Speaker 1: This is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Drive. I'm Dale Lolly, he is Matt Williamson and Matt. It's like Christmas Eve, Happy drafting Eve to you and to all. We've been talking about this thing for months. We've been waiting for it to come. It is finally here, and nobody knows what the hell is going to go on now.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure we know a whole lot now that we did months ago, but it's just as much fun. I mean, I can't wait. Steelers are positioned to add a lot of quality talent. There's a lot of different directions they can go. And we have what three segments to talk between now and they start kicking off and then we'll be on the air quite a bit together.
Speaker 2: Quite a bit. Yeah, as we typically are, you know. But I do believe that this draft I think there's more volatility to it. I agree that maybe in some previous years, I think we all kind of know who the top Tenish guys are.
Speaker 1: I don't think any of them are gonna be Steelers.
Speaker 2: But you don't know what order they're going to fall in, other than we know Bryce Young is going to be.
Speaker 1: Number one, right, that's the anything we know at this point.
Speaker 2: And then past that, there could be an there could be a bunch of trades in the top ten, there could be no trades in the top ten.
Speaker 1: And it always comes back to quarterbacks, which fortunately for the Steelers they don't have to they're not in that market. And I'm glad that they're not for this particular class in particular, because I would hate to try to decipher these and you know, can we work around this deficiency or because they all when when I was first exposed to these top five quarterbacks, including Hendon Hooker, all I could see were the glaring weaknesses. And I've warmed up to some more than others, but still they all have huge red flags.
Speaker 2: Well this is you know. So it goes back to the and I've said this before, the people who wanted the Steelers to just wait and take one next year, right last year, a year ago, at this time, just wait and take one this class, the twenty twenty one class or twenty twenty two class. It isn't very good, So just wait and get your quarterback next year. That class is so deep, right, that's what people are saying. Now, just wait and take one next year because this one's so deep.
Speaker 1: I mean, Houston's second on the board. They have more draft capital than anyone in the league. And there's an argument to be made to not take any of these guys and wait till next year, which I think would be a mistake, which I think is dangerous as could be too, because even if we're right in the North Carolina and the USC dude are transcendent, phenomenal players. Well, no one's trading out of those picks. You have to be one of the worst two.
Speaker 2: You have to stink again, yeah, really really stick. Now your fan base is really ticked off at you because well, you know, we've stunk now for four straight years. When are we going to be good again?
Speaker 1: I know, and I understand that there is you know, we're gonna spend the whole time talking about the Texans. But there's finally some optimism in there. Deshaun Watson's gone. I mean, there's a new coach and.
Speaker 2: That extra draft picks, because yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: Loaded, can you? But you can't go into that locker room again and be like we're gonna start Davis Millsy.
Speaker 2: How you're telling Laramie tunsl again that you know, hey, Laramie, we love you. You're gonna be protecting five different guys back there and win.
Speaker 1: Three games again. Yeah, like I've seen this movie. No thanks, all right?
Speaker 2: Looking at some of the things that have happened since we were last on the air, Well, the Aaron Rodgers trade finally went through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, to no surprise. He is a Jet, and.
Speaker 2: I mean there were rumors that the forty nine ers might be jumping into that, and and I think that kind of maybe the maybe the Packers put that out there, you know, through the back channels just to kind of spur that that trade on.
Speaker 1: It was like Belichick could call. Yeah, it'd be a Retal Belichick thing to do. But I thought the Jets gave up more than I expected. So it's a good deal for the Packers and that it's time to take a step back in Green Bay. You've had two amazing quarterbacks for a twenty year run with an unbelievable stretch, and now you've a lot to draft capital. See what Jordan Love is. I mean, it's probably gonna be a rough year for them. But at least they're in good rebuild mode. Jets are aggressive. I mean, they're all in, but to their credit, they still have a mid first and second round pick to you know, maybe draft a lineman this year this year, right, right, right?
Speaker 2: But next year gets interesting. You know that that picked next year is conditional upon Aaron Rodgers playing sixty five percent of the snaps. Yeah, if he plays sixty five percent of the snaps, the Packers get next year's first round pick from the Jets.
Speaker 1: Right, And Aaron.
Speaker 2: Rodgers, who's thirty nine, might not be playing for the Jets next year.
Speaker 1: That's what's odd to me is Rogers is an iron man. I mean, I would imagine it'd be a long shot for him not to play sixty five percent of the snaps. Now that doesn't I'm sure the Jets are looking at it like, if I can get Aaron Rodgers to play the whole year, we're gonna be that's gonna be a really late first round pick. And they might be right. But in the AFC, you still might not even make the playoffs. I mean, if the Jets are in the NFC, I might could the Rogers led Jets are the.
Speaker 2: Play Are they still any better than third in that division.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, I think the Patriots are a clear fourth. But it's the best division in the league. Miami's all in even more than the Jets are, and Bills aren't going away. But so if you're the Packers and he hits those numbers, maybe it is a late first but it could still be a pick in the inside the top twenty, and you are you know, and they don't make the playoffs considering the conference they're in. But if he doesn't make those numbers for whatever reason, it's probably an early second round pick, a worse.
Speaker 2: If you remember. This is very much like the Russell Wilson trade to me, very much. So where as soon as it's made, everybody starts talking about, oh, there might be four teams out of the AFC East that make the playoffs this year. Yeah, yeah, they'll be lucky to get two.
Speaker 1: This is the way world works.
Speaker 2: That's the way the world war. Here's the Jets schedule. That's it's awful at home against the Bills, the Dolphins, the Patriots, the Chiefs right right there, the Chargers, the Eagle Wow, the Commanders, the Texans and the Falcons.
Speaker 1: Wow. So they play the they play the other East, which is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Which is pretty good away games Buffalo, Miami, Patriots at Denver, which is never an easy place, at the Raiders, at the Cowboys, at the Giants, at the Browns.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, And I'm sure Miami's is just as hard. You know, they're playing base I mean, this is a this is a that's what I means. Chances of three teams coming out of the division or's slim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm looking at that home schedule. I'm like, if they get four wins in that home schedule, that's pretty good. Right, they get five, Okay, good for them.
Speaker 1: I mean even the division. I mean, you sweep the Patriots. Say what you want about the Patriots, They're.
Speaker 2: Still tough to get. They're still tough to play against. Yeah, you know, so people celebrating this as well, that the Jets are Super Bowl contender and like the Vegas odds went crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I don't see it. I don't really either. I'm planning on doing a ranks after the draft, I mean, just for other outlets or whatever. I'm sure we'll talk about I'm sure we'll talk about it, But I bet eight of the top teams are in the a FC. Like, if so only seven are going, right, you know, I mean like I think the really.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have to look at the top fourteen because seven from each conference go to the playoffs, right.
Speaker 1: I bet at least ten of them are AFC.
Speaker 2: Like when you start looking at that schedule like that, then you have to start looking at AFC losses and things of that nature.
Speaker 1: I mean, if they're three and three in the division and we do we think they're beating the Chiefs, probably not.
Speaker 2: You know, the Chargers at homes a toss up, you know, do you think they're gonna beat uh, you know, win in Denver? Again, that's a that's a tough, tough one, you know. So there's there's a lot of games that you know, people at that well it's the Browns away when you play in the Browns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking that too, Like what if you go to Denver and Miami early in the year, they're the two worst places to play in the first month of the season by far, and then you go to Cleve in week sixteen.
Speaker 2: I've done that before.
Speaker 1: That's fine, right, It's just a tough situation.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be interesting to see how that schedule breaks down, and we'll see that. We'll get that that a couple of weeks here after the draft, the schedule will be released. The other point to this is the Jets had one primetime game last year. Now they're gonna have.
Speaker 1: Six six thenced well, I mean that's emotion you can get you they're gonna have six primetime games. It's New York and it's Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everybody's talking, well, look at the you know, everybody in New York's excited about the Jets. Good, but they're gonna have a bunch of primetime games. And if you're not used to playing, if you're not used to going and playing in Denver on a Sunday night, Vegas flying back, yeah, I mean, look at the road trips here. Dallas is not an easy.
Speaker 1: Road trip for sure. And then you get.
Speaker 2: A fly but you know, fly back and play the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I mean I'm even think of a lesser team, but the Giants are going to run the ball eighty percent of time at you after a road game, you know, like that type of thing. And no, you're right, And I always go back to our conversation with labs. You know that, Well, we'll see how they handle, you know, those type of things that people don't think about, like you have five time, Yeah, you of them on the.
Speaker 2: Road, your Sunday, your Sunday against Miami at home, and then you got to go on a short week and go play the Raiders in Vegas.
Speaker 1: Or the fact that I keep bringing up the Giants, like maybe you're on the road against the Giants, but it's a home game. You know, that's not an advantage at all, you know.
Speaker 2: So, and I still believe there are more Giants fans in New York than there are imagine even so that's that's a that's an away game for you, but the stadium gym to be packed the Giants fans. Yeah, yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 1: So No, but I know they're much better football team than they were. I mean I think that more than maybe any team in the league. Their quarterback play held them back. You know what they could have been with just joe average quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: This isn't a Buccaneers situation.
Speaker 1: No, Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Tom Brady going to the Tampa Bay and you go, well, if you just don't turn the ball over fifty times, at the quarterback position. Yeah, I mean, well they're gonna be They're gonna be a contender.
Speaker 1: But I still are good.
Speaker 2: But I still think they're the third best team in their own division.
Speaker 1: I'm torn on that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think depending on if two of places, I.
Speaker 1: Just trust the Miami up.
Speaker 2: Did you hear the the news, I think late last week that tu have finally announced that he's going to play this year. He was he was considering a retirement.
Speaker 1: And I'm surprised they haven't done more than just bringing Mike White, and they don't have the draft capital to do. They have the least draft capital in the league.
Speaker 2: They think they're gonna unless they think they were going to talk Tom Brady out of retirement.
Speaker 1: See, there always is that living thing, you know. I mean there's a connection there that That's why there's only thirty one picks in the draft.
Speaker 2: Even with that, I don't know that Brady fits what they want to do offense. I get the two speed receivers on the outside, Like is that play into what Tom Brady wants to do? Right now? The offensive line is not great.
Speaker 1: It's not great. I think it figure it out, you know, I mean, run the ball a lot.
Speaker 2: Know he can figure it out like he used to be able to figure it out.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean I don't know. Miami. Both those teams are all in, though, I mean they both push their chips in the middle, and one of them for sure isn't going to work out as playing well.
Speaker 2: It might be more than one, because there are lots of teams that are quote unquote all in and they can't all win.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think about a year ago, the Raiders, We're going to go trade all in all this stuff for the Broncos, the Broncos, all those teams, right the Rams.
Speaker 2: They go down the list here of teams that quote unquote went all in and you don't always you don't win. The Browns have done it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, so I keep mentioning draft capital and there's only like two or three teams that have less draft capital in this draft than Cleveland, and they don't have a first round pick next year. There's three teams already that don't have a first round pick now and then your quarterbacks, you know, seventy million dollars cap pick or something insane.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's ridiculous, like you better win when you go all in like that. Otherwise you get to start tearing it down and then you you know, all of a sudd and you become the rams.
Speaker 1: Denver is a perfect example too, Like they have bottom of the league draft capital this year and last year. You got two years without really reinforcing your team to the draft. Your quarterback better be a superstar, not like Deshaun Watson really has to be a top five quarterback for that to be worth it.
Speaker 2: I saw somebody and I can't remember who, put out ranking ranking the AFC quarterbacks and they had to show Deshaun Watson was number five on that list. He wouldn't be for me, but not based on what he did last year.
Speaker 1: He was bottom the list last year.
Speaker 2: Like he was ahead of two. I think had a much better year last year. Now he didn't play as much, actually he played about the same amount.
Speaker 1: Who would rather have? Right now? I mean off the field stuff?
Speaker 2: I say, neither right?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? You know?
Speaker 2: Is that the answer?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I so I think, you know, again, I look at this and what the Steelers can do in this draft with three premium picks. You know, if they stay put where they're at, they're going to get three football players in this drift, at least three who come in and help right away, I would assume.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think you could even say four. And we're not talking about starters day one every snap. Maybe they take a day two tackle that doesn't start, you know, that's the only way I'm trying to think of guys that might not start right away. That could be premium picks or you know, but for the most part, yeah, or maybe an edge that's a third guy that comes in and plays forty percent of the snaps, but that'll be a contributor.
Speaker 2: Right You're going to get guys who play, you know, three hundred, four hundred, five hundred snaps this season and make an impact.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And as we often say, the rosters set up right now that I don't know that Brian branch aside, who would be a thousand snap guy right off the bat, unless you drafted a left tackle he wins a job, you know, something like that. But they don't need a thousand snap guy at any specific position. Maybe an outside corner could do that, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe an outside corner could do that. Maybe a nickel slash safe he could do that. But outside of that, yeah, I don't. I don't know that you're looking at a guy to come in and be a thousand snap guy like right, like Terrell Edmonds was exactly in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: And that's what. Guys are set up well enough that they don't need one of those right this minute. Yeah, you know, and they could develop into those guys.
Speaker 2: And that's why I thought Mike Tomlin put it very succinctly when he said, you know, everything that we've done this offseason opened the draft board up for.
Speaker 1: Us extremely well. Yeah, extremely well. Right, I mean, could they use an offensive tackle, Yes, I can live with them not even drafting one, or more likely drafting the pit kid in the fourth round and developing him Carter War that type of guy. Yeah, you know, I mean I would love to see them get a slot. I do think they need to draft a corner of some sort, But the draft boards set up really well that you could do that at multiple spots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not it's not the then, you know, the immediate need. Hey, we got to have this guy to line up tomorrow and he has to start. That's not the case really at any position for the Steelers. You know, they could they could line up and play, and all the moves that they made are ones that maybe in September they don't necessarily look at it and go, oh, you know, these guys aren't starting this is that? But in October and November in week ten, you know, when you're heading to Baltimore, much different story. You know, if I'm bringing you know, somebody off the bench who's started, you know, fifty games in his career, as opposed to calling somebody up off the practice squad and starting right, they're signing somebody off of somebody else's practice squad and starting them. We've seen that have to happen in previous years, doesn't have to happen with this team.
Speaker 1: Right. I can play him a little bit in week one, a little more in week two, and now I trust them and I understand as coach says what he's like in a stadium or how he practices those type of things. Boom, now you're the guy, you know. So No, it has set up well to a part of the draft and acquiring young talent isn't always just draft this guy, put him in. It's how am I going to develop him once he's in our building? You know? And they've set themselves up well that it's not like, Okay, left tackle, throw you in the deep end. Hope you do fine against Miles Garrett. You know, I'm like, let's bring it along a little slower. Hey.
Speaker 2: You can now listen to Steelers Nation Radio anytime anywhere through your smart speaker. Just say Alexa, play Steelers Nation Radio from iHeart and Alexa will take care of the rest. And you might want to do that during the draft because we're gonna be on wall to wall throughout the draft. Matt, myself, a cast of others that will cast a dozens. Maybe they're going to be on the air, but we're gonna bring you all the press conferences, all the immediate draft picks and things of that nature. You can hear that basically Thursday through Saturday this weekend, so you don't want to miss that. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale, Lollie. You're listening to the drive here on Steelers Nation Radio. We'll be back with more right after this