Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: People always see the success, right. So we're in Puerto Rico and it's beautiful convention center. You've done tremendously well for yourself, and but where did it start? Like, where did it start from point A to getting here.
Speaker 5: Yes, well it started with me scrapping in high school. Like I used to have a lot of fights. I don't know why, but the queen, Yes, shout.
Speaker 2: Out to queen or listen, I'm feisty. And that's the thing.
Speaker 5: I would be the quiet one, like I'm quiet, I'm not coming for you. But if you come for me, were about to fight, and listen, I'm gonna give you a run for your money. Like I may not be able to say that, you know, I beat your ass, but I'm gonna give you a run for your money. You ain't gonna want to come back. I'll tell you that part. So that's where it started.
Speaker 2: Write that down.
Speaker 5: But I think there's something to that, right, like even just being a fighter, all of the challenges, I'm very grateful for them now because I think it just it helps you.
Speaker 2: To be, like I was talking about earlier, relentless.
Speaker 5: You know, when you have, you know, issues with lights going out, and you know, I would go to the grocery store and have to pay with food stamps and I would be like hiding in the aisles waiting for my friends and my neighbors to leave. So that they wouldn't see me, you know, because I had so much shame around it, and you know, wait for them to leave, be very strategic, and then sometimes you get caught and I just leave, walk home from the grocery store and cry, you know what I mean, just being embarrassed. I think all of that helped me to be very focused and helped me to be relentless, like a dog with the bone when I want to make something happen.
Speaker 2: So I'm very grateful for all of those experiences.
Speaker 5: And I'm also grateful because then I relate to a lot of people too, because a lot of people have that story, and everybody has a story of struggle of some kind. And that story of struggle, we think is a disadvantage, it's actually an advantage because entrepreneurship is not easy.
Speaker 2: Building wealth is not easy.
Speaker 5: Taking yourself from zero to a lot more is not an easy journey. So if you've had challenges already, great, you're equipped, you ready, you have the right stuff.
Speaker 2: In your in.
Speaker 5: Your toolbox to get you through the challenges of the journey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So this mindset, and I wonder when when I listen to you speak, sometimes I'm wondering that millionaire mindset. Is that something that that you're naturally born with or is it something that's developed? And I wondered because I remember, right, it's one of these things.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, I used.
Speaker 6: To write the stories and I'll say, Mom, I of all buy you a mansion one day, and she kept the stories like, well, Troy was my mansion.
Speaker 2: Wait, I mentioned that time to pay the piper.
Speaker 6: Right, So I wanted. I mean, obviously that was in my mind at that time when I was a young child. But I'm wondering, from your journey and being around your community, is that something that you see that is inherently part of a person's characteristic or is that something that's developed.
Speaker 5: I think a millionaire mindset is developed, and I think it keeps being developed, right, like even now. What has made me so proud of this conference too, is that the speakers are changing their flights and sticking around.
Speaker 2: A lot of speakers dip in and out.
Speaker 5: They're like, oh no, no, no, no, no, I'm staying here. I'm a hangout right. That makes me so proud. And the reason why I mentioned that is because even when we're far, even when we have New York Times bestselling books and we have eight figure businesses. There's still so much to learn, right, There's still so much to accomplish and to do, and you never stop learning. So I think you're always working on that millionaire mindset. But I also know that having to go to the grocery store with food stamps and having the conded come to my door and turn off the lights and all of the stuff that that came with that got me very focused on money at a very early age. So I was always curious, like, how are people making money? And I tell the story in my book about how I used to babysit for this.
Speaker 2: Little girl named Alana. It was a Jewish family.
Speaker 5: They were so sweet, and it was in Douglaston and I grew up in Flushing, Queens, right. Douglaston is a much nicer neighborhood. And I would take the bus over there and it was like tree lined streets and it was you know big houses.
Speaker 2: There was three of them.
Speaker 5: It was you know, Mom, Dad, and Alana in this giant house that had so many rooms.
Speaker 2: I was like, what are you doing with all these rooms? What is this room? It was a formal dining room I had. I was like, what is that. I've never seen a formal dining room before, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And I would open their pantry to like make her a snack and it was like so many options.
Speaker 2: I was like, Wow, one day, I'm gonna be able to ernest what's up.
Speaker 7: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, Like the checkout is fast, there are seats of digital tipping is a breeze, and you're out the before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professional's routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day.
Speaker 3: It's like banking with P and C Bank.
Speaker 7: It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you were here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right.
Speaker 2: Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 5: Get those frozen waffles that my mom always says, No, it's always those little things, right, Like what was it like you wanted Coco puffs and you couldn't get the Coco pubs.
Speaker 2: Your mom said no because I don't have the money.
Speaker 5: It's like, but I would see that and her father worked from home and the mom would be at work, and I'd be like, what do these people do for a living? And I would ask, you know, I was always trying to be a detective, like people who have money. How did they get it? Because I just had no idea. I couldn't fathom, like, how do they have so much? And so learning that Like, that's what I think got me to focus on money is the fact that we didn't have any right if we would have been very comfortable, I don't think it would have been a priority to me.
Speaker 6: You think that inquisitive nature helped shape your career path because of od times in our communities, we see a few avenues of where we can make money, right usually in arn't so performing or entertainment. But the fact that you were inquisitive and trying to find out how other people were making money, did that help in the way you were choosing the way you were going to go with your career.
Speaker 5: Yes, And honestly I didn't really know that as a kid, like I didn't know I saw performers, black performers, I saw black athletes, but really nobody from my neighborhood was becoming an R and B singer or a basketball player, right Like they might have had hopes and dreams, but I wasn't actually seeing it happen in my my neighborhood. So to me, I was just like I just want to know how like what job y'all got?
Speaker 2: And I learned like what I had found is.
Speaker 5: Like a lot of people were highly educated. So I was like, okay, then I need to go to school. Great works for me because I'm good at school. Right, Like I like to study, I like to learn, I love to read, and so all of those things will benefit me. Just where do I go to school? What pathway do I need to take? Like, just break it down for me, show me right, like I just wanted. I was so hungry to know, and I was gonna be relentless until I figured it out.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you this, what moment did you realize you had something special?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 5: I think you know. What was interesting is I started with a law practice. So I went to law school. I graduated during the two thousand and eight recession, and there were not.
Speaker 2: A lot of jobs available.
Speaker 5: How low was I was actually studying like family law. I actually went to a school that has specialty in IP law, and I was like, nah, I'm not interested in that. I was like, no, I'm going to do family law because I wanted to help people.
Speaker 4: What does that mean, like you know a city battles and stuff?
Speaker 5: Well, yes, but also like I imagine doing something like working for a nonprofit. And I remember I sat down with my sister and she had like a neighbor. We had lunch with her, and they both sat me down and they were like, listen, you need to get this money. Okay, you see these loans. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're not doing the nonprofit thing. Maybe you could do that in the future, but like, right now, you need to pay these loans backs.
Speaker 2: Right. So they had to have a talk with me about that.
Speaker 5: But what was interesting, So I started I want to start in my own law practice, because law firms are often very toxic spaces. And I had intern at a few places, and I was like, this ain't gonna last. Like I'm just not the type of person that is obedient enough to work in a corporate environment long term.
Speaker 3: That's very well put. I know some people like that.
Speaker 2: So I was like, this ain't ever gonna work.
Speaker 5: So like and here was my thinking, and I literally said this to my husband.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm already broke.
Speaker 5: So if I'm already broke, it's better to not take the law firm job where I'd make a lot of money.
Speaker 2: It's better to stay broke.
Speaker 5: Now start the entrepreneurial journey while I'm still broke. And I'm like, I'm comfortable being broke, right, I've been broke, so like, let me just start now. If I'm gonna be broke, be broke doing my own thing instead of going somewhere getting comfortable, upgrading my lifestyle and then trying to find a way out of it. So that was kind of my strategy. So I started my law practice and it was so interesting. Literally within six months, I was getting a lot of press, Like it was just like I was an anomaly, you know, like being a young lawyer right out of law school. People don't just go solo out of law school. You're supposed to pay your dues, work at a law firm, be trained by partner over a long period of time, then you can go.
Speaker 2: So then you have permission. And I just did it. And I did it with my afro and not you know, not wearing the suits. And it was interesting.
Speaker 5: It like attracted so many people to me because it was just different. People were looking for a lawyer that looked like them, that they felt comfortable talking to, that explained it to them in plain English, that didn't act like they were better than them, and so I was like, Okay, I'm onto something here. And I think that's when I first figured out that just being myself was enough, and actually the more I was myself, the more it actually attracted people to me.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christinom, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels of ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families.
Speaker 2: Will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,