Speaker 1: Welcome one and all to the Hammer Territory podcast. My name is Jan Coleman. Hope where you are and wherever you are listening, you are having a great week. We are coming up. It is now July, and of course what that means when it comes to the baseball season is basically it's one of the you know a few times where it feels like Christmas wherever you are because the trade deadline is literally a month away and we have with us. Cannot thank him enough for being with us. One of the best when it comes to baseball, inside news and covering all things baseball. Robert Murray, a fan sided in Foul Territory. He was with us in the off season. Gracious enough to join us again, Robert. Pleasure to have you again, sir.
Speaker 2: No, it's good to be here with you.
Speaker 3: I gotta apologize to everybody last time while I was on the show, I got your hopes up for a picture.
Speaker 2: Did not have a mapping. Sean gave me flag for him before the show.
Speaker 3: I want to wear it because I never want to mislead you guys, so again I'm wearing it.
Speaker 2: But good to be here again with you boys.
Speaker 1: Absolutely nothing on you that's Hey, the purpose of that, the reason that that did not occur, just gives us more content to talk about now, and that's what we're going to dive into as we mix it up, engineered by fasten All. So of course, the quote unquote Flack was all in good fun, because Robert, you're one of the most trusted sources when it comes to keeping us at the general public Braves country in general, you know, up to date on what's going on, and so that's what we're going to get into. But first let's kind of get your assessment, you know, of where the Braves are. The race, of course, had a wonderful start to the season April and may came into June. They've kind of fallen flat, you know, over the past month. But what is clearly there is that their goal to contend for a World Series has not changed and the need for them to be active with not only maybe one major move, but multiple major moves at the trade deadline, it's become even more of a necessity. What are your general assessments of the Braves as we're month out from the trade deadline, as we kind of look and see what they potentially could do to improve this club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a team that is tremendously talented overall.
Speaker 3: Obviously you have some high end stars who are also sideline at the same time too, but they've also had some really nice value editions in the offseason. Marisio Dubon exceeded expectations. Dona Smith has been a really nice ad there. But they started super strong and it's come back down to earths. They went on a big skid to end this past month and it's got a lot of people wondering exactly what does this outlook like for this team going forward? And I'm still optimistic about it. Like you have Ronald the Counya Junior probably coming back right after the All Star Game. You have Drake Baldwin who is probably like you got to imagine, he's going to get better as he gets as he's working through some kinks here. And you also, like the one question, the big question that I have here is what exactly do you have an Austin Riley at this point, because his struggles are well documented. They signed into that big two hundred plus million dollars contract. Can he get back to that prime form that he was in or what? But overall, I'm still optimistic about this team. I think anthoposs is going to be very aggressive at the deadline here, and it is going to be I think Atlanta's for sure one of the top teams to wash here because you look across baseball, obviously the Dodgers of the Dodgers, the Phillies are surging, the Brewers are still being the Brewers somehow. In the American League, you don't have any team that's necessarily running away with it. This is this championship is there for the taking, and I think these gms have to be super aggressive, and I expect Anthoppolos.
Speaker 1: To be one. So it kind of, you know, in honor of our segment here mixing it up. You're kind of getting the sense of what, you know what the very least, it just seems out of necessity and thoughtless is going to mix it up this year. You know, he's kind of being, you know, held back a bit on making those major moves in season like he did when he was in Toronto. But it certainly seems like many factors this year point two him going out making maybe not one, but even two highly significant moves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't know, like if it'll end up being Enterrek school type because if he makes a big move, I would expect it tend to be in somebody who's controllable, And if you can get somebody who's controllable, I think that would be something that makes a whole lot of sense for Atlanta. But I do expect Anthopolis to be going through a bunch of different aisles here, whether it's the pitching side, whether it's the offense. I expect him to be very versatile with what he's trying to do here and if he has Like the thing though here with Anthopolis is he's not going to just make a move just to make a move. It has to make sense, and in previous years, it's been getting a Jock Peterson type, it's been getting some different guys of the deadline who aren't necessarily like the most flashy names, and it's really worked for him.
Speaker 2: So I give I trust Anthopolis here. I think this offseason.
Speaker 3: Reignited some of that fan base has trusted him because in previous years with them missing the postseason, that obviously frustrated a lot of people.
Speaker 2: But I think think he's the right got to get this thing done, and I'd.
Speaker 3: Expect him to make at least some bigger additions, But I don't know if it's going to necessarily be like that big splash byit it means.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about Scooble for a second, Robert, because that's the name. Obviously every Braves fan a lot, I mean, not just Brace fans, fans all over baseball. The first question I want to ask you is this, because will the Braves trade for three schoobl really doesn't matter unless the Detroit Tigers decide to move him. They're right on the edge. I think they're like six games back of the wild Card. Do you think Detroit is gonna sell? First of all, I guess the most important question, and if so, just what you've heard, what you know?
Speaker 2: What are the odds?
Speaker 4: Do you think the Braves would be one of the teams that you know could potentially make that deal.
Speaker 3: I think that the Tigers really want to compete, which is why schoobl trade is not imminent.
Speaker 2: They're going to try to hold this thing out as long as they can before they have to make that determination.
Speaker 3: And I think in the ideal world for that, they'd be in a position where they compete, where they have at least one more World Series run with School before it becomes a free agent and before it ends up leieving Detroit, because that would be stunned if he ends up returning there. But as far as the Braves go, I do think that there'll be one of the teams that checks in, that tries to potentially get something, or that tries to be like actually like firmly involved. But again, like as I said, I expect the Braves to try to if they I expect them to be involved, but I also expect them if they can add somebody who's controllable. I think that'd be something that would be really smart for them, just so they have some long term certainty, but also too, like if you have the chance of adding schoobl and the value is right, and yeah, I get used to frigient at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: That maximizes the World Series chances.
Speaker 3: Which is why I think the Dodgers, the Braves, the Rays, the Brewers, like all these different teams makes sense for School in the end.
Speaker 2: Do I think the Tigers sell. I think they should.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is necessarily a World Series caliber team, which is like we saw the Angels really regret not trading Shoho Tani and they ended up missing on.
Speaker 2: In a Gally Junior Caman Arrow.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't expect the Tigers to get somebody like that return are a prospect of that caliber. But that being said, they should be getting a ton in return, and there's gonna be no shortage of teams.
Speaker 2: The need to be after school.
Speaker 1: Another positive narrative, Robert, than about the Braves. And I'm not sure as to what your extend is as far as covering the minor leagues and things like that, but the Braves seem to be one of the more notable emerging systems in baseball this year. And they also of course have a bit more you know, quality path to add to that as well in the draft. So it seems like that now more this year than in previous years. The Braves. Yeah, if they wind up going after schoobl and trying to match up with the Brewers or the Dodgers, okay that those systems may have a bit more. But the Braves, I think this year you could uh more confidently say they can pay the price for anybody that they want to get if they truly want to go after that guy. You can say that more this year than you have years in the past.
Speaker 2: No, totally, which is why I don't think anybody should be off. It's for the Braves.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a Redebt Meers or it's a Sonny Gray or Seth Lugo and Michael Waka or whoever else in the market, they can go out and get anybody who they really want to. But also, like we've seen the Braves like with that farm system, like it's definitely emerging here. But look at their history with calling up these prospects that have been in the minor leagues for them, been super successful, and then they ended up extending those guys to super like team friendly contracts at least for the most part. That's another element of this I think that we got to have in consideration too, is just the potential for I mean obviously high end play, but the ability to get them to team friendly contracts. I think that's something that would like I have in the back of my mind always when it comes to the Braves and their farm system here for sure, But like you all the pictures that I mentioned there, I expect the Braves to check in on a bunch of them. I'm sure I missed a couple when I went through that list, and we're gonna be hearing the Braves connected to so many different pictures, and.
Speaker 2: I would be again, I'm playing a day. Here's this game with what I'm about to say.
Speaker 3: But I would be surprised if we came out of the deadline on the Brazen I get at least one picture. I'd be really I'd be more surprised now than I was in the off season.
Speaker 1: We'd be surprised as well. But let's get a bit more into the potential pictures that could be on the Braves' radar. But before we do that, another word only excellent folks at fasten.
Speaker 4: All Fastenal Industrial Supplies Innovative Solutions want to learn more. Is it fastenal dot Com?
Speaker 5: People dehydration sucks, quints, electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 6: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon and.
Speaker 1: I don't like watermelon.
Speaker 6: I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next.
Speaker 5: Day, yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about, not only a product that tastes great, but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quins dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's QUI n ce dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the FEUD and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: So, Robert, you must have been reading my mind, you know, in that first segment when you mentioned the Sonny Grays as well as the Michael Wakas as well as the Seth logos, because those pictures that you mentioned probably are not on the same tier, you know as a tart school obviously, but they do have two factors that I think make them, you know, more likely targets for the Braves. I know Sonny Gray is I believe he has either a player option or some type of team option, maybe a mutual option for next year. But each of those pictures can be controlled next year. Waka and Seth Lugo for sure can be because of their contract. And let's be honest, for many years many around baseball probably have thought that Sonny Gray was a logical fit with the Braves, so if he came to us, he likely could sign an extension. I think that that is more of the tier that the Braves look at. Plus also you have to look at the Red Sox and the Royals being two of the teams right now that make the most sense to commit to be in sellers as soon as possible.
Speaker 3: No, totally, and obviously the Braves and the Red Sox have a history of working trades together where they did the Chris Saale deal.
Speaker 2: There's history there.
Speaker 3: But also like the fact that these guys are controllable, I think makes a ton of sense here. And Sonny and Gray's got the mutual option and those are always declined, so like you got to have that.
Speaker 2: In the back of your mind there.
Speaker 3: But I think if you look at the Royals, they would make a ton of sense as a potential trade partner here because Seth Lugo is still, in my eyes, one of the most underrated pitchers in ball. And last year, I remember there was a bunch of teams that were that were ready for him, Like there was a moment where I thought he was going to get traded. Then I was like, Okay, he's actually gonna get extended, and then it was traded, and then all of a sudden he signed the extension. Like it was super back and forth and the market was really big for him. And I think the Braves would make a ton of sense there. He is somebody who would be able to start a playoff game for them, and I think that's something that'd be important for Atlanta, but also so many other teams is they want a guy who they can depend on in those kind of games. So Lugo, he's obviously signed long term, He's got a relatively affordable contract. I remember last year there was like he obviously got a lot of money, but I talked to some other people who were like, Okay, yeah, still it's a lot, but it's it's affordable to take on for sure. And walk is still super underrated. He's not going to pitch deep into most games for you, but he's dependable, he's a veteran, he's controllable. I like it, So I think he would be that both of those guys would be a great fit. The Royals at this point do not want to sell, but I think they have to just wake up.
Speaker 2: And smell the coffee at some point, because this is.
Speaker 3: Just a team that that feels like they should sell and take it vant of what should be a seller's market.
Speaker 1: So of course that would maybe go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, you're fine.
Speaker 4: So on top of that, on top of the guys that we've talked about, there's a there's a team I want to ask about because this team operates in a weird fashion, at least to me. They did this big fire sale at the deadline last year and then kind of stopped. And that's the Minnesota Twins, because they, you know, they sold off so many pieces and basically went all the way to the end, except for like the last two, which have been Joe Ryan, Byron Buckston. Obviously, Pablo Lopez got hurt, so and I think that you know, the Twins are a little closer to the al is so jumbled it's really hard to determine whose buyers and sellers. But you know, I've heard both things. I've heard the Twins ownership really doesn't want to sell everybody, and then I've heard the front office wants to kind of complete the rebuilding and move Ryan and Buxton. Just in your opinion. Obviously, Ryan would make a lot of sense for the Braves. He's got under control for two years, it's a reasonable salary, it's kind of an Ndopoless type move. But do you think the Twins are actually gonna kind of finish the job on this rebuild and sell Buxton and Ryan or is this something the ownership just won't allow.
Speaker 3: I have a really hard time seeing Buston moved, and we've even seen their front office come out and say that they're not wanting to move him. So as of this point, unless something changes, I'm not factoring him into my trade deadline equation. But that being said, I've said it for years. I'm pretty sure I've said it even in the last time I was on the show. Buxton is such a great fit for an Atlanta You get him back home, like that just makes so much sense for all these sides. But it seems like he's going to be there to stay. But I totally agree with you on Joe Ryan, and I don't think there's a zero percent chance he's moved to this deadline. And I think they'd be really wise to listen on him to see exactly what's gonna end up being out there, because like I listed all these names before, and I missed Sandy al Contra, I missed Jose Soriano, like there's other names like this pitching market is going to be very deep, very extensive, but Joe Ryan is going to be one of the most intriguing guys. He's affordable, he's performed at a high level, and he's also too like that. I look at the Brewers as a similar pathway here because the Brewers when they had Josh Hater, Devin Williams, Corbyn Burns all for a year a year and a half left under contracts, they moved on from them and they got a good amount of value and that's how they ended up staying. In contention, I wonder if the Twins, Yeah, Freddy Prawle a good call, like I forgot about Freddy.
Speaker 2: P and like there's they can there are the.
Speaker 3: Twins can go in a similar fashion year with Joe Ryan, whos got a year and a half left on his contract, you can get a boatload for him. They could have gotten a boatload last year held onto him. But I think he's gonna get plenty of hits. I would not be surprised if he's moved, and I think he feels like a really really good fit.
Speaker 2: If, like if the Braves.
Speaker 3: Went out and got a big name at the deadline, I think Ryan makes as much sense as about anybody on the market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A similar team to the Twins, who just recently had a change in leadership, of course, was the Angels, and that's more notable for the Braves than most teams because paraman Ias and Avi having you know his past, you know, relationship with the Braves. Of course, that's who the Braves traded with most frequently. Perrym and I is now former Cardinals GM John moselac In maybe as a temporary GM, who knows he could be long term. But names like Jose Siriano you mentioned, read Debt Meers, Joe Dale, each of those guys controllable I feel that they could, you know, make sense as being maybe even a package deal for Alex and Thompless. But each of those three could certainly make sense in a lot of ways for the Braves. Perryman Iasen's there, you would think the Braves had a pretty good connection, maybe more than most teams with the Angels. But John Mozelic now being there may actually make it more likely that the Angels move those guys. What's the potential likelihood that those guys are moved, and you know your thoughts on those guys making sense for the Braves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my alarm bells like always go up with the Angels, especially here now that they they don't have Perry there, because in years past, they've been super hesitant to move on from those guys and they've held on to him and they've lost some of his guys and it's just been it's been unfortunate for them, especially a guy like show Hey, although I think that was more art moral than anybody, but this deadline, now that you have John Mozelac, he's got a history of making bigger moves, like he's not afraid of doing anything, and the fact that he ended up not talking to Arta moreno throughout this process, and he just talked to Molly Jolly there during during the interview process. I wonder, like, could he have like like autonomy? Over all this stuffhere is already gonna meddle.
Speaker 2: I don't know my.
Speaker 3: Guest has already tries to meddle, But I do think it ends up increasing the chances here where a Debtmers could be moved or Joe Adell type.
Speaker 2: Could be moved. And I think both of those guys would make a lot of sense here for.
Speaker 3: Atlanta, and you have I think the Braves could definitely use another bat, which is why, like I thought Adell made a lot of sense, I also thought of Taylor word type made a lot of sense for them, like both.
Speaker 2: Of those guys. But Debt Meers too, he is. I've said it.
Speaker 3: I just said it on a followed territory a few hours ago, and I'll say it again. If all the players have been asked about by other teams, Debt Mavers has been the guy I have been about them all. Mostly teams are so intrigued by him. They view him as a frontline guy. They view him as a guy who can be a difference maker in the postseason. He can be a guy that heads your rotation for a year in and year out. He's just a super intriguing candidate. If you try to package those guys together, I think that'd be super expensive. But getting at least one of them I think would be a major win for end Thopless or just really any team in baseball, because they're both Like all those guys, but especially Demurs, they're difference makers.
Speaker 1: A couple of other routes that end out. You know, of course we talk about controllable pitching that we would love for the Braves to go get, but a couple of routes that they could do if prices just seem to be a bit too risky for the controllable starters Casey miz Robbie Ray. Maybe another one of those lower till tier rental arms could make sense. And then of course the Nthoughtoless special going out to get another significant reliever that's controllable. Hello or this Chapman, Hello Daniel Lynch, other names such as that. I could see in Thoughtless kind of pulling his usual out of left field move that you're like, what is he doing? But then you're like, Okay, this actually does make sense to strengthen the team. It seems like that if he's going to make multiple significant moves a lower tier rental or getting another power reliever to clearly make the best back into the bullpen. Being in Atlanta, those are two other ways he could go to improve this pitching staff if prices make it to where that makes sense totally.
Speaker 3: And like, this reminds me of the Winter Meetings because they they obviously had Roise Ella Iglesias at that point, and I heard at the Winter Meetings that Robert Suarez was getting really close to siding and I was trying to figure out what team it was, and all of a sudden, the Bravest press release drops and you see that they signed Robert Suarez, And I'm like, you gotta be kidnamed, And it made so much sense, and I could see them doing it again for sure, like trying to stockpile that bullpen and adding a third dominant arm, and if it's a rold As Chapman type or if it's somebody else, like.
Speaker 2: The bullpen marketed, like obviously there's gonna be a bunch of teams looking for it.
Speaker 3: But the uncertainty there I who's all going to be available. Is something that I'm keeping an eye on here for sure. But I could see Anthopos doing that. I could see him trying to bolster that bullpen to have a Super bowlpen going into the going into the postseason. There's a bunch of different ways he can go about this. And the thing with him is he leaves no stone unturned. He will do something that he like. He's not afraid of doing what he thinks is right. And if he ends up stockpiling that bullpen, maybe adds another bat to that lineup as well. I mean, I wouldn't hate it one bit, but if you can get a Robbie Ray type to shoreline or to shore up your rotation, I think that that would make a lot of sense. But if I was, if I was n thoughtless, I would try to add an impact starter first, get an impact bat. And if you can't get that impact starter, then that's when you turn your attention to that bullpen piece. And if you can have that Super bowlpen, that's freaking awesome and I would support that no matter what, for sure.
Speaker 1: So we mentioned the impact starter. You know, that's been the conversation about the brakes for the past couple of years. This past month spotlight how much an impact bat is in need as well. More on that in just a moment after word from our partners.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on fan Duel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt and required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager out. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: So one other calling card Robert of Alexanthopolis is that you know, while he has not gone after the big name at the trade deadline, he has been someone who's been a master on the margins and been able to recreate an important part of the team at trade deadlines in the past. Twenty nineteen it was the bullpen, twenty twenty one, it was the outfield, and me and Stephen were talking about that last night. The fact that it seems like every year you can get a decent back pretty cheap because the circus is typically there. But it feels like this year, with the expanded playoffs, the American League not being as good overall as someone anticipated, there's just not a lot of sellers, so there may not be as big of a surplus, thus prices may be a bit higher. Is that kind of the general you know, a pulse that you're getting as far as the hitter market goes right now.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: That's exactly the feel that I have is there's so much uncertainty as to who's actually going to sell because so many teams are actually like feeling or feeling that they're in a spot where they can go out and contend it's got the hitting market just so uncertain at the moment, and like the Braves like they need to add at least one hitter. I mentioned Joe Adell, I mentioned Taylor Ward. With them and with Hussan Kim's struggles, I like part of me wonders and like this is I have not heard anything here. I want to clarify that I don't want to get any Braves fans hopes up.
Speaker 2: But I think a guy like c. J. Abrams makes a ton of sense for Atlanta.
Speaker 3: And like you can add him to the mix, I think that would be a big difference maker because, like you look at his ability. He's a great hitter, he is a super talented guy, He's controllable, He's a He would be an awesome fit. And do I think that the Nationals will move him. Probably not. But we could have said the same thing about Mackenzie Gore and Paul Taboni, who runs the Nationals' front office. He's got a model where he listens on everybody. It's how he got blown away with an offered by the Texas Rangers for Gore, Gavin Fiene And as soon as Gavin Feene was included in that. That's when talks really started to accelerate. Abrams is the guy that listened to on in the off season. The Giants showed pretty significant interest. There were other teams that were in, but the price is just too much for them. And could a team blow blow the Nationals away with an offer this deadline. I would not rule it out by any means. Again, I still expect that he's gonna be in Washington at the end of the year. But that being said, I do think he's a great fit for Atlanta, and I think Anthopolo should check in.
Speaker 1: So C. J. Abrams is a name that you know certainly could make sense. Just some other names Robert that you think could be connected because you know, I again I could put my thoughts out there. You know, you've got some pure, you know, platoon types, like you know on teams that are struggling, like a Matt Berlin of Detroit Orlaine Thomas. You know, Joebidale is a bit more not non platoon type, but those guys are out there. But you know, just some other names that are kind of on different tiers, the all around hitters on the adele level, but also some platoon just some names that you think would be worth tracking their teams over the next month that could make sense for Atlanta once these teams decide to sail. Yeah, I would.
Speaker 3: I think the names that you just mentioned make a lot of sense there. And I And here's one that I don't know if he's actually going to be available, I would highly doubt it. But we've seen the Brewers move guys in even this offseason again, Isaac Collins or Caleb Durban. We've seen Joy Ortiz really struggle with them. He's he's kind of had some some really good moments here recently. He's a super high level like or he's super highly talented guy. But I wonder if he could benefit from a change of scenery like That's one where I wonder.
Speaker 2: If a team could try to try to buy a low there.
Speaker 3: Here's one that I that I know has drawn interest in years past, especially this offseason. I could see him now because his defense is so good and his powers increases.
Speaker 2: Here is Jacob Young with the Nationals.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is one of the best defensive center fielders in ball. Really talented guy.
Speaker 3: I think any team that can get him would be a lot better for it. So I think both of those guys would make some sense, but again, like the market is just so uncertain at this point where I'm like, I don't want to give you a name, like or I don't want to like speculate all these names because there's so much uncertainty here, and like I would think teams teams now are the same questions that I do, Like they have no idea what's going to be available, But give it like another three, four, five weeks and then then we're going to be cooking and we'll have some more clarity there. But there's just so much uncertainty at this point.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna ask you about a name, and I do not expect because I don't think anybody knows. But this this this name has been out there for a little bit because he plays for a team that has done salary dumps in the past, and the Braves actually just benefited from one of these, and that's Jeremy Pania, the shortstop for the Ash. The ass have been playing a lot better lately, so they might not sell at all. But I've I've just heard that, you know, the Astros don't always operate with the biggest buz they essentially salary dealt Resoo to bond into the Braves, which has been tremendous for them. There are a lot of Braves fans. Obviously, shortstop has been a thing for years now. There are a lot of Braves fans dreaming high on Jeremy Pania. This this was back more when the Astros were playing pretty bad. Do you think there's any world because short stops just so rarely become available, you think there's any world they would actually move to Jeremy Pania And obviously it does seem like he would at least hypothetically make sense for the Braves to at least check in.
Speaker 3: No, he makes a ton of sense, Like if you would have asked me that three or four weeks ago, out of been like, okay, there actually might be a chance here because they look like they were on the outside looking in and just didn't seem like a team that was gonna be in a position to compete. And then lo and behold, that division stinks. The entire American League stinks. And now it's even got me questioning whether Christian Walker or Parentis or any of these guys are gonna end up being moved. So, yeah, my guess is that, he stays, I would expect a bunch of teams. I think Atlanta should check in there just to see exactly what you can get. Like Anthoppos has a relationship with Dana Brown. They've done deals in the past. They like you know each other. So I think that makes a ton of sense there.
Speaker 2: But I thought you might be going in a different direction with that we have Now I want to know.
Speaker 4: Now, I want to know what direction you thought I was going in.
Speaker 1: I you're going to Josh.
Speaker 3: Oh, Josh lay Yeah, because like we talked before about the Braves possibly trying to build that Super Bowl pen, and we saw how the Astros in the in the offseason. H we're trying to shed salary. He's got a big salary, and I wondered maybe, but I don't know if he's getting to be a move. But I don't know if he'd necessarily be like that big salary guy that the Brave should go out and add.
Speaker 2: But I expect him to get some hits. But I think the paying of shot. But he makes a lot of sense. I do have one. I do have one.
Speaker 4: I just thought about this, actually, I want to get your opinion on this. So one theory that Braves fans have been running with for you know, a couple of months now is obviously the Jersim profar money allows them a level of spending at the deadline. Then a lot of teams don't have a lot of teams don't have just fifteen million dollars just sitting there to spend at the deadline that they weren't expecting to have. And then usually top Less keeps money to the side for this anyway, So you know, Brads fans have kind of dreaming in let's idea that they have more money to spend maybe than most teams, just you know, the way the profile money fell in their lap. I'm curious your opinion on that, if you think that would have any impact. Maybe there's a guy, you know, when you said hater is what made me think of it. Maybe there's a guy that makes big money that otherwise the Braids maybe couldn't afford. Maybe now they could that they have fifteen million dollars they really weren't expecting to have.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I think that definitely is a factor here.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really good shot by a because that's something I had not consider on my end, and I remember like when as soon as the School stuff ended up coming out, I had a couple of different teams tell me it's very rare you have that kind of money just sitting around just where you can add that to your payroll and not have any effects there.
Speaker 2: Atlanta can add that.
Speaker 3: They can add basically anybody that they want to and really have the flexibility to go out and do so. So whether maybe that makes a guy like School more attainable, or maybe it makes one of those big targets more attainable, I'm not necessary really sure, but I think this based on their ability to compete this season and also the PROFI contract. In that entire situation, you have to imagine Anthopoless is gonna have as much flexibilities as he's had or at any deadline in recent years. So I think that it makes a lot of sense. I think they should go out and check in on everything. And if you if you're in Atlanta, if you're Anthopoless and you can add one of these impact players and you don't have to deplete your farm system to go out and do so, I say do it, especially if you have that flexibility.
Speaker 2: Again, great shot by you. That's something I had not really thought about on my end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and especially with Sale being thirty seven, I do wonder, like, you know, how many more bites at the Apple do you have? With Sale being an ACE level pitcher, it does seem like there's a lot of stars aligning for Alex has more money than normal. They have a very very very clear need at starting pitcher. Like normally the scoopl stuff doesn't seem real to me because it's not really antopless move, but you've had everything together, it does start to feel maybe a little.
Speaker 1: More real than normal.
Speaker 3: No, and I'll tell you it's he's going to have a very very busy deadline. He's going to be in a position where he can consider almost anything and everything. And they're a team to watch. The Phillies are a team to watch. You got the Padres always a team to watch, the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is going to be right now.
Speaker 3: It's super unpredictable because we don't know who the sellers are going to be. But Atlanta's definitely one of the top.
Speaker 2: Teams to watch. And I kind of wait to see what he.
Speaker 3: Does because odds are we're probably gonna find out through the Braves Twitter account and that's always that's always fun, but also mayan as a news breaker or rather frustrating.
Speaker 2: So thank you, alex I Thopless.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks Alice.
Speaker 1: One other unique factor is we're here with Robert Murray. One last question, Robert. Another unique factor for this trade deadline that you could see an impact in every team that you don't usually have, you know, most seasons, is the looming you know, CBA negotiations. What is twenty twenty seven going to look like? You know, particularly you know for some of these rentals. Could it mean not the top rentals like a Schoogle, but for some of these other rental pitchers like a Maze or a Ray. If a team work to trade for them, could they be more open to extensions so that may make teams more willing to go after them as rentals or some of these controllable pieces. Could their prices be a little bit cheaper because you don't know how much you're going to get from them next year? Could they be open to extensions. How does the uncertainty of twenty twenty seven and beyond because of changes that will come in the years following, how much is that overall impacting what teams may or may not do it this year's trade deadline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still expecting these teams to be aggressive here for sure. But if you can add some of these guys who are controllable, I think that'd be super intriguing to these teams because the uncertainty and just the pure frenzy it's going to be in the offseason when that lockout eventually hits, and when that lockout eventually is over, were're going to be able to play baseball. Players are going to want to be able to be settled. Teams are going to want to know what the rosters are going to look like. And I remember the last time that this ended up happening with the lockout, it was the deadline was obviously crazy, but the off season is where we really felt it the most, especially before him, because these guys wanted to have that certainty. And if you can end up getting or you want to have that certainty through the lockout, I should say, and if you can get a guy that is maybe on an expiring contract, you have the first ability to sign him, and you have like an exclusive window before all these teams are able to negotiate with him.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that could end up being a factor here as well.
Speaker 3: That maybe allows teams to be more aggressive and adding these kind of expiring contract guys.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that does that make sense. I don't like I think it does, but I like.
Speaker 3: Again, like going back to school here, we've talked about him being expired.
Speaker 2: He is not going to be signing before for agency. His agent is Scott Boris.
Speaker 3: Like, there's no way Boris is gonna d up allowing him to miss free agency. It's going to be But the other guys, you wonder if that could end up being something that could be in play here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember in twenty one. I remember in twenty one, So twenty one was the last time we had the lockout, and I remember, like the day before the lockout, it was like December fifth, might have been at the Winter meetings. It was like it was like another trade deadline. We had like fifty different signings happen because everybody wanted some certainty before the lockout because no one knew when the lockout was gonna end. So I agree with you, I think there could be another round of that this offseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember that. That was one of the craziest times I've ever had Seger.
Speaker 4: I think Seger signed his big contract in that there was a whole bunch like that day that you know, signed massive deals just to get it done right before the lockouts started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was wild.
Speaker 3: It was and I expected to happen again and it was a frenzy.
Speaker 2: And it's probably gonna have to be in that same.
Speaker 3: Way again because there was a lot of uncertainty at that point.
Speaker 2: This offseason, there's so much more uncertainty. Yeah, this is gonna be an ugly, up and down offseason.
Speaker 3: My best recommendation for for everybody who's watching this, don't ride the roller coaster because it's it's gonna be ugly. The reports are going to be even uglier. But that being said, it's like, I'm confident we're gonna have baseball.
Speaker 2: Are we gonna have full season?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm confident we're going to have baseball in some way shape or for next year.
Speaker 1: So trivia question for both of y'all and the one who answers this gets the thumbs up, Remind me again the last time the last two times we've had lockout th threatening seasons nineteen ninety four, nineteen ninety five, and then twenty two. What's the other common thing between those two time frames.
Speaker 4: He talk about world series for the Braids.
Speaker 1: World Series for the Braids.
Speaker 4: Whenever that walks shame, shameless for your part, Maybe there we are.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that's even further reason franthopis to go all in this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the reason the stars the stars are aligning is what we're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely this part of the show and Sanatanopolis I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's definitely listening.
Speaker 1: I probably that's what he is listening right now. Robert cannot thank you enough, sir. There's a reason why we enjoy having you anytime we get the chance. It's absolute great content from you as a great source of hard work as well as an insight when it comes to baseball. Please let us know where we can find all your excellent We're both written podcasts, just everything because I know Braves Country across the board will be tuning in over the next month plus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can catch me on Twitter at by Robert Murray. You can catch me on fans Ada dot com, Fallow Territory, do my podcast The Baseball Insiders. I really appreciate you boys have me on the show. A huge fan of what you guys do. You're great people, do great work. So anybody who's watching this give them a five star review, do whatever, because they are incredible of their boy incredible of their jobs.
Speaker 2: Boys. I appreciate you big time. Thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Robert, Robert, we can't thank you. Please stick with us for just a second after the show. But of course you can find Steven Tolbert at b Underscore Outliers, Robert as he said at by Robert Murray on Twitter, slash x, myself Sean coming at stats sac and you can find hammer Territory across all forms of social media, Foul Territory across all forms of social media Fansided at fansided dot com for Robert Murray, Stephen Tolbert, and myself Sean Coleman. We'll talk to you again soon. Go brads here on the ammor Territory podcast.
Speaker 3: H