow owing reputation as covers they are good people in the community to cover their bad behavior. Do not trust a good man ever or a bad one or any of them, they will molest your children. So he was a leading advocate for children with learning disabilities. He had books and a PBS documentary and a nationwide schedule of lectures.
Speaker 3: He appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show.
Speaker 2: He had a nonprofit group called All Kinds of Minds, and that was with Charles Schwab, which I think I see commercials with the Schwab guy. It's like finance, right, Yeah, it's like a bank.
Speaker 3: Basically they do finance. Yeah, might ontworks for them.
Speaker 2: So he's clearly connected. And this group that he did, All Kinds of Minds, trained thousands of teachers. So in two thousand and four, the New York City Department of Education gave All Kinds of Minds a twelve point five million dollar contract to train twenty thousand teachers.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Five, he was named by Scholastic Press the most and the most ad my person in education. And his big thing that he always talked about was not dismissing a kid, but exploring what stopped a kid from learning. And his basic tenant was that no child should ever be humiliated. That's rich in his lectures, he commonly said avoiding humiliation at all costs.
Speaker 3: This guy knows no low. He's guys.
Speaker 1: But these guys like the more fame they get or like that kind of thing, it's like that's they're like, I'm never gonna get caught, Like I'm just too good. Like look, I'm on Oprah, I'm doing this, I'm the teacher, I'm the educator of the year. Like they just don't think they're ever gonna get caught.
Speaker 2: But not only that, like for your message to be, let's not humiliate children and then molest them.
Speaker 3: It's fucking horrible.
Speaker 2: Always with the metal Jimmy Sevial, the other doctor recovered, you know, with the surgery, the doctor, the kids that they're most vulnerable the most it ugh.
Speaker 3: Ugh. After all this.
Speaker 2: Went down in Massachusetts, he went to North Carolina, and guess what happened? Sexual abuse complaints arose in North Carolina. So finally, in March two thousand and nine, the North Carolina Medical Board was investigating charges, and he agreed to never practice medicine again, and he gave up his license. He was never convicted on any abuse charges and never faced criminal.
Speaker 3: Charges, and then in twenty eleven he just ended it.
Speaker 2: Wait on once, you know, the kids were going to get some sort of money or restitution in any way.
Speaker 3: Fuck Psycher, it's so it's so evil. It's evil man.
Speaker 2: So this case is the Gary Hurt case, and maybe you're gonna help connect it to this episode.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: But you know, an interesting case we all love. I don't know if we love learning about the horrors of the world, but we do. That's why you're listening. You're obsessed with us, you're obsessed with Dick Wolf universe, or you're a sicko.
Speaker 3: So this is for the sikahs.
Speaker 2: Gary was a high school scholar, a star athlete, an Eagle Scout, and a murderer.
Speaker 3: Don't I feel like I should be on dateline? That was a good star. That was fucking good dud.
Speaker 1: Gary a high school scholar, star athlete, an Eagle Scout and a murderer.
Speaker 3: I love that guy. What's his fucking name again? He said my name Keith Keith.
Speaker 1: When I was on dateline, he goes Carol Klink he said my name, Just like that.
Speaker 2: You got to get the clip up and get it on the gram. The fact that you keep trying it out being Keith Morrison, Keith Morrison.
Speaker 3: No, I okay.
Speaker 1: So I it used to be online and then they got rid of it. So I always could just send anybody the link, and now they got rid of it. So I have it on a VHS. I gotta get it, take it to Costco and get it like turned into a digital file or whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So anyways, this Gary guy not a good name. Jka my childhood friend Gary, thinking about you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So this Wisconsin high school senior was charged and arrested for the murder of thirty seven year old Glenn Kopitski. He sought him out and stalked the substitute teacher and killed him. So Kopitski was murdered July thirty first, two thousand and three. The sheriff's captain Steve verwel, no way that's right. But Captain Steve, he said, I would attribute it to arrogance. He just wanted to see if he could do it a fun challenge, and so he told tons of friends about this, but they didn't believe him. And then finally a girl he once dated went to the cops because she was scared he was going to take his own life out of remorse. So what happened to Kopitski was He was shot in the head, stabbed twice in the back, and once in the heart. He was found dead August second, two thousand and three, so about a month after the murder took place in his rural house outside of Waya, Wiga. The people in Wisconsin in particular get mad when we don't pronounce their towns right. I feel like they've come for us before. A lot of people, you know, they like their towns to be said right. But for some and I do feel like the Wisconsin people really come at us.
Speaker 3: But if one of the eighteen hundred people that live in this town listens to our podcast, I would love them to message us how to really say it. That's smaller than my high school. Yeah wow, I really don't get it.
Speaker 2: But Wayawiga and it's like, I don't know, you guys all stole it from indigenous people. Anyways, we should just like be speaking about like speaking like this whatever. It's a tiny ass town in Wisconsin, eighteen hundred population.
Speaker 3: Kara looked at my notes and.
Speaker 2: The community is about ninety miles north of Madison, Wisconsin, which we will be there soon.
Speaker 3: Come see us. This is a plug we are.
Speaker 2: Plugging we are being the problem now of true crime girls. So the murder took place in Madison, and you can come check us out live in Madison at the place of the murder. So it's home, of course to a cheese production company amongst other businesses. And a lot of the news just came hammering. This is like so classic Americana. Like the news just kept hammering about how great Gary was the killer, which is annoying because he's a killer. But you know, these celebrated men, they just.
Speaker 3: They love it.
Speaker 1: They love a high school star that commits a crime. They love a brock turner. He didn't rape anyone. He's a good swimmer, Like that's fucking what they love.
Speaker 2: But my big thing is like can you believe it? And it's like, yeah, it's these guys every time, Like I would be more shocked if it was a delinquent, honestly. So this guy, you know, they kept being like honor student vibes, track, wrestling, football, because you know what we know about football players a a plus guys. Yeah, he was also dating a fourteen year old, which I hate because he was eighteen, So I was just like, how dare you eighteen date a fourteen year old. Okay, but it's fine if it's a fact, because I guess that's like a freshman dating a senior, which does happen. Like maybe I'm being a prude, maybe I'm being a little much, but like freshmen do date seniors.
Speaker 3: But seeing the numbers.
Speaker 1: At freshmen are right out of eighth grade, Like seeing.
Speaker 3: The number is tough, but like it.
Speaker 2: But if someone was like, my son's dating a freshman, No, it's gross, it is gross, but yeah, NBC News use it as a positive. They were like, he has a steady fourteen year old girlfriend, and it's like, well, how steady and for how long she is fourteen?
Speaker 3: Like was she thirteen when they started dating? What is happening?
Speaker 1: I will say when I was a freshman, I feel like more people were dating juniors and it was more rare for her to be senior freshmen. That is kind of a really yucky age difference for me.
Speaker 2: It is, but it was only the hottest and the coolest of them, So it is just like, I mean, that's the twisted darkness too, where it's like it's celebrated as a slite, sexy thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to like.
Speaker 1: Go to prom as a freshman or whatever. Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I just don't get how that was one of their positive They're like football, wrestling, Honor Roll and he was dating a fourteen year old steadily, Like it's just like NBC what happened that day?
Speaker 3: They also were like he's six four two seventy. Is this the wwe? Like, I just hate everything. So the mayor said classic. The mayor was classic. The kid had everything going for him. But what's so funny to me is the mayor's name is Mayor Quimby, which is the mayor of the Simpsons. Oh my god, really okay funny.
Speaker 2: So Mayor Quimby is the mayor of this town, and Mayor Quimby is based on, like I would say, the Kennedy family, and like very just corrupt.
Speaker 3: He's a corrupt mayor. So wild to have a Mayor.
Speaker 2: Quimby, and he knew the Hurt family forever.
Speaker 3: It's a tiny town and so.
Speaker 2: He works with him and he's the one that gave this guy all his boy Scout merit badges, so the whole town couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: And then the NBC news article.
Speaker 2: I always love when they just talked to a random guy from the town. So his name's Paul Well, Paul Mayhew owns the Dairy Queen where Hurt also found the time to work on the weekends for two and a half years. And he said that he's going to keep hert's job open for him on trial for murder, but the dairy Queen job he's gonna hold open for him, Like, get me out of these tiny they say, we're in a bubble.
Speaker 3: Honey, You're in a dairy queen bubble.
Speaker 2: He's quoted in two thousand and four in this NBC news piece that they're gonna stand by him on what they know about him.
Speaker 1: Wait, that reminds me of Guffman when she goes I could always go back to the DQ.
Speaker 3: They said, they take me back. That's what Gary, That's what Gary was thinking. That was an amazing impression. Thank you, thank you so much. More great qualities about this guy.
Speaker 2: Also nothing about the dead man, Like no one in any of the articles.
Speaker 3: No one cares about this man.
Speaker 2: No one cares about this dead man who is gruesomely murdered. But the Dairy Queen guy was just like ah Gary. He was polite, quiet, got along with everyone. He never bragg and didn't think too much of himself. Oh, but he is a murderer.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It's like when people are like, I mean, Hitler wasn't all bad, and it's like, but why do we need to find the.
Speaker 3: Good parts of me? Like I don't murder genocidal maniac. That knocks out everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just knocks out that you were good to your dog or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's the snood game. Once it hits, they all come crumbling. Yeah, the other ideas don't matter.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I fucking love snude. Can I still play that? It's so good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find it online, but they I got it on my phone. But it's like at you know, it's like everything in life, it's a scam.
Speaker 1: My senior year in college, I used to sneak home from parties to just play nude. I was like, I'm not having fun and I would just go home and play nude.
Speaker 3: Was I depressed? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know, looking back at like, it's so interesting when you're coping and bad habits have been the same for decades and you've never been able to escape them. Like I think go back about college, like I would totally leave parties to go home and watch TV by myself.
Speaker 1: Oh way, I was like, I was like, I'm actually really getting it's nude.
Speaker 3: I think I might beat it soon. So I'm going to go home and like not socialize on my final year of college.
Speaker 2: Now back to a horrific murder. So for five months, investigators were stumped. They didn't even look at her as a suspect because obviously the whole town is obsessed with this sexy high school football athlete.
Speaker 3: Like the whole town like we couldn't even thought about it.
Speaker 2: But then finally a friend came over, came over, came forward, like I mentioned someone that dated him, so basically Olivia Toma.
Speaker 3: She came forward January first.
Speaker 2: I guess she had a real come to Jesus New Year's hangover and had had to run to the cops, and so on January first, she was worried that he was gonna harm himself. So again, this whole town, I guess hated the substitute teacher, like everyone just loved this high school jock so much that like he even told this chick Olivia, and Olivia is like hmm okay.
Speaker 3: And then was like, oh well, Gary's about to harm himself. I gotta get him help. It's like, but you knew that he murdered. But according to the police report.
Speaker 2: Toma and him exchanged their biggest secrets to each other in a county fair and she didn't take him seriously or maybe her secret.
Speaker 3: Was really bad too.
Speaker 2: So anyways, so on January twenty eighth, the police recorded a call between Toma and Hurt, and he described crime details that were not public, so they knew they had him, and finally they had it on tape, him saying that he did it just because he wanted to see if he could get away with it.
Speaker 1: This is the problem with dating fourteen year olds. They are going to roll on you. You know, they're not die.
Speaker 3: They're not ride or die. They'd just been at eighth grade.
Speaker 1: They're going to record you when you're talkings.
Speaker 3: They don't want to get grounded.
Speaker 2: Other friends also said that he killed animals and would brag about it often, so I but.
Speaker 3: They still loved him. Okay.
Speaker 2: He actually said in an interview that he doesn't have guilt for killing animals because he figures that he's doing them a favor.
Speaker 3: End quote.
Speaker 2: He also told another friend, Eric Wenzlau about it, and the two young men visited the house in July before the murder, and he said that they thought like he thought, they were just looking for deer at this guy's house, I guess. But then later he confessed to Eric that he drove his dad's car and found Kopitsky naked and killed him.
Speaker 3: So they took his.
Speaker 2: Ass in on January twenty ninth, and they did it at school. So like a true Sview episode, they arrested this guy.
Speaker 3: At school purp walk during third period. Okay, so that never happens in real life. So I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: So his parents obviously couldn't believe it when the authorities came to search the house and then police also found Kopitski's keys in his room and two shotguns in the basement. Now Here I said Kopitski's name because I have respect for the death.
Speaker 3: This article just said found the dead man's keys. Wow, like legit. It was.
Speaker 2: I was in a twilight zone reading about the crime. So with all the evidence against him, he of course pled not guilty, so he's he was not involved in the murder.
Speaker 3: He just had the dead man's keys, Okay, sir So.
Speaker 2: October two thousand and four, he did finally plead guilty to first degree intentional homicide, but then he claimed insanity and so they went to jury like a jury trial. On March seventeenth, two thousand and five, he was sentenced. The jury gave him mandatory life, but then the judge changed it and said he would be eligible for parole after thirty two years including time served, so he will be in prison till at least fifty years old. But now we have a wild twist, okay. Right before he was sentenced, the nineteen year old said he can't feel guilty for killing a man in disgust after a homosexual encounter, and he was quote, this is a quote in ABC News, and it wasn't the first time he said something like that.
Speaker 3: So he only gave one interview during.
Speaker 2: This time, and it was to ABC News to Cynthia McFadden, and in this interview he said, there's no reason I should be held accountable for this.
Speaker 3: That's just the way I feel. I can't change that.
Speaker 2: He's straight up gay panicked, like he was trying to gay panic. So he eventually confessed and said he was out of his mind at the time, and he was driven into a murderous rage after having a homosexual encounter with the older man. I'm glad he got a long sentence. I really hate this person, so he claimed in the interview with McFadden. But he did not testify in court, so it's just the interview. So he didn't testify where he needed to be telling the truth. So obviously I don't believe him, because if this was real, why wouldn't you testify. So he says that he was sitting on top of his car under a bridge getting drunk, listening to a song by Nirvana over and over. He said that he drank six bottles of malt liquor and fifteen shots of vodka.
Speaker 3: It's just confusing that this cool, beloved high schooler was under a bridge alone drinking forties. Like I don't but.
Speaker 1: It sounds like he's wrestling trying to self medicaid because he has some homosexual feelings.
Speaker 3: Exactly, you're right.
Speaker 2: So he said when he drank, he sometimes had homosexual urges, and that Kopitski pulled up his car and flirted with him and they agreed to go back to the older man's house. He said it was consensual. He said, he went he went in, they fucked, and then he fell asleep in his car, and when he woke up sober, he was in a rage having sex with another man. And he was just grossed out, beyond belief and disappointed at the proof of my imperfection to myself that I had done these things. He believed a homosexual act was not as bad as raping somebody or torturing somebody, but it was worse than murder. Wow, okay, so he said that it like that the gay stuff was worse to his psyche and personality than the murder. Also, the prosecutor doesn't like, he's not convinced, and he's not convinced. And no one knows if Kopitski's even gay. Kapitski is dead, and no one cares to talk about this man who lost his life in this brutal way.
Speaker 3: It's all just about Gary. It's all about Gary. So crazy, But.
Speaker 1: I mean, Gary would not have made up the homosexual thing if it's so just, if it's so shameful to him, right.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like it did happen.
Speaker 2: I just don't believe that Kapitski drove by as this guy was hammered and then they all drove back like separately.
Speaker 3: I just especially because he had chased his house with his friend, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and maybe it was the next day that they chased it.
Speaker 3: But it's like no, because that would make sense.
Speaker 2: You're right, ye, like yeah, and the guy's a substitute teacher, like did he know the student.
Speaker 3: It is a small town.
Speaker 2: But his parents believe him, and they said it was difficult for their son to admit to having homosexual sex. But also he is a murderer, but okay, and the father, Mike Mike Herr to ABC News said, I think Gary was willing to accept life in jail to keep that secret to himself. In some ways, I'd probably put in that situation. I think I would have probably been very tough to come forward.
Speaker 3: I know that dad. The dad is talking not very articulately, but he's saying like, wow, this would be so hard to come forward.
Speaker 1: It's like you came forward about a murderer, like you have murdered a person, But the gay thing is so much harder and worse and more of a secret.
Speaker 3: It's so fun. Can you believe that that is real? Like that is real life? There are people, but.
Speaker 2: Didn't that that recently happened with like a school shooter, the one not a school shooter, a gay club on the Pacific, Like I can't believe. I can't keep all our country's mass shootings together. But after a recent mass shooting, a dad said that he it's better that he's the killer than if he was at the gay club at the gay bar. There are people that could like legit people At the Christian college I went to, I remember having gay conversations and I remember a kid raising his hand and saying, well, God loves all sinners. But it's like he's not condoning murder, but he accepts you. And that's the same with gay Like I remember this fucking girl so like with curly hair.
Speaker 3: I want to know where she is. I wish college had a year book.
Speaker 2: But anyways, it is shocking that there are people that would rather their kids be murderers than gay.
Speaker 3: Anyways, I keep rambling.
Speaker 2: The prosecution was disgusted with this defense and they thought it was all live lies and they're like, shut the fuck up, like we hate you and you're going to jail, and he did. I would like to end talking about the victim of all of this, since for some reason none of the media thought to But Kipitski did live alone and he wanted to get into acting in comedy, said his mother, Shirley Kopitski, and that he was a loner and a little bit different, eccentric, and that sadly made him a target.
Speaker 1: And so it's literally it's a fucking hate crime. I mean, it's a true it's a full hate crime. I think the sky was gay, and he clocked it, and he knew that he had those feelings, so he stalked him, went over there, maybe they had some kind of thing together, and then he killed him. Yeah, I'm really confused why the judge took away the life sentence and gave him opportunity for parole in thirty two.
Speaker 3: Damn, I wonder, I mean, I wonder what the judge has.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now I'm going to quickly go over this is yeah, quick, this is obviously a giant, a giant international exporting importing catastrophe.
Speaker 3: That who am I an economics major? Okay?
Speaker 2: So this is based on the concerns of high lead levels and toys during the two thousand and seven Chinese export recalls.
Speaker 3: So Barbie Pink will never end. This is about Mattel Baby.
Speaker 2: So Mattel recalled nineteen million toys sent from China. Let's think about nineteen million toys.
Speaker 3: That's a lot. Fuck. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So August fourteenth, two thousand and seven, the world's largest you know, toy company, announced the biggest recall in its history. This all started in July when one of Mattel's European retail partners noticed lead paint on some of its toys, so that an extensive investigation began.
Speaker 3: At first, it was four hundred and thirty six thousand.
Speaker 2: Chinese made die cast toy cars from the movie Cars.
Speaker 3: It was Sarge. Sarge is the which one is Sarge? I think he's the Is he the like little tow truck or I don't know.
Speaker 1: I really don't know. I've not seen cars. My kids aren't into that yet. Oh really, I'm so shocked. They we've tried it and they just don't get into it. After like fifteen minutes they want to turn it off.
Speaker 2: I totally thought you were going to have a story Sarge is a military vehicle, which clearly makes sense, and we're idiots.
Speaker 3: We're idiots.
Speaker 2: So that was the first thing, and then there was eighteen point two million other toys that were recalled because they had small, powerful magnets that could harm kids if they were swallowed.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: So the magnet toys have been being produced since two thousand and two, and it included forty four different polypocket toys, eleven Doggy daycare toys, four Batman toys, one piece I don't know what that is one piece toy, and two Barbie toys and half of the toys in each recall were distributed in the United States. And these magnets are not chill okay. So another company Rosart and Mega Toys, and Rosart is always second fiddle to Crayola, because I remember because I had to have Rosart and the product was inferior. So William Finley was an almost four year old child when his grandmother gave him a Mega magnetics building set for Christmas in two thousand and four, and one of the powerful micromagnets fell out of the plastic casing and William swallowed them, and then he became super ill had to go undergo surgery to remove these magnets and mend his intestines. So these magnets are so strong that if you swallow one, they don't just like pass through the child's body. They get stuck in the digestive system and they rip through tissue and the magnetic forces like draw all together into a tight, powerful clump in these children's bodies.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Mega Brands was not helpful in the investigation into their defective magnets. And then when the company submitted to the data, there was data that showed in the beginning of two thousand and four, the company in rose Art received fifteen hundred consumer reports of magnets coming loose from their casings that did nothing. And then finally December two thousand and five, a toddler died, and then they jumped to work Senator Dick Durbin and Representative Bobby L.
Speaker 3: Rush, an Illinois Democrat. Crew.
Speaker 2: So this Rush guy's the chairman on Trade and Consumer Protection and hearings, and so he held hearings on the toys on June eighteenth and said the company did everything in their power to derail the Commission's effort to take the product off the shelf. They were trying to put warning stickers on and it's like no, no, no, like some people don't speak English. You can't have a warning sticker. If it's like death, like on a toy, take it off the shelves, you fucking lunatics.
Speaker 3: I hate it. Whatever, So they didn't cooperate it all and.
Speaker 2: Kids are dying and I hate it so and the kids swallowed so many magnets. There was a kid in Italy who swallowed sixty magnets.
Speaker 3: Jesus.
Speaker 2: Then, in a separate toy situation, toys are us. They had a bunch of lead baby bibs. Oh my god, so vinyl bibs with famous characters. They were selling for about five dollars each. The kids were licking them, and then anything with like ripped and cracked bibs were the worst for exposure. Sesame Street or the Explorer toys they were filled with lead as well, And in this article they're like shares dropped fifty seven cents, which doesn't seem like a lot, and then the Mattel stock rose back to the same levels after only a few hours. So lead levels that were killing kids only dropped fifty seven cents stocks for a few hours, and nobody cared there was lead in the toys. The lead paint recall was Mattel's second and less than a month of lead tainted toys, and we wish that the world really had an Alex Cabot there to protect the children and trick CEOs onto the stand. So Jim Walter, senior vice president of worldwide Quality Assurance at Mattel, said to The New York Times that they legit did not step up checks on the nearly three thousand companies that license its brands to put on products on their toys.
Speaker 3: That's so many products.
Speaker 2: They blamed the big recall on a subcontractor, hong Lea Da who was hired by Mattel con tractor in China, and it's called Early Light Industrial.
Speaker 3: Hasbro heard the news and they increased.
Speaker 2: The level of its safety checks following all the recalls. One brand's failure is another brand's warning, is what they said.
Speaker 3: And I kind of like that. That's kind of clever. So then we have S.
Speaker 2: Prakash Sethi and he's a professor at Baruch College and that is a city university of New York, and he acted as an independent monitor of working conditions in Mattel factories for the last ten years of when this article came out, in the case, and he says, if Mattel, with all of its emphasis on quality and testing, found such a widespread problem, what do you think is happening in the rest of the toy industry, in the apparel industry, and even in the low end electronics industry. And that's from the New York Times. Baby, so he's saying, if like this Juggernaut is not being safe, what makes you think all these other companies are. There's lead everywhere. It is dangerous. And then I thought, like, oh, this will be nice. I'll be able to end this true crime. You know, there were some murders we discussed, but like and like horrible molestation. But I can end on just lead toys in a recall. But of course, now, of course, no, there's no positive endings here. So it was found that the company I mentioned, Leader Industrial, a contract manufacturer based in southern China, with the lead paint like that was the lead paint, you know, point zero, ground zero. And so because of this, Mattel stopped accepting goods from the contractor, and then the Chinese government revoked Leader's export license, and then the owner, Jiang shu Hong, then took his own life by hanging himself in the factory warehouse. Wow, Mattel has recovered its costs and that's that. And the reps just like to my understanding leaders, out of business and we're fine, done and done. Patrick Macroy, the director of the Chicago Lead poisoning Prevention Program in two thousand and seven, said to The New York Times, all lead is bad lead.
Speaker 3: So that's no lead lives matter. Lead is bad all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Lisa for doing all of that.
Speaker 2: Right, But do you do you understand why the second crime was connected to this episode?
Speaker 3: Not really?
Speaker 1: It was a teen killing an older person, but I don't. I'm glad you told me about it, but I don't. I wonder why that was ever put online as a possible connect. Yeah, but yeah, I mean also like the brutality of the killing maybe, like because it was this guy was shot and stabbed and blah blah blah. I don't know, and then this guy was bludgeoned and shot, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 1: Thank you for doing research on three separate issues and crimes. And we have a great guest, so don't go anywhere, okay. As our usual reminder, this interview was recorded prior to the SAG strike. This is our last interview, I believe before. We are going to take a little break from having interviews until the SAG strike is resolved, and we hope that that happens soon because we have a lot of people waiting in the wings that are ready to do the pod, and we're excited to bring them to you. But for now, we're standing strong with our union and we're not having anybody on to promote television shows that they were a part of or projects.
Speaker 3: That they have going on.
Speaker 1: But our guest today, who we recorded before the strike was is another Broadway baby. We've were on a streak of Broadway darlings right now. He won a Tony for originating the role of Moritz Stiefel in Spring Awakening. He was also in the Broadway productions of American Idiot and Jerusalem, and he was in the movie ten Cloverfield Lane.
Speaker 3: But you know him today as doctor Murderer jeff Linwood.
Speaker 1: Guys, please enjoy our chat with the delightful John Gallagher Junior. Yeah, we heard that you're a buddies with another friend of the pod, Michael Chernis.
Speaker 6: Yes, I just saw him at a birthday party last week. I had just listened to your episode with him. It was when they sent me the invitation for this. I hadn't heard the podcast yet, but I was like, well, that's a great idea. I mean, my my dad and my sister are are fanatics as well. And every every Christmas if there's ever any kind of marathon on well and I always get stuck watching like eight episodes in a row. So I was thinking about them when I was listening to it. But I saw Chernis's name and I was like, oh, I want to listen to this one.
Speaker 7: And it was. It was a great episode.
Speaker 3: Oh for that he was incredible. So your father and sister know that you're in a legendary episode of US for you, one of the most memorable.
Speaker 6: I would say, you know, they might they might not really quite have it on that much of a pedestal. I think they probably both watched it once upon its original air.
Speaker 3: It liked with both of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, since it aired, I bring up Peka all the time about it from Bed Wong here and it is like, it's just such a staple because I didn't know of a thing and then I knew it because of svo.
Speaker 6: It is one of those episodes that I you know, it's it's entertaining, it's interesting, it's unique, and then very informative in the end. Really it kind of ticks all the boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like, I honestly feel like they should change the name of it because when you tell people you're like, oh, that episode led, they're like uh, and you're like the one where the kid has pika.
Speaker 3: And you're like, oh, we got it. I got it not even saying it right.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: I only realized that when I rewatched Doctor John because bead Wong said it again and I was like, we've been saying pica for a long time.
Speaker 3: I only realized. But okay, so how did this?
Speaker 1: We like, you're a Broadway baby, we know all, Like, we know a lot about you. But what do you want to start with Lisa.
Speaker 3: Biting the pencil? Of course we're going to the bush.
Speaker 7: What is it is the most memorable moment?
Speaker 3: It isn't.
Speaker 2: What's funny is bead Wong like it's like, oh, something up. But the rest no one else reacts to you doing on a pencil like it's a piece of celery.
Speaker 3: Like everyone's like, just this kid loves pencils. What can you do. We can't keep them in on number two is quick enough? Like what?
Speaker 6: It is one of those moments where I remember thinking like, well, no one's really reacting to this rather an intense gesture.
Speaker 7: Maybe they all know it's coming or something. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember filming that day and when I got to set, one of my biggest questions, of course, was what's this pencil going to be made out of?
Speaker 7: Is it going to be an actual pencil? And it was.
Speaker 6: It was a very impressive recreation of a pencil made entirely from Marzapan candy.
Speaker 7: So it was like really sweet, like sickly sweet.
Speaker 6: Oh but they had the like the lettering, and they had like twelve of them. They had made a bunch of them because they knew we were going to probably be doing a handful of takes.
Speaker 1: This is this, This is the info why we started this podcast. I can not believe that was a candy pencil. It looked so real and like the way that you were eating it. I was like, it looks like he's eating a real ass pencil.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's like way before is it cake like you again?
Speaker 7: You know? I was the curve there?
Speaker 6: Come on in two thousand and nine when we made that episode, and I remember it was it was doubt.
Speaker 7: They were weirdly.
Speaker 6: Delicate, yeah, because of the almond flower or something. And I had to have it in my in my pocket and then I take it out and I'm kind of playing with it, and I just remember being acutely aware of of not to man handle it because they were like, they will break apart if you press it too hard, and you kind of have to sell it was pretty I had to kind of sell as if it had like there was some you know, there was a lot of bend to the mars of pan. I had to kind of sell that it was like a stiff snappingil.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, wow, Holly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's an amazing I mean it heads up to that. I mean that crew. You got to give it up to them. There. There's something else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, magic happened weekly on the set there of su.
Speaker 2: Another prop or more wardrobe that I love is like your chicken outfit is so good too. Yeah, I would have tried to steal that.
Speaker 6: That's like, yeah, I said a portion of the episode in it, I don't change for a while.
Speaker 7: After they hauled me off for questioning.
Speaker 1: So you like did original recipe in O two, then you did Criminal Intent and O four, then you made the trinity. Yeah, you've completed the trinity by doing this episode.
Speaker 3: So I mean, at this point you're like a Broadway star.
Speaker 1: And like, did they just have you come in to do this part, or did like they know you from doing other Law and Orders or like what.
Speaker 6: Was in preparation to to speak with the two of you? I really was racking my brain. Okay, what do I remember about the process of getting this part?
Speaker 7: Did audition? I even went through my emails.
Speaker 6: I like, I like searched like Law and Order SVU led audition offer. I was like going back to see if I could find the origin of how I found. I couldn't find anything.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe the fact that you even did an email search already you're like above ninety nine percent of the people that come.
Speaker 7: But I wanted to be informed, you know. I wanted to have good answers to your questions.
Speaker 6: I didn't want to just sit here saying I don't remember over and over again.
Speaker 7: Which probably still could happen.
Speaker 6: It's fine, Yeah, I do remember that. It was like, you know, I think January February. I remember all these really weird little details about it. I remember that the Watchmen movie was coming out because I was reading the original Watchmen graphic novel like in between takes. I remember reading that on set and people being.
Speaker 7: Like, Oh, hey, you excited for the movie?
Speaker 6: Why, yes, I am, yeah, and yeah, I think I had. I had done the original in two thousand and two. I think I was about seventeen, and I did. I had a scene with with Jesse and Jerry, which was very exciting, and then I did Criminal Intent and had a bunch of scenes with Catherine and Vincent and that was very exciting and intimidating and scary. And then also John Savage of like the Deer Hunter, Fame and many other things played my evil stepfather in that episode. And I want to say that because I had done the two other Law and Orders, I think Lead was just an offer. You know, Turnis talked about this on his episode that you Know you just spend. I couldn't tell you how many times I've gone to Chelsea Piers and sat in that waiting room and auditioned for episodes of Law and Order. I moved to New York twenty years ago. And especially before streaming. And now we have this wealth of TV series being shot, well not right now because of the writers' strike, but you know, in leaner times, lots of streaming shows and cable shows being filmed.
Speaker 7: But for a while, it was really like.
Speaker 6: If you saw a hair and makeup trailer on the corner of a street in New York City, in ninety nine percent chance it was a Law and Order. Maybe it was NYPD Blue coming over from LA to pick up some exteriors or something, or maybe.
Speaker 7: It was Third Watch or what have you.
Speaker 6: Now there's lots of different shows, but you just spend so much time as a working actor and auditioning actor in New York sitting in that waiting room, and so I'd been in for them so many times, and I remember it was kind of a lull. I had done a play right before the holidays, and it was that kind of like winter lull where I wasn't working and I was just kind of kicking around the apartment, and then I got this. I'm pretty sure I just got the offer for lead. And then it was a because it was a heftier part than I'd had in my previous Law and Order outings. I think it was like maybe like a two ish week process of filming it. You know, of course I was nervous about like the emotional punch of the role and also you know, trying to be delicate about it and do justice to it. I mean, to be totally honest with you, I think maybe now in twenty twenty three, at thirty eight, I might have said, I don't know if I'm the guy for this, you guys. I mean, as much as I'd love love to do it, but you know, I was twenty five and looking for work, and I just remember thinking, well, if I can strike some kind of delicate balance and not make this seem like a parody or you know, an offensive performance, I'm not It's not really for me to say whether I succeeded in that or not, but I certainly was trying to find the nuance and to just kind of play the simplicity of this of this guy who you know, as a result of trauma abuse and then literal brain damage has been rendered with you know, limited mental capabilities. So it was it was a nervy process trying to bring that to life. But everybody was really sweet and kind on the set, so it really is a good group of people. I have fond memories of those two weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe we all can't be the judge, but I think you nailed the performance and all.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say. Maybe it's not for me, but you did great. I think the people.
Speaker 2: I think what was fucked was everyone around you and how they spoke about you.
Speaker 3: I feel like your performance was great.
Speaker 2: I think it was mostly like Captain Craig and being like, I don't know, he seems slow, like that is those are the things that.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: I was just on a podcast this morning and the host of the podcast was going, if Tom Hanks made Forrest Gump now, he would have been escorted out of Hollywood, Like there's just no way, like every line, there's no way that that movie could be made today, like at all, Like we wouldn't have had Gary Sinise as an amputee, like that never would have happened, like and I was like, it's interesting, like things just change. I think in the last few years as well, have changed so fast of like you know.
Speaker 7: Really quickly, yeaheah.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing with SVU.
Speaker 2: It's like always ahead of its time or completely not and dated. It's like it's such a beautiful mix, like how we learned well Pika, But then Cabot says some fux up ship. Anyways, you and bed Wong in interrogation, you get mad at him, you hate doctors.
Speaker 3: How is that scene?
Speaker 6: Well, it's just it's it's he's a very difficult person to show animosity towards. I mean, he's one of the sweetest people ever. He's so kind and uh. I also was like totally starstruck, you know. I mean as a as a as a as a child of the late eighties and early nineties, you know, saw Jurassic Park about a thousand times at the cineplex in Wilmington, Delaware, where I grew up.
Speaker 7: You know, he was a superstar to me. And then, of course, not to mention the father of the Bride film.
Speaker 6: Hello, I remember thinking, well, it's going to be really hard to attack this, uh, this very.
Speaker 7: Sweet man that I look up to.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And then but the kind of the real highlight of that scene was getting uh, you know, thrown against the wall by.
Speaker 7: Was it was it icy me?
Speaker 3: It's maloney.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was like I remember them just like rushing into the room and and uh and you know, being being hoisted against against the wall by him was like I really felt that was like that was.
Speaker 7: The day where I was like, oh, I'm on it. I'm on an episode of this speak.
Speaker 2: It's also a lot of people's sexual fantasies.
Speaker 7: Right, I know, I feel so lucky.
Speaker 2: You know what felt more iconic being in the interrogation room or in the courtroom.
Speaker 6: I guess maybe the courtroom because like the stakes feel when you're filming those scenes, like the stakes do feel very high. There's a lot of extras in the room. It's a big set. They've got crane shots to kind of show the depth of the room. The interrogation room is obviously incredibly iconic, but it's it's a much more of a smaller, kind of intimate way of filming. But the courtroom definitely felt like we were doing you know, like a little play. And then you have usually like that's almost all ways. It's the kind of climax of the episode. So it tends to be the big reveal. It tends to be kind of the most dramatic scene, and so you do have to learn like more dialogue and more beats, and there's kind of more choreography, and then somebody is always objecting and then this person stands up, and so there's more moving pieces to those scenes. And I remember that being one of the more stressful days. And then of course the pencil thing. I was like, if I can't make this pencil thing work, the whole episode falls apart. So I remember being a little stretched out on those days. And then you've got like one of the most prolific actors, John Collum to my right, playing the judge, who I've looked up to for years, so that was really exciting to be on set with him too.
Speaker 2: Would you rather go on a night on the town with theater actors or screen actors?
Speaker 7: Hmmm, probably theater actors. Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 5: Because on the with the theater schedule, you it tends to be a little bit more forgiving because you don't have to get up, you know, at like four o'clock, five o'clock in the morning to get to set and go to hair and makeup.
Speaker 7: You can sleep in a little bit.
Speaker 6: So theater people they can really rage when the night is right, they can really throw down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is we talk about this a lot anytime we have a Broadway baby on.
Speaker 3: But like, what is what do you do for your throat? Like can you drink?
Speaker 2: Like what is the pacing of your fun life versus the like you know, getting your vocal cords?
Speaker 7: I know, well, I will say that like a musical.
Speaker 6: If you're doing a musical, and I've done a couple of those, that's it's a lot harder to have, like any kind of life. It's just so hard to have a life or a social life because the recovery that is needed to be able to get back up on stage the next night is so intense. So you really like your your tank is it gets depleted so fast.
Speaker 7: On that schedule.
Speaker 6: When you're doing a play, it feels like so much fun because you still obviously have to bring like you can't get to rundown throughout the week, but it's a little bit more forgiving if you're not singing and dancing at the same time. It's just an extra kind of physical level to things. And yes, you don't really see anybody doing it during the week. That the weird thing about theater is that theater people for them their weekend starts Sunday night and basically just Sunday night because you have Mondays off, and then you're back. You're back at it Tuesday night, Tuesday through Sunday, and then the weekends are actually insane for doing theater because you do Friday night usually a Saturday matinee, Saturday night, Sunday matinee, Sunday night, so your weekend is just a marathon. And then on Sunday night, everybody kind of goes insane because they've made it through this marathon. And you know, if you're inclined to partying, Sunday night is kind of the night you can always kind of tell. Like if you go into a bar on a Sunday night in New York City and it's packed, it's like, oh, this is the theater. People are here, this is their Friday night. Everybody else has to get up in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the SNL schedule. You guys, just have your one day.
Speaker 2: One day outside of the obvious, what are like pet peeves you have with an audience or like things that we should not do.
Speaker 6: M this this is one where I can't, like, I know, the obvious ones are like you know, cell phones. Still, it's crazy, you know, even with all of the announcements, you'll still have somebody's phonem going off or somebody checking their phone, and then you can like you can see it in the dark, you know, you'll just see like this illuminated face looking down.
Speaker 7: It's like, oh, they're on their phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Uh, that that can be That can be really distracting, the one thing. And I can't really fault people for this because it's a very Pavlovian response, but like what like, for example, when I did Long Days Journey to Night, I was playing a character that had tuberculosis, and it's in the script that I mean, he's coughing constantly because he has this terrible respiratory illness. And there is always that thing in the theater where if somebody coughs on stage, it's immediately contagious, like it will set off a chain reaction.
Speaker 7: Somebody in the balcony will go, oh, do I have to cough?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think I do, and then somebody down in the orchestra hears that, and then they cough and it will ripple effect for the next thirty some seconds. I swear it happened almost every show of Long Days whenever my character would cough or sound rasty. It would kind of trigger this response of people clearing their throat or call in the audience.
Speaker 7: And I get it.
Speaker 6: I know sometimes you hear it and it triggers it within you. Probably I've been there, but that would get frustrating because then you're kind of fighting with the sound for that for the next like minute or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like stop coughing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the phone thing is killer. I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: Whenever I've been at shows where it happens, it's always just like an old person that doesn't know how to turn it off then and they're like I can't find it, Like it's always, you know, and it just.
Speaker 6: Kind of will ring and ring and ring, Yeah, until until it's done, until it's over. Yeah, it's it's I don't know, it's funny ease. I play music as well, like I play my own music and I do shows with my band. I do kind of solo acoustic shows as well. And it's what I've noticed, like I'm so much more forgiving, Like in a night like that, it feels very kind of Oh, it's like I'm talking to the audience. Everything can be off the cuff, like a phone goes off.
Speaker 7: What are you going to do.
Speaker 6: Somebody's on their phone. That's fine, that be on your phone. I'm just like, you're doing my thing.
Speaker 7: But it is this.
Speaker 6: Weird thing, like when you like, my standards are definitely weirdly different on stage doing a piece of theater, like then I will suddenly, you know, you can get thrown a lot more easily by distractions on that setting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the famous Patty Lapone.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, jump off. I mean, it's just the legend.
Speaker 6: Has anybody stopped a show with more power and assertion?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 1: I saw Whoopy Goldberg in a funny thing happened on the way to Forum when I was like fifteen.
Speaker 3: And she stopped the show to yell at people who were late.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, people were late.
Speaker 3: Going to their seats, and she was like, excuse me, and it was wild. They were like, but you know, she's a punctual queen. What do you want.
Speaker 7: I think I'd stopped the show once.
Speaker 6: I think there was a time once when I was doing American Idiot, which was the Green Day show on Broadways Green Day Musical, and my character kind of narrated the show and would like be talking kind of to the audience in between songs and so if something happened at that show, I remember, I felt like what I feel if I have to say something or it wouldn't make sense to ignore it. I think I told someone to put their phone away once and that one which is with shite, I regret, but.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I was trying to I was trying to have the punk rock spirit. I was like, get up people.
Speaker 3: So is that a cool part to land?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: It was amazing. It was completely life changing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it ended up being about three years of my life developing it, working really really close with Green Day. They were like very very game collaborators. They were there in rehearsals and they were so supportive and we all got really really close.
Speaker 7: I mean I met some of my best friends doing that show.
Speaker 6: My girlfriend of ten years I met doing that show.
Speaker 7: We're not together anymore, but we had a great ride.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you know, and yeah, it was one of those moments. It was I couldn't do it now. It was so physically arduous and intense, but it was a life altering experience and it will always mean so much to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is your music? Tell us about the music?
Speaker 1: Because I was like looking at your Instagram and I saw your like you're you support other bands, but like you also do solo stuff. So what's the what's your band called?
Speaker 6: It's just me, It's just John Gallagher Junior, a solo artists. I write all my own songs and put out my own records. The first two are available on Spotify and Apple Music and all that, but they're under I was in some I don't know what I was thinking, but I was trying to make it harder for people to find my music, I guess, and I put the records out under Johnny Gallagher. So if you're looking for my you know, my professional name, it usually doesn't show up, but but yeah, it's uh. It's kind of the folk rock, singer songwriter Americana style kind of music. And I've been playing a lot of shows this year, which kind of worked out, especially with this strike with not a lot of acting work to be found. I'm playing in Chicago next week and then what venue. I'm playing at the g Man Tavern Cool in Chicago, opening for my friend's band Bandits on the Run.
Speaker 7: That'll be really fun.
Speaker 6: And then I'm going Asbury Park, New Jersey to open for my other friend's band there, and then I'm playing a full band show in Asbury Park in August with my with my full rock band, So that'll be fun.
Speaker 3: Wow, a big Jersey Shore summer for you, I do.
Speaker 6: I love the Jersey Shore, so every year I'd be going, even if I wasn't playing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, fun to play some shows they've never been, you gotta go. So Fun's an amazing town. I mean, there's just so much history. And I'm a huge Springsteen fanatic.
Speaker 6: So the Laura that is very you know, the mythology of all that is very powerful to me.
Speaker 2: Damn, and you're bringing Delaware to them. There's two other people that are famous from Delaware in my head.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Aubrey Plaza, Joe Biden, and now you you're a third Delaware person. It's funny they did it like this was a couple of years ago, but that like, you know, Delaware Today or one of the local magazines did like the top fifty famous people from Delaware or something, and my dad.
Speaker 7: Called me and was like, well, you're in the twenties somewhere.
Speaker 6: Really, I really didn't. I didn't stack up very high on the on the list. I was like, man, what's a guy gotta do? And Delaware to get on the map. But it's a small It's a small place, it really is. I mean I've known Aubrey since I was fourteen.
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I mean we dated in high school.
Speaker 3: She stop, that's this isn't exclusive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've known her forever. She's a dear dear friends or our families are close.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. Wow, Delaware is really small.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we met doing community theater together.
Speaker 3: Woa.
Speaker 1: She She and I were NBC pages together like before she started acting like she was right before me. So we knew a bunch of like mutual people and I would see here my improv team used to open for her improv team.
Speaker 7: Oh that's too back in the day.
Speaker 6: So like Aubrey and Neil Casey and I we were all doing theater together in Delaware.
Speaker 3: Wait, Neil is from Delaware, he is. Yeah, he's my buddy.
Speaker 1: I mean I know Neil well, like he was my teacher. We've yeah, like we used to hang out. I went to dinner at his house pre pandemic. But you know, my gosh, I haven't seen him in a minute.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen him and he just texted me the other day about something. But I haven't.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen him in such a long time, but you know he I mean, he took me to my first He took me into New York City when I was fifteen and took me to my first They might be Giants concerts because he was a diehard. They might be Giants fan. But yeah, I know I know all those guys from from back in the day. But I remember when Aubrey had the page job, like I remember himah, and she took my she took my family on the tour.
Speaker 1: And then she got a job as a page on thirty Rock, like they cast her as a and that was one of her first acting gigs. And I was like, ooh, like good idea, but I just.
Speaker 3: Never got to make that happen.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything upcoming that you want to let us know about or plug specifically to our listeners if anyone's in Asbury Park or coming.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, on August twelfth, I'll be playing at the Stone Pone.
Speaker 7: That'll be that. I'm excited.
Speaker 6: I've never played there, played a couple of venues in Asbury, but that's a storied and historic venue, so that'll be exciting and looking forward. And then also I think that I think I can say this now. I think it's about to get announced. But in the fall, I'm going to Washington, d C. To do my third musical with Michael Mayer, who directed me in Spring Awakening an American Idiot.
Speaker 7: Wow, it's called Swept Away. It's about a shipwreck?
Speaker 3: Is it based on the book the movie?
Speaker 7: It's not?
Speaker 1: No, Okay, not related to the movie, because that's like an overboard situation.
Speaker 6: Okay, right, yes, totally no, this is it's It's written by John Logan, who wrote Gladiator and and read the Puliszer Prize winning play and many other things in a couple of movies for Martin Swizz.
Speaker 7: He's an amazing dramatist.
Speaker 6: And it's this original musical featuring songs by the Avitt Brothers, so it's all their music. But it's about a whaling vessel in the late eighteen hundreds that gets sunk by a storm and then four survivors end up stuck on a lifeboat. But I'll be starring in that at Arena Stage in Washington, DC in November.
Speaker 3: Wow. Huge.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's my first time back on stage on the East Coast in about six years.
Speaker 7: So I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 3: Oh so cool.
Speaker 6: And then I'm thinking, I just feel like before I go, if there's any like any any.
Speaker 7: Any little tidbits the two things I was thinking of.
Speaker 6: I was like, what are the things I want to say about my remember, like my experience. See, I think I've mostly touched on the main things. The one thing that I'll never forget about it was Chris and Marishka. Like watching them work on that set is like it is bananas, because I've never seen two people that like had a The only other person I could maybe say was like I did some episodes of Westworld with Evan rachel Wood and like her ability to kind of drop into this, you know, this like robot character that she was playing was so stunning. But watching Chris and Marishkia like they were cracking jokes and they were laughing. They were like hysterical in the corner together and then as soon as they roll sound and are about to tell action, they drop into that mode that we all watch every week. And like the ease with which they can slide in and out of those intense characters was like masterclass where I was right, you don't have to be method to like sync so so deep into like the mode of those characters.
Speaker 7: They just knew those characters so well.
Speaker 6: And I remember being totally totally blown away by that.
Speaker 3: I liked his vibe.
Speaker 1: Cool guy. Check out his music. He's allowed to promote his music and you're allowed to go see it. Go check out his music, and you're allowed to go to Broadway. Yeah, oh see the theater, guys. This is this is Broadway's time to shine now that there'll be nothing but Love Island, Tucson going on or whatever on TV for a long time. What did we think about this episode? So many twists and turns. I mean, it's it's a classic.
Speaker 2: I mean we talked about it up top, like it really is an episode that has stuck with me since I saw it, Like Bad Wong just lives in my brain with all those little science facts and.
Speaker 3: All those little hidden diseases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it is like, oh god, it reminds me of that. What episode is it where there's like this Italian guy who can't sleep. Is it beef, No, it's it's it's bombshell, bombshell. Yeah, this guy where it's like only people from an island in Sicily have this disease that they can.
Speaker 1: From an all Italian village of like three hundred people get it and they only live like a year after they're diagnosed. Like, yeah, they just must scour the internet for like obscure diseases and things.
Speaker 3: But that's like what House does too. Did you ever watch House?
Speaker 2: No, but they show up in my YouTube shorts, A lot of House shows up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at House clips House.
Speaker 1: The premisive House is that people are always lying to their doctor. Like people will just come in and be like, I don't know what's going on. I suddenly am smacking myself NonStop or whatever, and then it always turns out that they lied to him about something and that what's really going on is that they are cheating. Like I saw one where this girl had this disease and it turned out that the guy was coming up to he was shimming up a tree to see her at night, but they were lying about the relationship and he got a tick and the tick.
Speaker 3: Was like in her pubic hair.
Speaker 1: So she had some kind of like tick born illness that wasn't even lying that was making her so sick. And House had to like go under with tweezers and like take this tick out. But like that's at the very last minute of the show when she's coding and about to die because she didn't want to confess her affair. Like it's crazy. House is wild, but I did enjoy it that guy.
Speaker 3: So it's just people lying.
Speaker 1: I mean no, it's also like obscure medical things and it's all the point of the show is that House is like rogue and does whatever he wants and he's like a genius, you know. But like it's also like the bottom line a lot of the times is like just fucking tell your doctor the truth.
Speaker 3: I know you're embarrassed.
Speaker 1: It's like what I said about my mother in law working at the er, and it's like, oh, I slipped and fell and a light bulb went up your ass.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that. Like it's just tell the glass, Like why are you putting it up there? I don't know. I think I don't know. It's it's horrible.
Speaker 1: Like if a light bulb breaks, my butt clenches up because of that sliver, those slivers of glass, You're like.
Speaker 3: Get out of the way, nobody step on it. Oh my god. Yeah, I've been finding glass in my apartment for a while.
Speaker 2: I was yeah, I might need to borrow your my dice and slash your dicense my dirt devil.
Speaker 3: Is not doing a good job. Yes, for sure, you can dust. Of course you have a dirt du I have a dirt devil. Oh disgusting.
Speaker 2: But I also saw Spring Awakening on Broadway, and it's like, I just want to know if I saw the original castron on and I don't think.
Speaker 3: I'll ever be able to know. I keep on my playbills, I know.
Speaker 2: I actually just got rid of my most recent ones too, Like I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's hoarting. I don't know why I do it.
Speaker 1: It's like they're all in a trunk that I haven't opened in truly ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fine, it's oh yeah, you're seeing Titanic or only Broadway play.
Speaker 1: Actually, so the release of this, As of the release of this, I will have seen Titanic, So I will review it in a couple of weeks on the podcast when we're back.
Speaker 3: From our little break.
Speaker 1: We're in the time machine super big now because we're taking a little break for August so we can go on a little summer vacation, because don't we deserve it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're like New York therapists. We need to get August off. We're real people. I was about to say, we're totally Paris and we're shut down.
Speaker 1: What we learned from this episode is don't let your kids put things in their mouth. And if they're putting you in hair out, they might have pika.
Speaker 3: I know what I want for my birthday.
Speaker 2: What I want an edible pencil, and then I want to bite into it like he did on the stamps.
Speaker 1: Okay, it is today is August twenty two that this is coming out, but recording it earlier, so I have approximately three or four weeks to find you an edible pencil.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I'm gonna get.
Speaker 2: We have to go to rent and then you have to rent out a courthouse, and then I'm going to sit on the stand and bite into the pencil.
Speaker 1: And I have to instruct everybody that I've hired to be extras to not react at all. Well, I just googled edible pencils and I do not like what I'm finding. Okay, let's move on, guys. Let's get to our what would Sister Peg do this? That's our weekly segment where we direct you to more information about what we covered in today's episode, be it a documentary, an article, a charitable organization, et cetera. And this week we are like we would like to point you to an article on the World Health Organization's website about the health effects that lead.
Speaker 3: Poisoning can have on children.
Speaker 1: As we learned in this episode, at high levels of exposure, lad attack the brain and central nervous system. It can cause cooma, convulsions, even death. Children who survive severe lead poisoning may be left with intellectual disability and behavioral disorders. So this article showcases some of the main roots for exposure to lead poisoning and for more info you can check out the link. We always put it in our show notes and it will be on our Instagram stories the day that this episode releases and saved forever in our WWSPD highlight on our Instagram page.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for doing that. And next we will be what why do I sound like a robot?
Speaker 3: All right? Next? I'm fun. I'm a fun girl. I'm not a robot, all right.
Speaker 2: Next week we'll be doing the episode Totem Season twelve, Episode twenty Get into It, Baby Boom Boom, goes the dynamite. We're obsessed with all of you. See you next week. Hopefully we weren't too wild before we were.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they always are.
Speaker 2: Bye, guys, That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production. If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 3: At Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to our producer Kacy O'Brien.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cotner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dut dun