Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosy Night and to me my X ray Vision, our x ray Vision. This is the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. We're turning to your feeds on a regular cadence in May, but X MEN ninety seven is on. We just could not wait to share our thoughts with you. In today's special preview episode, we'll be talking about some ongoing nerd stuff news, including a silver Surfer casting question mark. Rosie has some thoughts about whether that is entirely accurate. Disney defends itself from a investor uprising, and in the airline Volks, we talk about x N ninety seven. Let's go. First up in news, Disney fens off their activist investor uprising, Nelson Peltz again campaigning for a board seat, has been rebuffed in a voter campaign that saw Disney spending some forty dollars on marketing to let their investor base, which includes a lot of just regular folks who have Disney stock. We saw a pr campaign to let them know, hey, you got a vote on this, and Bob Eiger and the board emerge victorious.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, Rosie, Well, this is the reason that this is interesting is not just because oh it's business news.
Speaker 4: And we love to talk about it.
Speaker 3: But the uprising is being puppet masted by everyone favorite novel Disney villain, Ike Palma. So he and Pelts have been trying to do this for a long time. Get rid of Eiger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, talk about they don't want any women in movies.
Speaker 3: They hate the woe kagenda.
Speaker 4: Why why did black Panther have to be or we don't need it? Yeah, why does that have to happen?
Speaker 3: So honestly, always happy to see these guys taken out. Anything that makes Ike Palma are upset makes me happy.
Speaker 2: Get about it here.
Speaker 3: I was actually surprised because I did think with the issues that Iers had in recent kind of years, it might have been more of a problem during his little kind of comeback. It hasn't gone necessarily the way he wanted. But Disney had that big they'd actually made a ton of money off Marvel and Star Wars in that time, No surprises, So yeah, suck at Pelma. Get out it, get out of it, Get out of it.
Speaker 2: In more news, the silver Surfer has been catching for the upcoming Fantastic Stick for movie. Deadline reports that Julia Garner, who you might remember from Ozark, has been cast as shar La Ball, But Rosie asks, does that mean that the story that she's cast as a Silver Surfer is necessarily accurate? Your thoughts?
Speaker 4: So this is my theory? Would I love a female Silver Surfa?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Have we heard?
Speaker 2: We love it?
Speaker 3: Have we heard that this was a rumor they've been trying to do for a long time. I was actually if I was trying to cast a non binary person as a silver Surfer in my very beloved fan cast from a few years ago. But we've heard about this rumor of the female silver Surfer? Is it going to be Annya Taylor Joy? Julia Ganna fits that same mold. But the reality is I'm not gonna get too excited yet because I do believe there is a chance that Deadline just were told she's been cast as Charla Ball in the Silver SFA movie, and then someone there was like, oh, well, she played you know, Charlah Ball was the Silver Surfer one time, one time in Earth Facts, you know. So I'm not gonna fully believe that she is the Silver Surfer because that is not necessarily a big part of Charla Ball's character. Scharla Ball is a Noorin rad aka the Silver Surfer's lover, and she's you know, she's very famously in the Silver Surfer animated series, which is fantastic and you should definitely check it out.
Speaker 4: And I hope that she is going to get to be the Silver Surfer.
Speaker 3: And actually, Jason, you made a great point, which is look at Victor timely.
Speaker 4: Look at these characters.
Speaker 3: That they're bringing in who've been in like four issues. So actually them taking the fact that Charli Ball was Silver Surfer in like a couple of issues actually makes quite a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: What I'm most interested in is with Charla Ball.
Speaker 3: Does this mean that we're going to get to see zen Law and all of Nora and Rad's home and that would be really cool because I love that stuff and the power cosmic and kind of Galactus. Okay, and you asked one of my favorite questions, which is, now we have female Silver Surfer.
Speaker 2: Pot we get who we get Lady Galactus?
Speaker 3: Well, we get galactis I hope? So I want to see Galactus. Let's let's noy Bob Iger and now some Poults and make it all women. So bob By yours for it. Sorry, sorry Poults, now some pounds and at it He's like, oh, I'm a Selvasafa superstart.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine that she could ever be a woman.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then finally new X Men line coming the days of Krakoa or are have sadly sadly and I mean this, I'm very sad. I'm I'm so sad that the Kracoa peak is done. It needed to happen, but this was the highest the X Men have ever road in mar Yeah, it's the most relevant they've ever been in a in twenty years. It's the most powerful they've been ever in the history of them as characters within the universe. And it's over at south By Southwest. The ex Office announced a bunch of new projects, and the one that we're really interested in is Exceptional x Men, written by show pal eve L euing with art Wow.
Speaker 3: Ex Rason Bestie writing the X Men, I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Let's go tell us what it's about.
Speaker 4: Official solicit mutant Kind's two greatest teachers Mold the next generation of X Men.
Speaker 3: Kate Pride has returned home to Chicago, Eve, you just can't help yourself. Following the war with Orcis, having stepped away from the world of mutantdom, she is nevertheless called back into action as she crosses paths with a trio of new young mutants, Bronze, Axo and Melee, who clearly need training and guidance.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately for Kate, Emma Frost thinks, so as well, this is going to be a gay book.
Speaker 2: Man, So let me just mutant Kind's two greatest teachers. I had never thought about, like a power ranking of Mutant Kine's greatest teachers.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I think that Listen Wolverine ran the school for a while, and I think he did a pretty good job. Storm is up there. For me, Storm has got to be up there. But I gotta say I kind of don't disagree that Cad and Emma are the two greatest teachers.
Speaker 3: It is huge everywhere. She's been teaching them in Upstate New York. She's been teaching him in Genosha, She's been teaching him on Krakoa. Emma Frost is a real one. I love her so much. I think this is really great.
Speaker 4: I love that this has three new mutants like who we haven't met before.
Speaker 3: Also, Eve said, I hope that for some thirteen or fourteen year old readers, this might be the first comic book they pick up. And I love that mindset because that's definitely why I was thinking of with Godzilla, Monster Island, Summer Camp, and I think Eva is the person to do it. Also, the other teams, obviously Jed McKay, who's like the Marvel stalwart right now, he's doing a book with Ryan Stegman if you're an Invincible fan, which is just adjectiveless X Men, so just X Men, and then Gail Simone on ther Yeah, and I believe that will make her like if this is an ongoing Uncanny book, she could really be breaking some new ground here. And that's going to be your more classic Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Jubilee and Wolverine team. And what was really cool is they released these with an interlocking cover, you know, kind of like what they did with X Men ninety one, where you could see each of the different teams and each of those covers will join together. If you want to know who's going to be on the main X Men team, Cyclops, Beast, Magneto, Silock, Kid, Omega and Temper formerly known as Oyer, as well as Magic Illiana Everybody Loves Her and shocking addition Juggernaut.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So I think these are going to be some really exciting, really exciting books.
Speaker 2: I'm excited because the X Men listen, I weep for the Krakoa era. At the same time, my introduction to the X Men is like a week to week reader was really this outlaw period when they were running around in the outback of Australia. So a return to that kind of vibe is very very exciting to me. Next up more X Men with the X Men ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then when the first two episodes dropped and I hit play and that music hit, I was like, I can't believe this is back. I can't do this.
Speaker 3: And not just that, like something that I couldn't quite that hadn't quite considered how exciting it would be is getting to see these characters who some of them were in the show but who didn't get to and that opening, like getting to see Bishop in that iconic X Men opening, and the way that they kind of reimagined it, which for so many of us is an iconic maybe the most iconic cartoon opening of all time.
Speaker 4: It's up there with anime, and a lot of American shows.
Speaker 3: Never get a theme tune and opening that is up there with that catchiness of what anime can do.
Speaker 4: It was magical. I went into this with.
Speaker 3: Like relatively low expectations only because how do you build on something that is so iconic. That Also, a lot of what we love about it is more about our own nostalgia for it, Like when you go back, it's it's It was kind of rushed out, and the show doesn't necessarily animation wise, there were rough edges, but so much of what we love about it is our own interactions with it and how it shaped our love for these characters. So to be able to build on that and create something that feels relevant in the modern day that is in conversation with the audience, that also makes the subtext of The X Men so much more explicit.
Speaker 2: Much just that's part that the anime d beautiful. Okay, so let's get into it. Episode one and episode two, to Me My x Men and Mutant Liberation begins. This is the first two episode drop. When the show launched. To Me My x Men, Charles is gone. He's up in space following the events at the UN when Henry Gyrich attempted to kill Charles Xavier. The team is struggling to kind of carry on his mission and his absence, Cyclops taking on a more explicit leadership role, and the team swings into action to protect Brazilian teen rich Kid and emerging mutant Robert Costa from human extremists, who it turns out have Sentinel tech. Where they get that done done, Jean Gray finds out where they got it. They got it from Bolivar Trask, aka the un Musk of mutant genocides he loves to do it, who is teamed up with a sentient Sentinel master Mold to create new Sentinel tech. The X Men defeat Trask and the Mold, and later in what can only be described as an incredible jaw drop it twist, so we discover that Charles named his former arch rival supervillain Magneto as his heir, and Magneto is now in full legal control of the school.
Speaker 4: What and he says to me, my x Men, you are my x Men now?
Speaker 3: So this is so this is really fun, like I love this so much, and basically this is a really smart thing because it echoes the opening episode that we get of X Men ninety two, which is all about that big sentinel action. Nice to see the master mold, which is like a nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 4: Stanley Jack Kirby creation from X Men fifty.
Speaker 3: Then we also get that really famous moment of Magneto being in charge of the school.
Speaker 4: But they play it so well here in the comics. It was just like in a.
Speaker 3: Nineteen eighty seven issue of New Mutants, they're like, oh, Magneto is the head master, Now, how's that going. But here we get that great and he's in that classic m costume and he turns around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you'll find it's all mine.
Speaker 3: And if you know the comics, you may get a hint of Charles's true fate from the fact that Magneto has arrived.
Speaker 4: And then we're onto episode two. I mean, that's gotta be one of the best cliffhangers of like all times. It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's a shot.
Speaker 3: If you're only your main interaction with the X Men is this cartoon and kind of the movies and stuff, that's gotta blow you away.
Speaker 4: Like if you're not like us and you know this stuff inside out.
Speaker 3: Even for me. It gave me chills, and I gave Magneto why is he so sexy?
Speaker 4: Why does he have.
Speaker 2: A Gambit? Gibbitt is asking that very question.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Gambit, Gambit. I just have to say the reveal.
Speaker 3: My Gambit's just cooking in the kitchen with like a crop top on.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, I get it. I was like, this show is like gay gay, like this is like Lisa show, like folk. We are people who love the X Man. I was like, we all blast.
Speaker 2: I am very very happy that Gambit is essentially a Cajun himbo in this beautiful as it should be. Okay, liberation begins. Magneto or is our new headmaster. Guess what? Scott hates it? Hey, I guess you hate guess you.
Speaker 4: Hate it more?
Speaker 2: The humans? The humans really really hate it. Rogue surprisingly into it.
Speaker 3: Okay, gambits together in the Savage Lands.
Speaker 2: They have what is their relationship about? We're gonna learn more about it, don't worry you. Enforced led by Val Cooper storm the mansion. They're like, you got to give us the super villain and international criminal terrorist Magneto. And Magneto's like, listen, I'm trying to go straight. I'm gonna go on trial and if I win, then then I'm integrated into society because that's how the system should work. And they're not go all right. The Friends of Humanity aka human terrorists who hate mutants attack the trial and very very January sixth, and let me just say, like after the attempted assassination of Charles on that very same un stage, we need to get the un like.
Speaker 4: U Instata, get bassacure Amen.
Speaker 2: The X Men defeat them, but Storm is depowered potentially for good when she jumps in front of a blast intended for Magneto. Magneto then enters negotiations to repatriate any mutant who wants to leave what is a what is a very biased American society to the mutant nation of Genosha. Should they wish to leave, If they want to go, they can go. Rogue then uses her powers to acquire the medical knowledge necessary to deliver genes baby. The doctor didn't want to work on mutants, Okay, whatever, and then Storm, now depowered, takes a bus away from the Seamen Leek, I.
Speaker 3: Just have to say something here, and this is something I love about the show this is a new power for Rogue, Like she can she can take people's powers, yeah, but now she can just take a human's talents.
Speaker 4: Like I love it.
Speaker 3: He was a bigger he deserved it, but also terrifying and fantastic. And I like this as well because this episode basically rolls in a bunch of kind of.
Speaker 4: Really important moments.
Speaker 3: You get like the two hundred trial of Magneto, as well as the birth of baby Nathan, who I believe we see on the first page of that issue. We also get Storm being depowered. But what is really interesting here is that's like a huge moment in Uncanny one to eighty six, but in there she's she's saving Rogue, who's kind of on the run, this reformed villainess, and she's about to join the team after Storm saves her.
Speaker 4: So I think we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Probably see a lot more about like Storm's connection to Magneto, because that's a big choice and it would have been easy we have broke it could have been easy to do it for that, but they decided to mix it up. And I think it also showcases just what a powerful person Storm is because she chooses to do that even for someone who used to be her foe, and if we're lucky, this is gonna essentially lead to like some of the best Auroro storytelling. You know that this is some of the best era of Storm is when she is depowered and she can still whip Cyclops's ass.
Speaker 4: And I actually have to say, spoiler alert.
Speaker 5: We haven't type of thanks spoilerer, We haven't talked about this yet, but as a renowned, quite known Cyclops hater, I must say they actually they did such a huge job.
Speaker 1: He is so cool.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: This is absolutely along with astonishing X Men, this is absolutely one of the best depictions of Cyclops and why he is the right leader for the X Men and a strategic mastermind. They sell it really well. They in the in the to Me My x Men, there's a moment where you know, they get shot out of the sky by the Sentinel. See you on the ground, See you on the ground, and he uses his powers, his concussive blast eyeblasts in a way that was one very original and really cool and showed you like how powerful he was. He he blasts the ground, essentially slowing his rate of fall so that he could just like land on the ground and I was like, wow, I don't think I ever I know.
Speaker 3: An The bit that I really loved was when the Human extremists like take off his they take off his visa, and he's like no, no, please, and then once they take you off, he's like just kidding and then he shoot like explodes.
Speaker 4: The whole building. My favorite version of Psyclops is in New X Memoir.
Speaker 3: He's like a very conflicted kind of adult and he's a bit of a jerk, and I felt like that was the first time I'd really seen him the Psychic Affair with Emma Frost, that was kind of the first time I'd ever seen him become interesting to me. But this is actually the first time that I thought he was really cool.
Speaker 2: And then the latest episode which dropped us this week, Fire Made Flesh, continuing the X Men animated series incredible tradition of distilling very very complicated and at times long running storylines into episodes size plots. Folks, this is one of the greatest episodes of the X Men animated series in history.
Speaker 4: Activated show.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't and it does that They did it, and it does is titanic work in making what is a very very complicated and even to me right now, confusing, like I'm still confused by this storyline to a certain degree, and long running storyline and making it I think really crystal clear. Episode three, Fire Made Flesh. Another gene shows up at the X mansion. She knocks on the doors, like I need the X men. They were like, wait, wait, we have a gene. She's right here, she's holding a baby.
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: And they realize their gene with the baby reads the unconscious the new gene's mind and sees mister Sinister, Oh my god, what is this? This sees a jumble of fragmented memories. But the shocking news is, after Beast runs some tests, this new gene, the stranger who just showed up, is the real gene, and the gene that just gave birth to this kid is a clone and at some point in the past. No one knows when.
Speaker 4: It could have been a long ago.
Speaker 1: It could have been a lot of love.
Speaker 2: They could have been originally, it could have been after the Phoenix lie. No one knows. Mister Sinister, an evil geneticist who's been working on mutants since the nineteenth century, switched them. What now with the real gene back the fake Jane, who comics fans will know as Madeline Pryor and who will call herself Madeline Prior by the end of this episode, uses her psychic powers to turn the mansion into a house of horrors, and she takes on the role of the villainess known as.
Speaker 4: The Goblin Queen Dun dun du dun dun duh uh.
Speaker 2: And it's an absolutely trippy and crazy adventure that ends when the Goblin Queen kind of you know, realizes that wait a second, I actually do love these people. I can't do this and I don't want to do this whole thing, and she leaves, says call me Madeline Prior, and then Ed's exits, and then we see that the baby that Madeline Prior had given birth to is infected with a techno organic virus. There's no known cure to this strain of the virus. So Bishop, who comes from the year twenty fifty five in an alternate future, says, well, wa wait, and we might have we might have some medicine in twenty fifty five that can that can heal this. I'm going to take this baby into the future. And that is the end of the episode. Folks, dude, I holy.
Speaker 4: Cow, I knew so.
Speaker 3: I think we had an inkling that they once we saw that Gene Invited Comics was pregnant, we probably had an inkling that it was.
Speaker 2: Actually I think they'd do it this quickly.
Speaker 4: I didn't think they would do it this quickly.
Speaker 3: I didn't think they'd try and wrap it up in one episode. And I also love so they did it. There's a lot of changes.
Speaker 4: Here in the comics.
Speaker 3: Madeline first appears in Uncounty X Men one sixty eight, and she's like a pilot in a plane crash. You lost her memory, and her and Scott fall in love and he's left because she looks just like ge, like Jean, and he even.
Speaker 4: Says he's like, oh my god, he looks she looks just like her. It's like, okay, bro, I love that ner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's but the funny the interesting thing that I think, and this is actually where I wore my Fantastic four shirt. I do think I'm interested here because when Gin returns, that was actually in a JOm Burn issue of Fantastic Four, and it was super controversial because she was supposed to be dead and it was a big deal in the X office, but I feel like they're bringing in plotlines from other heroes. I would be interested to see if we see other heroes by the end, because, as we've said many times before, the animated series of X Men and Spider Man and Iron Man, even from that nineties era, they were essentially an original shared universe. You saw all different characters in each different animated series. So I'd be interested to see that. I just want to say, back on my Scott business for a moment, Scott sucks.
Speaker 4: I just need to say this.
Speaker 3: In this episode, as he is just a baby wit this woman, this woman he has had sex with, this woman, birth the child, and the moment, the moment real Gene shows up, he's like, peace out.
Speaker 2: I don't know, listen, here's the here's the problem. And I don't disagree that that is factually what happened. I think Scott, as he mentions in I think this episode of maybe the previous one, he is dealing with some very serious abandonment issues.
Speaker 4: That's his father left.
Speaker 2: I'd rather go party in space than raise my boys and goes. Currently, currently the leader of the Starjammer is one of the one of the most iconic deadbeat dads in comic history.
Speaker 4: Very likely we'll see some space.
Speaker 2: Actually, there's no question we're going to see him. Then. Of course, his his stand in father, Charles Xavier, also fled to space, and so he's he has these attachment issues. This is not to make excuses for him, but all of which is to say, I feel for the guy. Here's a question that I wanted to ask you because I was to your point. I was amazed at how quickly one they introduced this storyline, and how with such alacrity they wrapped it all up multiple not just the mattel In prior introduction, but then her morphing into the Goblin Queen, and then the wrapping up of that whole thing, and a reintroduction mister Sinister, the introduction of mister Sinister, and the reintroduction of the actual, the real Jean Gray, setting up potentially like an X Factor original X Factor team offshoot happening. Does the continuity in X may the animated series make more sense than in the comics. I kind of think, Listen, I like the comics more obviously as a comics centric reader, and I think the emotional impact is more intense and different. At the same time, if you want to just like understand what the broad outlines of the comics are, watch this show, because I was like, yeah, that's what happened. That's exactly what makes it's so much more simple in this version.
Speaker 3: This has always been my argument for them. For X Men ninety two and also the Spider Man animated series, I think.
Speaker 4: Does this well too. Before.
Speaker 3: You may not believe this if you're listening, but there was a time when people didn't really rate those shows very much because of the style of animation, like even though we always had that nostalgic feel for them.
Speaker 4: But my argument has always been, if you.
Speaker 3: Want to know the biggest and most important arcs in comics, watch those shows. In Spider Man, you can see the Symbia, you can see Eddie Brock, you can see how Carnage was created. You can learn all these really important things in a couple of episodes. X Men was great at that too, the Phoenix saga. You know, these are things that are so complex in the comics and can be incredibly overwhelming, especially like if you're trying to find the Goblin Queen arc.
Speaker 4: You're reading multiple different books multiplely, You're reading all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're reading the Inferno crossover series, you're all.
Speaker 3: Exactly and this is a this is a distilled down version. I think what's really cool about this that I love about the way they choose to do this stuff. I can imagine that somebody can watch this episode and go, oh my god, that blew my mind, Like, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: I want to read it. I want to know about Madeline Pryor, I want to know who she is. I think it's the.
Speaker 3: Ultimate accessibility point for people who want to read comics, and for people who want to read a different part of the comics but can't be bothered to.
Speaker 4: Read ten years, they could just watch the episode.
Speaker 3: I think they did it so well, and I love the way that they used it as a rug to pull out of the audience, like under the audience's feet.
Speaker 4: The reveal that the Gene we knew wasn't Jean, and that kind of shock of that baby not being Jeen's baby, even though Gene and Scott just basically like, that's my baby now. But yeah, I thought they rubbed that baby, but like I thought, I was so cool.
Speaker 3: And my favorite big change here is like I love the idea that Bishop is going to essentially raise Baby Nakes, who then becomes Cable.
Speaker 2: Okay, who has already been introduced in the final season of the original X Men animated series.
Speaker 3: So and I just think that is so cool. I thought they just smashed it. I thought the fast two episodes were really great, but after this one, I'm like, whatever they do.
Speaker 4: I'm all the way.
Speaker 2: Also, I was watching rewatching the final season of X Men animated series because I after watching X Men ninety seven, I'm like, man, the central the mutant metaphor for out groups, for for gay people, for the LGBTQ community, for minority, like that central metaphor is more powerful than ever. And it felt to me like, man, they're they're not running away, They're leaning into it just as hard as ever. So I went back and I watched X Men ninety two and I was like, actually, I think what's changed is the world because they were going just as hard in X Men the animated series. And what's what felt to me so powerful about X Men ninety seven and that and the way the central metaphor like hit me in my chest was that the world feels like it needs this story more, like this feels like a something that a trenchant critique of the world right now, like that's.
Speaker 3: It's really funny that, Like when I watched this, I was like, whoa, I'm shocked, Like Disney let it be this ratical.
Speaker 4: I loved how explicit they.
Speaker 3: Made it all and how it just was like, this is what the X Men's always been about, baby, And if you don't want to see like men in like tight spendex suits talking about how racism is bad, then watch another show.
Speaker 2: It also with you know, I remember being shocked by Magneto's turn to being a good guy in the Trial of Magneto and how skillfully Claremont executed that, And I just think that it was such a wonderful like recognition on Claremont's part that actually, wait a second, like Magneto the reasons he's doing this, he actually has a very accurate read on this situation. He does more accurate than Charles maybe in certain respects, and so to pivot to him, I think is amazing. And I love the way it was done in the show. I just I just think it's it makes so much sense.
Speaker 3: I also love how they made him seem they were just like Magnea was just a logical guy like that in itself is a great reason too, you.
Speaker 4: Don't even have to Yeah, he's too is he too? Is he too cool? We'll survive? Like it's so good.
Speaker 2: Onto episode four. It's Jubiley's eighteenth birthday, and you know what my girl wants to do. She wants to party. But yes, eighteen, it's a that is a landmark year. It's time to party. But guess what but the what are the boring ass adults at Xavier University want to do? Well? Magneto is like, we should be training. It's a week.
Speaker 4: He's like, He's like, good luck, Like no birthday for you.
Speaker 3: Wolverine on the other end, he's like, she should get a birthday because he's a great dad.
Speaker 4: He's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Wonderful thing about x Men ninety seven that I actually love is nobody listens to Wolverine.
Speaker 4: They know him.
Speaker 2: This is the cranky uncle who nobody listens to. Magneto's idea that hey, the enemies of Mutantom never sleep, so why should we doesn't carry the day. So Jubilee goes disappointed to a room she's hanging out with everybody's favorite Presilian rich kid, Robert Tacosta, and she finds a motendo console in her room, a video game console in a room, and she thinks, well, this must be my surprise gift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she thinks Jean set it up for a very NIGHI Jean's always so jealous.
Speaker 4: Were on the moment of Gene, Yeah, mention of Gene. We should mention that eagle eyed viewers including us.
Speaker 3: But but you know, this is now a conversation online and our wonderful producer even pointed out to us. As you will notice in the opening of this episode, we see Gene with a ponytail, meaning the real Gene in the credits.
Speaker 1: Was not real Gene.
Speaker 2: This is real Gene, real real Gene.
Speaker 4: In the credits. Even Maddie.
Speaker 3: Maddie was in the credits of the first three episodes, which is so good and if you like, if you like kind of digging into that stuff, each of the credits, the opening credits are different, and in this one we even get a tease of Mojo.
Speaker 4: We see a havoc with Polaris and Forge. There's all different kinds of cool teasers for I think will come talk about it. So yeah, very far.
Speaker 2: Okay, So she boots it up. She boots up the console, let's play some video games. But guess what, folks, it's a trap. It's a trap set by everybody's least favorite evil interdimensional media mogul Mojo, and Jubilee and Robert costafinding themselves transported to the Mojo Verse, where, of course, on brand they are put through various terrible ordeals, including going to Genosha where they see the past, some past visions of Jubilee's actual history where she sees mutants, enslaved by Ball of our Trask, having to build various things. They're put through all these kinds of ordeals for ratings, which, of course Mojo thrives on Jubes and Roberto with the help of a digital copy of Jubilee that was put into the game in order to beta test the video game and survived.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I just want to say, this is like so interesting because I love they're taking from some really weird dark stuff here.
Speaker 4: This the old version of Jubilee in the comics is called Absessa. Yeah, and it's like this very similar.
Speaker 3: Aesthetically, but in the comics version, Absissa basically is like a slave to Mojo, and it's this really depressing thing. And here she gets to be this heroin and help Jubilee, and it's just this really great, great moment and it works really well and it's really cool.
Speaker 2: I think it's wonderful, and it was actually to me one of the strongest emotional through lines of this story. In this episode, Absissa is older. As mentioned, she is wiser. She's survived inside of the game for all this time since it was in beta testing, so she has an advanced control over her powers, and she knows the game and she knows Mojo inside out. With Absiss's help, Mojo as the final loss, is defeated, which ironically for Mojo is huge ratings. The thing that he thrives out I know that.
Speaker 4: Nobody loves it.
Speaker 3: The funniest thing is, I'm like, bro, how about you just don't have loads of slaves and they wouldn't have to constantly make weird TV to entertain them.
Speaker 4: I feel like just not having slaves would be the answer. But you know what, do I know? I'm not Mojo. I don't know nothing.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Mojo should listen also to Spiral More who Spiral is at least like in touch with how the Mojo show gets produced and understands like you need more technicians. You need more people that are actually producing anyway, Jubillian Roberto go home and they immediately make out. This is great.
Speaker 4: Yes, love this for them, Love this for them.
Speaker 3: I love the scene where like all of Juwbes's powers are kind of like popping around, very beautiful. I also want to give a shout out to my good friend Stephanie Williams, who's a brilliant writer who's written Nubia for DC and Mongol Dinosaur Marvel. She began her comic book career by making a mashup of living single and superheroes called Living Heroes and there is and it was really pop and that's kind of what with O'Neill, who's an incredible artist, and that's what kind of popped her into the megaverse of making these Marvel comics. And I think there is a huge nod to that in this episode, because we get the different world with all the different Marvel superheros. So I just want to say there was Stephanie's idea and I'm proud of it. But yeah, I love them making out. I love the teens doing the good job. I'm interested to see. I feel like maybe season two will get more about like Bobby's powers and kind of but but him and Jubilee.
Speaker 4: I'm a fan of that pairing.
Speaker 2: I like the slow roll on his powers and another thing I like having I've been watching a bunch of stuff that I needed to catch up on for our show and because I want to. And one thing I will say that that comics stories, TV and movies need more of is love. Love story. Yes, I agree, they need romance and the X Men would not be the X Men without lots of romance and love triangles. And Joe and I love this great Yeah good h Life's Death Part one. Storm is living with Forge out at his cabin out in the wilderness. Forge is using his mutant powers, which is he can build and create incredible devices, and he's using them and I think you can imagine, Yeah, he's using that power to try and make a machine to undo the damage done to Storm by the Friends of the Human Friends of Humanity and their power stealing weapon in order to return Storm's powers to her. We see all throughout this story how heartbroken Storm is the loss of her connection to nature.
Speaker 3: It's devastating And speaking of romance, these two are obviously in a little situation Hello going on, so is cooking In the very famous first splash page of Life Death is that Barry wins the Smith and it's Storm in the sheet we do get a bit of that hare so her and Forge. It's this really romantic kind of connection between these two outsiders who aren't necessarily though we do see that at one point Forge was part of a X team.
Speaker 2: Let's mention that, so yes on the there's very tantalizing shots of the wall in Forge's workshop and he has a picture of him in uniform with a bunch of other Mutants with an X right on the breast, some kind of X related team. And the members of the team are strong guy who, for those of you who don't know, is exactly.
Speaker 3: What is.
Speaker 4: Guess what the name means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a very very strong guy. Havoc uh Scott's Scott's brother, Havoc's on again, off again, on again, off again, on again, off again girlfriend. Polaris, daughter of Magneto Wolf Spain, a notable member of the New Mutants and mad Rocks Jamie Maddrox, the multiple Man, one of my favorites of all time. So very interesting team.
Speaker 4: It seems like it's like an expector ex.
Speaker 3: Factor is yeah, expector ish maybe like yeah, depending on which way they go.
Speaker 4: But it's really cool and it kind of leans into what we saw in the mall in the beginning, which is.
Speaker 3: That opening credit scene where they kind of showed that team together with you know, Havocan Polaris having a little smooch or something. You know, lots of romance going on, and I think that's that's the correct way for this to go. But yeah, this is agree, this is adapt Look, I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to be real. I love this show.
Speaker 3: I think they do everything so perfectly. Life def is like one of my all time favorite X Men arts. Yes, I would have liked this to get his own I agree.
Speaker 2: I think it needs to strecht, but I think it will stretch out it will.
Speaker 4: I think it will too.
Speaker 3: I just want to also say in the comics, if you've never read this stuff, go and read it.
Speaker 4: It's great. But even if you don't want to do it, just seuch forges airy because they really did forge dirty. His house is so sick.
Speaker 3: I mean it's like, yeah, it's you can't like, it's just magical because he makes it with all of his power.
Speaker 4: So yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 2: It's a Willy Wonka ish type mutant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so cool, but I understand what they're doing here. It suits this kind of like Star.
Speaker 3: Cross lovers in this moment, and obviously, as we're about to find out, we don't necessarily know where that's going to go because there's a shocking reveal.
Speaker 2: That's right, okay, so Forge his machine. It feels promising, but it doesn't quite work, and Storm is devastated. Right So, after this, Storm learns, because Forge comes clean, that the weapon that stole her powers was created in part on his own designs that he did for the government after he got out of the military. It doesn't based on you know, Forge's comics biographies. He was in Vietnam and then actually knew some of the marauders and then ended up kind of being adrift for a while and then did this work for the military. Storm is obviously feels betrayed, feels disgusted to find out that Forge is not trying to help her out of this selflessness and willingness to help her and help mutant kind, but out of guilt because of what he's done. So she leaves. She rides off on her horse, but on the ride out, she encounters this magical al demon that returns her to Forge's house. And we discover this because this al tells us as it wraps her, and it's like gnarled talons that it feeds on misery. It feeds on depression and sadness and angst and Storm's heartbreak, the devastation that not having her powers and losing her friends or her family is just like candy to this demon, and it will not let her go.
Speaker 4: And the episode it's terrifying. I know it's a very demon bath. I know it's but it's very demon bad. This kind of feeds on your nightmas Like I'm really interested. At first, I'm like, is it demon bad?
Speaker 3: Like I'm thinking about the kind of crazy people that feed on nightmares and X Men shows.
Speaker 4: But the Owl, I have to say, I don't necessarily know where they're taking this from.
Speaker 3: I'm interested to see who is behind it and what it means, or if it's some new thing they're adding.
Speaker 4: To storms Cannon.
Speaker 3: But yeah, overall, again, I appreciate the ambition of the stories they're trying to tell here. I did see a really funny meme that also I think ended up in our discord that was like it's be standing in front of like a graph and it's like, at this rate, we're gonna get you know, Emma and Scott, and they are setting through these storylines like they are like we are getting everything we.
Speaker 4: Want to do in here.
Speaker 2: I will say that being said, you're exactly right, but they are still like at they're basically in the same era like oh you early nineties post post Fall of the Morlocks, ish like anywhere from X Men two hundred Trial of Magneto to like X Men two thirteen or something there.
Speaker 3: Some of it's even going in like opposite directions like this. Yeah, with the storm depowering which happens before, it's very much still in that Clamont space. It will be interesting to see if so say this is like finishing the Clamont era right, and then if season two is the nineties like Jim Lee era, and then if season three is like the two thousands Grant Morrison New X Men era, I would love to see if that's that's my prediction for the for the eras they're going to come.
Speaker 4: But yeah, another great episode. Ten out of ten. I wish Life Death was longer, but like I'm very proud of the ambition.
Speaker 2: So we understand that, like I'm positive that there's gonna be members of our audience who are just jumping on X Men ninety seven, maybe haven't caught all the way up with X Men the animated series or don't plan to, so we wanted to loop them in on some important questions just to kind of close the gaps so you understand where the story's picking up for X Men ninety seven. I'm gonna pose you some questions, Rosie, and you can answer them. So Charles, he's dead, what happened?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: To really answer this question in the nerdy way that I want to answer it, we're gonna have to get into full spoilers, so put your ear muffs on or just skip until we're over probably a couple of minutes. Charles may or may not be alive and in space, and that will probably be coming very soon. He is chilling with the Shea once again, gonna trigger Scott's horrible abandonment issues because just like Scott's real dad, his dad went up into space, and that is gonna become likely a major part of what we see going forward. And I think that the MCU version is going to follow that space Shea Star Jammers and explore it because the truth is we that's something we haven't seen with the X Men properly. So I think the fact it's going to come into play here and will likely come in to play with MCU is interesting.
Speaker 4: So yes, if you're a big Charles Exavier Stan, don't worry. He's not really dead. He's coming back.
Speaker 2: Okay, Scott's dead abandoning him? How did that happen?
Speaker 3: So Scott's dad, he made the Star Jammas. They'd been imprisoned again, like by people who were in Cootes with the Shi'a Empire, and they kind of like went around doing cool stuff and he just had more important.
Speaker 4: Things to do then raise a kid.
Speaker 3: The best part is they only reconciled after Scott was killed by Apocalypse, So Scott's really going through it and he has like some severe, severe, severe daddy issues.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Bishop is we fun? Bishop is from another timeline tell us about Bishop from the Future.
Speaker 4: Bishop. I love Bishop so much, so incredibly.
Speaker 3: Bishop's like actually like a you know, he's like a nineties character, which feels crazy because I feel like he's.
Speaker 2: Guns were big for nineties. Big character was created in the nineties. If they have if they have a big guns, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And as they showcased really well here, which I loved, they showcased Bishop's really cool powers, which are he can like take in other people's power and then force it out right, So if you shoot at him, if you fight him, He's going to take it in and blow it up. Now, this is very interesting stuff here, and you're going to get a lot of X Men law, which is he was actually.
Speaker 4: Born eighty years into the.
Speaker 3: Future and raised in a mutant concentration camp, I think is the best way to put it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, after the Dun Dun Dun Summer's Rebellion, not.
Speaker 2: Scott but another one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Bishop's.
Speaker 3: Grandmother told him about oh the X Men, my old, my old allies. Now cininically you may be surprised to find out who that grandmother may be in the future.
Speaker 4: But basically, Bishop's.
Speaker 3: Uh, really cool future freedom fighter in an era where the X Men don't exist. But as we've seen he is he can travel kind of through dimensions, through Pauls and through time and has become an allies with the X Men of the past that he was once told about.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, guys. I can I wake up every Wednesday just excited that we're getting a new episode of this show.
Speaker 4: I'm it's truly a joy.
Speaker 2: We're very lucky the best. Let's do Uh, Let's do Who's Who? Every show Uh, we close the show with a variety of fast moving segments. Today we're gonna do Who's Who, and which we talk about some of our favorite weird characters from given universe. This episode we're doing our favorite mutant weirdos. Rosie, give us a mutant weirdo that you love.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've got like three, so I'm going to it really quickly. Skin he's just got like a lot of extra skin. He can stretch, he can do weird things. He's got like feet and feet of extra skin.
Speaker 4: Very weird.
Speaker 3: Loved that character. Was big fan of that whole team of kids who got abducted by the Falance.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Joseph, He's just a magnet Oa clone. Yes, that's it. He's just like a weird magnet Oa clone.
Speaker 3: And it seemed like it was gonna be a really big story, but it ended up just like going Nowhere, which I love because he's kind of like a whatever character now the best mutant who is still my favorite mutant who I'd love to see more. There was a mini series called Worst Mutine Ever about a kid called Bailey Hoskins, and he is the Worst Mutine Ever, but he's not my favorite character. In that book, they introduce a character who is a black teenage girl called Miranda who can change time. And in the final issue of Worst Mutant Ever by Michael Walsh and Max Bemis of Emo Music Fame, I feel that Miranda is basically behind every single retcon that's ever happened.
Speaker 4: It's just her going through to save the world.
Speaker 3: So anytime a team has been retcond or something's changed, it's Miranda basically going back in time and having to fix something so that the world and the Marvel Universe can continue on as it goes. And I think that's like the coolest character and I would love to see her come back and have a book to herself.
Speaker 4: Who's your favorite wido?
Speaker 2: Here's my favorite weirdos spiral a real name Rita Ricochet. Rita was a stunt woman in the Mojo Verse working for the media Titan Mojo who love to torture the X men and turn them into babies and do all sorts of a wind stuff, and Spiral was kind of worked for her for him, but also didn't like him that much and was the kind of like arch nemesis of another mojo creation, long Shot Love Spiral. And then you know, we haven't seen him, but I wonder if we will see him. Fabio Medina aka gold Balls gold Balls his original It originally seemed like his power was just to kind of like create these golden balls out of his body, but later we discovered that the balls were the balls were actually eggs. This became the basically the crux of mutant immortality, which we saw during the Krakoa era. And then finally glob Herman. He's just made of wax. This is it the legend glob Herman. He's basically got a wax body and you can see through the wax into his like internal organs and skeleton.
Speaker 3: Love that one of the legendary characters of all X Men times, glob Herman. Love that guy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it for our show, Rosie. Anything you're looking forward.
Speaker 3: To, Yes, there is a really fantastic book called Gleam that was created by cartoonists called Freddy Carrasco. It was originally pub who's a really small publisher, and Jorn and Quarterly is doing a big publication of it. It's like this anime inspired Space and Time comic.
Speaker 4: It's just so cool.
Speaker 3: It looks beautiful. I got an early edition of it. I'm really I've read it already, the original, but I'm really excited to re explore that. And i would just recommend it for anyone who likes a strange array of short stories that just showcase the comic form.
Speaker 4: I'm really excited about how for you.
Speaker 2: I'm currently reading Catherine Lacy's Biography of X, which is this wild story about a artist who rose to prominence and then did not want her biography written, but then an unauthorized biography comes out, so her former partner, Ex's former partner is like, well, I'm going to write the real biography, and she discovers incredible secrets from X's life, including that she was born in and lived for a lot of her early life in what's called the Southern Territory, the southern part of the United States that seceded in nineteen forty five and remained an independent, authoritarian nation for the following several decades. It's a crazy book and I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 4: That sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: That's it for our show. See you next time, see you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye,