Speaker 1: We normally do random preshow chatter about stuff that means nothing, but I want to jump right into this one, frankly, because this is one people have been waiting for for quite a while.
Speaker 2: I know I've been waiting for this one me too.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've now said the title of this movie in the opening of every single Magical Rewind and I had yet to actually see this film.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Okay, so this is awesome. I mean, it's not a shocker you haven't seen.
Speaker 2: It will of course, of course, of course, But this.
Speaker 3: One I was really excited for. But again, I love it because it was so long ago since I.
Speaker 2: Last saw it. It felt sort of like seeing it again for the first time.
Speaker 1: You know, this was right in your wheelhouse for the time you were watching right, like.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, And it was I mean, literally grab your popcorn type of a moment. It was so good I cannot wait, been waiting, and now's the time.
Speaker 1: Now, then let's just do it then, So welcome back to Magical Rewind. It is a show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn. Go back to a time when all the houses were smart. The waves. Tsunamis in the high school musical I'm Will for Dell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina Bryant.
Speaker 1: H excuse me, Pat? Can you please let everyone know it's time to recap the fan favorite sci fi comedy from nineteen ninety nine, Smart House, a genuine DCOM classic Little Do Thank you very much, Pat, Okay, we heard your demands, and we are, of course coming to the magical Rewind is getting a major technological upgrade with this dcom that first aired on June twenty sixth, nineteen ninety nine, and is regularly considered the best ever made. Absolutely and if you think I'm lying, the Entertainment Weekly list we so commonly speak of has Smart House at number one, and Collider the Ebert to ew Siskel has it at number three. Still very high, but also very high expectations here and as far as the subject matter, way way way ahead of its time, I mean, geez it, predating things like AI, Alexa, nest ring, VR and the overall technophobia that comes with having all those things. This movie, released originally as Fantasy, has quickly become our everyday lives just twenty five short years later. It is a rare cautionary tale made for kids. Especially from the Disney brand, and people still love it and it's much more relevant today than it was during its release. We saw the same thing with Pixel Perfect, so it's cool to see that the channel was well ahead of its time here, as it is with so many other things. Another rare feat the movie Ready was filmed in Los Angeles. Yes, it was actually LA and they actually used Taft High School as a shooting location, a school campus very close to not only my heart but my house. What you might not know is that Smart House is based on a short story by Ray Bradberry, the Michael Jordan of sci fi writing that centers on a few tristic house that turns on its owner. And there is a horror movie that just came out a few months ago as well, very similar to Smart House, produced by Blumhouse. We're gonna say house an awful lot today called Afraid but spelled giant AFR giant aid. I think with a focus on AI of course, in the world nowadays, and you can point to movies like Megan or Ex Machina or Her that are all very similar, but you could never make them jokes now because they're all terrifying and probably going to happen to us. Smart House is available to stream right now in Disney Plus using something like your Smart TV or Apple TV, two things that could eventually kill you. Who knows. We also don't know if you're gonna watch this first before we talk about it or vice versa. We don't know, but I'm guessing your Alexa does. It's completely up to you, all right, one of us has actually seen this before? Three guesses who Yeah, it wasn't me, but Sabrina has seen this before. But I don't even want to know what you thought about it watching it this time. Can you remember what you thought about it the first time you watched Smart House?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's exactly where I was the entire time watching this of going I remember thinking, could you imagine having a screen that would like really? I mean I had friends that had kind of different things, like little monitors, but they were buttons.
Speaker 2: They weren't screens.
Speaker 3: You know, Could you have like a touch screen in your room all of the things. Could you imagine being able to do that on your wall? Could you imagine just all of that.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff?
Speaker 3: I remember when I was younger, going Wow, that would be unreal, and then watching it back I'm like, you can literally do it. How does Disney do this? They're like imagineers or just insane happen.
Speaker 1: Really, they really are predicting the future so many different ways, different times. They're way ahead of it when it comes to women empowerments, the technology, I mean, when it comes to LGBTQ stuff. I mean, Disney is always at the forefront of all of this stuff.
Speaker 3: Totally bringing up like could you imagine you know, like changing having big changes in that's say, well.
Speaker 1: If there is some great poet I forget who, I forget who it was. It might have been sueco I can't remember, but some poet who essentially said, the first thing you have to do to make something real is to first imagine. Yeah, and it's true. So somebody has to come up with just okay, this is this is the idea, and it's so out there and so outlandish. And the next thing, you know, hopefully someday we're actually gonna have lightsabers, so which would be just the coolest thing in the road. Still hoping, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Yes, keep it alive, will keep the dream alive.
Speaker 1: I know the week they actually invent lightsabers, because I will lose a hand anyway, So let's make sure that you're not logged into a chat room because we'll need to use the phone. Yeah, that's a nice nineties reference.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: It's time for the synopsis. A teenager wins a fully automated dream house in a competition, but soon the computer begins to take over and everything gets out of control. What did you think of this movie?
Speaker 2: I loved this movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, hands down. I loved all of the fun, different imagination, things that weren't invented yet. I loved the storyline. I loved the very emotional moments and seeing that we got I mean, all of it was just rounded out to being an incredible movie. I was ear to ear smiling the entire time. Loved, loved, loved this movie.
Speaker 1: That's great you.
Speaker 3: Didn't tell me you did otherwise I'm leaving right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the thing. Everybody had built this movie up and built this movie up and built this movie, okay, and then when I watched it, it totally worked entirely with the build up. It is a great movie. I think I have a new favorite, although Motocrosso because of the sports aspect, but this was so decom so wonderful. It had emotionality that some of the other movies don't do. It dealt with topics like loss and death, and it was really really good.
Speaker 2: And the masts in this killed it.
Speaker 3: The only thing I would say is not actually seeing Katie longer.
Speaker 1: You wish you could see like a fit. She is a.
Speaker 3: Goddess, if not possibly like an original cheated girl with all her stuff from Big Bundy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I believe we might go there.
Speaker 3: But that's the only thing I could say is I wish she was on my screen longer. I mean she I heard her the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the main I would say this, I would put one little caveat to that. The main cast is phenomenal, phenomenal, great to a person great. Some of the close friends and or bullies are not the best, No, not the best. But it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: It didn't matter. I agree, it did not matter, and it was greeny tiny flaw. It didn't matter to me.
Speaker 3: I agree with you matter, I kept I was the higher time.
Speaker 1: Agree with you one hundred percent. I had a phenomenal time watching this movie. I did not for one second need to pause it and walk out of the room. I didn't need to take a minute. It wasn't slow. I wasn't looking at my phone, I wasn't playing a game. I was watching this movie the whole time and thoroughly enjoying it. So smart House is directed by one of America's most beloved treasures. And this will probably shock a lot of our audience. I know it shocked the hell out of me because I had no idea when his name came on screen. It's LeVar Burton, that's right, Jordi from so many incarnations of the Star Trek franchise. And of course that's not all you know him from. He was the host of Reading Rainbow, a pioneering educational show that promoted literacy. He was the iconic Kuntakinte in Roots, a legendary TV mini series that was actually just his second job ever. And if you just see his performance in that, it is unreal. And he's appeared on Big Bang Theory and Community, and you can hear him in animated shows like Transformers, Rescue Bots where I got to work with them, and Mission Force one. And when it comes to directing, this was his first time ever. This is the first thing he ever directed. Was smart House.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't believe it because it's so good.
Speaker 1: It was great, and it had he had to do all the special effects, and it had a whole bunch of different sets and it was really really great. So down the road he did end up directing some of the Star Trek episodes, Charmed and a dozen ncises as well. But yes, he was the man behind Smart House. Did you know that? Because I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I had no idea. I had no idea.
Speaker 1: It was great. Smart House stars dcom favorite and a vital teen bopper from his time, Ryan Merriman. Ryan is probably my second nobody is gonna beat. I mean, we know doll who Sir Jason is and Jason, and Sir Jason has been rightfully.
Speaker 2: Love me some Ryan.
Speaker 3: He's so good, such a likable kid, great in Luck of the Irish.
Speaker 1: He's just great in the actor too, I mean just act a good actor. So, as Sabrina just said, we know Ryan from his work in the Look of the Irish. Go check out our recap if you don't. But he's also movies like The Ring two, Final Destination three and Rockets, Red Glare, alongside a friend of the show, Daniel fishl and TV shows like The Pretender, Smallville and The Mommy's Alongside friend of the show Shiloh Strong and we Hear at Magical Rewind are definitely Merriman heads for sure. We're big. We're big, big fans of that Final Destination three? Is that the one that where I can no longer drive behind the trucks with the with the with the logs or was that number two?
Speaker 3: You know, all the three of those movies really meshed together for me. I'm just kind of scared of everything from those movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's one where Ali Larder just ends up in a room, not just oh sorry, roller coaster, that's the roller coaster.
Speaker 2: The roller coaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I love roller coasters, so I was really upset with that.
Speaker 1: I love driving behind trucks that toe lumber, and I can't do that anymore. That was like my favorite thing. I used to just do that all the time. Well, thank you, Ryan Merriman. Katie Folding plays his sister, Angie, and she's another familiar name for our listeners because she is the star of.
Speaker 2: Brink Ing the Jerk Sister, which she is not in this.
Speaker 1: She's not.
Speaker 3: She's great in this in this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She also played Katie on the short lived t G I Have Showed Teen Angel and starred in the TV movie trilogy OH Pair one, two and three, written by friend of Pod Meets World, Jeffrey Sherman. Katie left the entertainment business in two thousand and five and is now a tattoo artist in Upstate New York, going by the name yet right, going by the name k T Steyer Styler. I want to get that right, s t I e h l e R. And her Instagram account is at kt V t A t t o o e R or Katie V Tattooer if you want to go check out her work. So, the little girl from Brink and Smart House is a tattoo artist.
Speaker 2: Now can you imagine? You think she has like sleeves.
Speaker 1: And maybe we'll have to check. We'll have to check. It's also worth noting that actress Brie Larsen auditioned for this role, and that's not the first time we have said that about a d com. Kevin Kilner is the veteran actor playing their widowed dad, Nick Cooper. He has well over one hundred credits on IMDb, but some highlights include TV shows, like One Tree Hill Earth, Final Conflict and Almost Perfect, and movies like a Cinderella Story with Hillary Duff and Raising Helen Jessica Stein plays Sarah, the tech wuiz in charge of Smart House. Stein was Jennifer Pilot Chase and many iterations of Captain Power and The Soldiers of the Future, but is best known as Lisa's stillman on the TV show Heartland. She also appeared in movies like Slapshot two. They made a Slapshot two and Armageddon, where she was great, and a ton of TV shows including Charmed, Flashpoint, and The Outer Limits. And she's really really good in this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh she's so sweet eye.
Speaker 1: Like and the acting was spotted. They were all just really good. They're very few, and we'll get into it, but very few of these actors. Sometimes you get actors that treat it like a d com if that makes sense. The acting becomes bigger. It's because, well, it's just a kid. They kept this grounded and it worked great, so good. And in the Coleman Reynolds chair this we've got a very recognizable voice and eventual face in the role of the house computer pat. It's Katie Sagal. She is a sitcom Hall of Famer for her time as the iconic Peg Bundy and Married with Children for eleven seasons, a role that earned her four Golden Globe nominations. She is also the voice behind Tarangaalela on Futurama, which is one of my favorite animated series of all time, and starred in the TV shows Eight Simple Rules and Sons of Anarchy, which did finally winner that Golden Globe. She is also in one of my favorite movies of all time, Pitch Perfect two Shout out to my Bella's Also, Katie is a true legend who actually started her career Get This as a backup singer for artists like Edda James, Olivia Newton John and Tanya Tucker. Wow. It runs eighty two minutes, which is eight below the target, but as we always say, below ninety, that's fine, dy, We don't actually say that. We probably shouldn't start. I don't think we should. We don't need to trademark that because that's never been said before and hopefully we'll never be said again. Smart House was written by William Hudson. This was this is only credit ever and it was co credited with the d com Daddy and former guest and magical rewind who were hoping to have back the great Stu Krieger. So I think we could assume this was one of the scripts that he was talking about when he came on. Yes, he'd help, you know, but he also say that a first time writer would come in and they'd need somebody with the experience to come and kind of give it a punch and to help it, and and Stu was the man to always do that. So this seems like one of those to scripts he was telling us about, especially because Stu told us that this was his favorite dcom script that he ever wrote, because he did a ton of research for it, even visiting the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab, which is like, oh, I would love to do that on my playground, which is the reason we see so many inventions of the film that actually came to fruition years later. So go listen to our interview with Stu, because he's just great and entertaining. He is in the quote unquote, I don't give an era of his career, So he just was giving us all the team, all of it.
Speaker 2: All of it. What a great episode that was.
Speaker 1: That it really was interview he had so many stories, so no need to wait any longer. Let's get in to Smart House. We open on a typical suburban neighborhood with a paper boy in his bike, flinging newspapers under the front yards just using his hands, Sabrina not using it didn't have a launcher specialty eighties can in that everybody used. When he gets to a rather large house on the route, he throws the paper and we hear a computer voice inform him, young man in the future, please deposit the paper inside its designated target area. Then a very long robot arm pops out of the doorway and retrieves the newspaper. She alerts him that she'll be monitoring his accurately from here on out, and the poor little kid looks terrified. And as the title smart House appears on the screen, I'm curious, what do you think about the robot effect to start the robot arm, because.
Speaker 2: It wasn't great, But if you think about the time, but at the.
Speaker 3: Time, yes, that it's hard to kind of flip back and forth because some of this stuff was kind of cool, but the time to flip back and forth, and all I could think of it's.
Speaker 1: The claw.
Speaker 3: The clock really was kind of the villain of the whole movie, to be honest, it looked like she was a getting say and pissed.
Speaker 2: This clock came out.
Speaker 1: I was just like, Wow, it was Doctor Octavia's arms and it was pretty good for a d com in the nineties. Too bad wasn't great, but not too bad for a dcom in the nineties. Yea. Now inside the house, the robot arm releases the paper to Miles and Sarah, a businessman and woman, happy to see the home was written about in the new issue. Miles thinks it's because the writer has a crush on Sarah, and Sarah says she's too busy to care. I was absolutely convinced right off the bat this was a married couple, saying acted like a married couple. They were in the house like a married couple. I just thought they were a married couple, so they seemed to be romantically linked. But this is something that never then came up again in the movie. Apparently they just work together. Sarah is going to become the love.
Speaker 2: Interest of completely what it seems like you.
Speaker 1: But it was really weird vibes to start with. I I kind of don't almost feel like they should have rewritten it, and it should have been another woman in the in the nineties, you wouldn't nowadays that can mean anything. In the nineties on television, have instantly thought that they could have been a couple. Where is this the way they said that.
Speaker 3: He also had these weird glasses that I thought they were going to explain. I thought maybe he was like reading like a newspaper within the glasses or something, but instead they were just an oddly lensed colored glasses. They never explained or.
Speaker 1: Him at all. Really, yeah, he was not explained at all. I got those vibes that they were a couple. It was weird. But anyway, we find out that Miles and Sarah are the masterminds behind this technologically advanced home, which, let's be honest here looks very nineties normal on the inside. I mean, it was just the house was smart, but they kept it looking like it was house. I was wondering giant it was, But do you think it could have used some futuristic stuff on the inside.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, But I mean I feel when they've gone when when the set designers have gone too far, it starts to look very comic bookie, very like to me.
Speaker 2: Like poof point, So maybe that was kind of more of a you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wanted it to the house, but at the house does everything.
Speaker 3: When she was working on the control panel and then slides it over, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, yep, she kind of like velcrows it back.
Speaker 2: Really totally disappeared. No one would know.
Speaker 1: I agree it was nate. Sarah then asks pat the house computer, which stands of course for personal advanced technology, what the current temperature is, and the computer voice responds seventy two point five degrees with voice recognition, giving us the very first look at what would basically later become ALEXA. And now, when you saw this in the nineties or when other kids saw this in the nineties, do you think this was all this will never happen it's too zenon the get this Or do you think this is like I can't wait till this is real.
Speaker 2: No, for me, it was like, whow that would be so cool? Never gonna happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, whoa so cool? Yes exactly, even the moment where they FaceTime yes, yes, like that'll never happen. I don't even I remember not even believing it when they were saying iPhones were actually gonna be able to do that.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, yeah, whatever, Star Trek. They didn't FaceTime in Star Trek. They literally didn't even FaceTime in Star Trek. Miles says, of course, the house is a masterpiece. The only thing left to do is wait for a lucky family to move in and screw it all up. We are now in a smaller house. We meet Ben, the young man of the Cooper family, and he is making dinner. The rap song playing is repeatedly saying the house is jumping, but unless you think draining routini is a real party, the song is false advertising. The phone rings, it's a woman named Melanie for his dad. He takes the message and jumps onto his laptop to complete a report on Leonardo da Vinci. I almost said DiCaprio. That would have been weird. He then sets the table for his dad and his sister, then picks up his sister Angie from a sleepover, reminds her when one of my favorite moments, reminds her. Like she's walking out, He's like, hey, how about a thank you? And she turns around, Oh yeah, thank you for having me. It's like they're showing that he's helping to raise this kid. Yes, he's running a household, so maybe the house is jumping after all. Once home, Ryan returns to his computer to enter a contest, which is, of course, win a smart house. He has very high hopes, but jumps right back and feeding his dog and testing his sister on her spelling. Eventually they're enthusiastic. Dad Nick returns home from a successful business trip, and Angie is stoked because this means their dad can relax and focus on dating to find them a new mom. This instantly triggers Ben, who asks why we need to do that. They're already a perfect family the way they are. Nick says, even though they are perfect, there's always room for improvement. But Ben just isn't sold. They'll have everything they need soon, referring to this pipe dream contest he just entered. Let's see what happens there. Were you a contest person growing up? Did you ever enter any of these things? No?
Speaker 3: Anything I enter, I don't win. I have the worst luck, really, raffle, Really yeah, I just I can't. The only thing I think I've ever won was with my husband, who's very competitive.
Speaker 2: Was like, silentce, you.
Speaker 1: Won your husband, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: It was his silent auction type stuff where he's like gonna like pay tollion dollars over somebody else just to win, just make sure you want, which I don't find. I don't like that at all. But yeah, no I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't. Contests are just I'm like not lucky that much.
Speaker 1: I'm not much of a contest guy ever. But I remember having to call into radio shows to win like tickets to something.
Speaker 2: Did you do that?
Speaker 1: And it was and it was always busy. You just get the busy signal. Yeah, you gotta be a nice like that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't have patience for that.
Speaker 3: My friend Sarah, she wins things on the radio all the time because she is it and and just she'll get like two or three phones and just.
Speaker 1: Wait is she doing that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Do they still do that? Yeah, there's radio contest.
Speaker 2: So the Dodgers game, the sixth game on my heart?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, yeah, I shouldn't say don't listen to the radio when.
Speaker 3: All the iHeart stuff for sure too, concert tickets all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I love iHeart. I listened to you all the time.
Speaker 2: Is laughing at you at this?
Speaker 1: I listened to a lot of podcasts. I listened a lot of podcast but I don't anyway. Well, we are now outside and Ben is doing something we've seen him do an awful lot, and I mean Ryan Merriman. By the way, he's shooting hoops. She might contractually have to do in every Disney movie he stars in, since he also does it in Luck of the Irish. It's also worth pointing out this was the best. He is wearing a shirt with a picture of a basketball on it that looks just like the basketball that he's shooting. He's holding him together. It was basketball inception. It was very, very funny. Upstairs, Nick is trying his hardest to style his daughter's hair, but he's not nailing it, so she wears a hat to a classmates party. I thought this was going to come back and the computer was gonna like the arms are going to come out and do her hair. They never brought this back. I thought she was gonna have her hair done perfectly. I don't know why I thought they were going to bring it back with this.
Speaker 2: I did too.
Speaker 3: She actually does end up wearing pig tills later on, so she could do them by herself herself.
Speaker 1: Because or they cut the scene where Pat did it with her? Yeah, yeah, true, yeah. So Ben is invited to drive along to drop his sister off, but he can't leave. He wants to stay and wait around for the contest winner, which is being announced tonight at ten pm. How long a drive is that? Where it's like, where are you taking this girl? Is it a seven hour drive? What's maybe happening?
Speaker 2: Maybe the dad was was he staying there?
Speaker 1: I don't know. That was a little like huh yeah. But meanwhile, in the back of the smart house, Sarah is putting together some finishing touches while Miles sits in a reclining chair, again seeming like they're a married couple, but they're not. Sarah is prepping for a visit from their boss before the official winner announcement. She admits she's going to miss the house and wants everything to go just as planned. Pat informs them a visitor is approaching. Okay, so now we've got the ring doorbell and we are now back at the Cooper house. The kids are getting ready for bed and Dad is wondering if Ben is still logged onto the internet. Because for all you younger listeners out there, there was a time when you had to use your home phone line to get on the internet, so you could you could get calls, or you could be on the internet. You couldn't do both. So anyone had called just got a busy signal and if he picked up the phone to call out, you'd hear ear piercing screeches.
Speaker 2: Oh they were the worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: Ben promises his dad he'll be off at ten oh one, and when his dad asked if anyone called while he was gone, he eventually tells him about Melanie, who called just well last Thursday. The dad is disappointed. Melody is a woman he's being set up with, and Ben says the lady didn't sound like his type and he should blow her off anyway. His dad isn't happy with his boundary crossing and sends Ben off to bed. This is also when I noticed that Ben was wearing a big dog shirt of a muscular bulldog dunking lots of basketball shirts. We are now back at the Smart House. Over eight thousand people have entered the contest and Sarah and Miles's boss is very pleased with this. It hits ten pm, which is kind of a weird time to pick up winner but anyway, and Sarah suggests that Hat pick the winner. The boss is impressed with the idea, and through random shuffling, Pat says and the winner is and then boom, before we hear anything else, we are back in Ben's room. He's fallen asleep right next to his sega Saturn games ey yes while trying to stay awake. And because of this, the phone's ringing. Busy, busy, busy, busy for the smart house people. He didn't log off. Oh, the nineties were the worst when it came to the internet. It's true. In the morning, Ben realizes his goof up and is running late for school with no word from the contest. And then the phone rings, but because they have to hit the road, Ben's dad insists the answering machine look it up, kids picks it up as well.
Speaker 2: Ben's now we're probably not here.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Probably not here answering the phone.
Speaker 1: Okay, but we're now at school. Ben is weirdly being congratulated as he's walking the hallways with his best pal Johnny, until Ben is pushed up against the locker oh by a bully. Look for some finishing science homework. He needs the sign so work done before lunch, and of course, sure that's bad news. But as Ben walks into his class, all of a sudden, the students erupt in applause. It's revealed that Ben won the smart house. People read about it in the newspaper. Everybody's so excited. He immediately calls his dad from a payphone. Look it up, kids, and his dad is obviously skeptical. That'd be my dad. By the way, all right, send me the legal stuff. Why did we win a house? What do they want? That would be my dad. But he checks the newspaper and quickly fact checks it. But instead of really reading the article, he's attracted instantly to the picture of Sarah oooh, which is going to be tough when he finds out she's married to Miles. Oh wait, he's now down to learn all about the smart house because he's a lonely HORNBALLO. Now in front of the smart house, we are there. There is a press conference to hand the house over to Ben, with the honors given to Pat. Sarah is asked questions by reporters, revealing that the occupants don't need any prior computer knowledge, and Pat learns about the family as time passes and she learns more and more about them. Now inside their new house, the Coopers are getting situated, which includes letting Pat have their fingerprints and their DNA through a blood sample twenty three and may Nick brings up some big brother concerns. He's the real buzzkill, but it's also kind of lightly flirting with Sarah. The family gets a house tour, including a family room that can put in any surroundings from an African safari to a tranquil beach setting where you actually feel the mist. Hello the Las Vegas sphere. They are predicting all this stuff in the kitchen. Then Pat offers a balanced diet for the entire family based on their likes and needs just from their breath. Angie orders a strawberry smoothie and it immediately appears, which brings up an awful lot of questions. So is there just a store of food underneath the house that can automatically be cooked or she manifesting the food.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. A lot of this stuff. I mean, if we're getting technical.
Speaker 1: You got you can. Occasionally we're supposed to.
Speaker 2: We gotta do it.
Speaker 3: If we're getting technical, exactly who orders the food? Is this an instacart situation?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it a threated right?
Speaker 3: Is she somehow getting food delivered? Which wasn't really a thing? You know, it's kind of you know, who's who's maintaining the things that have to happen within the house.
Speaker 2: Does it come with a crew?
Speaker 1: Right? Exactly? Do you have somebody to drive it? Because I don't know how.
Speaker 3: When you're on a cruise ship, You're like going, where does all the food come from? Well, there's like one hundred and fifty people down below creating all the things, making all the things happen on the water.
Speaker 2: So is that what the case is? If so?
Speaker 3: Smart house too, Oh, smart House two, let's get under let's figure it out.
Speaker 1: I love that, by the way, if Below Deck has taught me anything, not only there are all those people down there helping with food, but there's also a lot of drama and a lot of sex.
Speaker 2: A lot of it, a lot of it. I cannot believe you were a Below deckie. I love that show.
Speaker 1: I was not at all until our last trip to Europe, and apparently the guy ahead of us on the flight was was watching it, and Sue leaned over and she started watching one episode and we're now in season five.
Speaker 2: That's a Jordan.
Speaker 3: I watched every single episode of Don't Give It a Little season.
Speaker 1: Don't Give It Away?
Speaker 2: Literally, it is a binge worthy show.
Speaker 3: It's all go from the med to the regular to the sailing. It's like it never ends will.
Speaker 1: It is amazing, much like a cruise from what I hear anyway, So yes, it bumped me a bit where that stuff came from, but again, having so much fun, I let it go. So anyway, the next thing that happens is Angie spills the smoothie she just made on the carpet, but have no fear. Pat is here. She's able to absorb the mess and make it completely disappear with special effects that weren't that great compared to what we've seen so far, but it still impresses Nick enough to accept the house and move in, So we're now upstairs. Angie dances along with a pop band, Bewitched, with their music video covering her entire wall. She also informs Ben that their dad likes Sarah. She saw it with her own two eyes. Ben tells her that the dad isn't interested in dating anyone because mom was the one he loved and he already has them, Andie's pushing back. He should be able to have a girlfriend if he wants, But this upsets Bend even more. He wonders if Angie even remembers their mom anymore harsh. He doesn't want their mom a race like she was never there. He's given up on time with his friends and joining the basketball team just to make sure their lives run smoothly. He doesn't want anyone thinking they need a new mom, and this smart house will help with that too very touching scene. Yeah, you got in kind of an inkling of what this kid's going through.
Speaker 3: It kind of came a little harsh, a little aggressive out of nowhere. I would have liked to see, I get what they've mentioned, the girlfriend thing obviously bothering him, but I would have liked to see like a picture of him and his mom or something, and you see him really missing her, or like a flashback a little bit earlier than it wasn't just like a trigger, like a just like oh okay, okay, Well doesn't she even say she's like okay cooled?
Speaker 1: You jets are ye down? And I think it was yeah, and it's like whoa well, Agro.
Speaker 3: So if we had something more than it would have made sense. But this just kind of came out of nowhere. But again I'm still fully in nothing.
Speaker 1: Agree back, Yeah, I feel the same way. This is the Jason Dolly of movies for me.
Speaker 2: It you no wrong exactly, but much.
Speaker 1: To ben chagrin, downstairs, his dad and Sarah are in fact hitting it off. Sarah says she dated a bank robber and a rubber chicken manufacturer, which, for the record, sounds like an awesome job. And eventually he asked for his number. By the way, I meant rubber chicken manufacturer. As a person who deals with anxiety, I'd be the worst bank robber in the history of the world. Just don't even start. So yeah, he the dad asked for Sarah's number, and Sarah said, He says, you know, for for questions about the house or that kind of stuff. Is very very cute. But she says, Pat already has the number stored. Siri Siri, So now we have Siri Sarah. It's Sarah, but Siri Sarah leaves. But you get the idea that it won't be the last time that we see her, And no, apparently now we know she's not dating or I.
Speaker 2: Mean another moment where you're going, God, Dad's gotta get some This is just me and it's been a minute for this guy. Yeah, he plays it so, I mean he might as well have been drooling.
Speaker 1: It was just.
Speaker 2: Dad cool it.
Speaker 1: It's been years. Apparently it's been years. This poor guy. I have your number. Please I need something, Please, please help me out.
Speaker 2: I was kind of like, Sarah, I want to book it.
Speaker 1: No, next to the bank robber and the chicken manufacturer.
Speaker 2: Come on, He's like, what could be better?
Speaker 1: You seem really great. He's a good guy. He's a good guy and he needs to have some fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: The next day, Ben wakes up to a basketball game covering his wall. Nick gets a country farmhouse and a rooster, and Angie gets a huge fireworks from the Hollywood Bowl finale being orchestrated by Mickey Mouse. Now, is this this is the first Mickey Mouse appearance we've seen in any d com?
Speaker 2: Is't that? Yes? I thought the same thing.
Speaker 3: I remember that scene too of when that whatever movie or show that was where he was at the like phil he was acting the Philharmonic Theater. Yeah, or I remember the bowl. I remember seeing like images of that. But yeah, the first time we've seen.
Speaker 1: Well that he was in brink. Don't you remember He's like, oh, hey, this is great. Let's let's go strap on our blades and you know, do some cool stuff. Man, was he not? Did I miss that? How could Nicky have been in brink? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Sobrina? That there was like a commercial or something that they were watching. I can't remember. I don't know. You're just so convincing Will's is.
Speaker 1: That what it is? I can't believe. I'm just seeing like nobody mentioning. Mickey Mouse is one of their high school friends in Britain. Anyway, Pat even picks out Angie's clothes for school, bruised Nick's favorite coffee, and gets the kids ready for their day quicker than ever. This is a total improvement over their lives. She's really starting to help now. At Ben's school, it reveals that Pat even helped with his homework. He suggested readings for an upcoming report and even did the science homework for the bullies chat GPT. So they're inventing everything here they are, and now all of a sudden, Gwen PETRONI the goddess of eighth grade wants to see his house. Everything is coming up, Ben, were you the goddess of eighth grade? Who is the goddess of aight grae?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Come on eighth grade?
Speaker 3: No, I would say the goddess of eighth grade at my school was Morgan Mackie. She actually is who I am on my trip with this last Did you really? We're still really really good friends.
Speaker 2: I love a great superhero name, Morgan Morgan Mackie.
Speaker 3: I know, right, Yeah, she was definitely the goddess of eighth grade.
Speaker 1: You need an alliteration to be considered a goddess because the guys already grade Shannon Chipley, whoa, there you go. I'm telling you very amazing. We're now back at home and Pat is playing catch with the family dog, invisibly bouncing a ball back and forth. Nick is working on one of those Neon Apple desktop computers that reeks of nineteen ninety nine and were awesome, and Pat is making everything so efficient for him that he doesn't think he'll ever have to leave home again. She's making it easy for him to work from home again. Another thing way ahead of the curve. But when Ben and Angie order smoothies. Pat has her first ever malfunction, violently shooting oranges all over the kitchen. Luckily she had ten thousand oranges on right command.
Speaker 2: So so many oranges.
Speaker 1: So many? How many oranges? So many oranges?
Speaker 2: You don't think that it was I feel like it was a little bit of an overreaction to the oranges. Oranges, Like, I mean, couldn't you just catch them or dodge them?
Speaker 1: It was unless they're coming out of superhuman speed.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, it's just orange.
Speaker 1: Have you never been hit in the head with a robotically thrown orange, because it's painful most.
Speaker 2: Weird, We're weirdly not enough.
Speaker 1: I haven't. But now this is a perfect opportunity for Nick because Sarah has to stop by again to see what the issue was, giving us our first ever look at the house's motherboard, and it's a room filled with computers and wires, and Sarah ends up staying for dinner, which is a lobster meal with a VR background of Cape cod. Okay, you're in the smart house. You can have any meal you want in front of any background. What do you have and wear?
Speaker 3: I think I would have this lobster dinner lost really, I love some just some surfing turf.
Speaker 1: Like okay in front of like Cape Con.
Speaker 2: Yes, or some delicious sushi. I would go four.
Speaker 1: Oh nice?
Speaker 3: You know if you could have oh man an in house sushi, Jordan, we would never absolutely never leave.
Speaker 1: That would if you just say sushi all the time?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely nice.
Speaker 1: Mine would just be a McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Would it be McDonald's or would it be the new the new sandwich that we've.
Speaker 1: The chicken, the chicken Big Mac. I had one in London. They're not that good.
Speaker 2: Well London, you had it in London. You gotta try here.
Speaker 1: But that's where it's supposed to be. I mean again, that's where you don't get the thirty eight extra ingredients. It's supposed to be like you have a Big Mac in London. They're wonderful.
Speaker 3: What makes McDonald's will trying to change there so good?
Speaker 1: I'm telling you you're you're right. Probably. Sarah also explains that Pat respects their privacy and does not follow them into the bathroom. Thank god for that. Queueing Nick to call her a genius. Ben's still afraid that his dad's gonna get some says he's her geniuses are very hard to live with, and it starts to get a little tense, and Sarah says she has to get home to her pet Rat Rat Butler, a play on Ret Butler, which again all the kids love a good red Butler joke. Ben anger, do you know who Red Butler is?
Speaker 2: No? I did not get that joke at all, Like the old.
Speaker 1: School actor, Ben angrily excuses himself. Gott be excused, and Angie assures her not to take it personally. But Ben does this with every girl. Their dad starts to like, which of course embarrasses Nick. She just calls him out, which is great, though you kind of want your kid to do that, because then it breaks through all the ice. That night, Nick and Ben have a heart to heart about his duties around the house. I said duties. Nick doesn't want his son doing everything and ditching his own personal life. And although we probably could have guessed it early, this is when we officially find out that their mother has passed away and his wife has passed away. Nick wants his son to have the life of a normal thirteen year old, but Ben assures him he's doing fine and Pat is learning more every day, so they table the conversation for later it's now the middle of the night. Ben watches the alarm go off, and he breaks into Pat's computer room to shut down the safety protocols, and may I could watch old sitcoms about moms a block of programming called mammodes that will supposedly teach Pat how to become a perfect mother. This was one slight bump I had with the movie. Okay, I get they tried to show that he was a computer guy, but I would love to have seen him do one or two more computer things to show that he has the aptitude to go in and break into the thing, whether it's you know, he does something at the computer at the school so the bully gets drenched by water, I mean something like that. One You can see that he knows computers enough to where he's literally breaking into the motherboard of this hugely advanced technology.
Speaker 2: Right the second.
Speaker 3: Time I watched it, I did notice and recognize that he had a computer with him.
Speaker 1: Yes, a lot while he did. They tried to showing up to it.
Speaker 3: They tried to show that, but I think they leaned on us kind of assuming he was really good because the bully was wanting him to do it. It needed to be I I agree it needed to be a little bit more obvious, something that really.
Speaker 1: They attempted it.
Speaker 3: They did, and like I said, there was he had a computer in the kitchen, wherever he was, there was his little laptop somewhere, and.
Speaker 1: He was always online. He was falling asleep at the computer.
Speaker 3: And they got like that's how they got, you know, enrolled in this, this contest and all that kind of stuff. But still I agree it needed to be a little bit more in your face.
Speaker 1: One more yeah, one more thing. It would have helped. But it's again, this movie can do no wrong. So I get it. Yeah, so fine, So we're good. So we're good. We're fine. The next morning, we already see some results as pat patrols Angie's toothbrushing, which is a new thing, tells you to take a jacket to school, and even adopts a new parental tone scolding her not to talk back. And that is we're starting to see. There's also they took every time we come back to her a little bit less of the computery vibe is in her voice. They like, take it one more step towards you. Yes, every time they do this, which was a very clever and interesting way to do that. She also suggests vitamins, but she bakes sugary cupcakes for the kids like she's the mom on Leave It to Beaver, which of course makes sense because she was watching all those shows during the drive to school. Nick says he noticed the tone change which we just talked about, and Ben seems happy about the maternal twist, but he also forgot to have Pat do his bully's homework. Oh. The idea of the bully obviously upsets Nick, who suggests that Ben stands up for himself. Great advice. By the way, we get a quick it is we get a quick jump cut to Ben being back at home. Now he has a black eye. Pat is very concerned and wants to know who this bully is. She's becoming more and more of a protective and dare I say, naggy kind of mom by the minute. We are now back up in his room, Ben, this is exactly what you wanted to see a little bit earlier. Ben is staring at a picture of its deceased mom and watching old movies with tears in his eyes. Pat sees all this and inputs the data. Again very nice. Disney adds these this movie anyway, add these little kind of quiet emotional scenes that connect you to the characters. Really great.
Speaker 2: That was so sad for me.
Speaker 1: It's so sad.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah it's a moment. Oh oh, oh, it was sad.
Speaker 1: But man, does it really connect you to the character. It was very Nick himself is up late working when he asked Pat to call Sarah and it's a video call, just like you were saying. FaceTime invented that too. He asks her out for Saturday night and she accepts. Also, do we notice that Sarah does look an awful lot like his dead wife? Did you see that a lot? They looked a lot. They looked very similar. Yes, I get it. So yeah, Nick says he just wishes Ben could have more fun, which prompts Pat's main computer to search for fun and study videos of MTV's spring Break and the Grind. Of course that's not what they call it, but that's what it is. She accesses Ben's address book and Pat is obviously up to some lady. The kids are playing mini golf in the living room with a big video all of the course, hello golf simulator. Again. They're inventing everything, and Ben is still being super weird about Sarah and his dad. So Pat sets up a night of video games for the kids, and while their dad is out, he's gonna, you know, hey, I'm going out on the state. We're gonna have you playing games. It's gonna be nice and easy. But oh no, no, no no, they want more. They are in the smartest house unsupervised, and so Pat says his wish is granted, and the doorbell rings it's time for a party. She's coordinated with Ben's address book and we find ourselves in possibly the most obvious green screen shot in the history of movies. It's true. Pat turns the living room into a rave with some kick butt video screens quote unquote, and an R and B video where Ben and his two friends know the choreographed dance perfectly. It is a wild scene. Go check it out. Was that? And again I couldn't tell was that a real boy band? It looked like a real boy band.
Speaker 3: I recognized the first girl band. I recognized that and witched and then yes, the boy band, but it was like a UK boy band that I couldn't remember the name.
Speaker 2: There we got game five.
Speaker 3: Yes, this was in the the era of boy band girl bands. There was like a million out. They were coming from Europe at this point.
Speaker 1: Because of its Club seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whole world. They were coming from Europe in sync and.
Speaker 3: Backstreet Boys really killed it, and so you know there there was a whole document.
Speaker 1: Saying that, Yeah, it's a UK boy band named five and they didn't didn't chanel concert specially.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they were doing a lot of those at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're doing that. They're doing the crossover. Okay, so it's a wild scene. They know the dance. But then all the partygoers arrive. But when two girls get rejected at the door, now this is great. They say, Man, this party is harder to get into than Robin Shifts bought mitzvah. Okay, right, So the two names they say, Wendy and Judy. It's Judy Tole. Judy Toll was a writer on Boy Meets World. Okay, Wendy Wendy at the because Wendy Goldstein was also a showrunner. And Robin Schiff is a showrunner who I worked with who actually created the show Lipstick Jungle and has done a whole bunch of with Brookshields and a whole bunch of other things. So these were all obviously friends of producers or friends of somebody else. But when I heard that, I was like, oh, where you kidding. Judy told Robin Schiff like, I've worked with all these people, so that a straight me too. So we had a boy meets World easter egg. By the way, unfortunately Judy Toll, who was a marvelous writer, incredibly funny, she passed away years ago. So you know, God rests Judy Toll. She was hysterical anyway, Robin Schiff, she and Robin were very close friends. Robin was actually the one who told me that Judy had passed away. Great people. So but hey, guess who else was invited to this party? Out of nowhere? The bullies. Pat says she's been very interested in meeting the bully Ryan. She may even develop a quote unquote crush on him. Later, Ben is giving a house toward the eighth grade Goddess Gwen Petroni, of course, and ask Pat for a sweet snack. In turn, she delivers levels and levels of desserts. The party turns into a dance vest and even Ben and Gwen, who have been they have rhyming names, which is already cute for a couple, they're working together, they're dancing together, and then Ryan and the bullies arrive to make fun of Gwen for dancing with a dork. When Green admits she really likes Ben, Ryan starts to get physical. Looks like Ben's finally going to stand up for himself, but right before it escalates, Pat cuts the music and spotlights Ryan to shock him with electricity, scare him with a hologram skull, and kick him out with the newspaper robot arm. I mean shocking the kid is like they're literally attacking the kid. The party laughs at Ryan, but Pat was actually incredibly aggressive and a little disturbing, and she says, next time he bullies Ben, she's making a house call. Yeah, electrocutes him and then throws him out with the robot arm.
Speaker 3: To be honest, though, when it comes, is the time for any bullying situation.
Speaker 2: And I know it will happen. Happens to everyone.
Speaker 3: Your girl is ready to go agro on any child that messes with my children.
Speaker 2: Even today has drop off her best friend.
Speaker 3: I said, she probably didn't hear her ignored Monroe when she said hello, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, excuse me, I'm just kidding that was what was in my head. I didn't I didn't back that way.
Speaker 3: But this was a little bit over the top, I mean the and then we've got the claw out because it's so long. Where does it come from? And where does it end? Yes, it was where can this clock go?
Speaker 1: It was very strange. They kept going, it's but it's hey, the house is on his side, yes, and this movie can do no wrong. So we love, we love, and then we're over. On Nick and Sarah's date, things are going really well. Sarah says she wants something chocolate for dessert and Nick pulls out her She's kiss.
Speaker 2: So sorny and cute for it.
Speaker 1: Love it so their first kiss, which then becomes one of the craziest, most disgusting, weird things in the world because the kiss reminds him of his kids and he wonders what they're doing. What in the holy hell? He starts giggling and he's like, I'm sorry to thinking about my children as you and I were making out, Like what? So she might have done better with the chicken guy. Sarah suggests he call them, but he assumes Pat has it under control, and they returned to their smoochin. Now we're cutting back to the house party and Pat is playing that house is Jumping song again, but this time the house is actually jumping, so she gets a pass. Kids are even doing the soul train line and synchronize arm bashers like they're standing in the ohay doing this as somebody dances in the middle. But it's getting close to ten thirty and they need to clear out the house before their dad gets home, and luckily Pat can clean everything up. In the blink of an eye. She straight up Mary Poppins it. It all gets sucked into the to the floor. I get how you suck in a liquid?
Speaker 3: Lost me there, lost there you're talking, yes, full objects are sinking through the floor.
Speaker 2: I feel like it would.
Speaker 3: Have been better maybe for like a vacuum like things opened up, and it's just like great idea and easily done too.
Speaker 2: You didn't. I don't think you even need special effects for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very strange they did that, but again but this movie. And so they clean up everything in the blink of an eye just as Nick opens the front door. But a girl left her silk jacket behind, so now they are not just the girl, No, it was Gwen. Gwen jacket, and he was holding onto it later just to smell it at night. I can smell Gwen on his jacket. Did you ever throw? Did you ever throw like a big party at your house with you kidding me?
Speaker 3: No way in hell would I have ever done that. But my sister did, and I was really little. I remember my sister was in high school. My parents went on a trip. It was probably the only only time she left me in She's eight years older than me, left me my brothers in their care, in her care, and she had a giant party and it was a party like in the movies, I mean, drinking games, smoking cigarettes. I came outside, I saw the madness. At first, I was fine because they were cool with me, dancing with them and having a good time. It was a little kid at the party, No one minded. And then I saw my sister's friend smoking cigarettes. Lost my mind and ran into the bed, ran under my bed and stayed there the whole night, crying.
Speaker 2: And I was so upset.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, And then I told my friend Missy, and then Missy repeated it in front of my sisters or in front of my mom.
Speaker 2: My sister got busted.
Speaker 1: No ways, Oh man, So in a way, you ratted out your sister.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: Oh the sad thing is when I was that little kid, I would have just asked for a cigarette. Isn't it terrible? But true?
Speaker 2: Awful? Awful, awful?
Speaker 1: And she tells they're very angry Dad that it was Pat's idea, and she does take the blame. She admits her Ai went into Ben's address book and invited everyone to create more fun. He's frustrated with the Pat because she's actually making his life harder. Pat promises she'll become more responsible and knuckle down, starting a computer research to learn more about being firm. The next day, Ben is basketball practice and Pat tells him to pull up his shorts. When he says no, she makes the doorknobs shock him instead of letting him leave. She loves shocking people, so tries it again, shocked again, finally has to pull up his pants. Then later during his work day, Nick asks Pat to call Sarah, but she says he's barely gotten any work done should he really be focusing on making personal calls, So rather than wait for judgy Pat, he tries to make to call himself, but Pat interferes with his house phone and his cell phone, and then Pat won't let Angie watch cartoons, change the channel to educational programming over and over, or let Ben finish a comic book before bed. It's apparent she's making everyone knuckle down, and she's been getting more and more strict. And when Pat then detects a low grade temperature on Angie nicks to keep her home from school missing a Lama farm field trip, which sounds awesome weird, I know, but we used to do that all the time. And that was when you would you fresh islama. Oh they would slaughter right in front of you. And it was just the sandwiches were so good. I'm kidding. I would never eat lama unless it was jerky. Yes, so yes, this computer lady is seriously becoming a real bummer. The next day, on their way to school, Ben and Angie tell their dad that something needs to be done about pat. Nick agrees, so he calls Sarah to check it out. She thinks that maybe the computer has gotten so much conflicting information it's having trouble sorting it all out. Sarah's going to shut down the entire system for a rest and stay over for a home cooked meal to boot and While they're prepping the food, Ben walks down and secretly catches them locking lips. Oh yeah, a little tonsil hockey and we all know how big of a sea blocker this kid has been even worse. While using their hands to cook the old fashioned way, Nick sarcastically asks, who needs anyway? Uh oh, And even though she's supposedly turned off, Pat hears this and furiously overrides the system shut down. Okay, so now it's the end of dinner. Ben has yet another meltdown when he's offered peach cobbler because he doesn't want Sarah's peach cobbler. He wants his mom's peach cobbler. He storms off and his father follows close behind. In Ben's room, Ben is stuck on a promise his dad made four years ago. He would never love anyone the way he loved Mom, and no one would ever take her place. Dad. Is a great scene between the two. Nick explains this is all true and yes he said that and Ben, but Ben isn't the only one who lost someone, which is a great turn. His dad knows that it hurts, especially during puberty, but they can't crawl into a cave and hide they have to live their life. Ben says he knows that Sarah is a wonderful person, but they can't let mom get a raise. They embrace at the end of the scene. They do these emotional scenes really, really well. I also loved the great parenting moment where he says, I know you're going through all this stuff, but don't ever disrespect anybody the way you just did.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 1: It was a great moment when he's.
Speaker 2: Like, you were raised better than that second time. Now, yeah, he's done that, you know.
Speaker 3: And I feel like the we don't get to see a ton of awesome parenting in these decoms.
Speaker 2: No, they are nailing it in this one. I mean, being very empathetic to his feelings.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, you can't be a dick just because you're upset.
Speaker 2: That's not okay.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: That was such a good moment. I grabbed this scene. I was crying. I mean, this movie had been all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that again. This was up there with me with the little moment of him telling his sister like say thank you, like these little little things of the show raised.
Speaker 3: And do remember in our interview he said he would not allow the dad, specifically to be a bad dad. Yep, right, that was a big thing when he was writing, and this was amazing, great job.
Speaker 1: Dude does great decomparents, unlike some of the other ones we have seen. Anyway. Meanwhile, Pat is up to something. It looks like she's creating a human through laser printing, three D printer other things. And after a few seconds we get the real life Pat and it's Katie's sigal thank you the entire time, and here she comes in. Now we get to see it. Pat barges into Ben's room, explaining she's still a computer, but just now she has a visual presentation and she's mad about Sarah entering her domain. She raises her voice. She can't let herself be preempted. Ben makes a bee line for his dad and Sarah with the news, and Pat appears soon thereafter, just in case they ever doubted the kid. Everyone is shocked as Pat Yell's mother knows best and orders Sarah to leave, eventually pushing her out the door with her dot dock newspaper robot arm again. Pat then boards up the doors like with all these metal kind of things cinding down, hides the car keys. This is slowly becoming a horror movie. She says, the world around them seems so scary with wars and stress, why would anyone want to leave their house? She actually has a point there, but this is also goes back to the I think it's Isaac Asimov who originally came up with the Three Laws of robotics, and they extrapolate out that the three Laws of robotics eventually lead to robots taking over because the only way that humans can't hurt each other is if they are completely and totally controlled. So this is goes with the law the three Laws of robotics. It was very interesting how they kept all this up the way that it's is. So that's the nerd in meat. Thank you very much. I enjoyed it very well. Yes, she says they can do everything from the house. She can take care of it all, and when Angie asks about friends Pati Scherzer, there's nothing to fear. Mommy's here. She can even duplicate herself to multiple pats to help everyone at the same time, which is also honestly kind of cool. Outside, Sarah calls Miles, who we barely remember at this point, and he comes by the house with some paper schematics to study, but also probably to say, hey, I thought we were married. She also uses her pet rat to send written SOS messages and a peace offering to Ben inside. Sarah never expected Pat would revolt. She has no plan, but Ben aol aol still on it instant messages her with one note like telling her exactly what he thinks is gonna happen. Texting yep, so invented texting. That morning, Ben fakes a stomach ache just as the paper boy arrives. Sarah, seeing this as a window of opportunity, jumps into the small entrance with the robot that the robot arm comes out of. It is that little kind of opening hatch. She successfully found a way to enter that perfect dive.
Speaker 3: Because great be old Sarah was an Olympic diver before this movie.
Speaker 1: I got love. I love the backstories. She was an Olympic diver until she hurt her her leg and now had to become a robot. Now she's a genius robot person, a roboticist robot. I'm kidding, I don't know what it is. She's into robotics, let's put it that way. With Pat's attention on Ben's possible appendicitis. Sarah breaks into the motherboard with a laser, but that triggers an unexpected alarm. Pat appears, and we get the showdown we deserve, Pat versus Sarah. Sarah tells Pat the family thinks she's out of control, and in response, Pat grows a few feet. Sarah runs to the rest of the family and lights begin to flicker. Pat has started a hurricane inside the house and is singing creepy nursery rhymes. As the storm gets stronger, Ben jumps in to stop her. He points out that his dad and Sarah covered him and his sister during the attack, and Pat can't do that for him. This brings Pat back to regular size. She tries to touch Ben's face and her hand goes right through. He doesn't feel it at all, and Pat is very hurt with this realization. The storm returns, but now it's just raining on Pat. As she cries, she begins to short circuit and tells them she will miss them, very very much, very sad. She disappears and the house goes back to normal. Back at Pat's control board, Sarah works to fix everything, and Ben finally admits that she's perfect for his dad. The next day, Ben is outside shooting hoops. When he misses we hear Pat again. This kid's be a pro by now we hear Pat's familiar voice giving some friendly trajectory advice. He thanks her and uses the technique swish. Sarah pulls up. She's there for breakfast. We learn that at least she's pulling up for breakfast. Who's not there for breakfast? We learned that Pat has been helping the Coopers without interfering, which has been very, very helpful. Nick has made waffles by himself, so he's starting to become more self sufficient, or so he thinks, because he notices chocolate chips in the breakfast pancake and he didn't add any of those. Angie says she didn't neither. Ben looks at Pat's screen to see Katie Segal wink at him, and then we dcom freeze frame and that is our movie, leaving us once again with the houses jumping with the end credits. The house is not actually jumping, but it's still awesome, and there's your movie. Smart house ladies and gentlemen did it, and the crowd goes wild. So good it is the sur Jayson Dolly of movies. It can do no wrong. Let's do some real reviews. I think I have the five star. This week's Brina and it is from Xander El And here's the review. I would compare this book to a movie adaptation of the Bible or The Cat and the Hat live action movie. This is close to perfection, with its only flaw being we were removed from this wonderful experience too soon. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'm here for it. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love it? What do you go for? The one star?
Speaker 3: I got the one star? Also confused a little bit on it. It's by I'm just thinking these are initials.
Speaker 1: S R or sir, but I think it's SR.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, Yeah, because there's no eye. So where do we go with SR?
Speaker 3: Weird Saw because my sister in law said it was scary? Yeah, scary bad Disney, more like deep State.
Speaker 1: Okay, looks like SR has got some other issues going on.
Speaker 3: Sorry about that, SR. We'll check back in. I would recommend brink or Tsunami for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, exactly, No Deep State? And remember when Mickey was coming down that hill? Oh man, I'm going so fast.
Speaker 2: I'm going so fast down that hill.
Speaker 1: So we are now, of course, to the Sabrina's favorite part of our program, which is our feature of the day, and our feature today is called dumb House.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: Thanks to years of watching MTV's Cribs, we all know that celebrities have some ridiculous items on display in their houses. So we're gonna do this. Here we go. So we're gonna be given a celebrity and some multiple choice options, and we have to guess which of the ridiculous items are actually in their house. Three out of five wins. And I can already tell I'm not going to know any of this because I don't even know who this first person is. DJ and music producer Zed is number one? Do you know who Zed is?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay? So does Z? Is zed a man or a woman? Curious? He's a man?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So Z? Does he have a a six foot cat statue in his front yard? Be a personal Skittles dispenser or see the actual Jersey Shore letters. Snookie and Jay Wow wrote to Sammy about Ronnie cheating her. Oh my god, I hope it's see.
Speaker 2: Do you even know what c is?
Speaker 1: Do? You.
Speaker 2: Did you watch the Jersey Shore? What do you mean? Am I kidding you? I'm not kidding you asking if you watch Jersey Shore?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can tell you the name of the club they were at when Ronnie had his head in between her breasts.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, can.
Speaker 1: You do that?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean they were at bed was the name of the club? All right?
Speaker 2: I believe you.
Speaker 1: I believe thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So I hope it's.
Speaker 1: That, but I don't think it is. I'm going to guess it's a personal Skittles dispenser. How am I gonna say?
Speaker 2: I think it might be the six foot cat statue.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's b he has a Skittles dispenser.
Speaker 2: But that's not over the top.
Speaker 1: Wait, but what I.
Speaker 2: Do want to say if someone owned that actual email letter, it would be like true authentic memorabilia, like, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, I would pay serious money for that letter. You have no idea. My favorite is just Sammy coming in going I found this in my draw Oh yeah, yeah, that's the best. Okay, I got one. I got one here though. Number two. Cheryl Crow does she have a traditional death masks of William McKinley and William Howard Taft be the last? Is it a choc otaco? Is that what they're called? Ever made? Or see a pet owl named Luscious s High Tower.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see that.
Speaker 1: You're going to see? Yeah, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go and see as well. No, she has those death masks. She does not as she traditional death masks, A death mask of William McKinley or William Howard Taft.
Speaker 2: What a weird saying? What a weirdo, Cheryl Weird Cheryl judgment, that's great.
Speaker 1: Number three John Stamos, does he have a an authenticated hair from Walt Disney's mustache? Be a grumpy car from the snow White ride at disney World, or see a gallon of water taken from the now defunct Splash Mountain ride at Disneyland. I agree, I'm gonna say it's be Yeah, he has b he has the.
Speaker 2: Grumpy If I was gonna throw.
Speaker 1: Up, that would be awesome. I'll take a Walt Disney hair that'd be cool in a row. I'm I have two so far, so I only need one, but swing it needs both, all right? Number four is rue paul a a a table and chairs from the set of The Brady Bunch b every single beanie baby ever made? Or see a room with twenty six disco balls. See you.
Speaker 2: Might be the Brady Bunch for some reason, and feeling.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna remember a room twenty Oh okay you are, Okay, You're.
Speaker 2: Gonna go definitely disco balls everywhere? Okay, it is everywhere.
Speaker 1: So I have officially already won, but you need one more. Sabrina here you go, Adele. Does Adele have a a discarded piece of Celine Dion's bubble gum? Be a six foot painting of Shrek accepting a Grammy, or see framed menus from every cracker barrel she's ever eaten in.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: B I'm gonna I'm going to agree wom discarded gum from Celine Dion? Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: My? Cause the flavor will go on? Sorry, it wasn't even true.
Speaker 2: What song.
Speaker 1: I can't sing? You had to get to go on? Once you got?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Thank you again, Producer Jensen. I think I won and Sabrina lost.
Speaker 3: Yay ya?
Speaker 1: Can we do a Sabrina sees please?
Speaker 3: Of course? Smart House, Smart House, smart House. First of all, one of the things I did, does it not? I mean, this is kind of something.
Speaker 2: They feel like.
Speaker 3: We've seen a lot with either roller skating now or we had roller skates now, And we've also seen it on a skateboard of a dog being able.
Speaker 2: To pull you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my friends used to do that.
Speaker 3: You've seen it in person. I've never really missed. But I wish I had a dog when I was younger. I don't know why band It wasn't pulling me everywhere. That looks like the most fun.
Speaker 1: Well, every time Bandit tried to escape, you should have just attached rollerblades to yourself and gone along.
Speaker 2: Yes, did you notice what county they were in?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 2: This is the second time.
Speaker 1: But I did not. There you go.
Speaker 3: So at first I thought it was going to be in Utah, but then I realized it was in It was in LA But yeah, Monroe County.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that I kind of got a little irritated with was I could not figure out until we got our paperwork if it was.
Speaker 2: Gwen quinn lynn.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: The kids were not saying it the same act.
Speaker 1: No, not a lot of pronunciation.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was kind of a little insane.
Speaker 3: We brushed on the kiss, but I will say that was probably one of the most awful teething kisses I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: She like went in like this and teeth first.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to ask you, have you had a bad situation on sex. I've only done two kisses. They both were awful and awkward for me. But I know you're the king of kissing on on camera.
Speaker 1: Oh, my worst one was my first one ever. I've talked about this, like teeth, it was exactly what happened Carrie Carry Russell Carry Russell and I bumped teeth and it was totally my fault. And it was my first ever on screen kiss. And I was like, I was, I was. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't.
Speaker 2: So it was the proper technique till I.
Speaker 1: No, you go straight tongue first.
Speaker 3: Just just well, Christy Carlson Romano, she didn't know the proper way to kiss on well.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's always you talk to your partner about it. Are we really gonna kiss? Are we gonna have I've never had anybody say we're not gonna really kiss. I've never done the fake kiss. Every single actor I've worked with is like, let's just kiss. It's just easier, you see, It's just easier. And then it's like a real kiss. You go, you like usually twenty and then you start with a nice pack and then you build like you would a good song. Kiss is like a good souse.
Speaker 2: This was and it happened twice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we had to watch that twice. The last one is really not a Sabrina sees for anyone else but for Sabrina herself as the girl that that tells him that he won the contest. I rewound it probably twelve times. Going is that Nicole turns out text her my friend for high school like a girl, A girl I knew in high school, Nicole Bailey, who I didn't know was into acting or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Turns out she's in smart House as like a little steaking. She's just a really cute girl.
Speaker 3: And I just had to rewind h him going, but wait, this is probably shot in Utah.
Speaker 2: She doesn't live in Utah, She's always lived in Orange County. Nope, she was shot in la therefore, and she had an agent. Didn't know that, so.
Speaker 1: You texted her.
Speaker 2: I texted her and I was like, are you by chance in smart house and she's like I am, and I'm like, we're gonna cover.
Speaker 3: It on the podcast. She goes, well, let me know if you need an interview. Kidding, but yeah, so that's my last. Sabrina sees, I just thought that was cool.
Speaker 2: I've met, you know, someone comes across. Yeah, somebody has no idea was in the industry, ends up being in one of these d coms.
Speaker 3: That's how big the d coms were back then, right, everyone was auditioning for him.
Speaker 2: So very very cool moment for mere.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sabrina. And now we've come to the port. I don't know why we even have to do this this week, but we now come to the part where we have to rate our movie one out of ten and our options this week, and you're gonna pick are one out of ten LaVar Burtons, one out of ten actresses turned tattoo artists, one out of ten newspaper retrieving robot arms, one out of ten houses that are jumping, one out of ten basketball sweaters to wear while playing basketball, one out of ten. Romantic kisses that remind you of your kids or one out of ten bewitched music videos. One out of ten Mickey Mouse cameos or one out of ten Robin Schiff bot Mitz.
Speaker 2: God, these are tough. These are all so good this time.
Speaker 3: I think we got to do the claw one. Okay, newspaper retrieving robot arms.
Speaker 1: You've got newspaper robot arms the claw? So do you want me to go first? Are you going first? I forget how we do this.
Speaker 2: I went first last time.
Speaker 1: But I don't give tens. I'm never gonna give a ten. But this is a nine point five for me. This is a great movie. This is up there with with It's It's gonna rotate between Uh, Color of Friendship, Motocrossed This and Beyond the Mat For me, so far have been just great. So this is a nine point five all the way. It is ultimate dcom. I can see why it's rated number one or close to it on everybody's list. It is a very dcom D com and it also handled the emotional stuff really well. The acting was great, great balance to it. Really liked this movie.
Speaker 3: I'd say it handled the emotional stuff probably the best we've seen.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're no well, Color Color Friendship. They're all good. I gotta pull that back. I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna match your nine point five. I loved this movie. I will watch it again. Jordan wasn't able to watch it either time I was. I was reviewing it, and I think he's.
Speaker 2: Got to watch it. He's got to see it again. It was so good.
Speaker 3: He also said, you guys got to do smart House. It's so good, right, he remembered it. So we've I got to have him rewatch it again with me, and I will gladly do so. Nine point five newspaper retrieving robot arms the claw for me so good.
Speaker 1: I agree, hundred percent. Well we've got We've had some bangers lately. We've had some good movies. We've had a couple of duds here and there, but we've had some you know, I'm thinking Motocross. I'm thinking of the good ones. Yes, yes, yes, yes, but yes, there's yeah. So anyway, a great movie. Really enjoyed it. Our next movie makes for another highly anticipated podcast, and one that is about to experience a big time reboot on the channel. We are watching two thousand and nine cinematic installment of the very successful Disney franchise Wizards of Waverley Place with Wizards of Waverley Place to the movie. This will be twice now where I have not seen the show. I'm just seeing the movie. I did it with Even Stevens. I still haven't seen Even Stevens, but I saw the movie and now I'm doing it with Wizards of Waverley Place.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna see this for the first time as well. I've never seen the show, so I'm.
Speaker 1: There we go. We're stoked about it going in cold. Hopefully we'll know who the characters are and all that good kind of stuff. But we're not locking the door on Smart House just yet because this week we'll be adding a new interview to our Magical rewine feed, which of course is its own thing. You just search Magical rewind wherever you listen to podcasts and subscribe, and you better because we'll be talking to mister Kevin Kilner himself aka mister Nick Cooper, the dad from Smart House who thinks about his kids every time he kisses.
Speaker 2: He was awesome, he was great.
Speaker 1: It was great, and we want to know what it's like acting with a house as your co star, and we're going to find it all out. So here is a small snippet of what you can expect.
Speaker 4: You know, the thing that I find, especially with young actors, is they're just not used to working. The hours are really long time, and so you know, I part of my job, as you know, their parent or somebody i'm acting with them, whatever relationship I have with them, is to keep them engaged and keep them happy and keep them going. I mean, you know, if that takes like stupid dad jokes, or if that needs me making a goofball out of myself, which I'm really good at doing, especially according to my wife, you do that because it just brings energy to the set and you want to make it fresh, and you just you know, look, you know the days are twelve hour minimum and sometimes you're going you're shooting sixteen seventeen hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was such a fun conversation and we were so happy that he was able to come on because to talk about this movie, which was phenomenal. So remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Thank you for joining us, Pat Could you send us off by