Speaker 1: Miss Spelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: So my producer and co host on OMG and my friend Amy Sugarman, we all know when she's a true fan of something and like a super fan, like oh my god, she goes all out and she happens to be a little bit fascinated with the idea of the manner. You could say, manna. Can we refer to it? This whole thing is the Manna?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, because I'm going to ask you a bunch of questions about that.
Speaker 2: In fact, she was like, uhmember when used to on OMG, if anything that ever linked to like the manor growing Up Spell, you would like go with it, and we'd be like, woo wait, that's we're doing a rewatch here of.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's happening on our melrose Place show that's called Still the Place because they bring up the Manor too, because a lot of them came over to your house for their like sort of audition meeting with your dad. So it keeps coming up in my world and I'm like, I just want to do a deep dive, like a deep dive.
Speaker 2: She's talked about this for years actually, before we did podcasts like you. You you have a fascination with the manner, and I believe you said to me, can we do secrets in the manner?
Speaker 1: That would be a really good TV special too. I can use my new menopause voice, by the way, I know I talk about it all the time, but my voice is doing something now that I'm in menopause. I googled it. It's deeper and raspier and it kind of freaked me out. And then I googled it and the Internet said normal. So I was like, I'll just have this deep, sexier voice. I don't know if it's sexier, it might be annoyed. So how do you say?
Speaker 2: Manner? O?
Speaker 1: Good secrets of the manner? How's that? You do it? You do it? You do it? That was sexy? You do it. You can do it.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't like I don't know. It has to be a little intrigue, a little bit of like the little little bit of like oh myn no, oh, let us begin and there comes my menopauseal laugh. You know right now it's like yeah, too great.
Speaker 1: Okay, first question to set the scene, you did not move to the manor until you were like sixteen, correct, sixteen and you.
Speaker 2: Know what, No, it was. Yeah it was. So my parents bought the property.
Speaker 1: Should I take us back? Yeah, well that's what I was gonna ask too. Was it dirt and they built it? Or was there a house there? Give me the background on that.
Speaker 2: Oh there was a house there. Oh, there is a house there. So when I was twelve, my parents purchased property that became the manor. Okay, and it was Bing Crosby's house. Wow, okay, which little known fact. My mom loved being Prosby, huge fan, so that was kind of a fun connection. And then she and then she tore.
Speaker 1: All that she I was gonna say, she was like leveled. Okay, dirt. So how my property was there?
Speaker 2: No good question?
Speaker 1: Acres? Acres? Oh yeah it was acres.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like she bought multiple properties and it was hed it big.
Speaker 1: He had it?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he had it. But I remember, I mean, here's the thing. And I think I've talked about this before when or maybe I have not. For instance, in our first house growing up, I used to move all my stuffed animals and I would take some like blankets and some snacks, and I would go into the cupboard in the laundry room and say this is my new room.
Speaker 1: That's how big.
Speaker 2: That put it on to perspective.
Speaker 1: So how big was that house? Like ten thousand square feet? Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think it was ten to twelve thousand square feet, which I know is ginormous. Like you know, I'm currently my kids and I are in a three thousand square foot house, which is still large to us. So it's all I get perspective.
Speaker 1: So let's just say this. Let's say this for the sake of the conversation.
Speaker 2: Like it's small.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be humble for the sake.
Speaker 2: Of this conversation. That came out wrong.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be humble for the sake of this conversation or feel bad telling us because if this isn't you know, I always I know, But let's do that. Let's just surrender that for this for the next hour, because you're a humble person and you don't like to seem like you're bragging or seem like you're grew up rich, whatever it is. But for the next hour, let's just get rid of that so that I can actually ask you the questions and get the answers.
Speaker 2: I am into this. This is Oh, also a lesson for me in surrendering to what was my life, like, yeah, this is this was it? Right?
Speaker 1: It wasn't your money and you buy this house. You didn't ask for it. You're not bragging, right, We're gonna let that go because I really want to know that way, you're not like whatever the opposite of sugarcoating it is. You're not downplaying it because I want to know, all right. So that mansion was where in the valley are also in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: It was on the exact same street still there. Whoa it was Yeah, one a lot of North Mapleton Drive and the manor was on South Mapleton Drive. So we literally crossed Sunset That's what I was gonna say, and went up to fifty six thousand square feet.
Speaker 1: So one was north of Sunset and one was south of Sunset. The manor was north of Sunset. South, Oh, south of Sunset. And is that considered like swankier?
Speaker 2: Oh? Because usually like north of some No, no, no, south south of the boulevard you would say, like I live in the valley or Sunset Boulevard. Yeah, I guess south is swankier in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've moved.
Speaker 2: Technically it was even more ten Hills.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not where I thought it. I thought it was closer to the Beverly Hills Hotel.
Speaker 2: It's not far Okay, Okay, okay, So being Crosby's house or do you want me to go back to my original house? You're like, no, this is all about the manor.
Speaker 1: Episode's the manor Yeah, okay, so bing Crosby's House.
Speaker 2: My parents obviously they went and looked at it. I'm sure my mom had narrowed it down and that was the one. But it was exciting for us because my brother Randy and I got to go and he was really little. He won't remember this, but at twelve we went and coored it and it was like, oh my god, a kid's paradise. And I was totally always into like mystery, and back then that was creezy sounding. Okay, mystery, Nancy Drew, you know all of that. So we went and there was like tin passage ways and there was like underground like a library that you pushed on something and it went into these like secret rooms. It was like full on to the point where I was like, oh my god, this is my life, mom, you have to keep it like this. But it also had a full on zoo. No, oh, a full on zoo.
Speaker 1: But he had animals like giraffes.
Speaker 2: He had wow drafts, there were lamas and Crosby had on yes, And I mean, I I know, I don't know if it was like og bing Crosby's house. I think it was still in the family though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they got it. It might not. He might have not been living there, right, got it, got it, got it.
Speaker 2: But it was like, I mean, built like zoo. So the property house was smaller. It was mostly property was like these ginormous new like settings of you know, walking by the giraffes and they were all I mean, it was like it was crazy for me, being an animal lover, I was like and mystery girl, I was like hidden passageways, zoo animals. I'm in even though I don't like massive properties.
Speaker 1: Just because I want to get to your house. And so then your mom levels this. This becomes dirt. Okay. So just to give people like a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of a great picture of the day they bulldozed it down.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, we want to see that. So fifty six thousand square feet is what this house is going to become. Now, I live in a just under two thousand square foot house, so we're talking my house thirty times basically.
Speaker 2: Thirty three thousand square foot house. I don't do math, So what's what would be my house?
Speaker 1: So it's you know, twenty of your houses right now.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I just crazy.
Speaker 1: So because like I think about it like this, If I walk out my door and I look at thirty houses basically because my neighborhood, they're all about the same size, that would be your house. So I have to walk from my house thirty houses down.
Speaker 2: So anyway, a town like a townhouse compound with your entire compound is just your house.
Speaker 1: It would take so to walk. Did you ever like walk from one end of the house to the other. It would take ten minutes no longer.
Speaker 2: No, well well well well I'm not okay. So there were two main entrances. There is the grand entrance. There were two driveways.
Speaker 1: Like a like a fancy people entrance, and then like the staff entrance. Right where did you park your car in the front or in the back in the staff place or.
Speaker 2: The again have you met me? Of course? The staff, like you know, it was just no, that was easy. And that's where my mom and dad came in. Like it was just easy. You pulled right in and they came in the back.
Speaker 1: Okay, so guess would come in the front, Yes, would come.
Speaker 2: The long, long driveway and you know, pull into this massive I mean, dare I say Dynasty us? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well bigger that Dynasty house was smaller.
Speaker 2: Right, but the grand not the driveway. But what's the it you go a long driveway into a circular driveway. I guess it was like a massive massive It's where I had my first wedding. But from the aerial view that everyone takes, you look down and you see that big circular driveway. That's the massive one. And the steps are like white house steps like leading up to the Give me just.
Speaker 1: Some basic stats. How many bedrooms? How many bathrooms do you remember?
Speaker 2: I have to google. I never counted, but.
Speaker 1: You definitely never went like potty in every single bathroom?
Speaker 2: God, oh you know me, that would have been such a fun coffee.
Speaker 1: And how many kitchens was there like one kitchen and then like where the caterers cook, or how many kitchens there was one?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, So from memory, I think I have read there were a hundred. I don't know why I'm pulling out this number, but it's probably true. One hundred and twenty five rooms, I think. Okay, So okay, we can google. Oh, okay, so kitchen one massive kitchen.
Speaker 1: Okay. And did your mom cook or were there just always staff cooking?
Speaker 2: My mom is actually a great cook, a tremendous baker m hm.
Speaker 1: But not she didn't.
Speaker 2: She would show them like her recipes and definitely do that with them. And she was always hands on with you know, kind of curating the menus and stuff. But and she loves to throw a good dinner party and was totally hands on. But we definitely always had.
Speaker 1: A chef, okay. And then were there people that are cooked for us? Okay? Got it? And were there people that lived there like security or a housekeeper? Like was there always someone living there?
Speaker 2: Yes, there was the staff, like the staff wing, which was like half the second floor.
Speaker 1: So your nanny was also she No, she lived with us, Okay, got it? Okay, go back to living with us, Like this is so crazy. No, it's not given time.
Speaker 2: There were at fourteen you know, I mean, there were always like fourteen people there I'm not sure that because keep in mind I only lived at the manor.
Speaker 1: We moved I allegedly.
Speaker 2: When I was sixteen, maybe it was closer to seventeen. We actually moved in, and then I moved out when I was like eighteen and a half.
Speaker 1: So you live there like a year, a year to two okay, yeah, okay, So I just have so many questions.
Speaker 2: All right, so you moved away, security around the clock in the garden.
Speaker 1: So it takes four years to build this thing and then you move in.
Speaker 2: Wait, I did something wrong? Then, oh twelve, thirty, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, five years it was six so I was seventeen then we moved in.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you move in and what can you remember that You're like, was it did it seem like, okay, this is where I live? Or were you like this is nuts.
Speaker 2: So by the time we moved in, so I was seventeen because I had my sweet sixteen at the Old House and I start at nine oh two and oh at the Old House and that's where they all came for the first cast reading. Okay, old House, So I was definitely seventeen by then nine oh two and oh was in full swing. I don't think I had a chance to really do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like in and out working all week and then you know, like Sean would sleep over on the weekends and we would definitely go out. But I definitely wasn't like, oh my god, this place is amazing. I was just like, Okay, this is why we're here.
Speaker 1: So I God, there's so many questions, all right, so let's talk quickly about the yard. There's one pool, there's.
Speaker 2: Multiple pools, one pool, one pool, hot toa back, yeah, hotta some kind of hot there was there. There was a chacuzzi, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Then was there like a poolhouse, Okay, a pool house that had like probably another kitchen. I would assume bathrooms back good.
Speaker 2: But the poolhouse was connected to the little hallway that was the projection room. So that whole room with all the old like because we had full on movies every Saturday nights.
Speaker 1: Right, So was there movie theater chairs in this room? And was there popcorn candy that type of thing? And somebody was hired in and came in and was a projectist and ran like real movies. Correct.
Speaker 2: So my dad obviously his long standing ties with ABC. He had Benny and Benny was our projectionist at our first house and our and our new house, and he would come and on Saturday nights he would come at like six, set up for a movie at eight, and in our old house we would have two movies, a kids movie at six, adult movie at eight, and friends came over. So this would be like Friends came over.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: My mom always wanted it to not just be like, oh, a projection room like people have theater theater theater rooms now, which the chairs and everything. He wanted it to feel like it was a room that when it was time for a movie, transformed into wow, okay, theater room. Think of like a massive living room, formal living room. Let's go with sectioned off into two areas. A down area which had couches and chairs, huge ginormous coffee table like five of our coffee tables, always her infamous candy dishes out everywhere that was gonnas.
Speaker 1: So there wasn't a concession stand. It was more like a living room vibe with yes.
Speaker 2: And then the upper level would be like one step up and that would be couches and when she pushed a button it was seamless carpet. The far end it was like, uh, and this screen which filled the entire It was like not one of those like when you go to the movie theaters and you're like, shoot, I got the small theater.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Like it was the big one.
Speaker 2: It was massive and it filled the entire wall, which not just the wall.
Speaker 1: It was like, you know, like a museum size.
Speaker 2: Wall, and the paintings behind where she and my dad would sit on the upper level.
Speaker 1: The paintings would.
Speaker 2: Rise though, and not just like paintings like that was behind the picassos and like hey you know.
Speaker 1: Well okay pause pause pause, pas clog in the play there actually were picassos or like fancy somethings, fancy art. It wasn't like from Wayfair.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm did she have a Pipasso, Monet and renoirs?
Speaker 1: Okay? I mean just yes, this may need to be a two parter. Okay. So these things come up and what is behind them?
Speaker 2: When you're in a movie theater and you look back and you see I guess you don't see them anymore. Yeah, like the widows where it's being and the projection room was behind it, so those had to go up projected project Yeah, but like huge and she had this on just a button that would just be under a table. She's really meticulous about everything, you know, like it wouldn't be like a clicker or something.
Speaker 1: There was ever a technical snaffoo? Did that just put her.
Speaker 2: Side at it? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, once in a bloom moon control all delete and you're back up again.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, celebrities and we would always make popcorn and bring it in.
Speaker 1: Did celebrities come for these movie nights?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Who were the friends? Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm sure. I mean by the time we were at the manor and it was mainly gosh, it would be like my mom and she would have like a couple friends over my dad. My dad would come down like his pajamas in thebe Yeah. Yeah. And my brother and I would bring friends so predominantly like us and stuff.
Speaker 1: Now I have a million questions to ask, but I don't want to forget to ask this, so I'm going out of order. When your dad passed away and your mom decided to sell the house, were you sad? Did you want her to? Did you not want her to? How did you feel about that when she sold the house?
Speaker 2: I can honestly say I have no emotional attachment to the house. Yeah, and I never, I never did. I have good memories there. But my childhood was my memories. The best memories with my mom and dad were created at our.
Speaker 1: Their house, at the other house. Okay, yea fair enough.
Speaker 2: And I feel like, you know, the house wasn't my dad's jam. It was a little big for me and cozy, and my mom loves to decorate. Her design taste is amazing, her architectural taste, like she you know, it was like a dream thing for her to build.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get to some of that. Okay, So because there were some of these weird rooms, I don't want to say weird, maybe unique to a very wealthy person that the average person does not have. We hear rumors of the bowling alley, the wrapping room, the room that maybe stored the Christmas decorations. I don't know. Tell me some of those rooms and what was true. So let's start with the bowling alley. Was there in fact a bowling alley? How many lanes?
Speaker 2: There was a bowling alley and it was two lanes?
Speaker 1: I believe somebody super into bowling.
Speaker 2: My dad.
Speaker 1: Okay, so my dad was a great bowler.
Speaker 2: My mom and dad used to go bowling dates when they were, you know, first met, and like bowling was always something he loved. But I think once he became like so famous and such a workaholic, he like stopped doing all of that. So that was her way of giving him something that he didn't feel like he had to go out and do. He had it right there at home. That was for him. And that was really cool because we had the bowling lanes and was this like.
Speaker 1: I picture it underground? Was it?
Speaker 2: It was so when you enter the house, the ground level is everything and that you would think of on a ground level, and then there's an elevator.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would not go in the unique I would need the stairs, which I'm sure there were. You'd have to it's a house.
Speaker 2: Uh yes, So you would take the elevator stairs for you know, all the bedrooms and everything, and then you would take the elevator downstairs, almost like going to the basement level where that's where all these unique rooms that you're going to want to hear about.
Speaker 1: So give it all to me. Talk to me.
Speaker 2: Bowling alley, bowling alley, but let me go through the bowling alley really quick. So in the bowling alley. It was like all my dad. So he had framed like my mom curated it, framed photos of him going back to when he was like an actor and directed and early producing moments. And then he had like all his awards on a shelf so they would have like his Emmys and like everything. And then he also had my mom had a closet you would open and it was bowling shoes and every single size and they were a stripe down the middle half was burgundy or maroon, half was great and they would have sizes on the back. Yeah, so you never had to worry about that when he came over.
Speaker 1: So you could have real bowling shoes just like at a bowling alley. Okay, correct.
Speaker 2: And then we had bowling balls, but my dad had his as bowling ball initialed. I believe my mom had one initialed. And then there were other bowling balls for reverything.
Speaker 1: Like I know this seems weird, but like did someone run the bowling alley, like who's setting the pins? Like or could a house manager come and do that.
Speaker 2: That was on the remote that you could do or something on the side of the wall that anyone could do. So my brother and I had friends over or something. We could manage it ourself, no one had to help.
Speaker 1: That was there a room like at the time, I would think it would be a racquet ball or something like. Was there another sort of gym or basketball court or anything else down there?
Speaker 2: Bowling was not working out runs in my family, so we weren't physical people. The gym was in there in the bowling Oh my god. You know my mom used to train with like this is og Do you remember by Jake?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 2: Yeah, before he was bodied by Jake, he was like my mom's personal trainer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wow, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: So they would do that tiny, small gym, but right next to the elevator and then you'd go in. So where you go in before you would go to the left and go to the bowling alley, there was this whole bar area, massive fish tank, and then there would be the bar in front of it.
Speaker 1: Whoa okay, like serve drinks bar.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it was like a bar you would go to, except there wasn't a bartender behind it. But it was like had sides like you could probably see like twenty people at this bar.
Speaker 1: I don't know, God, okay, I've never known that before, all right, So what else is down there? Okay?
Speaker 2: And then you go to the right and there's a little door. There was an arcade, arcade arcade. Now we had an arcade. I think my dad had like a vintage pinball machine when he was young when he first like made it, like he got one, and I think he always loved like vintage arcade games. So in my first house we had an arcade, and we had a juke box which came all these og games came along, and then one O Pa. We had pac Man and Miss pac Man. Okay, we had uh Space Invaders, we had Pong. We had the jukebox which was very like had old school like Dean Martin, like my godfather like stuff all the way.
Speaker 1: Slash Dance. There's obviously a juke box in the peach pit, and like the there's that pinball at the walshes. So you see sort of little right.
Speaker 2: Those two things were really important to my dad totally, all right. And yeah, and then we had like new games and stuff like that. So that was in the arcade and a vintage pinball machine that my mom had made for my dad and only two of them exist, and she made one to go in the arcade in the manor, and one to go in his office.
Speaker 1: He's still around.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I think she does.
Speaker 1: I think she doesn't in the store or no, you know what, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: She does have one.
Speaker 1: It's at the beach House in arcade there, which is a small.
Speaker 2: Room, and I'm not sure where the other one is. But it was amazing because it was drawn. It was all pieces from his life. We were on it and all his shows. And then when you do the.
Speaker 1: Island, yeah, and you hit certain.
Speaker 2: Things, it would have the voices from the different actors from his shows.
Speaker 1: Like I would say morning Angels.
Speaker 2: Yes, or love are welcomed to Fantasy Island.
Speaker 1: Or wow, I don't know what, the TJ and the Hookers.
Speaker 2: And Dynasty Yeah, yeah, and had my voice, my brother's voice, my mom's voice.
Speaker 1: Right right, Charlie's Angels was your dad. I didn't make that up. Okay for a second, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, like literally all his stars voiced the things on the pinball when it would hit certain things, it was It's incredible. So that was in there, and then you would go out of the arcade and go into this big mass another massive room which had the pool table in the center. Okay, so there's My dad was a really great at pool. Another thing he loved. I don't remember what else was in that room. It was expansive. But if you go clear through that and open the doors, you enter the doll museum.
Speaker 1: The doll that's right, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, doll museum.
Speaker 1: So what kind of stuff was in there?
Speaker 2: Well, my mom since childhood loved Madam Alexander gals yep, and she gave that love to me, and I would always have a collection of Madam Alexander dolls throughout my childhood. I always got them, but they were like the fancy dolls. They weren't the dolls you could play with, like the barbies. You could cut their hair and do all that with So I kind of never loved them because I couldn't like express myself with them and like redress their little things. Sure, sure, they're like collector's items. So so she collected those, We collected those. She collected those and grew and grew and grew her collection, and then eventually she also had the Candy Spelling doll collection on QBC that's right, which was inspired by this, and they were amazing too, and I might get it backwards, but in the vein of Madame Alexander, they would have different height ones, and so the different height ones, I think there were two sizes on QBC. One size was modeled after her face as a kid, and one face was modeled after mine. Oh, this is something I just thought of. I didn't remember this until we started talking.
Speaker 1: Wow, this up. So she did well with those dolls, so she sort of business Wow. Okay, yeah, so that did you ever go play?
Speaker 2: Not really in that room lighting and there was like big ones, the small ones, and they were all displayed. And then my dad also had a collection of oh shoot, palm toms not the scandal. Wait hold up, wait wait it's like automatoms. Am I saying it right? Vintage? They moved like originally like the monkey like cupping. She had like og monkey one, which super scary. But there were like ones that really were intricate that you would turn on and things would move around it. We couldn't touch this these either. They were like thousands of dollars, but I don't know. She had them all on display.
Speaker 1: Tom Toms how.
Speaker 2: Do you spell it? A Tomton's? I just remember it's like the monkey clapping like you would wind it up and be okay. But they had like really intricate ones that like you would turn like almost like a wind up on and like.
Speaker 1: Things would move and go around.
Speaker 2: And then she had a stage. Oh my god, for like puppets, no marionettes.
Speaker 1: It's like animatronics. Animatronics like chuck E cheese.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I wish I would have been great. Okay, so you guys.
Speaker 1: Hint creepy for me. I love your mom, but this room's a little creepy. I'm not totally feeling this.
Speaker 2: She's a collector. Okay, it was creepy as fuck. Yeah. If people going friends, oh my god. I used to fuck with my friends so bad because no, no, I'm not kidding. And Brian and I.
Speaker 1: Talk about this.
Speaker 2: So there if you go, if you go down the bowling alley and you go right down the back like where the gutter is right, what this.
Speaker 1: Is like a trip? Okay, keep going.
Speaker 2: Okay, So one time Brian Green and I and all our friends like we were over and I showed him but I used to do this with all my friends. Like he wasn't scared. But like I've had some friends that I have messed with bad. You would go down the bowling alley to the back and there was like you would push the wall it was seamless and it would pop open and you would go and you could go around the whole mechanics of the back of the mono and I mean it was like, I don't know, everything was down there. It was like the workings of awe whoa okay, And that would take you all the way around. It was dark and we weren't supposed to go back there, sorry, mom. And you would come out on another wall you would push seamless and it would pop you into the doll museum, which is on the other side of the house on the basement level.
Speaker 1: Did you ever play Hide and go Seek in this house? My gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But we had to stop because one time I had a friend get lost. We can find her for two days, and it was a problem. Her parents were furious. I just made that up. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Hide and seek it was like impossible. I mean, if you hand like a three day hide and Seek adventure, I mean imagine escape rooms and immersive events.
Speaker 1: Totally totally all right, you're in the okay, pop this call.
Speaker 2: We would scare friends, first of all, just the way you're reacting. Almost every friend that I would bring over, like girls in high.
Speaker 1: School, would be like they'd walk into the.
Speaker 2: Doll museum and I'd be like adjusting the lights to dim them perfectly, and they're like, this is creepy.
Speaker 1: Sorry eighties children with Poultergeist, and it's just like the clown will never leave.
Speaker 2: Everyone was scared, terrified, but we my brother and I would mess with them and like you would be like, oh, someone, you know, one of us take you on a tour. And then someone would pop through that door and go around the back and go whoa. And then they'd be like, would.
Speaker 1: Your mom go down there and kind of enjoy it or you know, rearrange the dolls? Like would she go down there? Or maybe like I don't know what was happening in there, nothing a lot enough.
Speaker 2: You would check to see if everything was dusted, but I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Sorry, all right, So then what else is down there? What else is down in this sort of basement? Is this where the wrapping room is? Oh no, the wrapping room wasn't.
Speaker 2: Down there now, So there were two wrapping rooms two two, and then they one.
Speaker 1: Wrapping like on the walls, like at the department stores where you could go off that big thing and run, or it was it regular roles.
Speaker 2: Oh duh, okay, okay, now I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean she like put it in where it was like seamless to the wall. You would have like the beautiful did she do all of it?
Speaker 1: So she did the.
Speaker 2: Wrapping, Wow, all of it?
Speaker 1: Wow, it was her.
Speaker 2: I mean it's d y, just a very elevated level. I have a craft drawer, for instance. That's the extensive extense crafty people.
Speaker 1: But like on Christmas, ravigantly wrapped in gifts that your mom rapped.
Speaker 2: And this was going back to when I was little, so she always like wanted to have She was like, one day, I'm gonna have like a dedicated gift wrapping room. And she did, and she would have My mom so organized. She's she's a Virgo double virgo, so she likes things very organized.
Speaker 1: I wish I had. I was going to say, just like you, not at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm like the opposite, maybe because my life was so organized growing up, I just was like book it. He went the opposite. Who knows.
Speaker 1: It's a theory.
Speaker 2: Uh, but she would have everything, like one wall would just be like Riven. One wall would just be all little what we would think of now trinkets, charms, and it would be like, yeah, it was every animal. It would be like going into Michael's basically.
Speaker 1: But way better curated super sheet. Okay, so here's my question. Was the house always organized like no one had clutter?
Speaker 2: Like where was the clutter? No clutter in my brain?
Speaker 1: And was your room always like clean and organized there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? WHOA, I wonder if like you're not my doing.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I wonder if like your clutter thing is because you never had clutter before. Sorry to call you out, but Tori's not. She's a little messy, guys, Like she's a little messy messiest.
Speaker 2: Fuck. Yeah, it's interesting when I go to other people's houses or like a if we stay in an airbnb and get super excited to like make everything pretty and make it look great, like yeah, great right, But in my own life, no, it doesn't happen even before kids. Yeah, I don't know, I mean, but keep in mind, you guys, I grew up that I'm not taught like, hey, when you take something off, you put it here and fold in like oh okay, okay, okay. From a young but yeah, this is what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Like I would take.
Speaker 2: Something off or you know, and before it hit the ground some ground it It was you know, it was just I remember my best friend Jess. This is not that long ago, you guys, this is like seven years ago.
Speaker 1: Uh I was.
Speaker 2: She was like, oh, She's like, we grabbed the vacuum. We had made a mess and it was like after New Year's and she was like, there's confetti and I was like okay. And she was sitting there and I went and grabbed it and then I was like you. She goes, what are you doing? And I go, I don't know how to turn a vacuum on. She goes what And she was laughing. She was dying.
Speaker 1: She's like, is this a joke? Right now?
Speaker 2: I was like, it's not a joke. I'm so embarrassed. I don't even want to say. And then she was like, no, you know what, Actually it makes sense, like the way you grew up, like we all get taught that we or.
Speaker 1: We would get like paid like a dollar to vacuum the house, right, so like you're not going to get paid a vacuum of fifty six.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I mean it m'd be more than all area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the in the eighties. In the eighties, I think we had a vacuum and then you'd rake the rug. I never did the raking, but like my mom can remember, like you'd rake the rug.
Speaker 2: I hear stories of this from friends, and I'm like, I wanted that when I was young. I mean, we'll do that in another episode. We got to talk the whole episode about literally growing up, because I on summer vacations would beg the staff that worked at my first house growing up to just work for them and follow them around all day and have lunch with them.
Speaker 1: Wow, just taking this all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a whole different story. But yeah, that was me growing up. Like I was like, you know, yeah, anyway, it's next. Am I blowing your mind right now?
Speaker 1: You're like, no, just to like the whole thing. The whole thing is just like a lot. All right, let's go from the basement upstairs right on the main level. I'm sure there was like we don't need to get the weeds, but there's like a living room, dining room. Now, did you ever have spelling family dinners like that was just the four of you, yes, but not in the dining room in the where were room? And is that attached to the kitchen or it was separate. So there you enter the house from the side what you would call it like the staff entrance, but that was our end. It was like every wheel right, your car came through there. We never came through the big heavy doors.
Speaker 2: In the front, and to the right was the guard's room. To the left was guard staff like kitchen.
Speaker 1: Now when you say sorry, when you say the guard's room, like it's where the guard slept, or it's where the guard is like in his little space and like twenty monitors and is like making sure. Wow, okay, So the two.
Speaker 2: Security guards twenty four hours a day, they took shifts. No one slept there. What did they have guns?
Speaker 1: Good question? Probably.
Speaker 2: I believe they were all retired police officers, So I believe they did. Which in my old house when I was young, not all of them were armed. And there would be uh college kids that would do it as like a side job at night. Oh my friends and I would sneak in there and.
Speaker 1: I think they were cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so the.
Speaker 1: Guard all right, I'm just the guards. I'm not gonna lie, I'm just overwhelmed or in the dogs.
Speaker 2: The dogs always, I don't even know why had their beds in the dogs in the guard's room. This is from when we were young, so it just like carried on, carried on, and so the dogs would be in their beds in there. They had full roam of the house but I don't know, and the guards would take them mountain stuff. Then the staff like kitchen slash dining room to the left where they would eat lunch and everything and had brakes. Then this kind of moss hallway, and then to the left would be the ginormous kitchen. It was a huge two of like two refrigerators, two freezers like all of that. Then there'd be the silver room, silver country.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, okay, which that stuff is a real pain in the ass to polish. I would I don't. I would never use silver because you have to hand wash it and polish it a.
Speaker 2: Trop Oh my gosh. I'm not sure how often. But the butler would that would be like a full day job to.
Speaker 1: We're gonna need it. We're gonna We're going to pause again, the butler, So is there like a butler that answers the door like and does all the the butt. I need to know what this guy did. So did you ever answer the front door or like the butler did?
Speaker 2: Or did it? Uh? No, I just wanted to go there, butler did the butler? Hey, once we got to the manor, I feel like we didn't really have a skeler as much.
Speaker 1: Did your dad have like a right hand man two that would like start up the car or your dad didn't drive right? Oh?
Speaker 2: Big Renee that was his name, because my dad he had two Renees in his life. Female Renee, who is his assistant. He called his work wife like she was with her before he even met my mom. That's how they were together, went through from small to big with him and then Renee. His driver was a retired chauffeur for a service and he was his He drove us everywhere, drove my dad to work and back. And yeah, did your dad ever drive? No?
Speaker 1: What about your mom? Yes? Okay, wow, So your dad had this driver and like this guy would come at eight am or seven am or whatever and just be there until he dropped him off at night and take him around. Like if your dad was like I need to go to a lunch.
Speaker 2: It the you know right, damn must have driven at some point. I mean I remember us on Saturdays, like going to thrifties my dad and I.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember to get ice cream. Oh my god? So how many cars? How many cars were there? Like was there a big in this staff entrance? Was there a big garage and a lot of cars? Like what kind of car did your dad drive around in? Like a Rolls Royce Stretch, a Limo, Nomo?
Speaker 2: And and then I think like, yeah, we had the white Limo in the eighties, Like growing up it was the white long stretch eighties Limo. And then I feel like my mom like transitioned him to like more modern times and then he had like a town car in Okay probably once we moved there. It was like a town car.
Speaker 1: But you would like a family trip, like, say, y'all are going because you didn't fly, so say you're all going to like I don't know, somebody, I'm just making it up. Did a driver drive you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And an RV? Oh my god, and an r V? And how who else would come along?
Speaker 2: The nanny, the nanny, my dad's assistant, my mom's assistant, Jerry and when we were young, who was like our security guard slash like family, like you did everything with us driver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there was no like just the four of you barely ever.
Speaker 2: No, we would go on smaller trips than there would be I guess when I'm thinking like family vacations in RV, I'm thinking Vegas because we would go there and stay for like a month, and my dad would also film and do all that so he could work and be with us. But I guess when we went to like, you know, if we were going to like San Diego for the weekend or something like that, it wouldn't be it would just be the four of us and maybe a nanny.
Speaker 1: Ya. Wow, all right, so week can we go back to where were we? Yeah, we're gonna have to do a part two.
Speaker 2: There's some hard ship, right, this is crazy stuff. I'm not I'm remembering for the first time in twenty years. This is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we haven't even gotten to the bathrooms. I haven't gotten to the bedrooms I have I don't know what's in the attic, Like, there's so much. All right, to end this first part of say It, Secrets of the Manner, Secrets of the secrets.
Speaker 2: I could do better?
Speaker 1: So well, how do I even like end this? It's like, was it happy? There?
Speaker 2: There can of We're going to go.
Speaker 1: Into so much more. I mean I have like did you ever just get a tune, a fish sandwich and go sit in a chaise lounge out by the pool? I mean, was there a ping pong table?
Speaker 2: I got?
Speaker 1: I got endless questions. But just because this is overwhelming, like was it fun? There? Was it fun?
Speaker 2: Well? We had so much fun, but like, I'll leave you on this for this one fifty six thousand square foot house, one hundred and twenty five ish rooms maybe more, and the only rooms my core four person family ever used all the time.
Speaker 1: Was the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my parents' office because my dad had his own office.
Speaker 1: There was your dad's office and then their office correct, wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, And his office was the one he did all his business meetings in and my mom had every show and movie he ever did, leather bound scripts, walls, you know, Florida ceiling covering, a big desk, you know, and he'd have great meetings in there, and we watch all his dailies in there that I loved going in there. But yeah, so our family office the kitchen, our bedrooms, which my parents' bedroom, my brother and I and and I guess like the lower level, which just the bowling alley, the bar, and the arcade, because we were scared of the doll museum too, and that's like all we ever went in. Ever in the bathroom, was there a family keep in mind. Oh wait, I'll leave you on this fun one. My brother and I. I think this is very like fancy European or something. But each of our rooms had a guest room.
Speaker 1: What so like when you had a friend sleepover, they could sleep in the room attached to your room.
Speaker 2: Like it was like an alcove in the main hallway and you go into this alcove and there'd be a vested mule, and then you could go left within this festibule and make left. You'd go into my room. Right, you would go into my guest room. It's very fancy that left in the bathroom or you shared the bathroom.
Speaker 1: No, oh yeah, Tory's guests room had its own bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it was kind of in the theory of like a two bedroom suiteet at a hotel. You have the main room and then you have the other one. Guess who slept in that guest bedroom.
Speaker 1: Shannon, nobody. No everybody slept in them.
Speaker 2: We all piled in my bed and wanted to be cozy and hang out and beat girls, and no one ever slept in that room.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have to make a bed or did someone come and make your bed every day?
Speaker 2: I never made a bed till I moved to my first apartment, or if I slept at friends' houses, but I was never allowed really, only like one once or twice I would help them.
Speaker 1: Wow, So I know, send more questions. But I'm also gonna let people send us their questions for part two Secrets of the Manor. So send us your d ms or write them on you know, Instagram, so we can for part two because like, we haven't even covered any of the things I wanted to cover.
Speaker 2: We have to find these on eBay somewhere. I wish I had kept one. There were pens that my mom had made. Penza said this was stolen from the Manner who she was being funny.
Speaker 1: Very really get a president ever come to the Manor.
Speaker 2: Oh, Prince Charles.
Speaker 1: My god, Okay, join us for part two of Secrets of the Manor, coming soon, and you will hear about Prince Charles's visit to the manner. You can't say it right.
Speaker 2: You say it secrets the manner. Oh, I'm getting better. This is fun.