Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with politics. Kamala Harris and Donald Trump are looking to shore up key voter blocks. With election day just twenty two days away. The Vice president and her running mate Tim Walls will crisscross the so called Blue Wall states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin this week. Over the weekend, Harris met with black elected faith and community leaders in North Carolina. At a rally in Greenville, she called out former President Trump for not releasing his medical records.
Speaker 4: One must question.
Speaker 1: One must question, are they afraid that people will see that he is too weak and unstable?
Speaker 3: Vice President Harris released her medical records on Saturday. Her physician said she maintains a healthy, active lifestyle. Trump told CBS in August he would very gladly release his records. So far, he has not well.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Nathan Trump is splitting time between battleground states and Democratic is strongholds like California, Illinois, and New York. This week, he'll participate in a Fox Newstown hall in front of an all female audience with a focus on women's issues. Trump's running mate JD. Van says Vice President Harris is too radical on abortion rights.
Speaker 5: While she hides behind the popular slogan of Roe versus Wade Kamala, Harris's actual abortion views, I think are much more radical than even a lot I think, frankly, most of our proch choice citizens.
Speaker 2: Jadie Vance appeared on ABC's This Week or Sundays on Bloomberg Radio. In that same conversation, he refused to say whether Trump lost the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 3: And tomorrow, Karen, We're going to hear from the former president right here on Bloomberg. Our editor in chief John Mickelthwaite will interview Trump in the new Nower Wall Street Time at the Economic Club of Chicago. Tune in tomorrow to catch that conversation live on Bloomberg Radio and television.
Speaker 2: And another political note from the weekend, Nathan A man was arrested for gun possession outside Trump's rally in Coachelle, California, on Saturday. The Secret Service says Trump was not in any danger and the incident did not impact protective services. The agency says the investigation is ongoing well.
Speaker 3: Karen President Biden was on the road this weekend as well, visiting Florida for the second time in two weeks surveying the damage from Hurricane Milton. The President announced more than six hundred million dollars in recovery aid for areas stricken by Milton and Hurricane Helene, and he discussed the progress being made before boarding Air Force One's.
Speaker 6: Pretty happy with that wire's going.
Speaker 3: We're not leaving or next and new were I'm not sure we get the money.
Speaker 7: In there for small persation.
Speaker 3: The President Biden says he has received bipartisan support for his administration's efforts in addressing the crisis.
Speaker 2: Well, we turn overseas now. Nathan and four Israeli soldiers were killed last night at a military air base, and dozens more were injured in a drone attack that was launched by Hesbilah. It's one of the deadly strikes against Israeli forces as the country stepped up at tax On Lebanon. Speaking to a translator, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Ntinya, who is now urging UN peacekeepers and HESBLA held territory to leave.
Speaker 8: I'd like to appeal directly to the UN Section General it's a time for you to remove uniform from Hesbola's strongholds. The IDF has repeatedly asked for this and has been met with repeated refusals, all aimed providing a human shield to Hesbela terrorists, and the.
Speaker 2: UN has so far refused Prime Minister and At Nyahuo's requests, which could come ahead of a ground invasion of northern Lebanon Bay. Ruth says that more than two thousand people have been killed and hundreds of thousands displaced as fighting ramps up in the region.
Speaker 3: Also happening overseas. This weekend, Karen China's highly watched investor briefing. Officials promised more aid for the country's slumping property sector and indebted local governments, but they didn't give headline spending figures. Union Bank Care Purvey economist Carlos Casanova says it was not the fiscal market market moment that markets were looking for.
Speaker 2: Is that they are just tackling some of the structural issues. They are not really looking to massively inject, so it does not constitute that. Whatever it takes a moment.
Speaker 3: Carlos Casanovo with Union Bank Care Purvey says further market fluctuations should be expected. Still, Goldman Sachs upgraded its forecast for China's economic growth this year and next.
Speaker 2: Well, we want to turn to company news now, Nathan, a successful operation for Elon Musk's space X and Bloomberg's John Tucker is here with the details. And John, they executed a pretty complicated landing procedure. What's going on?
Speaker 9: It was quite a sight. One of the boosters on the Starnship rocket care and successfully flew back to the launch site. It was caught by giant metal arms with the company calls chopsticks.
Speaker 2: Super Heavy st.
Speaker 9: Launch, the largest and most powerful launch system ever developed, lifted off Sunday morning. After propelling Starship to space. The super Heavy booster returned to the launch site on the Earth, where it reignited the its engines to slow itself down as it came in for the landing. This allows the rocket to be reused in future missions. The launch taking place from SpaceX's star based facility in Bokachka, Texas. Recovering Starship's booster after launch was a crucial milestone as SpaceX ready is the rocket for commercial operations. The vehicles the centerpiece of Musk's ambitions of sending people to the moon and Mars. I'm John Tucker Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: And the catch was wild, John.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Much different story this morning for Boeing, the Planemaker is cutting ten percent of its workforce, That is about seventeen thousand people. Boeing's new CEO, Kelly Ortberg's hinting more dramatic action might be needed to get the company back on track. It is on track for its worst annual performance since the two thousand and eight financial crisis.
Speaker 2: Well, it's where Nathan. The bond market is closed today for the holiday, but equity markets are open, and this week traders will be watching parade of earnings that kick off tomorrow. Bloomberg's Charlie Pillett has a preview.
Speaker 6: We'll be hearing from Citigroup, Goldman, Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and Bank of America, among many others, with a focus on the outlook. Kevin Gordon is senior investment strategist at Charles Schwab.
Speaker 4: The important part for earnings, maybe not just this quarter, but as we start to turn the quarter into twenty twenty five, is what does guidance actually look like? Because you look at estimates for the overall s and P five hundred for next year for next calendar year. They're pretty lofty, they're pretty elevated.
Speaker 6: Also this week we hear from other financials including American Express, US Bancorp, Charles Schwab and Blackstone, along with CSX, Johnson and Johnson and Netflix. In New York Charlie Pellett Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 7: All right, thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 3: And finally, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is hosting executives and politicians from around the world at the UK's Global Investment Summit at London's Guildhall. It is the first big test for the new Prime Minister's plans to reignite investment in the UK. Bloomberg's head of Economics and Government, Stephanie Flanders, is going to interview Keir Starmer this morning. You can catch that conversation live at nine thirty am Wall Street Time right here on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: It's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 10: Michael, good morning, Good morning, Karen, and IV Fluid Shortage has worsened when Hurricane Helene flooded one of the country's largest suppliers. Because of the shortage, some hospitals have been delaying non urgent surgeries and substituting oral electrolyte fluid to patients. Doctor Chris Derenzio of the American Hospital Association make a mistake. The impact of the shortage reaches nearly every hospital in the country. In late September, Hurricane Helene's floodwaters engulfed a Baxter International plant in North Carolina. The plant produces more than sixty percent of the country's IV solution. Doctor Selene Gowander, editor at large for public health for KAFF Health News, says that another supplier is helping to ramp up production to help fill in the gaps.
Speaker 1: B Broun Medical, which is the second largest manufacturer of IVY fluids, is stepping up its production at a facility in Daytona Beach, Florida. Fortunately, this plant was not severely affected by Hurricane Milton. B Braun is expected to resume manufacturing and shipping soon, providing some much needed relief.
Speaker 10: Doctor Gallander spoke to CBS an urgent man hunt underway in Michigan police and an elderly man was murdered inside his home outside of Detroit, with authorities believing the suspects proposing as utility workers. One arrest has been made. Police are still searching for one of the two men they say posed as utility workers to gain entry to a Rochester Hills home, where they allegedly killed seventy two year old Hussain Murray, then tied up his wife with a duct tape. Oakland County Share of Michael Bouchard.
Speaker 3: We believe that they were specifically targeted, that it wasn't a random thing knocking on random doors.
Speaker 10: Sheriff Bouchard says. The scene with so gruesome. Investigators say it's still not clear how Murray was killed. It's Columbus Day. The day officially celebrates Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas. In New York City, the annual Columbus Date Parade returns to Fifth Avenue to also honor its Italian cultural roots. Meanwhile, many Native Americans across the US will come together for Indigenous People's Day to celebrate their history and culture and acknowledge the ongoing challenges they face. With a focus on the election. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael Barrn. This is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Michael barr thank you. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, brought to you by Tri State Audi. And here's John stash Hour, John, Good morning morning.
Speaker 11: Here the one hundredth postseason game in Met's history and in Los Angeles.
Speaker 10: It did not go well.
Speaker 11: Only three hits, lost Game one of the NLCS, nine to nothing. That's three straight shutouts to the Dodgers, third team to ever do that in the postseason, thirty three consecutive scoreless innings, a period where they've outscored the Pandres and now the Mets twenty three to nothing. Mets made the surprising decision to start the NLDS with Coda Icenga. He'd only pitched five innings all season. They did it again.
Speaker 10: It didn't go well.
Speaker 11: So you gave up two runs in the first inning another in the second when Carlos Mendoza stuck with him.
Speaker 12: Is this some of the treacky decisions here, you know, where you pull him too early, where you know I felt like he was one, especially after he got that pop up. You know, with the bases loaded, he was one one hitter away from getting out of that inning. Months he got him with a single, and then he went back out there and gave up another one.
Speaker 11: Mendoza starts Sean Minaya. Today's game two Dodgers to go with a bullpen. Game starts at four o'clock, four hours before the Yankees and Guardians begin the alcs at the stadium, Carlos redon versus Alex Kyle. While the Mets were losing, so were the Johns. Bengals got a forty three yard touchdown run from Joe Burrow three and a half minutes in. There was not another TV scored until the Giants tied the game thirty five minutes later. In fifty four minutes after the Borough run a thirty yard TD scampered by Cincinnati's Chase Brown. The Bengals won seventeen to seven. The Giants hurt in the fourth quarter by two missed field goals and got stopped on a fourth down. Same stadium Tonight, Jets and Buffalo first game for Jeff Olbrich, the Jets new head coach. The Patriots fifth Boston a Row Houston won in Foxborough forty one to twenty one. The Commanders and Ravens were both ronning win streaks. Baltimore won thirty to twenty three. No bloone ley this time Liberty led all the way one Game two of the WNBA Finals eighty to sixty six over the Linked series tied at one. John stashe were. Bloomberg Sports carry eth.
Speaker 7: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager. It is no holiday for the presidential race. Twenty two days until the election day, and the contest between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump appears tighter than ever. Former President maybe trying not to jinx it here, he was at a rally in Prescott, Arizona last night.
Speaker 12: I think the polls are wrong about a lot of things, although I don't want to say that now because we're leading, so let's leave them.
Speaker 3: I Meanwhile, the Vice president is ribbing Trump for not releasing his medical records after she put out hers, and she's calling out Republicans for misinformation around the hurricane response. Let's get more on the state of the race.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We are joined by Bloomberg News Managing editor Derek Wallbank. Derek, good morning. There is a powerful tool on the Bloomberg terminal. It can give you a snapshot of the presidential race WSL election Go on the terminal. It shows Kamala Harris ahead by about a point, maybe two points in the polling averages, but in the betting markets, Trump is starting to show a pretty significant lead. What does that tell us about where things stand with just about three weeks.
Speaker 13: To go, Nathan, You're right, there has been a divergence, and a lot of what it is diverging on is some state based polls. I think the betting markets have been far more responsive to the idea of state based polls that maybe your biggest polling aggregators might not go for so much because there may be from more Republican sources. And so there has wound up being a little bit of a divergence there. But I mean, look, you can see a lot of this sort of thing take its place throughout a lot of different trades, right you know, the Mexican peso is a great example of this. You know, Donald Trump's own listed company is a great example of this. There are any number of ways that people are right now betting the election right the way around the world, and that is, you know, if you're telling a lot of traders right now that the best way to figure out their chances of who's going to win is to take a quarter out of your pocket and flip it up and see where it lands. People don't like that. They want a little bit more certainty. But look, Nathan, this is a coin flip election, is it not?
Speaker 3: Seems to be at this point. I mean, how much is the level of concern on the Kamala Harris side about how things are breaking for her, particularly when we're hearing from former President Obama on the stump sort of calling out black men in particular for showing some reticence around her. And we just got an announcement from the Harris campaign this morning of a new program she's proposing aimed specifically at black entrepreneurs.
Speaker 13: Well, I think you know, Saturday Night Live parodied this and their Kamala Harris character was basically saying, how am I tied with this guy? And I do think that there is some some view among you know, maybe Democrats right now who are sitting there saying, like you know, there have been a lot of stories that come out, a lot of things that have come out about Donald Trump and reinforced about him. They don't paint him in the most attract active light some of the things that you've said in recent weeks. And there is a certain concern that Harris has gotten up to parody with Trump. It has not been able to take that and put it into a defined lead. Yes, there might be a slight lead in the national poll averages, but U, I and everyone else knows that's not how the United States elects a president. It is the electoral college. You are looking at these seven key swing states and there has not really been a big sort of gap. This is part of why Harris and her vice presidential pick Tim Walls are going to be spending so very much time this week in this sort of blue wall Midwestern Russ Belt states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. At the end of it, I fully expect Kamala Harris will know what her favorite Detroit coney dog is because you will have been to Michigan so very very much. And look, when you're talking about individual segments of the electorate. Right at some point, when it's this close, every little bit counts. And so if you're talking about a segment of the electorate like black men who overwhelmingly vote for Democrats, but maybe are not polling as voting as much for Harris as they might have for Obama or Biden or insert other people here, then yeah, if you sit there and you say sixty five percent support, we focus on that, We get it up to seventy percent support. That becomes real numbers, especially in places like Detroit, especially in places like Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces, and don't forget.
Speaker 2: To subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news, whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow and I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak.