Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jettie and no he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 1: Well listen to this.
Speaker 3: According to a new report, last week, air traffic controllers at Newark lost all communication with.
Speaker 1: Plans for over a minute.
Speaker 4: It's getting to the point where we really should clap when the plane lands.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, no kidding. Turns out our air traffic control system in the United States is horrifically antiquated, as bureaucratically screwed up, as virtually anything the government does, and probably not very safe.
Speaker 1: Other than that, though, it's just a peach Well statistically has been very very safe, including up to like write this moment.
Speaker 5: So what until people start dying in droves? You don't you don't maintain it. What is your point, sir?
Speaker 1: Why am I yelling? Yes? That's true air traffic. Air air travel in the United States is miraculously say yeah, I just wonder how we pull it off. I mean, yeah.
Speaker 5: On the other hand, it is, uh, it is absolutely in The rack in Washington, d C was a symptom of this at Reagan National airport between the passenger jet and the helicopter. The near misses are getting more and more. The we don't know what's going on, Hey, what's happening over here? Incidents where it's out of controller happening more and more in a way that any you know, sane people would nip in the bud, although the bud was like twenty years ago anyway. Sean Duffy is the new go get them transportation secretary who makes Pete Buddhajic look like the pleasant faced, do nothing climber that he is. Sean is making the rounds talking about how we've got to reform the system.
Speaker 1: Michael will start with thirty one.
Speaker 6: This is an infrastructure problem, right, and we've known this infrastructure problem has existed for a very long time.
Speaker 1: The last administration knew it. No one has done anything.
Speaker 6: So for Newark specifically, we're going to rebuild the communication system at Newark. I thought it was going to be eight months, six months. We're pushing to do it faster. Hopefully this summer we get that done. But the key is always safety, right. I don't want people to fly. I'd rather have them delayed or canceled. I'd rather have it takes six months than two and a half months to build out the communication system because I want people to get from point A to point B safely, and again, if they have to wait for a flight, I'll prefer that then something else going wrong with their flight.
Speaker 2: So while I did throw in the it's still safe.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's safer to fly than to drive to the airport. But we all know over the last several years, the whole delays thing has gotten completely out of control. You show up at the airport assuming one of your flights is going to be delayed.
Speaker 2: Now, it didn't used to be that, right.
Speaker 1: Duffy goes on, What.
Speaker 6: We have to do is we're rolling a plan out on Thursday. We're gonna need a lot of money from Congress to do this. It's not gonna take ten years like Pete suggested. It's gonna take three to four years to get this build out done. You can't snap your fingers and lay fiber or bring in new radios or new radar. Those things take time. And we're gonna put the time in, the money in, and you're gonna start to see results sooner than three or four years. As this buildout happens.
Speaker 5: So other countries have private, nonprofit companies doing their air traffic control because they can adapt, they can innovate, they can hire people, they can fire people, they can pay what it takes to get good.
Speaker 1: People, et cetera. Without the incredible bureaucracy. I didn't know. This chokes everything. Why are other countries more libertarian on this than we are?
Speaker 5: Because they don't have incredibly powerful employee unions government employee union France is probably all screwed up.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I don't know how they run it. I know Canada does the tomorrow private full hour on French air traffic controlling. Oh wow, wouldn't that be fascinating? In the people?
Speaker 5: Alex What is people who have no shame and will say anything, no matter how dishonest.
Speaker 1: Thirty five Michael.
Speaker 4: It's outrageous and it's because of Trump and doge. FAA has been cut, employees have been caught, top people have left in exasperation.
Speaker 1: Now what Trump is trying to do.
Speaker 4: If there's any place where Trump chaos, which is so typical of this administration, can really cause loss of life, it's at the FAA.
Speaker 1: God, I hate politics. This, Oh my god, honestly the worst form of government ever invented, except for all the others. I mean, it's just that's one of the most powerful people in that party just playing the old game.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so tiring. Absolutely lie.
Speaker 5: Not only that, but I was reading an aviation expert talking about how Chuck Schumer has opposed every single meaningful update and reform to the FAA through the years, merely to protect the unions that contribute to his campaigns. He every time somebody has said, hey, we really ought to update this, we ought to increase the technology, we ought to do this, we ought to hire these people.
Speaker 1: Uh give. He has opposed every reform.
Speaker 5: And now now when when the Trump administration is trying to do something, he says, it's Trump and Doge, good lord, how does he hide his horns?
Speaker 1: What an evil you do?
Speaker 2: The game of politics? Just don't. I don't know how you do it. I guess you just accept that that's the way we do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, goodness knows.
Speaker 5: I've been more than critical of Donald J when I think it's appropriate, and will continue to be. And if you don't like it, I'm sorry to hear that. But it does what it does. But Matthew countin any of the free press actually listened to him. I'm not sure if he was there, but he listened to Trump's entire address to the University of Alabama's graduating class, and he says, and Matthew countenend is a very serious journalist. He said, he's been amazed that while people were either enjoying or criticizing his riff on transgender athletes, which was at that speech, and a couple of other things, he said, there's almost no coverage of the substance of what he said and.
Speaker 1: Continent. He said, he found it really interesting.
Speaker 5: Trump summarized ten tips for getting out of college and having a good life, and I will touch on them briefly.
Speaker 1: That's a good tease right there. I mean, that would make me. I'm surprised that hasn't been in the news. War.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I don't want to rush like a maniac through them, so we can do them after the break.
Speaker 1: But they it's like reading the Art of the Deal. It explains a fair amount of what Trump is up to, not all of it, but some of it. So we'll get to that after the break.
Speaker 5: In the time we have now, well, a quick order from our friends at Prize Picks and then back into the fascinating content. Did you have more or less on Steph Curry's hamstring last night?
Speaker 1: Oh? I don't believe that's one of the stats Prize Picks offers Jack, But yeah, that's you just pick at least two players, like to six. I guarantee everybody had more on Antony Edwards scoring one point in the first half. O my.
Speaker 5: And you just pick more or less on two to six player projections for your shot to win up to two thousand times your cash. And you know, maybe you've got a theory on a basketball player and a baseball player.
Speaker 1: That's fine. You can combine sports when you make your lineup. You can play as little as you want. Yeah, turn your opinions into cash. Pretty cool. Download the app today. Use the code armstrong. You get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. That codes armstrong to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup.
Speaker 5: And turn your playoff Hot takes into tickets into Basketball's Championship Series starting with the play in round. Every lineup you make on Prize Picks, we'll en you and he takes two tickets sweepstakes which would get you in a plus one a VIP trip to the Championship Series again. Download the price picks app us that God Armstrong get fifty dollars instantly after you just play five.
Speaker 1: Bucks prize picks.
Speaker 2: Run your game.
Speaker 1: Let's see what time is it. I was gonna squeeze in one more thing, but we could break on time for once in our lives. And I'll tell you there's a great gender bending madness and campus madness update coming up before the end of the show today. So I mentioned Steph Curry and Big Star for the Golden State Warriors basketball player hurting his hamstring, and they kept talking about he's thirty seven.
Speaker 2: It's going to be hard to come back.
Speaker 1: It's funny when you get older watching sports and them talking about thirty seven year olds as old. When you know you get a little older, you'd give a lot of money to be thirty seven again. In there, the old man trying to shake his old veteran right.
Speaker 5: He limps off the court, perhaps for the last time, walking into history.
Speaker 1: He's thirty seven, got a recipe for success, and Joe's gonna tell us I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 2: It's coming up next.
Speaker 3: We also have a situation because Evere says when when, when are you gonna sign deals?
Speaker 1: We don't have to sign deals.
Speaker 3: We can sign twenty five deals right now, Howard, if we wanted, we don't have to sign deal. They have to sign deals with us. They want a piece of our market. We don't want a piece of their market. We don't care about their market. They want a piece of our market.
Speaker 2: There's the hardball salesman.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and putting aside some of the particulars which were bs because Trump's a ps or.
Speaker 5: That was Donald J and his I'm gonna make a deal mode. More on the trade talks with China later, although it's early days of an enormously complex.
Speaker 1: And more on what he said with the ceasefire with the Hoothies, which is kind of interesting too. Yeah. But anyways, speaking of Donald J, you know, I see him as like some of.
Speaker 5: My favorite athletes through the years, great strengths and great flaws.
Speaker 1: That's fine, that's enough set.
Speaker 5: But he He gave an address at Alabama Roll Tide at their graduation the other day in which he rolled out ten thoughts about success that I found very, very interesting, and they explained a fair amount about Trump himself.
Speaker 1: The first one.
Speaker 5: Success can happen at a young age, he said. In America, with drive and ambition, young people can do anything. And he cited some chapters of his own life. And I hear, Yeah, the dad was rich and gave him money. Yeah, that's true. But he mentioned other American innovators like Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, the founders who started off in their twenties.
Speaker 1: Don't waste your youth, he said, get after it. By the way, I can name off the top of my head five people I've known in my life who dad gave them a bunch of money and they spent it all and ruined their lives and are worthless. Yes. Yeah, indeed, love what you do, he says. I rarely see somebody that's successful that doesn't love what he or she does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a mixed bag. Let me get through it, then we can discuss. He pointed to his father, Fred Trump, who died in ninety nine at the age of ninety three. He was a tough guy, tough as hell, actually, or he worked seven days a week, not because he had to, but because he enjoyed it, and Matthew count in any comments, Well, it's hard for his critics to understand.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump and his.
Speaker 5: Supporters enjoy politics a sense of fun, improvisation, and risk, imbuse his rallies and campaigns.
Speaker 1: My you know, I'm not quibbling with any of this because that's all true, and I'm sure most of this will be true in general. But man, not everybody has a motor like Donald Trump does, or are lots of successful people I've known.
Speaker 2: You just either have that motor or you don't. Yeah, and some people.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking of one friend of mine who said to me not terribly long ago, Look, I hate my job, but I'm good at it, and I make good money, and I've got job security, and I do other things that bring me life satisfaction.
Speaker 1: He says, I can accept the bargain.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, if you want to be like a runaway, success in your field probably helps to.
Speaker 1: Really enjoy what you do.
Speaker 5: But anyway, this is what the Sean Duffy and the reforming air traffic control thing reminded me of, because instead of saying, well, we got to protect the unions, and you know, the head of the fbaa he's got his turf, and you know, we don't want to rush into this blah blah blah blah, which has yielded a system that still used the technology of the nineteen nineties, even though it's one of the most important things the government does. Think Big Trump said, it's just as hard to solve a small problem as a big problem. He finds the audacious more enticing than the incremental. He leans toward the wildest visions, winning the presidency despite no military or government experience, for example, or being re elected after impeachment, defeat, embarrassment indictments, a criminal conviction and two assassination attempts, Oh my god, rewriting the rules of American government foreign policy or the global trading system, or turning the Gaza Strip into a luxury resort, or reopening Alcatraz Prison. Goes on, and some of it gets filed away with the under the heading no, but.
Speaker 1: Some of it is worth considering. And it's kind of cool that someone would say it out loud. Yeah, we've been in these like post WW two trade agreements for seventy years. Why do we blow them up? What would happen? How about the crowd that always just wants to keep things the same so you can stay in your job. That's a lot of people. Oh, it's huge in government. Huge.
Speaker 5: It's like the number one thing to be reckoned with, work hard, never ever stop.
Speaker 1: That explains the two am tweets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the motor. You just I think he got that or you don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can get more disciplined as you go, certainly, but I hear you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: He quotes the great Gary player, South African pro golf for nine major champion chip winner. He was one of those guys's fond of saying. It's funny. The harder I work, the luckier I get.
Speaker 1: Yeah. True.
Speaker 5: Anyway, don't lose your momentum. I thought this was interesting. The word momentum is very important.
Speaker 1: Trump said.
Speaker 5: He brought up William Levitt, real estate developer who pioneered the post WW two move to the suburbs in nineteen seventy two. You remember Levitt Towns. That was an expression. Anyway, Levitt sold his company to a large corporation. He was never able to recapture his earlier success, and years later Trump continued to encountered Levitt at a party, referring to the sale Levitt told Trump, I shouldn't have done it. I lost my momentum, and the anecdotes right. The anecdote, rather, writes Matthew CONTINENTI reveals why Trump operates at such high speeds. Trump has been liking to the honey badger who doesn't give up. His tenacity is related to a fear that's slowing down means a loss of momentum and an end to his career.
Speaker 1: I think someday, long after this period, when you know people's hatred of Trump, for people who hate him, you know you can look at him more objectively. They'll pick up on that because he's obviously got qualities, good qualities to be able to pull off what he's pulled off in his life.
Speaker 2: And some of them are that I admire.
Speaker 1: Are He takes bad breaks better than like anybody ever. He just he just finds a way around or ignores it or I don't know, just amazing to something else. Yeah, I want to get through these if I can. I love this be an outsider. Progress never comes from those satisfied with the failures of a broken system. Trump said, wow, one more time.
Speaker 5: Progress never comes from those satisfied with the failures of a broken system. The contrast with his political antithesis, Barack Obama is stark write continenty. Obama says progress is achieved through bottom up community action within institutions. For Trump, progress is the result of renegade individuals willing to break things. That Trump approach is more effective, and he goes into it a little bit. Trust your instincts. I have a quibble with this. I won't get into I'd like to rephrase that is, trust your common sense. And Trump addressed the kids at Alabama said Trump used the word instinct as a synonym for common sense. Borders are not racist, he said, speech is not violence. America is good and terrorists are bad. Men can never become women. Police are not criminals, and criminals are not victims. Police can be criminals. But that's about as clear as a credo as you can get.
Speaker 2: Wow, how does that get more attention?
Speaker 1: Ah? Because it probably makes so much sense in the media. Hated it.
Speaker 5: Believe in the American Dream. Last August, Trump declared that the American Dream was dead. He pledged to bring it back. Mission accomplished. The American Dream is real, he said to the Alabamas. It's there, it's right before you. I love that and fine is that? Finally, oh, two more things positively, he said to the youngsters and their parents and friends. Don't consider yourself a victim, he said, consider yourself a winner. And he recommended one of his favorite books, a classic, The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peel. The teaching has your universal application. Whether you're born rich or poort, black or white, male or female. In America, anyone can be a winner. And finally, be an original. And his list of American trailblazers went from Teddy Roosevelt to Doug MacArthur, George Patton, Amelia Earhart, Annie Oakley, Muhammad Ali, all men and women of action, Daredevil's risk takers, outside personalities, He's capone. You're one of a kind. Trump told the graduates. Don't try to be someone else, just be yourself. And finally, and most importantly concluded, never ever give up. Number eleven, Have a hot young wife. Number twelve, be like Hitler, because I'm the new Hitlar, un below evable. So much good there. For all the legitimate criticisms, those are points worth considering and teaching your kids.
Speaker 1: When Democrat presidents speak to Harvard with the usual crap it gets in, it leads every newscast. I didn't hear a word about Trump's speech to Alabama, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: Under this ban, service members who have a current diagnosis, or history of, or exhibit symptoms consistent with gender dysphoria will be processed for separation from military service. Now, that also means that transgender individuals cannot currently join any branch of the military. No, it's unclear exactly how many people were talking about, but in twenty eighteen, an independent research institute estimated there are about fourteen thousand transgender troops serving in the Middle.
Speaker 2: It's probably closer to six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not nearly that that number is way cooked up. Gender vending update next hour.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the cardinals, however, many hundreds of them there are taking their individual out loud oath of silence, ironic. What the hell would happen if it leaked out who the pope was? And again, I just want to throw this in because it's shocking to me. I'm pro Catholic Church, I'm pro pope, I'm pro Christianity, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: But the fact that.
Speaker 1: All this wonderment at their system and secrecy and rules without throwing in like constantly, the biggest pedophile crisis in world history, and you knew it, and you've known it for centuries, and you hit it, and then you would move a rapist to another little town so we'd rape more little kids.
Speaker 2: He didn't care about that. I don't get it.
Speaker 5: Bureacracies protect bureaucracies. That's all you need to get.
Speaker 1: That is what you need to know. And it's a very important thing to know. Not about the Catholic Church, it's about bureaucracies in general.
Speaker 5: If I might steal twenty seconds, I was reading about the Vatican's finances. I guess Francis was struggling against this till.
Speaker 1: His dying day. It was like the last days of his life.
Speaker 5: He was issuing edicts and trying desperately to figure out how to straighten out the Vatican's finances. That is a wash in priceless treasures, but tumbling deeper into debt. And all they could come up with is hit believers up for more money and maybe raise prices for all the tickets to get into the Vatican.
Speaker 1: And one more thing in this, and I realize this makes a lot of people uncomfortable and if you're Catholic, you hate somebody saying it. But I'm looking at all these guys. A lot of these guys are like, in their seventies and eighties, they were involved in the freaking raping of children.
Speaker 2: I guarant freaking.
Speaker 1: Tea a bunch of those people up there were so quit treating them like some sort of I don't know what this is, but yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: I look at every large institution with a squinty, jaundiced eye, all of them.
Speaker 1: AnyWho, here's the most annoying thing that's gonna happen this summer. I just want you to put it on your calendar so you can avoid it. Jeff Bezos and his girlfriend are getting married in June.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be.
Speaker 1: A three day extravaganza, three days in Italy from the twenty fourth, twenty fifth, and twenty six that I will get a tremendous amount of media coverage.
Speaker 2: So look forward to that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, who wants to do that, even if you can afford it? Who wants three days of pageantry and walking out in different outfits and people ooing and eyeing and ah? You know who does his wife and her friends?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wonder if she's gonna get her duck lips puffed up even more for the ceremony. Probably so they're not getting married on the five hundred million dollar yacht, which was a rumor originally.
Speaker 1: Now it's gonna be in some Italian town. That would be too showy. That would be too showy. Although he does have that How big is the ring? I had that somewhere, It doesn't make it twenty carrot ring on her finger, twenty carrot diamond ring that she works, so ring is so big they're having to measure it in cubic inches. That's the guys, another one of these stories. I'm always confused by it, since it's never damaged me so far. Yet, there's been a major password breach, one of the biggest yet in the cyber world. Over nineteen million passwords were leaked. I never know what to do with this information because my password hygiene is probably ced D level.
Speaker 2: I mean, I try a little bit.
Speaker 1: I don't just do one, two, three, four, but I don't change them there as much as you want. I've got the same one across multiple platforms. A lot of the stuff they tell you not to do. So far, nothing's ever happened to me, and I drained ten percent of your bank account every two months. But you know whatever, so far, nothing's ever happened to me, and nothing really bad's ever happened to anybody I personally know. So I don't know what you're supposed to do with this information, but I thought this article was kind of interesting. About the nineteen billion passwords that are circulating online currently, and six percent of them have been leaked. Ninety four percent had been reused across accounts and services, which you're never.
Speaker 2: Supposed to do.
Speaker 1: I do that.
Speaker 2: Everybody does that. I got to be surprised for you. Good for you if you don't.
Speaker 1: But the most common passwords are really easy to decode. Only forty two percent, or eight to ten characters in length, supposed to be longer. Okay, fine, way too many of them only have lowercase letters. Okay, good for you. I'm getting to the part that I really like. The analysis found that one two three four is used by four percent of all passwords. Still, there are seven hundred and twenty seven million people using one two three four as their password. Wow, or it might be the same person over and over again. In some cases, if you go to one, two, three, four, five six. It's three hundred and thirty eight million passwords that are that. Wow. Uh, password is common, admin is common. Some people use not nice words. The word ass is one hundred and sixty five million passwords. I kind of feel like I have missed an opportunity. I have not used ass in any of my passwords, and why haven't you? Lack of imagination, I guess sixteen million passwords that include the F word ass is the top entry, and then it goes down from there with a bunch of other filth. What about merkin see I think you're safe. You have Merkan dollar sign dollar sign asterisk. I think you're safe. The Russians can't get into that, no way. But and then it has here the usual rules. You know, don't use the same password across anything. It just to I'd like to know the percentage of people that follow all the rules. It's got to be single digits. How often have.
Speaker 5: You accepted, say, Apple's invitation to create an impenetrable thirty seven digit password.
Speaker 1: Every once in a while the problem is, it seems to me, if my phone saves it, then fine, I don't care if it's a bunch of nonsense. You saved it and then you'll automatically fill it in the next time I use it.
Speaker 2: But then sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 1: And I didn't write down the fifty letters, numbers and shapes that I've never even seen before and don't know where to find them on the keyboard. Yeah, and I go between my phone and my iPad and my MacBook, and sometimes it doesn't like save it in a way that's effective, right, and feel free to write your email what I'm doing wrong. I'd appreciate it. But yeah, so it doesn't quite well. So I almost never go with it.
Speaker 5: I went with it the other day, and I've got kind of a feeling of foreboding that I've made a mistake.
Speaker 1: I feel like every day of my life I type in either my email address or my address or something like that. AI is not going to take over the world as long as I'm still doing that. I mean, how is it not just automatic that if I come to anything on a computer that I'm running, that it's got my address ready to go on my own device that I've piped it in eight thousand times this year, So.
Speaker 5: Come on, line, I need to talk about this at some point. I'm using AI a fair amount. Now, Oh really, yeah, chat GPT for a couple of things, research and cool, and I've actually created some silly images just to see how that worked, but mostly some reason to fine things. I was trying to remember the title of a book I read years ago about the partition of Pakistan and India, which was incredibly powerful MOBI moving moby Dick is correct. No, actually it's not. It has the curious title of Ice Candy Man. But you were also published in the US as Cracking India.
Speaker 1: But so you were able to just say, what's the name of the book about the partition of Indian and Pakistan?
Speaker 2: And it gave you some options.
Speaker 5: It gave me a longish list, and one of them was Ice Candyman, which I thought sounded somewhat familiar. Came out in nineteen ninety one, and so I asked it for or more information on that book, and it gave me a plot summary and the main characters and stuff, and I said, bingo, that's it. And there were zero stupid sponsored irrelevant to Google results.
Speaker 1: It was really handy.
Speaker 2: Huh that is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really we all should be using AI more, I think for a variety of things.
Speaker 2: I need to get into that.
Speaker 1: Everybody I know like, once you dabble in it really really finds it helpful, you know.
Speaker 5: And this is going to shorten the campus Madness update, but I can't resist. I was reading this piece about Donald Trump wanting to reopen Alcatraz, and it starts with kind of a criticism of how silly and impractical that is. We've all heard why it'll never happen. I bet he hasn't thought about it for one second since he said it, right, it went into some of the history of Alcatraz that's pretty interesting. It wasn't open for very long, and it was more or less a publicity stunt because it could be seen by the people in the press in San Francisco, and it was, you know, a prohibition and jed Gar Hoover's cracking down on al Capone and the rest of it, and it just it was super dramatic.
Speaker 1: It only operated for what was it twenty.
Speaker 5: Six years or something like that before they said this is too expensive, this is crazy, we got to stop this, and so it closed down. But then the Washington Post had comments, of course, and it gave me the option for read comments, and I did, and it begins with an AI summary of the comments on the article, and I will read that to you now. The comments overwhelmingly criticized President Donald Trump's idea of reopening Alcatraz as a modern prison, describing it as an impractical, costly, and influenced by outdated cultural references idea. Many commenters expressed disdain and for Trump's leadership, suggesting that his ideas are often impulsive and lack substance. Hu I had noticed that some humorously suggested that Trump himself should be the first inmate at Elcatra as we're to reopen. Overall, the comments reflect a strong disapproval of the proposal and skepticism about Trump's decision making abilities. So it's like, well, thank you for summarizing all those angry keyboard Warrior anonymous trolls.
Speaker 1: And of course I left leaning interpretation of it from my eye, because yeah, it's always going to be that way, I guess, you know.
Speaker 5: Maybe we'll talk more about that in the One More Thing podcast that we do after the radio show. But Campus Madness Update is only moments away, friends, stay with us.
Speaker 1: I just came across a great new book that's coming out from Jason Riley. About the black family in America, and he's a black guy who gets to write it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have to talk about that in an hour four. Stay tuned.
Speaker 5: It's a very blunt way to assert that, Jack, But I know exactly what you mean. Yeah, that's true. Yeah, Jason Riley's is brilliant. Love to hear about that. So it's time for campus Madness Update. Everybody breaks yourselves.
Speaker 2: Oh, what's happening.
Speaker 1: There's some serious madness. Oh my god, I'm threatened and disconcerted.
Speaker 5: I wanted to start with the curious case of Alan Garber, the president of Harvard University, the new one who's an actual scholar and a thoughtful Jewish man, which factors into the summit. He's done a couple of big time interviews recently. I'm both in the Wall Street Journal in the New York Times, and the headline is, really, the president of Harvard is fighting the Trump administration tooth and nail and agrees with them. It's interesting stuff. A couple of takeaways from the Wall Street Journal interview, For instance, Garber is quite blunt in saying students at Harvard no longer feel comfortable disagreeing with each other or the professors, they have ideological lockstep, and it bothers him a lot. When he first arrived at Harvard, Is an undergrad in nineteen seventy three, said he found quote a place where people debated freely. He and classmates shot the breeze with people of all viewpoints. We are happy to argue with one another. It was a time that shaped me and I think everyone else who was there then, Bob so not what it's like now or right Upon returning to Harvard is provost. In twenty eleven, Garber noticed the spirit of healthy disagreement from his undergrad days had disappeared, and again not diminished somewhat, or was not as strong as it had No, it had disappeared. It's something that concerns him in his colleagues.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 5: Students today find it much harder to have conversations with one another about difficult subjects, particularly with someone they don't know well, with whom they might disagree. And to me, that is a big loss. Well that has to do with I won't use the fancy term, but the constantly expressed idea that there are only two sides, good and evil. You pick good, or you are an evil person. And we will persecute you. That is the spirit on college campuses. It's not open inquiry and curiosity.
Speaker 1: It's the opposite of that.
Speaker 5: Garber goes on to say he knows the university has a perception problem with the general public, driven by a view that Harvard doesn't care about swaths of America and that is overly liberal. I would call it progressive. We've had some real problems we should address, he says. He says, I really understand the resentment that people can feel when they think the problems are not taken seriously people.
Speaker 1: That's something we absolutely must have dressed you, because I think it's clearly true. Is why people have that view. That's most of it.
Speaker 5: Yes, to diversify the faculty, the university is seeking to hire people with an intellectual range, even a visiting fellow company campus for a few weeks, whatever it takes. When it comes to teaching, quote, part of what we need to make sure is that in the classroom in other settings, we promote the idea that it doesn't matter what your personal views are. You need to teach it in a way that is fair to multiple points of view. And furthermore, you need to enable students to speak up when they have a perspective that is different from the mainstream. Asked how many faculty voted for Trump, for instance, Garber replied, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I have an idea. I have our good idea, Allan.
Speaker 1: But again, I'm not gonna attack the guy because he might be about as good as it gets right now. He also was.
Speaker 5: Quite blunt in saying, yeah, Harvard has and has had for a long time, a serious anti Semitism problem. Nonetheless, the other day Harvard put out a report on anti semitism with a report on anti Muslim bias on campus. The progressive view that if we're forced into giving you peanut butter, we're gonna give you jelly, even though there's very little jelly to worry about and nobody asked for it.
Speaker 1: But we've got to We.
Speaker 5: Can't talk about anti semitism unless we throw in a little anti Muslim bias. Anyway, he is an interesting case and again, probably as good as it gets right now.
Speaker 1: But I've got to throw this in.
Speaker 5: From the New York Times article, Baba Bah in the eyes of mister Trump and many Republicans.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: It's the classic Republicans pounce It's not that Harvard and other elite universities have become echo chambers. It's that mister Trump and many Republicans are saying they become echo chambers because he can't ever admit conservatives are right in the liberal press, a place where students develop intolerance for political perspectives different from their own and shield themselves against any opposing ideas. University leaders often say that criticism exaggerates the issue. Your faculties like ninety three percent progressive. So at what point is it a real problem we should be worried about, not exaggerated, when it's one hundred percent the rarely seen one hundred and seven percent.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you could exaggerate the current situation exactly.
Speaker 1: It's almost everybody right exactly. Well, I won't be labor the point you made it quite well.
Speaker 5: Another headline, racial discrimination persists at UCLA Medical School as federal investigation is underway. Documents show Department of Health Services has launched a civil rights investigation into UCLA's medical School, investigating with the school's admission to office discriminates based on race. It does, it absolutely does, It does intentionally and out loud. The medical schools circulated a memo just last month that outlined quote guiding principles for student representation on the admissions committee. Those guidelines require the committee to consider race and LGBTQ at bipock in the rest of it when a weighing admissions. It's utterly unconstitutional and ridiculous and obvious. Another Campus Madness headlines slight pivot here you see Berkeley, yet another California elite institution, received six figure donations from CCP officials.
Speaker 1: That's your Chinese Communist Party.
Speaker 5: I wish we had more time to flesh this out, but the American elite universities will take all the money they can from Cutter, for instance, to push pro Islamist propaganda and China, including a two hundred and twenty million dollar government investment in UC Berkeley from a guy banned because he's a Commie agent.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Didn't even get to the professor at the University of Chicago who published midterms and instead told students to go to an anti Trump protest.
Speaker 1: Campus Madness got to clean it out. Armstrong and Getty