Speaker 1: Every day Breakfast Club. You don't feels for y'all done?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the world most dangerous morning to show the Breakfast Club Charlamage the God DJ NV just hilarious, justin and beyond here today. But Lauren Lerosa is and we got a special guest in the building. She had a new album came out in August called This One Is Personal? Personal t Y Savage, good morning.
Speaker 1: How you feeling.
Speaker 3: I'm good. I feel blessed.
Speaker 4: Every time I run into you in New York. You just always look amazing. Really, yes, I love literally, You're one of my favorite people to just run into because it just be so effortless every.
Speaker 1: Why are you in the same places as Lauren? Why are you in the same places as I?
Speaker 4: Like, she's in all these great places because she's this huge superstar.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what You're right, Let me change my perspective.
Speaker 4: I was able to say something to you, but not in front of company. Some things you.
Speaker 3: Need to check you're going to be best behavior.
Speaker 2: Yes, the name of this album, This One is personal. When I'm looking into the album, the first thing I think is who is the main inspired this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was, it was. It was hard. It was, But honestly, I think I feel like it's like a combination of different scenarios. I think that there's different things that I've gone through that I really haven't I hadn't dealt with and I was just moving and just going on to different things. So it's just the last one was just really like it was really bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was really.
Speaker 3: I don't want to give him too much credit because I'm doing way better than him, so I don't want to kick him while he's down.
Speaker 1: So what there's specific moments are events that you drew on while making this album.
Speaker 3: Every single thing was something. It wasn't like, you know, like when you're writing or you're in the studio and you're kind of fabricating stuff. No, everything was like exactly what I went through, every single emotion, every single line, everything was like, yeah, it was deep. So and that was really important for me for this project because doing Aphrobe a lot of times is about feel good, right. I decided to take a leap of faith and just really put out my heart, which we don't really get in in aphrob.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because you know, when I'm here now, it does sound like it's more traditional R and B. Yeah, right, So you think it's I don't want to say impossible, but it's hard to deliver these kind of messages with afrobeats.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. But for me it was hard for me because I'm from I fell in love with R and B. That's like, that was what really got me into doing music. Like you know, I saw Brandy and that's how I was like, yeah, I started shedding Brandy and listened to Brandy. So for me, that's my comfort zone. So when I want to listen to something to evoke some kind of emotion, I go back to my R and B playlist. So I had to go back to that for me. I mean, other people can can do it with aphrobe but it wasn't it's not typically what I would do. Yes, So I went back to my first love.
Speaker 4: I could feel the Brandy in it. But even too, I think the sound and softness of your voice on some of the songs, which I don't probably do a purpose. It's just your voice, but it is very Brandy reminiscent.
Speaker 3: Like nah, she's like my mentor man, like she's like yeah. The reason why I even really really got into music was, yeah, just studying her, like studying her harmonies, her vocal air and everything was just yeah, man.
Speaker 4: Do you guys have a personal relationship too, We're just like aspirational mentor.
Speaker 3: Well we have a song together. So we've done a song together called Somebody's Son, And yeah, definitely obviously worked with her, did the video and we're still you know, in DMS and things were still Yeah, yeah, she's she's incredible. You know they always say, don't meet your idol es. Yeah, no, it was, yeah, she was. It was completely different. I was so in awe of her, Like recording it in the studio, I couldn't even stay.
Speaker 4: I had to leave the studio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I couldn't stay. Like wow, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was it was like did that fuck with your performance? Was that message your performance?
Speaker 3: Like do you feel like oh, I'd already recorded my part. So when I was just sitting there just listening to her in the studio, like I was just like wow, I remembered when I was just like thirteen fourteen. I had to just step out to be like, yoh God, are you really doing this for me? Is this really happening here? It was like a blessing of.
Speaker 2: How did you decide which stories you were ready to share on this album and which ones you want to keep private.
Speaker 3: I didn't keep anything I did. I just I put everything out like. I was just like, yeah, I need to and a lot of people doubted. A lot of you know, people were like, m it's a bit too personal. People are not really going to relate. It's a bit too musical because I had like on ten percent, for instance, I had like live instruments. I went to Nashville and those are live horns, live guitars, live drum, live bass. I even had like, instead of some songs, I didn't put like a second verse, I put like a musical break. And people are like, no, in the world of TikTok, no one's really gonna no, one's really going to mess with this type of music. So it was just like, yeah, no, this is I studied music, so I need to I need to go back to my root. And I wasn't worried about streams or anything like. Seriously, I really.
Speaker 2: Wasn't such an interesting song because you say that your phone was in the studio from some guys somebody signed.
Speaker 3: No, no, seriously no, it was in the middle of the session. Yes, And I went to get some yes, and I'm not like literally like I just got out of that situation and I was like, I'm going to be outside. I don't care like I want to just you know, just be wild. And yeah, I got I got a message and it was just like come over and I was like, then I got a picture and I was like, oh, oh my god, did you why that's something?
Speaker 4: It was a picture, not a video though, that was a picture.
Speaker 1: You know, we called it, we call it being digmatized.
Speaker 4: Wa.
Speaker 2: You're in the middle of a studio session. You work towards your goals and your dreams.
Speaker 3: And just ca yeah, because you know, it's like you know, like when you're going to the gym, you're learning to work out so you can you free your mind.
Speaker 4: Okay, your phone was on ten percent though, did it die in the car?
Speaker 3: You just know I was fast, That's what I was. I was. I was getting fast. I was I was telling my driver like, you need to hurry out because you know, when I get to his place, I want to be able to call him and be like I'm downstairs.
Speaker 1: You didn't have to drive if they had a charger.
Speaker 3: No, no, I was my car, but was my driver charge in your No, I didn't.
Speaker 4: You were about the wrong thing. She was in the back spring on the little sprit spray get look right like she was getting you ready, already ready.
Speaker 1: It was hold on that you got your mind cleared and you went back to the studio.
Speaker 3: I didn't go back that day. Iay, I know, I was like I was in the rush. He wasn't trying to kick me.
Speaker 4: You spend the night, what day?
Speaker 3: Forget a bit now.
Speaker 2: I just want to know creatively, what came to you after you.
Speaker 4: Addicted?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And it said it took you two years to make this album, Yeah it did. Why because what were some of the biggest challenges.
Speaker 3: I would stop and start. Initially, I would like a lot of people trying to convince me to go more afro beat. So I would be in the studio and I'll record a lot, and then I'll listen to it and I'll start and I'll say, no, I want to really do this type of project that's R and B leaning, and I have to do it in my full chest. I can't just dabble like I've been doing for years. So it took me two years to just and also like mentally to be ready emotionally to get through that, to be able to sing sing, sing, And I think when you're when you want to do like R and B records, you have to singing. You can't just I can kind of get away with it sometimes enough for me, but vocally I had to get my chops up, so it took me a while. Do you get a pushback from some fans because like, you know, I know you dibble, dabble into R and B, but now this project is very much R and B.
Speaker 4: It doesn't sound like afrobeats? Are they? How do they feel about that? You're fans?
Speaker 3: My real fans really know that this is what I wanted to do. Anybody else I don't care. I'm not seeking their opinion. Yeah, so I don't. But to be honest, I've gotten so much love, yes, from even people that weren't my fans, people who didn't even really listen to your savage for instance, to be like yo, and a lot of them don't even know I'm like jan so they're like yeah, but they think I'm just like, you know, an American singing like and they're like, who's this new whatever? And I'm like, yo, she's African. Wow. Like, so it's opening me up to like a whole new audience.
Speaker 4: I was talking about how crazy it is. When I was seeing you around for fashion week. There were a lot of people that I was with who didn't know who you were. But because you were so gorgeous and like, you know, you're performing and you're walking in the shows, They're like, who is this girl?
Speaker 3: I don't know her?
Speaker 4: But coming over here to the US, there probably are a lot of people, even though you've been back and forth, you know, that are discovering you. Now, what is that like for you because you've been here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know a lot of artists find it hard because they're so big in their territory or whatever. They find it hard to like, I don't know if it's an ego thing, but they find it hard to like go somewhere where maybe nobody knows who they are. Yeah, Like, and I love that. I actually think that it's an opportunity for me to reintroduce myself again and like learn from maybe stuff that I've done and where people actually know me and they know things about me that yeah, I'm trying to like shy away from. So for me, this is my introduction again to like a new market. I love it. I love going to like you said, places and they don't know, they don't know who I am, and I'm just introducing myself. I'm starting all over again, but this time I'm starting better because I've learned. Now there's certain things that I may not do or I may do it.
Speaker 2: But when people look you up, you know, they say, oh, she's the Queen of AfroB that's that's an expectation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And I know that.
Speaker 1: You always reject the title quick, why is it?
Speaker 3: I don't reject it, but I feel like i've you know, when I've embraced it in the past, they feel like I've done it and I've excluded other women or I've felt like I'm the only one. And so now I try to explain that, Yeah, I do embrace it. I love it. I'm not shying away from it. But there are other other women that you know should get that or should get that. I get that spotlight.
Speaker 1: You think people put African artists in a box.
Speaker 3: All the time. I think even with award shows, like you go to award shows and then there's a whole continent in one category, like an aprob B category and then you're like, I'm not doing what Berner's doing. I'm not doing what Tyler's doing or whatever. It's just a whole different like it's a continent, like we speak different languages. So it's like, for me, it was really important for me to also do this for them not to put me in a box because I can't like R and B is you know my background, and I can do it authentically well, and I want that to be able to inspire other people where you know, they want to do a hip hop art album and you know what I mean, do it well if you're going to do it. But yeah, just because you're from a certain place doesn't mean you should only do that type of music.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be interesting to see how musical award shows recognize this album, right, because yeah, because it should be in the R and B Cady right in the know and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's nerve wrecking for me too. Actually, But again, I think I've just blocked my mind to like I'm not doing it forwards, I'm not doing it forever. I'm doing it for like my core fans, Like that's that's the only way I can Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do it. I would have snuck in more aphrobeat records, more aphrobeat features and collapse, and it would defeat the purpose, Like I wouldn't I wouldn't be doing it with my full test. Yeah, so I need to I needed to get away from that.
Speaker 4: What's the background of your like, like, where does your love for R and B come from? Because looking you up, I saw that you wrote for Monica prior to you do back you sung back up from Mary J.
Speaker 3: Blanche.
Speaker 4: You put vocals on one of Winnie Houston's Houston's last albums. How did you fall? Like you don't you know not even how did you fall? You don't fall into that type of stuff, So what was the journey getting to that point of those things?
Speaker 3: It was It's like a snowball effect. So I was in London. I started I went for backup, like the auditions for like backup singing. I got it. I was like excited, like yo, I'm getting paid to do this, Like this is crazy. And then from there I'm watching TV I see I want to be down Brandy and I'm just obsessed by it. So I just really started studying studying her, and then you just get into like this rabbit hole where you're now discovering Monica and SWV and Mary J. Blige and it's just going and going, and then I'm just getting good at it, like and then I'm getting gigs from just doing backup vocals from doing backup vocals. My dad. My dad is like, you can't do music unless you study for music African parents, And I'm like right. So my first degree was an account So I did accounts, gave him the degree. I said, I want to go into music. He said, no, you have to study music. I'm like that, Michael Jackson did not go to school with music, Like that's not what we do, and he forced me to go. In an audition for Berkeley and Boston. I got a full scholarship. Studied jazz, and then I studied songwriting and then like, yeah, I just studied building my resume from there. Wow, that's pretty insane.
Speaker 1: On the song I'm Done, you say you don't want to love again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you feel that way for real?
Speaker 3: I really, I really do.
Speaker 1: What Yeah, gotta be careful what you say to the universe.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, I know, I know, And I just that place was dark, you know, it was really for me to I, Ah, I'm scared that someone's gonna come or the right person's gonna come, and I'm just gonna project my trauma on them. Yeah, that's because I'm going to give everything. I'm really honestly going to give everything. And can I really do that again? And just unless God opens up the heavens and says, this is my child, this is who you're supposed to be with. I can't. I can't see myself opening up like that again.
Speaker 1: But if God is, if you know that you have unhealed.
Speaker 3: Trumple, yeah, I would say about seventy percent eight I am. I'm still doing it every day. I still yeah, I still do it.
Speaker 1: So you don't want to meet somebody until you are a more healed version.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, I need to be completely like got you? Yeah, completely, one hundred percent whole.
Speaker 1: Because right now you're just toxic.
Speaker 3: No I'm not.
Speaker 4: No way, are you hurt still?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I think nah that that situation, all those situations is done. No, I'm just I'm just a bit. I'm just wary man, because I can't I don't believe words. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't believe Yeah, I don't believe. I don't believe words. I'm just I'm hard now, Like, yeah, you have to you have to really come hard.
Speaker 2: You said this albums therapeutic for you. It was, so have you ever actually gone to there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, And I still do.
Speaker 3: Like before it used to be regular, like a couple of times a week, but now it's like as of when I need it, Like if I feel like, okay, I need to just talk to someone about something, yeah, then I still do. And I think we don't talk about it a lot in my culture. Yeah, yeah, it's a stigma.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's just black people all across the.
Speaker 3: World here as well.
Speaker 1: I think it's changed.
Speaker 3: I feel like more you guys are more open to it.
Speaker 1: It's changed over the last several years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. So, yeah, you're not. And Niger's like, what, no, just go to church, I believe right here.
Speaker 4: I think it depends on the age of the person you're talking to. Certain age of like it's like older I know, like my family, older black women in my family will tell you just go to church, but they mean you need to speak to someone, yes, yeah, and all the things. But we younger will say you should probably do therapy or talk to a friend or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but a lot of people use chat for therapy. Yeah, a lot of people say to me, you're wasting your money, just put it into the chat. I'm like, what crazy?
Speaker 2: When did you realize that you just didn't want to love again? Though, because I feel like that's a temporary thing.
Speaker 3: Because one, yeah, I love my son, Yes, absolutely right, I love my team, I love you know, my friends. I've been married before. I'm like, yeah, I'm not I'm not young. I'm forty five. Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 2: But you love other things like penis.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I come attached to I've gone.
Speaker 3: Like maybe like three years without. I know, it's not something like I really like I'm crazy.
Speaker 4: About Yeah, three hundred and sixty five days time time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done that.
Speaker 1: So you don't need so so you have to be in love to take it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I don't have to be with someone for me to even think about it. Like I don't have toys, like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I need to. Maybe that's what for my Christmas present. Maybe people should get me some toys right now.
Speaker 1: Now, you have a whole bunch of roles just for Christmas.
Speaker 2: You're wondering why why all these boxes Buzzing't they're gonna be checking them for bombs?
Speaker 1: That go ahead.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say you you recently got your fans going. You're trying to figure out who you were talking about. You did an interview, You did an interview. You talk about the secret romance, and you know this the celebrity you were dating, and it had to be on the low and they would do parties at the house and you would stay away from the people when the parties would be going on. Now people want to know who to because people think you're talking about whiz Kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, and you know, my shout out to Wiskit. I love risk It, I respect Whisky is not about as skined I said the person was a public figure, but I didn't he's not. He's not artist.
Speaker 4: Oh so just like someone of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah someone yeah, so yeah. Man. I woke up and I saw that and I was just like, oh my god, it's not Whisky. Yes not man, he's probably watching it, Like, what the how did I get jacked into this?
Speaker 1: Shiit?
Speaker 3: Like, no, it's not No, it's not one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Were you wanting to like, because I mean, keeping it private is a personal decision probably about both of you guys. But initially I was about to say, but it gives. That's how he.
Speaker 3: Got me like, oh, you know, I cherished this so much and I want this to be you know, I want us to build a foundation, and and I'm like, oh, yeah, you know, this is amazing. And then before and then people are like, yow, how can you let someone treat you like that? Like and it's like it didn't just go from zero to a hundred, Like the way men work with your psyche is like they chip a little bit and then before you know it, you're like, yo, how did I even get here? And yeah, so it's like first it's like he doesn't want people to know. Then the thing is like he'll change my name on his phone, so if I'm calling him, people don't know it's me or whatever. Then then it's like when we go out, we go in separate place cars and we leave separately. And then it's like, when we go out you might see me with someone, it's because I don't want people to know. And then it's and then it just progressively just gets worse to the point where I'm somewhere you're literally working the room, and you're telling me it's because you don't want people to know.
Speaker 4: And when you say work in the room, you mean dealing with other women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: What did that do to you? Just mentally, because now I'm kind of understanding the word that you don't want to love again comes from. There's a lot to impact and that's just one situation with one person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the time, I didn't think it was that bad. I didn't see how bad it was. Like my friends are telling me you're crazy, like this is They're like, this guy's plea and I'm like, no, look, I understand. We haven't understanding. I know what he's doing, Like he doesn't really like her, he's not You're just you're doing this for me. And now now I'm talking about everyth you guys, I'm like, I'm embarrassed even like how did I yo? Because I used to be that type of person to look at girls, I break guy's cars and I'm like, yo, I can never get to that point where the guy will get me to And then now that girl is like accepting bullshit, Like it's so it's so embarrassing for me to know that I allow that to happen.
Speaker 2: I want you to know it comes off in the music because I think a lot of times when you try to balance, you know, these themes of love and heartbreak and faith, like sometimes you can feel performative rather than authentic.
Speaker 1: But when I'm listening to it, I'm driving, like who heard her? Like somebody did a number? How did you navigate that?
Speaker 2: How did you navigate like balancing those themes to make it feel authentic rather than performance.
Speaker 3: I had the right people that I was working with, the right writers. Yeah, I had. And it wasn't a lot. It wasn't like a camp where it's just like we're trying to make hits.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I was very vulnerable with these people. Like for the first I would say, even week we didn't make music, we were just hanging out in this house in Malibu and I was just hearing their story and they were hearing my story. So you know, it was more like we bonded before we even started like recording, and yeah, I was really really open and I said, listen, this is like I'm due an album, I'm due a project, but I can't until I get this out, I can't do anything else. And there was a lot of times I was crying, especially the first record. Yeah, that took me like four attempts to record. Yeah, yeah that was. That was really Even now when I listened to the album, I skip that. Yeah, I can't listen to it. I haven't been able to perform it. Yeah, it's been, Yeah it was. It was tough.
Speaker 2: So that's I was going to ask. The one song on the album the hardest to write record is clearly I'm done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm done done. Well yeah, But then I end the record with Change with James funt Laury, where it's basically just saying that I want to change back to who God created me to be. So it's not changing for a man, it's changing for changing for God. Going back to a factory setting, like you.
Speaker 1: Know interesting, Yeah, I don't know if you go back to factory setting.
Speaker 2: No, I think that you have these No, I think you have these experiences and they they actually turn you into a better version.
Speaker 3: But don't you rebooth? You know, when something's like when something and you switch it off, like your phone, you canletely switch it off and then switch it back on because it's just tweaking. I think I was like I needed to switch off.
Speaker 1: But what did you learn? Though? Like they always say, you know, it's not a loss if you learn something from the.
Speaker 3: Learned what I learned when it's red, When it's a red flag, it is a red flag. It's not off red, it's not pink, it's not light red. It's what it is. And I'm learning to accept. So yeah, yeah, I'm just that's that's the main thing, and just valuing myself and knowing that really, yeah, I I wasn't the problem and I don't have to change for somebody, and I'm enough. You know all the you know, cliche type of things, but they're cliches because that's what it's. That's the truth. So but mainly, if someone shows you who they are, like really, just accept it from the first girl, like save yourself the heartbreak.
Speaker 2: Faith is another topic you examine, right, So, how has your spirituality changed? I've grown after making this album.
Speaker 3: I've always been a very like you know, I'm Christian. I believe in Jesus, so I've always that. I think it's just me going back, like I said, going back to not just like I do this thing where I just pray in the morning like quickly, like thank you Jesus for the day, and then that's it. But now I'm spending time yeah yeah, spending time with him and knowing that it's important for me to take out time in the day and be disciplined like that to me has been like life changing.
Speaker 1: So how to pray no more? Come about?
Speaker 3: Ooh? So pray no More is like what if I was to be in a relationship again. That's the song, Like I'm saying, like you could pray about your career, pray to God about money, pray to God about anything, but when it comes to me and my love and my loyalty, you don't need to pray no more. You got you got me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know that if you do grow to love somebody again, this is the real real.
Speaker 3: Yeah yea, yeah, you know you don't need to like pray no more, say no more like you got me? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw you were in the studio with Fab last night.
Speaker 3: Mmm, you for me?
Speaker 4: Because you for me? You sampled the original song with TMA. Yeah h So we're getting a remix with Fabs that was about to happen.
Speaker 3: I hope, So I hope. So, yeah, we were there. I played a couple of records and he definitely gravitated to that. But I'm a bit because would he remix a remix because he's already do you know what I mean? Like I was a bit skeptical to ask and be like, h.
Speaker 4: But he he was there, you didn't want to ask him.
Speaker 3: No. I played other records that he loved as well, but then he loved that too, So I'm hoping by today or tomorrow I might get something.
Speaker 4: I feel like that.
Speaker 3: I hope that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that makes the most SIPs.
Speaker 3: Yeah really, but you know, like Lightland doesn't strike in the same place twice, so is it kind of be like, oh you should have left the original.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why you do it. You know what I'm saying, you don't like it?
Speaker 3: No, you can't tell someone like you can't have someone like Favety something and be like no, you can't do that.
Speaker 4: I feel like he's a way that can he can like flip it, like he takes basically sampling his own like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's too good, he's never he's not even ever gonna go below. Yeah, he's too good.
Speaker 4: He's too smooth, embrace New York and like just all of it just feels like you're living like a different life right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, New York is good when you have money. Yes, I was living here and I don't have money. Yeah, I hated New York. But being in New York when you have a little little coin in your pocket, it's just a great It's a great city.
Speaker 2: The fact now you didn't put your first song to you was in your thirties, So what would you say to people who have a passion but feel like it's too late the pursuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that's that's my life. That's the story of my life. And I feel like I resented God and I resented my parents for so long. Yeah for making me wait, Like for making me do two degrees because I could have been out when I was twenty twenty one, like doing two degrees and it made me work as an accountant.
Speaker 1: Well what God had to do with that, because now.
Speaker 3: I just resented him, like like he I felt like he should have made me, given me the opportunity a lot sooner. But now looking at it, like I did it in my thirties, when I'm much grounded, I'm not phased by fame or money. I've seen people come and go some way more humble. I understand how hard you have to work for certain things that I've learned from the great and also for me, Like I feel like I can speak to people like you said, like even models like who feel like if they're not successful by twenty five, they need to retire. I think that's crazy. Or a footballer like by the time you're like hitting thirty you have to go to Saudi or something to start playing, Like that's to me, that's crazy. If you're still fit and you can still do it, it's.
Speaker 2: A little different. Like you said, they got to be physically. It's a physical thing. With music is more mental, it's more emotional. I would think that the more experience you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I always say to someone if I'm going into operating table and that they give me two options of a doctor a surgeon, and they say, this guy is young and he's fresh, and he's only been doing this for six months. And they're like, this guy's like sixty something and he's you know, he's been operating on people, he's never had any cases of whatever. I'm going to go with the experienced guys. And I feel like with music, the older you are, the longer you've been in the industry, the more seasoned you are. I don't know why they try and shut us out. The older we get like it's just it's crazy to me, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're more difficult, you think.
Speaker 3: When I started, people didn't realize how old I was, so they became fans. And then by the time they realized, they were like what, Yo, how old? But they're already like turn hint to like they already like my fan, like they already loved the brand. So yeah, but now I think would I say it's difficult sometimes, like and I don't shy away from it. That's usually one of the first things I say to people, like, hey, you know because and then when they find out, some people actually be like, yo.
Speaker 4: We can't because of your age. Yeah, brands are is and be like what yeah, like they'll yeah, it's a music industry. Well, I've heard from label friends that music they always look for younger artists. But I didn't think it was that point because you're established, like you have music, you have things, you have numbers, Like.
Speaker 3: I'm talking in terms of like opportunities they might say, hmm, the demographic don't really you know, say they always try and box me in this icon' oh we think she can perform, Like if there's a festival or whatever and there's like three dates, they sometimes try and box me in like the icon stage or whatever. And but young people really, like they really mess with me a lot, and a lot of them don't even really know how I am, but they will now.
Speaker 1: Who cares.
Speaker 2: I'm forty seven. I embrace every Okay, being alive is a blessing. Yeah, consider to the alternative wake up dead, And a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people don't make it. That's right to our age, Like to me when they throw it in my face, they would say the forty five year old, and I'm like, you're not. That's a blessing, like they always say. You will see people in my comments being like, oh my god, she's still singing. You should give it up. You should just damn just like yeah, and it just gets me angry, like I'm going to be doing this till I'm eighty, Like I'm going to keep going.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that because I saw you saying that you were suggesting that this might be your final life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you were worn out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just drunk. Maybe I was drunk that night. I was just like, oh my, I must have seen something on an article, must have just pissed me off. And I'm like, okay, fine, I'm not doing this again. Turn Out wake comes the next morning and I'm like, oh jeez, I need to make money.
Speaker 1: Unctionately exhausting? Is it to just create music?
Speaker 2: I don't think we ever talked to artists about that, Like, you spend all of this time, like you said, you spent traveling all around the world, and then you might push something out and then be one person.
Speaker 3: Like this is oh they give it like a three out of ten exactly. Yeah. No, I'm not even gonna lie that. That's you could talk about anything. I could the controversies and I have had a lot, But when it comes to music, that's the thing that gets me because I put so much into it, and again everyone didn't like Jesus, so who am I like? And it's the music KI is subjective. So when that happened, I just tend to what do I do? I just drink. I just get over it. I just like, shall I watch something, drink, hang out with my friends, invite the next day. I forgot about it, but I need to trust me he will be It's not it's even worse than that. It's worse. I gave the PG version this a lot. Yeah, it was really bad.
Speaker 4: You gotta keep it PG for us.
Speaker 2: In what way do you think this album marks your growth though, not just as an artist, but as.
Speaker 3: A person musically. I think you can hear like you could. You could just hear like this growth and there's there's confidence and like me attempting to do this, like I said, like a night cheering girl doing straight up R and B. Yeah, it just shows that I'm in a space where I'm not doing music for TikTok moments. I'm not doing songs that. Yeah, you can hear that this song, this twenty seconds of this part is going to be a you know, a viral moment. You could hear that. I'm comfortable and confident in the woman I am now musically and just in life. I'm not chasing anything. I'm enjoying. I'm enjoying being here, like I'm enjoying doing the press runs. I'm enjoying waking up early and they're like I have to do this and I'm I'm actually enjoying it now.
Speaker 1: What came out of the process that surprised you about.
Speaker 3: Yourself saying no? Yeah, I think I feel like I used to be a people pleaser. A lot of the songs that became huge for me, I didn't like them. A lot of my hit records I didn't like, but I said yes, and I you know, but I've learned how to just say no and be and but say in a grace gracious way. Like in a session, I'll say to the producer that's not for me. It's a great record is going to be a hit. Whoever's going to do that, But that's not where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Boundaries are important.
Speaker 3: Very very and but when you set boundaries, it's lonely. I never I never realized how many people I was going to lose by seting boundaries.
Speaker 1: But they were They clearly weren't meant to be around you anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm learning. But it's still lonely, though, because when you're used to being when you travel and then it kind of like as an artist, you know you're walking into somewhere and you have like ten twenty people, and you know everyone's like oh, who's that to, like me going to a ventage just be and my manager like, it's an adjustment, but then it's also cheaper and like you said, it's like peace of mind.
Speaker 2: One thing I respect about what you just said though. You said that you know you did songs that you didn't want to do but they were still hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people you talk about programming earlier, a lot of people default setting would be like, well, let me just keep.
Speaker 1: Recording these songs. Yeah, they work, but they weren't making you feel good. Nah nah, even with the success.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no, I mean it felt good to do. See, I listened to like, you know, I would listen to like my label or whatever and be like, Okay, I'll do it, and then if it works out, I'm like, you know, cool, you know you're right. You know, I'm glad I listened to you. But I have to listen to myself as well, and I have to motivate myself and challenge myself and be like, yeah, no, I've done this for the past ten years. I've done I know how to do those type of afrobeat hit records. With my eyes closed, I'm not excited anymore. Like I want to be able to go on stage and sing records and have people crying or like look at them and they they know or I feel that they can feel the music like I want to. I need that in my catalog. Not everything is about this car and that and look at my diamonds and I'm the Savage and I'm this Like okay, we get it. Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Do something like that, that's gonna make me feel some feel something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I needed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah you are. You mentioned how coming to the US gave you like kind of like a fresh start, and you mentioned some of the controversies that you know have been have that you've been through. How exhausting is it to go through things like you know, the controversies that we've had to see you talk about publicly and then come back out with music and you know people are gonna want to talk about these things.
Speaker 3: It depends what controversy as well. It's been a lot. The type of person I am me, I've said this before, I laugh about things. I laugh like I would I would make fun of myself because I feel that would that was how I would cope with it. I feel like if I make fun of it and I pretend like it's not really getting to me. That's how I used to deal with things, and I would put it in my music. But the way I would put it in my music would be like, you know, when I talked about the sex tape and loaded, and I said, who's never had sex before? You know, like, and that's that's how I was able to kind of like try and get through it. But in hindsight, did I really deal with it? I don't think so. And that's what I'm doing now. It's like I was hurt and and it's okay for me to say I was hurt. I was a victim. It happened to me as supposed to just trying to let me make a hit out of it, and you know, I don't care, and you know, like, so now it's different. Now, it's like I am I'm living in the truth, in my truth and admitting to myself that, Yo, that shit hurt me.
Speaker 1: Well, why couldn't you admit that that?
Speaker 2: Of course that would hurt you if somebody tries to blackmail you over sex tape.
Speaker 1: Yes, they My.
Speaker 3: People didn't see it like that. They thought I did it for pr A lot of people thought, oh, she's not relevant anymore, and she's doing this and I'm like, guys, trust me. That's if I wanted to do that, I would have had better lighting. I would have you know, I would have set it up right. I would have been in sexy lingerie. My facial expression would have been not what it was like, you know what I mean, it would it would have been completely different if I really wanted to put that in your performance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like so, I just want you to know.
Speaker 2: Africa is a big continent, right But there's a lot of people watching this interview who might have never even heard that story.
Speaker 1: But there's going to be a big google right now.
Speaker 4: And they're gonna.
Speaker 1: And you from God.
Speaker 3: Not even denying it.
Speaker 4: I just want the song too, so they listen to that. Whatever happened to the Like, what was the end result of that? Like, did you figure out who was trying to do the extortion? Were they?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Now? I didn't. I never, I didn't. I didn't pursue it. I never. We tried, actually, but yeah, we couldn't. And me trying was just like it was just too traumatic for me to keep talking about it. And just yeah, like I said, I just I just wanted to like, just yeah, just move on.
Speaker 1: From it happened to you, No, thank you. I think it's also from Nigeria, so.
Speaker 2: It's like it's very religious, and yeah, probably was a lot harder on you. Yo.
Speaker 3: They were like, how can you? How can you at your age have a sex tape with someone? And I'm like, first of all, I didn't even know, like you could don't watch it, but I didn't know what was happening. And the person was my boyfriend at the time, so even if I wanted to do a sexy that was my boyfriend. Like, but they saw it as being immoral. They thought it was just dirty, and I'm like, I know what some of you guys do is even worse than this, But I I was a scapegoat and that was that was painful for me. Man. It was really painful because they brought my son into it and said I was unfit mom, like my son, my son's going to grow up and see this and he's going to be disappointed in his mom and how can I do this? And my parents? I had to talk to my parents about this, and yeah, it was it was that hurt me more than the actual thing.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it hurt me more like you're you're you're saying that I'm I'm a bad mother for having.
Speaker 1: Sex with something that was out of your control.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I mean, thank for my family. The first thing my mom's my mom calls me and she's like, I'm just happy you're again. In her own words, she's like, don't listen to them more. I'm just happy that you're enjoying yourself. And I was just like, yeah, just hearing my mom say that.
Speaker 4: Was just like did you know you?
Speaker 1: Did you know you was being recorded? So it wasn't the guy that put it out, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Okay, So he said he was trying to save it and then he pressed scent by accident on Snapchat.
Speaker 1: And that sounded like forever the movie the TV show happened.
Speaker 4: Really there was a younger she was a younger girl though, and she was giving herd and she was recorded and he the video got released and she was like the whole show. She's like fighting back again, like she had moved school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the thing was next to each other apparently. So he said he was trying to save it. Showed me later, but you didn't even tell Yeah, And then he's precedent by accident again, and I later on found out that it was a bet. It was that he really bet with his friends or whatever, and it's like, was.
Speaker 1: He younger than you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, because I have a theory I always teld women of a certain age, but lead these young boys along because they recording everything.
Speaker 3: What yes, yeah, now I'm not going to anyone's hotel. You're coming because you can have cameras hitting and then yeah, and you're coming to my safe space. But yeah, even that itself was traumatic because he was my boyfriend. I thought we were in a relationship and then I'm here and later that it was a bet. M So did you really like me? Or this was just planned from the beginning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that's got to be so scary for you, even because you're bigger as an artist even now yeah now now now, yeah, you're looking at your phone, you're putting your phone down. That's why it's just really hard, Like I'm not coming to your hotel to me, you're coming to my place like or I'm getting a hotel because I'm not bringing you around my son. So yeah, so.
Speaker 1: More controversy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just can't imagine being recorded on accident and leaking. But okay, at.
Speaker 3: Least shaven.
Speaker 1: Very important. It's very important. Yes, Oh is she brand?
Speaker 5: What we are not going to do that it was clean.
Speaker 4: We had Ado here on the show. Oh god, well he mentioned while he was here that you know that you saw it. Yeah, what happened between you and t R Savage?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: I know you all were like really really close, like cool man.
Speaker 6: Like I said, you know what I'm saying, even with the big three questions you asked me.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I remember when all of us you know what I'm saying coming up together. You know what I'm saying to me on t I you should stay in the same house. It's like my big sister, Like, you know what I'm saying, she saw me as a youngin you know what I'm saying. But the situation with t I was, you know, it was like kind of personal.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: She's she's very very good friends with my the mom and my daughter, my first daughter, which you know we were in court having custody and that. So I just felt like, you know what I'm saying, you my you know what I'm saying, Help me, help me, my daughter that type. So we just got a little argument. It was nothing, you know what I'm saying. It was just like brothers and sisters argument.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen her since then, to be honest, but she did reach out, and you know what I'm saying, So probably if it happens, it happens, and I know bad, but I love her. You know, I love her child and I saw him grow up. You know what I'm saying. She's an amazing person. She changed the game for females. You know what I'm saying. She always have that respect. You know, that's my sister. I would never let nothing happens. She knows, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: What about wiz K? You love whiz Kid?
Speaker 4: That is not That's not his system.
Speaker 1: I'm just asking. I love everybody.
Speaker 2: I do want to ask a question about the Big Three though, Like if they call they called Bernard or Rebel and they talk about Whizky he has the mystique, what is what's your lane in that in that Big Three? Man?
Speaker 6: I'm Joseph.
Speaker 1: I'm just me.
Speaker 4: I'm just me, Like I'm just.
Speaker 1: Me, like a whirl. I like I used to work out. That's what I thought.
Speaker 6: Like people people, people know me as the outgoing guy. Yeah, I'm saying they you know, free, you know what I'm saying. I don't have that mistique or that rebel. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I can't act that way. I'm just me and people.
Speaker 6: Some personal people be like, man, you're too free. You're too free, so you don't you know you have superstar. I'm like, bro, I've been listening. I'm going Disney two years old. Like this does not Yeah, like I like I always say, like if my dad walks in the woman, Like, if you're walking on the road, you know what I'm saying, my dad passes you by, you probably would even know like that dude, got better, dog, I'm telling you. So that's how I grew up. My manager be getting mad like I'd be in the house, I being slippers, like going away.
Speaker 1: I'm like, bro, I'm home. You look good every time.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But the people that are born.
Speaker 6: Artists, that's just how they They're coming out their room like you know what I'm saying that people some people are like that, you know what I'm saying, that's what works for them and to be honest, it's worked for them.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: What's worked for me, it's worked for me, and what's worked for them, you know, it's worked for them. Maybe if they like free like me, you know, maybe they wouldn't get what they have, you know what I'm saying. So, and maybe the way I am is what has helped me. So it's just like everybody. I feel like every in every industry, Like just like how you had the Big Three back in the day with like jay Z. They were all different kind of people, d different kind of people. You know what I'm saying, Drake Outside, you know what I'm saying. Kendrick is like, you don't even know what that move is. So it's like they're different kind of people and right, and that's okay, you know what I'm saying, That's okay.
Speaker 4: I saw you talk to Rolling Stone a bit about it, about how you felt about it. Did you feel like because it seemed like he was sorry for whatever transpired and that y'all were good? Now was that the feeling you got from it?
Speaker 3: Well, we haven't seen a spoken since, so, yeah, we haven't. I haven't seen him since then spoken, But I again, I want to say, I think it was a miscommunication, but there hasn't been any kind of communication between us. But I definitely I was. I was hurt by how it transpired. I mean, I don't know if he explained, you know, what kind of happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you can explain it from your point of view.
Speaker 3: So our kids are friends, and they've gone to the same school since they were one. They're ten now, so they've gone to the same they've been in the same class for ten years. So I've now, I've known David before that, but I've naturally grown a relationship with the mother of their kid, and I didn't really know that, you know, there was issues. I mean, I know that he's moved on and he's married, you know whatever, but I don't know what's going on apart from that, And I guess I was. I was at an event and she was too, so naturally like, hey, how are you We're a partying drinking, doing snap and whatever. And he saw that and he took it as I was betraying him, and I'm like, what, how, Like, what's what's going on? And that's why I said, I think it was as miss misunderstanding, Like he felt like I knew what was happening, and I was on her side, and that that's not the case. Like, this is just a woman that I know who's the mother to my son's friend. And we were a social gathering and I see him, were, you know, chilling, So, like I said, we haven't seen each other since. And even if I did know, I don't think I would have chosen a side either, Like I don't think I'm going to be like, oh, because you guys are having issues, I'm going to be on David's side. I'm going to be on Sofia's side because our kids are friends and it's not my business to take sides, like yeah, just like I don't want anyone to take sides with my situation. It's between me and the father and my son. I don't think anyone should be dragged into it. But again, he felt like I was. I should I should have been loyal to him in that situation.
Speaker 1: But how did that turn into you submitting a letter to the police. If anything happened to me, it was him, So.
Speaker 3: I think out of anger, maybe he might have made threats. Do I think he was really gonna go ahead with it? No, But again I'm not taking any risks, like I feel like you could. You could be saying it around people who want to now act out on what you're saying. Do you know what I'm saying? And you know how it is when your crew and his crew might end. It might not even be here and I directly might be someone from my crew fighting his crew whatever, and it escalates again. Before I did that, though, I reached out to members of his family. I'm not going to say names, but people that are older than him, and I said, listen, I'm hearing threats. Can we solve this? And none of them came back to me. In fact, one of them was just like, do what you need to do. I was like, cool, Like, just for the record, I want before I do anything, can we solve this? You know?
Speaker 2: And yeah, he said, you're like his big sister who will always love you and would never let anything better.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, that's why I said, I do I think he was ever going to carry out No, I think he was just you know, David is such a joy like he's just a joyful no when I sort of and he doesn't mean it so and I feel like that too. I feel like he is like a brother to me, and that's why it and we haven't seen each other, and I'm sure it's going to be all love. It's definitely all love for me. And I want him to know I haven't spoken to you, David, but I do want you to know that I do love you and I've never I would never betray you or like take sides. I just want you to know that I'm always putting our kids first. So and that's why I just feel like I have to be respectful to the mother of a child.
Speaker 1: So why did you say the Big three?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, no no, no, no, no, no no, So not fuck them life, but the narrative of the Big three? Yeah, Like, f that narrative because this is a continent, This is so many artists, and we keep reducing it to three three artists every single time. When we have diamonds, we have flavor, we have we have terms, we have like the listen Rema like, yeah, I loves I'm like my right, yeah, and I'm like they're like and we don't include them in the top three. Why Like so I'm like, f that narrative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're right, it's like you hear burna boy.
Speaker 2: You hear with kids here, but for me and that I listen to a lot of listen to a lot of teams, and I'm like, I don't know why it.
Speaker 1: Is just those three. Is it is it sales?
Speaker 4: Is it maybe?
Speaker 3: And I think they have a really strong fan base, so their fan base is very They're they're active. Yeah, they're very, very active.
Speaker 1: Even you you you got to be in that conversation.
Speaker 4: As well, like I mean, you know what I see people do lot and I don't know if you see this too. They put you, they put you in Tyler, Like there's a conversation a lot with you and Tyler.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think, well, I think it's because if you're not from where you guys are from anybody that's like big from a certain type of music, people just like to talk about you guys. At one point, I saw conversations with like Tims Tyler like just whoa who is the girl now? And then even when they had when we were having the colors conversation, people were having conversations about dark skinned women from certain places being able to make it versus lighter skinned women, and they got mad about the color of the comments. Like I've seen the conversation around you guys, but more so, uh should you more so like a skin color thing. Really, Yes, I've seen that conversation.
Speaker 1: I've seen.
Speaker 4: A star like You're like she she's kind of like you big up her a lot, right, Yeah, I love to see Yeah, I hate, not hate, but comparisons with you, Irish Star. Really well maybe because we've we've like I've we're both. I was signed to Don Jazzy and she's with Don Jazzy now, and he's you know, anyone that has.
Speaker 3: Ever ever been under him? Pause but yeah, no, yeah, I don't want this to be taken out of context, but yeah, anyone who's ever been associated with him knows that he does not play that. So he yeah, he's yeah and just But I love her regardless anyway, And I just have to respect his artists. But regardless of that, I love Ira.
Speaker 4: I think too though in music, like whenever we were talking without this earlier with Kardi, whenever you get to a certain point, people just have to like there's that competitive nature that comes in from the fans and just the people in the critics, like it just happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I feel like as artists we have the opportunity to what's the word. Yeah, earlier on, like I saw that kind of coming with Ira, and I'm like, nah, you guys are not going to build this awkwardness between us. And I'm posting her, she's posting me. So the fans can't even they can't even kind of like build that narrative between the both of us, because earlier on we were just like, yeah, let's get this conversation. This is not even that it's not a topic.
Speaker 4: I know you guys are from two different places, but when the colored conversation was happening with Tyler, from your perspective, how did you feel about the conversation and just how she handled in people's reaction to it.
Speaker 3: Who you guys are serious? Oh, I feel like two truths can be real. At the same time, I feel like, maybe I don't really know what the first thing she said was that sparked the whole conversation, But I do know that from where she's from, she's you know, she was. I think she she doesn't. She doesn't consider they don't call her black, they call her color colored because she's because she's mixed. And I guess I get why that would be such a huge thing here because of I mean, the history behind that name. You know, I don't know if I think I felt for her a little bit because I feel like she's young and I don't think she means to come across like that. But where we're from, where I'm from, when something like this happens, like they say, the elder will come and say it on behalf of such and such, you apologize.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's what I feel like, if if if if that wasn't if that wasn't communicated, I would I would like to say, you know, like on behalf of that her or whatever, like we apologize, like you know, we didn't mean it was, you know, because I don't think it came from a bad place, you know what I mean, I don't think it came from a bad place.
Speaker 2: And they making it to me, they're making it bigger than what it needs to be. I've heard her explain it, and it makes perfect sense to me. When and then you know, recently she put out an album and it didn't do well and they were blaming the comments, and I'm like, I don't think that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were blaming you too, Charlamagne.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Question, he always says, you got to know if you come to anywhere at that time when everyone's having that conversation, is going to be asked, And I think that they should have prepared her to at least glide through the question. Like it was so like I'm not answering that, Like it made it a thing of like well why not? Yeah, which she described it in Vogue right after that, and I was like, okay, girl, you could have just said that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but have you have you guys never earlier on in your career made maybe mistakes you guys?
Speaker 4: Ever he smelt, he smelled somebody's seats happened?
Speaker 1: Was it? No?
Speaker 3: Why because you wanted to smile? Was nice?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 4: He's been done for a very no.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so I feel like she's learning. Yeah, she'll learned from that, and she'll know. She'll now know, like when I'm going to certain interviews, like, yeah, I guess, let me watch what type of interview is? Are they? You know, do they ask hard questions? And let me be prepared? Like you know, I think people do.
Speaker 4: Don't when they're watching celebrities do the things that y'all do with interviews and stuff, you don't realize that her fans don't realize that you guys are people. So sometimes even if she's prepared to answer the question, she might be nervous and still she's sitting with you know, you come here, you sit with like Charlotte Maye and he makes people nervous.
Speaker 3: Was not prepared for you guys to ask me this. I'm like, no, no, no, I'm okay, yes, you're only your business.
Speaker 4: I'm really insure you.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I do want to know why do you think female Why do you think female African artists don't get in the Big three conversation?
Speaker 1: Like why aren't they?
Speaker 3: I think culturally still women are not what's the word misogy? Yes, yes, so even culturally, not even just in music. For me, I've said this before. When I got my tattoos, I was I was trending. I'm going to go to hell. You know what kind of mother am I? Nobody's going to marry me with this. I'm never going to get a day job. I'm like, yeah, I don't want to job. But you know, like male artists are covered in tattoos and they're like, yo, that's he's a rock star. So not just the music, just in general, women are still like undermind in my culture, so it's obviously going to trickle down into music.
Speaker 1: I feel like you do.
Speaker 2: Very well with a podcast, I really, really really because I saw you say how you had to sneak away from your team because you wanted to be more out spoken, and oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I cursed him out. What No, there was a guy and he said Tia does not support female artists and she's not signed a female artist and what kind of legacy is that? And I said, what are you crazy? Like, first of all, I don't have I don't have a problem with you having an opinion, but at least do your research. No one has done in terms of females. No one has done more songs with females than me, like literally either me featuring them or then featuring me. So you coming on and saying I don't support females, that's already wrong, and you have such a huge platform, and people were believing that instead of doing the research, they're just like, yeah, it's true. And I'm like, wait, how many of the songs that I've even done with female arts have you guys even promoted Let's start with that, Like, so you're not even encouraging us to even work with each other because you act like you don't see us. So I'm very as much as I'm reserved, I can like I don't. Yeah, I'm not scared of no one, and I would say any like yes, and if I'm convicted, if I'm convicted that I'm saying the truth, my truth. Yeah, you can't tell me nothing. I was cussing them out in my language.
Speaker 1: And that's why I want you to have a podcast. I think it would be very good.
Speaker 2: I think people should be able to ask you questions because you have a level of experience, a level.
Speaker 3: Of we feel to the they're always nervous every time I go on because this I would trend force something you.
Speaker 4: Always tell me how to like do it and making mistakes. Listen, if you're on a platform, you will make them, but you will learn how to do it in a way that is like beneficial but like still authentic to you.
Speaker 3: And I think I'll ever share that.
Speaker 4: That's great you home to day. You have to have already know I was talking way too.
Speaker 2: That's why I can tell, like, everything you're saying is all the reasons you should have a podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's even the streaming thing is getting big like, but the podcast, Yeah, but I I yeah, I make them nervous, man, Like even the whole thing you asked me about Tyler and David, I already know this is I always think so I always think I'm very honest, and even even me talking about the relationship and being in a room or whatever, and a lot of people were like, I was oversharing and I'm saying too much. And they're even saying that you're doing this because you want to promote your album, and I'm just like, I don't even know how to lie. If I knew how to lie or lie about my age when I first came out, because I could have easily done that or just lied about the whole situation or just created a whole scenario. But my problem is I'll go to another interview and I'll forget what I said and I kid just said he's a doctor, and I'll be like, oh, yeah, he's a basketball player, and I'll just trip myself, like.
Speaker 2: Say, you should never lie because when you lie, you when you tell the truth, you don't ever have to remember.
Speaker 1: What you said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how to not share the truth or just be so honest. Oh that gets me in trouble a lot.
Speaker 4: I think you're allowed to talk about like your mom and you went through divorced relationship. You know this this sex tape stuff. Music, you could be like a tunnel and you to have your lady.
Speaker 3: That's what I tried to do with the sex tape. So I had an interview and I had just gotten the video and then I was Angie Martinez. Yes. So I was going there to promote a song and I'm like, I'm just gonna say what is and my everyone was like, no, you cannot. And I went there and I said it and then they released it anyway, and I'm like, before you embarrassed me or think that you're gonna get one on me, I'm just gonna go on there and say listen, was gonna come out and they're threatening me and I'm thinking, I'm controlling my narrative, and then it backfires on me because they now said I did it on purpose.
Speaker 4: It's just to be mad at that, because at the same time, whenever the sex tape conversation comes up, people point to that interview, your explanation of it. So it did control the narrative, like you got to learn the high level winds and can't be down here with all the low level Yeah yeah you entertainment.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, no, well no I don't but yeah, it's still kind of there, but it's not it's not.
Speaker 4: Very great for you to break artists through as well. I think you should do it.
Speaker 3: I don't think I have I don't think Okay, let me just clear this out. It's not that I don't want to help, but I don't think everybody's cut out to sign artists, especially as an artist. Because you've seen some artists. I'm not going to mention the name they've signed other artists and what's happened to them. Yeah, because there's still that competition is still not to say that I'm in I'm going to be in competition, but I don't have that mindset. I don't have that that heart where I could wake up and my artists could be trending about something and I would be heartbroken. I wondn't be able to control it because I'm like what I feel like the way I can give back is by I'm opening a music school. So yeah, I'm partnering with Berkeley College of Music. I'm going to also start with like awarding scholarships to African students to come all the way to Boston learn music, because I think like everybody gets stuck on artists. But there's so many other parts of music. There's music therapy to help you know when you have canter patients, and you know, there's film scoring, like creating music for movies. There's music education. So yeah, so there's other parts of it. So that's my way of helping people. I don't have the I don't have the gift to sign other artists, but I can give back in.
Speaker 2: That way that is you are very that's a very self aware thing to say, yeah, and I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't do it, like and not everybody can do that, and they'll be very selfish of me to sign somebody else that I feel like, if I want to sign somebody else, I need to be out of the game. Yeah, because I'm going to be like you releasing something, and you're releasing something. Even if I say there's no competition, they still will be a little bit. So I'm not I'm not there yet.
Speaker 2: Wow, my last quar No, I understand I like this stelf aware because there's a lot of people that are coming to my mind right now, and I'm like, I wish they took that advice.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of American artists. I'm like, you know what, Yeah, there's one in particular saying it.
Speaker 3: J No, you don't think he should have signed.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I think it was good that he did because he introduced us to a lot of people. But I feel like he had the best roster of artists of any of of the artists of those of that new generation. He had Harry Lennox, Earth Gang and Jed and it's just like, yeah, and I feel like him being as big as he was, I don't know, I just felt like he could have just made all of them bigger, you know. I just felt like Dreamville could have been a lot, lot, a lot bigger.
Speaker 1: And I've heard recently that he feels the same way that. Really, I could be completely wrong, I could just making it, but that's what I've heard. That's why, that's why they disbanded.
Speaker 4: What you just did there where you got him to have a conversation and now that's going to be a clip and people are going to be discussing that your podcast will go off. Girl, Yeah, maybe maybe you guys should invite me more off and and maybe have me speak or we.
Speaker 2: Could just launch the Tear or Savage podcast on the Black Effect Podcast.
Speaker 3: Now yeah, no, one hundred percent. I would Oh my god, that would be sick, I think. So we're saying this on air, like, don't you think this is one of the things that should go out that you guys should you should cut out?
Speaker 2: My last question, what do you hope your listeners take away from this album emotionally, spiritually and in terms of healing.
Speaker 3: I would love them to listen to it from start to finish, not like shuffle it and go on the journey, and know that I went through I went through heartache where it felt like a disease, like to minimize you know, a lot of people people say it's just a heartache, it's not like you've got cancer or whatever, and it's like, yeah, it's not, but it can feel like the end of the world. So I want them to know that they're whatever they're going through is valid, and but also listen to it to the end and know that you can get through it and you can heal. And that last song changed, you know. That's why I say listen to it like, you know, like a journey of emotions and know that at the end of the day, everything does work out and and it will work out. It has to work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's t y savage.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us the conversation. It's the breakfast Club, every day Breakfast Club. Feels y'all done.