Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We were on with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, September twenty ninth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number forty two. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break, rely from that WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by Oh actually were wasented by Blockchain. We'll gohingad to get that out of the late blockchain dot com. Hey, what we are today getting you guys ready for Cowboys versus the page that will happen this Sunday. I think the kicktime is three twenty five, so make sure you check that out. But today we're gonna let you know what we think is going to happen, who we think will win the game at the end of the game. At the end of the show, we'll give you our picks for the show or for the game. Sorry, and we will start, but we normally start with symandry updates. What do we know about our offensive line this point? We got three players that missed last week have had varying degrees of practice this week. What are we hearing and what are we suspect will happen this Sunday?
Speaker 6: All right, We're going to run down the list here. Tyler Baddish was upgraded to limit it from did not participate on Wednesday.
Speaker 5: Progress there.
Speaker 6: Zach Martin also upgraded from DNP to limited progress there as well. Tyrone Smith still did not practice, and it's not anticipated that he will practice on Friday either. Mike McCarthy said this morning that Tyron Smith is expected to be in the rehab group for the totality of today's practice. So not a lot of optimism as far as Tyron Smith is concerned. Is it impossible that he takes the field on Sunday. No, But it is very much a wait and see situation for all three of those guys. But there has been a good progress for Beattish and Martin in their goal in their mission to get back onto the field. Other than that, I mean, you have Tony Pollard had a rest day, Ceedee lamon DeMarcus Lawrence return from their rest days, and Chiu May Doga is limited again as he continues to work through that that elbow situation.
Speaker 5: So looks like two of the.
Speaker 6: Three Cowboys starting offensive linemen have a really solid chance.
Speaker 5: But again, we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 6: Because we got through Thursday, we still got to get through Saturday.
Speaker 2: Based on that, and obviously at this point it looks like with Tyron, you know, who knows likely you know, it could go. Chuma also has the injury. He's still nursing that injury. If Chuma can't play the whole game, who then becomes your left tackle in that instance?
Speaker 6: You're Richards rich I would absolutely say awesome Richards there, and I honestly considering tu much like you said, it is dealing with the elbow injury and limited. I personally, now, this is just me talking, this is not the coaching staff talking. I be okay with having awesome start and then seeing where that goes, which you know, if he goes out there and he performs well, then he Doga gets that much more rest on that elbow. If the rookie goes out there and starts to struggle over the you know, first several series. Then you can put a dog out there and say, Okay, well we tried it, let's let's go with what we know any DOGA. So I would be completely fine if if they looked at Richard's and say, hey, you know, we we sent Hoffmann out there, second year guy, we sent TJ. Bass out there and undrafted rookie. Let's let's see what you can do as a rookie fifth round pick.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna ask you to speculate here. Uh, do you speculate that he has.
Speaker 3: Been practicing all week?
Speaker 7: Awesome Richard's at left tackle with a doga situation.
Speaker 6: I would I would speculate that being the case, because that just makes that much sense.
Speaker 5: It makes it.
Speaker 3: We need to figure out who's been practicing at left tackle.
Speaker 8: That's also McCarthy said he's going to get practice time to everybody, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's and that's and that's good. I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 7: But we need to figure out who's playing it left at who's Notctice and left tackle, because if you tell me that it was, if you tell me it was Tyler Smith, I'd think a whole different thing. But I don't think that's the case, and that's why I said, I asked you if you would just speculate, I mean everything. I would say that Austin Richard's probably practiced a left tackle, which would lead some credence to why you would probably play him in this game or just start him in this game.
Speaker 3: If that's the case.
Speaker 6: I just I'm getting the feeling more and morning. I know we talked about it yesterday. It's different because the injuries aren't happening not good late in the week, so you have a whole week of preparation and then maybe you consider the Tyler Smith to left tackle against the Patriots. But in conversations I'm having in the building, I'm getting the sense that they're really locked in on Tyler Smith at left guard yea.
Speaker 2: And I can't, for the life of me, I can't understand why they're so locked into him staying at guard. But I think that's probably the way it goes as well, is that he's going to be your left guard and they're just gonna keep kind of moving other parts into left tackle.
Speaker 7: It to me, this reminds me very much of when I did work in the scouting department here and Jerry Jones would always talk about the front of the pocket.
Speaker 3: He'd always talk about how.
Speaker 7: Important it was, and he learned this when it was when Romo was involved, of how important it was to have the ability to step forward in the pocket. And he's likely thinking that my best options are to keep the front of the pocket firm and clean for Dak in order to make these things work, and so that would be the only thing.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: Maybe I don't know if Jerry would go in there and tell Mike McCarthy, hey, listen, we need to keep my philosophy. As a general manager, he can say that, he goes, hey, I firmly believe that I need to keep my guards strong and my center strong too for my quarterback. So I don't know if that's something that they're trying to that Mike McCarthy is allowing, or because the general manager asked that, Hey, this is one.
Speaker 3: Of my beliefs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the thing is that's not a I don't think that would necessarily be an uncommon belief. Yeah, So it could be Mike actually thinks that's the philosophy he has as well, right, because very well, it could be the offensive line coaches like I think we need to keep the center of the offensive line stronger right and protect that again. I know what you used to. Nick used to always say this, I'd rather my tackles be the points of failure because my quarterback at least can prepare for that a little bit more special if it's coming toward now on the blind side a little less. With Romo, it always seemed like he had eyes in the back of his head. Sure, so if he knew that guy was coming, he felt he couldn't get away from that guy. But maybe that's it. Maybe they just feel like it's better to have the middle of the pocket protected.
Speaker 3: Bill.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of people in the league that will tell you that quarterbacks can handle edge pressure better than they can.
Speaker 3: Handle pressure in their face.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's I think where we get the some of the thoughts about.
Speaker 6: That, which makes sense because if you know, if you had to choose, like you said, Derek, you'd rather the pocket collapse on the edges and hold firm up front, because then the quarterback can step in to a collapsing on the exterior and then maybe, depending on what the linebackers are doing, he might even have an opportunity to run for you know, four or five yard game maybe more so.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean again, conversations I'm having in the building, I'm just getting the sense they're really locked into Tyler Smith, the left guard. And that's why I say, you know, Chiumey dog I think gets the start. We'll see how it goes with Tyrone Smith. But I would be completely fine with you know, throwing your rookie fifth round pick out there.
Speaker 5: Who did he had a strong camp.
Speaker 6: And if you look at what he did at you and see at granted you and see in the NFL two different things. But there's a lot of potential on Austin Richards.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The thing with awesome Richards, and you make a really good point.
Speaker 7: The thing with Austoin Richards coming out of North Carolina is he's played against some outstanding at rushers.
Speaker 3: He's Clemson, Florida.
Speaker 7: Stay you know, in that Notre Dame in that conference. To me, when he's played against some guys and we saw some things, He's not perfect by any means right now. He probably needs to be a little bit stronger and stuff.
Speaker 3: But you know, the thing with.
Speaker 7: The Doga is that And I don't think a Doga was terrible in that game the other day.
Speaker 3: I mean I had some legitimate concerns.
Speaker 7: About him playing tackle, but you know, if he's compromised, he fought through the game with the elbow problem in that game and you know.
Speaker 3: Was you know, we'll see.
Speaker 7: But I I just like I was taught this a long time ago that they always say that the tackles responsible for the width and the inside three guys are responsible for the depth. And I do I do know working for this guy as the as a general manager, that was something that was important to him.
Speaker 8: I think we have enough in the backups to be able to play better than how you played last weekend. I mean, the running game was there for the running backs and then Dak wasn't absolutely destroyed. He got sacked a couple of times, but other than that, it was a pretty good game as far as like protection wise for him. So I think that after seeing that three starters being out them playing with the backups, last minute type of situation, it gives me a little bit more ease in a sense that they can go out and perform, you know, or do enough. Be that whole extra large band aid that you need. Now you just need to be creative. Now you need to get McCarthy and McCarthy get out there and be more creative with the other pieces that they do have a starters, and how they utilize other guys and even the tight ends, how they can help us as well in the blocking game.
Speaker 2: All right, I wanted to talk a little bit about Tony Pollard. We were going to talk about this yesterday, we ran out of time. There are a couple of things I noted about his performance so far that stood out to me. The first being right now, Tony poll leaves the NFL in rushing attempts with sixty two kind of surprising for me for a guy that has not throughout his career, even going back to college, was never the guy. Was never the guy that was getting all the bulk of the carriers, always split those reps. Do you guys have any concern from the standpoint of workload if you're trying to keep him for a seventeen game season and then hopefully a playoff run, Are there any concerns from the standpoint of giving him that much of a workload here at the early parts of the season.
Speaker 5: I would say a soft yes.
Speaker 6: If they didn't show me the rest day yesterday, that tells me that they're looking at the GPS, they're looking at the workload and they're actively trying to manage this in real time. So if they continue to give Tony Pollard a rest day every couple weeks, maybe once per week, then I think that'll do well in offsetting his added workload, because like you said, he's not been the guy I think since the beginning of high school. So he's going to have to and he will tell you, you know, you call it, I'll haul it, and I love that, and he's absolutely correct. But you got to offset that somewhere because he's kind of being thrown into that RB one row in a big way. But then you also offset it by mixing in a little bit more Rico mixing induce Vaughn mixing in Cavante Turpin is kind of that plus one in the running back room. And then, of course, like I said yesterday, get Hunter lib Key involved like you did last week.
Speaker 5: Keep that going.
Speaker 8: You have enough guys to where you can do that. But I don't think they should lower the amount of times that they give him the ball because one, he's healthy, Two he's young, Three he's getting paid. So if all of the above are there, exactly exactly So if all of those things are there, I mean, this is what we do in the NFL season is play the game. So there's no reason for me unless now you start seeing his body being taking a hit. Then that's where, okay, you look at it and you start managing it a little more drastically, and luckily you have guys where you can balance that thing that out. But right now, I don't I don't think it needs to be that way.
Speaker 7: Ask me that question of week nine. All right, yeah, that's where I think that you'll know. Right now, I think there's to the point where Amber is making it.
Speaker 3: You know, he has it.
Speaker 7: As you mentioned earlier when you were leading up to this, he hasn't had a lot of carries in his career. You know, this is the first time that he's really had this opportunity. You know, if you look at say a guy like Ezekiel Elliott back in the day, uh, you know, b Jeon Robinson split in time at Texas, now with you know, with Atlanta, some of these guys have had a lot of carries in their college careers and then all of a sudden that those carries start to add up when you get to the NFL I think with Pollard though, that.
Speaker 3: They are I think they'll manage him right.
Speaker 7: But until you see that day where there is okay, the play is falling off, where you see him completely falling off, then I would continue to ride that ride that horse until I intwo with my own eyes. I'm like, okay, looks like to me, we're starting to break down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Here's the other thing that jumped out to me. And this this was probably even more shocking than him leading leading the leagues in rush attempts. I think it's because we've always assumed that Tony is more of an outside runner than an inside runner.
Speaker 3: Oh no, he'll run it inside.
Speaker 2: But check this out. Yeah, the Cowboys have had this year. They have run forty times with Tony Pollard inside, yeah, twenty two times outside. So they're doubling the number of times they're running inside with Tony versus outside. And the more interesting thing is he actually leads a league in rush yards inside the tackles. There's one hundred and ninety nine yards there. He's averaging five yards per carry inside the tackles. Are you guys surprised by that?
Speaker 9: Is?
Speaker 2: Does that seem like just these are circumstances of the game, and it just makes sense based upon who they've played in the situations they've been in.
Speaker 7: I kind of feel like that we all thought that Tony was a small guy. Yeah, and he's really not a small guy. He might be a shorter guy, but wait wise to twelve to fifteen something like that though. So Yeah, it to me that the thought of running him inside is because I've always viewed him as if you could get him on the edge, he's one of those guys that kind of he could transition better into he gets the edge and then he hits the hole and now he's outside or he takes it back. When you're inside runner with the with all the trash and stuff, you don't play to his strints, with.
Speaker 3: The elusiveness that he has.
Speaker 7: You know, if he's on the edge, you could see him make cuts and work outside or work back across, or let guys overrun and him come back inside. When you take him inside, he's pretty much taken and getting what he can get, you know, without the ability to play to his strengths.
Speaker 2: That part of its surprising me, right, that's the part that shocks me, because you're not using his best assets I would.
Speaker 6: Think, and I think it's there's some situational football involved in that. You talk about the blowout in New York and you know, using the running game to kind of manage what was going on in the game, not taking unnecessary risks downfield. But I think what's surprising for me is not that Tony can run in those gaps. It's the fact that he's averaging what he's averaging with backup offensive lineman because this has been a makeshift offensive line since week one. We've not seen this this front five behold just yet and getting still Tony Pollard he's doing the dirty work and getting the yards as well. So that's what's surprising is not that he can do it, is that he's doing it with backups in front of him in one capacity or another. So I like that because that gives you a lot of optimism for win that offensive line this whole.
Speaker 5: Then what does he look like?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I had a lot of questions or uncertainty when I knew, Okay, Zeke is on and then now you're giving this role to Tony Poller, and we had seen him capable of playing a full game and taking charge and doing really well. But we hadn't seen week after week, game after game, and I think characteristic wise, that would be It is surprising to me that you're saying that, because that's not what you think of him as that's always been zeke type of play. That's when Zeke goes in and does that, takes charge of that. So it is surprising and and that's not what you're expecting. But it's not surprising because you know he's a talented player, He's a talented running back. But it's it's good to see that because there are times that you've seen Zeke trying to run or block somebody more block than running, and he'll just bounce back. There were times that happened last year and then you imagine, oh god, what does Tony how is he gonna look like in that situation when Zeke has looked this way. So but he, I mean, he's doing it. He's doing it, and good for him. I'm I'm happy that he's kind of started proving me wrong in that way. Not that he needs to, but you know, it's just good to Like.
Speaker 7: That old lady in the Titanic movie when you start to talk about the offensive line playing together.
Speaker 5: It's.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm standing when they actually had him Doug Free and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they like you know, they had a Travis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ron Leary and you run the same five out there every week years since I've seen this offensive line play together.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 5: You're looking at it.
Speaker 6: You're like comb back yeahs, floating on the wood sink to the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 2: That's me, all right, that's we're gonna take. We're gonna take our first breaking and come back. And the game for us it's called let's take a trip down memory lane little bit in the second segment, and then we'll get to the final segment where we will get to the picks and we'll let you guys know what we think are the keys for the offense of the defense. We've back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. Se Att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 6: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his.
Speaker 5: Bank of America Mobile Banking App.
Speaker 12: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assist in Erica.
Speaker 6: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 12: Everica is only available in the English language. You mut download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices. Message in doat rates MA apply number FDIC.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, Let's hear from my next caller, would.
Speaker 2: You, Dear Doctor, My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 3: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the.
Speaker 1: Shoulder to cry out?
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 7: Back to the break, Yep, do you eat, Sleep, and breed Dallas Cowboys Football?
Speaker 3: Tell us how you spice.
Speaker 7: Up the game for a chance to be named twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself or another today at Dallas Cowboys dot Com slash Fan.
Speaker 3: Of the Year.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Second segment of the Break Laughing thats WBC Morgan Studios at the Star. We'll let this segment be brought to you by blockchain as well being all right, here we go, Amber. Amber's got a game for us. It's called Let's take a trip down Memory Lane?
Speaker 3: Quick answers. I promise I'll give you a quick a.
Speaker 2: Mine or not quick, because I got some stories and let's go.
Speaker 8: And that's the whole point. I want to hear stories.
Speaker 3: We had a long list, so I don't want to it is a long list.
Speaker 2: She looks like my kind of rundown, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, all right, let's calm down here, this is my segment. Here we go, Here we go. All right, let's just reminisce on some good memories, some bad ones. So let's get into it. A first question for you, guys, what was your favorite play of all time?
Speaker 5: Of all time?
Speaker 8: Show me thinking too hard. I give you the guys this question before.
Speaker 2: I know exactly what it is. I can't remember the exact game in the year. This is when I usually would have Nick here to be able to say it was this game, it was three thirty seven left in the game, whatever, but it was the Woody Danceler punt return touchdown at Texas I think Texas Texas Stadium.
Speaker 13: It was.
Speaker 2: If you've never seen it, go to YouTube and just look up Woody Danceller punt return. It was, by far, I think one of the best just football plays I've ever seen in my life. It had so many moments in it when he should have gone down and he didn't, and he runs it all the way back. But that was by far my favorite play.
Speaker 8: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go with.
Speaker 6: This one is for the late great Marion Barber, the Barbarian. The most physical two yard run I've ever seen in my life. If you haven't seen it, go to YouTube and hit that search criteria hit Marion Barber two yard run and you would see exactly what I'm talking about. That play is the definition of what the Barbarian was. He just refused to go down guys running, you know, bumping off of them in I mean, it was just the most exciting two yards I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 5: So shouts out to the late great Marian Barber.
Speaker 7: Alvin Harper's touchdown pass against the San Francisco forty nine Ers. When I was sitting in a box full of San Francisco forty nine ers fans, they and they were talking about how bad everybody was from Dallas. And when Harper caught that ball, I'm screaming, run, run, run, run run, and then I mft everybody walking out of the box.
Speaker 3: That was my favorite Cowboy play up all time.
Speaker 6: I got an honorable mention. Romo's spin on TJ. Watt forty three yard bonded terrence was honorable mention.
Speaker 8: That was exciting. Okay, funniest memory with the Cowboys something that happened that was a funny moment.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'm at a point in my life whenever it starts, I'm finally ready to let my pain be someone else's laughter. So there was a year we're back in two thousand seven, I think it was. It was the It was actually we were going to Green Bay to play the Green Bay Packers and went to the game. Cowboys are having a bad season. They go to Green Bay, and they just get blasted. And we are coming back from that game and we're on the plane. Nick tells me. He tells me, I'm going to I'm going to write that I think the coach should be fired. I'm gonna write this. And so Mike kind of kind OF's true. So he's like, all right, cool, I'm gonna write this. So he writes the story. I get home that night, I finished putting up. At that time, I was still posting all the articles onto the website. I finished posting all the articles onto the website, and I'm getting ready for bed. I literally put my phone over on my night stand and I turn over to get into my bed and my phone rings, and I'm thinking this can't be good, because at this point, it's like overnight, it's like three, three o'clock in the morning. Pick up the phone. Uh, and it's a guy from the company that hosts our website, and he's like this. He's like, Derek, yeah, we're getting some errors from your website that says the domain doesn't exist. And I'm like what He's like, seriously, We're getting some some error messages when we go to your website. So I jump up, I go grab my computer. I jump on and sure enough, I pull up our website and it is basically showing a picture of some little girls playing soccer. This is Dallascowboys dot com and there's little girls playing soccer, and it says domain not here, like it doesn't show our website. I run onto. I jump onto to the to our our where we register our domain. I look and I see Dallascowboys dot com is available. Anybody out there can buy it. It's available. So I run and grab my wallet and I literally purchased Dallas Cowboy right there on Spot. And I'm thinking, Okay, problem averted, we got it back. We're good. Come to find out, not so much, because if you know anything about how the Internet works, basically it propagates these these Basically there are servers all around the world that then take the domain and they say when a person types in the domain, it says, this is the server you need to go to in order to get information. Well, when that gets deleted, it takes sometimes forty eight seventy two hours for that to repopulate. So get to the next day and Dallas Cowboys dot com is still down. And by the way, Nick posted an article that said the head coach should be fired, and then, by the way, the head coach gets fired and they're going to have a press conference about it, and Dallas Cowboys, where people would come to find out that information and where people would come to watch the press conference is down, and for the next forty eight to seventy two hours people were not being able to see Dallascowboys dot com. We figured out what had happened in the whole thing. But that was the worst, absolute worst three days of my entire.
Speaker 8: Career working here for you got fired.
Speaker 2: I did not get fired, and luckily, luckily, luckily he might have saved your job. Well luckily. The thing about it was, I think part of it was we had done some pretty good work up until that point, and because we'd done some pretty good work, that saved me. Like that was like and it wasn't really my fault, but that's besides the point. It's in my responsibility, you know. So at the end of the day, I did not lose my job. But man, that was a stressful three days, really hard three days. He knows he was with me those three days. That was a hard three days.
Speaker 8: Brian.
Speaker 7: We forgot to turn into trade with cant to the league office one time.
Speaker 3: We it was it's a famous one.
Speaker 7: We almost let the clock run out, and Chris Hall walked into the draft room and goes, did.
Speaker 3: Anybody turn the trade into the league?
Speaker 7: At Steven Jones literally dives on the test to get the phone to trade. But we we we're on to the point where were all kind of like, yeah, we got this trade, we got the pick, we got our guy, and we're all like celebrating it. And then the next thing you know, it's Chris goes, we turned into trade, and we all realized no, we didn't. And now the clock TV. Everything's going nuts on TV and we're standing there like, oh my god, what just happened. But that was one of those moments where when it was over, the league called back and said, don't you ef ever do that? And we all had a little laugh out of that, Yeah, because it all turned out, well, yeah, it wouldn't have been picked up the phone and goes all right, yes, Joel, thank you, thank you, Yes, sir, thank you.
Speaker 3: Hung up the phone and we all started laughing, Wow.
Speaker 5: I can't talk either one of those.
Speaker 6: And Minus bike around you'll get yeah, and Minus mine is pretty short. But for me, it was the funniest moment that I can talk about, because you know, we have like noble moments and stuff I can't talk about. You know, what happens in Malibou, who stays in Melobolle? Right, But this this was last year, and this was this was the situation where in the entire NFL world is waiting to see where Dan Quinn is, what he's gonna do. Is he gonna stay with the Cowboys as you know as DC, or is he going to go back into head coaching.
Speaker 5: And of course Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: As a whole, they're pleating on Twitter and Facebook and then like just damn stay stay, stay, stay Stay. So that particular day, I happen to go downstairs grab something to eat. Somebody comes tapping on the back of the shoulder. I turn around. It's DQ, and I'm like, oh, hey, hey, DQ. And he's pointing down at the shoes, at my shoes, and he's like, where'd you get those kicks from? Okay, well this is in my head. I'm like, this is random, this is aw some pretty freaking awesome. So we started talking about the shoes really quickly, and then I noticed that he had on some Jordan wons, so we started talking about the Jordan wands. I go back upstairs, I sit down. This is not five minutes later he decided to stay with the Cowboys. So you can make the correlation there if you, if you like, I believe he stayed because of my shoes. Later that afternoon, I went back downstairs just to grab a drink and DQ was still there, and I was like, DQ, was it the shoes.
Speaker 5: He looks at me and he just.
Speaker 6: Does the shrug like so I'm always going to tell myself that it was my Airmax ninety fives I kept Dan.
Speaker 2: Which I'll that's my story.
Speaker 5: I'm sticking to it.
Speaker 8: So thanks Patrick, thanks for your country to the shoe game.
Speaker 5: You know all right?
Speaker 8: Next question, I wanted to ask you guys, best road game experience. Not necessarily, oh, press box food is awesome here, but if a fan was to look for a game that they would want to go and experience on the road, and we've experienced the town and the atmosphere, you would say, Lamba.
Speaker 7: I would because they have they have Lombardi Steakhouse there. Me and Hellman used to just say we took you one time. Yeah, we went to, but we all went to. Yeah, we always got a steak there at the in Appleton. And then when you chow up at that place, the tailgating, the smells, the sites, the sounds, some really bad memories there as well. But if you want the overall experience, it's a really good football experience.
Speaker 6: I agree with Lamba And I'm mean you can just feel the legacy in the air in Lambo, like when you walk into lambeau Stadium or onto lambeau Field, like just you feel the Bart Scott and the bread Farv and just that's football. Like you feel the football in the air for me. And you can't really say that about, you know, some of the newer stadiums because like for example, MetLife is a very nice stadium, but it's not the old Giant Stadium. It's not the same. Like AT and T Stadium is nice, but it's it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: The Cotton Bowl is a Texas stadium, so kind of different. But when you talk about lambeau Field, as soon as you walk in, you just feel like, yeah, it's like we're about to play football, Like football is about to be played here.
Speaker 5: So I love that.
Speaker 7: Nothing better than a victory in Philadelphia too, by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 8: I would not recommend nobody to show up.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that. Oh no, that's Derek about me around. I think.
Speaker 2: They deserved it, you know, out throughout real quick. It's not a traditional one. But when we went to London, man.
Speaker 3: We had that's fabulous.
Speaker 2: And the reason why it was such a great trip was the fan because the fans there fans, they have a love for the cowboys, and it was we had we did some shows there and we had crowds that came out, especially that last show we did. We had crowds out there out the yeah, to get into there to to see the show. And of course Nick had the three babies that he was holding.
Speaker 3: That was always he was hammered when he was doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, worried, but but yeah.
Speaker 7: That was that was a lot of fun. You know what's cool about that trip too is just staying right there. Literally walked out the door, took a left and it was like the stadium was like one hundred yards from us.
Speaker 2: It was really a cool experience, really cool experience.
Speaker 8: Do we have time or we got to go to break No.
Speaker 2: We can go all the way to forty we can go all the way you got.
Speaker 8: This is good us all right, favorite player of all time, all around.
Speaker 2: Easy Darren Woods's mind.
Speaker 5: Darren Woods.
Speaker 2: It's so shocking because around look, if you talk to our crew, it's that's a pretty common game that people throw out. And it just speaks to the kind of person he is really and.
Speaker 7: Even a better player too, great player against him in Green Bay. And when I got to know him here and just how tough he was, and you talk about a funny story was him when George t took a run at Tarrell Owens in that game, what he got kicked out too? And I was standing down in the locker room after and when he came out of the shower and he looked at George, he goes, what the hell are you doing here? And he goes, I just got tossed for taking a run at Owens. He goes, about damn times somebody got pissed off around here. Now that's just the kind of.
Speaker 3: Guy wo he was.
Speaker 7: I felt I felt so sad for him being that kind of a player and playing on those bad teams that we had for.
Speaker 5: Those three Give his gold jacket.
Speaker 2: There will not be a happier day I think in our crew, well for a Hall of Fame announcement than the day that Darren which I.
Speaker 7: Was with the roy Le Roy Butler excuse me in Green Bay and Wood. He's a better player than Leroy Butler. Who's in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: I'll say that true favorite media player. That means, who's the guy that just kind of makes our jobs easy? Easy going?
Speaker 3: Curs is really good what I said.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but back in the day, Marcus Spears, Marcus was Marcus Spears would stand there and talk.
Speaker 3: To you the whole time when the you know, whether.
Speaker 5: Good or bad, good or bad?
Speaker 7: He said, all right, what questions you got and he would sit there and he would give you really good solid answers that you're going around.
Speaker 2: I will, I will go back to the guys coming here this weekend, Zeke Elliott. Like, that's one thing I respected Zeke for because not everybody's like this, win lose. He had a good game, he had a bad game. He was the first one we get in the locker room, will be like, y'all ready, and he would take all the questions until everybody was done, and he would say thank you.
Speaker 3: For he.
Speaker 8: Just got it over.
Speaker 2: I respect that to me, And I know fans sometimes they're like, I hate when the media is like so arrogant to think the players have to talk to them.
Speaker 3: No, it's not that.
Speaker 2: It's that you are a professional now and a part of the professional responsibility is answering the fans. Being the face for the franchise. Two fans like, that's a part of your responsibilities as a professional. And I think some guys get that and they take it seriously. Some guys don't. Zeke took it seriously and he did it really well, so I appreciate that about it.
Speaker 6: And for me now, it's definitely, like you said, Brian, jay Ron Curse, the present tense. But I'll also give a nod to Malie Cooker. And while jay Ron Curse does much of his on camera, a lot of these discussions happened off camera and with the recorders off that fans don't see. Example being yesterday, Malik Hooker, he sat at his locker for all of fifteen to twenty minutes just having a football conversation with myself and several other media members and it was all off the record, but it was football talk. It was about what does he feel the Cowboys need to improve upon and things like that. So, Malik Hooker, I mean this Cowboys safety unit, I mean they're really open and available and they're not afraid to answer the tough question. Now, what went wrong? Oh, we didn't execute you know? So that was Milie Cooker's up there too.
Speaker 8: All right, best, I'm sorry Patrick because you were.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I gotta defer for this one.
Speaker 8: For the Ogs Valley Ranch memories and I know you you got some the maybe we can't share on me.
Speaker 2: I'll give a quick one I have. I have a lot of them, obviously because we had some great times there. But this is what made me realize the world I was living in. This because it was not long after I started working for the Cowboys. It's gonna start weird, so don't just follow me. I went to the restroom and I'm standing.
Speaker 5: It's a weird start, and we'll stick with you.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm standing at the urinal. I hear the door me, right, hear the door from behind me. Someone walks up to the urinal next to me and I look up and it's John Madden and he's like wow, and I'm like, that's that's John Matten. Like I've played your game since it's you know, And that's when I realized working for the Cowboys is so cool if you're a football fan, especially when you get an opportunity. And I have an answer later about Jerry's Hall of Fame party, but it's the same thing, like when you get a chance to be around people that you know. I'm fifty years old now, but when I was a kid, I was watching these people and I was to these people like, that's fun for me. All the players now they're young enough to be my kids, so it's not the same kind of relationship, right well for some of these guys that were around when I was a kid, man, it's really cool and having those kinds of experience which just so awesome.
Speaker 3: I have two and I'll do them both real quick.
Speaker 7: My first one is we started the draft show in a tiny little shoe box of a studio and Ed ed Ca Hill came up with the idea.
Speaker 3: Derek proved it, we got it together.
Speaker 7: Everybody worked really hard on it, but that's where it started, in a tiny little room, and it's one of my favorite things I ever do for the year. My second one was walking down the hall, the long hallway from coaching to where we used to sit there and scouting and stuff like that on that other side and running into Jerry Jones and he going up to me and he'll say, he said, Brian, he goes, you're kicking my ass pretty good right now. But you're fair about it. Keep up the good work. At that point, I thought I lost my job.
Speaker 2: You're working for president.
Speaker 3: I was working at that point.
Speaker 7: I was just sitting there and I'm thinking, okay, I went into that area and I sat down and I literally almost threw up in my trash can there, and I was like, you know, but that's that's those memories. You run into people, like Derek says, walking down the hall, here comes the owner, you know, and you might have a moment here you're running into people.
Speaker 3: There were always famous people that were always you know.
Speaker 7: Another quick one too, Bill Parcells And when he was office talk to the door, John bon Jovi was sitting there talking.
Speaker 3: So Brian, meet John. And I'm like, John.
Speaker 5: A big deal.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean it's like I.
Speaker 7: Was interrupting coach and there's this gentleman with like a lot of hair sitting there and I.
Speaker 3: Could see in the back and I walked up.
Speaker 7: And I'm like, my god, John bon Jovi, you know, talking to Bill Parcells. So a lot of cool memories for the day we closed the Valley Ranch doors.
Speaker 3: I have it on my video. I think I was the last one out.
Speaker 7: I turned off the light, closed the door, and I kept a video of it because it was it was a great cool well.
Speaker 8: The cool thing about that place it was so small, nothing compared to this. It was so small. And I remember, obviously I was only there for like a year and a half, but you walk can you run into people all the time because it's such a small space. And I remember the first time I was walking to head I think it was out to practice or something, and then a coach I'm walking, you know, you walk past their offices and stops me, Hey, Ember, come here. And I seriously thought I was in trouble because I'm like, why are you talking to you?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 8: And well I should have thought of this before I started the story. I'm not gonna finish the story. No, nothing bad, but nothing to be told. But the point is you just get stopped all the time by people that typically here there's like a certain wall that's created, invisible wall of division, and over there you were just so merged together.
Speaker 7: Did you ever do the Grandees? But yeah, okay, Grandy's the one time. One of my favorite little stories about Grandis is Parcels. We do the press conference with the Grandi's teacup. He loved the sweet tea and.
Speaker 2: On ice and they coached, but they got mad at him.
Speaker 7: He had to put the Grandy sweet tea in another cup because of the sponsorship stuff.
Speaker 3: I remember, I'm like.
Speaker 7: Why is Bill And he's like, I'd see Bill like pouring tea into one cloud.
Speaker 3: You do it?
Speaker 7: He goes, oh, you know, sponsor sometime you gotta little gotta be play the game like okay, but that was Valley Ranch. But we had the press conference too for t O. It was kind of a weird day. A lot of weird days.
Speaker 2: Helicopters over here, Yeah, a lot of weird stuff. That was the day that that for those that don't know, we're talking about with the day that that t O had the overdose, if it was an overdose whatever whatever.
Speaker 7: Bill had to do a press conference and he was like so bitter, so bitter, weird day, real quick to chan Gaily got fired. He came through our office over and scouting and he's like, hey, is there a way to get out of here?
Speaker 3: Side door? I said, coach, you go to the loading dock at the back over here. And he goes, okay, thanks, So he went through.
Speaker 2: That was after he'd been firing.
Speaker 7: The media was all wait for by his car and he went out the back.
Speaker 3: He had someone bring the car around and he but he went out tame through it.
Speaker 7: He's like, and is there a door over here? So I said, yeah, you could go out in the loading dock over here.
Speaker 2: Surprised you never knew about that loading dot?
Speaker 3: Do we all know about the load? About the loading go? It smelled so bad at that load? Awful.
Speaker 6: An, I'm going to have some phone with you right now. How many answers are you going to do.
Speaker 3: A lot of it?
Speaker 7: That was good, But the memories, the memory.
Speaker 2: Now you've been talking, I've had four or five pop in my head, like that's the thing. Valley Valley Ranch was incredible.
Speaker 3: It really really was. You're right? How tiny it just closed?
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well I'll save the rest for another week because I know we got to go to break Yeah, well, we'll bring some memories.
Speaker 6: I was at least hoping for the best experience. I didn't want to do the best experience.
Speaker 8: You do that one because we need Yes, Yes, because you have the Valley Ranch best experience.
Speaker 6: Tampa Cowboys Wild Card game retiring Tom Brady. That's plain and simple, straight to the point.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're gonna take our five break, we'll come back, let's get some picks, let's figure out what we think will happen this Sunday till n We'll be back back right ready.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sportsterfic equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 7: Back to the Break, mark your calendar and get your leader Hosen and Stein's Ready. Frisco Octoberfest Official returns for their fourth annual celebration on Saturday, October seventh at The Star in Frisco, featuring Bavarian inspired activities, delicious food and drink, and plenty of great live entertainment. Visit thestardistrict dot com slash events for more information.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. Final segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios. At the start, it may be the fastest segment we will ever do on the Break. We're going to take picks here. We want to see what you guys think is going to happen this Sunday Cowboys versus Patriots. Let's start with you, Brian, Cowboys twenty three to thirteen, twenty three thirteen.
Speaker 8: Amber, Oh, I should have thought of the score. But either way, Cowboys win. I think defense is gonna play a whole lot better back, get back on track. Offense. I think they'll play better, hopefully, but I don't think all their offensive problems are going to be solved in one game. But I think they do enough to win. Who scores the first touchdown? Running back?
Speaker 2: We're gonna get to that.
Speaker 8: No, we're finishing. I'm telling you right now.
Speaker 2: Oh you okay, go ahead?
Speaker 8: The running back, that's the question, right It's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Which the pod pick is. Who's going to be who can get the first rushing touchdown?
Speaker 8: Rushing touchdown? Dak?
Speaker 2: All right, Dak.
Speaker 5: That's fine.
Speaker 6: That means they're doing the first and goal stuff that I wanted to see them do. Bill Belichick is going to be a nail bier until the pressure gets to Mac Jones and rattles him. He throws a late game picked six, Cowboys twenty seven to seventeen. All right, first rushing touchdown, Hunter Lipkey.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. Yeah right, Rico Daddo.
Speaker 2: Rico Daddell, all right. And I also think Cowboys win. I think they win twenty four to sixteen. Think the defense plays a lot better. I think the office still has some moments, but also does a couple of things right obviously, and they get to win. And my pod pick will be one hundred lip key as well.
Speaker 3: That's all right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys joining us back Monday. We're gonna tell you what went right and what went wrong for the Cowboys till then for Patrick Walker, Brian brought us Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Eilds and this has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.