Speaker 1: This is the Blueberg Dab, a curate podcast available every morning on Apple, Spotify or wherever you listen. It's Wednesday, the twelfth of June in London. I'm Caroline Hepkett.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen Carroll. Coming up today, the French finance minister warns of a Liz Trust type deck crisis if Mallion Le Penn's party wins upcoming parliamentary elections.
Speaker 1: Conservatives tell Bloomberg they believe there's little chance Rishi Sunak's manifesto tax cuts will shift the polls.
Speaker 2: Plus, as Italian Prime Minister Georgia Maloney's star keeps rising internationally, problems lurk back home. We have a special report.
Speaker 1: Let's start with a roundup of our top stories.
Speaker 2: France's finance minister has warned that his country could face a Liz Trust scenario of bond market turmoil if the far right were to win this month's parliamentary elections. Bloomberg's teaba at A Baio has more.
Speaker 3: Speaking at a campaign event, Bruno Lemaire suggested policies the National Rally Party of Marine le Penn have supported in the past, like cutting VAT or reducing the retirement a could cost billions of euros. His comments follow French President in Manuel Mecon's decision to call snap elections after his party was trounced by La Penz in European Parliament voting on Sunday. Prime Minister Gabriel Lettel and the President of the National Assembly at Yale Born Puvis are both opposed to the move, according to a person familiar with their thinking. In London, tiwa Adubayo Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: In the UK, Rishisunak's own party took aim at his manifesto, saying there is little chance that it will shift opinion polls. Ahead of the fourth of July, Bloomberg was told by multiple conservatives on the left to add right wings of the party that their election pitch lacks game changing policies. The Prime Minister had a message for skeptics at the manifesto launch.
Speaker 4: I'm not blind to the fact that people are frustrated with our party and frustrated with me. Things have not always been easy and we have not got everything right. Are the only party in this election with the big ideas to make our country a better.
Speaker 1: Live where she see. NAC's policy platform includes plans to cut national insurance tax, save twelve billion pounds by cutting welfare spending and a boost to defense spending.
Speaker 2: Labor Shadow Chancellor Rachel Reeves says the Conservative's desperate policies put the UK economy at risk.
Speaker 5: If they did believe that THEIRS sums added up, if they thought that they would get the all clear from the Office of Budget Responsibility, they wouldn't have put these plans in a manifesto. They would have put them in a budget. They know their numbers don't add up.
Speaker 2: Reeves will launch her rival manifesto tomorrow. It comes as former Labor leader Neil Kinnock has told Bloomberg his party would be wise not to overpromise on ruling out tax rises. He says the party, which is widely polled to be the next government, needs fiscal room for a reneuver.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg understands that the EU is poised to delay key parts of global bank capital rules by a year. The decision was reportedly taken to avoid putting European lenders at a disadvantage to their US counterparts because of wrangling over plans to make Wall Street banks hold more capital, which are not yet finalized, known as Basil III. The regulations are designed to prevent a repeat of the two thousand and eight financial crisis, but they are already running two years behind schedule. The EU is due to implement the rules on the first of January.
Speaker 2: The Federal Reserve is expected to hold interest rates steady today, a decision that will come just hours after May's CPI reading. The Fed will be looking for evidence that inflation is still moving down towards its two percent target, but markets will also be closely watching the projections for future inflation as part of the dot plot here Citadel's Global Hell of Rate Trading.
Speaker 6: Michael DePass the focus really will be on the FMC, and in particular, what does a dot plot show for the number of expected cuts for the rest of this year. Numbers obviously come down materially over the course of this year, and the markets split between I think somewhere between one and two cuts, so there'll be a little bit of a reaction whatever the outcome.
Speaker 2: Michael Depassas is also cautious about putting too much faith in the Fed's outlook beyond this year. We'll bring you the USCPI data live at one thirty pm London time follow by this FED decision at seven pm with Federal Reserve Charge your own powers that to speak thirty minutes later.
Speaker 1: The US is considering further restrictions on China's access to the chip technology used for artificial intelligence. Bloomberg has learned the measures would limit the country's ability to use chip architecture known as GAIT all Around, which promises to make semiconductors more powerful. Companies including Nvidia and Intel are looking to start using the design next year. Bloomberg's Nick Turner says that these potential sanctions aren't the same as previous restrictions.
Speaker 7: It's a little different than the earlier ones that really kind of focused on advanced chips, which is what in video cells or chip making equipment that's used to make it. This is really kind of trying to go after a chip architecture that's still kind of cutting edge and just being commercialized now and put into chips. It has potitial to make chips more powerful, and especially when they're applied to task like AI.
Speaker 1: Our senior technology editor Nick Turner, speaking there, President Biden is also expanding restrictions on the sale of chips and other technology to Russia, targeting third party sellers in China and elsewhere. An announcement on that is expected today. Now in a moment, we'll get more on the French election, plus focus on the rise of Italy's Prime minister as Georgia Maloney prepares to host the G seven leader's summit. But another story that caught our ray this morning as we've been thinking about the looming elections in the UK and Francis is Leonel laure who's been writing about TikTok and his experience on the app when he's been seeking out political content.
Speaker 2: So I mean it was a bit of a thought experiment, I think for Lionelle. He downloaded the app, signed up. First thing he looked for was Emmanuel Macron's official feed, watched the video of that, and then he just let the algorithm take him to whatever their suggested content was after that, and he says that he took it, took him down what can only be described as a very putent friendly rabbit hole. The first video said in bold letters that Macron had declared war on Russia by offering to train military instructures in Ukraine, while others attacked him for not inviting Russia to D Day ceremonies, and it sort of snowballed from there in terms of how disturbing the content got.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Lionel then contacted TikTok, who said the videos that he'd seen did breach their guidelines and they took them down. But this is, as l points out on the piece, the pressure chose, the pressure that's on the controls against disinformation on a platform like this, despite the fact they have thousands of people working on this, And he said it would be ludicrous for us to blame just technology for polarization and democracy or for misinformation, you know, which has been around for a long time before social media loaded. But he points to the dangers, the fact that more particularly young people are getting their news from TikTok, and the idea that you know, a democracy benefits from an informed electrician responsible speech. It's hard to shrug it off as neutral either, that there is this much disinformation flows around such a popular social media and outwork.
Speaker 1: Yes to do and look, it's about quantity and speed, isn't it in terms of miss and disinformation. But obviously in a year of such closely watched elections and so many of them around the world, I think this is going to be the year that is going to be widely analyzed. I mean, obviously in the UK election campaign, of course, you know all of the campaigning is online, but it takes time actually to understand what messages are hitting on social media. But it's pretty fascinating. I mean, even the Conservatives in the election manifesto yesterday we're talking about a ban or one of their pledges being a ban on phones for kids in schools. So you can start to see the social media impact actually an election campaign.
Speaker 2: Look, we've just given the surface of vitely now got into in the piece, but well worth a look at day down TikTok's disinformation rabbit hole. You'll find it at Bloomberg dot com for it slash opinion.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The French election campaign, of course, is heating up after Emanu and Macron's surprise announcement of a snap poll on Sunday night. Later today, the president will officially launch his party's election campaign, as the first poll indicates that he's trailing the far right party of Marine Le Penn Stephen, this is obviously a story that you've been following closely, you know, a longtime resident of France. You've looked at the politics for so many years. It's been a very rough start to the campaign though for President Macron's party by the looks of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, the announcement court almost to everyone, it seems afguard, including someone in Macron's own party, and they're having to get back into campaign note after a particularly bruising campaign that they've had for the European elections as well, and this time around many of those in the party are at risk of losing their own seats as well. And what we've been learning since the announcement is some of the most senior figure is in the Renaissance Party were opposed to the President's called to do this. One source telling Bloomberg that Prime Minister Gabriel l Tale and the President of the National Assembly Jael le Bron Pivey were also opposed to it. Lebron Privy actually saying in an interview that there were other options to calling an election, looking at things like coalitions that the president could have taken. One MP telling us that it was like Macron sending them into battle. The first poll that we've heard since the announcement won't help these things as well. It puts the far out party of the national Rally of Marie Leapenn on thirty five percent of the vote in the first round of the election, Macron and his allies on around eighteen percent. The left wing parties that they all got together would have around twenty five percent of the vote as well. There's a course of margin of error in this as well. It's also worth remembering that there's a two round election system in France, so you poll the first round makes it much more difficult to predict how the parties align themselves for runoffs that will happen in most constituencies a week later.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's interesting, But it's not just MP's as you've mentioned a number who are worried. It's also the markets who are looking more scared. Particularly they've certainly taken fright to some extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the selloff we've seen on Monday continued on Tuesday. The yield on ten year French bonds known as oats jump by as much as ten basis points. The spread over German bonds the safe having in Europe widened the highest level or to the widest level rather since the start of the COVID nineteen pandemic. On a closing basis. We saw U sell off at Italian bonds as well, so that's indicating the potential risk that investors are seeing affecting broader Europe Two equities down for a second day, a two day decline of two point seven percent. That's the biggest in a year. This is what Bruno la Maier was talking about when he spoke at that event in his former constituency in northern France. He says the policies the National Rally Party have put forward in the past, things like lowering the retirement age back to sixty in France. Cutting VAT for example, would cost hundreds of billions of euros. That's where he drew the comparison to Liz Truss, by the way and the guild market prices here in twenty twenty two, saying a Liz trust scenario is possible. We should expect to hear more of this from Macron's party during this campaign as well, but now in the first round or the thirtieth of June. But remember that Macron's own party have struggled at fiscal consolidation as well. Were expected to get the European Commissions verdict on France's public finances when finance ministers meet on the nineteenth of June. That's going to be a topic of discussion there as well. That could come at a very bad time. The latest economic forecast in the Bank of France not providing much comfort. They're seeing growth this year zero point eight percent, and they down graded the growth forecast for the next two years as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that on the economy of France. I mean we will here for Macwan later, I mean briefly on that the idea. He's been in power, what's seven years. There are rumors potentially that he might step down if the elections go badly.
Speaker 2: This was part of the market termol we saw yesterday. There was a report on one French media organization that he was considering stepping down if the results didn't go his way. He then spoke to the FIGUREO after that as well, saying that that wasn't the case. His position won't be affected by the result of these elections. He says that the institutions are clear, so is the place of the president whatever for the result. He says that it's not the national rally that rights the constitution. That doesn't mean that he's not under pressure though. We may see him face more questions like this later as well when he holds that press conference, and that's really his position is one of the key questions being watched internationally. If the national rally were to win this election, how does that affect Macron's position on the international side, and crucially within the European Union, where he's expected to play a leading role in the choreography that's playing as in Brussels over the next top jobs in the EU.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely well. She turned our attention then to that Stephen, because the Italian Prime Minister, Georgia Maloney is preparing to host G seven leaders in Apulia, of which Macron is one of course. But while she's focusing on the international stage, there are problems lurking for her back home, with allies that she can't quite trust and an economy operating on borrowed time. This as we speak to Italian politics correspondent Donato Paolo Mancini, who's joining us now from Rome and who's been writing about the challenges facing Georgia Maloney, another key player in Europe. Good morning at Donato, Georgia Maloney, the forefront of international events. Tell us about what has brought her to this point. I mean, now that she's been leader for a couple of years in Italy.
Speaker 8: Thanks so much for having me. Good morning. So we actually just published a story this morning that talks about how she has this incredible allure and how her rising star, how her star keeps rising internationally. She's getting ready to host a D seven Leaders of Summit leaders which some of leaders on which is where I am. I'm not actually in Rome. And she basically has this very strong reputation abroad, and she's worked really, really hard to attain it. She's brought on board people that were highly skeptical of her, like Macron, like Schultz. These people were intensely skeptical of her origins in the hard right essentially, and now she's become this very swift able, capable diplomatic operator. She's able to speak to everyone across political divides in the U. But at the same time there are issues lourking in the background. And the two main issues are the economy, which is Italy's eternal problem in a way. Italy has an immense public debt that is projected to keep expanding. It has a deficit which the European Union will soon put under the microscope, turning the attention to the dysfunctional economy of the country. And she's surrounded by people that she doesn't quite trust, that she respects, but doesn't quite trust enough to delegate to perhaps, and that has directly to do with the fact that she is a very tribalistic politician.
Speaker 2: So how important is the G seven meeting for her?
Speaker 8: Then it's micro break essentially, I think she knows so Judgmentley was voted in two years ago. She had been in opposition for a long time, had been seen as a fringe politician belonging to the hard rights. Two years ago, Italians catapulted her to the top of the polls made her Prime Minister. She is, in a way and a figure that doesn't belong to the establishment. She is from a working class background. She is she didn't go to university, for example, and these are things that she works with pride. And the problem is that now essentially she knows that this kind of juncture of events is coming at her. You have the economy that's not going well in the European Union that will soon turn its attention to what he's doing with the money, and so she needs all the good will she can muster, and she essentially needs the G seven to kind of cement this reputation as a swift diplomatic operator, was able to speak to everyone and who can be trusted essentially, because if difficult political decisions are coming down the line, and that's seen as essentially a certainty from the sources that we've spoken to, then she will need a lot of leeway to keep both her voters happy but her allies happy as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's easy to see the sort of the parallels between France and Italy, or the comparisons between Georgia Maloney and potentially Marine Lapin about whether you know, a far right leader can moderate and can operate in government. I mean in terms of Italy specifically, though, some of the issues that you're talking about about debt and leadership and the role within Europe and those aren't those aren't new.
Speaker 8: No, those aren't too luckily new. That's a very good observation.
Speaker 5: I Mean.
Speaker 8: There's one thing to say, which is they think the judgment only kind of has softened her stance on many things. She's become an orthodox in foreign policy. She is completely mainstream for certain things. So I think government has softened her. There was another figure that was as charismatic as her, whose main I mean, there were several headaches for this person, and it's Severe Bodle Scorni, the late Severe Bootlescornie who founded fust to Italia back in the nineties and his government ended abruptly in twenty eleven because of debt. Now, to be completely clear and to be sure, we're not in the same situation, Italy has stabilized its debt. It stabilized the spread, which is a differential with German sovereign debt. Essentially that gives investors a measure of how sustainable it is in the long term. But the problems are still the same. The structural issues within Italy in its economy are still the same, and it seems like every leader that surpasses the two year harmark at some point has to deal with them. And so what Jorjaminally is trying to do now, she's trying to kind of use the strategy that she's used to kind of soften her stance and diplomatic issues on foreign policy by saying, well, the problem with debt is that because of Italy's structure of power, essentially we keep having governments that are unstable, and so I want to make the prime minister's off of the prime minister's position more powerful. Therefore, if you make me more powerful, she won't need to referend them to do this. Most likely, then debt will likely go down, which is I think a very interesting experiment and testament of her political skills.
Speaker 2: I think, I mean, does she have the political capital to be able to pull off something like that, because you know, as you say, we're used to the instability that leaders can face kind of all of a sudden. So can Georgia Manoni pull something like that off.
Speaker 7: That's a good question.
Speaker 8: Look, if she look at her peers, I think she's the only one that's emerged from the European election over the weekend with on the front foot. Right, there's been a massive like break across Europe. The whereas Italian's voting for the European Parliament essentially said, look, we're happy with the status. Quote, sure, let's give Georgian couple more percentage points in the polls. Your position has also surged, but it's still second, it's still the runner up. So I think she might actually have the political stability to do that. Internally, and I think what matters to her now is that she gets that good will solidified in Europe. So when she needs the leeway necessary to keep her voters happy but also kind of keep her allies happy, she's got kind of the groundwork to do that.
Speaker 2: Essentially, this is Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, your morning brief on the stories making news from London to Wall Street and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed every morning on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning on London Dab Radio, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty Caroline Hepka.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen Carol. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak Europe