Speaker 1: Welcome to We Talk Back Podcast, the production of iHeartRadio and the Black Effect Network.
Speaker 2: We're just two unapologetically black women with an opinion to talks.
Speaker 1: What's up, Y'all's your girl? A j a holiday? What's up? Big Tam bam.
Speaker 2: Y'all, It's official team man. I love y'all so so very much. I love you agent.
Speaker 1: Look, I just be smiling where you do your part and I love you bad.
Speaker 2: How was your weekend?
Speaker 1: You know how to fuck? My weekend on was okay?
Speaker 2: With the world don't know.
Speaker 1: Prepared to record all day. I didn't have a weekend. Actually I really didn't. I'm still exhausted and working through the weekend right now. Okay, So that's where I'm at. I'm half dad, y'all. I'm making it. I'm drinking macha like the soft life bitches do, and it ain't.
Speaker 2: Working, y'all. We filmed four episodes for y'all over the weekend, so we got some content for y'all, not just audio but visual. So those will be up very soon, so y'all stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: And we'll try to be consistent. You know, you might need to ask for a GoFundMe donations right to afford all this shit, but we're working on it. Tell you might have to, you might have to pop some pussy. Who you girl? I don't got no pussy. I didn't bring my pussy. I'll never bring my pussy with me. It's in at my fama house. Saved the deposit box. Let's Steven the six might as well. So what do we have going on this week and in the world aside from being at fucking war right now? David Banner says he refuses to do business with men who cheat. Okay, come on, David Banner. Now, I guess he can never be a man that cheats because he don't seem to be in a fucking relationships right. Where's your wife?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I love David Banner. I think he's one of the finest black men out here.
Speaker 2: Okay, he is.
Speaker 1: Fo So David Banner refuses to do business with men who cheat on their wives based on advice from a mentor, Yes, because if you will cheat in your relationship, you will cheat in business.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Banner believes that trust and integrity are essential in business and personal relationships. Banner expressed his belief that he does not believe in the devil and that individuals need to take responsibility. I'll add accountability, okay, for their actions and fix themselves. His views on personal personal responsibility and self improvement sparked an interesting conversation during an interview with Shannon Sharp. I agree one point two to three million percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. I love that let's start holding men accountable for cheating, I mean other men, because they'll, like we mentioned, they'll hold each other for accountable for being bad fathers, but they'll let each other cheat. So I think this is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, because you know you don't have to cheat, right, you could actually be in a relationship with somebody who's okay with you having a variety. That is actually a thing. But men are tricking people into monogamous relationships a lot of times. Not just men like tell me like the ad, not just men man, my dad tell girl. We talked about these niggas, and obviously these niggas know how these niggas are right because David Bannon ain't going forward. So get into business with somebody who knows that you're not good at business. Come over here with that badass business, is what he's saying.
Speaker 2: Essentially, I'm with that after David Banner, we must just slide in his DMS.
Speaker 1: And no, I'm already in there. It's just like he both of ours. No, bitch, keep him at my house.
Speaker 2: Cardi B announced this new album finally to get an album out of Cardi B. So Cardi b sophomore album finally has a release date, with the superstar revealing Monday that I Am the Drama will come out one through Atlantic Records. I can't wait to hear. And we have not had an album from her since twenty eighteen, with her her debut Invasion of Privacy, which went on to win a Grammy for Best Rap Album in twenty nineteen and went four times platinum.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: She is one of the highest paid rappers right off of one album.
Speaker 2: Off of one album.
Speaker 1: I mean, Nicki Minaj, really, don't, you know, there's always the comparison. Nicki Minaj don't have a whole bunch of albums. She probably she probably dragged out that first album for a few years too.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's really dope though, but it's also scary. You know, he had an album since twenty nineteen and it's twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: She can deliver. She's gonna be alright, I love Gardi y'all. Yeah, so you know, y'all seen this recently. She had like a what was she at recently? Because Cardi B Is like to me also outside dropped. Yes, she is also her best stressed side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she putting that shit on that song is like ooh, she really came for all sudden. This song is not nice at all. You know, you gotta really have a real disdain for your baby daddy.
Speaker 1: That is the word. Yes, that is the word. And she has it and I and I see why, and I think we all have. We all share the same disdain for offset. Right now, somebody commented off the you need to change his name to offset the cheat or some shit like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you still gotta remember, here's the thing that your kids are gonna grow up and hear this song, you know, And that's still you want them to respect their daddy, right despite the relationship that you and him hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but even if she doesn't put that song out, the kids will grow up and realize daddy's be on some bullshit sometimes, right, So, but I.
Speaker 2: Think they still realize for themselves and not hear song. Tell your mama that she raised a bitch ass nigga, like you know something she said like that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I've set good on my damn nerves. Man, he just got whack. Like who else got whack after the woman left him? Like males like yeah, like they just get whack when that woman takes the energy away, because who are you now? Offset ain't in the group no more. She paid all that money to get you out of your contract with QC. You know what I'm saying, Like, Cardi B did it right. She did it right. She started her family, she wanted her, she fought for her family. She got one baby, daddy three kids. She probably doesn't and now she outside having fun, Okay, outside looking cute, running and playing with a nigga. Right and he about that life all right?
Speaker 2: So also, a new tour has been announced, the Boy is Mine Tour where Brandy, Monica and the others. Wow, no, I'm going they're gonna be in Chicago. Like I looked at the dates. I'm trying to go to the Chicago show.
Speaker 1: I wonder if ray J. I wonder if y J had anything to do do with this, because remember he was on Shannon Sharp and he was like, man, I'd be trying to get them together, and man, I've been trying to get them to go on tour da da da. They just won't do it. And now Henry are.
Speaker 2: Here, we are He manifested that because I would love that. That's one of the best songs of our young adult We wasn't even adult hit or no, we wasn't.
Speaker 1: We was kidding for sure. They were kids too with teenagers no business singing talking about the boy's mine job, please.
Speaker 2: The boy at least what the man is mine? Right, I'm going to one of those cities.
Speaker 1: I watch it on YouTube. I watched it.
Speaker 2: Into tracking back a little bit. So Offset was on something y'all and he revealed that Sabrina Carpenter as a celebrity curse.
Speaker 1: Oh as Sabrina Carpenter. I don't know who that is.
Speaker 2: What Sabrina Carpenter is that big?
Speaker 1: For real?
Speaker 2: Who is she? Google her?
Speaker 1: She's the actress?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, a singer. Offset revealed his celebrity crush to be Sabrina Carpenter during the interview with Internet Magician and the Guzman. Offset express surprise with Sabrina's name was revealed from a crumpled up piece of paper indicating his genuine interest in her.
Speaker 1: Oh that's.
Speaker 2: Because I was wondering why I was so magic. Hey, The rapper hinted that potential collaboration with Sabrina as their labor as they are labelmates, suggesting a future look up in the studio despite his previous involvement with Cardi B. Offset did not acknowledge her new album announcement, which is why would he?
Speaker 1: Because of a.
Speaker 3: Hat.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna send you some of her ship because she dope. She's so cute.
Speaker 1: Does she just have a baby and she has hispanic.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I can't tell. She could be white or anyway.
Speaker 1: Y'all, y'all know I ain't really hip. We got it, We got a You would know her if you saw her though. She's very okay, I see her. She had an album that just came out. I'm not gonna tell y'all where I saw it on because I feel like arguing. But she has an album that just came out, right, and she like getting dog walk on on the cover of the album. Let me sing if it's the same person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, she's white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she got a new album that just that's dropping in. She got an album dropping in August called Man's best Friend and on the album cover like she's on her knees touching a man's leg and he has everybody here. So I guess she's saying she a bitch. Wasn't she on Nickelodeon?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't know her history, but she had this song Espresso that was her hit that sit here in the start on Interesting.
Speaker 1: Well whatever, we'll see how that goes. Yeah, she was on Disney and Nickelodeon. Bitch. I know I ain't tripping, so yeah, I know once I saw the face. Yes, interesting. Anyway, I'll set.
Speaker 2: Y'all. We have a guest on the show today. We're talking journalism, AI, what the future holds for media and all things Simone Boyce, you guys, so stay tuned, will be right back.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all. So we are back and today we're talking truth, tea and takedowns or maybe not. Okay, we're living in the era of clickbait, clickbait culture, so journalistic integrity is super important, but facts don't always go viral a right, So today's guest is an Emmy nominated journalist and producer. She's a fellow podcaster co host of The Bright side and an on camera host who's covered everything from Capitol Hill to Hollywood red carpets, Simone Boys, welcome to We Talked Bay.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to be here, y'all. She a Battie too, and you're here, Yes, she's also at Batti. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Just threw together this whole seven minute beat before I hopped on here, so period.
Speaker 2: Say, listen, I was trying to put on our ab. I'm just not good at it. Okay, let me.
Speaker 3: I might be able to help because I have spent decades putting on fake eyelashes in the back of a news van, like that's going seventy miles per hour on a highway. So maybe do you put do you make the glue? Do you let it dry a little bit before you put it on? So I started doing that.
Speaker 2: I started trying to let it dry a little bit before I put it on, but then I think I overdry it, so then like the outsides are sticking, but the inside is flapping up, and then I just throw that shit. I just I get frustrated.
Speaker 3: Is just the worst whenever you have that like one part of it that's just flapping up. I can always tell the next day when I look at my pictures, I'm like, damn, I should have brought my glue.
Speaker 1: All right, definitely travel glue. I use that weave glue.
Speaker 2: You you glue your lashes down with weave glue.
Speaker 1: I do sometimes like some I always carry like the real lace glue, I mean, the real lash glue. But I definitely be using that weave glue. Yeah, I mean, what's the difference, right, It's going to the same It's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Do you say them here trying to make us pay for the same products over and over again.
Speaker 1: And the lash goop class more than we've Okay, but.
Speaker 2: Do you have real eyelashes though, because I feel like we've glued is snatching your eyelashes out.
Speaker 1: But I take my lashes off every day, so I've never had voluptuous eyelashes or eyebrows for that matter. Oh yeah, same one.
Speaker 2: You gonna have new lanx. All right, come on, let's get into simone. Let's talk to you.
Speaker 1: Let's do I was about to keep going on lashes, but you you're the host.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Great. So I have a question for you. You've worn many hats. News anchor entertainment reporter, cultural commentator who is Simon Boys off camera outside of a LASH expert. You know what's so funny about me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have had a serious job for so many years, but I am so un serious off camera, and you'll probably get to know that about me during the course of this conversation. But I love to have fun. I love to goof off. I was the class clown. I still got big class clown energy. Oh yeah, I'm just I'm a goofy girl for real. I just I'm good at code switching.
Speaker 1: Interesting code switching. Do you think you tend to have to do that a lot in the industry you're in, you know, because I've always just I just always wanted to always just have, you know, a profession where I could just be myself. Right, So do you feel like you have to code switch a lot?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I actually do think you have to code switch a lot. I'm not even gonna front with you. It's more about just understanding the environment that you're in and understanding the responsibilities that you have.
Speaker 2: So I will say that it varies.
Speaker 3: Depending on what aspect of media that you work in. When I was a national news correspondent at NBC News definitely had to code switch because I was I was talking about very serious topics, you know, so I can't bring I can't bring my goofy, lighthearted self whenever I'm talking about tragedies on the air. However, as a podcaster, I feel like there's a lot less code switch. I think podcasting is a wonderful venue and wonderful media format because it does allow us to really show up as we are, and that's who the audience responds to the most. Like, don't y'all find that too in hosting your show.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, we need to come and be ourselves and that's the best part about it.
Speaker 1: And then you know the people who frequent our personalities, you know, that's who's going to gravitate towards your content. So yeah, it is much easier. I couldn't imagine, you know, being on NBC News in acting.
Speaker 2: Having to assimilate all the time acting.
Speaker 3: You know what, and I you know what I think the best correspondents do is they're able to bring a piece of themselves to the work that they're doing. And that was always my goal is like, Okay, how can I be how can I show up as a real human whenever I'm telling this story, and then how can I bring out the humanity out of the people that I'm featuring in this story. So I think the best correspondence and the best anchors they do know how to bring a piece of themselves while also so giving the audience that sense of safety and authority they need whenever stuff's going down, you know, and they just need the facts.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about Bryce thatd I know you have a co host? Did you pick your co host or did Reese Witherspoon pick your co host? Like how did y'all come about like starting your podcast? Yes?
Speaker 3: So for this, it's so funny how that worked out. So I had a co host last season. Her name is Danielle robe I love her dearly. She is actually someone that I didn't know personally, but I knew of her because we had a lot of mutual friends for years. And it's really funny how this happened because last was it last summer or the summer before. A mutual friend of ours was like, Simone, you need to meet Danielle. I know I've been talking about her for years, but you guys got to link up. And I was like, yes, Okay, great. I'm you know, traveling right now, but when I come back and when i'm stationary, I would love to meet her. A few months later, we got matched together for this podcast. So it just felt really kismet that we had these people in our lives who were mutual friends and then we kind of just got brought together and we really hit it off. And it's very bettersweet because this season I am hosting The bright Side solo. Danielle is hosting a new podcast for Hello Sunshine, because we're expanding our podcast footprint. She's hosting one called Bookmarked and it's all about Reese's book Club. But I do cherish the memories that we had the first season, y'all. We had so much fun. I know y'all tour too, so we would, you know, go to south By Southwest or go travel together, and we just got so many stories.
Speaker 2: It was it was a lot of fun having a co host.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: So y'all are separating. I did not know that that's unfortunate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are going our own journeys, but we're still going to overlap a little bit here and there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so have you already started doing shows alone?
Speaker 3: I have, yes, Oh, yes, we've got not sure when this conversation is coming out, but probably a good handful of shows under our belt now with me as the host.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for you now, being biracial, being a biracial woman like affected in shape, the way you tell your story, I think it has. I think it has. You know.
Speaker 3: I'm very careful how I tried around this conversation because don't nobody want to hear no biracial tears? Myself included, you can do it here. No, no, no, do you want to hear no biracial tears? But I will say I will say that growing up mixed race, I kind of didn't know where to fit in and I experienced, I experienced a feeling of being othered by multiple communities. And I think what that allowed me to do is learn how to build bridges between different communities and learn how to understand people from all walks of life and start conversations with people who look different than me or came from different backgrounds to me. So I think it gave me a lot of curiosity culturally about wanting to learn about different cultures. And also I hope that it gave me this knack for connection and conversation, and so those are two things that I brought to my career as a journalist. I also just wanted to always tell stories that we're giving a voice to underrepresented voices. So I think I think that's all shaped by the perspective that I developed growing up as a mixed race child.
Speaker 1: So do you ever feel pressure to represent for your race or gender and space is where they really weren't built for you.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I think that I think that it's I've felt a good pressure. I think there's been a really good pressure over the course of my career as a journalists. I've been in this game for almost fifteen years, and I think you know, about five years ago, when we saw the social and racial unrest of twenty twenty, that really became this rallying cry for change, for impact, for justice, and also for more accuracy and better representation in how we tell stories and in how the media tells stories. I see it as I see it as good pressure. I'm not one to to say that, you know, I resent any kind of pressure like that, because I don't I any opportunity that I get to represent for black folks, for mixed race folks, for anybody who is underrepresented. That is a true honor and privilege to me. I think that is our superpower as storytellers, is being able to hone in on what your unique POV is, because that POV, that's one in a million. No one else is going to have the same POV that you have. Not only is my POV shaped by, you know, being the daughter of a black mom and a white dad, But I also moved around a lot when I was growing up. I grew up in Miami, then I moved to Memphis, Tennessee, and then I moved back to Miami, and then I moved to LA and New York as a journalist. So moving around and just meet it, like I was saying earlier, like meeting people from all different types of backgrounds. That is a privilege to be able to tell stories that are filtered through our own unique pob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, if you got a black mama, you black culturally, like you black as hell with a black mama. I feel like, you know, this.
Speaker 1: Is a little bit off top. This is a little bit off topic, right because we did it.
Speaker 2: We did it.
Speaker 1: We did a few episodes this week, and one of them was about like the soft girl era. And I posed a question like can only white men offer like this soft girl era? So did your mama get a soft life or what?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, this is such a good question. You know what's funny is like my mom is actually my mom is super traditional. We come from we come from a Maryland Maryland PG County, you know, traditional Black Christian family, and so my mom is actually quite traditional. She she was an actor, and she became a teacher and was an educator for many years. But she stayed at home while I, you know, while my dad was working and while I was at school, and she was a stay at home parent. And so I don't know, is that the off life? Like I have two kids now, and I know what it's like to stay at home with your kids for extended periods of time. I don't know if being a stay at home parent is the soft life. Is not soft life, It's not soft nothing about that. But I do have to hand it to Shila, my mom, because she she is about that soft life though, Like now that I think about it, like she loves taking her trips to wine country, She loves her Soafvion blanc her Veonier like my mom will she will take a weekend trip.
Speaker 2: Honey. Okay, I'm here for it, yes mama, yes, yes, all right. So let's be really, have you ever had to push back against a producer or a network that was trying to water you down or order down your voice or your point of view?
Speaker 3: Yes, I definitely have had to push back. Oh gosh, there have been so many of these moments. And I'm trying to think of a specific story. And while I'm thinking of that specific story, I'll just say that those are the moments where I've really I feel like I've really grown up.
Speaker 2: Is when you.
Speaker 3: Have to you have to state your case as to why this is important and why you are the one to tell it. You have to find a way to defend yourself and like pitch yourself in a way that's firm but also professional. And then you got to back it up, right, like then you actually gotta you got to back it up with the with the final result and show that yes, you were the right person to tell this story.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I can remember there was there was this really there was a scoop that I was really proud of when I was a correspondent, had I had found this story of this mother and daughter who had been separated on their journey to the US. They were coming from South America and they had been separated and there were forces that were trying to get them back together. And I was documenting this process of their reunification and someone male correspondent from the network actually had had one of his producers call me and ask for the contact to the story for the story. He had asked for the mother and daughter for their contact information because he wanted to take the story from me. And so this isn't one of those situations where I had to push back and say why I'm the person to tell the story, but I had to say no, this is a scoop that was hard fought. I went out there and sourced this. I went out there and did the interviews. I built the trust. This is something that a lot of people don't realize, like it takes time to build trust with the people that you're interviewing as a journalist. So that was one of those moments where I had to stand my ground and say no, I've worked really hard for this and you're not just gonna come up in here and take this out from under my feet. So it does get It can get very very competitive, very intense when you're working at the national news level.
Speaker 2: Is there something common that someone will just be like, Hey, give me all the information for this shit she was working on. I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Is that common? It can happen.
Speaker 3: It does happen more than you would think because they're a highers when you work at a legacy news network, and sometimes people think that just because they are working on a more prominent or high profile show than you, or perhaps they've had more time in the industry, sometimes they can just assume that they have the right to do that. I have the right to take your hard work from you, and that's when we remind them that no, you cannot. I found that there are a lot of moments like that in my career where it's like just being underestimated, you know, and having to Santanto's down and say, no, you're not. You can underestimate me if you want, but I'm going to prove you wrong.
Speaker 2: Period we talked back, can identify with it completely.
Speaker 3: I was gonna I'm sure you have I want to hear well.
Speaker 2: I just think so. When we joined the network, people treated us as all right, So we started our show on the network, so we didn't like necessarily get it out of the mud, you know, Like our first episode was on a network, so we were seen as NEPO babies because of our relationship to Charlamagne, and so they didn't and.
Speaker 1: We embraced that here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because more people have to be in position. Yeah, more people need to be in position to put their people on right. I would never be jealous of an Apple baby. I wish more black people were in position to help their community, you know. But we got a little pushback from other people on the network, you.
Speaker 2: Know that was like do y'all even deserve to be here? Kind of energy? You know, and how did you.
Speaker 3: Respond to it or how did you navigate that?
Speaker 1: We're five years in, so.
Speaker 2: We're five years in no way and just always kind always you know, looking at the bright side, you know, and be enjoyous about it and just continue to do our thing and still supporting those people who didn't even think we belonged here. You know, we didn't, weren't negative or nasty toward anybody. We just and we're going to prove to you that we belong here just like you. You know, and I think that's the energy given this five years.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know, we don't put our eyes us on the internet. So that's how we have had to get it out the mud because that is the easy route. But we are smart and funny black women, so we don't have to stoop to those levels. That's yea, it was a little bit long, much easier, exactly.
Speaker 3: I feel like we don't get enough credit for keeping our clothes on, to be honest with.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, right, that is, that's a whole it's a real skill set, it's true. But what is like, what's that first story that made you feel like I'm a real fucking journalist?
Speaker 2: All right, but hold on, before you asked that you are a real journalist, because how you interviewing us? We ain't supposed to be answering no questions for you? Was like, how did that happen? Well, tell me how that made you?
Speaker 3: You're talking about me, I'm doing that to you. But you know, I'm sorry. I should have I should have stayed the conversation that was going to happen, because I can't turn it off at this point.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry. No, it's all right, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I prefer conversations. I hate interviews, job interviews, interviews. I prefer like conversational episodes anyway where yeahs too. But what was that, like, that one story that made you feel like, man, I'm a real journalist.
Speaker 3: Mmm, okay, Well, honestly, I think even when I think about the very beginnings of my career, I studied broadcast journalism at the University of Florida, and this wasn't no fancy story or nothing, but I think it really galvanized the fact that I wanted to do this as a career. I can remember feeling so proud of gathering my first radio journalism story. I went out on the streets to interview unhouse people about a new ordinance that was going to affect them. And again, this is like just like a minor story that I did. I was as a college student, but I remember feeling that sense of pride about it, that sense of pride of being able to amplify voices that are unheard, And I was like, oh wow, I really this feels like an intersection of a lot of things that make me super passionate and just fired up.
Speaker 2: And then I would say.
Speaker 3: A story that really kind of made me feel like, oh yeah, I'm like, we're in the big leagues now. That was the Mueller Special Council investigation back in twenty nineteen, and that was the first time that I really got to go, like in Capitol Hill and you know, just running through the hallways with my crew was I was tracking down Congress people in the hallway doing those you know, quick interviews, and I was just like, ooh, I can feel the electricity of this, and I can feel the power of this. And that was a really special moment to just be surrounded by so many sharp peers and really the most powerful leaders in our country.
Speaker 2: Now. It le me, actually, this has there ever been a time where you feel like I gotta take a break like this, ain't it. I'm not feeling it. I need a break or I need a pivot because of your work.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, and I did. I did pivot. You know, I don't. I don't do full time journalism or correspondent work anymore because I kind of got burnt out. I started covering hard news in twenty sixteen, although I had done a lot of entertainment in Hollywood reporting before that. So twenty sixteen, jumping in Trump election and from there. I just feel like American politics has become so intense and so ratcheted up. And as someone who covered the election of Trump, who covered COVID, who covered the social and racial unrest of twenty twenty, it's it can be a lot, you know. And I've covered shootings, and those are really horrible to be interviewing, you know, the families of people who were victims of shootings. And so I had this moment. It was right after the birth of my second child, which was a surprise in twenty twenty one. I had this moment where I had a choice to make. I could go back to work for my maternity leave, and my boss had just told me that I was going to be on the road for three weeks out of the month I had, you know, a six month baby at this time. Or I could pivot and I could bet on myself and I could take a chance and leap and hope that the net would appear. And I chose the latter because I knew I was also choosing my family too, and the thought of just being away from my kids for that long, for that much of their tiny little lives, was just too much for me to bear. So I chose to pivot into freelance reporting and being self employed, and that was I was four years ago now, three or four years ago, and I don't regret it one bit. I can't tell you how liberating it is to be able to set my own schedule and choose projects light the bright Side that I really feel aligned with values wise and just that are bringing more optimism and positivity and joy into the world. That is the thing that I was craving whenever I was in the trenches as a reporter, was just like, can we not just give the people some good news every now and then? We've given them a lot of bad news? Can we just bring them to joy? So that's what I love about what I get to do now on the bright Side is like interview experts, celebrities, authors, people who can help us learn on our journey of becoming who we are, but also laugh too, like y'all are smart and funny women like we you know, laughter is the real medicine.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite episode of the bright Side so far? So hard to choose. I'll give you.
Speaker 3: I'll give you like a top three, so Isa Ray is probably.
Speaker 2: Very high at the top.
Speaker 1: I checked that one out.
Speaker 2: I love her for all the obvious reasons.
Speaker 3: She's such a pioneer and a trailblazer, and I just love I unexpectedly was like super awkward during the interview and then just realized that she was the perfect person to be awkward with because she's the original awkward black girl, and so I just love.
Speaker 2: Her for keeping it real.
Speaker 3: I also loved interviewing Raven Simone. Ravend is kind of who I've based my entire personality around as a Disney girl, someone who watched Disney Channel growing up. Yes, exactly, So I would say those two are some of my favorites. And then recently I just interviewed this woman named doctor Emily Anhlt, and she wrote a book called Flex Your Feelings, and it's all about how to strengthen the traits that we already have so that we can better design our own life. She talked about self awareness, how that's an underrated trait that we all have and we can do exercises to build it up. Shelter talked about curiosity playfulness, which is a big one. I'm really looking for ways to play in my life right now.
Speaker 2: Right Well, do you fly?
Speaker 1: Do you have a kite.
Speaker 2: You know what I don't. Should I get a kite? Yes?
Speaker 1: Costco has these amazing kites. I got four of them and they're big too. They have like.
Speaker 2: Seventy six in every episode.
Speaker 1: Like no, I'm staying to tap into that inner child, like I don't know, Like if you don't ride bike, fly kite, like, those things help you definitely tap in, you know. In today innerch out is so I'd be so happy flying a kite, okay, and run across this field. I know people be looking at my butt run across the damn field by my house, But it's fun.
Speaker 3: I love that for you so much. Get a kite like it's the new go touch grass kite.
Speaker 1: Probably would love them. The kids probably would love them too, you know.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so we're living like in this world where social media a lot of people only get their news and I'm fifteen seconds on Instagram. Yeah okay, so like clicks versus credibility. Okay, how has it chased for views and clicks changed things? How news is being produced now? How do you think it's changed?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I honestly think that news institutions need to do a better job of meeting audiences where they are absolutely, which is on social media, and so I think there's still even more room to be done in that department. And what I think is going to fill that vacuum is individual journalists or individual creators. Now they're pros and cons to that, because you know, for all the faults and flaws that people rightfully point out with the media, the media doesn't always get it right.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: The journalists go through training. Not only do they go through you know, their schooling where they might get a degree in journalism, you also go through ethics training when you work at one of the big news networks. And this is something that we do, we have to do every year. And it's okay, how do we how do we know that our story is airtight and we can go to air with this, or how do we know that this source is reliable? We go through seminars to really reinforce that knowledge. What is risky and what kind of makes me nervous about individual creators filling the vacuum of journalists or trying to replace journalists is I'm not sure that individual creators have that same level of training. And so I think you can see that with large scale current events like a war, let's say, if an end if a creator does not report the facts correctly, that can further inflame and create more toxicity and and perhaps even more danger if they're spreading misinformation, the onus is now on the audience to try to decipher, okay, what's real what's not, and that can be really tricky. Like it's even hard for me. I'm someone who's been through hours of training and how to detect truth versus falsehood, and it's still it's still tough for me. I think there are a few things that you can do, though, to try to safeguard I mean a lot. It's it's human nature to just read a headline and just want to run with it and go tell everyone about it or post it. But read the full article, you know, do yourself the favor of actually getting the proper context. Do a quick fact check. That's pretty easy to do through a search engine. There are also media fact check websites that you can meet. You think about the fact.
Speaker 1: Check stuff on social media though, like you know how they have the fact checkers? Yeah, because what's the truth? What is the truth? And how are they determining what's facts? Because through COVID, for example, right, a lot of the things that were being fact checked, you know, things that independent journalists were putting out. You can call them TikTok journalists, you know, just regular people who probably were doing like super deep dives on like the medical things around vaccinations and stuff like that. We're being fact checked, and now here we are in twenty twenty five and we find a lot of those things were actually true. Right, So who's checking the fact checkers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is a very good question. This is a very good question, and I'm not sure we are going to solve this problem today. M I do think the more that social media users feel empowered to find information for themselves, the more discerning we become as social media consumers. I think that's only going to help solve this problem. But look, this is going to be an ongoing conversation that involves a lot of different parties, the social media companies like you mentioned, different media outlets, de consumers themselves, and also AI is a huge thing.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm shocked as I'm scrolling on social.
Speaker 3: Media, scare seeing things that are clearly AI, and nobody in the comments is picking up on it.
Speaker 2: They're taking it at face value.
Speaker 1: A week. Are you here really with us?
Speaker 2: Right? That's what we're gonna say, Sion with today's date on it, just to make sure you're not even AI, like do the robot we can know it, don't you know?
Speaker 3: Don't you notice how AI has like weird movements or something, or like the hand is always a little bit off.
Speaker 2: It's like this or something. They're getting better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is I just feel like this past week they just ramped up a lot of AI ship and it's a lot of Uh. It's really weird though, because I want to know who's behind these It's a lot of black stereotype type AI post I've seen in the last week, like super Ratchet, whatever you could think about. It's being like, I want to know, is it actually a black creator behind this or now do we you just have these other people, these others creating a narrative about who black people are now via AI And it's scary.
Speaker 3: It is scary. I didn't, I didn't. I don't know if I've seen those. I need to see those. That's that is really disconcerting.
Speaker 2: Girl is a mess. It is a miss some of the stuff that they're creating. Do you feel like AI could potentially take journalistic jobs.
Speaker 1: We don't know if the people reporting the news is AI and not so at this one, right, we don't know. Like that's what last week taught me. If I didn't see you in person, I don't know. I haven't seen you in person yet. Are we really ever do something? If I ever do anything wrong, I'm blaming AI.
Speaker 2: What was not me?
Speaker 3: It was my AI twin. I did not do it.
Speaker 1: It was I promise that movie. Like, that's what's happening right now. Y'all haven't watched the movies movie Surrogate.
Speaker 2: No, yes, the world watch that movie two day?
Speaker 1: Watch us today?
Speaker 2: Do y'all watch Black Mirror? Yes?
Speaker 1: Same shit.
Speaker 3: It's weird to see stuff in Black Mirror come to life right off screen. It's very alarming, But I think it's actually I feel like Black Mirror is actually disclosure for what has already been happening. And so we talk about art imitating life versus life imitating art, but I feel like they are now acting out it's biblical. They're acting out scenes from the Bible, right, So we don't know if what was created first, you know, Black mirra. I feel like a lot of that stuff was already happening, and then they just threw it into a movie for disclosure.
Speaker 1: Let you know, like, yeah, we're doing this shit.
Speaker 2: This is the Simpsons. We just need to go back and watch all the Simpsons episodes. We're telling us everything that's happening. They told us if ninety three day this shit was going to happen, you know, so we need to watch it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I got a question for you, as someone who's covered Hollywood, that's one celebrity story that had you screaming like, this cannot be real. This cannot be real life. Spilty girl, It's spilty. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I can talk about this on the show. I'm gonna talk about it anyways. Okay, hold on, I have to find this. I have to find this story.
Speaker 2: This is not a.
Speaker 3: Story that I reported, but I came across it when I was I guess I was just like on a pop culture deep dive one day. So there's this Lee Daniels movie called The paper Boy that Nicole Kidman is in with Zac Efron. This is so weird. I can't believe I'm telling this story. I just thought this was really strange when I came across it. So there's a Lee Daniel's movie called The Paper Boy and it's was zac Efron and Nicole Kidman, and there's a scene where zac Efron gets stung by a jellyfish, and you know how you're supposed to like pee on someone whenever they get stung by a jellyfish and that will make the pain go away. So Nicole Kidman actually peed on zac Efron for real. He gets no, wait what, No, I don't know. I really that's a freaky shit right, look it up. It's crazy. I couldn't believe that was You know your.
Speaker 1: Voice sounds like Amber Rolls a little bit?
Speaker 2: Did you know that my voice?
Speaker 3: Yes, hold on, let me change it up real quick. Let me hold on, let me I'm gonna come up in here with a whole different voice.
Speaker 2: Now hold on a minute.
Speaker 1: You don't want to sound like Ambroe. What came out?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to sound like me. This is me. I don't know what y'all talking about? Now, STIPs tea. All right. Let me ask you this, what advice would you give to a young journalists trying to stay authentic.
Speaker 3: Trying to say authentic that thing that you're afraid of that's inside of you, that thing that you're always trying to get away from, that thing that you think makes you weird. Do it, girl, Just lean into it. Do that thing, because that's that's what's gonna set you apart. That's your unique superpower. That's that thing, that's that secret sauce.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, I guess, don't try to be an authentic I mean, don't try to be authentic. Just be authentic, Yes, to stay two to yourself.
Speaker 3: But I think, I mean, I feel like I'm still just discovering what it means to be authentic all the time, to be honest with you, because you know, this is this is actually what we were talking about earlier, like code switching, like there is there can be this certain expectation or to conform or to play it safe. I played it safe a lot. I played it safe a lot in my career, and that is the enemy of authenticity. And what I've found is amazing about getting older is just that need to conform or to fit in or to do things the way that they've been done is really falling away, and it's revealing my true authentic self and it's really freeing.
Speaker 2: Have you ever gotten in trouble are punished for telling the truth? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I've pissed some people off. Now, I've done some stories where people are mad at me, but that's honestly in the journalism world, like if especially if you've got both sides mad at you, you kind of are doing your job because you've found some sort of nuance or you've been and fair. That's something that I think we're missing a lot of today, is just fairness.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Is there a moment that you couldn't put in a story that you still think about today, Like, damn, I wanted to I wanted to say that, I wanted to share that, but I just I couldn't for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there are so many like this. I can't think of one specifically, but that is just part of the game, and this is this is how it works in any creative endeavor. I think like you're always going to have people speaking into the final vision, even if you're Martin Scorsese. You've got people at the movie studio who are going to tell you what can and can't go in the final cut. Some directors get final cut, but I think just learning how to take feedback and learning how to take those notes and realizing that, oh, yeah, I'm not going to be able to get everything in that I want to that I want to say, Like, learning that that's part of the job is really healthy.
Speaker 1: Do you think you know in the current climbate? Can integrity survive in the current media culture?
Speaker 3: I'm tired. That question just made me tired to think about because woof integrity?
Speaker 2: Do we know her?
Speaker 1: Is she still around? She's absolutely around. It's a few people I subscribe to. I'll give an example. I like Candis Owens. You know what I'm saying. I feel like she's one of the people who does it right and she gives you sources right, So if she says something you know, you can go check it out. You know a lot of times when I watch her shows is more of confirmation for things I have already read. Right, But if you are actually just depending on a person to give you information, that's probably where you're going wrong at right. So I think she's one of the to me, one of the journalists that actually gets it right and has integrity when reporting on what's happened is not just her opinion about things.
Speaker 3: What I've noticed about Candace Owens because I either interviewed her or she was tangentially part of a story that I did about black Republicans a few years ago. What's interesting to me about Candace is that she truly does seem to be a free thinker, in that she allows herself and gives herself permission to change her beliefs and change her ideas, especially you know, as the year's gone on, as she would take a certain position on one thing and then has had a change of tune, especially you know when it comes to the Trump administration, she's been more critical lately. Does that make you respect her more as a voice? How do you feel about the fact that she tends to change her beliefs?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that when you are learning, you will always be a hypocrite, right because we talked about this yesterday, when you take in new information like what you thought yesterday could definitely change today. I do, like I said, I watched Kandice Owen, so I see how she has pivoted regarding to Trump, and so have I. You know what I'm saying, because some things he's doing that he said he would do, and then this war shit. No, I'm not with that, you know what I'm saying, Like, I feel like anybody who would have gotten in office, we would be in war right now. And I think a lot of people who probably voted for him thought that we wouldn't be at war right now, you know what I'm saying. So Canda's owens also thought that they wouldn't be at war. So I don't think that she pivots in a way to where it's just like dishonest journalism, though, you know, I feel like if you can be objective and you can say, hey, I got that wrong and here's why I am today, I can respect somebody like that.
Speaker 2: Are there any platform people doing it right right now? To you? Like, did you subs subscribe to?
Speaker 3: To be honest with you, I don't watch the news as much as I did when I was working in that space, and I found that taking a break from it was so good for my mental health because I used to have it on all the time, all the time. And I still am a voracious consumer of it. But I do I tend to read more, read more articles than I do watch or listen because I do feel like I'll listen to I'll listen to like New York Times, the daily just to get I like how in depth their coverage it is. But there's I do find there's a lot of sensationalism, a lot of when it comes to video or you know, cable news, there's a lot of kind of extreme opinions or extreme attitudes, and I'm I'm always trying to go for the least I want to hear the least extreme opinion. And there's actually a tool that I really like is called blind Spot.
Speaker 1: Is that the is that the one where they like tell you which news outlets are in the middle, super far left or super far right or in the middle. So the ones in the middle are usually the ones you can trust the most.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, I don't know if that is not.
Speaker 1: Trust the most, but yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's called ground dot news slash blind Spot, and they tell you the news stories that had little to no reporting on the left and the news stories that had little to no reporting on the right. And it's just really interesting to compare and really burst your own bubble and you know, get out of your own echo echo chamber and see what stories you might have been missing.
Speaker 1: We want to play a couple of games. Can we can we hop into that right quick. Okay, let's do it news related right, So like a little rapid fire segment. So this is like tweet this like so if you.
Speaker 2: Use X at all, I stopped using XY.
Speaker 1: We need too. But it's just sometimes I go in there like certain things are going on. But this game is like if you see this headline, what would be your if you see this tweet? What would your response be to it? As a journalist? That's there like an instructions. Okay, so here's this tweet. All mainstream media is bought and biased. With somebody worre to tweet that, what would your response be as a journalist.
Speaker 3: All mainstream media is bought and biased? You know what my response would be. My response would be, come along with me as I report this story. I would I would want to show you the ins and outs of what I'm doing. I would take you along for the process. And I don't think that's something that the media does enough.
Speaker 2: I agree number two. Number two, Black journalists can't be objective when reporting on black issues.
Speaker 3: Object response, that's so rude. I am a professional. Okay. Also, yeah, no that's not true. I mean I've definitely done a lot of stories that like if you have a if you have a one dimensional view of what a black person is or how they view the world, that you would be surprised by the stories that I told. But my I think my goal as a journalist was to always, you know, do the unexpected and go to unexpected places, like.
Speaker 2: I go was saying.
Speaker 3: I did a story about black conservatives and Black Republicans and where those values come from and how they're evolving, and it elicited a really interesting response.
Speaker 2: But get out of here with that. Of course I can be objective. Watch me.
Speaker 1: TikTokers are the new investigative journalist. Somebody just tweeted that and you saw it on your timeline.
Speaker 3: Girl pleasement. We can investigate. We can investigate black girl shower talk. We can investigate the man who's saying you'll.
Speaker 2: Be married you in those uburbs.
Speaker 3: We can investigate that kind of stuff. But see, here's the thing here, here's the thing about investigative reporting. Like, investigative reporting is so intense. There are so many lawyers involved, there are so many producers involved. It has to go through so many checks and balances. Trust me, you don't want to you don't want to get into that game if you ain't ready like to see what's gonna happens.
Speaker 2: I almost to say about that right next one. If the story doesn't go viral, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Matter, absolutely not, absolutely not. If viral is our new metric for worthiness, We're We're screwed, We're screwed. There are so many important stories that fly under the radar, and honestly, I feel like in our hyper connected world, we are not meant to necessarily know about all the things that are going on and be so wrapped up in everything that's going on. I think that's like the price that we pay for living in this like hyper connected world. But there are lots of stories that aren't the ones that get the most attention, that still need attention. So I'm gonna say absolutely not. Was it supposed to be rapid fire? Was I supposed to say like one or two words? Because I'm not good at that.
Speaker 1: No? No, that's good, Okay, it's perfect, all right, So this is the next game, So would you report on it? Is this game? Right? So you know I'm on it, I'll pass or only if it's breaking. Essentially, you don't have to use those words. A secret group of moms and Beverly Hills is microdosing mushrooms to survive PTA meetings.
Speaker 2: I'm on it.
Speaker 3: I am on it like lickety split. I'll be there next time.
Speaker 2: Nixtlan a TikTok trend where gen z ors quit capitalism by faking their own deaths and moving to the forest to start commutes.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm on it. Catch me on the next plane. I'll be on that forest island.
Speaker 1: This is for Hollywood. Leaked group chat reveals elite NYC influencer influencers are hiring body doubles to attend events for them.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm on it.
Speaker 3: These are these are all fire, These are all banger stories like this is.
Speaker 2: I want to watch these stories.
Speaker 1: You know me too.
Speaker 2: This all sounds good. Okay. A pastor starts say OnlyFans to fundraise for his new church and it's working.
Speaker 1: And the deacon slinging d you know what, I'll pass.
Speaker 2: I got time.
Speaker 3: No, I ain't got time for that trifle mess.
Speaker 1: No, hold on, this is this is the one. A whistleblow claims AI generated news anchors are being used to spread political propaganda in Swing states.
Speaker 3: Oof, definitely on it, Like that needs to be reported.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's sorry happening, black Mirra for sure? Are you there?
Speaker 2: Are you? So? My name is Simone.
Speaker 3: It has been a pleasure speaking with you today.
Speaker 2: All right. So we have a segment on our show called Dumb Bitch Story and you share a time where you got played by the opposite six in life? Anytime in life where they they played you.
Speaker 3: Do you have a story a time where somebody played me, like when I got cheated on her something? Mm hmmm, yeah, yeah, there was a time. There was a time in college I was dating this boy, and yeah, I started to have my my doubts and my questions, and so I hopped on the I hopped on the old Facebook. I did my little slew thing, you know, I did my investigative journalism, and come to find out he had a whole girlfriend someplace else in a different city. And that was that. That was that was Yeah, he had a whole life.
Speaker 2: What did you say to him? How'd you end it? I think it just.
Speaker 3: I think I called and it gave like a really ratchet phone call. Honestly, you know, you know when you have to do that sometimes mm hmmm. I actually, now that I think about it, My favorite favorite version of this actually a better version of this question. Another story is coming to mind. My best friend she was dating this guy at our school and he had made her watch his dog. She was watching his dog for like a week and I and then it kept getting extended, like the time kept going up and up, and she's just watching this dog, and I'm like, girl, what is going on? Like why are you just watching his dog? Where is he Why isn't he here? Come to find out he had a girl in town he was cheating on her, and I'm pretty sure he came over to their house and I happened to be there, and I like popped off on him and was going off about the dog, like why you leave this dog at my friend's house? Come and get this dog? Blah blah blah. So yeah, another another occasion where you just had to let him know, you know, like you.
Speaker 2: Just kind was the other girl allergic to the dog? Why he got the dog over there or.
Speaker 3: Something like because he got he got multiple dogs to a woman, multiple dogs.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So the first, like the first story you told, like that really wasn't a dumbbitch story because if you would have stayed right and continued to date this guy after you found out that he had another situation going on, then you would be a dumb bitch. Okay, okay, see how bad bitch you got up out of there.
Speaker 2: Okay I misunderstood. Yeah, so you never stayed after being cheated all?
Speaker 3: No, never, what's your sign, Aquarius?
Speaker 1: I thought she was about to say, Virgo. I'm gonna say that's about right, Virgos. Ain't never got cheated on, Chad. They'll warp it some type of way, like to where they're always on top.
Speaker 2: They're gonna leave too, though, They're not gonna stick around too long, don't you know about that? Really?
Speaker 1: Feel I mean the women. Yeah, my oldest sister isn't Aquarius. One of the nicest people on the planet, but when it comes to love, not the smartest, Sorry, Linda, I love you, not the smartest. But other than that, she's very brilliant. Okay, But they can get digitized a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, tell everybody where they can find you, where they can subscribe to your podcast, all your Things, plug it all.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, you can find me on social media at simone Voice. I'm not on everything, and you can also listen to the bright Side every Monday We are going to be brightening your week with laughter, knowledge, personal stories from women that are super inspiring. You can listen to the bright Side wherever you get your podcasts, including on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Owing so much for joining us, so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ladies.
Speaker 3: Y'all are the best. It's such an honor to be here.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, have you enjoyed this episode?
Speaker 2: Y'all?
Speaker 1: Tune in every Thursday and iHeartRadio app wherever the fuck you get your podcast that. This is age a holiday two point on Instagram's kick It Tam.
Speaker 2: Y'all is official Tam Bam on Instagram. I love y'all so much. Remember speak now what you thinking?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Never hold your news, Never hold your news.