Speaker 1: It's time now for another episode of Patch from the Past podcast, Matt Smith and polp Row joined by the newest member of the Patriots Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Mike Rabel and boy for two people.
Speaker 1: I know you'd think we're going to be byes U, but we were on the table, Mike pounding every single.
Speaker 2: Year, give rabel in, get rabel in. Finally year in. What was the experience like for you yesterday? Like, well, it was amazing it just to come up and the reception that we received, my family received, that I received from the first of all the fans that were here in the rain, and again I know that I wish that we could have had the fans, but we didn't. I think it was an intimate reception, just a lot of emotion. I don't think I've given myself a chance to just to go back and reflect on that, on the eight years here and the success and the teammates, and I think that was probably the coolest thing was to see them and see Dante and be able to you know, just catch up and you know, just see how excited everybody is for you.
Speaker 3: Can we go back to the start of that eight years and you know, sort of run us through your free agent visit here. We've heard a lot of stories about how it's not overly glamorous when.
Speaker 1: Line that they wind and Dinahim at the ground round.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you were. I was with Anthony Pleasant and so we probably got a little nicer experience. I think we actually went to the Capitol Grill in just nut Hill. Yeah, so because I think Bill had had history with with Anthony Pleasant, so he was probably like, well, let me take Anthony for for a nice meal. And but it was just you know, visit at the stadium in old Foxboro Stadium. And you know, again this isn't These aren't recruiting trips. These are trips to to make sure that you know, this is the player that we want to target, and the player can ask questions and get information and then make a decision. And so didn't have a whole lot of options, and this one was certainly, you know, you know, the best one for me.
Speaker 1: Do you you said yesterday during your speech that it was important for you to start. You know, in four years you did a lot, but you wanted to start. Did you get a sense maybe on that visit or early on Mike that these guys had a good idea.
Speaker 2: Of how to use you. Well. I can remember having a conversation with Bill and him saying, hey, really, all we need is what you did in that preseason game last year against Miami. And I'm thinking I don't even remember playing Miami in the preseason. But Bill had gone back and he had watched and there were clips that he must have seen that there was a vision for probably an extended playtime at that point in time in the preseason or whatever it was. And so then I started thinking, Okay, well, at least you know they have an idea of how they want to use me or what I maybe able to do there. Bill had talked about the opportunity, not guaranteeing anything, but saying that there would be a spot at you know, available pretty much at outside linebacker where you know, they would have some other players to compete with, and then see where things were.
Speaker 3: When you look at the way your years unfolded, it's almost like it was a perfect system for you. I mean, did you catch that right away, like they really want to use me exactly.
Speaker 2: To well, I don't think I wasn't being misused in Pittsburgh. I had just transitioned from a couple of different positions, you know, was rotating in and was getting some playing time three and four years in special teams and third down packages, whatever that may be. But this was a new opportunity, some carryover from Pittsburgh, some different and then as things progressed and it was you know, learn this position. Actually, I think I played two seasons inside linebacker or a season and a half at some point in time, and you'll find myself at different spots, do you.
Speaker 1: I've heard this from many ex players, guys who you played with and everything like that. Were you able to get away with more as far as like maybe busting.
Speaker 2: Bill's Paul, Well, I don't know. I think the time is is that overrated? No, I don't think it's overrated. I think that there is. Like I said yesterday, I think I said things that everybody wanted to say, and I probably was just dumb enough to say it. I sometimes say the quiet part out loud sometimes unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But it's all timing and sometimes you know it. You know, it's it's a it's a turn to punch bowl and doesn't always work, but sometimes it works out pretty good. But but that takes a little bit of time and it takes you know, again, you have to be willing to take it and if you want to give it. And I think that Bill always was very conscious of that, whether that's players to Bill or Bill to us. You know, he knew that, you know, we had to sit there and and take it when we got the low lights and you know, we'd be on the bellustrator and it would be like, you know, what we can't do? And so it just it was a good situation with a bunch of really good teammates that that all kind of rallied behind that.
Speaker 1: Do you think maybe, I mean, you were able to back it up with you play though, Mike, I don't know if if that's a fifty third or fifty fourth guy that was trying to crack wise, it might be different. Well, you you were a community eye on all three phases of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but I think that that's what makes a locker room. It's just different personalities. Again, you have to perform on the field and then whatever your personality is. I think that was there was no restrictions on Hey, we can just want a bunch of robots. That's I think that was the impression that everybody had and we certainly weren't that. Well.
Speaker 3: The best thing about Mike, and I told you this a million times, Mike didn't care who he was busting on. Professional I used to call you a professional ballbuster.
Speaker 2: That's what you were.
Speaker 3: I'd come in with like a TV shirt on one day and you go, look at this fraud. He's got TV and it didn't matter. He treated all of us the same, And I think that's probably permeated the locker and guarded respect in that way.
Speaker 2: Well, again, I think the fact that if you have a relationship with somebody, I think that's when you kind of go back and forth with them. It's like having a nickname. You don't have a nickname, you know, there's no such thing as a bad nickname. Just be appreciative that you have a nickname. That means that they know who you are and that you're kind of a part of the group. And if you don't have a nickname, you know, you better try to figure out why. And so it was, whether it was a relationship with the media, you know, it was a two way street. Assistant coaches and certainly teammates. Much has been made.
Speaker 1: You played in a different era, believe it or not, where and as during your career, the league was starting to legislate against defenses hard hitting and everything like that. When you look back at the Warner play Ties interception, I just thought it was very generous of Tie to give you credit yesterday to are you going to get flagged for that if that play happens today?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I think that what we've talked about is matching the hand, and they've they've they've changed here in the last year or two about what's forcible. Hell, I don't know, you know what I mean, I should have gotten there sooner, to be honest with. They didn't block me. It was just a lucky play and tied it all the work. And but whether it's you know, as long as it's not forcible. You know, we've talked about matching a hand and same thing that they teach here and you know everybody else is trying to teach. And didn't hit the football. I'm glad that I did it so that Ty was able to catch it and score.
Speaker 3: Can we ask you a little bit about tight end too, and just sort of how that transition, how did it come about?
Speaker 2: Who's Who's I. I think Drew put it best yesterday. I had a bunch of energy and it'd show up three hours before the game and go out on the field and Drew it would be out warming up and I would start running routes and he'd say, well, this is this is one, this is two, this is three, four or five. Run this, you know, different routes and I'd run him on the right. We'd flip around and run him on the left, and then I'd go inside and wait for the game. And he must have had a conversation. Charlie was outside and said, hey, this guy could probably do this, and we had it in. We used it finally in the Chargers game in San Diego. Scored, we lost the game, so it did not get much attention, and then kind of snowballed from there. Whether we had two tight ends active or three, sometimes that that third tight end was never very happy when we got down to the goal line. And you know, so those tight ends probably hated the fact that I would go in there at times.
Speaker 1: Drew never got a chance to do that on the field. Tom came in, Mike, was there a time that you can think of? We remember, like you guys. The defense carried that team in OH one, for sure, no doubt about it, no disgrace.
Speaker 2: But do you.
Speaker 1: Remember time you said, you know what, this kid might have something? Not obviously nobody saw where he was going to wind up, but do you remember a time where you said, you know what, this kid might have something.
Speaker 2: I don't know specifically. It's just hard for me to to think back, you know, the two minute drive in the Super Bowl, and I just it's just hard for me. I just remember, his leadership is competitiveness. That that's what I enjoyed at practice, in the building, his work ethic, you know, I would always see it me. I mean, this guy was you know, he was powerlifting in the weight room. It wasn't you know the pliability that we saw later on. I mean this this guy was in there working and trying to train and get stronger, and he knew that he needed to develop and he needed to be a stronger player. That's what I recognized. I said, then this guy's in here is squatting and power cleaning, and you know, he's training differently than I think most quarterbacks in the NFL would be.
Speaker 3: At that time, when you had that streak, that winning three out of four. I mean, obviously winning back to back hasn't been done since.
Speaker 2: You know, do you look back at that.
Speaker 3: And appreciate just how special it was and what does it mean to you to be part of those teams?
Speaker 2: Well? I think that I don't look back enough. I don't. But we expected to win, you know, I mean we did. We We we had a feeling about us that when we each week, it was like, Okay, what's the game plan going to be and how are we going to win? And we expected to win? And that is a you know, that's a powerful mindset to be in. Now, we didn't win every game, but you know, rarely did did we you know, were we out of a game? Or did we think that we weren't going to be able to compete in each game?
Speaker 3: Really quick, when you talk about we expected to win, I want to ask you about seven two and just that mindset. Did did you feel like maybe you lost some of the enjoyment because you guys were so good and expected to.
Speaker 2: Never lost the enjoyment. I just don't know if we continue to improve. And that was the thing that I'll try to explain and I always try to explain, is that the Giants improved, you know, they were a wild card team and they they gave us everything that that we had at the end of the season, and then they went on their playoff run, and we just we never improved. We were good, we were really good. I we just never improved, probably as the year went on.
Speaker 1: Last one here, as we'll wrap things up, you said you don't have time to really look back, and you don't because you're always on to the next practice, the next game.
Speaker 2: And everything like that.
Speaker 1: Do you get a sense and I think you'll get a little bit better since maybe at halftime today, do you get a sense how much this region has embraced you, like even though the fact you're coming here and kick their ass a couple of times, but they do. And I think even while you're with the opposition, they remember you for those eight years here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna probably realize that today, but I don't think I did. I haven't been back. I mean, honestly, I said that yesterday two thousand and nine. You get a call being traded to the Chiefs and have been back this I think maybe my fifth time. So just have not been back to this stadium to this just had a different after I left here, and I am excited just the people that I've already seen from yesterday and today, and uh, you know, it's just the people that are at work here that come up and have already said hello and congratulations, and so I'm very appreciate you guys, really appreciate it. Thank you for downloading this podcast.
Speaker 4: Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts