Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb and today you're going to hear our episode from nine to six, twenty twenty four about Beyond the Mind's I from nineteen ninety two. If you were a person of a certain age, you will definitely remember the TV advertisements for what just seemed like the future of cinema and the future of just human experience. So we hope you enjoy revisiting this episode.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. And today on Weird House Cinema, we're doing something a little bit different. Most of the time we focus on narrative feed films, at least within the weird genres, but today we are not looking at a narrative feature film. We're going to be talking about an anthology format art film from nineteen ninety two called Beyond the Mind's Eye, which was the second part in a series of similar films beginning in the year nineteen ninety with The Mind's Eye, a computer animation odyssey. Now, as the name implies, the Mind's Eye films were showcases for computer animation, showcases for sort of the cutting edge of computer based animation techniques of the day, and the typical format of all these films in the Mind's Eye series would be a sequence of musical numbers usually I think, just by a single artist throughout, accompanied by strange computer generated imagery scenes and imagery. Now, Rob, I don't know if you were a to get more clarity on the source of all of these animated segments. One thing that's clear is that a lot of the segments were created for other projects originally things like TV commercials, sci fi movies, video games, demo reels, just industry stuff and so forth, and then a lot of that was edited together and set to music for these projects. But I don't know if that's the case with all of the animation or just some of it. It's possible some segments were created specifically for the mind Sie movies, but I couldn't get a clear answer on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one of those situations where the movie database listings for this title beyond the mind Side that we're going to be talking about here today, scene kind of limited. Now, I will add that the actual credits for the feature itself. I mean, those credits do provide a lot of names and a lot more of additional info, but I feel like to really cite everything and to source and to point to the source of everything that we see in the picture, you're dealing with like a true sort of multimedia archaeology, sort of an exercise that we're we were not really all about here with Weird House Cinema. So we're going to call out some of the people that were involved, but we can't possibly list everyone, because again, this is an anthology of these different films, films that, especially for the time period, often involved like multiple folks bringing it together from a technological and artistic standpoint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. So I wonder I bet a lot of you out there listening remember The Mind's Eye if you were around and watching TV, reading reading Wired magazine in the early nineties or something. The Mind's Eye films were apparently extremely popular on home video. I never rented one when I was a kid, but I've had friends mentioned them before, like, oh, remember the Mind's Eye, Like you know, I'm maybe somebody said they rented it from Blockbuster or something. But anyway, they were very popular on home video, initially on VHS and on laser disc and then later on DVD, and I can only imagine the number of hangouts cool hangouts in the early nineties that began, like, dude, you've got to come over and watch this tape I rented. It's so trippy. And so that's the series. But again, the specific film that we're going to be talking about today is the second movie in the Mind's I series called Beyond the Mind's Eye from nineteen ninety two, directed by Michael Boydston and featuring music by Yon Hamer, who I know on the podcast before I've probably called Jan Hammer, but it's Yon Hamer. I found out by listening to an interview. So when I got the idea to do one of these one of the Mind's Eye movies for the show, I was browsing through a list of them and I saw one was by one Head, music by Yon Hamer, and I knew we had to pick the hammer fest. It had to be that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Listeners to Weird House Cinema will remember that Yonhammer scored the film I Come In Peace aka Dark Angel, that we previously talked about on the show, and most famously, of course, did the soundtrack for Miami Vice, including that absurdly great track Crockets theme. But anyway, we'll come back to Yon'hammer in a bit, and we'll talk about him a lot, because basically this is a film where his music his front and center. Really, I mean, it's the visuals and then the music of Yon Hamer, and that's what beyond the mind's eye consists of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, whatever is going through your head right now out there listening in the year twenty twenty four, whatever you are thinking about the idea of a combination art house showcase and industrial demo reel entirely made out of CGI from the early nineties, you do need to probably shift your thinking a little bit, like, especially if you weren't around at the time and don't like you can't tap into that mindset again, because people in the nineties were absolutely losing their minds about how astounding, futuristic and even beautiful all this stuff was, which is kind of hard to reconcile with the way it looks now, not that it looks not that I'm insulting the way it looks now, but it's just it was a different time and it's hard to get fully back into that brain space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's very much a snapshot of the time. I mean, this is a nineteen ninety two release. This is the cutting edge computer generated imagery from the early nineties, the very early nineties. And you know, I honestly can't remember if I ever rented this from a video store. It's very possible that I did, but I mostly just remember seeing the commercials for it, because there were a lot of TV commercials for it. As I remember, I'm guessing I was watching, you know, it's probably MTV, maybe the Sci Fi Channel as well. So honestly, I can't remember offhand when that started out. I think it may have started in ninety two, so maybe not Sci Fi Channel, But I feel like MTV at least was prime, prime target area for these commercials. And it really did feel exciting. It felt like a revelation. This is the future, this is what computer generated imagery can do for us, this is what video games can do for us, because our video games were not like this, not yet, but it was the promise that they could be. And in general, it's like, this is the future, and you had every reason to be excited and Honestly, I was looking back on I was thinking about the fact that, well, of course I was a child at the time. I was a kid, so of course I was excited. You know. Did adults feel the same way, Well, obviously they did, because on one hand, these videos were highly successful. They were, you know, on the best sellers lists and all. And I looked around and I found that Roger Ebert was a big fan. On the Ciskel and Eba show. There's a particular episode I was able to You can look it up on the archives and find the full episode. It's the one where they they review Lorenzo's Oil and Chaplain and some other you know, kind of stuffy and certainly non non futuristic movie. But at the end of it, we have Roger Ebert's video pick of the week and it is Beyond the Mind's Eye, and he loves it. He's he says, quote, one day computers will be able to create entire movies and the visual possibilities are breathtaking. Look at where this shot takes us, and they cut to one of the you know, the otherworldly vistas that Beyond the Mind's Eye gives us, and he closes up as saying it's quite a trip.
Speaker 3: One day computers will animate entire movies.
Speaker 1: And they would like, Yeah. In nineteen ninety five, that's when we got Toy Story from Pixar, the first fully CGI full length motion pictures, So yeah, it was just about to happen, basically, like they were already in production on Toys. I think that the descript for Toy Story was kind of like finalized in ninety three, so like, really it was about to happen. So I feel like Ebert was correct on all parts. On all accounts here, this is essentially what we're going to see, and we have seen the perfection to some extent, I think of CGI animated films and the Pixar Disney DreamWorks mold. Though of course it's worth pointing out that things like photorealistic CGI has a lot more to contend with. You know, there's a lot more uncanny valley to traverse in that realm, and so I don't know if we've seen anything that truly succeeds in that category.
Speaker 3: Now. If you go back and read what people were saying about these movies at the time, one very common theme is that the Mindseye films are regarded as trippy or psychedelic. Now, that might not seem all that strange for you know, a computer anime, music video film, but that's not necessarily said about all animated films or even all art films. So, like, what is it about this CGI package film idea that specifically lends itself to descriptions having to do with visionary experiences or psychedelic drugs. I was thinking about this, and this is a theme I'll come back to multiple times in the episode. I've been thinking a lot about linking techniques in the like just practical techniques of computer animation, to the effect that the film has on us. And I was wondering if the trippiness has something to do with the with the particular capabilities of computer animation at the time that by algorithmically changing dimension values across time, for like a shape or an image on the screen, you can create these shifting morphing forms which are all throughout the animated segments in Beyond the Mind's Eye. I would say every single one of them has an image, like a shape or an object that morphs into something else, and these changes from one thing to another very much mirror the form shifting visual effects that people commonly experience on some psychedelic compounds, So I wonder if that's one part of it, that particular capability of computer animation and its similarity to psychedelic visual effects. Of course, having one shape morph into another is something you can do in traditional hand drawn animation as well, but you see it a lot in early CGI, and I wonder if it's because it was like easier to automate by some kind of stepwise manipulation or algorithm of just the number variables that you use to create the dimensions of an image. Another characteristic that I wonder if people were picking up on in describing this movie as psychedelic or trippy, is just that the imagery looks super, super weird in a way that nobody would have been familiar with before CGI. And again this would have to do with the practical state of the industry, Like it was impossible to code a realistic looking human face with computer animation at this time, so realism is off the table. But you also could not easily reproduce familiar hand drawn art styles that had been around for years in traditional animation, so you would by necessity be establishing a whole new visual language for representing forms from the real world, especially like animals and plants and humans, and so by necessity they look the way they're rendered is very unfamiliar to us. It doesn't look either like reality or like any art we're familiar with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one thing that becomes obvious as you watch Beyond the Mind's Eye is that a convincing reproduction of the human body was not really achievable at this point, but we still tried, because that's that's human art. We always try to capture our own form in the forms of animals in our vicinity. And yeah, they don't quite hit the mark, but in not hitting the mark completely, there is this it's close enough, you know, it doesn't you know, we're we're vain pattern seeking creatures. So if you get close enough to a human form, we'll identify with it and we'll work with it. Right, So it's still, you know, engrossing, even if some of the characters are still a bit on the grotesque side of.
Speaker 3: Things, which is the segment that has a human figure but it just has leopard print flesh.
Speaker 1: We'll have to may maybe that'll come to me as we get into the blow by blow plot of this movie. But but yeah, you have things like like that that occur, and yeah you can still you can still connect with them, you know. I was reminded in all of this, like trying to think about like how it felt to see these things, How it felt to see these kind of representations, even if they, you know, were very by today's stare is like crude representations of like a human body or an animal and whatnot. I'm reminded a little bit of some of the the AI generated images that we've seen more of them. I'm thinking more of the things that were really hitting maybe a year or two ago, you know, during the era where it's like that you could definitely look at the fingers and count the fingers to see if something was computer generated or not AI generated or not. And I think one of the things about those images is that, like the images we're seeing and beyond the mind's eyes when they first hit, they are not achieving like photorealism, they're not completely convincing. You see them and you know something is off, but also in it being off, it's something that you haven't quite seen before. You're like, because I remember the first time I saw some of those AI generated images, I was like, who is this artist, like it's clearly the same person because they all kind of look the same. It's a little different than anything I've seen before, and that makes it enthralling. Then you get then you get bored with it, and you move on. But the technology moves on as well. The technology advances and it's no longer capable or it's no longer creating things like it was before, but the mood is still there, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, in terms of your point about like psychedelia and the imagery that we see and beyond the mind's eye, it is interesting to think about how there's probably a number of nexus points between like various counterculture movements and folks as well as some of the individuals who are like pushing these developments. You know, I'm thinking of, you know, sort of Silicon Valley types, that convergence of programming and art, like those worlds are probably you know, inevitably bumping up against each other. Here.
Speaker 3: You can just feel the techno hippie culture dripping off of this. It's very it's a very West Coast product.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And at the same time, like think about it, it's ninety two. A new millennium is coming and it's coming fast, and so there are a lot of ideas about like what is going to happen, how are we transforming for this new millennium, How is technology going to change us? How can we elevate ourselves through it? So there's a you know, there's always a certain amount of anxiety, obviously, but there is also a certain amount of technological optimism that's very strong, especially in Beyond the Mind's Eye.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's quite literally promising to take you to new realms. There is even today looking back on it now, a genuinely infectious sense of exploration and enthusiasm for the new and the weird in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And you know, you can also see other examples of this, you know, sort of like trance music culture taking up various sort of futurism ideas, you know, thinking about the blending of say, you know, music and the writings of Terrence mckinna and so forth. So yeah, I feel like Beyond the Mind's Eye seems to set right alongside that. And also the title is just so perfect. I'm always a little bit shocked to realize that it's called Beyond the Mind's Eye because it's the second in a series, and the first was just the mind's eye, because beyond the mind's eye is perfect because there is this sense that like it is promising to show you things that you cannot imagine yet, like it takes this technological evolution in order for us to even conceive of these ideas, you know, like, that's that's how this hit, that's how this felt back in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Well, as Professor Brian Oblivion taught us, the television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, it is part of the physical structure of the brain. And so by showing you this movie, they are offering you a brain upgrade. That's what it feels like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so hopefully, you know, we'll be able to hold on to that as we continue discussing this film, because on one lefe, we do have to look at it as a thing that doesn't hit the same anymore, that is going to feel more uncanny than it did, that is going to feel rougher around the edges than it did back in the day. But at the same time, I just want to be clear that nobody can discount how impressive this felt back in the early nineties, and it is a snapshot of cutting edge technological artistic achievement of that time period.
Speaker 3: Well, despite the tremendous advancements in what's possible with computer animation since then, I would kind of have a hard time imagining someone could watch this and not sort of love it. Now, Yeah, yeah, I mean, what is there to not like about Beyond the Mind's Eye?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's going to I think on one hand, the music, of course, still stands up. Jon Hammer's music is tremendous, and so that's going to pull you in and if nothing else, it's going to relax you. The images are going to relax you. There's nothing here that can hurt you. This movie is like a nice, warm hug. It spoons you for its runtime of what an hour and some change, and yeah, you can you can giggle a little bit at how some of the effects hold up today, but it's it's still it's still impressive, all right. Now. Sadly, I could not find a rip of the TV spot for Beyond the Mind's Eye, either to include or just to re experience it, because I know I must have seen this commercial hundreds of times back in the day, But as far as I could tell, nobody has ripped it and uploaded it, so that's a shame.
Speaker 3: I went looking for that as well and could not find it.
Speaker 1: Now fortunately you can find the film itself. There are a lot of streaming options for it out on the web, and you can still buy it on DVD. That's assuming you don't want to go retro and get yourself a VHS or a laser disc.
Speaker 3: I know we've talked about this before, but when are laser discs going to come back in the same way vinyl has? It just feels right, doesn't it, that we'd go back to laser.
Speaker 1: It seems like there would be there probably are a laser disc enthusiasts out there. I know for a while they held on because there were still certain films and there. This may still be the case where there had not been a release superior to the laser disc release, so I'm not sure. All right, Well, let's briefly talk about some of the folks involved here. This is going to be a little different than usual because we have no human cast, but we do have there are were ultimately a lot of humans involved in this. We're not going to highlight all of them, but credited as the director and as an editor on this film is Michael Boydstone. The same year, he had also worked with musician Pete Bardens I believe of Camel Fame on a project called Watercolors. I wasn't able to find streaming content of this, but it apparently combined footage of running water from Yellowstone with Pete Barden's music. Boydston would go on to work with Thomas Dolby on nineteen ninety four's The Gate to the Mind's Eye, which he also directed, and he also worked on a project called Televoid in ninety seven, which I'm not saying I think it's an unrelated project that does similar things like using different different computer animated shorts and sort of stitching them together into a cohesive full picture.
Speaker 3: Did Boydston work on the Mindseie movie that had Kansas music by Kansas?
Speaker 1: I don't think he did. I'd have to know. There are different people involved in these. Different people did the music, Like Thomas Dolby again was on The Gate to the Mind's Eye, but he Boydsten went on to work on a number of educational programs, including at least one episode of Bill Ny The Science Guy, as well as a series called diz Kids, and he served as a cinematographer on various TV and film projects, including the twenty sixteen film Beta Test starring Manu Bennett. And I wasn't able to find much else about his role in this production and how it went down. So I was looking around and I found his contact information. I reached out to him and I was like, Hey, can we ask you a few questions about Beyond the Mind's Eye? And he said he said, sure, it feels like several lifetimes ago, but I'd be up for that. So we sent him some questions. As of this recording time, we have not heard back from him, but if we hear back from him before publication, we'll tack it on at the end of this episode, and if he gets back to us after the episode has published, well, then we'll include it in a future listener mail segment. I can't wait to know more, all right, we already mentioned John Hamer born nineteen forty eight Czech American musician, composer and record producer again best known for his tracks Miami Vice Theme and Crockett's Theme, both from the nineteen eighty series Miami Vice. Again. Crockett's theme especially is just incredible. That's when you just need a You've probably heard it before, but if you have, go listen to it. Tremendous track. He won two Grammy Awards for the Miami Vice theme song. His other scores include two episodes of Tales from the Crypt, Night Rider two thousand, nineteen ninety six is Beastmaster three, The Eye of Braccus, and of course that nineteen ninety Dolph Lugran film I Come In Pecak Dark Angel, which we previously discussed on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Before recording this episode, we were both watching a news segment where Jan Hamer was being interviewed, primarily about his work on Beyond the Mind's Eye, and before the interview began, there was just the sickest ever clip of him absolutely shredding a strap on keyboard what you might be tempted to call a key tar, but I don't know if he called it a key tar.
Speaker 1: I've seen it referred to as a signature model link keyboard, and maybe our synth junkies can chime in more on that, but I've read that one of the things about him is the e He's very much a keyboard synth guy, and he developed in augmented a way so that he could jam out on a keyboard like it was a guitar, like with the energy of rocking out to a guitar, and as someone who cannot rock out on a keyboard or a guitar, I can't really speak to the differences there. Joe, you have guitar experience, maybe you can tell us what that might entail.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I mean, performing with a guitar can be a kind of fun, sort of semi athletic thing because you're standing up, you can run around with it, and you can sort of dance while you're playing it. I guess you can sort of dance while playing a keyboard. I have less experience there because I can barely play the keyboard, so I don't I don't know. Yeah, you can't run around with a keyboard unless you turn it into a strap on keyboard like dress like this thing that I'm tempted to call a guitar.
Speaker 1: I guess, like thinking of clips, I've seen of spirited guitar players and spirited keyboard players, because there are some very spirited keyboard players, you know what I mean. There's a different type of rocking that it can occur I guess you can if you're like really rocking out on the scnth of the keyboard, like you're still localized to that machine. You can't like run the stage or anything, so.
Speaker 3: Right, you can kind of headbang, I guess while you're playing, But yeah, your feet need to stay roughly where they are now.
Speaker 1: Johonhamer's music is widely available on music streaming platforms, and that includes Beyond the Mind's Eye as an album. You can listen to it on you know, Apple Music, Spotify, wherever you get your digital music. He has a lot of other tracks. I was going through some of his other albums and taking him in. There's a nineteen seventy five album of his title The First Seven Days, and there's a track on there titled Light Slash Sun, and I thought it was very good, all right. The producer of Beyond the Mind's Eye was Stephen Churchill born nineteen fifty seven. He produced I believe all of the Mind's Eye videos, beginning with nineteen nineties The Mind's Eye, followed by this film, and then ninety four is the Gate to the Mind's Eye, ninety six is End of the Mind's Eye, ninety seven's Computer Animation Showcase, nineteen ninety eight's Ancient Alien and nineteen ninety eight's Computer Animation Celebration. I don't know why the t the title breakdown seems too much. At this point, we're no longer talking about the Mind's Eye. He previously worked as an animator on Disney's The Black Cauldron in nineteen eighty five. He was a character designer on The Great Mouse Detective in eighty six, a background artist on Oliver and Company in eighty eight, and an in between artist on The Little Mermaid in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: I remember The Great Mate, he was a character designer. The Great Mouse Detective had some extremely scary characters when I was little, at least I remember I rented that one, and there's this bat with sharp teeth on it that freaked me out. Also, it has a rat villain voiced by Vincent Price, I think, who gets very scary at the end.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, that is definitely a Vincent Price role, and he is quite good. I'm trying to remember who voiced the bat. Nobody ever heard of Candy Kendi, not a I believe he was a radio performer and voice actor, but I don't have a lot of familiarity with his work.
Speaker 3: Well, the two villainous rodents in this movie were they both freaked me out when I was young, so maybe he designed them.
Speaker 1: And then bone was Sherlock Holmes in that?
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, but Sherlock Holmes is just like the human who happens to live in the room above the Basle, the Great mouse Detective.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. It's been a long time since I've seen it.
Speaker 3: Like, it's not primarily an adventure about Sherlock Holmes. It is about his mouse equivalent to Basle though whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Black Cauldron is when I've been tempted to revisit, but I have not yet gotten around to it. It's got some great dark fantasy elements to it, but it's not one that I think was well regarded at the time of its release, and I don't know if people have warmed up to it or not now. Obviously, this project encompasses the computer effects work of various individuals, and again we're not going to be able to have time to really do us just to everyone, but we'll reference some of them as they come up. I know that in the movie databases, the flora section is credited to yo Chiro Kawaguchi, and Journey to the Fourth Dimension is credited to Rick Harper and David Thornton. But of course that is just that. That's just some of the people involved in this, and there are many others.
Speaker 3: Now, as we said earlier, the movie is sort of you could kind of think of it as like just a series of music videos. That's a little misleading because there they do kind of have a narrative flow in a way, but they are a it's a series of discrete musical numbers on the soundtrack that are each paired with an animation sequence that may be sort of one continuous theme throughout or might just be just a Shmorgas board of imagery.
Speaker 1: That's right. And you know, the interesting thing is, like any anthology, we kind of have a host. Yeah, we have we have something or someone that is going to introduce us to the concept of beyond the mind's eye.
Speaker 3: We get a floating virtual bald head with these you know, polygons on its surface. It almost looks I don't know if you caught the same thing. Maybe I'm out of my mind here, but it looks almost kind of like a floating Jeff bezos Head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a little bit of bezos to it. Yeah, yeah, I think that's a strong comparison.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the bezos head tells us you are now entering a world inside the essence of your imagination, look within your dreams. They can take you beyond the mind's eye. And then we begin to zoom. We begin to zoom through just a tunnel of textures and colors and things start to pop out at us. And it is a fairly overwhelming experience. At first. You're just like plunging down this tunnel into darkness with colors emerging from out of everywhere, and you don't even know what you're lo looking at, and you can't quite make sense of it. And by the time you sort of focus on one shape and image, it's turning into something else. And I can see why they put this animated segment first, because even in retrospect, it kind of takes your breath away. And I'm sure in nineteen ninety two you'd just be like, Wow, I can't even begin to describe what I'm looking at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because especially if you're watching this on VHS, you can't just skip to the next chapter. You'd have to fast forward through stuff, and so it really needs to hit hard immediately, and it does just lots of shifting psychedelic CGI landscapes, fractals and particles, virtual reality bodies, including a pair of lovers who merge in their love making into a single extra dimensional dragonfly. And then there's a butterfly, a bird, a terasaur, a haunted castle, an electric vortex, and then finally like a reading rainbow butterfly.
Speaker 3: I love when it turns into the Haunted Castle because that has nothing to do with anything that came before. But suddenly we're in spirit Halloween and this is just an animated castle. It's a whoo and bats flying through the sky. But then when we get close to the bats, we realize they're not bats. They're terosaurs with devil tongues. And one of the terosaurs crashes into the quote camera and breaks the glass of the lens, sort of just spiderwebs of fracture across the screen, and then the does the terra stor kind of like slide down like a it does like a bug smeared on a windshield.
Speaker 1: So, on one hand, this whole intro bit feels very demo, you know, it feels it feels like they're saying someone is saying, look what CGI can do for you. But on the other hand, we are definitely seeing parts of a sequence from the nineteen ninety two film The lawnmower Man. This, of course, was a science fiction horror movie directed by Brett Leonard and originally sort of kind of based on a Stephen King's story, but I believe he was able to get his name taken off of that. The original lawnmower Man short story is very creepy, but has nothing to do with virtual reality or computers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've looked at this up before. I think the movie has nothing to do with this story except that there is a guy who operates a lawnmower. That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so there's a scene I had to go. I was able to find this online included a link for here, Jove you wanted to check it out. But there's a sequence in The lawnmower Man where the character job Smith played by Jeff Fay, he invites his girlfriend Marnie Burke played by Jenny Wright, to hey, come join me in the cyber realm for some of the cyber sex. And so they're in these you know, virtual reality harnesses and then we see in the virtual realm they are these two lovers that you know, embrace each other and then they sort of like merge with each other, become a drag and fly. But in the lawnmower man, this sequence takes a dark turn. She like gets stuck in the like the ground or something, and then she starts freaking out and he turns into a monster and eats her. So we do not see anybody turn into a monster and beyond the mind's eye because obviously that doesn't fit the vibe here. This is not This is not about feeling anxious about technology. This isn't about being afraid that technology is going to eat you. This is about what technology can transform you into. And it's not a monster. It is you know, the eternity.
Speaker 3: Well, but we do go from the cybersex to the haunted castle. But it's I guess nothing bad appears to happen to the to the two lovers on the screen. It's just like we're looking at something else now and it is a haunted castle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that haunted castle looks inviting, though it's like it's like you said, spirit Halloween can territory it's like, don't you want to go over there and meet the fun vampires that live there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's castle they give out the full sized candy bars exactly.
Speaker 1: Now. Multiple individuals and I believe studios worked on the CGI sequences for The lawnmower Man, but they include let's see, there's a Gimmel Everett who lived nineteen fifty one through twenty eleven, who also worked on ninety five Virtuosity and nineteen eighty eight Killer Clowns from Outer Space.
Speaker 3: The Virtuosity is the movie with a virtual reality character played by Russell Crowe who is a virtual serial killer who comes into the real world. And the main thing I remember about it is that the trailer for the movie had Russell Crowe walking through a mall while playing Stay in Alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they basically they three D print him and he's a carbon based organism with blue blood or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's reverse tron that is the situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds like a great idea. I think I saw it back in the day and I remember enjoying it. But let's see, we also have Helene Plotkin, who also worked on something that she's credited for ninety ninety one Liquid Television, Liquid Television. That was a similar situation where they're bringing in different short films and other short projects. And then she also was involved in nineteen ninety nine's Toy Story two. And then there's Brett Leonard born nineteen fifty nine, who also worked on Virtuosity and Killer Clowns from Outer Space. He also directed the music video for Peter Gabriel's Kiss That Frog in two thousand and four, which I had great track, amazing album, big fan of us. The other interesting thing about Brett Leonard, who again it's some connection to this film, is that he directed the nineteen eighty nine film The Dead Pit, a horror movie that is best known to VHS fans for its box VHS box with the light up eyes. So look up an image of this. If you ever went into a VHS rental store back in the day, you inevitably saw this, and if the people running the place remember to refresh its batteries, it's the eyes on the front of the VHS box would light up.
Speaker 3: That's a really good gimmick. I you know, I feel I was a connoisseur of VHS boxes in the nineties in the video store and I don't remember.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, I mean it's not a I don't think. I don't know anything about the film itself, and I never rented it. How could I. I was a child and this was scary, But you know it's I've seen it for sale and you know, prize by collectors. So anyway, those are just some of the folks that were connected to these sequences from the lawnmower Man, which have been repurposed here in Beyond the Mind's Eye. And this won't be the last time we see lawnmower Man footage in this this feature.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, that's just the introductory segment. We cannot speak at great length about all of the segments in the movie, but we'll try to talk about at least most of them for a bit. The second one I thought was also pretty interesting. This one is called Seeds, and it's an animation on the concept of pan spermia, with like a nut or a thing that looks kind of like a pumpkin seed flying through space and then landing on Earth. I don't know why I said a pumpkin seed, because it doesn't look like a pumpkin seed. It's some other kind of seed. I don't know what seed.
Speaker 1: Would you compare it to rob It's just a big old space seed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, caraway seed or something. It's a big old seed. It flies through space and then it plunks down on Earth, and then it gives rise to life on Earth, and we see all kinds of just kind of you know, life dancing about. We see trees as groovy shape shifting dancing machines. Like the trees to the beat of the song, they shift and transform into different kinds of trees with different arrangements of branches and leaves, which again goes back to this morphing concept that we see throughout this whole thing. So there's all these kinds of different representations of life growing and morphing and shifting and taking these different forms. And then eventually there are these pods, these plants that grow as pods that end up shooting seeds back out into space. So it's as if the cycle continues.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Apparently this sequence uses imagery created by computer graphics artists and researcher Carl Simms born nineteen sixty two from his nineteen ninety short Panspermia. He incidentally served as a producer on the first minds Ie release, and this footage would later be used in the Boydsten directed music video for Pantera's cover of the Black Sabbath instrumental Planet Caravan, and you can also find this on YouTube.
Speaker 3: I love Sabbath, I like that song. I did listen and watch this, and I don't love the pinter cover.
Speaker 1: I have to say this whole Panspermia section, I felt like this one felt perhaps more dated by today's standards than the intro, perhaps because a lot of it hinges on depictions of natural world organisms like actual plants, actual animals. And again, what it accomplishes for nineteen ninety or nineteen ninety two is amazing, but I don't know. On top of that, it's not my favorite Hommer track beyond the Mind's Eye. But things do pick up again when we get back into the depictions of actual alien pant sperma with the Big Seed launching cannon plants and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay. The next segment I thought was interesting because it's called Afternoon Adventure, and this track incorporates both live action and computer animation, and it over lays one on top of the other, so we get shots at least that's what I think is going on. I don't think that's cgi. It couldn't be. No, it is. It seems. For example, we get a footage of a real forest that is overlaid with animated insects, and we see a wasp chasing a bee. And what I love is that the on Hommer track that is paired with this sound like chase music from an action film in the eighties or like from Miami Vice. It's like sick, you know, like guitar shredding kind of chase music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like like that bee just robbed a bank and the wasp is on the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wasp, you're a loose cannon. But this has a kind of twist ending actually, So at the you know, we go around and we see a lot of the landscape and we end up zooming out in this one, and we zoom out and out and out, and we go up in the sky and see this whole you know, the contours of the earth and the lakes and the rivers and the hills, and we keep zooming out until we go through a glass barrier and we realized the landscape where we were watching these insects interact was inside of a dome, a dome in space on the surface of a barren moon, and there are many domes like it.
Speaker 1: What this is great though, because yeah, it starts off seeming like yeah, bulge choice to feature both live action and computer generated bugs, especially since you know you really can't create a photorealistic bug at this point. But yeah, by the time you get to the domes, amazing. This is exactly what you want out of your CGI imagery at this point in time. Let us depict other worlds, let us depict you know, the future, show us give us this revelation, and it does.
Speaker 3: Now. The next segment I think, is called Brave New World. It is sort of a representation of the insides of a computer, but rendered in a in a dramatic, almost heroic fashion, And as I was watching it, it actually looked quite familiar to me, and I started thinking, wait a minute, is this footage that was created for those Intel Pennium commercials in the nineties.
Speaker 1: It might have been. I was looking around for an example, and I kept running across other Intel commercials, so I'm not sure about that. But yeah, we get dancing flow vating silver squares, and then we enter various geometric shapes a real kaleidoscope experience, and the track here from Jon Hammer is very soothing. But then it picks up the pace as we sail through the insides of a computer and this is where we get into familiar process or commercial territory. Eventually, a golden titan rises from the computer realm to lift up a giant gear and oh, we realized this titan is Atlas. And I'm not sure I love the idea of computer technology as a shackled, eternally punished titan. I don't know exactly what we're trying to portray there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whether it's the Greek themes, or it's going in a different direction with some kind of I don't know, inn Rand meditation. In any case, this one doesn't hit so great for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the titan looks cool, I will say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see. After this, there's a segment called I think Transformers. This one really looks like a video game, and I think that's because in heart it is reproducing footage from the lawnmower Man of a video game they play in the lawnmower Man. And then also I think we actually just straight up see the job. A character from lawnmower Man.
Speaker 1: In this we do like the raging virtual job where he's.
Speaker 3: Like a yeah, he's mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's I haven't seen The lawnmower Man in a while. I didn't didn't have time to watch it in full for this, but yeah, there's a sequence in lawnmower Man where they're at an arcade. They're playing some sort of like a racing game, and we see the virtual footage from that part of the film here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, the racing part being it's people zoomings through a kind of corridor with these closing teeth that you have to kind of navigate through gaps in.
Speaker 1: This reminds me there was there was a video game tie into The lawnmower Man and my video my video game capabilities at the time were very limited. I think I had a Sega Genesis and they put this game out on Sega Genesis, and I remember wanting it because basically, with the limited capacity of the Sega Genesis, they were able to create some sort of virtual sections, you know, where you're like flying around in a three dimensional space, something that you know, by today's standards is just old hat, but at the time, on Genesis like it was like, whoa, you can do things like that on this machine. I want in, even though I don't know how I feel about that movie. I want to play the game. And to be clear, I think other parts of the game are just typical side scrolling. But they had some sort of a gimmicked sort of virtual reality section.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh but wait a minute. This one's called Transformers and there's something like a Transformer in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we do get We do get some sort of a laser night that's chasing around a transformer, like a robot that changes into a race car. I don't know if this is an actual transformer or a gobot or just a general riff on the overall concept, but there it is.
Speaker 3: Man. So the next segment is one that really was a hit for me. It's probably the cheesiest segment, or one of the cheesiest in it, but I loved it, especially because of how catchy the music is. This is the one called Too Far, which has more different imagery in it than I can possibly recount here. But it's got what these sort of jazz design robots playing drums on a crumbling planet surface with desolate gray buildings. What a weird juxtaposition. So it's like a a gray post apocalyptic world with ruined buildings, but these happy robots made of these kind of jazz squiggles are all like, oh boy, I'm feeling the feeling the groove.
Speaker 1: It's like you had a monkey's paw and you wished that windows clip art became like syndient. You know, we're not clip art really. What's his name, the paper Clippy Clippy. It's like Clippy and his like demonic kin were brought to life and they're here to rock out, at least in theory, but you know it's gonna get violent.
Speaker 3: Clip multicolored Clippy family reunion and they're all playing hand drums. Yeah. But then it's not just that. There's also an angry looking like hamhead guy sitting watching a TV and a necktie and he keeps kind of burping and his head comes off and then it sinks down into his neck and then it pops off again, and he's watching things on TV. And we see what he's watching on the TV, which is I think robots on roller coasters. And then there's there's more TV watching themes with something that's just a straight up eyeball watching a TV but then it gets scared and it hides behind the couch.
Speaker 1: Ah. You know. The roller coaster, the virtual roller coaster thing, of course, has never gotten old like that basically spawned a whole video game franchise, and I think Regal Cinema still rolls that out at the beginning of their Seeing a picture in Regal Cinema. Right, you get to ride that virtual roller coaster a little bit. Some people like will put their hands up to get into it.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll do that.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: And then so this musical number has some vocals in it. Vocals are not super prominent in the music throughout this but a couple of tracks have vocals.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And the only lyrics you get in this song, which again the segment is called too Far. We see these sort of these these three singers with big hair, all three of them. It's CGI singers. Of course. I don't know if I needed to say that, but yes, these sort of sort of CGI mannequin figures with huge hair, and they're singing too far, take it easy, It's all right? What are those three phrases? How do they interlock? Too far? Take it easy, It's all right?
Speaker 1: It's like what the stages of grief or something right, okay.
Speaker 3: Oh, and then there's like a whole eyeball family. Remember there was an eyeball earlier that was watching the TV. Uh Nick got scared. But now there's a whole family of eyeballs. It's like a mommy and daddy eyeball. And then I'm a lot of little eyeballs and they're all watching the TV and they're watching a robot on TV tell us that we've gone too far. And then my favorite part of the whole thing is we see this assembly line inside of a factory that makes terminators. They're just making terminator exoskeletons, good, pumping out T eight hundreds. And then they produce a canned beverage called Too Far Juice. Funny tie in here. I just on a lark. I don't know why it even occurred to me to do this. I was like, wonder if there's anything in reality called Too Far Juice? And I googled it and there is a brewery based in Minnesota called the Fair State Brewing Cooperative that has I've never had a beer from them, so I don't know anything about them except they have a beer called Too Far juice, and I compared it. The can design looks exactly like this can in beyond on the mind's eyes. So that is a deep reference for a brewery to make. I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 1: I think it's just because of just all the beer out there. I'm not really a beer enthusiast, but I love seeing the variety. There's so many different beers. There's so many different like cool names for beers, and you even see cool stuff like the waylan Utani beer. Aspen beer was finally brought into reality recently as a promotion for Alien Romulus by Angel City Brewery. You could finally get a can of the beer that they're drinking on the Nostromo in the original nineteen seventy nine Alien film.
Speaker 3: It's very safe to drink.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this does seem like a much deeper cut. Too Far Juice seems seems that maybe a bit too far. I don't know how many people who drank it really caught the reference, but you know, tip of the hat to those that did.
Speaker 3: If I'm ever visiting Minnesota, I'm gonna have to get me a Too Far Juice.
Speaker 1: Well, this whole segment here of on the mind's eye. This one really made me want my MTV. This felt very, very in line with the Dire Straits video Yes for Money for Nothing. Yeah, so that's the vibe I got here.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah. Let's see now there are still more segments to talk about. There's one called Windows that's kind of a change of pace, because this one is fairly melancholy, like most of the others are I don't know, the others are jaunty here, they're you know, more of a kind of a spirit of fun or excitement. This one is a little bit down tempo and a little bit sad. And we see a room full of paintings and wine bottles and a loot, and then the loot floats off of the wall and then everything starts floating in the air and flying around, and there's a guitar solo, and it ends sort of with classic classical two D paintings like van Goff's self portrait peeling out into three dimensions.
Speaker 1: And this effect is pretty cool. I thought this held up pretty good. It doesn't feel as dated as because a lot of things inherently feel dated in this picture. And I like the music here, especially the early goings of it. Are very chill, very gentle. The gentle yng Hummer agree.
Speaker 3: Now the gentle themes continue because the next segment is quite tender. It's like a love story, and it actually has dialogue. We didn't have that since the intro. So the music here it's called nothing but Love, and it sounds kind of like soft acoustic guitar. We meet two different characters named Lata and Arturo, and we see a note on the wall that says, Lota, happy birthday, see you at seven, virtually yours Arturo. So I guess these are characters that know they are they're self consciously virtual characters, but they're both sort of red tinted CGI bodies. Arturo comes in and meets Lata, and then he offers her a magic checkered cube kind of like a Rubik's cube that turns into a flying liquid metal snake, and then a lot of turns old and looks mad, and then we get dialogue and she says, I don't want your sculptures. I love you, and then they kiss and then they twirl and then they melt together as liquid metal.
Speaker 1: That's what love in the virtual realm consists of. I guess we have kind of this is like an Adam and Eve sort of thing, right is the red sculpture and apple the snake self explanatory.
Speaker 3: Okay, I didn't think about that. The next one is great. It's called Pyramid. I loved this one. It's got some interesting kind of flute sounds. It sounds almost kind of South American or something. And then it's got like a dog chasing butterflies, these strange marionette gods dancing on top of a pyramid with a yellow, flaming sky. This is the one that's got a lady with like leopard print on her flesh. At one point she says, we are of the butterfly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's inherently trippy and cryptic. But the dancing god or statues or whatever they are, these were monstrous, but in the sense too that like they're moving in a way that maybe trying to pattern like human dance movements, but it just feels very clunky and inhuman. But I don't know that kind of works. If these are gods, why not. They're not of our world, And generally I like the other worldliness of this section. You know, strange pyramids, weird gods, talking leopard ladies, I'm all for it.
Speaker 3: You know. I've got a real beef with Beyond the Mind side, though, which is that up to this point there have been not nearly enough human bodies with horse heads. They're about to do me right here. So Theater of Magic is the next segment. It's got everything you want. It's got mirrors with masks flying around inside them. It's got a theater lobby staircase. So it's like that animation at the movie theater where you go out of the It shows you going out of the theater and out the staircase, down the staircase to the lobby to get some refreshments. Here it's the opposite. You're going up the staircase in the lobby. And then we see a marble statue of a man playing an obo at a marble lion which comes to life on an alien planet, jumps over a flaming brazier, goes into a maze, and then we see a volcano explode and this turns into a metallic woman with a horse head.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love this. I love the creatures, the weird landscapes, the virtual reality zooms, the labyrinth, that volcano spewing dianetics everywhere, great stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Oh, and this is the one that's got the eyeball metronomes. At one point, we're just on a planet surface and they're metronomes ticking everywhere, and they've got eyeballs at the top of the ticker whatever you call that, the I don't know what it's called, the part that ticks on a metronome. It's like Easter Island, but with eyeball metronomes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then we see a Golden War galley rowing into Spain. Hey. Connecting to recent episodes, this is a Was this a triream? I don't think so. It just looks like one level of oars.
Speaker 1: To me, this looked like, yeah, we have elements of sort of fantasy Viking here. We Yeah, this is take it for what it is. It's a crazy space galley and it is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And so we also in this one gets some mixing of live action shots of locations and models, like a room and a house with CGI and then a landscape with green clouds and lightning. I recall this one kind of ends abruptly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, some of them do. Like, Okay, we've said all we can say about this move on to the next one.
Speaker 3: That sort of thing. Okay, very last segment. This one starts with space imagery. It depicts a quasar, like a rotating black hole, surrounded by this big disc of orange dust, the jets coming out the poles. We see a sea scape and there is a mermaid with one of those seashell bras and she I noticed this about the mermaid. She's hinges like her tail like hinges or fishtail does, which made me think she's supposed to be not an organic mermaid but a toy come.
Speaker 1: To life, I guess, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But in any case, she flies into the sky and then we get a trio of naked male figures without faces, so the interior of the skull is just smooth, and they start folding upon themselves and into each other, and it becomes just this kaleidoscopic exercise of folding and mixing and blending these naked male forms altogether.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one's pretty cool. You could imagine this playing on the big screen behind you know, your favorite prog rock band or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we go to credits, which there are a lot of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a solid ten minutes of credits. Like I was expecting at least five more minutes of computer animated mayhem, but no, just ten minutes of credits. But that also means ten more minutes of Yon Hamer music and it's pretty good. And yeah, to their credit, they do shout out seemingly everybody involved in the creation of these images. So yeah, well worth a look.
Speaker 3: All right, So we've done a basic outline of the content of Beyond the Mind's Eye. But I was so curious about why this movie feels so I don't know, potent with meaning and historical significance, and so I thought we might analyze it a little bit here or see what we can come up with at least. And one way of thinking about it that was sticking in my mind is that, you know, I'm pretty strongly persuaded by medium is the message kind of analysis. In other words, I think a lot of times the practical functional characteristics of a medium of information delivery often influence our thinking about the world more powerfully than the content of the information delivered. So a classic example of this kind of thinking, I've mentioned this on the show before is the kind of Neil Postman idea that the invention of television had a powerful influence on culture because the format of TV puts a primary emphasis on the entertainment value of information. So what's important is the ability of something to grab and hold on to your visual attention, So that when printed news shifted to TV news, you also get a shift in our fundamental concept of news worthiness that what was newsworthy became more likely to be synonymous with what's most entertaining or attention holding, et cetera. So, thinking with that kind of analysis, I started to wonder, what, if anything, are the distinct messages that are hidden in the medium of computer animation, as distinct from the medium of live action film or from traditional anima. One of the things that absolutely stood out to me about it is that there is an incredibly strong theme of absorption running throughout. It is hard to watch beyond the mind's eye and not come away thinking that your essence will somehow be absorbed and subsumed into a kind of metallic goop out of which infinite other forms will be assembled and then liquidated once again. So you are not necessarily discreet. You are a quantity of moldable material, which can be both frightening and exciting. The kind of friendly version of this idea is oneness with the universe, but the more threatening version is just that kind of like you are raw material that something or someone could turn into anything.
Speaker 1: This reminds me of stuff we've discussed in the show before concerning the ideas of Jaron Laniar that you know when it comes to social media, and that is that you are not the user. You are the product. You're a part of this grand thing, but you're not playing the role in it that you thought you were. So so yeah, it's certainly worth thinking about. But I agree there is a tangible desire that is evident in this film that, like, you want to be absorbed by a comforting digital world. You know, a strong sense of technological optimism along those lines where about where computer culture is headed, where it can take you, and it doesn't entertain the possibility that CGI technology will eat us, even though again that's definitely a part of the lawnmower Man sequences that were cut out for Beyond the Mind's Eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, there's a fine line between being absorbed and being eaten. I guess. I mean the absorption themes are more they feel more wholesome and inviting. It's just kind of like, yeah, you're going to become a part of it all, and then all of that will become many other things.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting that like kind of ties into some aspects of the psychedelic experience, which of course, you know, differs from person to person. But you know, this idea of interconnectedness, realizing that you're all part of like one people, one planet. You know that all these interpersonal connections are the most valuable things in your life. And there's this idea, Okay, well maybe the future is going to be a technological version of that, and it sort of is, but it also sort of isn't, or it can be that with a more negative air to it. You know, it's I guess the reality of something is always like maybe not, you know, a complete divorce from the initial optimism. But there are other dimensions to it as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can absolutely see that. Man. One thing I really think about that stands out in all this early CGI is the strong communicated idea that the essence of all reality is essentially geometric, that the underlying structure of planets and trees and human beings and music and love and starlight is polyhedrons. And I don't know exactly, like if you sort of take on that feeling, how that cashes out into values or other beliefs about the world. But it is hard to deny that that is a feeling created by watching this stuff. Everything turns into a series of intersecting angles and lines, and that can create a very elegant feeling, a kind of mathematical beauty and a sense of symmetry in all that. Like the idea that the world is reducible to geometry can be a beautiful and romantic way to think about things. And it's also like the functional power of math kind of leads you to think that, Like I don't know, just thinking of everything as geometry and math to be manipulated means that like almost anything is possible in reality. But yeah, I'm not sure exactly where all that goes, But there's a geometric brain mindset that really gets into you from watching all of this animation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's like everything is coming out of an order, an order that is understood that is literally programmed by human beings, like almost like we're recreating reality, but it's a reality that makes sense and is understandable and we have.
Speaker 3: Full control over Yeah, Yeah, which.
Speaker 1: I guess that's one of the advantages of one of the attractions of various like virtual worlds, right, it is like a limited version of the real world that we have more control over and we know the limits of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of our level of control, another thing I was thinking about with Beyond the Mind's Eye and zooming out to the broader issue of CGI as a medium, what is the message of the CGI medium? I was really thinking about the idea of a moving perspective. So in live action and traditional animation, we sometimes have a camera or a perspective that moves through the space that we're looking at. But more often, i'd say, at least half the time, you have a static camera or a static perspective with moving subjects. So usually when you're watching other types of media, you are holding still and the subject of the shot is what's in motion. Again, that's changes. You know, there are dolly shots, and there are moving cameras in film and all that. It happens sometimes, but more often you're used to being in one place and watching the subject move. When I think about early computer animation, it seems to me that the quote camera, though of course there is no camera, it's just the selected viewpoint within the three D space. As the frames are rendered, it feels like that camera almost never stops moving, and in beyond the mind's eye, it's almost constantly in motion. And that motion means we are, without our say so, being just pulled into scenes and images as with a tractor beam. So the very first animated segment of this movie has the viewer plunging through a tunnel of lights. And you know, remember what the head tells you at the beginning, Actually it says you are now entering a world inside the essence of your imagination. Look within your dreams. They can take you beyond the mind's eyes. So I think it's it's not a coincidence that this early CGI showcase would use this kind of language of being literally taken somewhere. By looking, you are agreeing to be taken somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, enter into the world of dream. I mean that lines up with what I was saying earlier about more recent AI generated images, that they seem like the product of dream. They seem like a dream that you have partially forgotten, and that's part of the appeal of it, And that's I feel like that's definitely the case here in the early nineties with this footage in particular. Also, again it fits with the subject matter like it's not really there's not really a narrative. It's very abstract. The meaning is entirely open to your interpretation for the most part. Yeah, it's it's a trip, as Roger Ebert.
Speaker 3: Said, Yeah, exactly. And the constant motion of the viewpoint of the perspective or the camera makes it feel like it's literally a trip. You are constantly being sucked into new places and physically made to look at new things as opposed to being where you are and having things happen in front of you. Now, what does that kind of message cash out to. I don't know, I feel like it kind of It kind of ties into another line and a song in there, the too Far Take it Easy, It's all right. It's almost like, you know, this new world of technology is going to take you places without asking you. It's going to overwhelm you and just take you there. And now you're looking at this and you might not even comprehend or be able to control what it is you're seeing now, but just relax and surrender. It'll be okay.
Speaker 1: Say yes to the lawnmower. Man. Yeah, it weirdly has me wanting to rewatch The lawnmower Man or lawnmower Man Too, Job's War or whatever other title it had.
Speaker 3: You know, I haven't seen them in a long time. I would want to watch them for the animated scenes, But what I recall is that the human plot and all that is just kind of unpleasant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, likely, so likely so, but who knows, It's been a while. Nobody eats yard clippings though, Like that was the c one of the creepiest things about the original King Store.
Speaker 3: Well, if the animator merges your form into that of a sheep, you might you know, this is liable to happen to all of us because our again, our forms are not fixed where we can morphit any moment. Oh and that sort of ties into just one last thing I wanted to mention I thought was interesting about trends in early CGI. Did you also notice a visual theme that things are the same at every gale, That there's like all this zooming in and out and going out into space and seeing planets and stars and quasars and galaxies and all that, and then you zoom in and see microscopic mechanisms and cells in a bloodstream, and circuit boards, circuit boards represented as cities with skyscrapers and stuff, and so there's this It seemed to me there's this repeated theme throughout a lot of early CGI, and it's here in this movie too, of a kind of scale agnosticism, that what exists at one level of resolution is reproduced at greater levels of resolution. So the more you zoom in or the more you zoom out, you just keep seeing the same patterns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. Yeah, as we inevitably like zoom in and out of these imagined micro and macro worlds.
Speaker 3: The message of that is you got to put computers inside your body. It's time to be a cyborg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess. I mean that's part of the that's kind of wrapped up in the optimism too. Will become machines, will become this synthesis of biology and technology, and it's just gonna make everything smoother and cooler and shinier.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to be t one thousand coup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything is crow all right. Well, there you have it beyond the mind's eye. I don't know if I'm gonna keep exploring the other films in this franchise, it seems like somebody should put out a big, thick, blu ray set like of all of them. Surely that's in the works.
Speaker 3: Why has nobody done that? Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: I read that some of the extras on one of the physical releases of this included a sequence where we get to see a young Hummer band in which all four members of the band are Yon Hummer. So there are some extras like that I'd like to see as well. I couldn't find a stream of that anywhere.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: All right. As of publication time, we have not yet heard back from the director. If we do hear back from the director, please tune in to the next Listener Mail episode and we will share his answers to our questions. All Right, We're gonna go ahead and close out this episode of Weird House Cinema. This one's been fine. We'd love to hear from everyone out there. Were you too a child of the nineties, Do you remember the commercials for this on TV or in print? Did you rent or purchase Beyond the Mind's Eye? And how much did it blow your mind? We want to hear your thoughts on it and what has it been like to revisit it. What are your What are your thoughts on some of our various ideas that we presented in this episode. Let's see if you We'll just remind you here that Weird House Cinema. These are Friday in the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast feed we're primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set all that aside for the time being. If you want to see a complete list of all the films we've covered on Weird House Cinema over the years, go to letterbox dot com. It's L E T T E R B O x D dot com. Our profile is weird House and you will find the list. Sometimes there'll be a sneak peek ahead at what's coming out the following week.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.