Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having us.
Speaker 2: By the way, while you're getting in come sit interviews, which I know is like kind of stressful time.
Speaker 1: I am actually like pretty fast with glam though, like I just don't like sitting. I'm so antsy, like I didn't like sitting in school.
Speaker 3: I'm Emily Chang and this is the circuit today. I'm doing something I never thought I would as a business journalist, heading to meet my next guest on a sound stage in a very special bathroom.
Speaker 2: All right, quiet on set, and what's up you guys.
Speaker 1: It's Haley, and welcome to another episode of Who's in My Bathroom.
Speaker 3: She's a trendsetter, magazine cover girl, and wife of one of the world's most famous pop stars.
Speaker 2: But Hailey Bieber.
Speaker 3: Wants you to know there's so much more. She recently launched her own beauty brand, wrote using a celeb to entrepreneur playbook that involves going direct to her audience on social media. I met Bieber on the set of her YouTube show Who's in My Bathroom, where she interviews other famous faces. I wanted to learn more about her content to commerce stress, plus how she handles the highs and lows of Internet stardom on the very platforms that helped her start her business. Here's my conversation with Haley road beeber Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, how's it going? How are you?
Speaker 2: What are the must haves in the uh who's in my bathroom glamor routine?
Speaker 1: The must haves in the glamor routine. I'm always so big on the skin prep, so it has to be really good, like hydrating, dewey, moisturizing skin prep, which obviously we use road to prep the skin always, and also hydrated lips because I feel like you're sitting in the makeup chair like I'm sure you can relate when you're like in your hair and make if you're sitting there for so long and I feel like your lips get dry.
Speaker 2: Do you ever count the hours that you've spent.
Speaker 1: I would be embarrassed too, to be honest.
Speaker 2: So do you get nervous when you're doing these interviews?
Speaker 1: Sometimes? Sometimes I think for me, it's not even like a nervousness. It's just more about like anticipation, anxiety, a little bit about wanting to make the person feel comfortable, especially if we don't know each other. It's usually easier if I know the person ahead of time because you know we've already met, we know a little bit about each other.
Speaker 2: Gwneth Paltrow on the show, like did she make you nervous or was that? Like? Did that feel like?
Speaker 1: She's so kind and so sweet that honestly she made me feel really really comfortable and made it easy for me.
Speaker 2: So what's your prep routine? Like one interviewer to another.
Speaker 1: I just don't like to overdo it because I like for it to flow very naturally. Most of the time. I read like the questions that they've come up with that to keep in mind, and then I never ask any of them. I just go off and ask kind of like my own things that come to mind as we're sitting there. But I think it's always good to know like what that person has been up to and their interests and where they're from and start with that. It's kind of like going on a date in what way, like you just ask the person about them and get to know them.
Speaker 2: I love it. The best interviewers, too, I feel, are good listeners, being able to follow our conversations totally, not just lead the conversation, which nobody wants to do. Right, So you're going direct to your audience with this, and you know, the internet's not always a nice place. It's been kind of hard on you sometimes on your marriage. How does it feel to own and be in control of your own attention.
Speaker 1: It's a more comfortable experience for me that way. I think it's really hard with the Internet as it is about you know, there's narratives that exist for anybody who's in the public eye, and there's narratives that exist for me that really hurt my feelings and make me really upset. But I think that I have had a lot more comfort in being able to create my own content that I have control over that feels good for me.
Speaker 2: How are you evolving how you use social media.
Speaker 1: I have a great relationship with my channel with youtuo because I've found for YouTube to be a really embracing, positive place. I have a love hate relationship with TikTok because I found for it to be a very nasty, negative place, but it is also a place where I really like sharing content because I really like the beauty community that's attached to TikTok, and I've felt very embraced by that beauty community and other beauty creators and fellow lovers of skincare and makeup and beauty. So that's why that's my love side of TikTok, and my hate side of it is a little bit like it's such a negative place and when people are talking about negativity on TikTok and when they're talking about you, you have a face and a voice to the things that are being said, so it feels a lot more of like a personal attack on you when you see someone vocalizing it. So that's been really hard for me, and I try to stay away from that side of it as much as I can. And Instagram has always been for me just like somewhere where I like sharing my life and family photos of my dogs and you know, I get to, you know, control that content as well as much as possible, and it's always been such a great tool. So I think the overarching thing for me with all social media is just it's a love hate relationship, and I think there needs to be boundaries with it, as with anything in life.
Speaker 2: Well, you've done so many of these get ready with me is we've seen so much of you behind the scenes, and like, how have you gotten comfortable with letting people see you so vulnerable? And you're you're like, kind of these are they?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Iron bathrobe?
Speaker 1: Like, Well, I've gotten more comfortable because I think it's allowed people to get to know me more. And I do think it has helped people to see more sides of me without making assumptions. I think people make really vast quick assumptions, and I think when they get to see me in these different settings, they can at least just digest it and be like, oh, okay, like that seems like that's how she is and this is what she does and that's her job. And I would just rather let people in in a way that's comfortable for me.
Speaker 2: And do you feel like a push on social media to be more and more authentic.
Speaker 1: I feel like a push to just do what I'm comfortable with. In the beginning, it was a little bit uncomfortable for me to put myself out there a little bit more or let people in in these ways. I've always seen the like positive response to it, where I've had people come up to me and said, hey, I really appreciated that you talked about this, or I really liked that you did this, or when you talked about you know, your health struggles, like it really like spoke to me because I went through something like that. So if it will help create more connection with people, then I love.
Speaker 2: That we got to be on the set of Who's in My Bathroom, which is so cool connect the dots for us, like, how does Who's in My Bathroom connect to Road, connect to the growing of this brand and what you want to see out of it.
Speaker 1: So I think from the beginning, the content portion of everything was really important. And at the same time that I was developing the concept of ROAD, I had this concept at the same time of starting a YouTube channel, and I felt that YouTube was the right space for me because I feel like from what I've noticed that the audience that connects with someone through YouTube it's more sincere in my opinion, and I felt like it was an opportunity for me to just show people what I'm into, what I'm passionate about, what I'm about, And I had this idea of doing this kind of like sit down, hang in a really obscure place like the bathroom. And the concept really did come from like when you're having a night out and you're like in the bathroom with your drink and like fixing your makeup and you're like chatting with your girls, like, oh my god, like my ex is here, Like you just like have these like conversations in the bathroom, and I feel like that's where like women really connect a lot of the time. And then also on top of that, I always tell people that, like we can go to the met gala, like the most crazy part of it is like happening in the bathroom. And you always see those pictures of people from the met gala bathroom, and it's because it's true, like everybody's kind of like congregated in there and talking and chatting and there's pictures happening. So all of those things that I've experienced in real life was how I came up with the concept of who's in my bathroom? And I wanted us to be able to have like real conversations, be able to talk about our passions and our businesses and things that we love and get silly and drink tequila and like get a little tipsy and just like make mac and cheese and eat food and I and I genuinely wanted to bring people on that like our friends, our new friends are you know, people who I admire, And it just kind of really turned into this thing of like this connection point in community, and it's been so so so much fun and such a good journey, and all while doing that. On the other side of things, we were weaving in conversations early early, early on about skincare, about beauty, about you know, we were like using road on camera before people even knew road. This road. It didn't to the public, it didn't exist, but we were feeding it in the whole entire time so that it would just be this kind of natural evolution. And it has continued to be this natural evolution. There's nothing better than being able to kind of really have ownership over your own platform and it be this this machine that's kind of funneling all things in one space.
Speaker 2: Well you are multi platform in a multimedia world.
Speaker 1: And it continues and it's been really fun. You know, we're doing what's in my kitchen, which is just kind of like recipes and cooking, and like I really really loved to cook, and I've definitely been getting more and more into my little recipes and stuff. It's really just because I like sharing things with people. I don't like to gatekeep things. I want to share the things that I find to be delicious with the world. I want to share things that I find to be great skincare hacks with the world, so you know, that's really what we're doing.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you sharing corse learning new.
Speaker 1: Tips every day.
Speaker 2: That's one I was like, oh, I've never seen.
Speaker 1: That, and then I saw that on TikTok, where I'm just like, That's what I mean about this community of life. There's so much to learn, there's so much to connect over, and I think that's what makes it really fun.
Speaker 2: Before you started a company, what was your impression of Silicon Valley and what it takes to be a founder?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I didn't really know. I don't really feel like you know what it takes and what it's like and how it is until you're actually in the process. I felt like I went into it very honest about what I didn't know, and I feel like I'm still honest about what I don't know. And that's why there are so many people that are experts in their fields around all of this. So I kind of just always went into it asking a million and one questions. But I feel like I'm I'm a fast learner and I really love to absorb information, so that was kind of my biggest thing from the beginning is just asking all the questions and really trying to absorb the information and then also just living through it and kind of learning as I go.
Speaker 2: Elon Musk has said starting a company is like staring into the abyss and eating glass. Hm, how did it feel for you?
Speaker 1: I think anything that you take a leap of faith with is scary, and I think that you never really know how it's gonna be received until it's out there in the world, and that's a huge risk to take. But I felt really confident in in our brand and like what the idea was behind it, and because it's my baby and I'm just like in it every single day and i am so passionate about it and I'm so involved with it. My hand is so involved in everything that I trust for it to be out in the world. And maybe that makes me sound like a little bit of a control break, but that's because with this I am, like, I really am just passionate about being involved in every aspect of it because I really want people to know and to feel like it's me and it's a representation of me, and I also just want the products to be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So no, eating glass moments.
Speaker 1: That's like a very like broad thing, you know, eating glass. I mean, it's definitely yeah. I get there's there's pains to it. There's a lot of growing pains, there's a lot of learning pains, and we're still learning every single day. So I get the eating glass thing for sure.
Speaker 2: What kind of market research did you do? Like, did you try everything from Walgreens to Chanelle? And where did you see something missing?
Speaker 1: That's exactly where I started. Actually it was during the pandemic. And I am someone who, like I'll say, is a skincare and beauty junkie. I kind of always have been since I was a little kid. I remember always loving going in my mom's bathroom and trying all her stuff and her creams and her makeup and everything. And then also my mom's mom, my grandma, she always loved like creams, skincare. She had this crazy obsession with it my whole life. So I felt like I was always trying their stuff, and they were always showing me and telling me about things that they really like. That always kind of stuck with me. And when the pandemic hit, I was like, alright, this is the time that I really wanna nail down my idea and nail down what it is I wanna do. And I started with exactly what you're talking about, which was trying everything that was on the market. I was like online shopping every single day, like I'm gonna try all the best sellers at Sephora. I'm gonna try all the best sellers from this place, like I'm gonna just get everything. And I would literally get deliveries of like hordes of skincare and beauty stuff, and I was just trying everything, what works, what doesn't, what's popular, what's not, And that kind of really helped me hone down, which was already my philosophy that like less is more. I found that the more simple that I kept it, the easier it was to maintain that routine, and the better it was for my skin. So that was really how I got there.
Speaker 2: Initially there was a super long waiting list. Was scarcity part of the plan or part of the strategy? People want what they can't have?
Speaker 1: Or no? I I almost wish that it it was, cause then maybe that would be a better explanation for why we did as much demand planning as we could for what we were projecting. Was going to be the feedback and the popularity, but it just completely far exceeded everyone's planning and expectations, which is such an amazing thing. But I wanted everybody to get their hands on it as soon as they could. But it's just when you're up against supply chain issues, and there's so many brands have been struggling with supply chain for especially since you know, COVID happened. But you know, I think now we finally are in a place where we really know the metrics and we understand what the numbers are, and it just takes time to gather all of that information. So I am very grateful that people have been patient and like stuck it out and waited. My goal with the brand is always to do the best that we can and get it to people as fast as we can. You know, people from all over the world have been asking for it and asking for it, and I'm like, if I could snap my fingers tomorrow and get it everywhere at one time, I totally would. It's just it takes time and planning.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about the growth plan, because you are expanding globally, what's the ambition there? Where do you want to be what about new products.
Speaker 1: I want to be everywhere possible. Like I said before, it just takes strategy and planning, and you know, I wanted to go into different territories in different places and to be able to have the inventory we need to do that and to have the plans in place to be able to do that. So with Canada, that was what we felt like was the next best territory to enter into. Uh, not only because it is right here right you know, basically the neighbor to the US, but also because my husband's Canadian. So I really felt like Canada needed to go next. And then our plan is to then go into the UK and we're kind of just taking it one place at a time and seeing what naturally is the next place and naturally is the next step.
Speaker 2: You've said that people approached you to do a skincare line without giving you any real control, like why not take the easy route, not eating glass routes.
Speaker 1: I care so much about my vision for the brand, and I think what's been so nice for me and the most fun part is that I'm able to really bring my vision to life without so many people giving me so many different inputs and telling me, well, we think it should be this way. I have such an amazing team who really wants to help execute my vision. And I think sometimes when you go work with an incubator, work with a brand that's already established, it's like they just want you to do what their vision is, and I just don't find that to be very innovative, at least not for me.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of folks who think celebrities don't get into the details of their brands, Like, what are you doing here on a day to day basis? Sounds like you're pretty deep in the details.
Speaker 1: I'm very, very deep in the details. I'm the creative director of the brand. So all of the packaging, all of the concepts for the photo shoots, the concepts for our mailers, for the color ways, to the everything that you could imagine that has to do with the creative direction of the entire brand is like, that's my job here. And also the formulation is my Also the other thing that I'm the most involved in, so testing the products, talking about what I want to be the next product, you know, figuring out our timeline and the pipeline for what we want to come and when we want it to come and kind of going back and forth about new iterations. When we were developing, like for example, our barrier restore cream, we had seventeen different versions of it because I was like, mm, I think this needs to be a little bit different, and then the viscosity of it, and then this thing, and then this thing, and then it like at the end, we got there after like the seventeenth try. And that stuff takes a long time because it's like you gotta test it, send it back, like tell the lab. The lab has to tweak it, they have to read like it takes time to get it right. The two biggest things actually are the aesthetic and what it makes you feel, and then the actual product itself that you're using. I wanted it to be so so so effective and like really feel luxurious and great and really work and be great for the skin. So it's like those two pillars in the brand are the two pillars that I am like the most involved in. And then all the decisions that are being made I involve myself in because, like I said, like maybe that's because I'm a little bit of a control freak with it, and I just I really just want to know and learn and be in the loop of everything, because it's just this brand is like so important.
Speaker 2: To me, So are you and justin like digging into spreadsheets late at night.
Speaker 1: Him not so much, but maybe me a little bit more. He Yeah, he's definitely. Also. I run things back him all the time and he gives his input and I appreciate that for sure.
Speaker 2: I know you're funding the most of this with your own money.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you planning to take on new investment or raise new funding.
Speaker 1: I think if the time comes where that makes sense and it's necessary, then I will and I would, But for right now it has not been the case and it hasn't been needed. We're just trying to take it slow. I mean, my goal is to retain as much of the company as I possibly can as we expand and as we grow, And that was my goal from the beginning, and that's why I put the most money in, cause I really cared about the ownership aspect. And that's another reason why when you have incubators come along, if people don't want to give you the ownership that I think that I wanted, do you feel like you're taking a risk? I do. Yeah. I think anybody who decides to put their own money and their time into something and put their belief behind it and really put their like passion into it. I mean, there's no guarantees in any of this. M people could have got their hands on the product and been like, hey, it's just not for me and I really don't like it and it not turned out to be what it is now, and that would have been a hard pill to swallow. But you know, that would have just meant that it wasn't meant to be. But I think that this is something for me that feels really like my thing. This feels like very very meant to be for me, and it's the thing I'm the most passionate about in my career at this time.
Speaker 2: Who are your beauty business role models? Who are the people that you admire.
Speaker 1: I think there's a l uh a lot of people that have gone and done this before me. I think I have a lot of people in my life and friends of mine that have even developed their own brands and businesses that I'm just like so impressed by. And I think what's nice about that is there's people to be able to run things by and have those conversations with and to be honest. I admire any woman who takes the leap of faith to launch their own business, any single person that has done this, especially women. I feel like there's just so much respect and admiration. I feel very embraced by like the beauty industry. I feel very embraced by other founders in the beauty industry, and I think that that community has been so important for me and continues to be important for me in this space.
Speaker 2: How are you thinking about an EG exit strategy? Like long term, do you want to go public? Do you want to sell a big steake like Kylie Jenner?
Speaker 1: I think right now, I'm not even necessarily thinking about it, because I mean, of course, like I have my goals for the brand. I have goals that we want to reach right now and focus on, like what's our next Petside Live treatment coming out? And like where are we launching next? Yeah, Like, I just think it's not even really like at the forefront of my mind. It's kind of like looming in the background of like, yes, eventually, I think that's probably the goal, but I just don't even know what that looks like yet.
Speaker 2: Internet's always talking. There's people think you might be expanding into clothes is that for real.
Speaker 1: I love clothes, I love my style, I love fashion. I don't think that that is something that is at like the front right now for me. But I did do this collaboration with Wardrobe NYC. That's Christine Centenaria's brand, and she's an amazing, very very talented stylist and she's the editor of Vogue Australia. We did this collaboration together and I did find that it did kind of awaken that passion in me once again. And I think it's not off the table. I think that would just be a separate venture than this.
Speaker 2: What about mood board, your trademarked mood I.
Speaker 1: Did trademark board. I did trademark that for clothes because I just kind of I like the idea that this this word mood board, Like I'm such a big person that likes to mood board things. I mood board my hair and makeup inspiration, and I mood board inspiration for the road campaign shoots. I mood board inspiration for my fashion. So I kind of just liked this idea of like calling something mood board, and yeah, I just I wanted to nail that down and have it on the back burner. It may never come to life. It may be for something else. Who knows, but I just kind of wanted to. I had had that name in my mind for a long time.
Speaker 2: So we'll stay tuned.
Speaker 1: May stay tuned. Perhaps mood Board will come to see the light of day. Okay, I mean you know this.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of celebrity beauty brands out there. Some people think it's almost a cliche.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going to make your stand out? I hope what's making my standout is kind of our approach of one of everything good, Like we really aren't focused on oversaturation overwhelming people. I think one of my biggest things that I noticed with being a consumer of skincare and beauty was like if I went on a website and it felt like I don't even know what to choose at this point, Like what's right for me? What's not? Should I just try everything? Should I not? Like I don't like the feeling of being overwhelmed, because it makes me just want to give up. I want people's experience to be that they go on the website, they come to our page, whatever it is. However, they've come across us and found our products that they feel like this is simple to the point, and it's effective, and it looks nice in your bathroom. It's you know, it's appealing, like you get your hands on it and you feel like you're a part of something. So I feel like our approach is just always going to be that one of everything good and really not trying to overwhelm the consumer and just these curated, edited essentials, And that's why our drops are always very much one at a time type of thing. And I think there's probably some people that you know, maybe would like for it to be faster, more, to come quicker, but I think that it's always worth it to wait and to get the product perfect and to let people's attention be focused on one thing at a time. I can't focus on too many things at once because it's just too overwhelming for me. So I want to make the experience not overwhelming for a customer.
Speaker 2: There have been a number of celebrity beauty ban brands or brands that bet on celebrities that haven't worked out. Yeah, and I wonder if you, you know, just being connected to a famous face, it seems isn't enough. And that's like this is from the point of view of consumers. Yeah, do you worry at all that you miss the wave? The wave of celebrity beauty brands when the economy was going well and people felt like they had a lot of disposable income to try new things.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like that's the case. I do feel like people had a fatigue of celebrity beauty brands. That is a tongue twister. I felt like when I announced the brand, of course, there was people that were like, Oh, here we go, here's another one, and I'm like, I get that, I understand. I'm also coming from the point of view where I'm like, trust me, I know, but this is my approach and it is different to other people. That's going to speak to people and they're going to want to be a part of that or they're not. And to the people that don't want to be part of that, that's okay too. I understand both sides. But you know, I really wanted the brand to just stand on its own and speak for itself. And my goal from the beginning was that this brand, if you took me out of it, would stand on its own regardless of me. And I know that a lot of people know that it's my brand, and it is my brand, but my hope would be that as we continue to expand and we grow, that like maybe someone doesn't know that it's my brand and they get their hands on it and they're like, I just love this product, I love this cream, I love this lip treatment, and you could kind of just not have to want it or like it or buy it because it's associated to me, but just because the products are speaking for themselves. And I do feel like I see that happening.
Speaker 2: I'm so curious what you bring to this from your modeling career, because you worked as a model for the Legacy fashion houses. What did you learn about what it takes to build a brand that.
Speaker 1: Last I've learned so much about like creativity from that side of things. My favorite thing to shoot in the modeling side of things has always been these really creative, interesting editorials, like these stories that were like bringing to life. And I feel like that was the biggest thing that I brought over was this kind of like editorial approach to the imagery and an editorial approach to the packaging and the bottles, Like I wanted to take the world of that and mix it with skincare and kind of like open people up to this world of like chic cool, minimal great imagery that kind of stands out and feels different to other brands.
Speaker 2: So your fashion and makeup tips can either spark like the next big trend or you get some serious backlash. And I'm curious if you're ever surprised how the world reacts.
Speaker 1: I think that that's the Internet, and I think that's unfortunately the world we live in today. I think that the Internet is a beautiful place to build community, and that's why I spoke before about the beauty community, Like I felt very embraced by that, and I love the way that people come together in that community. But I also have experienced a very negative side. I think that it obviously makes me sad because I feel very misunderstood and I feel like there sometimes there's nothing you can do to try to get people to understand you and know you. But I think that the bad side and the negative side of the Internet doesn't outweigh the good side and the positive side. And I'm about bringing people together and spreading positivity and spreading love, and like that's what I'm just going to continue to focus on, regardless of the negative side.
Speaker 2: The brownie glazed liptip for example, that got back. How do you respond to that?
Speaker 1: I think for me, you know, it would never be my intention to make anyone feel disrespected or to feel like I appropriated anyone or anything. And I do acknowledge and I do understand that it's very important to you know, point people in the direction of where something comes from and to highlight that and to show where the credit comes from. And I really understood where everyone was coming from for that.
Speaker 2: How does it feel to be someone that so many people have opinions about, whether fair or not right m M.
Speaker 1: I think it can be hard sometimes, but I also think that you can't expect to exist in this place and not have that, So I think sometimes it's just a harsh reality check for me. And yes, I also think it boils down to, you know, having to learn how to navigate it and be able to shut all that stuff out. And for me, it's like the internet is not real life to me, Like my real life with the people that I love is my real life. And sometimes it's hard to just stay there and stay focused on that when things online can feel loud and disruptive. So that's kind of just the journey that I'm on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I've seen you leaning into it a little more or almost accepting it a little more. Like I heard you talk about this with Gwyneth Paltrow on your show, the Nepotism thing. You stepped out in a NEPO baby T shirt. Yeah, explain that.
Speaker 1: The NEPO baby T shirt was just meant to be my little comment on the whole discourse that had been going around. And you know, my point to having worn the T shirt was not to poke fun at it or you know, kind of be like, yeah, I'm a NEPO baby and ha haa type of a thing. Was more so to be like, this is what everyone is saying, and I want you to know that this is my way of responding to it, in my way of acknowledging it in a way that is so overly literal that it's like, I'm just gonna call myself a NEPO baby because I am one, and I embrace that I am. But I thought what was funny about that is like, to me, the way the Internet is is like nothing's ever enough. So it's like I do that and it's like half of people find it funny and they get the humor behind it, and they got it, and then half the people are like, well, you're not even really a nepo baby like that much. And I'm like, so you're gonna sit there and call me anppole baby all day long, But then I acknowledge it, and then I'm not enough of a nepo baby. So it's like, there is never any like winning with the Internet. And that's what I've always time and time again realized. So that was just meant to be like a fun response to everything that was being said.
Speaker 2: I got it. I will say that thank you. I'm probably too old to understand why this is an issue, but here we go. There's some ongoing drama between you and other celebrity and eyebrows and you reach out to her saying you've been getting death threats? How do you tune out that kind of noise?
Speaker 1: What I will say is, I don't think that this is about me Hayley Bieber and Selena Gomez. This is not about this pitting between two women and division between two women. It's about the vile, disgusting hatred that can come from completely made up and twisted and perpetuated narratives that can be really dangerous, and I think that it's an opportunity to really stand for bringing people together and not being okay with the kind of division that it costs. Because I'm not okay with the kind of division that it caused. I don't like this whole idea of team this person and team this person. I'm just not about that. I want to be able to bring people together. And I think that that was a really important moment for people to see that you can do that, and you can bring people together and it doesn't have to be about this divisive nature.
Speaker 2: It's such a frustrating old narrative, like two women being pitted against each other over on me because of a guy.
Speaker 1: It's awful. I hate it. I've hated it since the beginning, and I think that kind of goes back to a little bit of just being misunderstood when it's like time and time again, I don't know why I keep having to say and we keep having to say that there is no issue and there is no problem, like mm, it's so disappointing that people still behave this way because of them, like over a man. It's yep, it's the world we live in.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the backlash can be so swift and fierce and relentless. And now you've got this business, right, Like, how do you think about that? And how you know when public opinions weighs MM, what does it mean for the brand? What does it mean for the business?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely my head goes there because, like I've said so many times, like this is my br this brand is so important to me, And of course I don't want silly, made up drama to affect m what I'm focused in working on MM. And I think at the end of the day, you kind of just have to keep it pushing and just keep moving forward. It doesn't mean that the work falls to the side because of noise and because things are being said, because there's always gonna be noise, and there's always gonna be things that are said, and if it's not that, it's gonna be something else. So it's kind of about just knowing just how to navigate it as it comes, because it wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time, and just staying focused on what's important.
Speaker 2: Have you evolved how you use your own social media at all since you've become a founder? Do you feel like the stakes are higher in a way.
Speaker 1: It's not about the stakes being higher, but I think, you know, the conversation is different. You know, we're talking about different things. I'm promoting my own brand. I think sometimes the content is a little bit different. Maybe it's more beauty focused now, which is really actually fun for me and exciting for me because it's the thing that I like, love m talking about and and showing and doing the most. But I think that also just over the last couple of years, I think that you learn what you're comfortable with sharing and what you're not. And you know, maybe I'm not wanting to show my life twenty four seven, or I probably have reeled it in a bit more than I maybe would've been the past, just because of privacy. But other than that, I kind of am just like I post what I like, and I share what I enjoy, and I share what I like and from makeup tips to outfits to different things, like I just share what I like with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I mean I feel like good social media is about authenticity, right, Like, how do you think about that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I think sometimes it's hard to be as authentic as possible through a screen. But That's why I keep saying I just share what I like, and I share what I think is fun and cool and exciting.
Speaker 2: What's the biggest lesson you've learned from starting a business.
Speaker 1: The biggest lesson I've learned is that there's going to be mishaps and mistakes. And the problem for me is that I'm a perfectionist. So when issues come up or problems arise, or there's hiccups, I'm like, like, how do we stop it and fix it? And it's like, it actually is just part of the learning process so that you can grow and evolve into the best brand possible and become a better brand through the learning. And sometimes the learning is really hard, especially if you're like a perfectionist people pleaser. So I think that's the biggest thing I've had to learn is like, just take them as they come and take it as a lesson on how to do better moving forward.
Speaker 2: People please, sir. I feel like I hear a lot of women say that a lot. Do you feel like that's one of your flaws or just part of your character.
Speaker 1: I think it's something that I struggle with. Yeah, for sure, I don't necessarily think it's a flaw I think it's something that it's like it comes from the the The base of where I think that comes from is I just care so much. I care so deeply about people. I care about my f like I'm a people please pleaser with my friends, with like e with every aspect of my life. It's just like it's because I really just.
Speaker 2: Care with everything that you're doing, and there's so much more than road. The YouTube shows the you know, the fashion and makeup tips, the you know, content to commerce cycle that we're seeing. Are we seeing you try to separate the Haley from the Beaver and the Baldwin at all?
Speaker 1: I think that it's hard to say that you can separate it because it's like, this is my life. That is the family I come from, and that is my husband. There is no denying that, and I don't wanna try to run away from that. I'd like to just embrace that and then say this is where I come from and this is who I'm married to, but this is who I am. So I think there's a space that within all of that for people to understand take any last name out of it, like who exactly is Haley? And I think my journey with the YouTube channel and you know, the who's in my bathroom in those different things and kind of the vlog style videos I put out is really just to for people to be able to connect to who Haley is without the last names, without the headlines, without the gossip, without all that other stuff, and just form their own connection to me personally as much as that's possible through right social media.
Speaker 2: So ten years from now, what do you want people to be talking about?
Speaker 1: It's a good question. I know what. I don't want that to talk about anymore. I definitely see like kids in the picture and you know, kind of just on that maybe journey of motherhood and into this like different space of life. Obviously, I hope Road is, you know, doing its thing, and you know, maybe we'll have evolved into some other really you know, baby categories, whatever it may be. I think I always want Road to be a reflection of my life and where I'm mad and what's going on with me in that time. So I feel like if I see that being motherhood in a different space than I feel like the brand in some ways will definitely reflect that as well.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the Circuit.
Speaker 2: I'm Emily Chang.
Speaker 3: You can follow me on Twitter and Instagram at Emily Chang TV. You can watch full episodes of the Circuit at Bloomberg dot com and check out our other Bloomberg podcasts on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartMedia app, or wherever you listen to shows and let us know what you think by leaving us a review. I'm your host and executive producer. Our senior producer is Lauren Ellis. Our associate producer is Lizzie Phillip. Our editor is Sebastian Escobar. Thanks so much for listening.