Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hey, this is justin Richmond from the Broken Record podcast. Join me this June for a live taping of Broken Record at the Tribeca Festival. We're all bee in conversation with Infinity Song, a New York based soft rock band comprised of four siblings who will also be doing a couple of songs for us. You'll hear the artists and a career spanning conversation about their inspirations and dynamic styles. We'll be at the SVA Theater on June twelve at eight thirty pm. Defund tickets. Visit tribecafilm dot com slash Broken Record all lowercase. That's tribecafilm dot com slash Broken Record. Hope to see there. Rico Nasty is a genre defying force and contemporary hip hop known for hurrah unapologetic style and fearless experimentation. Rico started releasing mixtapes while still in high school in Maryland, with early tracks like I Carly and Hey Arnold Catching Fire Online. You're dropping five mixtapes independently. She signed with Atlantic Records in twenty eighteen and introduced the world to her signature Sugar Trap Sound, a blend of aggressive new metal energy and trap production on breakout tracks like Smack a Bitch and Rage. Today, Leo Rose sits down with Rico as she prepares to release her fourth studio album Lethal. They dive into everything from the beautiful chaos of female heavy mosh pits at her shows, what it was like to suddenly come into lots of money as a teenager, to how she landed her first acting role in the upcoming A twenty four Apple TV series Margo Scott Troubles. To see the full video version of this interview, head over to YouTube dot com slash Broken Record Podcast. This is Broken Record, real musicians, real conversations. Now here's Leah Rose with Rico Nasty.
Speaker 2: So let's talk Lethal.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: I just saw your new video on the low. Came out to yeah, and it's so different. So when I heard the song, I pictured baby pink and like you in like a candy store or something like really sweet and girly. And then I see the video and it's you like twerking in a truck bed in a junk yard, and I'm like, oh, this is different.
Speaker 2: So how did you come up with a visual? How does that usually come to you?
Speaker 3: I just wanted to still keep my grunge.
Speaker 5: Like I think the overall inspiration was like horror movie vibes, like still embodying like this winter type of energy, like Winter Ringleader type of energy. But I feel like I watch a lot of movies, so I'm always like, oh, I want to do that.
Speaker 3: This shot is cool, this is fire.
Speaker 5: But yeah, shout out to the director on that, because what actually happened is I had sent one treatment and he and I broke it up into so many different ideas that like, there's so much more to come. I'm so excited to drop more visuals because everyone's so excited about about this one. Obviously this one is a lot more different than the last one, and it'll be like that, like moving forward. I just really like, yeah, i feel like I'm just taking all the risks and just doing what I really want to do and just try my best to like still maintain.
Speaker 3: My authenticity and like the things.
Speaker 5: That I enjoy, because I feel like I don't really like baby pink stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I know it's very much not you, but I felt like this song is a little different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's how I felt too.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh my god, like, well, it could still be a softer side, it could fin inside, but like in my own way, but like, yeah, that song definitely it gives pink, It gives bubbly cuteesy yeah, like soft furry yes.
Speaker 3: Oh soffer.
Speaker 4: So when you say you sent a treatment, what is that? Is that like you writing out what you see in your mind?
Speaker 2: Is it like different shots? Like what is a treatment?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So a treatment is basically a shot list of everything that you're trying to accomplish in the video.
Speaker 3: So you know, some.
Speaker 5: People follow more like mood boards, but I think mood boards kind of like limit creativity.
Speaker 3: Because it's too like spot on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: The treatment will normally be like.
Speaker 5: References of the way that I want things shot at certain angles and maybe the lighting some of like the b roll shots that I want to get.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like I use like videos that I like.
Speaker 4: Do you remember any references like movies or other videos.
Speaker 5: We definitely referenced like some old horror movie films on the coloring, like in the beginning seen with the car, just like the mild saturation but still keeping like those cool tones. That was like something that I've seen like in rob zombie films. So I remember that kind of being a part of like the treatment.
Speaker 3: Like, so, yeah, it's not always other music videos.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's sometimes it's like actual films and things that I've just seen and I'm like, whoa, I really love this. Like another one is AFX twin Yeah, window lickor love the scene where it's like he does a close up of the limousine and the tire rim had his logo on it. I was like, last minute, I'm like, oh, we need a lethal flag. We need something that's in in in the shots.
Speaker 3: So I thought about it. Yeah, sense of like at.
Speaker 5: The shows, like and people who are doing like the marsh pits and stuff. I think it's like there's like a language that could come with it, Like the leader of the pit could have, you know, the flag, the person who's come into the show. It's ready to function up. You have your flag, and you keep your flag up no matter what.
Speaker 2: Do people usually bring flags to the pit.
Speaker 3: They bring all types of shit to the pit.
Speaker 5: It's some so though I don't even know how the fuck they're getting into, but yeah, they bring a lot of shit to the pit.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy, Like I feel like your shows are the first time I've seen women or just girls in a pit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in those earlier days, it was really really crazy watching everybody just like get their shit off their chests.
Speaker 3: Yes, we don't really get to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I feel like there's a misconception about it too, because I feel like people think that it is just people like fucking each other up, but it's actually like such a community it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel like there's some there's a sense of like they're kind of like synchronized in some in some of the pits, it's not always beating each other up. Sometimes it's just like having your arms around your front and you're jumping at the same time and you're just feeling it and it's like twenty of you guys that could be a pet.
Speaker 3: Everyone kind of like.
Speaker 5: Just rapping the lyrics and feeling that shit with their whole hearted chest.
Speaker 3: And I think like where that comes from.
Speaker 5: It is just like so much anger having to be repressed on an everyday basis. Like I feel like, unfortunately it's okay for men to lash out, Like, you know, it's always been somewhat accepted in a symbol of power for a man to lash out and have no repercussions for their actions, but with women, it's always consequences for our actions. And I just feel like when we were doing that, I feel like it was kind of like we would have people at the shows trying to split the pit up.
Speaker 3: Y'all can't be doing this, don't inside a pit.
Speaker 5: But it's like, well, when else are we going to get to do this and not be looked at it's crazy, or not have a consequence, or not get kicked out of something or get thrown in jail or actual fight breakout. It's like, where is the space to just be a woman and want to fuck somebody up.
Speaker 4: And not care what you look like, get sweaty, like not have your makeup or everything have to be the same as when you walked into a venue.
Speaker 2: Like it just it's such a release.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I love that part too because I go through the same thing on the stage, like I don't look the same when I come out and when I go backstage like I'm drenched in fucking sweat and we done have a time, And I just, yeah, I love that and I live for that. And that's not pretty, That's not I don't think that's meant to be pretty.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the fact that they allow me that space to spend money on a nice outfit just to come getting Fu Sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 4: Have you ever wanted to do like a make a major left turn and try a whole different genre or something new for you that would be unexpected? But you're just like, I don't think it's the right time, or it's too early or whatever, Like, is there any type of music that is completely different from what you've already put out there?
Speaker 3: Hm? I think like me being you know, the smack of bitch Girl.
Speaker 5: I'm very rah And I think that when you think Rico Nasci and you think rock music, it's always been scream Oh, it's always been metal. It's always been new metal, hip hop metal. It's always been like that sense of like angst and growl with it. But I have two songs on this album that don't have that. It's rock music, though, and it's more so influenced by the rock music that I actually listen to. Like, it's more so influenced by like, you know, like beachy rock or like just more a calm, calm side.
Speaker 3: Yes, I see.
Speaker 5: I'm like so happy that people are receiving on the low the way that they are because on the low is very girly.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get like.
Speaker 5: Another vulnerable side of me with these rock songs that's very very feminine, very girly, but also very rico. And I'm like really excited for people to hear those because I don't think. I don't think people thought I could make a song like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, is that?
Speaker 4: Do you think you getting into the like the beachy rock or the more mellow side of things, like what you actually listen to? Is that you getting older?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 4: Is that just where you're at in your life? Like where have you always listened to sort of like more mellow stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I always listened to more mellow stuff really. Yeah, Like literally my favorite band is like Care for Cutie, Like I've always liked the softer the radio Heads. They's the drum shout out to the drums because I got to work with him, so like you know, like I've I really like that side, and I just feel like, you know, my character is so rash coming out the gate swinging that I don't think I got to show that side or show that I was even interested in showing that side.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm really like, I'm really excited.
Speaker 5: But to say it's like, yeah, I'm growing up, But I also feel like I am pleasing my inner child because there's still songs on there. Son of a Gun, Smoke Break, There's some songs on there that you just know like these are these are gonna be classic cult Rick on Nasty records that will be played at shows, that will get the party started, like yea, those are the ones that I'm kind of just like, I'm never gonna stop making those.
Speaker 3: I'll always be me. But there's something that I've done in all my projects.
Speaker 5: It's like there's there's always been like two or three, three or four that are like, hmm, what's this. This is a little bit, this is different, this is cool, and I just like showing people like, yeah, there isn't a limit to music. I'm not just a rapper. I feel like I'm at this point, I'm a real, like, real deal artist.
Speaker 3: Where we've been, we've been jumped out of that.
Speaker 5: And I do appreciate all of my fans that are here because I do my rap music and there is rap music on this project. Like I don't want people to think, oh, she's just doing rock or softer songs.
Speaker 3: No, Like it's still intense. It's a ride. I just want people to yeah, I didn't have fun.
Speaker 2: How do you know if something is catchy?
Speaker 4: Like when you're in the studio and you're recording something, Cause I feel like the first two singles are so catchy, Like do you have to listen to something a hundred times before you know? Like some part of the song, like whether it's a riff or the hook, something's gonna like embed itself in your mind.
Speaker 2: Like how do you know? Do you play it out somewhere like.
Speaker 3: The kids tell you if it's catchy.
Speaker 2: So you put it out online.
Speaker 5: I don't even put it out online. I play it for my son. I send it to my little cousins. I just I rely on younger people.
Speaker 2: Are they honest with you?
Speaker 3: Always? Always?
Speaker 2: What did they say? If they don't like it?
Speaker 5: They just don't respond, super jen Z, They just don't respond.
Speaker 2: Does it hurt your feelings?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I love it if you know what's funny?
Speaker 5: Like, sometimes I just be wanting, Like when I make music, I swear, I just be wanting to like welcome to a random person and be like can you listen to this real quick enough.
Speaker 3: Yes, like, yeah, I'm not scared of that.
Speaker 5: Like I'm like, you like this, come here, you look like you go like this Like I don't really, I don't care about that type of stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the lot on the kids rely on my friends.
Speaker 5: My friends will tell me if something is not My friends will tell me halfway through the song if they don't.
Speaker 4: Oh, but sometimes you need but sometimes you need to hear a song like eight times before, you know. I always have that experience where I listen to something, I'm like, I don't like this, but then if I hear it enough, you might hear something different or you might.
Speaker 3: Catch I think, and this could just be my artist take.
Speaker 5: I think that those two songs are catchy because the hooks were made before the verses, so normally I feel like that plays a really big part. Spending a lot of time on the hook and hearing it over.
Speaker 3: And over again.
Speaker 5: And it's not something that I just pulled out of the verse and repeated. It's like, yes, we worked on it. We worked on melodies, we worked on bridges, we worked on tweaking shit and different layers and how can we make especially for teeth sucker. How can we make the vocals and the guitar collaborate in a sense and on the low how can we.
Speaker 3: Repeat this hook but not make them get tired of it?
Speaker 1: And what is it?
Speaker 3: What's the bounce that we're feeling? How do we vocalize that?
Speaker 5: And it's like when they were producing the beat and we were doing the writing for the verse, the melody was uh, and then it wound up just being used.
Speaker 3: On the on the chorus. So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that that could play a huge part. Actually, it will take time on the hooks and a kind of like.
Speaker 3: Pop way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what is the hardest part for you? Like, is it hard for you to come up with melodies? Is it hard for you to fill in the lyrics? Is it hard for you to think of the overall vision for the song? Like, what's the most difficult part.
Speaker 3: The most difficult part, bro, is narrowing down the ideas.
Speaker 2: That's wow, Well that's good.
Speaker 5: That's a good problem, yeah, because it just feels like I'd be wanting to talk about everything all at once, and sometimes a song is supposed to be about thing, so handling and honing in on that one thing, thinking of bars and metaphors and things that have happened in my life to relate to this one thing and then making it sound cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be hard making it sound cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is the hardest part too, making it sound cool, because I feel like I take a lot of risks vocally and sometimes like when I'm rapping, like I don't really I just I stretch words and I do stuff like, you know, just just to be funny, and yes, just help to make it sound I don't know, whatever the fuck Have you.
Speaker 2: Ever thought that something was cool and then someone told you it was corny?
Speaker 3: Yeah? For sure, for sure, for sure, and like the whole first five years of my career, that would be.
Speaker 4: Hard because you're like, no, like what if you're pushing a limit and it's something people haven't heard yet, but someone's like closed minded and they don't know.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: I kind of just feel like I've always been a niche thing. I've never considered myself a steak dinner. I'm a very acquired taste. I'm not something you're gonna find that outback steakhouse. Like, yeah, I'm not like a fucking blooming onion, Like I'm not like, you know, I'm like, fucking what am I? I'm like a like a baja taco like kind like the really really good fry fish baja tacos. Like you got to go to a steak shop exactly, you have to go to a special spot. It's a mom and pop shop. Not everybody knows about it, but it tastes good every time. And I'm okay with that. Like I'm okay with not being McDonald's.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be McDonald's.
Speaker 5: So I definitely like pride myself on being niche and being unliked in some spaces, Like that's totally fine with me.
Speaker 2: That's cool. I feel like that takes courage.
Speaker 4: Like were you like that growing up? Did you care if people like did you care about fitting in? And did you care about what people thought about you?
Speaker 3: I think I cared too much. I think I cared so much that I cared enough for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Oh huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then once I hit eighteen, I was like, wait, I don't have to care.
Speaker 2: But then.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about that because being eighteen and getting like a shit ton of money kind of like thrown at you. Yeah, it's kind of hard to decipher what you care and don't care about and it just kind of comes off as like all over the place.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, so you mean like you can't say no to the money or.
Speaker 3: You just don't know what to say no to.
Speaker 5: Everything is so new and invigorating, and so it's so exciting. It's like I'm not gonna say no. Why would I say no?
Speaker 3: And then the older that you.
Speaker 5: Get, you realize how powerful the word no is and now how much it could have protected you. The older that you get, but you are so happy to even be in the space that you're just like I'm going to say yes, why would I say no? And yeah, you just get older and realize I could have said no to that, and you just got to like bet on yourself. And I think that's where I am the older that I've gotten, Like, yeah, we've I just feel like I've really learned how to just trust the decisions that I'm making and just trust like, look, I don't know, I don't know what I'm doing. None of us know exactly what we're doing, but I'm doing it and I'm having a fun time. And you can save the judgment for like people who genuinely like want feedback like.
Speaker 3: Please like I but I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more from Rico Nasty and Lea Rose after the break.
Speaker 4: So when you were eighteen and you started getting checks and money thrown at you, was it from for shows?
Speaker 2: Like what was the bulk of the money opportunities coming from?
Speaker 5: So I think like I started rapping and then yeah, shows were a huge part, and then I started getting record label offers, and then you go into publish deals. Then you going into like you're just like entering big money conversations, like conversations that it's like, let's take a second, let's let's read this over.
Speaker 3: I need a lawyer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think like, yeah, when I signed when I signed a deal, I was nineteen, and yeah, having having that much money so young is like, I'm so blessed to be here today because I think at one point everything in my life was so excessive, like I couldn't just do something in a small way.
Speaker 3: It was so grand. I had to spend so much money. And it's like I don't know, like I don't know if that's just being young, because like being young, like I was like a flexoholic.
Speaker 5: I love carrying big wags of cash and obviously seeing the kids do it now, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like you're good with your money though. I saw you talking. It was an interview a while ago, and you were saying like it seemed like you were good with.
Speaker 3: So good at my money now, so good at my money, and you were.
Speaker 2: Talking about being a minimalist.
Speaker 5: That's what it was, Yes, because I I feel like I became like an over consumer just just buying things, buying things because of the the way people like, you know, just falling into the I think it was during COVID, really falling into the ads. Oh my god, oh, oh my god, I have to have this, this so easy, And then you look and you're like, what is this stuff?
Speaker 3: Why do I have?
Speaker 2: It's a problem?
Speaker 5: What is this?
Speaker 3: This is? This is stuff?
Speaker 5: Doesn't even I mean I started really really taking the time to like buy things that I actually like.
Speaker 3: Now, does that mean that I have a closet the size of this studio.
Speaker 2: Of course not.
Speaker 3: My closet is super small.
Speaker 5: But everything in there I wear, and everything in there I love, and everything in there is something I'm going to have four years love.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love this.
Speaker 5: Being selective pays off eventually, cause in five years, I'm going to have a closet that.
Speaker 3: It's like, this is still the things that I like and it's not a trendy yes way.
Speaker 4: This is what I'm curious about with pop artists that you observe from where you're at now, Artists that you've seen go through different album cycles, different looks, but obviously feel like they're.
Speaker 2: Trying to cater to the masses.
Speaker 3: Does that.
Speaker 4: Like, do you feel sorry for them knowing that they're probably an artist too, Like they want to be going in a different direction, but they don't have the freedom to do so. Like, have you had conversations with people who have confided in you, like I wish I could.
Speaker 3: Do what you do? No, I can just read it. It's it's like you can tell when stuff isn't genuine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can tell, especially if you're like a fan of somebody and you've been following them and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: They're just like, what the hell when did you start doing that?
Speaker 5: Okay, but you know what, I think I think that I look at it from a point of view of like, damn, this is probably what they wanted to do, because I don't think it could go both ways. And that's why the music industry is so scary because in a lot of cases, the bigger you get, the more power and artistic control you have. It's like we trust in this person's vision. But I think that comes with how much you've spoken up for yourself leading up to this moment, that you've become somewhat of a machine for the labels. Like if you have not developed your voice at that time, then yes, you can be used as a pawn, and yes you can be switched into something that you never were before, but you can also be away your whole career and then get some thing and change, and that's what you really wanted to do. So I can't really look at it and be like on no hater shit, like, oh, that's not really them, because it very much could be them.
Speaker 3: That very much could be where they always want it to be.
Speaker 5: And I think a lot of times with artists it's always it's always I think, but that's the art. That's the art is conversation, and it's I think that's the beauty in it is wanting to know did they do this with intention?
Speaker 3: Did they not? Did they mean to speak to my soul in this way? Like it's you know, that's what music is about.
Speaker 4: Who's somebody who's been around for like ten plus years who you're like, Okay, I like how they did it.
Speaker 3: Huh. That's such a good question.
Speaker 4: That is such a good question, Like somebody who you really admire, do you feel like it's a true artist and has a real stake in it?
Speaker 3: I feel that way about Huh.
Speaker 2: I have like I have.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I have one person that I'm thinking about in particular that I feel like I don't want to say their name. I think it'll do too much for their ego. I think it'll do way too much for their ego.
Speaker 3: It is a girl though. It is a girl though.
Speaker 5: But watching her has shown me that anything is possible, and watching her has shown me that I mean and this is not a new artist. This is yeah, this is somebody that I watched, Like I watched when I was younger, when I was in high school.
Speaker 3: I watched and I've seen the shit that.
Speaker 5: They were on, and I've seen them get like be like underrated, and I seen and always knew how good they really were and kind of just always felt like why they're not getting recognition as everybody else.
Speaker 3: We did do a song together, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just watching them, it's kind of both. It's both, and that's the thing that sucks about being an artist. It's like feeling like you want that to be you, but you push those emotions to the side because you can't help. But see how fire it is that somebody like broke through what seems to be like a glass box that they put us all in and you just pop and then it's just done and you don't have to play by the rules that anybody else play it for. So I don't know if anybody can make out, but I'm not gonna see them. And I do feel like, what's actually like in the days recently, it feels like they'd be trying to like pit us against each other. But I do feel like that person was was there for me and like such an early time in my career that like that's impossible, like y'all could never do that, but like, yeah, it is amazing seeing that, and it is crazy saying you know, sometimes shit is like wait, it looks like some shit I would it did, like yeah, but I think that's Rick Rubin talks about that in his book, like everybody gets these ideas who's acting on them, though they'll go to somebody else and.
Speaker 3: There's you know, there's nothing, there's nothing wrong with that. It's like an idea of clouds. But I yeah, and I think, yeah, you're pretty.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm yeah, no, I know, but so okay, So with the idea. So I know that he talks about ideas sort of being in the ether. Yes, and like an idea can strike more than one person, or it can strike a bunch of people at the same time in.
Speaker 2: Different part of the world, does it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: So do you where do you feel like your ideas come from? Do you feel like they come from like a higher power? Do they come just from you? Do they come from your experiences? Like where do these ideas in your mind come from?
Speaker 5: I think they come from film movies, like movies that I've watched in ways that I would like to be portrayed if I in a movie. Oh, like I kind of look at like little videos like that. I've always loved scary movies, and I feel like I like things that are weird and quirky and you just don't really know where this is going. And like, yeah, you know, the Napoleon Dynamite, the Conah random, you know, fear and loading in Las Vegas, Like yeah, Mallorie, like natural born killers, like you just never know what's going to happen. That's the type of shit that I like. And I feel like that that's like, you know, represented in my work. I don't think my ideas come from.
Speaker 2: Like like Jesus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think my ideas are coming from like a higher power because I think like some of the stuff that I'm representing is a little bit too worldly for God to have given me that message.
Speaker 2: But when did you start getting into weird ship? Like when did you know, like, oh, I might be it is stuff that maybe my friends aren't into.
Speaker 3: I was probably like when Tyler the Creator came out.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, how old were you.
Speaker 3: Thirteen?
Speaker 2: Uh huh?
Speaker 5: I hate that roach And everybody was like, hell, oh my god, what are you want to listen it is?
Speaker 3: And I had like the shirt, the socks, the back back, like I was a fan.
Speaker 5: I was a fan, And yeah, that's when I knew that I was a little bit off and like I would just do I would do a lot of weird stuff when I was a kid, So like what like if it was a boy that I really liked, like I would like bite him, Like I was just like that type of kid like Maria. I got in trouble today for biting someone, and it's like the boy that I had a crush on. My mom was like, why the fuck would you bite him? Like I've always just been weird?
Speaker 2: Like is your mom in the weird shit? Like is there anyone in your family who is?
Speaker 3: Both of my parents are wead as fuck.
Speaker 5: Both of my parents are weird ass fuck Like I don't even there's nothing normal about either one of them.
Speaker 3: My dad is weird. He's a left brain person. He's like fully creative, very very like, loves to just always be doing something. He can't sit down for his to save his life. My mother is like that, lady.
Speaker 5: She has a wild imagination. My mom has a wild imagination, and she will think of a scenario quick quick. She'll be like, you know, you know what happened to Somer?
Speaker 2: So I'm like, girl, is she usually right? Or is it like left field?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: My mom's My mom is kind of like me where she's like.
Speaker 5: She be It's like the way she says stuff is wrong, but what she's saying is right as fuck. Like yeah, like she might say something really like why would you say that? But actually, when you break it down, I'm like, man, I wish I wish I had the boss to say that. I think that comes with age though, like she just doesn't, you know, it's so funny. I feel like a lot of people will relate to this, But like, does anybody have a parent who just don't give a fuck about getting canceled? Like they just they be saying, like a different generation, it's a different like yeah, you guys that are like like guys, people that are like fifty right now, they're the booth Like they don't give a fuck.
Speaker 3: They don't give a fuck.
Speaker 2: It's so true.
Speaker 5: It's kind of insane because I feel like we like are you know, we care? Yes, things, and y'all just be like, yeah, damn, sissy.
Speaker 2: We want boundaries. We want everyone to feel we want to yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But I've learned that me and my mom are actually very similar.
Speaker 3: We're very very similar, just generations.
Speaker 2: Of part Yes, how was it for you?
Speaker 4: I imagine that since your experience as a young adult and as an adult with work was so different than your parents, Like, how are you able to figure out what to do, like, did you have like a like role model since your life was so different.
Speaker 5: My dad helped me in the beginning stages to get a lawyer, okay, and help me with nothing else.
Speaker 3: He'd be like, all I know is that you need and I remember that that was that was.
Speaker 5: I mean, the fact of the matter is I don't have anybody that really truly understands. My parents don't fully understand the capacity of like they understand what I've done with my life, and they love and respect my career, but.
Speaker 3: They asked me all the time, like how the fuck the juppool is all?
Speaker 4: Are they still like you need to get another job or do they feel confident that you can like support yourself?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, my mom is always telling me to get another job.
Speaker 5: She oh, and and and you need that though, because yeah, out to my mom, because my mom was like, yeah, this shit is doing great, You're doing amazing. What else do you want to do with yourself? Because the doors are all opened around you. You can't just walk down this one path forever. And then acting came in Yes show, and even being on set for that has shown me what a real job is like, because.
Speaker 2: Wait, tell me about that. So you're gonna be in what's it's called?
Speaker 3: What's it called Margo's Got Money Troubles?
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 5: Yes, and it's a book. So any wants to know like what show is about because I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't say too much.
Speaker 5: But oh, it's like about wrestling OnlyFans. Oh it's a lot though, and it's good. It's like somewhat of a.
Speaker 3: Heavy topic, makes wait a little freaky stuff here and there. Who knows.
Speaker 2: Has it been a good experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been amazing.
Speaker 5: And everybody on set is just so sweet, full of energy and makes you feel so comfortable, and it's like before you know it, the shit just flies by.
Speaker 3: But it is very different from being a rapper.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, are you good actor?
Speaker 3: I would say, so shit, I mean to pull like Apple TV A twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, I know.
Speaker 3: I think I'm pretty fucking good.
Speaker 2: Anything A twenty four is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I we had to do like a lot of auditions and stuff like oh you did for anybody watching. It's not like I just oh, I'm regoing nasty, give me the roll. I had to like actually audition and like go to callbacks, like you know, really do it? And they don't give me special treatment on set. I have to be there at six am, just like everybody out all.
Speaker 2: What are the days like?
Speaker 3: Long but fun and every I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's like, you know, they got the fake light in, you know, in those Hollywood studios they have like the fake lighting and shit like that.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't ever feel like it's getting dark. So you never, like a casino, yeah, you never know what time it is until.
Speaker 5: You walk outside, which again I love, and I love getting this experience of a new job and learning new things and being around new people and learning how things are made because in the grand scheme of things, I think that's why I got into making music, because I love the way things are made and I love making cool things.
Speaker 1: One last break and be back with Rego Nasty.
Speaker 2: So how do you know that the venues are getting bigger?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How big? When you go out on tour for Lethal, how big will the venues be?
Speaker 3: Ah bigger bigger than the last time?
Speaker 5: And it's not to say that I'm doing fucking arenas or anything, but it is.
Speaker 3: It's a different space.
Speaker 2: It must be so cool just to see the crowds grow and change, like from your first like your first or your second round of shows. How has the audience changed?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, well I was doing like Sweet sixteens and stuff, so oh were you really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did like a lot of Sweet sixteens and I did high school. Like what was I doing?
Speaker 5: Like pep rallies and shit? Like I'm like, I don't even have a microphone.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, how did you know what to do on stage?
Speaker 3: You know, it's kind of like the.
Speaker 5: Same thing that happens on set for a music video where kind of just is like a like a blur, like I really don't know what I'm doing when I'm doing it, I just know, like I just know that when it's done, I'll know when it's good. But like when I'm doing it, I kind of feel like you just have to get into character a little bit, and that sometimes requires like zoning out.
Speaker 3: So I feel like, yeah, in a sense, I like.
Speaker 5: When I'm on stage, are about to go on stage, it's like I get super quiet.
Speaker 3: And then it's kind of like, Okay, it's good time.
Speaker 5: And I think when I'm getting quiet, I'm kind of just like praying for courage because I think that's all that is just courage to like ignore perception for an hour, because that's that's like scary, like getting up there and people are perceiving you and they can think whatever they want to think. That can be scary that I think that's what causes people that have stage fright. But I think like once I pray to like remove that and kind of like blind me from perception for just an hour.
Speaker 3: I don't need it all day. I'm sure people are going to give their comments, but just for an hour. You just get up there and it's just like a playground, like the world is your oyster.
Speaker 5: Like you're fading off of them, they're fading off of you, and before you know it, it's three songs left and fly back home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so is it perception? So sort of like judgment, Like you don't want to feel judgment from the crowd. Is that what you mean by perception?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like judgment or just like I wouldn't say judgment because they're damn sure not there.
Speaker 3: They're not judging me. It's like this feeling of like who they think I am.
Speaker 5: You know, the screaming, the chanting, the like the hype that I can hear backstage before I go on stage. I feel like and that that's like perception in a way because they think.
Speaker 3: That I'm.
Speaker 5: Whatever the hell they think, and I'm literally just a girl. Okay, I'm literally just gonna tell me her before I come on stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah girl.
Speaker 5: So I think that perception of like, oh, they think you're they think you're amazing. You better show them why you're faing, you know. So it's it's just that like wanting to live live up to that and getting up there and and not necessarily caring if you live up to that. And it's just been like, well, this is me and you're watching me, and I hope you have a good time.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 5: Like I don't really try to fit into like, oh, well, they think that I'm going to be like this, so let me come out there and be like this, Like it's not. I just am like they probably think I'm going to be like this, but this is who I am. I'm gonna be who I am. I'm gonna make jokes, I'm going to take breaks in between the song. I'm going to drink my water.
Speaker 3: I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: So when you go to start a new project, do you how do you deal with that perception and do you feel like that has influenced the way that you shape a new project.
Speaker 5: I feel like worrying about perception and what people know me as can it can pigeonhole you. They've been saying that, I like that word, and I kind of my felt like making work and comparing it to my last then well should I keep doing this because this is what they this is what they know and love and kind of like finding finding yourself and finding your voice through all that. So yeah, yeah, I think it's like a double edged sword, Like, yes, I want to care. I want to appeal to the fans that already have, the fans that I've built.
Speaker 3: I love y'all.
Speaker 5: I want to make an album for you guys, But what about all the stuff that I've learned learned and what about the stuff that I like now?
Speaker 3: Like why can't I share that? And that's where your voice comes in, because it's like you can.
Speaker 5: There is nothing wrong with waking up and wanting to try something different, And me, of all people, I feel like I'm very blessed to have the fans that I have because they've never like they've never nonchalanted my different shit, Like when I was doing hyper Pop, they liked it.
Speaker 3: When I was doing Sugar Trap, they liked it. And I feel like they've grown with me.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I kind of was in that headspace for a little bit of like, oh well, I don't know if I can be different like this because that's what they know me for. But then I had to look at how they supported me before, and I'm like, this is nothing.
Speaker 3: They'll love it.
Speaker 2: This is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good to have that, to have that confidence to move forward how you want to move This is something I was curious about after watching a couple of documentaries about you. Most of them were like early on in your career, some like the Fader doc with you on the Road. It's such a different lifestyle most people are used to living. Was there anything in your early life or anything that prepared you for that lifestyle change?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my parents divorce, Maybe like having to stay at somebody's house every weekend. Maybe like having like, you know, my suitcase, my designated days.
Speaker 3: Maybe that help. I don't know. Boarding school I went.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, when did you go to board What age were you when you went to boarding school.
Speaker 5: I went to boarding school from the sixth grade to the ninth grade. So I don't know how old I was, in the sixth grade, probably twelve.
Speaker 2: How did that come about? Like white boarding school?
Speaker 5: My mom had seen my grades like significantly drop, but I was very smart, and everybody knew that I was smart.
Speaker 3: They just knew I wasn't trying because I just wasn't trying.
Speaker 5: And then my mom had got like a paper in the mail for like a school named the Seed School, and a and like all this stuff. My mom filled it out. We went to orientation, we went to the lottery. They picked my number. It was forty girls, forty boys. It's like one of those new school startups. So it's not like an established like I don't want people to get it confused. Like my mom paid for me to go to boarding school. This was a free college prep boarding school.
Speaker 2: It was wow, like uniforms and everything everything.
Speaker 3: My mom didn't pay a dime. We did not have money to do shit like that.
Speaker 5: So I remember it being just like everybody in my family was like, bro, this is a crazy opportunity.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it got in.
Speaker 5: So this was like the first part of my life where I said yes to something when I didn't really want to. But I saw how it made everybody else react, so I was like I gotta do it. During this time too, I was very artistic, like I.
Speaker 3: Love drawing, I love painting, I love doodling and shit like that.
Speaker 5: But I also was like playing soccer real good. So like my mom was like, are you gonna start to school and You're gonna play soccer?
Speaker 3: In soccer?
Speaker 5: And I'm hating it, Like the hours, Like I was at school all day, get out, have lunch or snack or whatever, study hall, and then you go to like soccer practice, and then you go back to the dorms, you have dinner. It's like very it's like so grown up, very grown up. And I was doing that from six to ninth grade. So if anybody wants to know how my time management is great and how I have like the ability to just like just get shit done, I think it was that. I think it was that like traveling on that campus at that young and then I got expelled from that school because I.
Speaker 3: Didn't want to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so on purpose, did you like make it happen, like formulate a plan?
Speaker 3: Ah, this is so crazy to say.
Speaker 5: I didn't like formulate a plan, but I did do something I actually went as far as going to the principal and telling him, I'm like or her. I don't remember who it was at the time, because it was like a vice principal of real principal, like a whole little board. And I remember telling them that I wanted to go study a public school so that I could see the real difference between the two. Oh, and they said, yeah, so they sent me to my zone school, Flowers this is my nextor they sent me to my zone school.
Speaker 3: And I get there and.
Speaker 5: Man, like they had drama, they had soccer, they had lacrosse, they had volleyball, they had upper classmen.
Speaker 3: They had a cafeteria, they.
Speaker 5: Had they got to go home, they had phones, they got to wear cool shoes, they got to have they I could not go back to that boarding school, like it almost had felt like I had seen too much.
Speaker 3: And I was like there's no way, no, Like I can't go here. I don't want to go here no more. So my mom was like, hell, no, You're going back to school.
Speaker 5: And while this is crazy, while obviously studying the school and all of that thing, like comparing the two, I found out like, oh this is these are things that would get you expelled and what it happened was I I was like obsessed with like was Khalifa and whatnot.
Speaker 3: So we were at the bus. My friends said they had weed. I smoked weed with them.
Speaker 5: We get back to school. The bus aide told we all had the right statements. I kept my mouth shut. This one girl, she rad it on everybody. Everybody was quiet. She's the only person that told on everybody. We all got expelled and I had to go to public school. But that wanted to be the best thing ever because I remember I got expelled and then I started going to school and they said you got to Instagram and I was like no, and I made my Instagram and it was riko nasty.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: How funny is that?
Speaker 2: What year is that?
Speaker 3: That is two thousand and eleven, twenty eleven, twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then the mixtape was like two years later.
Speaker 3: Your first shape was yeah, two thousand and thirteen.
Speaker 2: Do you think you would have been able to do a mixtape at the prep school?
Speaker 5: No, there wasn't any Like it was an up and coming school, so there really wasn't any programs. Like when I was there from sixth to eighth grade, I had an art teacher. Her name was Miss Labonte, and I was like making art and we were selling it at the end of the year and like art shows and like she was my dog and my ninth grade year, Miss Labonte didn't come back, so like, I fucking I just didn't have a teacher that like I felt like like cared about me or like had like a safe space like at lunch, I could just go in there and I could just hang out with her, listen to music and shit. Like I didn't have nobody like that, and I didn't really have that many friends because I was weird.
Speaker 3: So once she left, it was kind.
Speaker 2: Of just like.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the act just goes to show how important teachers are because she was, I mean both art teachers at that school and the school I ended up with Charles Erbert Flowers, my art teacher, mister Hobbes. I don't think I would have got through high school if it wasn't for mister Hobbs. Like he was a safe space, like yeah, go in there, draw and it like it didn't have to be your period, it didn't have to be yes, Like he knew when people needed to come in there and just like.
Speaker 3: Just chill.
Speaker 2: Yeah we had that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had that at my school with a photo teacher, Miss Fanel, And there would always be kids like kids that kind of like didn't fit in would go just hang out in her classroom.
Speaker 3: Yes, Like I just would be in there.
Speaker 5: And if I didn't have a space like that, like I feel like I would have gotten in so much trouble and just been like skipping and I probably would have graduated.
Speaker 2: Like not have an outlet. Yeah, so did your mom? So after you got kicked out of the school and you started doing.
Speaker 4: Music, did your mom think like, oh, like, was your mom worried about how you were gonna turn out?
Speaker 3: I hit it from my mom.
Speaker 5: The only reason my mom knew that I made a mixtape is because I got in trouble at.
Speaker 3: I as bad as shit. I got in trouble at school for not going to school for two no.
Speaker 5: I got a phone call home from a teacher because I skipped her class in particular for like two weeks straight.
Speaker 3: I just didn't go.
Speaker 5: Because her class was after lunch, and I would leave at lunch to go make a song, and then I would come back from my fourth period and then I would go home. So, no, girl, I'm not about to go to your class, like you teaching me how to type on a keyboard. Why do I have to go to your class.
Speaker 3: I'm all to type on this keyboard faster than you. Yeah, grew up on this keyboard. I know sit like the back of my hand. Why do I have to be in there? So yeah. She called my mom and my mom was like, what in your what have you been doing? I told her. I was like, yep, I was making a mixtape and what she doing? You didn't give a damn by no mixtape. She punished me. She was like, you're on punishment. I'm like in the middle of my rollout but naked rollout. Oh no I am. She didn't take my phone, but I was on punishment.
Speaker 5: I couldn't do anything, but like I was on Twitter promoting and shooed out that project.
Speaker 4: How did your Instagram? Like, when was the first time that you're in you saw your like followers jump?
Speaker 3: Oh that's so, that's such a good question. It was like gradual.
Speaker 4: I don't know, No, I remember you didn't have like a one day you woke up like where you maybe released something and then you had like I.
Speaker 5: Was watching it the whole time, just move a little by little, yeah, like but it was like when my first two songs drop, Hay Arnold and I Carly and then fucking Lil Yati had hopped on Hey Arnold, and I remember just like I mean, even with my cloud, I remember just sitting by the computer refreshing it and watching it go up by the thousands. Yeah, I remember watching my followers go up by the k's like it'd be like, yeah, one point two point three point five. I was watching it go up and go up, and now I'm not gonna lie. My followers have been going down for like five years, Like I mean, it was just so many followers. But I kind of just be like, I don't know, like I just I don't pay attention to that shit anymore as much as I used to. I used to be like like I didn't like my team had to tell me that teeth Sucker was almost at a million views.
Speaker 2: I was like, what, that's so crazy, Like.
Speaker 5: But I think there's freedom in that because it can be kind of scary as an artist looking at like numbers, it can make you like not want.
Speaker 3: To do stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, so okay, so you said that your mom is always telling you that you need to get like a side job or whatever, which you know that's debatable, But what would you do, like if you had to do something more straight, what would it be.
Speaker 5: I would probably like go to school old to like understand how to produce like leather goods.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know that's pretty random.
Speaker 2: But produce leather goods.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like leather boots and jackets. Leather jackets.
Speaker 2: Wow, so like actually craft them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really love leather boots. And if anybody like it is familiar with like my boot game, Like I love boots. And something that I see myself doing when I get older is actually like taking the time and and and just you know, developing a boot.
Speaker 2: That is not what I thought you were gonna say. I thought you're gonna say produce music.
Speaker 5: Now. No, when I get older, I want to do something that's like lucrative, very lucrative, very like oh shit, she does that, Like I don't want to be I don't want to be fucking torquing on stage.
Speaker 2: What's the cutoff? What age is it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: You have three years?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, the cutoff, bro, there is no head off.
Speaker 5: Because watching aircaba doun. Yeah, watching Bro, watching a lot of the women in music, like they make their careers last as long as they want them to, and so I don't really think there is a limit on anything.
Speaker 3: I just know, like Bro, I just don't.
Speaker 5: I can't see myself torn at forty, Like I feel like I'm gonna be so picky.
Speaker 2: But what if it was private jet, like it was made very easy for you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I kid and I can do it. Maybe it's twenty more years.
Speaker 2: Because I feel like the older you get, like you know, you have to make certain changes, Like.
Speaker 5: I don't know though, because when those look girl, when you start taking a private jet, that means you're probably doing two shows in a day.
Speaker 6: So it's like there's reward, right, It's not free, it's not free, no going in So yeah, I know, but my computer is about to die.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you so much for doing this. I appreciate you so much. Thank you for talking.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: An episode description, you'll find a link to a playlist of our favorite Rico Nasty tracks. You can see the video version of this interview and others on YouTube at YouTube dot com slash Broken Record Podcast, and be sure to follow us on Instagram at the Broken Record Pod. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose, with marketing help from Eric Sandler and Jordan McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Tollinay. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and acture listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple Podcasts subscriptions, and if you like this show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app. Our theme music's by Kenny Beats. I'm justin Richmond.