Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. Listener mail. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb, and I am Joe McCormick and Rob and I are here with our loyal mail bot Carney to read back some messages you have sent in to the Stuff to Blow your Mind email address over the past few weeks, which, by the way, if you want to get in touch yourself, that is contact at Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. We love messages of all kinds, especially feedback to recent episodes. If you've got something interesting you'd like to add to a topic that we've talked about, if you have corrections, if you just want to let us know anything. You know, how you found out about the show, what you do when you listen, that sort of thing. Right on in contact at Stuff to Blow your Mind dot Com. All right, Rob, let's see do you mind if I kick things off with this message from Cindy offering some some pronunciation guidance in response to our episode on the Urukiara, the Lovable Wobbly Mascots of Japan. Sure let's have it, okay, Cindy says, Hi, Robert and Joe longtime listener, and I've emailed in the past as well. I still love your podcast, including Weird House. I wasn't sure if I should write in because I didn't want to come across as a pronunciation pedant, but I think it would be of interest to you as well. I recently listened back to the two part episode about Urukiara and found it fun and informative. However, I did want to let you know that the word kawwaie is not pronounced kowai as most non Japanese speaking English speakers tend to say it. You know, It's funny because years and years ago at this point, we actually did an episode addressing sort of the overlap and convergence of these two terms. I think it was about the sort of cute scary pop culture phenomenon, especially in Japan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know that sometimes when you do searches in English based on these concepts, you'll end up getting some overlap as well, where you'll realize, oh wait, I thought I was looking up cute and this is clearly stuff that's in the horror creepy context.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but yeah, so this is what Cindy gets into in the email, Cindy says, first of all, the word for cute isk ye, and the word for scary is co ye. For some reason, when English speakers say cow ye, it comes out sounding much closer to co ye, with a rounded a that sounds more like oh. Cute and scary describe very different qualities, so I think it's worth taking the time to pronounce them clearly. I hear a lot of people saying it like a mashup of both words. The word k ye is pronounced with an a sound, and the e is actually a long e sound co y e. Scary is pronounced k wha and then e. As an email, if you listen to a Japanese speaker saying it online, you will hear the difference. Second of all, this word has worked its way into the mainstream in America, so I thought it was important that you knew the difference, especially if you need to use it for future podcasts. Keep up the great work. Thank you for the hours of fun and informative content. I'm impressed with your vast knowledge and the creative and thoughtful ways which you make connections. Ps. I currently have a bag of rice in my cupboard with a big image of kumaman in it, kumaman air. I always liked kumaman because my last name is Kumano, which is bear plus field. Cindy, Well, thank you for the guideance, Cindy. Yeah. I, as we said, this has come up on the show before, sort of the these two words in the context of each other. And I don't know if it's especially because of my Southern American accent, or if this is just going to be a common way of speaking. But when you have the O and the A sound, between the K and the W sound, there is just a natural tendency for them to sound the same. I think that might be especially true for sort of a Tennessee American accent like mine. It's really hard for me to say it any other way. I have to like slow down and break the word apart into different syllables to say it like a Japanese speaker would.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Likewise, Southern American guy gene here. So we try and get it right. But you know, thanks, thanks for the correction.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I can't promise we always will, but you know, we're doing our.
Speaker 2: Best, all right. This next one comes to us from let's see, this is from Jim in New Jersey, and this one has to do with odds and evans. I think this is a response to the whole rule of thirds thing and composition that we were talking about. Yeah, so, Jim says Robert Joe and JJ. Steven Spielberg illustrates how he learned the rules of thirds and The Fablements, which is a semi autobiographical film of his family portrayed via the a fictional family the Fables. The main careara, Young Spielberg meets legendary film director John Ford, who is portrayed as a salty curmudgeon. Ford asks young Spielberg if he knows art. Ford points to a few paintings hanging in his office. He asks the young lad to comment on them. When young Spielberg balks and responding, Ford barks at him to point out the horizon in the first painting it's low. In the second painting it's high. Now. I want to add I've not seen the movie in question here, but I had to look it up on IMDb. And it's worth noting that David Lynch plays John Ford in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an inspired bit of casting, especially how notoriously eccentric John Ford was salty and curmudgeonly by reputation, yes, but also just like a super weird guy. And I should say another thing about the scene is so he has the young Spielberg in his office and john Ford is pointing it like paintings of cowboys, and he says, describe the painting to me, and the young Spielberg at first tries to say what's happening in it. He's like, well, there are three cowboys on horses around it. And he's like no, no, no, no, no, where's the horizon? That's what he's asking him when he does it over and over. Oh. But then after this, the John Ford character played by David Lynch, he caps it by making the lesson explicit.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Jim here includes some quotes from the film, but basically it comes down to Ford telling the young Spielberg that when the horizon's at the bottom, it's interesting. When it's at the top, it's interesting, but when it's in the middle, it is boring.
Speaker 3: It is boring. As explative. Yah, I really liked this scene because you can tell the way this would have been approached in a lot of other movies. And again, I think this is based on a real episode that happened to young Steven Spielberg. So also, like what apparently or allegedly happened in real life, you would expect the young director speaking to a kid who aspires to work in the film industry to have a kind a more kind of general wisdom about the spirit of filmmaking or something like that, you know what I mean. And instead he gives them this incredibly specific practical lesson about framing shots and that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, as if like this is the one rule, get this and the rest will come anyway, Jim says that, Yeah. The next scene is young Spielberg on the back lot and he demonstrates that he has indeed learned the lesson of horizon placement.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, whatever the empirical research says about the universality or non universality of preferences for rule of thirds in art, john Ford is devoted to it. He's there, let's see you ready for me to do this message from Nathan. This is also about our series on odds and evens. Yes, let's do it, Nathan says, Hi, guys, I gotta say, even after twelve or so years of listening, y'all are still pumping out superior programming. I find fascinating. To call it great work is an understatement. Thank you, Nathan. That's very kind, Nathan says. When I heard the odds and evens topic, my mind went to plating immediately. I spent about two decades working in restaurants and learned that the use of even numbers on a dish was considered an amateurish faux pas. This was true regardless of the shape of the plate. I suppose it's the irregular juxtaposition of food against the symmetry of the dish that makes it appealing to the eye. Towards the end of that period, I learned desserts from a chef trained in classical French preparation, who insisted that each serving consisted of three colors, three textures, and three flavors. That's three threes naturally plated and or garnished in odds. He also demanded height and diagonal shapes for whatever that's worth. Oh yeah, you want your desserts to be tall, right, no flat deserts. I don't know how to check the veracity of this claim, but I once heard that traditional play in threes or fives came from Asian cultures. It is true, in part at least, that in both Chinese and Japanese the word for the number four is similar enough to the word for death that the number is considered unlucky and thus avoided. Why that would influence European cuisine seems hard to research. And it's not really about even numbers in this case, just the number four. Any thoughts, just human aesthetics anyway, gents, keep them coming, Rob, any chance you will reveal the origin of the name Argomandanese. I suspect some M S T three K inspiration your loyal listener, Nathan.
Speaker 2: Oh, Well, well, there's a lot of a lot of thoughts in there, I guess, starting with the subject of food and numerals and different cultures. I think the examples of threes and fives in Asian cultures like this is just in general, a good example of something we did talk about, and that is that there are so many factors influencing the way that numbers are p and you'll have things like this occur in a culture where yeah, particular number will have a lucky you know, a lucky or an unlucky connotation, and then it ripples out from there, and then that's going to influence the way those numbers are used, at least in some cases and other times not.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. So for example, we talked in one of those episodes on Odds and Evens about research showing that, you know, maybe people view even numbers as more kind of stable and friendly and good in general, but then also especially like people perceive multiples of four as extremely even, like more even than even. But you know, these studies are mostly among like English speaking Westerners, and you wonder if the same would be true and say a culture where the number four among many people is considered unlucky because of a homophone association with the concept of death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again it's like, we can we can point to examples of within Western culture where you end up with with the situations that seem to contradict each other, like, for instance, thirteen, what unlucky number? Right, And you see all sorts of wacky things that are done to avoid listing thirteen, such as like skipping thirteen in a floor plan for a building in the elevator or I was noticing this the other day. I was with my family to an art opening and it was next to like a firehouse, I believe, and it was like, I guess it was like firehouse thirteen. But they're like, well, we got to put thirteen up there, but we're going to put it on a four leaf clover, so like a four leaf clover design was added, So we'll do things like that. But then we come back to the idea of the baker's dozen being like thirteen donuts or what have you. And of course the reasons for that are related to an entirely separate matter that has to do with like I think, like old baking laws, like old baking European baking laws. But you know, they contradict each other on one hand, like oh, you demand your thirteen doughnuts or biscuits or whatever it is, And on the other hand, there would seem to be an impulse to never give the customer thirteen donuts. What are you trying to do bring death upon their house? So yeah, it's just all over the place, and there are going to be examples like this, I think in any given culture. But then again, who had turned down the thirteenth donut? We talked about about how numbers of how we calculate numbers when it comes to food, Like, is anyone going to say no, please hold the thirteenth donut. I don't want it to be unlucky. You would say, why, certainly, one more donut, the more the mirror.
Speaker 3: Oh but wait, we didn't get to Nathan's ps yet, so Nathan also says, weird house ps. Y'all gotta do. Pumpkinhead. I know, like you mentioned about legend, there's something missing that's hard to pin down, and I admit nostalgia compels me to watch it each Halloween. It was Stan Winston's only feature directing credit, but the creature, the sets, the Witch's hovel alone is worth the viewing. The shantytown, the holler with the cursed pumpkin patch so gorgeous. I watched the film for years before I realized slight spoiler that each time the creature appears, he more closely resembles Lance Henrickson. Fun fact, Pumpkinhead features a pre blossom Miambi Alec, while Pumpkinhead two features a post punky Brewster SOLEI moon Fry parentheses. Don't watch the sequels though, and the dog Gypsy is played by Mushroom, the same pooch who played Barney in Grimlins. All right, wow, Unfortunately I have seen Pumpkinhead two, and I agree that Pumpkinhead is one of those movies that has a lot going for it. It has some wonderful production design, great creature effects, and yeah that you know, the sets are great, the witches, hovel, the graveyard and all that. Something I feel like is kind of lacking at the core of it in the story, but it does have a lot of great horror elements and some wonderful atmosphere. On the other hand, I unfortunately have seen at least one of the sequels. It's been a while. I recall it being not good, not good at all.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think I've ever seen one of these in full. They were just some of them were would be on like I think, kind of like a Turner channel, maybe a USA or something. So it was just part of these films were just part of like the cable background static for me when I was a kid. So at some point I should go back and watch one, if only to appreciate the visual texture of the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many movies they made it to in the end, the.
Speaker 2: Four, I think four movies total.
Speaker 3: They're really going to keep working that concept, but you know, they also did make a video game.
Speaker 2: Really for what systems are?
Speaker 3: I think it was an It was a computer game, I think. Hold on, I pulled up the link here, let me click the link. Yeah, it was a first person shooter computer game that I think was for like ran On DAWs. Basically, it was a computer game. Huh. It looks absolutely atrocious. I've never played it, rob I did include a screenshot in the outline here for you to see. So you're like wandering around in a gray maze with gray walls and gray ceilings, low gray ceilings, gray floors, and then you will see scary things like ooh, here's a skeleton, and here's like a floating face without a body, and and then there's a bunch of meters and stuff. I guess that's your life and magic and stuff.
Speaker 2: It looks horrible, one of the many like Doom clones of the day.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, but we have the question of where where the wizard's name comes from?
Speaker 2: Rob Oh, yeah, Argomanganese. You know, I'm not sure exactly. There may be a little mst in there. There's probably a little bit of Ozomandias in there. There's a little bit of Manganese. But the short version is that it's a wizard name I made up on the fly in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign back in like twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: I think, Ah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, this next one comes to us from Dennis on the subject of star trek and ramming speed. Yes, there is some more great stuff in this bucket.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, I guess we should say this is in response to our episodes on the ore powered galleys of the ancient Mediterranean.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this was basically throughout the question we were like, are there ship rammings and star trek? It seems like there would be, since so much of it is based on nautical warfare, And indeed there are multiple examples, and we keep getting new examples, which I love. So Dennis writes and says, Hello, Rob, Joe and JJ, longtime listener here. I'd again like to thank you for the many hours of enjoyment your podcast has given me over the years. I started listing with Talos the Bronze Automaton when I started working a job with a very long commute. I've been hooked since. In your recent Ores and Wine Dark Seas episodes, you made mention that star Trek must have had some ramming incidents, if not several, and it's basically naval battles in space. You'd also mentioned Warhammer forty thousand and it predilection for rammable vessels. You'll be interested to know that there's almost a crossover between the two. A Star Trek space vessel ramming scene featuring what has to be the most forty k ship ever to grace the Trek franchise, and of course it's a Klingon one. May I present the Klingon Cleave ship from Star Trek Discovery.
Speaker 3: Now, I followed the link to look this up. It's like a Star Trek Memory Alpha link. But like, the pictures don't show a very clear view of the ship. And I think that's because this is supposed to be kind of a stealth ship or one that's in deep cloaking, so it looks almost translucent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I looked at the pictures on Memory Alpha and I didn't get a clear sense of it either. But then I looked up some other images and I think I got what they were going for. Okay, Dennis continues. The ship features in the first episode of the first season, which incidentally, this means I've actually seen this episode, but I've forgotten it was a ramming vessel, as well as the last episode of the second season, where its role is to slowly crush and do other ships while cloaked, giving its target no chance to dodge, unlike other Trek ships, but like a classical Tryrem, it's built to ram a target with a massive, heavy bladed keel that makes short work of opposing ships, crushing them slowly like the Tryrem's prowlwood rather than a high speed ramming. It hasn't been seen since, likely because it's such an odd fit and because Discovery Star Trek Discovery changed its style dramatically in succeeding seasons. But it's just so ridiculous and wondrously metal and very warhammer, standing out from typical Star Trek fair Thanks again and best wishes, Dennis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is interesting how the concept of having this heavy keel and slowly crushing opposing ships it kind of feels out of character for Star Trek battles. It does feel a little bit more like something from a grim dark sci fi world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think this kind of sums up at least that first season of Star Trek Discovery, which I haven't seen all of but and I paid attention to some of the back and forth about it when it came out, and I have watched I think the first two episodes. Because it is just visual overload. They really made an effort to like take Star Trek and not change I think the way they've described it is that they were they made the decision to, look, we're not going to mess with the lore, but we can change the way the lore is visually represented. And so like the Klingons look kind of like space orcs. Like everything they're wearing is just like just designed to the nines. It's like just a very very rich ship, interiors very dark gothic and indeed kind of grim dark. Everything feels at once like Star Trek but also like a new Beast, And I did, you know, I'm not sure I love. I ultimately loved what they were going for, but I appreciated the effort that they we're putting into it. For instance, I remember there was something about I don't know if this was all ships or just like a particular like cling on Sarcophagus ship, but they actually had like tombs on the exterior. The whole of the vessel, so they put a lot of imagination to it. I'm not sure everyone loved it, and I think they kind of backed off from it, certainly in some of the Star Trek shows that came after this, and I guess maybe in later seasons as well.
Speaker 3: Tombs on the outside of the ship.
Speaker 2: That's I like that, Yeah, why not, you know, thinking outside the loure box on that one. I like it.
Speaker 3: Well, this is what we asked for. Thank you, Dennis. Another shorter email on ancient galleys and ramming. This is from Dimitri, who says, Hi, Robin Joe, well listening to the Ancient Oars Part three, I was pleasantly surprised when you mentioned the Athlete Ram as you said. It's located in the Hyphamir Time Museum, and Hypha is my hometown. I visited this museum many times a while ago when the kids were smaller, and I have to say, the ram looks really impressive in real life. Attached is my photo inside the museum of how the ram is displayed, taken back in twenty seventeen. They also have an estimated model of the trirem near the ram, and it contributes to the impression and yes, when you see it you immediately understand that these things are built to smash, not pierce. And then Dimitri attaches the picture. It says, thanks for the great content, Dmitri. And when you do see the ram up close. Yeah, so this is one of those bronze fittings that would go over the wooden part of the boat that extends out the front. And remember that it's not a sharp point because the boat doesn't want to get stuck in the boat it's ramming. Instead, it has three horizontal bronze fins that are sort of boxy and square shaped at the edge. Clearly the idea is to hit the wood of the opposing boat and try to separate the planks to make them start coming apart and taking on water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very cool. I really appreciate the photograph here, not only the artifact, but of this very cool model. I love a great ship model a museum. All right, here's another one. This one comes to us from Ahmed. Ahmed says, Hey guys, Ahmed, here again, I loved your episode on Ores and I couldn't help but think of the Odyssey and how the ore is used as a marker of Mediterranean identity. Toward the end, Odysseus, after his long travels, is told by an oracle to take an ore from his ship and walk inland until somebody mistakes it for a winnowing fan, i e. A tool for blowing away the chaff when separating grain from husks. The oracle says this is the point when Odysseus's journey will be over for good. I thought it was so cool how in this way knowledge of what an ore even is is considered the marker of greekness and of belonging to our favorite wine dark seas. I think the pre industrial process of grains harvesting, threshing, winning, etc. Would make a good topic for episodes. It's given us lots of metaphors in everyday life, and there are lots of cultural historical tie ins given how important these staple crops were, that I feel would be great stuffed to blow your mind material.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think that's a great idea. Thank you, Ahmed, And I did not remember this moment from the Odyssey at all, but yes, the idea is what when you get far enough inland, they will not realize that the ore is for rowing, because it's no longer a culture of the sea. They will just think it is for blowing away the chaff from grain harvested from the fields. I guess going from the sea to the fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I don't remember this detail either, but I love it.
Speaker 3: Okay. I'm going to move on to do a message in response to our Ignobel episodes. So we usually do a couple of episodes each year on studies featured in that year's Ignobel Prizes. These are satirical awards given out by a scientific humor magazine called the Annals of Improbable Research. These awards are given out for research that, in the words of the awarders, is supposed to make you laugh and then make you think. So this first email references one of the studies we talked about in part one of our Ignobel series this year, an older experiment from the nineteen forties in which a group of ag scientists were trying to figure out the impact of fear and stress on the milk yield from dairy cows. And what was funny was that an early version of this experiment involved putting a cat on a cow's back and then exploding an inflated paper bag at the cat and the cow. I think they eventually decided the cat, the cat stacking part was unnecessary. Is that right, Rob?
Speaker 2: That's correct? And you know, after we recorded this, I'm not going to name any names here, but of course the ignobels always generate some discussion on popular news and news comedy programs. But I saw some some jokes about this that didn't acknowledge that this was an experiment from the nineteen forties, you know, And so I think that is important to note here. They're like, this was not last year, This was the nineteen forties, but I think it was nineteen.
Speaker 3: Forty one, so the opposite end of the forties.
Speaker 2: So it's been a while. Yeah, but yeah, you know, the Eggnobell's always always make the headlines and people have fun with them, and you're supposed to have fun with them, so fair enough.
Speaker 3: And I think they did find that the paper bag popping made the cows give less milk, right.
Speaker 2: Right, right, they did. And there were other wrinkles to this experiment as well, but basically they just realized, oh, the cat is not necessary. The exploding paper bag is sufficient.
Speaker 3: Right. So in this context, we heard from our listener, Meg Meg writes in with subject line cows and boobs. As I was listening to your recent ignobell number one, I was struck by the similarities between cows and US human women. Many women experience issues with breastfeeding, the let down, the latching, making it all work right after birth. You are stressed and freaked out as you now have a new human to look after. Maybe you're all stitched up from a c section, and then you have to figure out how to get this little thing to latch onto your breast. What if you don't have milk, What if it doesn't work, What if you can't give the baby that ever important milk. We may not have a cat on our back and a bag exploding, but we are super stressed. The difference in stress and worry and breastfeeding between my first and second kids was night and day. I was less stressed and less worried and calm the second time, and it was much more successful. I wonder if any scientists have turned their gaze from animals to human women and the stress around breastfeeding and birth and that ever pesky let down. Thanks love you, guys, and then Meg gets in touch with the second email a PS. Another thought that occurred to me is that us. Human ladies also get hooked up to pump milk, often for various reasons, and a calm and RESTful, safe place to do that also affects the milk we produce. I recall a time I had to pump in an airport because there were no lactation rooms and there was no plug in the bathroom. I had to plug my breast pump into a cell phone charging station and pump next to people charging their phones. So that was a pretty stressful pumping environment. Again, links between cows pumping and human pumping and stress, and that's the end. Well, thank you, Meg. Fantastic couple of emails, touching on a really interesting and important topic. I'm sure that lots of parents can relate to this. I was talking to my wife Rachel about this before we recorded, and we were talking about how like it might be kind of hard to understand, like to make the comparison there with the influence of stress, just because having a newborn is almost always very stressful, you know. But it's true that even if the near universal baseline is stressed out, you can have gradations beyond that. I guess stressed out versus extremely stressed out and with those day to day variations. I guess a lot of people probably will notice what seems to be a relationship between breastfeeding outcomes and stress. So, Meg, you asked if there was empirical research on this, I checked, and yes, there is one fairly recent paper with a lot of citations that I came across is by Emily Nagel at All published in the journal Clinical Therapeutics in twenty twenty two called Maternal Psychological Distress and Lactation and Breastfeeding Outcomes, a narrative review. This is a review of the existing scientific literature on links between psychological distress, so not just stress, but this would include things like stress, anxiety, and depression, so various forms of psychological distress and people having difficulty achieving their breastfeeding goals. You can go look this paper up if you want. You can read it in depth. The full text is available on PubMed so you can read the whole thing. The results they reviewed, they say, are kind of difficult to combine because different methods and measurements have been used across different experiments. But the short summary of their findings is that yes, absolutely, there is pretty good evidence that maternal psychological distress can impair multiple breastfeeding outcomes, and this might be in part because stress or psychological distress can hold back internal production of a very important hormone called oxytocin, and oxytocin in turn plays an important role in the milk ejection reflex. So they propose that's a very likely candidate for a major explanation why stress would impair breastfeeding outcomes. But they also propose some other physiological mechanisms, and they also talk about how the effect. I think this is probably also relatable to a lot of people. The effect may be bi directional, so stress or other psychological distress gets in the way of lactation and feeding goals, which itself leads to more stress, etc. And so it's kind of a feedback loop. But ultimately the authors here say quote evidence to date suggests that maternal psychological distress may impair lactation and breastfeeding outcomes, but stronger study designs and rigorous assessment methods are needed. A better understanding of the physiological mechanisms leading to impaired lactation may assist in the development of early interventions for mothers experiencing distress. In addition, stress reducing programs and policies should be investigated for their potential to improve breastfeeding outcomes. So obviously that could be a lot of things to just generally improve people's conditions, increase comfort, increase support levels, decrease stressful stimuli while people are trying to take care of a newborn. Meg mentions one great way to help, and that would be if you're designing public places where people are going to have to spend a lot of time, like an airport or whatever, having private quiet spaces that could be used for lactation. That's a big help. That cell phone charging station story is is ish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do appreciate that they have those. I always think of this as kind of like telepods from the fly, Yeah, that folks can use at the airports these days.
Speaker 3: So anyway, thank you so much, Meg, great email, great connection, and great question.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into a little weird house cinema listener mail here. This one comes to us from Joseph in response to our episode on It Conquered the World. Joseph says, you suggested a sequel where the invaders promise an end to logic, offering the ecstasy of pure sensation and emotion. I submit to you, gentlemen, that the film already exists. It is called Hell Raiser.
Speaker 3: Joseph, that's good, that's very good. I don't know if I would have said on my own that that's the goal of the Cinnabyites and Hell Raiser, but I buy it. That's a close enough fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it certainly touches on some of the way that the Cinabytes are described in the original novella The Hell Bound Heart by Clive Barker, which I highly recommend. I think it's I think it stands up. It's been several years since I read it, but I remember thinking of the time that it stood up, so maybe it still stands up today. I don't know if the films ever really explore this so much. You know, they end up being a little bit more overtly evil, chaotic evil even. But yeah, in the in the original text, there is this sense that they just don't know what pleasure and pain are anymore, Like the lines have been blurred so much that they're like, you know, they think they're doing you a solid by removing all of your skin. Why would you spare yourself any of these these extreme sensations. We don't know what's what's a good extreme sensation anymore, or what is a bad extreme sensation. They're all the same to you, and we want to share those experiences with you with no malice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think in some ways that is a parody or caricature of actual states that humans can reach in reality. I mean, maybe not to the extent of the cinnabytes, but you know, there are mindsets people can get into where essentially what is more important than whether an experience is good or bad is just the intensity of the experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of like watching Hell Raiser sequels, like it reaches a point where you're like, am I having a good time or is this hurting? Is there any difference anymore?
Speaker 3: What matters is sort of high activation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was the how was the special effects makeup? Was it good?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Then then I gave it was strong? Then I guess it was a worthwhile experience.
Speaker 3: All right. This next Weird House message is from Brian on our episode on Beyond the Mind's Eye. This is the one that's like all the Jon Hamer music videos with CGI that some of which came from Lawn norm Man. Yeah, Brian says, Hi, Robin Joe. Thanks so much much for covering Beyond the Mind's Eye on Weird House last week. It brought me back to some seminal memories of my early days using the computer. In nineteen ninety three, when I was twelve years old, my family got an IBM for eighty six computer. In no time, I began spending every day on it, learning to master MS DAWs six point two, Windows three point one, and CE Basic. At some point, one of my friends in middle school showed me a pov ray and I was absolutely blown away. I'd seen the oversized and overpriced magazines lining the shelves of my local Barnes and Noble that focused exclusively on the nascent world of computer generated imagery, but I never thought I would be able to experiment with it myself. It seemed to exist exclusively in the world of the Amiga, a computer I'd never even laid eyes on. After my friend explained to me the basics, I spent hours working on my first visualization, and after a very long weekend, I'd done it. I'd created a fl plane with three or four very reflective spheres. Some were solid, some were checkerboard. I was a new God. I remember being so proud of the image that I actually printed it out in full color. Imagine the cost to show to my parents and friends. People weren't quite as blown away as I expected them to be, but I was transfixed. As you mentioned in the episode, the language to discuss the appearance of CGI didn't even exist yet. I remember trying to explain to people what I was about to show them and finding it difficult to put into words. I would describe it as follows quote. You know when you see those images and they're like realer than real. They look real, but they're almost too real, Like it can't be the real thing because it's too perfect. That's what I'm about to show you. Five minutes later, I'd pull up my latest artscape created with an assemblage of cylinders, spheres, and planes. Speaking of planes, I think I have an answer to Joe's question about why the images were often described as trippy or psychedelic.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to refresh from the episode, that was one of the things we were sort of analyzing, Like, there's nothing inherently psychedelic or suggestive of an experience with psychedelic drugs about animation, So why was that such a common way of explaining what things like beyond the mind's eye were. Why did people compare it to drug related experiences. Brian's answer is, in my opinion, it was a result of the limitations of the platform. If one created a room with six orthogonal planes and put a camera in the center of said room with a specula or ambient light, the result was not very impressive. It looked like not very much. The creator had two options. One option was to apply a pattern to the shape. My aforementioned checkerboard sphere was a good example. This would create an interesting, yet otherworldly room whose walls were for some reason patterned like a checkerboard. The other option was to do away with five of the planes and make the base plane extend into virtual infinity. Once this was done, the user had a wide open space in which to insert floating spheres, pyramids, cylinders, and, if you were very good, something resembling a teapot. Slap a camera in the middle of a gold desert populated with floating pattern spheres, and the result is inevitably psychedelic. Thanks for the memories. I don't have any of those old print outs anymore, but I can still remember them quite well. Learning pov ray as a twelve year old was one of the greatest things I ever did on the computer.
Speaker 2: Brian, Oh wow, a lot of great technical details there. I like it.
Speaker 3: I can see what Brian's saying about the limitations of the animation tending toward a representation of infinite planes, which if you represent infinite planes with weird shapes just floating in them, that does tend to suggest a kind of visionary experience.
Speaker 2: You know. All this discussion also brought me back to the old three D Mays screensaver on what was the Windows ninety five, Yeah, which I hadn't thought about it in a while, but I ran across this quote. This is just in the wiki for it, but this is from Jacob Brogan writing for Slade, who said that it compared it to watching one's grandparents playing play Wolfenstein three D. So I think that's it's a pretty great comparison. But it was. I remember it being kind of mesmerizing and feeling like really interesting, like, Wow, where's this Mayze taking us?
Speaker 3: You know, you take that Mayze screensaver, remove all the colors, make the walls, floors and ceiling gray, and then you got the Pumpkinhead game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I remember just loving the Starscape where you know where it's like you're flying through space and this is just the screen saver. You know, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: It was so simple, and that one, it was one of my favorites. I love. Yeah, all those after dark screen savers were pretty cool when I was in elementary school.
Speaker 2: Though nowadays I don't even use a screensaver. It's like, well, the screen just shuts itself off. It just goes for real black. That's it great, That's very exciting. It's kind of where we are the relationship with computers these days. It's like is it off good?
Speaker 3: Well? Mine has been doing that, but now I feel like I got to go back to flying toasters. How do I find a way to download that after we're done recording?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's see we have a few left here in the immediate grab bag. Let's see, we had a couple related to Labyrinth. So I want to read at least one of these. May maybe we can do more than one. But this one comes to us from Mike. Mike says, hey, guys, I just wanted to say hi and let you know how timely your Labyrinth episode was My wife and I were just amazed at how one of our friends had never seen or even heard of this movie and discussed a watch party to view it. Then I see your episode pop up for it kismet, I say, Anywaho, great episode, as always, but I felt I needed to also mention the various scenes where you can find hidden images of Bowie's face embedded in the sets. It is as though Jarif is always watching her. My favorite example is where the camera pans by some boulders, and as it does at one point, they all line up perfectly to make the silhouette of his face for a moment. It is awesome. Example below, and they include a screen grab of this. Thanks as always. PS, I'm keeping hope alive. You may one day cover Johnny Mnumonic in a weird house. It is beyond fantastic, and I promise worth your time to cover smiley face. Thanks Mike.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what part of the movie this was.
Speaker 2: This occurs. I think I think it's possible Sarah and Hoggle move through here, and then there's another scene where Hoggle and Jareff have like a powwoll near it. But I've been interpreted different ways over the years, like is it a sign is it a sign of his power in his megalomania? You know, like he is like the dictator of the Goblin realm here, so you know, his face would be everywhere, and it is a place of confusion and riddle and hidden meaning. So yes, of course it would take this kind of form. But you could also interpret it as sort of signifying his own sort of imprisonment here. You know, like he here, he is trapped in stone, and he is in a sense like trapped here at the top of the Goblin world and desperately wants maybe not escape. I don't not think escape. Escape is possible for him or conceivable for him, but he wants something different, and you know that is kind of like his struggle in Labyrinth.
Speaker 3: Interesting, all right, you want to do one more about Labyrinth? This one from Lauren.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: This is from Lauren, who says, Hi, Joe and Rob. This male is in response to your recent episode on nineteen eighty six is the labyrin I wanted to share some of my experiences and thoughts. I first want to talk about my initial encounters with this film in the early nineties at the end of every school year, without fail, the weird foreign art teacher at my elementary school in Rhode Island would show the film and then have us all make puppets afterwards. That sounds awesome to me. He was an odd but seemingly harmless middle aged man with a dark and dangly, villainous mustache. He used to tweeze his nosehair as during class, propping up a little mirror in front of him on his desk. I tried to search him up on the Internet, but I have no idea how to spell his Eastern European sounding last name. Anyways, even as an elementary schooler, I remember thinking it was odd that the school let him show this film to a bunch of little kids every year, partially on account of the mild horrors woven throughout the fantasy, but primarily on account of the scandalousness of David Bowie's very tight fitting pants. There were many hushed giggles about it. Anyways, the yearly experience formed an interesting multi generational link between all of the kids in town. During college. Once I was camping with my older brother and his friends, I was adjusting the rocks around the campfire and absent mindedly said Ludo friends. One of my brother's friends from high school heard me and perked up in the most enthusiastic and childlike manner of all the shared experiences for people to bond over. A side note, my older brother was not part of this elementary school experience. My final comment is about the riddle of the Four Nights. I always got the sense that Sarah Jennifer Connelly's character was correct in her puzzling out of the paradox, but it didn't matter because she didn't consider the possibility that neither of them actually knew, which door led to certain doom, that they were just creatures of chaos and absurdity, like the majority of the other critters in the labyrinth. Thanks as always for the awesome content, Lauren.
Speaker 2: Well, that's possible. We talked about the underlying thought experience. They're the underlying paradox, and like one of the keys to the solution working is that truth cannot be lies. If truth can be lies, then the whole thing falls apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I guess the other way that could be the case is if like neither of them are actually bound to say true or falser. It's the whole thing's just made up. They're just messing with her.
Speaker 2: I can't accept that. Though I've not too much about this over time, they it has to be legit. But then, of course it ends up apparently not mattering all that much because she gets cocky and she says that the labyrinth is a piece of cake, and then it's down the hole. She goes into the opliat.
Speaker 3: You've got a sunk costs bias on this because you've already put the work in on figuring out the riddle, and like, if you've put that work in, you've got to believe it means something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait, I feel like we need to do this one Immortal Kombat. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Sure, let's do it. Let's flow through it. We go one more and yeah, we've got a bunch of like Halloween weird houses coming up, and I think that's going to probably get a lot of listener feedback. So we need to fit in the Mortal Kombat before we hit all that. All right, This one's from CEB. CEB says, hi, CB here loved your deep analysis of the Mortal Kombat movie. It's corny, has a sense of fun to it and makes you want to run a half marathon after listening to the soundtrack. Anyway, you were confused about Johnny Cage's photo in the movie. The photo is a nod to the hardcore Mortal Kombat gamers out there when the movie came out, Mortal Kombat two had been out for a while. In that game, for Johnny Cage's friendship move, friendships were an alternative to hitting your fatality, where something happy happens, like I think, like Sheng Sung makes a rainbow appear between his poems.
Speaker 3: You give your opponent a teddy bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sort of thing. He signs a photo for his enemy in the movie. By itself, it doesn't make utter sense, but I guess they wanted to throw something fun into the mix. As for bad DVD menus, there are two DVD menus that I remember cursing at. One of them was Memento and the other one was the nineteen eighty five Transformers animated movie. The DVD menu for Memento was designed like the Doctor's Notes. You had to search for the playtab amongst post its and illegible doctor's handwriting and Transformers. The movie had you going back and forth in the menu trying to find the special features.
Speaker 3: Did this come up because we were talking about the menu on the Free Jack DVD that was like a classic nineteen ninety nine style DVD menu that had pages like visit our website and it would just show you a URL.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, they don't make DVDs, and they don't make special editions quite like they did with some of those early DVD special editions, Like I had the one for Big Trouble in Little China, and it just had so many pages of extras. It had like little hidden Easter eggs.
Speaker 3: It was a whole experience essentially games in the DVD menus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I missed that. I mean there's still, as we often just go in Weird House, there's some excellent special editions coming out these days and still coming out, and they're reusing a lot of that older uh, that older content. For instance, there's like a new revamped Blu ray of Chronicles of Ridding coming out that looks really good. But anyway, that's all beside the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel at least like the new ones that are putting a lot of stuff in there. It's it's pretty logically organized and it's easy to get to what you want, instead of these older DVDs where it was like the the navigation functionality on its own was like a game, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Yeah, they've gotten so much better about just the accessibility the presentation, especially with like these little like the little menu that will pop up at the bottom you can bring up while you're watching the film. Yeah, these older DVDs were a lot clunkier, and yeah, sometimes the menus were just clearly not designed with the viewer experience in mind. Anyway, CB continues here speaking of the DVDs and an affinity for Dungeons and Dragons. The Collector's Edition for the Dungeons and Dragons animated show was great. Not only was it loaded with special features, but it came with a mini adventure supplement, four point five edition character sheets for all the characters, and it all came in a nice first edition red box. Before I go, I want you to do a weird house cartoon series, or at least deep dive on the series. The cartoon series is called Liberty's Kids. It's by Diic Productions, which should say a lot, but also adds to the mystery of getting the voice actors the show is set during the Revolutionary War and follows two kids as they help out Ben Franklin with missions and his paper. Now. Ben Franklin's voice is done by Walter Cronkite, Jefferson is voiced by Dustin Hoffman, and one of the generals is supplied by Arnold himself. I want to know WTF anyway, I've written a lot have fun cep what.
Speaker 3: I did not know anything about Liberty's Kids. I did not remember this at all, so I had to look it up. It looks like it ran on PBS from about two thousand and two to two thousand and three. The animation style looks like a combination of Captain Planet and The Magic School Bus if you can picture that. But the voice cast is unbelievable for something I had never heard of. So yeah, it's got cronkeyed is Ben Franklin, Sylvester Stallone as Paul Revere, Ben Stiller as Thomas Jefferson. The wiki says that I know in the email, CB says that Dustin Hoffman was Jefferson, but the wikie says Hoffman is Benedict Arnold, not Jefferson, and Ben Stiller is Jefferson. Billy Crystal as John Adams by the way, obnoxious and unliked, as they say, and At Benning as Abigail Adams, Michael Douglas as Patrick Henry, and then Arnold Schwarzenegger as Baron von Steuben, who was a Prussian officer who was crucial in bringing like training an organization to the what he thought was poorly organized and and untrained Continental Army. Also, it had Whoopy Goldberg as Deborah Sampson, who famously disguised herself as a man so she could fight in the Continental Army. Had Liam Neeson bringing a particular set of skills to the portrayal of John Paul Jones. And it had Michael Yorke as Admiral Howe stacked cast. Can't believe I've never heard of this.
Speaker 2: I'll also throw in that this also features the voice the vocal talents of Jason Connery. So there you go, Sean Connery's son.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, does he play a spy? Did he play Hale?
Speaker 2: I'm pulling it up on IMDb here and I'm not seeing the character name reference, but maybe that is the case. It looks like he was in Let's see five different episodes that.
Speaker 3: Would be a hilarious nod. I would cast him as a spy because Sean Connery's do we say Sean Connery's brother, If we did, that was his son, his son's I'm sorry, Neil Connery. This is Jason, not Operation Kid Brother, Operation Son. Yes, okay, yeah, yeah, this one is new to me. I had never heard of this. I love when you find out about these like I guess more often it's movies that I like. How is it this star studded and I've never heard of it before? But this is somehow even funnier because it's a cartoon kids show about the Revolutionary War. Yeah, okay. One last message this comes. It's also about Weird House. Comes from our listener Milan. Subject line Weird House, free Jack ending. Milan says, Hi, guys, longtime listener, first time emailer. If this has been addressed in listener mail, just take this as a fan who is desperate to have something to message you about. I just had a small note on your coverage of free Jack, specifically the ending. This one is a real guilty pleasure since childhood, and I think the ending made more sense than you gave it. Credit for Mick Jagger's character let's furlong get away with not knowing the identification number, perhaps part out of respect, but mostly because if the transfer did not complete, he would not get paid. Not to mention the black mark and his reputation. Most of the movie is pretty ridiculous, but it makes sense why Mick Jagger doesn't really care who's in that body. Love what you guys do, So thanks again for doing it, Milan. Now, Milan, I wanted to feature this email for a couple of reasons. Number one, I wanted to honor your effort in explaining this ending that apparently went over our heads. But also I thought it was funny because this episode was so long ago, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a number of sensations and moments and lines that stick with one from free Jack, but I do vaguely remember this standoff of the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but anyway, I thought it was it was only fair to let you make your case, So thank you, Milan.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, on that note, we're gonna go ahead and send Carney back into the depths. We're going to close up the mail bag, but we'll be back probably sometime next month, sometime in October. We'll probably be back with another listener mail episode, so keep it coming, and certainly as we start rolling out our Halloween episodes, write in with all of your thoughts, your comments, your observations, and so forth. We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.