Speaker 1: Will Will.
Speaker 2: Looking all clean cut, it's all gone. When did you do this yesterday? How's it feel? It feels pretty great? It looks great, man, it.
Speaker 1: Looks so good.
Speaker 2: You like it?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 3: Uh? Oh?
Speaker 2: Writer?
Speaker 1: Does writer like it better? Long?
Speaker 2: What? No?
Speaker 3: I like you?
Speaker 1: Okay, I do like.
Speaker 2: It better long.
Speaker 4: In general, I think Will has excellent hair, and I like to see more of it. But I think this looks great. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This couldn't deal with it anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm you know what I'm noticing.
Speaker 5: Your bone structure is really just is I can see your bone structure. Whereas for thank you, maybe because your long flowing locks were so distracting, I didn't notice, but now that you have that off like your jaw, everything's all like sharp.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I appreciate that. I like a sharp jaw. Yeah, sigma face. Yeah dude, you go you always have it was it felt so The greatest part was actually he's it.
Speaker 6: Because he's more seconds now Yeah.
Speaker 1: Lovely great, great.
Speaker 2: In two seconds.
Speaker 1: I love that your head is more square.
Speaker 2: Square, got a lego head now? Very happy?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: I I ran into the one and only mister Wilfredell and his gorgeous wife Susan At of course the tapangam all, because all them all.
Speaker 1: Where else do we go on a weekend?
Speaker 5: But Will was shopping for some new clothes and he looked York.
Speaker 1: He looked pretty dapper.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty happy. I got two whole new outfits. Where I met a guy shout out Marco Nordstrom's, who's like, uh, I'm I'm gonna address you from from top to bottom.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 6: So literally, you know, toes to tip, that's God, from my feet to my head.
Speaker 2: Let's put it that way. And to the point where I first went to another store.
Speaker 6: I won't say the name, but I went to another store and I bought an outfit myself.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wow, I like that jacket, and so a guy there helped me.
Speaker 6: And so I then went to Nordstrom and I got the second outfit, and Marco said, do me a favor. When you come back to get fitted for this one you just bought, bring the outfit you bought yourself and try it on for me.
Speaker 2: I just want to see how it looks. And I went sure.
Speaker 6: So I brought the outfit and he looked at me for two seconds, went nope, no, nope, what And even Sue went uh, and even I looked at it and went, oh, I don't like this at all anymore. And he's like, yeah, we're gonna we're gonna return all that and we're going to start over. And he got me the whole second outfit that day too, and I returned the whole first one.
Speaker 2: It took him two seconds. He looked at me, I walked out.
Speaker 1: He went, when you.
Speaker 5: Bought the first outfit from the first store, did you try it on?
Speaker 6: Or did you?
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, no, I did, because it's a pretty.
Speaker 5: Will thing to just look at a shirt, hold it up, go yeah, this is good, and then be like that'll this will go with this jacket right.
Speaker 1: And then leave.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: I actually I I tried it all on and I was like, man, this looks like something from Star Wars. And then when I put it on again, I was like, oh man, this this this looks like something from Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Stormtrooper like huh, you know.
Speaker 2: It was more.
Speaker 6: It was more Luke Skywalker on yeah on, tattooing a little a little tan on tan, staring up at the two moons, wondering if I'm ever going.
Speaker 3: To live.
Speaker 6: Like jacket too, and the jacket was this like something he would have worn, And then I didn't realize there was.
Speaker 2: Like a sheen to it, so it was odd because I'm sure it was five. But the new one, I'm very excited Daniel saw it. I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Good writer. What are you wearing to New York?
Speaker 4: I don't know, man. I tried to go shopping and just had a panic attack. It was awful because.
Speaker 2: Alex was going to talk to Marco. I'll go with you.
Speaker 4: And then I walked into some giant apartment store. I walked around, you know, she was shopping in her floor, so I was alone.
Speaker 2: It was awful, and I did buy a couple of things. They returned most of them.
Speaker 4: And then and then I just decided to go online and buy everything and return everything. So I bought like so many clothes online from like all my favorite chops online and now I'm just in the process of returning ninety.
Speaker 2: Five percent of them, which is kind of a pain.
Speaker 4: The order. I'm like, this is the payoff, right. I get the privacy of my own home and trying things on, But then when you have to return it, it's like some use the post office, some use ups drop off. Some use FedEx, then another one uses DHL. Who's still using d anyway, I had four different stops to returns if I I still haven't returned everything. But yeah, I think I've got some outfits. I don't know, Man, I go to market actual this this year this time, like I'm just like, I don't know, like I always, I feel like I always try and do like a blazer to be more like fancy or formal.
Speaker 2: There you go, and it just doesn't.
Speaker 4: It never works for me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I like you in a blazer.
Speaker 6: You got this the school teacher going on people hot professor, people love that for teacher.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do it this time.
Speaker 1: Guys. Sorry, it's all right, we're not We're not upset with you.
Speaker 2: What are you?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 6: What's none of us are asking you, Danielle, because it doesn't matter what we're wearing anyway. I go to.
Speaker 2: Blurry garbage bags, like, hey, what's going on?
Speaker 6: This is a yeah, this is a hefty really excited.
Speaker 2: It's not going to matter. What the hell I should we should you know?
Speaker 3: I should just be in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, we should know we should really do just to really pissed you off is find out what she's wearing and wear exactly the same thing.
Speaker 1: If you think that would piss me, Oh, she.
Speaker 4: Would love it if we just had like many versions of whenever she was wearing.
Speaker 5: Like, oh my gosh, literally nothing could make me happier than the idea of the three.
Speaker 1: Of us dressed the same That would be great.
Speaker 4: Have to be tiny, so they're like two tights or like bursting out of them, right, yeah, so it's like we're wearing her size stuff.
Speaker 2: Actually they noticed people would see us.
Speaker 1: It would be cute.
Speaker 5: But you know what else would be even better is if we could if we really wanted to do it, because like, the three of us together wearing the same clothes as kind of my dream.
Speaker 1: I could wear men's wear.
Speaker 5: I could like I could you know, like if you guys wanted to, we could buy matching cool suits.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm okay, awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it would be like your Chicago number and Dancing with the stars, right, because you guys are all.
Speaker 1: Correct, yes with a tie cool? Right?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, oh that PIXI excited.
Speaker 5: I am possibly wearing a very short skirt to the premiere so that you guys would look great. It would be a great opportunity to show off your legs.
Speaker 2: I got killer legs.
Speaker 1: That's wanted to see your hobbit feet both.
Speaker 2: It's basically for the waist out. This is perfect.
Speaker 4: Like if you could just crap me for how I am presumed in real life, everyone would be happy.
Speaker 6: You and your friends save the shire Rider. You deserve all the accolades.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Upon Meets World. I'm Danielle Vishel.
Speaker 2: I'm right strong, and I'm Wilford Dell.
Speaker 5: Over our seven seasons of recaps, we have uncovered a lot about Boy Meets World that, when all is said and done, we hope we made rewatching the show a little more enjoyable. We organically figured out who the original Tapanga was, we were reminded of the hidden lobsters, we discovered photos of random food in the apartment kitchen, and though we'll probably never know who the creepy janitor was, we've come a long way. But nothing from the past three years of this podcast could have prepared us for the deep dive adventure that this week's guest put us on after we rewatched his guest star appearance, And honestly, this completely shocked by a guest we knew nothing about before this podcast. In the memorable season seven episode What a Drag, he appeared as Crazy Luthor, the leather jacket wearing college criminal who was so intimidating to Jack and Eric that they decide to dress as women to hide from his wrath. But somehow that's maybe the least interesting thing he's done in his career.
Speaker 1: Truth is, I bet.
Speaker 5: Friends of the filmmaker, artist, actor, producer, fatis hographer, activist don't even know he was on the show.
Speaker 1: After acting as a kid on shows like.
Speaker 5: Boy Meets World, The Nanny and Party of Five, the NYU grad would expand his creative resume with a social impact art career that led The New York Times to say he has the Midas touch. His metalwork installations are considered an artistic breakthrough, connecting photography, sculpture, and contemporary art through a copyrighted signature method transferring images onto custom transparencies that are then melted onto multi interlocking metal sheets. Will you're really into that too?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: I am?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean yes, I love melting things onto multi interlocking metal sheets. I mean I thought I was the only one, but I'd love to know there's another one out.
Speaker 5: There doing it.
Speaker 1: I know I didn't. Most people don't know that you're an expert in it.
Speaker 2: I literally can't even picture what that is.
Speaker 1: I can't either.
Speaker 2: I know, I can't wait to talk to him. I don't know the hell that is.
Speaker 5: But even though his works are sold by auction houses, acquired by museums, and the talk of international art fairs, he also found time to write and direct the twenty fourteen movie Lullaby starring Amy Adams, Richard Jenkins, Terrence Howard, and Jennifer Hudson, plus the twenty twenty critically acclaimed film Minamata, all about the photojournalist Eugene Smith's expose of corporate negligence and government cover ups in a Japanese coastal town, starring Johnny Depp. He's also produced numerous movies focusing on actors turned directors, like Julie Delfi for My Zoe or Christoph Waltz in his debut behind the camera Georgetown Wow.
Speaker 1: He also co wrote a comic super Cool Is it Like?
Speaker 2: Are you're looking at super Cool?
Speaker 6: It's these big, huge metal whoa like enormous metal things with all these cool pit you like like, look at this one, I mean just.
Speaker 2: Super cool.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, wow, okay geez alrighty.
Speaker 5: Then he also co wrote a comic book with Andy Serkis tout as part time professor at his All Guest lectured at Yale, tadd a masterclass in Athens, married, an award winning British classical singer, launched his own Gin brand, and is an outspoken advocate on environmental protection and wildlife conservation as a global patron for the Wilderness Foundation and an ambassador of Tusk Trust, a British nonprofit organization focusing on protecting African elephants, rhinos, lions and all endangered species across the continent. And yeah, he was on an episode of Boy Meets World, But who cares crazy?
Speaker 6: Seriously, I got a haircut and it was like my whole day. I can't imagine that.
Speaker 2: My God.
Speaker 5: Today we welcome someone who we have to assume thinks this podcast is stupid.
Speaker 1: It's multi hyphenate and recipient.
Speaker 5: Of our longest intro, Andrew Levitas.
Speaker 1: Hey how are you? Andrew?
Speaker 3: I'm well, how are you?
Speaker 1: We are?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for even responding to our email. We just ran down your resume and we've never felt lazier.
Speaker 3: Well, it's great to see you guys have been about a million years.
Speaker 1: Yes, just about that.
Speaker 3: The way you guys have this awesome podcast, I wasn't aware, and now I've listened a bit. It's totally great and it's so cool you guys all get to be together. It's amazing.
Speaker 5: I know that part is really nice. We'll just got a haircut yesterday.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Well, thank yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: It did take up his whole day.
Speaker 2: It was my whole day.
Speaker 6: We were reading your stuff and looking at your artwork and all the things you've done. And by the time we got to Wildlife Conservation, I was like, I had a sandwich, Like yeah.
Speaker 2: It was so yeah, you've already made us feel bad about ourselves. Andrew, thank you for coming on the show.
Speaker 5: For coming on the show, Andrew, I do have to ask, because it is worth asking considering the amount of actual artistic work you have done.
Speaker 1: Do you remember being on Boy Meets World?
Speaker 3: I do, though it was a fun jog down memory lane searching for it and watching the episode again. Yeah, I remember at the time, you know, for me, I was a tourist as an actor, right like I never set out in my life to be an actor. For me, I always knew i'd be a filmmaker. I was already having museum exhibitions at the time that I came on with you guys, and it was just an opportunity to learn and be around other artists and see what you guys were doing and become a better filmmaker someday. So for me, it was wild to see it because I was so open to just being like an idiot. Yeah, like just going for it and not being stressed about it and having a fun time. But it's quite wild what was in that episode?
Speaker 4: Actually, you mean you didn't take away great artistic truths.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry and shocking at the place that's open all night long?
Speaker 2: It was like, wait, what, how is this not affecting your whole career?
Speaker 3: It was a truly baffling episode, you know it was. It was super cool to be with you guys. I mean, you guys had done at that time was amazing. Right to have a series that had gone that long with the same folks were all seemed lovely and beautiful. And you know what I remember about that week because I'd done so much stuff over the years, like prior to that, just how warm and familyish and how excited everyone was. Just like just how happy everybody was, or at least it felt that way to be coming in like that's not normally at least it's not part for the course. It should be normal, right.
Speaker 5: That makes me so happy to hear, because we have talked a lot about the fact that by the time we got to season seven, we were all in various stages of disconnect. Disconnect good, that's a great way of saying it. And so it's good to know that when someone who wasn't there with us week after week came in and got to spend an entire week with us, the feeling you still walked away from was that everyone was warm and happy to be there.
Speaker 3: So good to hear it.
Speaker 6: So, Andrew, you said that you you were almost taking it. Were you were you auditioning because you just wanted to become a better filmmaker. Was there any part of you that wanted to be an actor to stay in the acting industry or was this just like, Okay, this is going to be a fun part to learn the rest of the industry, but if I get a job great.
Speaker 2: Or were you calling your manager every day like the rest of us, going what's next? Do I have an audition? What's going on?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not even sure if I had. I must have had an agent or manager at that point. I don't know. I don't remember. But my like, the acting side of my life was like a like an accidental thing that happened, and it just kept I mean, like all of your listeners who are actors are going to hate.
Speaker 2: Me, but I just couldn't stop getting parts.
Speaker 3: One of those things where I was like, listen, anything that anybody wants me to do, I'm psyched to get the opportunity and have a different experience and meet other actors and meet other filmmakers and you know, and spend time with different elements of you know, production, and talk to different crew and just have that have that time and enjoy it and not feel pressure of this is my life and my passion I was. I felt fortunate and blessed to do it. Whatever money I made as an actor, I spent on canvases and cameras and materials, and it really got me through a pretty sizeable chunk of those early days and it was amazing. I mean, you know, I I got really lucky. I stumbled onto being on a soap opera in the early days. I went and visited a friend on a soap they were casting a boyfriend for her, and we were young, you know, and like eighteens. I was growing up in New York. And I remember the producers being like, so, are you an actor? And I was like, yeah, sure, you know, and I had acted on you know, I'd acted on school plays and that kind of stuff, but I wasn't like, I was like, yeah, whatever, and I'm like, you know, hear the sides, like do you want to take it home? I was like, oh, let's go now, it's fine, no no stress. And I read it and I got that. And I did, have, however, many episodes of that soap opera and it was funny and fun and easy. And then I like went on one audition in New York just because it came out of maybe it was the same casting people or something, and I ended up flying to La at a screen test, which I didn't even know what that was at the time, on a series for the WB which had just started, and they couldn't find their you know, tough Italian guy, which like I wasn't tough or Italian by the way, but you know, like it was a little type casting that really went on over the years, and the next thing I knew, I was like, had my own series, flew to La stayed at that like you know, I don't know if they're one of your sponsors or not, but the crappy apartment thing that everyone stays at the Woods. But it was super fun and interesting, and you know, I was paying attention, like I was learning. I was out there to learn and see what was going on. And then it just kept sort of happening for a while, and I never said no, Like if you wanted me to do your thing, I did your thing. And there were wild ones too, like I remember getting offered a I never had an audition, getting offered a like weird campy off Broadway, like strange, you know off Broadway show that had run for a long time that had this cult following. They were going to make a feature of called Psycho Beach Party, and at the time, I'm like, yeah, sure, whatever, I'll play like a repressed sexually repressed surfer and you know, the gidget era, and no problem, right, yeah, But like that film suddenly was that Sundance suddenly was having this god and they were amazing, Like Lauren Ambrose was in that movie, Amy Adams was in that film. Like I made all these friends and all these relationships that served me served me later and I learned from it. So it was awesome.
Speaker 2: You're that guy. And then as I was leaving, I tripped over a lottery ticket and I won. It was the craziest thing.
Speaker 3: It's going to end horribly for me.
Speaker 2: Knock wood, knock good, go outside, turn around and spit. You don't want to say that.
Speaker 5: So do you have any memory of your Boy Meets World audition? You did have perfect hair for Michael Jacobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't, okay. I assumed that I went in and read at some point. I don't know how it came about. I don't know what it was, but I have no memory of it.
Speaker 5: Had you ever seen a Boy Meets World episode before you were cast on the show?
Speaker 3: Probably, okay, I think that. Probably In fairness, I think I was quite excited to come see you guys. I knew Ben a little bit because his brother, and so I knew his brother from around and then I was just psyched to see you guys. I mean you guys, were cool. You know, you guys were cool doing something night like awesome for a long time. So I was psyched to be there. When I was there, do.
Speaker 6: You remember by I'm sorry, I just Daniel, I'm just curious, do you remember when we were shooting because one of the main memories I had from this episode was originally you didn't have a gang behind you. It was just you and us in the note session, Matt and I look at you and going like, Andrew, no offense, but there's two of us, Like if we add up at that point, I'm like two hundred and five pounds. I was like, Michael, we could take this guy.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm sorry, but there's two of us here. We could take this guy. And we got.
Speaker 6: Michael and I got into a whole thing back and forth which almost never happened. I mean, we were not kind of clapping back at note sessions, and so we were kind of going back and forth, and I felt like you were in the middle a little bit. And finally he went, well, then we'll surround him with guys. We'll just surround him with guys. And we're like, okay, fine, Like it shouldn't be that big a deal.
Speaker 3: I don't remember, but I'm impressed that you remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's because it's one of the first times I kind of questioned a note.
Speaker 2: You know, we certainly yeah.
Speaker 6: You're clapping back at quote unquote Dad on the set in front of everybody. Was was a no no. So yeah, I certainly remember that. But I don't know if you remember that moment. We had so few of those kind of uncomfortable note session moments that I think they stick out in our minds.
Speaker 3: I don't remember, but I really remember having a good time. And I know you guys don't look back fondly, like you said at that exact moment, but it seemed like you guys were having fun.
Speaker 6: We were Oh god, we were overall we were having so much fun with each other and doing the show, and it was a blast. I do think.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, will you were committed one hundred percent all the time. But I do feel like artistically we were checked out, Like I did not care about the show itself anywhere. We were having fun together, like I cared about the community, right yeah, but like the quality of what we were putting on the screen, like, oh my god, Like I just didn't care.
Speaker 3: By season seven, which amazing was fifi right, well.
Speaker 2: Oh, Chantal was something like that.
Speaker 5: Had you ever done a live studio audience Multiican before?
Speaker 3: I had, so that first series that I came out for, the w B one w B one was in front of the audience, which I loved so but again I imagined that walking into those things and being comfortable, not being stressed. Ye in your skin. You know, you can be fun, You could be funny. It's so easy. Like I found it quite easy to be present in those things. I actually found being on the like the single camera dramas that I did in the in the midst of all that to be a bit tougher because it was you couldn't just like vibe off of what was going on. You weren't doing it right.
Speaker 1: There's no feedback loop. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's also very stop start, you know, you can't there's no flow to it that you get when you're me We were essentially doing a play. We might do the scenes over and over a couple of times, but we were doing a play every week, and there was that wonderful hybrid of the audience interaction and being able to step in front of the crowd and yeah, there's there's kind of nothing like doing that for camera sitcom. It's really really wonderful.
Speaker 3: It's a shame there are more of those nets.
Speaker 2: It's killing mew. Yeah, it's killing me.
Speaker 3: Isn't there like a man still in the world or something that you get.
Speaker 2: Man meets world? The world world no longer wants man.
Speaker 1: World sick of being met.
Speaker 5: Your You're part of crazy Luthor was was a little unhinged. You threaten the guys after they catch you stealing speakers for a rave, and then they dress and drag as a disguise to avoid you. I say this to ask, were you in any way a tough guy in real life?
Speaker 3: Not at all. There is no tough guy here at all. But I feel like there's a history of this in Hollywood, right It started with I mean probably Travolta, but like Henry Winkler, like these guys, You guys are puppy dogs, you know, yes, And I am definitely not that tough. Although my kid is learning karate just one of my kids.
Speaker 1: Just how old is that?
Speaker 3: He's eight?
Speaker 5: Okay, I have an almost seven year old. He's been in karate since he was three. We love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 5: We joked in our intro that Boy Meets World is by far the least interesting thing you've done professionally, but we did want to know, does anyone from any of your subsequent artistic.
Speaker 1: Lives know that you were on Boy Meets World? Does it ever come up?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure it must. It must because oftentimes I'm like traveling through the rest of my life and people are like, oh, man, I know I loved it. I remember you from that or that sort of thing, which is you know, it's awesome. I mean, it's great when it happens. I'm not sure if the Boy Meets World one comes up that often, Okay, but it must have. I mean it must have. You guys have so many people that grew up with you.
Speaker 5: I mean you were a pretty busy young actor in the circuit of auditions. You booking not only Boy Meets World, but you were on four episodes of The Nanny, You did six Party of Fives as two timing high school football player Cameron Wellcot. Yes, and you were a regular on a show called Nick Freno Licensed Teacher.
Speaker 3: That one was the series regular one.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: They had a season of it, and then they recast that aged it up or something, and so it was all new folks in that second season, with the exceptional with the exception of the guy that played Nick Freno. It was terrific passed away a comedian, a guy called Mitch Mullaney. He was a lovely guy.
Speaker 2: Oh, Mitch Mullaney was really funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, So it was.
Speaker 1: Did you have anyone in your family in the business, What does your family do?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't. My My sort of life trajectory was I just never stopped doing all the play pretend that so many parents make their kids do when schools do. Like I just never stopped painting. I never stopped writing. The second I had a camera, I went out and made art films with the bulex and shot film and learned how to develop film, and you know, with acting, it's like I just always was in the place all the way up, like just was fun. It was something to do. So I never lost that thing. My parents loved going to the theater, loved going to cinema and being part of that, but they didn't have any connection to it. But they did have an interesting thing which I've done with my kids, which is essentially if there's anything they want to see, we can go see it, even if it means they have to miss something that they don't like, like school stuff or homework stuff or whatever, just as a way to get you in. And it's, you know, I guess unsurprising how much they choose to see that in research, like I want to see We just saw, not with the kids, but we saw a Rocky horror picture show. Our friend Luke is in it, and it's amazing. If you're in the city, you should see it. This is not a plug for them, but it's amazing. And we're saying And that was one that my daughter was like, hey, I read about Rocky, my ten year old, I heard about there doing Rocky hard picture show, Like, I really want to go. It's a hard no, but we ended up going.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so could you grow up in New York City?
Speaker 3: Then I did. I grew up in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay. So you're surrounded by culture anyway, which is nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was in a repertory company when I was a kid, Like I was around it. It just wasn't an objective. It was just something that you did, something that was was was part of it. So I knew the you know, I knew the words, I knew the stuff. I'd been around that I'd visit friends on you know, movie sets, or I watched things happen. I mean, actually the first thing. There's one audition that happened previously, which was that, and this would have been a very different conversation if that one would have happened, I think it would have stuck. It was that Joel Schumacher when he was making Batman and Robin. I think that's the one with the nipples. I'm not sure. When he was making Batman and Robin, he came to my school in New York, in Manhattan to like look for kids to discover because I guess the initial version of that script had a younger Robin, like a much younger Robin. And so like me and two or three other kids from like private school Manhattan were asked audition. And so I did prep for that, and I did meet him, and I remember it was the day of the earthquake in LA was when I met him in New York at Warners, and I remember walking in and seeing like the big w B and stuffing like, wow, this is pretty cool. I can't be like this could actually happen. I might be Robin how crazy. Anyway, it didn't happen, but that was the only other like get out there and audition and try out before at all sort of tick doom.
Speaker 5: We know that you also paint, but you're best known for your signature technique in metal and photography.
Speaker 1: How did that become your medium?
Speaker 3: So I always felt that photography, let me reave it. When I started and I was in a dark room, and I was, I don't know, twelve years old, fourteen years old, and you're in the dark room. We still didn't have iPhones. There still wasn't even there may have been some version of a digital camera, but it wasn't something that everyone was running around with. And so I felt at the time when I was learning and making prints, that that was a finished product, right. It was something that was like done, you touched it, you'd done it. And then as all this everyone became a photographer. Everyone could just snap unlimited photos until you stopped watching the world and you just you know, just hold down the trigger or whatever. I felt that I needed to do something more to tell stories, right, and a single image wasn't enough, and so the only way I could really Also, I started to look for how how do I tell a narrative story with photography but in a single item. And then I became fascinated with just the environment and all the terrible stuff we were doing to mess up the earth. So I started looking for ways to talk about that but not be I don't know, overt or political. Even in my twenties, just didn't feel like yelling at somebody was the right way to get a message across, right and make it and hitting them over the head with it. And so I started to look at aluminum, and aluminum in particular was something that you know, it was recyclable, it was reusable, it was it just wasn't as I don't know, it didn't mess with sort of that cycle as much. And I looked at it as a way to and it was very malleable, right because you can get it thin, you can get it, you know, do something. So I started etching on it to play with it, and then I started melting my negatives onto the aluminum, try to create something more like with more depth and three dimension to it. And eventually that ends up with you know, I'm still a fairly I mean, I feel like I was a boy. But you know, young man or whatever. You know, when you have a chance, you live by yourself in La away from your family, you have a house that basically was like a flammable art studio. It's amazing and burnt. The first thing you do when you go on boy Meet's World and make a couple thousand bucks is go buy a welding.
Speaker 1: Shit, and so as one does, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Doing that and having fun with those toys, and so it eventually became these large scale photographic sculptures where I could put multiple images on and really tell a narrative story that as an object it could look beautiful, So you could, you know, a ten year old could look at it like that's really just nice looking. But equally I could push more i don't know, uncomfortable messaging on the work in a way that you didn't have to just stare at, that you didn't have to feed upset about. You know, I'd made an easy one to explain is I did a film about mercury pollution that one actually and and a methyl mercury molecule. It's sort of like the big ball part, and then there's two little ones and then one at the top or however it would go. But if you frame it that way, and it sort of looks like a pregnant woman, right. And so when women the reason that I don't know when you had your kids, Danielle, but you know when my wife, for our ten year old, the doctor you know, said to my wife, you can have you know, certain kinds of fish, you know, once a week. There's certain things you can eat every day. There's certain things you can't have. Ever, I can't have tune or deep sea fish. By the time we had our second child two years later, it was like no fish, right. And so part of that is that methyl mercury when you eat it and you ingest that if you're pregnant, it goes through your body, but the placenta pulls it out of and all heavy metals pulls it out of your body and puts it into the fetus. And so these children were being you know, being born like horribly deformed, and it was terrible. And so that work, you can look at that. And so I took images of fishermen and Japanese fishermen, which is where this took place, this particular issue and sort of melted, melted the negative stock which Kodak was making for me, and onto this big sculpture of the methyl mercury molecule. And so you could see it as a ten year old and look at it and not feel uncomfortable and just look at as a beautiful object. But if you look closer, you see really what it is and start to put the pieces together. And so making these objects became quite and it was just fun. Also it's a good delivery system for storytelling. So really fun to do these things, Like you get to be big kid, right, Like I mean, I have a laser cutter that can cut a piece of metal that's this thick like butter. I mean it's you know. I mean, if you guys are in New York and more, welcomes anytime, come by and play a little bit. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: But so how do you get noticed?
Speaker 4: How do you get I mean like you're so you're in LA, You're doing this incredible work on your own, Like how do you get the attention of the art world or how does anybody find it?
Speaker 3: I've never chased the attention. I found that I was making things that were different. My work ended up finding its legs and giving me the financial support that I needed through private clients, private and a lot of a lot of like commission work right where someone would say, hey, I saw this in this gallery. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, And my stuff could go indoors or outdoors, which is also quite unique because you can't. Generally, there's not much photography or image based work that can sit outside. So I was having quite a few folks that were living in hot weather places, vacation weather places where they're these big homes and they want something big outside. But most of the sculptural work that you would see traditionally was like heavy, heavy metal shapes really, and so it just sort of made its own way. And then some museums came and auctions came, and yeah, sort.
Speaker 6: Of I'm looking at some of the pieces right now. I'm sorry if it looks like I'm looking at my phone, because I am. And some of these.
Speaker 2: Are just they're so cool.
Speaker 6: This is this is one, right, Yeah, So if you look at it again, if you look at the picture wider, it's just this really cool, almost sci fi kind of sculpture that you like to see anywhere, and then you zoom in on it and.
Speaker 2: It's all skulls and it's like just super cool, I mean really incredible.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a way of playing with it, right, So I did that one with intentionally looking like something that could have come from outer space. The shape, but also the elements to that one are egg shaped, right, So, like you know about life death, where we come from this sort of thing. And the images that I've melted onto there are from a famous chapel underground crypt I guess in Rome. That's meant to be like the gateway to the afterlife.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 6: It was where Dante said you entered the purgatory, right, and.
Speaker 3: So these skulls are the skulls of Capucian monks, and so it's meant to be the holiest place on earth to this cult, this group. Right. But when you look at it, like on my takeaways, like this is freaky and scary and looks like death not life. But to some people it looks like life and afterlife and positives. The sort of playing with those things, and you know, because you can suddenly play with shape and you have something three dimensional, you just have the ability to just put more information in there that people can take different things.
Speaker 6: For now, before you started with the laser. You said you went out a welder. Isn't aluminum like really flammable?
Speaker 3: No it's not not it's not okay, not the way that Yeah, okay, And I thought I never tried to light like a piece of aluminum foil on fire.
Speaker 6: No, but like when you're melting, isn't it hard to to join two pieces of aluminum together?
Speaker 2: Or is it easy to do that? I thought it melts if you try.
Speaker 3: To get hot thick slabs.
Speaker 2: Okay, got you, got you? Got you?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: So like a piece like that is a bit is a big heavy.
Speaker 3: Like thick like this? Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay the panels?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, about an inch and a half two inches thick?
Speaker 2: How heavy is something like that?
Speaker 3: Heavy?
Speaker 6: Geez?
Speaker 3: Heavy?
Speaker 5: But yeah?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 3: These are fun things, like you have ropes and bulleys and things to move stuff around your studio. I mean I was, I had custom development trays. There's developing images in that were you know, like this half the size of like an suv or something. I mean, it's really fun to play with. These are like, you know, big boy toys.
Speaker 6: So I have to ask, are you almost like you're taking the images from the negatives?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: And then you melt that is it is it almost like wrapping a car, Like how do you know?
Speaker 3: So I etch onto the aluminum, so I make the shape. It depends what it is, but generally speaking, I'll make the shape. I'll etch onto the aluminum like whatever I want on the metal behind it, right, And then I'm basically developing onto a transparency, right like if you think almost like the thickness of Remember I don't know the age of most of your listeners, but do you remember in like elementary school, they had that like that projector thing and they and they put like the clear thing on it project the wall like about that thickness, right, And then I'm taking that and I'm heating the metal underneath with pretty big industrial hot plates and it just melts like enough that enough that it makes the work feel like it has added depth, but not enough that if even if you got really close and looked at it, if you didn't see any bleed or in melted pieces. Geez.
Speaker 5: So you take a break from acting for quite a while, you're focused almost entirely on art, but then you do dive back into Hollywood head first with directing, writing and producing.
Speaker 1: What do you.
Speaker 5: See other than creativity. Do you see any sort of similarities between the work you do in the art world and the art you make in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 3: Sure? So the biggest difference to start with is that I am limited as a fine artist by my own skill set, right. I can't make anything that I can't physically make, Like, if I'm not good enough to make it, I can't do it. And I was making quite a few little art films just outside of Hollywood, just things that were, you know, experimental is a weird word, but just pushing it, just trying different things, seeing what I could capture, how I could say something, how I could tell story, you know. And I always had a couple talented crew members around, a great cinematographer if I wasn't shooting at other the folks. And every time those works were coming out, or not every time, but a lot of the time those works were coming out better than anything I felt I could make by myself. And I always figured I would be making sort of Hollywood movies like Bigger. I mean, I don't really make commercial commercial film, but like more commercial films for more eyeballs. And I wanted that. I wanted more people to see it, and I saw cinemas like the all time best deliveries system for any of the things that I care about, And so, you know, I wrote a first feature or the first kind of feature that could work for that, and it was meant to be something experimental. It was this movie called Lullaby, and it was meant to be something that I was going to go out and cast actual families going through bereavement, right, or going through the death of a parent where they were kind of considering taking them off life support, right, and so felt right to die, patients rights, those sorts of things. And I had gone through something like that in my family, and so I wrote it just to figure it out. And I was looking to do that. And one of my clients in my client became a friend, you know, but someone that collected a bunch of my art was quite a high level person in Hollywood that was an agent, owned an agency. And I was like, Hey, I'm just looking to do this, looking for a family. Do you guys ever have you know, this was like before reality TV, and you can you know, you guys have any way you can help on He read it, the lit department read it. They're like, listen, you need to stop with all the the like fine art stuff and you just need to be like writing and making films Like this is exactly the thing. And the next thing I knew, I had this out of control cast on a million dollar art film. And you know that cast was insane. I mean it was I had, you know, Garrett Hedlund, Richard Jenkins, Ann Archer, Terrence Howard, Jennifer Hudson, Amy Adams, Jessica Brown Finley, this girl Jessica Barden, like an amazing cast coming together to like play with me in a little hospital on Roosevelt Island, just in a room making this thing. It was incredible. And then when I watched it, it did a lot of the things that I wanted it to do. But the biggest takeaway was like wow, Like the the experience was amazing and totally cathartic for me, but it also was so much better than anything I could make by myself. And that kind of multiple of it was amazing. And you know, I wasn't I'm not a megalomaniac that needs to control everything. I was really happy for all of my department heads and everyone on that set to be creatively together. And so I just kept going and kind of, you know, it's it's by far the most fun thing that that I get to do outside of family life and that. But I mean, I love making movies. I just seem to choose impossible ones to get mad. Right.
Speaker 6: Well, you mentioned that when you were acting, and I'm putting that in quotes because you seem like you were doing it just kind of for fun and for the experience that you're just kind of going with the flow. You weren't really nervous because it was like, let's just have fun. Do you feel the same way as a filmmaker. I mean, do any of the mediums that you work in make you anxious nervous or is it all just kind of like, hey, let's go in and just enjoy the process.
Speaker 3: Not really, you know, I get more nervous when I get my kids report cards and going for your conferences and stuff like that. You know, I don't. You know, making art is such a privilege, right, and like the kind of work that I've gotten to do is such a privilege that just getting to day one, It's like my anxiety is before day one, right, But once we get there, I actually feel that my mind clicks in and I feel most comfortable in those environments. There's no time for anxiety, no time to be sort of kin nervous about it. If anything, I'm I'm very prepped for my work. So yeah, I don't I don't really feel out of place in those environments. I feel more out of place here talking to I mean, you guys are awesome, but like doing this kind of thing. I guess the one place I do feel awkward is sitting on panels and press talking. And the press part is quite feels weird to me because also by the time I'm doing that, I'm so like, I'm checked out. I'm done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're done.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 5: I have a checklist of things we have to talk to about with you. So now we're onto the comic book with Andy Serkis tell us all about Eternis.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I was fascinated, Like there was all this world building going on in Hollywood, and it just felt, you know, it's amazing what you know Marvel did and what these guys are doing. There was all this talk about it, but it didn't feel like there was anything more or anything that I don't know, you could gain from it as a viewer, Like it was sit back and just like let it all come to you. And I like anything, whether it's a book you're reading, a graphic novel, or a movie where you're just leaning forward like you're meeting it somewhere. And then I noticed that Greek mythology in general just wasn't being taught in the same way it was when we were kids. Yep, this is a shame. Like there's an opportunity here. How can I take all of Greek mythology and just combine it? And you know, we spent I don't know, six months or so having a really good time trying to connect make false you know, just sort of create the sinews between the different stories and the different pieces, and like, how do we make this one this person like somehow in the same family tree or somehow connected to this person. It doesn't exist, but it's not in conflict with anything that does, and just sort of bundle it up and then look for ways to make it speak to modern issues, right, And so one of the things that we played with was religion and the idea, I mean, I'll ruin it for all your viewers. If you happen to be going out to get this graphic novel or wherever at Barnes and Noble, like I guess press mute or something, you know, grant. But we loved the idea that that Zoos effectively could because he's all powerful, all knowing, you know, number one A plus god could basically go all right, this thing isn't working out, Like I'm losing followers because I don't hang out at the temple and I don't do this thing right. And this is like we were doing this while social media was really exploding, and I'm not like courting followers by doing stuff that I'm not down with. I'm not playing the game whereas some of the other gods, the lesser gods are. So I'm gonna check out. So he fakes his death basically we don't know this till later, and he becomes Jesus right, and he goes, I'm just gonna do this other thing, like I know how to work the system. And he goes and does it and then starts his own thing and reveals it, and it just this this talk about like how do you get people to buy in? What are the manipulative elements, and like how performative do you have to be? It's not an indictment on any religions or anything. It's just more of an indictment on modern culture, modern society, but really fun and also sexy. Right, there's a view on Greek mythology the way we've all read it. You don't necessarily feel the sexiness of it, right. I use sexy. I don't mean like sexy sex. I just mean sexy, interesting, exciting. But we you don't read it on the pages normally. We wanted to lean into that as well and have a good time with it. And you know, looking at things like Medusa, Like Medusa was a totally under explored character in the modern world, right, this is a and so we looked at Medusa and looked at the original history or the original lore, and Medusa was the curse, not the person, right, And so the idea that you know you had this is also before me too and all of the things that came later. So we looked at the idea that there was a lot of like victim blaming in our culture, right, and so Medusa like how you get cursed? You know, there was rape and taking advantage of people and you and that person was getting blanket and becoming Medusa. And so there's all these complicated themes inside of it, but it's really fun and the idea, but we haven't gone to it yet because we've all gotten so busy and Andy is like out of control and what's going on in his world In the best way, the idea was like, what a great universe to work cinematically and making films with and shows because there's so much to play with there and so much to do. And it's it's adults, right, Like that was an adult delivery system for more complex themes, but in a sexy, exciting way.
Speaker 1: Writer, do you want to know about the Gin Company?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us about you have a Gin company?
Speaker 3: The Gin is amazing. The Gin is like the real thing that will make you hate me. So my wife is a classical singer, opera singer, and she is, I guess, the most successful classical singer of this century. And I mean it's like I definitely overachieved in that category in a big way. And Catherine couldn't drink alcohol, right, so she went to Royal Academy Music, you know, twenty years ago, and there was nothing that she could drink. And they're quite focused at the Royal Academy about like teaching them how to protect their voices, right, they're not. You know, the people that go there are very specific in terms of how they what they have to do to not damage their instrument. So, you know, my wife is almost like a psychotic Novak Djokovic type in terms of like an athlete in terms of what she puts into her body. She couldn't drink alcohol were sitting in Covid. We're in the UK. We lived between there and at the time we were living there, and you know, it was just one of those things that it was like, oh well, let's see if I can get my wife drunk and let's make let's make an alcohol and she liked gin. She wanted gin. We found a master distiller to make this gin. But we knew nothing. We're not entrepreneurs, we knew nothing about the spirit's business. We did not approach it in that way at all. We basically gave these like super fancy sixth generation master distillers an impossible task of here are the things I use for my voice, Manuka, honey, b pollen, these things that you wouldn't traditionally put into a gin. And I need you to make it so smooth and have no sugar and use this specific water from rural whales that has the least amount of microplastics in the world in it, and I need you to, you know, distill it in a way that takes out any added sugar that we were putting in because of the manuka honey. And I need you to use like the most quality minuca, Like just crazy stuff like what dirt the juniper has grown in all this and fifty seven samples later, and creating basically a new technology to make gin with a totally outsider's view. She tries it and it doesn't And she's the kind of person, like, you know, she doesn't eat dairy, Like if there's a little touch of dairy and something, she immediately is like, yeah, there's dairy in this, and she feels it. She didn't feel anything. I'm on a zoom call with the distillers, Catherine's zoom called distillers, and I'm like, so how much do I have to buy? Like this is amazing. I can stop bleeding money now on this, Like you know, do you have jugs to send it over in? Like what do we do? And the guy is like, you guys really need to do something with this, Like you've this is like the nineteen forty two of Gin, like you've created the thing you oh, And also she couldn't it needed to We needed to be able to drink it without mixers because you don't really know what's in the cocktails. So it was like a gin to on the rocks basically, right, we're in a martini. So you guys have nailed it. You've got this thing, you got to you gotta do something with it. I'm like, we're like, I'm going to make a movie now, the world is opened up. Catherine's going on tour like we're good. Just you know, tell me how how much I need to order. It's like, well, if you're not gonna do something with it, how about I give you Gin for life, for the rest of your life, unlimited, and I'll take all the tech and all the recipes and everything we developed for you. And that was sort of like, you know, yeah, just pump the brakes. I'm just going to go just check this out quickly. And it's been wild and like we are like the first really like clean, clean, ultra premium, highly sustainable. Like, so we did the same thing with the bottle because again we had no idea what we were doing in starting a business. So, like, the liquid was wildly expensive to produce, but the bottle, I was like, I want a handblown piece of art, you know, and I wanted to be fifty percent lighter than any of the other bottles because recycling is not that real with bottles, so I need to like reduce carbon footprint through just the product itself and how you make it and how you transport it. So I needed to be lighter. So we did all this this like development with it with an other friend, and we ended up with this beautiful bottle and it just sort of took off and now you know, we are the most awarded I think it's where the most awarded ultra premium gin ever. Mind you, that's a very small category in terms of like there are very few people that are playing in that space. And yeah, it's it's it's incredible and our team is like, we've attracted unbelievable talent. The thing became a real business. We've now come into the US. We're in New York, La Vegas, Florida. Cool. That's sort of going and it's really fun because it's you know, it's the first thing like Catherine would come in to the edit suite and look at cuts or you know, read it scenes that I'd written or a script, and I sit in her studio and listen to music and give advice or give notes to give thoughts. But it's still yours or hers or mine, right Like this is something as in our marriage is unbelievably great, like because we get to do it together, in fact, our daughter. To give you sense of how much time is spent on this thing that wasn't even supposed to be a project and wasn't a passion for us, we went to like our daughter's parent teacher conference and in front of the in front of the classroom, you know, they put on the walls like these like these, you know, like a self portrait and you know things about your kid that they wrote, and you know it says, you know, she likes dance, she likes this, she likes singing, she likes whatever. And it's like my parents like what your parents do, right, and she wrote, my parents make gin and Tonics. We of course like freaked out doing things and every day we're not g Atonics at home. We actually have a brand and it's a thing which is like we talked about all because it's something that's shared between us. Yeah, it's really fun.
Speaker 6: It's Does it have orus in it Orris?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Okay, because I love gin and I had to stop drinking gym because I'm allergic to oris.
Speaker 2: So I'm hoping maybe there was.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what get You're in LA, right, we can just send me your details and we'll get you something to ill.
Speaker 5: Where where is it in New York? Like I said, we're about ready to leave for New York next week. Where can we find it in New York?
Speaker 3: I don't know. So the beauty of the business is that when we started, it was Catherine and I sort of moonlighting on the side and one person. Now our business is I think we have thirty five employed, full time employees. We have a whole distillery that we own in Wales where it's made like it's a different thing. So I no longer know your hands off places. But there's a lot of them. I mean, we managed the creative and you know, the new products, and we have a non elk that's amazing, like an adaptogen non elk that we launched in the UK in January that'll come here soon.
Speaker 2: What's it called? What's the name of the gin.
Speaker 3: It's called Signet. Okay, Signet like a baby swan So it's made in Swansea, which is Katherine's hometown in Wales, and their mascot is a is a baby swamp. So you've got Signa twenty two, which is really Catherine's spirit. This was the one that was created for her. But I was like a brown, like a dark spirit drinker. I like to kill, like whiskey, and so I took that and put it in Welsh oak whiskey barrels, like used whiskey barrels and aged it for a year and what came out was like out of control bananas. Good called Signet seventy seven. They're both like sipping gins. I mean, they're great in cocktails. But it's just fun. It's and it's and it's creative, and like I'm making short movies FORGNA, and I have budget that I don't have to ask anyone for, so that's fun too.
Speaker 1: So great.
Speaker 5: My final question for you is, let's say someone who is listening to this episode has heard all the incredible stuff that you have done, and I'm sure many of those accomplishments are things you could have never seen coming you know, twenty five thirty years ago, when you were on a set of Boy Meets World playing Crazy Luther, what advice would you give to someone who's looking to make all of their artistic dreams turn into a successful career.
Speaker 3: Sure, so you know, I teach at NYU, and I've been doing it for about a little over a decade maybe, and I get asked this specific question all the time. And I think there's two pieces. The first piece is I think that there's a mistake that happens in our modern society where everything is about specialization, right, And I think that we've lost this idea that being an artist is a state of mind, not a discipline. Right. And so you become an actor, you become a director, you become a painter, or a novelist or a screenwriter or a novelist or whatever that is. And I think being an artist is about. I think the job is to take in as much information that you can from the world around you, right, to have your eyes up when you take the subway, to not be locked into your earbuzds as good as it feels, right, but to be looking at people, at seeing how people interact. That's studying the world around you, and reading everything, listening to everything, being uncomfortable, going to places and having conversations with people that you don't agree with right, taking it all in. And I think the job is then like mixing it around, finding the subjects that you care about, and then finding ways to put it out right. Like I have books of poetry. I've tried to write a couple of novels. I've never gotten them out there right. But I did it because there was something that was felt right to me, something that I wanted to look at and examine, and a story I wanted to tell. But it wasn't right to make a film. It wasn't right for tea sir, it wasn't right for a body of sculptural work, right. So it needed to be a book. But it didn't work. It's not good enough. I couldn't get it there. But that's the place that it should have been, and it made sense. And so that's part one is keeping going. And the other thing is that's connected to it is is being open right, like I may yet find a moment where I stepped back in front of the camera. In fact, I can't wait for that moment right where you know I'd have to work out a lot more and get fit and do some other things. But you know, I can't wait to sit on the other side of the camera. Now I'm not actively looking, but when that comes, my approach would be totally different, and it might come right, and there may be a whole other turn for me. So I think it's about having confidence to know that inside of you you're capable of doing any of these things right. You just have to commit and work. And part of that, by the way, is and this is also something I tell my students, all of you know, the eighteen nineteen, twenty twenty two year olds, the people that are coming out of school. If they're going to go be a banker or they're going to go be a lawyer, or they're going to go be an engineer, right, they're going to work all day, every day at what they do. I think there's a feeling for artists where they find they sort of fall into this despair sometimes and they don't just constantly push like push work. They don't work on it. And you don't have to fear a screenwriter. You don't have to sit at a computer and write all day. Right, you can be out walking around and seeing the world and just trying to be inspired. And I think that work ethic is something that artists sometimes wrestle with because they feel like they're it's wasting time and somehow wasting time to watch five films in a row. But it doesn't have to be if you have an objective with it, right.
Speaker 1: I love that, Andrew, thank you so much for coming that.
Speaker 5: You have such a fun and interesting career and you are such an interesting alumni of Boy Meets World. So we are honored to be a small part of your journey and we are going to take credit for it after this interview.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. You're welcome. That's why we brought you on here.
Speaker 3: You're welcome, and I hope I get to see you guys at some point be terrific.
Speaker 5: We would, Will and Writer are going to dress and drag.
Speaker 1: We're going to We're all going to wear the same outfit.
Speaker 5: We actually talked about it earlier that the three of us were going to dress like they were going to dress like me. So when we do that is when we should get together a picture we can see you perfect.
Speaker 3: That would be fantastic.
Speaker 2: I'm going to need some seventy seven.
Speaker 5: First, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Bye, My gosh, what an underachiever. I so want one of his pieces.
Speaker 6: I've been like, I was trying not to just stare at my phone the whole time, but I was looking at some of his work.
Speaker 2: And they're just really cool looking. Yeah, truly amazing.
Speaker 6: And you wonder how, I mean, I know how somebody writes the screenplay, I know how somebody paints a painting.
Speaker 2: I can't do all that, souff, but you wonder how somebody.
Speaker 6: Comes up with something like that, like an all new technique of I'm going to take a sculpture, but it's also going to be part Like.
Speaker 2: It's exactly what he was describing though.
Speaker 4: It's that like it's that renaissance Renaissance man is the term, but like renaissance person approach to life where you're just like, yeah, if you're if you're smart and talented, you can kind of do anything if you put your mind to it. And the fact that he's just always has put his mind to it, you know, his body to it. Every like here he was in La, like moving to LA for a TV show, but then obviously started doing all this art and photography.
Speaker 2: Like that's just so cool man, and I like I agree with him.
Speaker 4: That, like I wish more people sort of activated those parts of the you know, I feel like we are so we're so like career driven, especially like in high school you're basically told.
Speaker 2: Like, well, you are an actor, you are going to.
Speaker 4: Be this, you're going to be a painter, you're going to be a photographer, and like you know, or I mean, actually those are that's in the best case scenario. I think more often it's you know, you should be an engineer, you should be you know.
Speaker 2: It's like it's more practical.
Speaker 4: So like the arts, getting any attention is rare, and then within those arts, I feel like, yeah, people specialize, Like people are told like you're just going to be a filmmaker, and it's like, man, if you open yourself up, you could do anything, like yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: It's also you're talking about being career driven and stuff. It's also like we get into the I know, for me, this is like my big thing. I need to know what's the goal?
Speaker 1: What am I doing this for? What's the end?
Speaker 5: So the hope is the hope is what and then okay that sounds it's like a worthwhile endeavor.
Speaker 1: Then for me to go through steps A, B, C, and D. But if something even.
Speaker 5: Slightly intrigues you or piques your interest, pursue it a little farther. What's the worst thing that happens is you end up deciding you don't it is the goal?
Speaker 2: Well exactly, yeah. In fact, I would say that that's actually helped.
Speaker 4: I think that's the problem, especially with the film industry, is that so many people are like, well, I want to be a movie star or I want to be a TV star, and it's like, actually, the process of being an actor is something very different. The process of being an actor is probably going to be doing small theater auditioning a million times a day. And if you can enjoy that, then you probably cut out to be an actor because and also the bigger parts come because.
Speaker 3: Of the smaller things you've done. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, the idea of like being so end focused is actually detrimental to your artistic development and detrimental to your career, whether you realize it or not. Like the amount of actors are people who want to be actors, who spend their time at the gym and an acting class and don't take smaller roles or just make their own projects or whatever. You know, it's like, that's that's a try that too stuff.
Speaker 2: I never called.
Speaker 6: Myself an actor when I especially when I was a kid. I always wanted to be on TV.
Speaker 3: Right, that was it.
Speaker 6: I want to be on TV. And so the you wonder what the career path would have been had it been like, no, I want to learn the.
Speaker 2: Craft of acting. I just want to act. Wherever it that takes me is where it's going to take me. But it wasn't that.
Speaker 6: I just I wanted to be on a sitcom, which is great, and I got my goal. But at the end of the day, sitcom is now essentially dead, and so I'm I trained, you know, the theoreman, which nobody plays anymore. So it's like, hey, you specialized in this one instrument that nobody wants. And so it's like, you wonder where it would have been if it been like no, I just want to be an actor and wherever that takes me.
Speaker 3: That's the right.
Speaker 1: I love. Also interesting he was saying about that.
Speaker 5: He says to his NAU students about like, if you were going to go and do a job that wasn't in the arts you'd be mint spending a minimum of nine hours a day at your job. And so if as creatives who maybe our work isn't behind a desk, it isn't to set the routine for yourself that every day, even if I don't have a job right now, my job is doing something that's inspiring me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I make the same.
Speaker 4: The comparison I always make is to athletes, you know, like, because I feel like, especially with screenwriters, there's a sense of like, well, I could bust out a script over the summer or like, and it's like, no, no, you should always be writing, just like people who climb Mount Everest or who are in the Olympics are always training for that big event and eventually you're going to write the thing that will be the script or the novel that like changes your life. But you should always be working, because you know, nine hours a day is a minimum you should be putting into your you know, but we don't think of it that way. We tend to think of like, oh, wait till somebody pays me, and then I'll write.
Speaker 2: It, even just a little bit.
Speaker 6: I mean, I've been working on this book now forever, and it's because I take months and months off, and Robin Hobb, who's an incredible fantasy writer, has been helping me, and she always just writes me, and she's like, just write a sentence a day. She goes, that could become a paragraph a day, that could become a page day, and you might throw everything away, but just write a sentence a day and see what happens in smart God, she's right, just just sit down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, at least.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram Podmeets World Show, and you can send us your emails Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com and we've gotten merch.
Speaker 2: Thank you for making me feel like a lazy piece of Andrew.
Speaker 5: March Podmeetsworldshow dot com Meet World Podcast Producer, hosted by Official Wilfredell and Ryder Strong.
Speaker 6: Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddie Moore.
Speaker 2: Engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen.
Speaker 6: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show, or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com.