Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: COWS.
Speaker 3: This is the Player's Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Hecma Harrison, and New.
Speaker 4: He scrugs.
Speaker 5: Everybody, Welcome to the Players Lounge the day after President's Day. We are you, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison birthday celebration. I am New, he scrugs.
Speaker 6: So it's a nice shirt to you. I got nothing else to say about this man and shirts. Man with the shirts.
Speaker 4: Shirt.
Speaker 2: He got your shirt, I mean.
Speaker 6: Shirt painted, pholded up from everything like it's a no texture shirt. I angry love. Yeah, the man could talk about some cake. This man couldn't even bring no cake.
Speaker 5: He cooked it, you know.
Speaker 2: I hold up the man a T shirt.
Speaker 6: We out long, We've been doing the show and five years. Then last time we wouted something, My man, how it gets.
Speaker 2: You the bottle something?
Speaker 5: You forgot that food?
Speaker 2: We ate you right? Right?
Speaker 7: That what I just said back, You got me and took care till he got me lunch.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: It's just me. Yeah, it's just it's just you.
Speaker 5: You don't want to want to come out there and collect your back.
Speaker 2: Were talking about bets. Did you bet him to get that?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I was a friend.
Speaker 6: Did y'all make a bet to get there? That's something you owe me? Told that what you owe me?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Just me purchase the team Danny shirt.
Speaker 2: You try to support me? Take back what I said? Yeah, all right, brother, knew. Good to see you man.
Speaker 5: You know is a defensive point. There happened to mister press conference. I was out covering baseball and surprise Arizona. So, uh thoughts on Zim two point oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at me, you look at me. I love it. I love it. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with you know, I think from the beginning, I didn't think that, you know, the Jones family was gonna go with an unproven commodity. As much as I would have liked for them to look at look at some other guys, they were gonna go with somebody that they know was proven. And who else better than Zim, a guy that they have had plenty of history with him and he has survived plenty of head coaches, uh here, and so look he was it was a natural to bring in a guy like that and look for coach Zimmer, he doesn't come in here with having to formulate a whole nother scheme and all of that. I think dan Quinn kind of showed him the foundation of what he has at the base of this defense. The number one thing is, y'all know it's gonna be asked, how is he going to use Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: That's it, period, Dott.
Speaker 6: The n and I think dan Quinn did all the hard work for you.
Speaker 2: No doubt. I don't know about this one.
Speaker 7: I'm not too sure about this one because when we look at, you know, Minnesota Vikings defense, you know over the past couple of years. Not saying that he was a DC or he was call on players or anything like that, but you know, it was the last time Minnesota was known to have that great Vonnit defense, that defense that shut people out. I mean, last time the Cowboys went up there to pass. Couple times Cooper Rush went up there and put a put put on some points on him.
Speaker 2: That Prescott put a forty piece on him. So that wasn't that is true. That is true. I will say that.
Speaker 7: So to me, I got to see how he how he you know, incorporates himself within this defense. You know from hearing all the quotes out there Harrison Smith saying he's kind of a guy that gets after players as far as toughens them up, and maybe that's what this defense needs, as far as a different voice coming in here and making people accountable for their actions out there.
Speaker 2: So if he can bring that, I'm all forward. But when we talk about.
Speaker 7: Minnesota and their defense, just when was the last time it was, like, man, the purple people eaters, they out there doing work out there.
Speaker 2: I just haven't seen that. So I'm looking forward to seeing what Zim can do.
Speaker 6: I'm going to say I like the decision to bring in Zim. I think you bring in somebody that's familiar. You bring in somebody there, Like you said, around the league, people are talking about accountability.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: What have we been talking about around here for the five years that we've been on this podcast finding a way to be accountable?
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, just go listen.
Speaker 6: To some news or some podcasts over the Super Bowl week or weeks before that, and you listen to things that needs to be addressed by a guy like Zimmer holding people accountable right, making sure that people are focused on football, and the main thing is the main thing, it's football. The thing I disagree with you on is Michael Parsons. He got to find him somewhere to put them. They need to find out him, Zimmer, how are we going to handle this interior defensive line? That is your biggest ifs for me is hey, for the for the last few years, even before Nolan got here, we have not found a way to get one of those big one technique, zero, technique three, somebody that's on the inside that it's a difference maker. You tried to draft the guy didn't work out for you last year. We'll see how magic Smith works out this year. But Zimmer is gonna have to figure out how to handle this than then and get this handled in the trenches. I have some I agree with you, man, and so I'm excited about. I think you need a new voice. You need a guy who's with him to come in here on a one year deal essentially, because you don't know what's gonna happen after after this year. But the biggest thing for me is the accountability and the fact that I'm hearing other players say, hey, he's gonna coast the heck out of you, and you're gonna appreciate it when it's over. But he's gonna hold you accountable no matter if you're the top player on the team or the worst or at the bottom of the roster. He's gonna treat you in a way that make sure he gets the best out of you. And I think that's what we need here. Shout out to dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: He did. Dan Quinn did an amazing job.
Speaker 6: The voice change here I think would be great as long as the players are here to receive it.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the issue that we have. We're not sure. We're not sure about that part.
Speaker 5: What I'd like to know from the Joneses is their thought process go back to when Kellen Moore was here quarterback coach. They elevated an offensive coordinator. They felt good and fine about it, and we really didn't know much about Kellen Moore. You know, how they had such respect for dan Quinn and how he went about this defense and changed it. You know, from the first year when they got rid of knowing to when he came in here. They were paying this man big time money and he brought in his coaches. Joey Jr. Dan Quinn got who oh by the way, McCarthy worked with, they got eight and Dirty dan Quinn got So you pass on those guys and they become defensive coordinators for other teams. I'd love to know why they didn't think those guys were worthy. But yet d Q Boom immediately goes and gets with who, by the way, would have liked to have the job here because he told talked to him about last year, and then Dirty as well. I'm going to be very curious to see what happens in those those careers there and then people say, well, they know Zimmer and they weren't gonna go make anybody first time got but they've done it before. Offensively, Jason Garrett was a quarterback coach in Miami for a year and then they brought him here as the offensive corder. In fact, remember heck, they hired Jason before they even hired the head coach. He was that sold on. So I'd love to know why you'll take a chance offensively with unknowns. But defensively, I don't know about that.
Speaker 6: You know, you know, I'm just thinking and this is a little bit different, But I think about when rich Possoskia left and they put Ko to run rich Posassia's scheme, which if you don't bring your own thing in right, just bringing in the new voice to do the same old stuff. Sometimes that doesn't work. And I think for me that was a fear of what may happen. We'll elevate somebody else, but we'll still be running the same stuff. And we're still in here talking about accountability problems, not no uh, not holding up in the trenches trying to get that stuff figured out. And I think you bring up a guy who's already here, I think you still have those same issues. Put hear me out on this man. And I only think when I say this about Micah and just in general, because I agree with you, you're going to have to bring in the personnel around him to accentuate who he is as a player. I think we got in trouble three years ago and we started using the word hybrid with guys like Kean O'Neill and players like that, and we essentially we just started drafting guys. Oh he's a defensive end of cads, we'n move him down to the five. You know, we'll move making him a three and all that, and guys were playing out of positions. What is his vision as a defensive coordinator?
Speaker 2: Zimmer?
Speaker 6: That is because I think when I look at young coaches in the NFL, they coach scheme more. They come in with a scheme. For me, I think Zim, he's going to be successful if he coaches player. It's like you mentioned last week, Dick lebo a play a coach like that that goes and he gets number forty three Palamalu. He knowed, he knew how to use Palamalu in that system. Any other coach wouldn't have been able to use him that way. What has Zimmer seen from the outside looking in that says I can use Michael like that. That's what I'm interested and seeing. Because this defense already top five, top ten takeaways, pressures, and sacks. The piece that you have to add to this defense isn't as large as people think it is.
Speaker 2: You gotta stop the damn run. That's it.
Speaker 6: You gotta stop the run. And to me, I think that's that's gonna be his calling card when he went here. So he gotta stop the run real quick, though, So can we can at anybody?
Speaker 7: When was the last time Zim was like the head of the defense, he was Cincinnacinnati And in those Cincinnati runs, was it similar to Minnesota where they have those two high two high safeties. It wasn't really a lot of single high safety out there. And that's what this defense in the past couple of years talking about Quinn system has flourished in a single high safety because they have those pieces like a Donald, like a curse at times that can go down there and get into those bodys. When you get into that, when you get into that too high system, we all understand that's different for safeties.
Speaker 2: That's a different personnel wise.
Speaker 7: Are we gonna trust that if they do type run that thing, that Donald can be back in a half half.
Speaker 2: Feel safety of the entire game.
Speaker 7: I know Hooker can do it because he's been in the back end predominantly his whole career.
Speaker 2: But do we have those pieces to kind of fit into that too high system. I think you would be the best person to tell.
Speaker 7: Us, Yeah, I don't think that's something I gotta we got.
Speaker 2: We gotta look at it.
Speaker 6: That's not that's scary. And I'm not talking about Donald. The man makes how much money he can't get back there and play cover too. That that that that would be a bigger issue than bringing in bringing in a new He better be able to get back. Yeah, we haven't seen it. Ye now I feel you and I think you know. The whole thing is changing. So yeah, ahead, no.
Speaker 5: No, just just piggybacking on stopping the run. Defensive line coach chefs Agni comes in here with Mike Zimmer and then former Dallas Cowboy, former first round draft breg Ellis is a defensive line coach. So this is where they're starting from. But ultimately we look at these coaches and is it the carpenter is at the carpenter's tools and right now the carpenter's tools. Uh, the toolbox is lacking, and they've got to figure out how they're going to address it. And obviously next month was when free agency starts, and then the draft will be in April. They've got to address that up front. Somebody they asked me about Mozzie Smith, and I said, I don't know. Can you trust Mozzie Smith. He didn't talk to us. You know, mozzid a great job of ducking the media, and so I don't know what the offseason program is going to be for him and where they're going to go, what they're gonna do. But some people like Brian brought us right. Skyboys dot Com says, you know what, hey, I think he's gonna be. Okay, don't give up on him yet, but you gotta be at some point in time, we gotta have some comfort. We saw with jay On Tobert where he got better, you know. We saw with Treyvon Diggs after forget, we saw where he got better. Right now, we don't know how does Mazie Smith get better.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, y'all asked the tough questions and look over here.
Speaker 6: You know what we coming into last season, we figured the whole time we needed a guy at the one technique that can stop the one. Even though we had it got I got in free agency mid season, it's still was something that was lacking there. And we thought, look if we get this guy number one out of the back, coming from uh coming from Michigan, he seemed to fit that Bill, but then once you put him on the field, none of that came to pass. He lost the weight, he didn't fit. No Bill Herd.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 6: Now I hope, I really, I really do hope that that Masie Smith comes on this year and he plays better. That still ain't gonna be what solves the running game issues. You got linebackers that you need to figure out how to get to get in the draft or getting free agency. You got to help us. You gotta sure up the inside with the one and the three or what. However, Zimmer comes in here and decides to play it, and then I think the whole thing with finding out how to play Mike, I think as good as he.
Speaker 2: Is, that's what makes that a strange thing to me.
Speaker 6: Like he's gonna be he should be able to play anywhere, right, Like, hey man, you go right there and then you're gonna be a different difference maker right there, versus like we gotta find a way to put you in a in a whatever position to be successful. Nah you you you said you're the number one pass rush of the league, So we ain't gotta find nowhere to put you.
Speaker 2: You're gonna win wherever you at. I think that is the thing.
Speaker 6: So like, let Michael be what he's gonna be, right because you know he's a great player, figure out the rest of this stuff and then then work off of that because you trying to work around and having Mike could be successful.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be an issue for you.
Speaker 5: But Michael told Stephen Stephen a swift he's giving Jerry some you know. He has his.
Speaker 2: Thoughts on roster, which to me is wild.
Speaker 5: Sister gm he Lebron.
Speaker 6: It's the same dude that said it don't matter how far you making the playoffs. If you don't win the super Bowl, then it don't matter. It's all participations in trophies. He help us losing in the wildcard around. It's the same as the San Francisco forty nine is playing in the close game with the Kansas City Chiefs, going to overtime and losing. Is what he said. Crazy or not, it's crazy. It's crazy. It don't make no sense.
Speaker 5: We hear the word accountability. So the same book where I read about trust, read about accountability. There's there's not the accountability that needs to be on this football team. And as great a talent as Michael Parsons is, he's doing a lot of talking and the accountability is just not there enough for me. For all the things that I'm continuing to hear from him, you're trying to be the assistant GM when at the end of the day, probably be a lot better if you talked about how you need to have an impact in these in these football games, right in the Packers game where you're not getting to the quarterback, you have to be a person that is making play your best guys. You two play the league and you understand and know the best players have to make the plays the playoff games. And if your best players aren't making the plays, it's gonna be hard to win games, period, hard to win games, and in the playoff loss is that the Cowboys have had, Like Parsis has not been that guy that you needed him to be.
Speaker 6: This is your issue, his issue for me, and I think he can do it. It's not just about sacks, Like it's not just about that those other players that you that you are naming, who well we have a name, but we talk about the make big time players. Is hey, man, if they not get to the quarterback, are they batting down balls, are they getting interceptions, tip balls?
Speaker 2: Are they doing any of that stuff?
Speaker 6: Like if you okay, all right, you don't have to get two three sacks every game, but the impact that you have on the game has to be consistent no matter what. All right, Yeah, it's quick throws. All right, I'm knocking five passes down. And you see other players around the league be able to do that. Most of them are natural defensive ends and they are used to that timing when somebody tries to throw a job based screen. But those are the things that you have to get better at when you're not able to get to the quarterbacks them.
Speaker 5: So when you saw you guys with you young, you saw where Laurence Taylor made impact everywhere you go. Look at special lawis Taylor was playing special team. Yeah, look, I mean punk fueld goal. I mean he was everywhere. When Danny you talk about that and people try to mention his name with Lawrence Taylor, you cannot do it because lt was everywhere.
Speaker 6: All right, question, guys, when do we start I mean, look, it's not a good look. Let me start with that. It's not a good look. You shouldn't do it. You do what you're saying, it puts it. Everybody's listening to you, going what is this young man saying?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: But when do you separate what he's saying from his actions through I'm talking about through the season, all right, We can go to the playoffs and say, man, he did not have his dynamic a game. But when do you separate the player? Because to me, it seems like what he's saying is diminishing what he's doing on the field. And how can that be when he's putting up numbers that's putting him in the same breadth as some of the great players that's played in this league.
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm like. We don't like what he said, but what about his play?
Speaker 6: All right? Dofives? Do offensive coordinator scheme to get those stretch runs away from Micah to get him running that way and then come behind it and put a screen come in. There are ways the scheme guys out of game. Am I right or wrong? I mean, I'm just saying this is this is a situation to me.
Speaker 2: In top five diminishing what you're doing.
Speaker 6: If you're saying a guy who gets nineteen sacks in a season two times you just said, but you just said, but you just said, it's not just the se He also has a pick six.
Speaker 2: He also has better than balls.
Speaker 6: But those those those other things that Micah does, We're not talking about the pressures. We're not talking about the other parts of his games that make him a special player.
Speaker 2: I will say this.
Speaker 6: He named all those fats, double team win ray, he went into depth on all those stats that let that that for the reasons why TJ.
Speaker 2: Watt are is not as good as him.
Speaker 6: So he mentioned that stuff and all I said, well, hey man, the man got nineteen sex.
Speaker 2: I don't care who what your name is. He don't have to be t J. Watt.
Speaker 6: Any player that comes into the league and has nineteen sex deserves the respect to say, Okay, he probably at least top five. It's not it's not taking away from what Micah does on the field. That's all we're talking about now is the game is over. The season's over. Now. When everybody talk about when you always talking about the Cowboys, and the Cowboys always in the news and y'all always want to mess with us.
Speaker 2: Are we talking about? So another issue? Hey man, you're a current player. Lead them current players along.
Speaker 6: You' the dude over here talking about former players all old and hating and stuff.
Speaker 2: And then we get this, Come.
Speaker 5: On, man, lining up the resume of TJ. Watt and Michael Parson. You line it up right now. It's TJ. Watt all day long, all day long, because of the resume and what you've done and winning defensive player. The I mean, it's there. And so when you want to start going down that list, start checking the boxes. TJ's got the boxes. And ultimately, I think we're all kind of just sitting here saying, hey, man, let your play and accomplishments. Do all this talking the accountability. You can't sit around here, point your finger the man over it is and don't who's done checked off boxes? You haven't checked off before. It's it's it's not a good look.
Speaker 6: And I'm not trying to say, say not even top five.
Speaker 5: It's making a hardware in his house.
Speaker 6: You don't have think about I think about Kevin Bayern or somebody saying that, or whoever was playing with a Reed and Palamlau at the time, being like, you get them, dude, they got all the picks, but it's because of whatever reason they ain't top five.
Speaker 10: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? It's not a good look, right.
Speaker 5: It's just good look and you just and so that's when you come back into the accountability. For anybody's thinking, Mike Zimmer is gonna hold these guys accountable.
Speaker 6: Really, I think so, you know, I'm hoping, So I'm hoping. So why why don't you think so? Why don't you think?
Speaker 2: I think we all understand why.
Speaker 7: It only is a certain number of players can do just that, which is, if a coach is coming at you say I understand where you're coming, but I'm gonna go up top.
Speaker 2: With it and see what the big dolphin. That's what I'm kind of like.
Speaker 5: If the owner a tripping.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing, like the coaches can say, you know, no, no, no, all they want to, you know, but there's a select few guys that can be like, all right, coach, I understand, but let me go have a conversation with with the big dump and see what he thinks about it.
Speaker 2: Good thing he on a one year deal, so it don't even matter. Go ahead and tell me that's that's the reality of it.
Speaker 5: That's it's gonna be interesting. I mean, if the current staff, who we all agrees are really good, if they couldn't, I don't know who is going to rain him in. And there by the way, there is a head coach.
Speaker 2: Right well, I do have to say this.
Speaker 6: I don't think his off the field stuff impacted what he did on the field this season, like like, I don't think I don't think that was the thing. So I don't think they really have to really meant for him to be able to play better. But I think what he's doing now may become an issue and.
Speaker 8: Celebrity talk about the locker round, like let's make that man, if you're player and you got your leader over there and say hey, I need somebody else, don't doing that job.
Speaker 2: I need somebody else doing this job.
Speaker 7: They talking about you, they're taking food out of you your pocket, saying that that's to be that that's wild.
Speaker 6: Last year wanted to get all in this year, did you watch the whole thing? Did you watch the entire interview?
Speaker 2: Which one Stephen A. Smith was just a lot of times? Which one? And that's what's bad.
Speaker 6: And that's what's bad when you're talking about your star player being in the media this way. That's why I'm talking about his words diminishing what he does as All Star break. Yeah, that's what I'm saying that that is exactly the trophy. That's exactly what I mean. It doesn't diminish what he's done on the football field. I think I think it's it's it's an issue of off the field, like you, like.
Speaker 2: I don't want to start them.
Speaker 6: You got to go back in the locker room, and then you gotta look at these dudes, right, and maybe maybe they got an understanding in there. But I know, if I'm some of those guys that are being talked about, I'm looking at you a little crazy. The question was asked about a particular interview, and he mentioned the interview and that's it. And you all know that the interview was crazy. What I know is you could have said less.
Speaker 2: You could have said so. But that's the thing though.
Speaker 6: If Church comes out and says something that I don't agree with, right, if somebody asked me about it, I have the right to be like, yeah, that's my boy. You know what I'm saying. I don't agree, but you know what I'm saying, that's my dog. And that's it. Like I got the right to be able to do that. I don't have to go on no five minutes rant about why I feel this way and what we don't have.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't have to do that. So as we get ready to break mentioned Ryan Holliday, who writes vout Stoics, Ryan Holiday says, we do not have to have an opinion about everything.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: Sometimes we can just not say anything at all.
Speaker 2: More.
Speaker 5: The players sagebati by Tostive deals with their Churchick Maharrison, Danny McRae, I knew he scutched Stallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 9: Ready, it's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 6: I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothe bowls into two new decking and flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Patayo bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie Bows now in two new decadent flavors, only as Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 12: There is no eye in Dallas. There is no eye in heart, either no eye in blue star or a nose star for that matter, And there's no eye in How about them Cowboys smeerenough Nos, there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks home are away. We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys Fans smearing up we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 1: Back to the players loude Register now for the twenty twenty three or twenty four Dallas Cowboy Youth Camp presented by Invisi Ligne.
Speaker 6: Athletes of all skill levels ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are talked by current Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Registered before May seventeen to save twenty five dollars, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash camps.
Speaker 2: That's nice, a good thank you, hackingy you checking me. You see that right.
Speaker 6: Now, somebody wrote there's twenty twenty four. They sent you up, bro, twenty twenty four. You've kept man. Start this summer that we see all in June. All right, go ahead, and get that twenty five dollars because we know he don't hit.
Speaker 2: The wrong but get him right. Man.
Speaker 5: Danny McCrae is uh the gentleman you'll see at the camps.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, make sure you handle that your business right. Heck Ma Harrison, Danny Mccrayberry, Church of the Restructs. This is the players that I was brought to you by Tostitos. All right, Michael didn't talk about this, so we'll just talk about this on a row. We've got a free, pending free agent and left tackle Tyed Smith.
Speaker 2: Sam. He does not want to retire.
Speaker 5: He does not want to retire, so.
Speaker 2: I got to brush that thing off.
Speaker 5: Free agency happens in March. The draft happens in April. The Cowboys brought him back, and it was you know, it was a contract where they kind of went game by game here. So Sam, what do you do you all the Dallas Cowboys knowing that Tyron Smith would like to inquiring, Yes, yes.
Speaker 6: Let me let me say this. Let me say this about Tyron Smith. Okay, no, no, no, let me say this about Tyron Smith. It is it has gotten, it has become a more difficult conversation to have now based off what they found out last year of all right, man, practice a little less, go through the week, and make sure you don't put as much stress on yourself and be ready for Sunday. And we saw for the most part when they did that, he was healthy. He was out there, and he was a dominant left tackle.
Speaker 2: All right. So if you can find a way to.
Speaker 6: Make sure that that continues throughout the off season, throughout training camp, and throughout the season, you say, Okay, this is the formula that we got Britt Brown and Jim Male wearing on them and Greg. If that's what they got and it works, you don't have no choice but to bring him back because he was still one of the top tackles in the league. He was when he was there. Our issue with him is this My issue is like, hey, man, is he going to be healthy. We've seen I think after that he missed one game. Yah, he missed one game after that after he started doing that stuff. So if that's the way he's gonna miss one game in a year, yes, bring him back because he is still a dominant player. I'm completely torn on this one, I really am, because I feel like Tyler Smith has shown you to this dude, this point that he is your air parent out at the left tackle, and sometimes we're holding on to to whatever the ghost of what he was, what he is through through injuries, through all of that. Look, let's just go forward. Tyler Smith is our left tackle, all right. We can find a guard. We can go into the draft. We can get us a guard. We recognize coming into this draft certain components that we needed. We needed to guard our tackle coming into this draft, maybe even a center.
Speaker 2: So let's go ahead and get that. And if Tyron.
Speaker 6: Smith can be we talked about swing tackle, a guy that can fill in and still be that, and he agrees to do that, then do it. But if it's time to move on, then I'm okay with that too. But I think how the Smith is your left hand. So so you go draft a guy or free agency, whatever, but you bring a guy in either through free agency or through the draft. I get a guard or a center or both.
Speaker 2: Gotcha?
Speaker 5: One of the two questions you have to have, one of the cost benefit of analysis. Is it a one year deal or is he looking for multiple years? So you have to figure that out right there. What is it the player wants and doesn't fit in for what you'd like to do.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 5: They spent money drafting off some Richard's Matt wilesco, Josh Ball from your talk to your offensive line code? Where are these guys at? You know that? That, to me is a pretty integral thing about because you've tried to do this, have you failed? Internally? I think that's another thing that goes in there. And yes, we can talk about trying to draft that position, but remember your other free agent here, your center. Yeah, how much money are you willing to invest in a center who made the Pro two years ago? He's going to come and want a nice deal. To me, that's another area you've got to look at. There could potentially be some nice centers in this draft, and what you're looking for ideally is a plug and play guy. The Ravens did this two years ago and they've got a player who who's Who's Who's been on the award list. So this is this is an interesting thing because you could potentially have two spots you have to fill your left tackle and your center, depending on how you want to spend your dollars. And if you do let Tyron go and you put Tyler Smith there, you know how do you address it and can you save some money as you're trying to re sign a ceed Because I don't think Ceedee Lamb is gonna play on a one year deal. This is just my b. I think he'll sit up here and hold on out. And if you might McCarthy, now you're sitting around here, Hey, hey, was my team looking like on a one year deal here? So this this financial thing gets gets really interesting here. And so that's that's the great part about the Cowboys. Would I bring Tyrone Smith back? Yes, on a one year deal, That's what I would do. But at the same time, as I looked at all this stuff, because to me, I'll at least get my left tackle here, I don't know if I'm bringing the center back, that's me. Would I bring the center back on a multi year deal versus going into the draft and getting because you have to at some point if you're trying to pay, if you're restructuring dock, you're paying CD Lane, you're looking forward to try to pay a Michael Parsons here. You got Diggy's here. I can't afford to put more money into the offensive line like that. I got some points, I got lets, some folks go. Some people ain't gonna be here because you simply cannot do it. You've got to go and get dudes in the drut.
Speaker 7: It was to me, Mashaw, what's the easier in y'all being the easier position to fill? Is it that tackle spot or is it one of those interior pieces like a center.
Speaker 2: Or a guard?
Speaker 7: Because we know, you know they're gonna bring Tying back in my p I mean we all understand. I think they're gonna bring him back on a one year deals, you know, whatever it is. But if he goes down, you can slide Tyler out there. But to the newest point, which one's easier to reply? Is it that guard or that center? Because we all sat up here and talked about Beyonni's. Yes, he didn't make the Pro Bowl, but there were times in there when I did interior pressure. It just didn't look like he had enough bricks in his pocket, Like he just didn't weigh enough out there. Now, I could be wrong, could be technique, whatever the case may be, But which one is easier to replace? You know that center, you got to have that glue piece, and then like you got Tyler Smith, who can be that two way player at tackle and guard. So I gotta go with newie owners when you're gonna have to bring in another center, whether it's free agency or draft, because we all understand Tyrant's coming back.
Speaker 6: That makes the decision more difficult if you're talking about replacing your center if you have because then you're replacing your center and your guard, and those two pieces together would be pretty much the middle of your offensive line. If you're gonna bring beyondish back, then I'm saying the thought process in my eyes is let's move Tyler smith because that's what I thought. That was what you were thinking the whole time, that he's your left tack How is awesome, Richards and Ball. I think the ship is sailed on Ball and maybe that hasn't Well, let's go guys like that. Whatever I'm saying, it's easier for me me in my eyes, to go into the draft and get get a guard.
Speaker 5: So let me just based on what you said prefaces this way, Let's say you take Tyler smithy move out to left tackle, and you draft a center who you believe is gonna be got more bricks in and can a guy that your your guards don't have to help you get a guy like that. You got, you got Hall of Famer Martin here on the right, and then you go fill in another you know, go figure out how you feel in that left guard spot. And if your center is strong enough, then maybe your left guard right right. I mean, you get You're not gonna get five All Stars, You're gonna get five Pro Bowls. There's gonna be a little bit of hey, we'll have to help this one guy there. But instead of having to dude, you gotta sit right here. I just think that what you did would be honest. You got we talked about all the time running backs, right, hey, man, draft them when they come on up, let them go. Why can't you do that with a center? I said, he he's a good center? Is he great? I call him? He's going to cost you money?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: What have you seen from the other guys who they did not play at center? William right now, Connor mac governluck, they're putting him in center play. I mean, so it's shown you you can go find another guy to play at that.
Speaker 6: Now now now, so we're gonna bring it back to the realization here of like Tyrann Smith ain't going nowhere. The man said, he wants to play. We know how this organization is to where he loves Tyron Smith, and he got to see Tyrann Smith be as healthy as he seen him in the last four or five years.
Speaker 2: So for me to.
Speaker 6: Say after all this like I'm excited to see him be able to be healthy and he is still one of the time, it's hard for you to go find a guy that that good. I don't think Tylers Smith is gonna see left tackle for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: If ever. First of all, I'm shocked. I don't know where is that? Who is that? Where are you? Who is this guy? What is going on? Because this is what? Have I not? Wait? Have I not? Always said? God? It was like the fan day the man told his part off the boat? Did it? And what? And what? And what?
Speaker 6: Card than them? Do they say no more fandam no more fandam? So my issue was health. This is the healthiest I've seen the guy since they say he ain't gonna practice. So if he's healthy, I'm good. If he not, he's not, But he was this is he was healthy and some man as soon as he go down, all down. He missed the whole season after he snapped out and no contact.
Speaker 2: I mean what were talking about? We need nothing break.
Speaker 6: Break not that break a franchise tag?
Speaker 5: Should anybody get the franchise tag? Will do it next? Players right here on death.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 11: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season. Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and MICAEH Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, holos, joggers, and more. The bowl unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 6: Hi. I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants.
Speaker 2: To ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 6: That's the sound of us magically transforming our SMOOTHI bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Jack Black and right.
Speaker 9: Now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy witball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left.
Speaker 5: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 13: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust with blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: I know I'm in good hands.
Speaker 13: Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world.
Speaker 10: To buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 13: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 10: What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: Back to the Players.
Speaker 6: Lounge Dallas Cowboy Game Time powered by no Well, the official gaming platform and community of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now and compete in Fortnite for a chance to win a VP experience at the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboy Draft Party. Qualifiers begin on February twenty fourth and run through the twenty eighth. Learn more and register at Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 5: Thank you, heck Ma Harrison player suneboty by Toastitos and players of Barry Church, Danny Krabnewy scrugs all right franchise tag. Last year they used it on Tony Pollard. Here before that, they use it on Dalton Schultz. Neither player was as good on the franchise tag as they were the previous year, so I'll start with you. Danny would go around the table. Who would you use the franchise tag on this year?
Speaker 6: I want to say that Dalton Shows got hurt, so but he probably still Tony Pollard and Dalton Shows a little different franchise.
Speaker 2: So who the options we got CD? Wait? Wait, wait?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Who do we have options for? Franchise?
Speaker 5: Erly, I wouldn't put it just I'll go first. I'm not putting on that franchise any.
Speaker 2: Who options though, so we got you can do Tony Poller again? Who else? I can't do that?
Speaker 6: I mean we knowing that now, I'm not franchising one of those. No, why wy you learned already with TP you learned that. Uh? And then how much is the center franchise?
Speaker 5: If you want to.
Speaker 6: Curse the cornerback, the cornerback tag would be high to And I'm not I'm not exercising that franchise tag this season.
Speaker 2: You don't, I mean, you don't have a reason to Tony Pollard.
Speaker 6: Tony Pollard got you last year because you were wondering how good he could be if he got more carries, because how explosive he was. And then he goes out with the injury, so that that is a different thing. I'm not franchise off with the tag on. I ain't tagging nobody, nobody who. No, I'm not definitely no, I'm not tagging anybody. And the thing is, if I use the tag, I use it as a placeholder to get a deal done.
Speaker 2: That's it, you know. But I'm not. I'm not tagging.
Speaker 6: I don't see a player that we have that we absolutely have to make this deal work for me. If I'm especially if I'm Tony Pollard, I'm trying to get in and negotiate early and often to get the best deal that I possibly can to stay on the Dallas Cowboys, because if he goes anywhere else, I don't think he's gonna.
Speaker 2: Get nowhere near.
Speaker 6: He's definitely won't get the same deal he got ten. They don't get ten again, so not anyone else. And I think, man, you gave me the willies when you said that about CD not playing on that one year deal.
Speaker 2: Because it's just I can that fifth year option.
Speaker 6: That would that would that would be so I mean no, I wouldn't say And if I use it again, if I use it on Tyler be Hottish, I would only use it as a placeholder for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm with y'all.
Speaker 7: There's nobody I would The closest person may be if they showed a little bit more in a rug game, maybe O'diggie Zua, But yeah, no, nobody even remotely.
Speaker 2: Close by the way, Tyron Smith, what's the tackle? Friends? Oh my god, wanted I'm just making sure that talk about.
Speaker 5: You already said. I'm not franchising anybody. You can go to work on these deals, but I just don't think if I'm the Cowboys, I would franchise anyone as much as hey figure out how do we More so, I'm looking at there might be some a name player got to cut. It should be a couple, okay, some folks the.
Speaker 7: Space got a lot of cats to be paid.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 5: All over here, we appreciate you had a hell of a run. We got a hell of a run. We gotta let you go. And that's I just believe that. I do think that will be the case this here. I mean, because at some point in time, some people that you paid money to that you like, you're gonna have to look at him and say, hey, thank you, bud. We can't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you still gotta I mean regardless of all that. And I think that I was going to ask you about the cap and how they've increased it. How much does that help this team, especially with the Dark Extension still looming, with all of this.
Speaker 5: Going on to France, trying to take everything else. Oh, it's going up.
Speaker 2: What we need that?
Speaker 5: I mean, look, Todd Francs, it's gonna cost you minimum minimum fifty two a year, that minimums.
Speaker 2: Fifty five sixty million dollars quarterback. Yeah, no, absolutely right, So so that's what that is.
Speaker 5: What's going to happen.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen. That's what it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: They put them in the situation. So you had that other ist, why make a play on one year deal? Okay, fine, So when you're paying him fifty nine million dollars and you have no wiggle room to go do other things and you sell it, you said you're all in, then tell me what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Now, we can't do that.
Speaker 5: The guy, the guy was second team All Pro last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we can't do that.
Speaker 6: We can't procrastinate again, we can't kick the can down the road and hope that something happens. We have to get him resigned. We have to because there's so much money that we need to move around. If we're gonna be all in and bring in these players that we say. We say we're trying to get.
Speaker 5: So Burrows what fifty five a year? I believe I don't know, George, he's about fifty five. So that's that's that's where you're going. And and Dak Prescott is in his agent may say, hey, look, we were second team All Pro, we finished second in the MVP. I don't care what anybody else says. This is what happened in the first year. Mike McCarthy, what could happen in year two? That's what if I'm the agent, that's what I'm gonna put out there, and you're Jerry Jones and just go back to what the way he operates. Yeah, the man is not going to let a quarterback go who has got who's put together that kind of season. And he's consistently said Dak is the guy that can take us where we want to go. We will go as far as Dak Prescott goes. So to me, I'm of the opinion it's going to get done. Listen to him, it's going to get done. Go fix some of your offensive line, go help your running game, to help the player at quarterback.
Speaker 2: Man, you need a linebacker. You need to stuff too, Yeah, you need a lot man.
Speaker 6: You know you got looking need you lie man, it got stuff you made no better than me. Is Jimmy about to be a consultant up here? Jimmy Johnson, So I saw it on the website today, he said, He up and Jerry a little bit.
Speaker 2: Is that what you got called upstairs for a couple of weeks ago?
Speaker 6: He can't say, You can't say on the Yeah, it was no I went upstairs.
Speaker 5: It was it was for me, for anybody else.
Speaker 6: Okay, it came back down giving our shirts and uh.
Speaker 2: Okay, thankful.
Speaker 5: I'm thankful. I'm thankful to Jerry for that. But that was about a thirty five fifty thousand dollars conversation that gave me.
Speaker 6: Go here we go scruggs old scrugrug.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but it wasn't on the consulting board. It wasn't.
Speaker 5: You know. We never talked about the team. It it was about me. But I would hope, I would hope that Jerry Jones is listening to what Jimmy and Troy Aman and Emmitt Smith are saying right about now and even Michael it's because it's it's it's problematic. You're losing, You're going you're starting to lose the fans. And I'll say this again, I said it to you before. I just came back from Surprise Arizona Pictures and Catchers Texas Rangers World champions First off, it's amazing when you see all the signage about winning the championship and the trophy all that, Man, how would just changes things? But there's drastic differences. Drastic differences. You'll see nobody in the Rangers clubhouse talking like Michael Parns. You not see that at all.
Speaker 2: O winning cures all that.
Speaker 5: Well, well you don't have to talk, you go do. It's a total that. There's total different atmospheres, man, and there's a act. I can tell you their style and substance the end of the day. Substance is what people care about. Styles come and go. Styles don't win titles. Substances you could beat. You can have a lot of talent, but are you talented and are you willing to go out and do your job? The one thing about that team Boach, he kept talking about different guys. He said, you know what, he did whatever we wanted him to do. He didn't bitch about it. He did it. I had to do this. This was and you started to ask those guys, well, why did you take on that role?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: I just want to win. I kept here it. I just want to win. I don't care what my role. I just want to help this team win. Yeah, and it's a whole different deal. And literally, if I were if I was consulting Jerry, I would say, tell some of your guys to go have coffee or go walk around the club back and see how those guys operate, because that is what you want to do. And I can say this because I'm old enough to know because I covered a Super Bowl team. Here, it's drastically different. Drastically different.
Speaker 2: Dude, do you have them to win another World Series this year? No?
Speaker 5: Okay, no pitchings. The starting pitching is an issue. But here's what you want. Get yourself to the playoffs and see where you go. And right now, you know where they're sitting at. They're going to probably have to make some more additions and they know that. But right now the pitch starting pitching is not there. But with the manager and the attitude they have. Heck, they should make the playoffs again. And in baseball, like all sports, right now, you get yourself in here, you get hot at the right time, you can make a run. I mean, we look at the Green Bay Packers. They got hot at the right time. They had a whole bunch of dudes on the same page about where to go, what to do. But you got a manager there in baseball, that's the thing matter. When you got a dude who can punch the right buttons and get people a due things. Hey man, not this barrier. This ain't necessarily what you do. But I need you to do that. And Barry says okay, and everybody else in the clubhouse look at you, Barry, you doing it. Yes, I'm doing it, and you go get it done. And nobody got to patch you on the back like, hey, Barry, thank you. No, this is what you this is what we expect you to do. Accountability, let's go Zimo.
Speaker 2: It could be that boy.
Speaker 6: Hopefully I feel about dan Quinn, but I feel I feel okay, I feel don't care about Ziom.
Speaker 5: All right, So back Monday, right, back man, Monday next month. It's Monday Monday, no holiday right Monday straight, Okay, Damie Craig, see you next week. Hey, here's see you next week.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, but man, I'll be here, pressure, you'll be check you sched.
Speaker 2: We're about to run about it.
Speaker 5: Let me know, let me know, let me know, new e structs. Thanks to join us right here on the players as jazz. We appreciate you and everybody right here. Dallas Cowboy's not coming ready.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.