Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And Welcome back to Coast to Coast George Nori with Lauren Coleman. Lauren, what did you think of the nineteen sixty seven Patterson Gimblin film on that Bigfoot?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's one of the best pieces of evidence that we have in cryptosoology. Here you have an incident where the horses reacted, the humans reacted. They were able to be searching in the area that indigenous people had reported bigfoot there for hundreds of years. They had many tales, and then they were able to actually take a film, come back the next day and take ten very good footprints that weren't all the same. And those are the best kind of footprints, things that actually show that the foot is alive and moves around. And you know, it's definitely I've written several books. I actually was thinking about your show, and this is my fortieth appearance on your show, and which wow. Great to dive into the archives for anybody that wants to hear some of the old shows. I've talked about Bigfoot before. I've talked about lots of things, but Bigfoot because it's so interesting to so many people. There's different models at the museum, and I've you know, like I was talking about the Field Guide the Bigfoot, a whole Bigfoot book that I talk about the history of the creatures, and I appear in other books, you know, writing forwards. I just wrote a new forward that's coming out next year that I really look into the whole history of the word cryptozoology, when it developed and when it really shows up, something that people take for granted every time they say the word cryptozoology, but believe it or not, we're finding new histories in the words and in the when the words appeared first. A lot of people thought it was only in the sixties. It's been tracked back to the forties. Now people were using that word. So, you know, all of this is important, especially for a museum guy now, who I never would have thought I was going be a director of a museum, but I very much looked into the whole notion that if I'm going to have a legacy, I might as well be in charge of founding a museum and getting all of them evidence together. Because what I started to see is I tended to be older and older and the young kids would come along and they were throwing away evidence. You know, the people were coming in the field or we're gathering some information, and then they got frustrated and it would be thrown out. So now the museum is filled full of I once said a conference that I was speaking to, I said, at one point in my life I had a choice to become a hoarder or become a museum director, and I decided to become a museum director. And it's worked out pretty good.
Speaker 2: You sound as young as you did forty episodes ago.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I tell that to my wife, that she's dealing with an eighteen year old kid in front of her. I feel like I'm eighteen year old inside. And you know, I really am not slowing down, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Let me throw some creatures your way long. Describe them to us and what's going on with them. Let's start with Mothman.
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 3: Well, Mothman is a creature that's over human sized, covered in feathers, has wings. Of course, the very important movie that Mothman Profcies is based upon John Keel's book that he wrote when he did investigations in West Virginia and looked into this thing, and we've found that there's Native American tales that go back. There's reports of it whenever horse horse drawn carts are being going down some of the mountain roads, and some huge birds go behind these things with people in them, just like they do cars in the sixties. And we're finding that there's lots of stories that have been buried in old colonial times, and so that's pretty important to us. There seems to be a real connection there between some of these old tales and the modern stuff. Unfortunately, the mothman's stories are filled full of mistakes and hoaxes and other things. Everybody likes to jump on the badwagon, and we recently in the last ten years, have had reports supposedly from the Chicago area, but a lot of those, believe it or not, are balloons and drones and some mistakes that we always see in the different fields. The classic mothmen are in Appalachia.
Speaker 2: How about dog Man dog Man.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of people are very interested in dogmen. Of course, here again it seems like people have forgotten that in Transylvania, reports of weir wolves have been circulating for hundreds of years, and people have to put a new set of clothes on it and call it dog man. Dog Man doesn't seem to be I often have thought that many people are seeing Bigfoot leaning down eating roadkill, and people are calling these dog men. So there's little less evidence there than there is for Bigfoot. But it seems to be that people need to look into it, and I support individuals, whether they call themselves crypto zoologists or focaloist or biologists, go ahead and try to pursue it, and let's get some evidence.
Speaker 2: The great oldop of cabraop.
Speaker 3: Cabras are extremely important in the Southwest United States. They're a dog like creature. There seems to be two major kinds of troopercabras. The ones from Hispanic Latin Marriamerica that are on all fours and they seem to be a lot of dogs with mange seem to be these troop of cabras. And then we have this whole troop of cabres that are being seen that have spiky hair and are on two feet two legs, and they seem to be a different kind of troopicabras. And so it's intriguing to see the modern troop of cabras with are seen often and people think that they're the ones that are in comic books or something, and those are really much different than the four legged canidsdect ape. There are different kinds of apes all over the world. What kind with that again, oh, orangpindeck orangpindeck. That's probably of all of the cryptids we've talking about tonight, the one that will be found next, I think will be the rangpindeck. The rangpindeck are a little reddish.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Childlike almost, and they're seen in Indonesia quite a bit. What well we know from anthropology already The most recent new species that we need to look at as having some connection to the rangpindeck are homophorensis, which is a ape like creature that's very small and very short, and we find that they were around here. It's actually the truth of l the truth of leprechauns did actually exist, and for a long time people just figured that was all part of folklore. And to find that we actually have skeletal remane skulls and that they were part of what was going on in human history and human prehistory is just totally remarkable to think that when I was growing up, we could have never imagined that there were really something like an Iran pindeck or a homopherensis, that there's actually a species of men that were short men, there were little men, there were little women, and that we have to really now make room in our cosmology for creatures that look like us but were littleer.
Speaker 2: How about the worm.
Speaker 3: The Tazi worm is in the Alps of the in Europe. They're shepherds and people hurting. Some animals going up into the upper Alps would see these creatures that are if you're can imagine a.
Speaker 2: Real creatures worn, yes.
Speaker 3: They are real creatures. Everything that I've been talking about it may go into folklore because Bernard Hardiman's once said that any new creature that's found is fantastic, is made into some kind of folkloric creature for humans to be able to take it into their mind and take it into their constructs. But Tazin worms, which are six feet long and covered with the skin that looks like the heel monster, have and seen. They're very real. It's not something that people just put in fantasy kids books. There's a you know, reports from the thirties, the twenties and they people didn't know exactly what they are, and we still don't know them, but they're still being seen in these remarkably remote places around the world.
Speaker 2: Fascinating. What is the thylos scene wolf, well.
Speaker 3: The thilacene and this is another category of members of the cryptozoology family. Cryptids, of course, are any of these you know, like sea serpents, lockedness, monster, Bigfoot and so there's tales, there's books written about them. But then you get into these animals that we already know do exist, We have them in zoology, and one of them is the silosine. Others are like the ivory build becker. These are creatures that have been classified, they're part of zoology that they've gone extinct. So what is happening now are cryptozoologists and zoologists are on the hunt for these creatures, for these animals, but they they're not viable now they're seen as an extinct animal, extinct creature that they're they're not have not been captured yet. So the Thila scene, which is a marsupio found in Tasmania and probably Indonesia to be rediscovered in Indonesia have not. We haven't found any recent ones since the forties that are alive. There's just been sightings, four hundred sightings a year, but still just sighting.
Speaker 2: You have models of these beans in the museum.
Speaker 3: Yes, Thio Sing. We have a full sized ronze model looks like a you know, it looks kind of like a wolf from the way people look at it, but it actually is marsupial. And we have other large models. We have full size models of the Bigfoot, one of the newer ones that someone who is a model maker in Hollywood donated to a giant salamander six foot long salamander that's been reported in California. And we even sponsored an expedition a couple of years ago in northern California. The museum sponsored an expedition because that's what we do. We don't get much publicity for that, but it's more it's more important for us to casually and formally sponsor some of these expeditions because we're always hoping that by pushing out a lot of people wonder why we're in Maine. We're in Maine because I'm here, but also there's a population of individuals that support the Cryptozoology Museum all over the world, and we just happen to have the museum here because it's easier for us to gather all of these pieces of evidence and keep them safe here, and then people and people come to the museum, you know, from Nepal, Japan, California, all those exotic places.
Speaker 2: What is the what is the koi wolf?
Speaker 3: The koi wolf? There are many reports now coyotes have been reported all over the United States and encroaching into urban areas.
Speaker 1: But this.
Speaker 3: Fascinating sort of subspecies or hybrid breed is wolves and coyotes that are breeding together, and they're actually producing a rather robust canid that's a little bit larger and sometimes has a coat that is more a little bit darker and has a different coloration. But they also coyotes tend to go in packs, and these koi whos go separately and are seen separately. But we actually have some good evidence of those hair samples and DNA, so we're certain we're still tracking what's going on with the koi wools. The bird, Dodo bird is more on the edges of it's one of those extinct species. We know that it disappeared in the sixteen hundreds, but for one hundred years or so after they went extinct, and dodo birds are like giant penguins I mean pigeons. I mean they're related to doves and pigeons, and they are like a stocky little pigeon that's about three feet tall. And they were seen on some of the islands off of Africa, like I said, over one hundred years after they went extinct, and there is a possibility that there's still may be out there. A lot of people feel that every inch of the Earth has been explored, but actually there are still some remote and quite undiscovered areas. A lot of people think about darkest Africa, but some of the newest mammals and newest lizards are being found in Ononesia and some of Oceania, some of the small islands west of Hawaii.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast a m every weeknight at one a m Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more