Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from biggiees Balls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being remembered by casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains. Ron Shelton, I love that every day is a surprise, expect the unexpected.
Speaker 2: Nothing says the same.
Speaker 1: Like a basketball player that pivots through their moves, we need to learn how to pivot through life, Pivot through the obstacles, pivot through the hurdles, and the most important.
Speaker 2: Thing is to know that this too shall pass.
Speaker 1: And this is a teachable lesson, a teachable moment today, I will continue lifing in good spirits. Before we get started, I like to remind everyone to go to Krackical Network to view seasons one and two of my show Inside the Black Box that I co host with the great Emmy Award winning Joe Morton. Look out for news on season three soon. Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore.
Speaker 2: I am always excited to.
Speaker 1: Meet legends, living legends, people that I am standing on their shoulders proudly and prayerfully and a good light because they paved the way. And these are people that you need to know and honor in this industry. And this woman, all I can say is that she is multi hyphenated and we it's a blessing that we'll be able to get all of us in but radio and television personality celebrity media coach and so so so many more. Oh my god, ladies and gentlemen, I want you to put your hands together, stand up for Deanna William.
Speaker 2: No, that's you, that's you. You. No, you sit down comfortably. We stand it up for you. Good day. Unbelievable. When I first read everything about you, it's.
Speaker 1: Not enough to squeeze into twenty eight minutes, And nor would I want to, because I would want to honor every step of your career.
Speaker 2: There's so many.
Speaker 1: Things that are important that especially this younger generation needs to know. And the first question that spirit said Tracy asked her is what type of work ethic do you need to accomplish.
Speaker 2: What you have and continue to accomplish in this industry? Well, according to my children, my grown children.
Speaker 3: And you need to have more time because my children are now telling me, and they're in their forties, Mama, you know you aren't there.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 3: I'm like, excuse you, young people, grown up? When I was seeing a concert, where were you? I asked my daughter this the other day? She said in the wings? Mommy, I said, and how long was I on stage?
Speaker 2: Only a few minutes?
Speaker 3: Or we were in your dressing room, or we were in the studio or we were home with Daddy.
Speaker 2: But I'm getting adult complaints that.
Speaker 3: Diligence, hard work and more time and learning of balance because if I had.
Speaker 2: To do it all over again, which you don't get.
Speaker 3: Dueovers, right, Just a very strong work ethic, diligence to accomplish whatever the mission is that.
Speaker 2: You have set out for yourself and your team.
Speaker 1: I just want to talk because you've accomplished in one lifetime at least. And I know people have said this like ten lifetimes, maybe more careers.
Speaker 2: You know, like what is and work ethic is so important.
Speaker 1: But to hold that vision of yourself in every aspect, how do.
Speaker 2: You do that well?
Speaker 3: I've been inspired by my achieving parents. My mother, a college professor, taught nursing. Public health was her area of specialty. She also was part of the team that contributed to writing the hippo laws when we go to the hospital of the doctor's office, our privacy. My mother was part of that team and she herself was a very very hard worker. So from observation of my parents of setting goals and achieving, my parents had goals very early and they married as teenagers. Home they bought a car, you know, the American dream, things that most of us pursue. So I learned from my mother's mother, who helped to raise me, was a homemaker.
Speaker 2: But what a profession.
Speaker 3: What a great cook and homemaker and attent to her family's needs, A righteous profession that we downplay in the different times. I come from a family of achievers, of of thinkers and doers, and they instilled in me the values and principles of dream.
Speaker 2: And you can achieve and do the work, and you can make it happen. And you've done the work.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about your love for music, because just in reading about you and your bio, I could feel your love and passion about music, Tracy that.
Speaker 2: Comes from my father.
Speaker 3: My father grew up and called Pepper Virginia in the South, and he was the music lover. Not to say my mother did not like music, because she does. I caught her singing the other day. But my father listened to the radio all the time and was in tune to the music of the times. So I heard Motown, I heard you name it. I heard it because my daddy was playing it in the house on the radio and in our car. So that instilled and planted the seeds and me for an appreciation, I might add more than an appreciation because it's it's a higher level than that. It's a passion, It's an obsession and a passion to get the majesty of black music, the culture that we have elevated, first of all created here in America, and that we've been all over the planet.
Speaker 2: And I might add tracy to other galaxies.
Speaker 3: Black music and soul is a yes, yes where throughout wherever there is life, black music is present and culture the culture that goes, which is the language, the fashion. I mean, you name it TikTok is on black dance and black people.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Talk about that enough, But that's the truth I have to say.
Speaker 1: And especially with I don't know if it's because of Chris Brown with sensation.
Speaker 2: But this viral effect of.
Speaker 1: African beats and the movement of African authentic African movement, Everybody, I mean everybody is embracing that movement right now.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable how and I understand.
Speaker 3: But African music at the core, it is at the root when you consider that our ancestors were brought from the motherland in France, Africa. So the beat the presence the DNA, I should say of Africa is it is, It's and it's inside of all the genres gospel, R and B, jazz, hip hop. Black is African rooted?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Your voice is so trusting and cuity tell us how your radio career took off the beginnings, and because there's this thing about radio right and we don't have it as much as we used to in a sense of you know, I miss so many.
Speaker 2: Of my radio personalities.
Speaker 1: And you were from WBLS to kiss When I first came here, I was in eighty three.
Speaker 2: I was introduced to Franky Cracker and.
Speaker 1: So what because there's a different relationship that an audience has with a radio personality and we don't see you and we don't.
Speaker 2: Really kind of interact. What is that?
Speaker 1: And how can if we have future you know, VJs on right now, how do they how do they train?
Speaker 2: What is the protocol for that?
Speaker 3: Well, I would say so for me, I've been doing radio since nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 2: I've been doing it for a minute.
Speaker 3: And when I first started, there were very few black women in the in radio and broadcasting. There were two however that I got to listen to frequently. I grew up in Harlem in New York. I'm a name of New Yorker, although I've been in Philadelphia, which is.
Speaker 2: Well Philly too. Philly love Philly as well.
Speaker 3: But Kricky Crocker, when you mentioned him, he hired two women, Lamar Renee and Vy Higginson. And those were the two that I listened to first on w l IB FM before it became WBLS one oh seven point five, where I work when I turned twenty one. But I started at my broadcast career in Washington, DC. When I'm talking about when I got a check on the regular with.
Speaker 2: Help, that's important, yes it is.
Speaker 3: But the two women that I heard, and the woman that inspired me and motivated me the most tracy was by Higginson, who, from her theater background with directing and producing, Mama I want to sing on her sister Doris Troy. Just One Look was her big hit record, and so By Higginson is my person. And then very early in my career at w h R, I met a woman who would become one of the biggest imprints on me character wise, personally and professionally.
Speaker 2: And her name is Kathy Hughes.
Speaker 3: Kathy Hughes is the owner of Radio one, Urban one, TV one, most things with the one in it, including the dollar bill.
Speaker 2: Okay, she's got lots of those.
Speaker 3: And she and I met in nineteen seventy three when I started a whur and she is still to this day one of my biggest inspirations and a best friend as well.
Speaker 2: Wow, Kathy Hughes.
Speaker 1: When you both actually you and Kathy hust But in navigating through this industry in nineteen seventy two, how challenging was it as a black woman and what changes do you see today?
Speaker 2: Well, it was very challenging, Tracy.
Speaker 3: When I started, there were, like I said, very few women, and we didn't have the internet, so I had to go to the library to do research when I was sending my audition tape to black oriented radio stations around the country, and women then were not given the same level of consideration that they are given now. Back in the seventies, you would never put two women back.
Speaker 2: To back on the station. That just was.
Speaker 3: It was almost like an unspoken over to taboo. But now there are stations where you'll hear women in the morning do a morning drive to women back to back on the air for instance, here in Philadelphia wdas Patty Jackson has been on the radio for over thirty five years, and following her is another veteran, Frankie Darcel, who was really big in Detroit but has been in Philadelphia for the last decade. They're on back to back. That would have never happened when I first started in radio. So things have changed enormously, and again I would have to say with technology and the Internet, it changed things radically in radio, as you well know, Tracy. Now people can get their music through streaming services from Amazon Music, title, Apple Music, Bob. You know, people have options and even radio stations that they can program themselves or create playlist.
Speaker 2: So the landscape and.
Speaker 3: Radio is very different now than it was when I first started five decades ago.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to ask.
Speaker 1: You, because of music, your music background, what happened to R and B. I feel like something happened in the early nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, something did happen.
Speaker 3: It was called the hybrid and the merging of genres, and that merger was Mary J.
Speaker 2: Blige, R and B, hip hop soul.
Speaker 3: You know, at the beginning of more rap artists utilizing hooks, and R and B singers like Faith Evans. Even she was the first lady of bad Boy Records. She sang straight up R and B. But then her husband Biggie Small's hip hop and the elevation of artists like Tupac Nas jay Z. The list is long, and not very many women in that list, But the dominance of hip hop is what happened to R and B. And I might add that R and B has always continued. It continues to exist as artists in this generation like October London, Friday from Philadelphia, Jasmine Sullivan still exist. It's just the number one genre worldwide is hip hop music all over the planet and it's just such a strong, powerful genre that it even dominated rock music, which at one time was the prevailing genre. So that's what happened to R and B music. It got diminished, but it potent genre in my opinion. And listen, I listened to it all the time. I listened to everything I'm listening to day right and Andre Day has a beautiful new album called Cassandra Girl. I was in the shower the other day listening to the Kravitz album Okay, how is that? Highly recommended? Okay Okay?
Speaker 2: Long Eleve album.
Speaker 3: And he felt in my house play it for me anytime he wants.
Speaker 2: Okay, you and Gail King.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying because out the way, Gail go go on, No, Sherry Shepherd is the one we got to be concerned about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah yeah on Lenny Kravins. Yeah yeah, y'all got this a bitty world.
Speaker 3: I got a third but whatever, the album is great.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm definitely gonna pick up because I was like, I got to get the new Lenny Kravins. You coming from a family, really it feels like so much at first or being a part of like monumental events. What how are you inspired to be a part of the black creating Black History Month? Because I feel like, you know, we have allegedly Black History.
Speaker 2: Month that just really flies by. I mean I.
Speaker 1: Don't feel I feel closer and more in tune with black music, yeah than I do Black Music Month than I do with Black History. So what was the inspiration? Because thank you so much, thank you for being a part and highlighting our music.
Speaker 3: Well, Black History Month is twenty eight days, that's why you might feel.
Speaker 2: So connected to it.
Speaker 3: And every year they recycled the same black Yeah, when the reality is there's so many more people living and who have transitioned that have made sizeable contributions to not.
Speaker 2: Just black history, American history.
Speaker 3: We know that American history and black history are one and the same, or although it's gotten diminished in our educational system teaching people about the contributions of black people. But to answer your question, Tracy, that it first must go to my ex Kenny Gamble, one of the architects of the Sound of Philadelphia with his partners.
Speaker 2: Leon Hot and Tom Bell.
Speaker 3: But it was Kenny Gamble who thought of the idea of having a month where we can highlight.
Speaker 2: It doesn't do that. After June we forget about black music. No, because we wake up to black music.
Speaker 3: We were driving in the car when we go to the dentist's office, the supermarket, you're hearing black music all day long, and it is used by major companies to sell us everything from toothpaste to beer, to cars and anything else that a consumer can purchase. So it was initially Kenny's idea. We were together at that time, we were a couple, we have three children, and he it was his idea and I ran with it even further to the point where many years after the establishment of Black Music I went to the White House as President Bill Clinton to host an event much like Presidentjimmy Carter had done June seventh, seventy nine on the south lawn of the White House. Jimmy Carter was the first American president to declare June Black Music Month, at the instigation of the Black Music Association, also established by my ex Kenny Gamble, and it's being re energized and reimagined right now by our oldest son, Khalif Gamble. He is revitalized Black Music Association. So that happened in nineteen seventy three. However, the White House encouraged me to get legislation saying you Black Music Month. I was able to do that after several years of knocking on doors, writing letters on Capitol Hill, walking into congressional and senatorial offices, the process of lobbying. But I will tell you this much, Tracy, I'm a pretty passionate sister when it comes to Black folk and our music in particular. And after several years of lobbying, I was successful, working with Congressman Shaka Fatav and Senator Arlen Spector, who by the way, was a Republican senator who gave his support to me, Wow, and we got it passed. And every American president since has issued a proclamation urging American citizens to show appreciation of our culture.
Speaker 2: And black music.
Speaker 3: And it's one of my proudest, most proud moments. So ed wright, Kenny Gamble, myself, his partner Leon Huff very supportive of the movement. And it is an opportunity for all of us. If you have a pulse, it's an opportunity for you to celebrate and recognize because you're a consumer and your part celebration of black music.
Speaker 1: Mom, I mean, I just honor you. I'm so grateful that you know, I know it wasn't easy, and I know it's something that you have to and especially government, you have to stay on and be persistent.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate love that.
Speaker 1: On your journey and they and just like you said at the appreciation, you know it's not when you think about the contributions of black people in America, you know, it's about being acknowledged, It's about being appreciated.
Speaker 2: It's about you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know, not taking the credit and you know, being greedy about sharing and wanting other people to prosper as well. So, and I have a homework assignment that you would love in my class, and I asked the actors to put together the soundtrack for their life. And yeah, and I do all the assignments I did in myself when I used to be on the road with my clients on films and traveling all the time. You know, I needed like this music at six o'clock, well four o'clock.
Speaker 2: In the morning to get me going and get my mind right.
Speaker 1: Brownstone, If you Love Me, that was my song that just got me, you know, in the car, out the house, and then you know, just sort of shaped it as that, you know, I have a go to that just guaranteed.
Speaker 2: So that's something that we do and I love doing that.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like music, especially in film and TV, is a character, you know, and what however we put it under the bed of the scene, it could drive the scene, scare you whatever. So I agree, music is just an amazing part of our life. It's every aspect. But I think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a universal language that's overstood by people.
Speaker 2: I have gone.
Speaker 3: I remember when I first traveled to Japan, I was producing a USO tour with Philip Bailey, the lead singer of earth Wind, and we were there with a fire. We were there to entertain the troops. We went to five military installations and Guam and when we landed. When I landed, immediately I saw Japanese people singing lyrics to black music. But these people didn't they couldn't speak the language, but they so the feeling, the thief and the energy of the music conveys same thing. When I went to Brazil, I landed in Rio, and what did I hear? I heard earth Wind and Fire as soon as I landed. When I got out of the airport, I was like I went to Senegal into Akra and Ghana that I hear I heard American hip hop music.
Speaker 2: It's mind blowing when.
Speaker 3: You travel and you ask our music and you see and.
Speaker 2: You feel our culture awful.
Speaker 3: So I know that being an actor of this for our music and our culture is the right God I got fitted. God fitted me in that position to be an advocate. Naturally, it's my skill set with desire and passion and biess to advocate for this incredible force that we call black music and culture.
Speaker 1: And you know, again, we're so grateful to you because it sets, you know, with with everyone specifically you know, uh, these governors who are going into schools and taking out books and languages and history. It's so important that we hold on to our music history because there was It's the pulse of who we are, you know.
Speaker 3: And Duke Ellington, It's the Lena Horns, it's the sound, and it's the Grover Washington's. It's all of these great people who give us literally what I would describe as the soundtrack to our lives. It's like you described waking up hearing Brownstone.
Speaker 2: I actually know who the person who wrote that song. Oh I love that song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great it's.
Speaker 2: A great motivating song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all any think about it falling in love. When you fall in love, you and your partner usually have our song. Why have our song? And even when you break up with somebody, you have that that heartbreak song that you keeping to over again to try to get you through the heartbreak up. For big events, for sporting events, we have you know, black music, we have Cooling, the Gang, Celebrate, Celebration, cear sometimes come on, we have Frankie Beverly and May's Joy, My Sunshine and Rain, the speak to the reality of our existence as human beings in this time and place.
Speaker 1: This has been such a beautiful, soulful interview that it's just touched me in so many different ways. And again, when you are having challenging times, to you just that reminder of how you can tap into that song and then you know it makes everything okay. So you know that those good gospel songs. My god, it's crazy, Yolanda Adams. I was listening to Yolanda Adams in the car the other day a song that was produced and written by Jimmy Dam and Terry Lewis, and I was like, I open Up my Heart is the name of the song.
Speaker 3: Opened my Heart.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love that song.
Speaker 3: There's a song for every occasion when you're going to bring you up, when you're up to take you even higher, like Sly and the Family Stone said I want to take you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean music shaped me like Chaka Khan, Gladys to Night, all of them spoke to my spirit and my soul and continue, I am so grateful and so honored to have you on. This interview is going to touch and really, you know, there's so much pride in listening to your accomplishments and how you continue to represent and hold our history and revere you know how our music history culture affects the world. You have three minutes, whatever, Jules, do you want to drop for these listeners.
Speaker 2: I know, let me see.
Speaker 3: That's that's a rough one for me.
Speaker 2: I know, very verbos one.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you for an opportunity to share with your audience on your podcast. You are legendary in the theater world, and the assistance that you give to up and coming as well as established actors is so important. I want to mention that I'm on the board of the National Museum of African American Music in Nashville, Tennessee. Website is n MAAM dot org, or you can as Black Music Museum, and I want to encourage people to visit. I'm actually taking my whole family on a family trip next week of Music Month. But I also want to encourage people to celebrate Black Music Month.
Speaker 2: And how do you do that? Support live music?
Speaker 3: Go check out a show, a concert, Support these musicians, these singers by buying their merch going to their shows, supporting them on their social media, reading to your children books about black musicians, black artists. I have a little section in my book library for my grandchildren with books about black music, and I'm reading it to them all the time. I'm also asking them, what are you listening to? Who do you like? Because it's not a one way thing. We have to take young people sometimes, you know, we're like, oh, I can't stand that music. Now what are they listening to? Try to get into it and listen with them and then exchange what you like to listen to Black This Month is an opportunity for us to elevate and celebrate our culture and join organizations like nay Ma'am, the organization the Music that I just mentioned, and other music organizations. Today, I donate it to an organization here in Philly call World Cafe Live. They have an educational program that teaches young people. I made a donation. Do what you can to sell music education in schools. Write your school board, tell them put music back in. When we were talking, Tracy, we have to take music, Yes we did. We had to take gym. These were standard things that everybody had. So I want to encourage people to celebrate and elevate Black music and our culture every chance you get, not just doing all month.
Speaker 2: Ben Well and We're gonna do it forever.
Speaker 1: But every time we think of we're in June, we're gonna think of you and continue to be grateful.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're not going anywhere yet.
Speaker 1: Else is gonna come on and introduce two spirited actors who have questions for you.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, thank you so much for coming on. Deana A welcome knowledge always always, So today we have two of our spirited actors. We have Miss Melissa Meyers. Welcome, Melissa, you can come on camera. And we have Miss Pretenda. Yes, hello, Latina, Melissa, you can ask you a question first.
Speaker 2: All right, awesome.
Speaker 5: My heart is smiling from inside out. Not only do I love Tracy, but Miss Williams you. It's such a pleasure to meet you.
Speaker 6: Like this is so awesome.
Speaker 4: I'm trying not the fangirl here.
Speaker 2: Girl, fanggirl, I do it all the time.
Speaker 3: I was fangirl Jareka Duncan the other day at Patty Labelle's birthday party.
Speaker 2: Girl, go ahead, it's all good.
Speaker 3: I received.
Speaker 6: I wanted to tell you I have two comments really quick.
Speaker 5: I went to the Nashville Museum of National Black Music, and it was not just a museum, but it was an experience, and I keep telling everybody you have to go. So when you said that, I just I just lit up because I just remember being in there and just seeing all the things, how they take you from the beginning to the end of music that keeps going. And it's just they have so many interactive things that you can do inside of that so you can feel like you're a part of the music.
Speaker 2: So it's it's actually awesome.
Speaker 3: I was real to hear that you go. I love meeting people and getting feedback. It's a fifty six thousand square foot seven gallery museum in the heart of downtown Nashville, Fifth and Broadway. On one side is the Bridgestone Arena and on the other side is the original Grande ol Lopry also known as the Ryman Order Tour. And we're in the heart of Nashville, and people ask me all the time why Nashville. Nashville a rich legacy. The first superstars, the Fi Jubilee Singers, were superstars in Europe and in the United States. Nashville gospel music a big community, and even people like.
Speaker 2: Jill Scott, my sister from North Philly, moved down to Nashville.
Speaker 3: So it is a thriving Jimmy Hendrix was down there playing in the late sixties, Nashville rich and country music we created. Can I just say it again, country music, It didn't start with Carter, Cowboy, Cowboy Carter. It didn't start there, It started a long time ago. Black people have been there. They just got suppressed. White people started calling it hillbilly and country music and just exed out the influence of black people on them and their version of country music. So I'll stop there because I get very passionate about the music in Nashville.
Speaker 5: Awesome, Thank you so much. So my question, what advice would you give someone who has set goals for themselves but are feeling stuck and does not know what to do or how to get over that?
Speaker 2: Home love your question.
Speaker 3: I am a big goal setter.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm a daily to do person. But more importantly, when I was way younger, when I was seventeen eighteen, I did my goals for the next five years of what I wanted to achieve, and girl, guess what, God is good.
Speaker 2: I accomplished everything.
Speaker 3: And it was a list that was a combination of professional as well as personal. That balance that I talked about when Tracy and I first started our conversation. And if you're stuck, you must find a mentor. He or she can help you navigate the currents of your disappointments or the closed doors or the consistent no. You know, I have great regard for actors because you put yourself out constantly for rejection or acceptance, and that's got to be daunting to go up for jobs and hope you get it and then have to wait.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many actors say I auditioned.
Speaker 3: Five six times, waited six months before they came back and said no or yes.
Speaker 2: That's got to be daunting.
Speaker 3: So I would say, believe in God, believe in yourself. If you don't believe in yourself, other people are not going to believe in you. And I will tell you this. In the beginning of my career.
Speaker 2: I was so confident.
Speaker 3: Again, it derived from God, because I'm a God fearing person and I was taught a lot about God. I grew up in a god spiritual family, and I also had parents that were like my father. His name was Papa George. We called him Papa George. He said, anything that the mind can conceive and believe, you can achieve it, and it remains my mantra, so self, a mantra that's going to pick you up when you feel down and you feel stuck, and you feel unheard and unseen, and girl, keep at it. Just you know, my best friend who I mentioned earlier, Kathy Hughes, was turned down for a bankload over a bank loan over thirty two times. The thirty third time.
Speaker 2: It was a Puerto Rican woman banker that gave her a loan.
Speaker 3: Now imagine most people would have gotten daunted after maybe three nos four, but thirty something and guess what she is now? Her company Urban One is the biggest urban broadcast company in the world.
Speaker 2: That you got Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 3: And then you've got Kathy Hughes. But if she had been deterred by the nose, she would have never gotten to her. Yes, so be persistent. Net weave with people who are doing it, who are in the game, to give you encouragement and tell you their pathways. I'm also a bit biography and autobiography. I love reading about accomplished people. So you know, read read, Read somebody that's going to motivate you. Read Michelle Obama, read, you know, read the classics and that will help you get unstuck into the other side own claim your success.
Speaker 2: And your destiny.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: So very welcome.
Speaker 4: Hi, thank you Retina. What's your question?
Speaker 6: Hi? Thank you guys so much for having me.
Speaker 7: And I loved when you were talking about Shaka Khan because it just reminded me of when I was a kid. My mom used to play that through the whole house whenever she was cleaning.
Speaker 6: We'd be singing to it.
Speaker 4: So wait a minute, here we go.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 3: Okay, when you say Shaka God, I wrote this story. I did an interview with Shaka last year. She was turning seventy. I was turning seventy. She'd been in the business fifty years. I've been in fifty years. And when my editor told me that I had the cover story. This is my first magazine. This is a music industry publication. But when I learned that I had the cover story and girl, who's about seven eight pages, I was like, oh, and here's look, here's a picture of me and Shaka that from back in the day, because you can see different color back in the day.
Speaker 2: So I'm a big Chaka con fan.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, share that I love it.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, let just gave me goosebumps because I love Shaka Khan. This is awesome.
Speaker 7: My question is, so, I know you offer a lot of tailored programs to individuals based on their abilities, but I'm actually wondering if you have any general overall communications advice.
Speaker 6: I would kind of work for everyone, including actors as well.
Speaker 2: Great questions, wow, mind blowing questions. Yes, I say so.
Speaker 3: When I first started in radio, and I was going to mention this to Tracy when she was talking about my early days, I used to listen to by Higginson, who I mentioned, and word for word I would repeat, this is how I learned to get my cadence. I would repeat after her. And then I also watched newscasters and I would repeat after them to learn how to get the authoritative tone and approach in my voice. So that's one thing I would say. You know, thank goodness, y'all got the internet. I didn't have that, but you can do plenty of YouTube tutorials about public speaking, learning how to engage interact with people better read. Knowledge is power, and the more information that you have and that you can instill within yourself it's going to make you a stronger communicator. Recognize what your strengths and weaknesses are. For instance, one of my weaknesses, I'm not a concise person. I'm very verbose, and so I can keep girl. I can just keep it going. Even if you didn't ask me a question, I could just keep going. But learn, learn your strengths and your weaknesses.
Speaker 2: Are you strong?
Speaker 3: Are you strong in terms of eye contacting charisma? Are you strong in the messaging? Where are you strongest? Continue to develop those areas, and then when you know the things that you're weak, focus on how to improve upon those things.
Speaker 2: You can research it. If you know, for instance, that you're.
Speaker 3: Nervous, study techniques and strategies to help you overcome and which are useful for you as an actress. How do you the fear like, for instance, Barbara Streisand is one of the world's most incredible vocalist. Yeah, Barbara Streisand suffers from stage fright. How are you a container and a performer and you suffer from stage fright? Then also, I would suggest creating a mantra for yourself that is going to encourage you. Much like we were talking with Melissa earlier, something that's going to encourage you to be your best.
Speaker 2: Do your best.
Speaker 3: So whatever it is where you're weak, figure out how to work on it to get stronger. Talk to yourself in the mirror. Affirmations, Affirm yourself. Affirm that you can be a great public speaker. Affirm that you are going to connect with people in such a.
Speaker 2: Magnetic way that they're not going to forget you.
Speaker 3: They're going to remember you long after the physical interaction or even in this medium on a zoom. Decide what kind of JENESI qua that energy, that special magic that you want to convey to people and work at girl.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Wow, that is excellent, excellent, Jules.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys have your treasure chests open.
Speaker 3: First of all, are beautiful look at them?
Speaker 2: Yeah they are.
Speaker 1: And they're so talented and talented as in there, so I know we have a little Well, what we're going to do now is we're going to just take a quick break from the.
Speaker 2: Spirited Actor podcast with me Tracy Moore.
Speaker 1: We're going to come back with class and session and stay put you guys, because we are still so so blessed to have Deanna Williams is going to still be with us.
Speaker 2: Okay, so stay hiped.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, and you are still blessed to have Deanna Williams still here with us. Okay, so we're going to jump into this and you know how this works. We have a scene. We have two Spirited Actors and Elsa is going to come on and introduce and we'll just dive right in.
Speaker 4: Yes, So today in class in session, we have Miss Melissa Meyers. Welcome back to Melissa. And we have for the first time, Miss Britina Davis. Welcome Britina. So today's scene is grow Off Separate Ways, written by Lee and Mock Interior Larissa's play. Afternoon, Larissa and Taylor are having blunch in Larissa's edgy, ind esque Lower East Side apartment. It's been years, so Mitra, I made your favorite scrambled eggs with cream cheese, bacon, and.
Speaker 5: Stuffed French toast with maple sera.
Speaker 6: Oh man, I don't eat dairy anymore nor meat, but I didn't want you to feel bad, so I just packed my own lunch. Do you mind?
Speaker 2: Oh well, damn girl, you kind of told me.
Speaker 5: I even add I'm trying to watch my weight too, but I even added extra cream cheese for you.
Speaker 2: But you know what, It's fine, no worries. All good.
Speaker 6: That was really sweet though. Thanks.
Speaker 4: Taylor unloads her color organized label food containers.
Speaker 5: Of course, Well.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 5: I'll pull out our other Sunday tradition, mimosas with mango juice, mungo mungo, mungo, mungo mango.
Speaker 6: I thought you'd never say it.
Speaker 2: Bring them out, girl, I can't wait.
Speaker 4: Taylor proceeds to pull out an eleven dollar bottle of freshly pressed mango juice, so only in Whole Foods, and places it next to Larissa's two dollar bottle from Trader Joeics.
Speaker 6: I'm only doing organic now, so I'm wondering if you could just use mine instead. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Let me see that.
Speaker 4: Larissa reads the bottle in almost frames.
Speaker 5: Taylor, Uh, does this come with anything else?
Speaker 2: I mean, like a.
Speaker 3: Glass, diamond ship, a man.
Speaker 6: Good health?
Speaker 3: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: Let's just eat, Haley. Taylor promptly gets up to wash her hands.
Speaker 5: Hey hey, I don't know what Upper west Side Bootie therapists you have been going to, but this is the third time that you got up to wash your hands?
Speaker 2: Is everything? Okay?
Speaker 6: This is the season of the five piece.
Speaker 2: Single decay.
Speaker 6: Proper preparation prevents poor performance.
Speaker 2: Baby. That doesn't have anything to do with the Anganians.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm applying it to all aspects of my life.
Speaker 4: Rissa takes her first bite, while Taylor pulls out an empty spray bottle and starts spraying.
Speaker 7: Are you doing just keeping the air fresh and circulating?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: All right, either you gotta go or tell me what the hell.
Speaker 2: Happened to you? Mm hmmm, mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Do you mind if I call my therapist so she can chime in.
Speaker 2: I just need the moral.
Speaker 5: Support, ideals, meals, you know what I'm done, and I'm taking this million dollar bottle with me.
Speaker 4: She proceeds to make her call scene.
Speaker 3: All right, wow, I love it. So whenever you want, I would have to put you out, Taylor, you would have been uninvited like.
Speaker 2: A few scenes ago. I understand. Whatever advice do you want to give them. You know, I love the energy. I loved you, know your expressions, Alyssa.
Speaker 3: I love your because you were like, okay, like sister girl, and I felt you. I felt like I wanted to interject and even be part of the conversation. So I was with y'all and I was very annoyed by Taylor and her bouginess and everything else. So I thought it was wonderful and I wanted more. I wanted to know what's going to happen. I was waiting for when you were going to ask her a little girl. I think you know what, well, you said it.
Speaker 2: What's happened to? Like?
Speaker 3: Time for you to leave?
Speaker 2: This is you know.
Speaker 3: I went through this energy, this expense, and then you come in here with all these rules. I thought you were very convincing, as were you excellent?
Speaker 1: Excellent, Oh my god, and you are excellent. Once again, everyone please put your hands together for Diana William. Such a pleasure, is such an honor, such a made your major contribution to American music, black music history, and so many other things.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: You are amazing, Ecy, and to you and your team, to Miss Elsa, to our fabulous actresses, and to Andy and Spruce.
Speaker 2: Behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for having met on The Spirited Actor podcast with Tracy Moore on iHeart.
Speaker 2: Yay, I love it.
Speaker 1: You're gonna need to do our intros at outros So when we come back from the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I'm gonna give you some love. That's what I'm gonna give you. Welcome to Kudos Corner. Kudos Corner is where we celebrate our actors by supporting them, loving them, and introducing them to you. And this week's Kudos Corner puts the spotlight on Spirited Actor Gene Present.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: You've seen Gene across your TV screens in reoccurring roles on The Deuce and The Sinner, as well as co starring roles in Manifest, Blind Spot, Luke Cage, and The Unbreakable Kimmy Smith's Kimmy Versus the Reverend movie. In the theater world, Jane has led the plays String and Like Peeling an Onion from director Charles Curtis, and Black Wall Street from Shades of Truth. Kudos to Jean President du Junior, and now it's time to give love.
Speaker 2: This show is dedicated to a very very differend of mine, Morgan Spurlock. He passed away Thursday, May twenty third.
Speaker 1: I met him on a film called King Death in nineteen ninety three. I feel blessed to have been on his journey for so many years. He came to our last show of Inside the Black Box and I was so proud to introduce him to everyone on the set because he knew the vision from day one. He believed in me from day one. Morgan left an impact on my soul. Every time I think of him, I will continue to spread the love and the joy that he did. Every single time that I talked to Morgan, he always had this life is great, don't sweat the small stuff and just enjoy life. Tracy, I am so happy that Morgan blessed all of you with his creative work, his amazing talent, and his angelic spirit. Rest in peace, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thank you forever.
Speaker 1: Hi everyone, The Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy.
Speaker 2: Moore now has a YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: You'll get to see exclusive video footage from our podcast taping, as well as your favorite segments from the show. Make sure to like our videos, subscribe to our channel, and share with all your friends.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to also follow us on.
Speaker 1: Instagram at the Spirited Actor and at both Tracy Moore and at The Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy Moore on.
Speaker 2: Facebook and x.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on The Spirited Actor Podcast. With me, Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited podcast. Thank you,