Speaker 1: Al Zone Media. Hello, and welcome to Cool People, did Cool Stuff, your weekly reminder that things are real complicated and sometimes there's a difference between moral action and strategic action, and it's impossible to know. But what you can know ahead of time is that my name is Margaret Kiljoy and I'm the host. You can also know you probably have guessed because you've probably listened to part one, unless you're a very strange person. That My guest is Carl Casardo from en Range TV. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great? Hello everybody, It's good to be back. Hopefully Margaret, you're doing well. And I am personally extremely excited to hear about Council Communism. Like I've been waiting a while now I'm dying for that part. I mean, I mean, I know what happens to Vanderloubi, but like I don't know about the Council Communism part. So that's what's what I'm here for.
Speaker 1: I know exactly. And our producer Sharen Sharan, how are you?
Speaker 3: I am good? Thank you for having me. Also very stoked to learn what that is. Council of Communism yep.
Speaker 1: And our audio engineer is Daniel Hi. Daniel Hi Daniel, Hi, I know or it's okay. Our theme musical was written forced by un woman. My favorite thing in the world is when listeners tell me that. They say it also when they're like at work and shit, so cute.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm really into it makes me happy.
Speaker 2: So you're adding into the general positive zeitgeist and the magnetic sphere. For Daniel right there, it was like boom, it just happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just like a little bit of strangeness going out into the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So today is the moment you've all been waiting for. Yes, yes, there'll be fire and political intrigue. But first, niche left his theory from one hundred years ago that has no about relevance to modern leftism.
Speaker 2: Hooray.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it is relevant to this story. And I actually think understanding the ins and outs of all of this stuff that happened in the early twentieth century in late nineteenth century has on me so much good at giving me a vantage point to understand what's going on today. The foolish thing to do would be to think that the things that happen in the past are the same as what's happening now. Right, But It has helped me think about how people have like faced similar problems and what they've come up with, and it just I find it interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that you said that because I sort of, I mean, I know and I understand that also not exactly full quote of you know, those who don't understand the past are doomed to repeat it. I don't really buy that. No, but those who don't know the past don't have depth and understanding of the human condition and better comprehension of what things happening now mean totally.
Speaker 1: You can kill someone with the dull sword, and you can kill someone of the sharp sword, and it's easier to do with the sharp sword. If I'm using the Game of Thrones. The reason you read books is to sharpen your intellect. You know, most importantly, understanding nitty gritty stuff about ancient political ideology is cool and fun and it has hip, and it will win you friends at parties. It will win you exactly one friend at any given party, the other random nerd who happens to be there. Everyone else will leave you alone. They'll come over, they'll hear what you're talking about, they'll leave. It's great. You get to win at parties, you only have to talk to one person at a time.
Speaker 2: It's like the Church of the subject, you says, I drink to make other people interesting. I learned these topics to find the other interesting person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally. And so Marinus was a council communist. There are not many council communists anymore. If there are, and you're listening, I actually think you're onto something. It's great, it's fine. I met a former one once and he was in his probably seventies, maybe eighties, and he had written a bunch of books about council communism in the sixties and seventies, and then he became an anarchist. Council communists are look forever ago, there was this split between libertarian socialists like anarchists, and authoritarian socialists like Marxists. Back in the nineteenth century. The authoritarian side is, you know, the Marxist side, the liberty inside, the more anarchist side. This is not universally true. This is the broad strokes. And every now and then, over the ensuing you have this, you know, this tree that is split, and you have two different branches, right, and every now and then people from one branch will be like looking over at the other branch and being like, damn, that's a nice branch. They got like pretty good bark. Like I don't know what branches see in each other, but like, whatever branches see in each other, they're into about each other. Right.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm tired of three hour meetings about what colors we should make our font What if we just get a dictator that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. And so the anarchist side, looking over towards the Marxist side, you would get as an example, I would say it would be the platformist anarchists who are like, what if anarchism was way more unified and organized at the expense of putonomy or whatever what. I'm not trying to talk shit on them, but they're cribbon notes from the Marxists, right. And then in the other direction, I know more examples of the other direction because our branch is better whatever, because my p spective of where I'm at, I see the other direction more if Marxist cribbing notes from the anarchists. And among other groups that have done this, there's like autonomous Marxists and various other groups are the council communists. Because council communists. At its core was communists who were like one if communism actually pushed for communism, as we covered at length in the Russian Civil War episodes, the Russian Communist Party aka the Bolsheviks, they had started off being into the idea of these councils aka the Soviets and the trade unions, and you know, some of these people and some of these councils wanted to workers to take power without creating a dictator, without taking that power away from the workers and then centralizing it into one place. Right, the Bolsheviks did the opposite. They centralized power and the Soviets the councils were left with nothing. So council communists spun off. At this point they looked at what was happening in Russia and they were like, what if the point was that power's supposed to stay in the hands of the working class During the revolution, I thought that was the whole thing. We were all dying over. A ton of Marxists in Germany and the Netherlands were into council communism in the nineteen twenties. I talked about the some of the political landscape in the nineteen twenties in Germany and how the Nazis were originally sort of minority party among the right and they gain power and stuff right and council Communism comes out of the German left overall. Again there's Dutch parts of it too, but basically, the German Communist Party originally started off pretty cool. It was interested in workers' power. It was not interested in being told what to do by the Bolsheviks. They're in a different country. But then in nineteen nineteen, the Communist Party of Germany, the KDP, they managed to do some political maneuvering against the will of the majority of their own members in classic Bolsheviks style, and so they made the party line of this group suddenly be now, we do whatever Russia tells us to do, even though most Communists didn't actually want to do this. So the party split. And here's where you get into that, Like, yeah, I ever seen Life of Brian? Oh of course, yeah, Trein you ever seen this movie Life of Brian? It's okay if I have, I have no memory of bit. But there's this part where like people are like, oh, we're the Judea's Party of Liberation. We're like, no, we're the where the I can't even do the bit. They're all like arguing amongst each other themselves, and they have basically the same name, and they're like arguing over fine points and the getting really mad at each other, and it's a fun joke. Well, the old Communist party was the Communist Party of Germany. The new one that they form is the Communist Workers Party of Germany.
Speaker 2: Oh, this changes everything right there, that makes the difference. That's the reformation that will make it succeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So they go from the KDP to the KADP, and they actually, I mean they're pretty cool. They set up a workers union modeled after the Industrial Workers of the World. Mark that off in your Bengo card, aka union for leftists who are more concerned with giving power to the working class than being obsessive about ideological labels. So I the council Communists, they all right, like I actually not not here talk shit on them. But they still see themselves as part of communism, right. They don't see themselves as part of anarchism or a new thing, right, And so they they apply to join this group called the Common Tern the Communist International, which used to be back in the day. This like sort of horizontal group of all these different socialists around Europe. Right these days, well the days I'm talking about, it's just run by Russia. So they're like, no, you can't fucking join. Fuck you get the fuck out of here. You all want to be independent. Fuck that, we don't want independence here, we're fucking the Bolsheviks. So you call this This tendency also gets called left wing communism, which I think is really funny. Lenin wrote a pamphlet called left Wing Communism in Infantile Disorder to make fun of them. Lenin got jokes, it is funny to think about that.
Speaker 2: How there's that means there's right wing communism. I mean it's just ket such a like fractionalization upon fractionalization, a pro fractionalization, and then a group trying to bring the factions together, but then don't. It's an endless story of humanity, regardless of any movement.
Speaker 1: No I know, I know. This is why I live alone on a mountain. Like, so this is how you get council communists. At first, they tried saving the common turn from authoritarianism. They're like, hey, what if we all get to be worker's power? Like it says in the name of communism, you know, and they were like pointing out accurately that Russia was a capitalist state. This did not work. They're like, fine, we're doing our own thing and the five principles of council communism. Don't worry, we'll get to fire soon. It's not one of their principles. Five principles are capitalism is in decline and needs to be abolished immediately. It should be replaced by workers control over the economy through council democracy. The bourgeoisie manipulates the working class with its social democratic ally in order to maintain capitalism. This manipulation must be resisted by boycotting electoral politics and fighting traditional labor unions. And finally, the Soviet Union is not an alternative to capitalism, just a new type of capitalism. So that's them. They did their thing in Germany and the Netherlands alongside the other left communists across the Western world, which was basically everyone who didn't want to fucking toe the party line of Bolshevism. Council communism was not particularly influential except in Germany and the Netherlands. It's just like, you know, you read the Wikipedia, they'll be like, wow, it's in all these countries and you're like, okay, but was there one hundred people in France And they're like yeah, there's one hundred people in France and you're like that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one guy sending out postcards from Pueblo, Colorado isn't a movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, although I guess that's kind of a fucking Nazi started.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't know where it's going to go, but it isn't the movement yet, right. It might be the yet Sea Crystal or something like that, but it's not in and of itself yet totally.
Speaker 1: And so everyone of all sides could not wait to throw the Council communists under the bus. So back to barness, who's about to be under the bus of history?
Speaker 2: Oh you know what that makes me think everyone wants to throw them under the bus because no one likes being called out on what is ultimately the hypocrisy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, totally.
Speaker 2: Everybody hates that when he checks out. Yeah yeah, when you're like, no, you're full of shit, everybody gets mad at that, even if you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone's mad at them. Yeah, because it is that it's that meme like everyone's mad at Jesus because he was right, you know, yeah, like that's what's happening here. Everyone's like, but the Bolsheviks are clearly bullshit, and everyone's like, no, there are a guy. I mean, I don't know what it's like to live in a place where people are like, that's our guy, even though they're bad and wrong, and you're like, what if that just isn't our guy anymore? And they're like, how dare you split the party? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Thankfully that's nothing like what we have going on, so we don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, No, it's just weird history. So Marnus is in the Netherlands. He's getting in and out of jail, and the word on the s and the Netherlands is that there might be about to be a civil war in Germany to stop Hitler from taking power. Right, this is like January nineteen thirty three. Hitler's just I guess this February nineteen thirty three. Hitler's just come to power. And everyone's like, oh, we might stop this, right, we might be able to have a civil war to stop this, if only there had been, And he's like, well, don't have a civil war without me, I'll throw cops through windows. Not a problem. I'll walk all the way there. And so he did. I think he hit checked again, but actually it took him a couple of weeks to get there, so maybe he did fucking walk. I don't know. He gets to Berlin, it's like mid February nineteen thirty three, and there's stormtroopers and shit now, and he's like, hey, the Nazis are taking over. Should we do something about this? And he is trying, like his first resort wasn't individual action at night. His first resort was he went to every meeting he could, including a group so he didn't like all that much, like the communists and the social Democrats, and he goes to every meeting and he's like, hey, what if instead of letting the Nazis take over, we stop the Nazis from taking over. I've got this wild idea. You know. He's that other meme, the guy standing up being like I have an idea, you know, the unpopular idea guy. He's trying really hard. He's getting people to talk about it on the streets. He keeps trying to like just like organize everywhere he goes. He's like hey, like, and he's going directly the workers. He's like, the parties aren't stopping it, how do we stop it? You know? And he's trying to incite riots. He does not successfully incite them. Nothing is working. On February twenty third, he's at a Communist Party meeting that is broken up by cops and no one even fights back. He's like, wait, what the fuck is happening. Then on February twenty fourth, the Communist Party headquarters is rated. I mentioned this earlier, and the Communists are still just trying to play nice, and he's like, we can't fucking nice while the Nazis are taking over. That is not an acceptable thing for us to do. He can't stand what's happening. He feels like has something has to be done. He wanted it to be a mass action through the proper channels of workers organizations. He's going to even the Social Democrats. That's not working. So he's like, all right, what about fire. So on the night of February twenty fifth, this is not the Reichstrog fire, it's two days earlier, he goes on a sort of failed arson spree. He's trying to burn down an unemployment office, a castle in the Imperial Palace. He did this by just kind of walking around and throwing burning tinder through mail slots. Right, that's why he's hitting a bunch of places in one night. He's just like walking all over town being like la la, la la la. I'm Johnny fire Seed.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, the Johnny apple Seed of Arson. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And none of those buildings burned down. But he's like, maybe these actions will spark the working class out of their lethargy. And he there's where I disagree with him. I think this is a miscalculation, and I think it's a miscalculation that he had because he's young and he's from a different country. The communists and even the Social Democrats have been fighting for a decade against fascism in Germany and they've been steadily losing ground. In my estimation, and I am not an expert, I don't think this was lethargy. I think this was burnout. It was despair and it was feeling defeated that I think people were dealing with. So Marnus is like, well, if at first you don't burn down an important building to spark a working class revolt, burn burn again. On February twenty seventh, he does the thing that puts him into the history books, just in a bad way. The specifics of this night are argued about even still one hundred years later, well, ninety years later, nearly never, Yeah, ninety nine years later, no, eighty whatever, I can't do math.
Speaker 2: I think it's ninety nine balloons, which is a different reference entirely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bunch of balloons later.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Overall, the popular media version of this story is that the Nazis burned down the Reichstag to blame the Communists, or at the very least tricked Marnus into doing it. And then the rough consensus, maybe the majority rather than consensus, but the rough majority or consensus of historians is that, no, this was not a false flag attack. Marnus burned the Reichstag on his own volition. I'm not going to tell you that's definitely what happened. That's what I think happened. I feel fairly certain about that, and I'll tell you why I think it. At around nine pm on February twenty seventh, nineteen thirty three, Marnus broke into the Reichstag. Basically he was thinking. He was like, all right, this didn't work last time because I didn't go all in. Literally, He's like, I got to go inside these buildings to set them on fire. Right, He goes in to try and make sure the place burns. As soon as he breaks in. People see him break in. It's nine it's not When I first read that this happened at nine pm, I was like, do Germans just go to bed really early? Like what's happening, you know? And then I realized I read a different source and I learned more details, and I was like, no, they saw him do it. He broke in, and he was like, shit, the firefighters are already coming, the cops are already coming. I better fucking burn this place. And so he's running around inside trying to set shit on fire. And all he has is this like coal lighter, and I think that means it is a lighter for lighting coal, and not a lighter that works off of coal. But I could not tell you because I spent a while trying to learn and I couldn't figure it out. And he goes around. The kindling he brought isn't catching anything. He starts setting towels on fire. He takes off his own shirt and sets it on fire to try and start this fire, while the fire department is like outside using his coal and alzunder his coal fire lighter. He also sets the curtains on fire. This fire was started in multiple places, and this is where a lot of the conspiracy stuff comes from. Either he moved around quickly, which seems the most likely thing and the thing that most historians tend to believe that the curtains that he eventually lit like took a little while and he's like running around from curtain to curtain and setting them on fire around the building. Or I think this is also perfectly likely. He had accomplices and he shut the fuck up and he never mentioned them, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it could be either he goes over and lights the curtain and it just slowly starts a smolder till it goes up it hits that combustion point yep. Or yeah, but I mean, considering this guy's strength and bravado in the past that we've learned about him, him not breaking and talking about others is also very very understandable and very believable. Yeah, Well, what's weird is why didn't they bring any accelerant? I think they bring like lighter fluid or something.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know. I think yeah, and actually that almost even works. Stwories that like it was just right. It's because like it's right, and he clearly wasn't like the most thought out action that's ever happened, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It almost sounds like a whim like I'm doing it now, like if you were, because if you're planning.
Speaker 1: This, ZEPM, let's go yeah kind of.
Speaker 2: Because I mean, wouldn't you bring like a can of zippo or something like whatever the equivalent was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you might think it's way easier to catch things on fire if he was just like putting kindling in little mail slots, like yeah, maybe he has a different impression of how fire works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. He's just running around with a flint striker, being like why is that working? It's like a stone palate.
Speaker 2: With the string and he's like spinning it in the right stock. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The cops are outside because he's like he's burning his own shirt, right, Like he's willing to burn the shirt off his back.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. It sounds like it was almost a whim like I'm just doing it, Like maybe he just got the moment or got the I don't know, but it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And then there's the least likely thing, which is that Nazis spies knew he was going to be starting this fire, so they also positioned themselves to also start fires at the same time as him, which is what some people expect you to believe. The mighty Parliament building of Germany went up in flames. Martis was apprehended on the scene. I have read both outside on the street and inside the building. He has the lighter on him, He's scantily clad because he's been burning his clothes. He is sweaty and panting. And the most damning part is that he confessed immediately. He also immediately said that he'd done it alone and that he had no associations with the Communist Party, and that he had destroyed the Reichschag to protest against quote a political institution which was being used as an instrument to submit the workers to the yoke of a fascist dictatorship. But you know what isn't being used to yoke the workers to a fascist dictatorship. Approximately thirty percent of our advertisers, because nice, you get the idea of mixed feelings. Whatever, here's ads and we're back. So what absolutely is true about this action is that the Nazis are ready to take advantage of it. It seems somewhat obvious that they didn't plan it. They were just prepared for it as a probability. After all, they had a piece of legislation that had been written by their far right predecessors, as this is the piece of legislation to pass if the left is any kind of massive direct action. So once someone on the left did a massive direct action, they put it into place the thing that had been written a year ago within hours present. Hindenberg blows up, No, that's still the zeppelin I tried to write. Okay, I'm going to go completely off script and tell you I'm going to call this a fable because I learned this ten years ago and I have not fact check it since.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard about how Nazis ruined airship travel?
Speaker 2: I have not. I don't know if this is a joke or not, but I wish those things still existed now. The idea of sitting in a zeppelin going over the ocean. Sounds really cool, and I'm not a steampunk so it just sounds neat. I know.
Speaker 1: It's like way Greener I used to be a steam bunk, so he used to write about airship travel and how Nazis ruined it. Because again I'm running off ten year old notes here, so treat this as a fable, even though I believe it to be true. The head of like airship travel in Weymar, Germany was someone who cared about I think he was a centrist, but I'm not sure. He wasn't like a radical, and he wasn't a Nazi, was anti Nazi, and he cared about safety. And so the Nazis got rid of him, and then they put in place this like total yes man who just did whatever the fucking Nazis said, cut back on costs. Again, no comparison to what's happening now where corporations come in and like start changing the way that airline safety works. That obviously would never happen and no whistleblowers will get shot whatever anyway, So the Nazis are like, wait, did they.
Speaker 2: Take a submarine to the Titanic? I'm lost? Was that what happened? Oh?
Speaker 1: No saying how the bow? Oh right, no, okay, So the Nazi fucking started cheaping out on airship safety and the Hindenburg was like, actually reasonably safe. I know there's the whole like hydrogen versus helium argument blah blah blah blah blah, but I'm not gonna get into that. And then the Hindenburg went down and the entire world looked at it and was like, oh shit, airships are scary. They burn again, old information here. I mean it was like a little less than one hundred people in the Hindenburg, and like, I think a third of them died, and like that's a lot. I don't want to be in a I don't want to be in a space where a third of people die. Right, I will take a falling airship that is on fire, or I have a two thirds chance of safety over a fucking airplane crashing. Yeah, any day.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking, Like one crash, then no more forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's more or less what happened. Again, based on information that I thought I was going to put into the script and then realize my script is already long enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And from a capitalist perspective, they're not cost efficient. You can't jam as much crap and people onto them and sell those tickets for overpriced amounts. Right, So that's another problem too.
Speaker 1: But it can be so green compared to airplane travel.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, yeah. They just kind of float along with very little propulsion required.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, I think I would be terrified to be on one. I'm gonna be real.
Speaker 3: Why how's it.
Speaker 2: Different even if it was packed with helium? I mean, it seems like that seems pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I mean the same reason I don't want to take a boat across the ocean, just like storms and shit. I don't know. I mean I bet if I like did it, I'd become fine with it, you know.
Speaker 3: The idea if it's a little bit overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not like man heights rule, you know, I'm more of a like Right, I can accept this.
Speaker 2: And it's really funny too when you think about Boy this is off script, but like World War One, some of the Zeppelins were used for bombing raids and such, and those things were notoriously hard to shoot down.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Allied pilots like.
Speaker 2: Oh, they were incredibly difficult, And.
Speaker 3: So I would think it was the opposite for some reason right.
Speaker 2: Alley pilots were die bombing on them and dropping bombs and stuff because these things were considered like the dreadnoughts of the sky. They were very hard to shoot down. So to go from this World War One militarized version to this theoretically civilian version that just blows up because someone like struck a match or whatever. That happened to the Hindenburg is like an example of where it could have been and where it went right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, Carl quote unquote not a steampunk casarta. We call you behind your back.
Speaker 2: As I rant about how cool zeppelins are.
Speaker 1: I know, but they are okay, you know, there's a couple things that they were right about.
Speaker 2: And you know what, cog wheels are cool too.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, but they yeah, not as design, not as design. That's where it all went downhill. So anyway, my dog is like, would you please shut up about this? He will just have to deal with it. So within hours of this fire, President Hindenberg invoked that Article forty eight that I'm in charge no matter what, even though we pretend we have a democracy thing, and the cabinet enacted the decree of the right President for the protection of the people in the state. Hitler said, quote, if this fire, as I believe, is the work of communists, then we must crush out this murderous pest with an eye iron fist, which is like not very nice of a way to phrase things. I'm starting to think this Hitler guy is no good. And it's so interesting, right because the Nazi claim is that this fire was going to be a signal for a larger uprising. It wasn't. It should have been, but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: This again, thinking about like history and understanding the past and now or then and even now, like when John Brown instigated his raid against Harper's ferry, as we said in an episode you said an episode one of this you know, the South said this is just the beginning of many abolitionists that are going to do this very thing, and that's why we must do something about it. And that didn't actually appear to be true. Like John Brown had funding and had allies and had he had a little army, right, but there wasn't like this upswing of like massive amounts of abolitionist white abolitionist violence that was John Brown was a bit anomaloist in that regard, like and so here you see after the Reichstag fire, the same exact thing. This is just the beginning of many communist uprisings that are going to strike across all of Greater Germany. Yeah, that same tool of fear. First of all, knowing that you're doing wrong, right, you were an authoritarian piece of shit as the planter class was, and knowing you're doing wrong and the fear of people calling you on it through direct action is a powerful tool for more authoritarianism.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And so with this law that they passed, there's no freedom of speech, no freedom assembly, no privacy, no freedom of press. They legalized phone tapping and stealing mail. There's also no autonomy of states. Any state government can be removed. No warrants are necessary to search houses, and they expand the death penalty to include arson. Around four thousand people were rounded up immediately without warrants, and I don't know the fate of all of them. I know the fate of one of the anarchists I read about who died in a concentration camp a year later. And they rounded up four thousand communist, social democrats and anarchists. This was, as near as I can tell, the day that ended a ground militant organizing in Germany. Survivors fled the country or went underground. After this, All of this happened a week before the new parliament whatever elections for government, and these elections still happened, which is kind of impressive that despite these roundups, the Communists won eighty one seats out of six hundred total. Despite arresting all the competition, the Nazis still didn't win a majority. Well, they still had a plurality, right. The Nazis didn't need a majority though, because what they did is now they had a list of eighty one new people to arrest, and they arrested all of the Social Democrat and Communist ministers and therefore were able to control everything. And the way that they were able to control everything is that there's a center party, the Catholic Center Party, and overall the Catholics don't like Hitler and Nazis, and some of them do really brave things, right, but they're a centrist party, and so the Nazis are like, well, all right, we won't ban Catholicism if you just let us take power. And the Catholics are like, okay, and let them take power. So not the strongest moment from the Centrists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but never underestimate the power of the concept of the perception of self preservation, right, like, yeah, totally, so often that carrots is dangled. Yeah, but it's almost always a lie. It's only self preserved mostly usually self preservation only for a little while. Right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's so funny that we keep falling into that trap, even though there's that fucking famous poem you know, or famous speech it gets turned into a poem. But on March twenty third, nineteen thirty three, they passed the Enabling Act. The basically, the Nazis and the Catholics pass the Enabling Act to give Hitler absolute power, making Parliament meaningless. They're like, uh, we vote ourselves to suck. Did not matter. Then, when President Hindenberg died of natural causes, he was eighty seven in August nineteen thirty four. He actually, right before this, he was like, before Hindenburg died, he was like, y'all should fucking you suck? Fuck you, you're being a little bit too much. I'm gonna I'm thinking about doing stuff to you. And in response, they had the Night of Long Knives. This actually gets a little bit beyond what I totally understand because I didn't put it in my script. But he dies, he's eighty seven. Hitler announces that the president and chancellor roles are being combined and he becomes the Fure, and he's like, you know, I want this to be like legal. So on August nineteenth, nineteen thirty four, there's a plebisite basically, when you like get the entire country to vote on an issue to see how people feel about it, to see if they approved of the merging of the two officers and having Hitler be the Fure. Ninety six percent of the population turned out to vote, and ninety percent of the people voted yes. Well, this was the least fair. This was not a fair election. He probably would have won to be real, right, there are stormtroopers stationed at all the pole stations. Some ballots were pre marked, yes, spoiled ballots were just marked into the yes category. More people voted than there were people to vote in some places.
Speaker 3: Surryan, So you can I just have a quick TANGI really quick. My grandma I'm Syrian, and my grandma was a teacher in Syria, and teachers in Syria are civil workers, and so when hafs I said Basher's dad was elected in quotes, they had an election and the civil servants were counting the votes, and she said that she was told to drop the no in the trash and put yes in the yes pile, and so democracy, Yeah, that's that sounds like the fair good election.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but ninety six percent of there's no such thing as ninety six percent voter turnout. And getting a situation would ninety percent of people agree on anything is a human impossibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe ninety percent of people with a gun literally their head will say yes, yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: But like in terms of like a legitimate there's there's no way. There's just that doesn't exist. That is outside of the realm of human physics.
Speaker 1: And like I'm impressed Hamburg voted twenty percent no and Berlin voted like eighteen or sixteen percent no or something, which means that a much higher percentage of people did vote no. Right, And it is one of these things where it's like you think the liberals won't act where I'm ready to vote tomorrow if I could, you know, like it's not as clearly not enough voting no in this blood site did not stop Hitler.
Speaker 3: If anything, I would think that they would target the people that said noo, like they did with the people that were elected.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it actually seemed like there is actually some bravery in going out of voting now in this Bloo site, because like you just watched them murder a whole bunch of people and their stormtroopers around, and like, no one knows quite how bad it's about to get, but they can suspect, you know, they've had a long time to see what. Hitler was pretty upfront about his plans, you know, but.
Speaker 3: He was hitlering from the beginning. He made it into a verb earlier, and I thought that was funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it was probably very hard at that time, to be honest, like coming out of the violin our Republic, which was this really like libertine progressive space, like one of the most interesting bohemian times we've seen in human history. To go from that to full on conservative dictatorship authoritarianism is a hard thing to comprehend, Like, how did my country that was, you know, this free place where going to all sorts of bars and drag shows and all these things that were going on in Bohemian Weimar suddenly become this. It's hard to perceive if you were living through that, it would be hard. Unerstaid that it can't happen here, that's impossible, Like I bet that was. There was a lot of that going on for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. So that's how Hitler came to power. But this isn't really an episot about how Hitler got to power. I just had to explain it because I had to explain the reichstrog So what matter guy Marnus, and why does history seem as a Nazi agent? And why at the very beginning did I say that I'm going to blame homophobia communists, Well, because the Communists of the reason that everyone thinks is a Nazi agent. Because as soon as the fire was set, the Communists and the social democrats, rather than blaming the Nazis for taking power and being like, hey, it's probably good that people are fighting that we're bending over backwards to see you could throw Marnus under the bus the fastest.
Speaker 3: To kind of separate themselves from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was a little less like, don't worry, Nazis were nice, were your friends? It was a little bit that, right, and it was also just a like wactual thing. It was a lot of bit that even though they were like still anti Nazi, right. A group of communists in Paris collectively wrote a book in nineteen thirty three. So there's like, he gets arrested right away, right, he's arrested on the scene, and they have this like other thing where a bunch of like lefties have this like other trial for him in a different country where they're like, let's find out what really happened. But it's not they're not finding out what really happened. They released this book nineteen thirty three at the end of the year while the trial's going on, or maybe a little before the trial goes on. It's called The Brown Book of the Reichstrog Fire and Hitler Terror. And this book is a best seller in twenty four languages and is the reason that people to this day believe that the Reichstrog Fire was a false flag attack. The core of their argument about why Marnus was a Nazi agent is that they say Marnus was gay, and in fact, all the Nazis bunch of gays. The Nazis are nothing but a bunch of decadent homosexual criminals.
Speaker 3: That was part of their argument.
Speaker 1: That's like the whole of that's their main argument. Wow, that's bold. We don't know whether or not Marnus was gay. It seems possible. There is the around this time, you get the report that I've covered on this show. I can't remember the name of it, in like nineteen thirty something like, there was a report of study of human history sexuality that found out that about thirty percent of maybe like thirty or forty percent of men have had homosexual experiences. And then you know, so like maw might have been. We do know he was in love with a woman once. That doesn't mean much. We also know that he was a broke, traveling vagabond, and sex work seems like a way he absolutely could have made money as well as anything else. I would want him to be gay. Being gay as cool as hell. Yeah, many of our advertiser it's not June anymore. No, no advertisers are pretending to be gay anymore.
Speaker 2: But you know what, no, this is, this is July. So now they're about disability.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well he's he's blind. Oh so he's blind.
Speaker 2: There you go. So they support him because of his disabilities. He's his disability and he's blind. So there is that's that's what the ad should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, I actually do think that, like, these months are not bad. What's bad is the cynicism with which capitalist Oh.
Speaker 2: No, no, I hope that wasn't interpreted that way. No, it's no.
Speaker 1: I think we all know that.
Speaker 3: I think I think our listeners would know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the corporate ucer pation of it, right, It's that it's that good guy badge nonsense that they put on their commercials for one month only in this country while they're doing something horrible in Saudi Arabia. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's that classic beam of like a warship or something dropping bombs and it's like Republican Democrat and then it's like there's a pride flag on the Democrat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all it really means, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think your listeners are smart enough to know that we don't mean it in any bad way.
Speaker 1: But I hope they're smart enough to know that we believe with all of our hearts that these goods and services are absolutely good and we're back. So the core argument in this book is rooted in homophobia and not fact. They basically made up an elaborate fairy tale, Hey, fairy tale, sorry, that a bunch of gay stormtroopers set the fire and Marnus's pimp had made him take the fall for it, which he was willing to do because gay men are pitiful and desperate for affection. He was de sperate for the affection of these gay Nazi stormtroopers, and also that they would out him as a homosexual if he didn't take the fall, And like, look, it's probably a crime to be homosexual. I'm willing to bet it's more of a crime to set the Reichstag on fire.
Speaker 3: But also like he probably wouldn't give a shit just based on his history.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, No, this is all made up. It's complete, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: I mean, like that argument is just so thin and flimsy, so stupid, Like he threw a cop out a window. We think he fucking cares if you call him gay in public?
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, you know right, he'll either agree or throw you out a window, right, Like so.
Speaker 2: I just want to know. It was this brown book published by Time Life. It was like the little thing you put on your on your coffee table. The time life series of Communists, fire and Arson.
Speaker 1: I you know, I actually it's funny because the response book that they later write a different people defending him right is called the Red Book, and so it's like there's like something going on with how they name these things that I just like don't totally get, but there's nothing that holds up in this book. During the months when Marnus was supposedly plotting with gay Nazis to do gay Nazi crimes, he was in Dutch prison for breaking the windows of that agency that wouldn't fund his library for the unemployed. They also claimed that he'd been kicked out of the Communist Party for being suspected of being a police informant Comrade after Comrade came forward to just be like, that's not true. No one has ever thought that. Say what you want about this man, and I'm gonna mostly say positive things except some of the strategic decisions. He was committed to socialism with the core of his soul, Like this is like one of the most evil hatchet jobs in history. Should Marness have started that fire? Probably not in retrospect. Is it morally justifiable. Absolutely, it's morally justifiable. They're the Nazis, Like we should set their things on fire. They're the Nazis.
Speaker 2: Like, right, but it doesn't mean it all right, I agreed, But it also doesn't mean it's tactically sound, right, that's the mistake totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he was on the right track when he was trying to spur mass action. You know. Yes, I know people who've gone to jail because they have felt that their attempts to integrate with a larger social movement, to participate in things have not gone well. And then they've been like, well what do I do? And they've been like, well maybe I should torch some cop cars or whatever, you know, and then gone to prison and like, I don't know, it's just a pattern. I see.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he tried to motivate an entire group of people that he thought were going to actually have the backbone to do something, and when they don't, he's left with this, considering his life's experiences, I could I could see in his mind he's left with this, like, well, someone has to do something, and I guess that's me yep, right, And that's what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, And sometimes you're John Brown and sometimes you're Marnus.
Speaker 2: You know, although John Brown wasn't alone, as we said, right, he was funded and backed, so he wasn't totally isolated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, Actually that's actually a very good point. And like and Marnus had a like it was part of a movement, but was kind of acting outside that move meant even more than John Brown was. That's a very good point. Now, the Nazis would have one hundred percent consolidated their power regardless. I'm going to talk about that a little bit more later. This was the excuse that they happened to use. I personally do not think history would look fundamentally different if Marnus had stayed home that night. I think we're talking about the difference of a week or two. In fact, the Nazis had talked about kind of waiting until after that next election before they started arresting everyone, because then they know who to arrest.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess you could say what he did was he turned out to be an accelerationist for what was an inevitable reality. And if you know, if there wasn't an arson fire, they would have picked and chosen something, or they would have just created something out of whole cloth. It didn't have to be an event, would have to be like we know of a plot. They would have just made it happen.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, done.
Speaker 3: Joke about him being an accelerationist when he didn't have one.
Speaker 2: That's true. He was an accelerationist without a can of Zippo lighter fluid, Like yeah, that's that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. So his trial, five people were put on trial for the Reichstag fire. It was Marnus aka the one who did it and confessed to doing it and would have done it again, and then some other people, the leader of the elected Communists in the parliament, and three Bulgarian Communists. The Communist accusation against Marnis was that he was a gay Nazi wanted the gay Nazis to gay Nazi like him. The Nazi accusation against Marnis is that he was a Communist party member who had been part of a massive communist conspiracy to overthrow the government and institute communism, which is closer to the truth. He was a council Communist who was hoping that his individual act, or possibly a small group act will never know, would spark a popular revolt against fascism. The Nazis had wanted to get the Social Democrats blamed for it too, but it didn't work. The Social Democrats in Germany are just so astoundingly centrist that no one would buy this. They were a huge reason in the public's mind as to why the country didn't fall to communism in nineteen eighteen. Nineteen nineteen was the Social Democrats, so they were like, nah, could have been them. The public was willing to blame the Communist Party. This is almost equally absurd. The German Communist Party was parliamentary to its core at this point and only believed in mass action and not individual action. The Communists and the Social Democrats both came out to condemn the fire, despite having been saying for years, oh, the Nazis aren't existential threats to democracy and human life. But they're like, you can't set their stuff on fire.
Speaker 3: Peacefully protest, that's all you gotta do. Just peacefully protest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stand in your free speech zone with your sign and it'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Exactly so they know who you are. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no throwing rocks, no burden shit, history will change eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you throw cops through windows. What the fuck? I used to make pins that said hucking rocks at cops is not a crime, and I made them as little pins. And then one time a cop was giving me a three hundred dollars ticket for sitting on a sidewalk eating a sandwich. What And I was like, oh God, he reads my pin, my life is about to get so much worse. But he did not read the pin.
Speaker 3: That would be a moment where my stomach would be in my throat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I was pretty used to being hassled by cops at that point in my life. Three hundred dollars for sitting on a sidewalk, Yeah, it's a way to try and get people to move out of town. They're like, we don't want homeless people in this town. We're going to give you three hundred dollar ticket. We know you can't pay it, so you'll probably leave rather than pay it. Little did they know I was like actually housed. I had just gotten food from a food cart and was just like sitting on the sidewalk. But I still dress like I'm a crustpunk. But like, you know, anyway, but you didn't have a dog, did you? No? No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean It's my understanding is that, besides having companionship, the dog frequently makes it harder for them to fuck with you in such a simple way because they don't want to deal with the paperwork about the animal.
Speaker 1: Oh it makes some sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's what I've been told from Krusty's like around here. But I don't know if that's fact or fiction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of myth building that we do when we live in strange lifestyles. But it might be true.
Speaker 2: You know, I wouldn't doubt. The bureaucracy is an annoying thing to deal with, and I could see some lazy cogoing. I don't want to deal with freaking animal control or whatever, so it makes the next person to pick on easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So together, the Communists, the social Democrats, and the Nazis all agreed this fire was the greatest crime of our time and Marinus is the worst person in history. They disagree about why he's the worst person, right, some of them are like, he's a Nazi, he's a Kami, right O, Like he's gay? Yeah, oh he is even worse. Yeah, no, totally. The other four co defendants had alibis and had nothing to do with it, and even at this early stage under Nazi control, they were exonerated. The whole time that he's on trial, fully aware that the rest of his supposed comrades are throwing him under the bus, he never says a single word against any of his Code defendants, despite the words that they say against him. I want to quote an anarchist newspaper from nineteen thirty three talking about that, like during the trial quote, he has said nothing that might in any way damage his Code defendants. He has not even tried an elaborate exposition of his political and social views at the trial, most probably for fear that they might be interpreted as akin to those of the four communists the German government is trying to link to the Reichstag fire, who he wishes an all justice to exonerate. So he's like not even going to get into the like, well, I'm a comedy, but like not that kind of COMI because he's afraid that it'll be used against the communists. You know, his co defendants did not offer him the same grace. One called him an narcosyndicalist, which I think they I think it was like derogatory, like in you know, I just think it's funny. It's fine be an narcosyndicalist. One of the Bulgarian communists fought for him getting the death penalty. Wow, he wanted the Nazis to kill this council communist because he'd quote worked against the proletariat. Jail guy. Yeah, hate that guy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure, I bet you noe know. Those people had a fun rest of their life regardless of this.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's true. And I'm going to talk about what happened to the people who wrote the Brown Book in a moment.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah.
Speaker 1: For the most part, the libertarian socialist movement aka the anarchist, the anarcho syndicalists, the council Communists, the left communist blah blah blah blahlah. The people don't like Bolsheviks. They were the ones defending him. They set up defense committees and shit in a bunch of different countries. And the first day of the trial, folks published the Red Book. And this was a refutation of all of the lives of the Brown Book. It is filled with all of the character references of everyone coming forward and being like no You're just entirely wrong. You've entirely made this up. This man is a very committed socialist. I haven't read The Red Book yet, and I'm terrified to read it because of like it might also be like, in no way was he gay. That would be terrible. He's good and not bad. So I'm like afraid of finding that. But what I do know is that and Weimar, Germany, Magnus Hirschfeld, one of the famous researchers of human sexuality and history, had once written about the anarchists, being like, oh, that's where that's that's where you find the gay lefties. All the gays are anarchists, so you know, I'm sure there's homophobia. But if you've read The Red Book, message me, but I won't notice it because it's kind of get filtered into my unread messages on Instagram, which is the only public way to reach me. And I don't read my unread messages from different people I don't know, so it won't work. But you can try, and I sometimes look whatever. Anyway, Honestly, if you've read The Red Book, you probably like know me through various connections to not that many people in this world who are likely to have ever read this.
Speaker 2: All five of them are already direct friends or contacts.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, anyway. As for the editors of the Brown book that he's a gay Nazi fairy tale, there is about two different ways that like Stalinist communists in the nineteen thirties and forties died. One of them is that you get killed by Hitler. The other one is that he had killed by Stalinists. It's a crapshoot as to who has killed more communists, Stalin or Hitler, because these two were killed by other Stalinists. One of them was murdered by his fellow Stalinists in nineteen forty the other went on to hunt down socialist and anarchists during the Spanish Civil War before he was then turned on by his own side and hanged in Prague in nineteen fifty two for being counter revolutionary or whatever. The fuck is not a good idea to be an authoritarian. As for Marnus, he was convicted and he was sentenced to death. On January tenth, nineteen thirty four, three days before his twenty fifth birthday. They marched him out to the guillotine and took off his head. Damn that man did a lot in fucking twenty four years. Yeah, the Nazis refused his family's request for the body, and he was buried twice as deep as usual in an anonymous grave under a stone, devoid of any inscription. He was actually exhumed last year in twenty twenty three, because they wanted to run toxicology reports on his body, because there's all of this, Like, people still argue about this a lot, right now, right, what.
Speaker 3: Would they what would toxicology show?
Speaker 1: So he was so quiet and like almost sleepy during his trial that people thought he might have been drugged by the Nazis. When they exhumed his body to look, they found no positive proof of that, but they weren't. You can't prove negative proof on one hundred year old corpse, right right, right, So we do not know. It makes sense to me this story of this, like wild adventurer who is going blind, who knows his time is done, who is just trying to stay quiet to not let anyone else get in trouble for what he's done, and goes to his grave. I don't need any convincing that he was drugged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, accepting his fate, but at the same time being brave for those around him. Yeah, and the potential I don't know if this was going through his mind at all, but being a martyr really, like, I mean, all those things could have been going through his mind.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, he also knew what a hatchet job had been done on him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: His fellow Communists like used their defense argument was basically the Brown Book. They were like, now fuck him though he's a Nazi. You know, that's got to be heartbreaking. Like a couple of different articles I've read about have talked about like the second death of him or you know, because he's like also just killed by history. And when the Nazi government fell after Carl, would you say that's the largest military effort in the history of humanity?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, The Eastern Front has never been ever seen before and hopefully never again. But World War Two, the Eastern Front in particular, but all of it combined is absolutely the most the largest conflict ever seen easily.
Speaker 1: Yeah. After everyone got together and destroyed a lawful lot more buildings than just the one. They put the Nazis on trial, and the prominent Nazi Goring put it bluntly, no Nazis were involved in the burning of the Reichstag and the Communist ministers would have been arrested eventually anyhow. In fact, he said it would have been more useful if they had waited a few weeks because they didn't know all the Communist ministers yet, because the elections hadn't happened yet. In nineteen fifty nine, a journalist wrote like seven hundred pages of evidence about Marnus had indeed acted alone, and at that point it became the general view of historians. Marnus's brother Yan kept fighting for his brother's legacy. Marnus was tried and retried again and again. After his death in nineteen seventy six, his sentence was reversed to eight years because they're like, well, he burned a building. You're not supposed to do that. You know, wait, how does that am? I? It's just for history. Oh, he's dead, right, Like they they're trying to be like, well, let's find out what the real truth and justice would be, right, okay, you know they're LARPing, yeah, totally justice system, yeah okay. In nineteen eighty he was acquitted, and then in nineteen eighty one they reversed his acquittal and he was convicted again to eight years in prison. I feel like he's been through enough, you know, I know. And then in two thousand and eight he was finally pardoned. And then in twenty thirteen a book came out that was like, no, he was totally a Nazi. And I haven't read that book yet, but it's like, I think its core argument is that, like the fire was started in multiple places, blah blah blah, not physically possible for one man, which is how I first ran across the Like, this man would not have told you if he had friends there. Yeah, there is no part of me that thinks that this man couldn't keep a secret to his grave. Like you do not look at this man and say, here's someone who hasn't thought about what's involved in revolutionary struggle, the person who's been struggling since he was well born, but ten you know, Yeah, either.
Speaker 2: One of those situations is just as plausible as we said earlier. And also the fire succeeded in damaging the Reichs dog significantly. But yeah, it was also such a state of ill prepared to do what he planned to do too, which is oddly and I would think if there was more people involved, they would have had even though they had success, they would have even more success. I don't have to put that in a better way.
Speaker 1: I think that you're probably right. And that's like how I ended up. Like I started off kind of doing this research being like, oh, because I knew enough to know he was like a pretty solid comrade, and that also he knew how to keep his mouth shut. So I was like, oh, there's other people and he kept his mouth shut. Whatever you because I've run across that time and time again in my history research, right, But no, you're right. Like by the end, I'm like, no, it's probably him alone, And I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, right, maybe we will find out. There's no part of me that believes that he was a Nazi agent, But maybe we'll find out that the Nazis like ran over and start some more fires or or knew he was going to do it, and like they.
Speaker 3: Probably saw him do it at nine pm and they nine thirty, maybe through a matching or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, at least if this had happened nowadays, ring door camera would have provided the footage to the call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, and he still would have done it because he was not afraid of I mean, he tried to swim the channel twice just to get enough money to like, fucking yeah walk to China with you know me.
Speaker 3: I feel like this might be another reason why he didn't make it a huge effort to defend himself, because I feel like he's been through, like interacted with enough authorities to realize, like, I wouldn't do any good. Yeah, like he kind of accepted his fate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, totally. And that is the story of Marnus, And it is the story of how the Reichschrog fire was not an inside job, and how almost all the time, when people want to say something's a conspiracy or that it is an inside job, they're wrong. And when we assume that something was an inside job, we're often taking an agency away from people who make bad decisions for good reasons, even if we were the opposite team. Right. Imagine those J sixers, right, They're all being accused by their own side of being false flag. And I think that's funny as shit because I fucking hate them all, But like it's also almost heartbreaking, right because they're like, we're doing it. Come on, everyone, we're gonna defend democracy by staging a coup or whatever fucking's going through their heads. And then everyone's immediately like, ah, those are Antifa, Like like imagine how heartbreaking that would be. And I just like get so like I don't know, and this is like not universally true. There are false flag attacks, right, But what I think usually happens is that everyone is ready to play the hands that they have been dealt. And the Nazis absolutely had a contingency plan for exactly this situation and then used it. So whenever you're like, ah, they were so ready to capitalize on the following yeah, we should be ready to capitalize on bad things. That happened was when I used to get docks by Nazis. I just like use it to sell more albums because I was like, oh, yeah, these people are trying to murder me and everyone I love. They hate my music video. You want to see my music video? Fuck it? You know, we play the fucking hands we're delt like yeah, it doesn't mean I made up my own I mean whatever to get like three thousand views on YouTube. No one actually thinks this, but like.
Speaker 2: Well that's I think essentiallyest thing I think, like maybe it's humanity in general, Maybe it's just the way our brains work, Maybe it's societal who knows what the how these we get to where we get to. But I think the simple thing is is that when it has been proven without a doubt or close to it, that it was some form of conspiratorial action, then that's worth considering, right, But it should not be the jump to default.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The default should be the simplest answer possible. And that's probably what happened. And if it was dumb to boot, it was probably even more correct because people do dumb stuff. I'm not saying he did something dumb or not.
Speaker 1: I'm saying no, I mean Marus kind of did something dumb. I just it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I'm just saying that. I'm just saying, simplest answer with a touch of dumb is a very human thing. Yeah, And that's where we should just default to totally.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the restag Fire episode that I was like, man, am I doing this? But I'm doing it, and I did it, and I hope we'll see you all next week when we talk about more cool people who did either cool stuff or questionable stuff.
Speaker 2: Sometimes one or the other Right, they don't even know when they're doing the action. It's like how the action turns out, turns out to be if it was cool or not right, I mean to a degree.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, glooping back to John Brown, his failure turned out to be only effective in that in the long run it made it work in a different way. But that could have easily gone to just like this idiot got himself killed, like that could have been the end of it, right, totally, So this could have also turned out differently if that, If things had just lined up differently, or they hadn't thrown them under the bus, who knows what could have come of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if Germany had had a civil war to try and stop Nazis, world would have looked pretty different. They might have lost the civil war, but they would have fucked up the Nazis in the process.
Speaker 2: Well, when you reach up to that top shelf and pull out that jar that says chaos on it and open that lid, you literally don't know what's coming out. You just don't like that's you open the It is what's advertised on the tin, And that's totally Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Totally. Well, if people want to open up a jar of the YouTube, I got nothing, Carl, what are you up to?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean my normal thing. If you haven't seen me already, you can find me on YouTube in range TV, or you can find all my decentralized distribution points, which I've been talking about for nine years now in range dot TV. Even though everyone watches on YouTube. There's an example of something like that. Boy, if we had been decentralizing control of the media for the last nine years, maybe we'd be in a better place today.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a whole other conversation. But anyways, I do a lot of topics based on firearms, historical content and the intersectionality of the social implications of those things combined for good and bad. So if that's a topic that interest you that's different than the normal firearms stuff, you might find out there in range dot TV. And thank you for having me here. This was a really I didn't know what we were going to be talking about, but I'm really honored and thankfully you brought me onto the show again. Yeah, especially for this topic. It's a thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I was like sitting there and I was like, Oh, Carl this week, I was like, ah, it's perfect because I was like, I mean, it's not a gun episode, right, but it is absolutely a you know, history of World War two and history of conflict, and you know the social stuff that comes before the larger military conflict and things. So I was I was really excited to have you. If folks who are listening want to play a tabletop role playing game I wrote, it's called Pan Number City. I wrote it with two other people, and it is available. I was gonna say wherever you get, but well, I guess it's probably available wherever you get books. Should we probably should buy it from a game seller or from us at Strangers in the Tangled Wilderness. If you just look up pannumber City and it's fun and you can play in a kind of vimar our style but high fantasy revolt against a god king. Everyone's like running around on motorcycles that explode and playing jazz even though everyone's starving, and people hang out and talk to rats. If you want to watch me play this game with Jamie Loftus playing a rat king someone who hangs out and talks to rats, you can find that on YouTube. If you look up a number city. That's what I want to plug. I really like the game I wrote, Otherwise I wouldn't have written it. Nice.
Speaker 3: Merger also wrote a book that you should pre order. That's what I'm gonna plug.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the Sapling Cage and duh. See y'all next week. Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.