Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin. And it's a big week in Major League Baseball because we have the trade deadline, buyers and sellers, the sprint to the finish. So we're gonna get to all of that, of course, But Dad, I want to look back at what was an incredible induction weekend in Cooper Sound that you got to be at.
Speaker 2: As a member as well.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, it must be cool going back since twenty twenty two when you were inducted. Now every year Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin walking around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not why I go back, Jeff, Why.
Speaker 2: You go back what I'm saying. It's cool, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's very cool, But we're not We're the most You are painfully humble, a right like it. It's frustratingly humble. And I love you and it's such a great quality of yourself. But just tell me right now, it's kind of cool to be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: I'm not a Hall of Famer. I was honored by the Hall of Fame. The players are the Hall of Famers, at least that's the way it's explained to me. Can we please move on here? I want Here's what happened, Jef. This is so this is so typical of the Hall of Fame. And you've been there multiple times. You've been to the Oda Saga Hotel. You know, no matter where you go, there's no telling who you might run into. Okay. So I walked into the Oda Saga for the first time on Friday, you know, big weekend. Friday is a really big day there. And literally three seconds after I walk in Tony cal Ripkin Junior and Ken Griffy Junior, the two greatest juniors, by the way, ever to play in the major leagues. They walk around the corner together and I'm thinking, oh my goodness, these are the first two guys I run into. So Ripken sits down. I just casually ask him, so, how's everything going. What you've been doing lately? And he said, I just got back from an African safari. Okay, and he and his what he and his white went on an African safari and had the greatest time ever. So here's what he said. And I did not understand this. He said, it was so great. We saw the Big five animals within the first twelve hours. Now, do you know what the first the big five animals are on an African safari? You want to take a guess, because I got a couple of them wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let me think it's got to be the lion, one, elephant, two giraffe. Not.
Speaker 3: I was surprised by that. Really, giraffe wouldn't be yeh. Look, I'm not doing the rankings here, Jeff. This isn't the best of all Tim's safari team. Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Rhino rhino, Yes, it brings me shades of ace Ventura right now, I don't I don't know what else it would be.
Speaker 2: Giraffe is not one? An antelope?
Speaker 3: Now think of your your brother in law on Kelly's side. Buffalo, right, buffalo?
Speaker 2: And what's the last one?
Speaker 3: Last one is a leopard? Okay? So Cal Jr. Is driving around in an He showed me the truck in which he's driving around in and it's a jeep and it doesn't have any doors on it. And I said, how close did you come to a lion? And he points to the ground like two feet away and he said that closed. I said, I'm talking to the Iron Man. Who didn't miss a game for sixteen years. And I asked if he was afraid. He goes, no, we were with the guides that they knew what they were doing. Jeff, I'm not going on a safari, okay. I'm not going where there's a lion two feet away from me and I don't have an armored I'm not sitting inside of an armored car. Are you doing that? Dad?
Speaker 2: You're not going.
Speaker 1: You got afraid when you took me to see Lion King in movie theaters.
Speaker 2: Do you think you're Do you think you're gonna be okay?
Speaker 3: Jeff, I'm a chicken. I'm good with dogs. Every other animal not so good. And again, when that snake showed up at our house was it was like an anacon that came to the front door and I ran for the hills. Yes, I'm the biggest chicken in the world, but at least we've established the Big five. So while we're talking about this, Ken Griffy Junior is listening. He takes out his phone and he shows us. He says, I have fourteen hundred pictures from his safari African safari, but not fourteen hundred total, fourteen hundred pictures Jeff of a catch and kill in the wild. I can't. I think a will to beast was involved. And the pictures were stunningly good because Ken Griffy Junior is really good at this. But I couldn't look at those for more than like five seconds before I was just completely grossed out. But it just shows you that Here I walk into baseball Mecca, the ODIs Hotel, two of the greatest players of all time walk around the corner, and all we're talking about is the Safari, which I don't know anything about, and I have no interest in going on because I'm a big chicken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and chickens would not do well in the African safari, right, absolutely, lotim of the food chain, right.
Speaker 3: So, Jeff Again, then wherever you go, you just keep running into people who have an interesting tory to tell. So I saw Mike Schmidt who met you at the Oda Saga and had a twenty minute chat with Mike Schmidt the greatest third Basement of all time on the veranda because you had just moved to Philadelphia. Correct. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I talked to him about country music and country music radio in Philly, and he was it was a highlight for sure.
Speaker 3: Well, well, he told me a story that I said, how's everything going here? And this is Mike Schmidt, who understands how the world works. But he goes, yeah, last night, Carlton Fisk and I, you know, one of the five greatest catchers maybe of all time. He said, we saw each Row, and I whispered to Carlton Fist, Hey, do you think we should go get a picture with him? And you're Mike schmidd, You're the greatest third basement of all time. You're with Carlton Fisk. You don't need permission to go ask each Row if you could have a picture with him. Look, you and I would ask permission, and I would say no because that's a conflict of interest for me. But I just found it odd. Do you find it odd at all that Mike Schmidt was just a little bit hesitant to go up to one of the newest Hall of Famers.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's a game recognizing game dad. They recognize how good he was in his prime and how deserving he is to be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Mind you, I.
Speaker 1: Saw a list of every player that has three hundred hits or more in their career, right, the three thousand hit club, right, And on that list it was here's how many hits all of these players had before they turned twenty six.
Speaker 2: And then at the very bottom is each row with zero zero.
Speaker 3: Right. Yes, Jeff, look, I'm not disputing the greatness of each row. I'm just saying, when you're in the club, you would think you could go up to anyone in the club and just say, can I have a picture with you? So Mike Schmidt goes up to each row, shakes his hand and says or bows to him and says, I'm Mike Schmidt, and each row, with tremendous reverence, goes like this, oh my like that. That that's how Hall of Famers look at each other. And maybe that's exactly the way that Mike Schmidt was looking at each row. You know, ten gold gloves like Mike Schmidt had, you know, ten straight two hundred hit seasons all that. So I just thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: That is an also amazing.
Speaker 3: I was out at the golf course. I'd love to hang out at the golf course at the Oda Saga outside the Oda Saga, the leather Stocking golf course which you played maybe your greatest round ever on Jeff, it was really you played great that day.
Speaker 2: Not surely my best back nine of all time.
Speaker 1: I think I pard six or seven holes on the back nine. I had a really good round.
Speaker 3: Right So, Ozzie Smith was sitting next to Mike Schmidt. How great is that? So I'm sitting at a table with the greatest defensive shortstop of all time and the greatest third basement of all time, and we're just talking about golf. So I said to Ozzie switch hitter, where you you played right handed? He goes, yes, because you know it's a right handed game. So we got to talking about that, and Mike Schmidt then looks at me and I got such a kick out of this, and he goes, well, baseball is a left hand game, And he said, how many advantages do you get being a left handed hitter? He said, it's ridiculous. He goes, there are so many more right handed pitchers, so you have an advantage there. Plus you have like a two step advantage getting to first base left hand left handed hitters haven't made. Mike Schmidt looked at me and he was kid but he wasn't completely kidding when he said this. He said, this is what I would This is how I would change the game. Every other inning. Instead of running to first base when you hit it, you run to third base when you hit it. So in the odd number innings, you run to first. In the eve, in the even numbered innings, you run to third. That way, the right handed hitter has an advantage running to first. And oz Ozzie Smith had the funniest look on his face, and he just looked at me and looked at Schmitty and he goes, this is way too big for me. That's what he said. And I said, Schmitty, this is way too big for me. Also, I just got to kick that. There we are in a golf tournament and the greatest third basement of all time is talking about running to third base instead of the first base. Was right?
Speaker 1: What it looks like in a t ball game when the kid runs to the wrong Major league baseball is going to be.
Speaker 3: I think you did that when you were four, and it was funny. Then I'm not sure sure it would be funny on the major league level. So that those were just a few things, just a few things that I saw in Cooperstown, Jeff, I saw a million other things. But it's just the greatest place in the world. And I don't want to be corny about this. It's just absurdly charming there. And if you haven't been, you have to go. And you don't have to go during Hall of Fame weekend because it's crowded and it's hot. But if you want to just go up there and spend three or four days seeing everything in that town, and go there in March, or go there in September or October, it's absolutely breathtaking.
Speaker 1: Dad, let's jump into the takeaways. I'm assuming some of which are to do with the speeches of famers.
Speaker 3: Yes, i have to go take something out of the oven. I'm not kidding. I'll be right back, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to keep this in, all right, So this is a good time.
Speaker 1: I'm keeping all of this in. Dad is literally going downstairs to put take something out of the oven. I'm going to take this time to thank all of you for listening and say, if you want to help our podcast grow, the easiest way to do that is to hit that subscribe button wherever you're listening right now, whether it's on Spotify, whether it's on YouTube, if you're watching Every single episode is YouTube videoed, so you can check it out, subscribe there, you can follow on Apple Podcasts, and the best part is it's completely free, so just hit that button. You can even hit automatic downloads so you don't have to wait for it to buffer. As soon as you sit in your car or going on your walk, or rowing your lawn, wherever you listen to the podcast, it'll automatically be kind of ready on your phone, which is really really cool fun.
Speaker 2: He's back, okay, Jeff, All right, perfect, Dad.
Speaker 1: I didn't even cut I just told everybody how they can support the show. And so you saying that you had to go get something out of the oven is going to be in what did you have to get out of the oven?
Speaker 3: I got some turkey bacon out of the oven. I haven't had a piece of bread, Jeff, not exaggerating in a month. So I am making a bacon. I'm making a BLT today using turkey bacon.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I have you beat. I know I have you beat.
Speaker 1: I haven't had a piece of bread since June first. I've gone two months.
Speaker 2: Almost now, no dairy and no gluten, Dad.
Speaker 1: But I will say I went to Jersey Mike's yesterday they serve a gluten free bun really and it was listen, is it as good as their baked bread? No, let's let me put it out there. You can't beat bread with something that's not bread, Okay, you just.
Speaker 3: Can't do it.
Speaker 2: But it was pretty darn good.
Speaker 1: And I've had quite a few gluten free sandwiches bread rolls, and this is by far the best. So I got it Mike's way, and they doused it with the juice as they call it, so it could kind of soak the bread a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Recommend check it out, Dad, serious.
Speaker 3: Right, well, I'm making a belt on my own today and it's going to be great, I hope.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go into the takeaway. Can't wait to see photos of the blt after.
Speaker 3: Right, well, Jeff, again, the takeaways are still We're just going to go quickly back to the Hall of Fame. The each Row speech was tremendous because he did it in English, which was to the surprise of nobody, because he's a really smart guy and he understood English when he came here, you know, twenty five years ago. I'll never forget, Jeff, the first interview that I did with him was his first spring training, and you could see the sense of humor that he already had and he understood what I was saying. The two of us were sitting on chairs in the outfield in Peoria, Illinois, where Peoria, Illinois Peoria Arizona, where the Ebertors were trading okay, and so I asked him a bunch of questions, like what is your favorite part about being in the United States because he now lives here, because he's playing baseball here. He said, hamburgers. I could eat hands every day. And then he said, this is where I noticed a sense of humor, which really came out in his wonderful speech. I said, uh, so, what what disappoints you the most about about America? And he said, everything breaks here. And then he looks at me and he goes that chair, that chair that you're sitting on, My collapse any second, just be ready. And I thought, Wow, this guy's way ahead of it when it comes to understanding our country and what it takes to get along here. So speeches were great, Dick Allen's widow was fabulous, Dave Parker's son was great. Billy Wagner, of course, played up perfectly that you know, I don't. I was never supposed to be here and C. C. Stabathia talked about his battles to get here and everything. So the speeches were great. Not seen everywhere though. Jeff was the one that I went to on Saturday. It was a packed house. By the way. Tom Hamilton, play by play guy for the Cleveland Guardians, went in with the Ford Frick Award, and my friend and Tom Boswell won the Career Excellence Award this year for baseball writing. He should have been in fifteen years ago. But he made a stunningly good speech, which was no surprise. And I grew up reading Tom Boswell. He's eight years older than me, and so I grew up reading him in the Washington Post. Then I ended up working right next to him. And I'll never forget eighty six playoffs, Angels and Red Sox. I'll be real close on this. One of the games. He looks at me in the second inning. We're sitting right next to each other covering the game, and I'm honored because I'm sitting right next to Tom Boswell and he looks at me. It's nothing, nothing in the second inning, and he goes this is a four to two game. I've seen this game before. The final score was four to two, and he called it at the second inning, but it was nothing to nothing. So it was great. It was really, really a great time in Cooperstown, and I am going to go back every year if I'm allowed, because just being there is the best weekend of the year, and it's just a shared love of baseball, jeff from people who are there. I told you a few years ago when I was honored there. I walked to a special event on Sunday morning and there was this you know, mid thirties guy, I would say, standing on the side, you know, on the side of the street, and he was getting autographs and stuff like that. He asked me to sign his bad I was thrilled, and I said, so where are you from? He goes, I'm from San Diego. I drove here. So he drove from San Diego to Williamsport, I mean to Cooper's Down. I mean that that's a long ride, Jeffrey. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's by far the most incredible place when it comes to baseball.
Speaker 2: You meet so many great people.
Speaker 1: I know, my friends TJ and Karen were there, My buddy Ralphie was there. They're all fans like they Tej and Karen went for Hammy, as they call them.
Speaker 2: They went for their broadcaster Dad, not for a.
Speaker 1: I mean they are Indians, then Guardians fans, so CC Sabathia as well, even though we went in as a Yankee obviously spent a lot of time in Cleveland. My buddy Ralphie went for CC Sabathia. He's a Yankee fan. So I think it's really special what fans, How fans make Cooper sound such an important part of their life.
Speaker 3: It's really cool, absolutely tremendous. Okay, other things, Jeff, the Blue Jays are really hot, Jeff. They're seventeen and five in the month of July through Sunday, and they have a chance to have the best winning percentage in any month in franchise history. And remember they won two World Series in a row, so this is impressive. Now, I'm not suggesting they are this good and they're just gonna run away with things, but there have been a bunch of time they have the best record of baseball. I mean, like six different teams seemingly have had the best record of baseball at one point. This year, which makes it so interesting. We're not sure who's good, We're not sure who's not good anymore, and that's going to make for an amazing stretcher out. And speaking of amazing, Jeff Nick Kurtz went six for six, scored six runs, and had eight RBIs. So just read off that line score six six six eight, four homers, nineteen total bases. So he and Sean Green are the only two players ever to have six hits in a four homer game and the kicker there. So arguably this is the greatest offensive performance ever and he's the first rookie to do it, and he did it in his sixty sixth major league game. The previous record for fewest games to your first or your four homer game is four hundred and twenty five by Mark Witten. So he broke it by a mile. And Mark Whitten, by the way, was later, not that year, but not that long later, was sent to the minor leagues after hitting four home runs in the game. Think about that for a second. And by the way, Jeff Sean Green hit four hit that four homer game nineteen total bases. While I was on a school road trip a what's it called field trip. Field trip with might have been with Kelly to Williamsburg. All I know was I was on a trip where I was in no position to work and Sean Green went six or six with four home runs drove it. It was just unbelievable. I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Why Why does this happen to you when at the most inconvenient times of all time?
Speaker 3: I think it was Kelly, not your class, because I went on all the field trips. And do you remember, Jeff, what happened the first time I took the family to Cape Cod and we're at a Cape Cod game? Do you remember what happened? We're about in the seventh andy of the game. We're having the time of our life at Cape Cod and Felix Hernandez pitched a perfect game.
Speaker 2: If you remember, Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 3: I don't care what we're doing. When someone pitches a perfect game and they call and say, can you get on the phone with us, the answer is yes, of course I can't. I'm not gonna say, hey, you're on vacation with my family. It only took ten minutes, but that, Yeah, strange things happen when I go away like that, and.
Speaker 1: Dad to your point about records being set by nobody's with all due respect Mark Whitten, former Major League baseball player. Of course, it isn't Barry Bonds or Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth or somebody else who hit four homers in a game that early into his career. Speaking of Barry Bonds, never did it.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, Jeff, Yeah, as we've been over David Ortiz, Rafael opel Mao, Gary Sheffield five hundred homers each, never hitting that three homers in a game, right, crazy. Hank Aaron had won three homer game in the regular season, Babe Ruth had two three homer games, two in the postseason. But it just shows you what Nick Kurtz can do. Jeff. This this was not an aberration. This kid has been really swinging it. He played in college last year, Jeff. Just another reminder how quickly these guys are arriving in the big leagues, and when they get here, they're really, really good. But just for a little bit of context, Jeff, when he hit the four homers in the game, the Guardians, the Giants, and the Brewers as a team had not hit four homers in a game this season, and each had played over one hundred games and Nick Kurtz, a rookie, hit four homers in one game. How great is that?
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Dad should be jumping to the cotchins for today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, Jeff, you know how much I think cycles are cool. But as we've been over a thousand times on this podcast, Willie Mays, Hank, Aaron Babe Ruth, and Barry Bonds never hit for the cycle, So how great can it be? However, when a guy gets the cycle or flirts with a cycle. Well, Michael Harris, the second of the Braves, had an interesting night the other night. He comes up for what we know is his last at bat and he has a double, a triple, at a homer. So all he needs is a single easy hit for the cycle, and he hits another triple. So I checked the last time that any player needed a single to hit for the cycle, and instead he hit his second triple of the game. The triple, of course, is the hardest thing to do. Hal Breeden did that on September second, nineteen seventy three, so it was fifty two years ago that anyone did kind of exactly what Michael Harris did. So he ended up with two triples, a double, and a homer and did not hit for the cycle. Jeff, I guess the question is, what would you rather do? Single, double, triple, homer or double? Two triples and a homer? I mean, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: You always got it.
Speaker 1: I mean, would you rather hit a single, double, triple, homer or four homers?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, you know what I mean, right.
Speaker 2: You take the four homer game every time?
Speaker 3: Right now? This status kind of old, Jeff, But maybe ten years ago I called all my friends of the Elias and said, all right, I'm tired of hearing this guy is a triple short of the cycle. It's like saying I want to lose one hundred pounds and you've lost five. You've got a night off the Titanic, as you would say, yeah, you don't. The triple is the hard partic. So they looked it up, and this was like ten years ago, so it's changed a lot since then. But they've found fourteen thousand, five hundred instances in baseball history where someone had a single, a double, at, a homer, and no triple. Fourteen thousand, five hundred. So let's not make it likee hey, all he needs is a triple. Well, it's not that to hit a triple.
Speaker 1: That twenty thousand individuals have played Major League Baseball slightly more, yes, slightly more like almost close to twenty one thousand and fourteen thousand instances of this happening. Right, I hate that too, Dad, It's a pet peeve of mine as well.
Speaker 3: Right, all right. The other thing, the poor Rockies lost a game to the Oriols the other day eighteen to nothing. So they've lost two games this year by eighteen to nothing. So they are the fourth team in Major League history to lose, to be shut out twice in a season and give up at least eighteen runs in those two games. The sixty nine Podres and Expansion team are the only team since nineteen hundred other than now the Rockies, to do that in one season. So I looked up that sixty nine Padres team, Jeff, they got shut out. These were the scores they got other shutouts. But these are the no ones nineteen to nothing, nineteen to nothing, fourteen to nothing, twelve nothing, eleven nothing, and two ten to nothing. So seven times that year, Jeff, they were shut out while the other team scored in double figures. Wow. And they were outscored by two hundred and seventy eight runs that year. That's what happens when you're an expansion team. Makes for a difficult season. Okay, Xavier Edwards of the Marlins, and I only bring this up because we've been tracking this even I'm getting tired of it. But he's the leadoff guy, and he struck out four times. So now we have twenty six times this year that a leadoff guy has struck out four times or more in a game. So that ties the record for most leadoff strikeouts before the month of August, tying twenty twenty two. So I'm pretty sure in the next few days someone else will strike out four times, which, again, Jeff, all I'm trying to say is how hard it is to get a hit these days, and how our hitters are up against it, and until they make an adjustment, which they're going to have to do here pretty soon, they're going to keep striking out. Riley Green, by the way, for the Tigers, just made the All Star team. He's a good player. Through Monday, he had struck out thirty eight times in the month of July. Wow. Tony Gwyn who we talk about all the time on the show. His strikeout high for a season was forty. Joe DiMaggio strikeout high was thirty nine. You know, Yogi Berra's below that and he's got thirty eight. So guess who has Jeff the most strikeouts in a calendar month this season? Just shoot as high as you can, Shoot as high as you can for it.
Speaker 2: Guess who has it or what number?
Speaker 3: No, just guess who has struck out the most times in any calendar month just this season. Shoot as high as you want, say it, Kyle Schwarverer, no higher, higher other than Aaron Judge. Yes, Aaron Judge struck out forty two times in June. That's the most strikeouts in any calendar month this season. Are we picking on Aaron Judge? Of course not. And now he's hurt. Now there's a big debate there. Not. None of this is the point. We're just trying to show in this beautiful game that we love and we cover and we watch the best players hold some strange, strange marks. In this case, most strikeouts in a month this year belonged to Aaron Judge at forty two. Yes, unbelievable, right, Okay, So Jeff on Friday night, JP Crawford, we had a six to one put out, Jeff, a six one put out. So that's the shortstop throwing it to the picture for a putout. Now can you even picture how that could happen because the last time it happened was in twenty twenty two, so it's been over three years since the shortstop threw the ball to the pitcher in just a six to one put out. He wasn't part of a rundown. Six and one were involved, So I'm not going to torture you with this. JP Crawford was the hitter for the Mariners first and second tenth inning. Nobody out and the bunt went to the left side of the infield, and the shortstops Ach Netto of the Angels, charges the ball. He throws it to Ryan Zephyr John, the pitcher who is covering third on the play because he's an alert pitcher, and he flips it to the pitcher to get a force out at third. Six to one. I mean, those are the things, Jeff, that I look at and say, I'm not sure I've ever seen a six to one. Clearly there have been, because it was one three years ago, but I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That is definitely alert pitching, and that's something we teach our kids in youth baseball, like cover each other and nothing's more fun than scoring game because then you'll have like a six, nine to two putout and you're like, how did that even happen?
Speaker 3: Right, And we just scream at pictures in spring training during PfP pictures fielding practice to get over there. That's what they scream every time, to go cover first base. Well, in this case, he ran over and covered third base and got it out very heads up. My last one, Jeff, is our biggest stretch of the courch in this year, we Adrian Hauser faced Michael Bush and he hit it with a pitch, which is kind of irrelevant, but so that was an Anheuser Busch matchup, right, No, Right, was that terrible? It was terrible? Sorry, that was that was rough? That was that was terrible.
Speaker 1: We've been diving deep and in fact that I haven't seen a lot of messages from the family, from the people who listened to the show, they.
Speaker 2: Were really hot on it. Lately I haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't been seeing their messages and quite frankly that I check every day twice a day now, because you have completely dist and I haven't found a good one in weeks.
Speaker 3: Me a picture, batter matchup or a picture a fun name. Yeah, look it goes in spurs. Don't don't get down on our on our listeners and our readers and our our and our viewers, because I haven't found that many lately either, But they come in Spurst. We're going to have a really good one coming up, I promise you.
Speaker 1: And the only other one I was thinking about is Wednesday, July thirtieth, Nelson and Olsen. I don't know why the matchups of the Suns, but it doesn't even work right Nelson and Olson.
Speaker 3: All right, Jeff, we got to do better than that, for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, my other one from Wednesday's matchup is burrows against Web. A spider creates a web and he also burrows into the ground. Nope, nope, not good, trying too hard?
Speaker 3: All right, we can cut that one out of the podcast, Jeff, since it's it's so bad.
Speaker 1: I'm not even gonna cut it out now that you cause I'm not cutting out you taking your blt out of the oven.
Speaker 3: I'm not cutting this out right, all right, Alright, this is what we do. We have other lives. I have to cook and you told me you were not beyond at eleven thirty today, so I put some bacon in the oven. It was good, right, Sorry, all right?
Speaker 2: On this date in baseball history, Dad, what do you have for us?
Speaker 3: All right? We're only I only have one because frankly, there were not a great number of compelling things on this state. But on this date in two thousand and seven, Cal Ripken and Tony gwyn Junior Tony Gwinn both went into the Hall of Fame in the same class. And it's the greatest induction ceremony that I've ever been to. Of Course, the Oriole fans were everywhere. I wasn't shocked, but it was amazing how many people came from San Diego to see Tony Gwynn. And of course we have Tony Gwynn Junior on the podcast tomorrow and he talked all about that induction. I told couple stories from that induction. But Jeff, what do you remember from that induction? Because you were what what were you? Fourteen years old? Thirteen years old?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thirteen, And I mean, we're going to talk to Tony Gwinn Junior about the induction on the episode tomorrow. You do not want to miss First of all, you don't want to miss it due to the uncanny lookalike and sound alike dad and I talking and Tony Gwinn Junior talking, and God rest his soul, and we wish we could have him with us. But if his dad was on the podcast dat I think it would be unlistenable because it would just sound like Tim Kirkson talking to Tony Gwynn and the sons weren't even there because you and I sound alike and Tony and his son sound so similar. Right, But my highlight and I talked about it on the interview, so I'm going to repeat myself preemptively.
Speaker 2: But is the people Dad.
Speaker 1: I had a chance to go to quite a few inductions at that point. They were back to the trees, and those who have been to Cooper Sound know what that means. There was a huge field where they hold the induction ceremony and it was a sea of people. It was unbelievable, and that to me, it just sticks out. As a kid as a teenager, now I had my own experiences. I had a chance to meet Tony Gwinn and Cal Ripken Jr. Both I met them both at the two thousand and one All Star Game with you, Dad, but meeting them induction weekend and after you did the roundtable with the both of them. This is after their induction, so it's a little slower it used to air on ESPN. I'm sitting backstage and carric Can and Tony Gwynn walk off, Dad, and you introduced me to Cal.
Speaker 3: Right now, and I'm going to tell I'm going to tell that story, Jeff. So. Cal Ripkin's speech was absolutely tremendous that day, as was Tony Gwyn's speech, And we'll tell a couple of Tony gwyn stories tomorrow, so please tune in. But cal Ripkins started his Hall of Fame speech with a story, a very self deprecating story about how he had just gotten back from a like a kid camp where he went in and introduced himself and then went on to help teach the kids how to play baseball. So as part of it, he said, he said, yeah, you know, I played X number of years, I made X number of All Star teams. But this was what they wanted him to do. He wasn't bragging about himself. But it was a pretty long list of accomplishments. I won two MVPs, that type of thing. So after the speech is over, one of the kids came up to him. He was like eight years old, and he goes to cal Ripken and he says, am, I supposed to know who you are? And I I thought that was the most beautiful way to open a Hall of Fame speech. Was it to indeed present all of his accolades. But there was an eight year old kid who had no idea who he was. So I'm going to steal your thunder, Jeff. But after the speech was over, after the roundtable was over, and now all the pressure is off, you go up to meet cal Ripken again and you're thirteen years old, and you know, you shook his hand and you looked at him and said, am I supposed to know who you are? And I cal Ripken laughed out loud. He was completely taken that a thirteen year old. And this is important, Jeff. A thirteen year old not only had watched and listened to the speech, but could bring something back from the speech and present it in a clever way to an adult. Thirteen year olds aren't very good at that and all kidding aside, Jeff. That's when I knew my boy Jeff has a chance to do something if he wants to move it forward. Because that was really funny and you made cal Ripken laugh out loud.
Speaker 2: That means a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of my favorite memories and one of my favorite stories.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Now, Dad, you mentioned you only had one on this date in baseball history, so I came up with an on this date in regular history. I have one one date that I thought really stuck out in in nineteen oh seven, Robert Baden Powell formed the Boy Scouts of England, the Boy Scouts in England, and it just takes me back to our time in the Cub Scouts when you were our assistant dead leader with your shirt and your pins and you, along with Aquila mister Reedy, who was an actual Eagle Scout back in his day, was our dead leader and you were the assistant dead leader. I don't think that you had any qualifications to have that job, Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: Jeff? There were six kids in the dead Okay, we didn't need an assistant dead leader. But yes I was. I'm sure the worst assistant dead leader in history. Because I couldn't put up a tent to save my life, I would be I wouldn't get past phase one of trying to become an eagle scout. I remember I had to do Jim Ready Akila. Sean Reidy's dad told me, all right, we need you to prepare something for the kids. So I said, all right, I'll do something on baseball, and he goes, no, we're going to branch out from this. You have to do something on bird migration. So I'm thinking, I don't know anything about birds. I don't know anything about migration. I sure do know anything about bird migration. So I went to the internet. I came up with a I came up with a propos. I just made a presentation on bird migration. And afterwards, you're like eight years old, you said, God, Dad, that was great. I had no idea that you knew that much about bird migration. I said, Jeff, I didn't know anything until this morning. But yeah, that was That was pretty bad. And I was a terrible assistant den leader. But I tried, and I went on all the trips, and you know, I tried to two sticks together. I was awful, but I did do all of that stuff with you guys, and that was the most important thing.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, wrapping up today's episode, don't forget we have Tony Gwinn Junior tomorrow on the podcast.
Speaker 2: You got to make sure to be listening. You have a team tim today.
Speaker 3: Don't you. Yeah. I just thought, in keeping in just to say goodbye to the Hall of Fame for one more year, that I would do the very controversial greatest players of all time at each position. Jeff, this is the ultimate. This is my list, not your list, not anybody else's list. And our great friend Jim Henneman, the late great Jim Heneman, used to play this game all the time, where you get four guys in a room or four women in a room, doesn't matter, and you're gonna pick the greatest player of all time at each position. But it's like a fantasy football draft. You know, I get the first choice at catcher, You get the first choice at second, Michael kirkchen first at third, and Mark gets the first choice at shortstops. Not everyone gets and you just rotate. Okay, And at the end of the exercise, at the end of the game, all four guys say, my team is better than yours, because there are that many great players in the history of baseball, and your fourth best shortstop might be better, you think, than the best shortstop who got the number one pick. So whatever, All right, so this is mine. I'm not going to expound on these because it's fairly obvious who these guys are. Johnny Bench is still for me the greatest catcher of all time. I saw him at Coopersown. He is again the master of ceremonies, of all things. He was absolutely in his glory. It was so great. Luke Garrig gets the first baseman. Rogers Hornsby is the second baseman. I still believe the greatest right handed hitter of all time. Hannis Wagner is the shortstop. Again. He played well over one hundred years ago, and I think would be the starting shortstop because he was played for the Pirates for the Pirates right now. If we just gave him a little time to figure out how to play in today's game, he would start in the big leagues right now. For the game him a.
Speaker 1: Little time to figure out today's game and a little time to figure out how to use a cell.
Speaker 3: Phone right and how to use a glove. That actually has fingers on it instead of just a hunk of leather. Mike Schmidt's the third baseman. Told several Mike Schmidt stories today. Ted Williams my left fielder. Second greatest hitter of all time for me, after Babe Ruth. Willie May is his greatest center fielder. He's the greatest player I've ever seen, and I think to Babe Ruth the second greatest player ever my opinion, Babe Ruth is the right fielder. Walter Johnson is the right handed pitcher. Yeah, it's such a bad it's such a bad gag now that when I say now, you just have to complete the sentence. Hey, did I ever tell you I went to Walter Johnson High School. Yeah, okay, he's the right handed pitcher. This was really hard. Lefty Grove is the left handed pitcher. Just go back and look at those numbers, especially in the early go back and look at nineteen thirty one, when you know when he won thirty one games, lost four. I mean, he was pretty good. And Mariano Rivera is the closer, is our relief pitcher. So that's my all time team. I mean, give me your all time team. There are no correct answers here because it's an opinion question. But that's who I came up with, and that says goodbye to Cooperstown for twenty twenty five. But it was a great it was a great weekend in Cooperstown. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Tony gwyn Junior on the podcast tomorrow talking about his major league career, his broadcasting career, and of course his Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 1: It's it's a really really great interview. We can't wait for you to hear it. Plus, the trade deadline is coming up this week and we are as of now planning on doing a little bonus episode that will come out on the feed Friday, So you're gonna get four episodes this week, including our just initial quick reactions on the trades go down on Thursday afternoon, so we can stay up to date on that.
Speaker 2: All right, Dad, We'll go make your blt okay.
Speaker 3: I am, I'm gonna cut. I'm gonna slice some tomato, a little lettuce, a little mayonnaise, and some turkey bacon on toasted wheat bread. I'm looking forward to first piece of bread in a month.
Speaker 2: Joe, I'm jealous.
Speaker 3: I'm very jealous.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, so much for listening, thanks for making a belt, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family.