Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, twenty five, Episode four of der Daily's I Guys Say production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. And it is Thursday, February fifteenth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, big Day. It's traditional National Wisconsin Day. It's also National gum drop Day. And it's also this is a very weird Singles Awareness Day.
Speaker 1: I refuse to be aware of singles.
Speaker 2: It's a wild like the whole thing's about like single people. Let me just read this thing that it says. There are several benefits of being unattached. Singles can come and go as they please with no regard to a partner, schedules, wants, or needs, career opportunity. A single doesn't need a consult a spouse before accepting an offer. It's also easier for a single to keep up healthy habits. There isn't anyone to sabotage their efforts to work out and eat healthily.
Speaker 1: It's a very interesting take. I do remember, and this might have been bullshit, Like there's a lot of data from that. Remember that there was that website for people who wanted to cheat on their spouse. And they came out with data and they were like, our most popular day is the day after Valentine's Day because people are disappointed by whatever they didn't get. Yeah. Yeah, empower yourself the power there you go, be aware of your potential to be a single crap.
Speaker 3: February thirteen is National side piece Day.
Speaker 1: To take care of them real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, side piece awareness. We're raising awareness around the side.
Speaker 3: I mean I've accidentally been a side piece and once I found out, please know that that man had a bad day.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Did you find out in one of those ways where like the you know, the fantastic way where someone rolls up like in the middle of somethings.
Speaker 1: Do you get a text? Do you get a d M? How did you or how did you put it together?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay okay?
Speaker 3: And I was like, first of all, I said, you met at the wrong person, right, he's like and as a woman's stocker, as a woman, woman a woman, bullshit, we need to cut this the fuck out. Bitch. I don't know you.
Speaker 1: Oh you nothing right, you don't know it all right?
Speaker 4: Woman a woman.
Speaker 3: No, there's no loyalty here. I'm not in a relationship here. If I had known he was in a relationship, I would not have talked to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now.
Speaker 3: Other times I dealt with men who were in relationships, Yes, and I made that and I made the decision on my own. But the time there are also times that I did not do it. And most of the men I've dealt with in my life have not been in relationships. And the times that I was not trying to be a side piece is when some girl called me upset. Sometimes I'll be crying on the phone.
Speaker 1: I'm like, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, whoa, whoa. Yeah, I'm not I don't know.
Speaker 3: You also break up with this dude for my benefit for yours? Yeah, Like, oh you want me to break up from girl. Listen, he already cheated on you with me. I don't want to talk to him because I know he'll cheat on me with someone else. The thing is like, because people are talking about like Alicia Keys the halftime show, and it's just like, oh, her voice is a comeback. So she saw that woman's husband. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Of it all.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, the whole thing of like she stole that woman's husband. What that does is it takes all of the responsibility away from the man he is married to somebody she is not. If he doesn't tell her, fine, even if he does tell If I okay, he tells her, she's like, fine, I don't have a problem with that. You can't make a man stay, don't want to leave. You can't make a man le don't.
Speaker 4: Want to stay.
Speaker 3: It's a known fact. So she did not steal Swiss beats from nobody. Swiss beats left his wife.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's the that's this, that's the accurate description.
Speaker 3: That's the action. If someone steps out in there marriage, just because they stepped out in their marriage another person and I pop up and go, hey, look at these ankles.
Speaker 1: Come on the ankles is what got him the wrist.
Speaker 3: That's why it cover them, the ankle on the wrist. The shoulders. Believe in high school's like why are shoulders covers? He gives a ship and then I have heard men talk about shoulders and I was like, oh, I didn't know. Yea, but yeah, that whole concept is drupid. Yeah, but hi, I'm here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We we do have to introduce everyone, all three of us, because our listeners have no idea who's talking right now. My name is Jack O'Brien aka, and I don't ever want to take my Baja Blast with cream make it a sold base. Oh just please miss me. That is courteous. See ye seek your full on the Discord twelve twenty nine. Shout out to you. Shout out to Tago Belt trying to drop a Baja Blast ice cream that is cream based. It's not a sowrebet. It's a cream based Baja Blast. Baha Blast is not one of the beverages that I can conceive of being good in a creamy state. Nah, miles, we did not get your opinion on that, But it's okay, that's better. You don't man, you know, I'm just trying to It's like gatoring, Like it's like trying to be like, do you like your gator ride with cream? Like? No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: What this is refreshing me with that? How blast is like Blast gives me the feeling of like going down a water slide, like it's refreshment. I don't. I don't want to cream milk in that process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, well, have you ever had a frosted lemonade from Chick fil A?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I've always had a sweet tea when I'm there.
Speaker 3: So a frosted lemonade from Chick fil A is basically a lemonade with soft served ice cream in.
Speaker 4: It, And how is delicious?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well then I can I mean I can see that's like a cream sickle type thing, except with like.
Speaker 3: Because I enjoy a Baja blast. So this is all you have to do, is you truly take a Baja blast and you could do the ice cream the carbonation out, reduce.
Speaker 4: It to a syrup. You flavor your ice cream.
Speaker 3: I think the problem you have is carbonation.
Speaker 1: It might be a carbonator. I mean, I like a coke float, a root beer float, like, so all of this.
Speaker 3: So all of this is I've had a coke float float, a cheer wind float, cheer Wine's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All they have to do instead of making this an ice cream, make this a float situation. I'm gonna sprite float. It's very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeahah, ginger all float too. I love float.
Speaker 3: If they do a float as opposed to a true true ice cream, you're fine.
Speaker 1: For some reason, my brain and I acknowledge I'm wrong here, but my brain has trouble crossing the barrier into float. If it's not a brown liquid for some reason, like coke and root beer makes sense to me. I guess orange, I would, I could fuck with orange because of cream. Just try it, try.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just I need to get more comfortable ginger all you know that's a step down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, least ginger seem Ineral's medicine. So I don't understand how.
Speaker 2: How I took my medicine with ice cream. It probably nicates the medical benefits.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles grow. Oh yes, it's the heartbroken Miles Gray. AKA.
Speaker 2: Now that a fleeing is over, you got time, time your Mariado. Stop crying, stop crying, stop crying.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Oster's Dinner.
Speaker 2: We gotta b shakes and frastball.
Speaker 3: You're sorrow, stop crying, stop crying.
Speaker 1: Stop crying.
Speaker 2: And that's a reference to me getting dumped at Chipotle and Oyckster. Thank you for taking my romantic l's and putting them in song forms, Salvador Chollie appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I don't think i've listened to this podcast in a while.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the singing is.
Speaker 1: It's been I mean, it's been almost four years. I think the last time you were on that.
Speaker 3: Must have been what happened gotten into your back? He's really hit your comfort level, really just in your grunge. Era is giving us nineties realness. I applau. Don't even know what that word is. I don't yanling is. I don't what yarling is.
Speaker 2: That's like when it's like it's like pearl jam, like from Theties, like how people say.
Speaker 3: The nickelback situation. Yea real mad TV making fun of them, going, you sound like me?
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 1: Well, Miles. We are thrilled, blessed to be joined in our third seat by a hilarious comedian, actress, correspondent for The Daily Show, and now author. You've seen her on The Great American Joke Off, heard her voice on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me, and as Honeybee in the Fox animated Sickcome the Great North, and now you can read her words in her new book, Hello Friends, Stories of Dating, Destiny and Day Jobs. She's currently on tour with the book. Might be coming to a stand up comedy theater near you. Please welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Say we did it. We are from here.
Speaker 1: You are here how is it? How's how's book tour life?
Speaker 3: It's simultaneous with the stand up So does.
Speaker 1: That make it like more? Did it make it easier?
Speaker 2: Is it more stressful to do kind of both?
Speaker 3: Or how like like I'll have like press during the day and then shows at night, or like book signing. I get a book signing and all into Virginia last Saturday. So it's really just it's just doing all it's doing like multiple things at once, so like once I'm in a city, like, let's let's hit this. And so it's actually just capitalizing on the dates that I already have, right, And so it's saying to people like while I'm doing a show, like hey, I've got a book signing on Saturday, or if I'm at the book sign and being like, hey, I have a show today, right, So they've kind of been helping each other, which is what the goal is.
Speaker 1: Oh how much long are you doing it for?
Speaker 3: Probably in the March. I mean I have stand up dates going into you know, all year. But the crazy thing is it's like you can't get as many because like when the strike hit, anybody that could tell a joke because we know how long the strike was gonna last. So anybody that could tell a joke in any form or fashion, like got all these club dates. Everybody got all these club dates because nobody was working. And so now you're just like, I'm just I'm just trying to get some dates and so but like now stuff is back because I was talking on my to comic that I know, and he was like, man, I booked on the stand up the strike. What's happening and that we're back, and I'm just exhausted and I don't want to do these dates, but I gonna do these dates because I put cause already booked all this stuff. You know long the strike was gonna last. And it's just like, well, dang up, yeah stress well yeah, So now I'm just trying to get these dates that people are going to start canceling because they're schedules are overrun. But you know, it's it's good. I'm excited. The book has been interesting to see the reception that people have for it. It's been really good to talk about it, and writing a book is hard. And my manager canned me into it and somehow to sell it as.
Speaker 1: It happens, as it happens. How long did it take you to write the book a couple of days.
Speaker 3: It takes like a year.
Speaker 4: Jeez, takes like a year.
Speaker 3: And even though and I am a manager, tricked me, h.
Speaker 1: Like it'll be easy, you know.
Speaker 3: Just no. He was like, hey, what if you wrote a book? And I was like that sounds very hard. No, thank you, And he's like, well, I said, I don't think anybody wants to read a book for me. I'm not just what are we talking about. He's like, let's just have a meeting. Let's just take a meeting and see what happens.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh right.
Speaker 3: And then I took a meeting, and then I took three more meetings, and he was like, congratulations, she sold a book. And I was like what, Yeah, they're going to give you money to write a book.
Speaker 2: I was like, yo, this mother, Like I thought we were just talking to those people.
Speaker 3: I thought we was just talking to these people, like just saying like, hey, girl, are you going Yeah? And then apparently the book got sold and so now I had to write anandscape of book. So but when they give you money, you have to do stuff. I don't know if you've heard of.
Speaker 2: Jobs, but that's the hard don't prove.
Speaker 3: Don't approof at all? Who invented this? Who betted money? The bastard. But yeah, so he tricked me, and then people bought it, and so then I had to write a whole book. And I started the process by asking Michelle Bhutto, who wrote a book, how in the hell do you do this? And she recommended She was like, well, just start with stories that are too long for you to tell on stage.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And I started from there, and then I filled in, like, you know, stories from growing up and like being a daily show and like stand up and you know, I needed to do summer sock theater. So I started from there and then filled in stories for my life.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's easy enough. Everybody needs to go out get it, make duels, say and her manager some money. Yeah, this deal.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to make sure my mother never works at Amazon. There, just trying to keep her honest and off these no man, just off these bezos streets.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll say we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in the moment. First, a couple of the things we're talking about. We're gonna check in with evangelicals. See what they were up to during the Super Bowl. I mean, it was a big day for Jesus. The Super Bowl ads were all over the place, and they had some parallel programming happening. They had like the Puppy Bowl for the real hardcore evangelicals. Before we get to any of that, do we'll say, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: Nine foot Christmas tree storage tope?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, nine foot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a big I got a six foot or like a like an artificial one.
Speaker 1: I don't have.
Speaker 2: I just keep putting in the same box that is starting to fall up art I probably need.
Speaker 1: To look into a tote now. Actually, now that I think about this, well.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put it. Well, they have like storage bags you can put them in, and they have the storage toes because like it's gonna go on the shed, So you can't put it in the box right because the trential downpour the other day, the box will just melt it inside the shed. So the morshin here. So yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Is a way too, because the Christmas tree is still in the living room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, take it apart what's what's the limit for you? How long does the Christmas how what's the earliest it goes up? And what's the latest it's this stays up.
Speaker 3: Well, we put it up. We put it up like in December, but my mother was like, next year we should put it up on Thanksgiving, which I'm fine with that. But we were well in the January before we took that tree down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I took the mind we didn't have the time for whatever reason. I felt like when MLK Day came, I was like, it can't be up for m LK Day. That was like, That's what I gave myself was a soft deadline. Was like, once another holiday hits, that's fine. I feel like into early January, you're good, You're good.
Speaker 4: But mid to late I proved that message.
Speaker 3: But like once we were hit, I think we were hitting, Like mid January, I was just like, this is no, this is wild, this is not I mean, we're doing but we're doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have crazy loyalty to certain I think I think it is like the big boxes, like boxes, boxes that store big items, like I have that twelve foot whitch Halloween decoration and I'm still fucking like, you know, two and a half seasons in, I'm still fucking with the original box and it is tatters. Yeah yeah, function My.
Speaker 3: Question is is the box and would the box be exposed to the elements.
Speaker 1: It was last year and then now I just have it in a room that we don't go into that much because I want to protect the box more than anything. Just like this box is really is a good box.
Speaker 3: I understand that I am a also a box person like my friend because I when I get like an eye shadow palette, I keep it in the original box, yeah, or the Vergin container is also like these this ain't wet and wild makeup, you know what I mean? Like this is like this isn't a cheap So like when I got my first, like first couple of Daily Show checks, like my really like grown up checks, I was like, I'm gonna get myself like some nice makeup, and I got like a Patmograph eye shadow palette. It was like one hundred and twenty five dollars and it's amazing. This makeup is going to be passed on to my children's children. But I won't take it on the road with me, oh, because it's one hundred and twenty five. So it sits in my house. But I'm not somebody that wears makeup every day. Sure, so when I do it, I'm like, let me go, ho, grab this patmograph. But it's in the box. All of my makeup is in the box. Yeah, everything stays in the box because it's just like, that's how I got it. If we'll keep a TV box. My mother's making me keep a TV box from one of these TVs. She's got printer boxes. Like I'm in my craft room right now and there's like boxes from different printers that she has. You're like, well, if you got the boxing, put it back in the box.
Speaker 1: A printer boxer is definitely less printer box what no.
Speaker 3: Reason stay is with the family. So I mean, even if Jesus did come back, you still pass.
Speaker 1: That bequeathing it to my children. Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Why did I even have these kids if I'm not going to give them this box.
Speaker 1: This box, printer box.
Speaker 2: This is an EPs and laser printer. You should like this.
Speaker 3: This is the first time looking at an epsom get right in front of my face.
Speaker 2: It's like my mom is the same way like she I think it's like Also this thing is like if it costs a certain amount, it's I don't throw that box out if it's it's like north of my packaging, if it's like north of one hundred and fifty dollars. And I and I think I've also adapted this habit from my mom to be like, well, you know, that's like she was like one hundred fifty bucks, Like you might you might want to put it back in the box for some reason.
Speaker 3: Cut to well, in my living room, it's like a close to seventy inch TV. So it's like I have to get this box out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah that box rent.
Speaker 3: Right, the box is seventy four inches. No, no, no, you have to leave. You have to go home, like you have to go back to the earth from whence you came. You just gonna be in my house. Yeah, No, the box needs to pay. The box needs to pay. If it's that big, you have to get out of here. Another TV box that my mom will not let me get rid of. And so it's just in my cross space for absolutely no reason, just because just because I don't have to hear her go. So you're not gonna keep the box to the wall.
Speaker 2: No, keeping the box for what But if you move, then I'll find a way to package it safely.
Speaker 1: I don't need that's always the card boxes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, what what if you move? I said, then what about all the other TVs? Yeah, there's three TV's upstairs, there's two TVs in her house. There's a TV in the living room, so TV, my brother's. We got one box. We have one hundred and forty seven TVs. Are we all gonna just strap them together? Maybe just tie a rope? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, I have to get out of his mindset, like these boxes have to get thrown away.
Speaker 1: Right well, secretly, secretly, you know, secretly.
Speaker 3: I mean just waiting for the day that she's because I know I tried to throw it away last time, and she was just like, what's she doing with the box?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: She probably heards you.
Speaker 2: She's like, you're not messing with my box right right face.
Speaker 3: I want to get out of here and try to put the Christmas.
Speaker 1: Out there, but I have to smuggle it out in small pieces, like Andie Dufrain and shosh anchor down, dropping little pieces of the box from your pant legs. I'm gonna walk the dog with just a handful of.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we are back and dull, stay sloan. We do like to also ask our I guess what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: Taylor Swift? She's just white, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think of the Republican sort of like hysteria over how they're like she's going to swing the election they.
Speaker 3: Need honestly, thank you for getting the heat off of black people to run it, because this is what you do. Know, if Kansas City would have lost the super Bowl, it would have been her fault. Yes, but they won and it's Travis Kelsey, So she doesn't get the push, she doesn't get the benefit of them winning. But she would have caught all the heat if they.
Speaker 4: Lost, right, And that's not fair.
Speaker 3: I'm not a fan of little girl, but that's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you don't need that kind of missage Andy flying that way.
Speaker 3: Right, So it was just like she was going to catch pure hell. Also, even if she's even if she told everybody to vote for a specific candidate, that's not illegal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, right, obviously, the only the thing.
Speaker 3: That's going to swing the election is the policies Republican Party. But the problem is is that nobody wants to in the same way. So when Hilary Clinton was running against Trump, I saw something on Instagram and it said, all right, let me go get up and vote for this girl. And I was like, that is perfect, that is exactly how I felt. Let me get up and vote for this girl. I'm I decided to vote for Biden. But they know that Kamala Harris has no chance, right none. So it's like, Okay, you have to run Biden against Trump because Kamala Harris has absolutely no chance. But it's they're the oldest candidates in the history of the world. Ye, like in the history of America.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the oldest.
Speaker 3: Candidates in the history of America. And John said, like on the show on Monday, he was like, the last time there were people this old was them four years.
Speaker 1: Four years ago. They broke the first time.
Speaker 3: So I was like, I was like, damn, that's why. But no, Taylor's swift anchor. I mean, all she did was just increase the sales of pony beads and letter beads and that elastic.
Speaker 1: Bead industry is booming, and that is helping by economy.
Speaker 3: Exactly, so shout out to Also, what I don't understand is like we've given Taylor's swiftfall this credit for boosting the economy when her and Beyonce had toured.
Speaker 4: Simultaneously right right right, and.
Speaker 3: People were breaking their neck literally not paying rent to go see both of them. So I'm just like, it's not only that she's gonna No, she's not gonna sway an election with the problem is that people are so disengaged that not enough people are going to vote and when, and what the Republican Party is very good at is getting their constituents out to vote. Democrats aren't paying enough attention. Also, they don't have enough money. The Republican Party sits on two hundred million dollars, the Democratic Party sits on twenty million dollars.
Speaker 2: The way Laura Trump was talking to She's like, if I am at the RNC, like, put me there. I'm putting every said quote, every single penny of RNC funds will be go to his election. It's like, you mean in legal fees. I think that's what we really talking here, because that's how so much of his pack money just went to his legal fees will, which.
Speaker 3: Is listen, this is why when white people have the nerve to look at black people or people of color and go, well, how do we You can't ask us how to do anything. Y'all know exactly how this works. I'm I'm very exhausted by the white person who doesn't understand how America works, or the man who doesn't understand while women are still going through stop it. Quit playing in my face. If you're playing with me, at least that they'd be a board and dice out. Stop playing with me. There's no video game console on right now, sitting in the living room meeting nachos, So stop playing with me, you understand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm just like one.
Speaker 3: America is not about freedom. America's about money. The day that everybody can acknowledge that America is a business. It started as colonialism and conalization was a business. The colonies were a business. So ASCW people was like, you know what, they've been not being real nice to us in England, we might want to go somewhere else. That was a couple of folks on a couple of boats. The rest of these bastards, the entire Western hemisphere was.
Speaker 1: A business right.
Speaker 3: That the British and the Spanish took over because the fact that Americans do not acknowledge that most of the countries below US speak Spanish.
Speaker 2: Isn't the sane or even know what country. Most people don't even know what North America is.
Speaker 3: It was like, you know Mexico's and Central America.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: You never heard of NATO, That's what you just told me. So it's America is a business. Stop looking for freedom and start paying attention of the money. All of this has always been about money. America does not care about your freedom. All of the freedom shit is they smoke screen is a lie. That's why the reason that you were able to get the Civil Rights Act to pass is one Kennedy was assassinated two. Montgomery bus boycott took eighteen months. It wasn't a couple of days that they wasn't on the bus. Was eighteen months and black women organize cabs and cars to get everybody to work. And what it did was it almost bankrupted the city of Montgomery, Alabama. That's why desegregation happened because of boycotting of businesses. It wasn't because the white people was like, we should probably get these negroes from rights. No, it's realized how we impacted an entire city's economy, in multiple cities economies during the Civil rights movement, and they were like, Yo, these negroes messing up our business. Give them some rights or they're going to destroy us, right with just the money of it. No one felt No, It's like, so a white man looked at another white man and said, let's give these negroes rights. Right, had nothing to do. They weren't treated better. Right, you cannot just get the bland food you was fighting to eat. So I'm very confused about what we think is happening right now, and I don't know why we're not acting like that.
Speaker 4: This is what it is.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, the Republican Party wants to take all this money to back Trump. All they're going to do is bankrupt themselves because all they want to do. Trump is just revenge for Obama. That's all he is. Because that's why people foam at the mouth and anger and act with Trump in the way that they act.
Speaker 4: It is because he says.
Speaker 3: What needs to be said. We're going to drain the swamp and get those fat Cats. I'm like, why are so many cats in a swamp?
Speaker 1: You sound crazy? Cats?
Speaker 3: They listen, what is this? I remember swat Cats was an interesting cartoon. Some cats didn't exist. They don't do that.
Speaker 1: Samurai Eat the Cats another one, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: The nineties was a great time for pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly, that teenage mutant Ninja turtle pizza that was just like the the cheese on the top was like one solid liquid, like non Newtonian substance that just like kind of stretched, it just fell off the dough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's really how they made kids read books, is what happened. Yeah, A pizza, a personal pan pizza, right, just truly, just the open faced girl cheese.
Speaker 1: Sandwich with a little bit of tomato sauce with a little.
Speaker 3: Bit of tomato sauce is really how they got kids to read in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, came through. What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Voting in local elections and knowing who your congressman is. That is underrated, Yeah, because people don't know who they're people. It's like, I remember when Obama got elected, all these white people were like, well, Obama's going to pass all these laws for black people, and it's like, that's literally not what the president does. Or I had a coworker's like, well, what's Obama doing for black people? Just being the president?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: But he's not just he's a whole country's president. So it's just like it's I don't know what Schoolhouse Rock we all need to watch or how we all forgot, But it's just like, the reason that you could overturn ro V Wade is because of a president who got elected in all of this other It's just like, but it was a long going plan, right, So what I truly need the Democratic Party to do is crime, crime, do crime, because here's the thing. The Republican Party represents a small represents a very specific group of people that has a lot of money or doesn't have a lot of money, but they know who they are and what they want. The Democratic Party has to cover everybody else, right, right, And so the Republicans openly do crime. Weill still and look you in the face and go do something about it because you have the audacity of white men. There are enough white people running the Democratic Party to also have the audacity of white men. If you're a white man who is front facing in this party do crime. You are not helping it's time. You're not helping me by not doing crime.
Speaker 4: You're not just the time to do crime. They're trying to.
Speaker 3: Still, he literally planned treason and those people left right, if there would have been people of color, they'd all be dead in the track of the Capitol dead right. You've already seen how far I could actually go. Ye, And so it's like, well, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna vote because I don't want to, you know, Biden this and Biden that. I was like, this man, people committed treason for this man. Yeah, and you're gonna go, well, well, I think Biden's old. Then Kamala Harris becomes president if he meets Jesus. But you already have seen what will do, what his what his followers, not constituent, his followers will do. So what's underrated is not is Democrats, Democrats, anyone who's not a Republican not participating in the elections for their local and federal congress people. Because if you want to know why this is why your neighborhood's getting redlined, it's because you didn't go vote.
Speaker 1: Right, It's because city council people, or it's a.
Speaker 3: City council people. It's because why these books taken being taken out of school councils. Like, It's like the school board is a voted thing, a sheriff is a voted thing. There's so many things you vote for, and people are that they're blinded by the fact that, like they the president is the least important person you need to be worried about. You need to be learned about who is your congressman, who is running your school board, That's what you need to be worried about. I don't know what the Hella Alderman does, but I'm sure it's important. How about a controller? Is you got to It's like people like voting is not important. I said, if it wasn't important, it wouldn't work so hard for me can get people to not do it. No one tries to stop you from doing something. Ain't nobody on here trying to stop people from roller.
Speaker 2: Skating, right except for like old people who are like it's dangerous because it is dangerous.
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, well I think yeah with the voting thing too.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people put some like culturally, we put so much emphasis on the presidential race, when it's like, that's not the thing that changes everything.
Speaker 3: That's like, no, he literally he doesn't write laws, he doesn't pass laws.
Speaker 1: All he can do is veto and law, yeah.
Speaker 3: And give people pardons. That's the main Like his power, the scope of the power of the president doesn't affect people's lives on a regular basis. But your congressional representative on the state and federal level, that impacts you directly. And they're staying there sitting in an office going like, oh, well, I represent the people, but you don't represent me, right, and I don't like who you are, so you can't be in the seat anymore. But now people are convinced. But all the voting is rigged. Da da da da da da da. There is a there's the electoral college, but not every vote has an electoral college. They set that up for the president, and that's why people think it's so important. Right, But if you're voting for a congressman, that's a direct democracy. You vote for that person directly, that's pure popular vote.
Speaker 1: Right, what do you think?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 2: I'm curious because you know you just referenced John Stewart coming back to the Daily Show and like a bunch of liberals fucking lost it over like and I'm like, come the fuck on. Like when people they say like, don't fuck mention anything bad about Joe Biden, are you trying to make Trump whin?
Speaker 1: It's like, excuse you?
Speaker 2: Like Keith Olberman was like, this is both sides, and like, yeah, because both sides are old as shit.
Speaker 1: So I don't like what are we saying here?
Speaker 3: Well, Also the show has always talked about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no truly, but it's interesting to see like the the franticness because I get it the thread of another Trump administis that's not lost on me, Like how dangerous that is. And if you're trying to do things differently and you're saying like I want to choose the landscape in which I'm trying to do activism or whatever, it's like you're it's going to be more friendly if Biden is president than if Donald Trump is president. That's just that's just true. But I think like this idea that we can't expect or say out loud that we want better or there can be better, and treating that as like a hostile act of violence, I think it's just so it's so counterproductive and it like it, and it ends up putting off like a lot of younger voters too, who like you need for campaigns. So it's just a very I know, we're in a very odd situation in terms of like time.
Speaker 3: I remember when the Key Party came out and the whole Republican Party split and it was just like, Okay, these ones are crazy, right and these ones are less crazy. So it was just like the Republican Party has been through a lot, right, in the past twenty something, in the past twenty twenty five years. Yeah, so but everything has been come It was interesting because the Internet was supposed to give us more information and what all it does is just it's giving information to support people's side. But at the end of the day, it's you can't say that you're a Christian country and then not do things that help people. You can't say you're a Christian country and then want to deny people health care. Or it's like, well, you know, you can't say that you don't believe in socialism but then have public schools, police a post office.
Speaker 1: Right, and corporate welfare.
Speaker 3: In corporate welfare is just like you'll bail And so it's like literally the post office. But also remember wh Trump tried to get rid of the post office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was good poste when he put his guy in there, and.
Speaker 3: Well what was nuts. It's like he tried to shut down the post office and some little body literally said to him, hey, we have a lot of rule voters who are Republican and if we get rid of the post office, we won't have those votes. And he left the post office alone. Nobody was going for the post office. Yeah, and he was like, the're this and he was like and then he just stopped coming for the post office, right, yeah, because somebody was like, hey, quick, just just a quick thing.
Speaker 1: Listen to me, just saying right that.
Speaker 3: Those votes that you're trying not to camp also from us.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well shit, y'all should have told me.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, cool cool cool, Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, we I already forgot I said that anyway, So let's move on to the next thing.
Speaker 1: I mean truly, yeah, yeah, I mean one of the most hopeful things I've seen in politics in recent history was you had mentioned compatroller, but the twenty twenty two election for Controller of Los Angeles, Kenneth Mahea, a thirty two year old accountant, who just like started putting up billboards showing what the LAPD's budget actually looked like compared to anything else in this city, compared to everything else in the city. It was a bar graph. It was it was wild, and everyone was like, oh my god, this is the thing that everybody's freaking out and saying that is getting defunded. And he got elected, like against you know what, what people were expecting to happen. He got elected just by basically, you know, in a very smart way, explaining this is what I do as a controller. You probably don't know that, but here's what a controller does. Here's something wild that you probably haven't noticed, but me as a controller noticed.
Speaker 2: And he's like, yeah, you see that super long bar that goes almost the length of the billboard. That's the police budget, the thing that are a third and a half or things like social services, yeah, you know, programs for affordable housing.
Speaker 3: Man, the only thing, the only controller I know is a dress.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, it's really interesting. Also, Thisten, we just have to take a second to go like this year has been. I mean I literally saw a list like for those of you keeping score at home in twenty twenty four, let's get into it. I mean, this year has been absolutely outrageous, as in, first of all, for those of you keep me square at home, Kat Williams, Club chasehe interview, Megan versus Nikki, Yeah, jay Z telling the truth at the Grammys.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm hmmm. Drake video leak, helicopter helicopter footage.
Speaker 3: Helicopter footage, Monique's club chase interview. Yeah new, Jonathan Major's allegations.
Speaker 1: Oh new Jonathan Major's allegations. Yeah, oh shit, yeah okay.
Speaker 3: So, and then Beyonce coming out with a Beyonce dropping, Beyonce teasing a country album during Usher's concert, like it's Beyonce teasing album during Usher concert, and white people playing sports. Also, I don't know if you notice, and I know I'm probably getting a SOUF track, but I did notice that when so majority of football players on a football team are black men, right, but when you but then when the Super Bowl is won, there was no black men standing up there. And then when they finally got to a black man talked for maybe fifteen seconds. So and then Travis Kelsey, who if you needed any more proof that he only dated black women, I was like, why are letting him talk, because like, here's the thing that people don't realize, because like I don't know where he's from, but he sounds like he's from the Midwest of the South to me, because people don't realize at a certain point where you get ruel enough, white people and black people sound exactly.
Speaker 2: The same, right, And that's like, Ohio, So that's.
Speaker 3: What he sounds like to me, Like this is very like everybody talks the same because there's more as much as there was a twang. It was also like I also thought Rick Flair was gonna come out at any moment because he sounded like Dusty Roads. So he's just like, is arn Anderson here? What is going on? Is Kelsey Gonna? Who's hitting him with the chair? Where is Kevin Nash? Like this is what he sounded like to me. So I was like, I've never thought that anyone think any relationship was a plant or a ploy or a plot, but his little relationship with Taylor Swift, I don't believe it. And so we was in Kansas City the other week doing shows like the beginning of the month, and they were like, oh, Travis and Taylor I bought a house, And I was just like First of all, why.
Speaker 4: Do you know that?
Speaker 3: Second time? I know that, but it's it's very interesting. Also, I do ignowledge. I like, he acknowledged the fact that he does wear a fade and it's not a haircut he created.
Speaker 1: Right, And yeah, he had to clarify that because.
Speaker 3: He was like, I think it's somebody told me. He said, literally, don't do that. See me during Black History he said, don't.
Speaker 1: Throw me to the wolves.
Speaker 2: He said, don't throw me to the wolves and do that to me the being a Black History month, like I came up with the fade.
Speaker 1: No truly boom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, sir, Yeah, we'll give you that. We'll give you that. But I'm seen in the egg so that I'm stealing Tailor Swift. I'm just like, Also, I saw that body he got. That's a whole man body. That's a whole man body, right, he gonna he must sleep with Tailor Swift and in pieces like, I don't know, that's a whole man that's a whole Midwestern.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Midwest.
Speaker 3: Has a California body. She ain't. That ain't Midwest boy, she don't what is she?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I looked up. I was like how is this even?
Speaker 1: Yeah, diagrams available.
Speaker 3: I mean listen, because he can't get you can't get misse. Then she dies like she's gone. She's gone. If she disappears like I can't.
Speaker 1: He has great body control, you know, like as a NFL player, like get cut down, drag it along the you know. I feel that I feel like he'd be able to pull things off.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen. I'm gonna tell you right now, she ain't got enough body to push back against that body if he if this owners ain't up, she's gone. She's gone. She's in the mattress. She's a car zone. She is a cutout in his bed. She's a kool aid man. She don't have the body to push back against his body. If he lays completely on her, her breath is gone.
Speaker 1: Right, they gotta get a reverse kool aid Man where it's just a hole in the wall and him sitting there saying, oh no, yeah, she went yeah.
Speaker 3: She is mush like a looney tone.
Speaker 1: There is no way.
Speaker 3: There is actulutely no way. He's never been on top. She died, and I have no ill will towards the young lady. But when I saw him with the muscles in a little bit, little pooch little, that's all. That's a whole man, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: You don't know, and that's a lie.
Speaker 2: It's a whole.
Speaker 3: No, they say that to be cute. That ain't two fifty promise you? That promise you that I'm a hole man when I see one?
Speaker 2: No, what do you think that's two sixty to seventy?
Speaker 4: Listen?
Speaker 3: I won't speculate, but I'm not mad at the packete. You see what I'm saying. Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't want him to talk to me. But right, but when he opened his nof all I heard was lemon pepper wings.
Speaker 1: But you're talking about a man with one of the most popular podcasts in America. So he's he's our hero. We miles and I just listened to him talk and try and you know figure out I.
Speaker 4: Will not it's a secret.
Speaker 2: You know what's his secret.
Speaker 3: It's not annunciation. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: When he's saying Viva las Vegas, I was like, are we okay?
Speaker 3: Because man's an uncle? What are they talking about? They see a forty year old man when a twenty five year old what are you talking about.
Speaker 1: Right right, although they were both born in eighty nine, so but his energy, I feel you right, that's the name of that album, nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a birth year. Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and finish off with a news story. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and we might as well stay in the great state of Ohio from whence Travis Kelsey came and you know, they're series about their football there. They have the Football Hall of Fame. There's a mega church in Ohio that was like, on first pass, you're like, oh, they're just doing like a little marketing thing like the Bud Bowl or the Puppy Bowl or you know, like counter that's just trying to draft off of the popularity of the Super Bowl. So this megachurch in Ohio did the Super Bowl Sunday of preaching. Yeah, we love that.
Speaker 2: I oh man, there's at least on the on the flyer, like there's at least five people. This is the flyer right here, just to give you an idea of how the whole thing was being Crossroads Churches.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is the White megachurch.
Speaker 2: Yeah there, and they are screaming in these promotional materials, and yeah, a lot of people are like what the fuck. Okay, the vibe kind of has like a fucked up WWE event.
Speaker 1: But here this is the image. So for the listeners, the image has three people like just screaming, mouths wide open, screaming at the camera. One person looking at the camera like I'm gonna fuck you up, like I'm going to straight up fuck you up. Like the guy who looks the most like a pastor is like, you know, sixty five year old old guy who's better looking at.
Speaker 3: And then some guy dresses like a referee. I guess it's just like I understand. But also it's just like football is supposed to be like America's game, and I'm like, I think we all like that's why all I understand why church would have like counter programming to the super Bowl, because I thought we were all like God loves super Bowl.
Speaker 2: This is where they this is the genius part, because they found a way to create like an event over like a Bible quote.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: This is just some This is them talking about one of the events they're doing in this super Bowl of preaching. And each quarter preachers will be given a random phrase that they must effectively work into their message.
Speaker 1: And my understanding is these are completely random.
Speaker 3: They have never seen them before.
Speaker 1: Seriously, it's improbably.
Speaker 3: Folks, time to meet our players. Let's head down to the field today.
Speaker 2: Starting line.
Speaker 1: They have people like sitting at a desk like they're yeah, this is a church.
Speaker 2: This looks like ww Undertaker just came out. It's wrestling, all right, So this one dude came out. Then we got another couple coming out the Red team. I guess the people in chief tricks first of all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it says Ohio measure chart past tricks. Yeah, Ali Patterson, is that a typo? You think it has a typo?
Speaker 2: I think that may be like a pun on, like being like a female pastor or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's a pun or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that there is that? Just the term like actress past risks pastrick.
Speaker 3: That's not that's that's not necessary. You can know you could be a pastor pastor because like I've never heard this term in my life unless that woman is making it necessary for people to know, Like the term comedian. I don't like that term right right, Like I said first speak for it, right, so they're kicking.
Speaker 1: Well, hold on, we haven't even gotten to this for but for listeners at home. So it does say like Pastrix is about to do something wild in the in the Twitter description. And then these people are running onto stage with like the steam like when a when an NFL team enters, and there's like fog shooting, like jetting up into the ye like it's letting off like steam that would just like boil the flesh off a bone like that. That's kind of the vibe it's getting, you know what.
Speaker 2: It's a term used by some Christians who refuse to recognize female pastors.
Speaker 3: But it's also a term that looks like it's from medieval Latin. Yeah, apparently it's been around for a long time, a synonym of pastor.
Speaker 1: Rests, oh, pastor res, thank you listen.
Speaker 3: We've never done this, Like it's like the actor and actress, but then there's not like director, directress writer righteous like trust.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I'm saying. I want to know coming in if I'm seeing a doctor or a doctress. You know, I don't want I don't want to be surprised.
Speaker 3: So they've they've kicked the Bible.
Speaker 1: Well, see this is where we go.
Speaker 2: They get to the now they do a coin toss for what they say is the kickoff. And this is what's really got people's attention, because like, wait, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: Is going on?
Speaker 2: When lands call it in the air, heads or tails.
Speaker 1: It, Let's just go with tails.
Speaker 2: Would you like to kick or receive the Bible?
Speaker 4: I will receive you.
Speaker 2: You will receive to receive the Bible. Okay, So one guy is holding a Bible kick holding it like it's a fucking field goal.
Speaker 1: W about to kick it into the crowd.
Speaker 2: That a touchback, fucking belted the Bible into the crowd. I was like, hold on, now, I haven't been to church in a minute, but from what I do remember, I'm pretty sure you can't be curb stomping the word of God as part of like last I.
Speaker 3: Checked, I don't think you're supposed to be kicking a Bible. Yeah, Church, Honestly, this makes less sense. Did I remember the old school white Pentecostal snake handling this that makes more sense because there were holding snakes being like even this animal that took down Eve and brought Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden that you know is the symbol of evil. The Lord will protect me, even if this bites me, even this venomous snake, The Lord will protect me. You're testing God, but it makes more sense than what we just want. Charming makes more sense than you kicking the word of God into an audience. Also, before she kicked it during the cooint offs, she punched him at his chest, like, you know what, honestly, if this is the life of a pastrix, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, why not punch it, dude of a past tricks. I Also he called the coin toss tales, which is what I'm gonna be kicking, which was just really sweaty and like he had written it this. It feels like the whole thing feels like a miss guided like high school like comedy sketch, Like what did you ever like have a class where the teacher is like, or you could make a video and then like the least funny kids in your class like made a comedy video, right, Yeah, yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Thought it was gifted classes and they didn't make.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think it's like it's just interesting because with all the hate filled rhetoric that comes out of like churches, nowadays, it makes sense that there's be like, yeah, watch this, I'm gonna kick the ship out about what I want to listen.
Speaker 3: If we're getting to this, it's I mean, you're truly it's like you're dealing with the population that needs more. They can't just sit in church and just listen to the word of God. Like there has to be like a thing, right, m I just don't know if there was a different way to handle all of that. For instance, you didn't have to kick a Bible. You could have kicked a football.
Speaker 1: With like John something written a you know what what a Bible verse like yeah written on the side of it.
Speaker 4: You could have.
Speaker 1: Gotten it football.
Speaker 3: Because this is the thing. There was no point in the kicking of whatever got kicked. So it's like, okay, there's a coin toss and then now here's a Bible run with it or whatever. But it's just like, okay, who's The whole point was to go who's going first?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: What did you are you kicking or receiving the Bible first? I didn't even catch it. So it's just like, does he truly care about God's word because he didn't even catch the Bible? But like you're doing.
Speaker 1: I'm scared he.
Speaker 3: Was because the Bible got kicked at him and it scared. Books don't fly at people balls, dude, I love just forget goofy and they all vote. It's like Republicans don't love God like.
Speaker 4: They don't themselves.
Speaker 1: It's intellectual cover.
Speaker 3: This is the work of white Jesus because the hair like wolf feet like Bron's Middle East, and Jewish Jesus that I pray to daily would have allowed this. Also, I think he played soccer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, he would gonna say he'd throw a flag on this one. But you're right, it would have been a cart Yeah, that's record damnation.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a violation truly all sides.
Speaker 1: So well, do'll say, Sloan, what a pleasure having you back on the Daily Zeitgeist. Thank you so much for joining us. Where can people find you? Follow you, catch you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, when I'm not being kicked through a church, you can find me atsloan dot com and also at say Sloan on al Gore's Internet. I've got a lank tree. I've got events coming up, so you have find me. I'm gonna be in Chicago. I'm gonna be in San Diego. I got book signings coming up in Chicago, so come through and buy my book. Gott keep them out of Amazon.
Speaker 1: Book signing plus stand up show.
Speaker 3: So book signing plus standa shows in Chicago March first of the third. There's a book signing on the third. I'm gonna be in San Diego the twenty second, the twenty third, and the twenty fourth at Mike Drop Comedy Club Brandy Club in San Diego. So come see the kid because listen, somebody's gonna pay my market.
Speaker 1: There. You go help out.
Speaker 3: Get in on the movement, get it on the movement.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: The Gilded Age? Because George Russell is the best husband that's ever been written in television history.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen all season too yet. Is he he's getting bout about it now?
Speaker 3: This is let me tell you something. The fact that he bankrupted a man just because he was treating his wife bad. Yeah, look, God, God, God, my husband. They willing to take down somebody's whole life. I don't want him. Your husband won't be a robber baron for you.
Speaker 1: I don't want him.
Speaker 2: If you won't put down a railroad strike violently, you know, just to kind of make have some more.
Speaker 4: Time for the family now, but also not violently.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, so yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Your husband out here value in lives but still will destroy you economically because you came for him. He only came for you because you came for him and his wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, proletariat more like Brokelitariatoo.
Speaker 1: Miles, where can people find you as their working media?
Speaker 2: You? Yeah, at Miles of Gray where they have all the app based stuff, all those app based platforms. Find Jack and I are Basketball podcast Miles and Jack Got Mad Boots and also find you on my ninety Day Fiance podcast for twenty Day Fiance where we recap the show. But really high tweet I like is from at the Dark Prowler. It's is this is how it feels to smoke weed and go to the store. And it's a picture of the actor playing jar Jar Binks during the filming of The Phantom.
Speaker 1: Sometimes like that. Maybe you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien a workimedia I've been enjoying. Fiona Small tweeted a picture of Mark Wahlberg on the Today Show Mark Wahlberg's forty day challenge. He's got the ash Wednesday going on his forehead and says best of luck to the starting the Mark Wahlberg forty Day Challenge tomorrow, and then the Ben keeps The Florists retweeted that and said, if Mark Wahlberg had been at Golgatha, I'll tell you one thing, that Crius fiction wouldn't have gone down. I'm just saying, Bro, just saying Bro.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm just.
Speaker 1: Saying it wouldn't. It wouldn't have gone down that way.
Speaker 2: Maybe Barabus bro I would have let that happen, but not Jesus.
Speaker 1: You think he probably would have said he would have fucked conscious pie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist or at the Daily Zeichgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website, Daily Zeitgeist dot com, where we post our episode and our footnotes where we link off to the information we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think people might think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just a nice, nice track from a DC artist by the name of Jalen and Ganda Uh And this guy has like the one of the most authentic motown sounding voices and vibes I've heard recently, and it's really dope. It kind of sounds like Smokey, like young Smokey Robinson. This track is called if You Don't Want My Love, and it's just like, you know it kind of you know how like motowns that early motown is kind of like, yeah, that's what this track does. So if you don't want my love, you know, shout out to Singles Day.
Speaker 1: If you don't want my Love, then you know we're awaring it go be recognized. Yeah, so Jalen by the awareness of people on sigles.
Speaker 4: Aware ste exactly.
Speaker 1: The Daily Zeitgeist is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then Bye bye.