Speaker 1: I've had this happen to me before, and it's been really difficult when I've been in a scene or a production with someone who's like, I'm ready, I'm there. I got there, man.
Speaker 2: I thought about my dead dog, and now I'm ready to cry roll the cameras.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm David Desmalchin and I am an actor.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody, Thank you for joining me for another episode of Off the Beat. This is your host, Brian Baumgartner. Today we have a very spooky guest, a little insane lurking in the shadows, or at least that's the type of character he often plays. The great actor and well, let's call him the King of Darkness. David Deastmulchin is with us today. You might know him from such blockbusters as The Dark Knight, Ant Man, The Suicide Squad, or even Oppenheimer. Or maybe you've seen the films he wrote and starred in, Animals and All Creatures here below, Or if you're into comic books, David is also the author of the series Count Crawley Reluctant Midnight Monster Hunter. Or if you've been casket shopping lately, you might know him from his partnership with titan caskets, whatever the case may be. He is a multi hyphen it in the industry, and he does it all very very well. I might add, we're going to talk about how he got all those hyphens in the first place, how he overcame addiction and ended up a movie star. His latest film, Late Night with the Devil. I cannot wait to see it. Let's get the conversation going. Here is the immensely talented David Destmulchin.
Speaker 4: Bubble and Squeak. I love it, Bubble and Squeakna Bubble and Squeaker cook it every month. Lift over from the night Boat.
Speaker 3: What's up, David?
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: So nice to meet you, see you on this weird place. But I was just I was just with somebody who I believe you know. I could be wrong, but I feel like you're friendly with if you're not friends with Steve Age. Oh, you guys know each other. I think you guys know one another. We did somewhere in the comedy world.
Speaker 3: Yes way.
Speaker 1: It was his birthday today and I threw him a little birthday brunch. His birthday was on Sunday, but I threw my birthday brunch and I rushed back because I was excited to get to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that is uh, that's so nice. Happy birthday to Steve.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Steve Ag. Everybody, shout out.
Speaker 3: Shout out to the legend, the master Steve Agent.
Speaker 1: Weeks after his birthday, we're gonna be giving him a shout out. I don't even know when this is gonna air, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: Well, several weeks ago it was Steve AG's birthday. Everybody which begs, of course, the question, where was my invite? I mean, was it fun?
Speaker 1: It was very fun. It was Blue Jam Cafe and Tarzana, which serves really delicious French toast. If anybody's a fan of French toast, you go to Blue Jam Cafe and Tarzana, and you never know, you may stumble upon the birthday party for Steve Ag and his cluster of middle aged dude friends who sit around and yuck it up and probably overstay. Are welcome.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Blue Jam Cafe, I know it very well. There's one there in West Hollywood, Hollywood, there on on Melrose or something. Here's the thing about the French toast, or at least if you have a friendly or semi famous face. You debate whether to order the French toast, you choose not to, and then they'll bring it to you anyway.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, because I ordered oatmeal and you know what they brought me?
Speaker 3: What oatmeal?
Speaker 1: I got? Screwed? Man, I don't have a friendly face. Though, this is like the creepy, scary character actor face. I guess that probably nobody's thinking, well, let's show him a kind gesture, that poor man looks like he could use a nice slice of our famous French toast. No, they're probably like, get him his oatmeal, get him out of here, get him out or some amount of people. Yeah, he makes people uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Well, we're certainly going to talk about that. I mean, well, actually, before we get into it, I was thinking about this knowing that I was going to talk about you on our past. We have never met before, but I've been a fan of your work for a long time. So we're both character actors. Yes, but very very different in a way. And not that I don't do creepy, but maybe I do more, you know, in the drama world, maybe I do more scary or like, I don't know what it is, like I mean like.
Speaker 1: He You've got this wonderful range, and I'm always so impressed by artists who can play different instruments really well, Like I feel like you can play dry, deadpan, sweet, vulnerable, and then yeah, I've seen you be totally the opposite of Obviously, there's the things that you're known for. If you will, I think the sand goes for me where people like, oh, I know you from and it's always kind of the same things. But I do in the dream of being the kind of artists that or actor or whatever we want to call ourselves that can live in space, and it's it seems like you feel the same way, since you're comfortable describing yourself as such. I think that being a character actor, although maybe we don't get as many zero's at the end of our checks, we tend to get a lot of freedom and flexibility in the sense that we get the opportunity to stretch in ways that sometimes different types of journeys go for actors. And I think it's a real gift.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a real gift. You're right, And honestly, the only reason I brought this up I was searching for compliments. But aside from that, there's an edge that I admire in you, and I'm not talking physically, but there's a sharpness and angularity maybe that I think is maybe more subversive than me, and maybe part of it is physically as well. But it's interesting to me because while we would sort of on the surface both describe ourselves as character actors, I think we use that term so often and so loosely that it's it's almost reductive in a way.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense, Yeah, it is, but I prefer it. I think people go They'll say things to me like, oh, when are you going to get a leading role or something like that, and I kind of think I've never felt like I'm not getting awesome roles. I've always been like, if I think about the movies I've been in where I have played minor supporting or a supporting or a major supporting role, who has been whatever he's been meant to be in the purpose of serving the story and the protagonist and the director's vision. If I look at the film as a whole, I can't imagine. I can't look at a film and be like, Oh, I should have been there's there. I was meant to play Bob till I look at a movie like The Dark Knight, and I don't think to myself like I wish I would have been the Batman or the Joker. No, I think like that role just seemed like it was just so suited for what my skills and joy. People often ask me like, oh, You've made such great choices in your career, and I wish that I could take more credit than the Roulette wheel of being an actor. I wish that I was some savante artist living in my cabin, cobbling shoes and getting to go no, no, no, no, oh, yes that one. Oh that. It's just not my reality. I'm a working actor who reads work. I'm just so I think dedicated maybe to the kind of stuff that I consume as a watcher, reader, listener that maybe energetically in some woiy way, it's maybe like made me do better auditions or have stronger energetic connections to material that is in the genre space is a little more in the dark shadows whatever. But the times I've said no to things genuinely, and there's been stuff that I have absolutely done because it wasn't my favorite script or role, but I was like, I'm working, I need to work and I know I can make something useful and help this story. The times when I have said no was either because there was no money, and that happens often where people go, we've got this great project and we just can't pay you, and I go, I'm sorry. I have to support a family. And when I'm going to do no money work, it's always my own stuff because I'm always trying to make my own little things. So I try to block out three or four months a year of no money work, and that's always my own stuff. But the other reason is only when I genuinely try to connect with the material and I feel like I can't find my way into it, and I won't do it because I genuinely believe you can see it, you can feel it in a performance. If you don't connect with in any way, shape or form, or you're just like I would be doing a great disservice to somebody who's paying me or someone who's trying to direct me. If my internal monologue is I don't connect with this at all, I feel like that would be really hard. So aside from that, though, I'm kind of a yes man, and luckily that's just snowballed into getting to work with really cool people and cool projects, and being open to making myself. I think you do this as well, and it's another badge of honor in being a character actor. The vulnerability of playing the fool, to me is a really powerful experience as an actor. I really think getting over my fear and my ego and being willing to just stand still and be If anyone knows much about history of storytelling, theater, comaedia, dell art, whatever, that very important function of the fool, and it's not as simple or pejorative as it may sound in saying that word to your viewers or listeners, but it's like it's actually kind of a beautiful place to exist in storytelling. It's like I want to strip down myself of all ego. I want to just stand there and experience things and let the camera capture those feelings of vulnerability. And sometimes I'm very lucky that it just it works. Whether it's in comedy or drama or horror, it's a place I like to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you grew well. You were born in Pennsylvania, Allentown. Yes, you ended up growing up in Kansas City. By the way I read, you played football are you a football fan.
Speaker 1: I am a football fan. I've had a very good year this year as a Kansas City Fanglas. Thank you you're a Cisco fan.
Speaker 3: I'm no, God, oh god, no, no, no, I was rooting for you in that game. Let's just say I might have had some a financial interest, not a rooting interest, but a financial interest in Kansas City. But no, congratulations. I mean, you've got those fancy new headphones now. I'm glad to see that we won those for you. That's nice.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the team's efforts in making sure that your pockets were padded. I honestly don't watch football regularly. I'm not a diehard fan. I'm a bit of a fair weather fan. I left the field my senior year of high school after our last game, a painful loss to Shawnee Mission North in which we should have won the game, but a couple of really major errors on our team part dropped the last literally in the last two minutes of the game. We you know, listen, I sound like Uncle Rico right now, but I genuinely like I like. I walked off the field and football was to me a means to an end. I loved playing it at the time. I loved my team and my coach and the experience of going out on the gridiron and playing football and giving it all I had. But my heart was definitely I was yearning to be like making haunted houses and being in the theater. And I was always a little I was building sets for the theater, like they were doing a production of Dracula, and I was like helping build sets, but I wanted to be in the play. I wanted to be, you know, doing that. And I had good grades, but not good enough to get academic scholarships. But I was good enough at football that it was going to help me get to go to college. So it was something I really dedicated myself to. And then when I walked off the field the end of my senior year, I assumed the next summer I would be in training at one of the colleges that was recruiting me to play football. And I was preparing to go do the next six months of continuing to get bigger and bigger, and then I was encouraged by a couple of teachers to audition for this theater training program in Chicago, and I did, and I got a scholarship. I completely did a one eighty, and I said, that's that's what I want to do. That's what I'm going to do.
Speaker 3: And so that's De Paul right, Yes.
Speaker 1: De Paul Theater School.
Speaker 3: So this is a legitimate program here to Paul, I remember, to Paul, I mean, I don't know how old we are where we're well, I actually I do know how old you.
Speaker 1: Are, with forty eight.
Speaker 3: No, I know we're close to the same age, so I know De Paul was good. So you're telling me you didn't have any experience at that point.
Speaker 1: No formal training. I had done some community theater in high school. I had an amazing speech coach in high school. I had an awesome drama teacher that we had like a repertory theater company at my high school. But I had no formal It's funny. When I went to my audition, I'm in cut off Jean shorts, a Janis Joplin tied it T shirt Chuck Taylor's. I've totally screwed up because I didn't realize that they didn't want us to do dialect monologues. And I had prepared a monologue from a play by Peter Shaffer called Equis and I was kind of obsessed with that play in high school. And I and I also had done a monologue from Eric Bagosian's talk radio where I played a bunch of different characters, and they didn't want any of that shit. So I show up. Here's all these kids in dance belts with jazz shoes on and coming from you know, all these training ground places. They just everybody was like, I was so intimidated. I was so out of my depth. But I had something that I'll always be grateful for that Maybe if I had overtrained as a kid and teenager, maybe if I had been so ingrained in thinking, I had an approach that I knew what I was doing. Because I believed that I had no clue what I was doing. I was like raw dull. I just was like open to and I had this willingness to just jump into whatever and kind of make a fool of myself. And then I do this monologue completely wrong. And the guy running the audition was the dean of the school at the time. He's like, no, no, no, what else do you got? And in my back pocket, I had been reading this play called does a Tiger wear a necktie. And I had just started to like kind of on my own, do this monologue. And I did it, and then I get a letter, you know, two months later that's like you get into the school. And I was like, that's great, but there's no way I'm going. At that time, I think maybe it was sixteen seventeen thousand dollars a year, and here I've got an opportunity to go to either Iowa or California, or to go back east and get like a full ride, you know, to get an English degree and play football at one of these other colleges. And then this letter comes that says you've or were happy to inform you that you've been awarded this this scholarship. And I I'll never forget that moment, man, I'll never forget opening that letter and seeing that and knowing my life was about to change. Now I was going. I was going to go to Chicago. I was going to go the path of so many of my heroes, you know, John Malkovich in this up in Wolf Theater Company and the Goodman Theater, and and it happened. It's wild, it's crazy. I'm so low, it's awesome.
Speaker 5: I'm so lucky.
Speaker 3: What did De Paul give you? I mean I talk about you know, I started in the theater as well, and I you know, there was there was a time for me where I considered it just something to do or more an activity, and then there was a moment where my eyes were opened to like the possibility in terms of process, in terms of study, in terms of you know, just everything that went into what ended up being the thing that I love, which is character creation, physical, you know, vocal movement, all of those things. Was there a moment for you did that happen at to Paul where you were like, oh, oh, I see now and this is awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, what was wonderful about the curriculum? At the time that I went to De Paul it had been kind of inherited from the Goodman's School of Drama, and it was this old school steeped in Russian theater, in Polish lab theater, body work theater, very intensive, very almost monastic kind of the way you would you know, you approached to the work was your body, your voice, and then technique didn't come until you had been there already like two years. And it was a really intense environment where they would cut maybe a quarter of the students every year. I think I just had that openness and willingness because I knew nothing, but I knew that I had this like attraction to the words, getting the words out of my mouth, finding a way to inhabit the body and manufacture. In the beginning of the journey, I thought it was about finding the way to tap into having the real physical and emotional and verbal responses and reactions that I would have in the given circumstances. And so we began training doing strictly improvisation. It was all Spolen work and Dell Close work and all of this really important stuff, learning about being present, being in the moment, being a responder, to seeing partners, into material and to given circumstances and environment. Oh, there was so much emphasis put on how your environment affects your body, and just all this work to keep you in the space of your imagination so that you can pretend to have these experiences, so you can manufacture these emotional states of being. And what was really cool about it, each of the different teachers you had would come from a different school of thought, so you'd have somebody with what felt very methody, and somebody you know, there was you name it, Stanislavsky on down every book that every teacher seemed to have their day. But what started to click and crack through for me that I didn't realize until much later was the very pragmatic tools that I could utilize to manufacture and imagine these states of being and then to replicate them. At this point, it was strictly theater training, So the idea of being able to replicate them on a nightly basis while still feeling present and still feeling like you're able to respond to any changes that may occur, but finding the tools so that I could, if I'm playing Vince in Bury Child, scream my guts out for twenty minutes a night, and come back and do it the next night and have all of my faculties with me. And at that point I was still in the place of like, I'm going to go there. If I'm in mourning, I'm going to lay here and think about all the people who've died, and I'm going to build myself up. But what was being laid, the groundwork that was being laid underneath that approach was a much more technical style and approach of acting. And this is just for context, something that I think is important to know. During those years when I was at school, I had a lot of addressed mental health issues. I had a lot of untreated struggles that manifested in a pretty debilitating opiate addiction. So by the time I left this incredible school with all these incredible tools and knowledge, I didn't think I was ever going to act again because I just was so lost in the sea of my addiction that I swam out in a way from kind of society for a number of years, nearly died a number of times. Eventually came had a miracle of consciousness where I came to the belief and decision that I needed help and that I was wanted to live. You know, I was like, I was like Frank Cross, Bill Murray and Scrooge when he's in his coughin casket getting pushed into the to the crematorium and he's like, I want to live. I want to live. And it was like a miracle. All of a sudden, I was alive again. But it took me about five years to get back on stage once I got clean, because I was so scared that I wouldn't be any good if I didn't have the benefit of getting sedatives after work, and I was also afraid that going there emotionally every night was going to trigger me to relapse. And instead what happened was I did I got back on stage, and I found that my acting was much better than it had ever been before because of all the work I had been doing and the sobriety. And then secondly, I had this incredible breakthrough where so let's say, and it's one of the very first things I did when I got back on stage was I played both in Oscar Wilde solom and he's a soldier who's so obsessed with Solome and when she refutes his advances, he kills himself on stage. And I am a person who has struggled with suicide attempts and suicidal ideation. So I thought, oh, I just have to go there didn't work, and the performance when I was trying that in rehearsal and the director was so wonderful, was like it was not I wasn't working, And instead I started to go back into all these tools that I'd learned that I didn't even realize I'd learned about manufacturing something really beautiful with my face, my voice, my eyes, my body, my presence, my energy, but manufacturing in a way that was much more skilled, like like a guitarist who has notes he is hitting and is manipulating the little muscles to get those notes because it's not real. It's like what I'm doing in that theater wasn't real. It was a little bigger than real, and it was a little to the left of this, and it was to fit in the world of Wild's language and the director's vision. It needed to be sculpted some other way. And it just started to click. Man, and I just started to go, oh wow. And that has been the journey now for my God, that's been you know, eighteen years, almost twenty years of this path, this journey for me, that has been the joy that I get out of being a technical actor. So many of those tools I learned in school. And you know what else I learned in school that I think is really important. And if anyone's an actor and watching this, it's like becoming comfortable with who I am energetically physically knowing who I am and knowing that there is a there is a probability that any role from Hamlet to Falstaff, from Willie Lohman to Biff Loman, depending on the vision of the production, if I bring my authentic David self. But I'm not trying to create the Dustin Hoffman version of Willy Loman or the Philip Seymour Hoffman version of Willy Lohman. I'm not trying to create the so and so version of this thing, the Marlon Brando version of whatever. That I can take my best shot at it, and if I don't get it, I don't get it. But it gave me this great freedom that anything felt possible and that I could embrace being who I am as a character actor. I honestly think DePaul is one of the best training grounds for character actors just because of that very thing, and in fact, actors like Michael Rooker, w Earl Brown, who else, Judy Greer, PJ byrne Ough, so many fantastic I'm forgetting tons. Carl Malden studied there back in the day. Like it's kind of like a character actor's dream school.
Speaker 3: You know, No, that's awesome. I mean, there's so much that you just said that I want to unpack. I respect so much and agree so much with what you're saying that you know, I get asked all the time about, you know what, was it difficult for you to go certain places? I think that the particularly in the theater, the physical and sort of mental stamina can be draining and difficult. But I think ultimately, if you're using those tools to create a character and not you know, self abusing yourself, you know that part of it for me is not as difficult to go certain places.
Speaker 1: I think too, we're part of an ensemble, right, We're part of a team of people who are trying to achieve something. Of course, we as actors are in front of the camera or we're at the front of the stage. But if my process can be as technically astute as I want it to be, whenever I achieve my nirvana as an actor, I could exist in a place that's almost like a monk, where like I could sit there so violently and be ready and you let's say you're directing me in a scene and you're like, Okay, I'm so sorry, David. We realized we didn't get the coverage on this thing. We need to go back to where we were five minutes ago. When you're saying to her, I think I'm leaving you now, and I need you to Can you do that? But can you make sure your face is kind of sorry? The lighting in this place is weird. Could you like, could you face that way? Because I want to make sure we get the light on you. And I just look at you and I go yes, and I go and I can do it. And then you go, oh my god, that was so great. Can we do it again? But this time we just had to pick up the pace a little bit because I needed yes, and I can pick up the pace a little bit. Oh god, that was a little too fast. Can you slow down a little bit next time? I go, yes, I can do it. That to me is the dream, not And I've had this happen to me before, and it's been really difficult when I've been in a scene or a production with someone who's like, I'm ready, I'm there.
Speaker 2: I got there, man, I thought about my dead dog and now I'm ready to cry roll the cameras and some poor gaffer it's just trying to do his job. I'm just getting yelled at because this actor is ready.
Speaker 1: That's my heart. But I know that some people's process. So when it is some people's process, I try to support them as a fellow actor, and I try to just give them what they need. And this is one of the reasons I could never probably be a director. I don't think I have the patience to be a director. I would just be like, well, Brian, I told you to sit in the chair in the terre a damn line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what you're saying is is great in the ideal. I think you're a much nicer person than I am. And I'll and I'll only say this, it's not about not being able to get back to that place. But I do think for me, it's about the five minutes later thing. We can do, however many we need to do in a row, but once my mind has moved on and we have to go, that's a little tough for me. It's hard. That's a little tough for me, you know. For me, the only time that I need to put myself somewhere like what you're talking about, I think you and I work exactly the same. And so partly why I'm asking this is to find out if you have that. One of the things that we talked about in school was about entrances, and we spent those tons of time with just a door right like we.
Speaker 1: Had an actual exercise where we're a door in the middle of the classroom and you would knock on the door and your improv partner had to open the door kind of based on what they thought the energy was that you were bringing into the room, based on the way that you knocked. Yes, entrances are everything.
Speaker 3: So you have this dark period, you make your way back out of it. You start using the theater and feel like you're better than ever. And it sounds like we're talking circa two thousand and six to two thousand and eight, And in two thousand and eight you get your first role in a major motion picture, maybe the biggest motion picture of the last twenty years. I'm referring, of course, to The Dark Knight from zero to Christopher Nolan in No Time Flat. That experience for you being on set with the late great Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart and Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, just to name a couple. What was that experience for you at that time in your career.
Speaker 1: So you know, I've been collecting comics my whole life. You can see my Longbock collection behind me. I have been always obsessed with the Batman, Detective comics and all forms and iterations of Batman stories, but the Joker was always my favorite characters. So here's this, you know, recovered addict who's now acting and doing mostly theater first audiences of one hundred sometimes twenty five people Storefront Theater, and like, you know, smaller regional theater is amazing theater. Some of the best theater in the world, in my opinion, is in Chicago. And I was having these incredible experiences, but you know, I was not I was making a meager living. I was getting occasional commercial actually working with pretty incredible directors on like silly commercials. But you know, these these a tour doc filmmakers and indie filmmakers would be shooting commercials to make money. And all of a sudden, this lifelong dream of being in cinema and finding some way to merge my love of acting with my love of comic books and sci fi and genre, I get this insane opportunity to audition for the sequel to Batman Begins, which I had loved Batman Begins. So I was so excited, and I auditioned along with every other actor in Chicago for a very small there's a cluster of clowns at the beginning of the movie, pulling off of Michael manstyle heist, and that was the role I auditioned for. I got called back, got to read in front of Christopher Nolan, one of my favorite directors, one of the best directors of all time and definitely of our time, and then I didn't hear anything from them for four months, so I did an entire run of Othello. I closed that show.
Speaker 3: It was July.
Speaker 1: That audition in April and July they called and said, do you have a passport? And I said sure, and I didn't because you're going to shoot a scene in the New Batman movie and they want you for this role, and you're going to shoot for this big parade sequence in downtown Chicago, and then in October they're going to pick up the scene where you're kidnapped and they're shooting it at this warehouse, but that's in London, so you're going to get to go to London and Jude. So all of a sudden, man, I'm standing in the midst of this surreal reality that is making me in the moment of having to be on set on camera with thousands of extras actors like Gary Oldman walking around, Christian Bale, Heath Ledger. I'm in the presence of greatness and i have to deliver really important energy into a sequence that is supposed to really terrify one of the main protagonists of the story. And I felt so out of my depth. I felt so terrified, and thank the power of great directors, somebody like Christopher Nolan, who could like give me some really simple direction, help set me at ease, told me a couple of jokes I think to loosen me up, and then really just encouraged me to follow my impulses. And we created that character in that moment. And I'm still floating. I'm still levitating fifteen years later on the exhilaration I got walking off of that set. Even though I was racked with insecurity and I was sure that I had done a terrible job, just the opportunity to have done that was like a drug like I'd never felt before.
Speaker 3: Well, the role may have been small, but was incredibly meaningful and memorable, and obviously it struck a note with Chris Nolan. He just had you back, of course for the new film, Oppenheimer. Was it fun? Did it feel like full circle for you coming back and getting to work with him again.
Speaker 1: It really did. He changed my life, you know. He putting me in the Dark Knight was something that had completely altered the course of my trajectory as an actor and as a person, and I always wanted the opportunity to really thank him and to express my gratitude, and never interacted after the Dark Knight. Once I ran into him in a park in Sherman Oaks where I was playing with my kid, and I did get to say thank you. I think I just verbally diarrhead a bunch of words at him, and he was like, oh, okay, Hi, but you know, you go you get a chance to play on a maestro's orchestra. There's a part of me that was always like, oh, I wish I could get another chance to play the triangle for him. And then when that call came in and they said, hey, there's a role that Chris wants you to play in his new film and would you come down to Universal you could read the script, and I flipped.
Speaker 3: I flipped.
Speaker 1: Being back on set with him. I'm still as nervous and insecure as ever, and he's still so wonderful at helping me feel present and makes me feel really safe, getting vulnerable and just being still and allowing discomfort to take over, which is really important for some of these moments that we had to capture. I had all these imagined perspectives of Killian Murphy, and I didn't know what he was going to be like. Was he going to be really weird and brooding? Was he going to be this?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: And he was just he was so lovely and I've been such a fan of him for so long, so to get to get in his space and get weird was really really lovely.
Speaker 3: I love it. Speaking of amazing directors, Prisoners, Blade Runner twenty forty nine, Dune Part one, and of course the new installment of the Dune films, tell me about working with Denise and your experience. The only actor I'm told who has worked with both he and Christopher Nolan multiple times.
Speaker 1: That's bonkers. That's just this weird old kid from Kansas has gotten to play with two of the greatest filmmakers of all time multiple times. Is bonkers to me. Denise is like a brother to me. He's so loving and he's so open, and he's such a like an oracle of creativity and imagination, and he's relentless. He is a relentless creator, and he's always trying to kick under the rocks and look around and find all the detail and all the magic and kilcondure anything that he can make happen by the way he puts people together and the way he creates a space that is so safe and encouraging. Again, I've had to do some really dark and twisted and weird things in his films, and I always feel like he just makes me feel so safe to go there, and I always land you in his arms and feel really really proud of the work that he's elevated out of me. I feel like I've learned so much as an actor from him, And again, it's very similar to what you learn from Nolan and all of these great directors. You've got to trust what's inside. You've got to trust that camera, got to trust your director. Got to stop trying to telegraph or tell the body anything with your body and voice. You've got to allow it to be sent with the most microwaved signals. And believe when I do that, with their encouragement, I always feel like I can give performances that I didn't know I was capable of.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe it has all led you to this Late Night with the Devil porting role Anymore, releasing March twenty second. How excited are you for the world to see this?
Speaker 1: I'm so excited and I really I hope you dig it. Man, I can't wait. I have never imagined myself getting the opportunity to play someone who is he's a comedian. I mean, he's a late night talk show host. He's delivering comedic monologues. He has to be charming, and he has to be affable, and he has to be engaging and quick witted, and he's all these things that I never would think to define myself as in the kinds of roles that I've been able to play before, and so he was a bear of a role to take on. But it was an awesome challenge and I'm so proud of the movie. It's so scary and yet so fun at the same time, and it was really dramatic for me. It's about a guy who's on the verge of a nervous breakdown, who's lost his wife, who's drinking too much, who's about to get canceled. His show is literally on the chopping block because he's like fiftieth in the ratings and Carson's at number two at this point in nineteen seventy seven. So he just throws everything he possibly can at the screen one night, hoping to elicit shock, and instead really bends the boundaries of his own ethics and invites onto his show some stuff that he really shouldn't have. And Yeah, I'm so excited. I'm so proud of it, and I can't wait for everybody to see it.
Speaker 3: Dude, I cannot wait to see it. I enjoy watching you in every single thing that you do, and that's a lot, by the way, ten projects IMDb says you were in just this last year. Here's my wish for you that well, that we get eleven this year. How about that. Let's not crush that number, let's just keep going.
Speaker 1: I wish that we get to play together sometime.
Speaker 3: I would after our conversation today, I want it even more than before. David. You have been so great, so generous with your time. Thank you so much, Thanks for coming on here.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and let's do it again.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, David. It was so good talking to you, truly, my pleasure and great to meet you the other night before the Oscars, listeners, go see David in Late Night with the Devil. I can't wait to see it. It comes out this week, and then come back here next Tuesday for more of Me and Off the Beat. Until then, have a great week. Off the Beat is hosted and executive produced by me Brian Baumgartner, alongside our executive producer, lingg Lee. Our senior producer is Diego Tapia. Our producers are Liz Hayes, Hannah Harris, and Emily Carr. Our talent producer is Ryan Papa Zachary, and our intern is Ali Amir Sahi. Our theme song Bubble and Squeak, performed by the one and only Creed Bradon