Speaker 1: From the dark corners of the web, an emerging mindset.
Speaker 2: I'm a loser if also we know what to day me either a.
Speaker 3: Hidden world of resentment, cynicism, anger against women at a deadly tipping point. In Cells will be added to the terrorism Guide.
Speaker 2: I see literally zero hope.
Speaker 1: This is in Cells, a production of KT's Studios and iHeartRadio, Season one, episode seven, the seven six' Four.
Speaker 3: Network, certainly when you live stream your, attack you're making yourself easier to, catch so they care more about getting the message out there than they do about getting a.
Speaker 1: Wave the judge Describe bennington's messages to his victims as, repeated cruel and.
Speaker 2: Sadistic i'll read you one more.
Speaker 3: Quote women have a fantasy of being, stocked, raped held, hostage and.
Speaker 2: Murdered they wish they were.
Speaker 1: Victims I'm Courtney, armstrong a producer AT Kati studios With Stephanie, Leidecker Gabriel, Castillo Connor, powell And Carolyn. Miller trigger. Warning we're going to hear about a nihilist group called seven six.' FOUR the fbi classifies this group as a high, level threat and there are graphic descriptors of. Child exploitation this episode takes a deep dive INSIDE The Us. Attorney's Office david ryan speaks with unique authority as someone who's been in the trenches working with victims. ON cases a former chief Of The National security division At The United States attorney's Office In, Los angeles david offers an inside look at how these crimes are investigated and prosecuted.
Speaker 3: At The United States attorney's office Here In. Los angeles we Have A National, security DIVISION and i was the chief Of That National, security division and we've invested in prosecute cases that involve domestic. International terrorism we all so investing and prosecute, cyber intrusions, cyber hacking.
Speaker 1: Cyber stocking you mentioned an increase in online threats and in cyber stocking in the past ten years. Or so what did that look like in your world of, your job and then are there any sort of theories on.
Speaker 3: The, increase yes starting in around, twenty fifteen over the past, ten years there has been an increase in. These cases there are a couple of different aspects. To that one is the increase in threats involving, anti government, anti authority. Violent extremism we saw the rise of threats and stalking and swatting schemes committed by people engaged in, other ideologies whether that's what are these gender based violent ideologies like in sell or. Other, IDEOLOGIES so i think as more and more of the world moved online and into, social media we saw that coincide with just arise in that sort of criminal.
Speaker 1: Threatening activity do you think globally people are becoming more prone to being radicalized because they're hearing so much more of the.
Speaker 4: Same content we have had several cases where individuals were, radicalized online whether on forums like discord or gab Or, four chan where they were exposed to increasingly extremist ideas.
Speaker 3: And ideologies maybe it starts as exploring what they would call it edgy or extreme or gore content that's more in a fantasy context or a, joking context and then over time it moves more and more towards reality.
Speaker 1: For them how do you determine the Difference between i'm a fourteen year old joking with my Buds and i'm? A threat how does that even?
Speaker 3: Be determined certainly there is a Line Between first amendment protected activity and. Criminal activity law enforcement gets involved when somebody crosses that line and starts directly threatening or harassing or stocking or. Victimizing somebody now there's a separate set of facts where a person may be discussing a crime that they seek to commit in. The future we IN the fbi would would aggressively start to look into that to determine whether they've crossed the line from thinking about committing an attack to actually attempting to. Do so in, the law a person can be prosecuted for attempting to carry out an attack like that if they take some substantial step Towards committing so a challenge in this, area is, you know if someone engages in discussion of what they would like to do and fantasizes online about committing a shooting at, a school, for example you know that alone is not a. Criminal, act well when they start taking steps to carry, it out that's law enforcement can. Step them?
Speaker 1: Got it that seems like it's a scary.
Speaker 3: Small window the one thing THAT the fbi has been. Public about one thing that we have seen is that the window of time between what we would call the radicalization to the mobilization has been shrinking over the last. Several years so the time between when someone becomes radicalized and starts expressing that they want to carry. Out violence between that point and when they actually mobilize to carry out, the violence that period of time has. Been shrinked so we used to see if you look at, successful attackers the time between when they started talking about when they did it would be maybe a period. Of months now you're seeing that time shrink to less, than that maybe weeks, or days which again just lessens the time for law enforcement for members of the community see that activity and put law enforcement and position.
Speaker 2: TO stop.
Speaker 1: I asked david why he thought, that trolling deliberately posting provocative messages with the goal of upsetting someone is so prevalent in general within in. Cell groups if.
Speaker 3: You go to the more extreme version of, the ideology the ideology does hold that through the development, of feminism women have gained too much agency and power or in the so called, sexual marketplace and the right quote unquote way would instead be that men should control that MARKETS and i think a lot of, the again the social currency that you can gain within that community is from speaking that. Into existence this is how we would talk if we ran, The world we should run. The World.
Speaker 1: The Center For Countering digital hate reported that post mentioning rape were ON major insul forums every twenty, nine minutes and that eighty nine percent of posts in relevant discussion boards supported sexual violence. AGAINST women, I asked david has thoughts.
Speaker 3: The more extreme version of the ideology would sanction seek to legalize rape? Sexual assault the more extreme version of the ideology valorizes prior members who have committed mass shootings of women or at sororities or at, Mail salons so, you know in, that context it's not so that within that community they would valorize for, joke about, or discuss, you know in a, positive way, committing violence, sexual violence or otherwise. Against Her.
Speaker 1: David ryan breaks down one disturbing CASE and insul in his Thirties Named, carl bennington who targeted and cyberstocked multiple teenage girls he. Met online he threatened violence and even death if they refused his demands. For sex david explains. The, case.
Speaker 3: So mister bennington had been messaging several teenage girls repeatedly and aggressively for, several years and then certain of those victims reached out to, law enforcement and we began investigating him out of our office for at least. Four years what we learned was That mister bennington had become increasingly consumed by in cell ideology and he began to act out that ideology towards these. Individual victims the evidence that we obtained was that he had gone from seeking relationships with, these children, you know teenage girls two when they, rejected him demanding that they have a sexual relationship, with him and then when they rejected, him again ultimately turning to threatening graphically to commit acts of violence and sexual assault against them and.
Speaker 2: THEIR families.
Speaker 1: I Asked, how bennington in his thirties at, the time first encountered these.
Speaker 3: Underage girls this is not a group like there are some others where they primarily congregate in invite only chat groups where victims are. Lured to in cells often reach their victims as, he did just by reaching out on traditional social, media platforms and initially they reach out in potentially a friendly way because they're interested in trying to develop, a relationship and when things turn south is when the girl or woman declines and then they become. Increasingly aggressive it can become a federal case as well when threats are communicated over, the internet and when stalking is called. Cyber stocking when you stalk someone online through repeated and harassing.
Speaker 2: Internet messaging.
Speaker 1: The indictment contains Specific writing, bennington posted as well as messages he sent directly to the. Underage Girls david ryan read some of the posts so you can understand the level of violence and even death threats these girls. Were facing.
Speaker 3: There are a few messages that really highlight what his, ideology Was and i'll read you those. As well bennington he was what you may call in the in cell community blue or maybe, red pilled which is that he was focused on what he would call alpha. Male ideology he was focused on the notion that women desired men who are dominating and almost a caricature.
Speaker 2: Of what he would quote unquote.
Speaker 3: Alpha male shortly before some of the worst threats in, this case he wrote online quote women's narcissism has been getting out. Of hand they need to be put back in their. Fucking place. Fuck women shortly, after that, he wrote feminists are a man hating group where they want to take away our confidence and turn us into, some insecure.
Speaker 2: Emotional douchebag i'll read you one.
Speaker 3: More quote women have a fantasy of, being, stocked raped, held hostage.
Speaker 2: And murdered they wish they.
Speaker 3: Were victims then he started writing to the victims quote don't fucking.
Speaker 2: Squirm or you'll get.
Speaker 3: SLAPPED around i own, you now and you're gonna DO as i Say because I'm. Fucking god and he sent that along with a picture of a woman with her. Hands tied so hatred of feminism and a belief that the quote alpha male was the ideal to. Strive for this is him flirting in, his worldview and going between flirting and then being angry that it's.
Speaker 2: NOT working.
Speaker 1: I asked how, this illegal offensive and violent language could be misconstrued as flirting. By anyone.
Speaker 3: There's that spectrum where they haven't quote unquote given up on trying to adopt this caricature. Of masculinity they are playing out the view that this is what, should work that this sort of, hyper aggressive persistent pursuit is actually what, should work and there's teaching within the so called manosphere along. THOSE lines i think there's also a view that men are entitled to the woman that. They want in one of his, direct messages, He wrote i'm outside your window. Watching you you better be on. The lookout if you know what's good, for You only god can. Save you slut dog or bark, for me you. Little slut based on the training they've received and based on, their worldview they are entitled, to success and maybe they should be having success in the fact that there instead experiencing rejection will lead.
Speaker 1: To anger outside of these, horrifying messages we Asked if bennington showed any kind of pattern or warning science beyond the, cyberstalking itself anything that suggested he might escalate to. Physical violence.
Speaker 3: First, of all these threats already provoke terror and fear to the victims and, their families and he and others have been and will continue to be properly prosecuted for the damage they're causing through their online cyber stocking. And threats with respect to going from online threats to, physical, violence yes. It's concerning when he demonstrated that he knew where these victims lived and that he had the ability to go to. Their houses when he began talking to them about being outside of their house or being outside of, their bedroom regardless of whether he was, or wasn't that indicates that in, his mind that's where he was going.
Speaker 2: To it and then other things that we in law.
Speaker 3: Enforcement would look at are things like an individual's access, to weapons ability, to travel, criminal history prior acts, of violence and. Other indicators, and, then finally depending on the level of insight we have into, an individual often in cells carry out mass, casualty attacks do post or something like, a manifesto either publicly or share. With, friends tragically we often learn about that only shortly before or after they carry out.
Speaker 1: An attack there does seem like there is a proliferation of people posting manifestos or publicly sharing. This information any thoughts on why people are publicly SAYING now i am planning on doing THIS or i just.
Speaker 3: Did, THIS yeah, i mean that's been something that's been consistent for a long time in iologically, motived violence and these individuals are clear that they are committing an attack with the goal of both putting their view out there to inspire others who are like minded to follow their lead and trying to expose the broader community to their worldview which they would like other people, to understand if. Not adopt and in the insul context as well, as others may have been somewhat successful at that where every successive attacker cites a prior attacker as a part of, their inspiration which raises an interesting CHALLENGE for i think, the community for, more broadly of how to cover and talk about, these attacks because the communities of people who are like minded certainly valorized and draw inspiration from the amount of attention that.
Speaker 1: They receive it seems like bad guys used to want to hide their crimes versus live stream them or leave evidence publicly all over.
Speaker 3: Social, media certainly when you live stream, your attack you're making yourself. To catch so, THE inference i think is fair that they care more about getting the message out there than they do about getting. A laved so certainly the public messaging in the attempt to create a certain media narrative is central to. Their motivation but in a case where we are looking into someone before they've committed a, physical attack if we see anything indicating their hope or desire to become a martyr or what they would say an insult to go er meaning to follow in the Footsteps Of, elliott roger, you know that would be a reference to committing, an attack and that would heighten.
Speaker 2: The concern.
Speaker 1: Let's stop here for. A break we'll be back in. A Moment david ryan explained that In the, bennington case investigators learned he had access to weapons, And transportation he owned, a car had, some money and knew where his. Victims lived david continues.
Speaker 3: He did not have all of, the indicators so he did not seem To Idolize. Elliott roger at one point, he wrote Actually that roger was weak for having turned to violence rather than bettering himself and following the quote unquote alpha rules that he was trying, to follow and that again is consistent with the sort of the divide or the range within the in cell community of someone who's not yet blackpilled, would say you don't need to resort to mass violence or the destruction. Of society you can follow these rules or follow these systems to better quote. Unquote yourself and those are twisted rules and twisted systems like what he.
Speaker 2: Was showing.
Speaker 1: The Judge describe bennington's messages to his victims, as repeated cruel. And, sadistic ultimately the case never went. To trial bennington pleaded guilty to two counts. Of Cyberstalking david ryan explained that one of the primary purposes of sentencing is to protect the public from future crimes by. The defendant in, This case bennington served eighteen months. In prison his sentence also included three years of residential mental, health treatment a no contact order with, his victims as well as search conditions allowing law enforcement to monitor his home. And devices david explains what role he believed social media companies should play in assisting. Law enforcement.
Speaker 3: It is a federal crime to write, threatening messages to send threats to individuals on social. Media platforms it's a federal crime, to, stalk harass or intimidate. Someone online so these messages that he was sending were, criminal acts just as sending illicit child pornography or other contraband through these social media platforms would be a crime that would be prohibited on. These sites so it gets perfectly appropriate that these sites have policies and algorithms in place to ensure that people are not using them to commit. Federal crimes in, this case a challenge is his accounts were deleted and he made, new ones but that's certainly better than no action. Being taken it is very difficult and can, be traumatizing and it's something for parents to be aware of.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 1: David updated us on the victims in this case and on the impact of their courage and coming forward.
Speaker 3: It was a very positive thing for the victims in this case to have the prosecution go forward and to have this defendant not only in capacitated for a couple, of years but then receive a significant amount of mentame health treatment so that they can move on with. Their Lives and i'm sure it was scary for them to come forward, because people first, of all maybe don't want to come forward and involve themselves with, law enforcement or maybe worry that they will further provoke this person who is unstable and acting violently. Toward them they also likely saved countless other girls and women from having to experience similar or worse harm from, This defendant AND so i think it's it's not just a brave thing, they did but a heroic thing that they did to come forward and get this.
Speaker 1: Case done is there anything that you would say to a parent if your child or yourself are, being victimized or if you think someone in, your life, your son, your nephew is going down.
Speaker 5: This, PATH well i think if someone's experiencing this activity targeted at them or their friend or, FAMILY member i think one lesson is to understand that it.
Speaker 2: May not just go away on.
Speaker 3: Its own and that it can escalate they. Feel rejection and so if someone does receive sort of messages that starts to cross the line and suggests that either threatening or obsessive infatuation that makes them feel uncomfortable, or nervous that they should reach out to the local police department or they can reach out TO. The fbi but if they feel that they're in any sort, of danger the first step is always to reach out to the local. Police department federal criminal prosecutions are made every day based on law enforcement and prosecutors identifying who's behind. The keyboard so people who think they can hide behind the keyboard and commit crimes and victimize, people online that's not. The case and so for those who are experience that, as victims. Rest assured if you do reach out to, law enforcement we may be able to come in. And help and as, a prosecutor our primary goal is to disrupt criminal activity before new victims, are created and we can't always, do that but when we are, able too it is often because someone in the life of, that person either the offender or, a victim came forward to law enforcement, And, said hey something is not right HERE and i just can't encourage, the public and parents and friends of children who are experiencing this sort of conduct can enchuras them strongly enough to make that outreach if something doesn't seem.
Speaker 2: Quite right.
Speaker 1: In Speaking With, david ryan the conversation turned to something none of us had heard, of before the seven six. Four group The FBI's Child Exploitation Operational Unit Chief abigail boccaccio, has said people are not understanding the severity the speed at which their children can. Become victimized these are offenders that have the ability to change your child's life in a matter. Of minutes we've said, this before but want to be. Absolutely clear we are not suggesting that all in cells, are violent nor are the in cell community with groups like seven six. Y four they are distinct. And, different however when we heard about, this newer highly dangerous, online network it became a matter of. Public concern sharing this information isn't, about fear it's about awareness. And Prevention david, ryan explains.
Speaker 3: Seven sixty four is a more recent, threat stream and certain of the CASES that i have been involved in our ongoing in the sense that the defendants have not been sentenced over the last, several years we've seen an increase in criminal activity from what we call the seven six. Four group that criminal activity has primarily involved what we, put exploitation meaning the sexual exploitation of. Children online the most common way that has played out is members of this group condregating, online forums Typically on discord or, other platforms where they can maintain control over a check group where they can invite users, exclude users and then within the group they can have live, video chats they can stream or send, video recordings and within, those groups the individuals participating in the seven six four network have essentially helped train each other on how to groom children to provide them with videos and photographs of themselves engaging in. Sexual activities once they have those videos, or photographs the playbook is that the seven six four members will then use those videos and photographs to blackmail the children to provide more by threatening them with exposing the photos and videos that they've. Already gotten.
Speaker 1: The network was founded in twenty twenty One By Bradley, chance cadenhead a Teenager, From. Stephanville texas the name seven six y four come from the first three digits of his. Zip code caden had extorted miners forcing his victims to produce, pornographic material engage in animal cruelty and. Self harm his motivations appear to include a desire for status, and power referring to himself as being a. God Online on, may sixteenth twenty, twenty three he was sentenced to eighty years. In prison after, Reviewing evidence the judge presiding over the Case addressed cadenhead saying there is something horribly wrong. With You Horribly david. RYAN continues.
Speaker 3: A unique piece for this group is they appear to be motivated not only by, sexual gratification but also by what we call a nihilistic, extremist ideology where in their view and, their discussions they talk about wanting to corrupt the youth of society to contribute to the decay and downfall of sit and so they not only demand and threaten their victims to provide, sexual content they also demand other, essentially degrading harmful and, violent acts such as they demand that their victims provide videos of cutting the perpetrators' names into their bodies, with knives videos of themselves assaulting animals. Or vomiting they will often engage in essentially a sick and twisted competitive game to see who can get their victims to engage in the most painful and vile acts of.
Speaker 2: Self harm they will have their victims.
Speaker 3: Feel compelled to keep providing content because of. The blackmail.
Speaker 1: Let's stop here for. Another break they'll be back in. A MOMENT the fbi is currently investigating hundreds of cases related to seven sixty four in. Its Offshoots all field offices are involved in, some capacity and numerous members and network leaders have been arrested. And CONVICTED the fbi and law enforcement agencies have issued public service announcements to raise awareness of the network and urge parents to. Be vigilant.
Speaker 3: It is a common feature that the grooming will start with what appears to be a normal. Online relationship so the seven six full member will love bond a, victim meeting just overwhelm them, with sweet complementary support, and conversation offer to send, them money buy, them phones by them digital currency to use in online, video games and just be a. Support online develop what appears to be an actual online, romantic relationship and then it will all change once they convince the thing to provide the, sexual concept the seven sixpore members use the sexually explicit content yes to blackmail the victims who, write more but they use it within their community as a form of. Social currency they essentially brag to, Each other Look what i'm able, To get LOOK what. I had if you look at the public criminal cases that have, been filed certainly very strong trend is that this is a community of male perpetrators perpetrating minor female.
Speaker 2: Of it.
Speaker 1: David mentioned that children are often the victim of. Multiple offenders we ask them to, clarify why and the answer. Is horrifying you can see how easily this abuse can grow. And spread it starts with the members sharing the videos or photos as currency.
Speaker 3: That allows other members in, the community who then gain access to those videos and photos to use them to make contact with the victims who may be in the group chat And say i'm just as able to expose you as the initial person to whom you sent these, videos is and so now you're.
Speaker 2: Beholding to me.
Speaker 3: As well seven sixty four has traditionally committed these sort of sexual. Exploitation offenses we have, more, recently however also seen seven six four members engage in, physical violence not through, the computer but physical violence against victims in, the community such as shooting or knife attacks in. Other countries there is a concern that the scope of their criminal activity. Is expanding there is an increased bush to aggressively confront and investigate and prosecute those who are leading this group and actively participating. In it and so you have seen surge in cases federal criminal cases involve against members of, this group and would anticipate that federal law enforcement and local law enforcement focus on.
Speaker 1: The book do you see any overlap crossed over anything IN the venn diagram between in cells and seven.
Speaker 2: Sixty four one.
Speaker 3: Thing that is common between the in cell root and the seven to six four group is that they target and victimize. Children online they do it in different ways and for. Different reasons one thing that's consistent between these groups is they will present to the victim as non, threatening originally and they will in different ways and for, different reasons and at different times change from non threatening to threaten and then potentially. To file but they start as Non threatn and so the challenge, for children which is maybe too hard of a challenge, for children so it comes a challenge for parents in the community is to both educate themselves and their children on, the risks the threats that are, out there but also to have appropriate controls and monitoring and relationsh between parents and children and friends and teachers and children so that they can intervene before the children sent off down the. WRONG path i think children present attractive victims in the insult community for a couple. Of reasons, one, is yes they are potentially, more vulnerable more susceptible to. The tactics two again on the more extreme side of the, insul ideology they want a relationship, of dominance and children are more susceptible to accepting or being made to accept a. Dominant FABLE and i think they find, that children, you do maybe emotional vulnerability or immaturity or lack of context, and experience are more willing to.
Speaker 2: Embrace that at, the.
Speaker 1: Outset predators pray, on vulnerability often kids who might be lonely or just looking for a. Connection online but what starts as attention can very quickly turn, into control manipulation. Or blackmail if you think someone in your life might be, in danger do. Not wait david offers some resources and why it's pivotal that we use them for.
Speaker 3: Our work it is critical to identify the victims who are being used to make. This content this is less common with the in, cell cases but when we see seven sixty, four cases it is absolutely a primary focus to identify, the victims and a primary focus is to identify the real individual who's being groomed or blackmailed to create this content so that we can go make contact with them and their family and try to get them help and resources so that they can get out of.
Speaker 2: That cycle and so from a law, enforcement perspective.
Speaker 3: That's why it's again just so important that, number one parents and friends of those who are being victimized come forward as quickly as possible to. Report it there is a nonprofit organization Called The national Center for Missing And exploited children that receives on a daily basis tips from social media companies and individuals about child exploitation online and works with law enforcement to report those tips so that we can do.
Speaker 2: Further investigation.
Speaker 1: The phone number For The national Center for Missing And exploited children is one Eight hundred Do The. Lost lost it's available twenty four hours, a day seven days. A week the website For The national Center for Missing And exploited Children is missingkids. Dot org it provides, multiple resources including one called Take. It down the purpose of Take it down is to help remove or stop online sharing of underage sexually exploitative images. Or videos there is, no cost you can, remain anonymous and you do not have to send them images. To, anyone.
Speaker 3: Many many cases are made through that, reporting chain and so we strongly, encourage again parents' friends of those who you think may be being victimized in this way to reach out to either, law enforcement local law enforcement who can make contact WITH, the fbi or To The national Center For Missing exploited children so that we can follow up and try to put an end to that victimization before it gets even more out.
Speaker 2: Of control.
Speaker 1: We Asked david ryan for any, final thoughts something he, wanted, parents friends and anyone listening. To remember his answer is not. About fear it's. About action. Reporting matters early warning signs, save lives and the sooner someone, speaks up the faster law enforcement can intervene before a threat turns into. A tragedy.
Speaker 3: From the standpoint of, a prosecutor these cases are both tragic and a significant call to action for the law. Enforcement community although there has already been, a crime when an in cell or a seven to six four member shares content online or threaten. Someone online the important work for law enforcement is to be in a position to identify that conduct quickly and disrupt a defendant or an individual who may be on a pathway to. Physical violence because when you look at the mass shootings That in cells, have committed there were often very significant, warning signs, public statements or private statements that law enforcement wasn't, aware of and so it's a constant race against time for us to try to identify and stop these people before they commit tragic mass shootings or acts of.
Speaker 2: Mass violence.
Speaker 1: For more information on the case and, relevant photos follow Us on instagram At Kt. Underscore Studios in cells is Produced By, stephanie Leidecker gaber castillo And Me. Courtney armstrong additional Producing By connor Powell And, caroline miller Editing By jeff tooi Music By. Vanicore Studios in cells is a Production Of kati's Studios And. iHeart radio for more podcasts, like this Visit the, iHeartRadio App, apple podcasts or wherever you listen to your. Favorite shows