Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two this Monday.
Speaker 2: Come on in, stay awhile, best and worst of the weekend, more of your phone calls coming up. Stat of the Day brought to you by Pennini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Spent a lot of time recapping, Well, it was a busy weekend. College football. Vandy surprises Alabama. We'll talk to Bandy quarterback Diego Pavilla. He'll join us, coming up a little bit. Tennessee got surprised Michigan. I don't think Michigan was surprised. Missouri got surprised, USC losing in Minnesota. You got NFL wise the Vikings five and zero, big win for Texans, Ravens, Jags, Cardinals, Packers, Cowboys late last night and a fourth in goal they end up getting the touchdown. You got Tigers at the Guardians coming up, Royals, Yankees, Saints, and the Chiefs. I got the Chiefs favored by five and a half eight seven, seven to three. DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle. A DP show pole question for hour two is going to be watched set no Connor.
Speaker 3: Oh Man Uh, well, right now, there's a lot of suggestions on Todd's Donald Trump impression.
Speaker 4: That's for a pole question, but I think we're.
Speaker 2: Going to leave that one alone. Are the worst NFL loss? The suggestions to just not do the Donald Trump impersonation.
Speaker 5: He already did not do that.
Speaker 2: Donald already has he was doing it, but not doing.
Speaker 3: Still has yet to do one, as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: And he will not. He's gonna die on that hill. He keeps walking around and he thinks it's us. We don't get it, Todd. It's not good.
Speaker 6: It's not.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 6: They're eating the hot dogs and the.
Speaker 2: Burgers, but it doesn't it doesn't sound.
Speaker 6: What about the facial expressions in the hands?
Speaker 3: That face looks exactly like your face and it's radio.
Speaker 2: They can't see your hand. But if you're watching on peak, thank you for downloading the app and watching.
Speaker 3: That's why you have to vote for me. Yeah, because I'm the only one who can lead us back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great time. What other pole questions do we have.
Speaker 3: For the worst NFL loss this weekend? Your choices are the forty nine Ers, Bengals, Bills, Colts. Right now, it is a tie between the forty nine Ers and the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Okay, can you look at the Bengals schedule coming up, because I don't think it's that difficult that maybe they could end up with you know, they could have four wins here coming up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauling Bengals are at the Giants at the Browns host the Eagles host the Raiders. Okay, Giants used to be an easy one.
Speaker 2: Well, I was holding out. I don't want to say hope because I'm not rooting for anybody. I thought the Giants were going to be better this year. The defense is good and they made some plays. I mean, that place to win in Seattle, and I think Seattle is a good team, but that was one of those where you're watching and it's like the Giants are making some plays, the defense is really good, and they win without Molik Neighbors degree of difficulty going cross country, and like, okay, that's pretty impressive. And then they come back home and then they lose. I'm sure, yeah, Seaton, but.
Speaker 3: You're that lost by the Seahawks probably might be my worst of the weekend because not only did you lose to a team that you're absolutely supposed to beat, but the forty nine ers are struggling, and you're not taking advantage of that. These are games that you you have to win, the ones that you're supposed to win, especially when the forty nine ers are down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Rams are down as well. This is your chance, this is your window. So you think that that's worse than the Niners losing to the Cardinals at home.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's worse necessarily, but it is really bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Niners they're not healthy. I don't know when they're getting everybody back. But you know, these are the games that will cost you home field advantage. That's that's the bigger thing. Because you might say, oh, what are you worried about the Niners going to make the playoffs? Okay, are they going to be hosting the NFC title game or are they going to have second round home field advantage like that? That's what this is about for some of these teams. Teams are going to be going, you know, they're going to make the playoffs, but this is about something larger than that. All right, eight seven to seven to three, DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, twitter handle at DP show. We have operator Tyler sitting by taking your phone calls there. So did you recap our one pole question? Now we have our two pole questions, Seaton.
Speaker 5: Yeah, our two pole question.
Speaker 2: We're going to do the same.
Speaker 3: But worst college football loss of the weekend aside from Alabama, so populating that one. Let's see we throw in cal put in there. But Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Cow had atmosphere, they had, they had it all. They had everything except for the ability to stop cam Ward late in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yes, CAW football was back for a moment, and then they had some great signs too. Michigan. No, I don't. I don't think Michigan's that good. Okay, And now you bench the quarterback that you and bring back the quarterback you just bench because you were bringing that quarterback back.
Speaker 5: And yeah, Poland, I think Tennessee is getting a hall passed because of the Alabama loss. Tennessee could be five and oh with Georgia with a loss, Bama with a loss, and everyone's loving Josh hype and everything, and they just they just laid an egg weird one against.
Speaker 2: Arkansas and then Tennessee has Alabama in two weeks, I believe correct. Yeah, it's a slugfest, but you do have that opportunity that even with one loss that you can still be in the playoff picture there, and we're gonna we're gonna find that out, you know with some of these teams. By the way, watching my New York Jets with Aaron Rodgers not good. It's seventeen to nothing, and you want to talk about body language. Now, nobody's worse than Deshaun Watson, but Aaron Rodgers, dude, let's go, come on. They could easily have two more wins that ended up, you know, lossuits there. I mean, let's go. You know, we got to speed up the process here and play calling. If I'm the Jets, I gotta have the I gotta throw the ball early. I don't want to run the football, especially against Minnesota because Minnesota is waiting for third and long. That defense is waiting. They had three interceptions. I mean, what are you doing? And I said this at the beginning of the year. Robert sala is either the coach the year he gets fired. I mean, really, that's what it's all about. Cause and I don't think he's much of a coach, but maybe they can play their way out of Robert SLA getting fired.
Speaker 7: Yes, mar Aaron Rodgers should just be the OC, like you know what, I'm calling a place from now on, because obviously what Dana Hacketts doing is not working.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: You don't think he is the OC his best friends the offensive coordinator. I don't. I don't think there's any you know, friction between the two. Probably is like, hey, I'm going to run this all right? Sounds good to be. That's probably the discussion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pully, we still need we talked about inventions last week. We still need some type of reminder to our phones that there's a London game at nine thirty in the morning Eastern and even if you're on the West coast, it's really early. I missed half of the first quarter and I totally was aware of that game being on and what time, but I'm running around, you know, doing.
Speaker 2: So did the Jets. They missed a good portion of that. Here's Aaron Rodgers after the loss. You know, I was blowing my standard.
Speaker 8: I just found out I've never thrown two ficks in the first quarter before. So that's the first one of us cost obviously seven and the other you know, could cost three. So in a game we lose by six. You know, plays like that are exponentially highlighted. So three turnouts for me is definitely out of character, and I'm disappointed.
Speaker 2: They have to get DeVante Adams. It's not a question anymore, you know, if they get him or if they don't. No, no, they have to have them, have to because that offense is not scaring anybody. Defense. They've ruined some really good defensive performances here. Yeah, morph But.
Speaker 7: How much anger are Jets fan's going to be when they still put out a turnout like this with DeVante Adams.
Speaker 2: Well, if that's the case, you might be looking at the quarterback, certainly the offensive coordinator. Yeah, Poeling.
Speaker 5: It's a weird situation like the Devanta Adams Jets trade is dependent on the Jets' status. Let's say I would I would have thought it would have been done last week or early this week. But if they lose to the Bills this week, they're what they would be?
Speaker 2: Two and two and four?
Speaker 5: Yeah, two and four. What are the odds of making the playoffs at two and four? And you're gonna go all in on an expensive wide receiver at two and four or you maybe say, like not this year?
Speaker 4: Didn't work out.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I wonder if it's a sliding scale of interest based off your status as a playoff team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at some point it's like what do we why bother? But it feels like the AFC East is there. I mean New England can be competitive. I mean Miami, I don't know, Buffalo didn't look good. It's there, like this is there for the Jets to take. I just like their offensive game planning is terrible. And Drew Van Ginkel had a sixty three yard interception for a touchdown on Sunday and three sacks this season.
Speaker 6: How about that?
Speaker 2: I just love Andrew Van Ginkel has become my favorite player. I think just because it sounds like if if we're at a like a social on a campus, like a university, Like let's say we're at Yale, We're at USC and somebody goes, oh h Dan Andrew Van Ginkel, Oh from the Van Ginkle family. Yes, yes, Andrew, Professor Van Ginkle, good to meet you for the.
Speaker 5: Prestigious van Yes, yes, it does sound almost senatorial. You know, oh, Senator van.
Speaker 2: Grandmother was a socialite bank Oh, yes, Ben GK Andrew Van Ginkel Junior.
Speaker 5: Day they summer in Newport, the Van Ginkles.
Speaker 2: That's stay at the Breakers, and.
Speaker 3: Then they lost it all. Yes, sadly, it's real American lesson in stock market crash. You know, they had these massive houses all over.
Speaker 2: The twenty nine nineteen twenty nine crush them.
Speaker 5: The boys in the third generation took advantage of the grandfather.
Speaker 3: They filmed the shining at their summer home.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, that's that was the Van Ginkle estate. Yeah, Andrew Van Ginkel Junior, the third Never gonna get that out of my head. It's the first player in NFL history with at least three sacks and two interception returns for touchdowns in the first five games of a season. Stat of the Day, stat of the Day, That best stead of the day.
Speaker 4: Stat of the day.
Speaker 2: It comes that what stat.
Speaker 9: Of the day?
Speaker 2: The stat of the Day brought to you by Pennini America, the official trading cards to the Dan Patrick Show. Do we know the translation of Van Ginkel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it means you're from Ginkle van Ginkle. Oh he's from the land of game of the Ginkel, of the Ginkel.
Speaker 2: Where is Ginkle checking? Okay, sounds like that's in Sweden. Or Norway on Nordic.
Speaker 5: He is from Iowa, which has a huge Nordic influence.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, Andrew van Ginkel didn't he play for the Dolphins.
Speaker 5: Yes, I drafted by the Dolphins, had a pretty good career there.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh is a Diego Pavia.
Speaker 6: Still they were having trouble finding him. I've just been told on his.
Speaker 2: Way to the to the school, he's missing.
Speaker 6: They thought he was in the building. Then I got worried that he's on his way to the campus.
Speaker 2: So then forty forty Okay, that's okay. Tell him we'll get them next time they have. Yeah, next time they beat Alabama.
Speaker 3: Line, Yeah, says that's I just tell him we'll get them next time they have.
Speaker 2: When we reach out, you know, somebody pulls off some big surprise and then they're like, well he's not available. Oh that yeah, next time you knock off blah blah blah, we'll call you.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell Diego next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this will get him.
Speaker 5: My all time favorite was the Cubs win the twenty sixteen World Series and we asked for their manager. They said, well, maybe not this week, but maybe down the road a little bit. I'm like, this is the road. Yeah, they just won the World Series for the first time in a zillion years.
Speaker 2: I don't care about the road.
Speaker 3: Two weeks from now, There's no more chapters in this book after this.
Speaker 2: This is the end of the movie. Yes, yeah, this is the man. Yeah, the end. That's it. It's over. Nobody cares about the Cubs after this, right, you won? All right? So diego Pavia, the Vandy quarterback. Maybe he's downtown. Maybe he's been walking around with a gold pull. I mean, who knows. I can't blame him for celebrating. When we come back, Lewis Riddick of the mother Ship will ask him who had the worst loss this weekend in the NFL. More of your phone calls as well. Back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: The Vandy quarterback Diego Pavilla, will join us fresh off the up. Upset Yavia, Pavia.
Speaker 6: I for some reason did say, Pavia.
Speaker 2: I know, I know I keep saying that, you keep reminding.
Speaker 6: Me annoying, but I know you want to get around.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're annoying, whether you're trying to or not.
Speaker 3: You got to say the name right, got to say the name right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I go.
Speaker 6: Everyone knows it's everybody knows. Everyone knows this. It's Pavia.
Speaker 2: I know it was the right name.
Speaker 6: Call him Pavia. I call him Pavia.
Speaker 2: I'm right and they're wrong once again. This is that great Donald Trump impersonation.
Speaker 6: Everyone knows.
Speaker 2: It's no. I had to let everybody know that that you're impersonate. Yes. Lewis Riddick of the Mothership, former NFL safety and a former front office person, he joins us on the program. All right. Worst loss of the weekend in the NFL was turned in by who.
Speaker 9: Oh man, I'll probably say if I say, either Buffalo or Pittsburgh Buffalo because of and Sean admitted it after the game was over, about how he handled the end of game situation there, coming out from his own end zone backed up before instead of just playing for going in the overtime, understanding that Houston had such a big kicker, the kicker with such a big leg, should he have just kind of like forced them to use their time outs, eat up the clock, you know, throwing the ball three straight times. That that's huge. That's huge for them for Pittsburgh. I mean, it's it's tough having them in a situation where you come that close down there on the goal line to knocking the ball out of landing Roberts making one of the coolest plays you'll see, and then I'm not able to recover the football. Then Jalen Tolbert coming back from getting hit in the area that no one wants to get hit and then make one of the greatest, you know, one of a big time catch, let's just put it that way, A big, big, big time catch. I mean, that's huge. That's just a gut punch for them. I'm hoping that the team doesn't overreact and like all of a sudden, it start like you can already sense that, you know, I knowing the broadcast that people were thinking, well, look, this is the end of the justin field there. It's going to be Russell Wilson's show now. And people start kind of like focusing their attention in the wrong places because Pittsburgh needs wide receiver help. They just do. And you saw that a little bit last night. But I think those two losses in particular, they really stick out to me, you know, yesterday, There's others. The Jets game is a huge one too. Everyone will want to talk about the Jets all the time because of you know, just the people's affinity for one to talk about them. But I think the Buffalo and Pittsburgh, Yeah, they stand out the most.
Speaker 2: All right, Josh Allen goes nine for thirty. Yeah, he got his bell run m and went right back in the game.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 2: Nothing changes in the NFL.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's yeah, it obviously, Dan, and I know what you're alluding to. It just makes you believe that you know that sometimes or makes you wonder if sometimes the protocol is not followed to a t uniformly regardless of the game situation, the individual involved. All that. And you don't ever want to accuse anybody of not doing that because we understand that player health is something that has been at the forefront of our discussion for years now. It's just a concerning concussion health. But yeah, when you see him whack his head on the ground like that, and you're sitting there and playing an amateur doctor, you know, from your couch, and you're watching it, and you're looking at his body language and you're sitting there going, man, he doesn't look quite right. He leaves, he goes in, he comes right back, right back out. He's right back on the football field in one play. He misses one play. Yeah, it makes you start going to come on now, But I mean, what else are you gonna do If you don't trust the medical professionals, if you don't trust the system that's put in the place to take care of the players, I mean, who else can you trust?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 9: Yeah, where do you go from there? All right?
Speaker 2: Some other games, you know why, the Ravens and the Bengals, and that felt like whoever had the ball last was going to win that game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for sure. The quarterbacks that's about as good as Joe Burrow really can play. And I know anyone now who wants to hang the loss on Joe around Joe Burrow's neck and say, look, he's still not playing good enough. That that's what franchise quarterbacks are supposed to do. They're supposed to elevate their football. Look, Joe Burrow can't do crap about Lamar Jackson fumbling the ball, picking it up, stiff arming Sam Hubbard and jumping it up in the air before he goes out of bounds and throwing it across his body and throwing the time. There's nothing you can do about that. And Derek Henry's just a freak. We knew this long before he got to Baltimore. But for him to just kind of like have the kind of runs that he has at the times that he has them, like he did yesterday, Look Baltimore. Baltimore as they're finding their way defensively with Zach Gore running the show. Now offensively, they're looking like a football team that when they're locked in and they have everything dialed in, they're going to be tough to deal with. Man, they really are. And for Cincy, I don't know. I mean, I just don't know how they fix the defense. I don't know what the issue is. And I love lou Anirumo. I love him more than anybody in the NFL. I believe he's deserved to be a head coach for a while now. Man, the defense is just not able to just consistently make the plays and the stops that they need to make, and that's why they're sitting where they are.
Speaker 2: What can you remember a running back trying to tackle running back similar to Derrick Henry when you were playing.
Speaker 9: No, there's only one guy who I remember being like that, that tall, that long. There was a guy who played for he played for Denver. I believe he played for the Chargers before that named Rod Bernstein, who wound up who was an h back, tight end type that they wound up putting that running back when he was in Denver. And I remember it was ninety three or ninety four when I was in Cleveland and Denver came to Cleveland, and I remember sitting there looking at this guy, going, are you kidding me? This is a tight end playing tailback. And that's really what Derek is and those guys, But I don't care who you are. Those guys will make you make business decisions if you're not wired right.
Speaker 2: So how can you pretend to tackle somebody like it is a business decision? But you don't want to be like man, that guy's soft.
Speaker 9: You know what you do? Dion used to call it when we were in Atlanta. Man, he used to call it low five and a guy instead of high five. He said, that's when you go down by his ankles and you made it. You make it look like an honest effort to trip him up. But really, what you're saying is, look, I'm not putting my face in there.
Speaker 2: If somebody hadn't seen the Vikings play, how would you describe them?
Speaker 9: And some one hadn't seen the Vikings playing? You know what I would say. I would on offense, I would say, look, this is a team that's probably being being coached offensively as good as any team in the NFL right now, given how Sam Darnold has been able to keep them on a track right now that I don't think anybody thought that he'd be able to keep him on. But Kevin O'Connell is right now, he's leading the pack as far as coach of the year for me, So I think there you'd be like, you're gonna see supreme play calling and coaching and game managing on the offensive side and defensively. It is sixty minutes of absolute fury that you will see eleven guys up on the line of scrimmage and you don't know which eleven are coming, and they are and he and Brian Flores right now is absolutely just causing some of the best quarterbacks in the NFL fits nightmares because he's telling you I'm gonna hit you and I'm gonna try and hit you before you can figure out where that free runner is gonna come from and you can get the ball out.
Speaker 2: Okay, but why have other coach has done this? But why is what Brian Flores is doing different than anybody else?
Speaker 9: Well, I think it's because, look, it always comes with risk. There could always be consequences. I don't know if every coach from a play calling perspective understands how to get those free runners on quarterbacks, meaning how to attack protections, understands protections as well as maybe he does. And he was taught by the very best in New England, and so not everybody is as confident and as comfortable doing the things that he does because it does come with risk, and some coaches are like, nah, I'm not willing to do that. I'm not willing to put myself in harm's way like that. But he has. He has made a career out of it. He made a career out of it all the way to being a head coach, and I think, you know, all things being equal, he may get another shot at it if his football team on his side of the ball can keep playing like they're playing.
Speaker 2: Lewis Reddick and the Mother's ESPN NFL college football analyst. He was on the call with SMU and Louisville. You got the Monday night game with the Chiefs and the Saints. Kent City hasn't been good offensively, No Rice, Travis Kelce has hit or miss, you lose Pacheco. They are a defensive team first, They've been that the last two years. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's it's funny. Look, you have the the ultimate equalizer and Patrick obviously who can when he needs to do exactly what he needs to in terms of getting a role player to make a big play. No Gray last week in LA with the Chargers with the big completion over the middle, samajp Ryan. You know it's Kareem Hunt coming back into the Foles Xavier Worthy just splitting double teams and Patrick puts it on it. But there's no question that Steves Bagnolo is probably the most valuable assistant in the NFL right now given what the expectations are in Kansas City every week. And Chris Jones is probably the most impactful needs to be the most impactful player on the defensive side of the football for a team that has the kind of expectations that Kansas City does, and he delivers the over and over again when they need him. Chris Jones is the guy who's either pressuring the passer, sacking the passer, getting some kind of big TfL tackle for low. He does it over and over. If it wasn't for Aaron Donald him playing in the same era, Chris, maybe you know, as far as inter your player is considered one of the best we've ever seen. If it wasn't for the fact that he was playing at the same time that Aaron Donald, who is the best that we probably have ever seen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put you in the front office with the Cleveland Browns. What are you doing with your quarterback?
Speaker 9: You mean, like, what am I doing if I didn't have to answer to the owner? I'm sure, yeah, I'm putting him on the bench because I'm sure the coach is probably in my office going when can I put him on the bench because he doesn't give us the best chance to win? When can I make a change here because he's not giving us the best chance to win? When can I make a change here because I can't run the offense I want to run because he's not the guy to run the offense I want to run. So I'm sure I would be having that conversation going, Okay, look, we understand, we understand what you're saying. And if I had the autonomy to make that decision, I would understand that I would support the coach. But they are in a situation where this is then this is the single like and this isn't hyperbole either, this is the single worst contract and situation maybe like I mean, I'd have to really sit here and think about it, you know, a little bit more, but I can't think of a single worst contract situation in the history of sports. Think about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, at least two of plays well when he's in there. I never would assigned him to an extension given the medical risk. But Watson just doesn't play well. It's like he's he's vacant when he's out there. That's it. He's checked out.
Speaker 9: This is every like. But to a mean, I get it. I get the risk. You know that they were taken down there in Miami given his medical history, but it's it's everything that came with DeShawn that they knew of before they even signed him, and now on top of it, like the crap play that he's putting out there right now is just like the icing on the whole crap cake. It's this awful. The whole thing is awful. And I'm telling you like, it's one of those situations where you sit and I feel so bad for Cleveland be because, honestly, in my career, I mean, that's the place I identify with the most because it's it's where I was the longest and where really I learned football, Like I believe I know it right now. And to see them now, they're they're a very talented football team that now is becoming again one of those you know, one of those franchises where you just sitting there going, yeah, that's the Browns.
Speaker 2: But are they going to be sellers?
Speaker 9: Like, I don't know what what can you do.
Speaker 2: Miles Garrett?
Speaker 9: Would you you mean sellers as far as like selling off some pieces?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, nobody's gonna take to Sean, right, I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't think so. I don't think that's what you would want to do. I really do think you could probably like you saw what Joe Flacco did with this football team a year ago. You literally right now, I believe to give themselves a chance to pull out of this downward spiral out there and need to replace one guy. You probably need to sit in one guy down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But if they chose not to bring Joe back because they didn't want a quarterback controversy, and they bring in Jamis for the same amount of money that Joe is making in Indianapolis, that to me is embarrassing.
Speaker 9: You're right, it is. What I'm saying is you don't need to be sellers. All you need to do is really move one guy out of the way, Move him over here, send him right next to Kevin Stefanski on the sideline, and you may see this whole football team turn around in terms of the way in which they play. But so no, they don't need to break everything up. They just need to make one change. But to make that one change will be commit admitting to the most colossal like mistake in the history of the NFL when it comes to contracts. And I don't know his ownership willing to do that at this point. If they don't, then this it's just gonna get worse.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, Thanks for joining us as always, Lewis. You bet that's Lewis Riddick of the mother Ship. We'll take a break. We'll talk to the Vanderbilt quarterback Diego Pavia, who will join us coming up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Sixteen to twenty two, fifty two two touchdowns, twenty carries, fifty six yards, and an upset over Alabama. Diego Pavia joining us on the program. Congratulations, when did you think you were going to win this game? Uh?
Speaker 10: We we had a feeling from the from the start, like we just say, it's any it's any given Saturday.
Speaker 4: CJ.
Speaker 10: Taylor actually said in his interview, like a lot of people are gonna be surprised at the outcome. I think you said it on Wednesday, last Wednesday, and that's just the reality of it. It's any given Wednesday, any given Saturday. And you know, we just came out and it was Who's better that Saturday?
Speaker 2: And we were take me back to the pregame speech any any you know, fire and Brimstone yelling, screaming, banging things before the game.
Speaker 10: Big loss of Stephen Hubbard four on the old line. He likes to get after it, and you know he says you ain't on you know s word, and you know, he just likes to talk his stuff. And then you know, me before the game, I'm highed. I got my family behind me supporting me too. So it's just all all good vibes. And then go in and just you know, play your best football.
Speaker 2: How's morale on campus?
Speaker 4: I haven't hit campus yet.
Speaker 2: Were you downtown on Saturday night?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I was. We were at a shout out barstool, but yeah, we were over there. We just hung out. I had a good time. We had we know we had.
Speaker 10: We had a great time with the whole team, and just you know, I'm super excited going into this week against Kentucky.
Speaker 2: What did uh? Was there some chirping going back and forth by Alabama with you guys during the game.
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So at the beginning of the game, you know, we I got there as a captain and go out there coin toss.
Speaker 4: They were talking crazy.
Speaker 10: Like what what like they thought they were gonna come in here and treat us like we are an FCS team and we're like, what, like what do you You must not know? You know what I mean like, we're gonna see. That's why I kept telling him.
Speaker 4: Like, all right, we're gonna see, We're gonna see, We're gonna see.
Speaker 10: And you know they're they're they're laughing, talking like I can't say it on the show because I can't curse, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're they're talking crazy.
Speaker 10: So we when when they say, you know, we're taking the ball, they're kicking off. We didn't even shake their hands after we just took off to the sideline.
Speaker 2: How aware were you of Vanderbilt's history in football when you transferred, You know, I was aware of it because there's not a great history there.
Speaker 4: Diego right, No, no, for sure. But same thing with New Mexico State.
Speaker 10: When I went there, they were the worst program in FBS period And so like coach Kill flips flips poke program. And when coach Kill came here, he literally called me. I was committed to Nevada at Reno with coach Choke, and you know, he reminds me of coach Kill. So I was committed there, and then at the time coach Kills retired, and then Coach Kill gave me a call that night and said, hey, I'm going to Vanderbilt you're coming with me, And I was like, you're right, I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I'll see I'll see you in Nashville.
Speaker 2: But you get there and you know, they've had a couple of good quarterbacks there, but like you're in the SEC now that that's that's a that's as deep as you can go into the water there. You never felt like, you know, are we able to compete on that level with Alabama and Georgia some of these other schools.
Speaker 10: A lot of people when I first, you know, told him that, you know, there's possibility of me going to Vanderbilt, they said like, hey, like don't go, don't go, don't go, Like, you're not gonna be able to win there. You know, you're not going to be able to to get drafted there. You're not gonna be able to do it anything. And so I like challenge, like, if you know me, that's like you tell me I can't do something, I'm gonna do it that day.
Speaker 4: And so, you know, that's that's what I lived for.
Speaker 10: I feel like coach killed this for the same thing people told him, you know, when he started having his conditions, like you can't be a head coach no more, you can't do this.
Speaker 4: You can't do that.
Speaker 10: He went back to New Mexico State to show that he could do whatever, you know, whatever he puts his mind to.
Speaker 4: And so same thing here.
Speaker 10: You know, he's he's a big reason why I'm here and you know, super thankful to be here.
Speaker 2: Take me into the huddle, uh deep into the fourth quarter. What was it like?
Speaker 10: Uh so when we got when we got the ball back, but it was like, hey, we we gotta go. When they scored and we were up by five, I said, hey, two first downs, we win this game. You changed You change your life forever, Like that's just reality. You change his program's life forever. And so we were you know, we were hyped. I said, no dumb penalties, we can't get it, we can't get behind the sticks. Just just play smart, play fast. Let's go do this thing. And then first play hits for a first down. And so it was like, shoot, we might need three first you know, uh yeah, you know coach coach Beck called uh a dang near perfect game. And so you know, shout at him. He puts me in good spots at the right time. We got clutch receivers, Eli Stowers, our tight end. He'll be a first round draft pick in my opinion. You know, he's he's different. These past four games he's gone for like a pastor game has gone for one hundred yards. Our left tackle Gunner Hanson, and when people put him on film, he's he's a first round He's got he's twitched up.
Speaker 4: I've never seen like maybe once.
Speaker 2: Look at you shouting out everybody, diego Pavia the Vanderbilt quarterback getting off the field. How crazy was that after the uh you know it went final?
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, it was crazy. You know, they stormed the field. I had a lot of family in town. I had like sixty sixty seven people in town, so they were all there, you know, just having a blast, and then you know, they rushed the field.
Speaker 4: They found me. You know, we were able to they kind of clear it out for me to wait.
Speaker 2: But you brought sixty seven there and you're playing against Alabama, like it could have been a really long afternoon, given who Alabama is. Like you were that confident and you're like, hey, you guys want to come to a game, come to Alabama.
Speaker 4: It's belief. You got to believe it. And so that's that's the type of person I am.
Speaker 2: How big is the chip on your shoulder.
Speaker 4: It's huge.
Speaker 10: A lot of people say I can't, I can't play in the NFL, and so you know, SEC is the closest thing to the NFL.
Speaker 4: So shoot, I'm here to prove it.
Speaker 2: So I don't even know. Were you recruited out of high school by any major college?
Speaker 4: I had to.
Speaker 10: I had Division two offers, but I went junior college. You know, it's a lot of a lot of people go to junior college. But I had the grades. But I said to go to junior college and then went to New Mexico State and then falled.
Speaker 4: Coach killed coach back over here?
Speaker 2: What's uh watching game film going to be.
Speaker 4: Like we we watched it already.
Speaker 2: Oh you did?
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, no, it was it was. It was good.
Speaker 10: I almost screwed us though at the end of the half, I took a delayed game. I felt like a rooky. That was bad.
Speaker 2: Though you were a fifth year senior, You're not supposed to make these mistakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean. I you know, I'm kind of short.
Speaker 10: So when I see when I see the game clock, you know, the field goal, the goalpost is hanging in my face, and I thought there was another number right there, but I took a delayed game.
Speaker 4: Coach Kill was pissed.
Speaker 2: Now he says he's kind of short. It says, you're six feet that's give me, give me a give me with your hair. I'm gonna give you six feet. I don't know. Give me official height and wait here diego official height.
Speaker 4: Pro day.
Speaker 10: I'll be measured at five ten one eighth m and my way, I'll probably be like two o four between two o four two seven.
Speaker 2: Ye right, it could be like Russell Wilson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeahh' super Bowl champion?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is there going to be a statue? Uh after a win like that? I don't Vanderbilt doesn't usually do these things. They don't celebrate sports the way normal schools do. I'm thinking maybe a statue on campus.
Speaker 4: You thinkn't put a statue in me on campus?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think. I think we got to do something bigger.
Speaker 2: Something bigger. What's bigger than a statue?
Speaker 4: Shoot? We got we got bigger dreams than this, and this is.
Speaker 2: Just oh okay. I just thought, you know what you said, this win will change lives. You could have that statue right outside the stadium every time they go there, they get to rub your head because most people be taller than you. You know, you're only five to ten.
Speaker 4: So I thought they make statues bigger than what you really are.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, so you got Kentucky. Don't sleep on Kentucky. Don't don't sleep on Kentucky.
Speaker 10: The truth, Yes, the truth, and a lot of people don't. Really they are freaking good, very good on defense top.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I'm proud of you that you didn't swear the entire interview.
Speaker 4: They told me not to swear before the interview, so I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mean you were swearing after the game on Saturday.
Speaker 4: No, I know, I know that that was That was my bad.
Speaker 2: Well you know what, Hey, you get one of those. Hopefully you get more. But congratulations. Do you have to go to class? Are you going to school down there?
Speaker 4: They make you go to school over here?
Speaker 2: This is in New Mexico State.
Speaker 4: I got a funny story.
Speaker 10: I got here and I was like, can you just put me on the all online classes? The look to be crazy, like there's no online. This is Vanderbilt now, yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, you're you're in the IVY League of the South there. You got to go to class.
Speaker 10: Harvard of the South. Yeah, but I like the community here. It's the people are awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, congrats. That was a lot of fun and uh once again, don't screw it up against Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, knock on woolf for me.
Speaker 10: Please, all right, Uh, thank you, Diego, No, I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: Uh, Diego. Pabia the Vanderbilt quarterback, he was at New Mexico State, transferred there, Jerry kill was there, had health issues and then became sort of an advisor Vanderbilt, and he's like, hey, come on down, that's not the place you want to go play quarterback. But they were the better team.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That's not one of those where you go, what that lucky play, that lucky call. They were the better team. Yeah, Paulie, that's.
Speaker 5: What's the best about this job. If you would have said a month ago, we're we had the Vandy quarterback as one of our lead guests on Monday. That kid I was watching, we were probably watching on a Thursday night game on some RSN at New Mexico State two or three years ago. And he'll be the lead guest.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, coming up Final Hour. The new Reds manager Terry Francona. I thought he was retiring after leaving the Guardian, so we'll talk to him. Tiger's at the Guardians today, Royals, Yankees and Saints and the Chiefs coming up tonight. The Chiefs are giving five and a half to the Saints