Speaker 1: Welcome in Tough Bears Weekly powered by IGS Energy, a Chicago Bears Network production. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletic Go Physical apparently, CD Jullick, Connie's Pizza, IGS Energy, and men are liked. Here are your hosts, Jeff Chilliac aka the Mayor of Bearsville and his sidekicked, Tom the Surfmaster Thayer look everybody.
Speaker 2: Riding a three game winning streak, the Bears getting ready to head to Washington, d C. Actually landover Maryland for the matchup against the Washington Commanders. It feels big, Tom Bayir, it feels big here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. This is Bears Weekly after a bye and a big win in London. This just feels big now four and two and things headed in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Four and two, and we've had two weeks to talk about it. You know, you always have that feeling when you're on a roll. You'd like to stay on a roll. But fortunately after the Bears came back from London, they had a little bit of time to readjust and get ready for this eleven game push. Because I think the fun of the season hasn't really started yet. It's just kind of pushing that boulder over the hill in waiting for this thing to start gaining some momentum steam and there would be nothing better than a victory in landover Maryland.
Speaker 2: Coming up tonight, We've got a full show, lots to cover, including Jack Samborne I sit down with us. We'll hear from the coordinators as per usual, also one on one with Travis Smith, the Bears defensive line coach on a fastly improved defensive line getting contributions from many and some other surprises along the way as well. Thanks to Justin Pottinger and Matt McMaster in the studios tonight, as well as Dan Brillly, Jordan Treadup, and the executive producer of The Bear's Ready to Network, Eric Ostrowski. Let's dig into the injury report, Tom Bear's perspective. Still know Jakwan Brisko or Tyder Gordon did not practice the last two days concussion and hamstring respectively. Tyreek Stevenson though on the field limit with a caff he missed the London game.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts on the secondary.
Speaker 3: You know, calf in a hamstring. I kind of understand those injuries. Because of the severity of the pull, it usually takes a little bit of time to recover to get back up to realistic playing strength. My concern is with Jakwan Brisker if in fact he is still in concussion protocol after a two week period. I'm concerned about that because usually these guys are able to bounce back after a two week concussion protocol. And you know, maybe Jikwan will surprise us all and practice tomorrow, get the okay to play on Sunday afternoon and come back. But the other guys, they're great athletes, and sometimes when you're a great athlete, you have those types of tweaks that take a little while to heal.
Speaker 2: All right, there's a full compliment of players that practice full today that we have not seen for a while. Cornerback Terrell Smith, defensive lineman Zach Pickens, defensive end Jacob Martin. Since the first padded practice of training camp, Travis Homer has been on ir with a finger injury, and Scott Dally, the long snapper, missed the most of that game in London after covering a kick. He had a knee injury, but looks like he's full go and what are your thoughts on You know, there's a lot to choose from here. If you want to strengthen the depth of the roster with these guys possibly returning.
Speaker 5: Well, it makes practice more competitive.
Speaker 3: If you really want to earn a game day Jersey, you can't just go through practices with a lackluster attitude. Jacob Martin has to show some burst off the edge. Travis Homer has to show a little bit of burst from the running back position. Terrelle Smith has to show that he's healed up from that hip issue that he can go out there and play cornerback at an NFL level. So every one of these guys, including Zach Pickens, that are getting back in the mix, they got to prove to their specific position coaches that hey, coach, I'm ready to go and I want to be in consideration for that game day avation.
Speaker 2: So for Washington, Jade and Daniel still no practice, but the word is Tom from multiple reports that they're going to see how he looks on Friday.
Speaker 4: Where are you sitting on that.
Speaker 2: You're a veteran looking at these injury reports when you don't practice all week and then you try to go on Friday at the quarterback position.
Speaker 4: You're a rookie. You got a rib injury. We don't know the severity of it, but or what exactly it is. But what do you think.
Speaker 3: So when you go back and you watch the tape of the game, he hurt his rib on the very first play of the game and then suffered through about another ten plays before he came out of the game. In every single play after that, he kind of touched or grabbed the area that was bothering him. How what is his pain tolerance? Is he willing to take one of the most painful shot in the numbing business in the NFL in order to get on the field and get some relief over the period of time, or is it going to be such a painful situation for him that it's gonna effect infect his affect, his accuracy, his willingness to run. There was even a couple of runs after he injured it that he kind of laid down at the defender's feet. Listen, all due respect in the world to Jane Daniels. He has got a bright future ahead of him. He's got to do what is the safest for his future. And if he can take that pain numbing shot and he's willing to you might consider that.
Speaker 5: But if he doesn't, let Marcus Marrio to play.
Speaker 2: So you say pain numbing? Is the shot itself painful?
Speaker 3: The shot itself is one of the most painful shots that you could possibly take in order to try to get.
Speaker 5: Relief in the area.
Speaker 3: And the thing about shots in the NFL, you have to tell them specifically where you need that shot to go in, because if they're a little bit off, it cannot work as effectively as if it's exactly on the spot. And having had that shot before, it's not pretty. It keeps you up at night, and it's not fun going into that locker room before kickoff and say, okay, Doc, I'm ready, let's get this done.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing and talking to Travis Smith, the Bear's defensive line coach, what he tells his players in terms of the whoever plays it.
Speaker 4: It's mindless and faceless. You just play who plays in front of you.
Speaker 2: There's no name attached, So get ready for Marcus Mariota, get ready for Jade and Daniel, doesn't matter who plays.
Speaker 3: I think Eric Washington said that kind of the same thing at the podium. They're not going to change their offense specifics in the style and what they want to do. Because one quarterback is playing and the other ones not. It's about playing. The Washington Commanders they only install one offense. They don't install an offense for Jade Daniels and then one for Marcus Mariota. It's about one offense that the Commanders are all taught well.
Speaker 2: Jaydon Daniels off to a great start, and Marcus Mariota had a great game against Carolina and his performance completing better than seventy percent of his passes, a couple of touchdown throws, no interceptions. When we come back, we'll hear from Jack Sanborne and I met with him earlier today here at hallisaw. This is Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand, had the Bears Radio Networks. Welcome back to Bears Weekly on a ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network with Tom Thayer.
Speaker 4: I'm Jeff Jioniak.
Speaker 2: Joined our special guests as were brought to you by Igs Energy Bears linebacker Jack Sanbourne. He's been with us before. I know he'll be doing it again. Good to see you, Jack, Always a big smile on your face. How you feeling good?
Speaker 5: Great to be here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what'd you do in the bye week?
Speaker 6: I was here for the most part, and then actually over the weekend went to Austin, Texas.
Speaker 4: Okay, just had a little fun.
Speaker 2: What's that main street in Austin, the big one, sixth Street. Yeah, I've never been there, but I heard about six Streets A good time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a solid time. I mean we went primarily for one of my buddies, a big ut fans. So we're playing Georgia and I thought it was a good opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us about the game. What's your scouting report on that? If you had to wrap that up in a scouting report, what would you say?
Speaker 6: There were a lot of turnovers in the games. I wouldn't say great offensive play, but I mean both teams are pretty solid, but Georgia definitely got the Georgia definitely got the huh upper hand.
Speaker 3: Heyjack, you and I both be in local guys, and I always had to designate my mom as my ticket manager once we started having some success. Have you designated anybody in your family as your home game ticket manager? Oh?
Speaker 6: My mom's been at for the most part, and especially with London. I mean I think London was the big one where she had to kind of coordinate everything with the amount of people that wanted to go to London to support the team and support myself and everybody else.
Speaker 3: You know, that was my seventh international trip as a player and a broadcaster, and it's the first time that we've ever stayed out in the country where it was more of a training cab atmosphere than it was staying at a hotel in a city, and everybody taken off in different directions after practice. How did you like that for your first trip being kind of out in the country.
Speaker 6: You were right, it kind of felt like when we went to Indianapolis last year for joint practices and kind of just being with the guys in the hotel for an extended period of time, because then we got there, arrived Tuesday morning, and we still had some time to get out, like guys on Tuesday and then a little bit on Friday, we're able to get out and go down to London. But you're right, we were far away from London, about an hour and a half out, so a lot of times you did have to stay at the hotel, and I thought that was a good time to hang out with guys you know, play cards, do whatever. And yeah, I thought it was a good trip, and I think overall it was definitely better to go early. Just yeah, I can imagine kind of getting there later because I think even during the week, I mean, getting adjusted to the sleep, getting adjusted to everything like that. It definitely is a different environment out there.
Speaker 2: You know, when we came home, I don't know how you felt, tom because we had home right around, you know, twelve thirty and get home, and we drive a lot longer than Jack and the guys do out here in the northern suburbs.
Speaker 4: But I had no problem. I got up at normal time and back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean it awesomely easier coming back.
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 4: Do you feel that way too, Tommy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt a lot easier coming back than going there.
Speaker 4: Did you hit the golf simulator in there?
Speaker 5: They had a simulator? We hit the golf course?
Speaker 4: Actually, oh okay, who was in your group?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 4: TJ and Chris Glazer? Okay, okay, yeah, but you hit him straight.
Speaker 6: It was good rain, I mean, and in typical London fashion is pouring rain and so that wasn't great, but it was.
Speaker 5: Actually a good little time.
Speaker 7: It made it.
Speaker 6: It made it enjoyable and made us have a lot of exp.
Speaker 4: One thing I noted it was peaceful out there.
Speaker 6: I know it was why the birds in the morning, but you know the front nine was absolutely brutal.
Speaker 3: And then did you talk did you talk in an English accent a bunch when you were out there on the course?
Speaker 6: No, strictly American?
Speaker 3: Hey, Jack, So a quick question about the Washington commanders. So they Jane Daniels, you don't know what his UH situation is leading up to the game, but then they have Marcus Mariota and he's an RPO quarterback. So Jack Sandborn the linebacker, are you involved in the game planning a little bit more when you face a running quarterback as opposed to UH facing a passing quarterback.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think a lot of it comes down to exactly what type of personnel they're really really utilizing. Okay, but I mean, and a lot we do have game plan from me in the game especially and certain personnel groupings. But like you were saying about Mariota, I mean I remember playing him two years ago when he was in Atlanta, and very similar stuff they were doing in Atlanta with him at quarterback to what Kingsbury and is doing right now with Daniels. So overall, I mean, I don't think the offense is going to change whether who's in there. But at the end of the day, it's about us and you know, playing to our rules and playing to our ability and you know, being on the same page and making sure whoever's out there and whatever they're trying to do that we're ready to stop it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, with Marcus Mariota in the lineup, for me, it would have my radar up a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Because he's got nothing to lose.
Speaker 3: He's not auditioning for seventeen games or to become the starter there.
Speaker 5: He's there to hold down the ford.
Speaker 3: For a game or two. And when you have a quarterback that still has his skill level and probably likes to run it more than throw it, you know, he would you know, increase my awareness of him at the quarterback position for sure.
Speaker 6: I mean he's a guy that's been in the league and been in big games and been in the league and has won games. And I mean he can force sure go out there and throw the ball, run the ball, but at the.
Speaker 7: End of the day, win games.
Speaker 6: And I mean that's what he's He's done that many a time, so it's definitely it's not like, oh, there's a big drop off or a big you know, game plan changes whether whoever, whichever quarterback is in the game, there's definitely some continuity.
Speaker 2: Jack sandbarn Our guest here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. You know, you've been in the league a while now, so you know when you see young quarterbacks, sometimes they look young. Sometimes they play through it as the season goes on. Sometimes they don't. And I was looking at some statistical work by this Twitter handle. NFL notifications want to give them their props. They did an analysis of how many quarterbacks throw on a percentage basis on their first read, and Caleb Williams is in the top five of those not throwing on their first read, which means they're reading field. Jayden Daniels doing it's seventy something percent of the time going to the first read. I'm sure in your analysis and your tape study you see these things as well.
Speaker 4: Is that help you decipher a.
Speaker 2: Young quarterback who actually is young NFL wise, but he played so many college games nearing sixty times. I mean, he's he's got some games under his belt, but does that help you prepare?
Speaker 6: I mean, like that, just going off for him, I remember him in college. I mean, we actually played against him when he was at Okay, when he was at Arizona State, I mean, and going off of kind of oh the first read. I mean, one thing that's so dynamic about him is his ability to then take off. And you see that a lot of times if maybe the first read isn't open, maybe he's not looking for the second rate, but with his legs he's able to expand get out of the pocket. And I mean he's done a really good job of once he gets out of the pocket, not necessarily running right away, but also looking down feel and able to hit guys. And that's why it's gonna be so big just staying in coverage, staying on guys, because he does have that ability to expand the expand the play and then in return get guys open that way. But like I said, I mean, he's very dynamic and what he does and how he does it. And you know, to see the steps that he's kind of taken in the passing game from where he was when I played him in college has really been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you got to stop the run. I mean, they get explosives.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of every back, including Jayden when he runs twenty plus yard runs each each of them have at least two this season. And I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but explosives of are hard to get against good defenses. So how do you feel about the way the run defense? You know, maybe you get a gash here and there, but you guys have really, you know, hunkered down over the course of a game, if it happens early or if it happened late.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean cliff Is Kingsbury over there is doing a really good job of kind of changing his run game from where they were when he was in Arizona. And just the amount of the variety that they have in the run game, incorporating the college run game with all the countertea poll ots reads off of it, and you know, a lot of different stuff. So it really tests the rules kind of of a defense. So that's kind of what we're going to have to be big on, is just understanding each each person's job and understand your role and also also being aggressive against it and attacking jack.
Speaker 3: If I was an offensive lineman, I would look towards the sideline with you and Kyler Gordon standing there. If you come into the game, I know you're part of my blocking responsibility. If Kyler Gordon comes in the game, sometimes he's the responsibility of a running back or whomever has his has him. Are you guys interchangeable? Can you run the same can can they call the same defense whether Jack's in the game or Kyler's in the game.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think there are some things that are different as to who's in the game, But for the most part, a lot of times, a lot of calls can be interchangeable. And I mean, Kyler does this, does a really good job at getting in the box too and playing little dirty football in there. And at the same time, and I'll be out in the in the split and I'll be out outside. So I think we're very interchangeable on how we do it. It's not like if one person's in it's drastically different. Obviously, you know, I'm not going to be manning up guys in the slot as often as Kyler is and stuff like that. But for the most part, I think it's a good good little continuity and good a little changeup.
Speaker 3: Becoming more familiar with this defense at home or on the road. Do you like being on the road where you can hear the quarterback cadence and seeing if he becomes consistent with it, or do you like being at home where you can hear anything and you're just kind of reacting to the movement of the football.
Speaker 6: I mean a little bit of both. I think I think everyone loves that kind of feeling of going on the road in another place, person's environment, and you know, taking care of business and kind of shutting the crowd down and doing all those kind of things. But at the same time, and there's nothing like Soldier Field, especially the past, especially the past what year and a half, I mean, especially starting off this year, the place has been absolutely rock And I mean when when it's towards the end of the game there and the crowds getting as loud as they can while we're on defense, I think I think we're much more comfortable in that spot than the offenses.
Speaker 2: Jack Sanborn, our guests are remaining moments with the Bears linebacker here ANYPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network, You're a guy that just has to be I'm full alert at any moment. As tom always says, there's never a notification it's time to go. You're getting a handful of snaps a game defensively, but you're playing as a core special teams player mentally. Is that the biggest part of your game right now is staying aware at every possible moment when the base defense is going to be called out there?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, But I think I'm much better at it than I was last year. And I think, like you said, I mean, the biggest thing is kind of just mentally because but you're not in there on every single snap, you don't really have the exact the flow of the game. The understanding of the flow of the game is kind of tough to read. But I think this year it's a lot I'm a lot more prepared for it than I was really last year. Not saying I wasn't prepared for it last year at all, but it's just the second year like used to it. Yeah, yeah, And I mean I have a very good idea of when, when, when what Flus is gonna call, when he's gonna call certain personnel groupings.
Speaker 7: So it's definitely been.
Speaker 4: What I respect about.
Speaker 2: But Jack here, Tommy and I think you'll agree because we love the way you play. We absolutely do. We call it out on the broadcast all the time. It's it's it's all gas, no breaks, one hundred percent of the time, and you make plays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gotta live, right, you gotta. I mean, if you.
Speaker 2: Could describe what what that has been like over the last several years for you and knowing that you know, when you get an opportunity, you gotta make it just to just to hey, listen, man, I I can do this too, like I'm good at this.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean I think that's been how my career kind of has unfolded. It's just taken advantage of opportunities, especially I mean you see it across the league everywhere though, guys coming in whether they're undrafted or they've been cut from teams, and it's no matter who you are, you know, you got to make the most of the opportunities that you're given and while you're out there on the field. So I think that's kind of what this game is about, and you know, taking advantage of that.
Speaker 3: All right, hold half a second, I gotta grab a prop for you.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, he's only got a couple of minutes. Well he I don't know what he's doing. I don't know what he's doing. It must be his jersey's got to be the fifty. So we're on zoom, folks, what do you got?
Speaker 3: But you know, so Jack, this this is the jersey I wore in the Super Bowl. Okay, wow, so you see this right here? Wow, there used to be a onesie. It used to be a onesie.
Speaker 7: Jack.
Speaker 2: That's on purpose right there, Yes, it is on purpose and everybody and you can't watch, but Jack's jaw just.
Speaker 3: Dropped right, And so modern day football and you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: To tuck that under the elastic huh?
Speaker 7: Used to tuck that under, tuck.
Speaker 3: It under and button it and and button it right there. And then so as as anybody ever trying to tug your jersey or get a hold of you, they couldn't.
Speaker 4: And so now now we just got it all elcrod on right.
Speaker 5: But so do you tuck your jersey in?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: I actually do not.
Speaker 6: So you know it's nowadays it's tight enough where really you don't have It's like almost on tug jerseys in a way.
Speaker 3: These ones are super tightoo. But it's kind of that like that extra level.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, you got assurance that coming up.
Speaker 2: Hey, my question the time before we let this man go is why is that not encased in hanging out a wall at your Super Bowl jersey? Listen, I'll buy it off you and present it to Jack as a gift.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, I listen.
Speaker 5: I love the fact that Olin Kreutz wore fifty seven. I love the fact that Jack Sandborg. Like we were walking in Kansas.
Speaker 3: City, right we saw the guy with the fifty seven jersey on chase him down, turned him around, and it said Samborg no way. Yeah, And hey, listen, Jack, I appreciate you, you know, wearing fifty seven and playing the way you do.
Speaker 5: I don't care what number you were.
Speaker 3: However, I like to show the new generation the old style jerseys because if you ever went and Tony Medlin had that hanging in your locker, you might think twice but.
Speaker 4: Think it was a joke for the day. That's hilarious. Well, it's been on for Tom and I the last twenty four hours. We went local.
Speaker 2: Well, I had did something with Cole Comet for our Bears Game Day Live show coming up next week. We got Jack Sanborn and I don't know, I'm sure you are, But Tom and I did our Bears et cetera podcast number one oh five.
Speaker 4: Check it wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Sebastian Maniscalco from Rolling Meadows, the comedian and entertainer and movie star kind enough to join us, so check it out. We went local. It was all local, so we love the local guys. Oh yeah, go Bears.
Speaker 4: Have a great game night Sunday. Thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Jack Sandbar Beck back with more on Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Ready network.
Speaker 4: Called Doll Bears.
Speaker 2: Fans want unforgettable access to see the Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field this season well VIP official ticket packages are now available for every home game. Unlocked access to exclusive ticket packages that may include entry to win stadium, hospitality lounges, pregame, sideline credentials, and the Chicago City Pass. Visit Chicago Bears VIP dot COMIC call eight six six fifty seven to fifty five for more information Again Chicago BEARSVP dot com. I call eight six six two oh two five seven five five. Don't miss this exclusive opportunity with Chicago Bears VIP. Jeff in Time with You on Bears Weekly and an ESPN one thousand of the Bears Ready a network. You got a thought on the onesie real quick, as that was some funny stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I so to let every all of our listeners see what we are talking about, I suggest that I'm going to send you a pitcher and you can put it on your X package and then people can go there and see it.
Speaker 5: Because when back in the day, in.
Speaker 3: The eighties, when we used to wear these onesies, they are our jerseys that they would kind of tuck underneath our butt and then we had button them, just like a little bit a toddler's onesie. And so I think everybody would get an appreciation of when I show it.
Speaker 5: To the modern day player.
Speaker 3: And they couldn't even consider wearing something like that.
Speaker 5: It seems so archaic.
Speaker 3: But as an offensive lineman to keep from getting grabbed in your jersey tug you went to uncomfortable lengths during the game to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well so it was uncomfortable suit, Yeah, very uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: I mean you think when it got tugged a couple times, how much more uncomfortable we got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to imagine that, all right, So I mentioned Travis Smith, Bear's defensive line coach. The defensive assistants were available today here at Hallishall got into talking about the defensive line and a lot of the minutia that goes into making a good rush for as one and he did a great job explaining where this pass rush is going right now.
Speaker 7: I think it's doing really good.
Speaker 8: I think I think it's carried over from last year how we finished those last ten weeks of the season, even within new editions that we have with our rookies with DT, with Chris, with BC, they fit right in really well. So they are really close knit group off the field, which helps. I think with the production and the chemistry on the field.
Speaker 2: Do you feel you have a good variety of traits and skill sets with this I'll do something a little different that keeps an offensive lineman a little jumping. Maybe because you're not sending out the same four they get used to seeing what they're going to do.
Speaker 4: Now they really don't know, no question.
Speaker 8: It's if you look at a group back in the day when you had four main rushers and that's so you played ninety percent of the time, they had to prepare for four players. When you have eight, Well, now we have eight or nine. Now they got to prepare for a nine different team linemen. So when you ask about yes, they are, they're all individually. They all do have a different strength and skill set. But as when they're out there at four, they do work well as one together. But I do think that does present a not so much a problem, but it does present an element for the offense that they have to prepare for.
Speaker 2: We were getting to know Chris Williams a little bit. What have you learned about his past rush ability.
Speaker 7: From the defensive technic, He does have a.
Speaker 8: Great flexibility to rush both inside which you've seen more, but also outside. If you watch Cleveland, he was a little bit more on the perimeter, but he's fit right in where he's bumped inside and helped us and gave us some productive snaps where he's been inside as a nose as a three.
Speaker 7: But also he's played a little bit where at.
Speaker 8: The end and for that's another guy that's similar to d Walk that gives us that flexibility where no matter whether it's just hey or subbing the guys with our rotations, or if someone gets nicked up or he got he can jump in there and rushbolt outside and inside day.
Speaker 7: You guys traded for montees what like anything?
Speaker 8: I mean, I leave those decisions up to holes and flues, But we're always the more rushers we bring in there, the more excited we're going to integrate into the group, as long as they buy into the way we play. But as you see, he's done a phenomenal job. It's from that week six, seven, whatever it was, last ten weeks of the season to where we are now.
Speaker 7: It's obviously made.
Speaker 8: A big impact on the disposition, mentality, the demeanor that.
Speaker 7: Our guys played with. Were you excited, yes, yes, How would you describe.
Speaker 6: Kind of that that overall you're talking about not just the sack totals, but everything he brings for this defense as a whole.
Speaker 7: I think it's back.
Speaker 8: It kind of pairs back with my answer a couple of minutes a second ago was about how he factors he has two and a half sacks I think right now. But what I look at too, if you look at our group as a whole, almost every single D line that's playing the game beside Hardy has has a sack right now, Bill, all of them. Part of that is is it just him no, But is he commanding slides? Is he commanding double teams? Is he opening up other one on ones for other guys? Yes, he is not just him dex is d walk the always got a good amount of pressure in there.
Speaker 7: He's winning one on ones too. Where's it works together?
Speaker 8: Where Hey, yeah, we all want to get double digits right now, but two we're trying to win games and winning games. Is everyone doing their job handling their one on one matchups and he's commanding some more less one on ones. But also too, that's allowing other guys where other guys gotta step up. If you do get the one on one, you got to come alive and be productive. So it is helping in that sense.
Speaker 7: Yes, Billy's really different this year versus when you had him last year.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't say his roles different. I would say some of the alignments might have be He's played a little bit more on the guard as opposed to the center. From that sense, it is, but his role is still very similar. He's just been aligned a little bit differently. If you look how we've played our front.
Speaker 6: Sure do those alignments, I mean it sounds like does that lead to the quarterback heads the sacks like.
Speaker 9: Where he specifically is like making that I guess an easier path for him.
Speaker 8: Some have shown up where he's been on the edge of a guard, and it's shown up too. But if we've talked to like look last year, early on in a week it was we played Tampa Bay, he had like a forty percent quarterback pressure rate.
Speaker 7: Some of that it wasn't so much in the alignment.
Speaker 8: It was the disposition and like the technique he was rushing with, gaining ground, crossing line of scrimmage penetrated and once you get him moved, it's hard to stop him. So early on the season two Tennessee. This year, there was a couple other games he had the same thing. He had a high quarterback pressure rate. It was more of the technique he was playing with rather than the alignment. But to your answer question, there are situations in this sea and where he's been aligned on the edge of a guard where it has benefited him when he's played the right way.
Speaker 2: Relatively last year, is Jervine getting an increased number of snaps facing doubles.
Speaker 8: I don't know if he is getting I couldn't from not what he's getting. He's he's playing a higher percentage of snaps. Number one, especially early in the season. But two, there's a good rotation there where he's not in on every first second down snap too, where when he does get in there third down, it's not first second, first second, third where it's fifth play in the series. But also too, it's it's we've talked about up plenty and here's he's in different shape, he's different flexibility, he's a he's a he's a different person than he was last year, just like he's different right now than he was last week.
Speaker 7: He takes a personal to constantly.
Speaker 4: Improve and stunts and twists and things like that.
Speaker 2: It's probably simple for us just to say, oh, you know what, you just do this and you go.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of technique to it.
Speaker 2: Has there been an increased excellence in terms of those guys mastering that particular.
Speaker 8: I think it's time on TASCO. Last year it was there was a lot of new guys in their rookies, Dee Walker was new.
Speaker 7: Now they have a lot of work together.
Speaker 8: So part of that stuff is, yes, we call a gamer stunder twist, it's called it's executed. But then two, there's things where protections might change, they slide to him where they got to have a feel where they can cover natural even in a four man rush there might not be a game called, but a lot of times in a green rush they just cover each other. Where on the offense it's gonna look like it's a game, it's not. It's really just them working together and playing off of each other as they overlap and cover, or they have to levels in front the quarterback.
Speaker 2: All right, Tom, a lot of football lingo there for a defensive lineman, offensive lineman.
Speaker 4: Listening to it? What are you dissecting there?
Speaker 2: He talked a lot about how he grades the factor grade is what you do command in doubles and penetration and disruption, and how you turn the ball back with the back running the ball or get the back office track and the quarterback office spot.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, he talked about how many guys he has at his disposal. When you think of the New York Sack exchange, you think of the Purple People leaders in Minnesota, or the Steele Curtain in Pittsburgh, they primarily had all of their success with four guys. Now you have a team that has eleven guys and they could possibly have thirteen. So that makes it really difficult for the offensive linemen to get the tendencies of the defensive linemen they're playing against.
Speaker 5: Because they're so interchangeable.
Speaker 3: But when they're interchangeable, they can do all these things like you talked about them running stunts, and when you can run stunts with multiple guys in multiple different directions and multiple balances, it's really hard to designate your protection according to the position where say Montes or Darryl or Javon is.
Speaker 5: It's really makes it.
Speaker 3: Difficult when you have that many defensive linemen that play such good football because it's hard for the offensive lineman the offensive line as a whole to get any rhythm against who they're playing against according to how they're lined up.
Speaker 2: So what happens on the field with the skill position, it still comes down to that and the development of that front. We talked about it significantly in the preseason off season. It had to develop, and I think it is and the same could be said for the offensive line. We'll get into the offensive side of the ball with Shane Waldron when we come back. That's Tom Thayre, I'm Jeff Joniyaka. This is Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. This segment of Bears Weekly has brought to you by cdw' to be able to get it check and Tom coordinator talk Tommy. Before we get to that, though, the offensive and defensive line improvement in the last three weeks, especially for the offensive line the whole season, the steady improvement of the defensive line.
Speaker 4: Are you feeling that right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you got the kind of consistency in the lineup. You have familiarity with the offense every single rep, every single snap, every single meeting, and the importance of that. These coaches have been talked about the walkthroughs, and I think it's you know, it's a it's a modern day meeting that we basically did in the classroom.
Speaker 5: Now they do it on their feet.
Speaker 3: I said, every every single rep that you get to work together, the better you're going to become.
Speaker 2: All right, Shane Waldron at the podium today, I spoke at length about a lot of different topics, but one of them is what what I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna call communication is king.
Speaker 2: And there's been a lot of communication going on between Waldron and his offensive skill set.
Speaker 9: I think for us, you know, confidence the collective group, you know, being at an elite communication level throughout the last several weeks there. But as far as the feel each Monday, I think you know, around football long enough where you know, having that steady approach where you know, when things are going well, still have to approach Monday with that mindset of correcting, getting better and improving throughout the course of the year, and the same you know, coming off the losses at the beginning of the year as well, So you know, having a steady approach obviously having the confidence building throughout the group right there is something that we've seen on the field and some that we're looking to continue to develop. I think the big thing for sales Scott too for me is you know, that's a weekly process. I know, you know, it's different things evolve and technologies. It's something that our departments do a great job, whether it's analytics or the different information some of our younger coaches provide for us on a weekly basis. But then we get a chance to have an off time and truly look back. I think the big thing obviously is starting faster, you know, keep putting an emphasis on that and a lot of that is going to come down to opening drive third down conversions. Knowing that if you can stay, you can convert on third downs, you can extend those opening drives, you can extend those first quarter drives and play a little bit more efficient at the beginning of games. But it's also not to say that you play well throughout the course of the game. You know, have a chance to rebound from those things if it doesn't start perfectly. So, but that would be the biggest takeaway from the week off and looking back at themselves Scout, well, you.
Speaker 4: Know that's the next big step.
Speaker 2: Time is starting fast because they haven't scored many points in the first quarter, right.
Speaker 3: You know, as much as I listen to all this stuff about the where, how the Bears have been developing, communicating and everything, I think we almost have to reset this thing or reboot that you want to say going into Washington, because your communication in Houston and then your communication at Indianapolis were challenged because you have a supportive opponent crowd, and I think you're gonna have the same thing at the Washington Commander's game, and it's gonna be a loud atmosphere because they're building this momentum with Jalen Jaden Daniels even though he may not play, So there are going to get tested about their communication development with all the moving parts, because you're not going to be able to verbally get all your commands out at the line of scrimmage. It's going to have to be something that you're going to have to know from experience, and you know that's going.
Speaker 5: To be the biggest test this week.
Speaker 2: And no matter who quarterbacks, Washington, stopping that run game is going to be critical. If there is an area that the Bears want to look to see them improvement is the average pre carry all out and limiting explosives. This is Eric Washington, the Bears defensive coordinator ron.
Speaker 7: There are a lot of variables.
Speaker 10: They're run fit variables, their gap control variables, There's some of these things and there's a lot of determination in that room to make sure that we move that particular part of our defense into the top five the way we are with some of the others.
Speaker 9: If Jayden is able to play, do you have to do you anticipate like a different menu of plays for him, just knowing he is vulnerable with the rib injury.
Speaker 10: No, No, If he's out there, I'm going to anticipate him being at his best and I won't try and I won't try and you know, anticipate or speculate about what they're going to do with him. We're going to anticipate him being at his best and and and doing.
Speaker 7: The things that we've been seeing.
Speaker 10: They have multiple personnel groups. He knows exactly what he wants to try and accomplish, how he wants to attack within those personnel groups. Situationally, we are one of the things that somehow we can we can ascertain at times is a tendency and a person within a personnel group. And there's what I would say extreme balance within every personnel group. There's there's no tendency as far as running past within each groups. So there's tremendous balance, and we have to really do a great job of utilizing our keys and trusting what we're seeing.
Speaker 2: Interesting little nugget last year with Eric b Enemy Tom Washington through the ball dropped to throw more than any other team in the NFL. Now Clinton Kingsbury, who is that air raid coach right in college?
Speaker 4: He is running the football.
Speaker 3: There is balance, okay, but this is what I'm looking at is. If I'm a defensive coach getting prepared to play the Washington Commanders, their right tackle is in concussion protocol, his backup has a bad neck, the center has a bad thumb, and the left guard has a bad ankle. So I'm gonna go up and I'm gonna see what ankle is taped, and then I'm gonna see if you have your thumb taped extra and then I'm gonna see who's playing right tackle. A lot of that, according to the plan of attack, is going to factor in as much as who's playing quarterback.
Speaker 5: And I respect Cliff Kingsbury.
Speaker 3: I think he's a good football coach and he's done a great thing with Jade and Daniels. However, we just got done doing a ten minute segment about the variety of defensive linemen that they can sick at this offense. And when I know that they have this many injuries and hiccups and the injury report leading up to this game, I got to check all of them out. I got to test them. Hey, Montes, who do you want to rush against?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 4: He knows him better than anybody exactly.
Speaker 3: That's another element here. And you know when last week when I was watching the Kansas City San Francisco game. They said, oh, Chris Jones is going to line up against everybody but Trent Williams. And that's exactly what he did. Montes, it's third and eight. Who do you want to go against? You know whatever arsenal of players is in there. So it's just something that you got to pay attention to. You got to look at and you got to do a little pregame investigative work.
Speaker 2: All right, Tom, one segment to go, and we will preview you a little bit more of this Washington game and a few surprises along the way before we wrap things up.
Speaker 4: That's Tom Therare.
Speaker 2: I'm Jeff Joniak, and this is ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. This segment of Bears Weekly brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletical dot com to question in clinic or virtual deployment at Start Feeling Better tomorrow, Jeff and Tom as we cross promote our programming with the Bears and our Bears, et cetera. Podcast number one oh five just dropped today. Tom and I had a good fortune of sitting down by zoom with one of the funniest people on the planet, Sebastian Menescalco.
Speaker 4: Here's a portion of what we discussed.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I told my second grade teacher, missus Carlin, that I was going to be a stand up comedian when we did career day, and they looked at me like I was watching, like I was launching Johnny Carson back then, like it was game.
Speaker 2: Day, right, you know, little Dick Cabot just for kicks too, Little Dick Cabot.
Speaker 11: You know, it was always in my blood. I grew up with a very funny family. I mean we were either laughing or crying. There was nothing in between, and we always chose to laugh and bury everything else under the rug. So h yeah, it was no. I have no mistake that I'm a comedian.
Speaker 3: One of my better friends is a Tom Dreese and a comedian, and so when I went to see his opening act, he used to open for Sinatra all the time, and so I watched his act from the audience, and then after I got to go out to dinner with Sinatra and I have a great time with him. But my question to you, did you ever open for anybody? And did you have limitations or was it hey Sebastian. You go out there with your act and sell this crowd. So when I come out there, they're ready to go.
Speaker 11: Before we get into that, you went out to dinner with Sinatra. Yeah, okay, where did you go?
Speaker 7: And was?
Speaker 11: Did he have like a not of cash?
Speaker 5: So it was a pretty interesting story.
Speaker 3: So I I. He entered, deuced me on stage, gave me a hug, told me, hey, kid, this song's for you.
Speaker 5: Sang my kind of Town Chicago.
Speaker 3: We walked out of the stage door and we drove up to Kelly Mondeli's on North Clark Street, and so when we walked in, the restaurant was empty. There was four cops sitting at a front table next to the door, and they came up and they said, hey, don't sit in this chair because mister Sinatra likes to sit with his back to the wall, in his face to the door. And it was it was a barber Sinatra, myself, Tom Dreesen, basketball coach Ray Meyer, and Tim Rightman, one of the tight ends from our eighty five team.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 11: You know Ray Meyer used to live two blocks away from me growing up.
Speaker 7: He was on the corner two walks down and wow, ray Meyer, that's a name I haven't heard in a while.
Speaker 3: All's I want to know outside of the Chicago land area. Do you ever have to explain Jardin there to any of your friends that you meet outside of our Chicago world.
Speaker 12: I don't even hear Jardin out I get to Chicago, jar this is the first time I heard Jarddair since the last I was in Chicago. As soon as you leave Chicago, Jardair stays there.
Speaker 13: No, it's hard to even explain it to people. And beef, you know, a beef sandwich. I talk about beef sandwiches, like, what's that?
Speaker 7: It's that, it's beef, you know.
Speaker 11: Uh So, Yeah, there's a lot of things that are very specific to Chicago that a lot of people just don't understand. But I mean the I can't wait to get back there and start knocking down some Portillo's and beef sandwiches and and and pizza and the whole deal.
Speaker 2: Memorable experience being at a Bears game. I'm assuming you've been to a Bears game. Uh And by the way, after your show, the Bears played the New England Patriots on Sunday the tenth, You should be at Soldier Field.
Speaker 11: My friend, I'm invited to that game.
Speaker 13: However, I have to go to Ohio that night to perform, So I'm trying to figure out how I can make that work. And I haven't been to a Bears since nineteen eighty one, my father to Yeah five, My father took me and we sat in the end zone. This is old Soldier Field and it was freezing and and I haven't been back since. But yeah, I know I gotta get I gotta get.
Speaker 7: Out to a game.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I'll tell you what. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: And I asked him at the end there give us three icons and sports that he'd have dinner with pastor president.
Speaker 4: He went with MJ.
Speaker 2: He went with Carlton Fisk and Harry Carey, and that's a pretty good line up town. We had a lot of fun with him, and a lot of fun tonight. That's gonna wrap us up for ton There. I'm Jeff Jonieck. Thanks to all our guests and our producers. Coming up next, Bleck and Abdala. Have a good night, everybody. It's Bears Washington three twenty five on ESPN, Coming up on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Good night,