Speaker 1: This is going to be the spookiest Halloween ever. We are even making a haunted house to scare the whole neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Spooky indeed.
Speaker 3: And are your costumes ready?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm going to be a zombie monster ghost. I'm going to be a scary witch. Ah that is scary. Of course, it's scary. It's Halloween. What are you going to be? Elliott?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: Actually I made a bumblebee costume see tenn.
Speaker 2: Oh, not very scary.
Speaker 6: But I can't quite figure out how to make the antenna.
Speaker 3: Well, Elliott, you are in luck because today we are going to meet a very special guest who will know exactly how to help you with your costume.
Speaker 4: Ooh, is it a wizard?
Speaker 3: Not quite? Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today is Halloween, and some of the Lingo Kids' friends are excited for a good scare. But what if not everyone likes feeling scared? Does Halloween have to be scary to be fun? Let's join Cowie, Billy, Lisa and Elliott as they put the finishing touches on their haunted house and get some costume advice from a very special guest costume designer, Ruth E. Carter.
Speaker 1: Ellie, can you please pass this tissue paper? I need to make more ghosts.
Speaker 2: More ghosts.
Speaker 6: But Cowie, you already made so many ghosts.
Speaker 1: Ooo, silly Elliot, you can't have too many ghosts on Halloween.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess. Hey, everyone want to hear the spooky music I'm making.
Speaker 3: For the Hunted House?
Speaker 4: Sure, so spooky.
Speaker 3: Billy says he is making a skeleton out of popsicle sticks and he's building a motor so the skeleton can dauns.
Speaker 2: That's so cool, Billy.
Speaker 3: Elliott, what are you making for the Haunted House?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm in a jackal intern family.
Speaker 6: See here's the mama jackal lantern, Papa.
Speaker 1: And two cute little baby pumpkins. Ah, those are pretty cute, Elliott. Yeah, but Elliott, cute is not scary, and how we is about scary?
Speaker 3: Billy says you should add fangs to your jack o' lanterns.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so they get sick flood like vampires.
Speaker 2: Non, sinks, My pumpkins don't like blood.
Speaker 1: Hockay suit yourself, Hey, Belly, what's in that big cauldron.
Speaker 3: Billy says, it's a surprise. Close your eyes and reach in for a Halloween treat.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I love treats. I'll try it. What is that?
Speaker 1: It feels slimy and loly gooey.
Speaker 3: Billy says, it's a.
Speaker 2: Pot of.
Speaker 1: Eyeballs high ballsy yuck, yucky, yuck.
Speaker 2: I don't want to touch.
Speaker 3: Eyeballs, Elliot. You know they're not real eyeballs, right, but.
Speaker 2: They feel like eyeballs. I mean, how I imagine eyeballs would feel.
Speaker 3: Billy says they're actually just peeled grapes.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't like touching eyeballs, even pretend ones.
Speaker 1: But why not, Elliot? Eyeballs are so spooky. Maybe I don't like spooky.
Speaker 2: But Elliot, that's the old boys of Halloween. Well then maybe they don't.
Speaker 3: Like Halloween, Elliott. Some kids really like spooky things, and they like to be scared on Halloween. It feels fun because they know it's just pretend, like me and me. But some kids do not like that part of Halloween as much. And that's perfectly okay. There are lots of ways to have a g eat Halloween, lingo, kids, friends, can you think of some not so scary ways Elliott can have fun on Halloween.
Speaker 2: Candy you get the best candy on Halloween. And costumes. You like making costumes, right, niot? Yes, but not the scary kind.
Speaker 1: Why know something else that you like? Carvering pumpkins?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are all great ways to have fun on Halloween, even if you don't like to be scared.
Speaker 1: But Elliott, will you at least try or Haunted House? You might like it?
Speaker 2: Maybe, But I have to fix my costume first.
Speaker 7: Nice drives, thinks, but I can't quite figure out how to make the antenna.
Speaker 8: Oh, I can help you with that. Let's see what I have in my bag of tricks.
Speaker 3: Lingle Kids friends meet Ruth E. Carter. She is an award winning costume designer who has created costumes for many famous movies like Black Panther and Wakanda Forever.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you get to meet costumes all the time, not just on Halloween.
Speaker 8: I sure do, Ruth.
Speaker 2: What was the hardest costume you've ever made? Was it tricky?
Speaker 8: The hardest costume that I ever made was the broccoli for Eddie Murphy and Daddy Take Care. Why was it so difficult? Because I had to make him look like an actual broccoli. You know, when you go to the grocery store and you're in the produce section, you see a large broccoli stock. Sometimes they have a red rubber man around the middle section. We had to figure out what we were going to make it out of. So we carved a phone base, we painted green, and then we had the challenge of how do we make the florets. I walk through a craft store and I found these little brown fuzzy balls. They were all different colors. They were in the pipe cleaner section.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Root.
Speaker 3: Did you like Halloween when you were later?
Speaker 8: I especially liked Halloween because I liked making up a costume. I'd go to the attic of our house where my mother stored all of the old clothes that nobody wanted to wear anymore, and I would look. I would search and search and search for something that I could imagine might make a cool costume. We would find things and we would make up our costume. And that was a fun part about Halloween, because you never know what your friends are going to come out as.
Speaker 3: Ruth.
Speaker 2: Do you know how to make fake blood?
Speaker 8: Fake blood can be made of all kinds of stuff. You can take cherry syrup and maybe add a little food coloring to make it darker, and then drip it onto your costume. But in the movies, we actually buy the blood. It comes in a bottle just like ketchup, but on the label it says fake blood.
Speaker 1: Do you have any fun ideas for making Halloween costumes?
Speaker 8: If I wanted to be a witch, I would find a dress and I would make sure it was dark. Maybe it was black dress or a dark blue dress that I could add a black belt to in a black hat. Witches are pretty simple. Sometimes they even wear a cape and they carry a boom.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: That sounds fun.
Speaker 3: Speaking of costumes, you'd better put yours on, it's getting dark.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, anyone meet back at the Haunted House.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, miss Carter. Do you think we can still fix my bubble be costume?
Speaker 8: You bet. We can just use head cleaners, a headband, a couple of puff balls who two bumble daily, and tennis who you are good? Thank you, my pleasure. Enjoy the Haunted House.
Speaker 2: I'll try, but it seems a little too scary for me.
Speaker 3: Ah well, you could always just peek in before your friends get back and see if you like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great idea things.
Speaker 5: Okay one, two, three, Wow, spider webs are glueing, but it is pretty dork in here.
Speaker 1: Hope.
Speaker 2: I'm hi, O good ah, who are you well?
Speaker 3: Lingo Kids listeners. Today, the Lingo Kids' friends got to meet a real costume designer, Ruth E.
Speaker 8: Carter.
Speaker 3: They also learned there are many ways to enjoy Halloween, and some are spookier than others. Join us in the next episode to continue play learning together and to find out who or what Elliott meets inside the haunted house.