Speaker 1: iPhone eleven, iPhone eleven Pro, Apple Watch series, five new iPads, and much more. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro. This is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the stuff I think you should know about happening in the tech world. It's also where I answer the questions that you send me. And this is a special edition of the show because it is all about Apple. So if you're a Samsung or an Android person, you might not be the happiest listening to this show. But you know what, don't tune out just yet, because don't you think it's good to hear the other side? Why not? Megan? Welcome to the show. Producer Megan is here with me. We are in Coopertino or just on the outskirts of Pepatino. Yeah, I think we're technically in Santa Clara, Yes, which is a nice area.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: No Coopertino. But this was Megan's first Apple event and we just got out of the Apple event. Happen happened at Apple Park in Cupertino, and this was the big September event, the iPhone event, whatever you want to call it. But what was your impression of the event, because I've been going to these things for many years now. Yeah, Oh wow, so funny. I guess Siri just activated it said hey Siri. But this was Megan's first Okay, I won't say Hey Siri again.
Speaker 2: I thought that it was so unique in every way. I had no idea what to expect, but I genuinely felt like I was walking around and it was like an alternate universe of just like Apple Love, Like it was on a totally different scale than what I was expecting. And we've gone to I've been to some other events, I mean, nothing like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is and that's how the engineer it. I mean, really, this is the Apple This is the Apple world. Is that when you step into the Apple world, it is an alternate reality. And it's not in a bad way, but it is. It's it's almost like suspension of disbelief. It's what Steve Jobs they called the reality distortion field. It's like you may not think about the rest of the world when you're in an Apple world. And that deals with a lot of stuff, you know, whether it comes to their computers, like I'm using a MacBook Pro and I can't plug in certain things like a bigger USB or a SD card, because you're living in Apple's world. It's what Apple wants you to have. And so that's a good thing and a bad thing because the good side of that is that their products work in a certain way, and they usually work pretty well. The bad side is that they're not very open to other stuff. So yeah, you know, when you think about Android versus iOS, Android is kind of very open. iOS is a little bit more closed, but it has some benefits to that. So anyway, the campus is beautiful. It's like Disneyland. It really is.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah, it's so modern and.
Speaker 1: Just brand new. It's like two years old. Yeah. And the Steve Jobs Theater is this great place that they built to do the events at and I don't know, maybe they use it for other stuff like internal training or whatever, but it's the place. It's this giant circular theater that has this outside and upstairs all enclosed in glass, and you walk downstairs into this great theater, which by the way, has like first class leather seats, power in each seat. And I didn't get to go on Yeah, you didn't get to go inside to that part, but you did get to go in the hands on which you know, here's the thing. People want to go to this event because yes, you can watch it on YouTube, and this was the first year that they live streamed it on YouTube. But it's different being there. Being there, you get to see how Apple does things, and I think how Apple does stuff is indicative of why their products are so successful. Because we've gone to a lot of these other events. I'm not gonna name names, but things are not as buttoned up as they are at an Apple event. It's just the way it is, like Apple does it best and other companies try to emulate it. Sonya. With all that said, we're gonna do the show a little bit differently. I'm going to talk about some of the products that they announced and give you my thoughts on those and whether you need to upgrade or think about upgrade or whatever. And then Megan is going to be looking at my Facebook page where I had people submit the questions that they want answered about these devices. So I have no idea what people wrote on there, so you're gonna surprise me hopefully I have some answers. But let me just start with the main event, which is, let's just start with the iPad or sorry, the iPath let's just start with the iPhone. So the iPhone eleven Pro is the top of the line model. Well, actually, I guess you could argue the iPhone eleven Pro Max because that has a bigger screen. But these two devices are the top of the line phones. They look exactly like the iPhone TENNS and tens Max, except they have a better screen. It's Apple's like highest resolution screen ever, also the highest quality screen. The big feature that you're going to hear the most about is a triple camera. So you have now a standard camera, then you have a zoom camera, which like a telephoto, which we've had before. But the big new lens is the Ultra wide, which is really cool in certain circumstances. I don't think that you need it on a daily basis, but it is kind of a fun thing to have in your pocket to take pictures of geography, of scenery, and just in general. Like it's just a cool, very very cool looking shot. So that's the main thing. Now when it comes to the camera, I don't see a huge improvement over kind of the cameras from before. I think that they're the quality of the pictures is the same. They do say that they made some improvements to low light photography with something they call night Mode, which is automatically triggered when you're in a low light situation. I saw some nightmode pictures. I did not think they were like that impressive. It looked like someone had turned up the brightness a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought too.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll see in real life. If they're not gonna be pixel quality, I can guarantee you that. But then again, nobody has been able to do well. They're not going to be. Oh they're not, definitely not. Let's see what else it's got. This new A thirteen bionic chip, which obviously the chips in these phones are just amazing, they really are, and the A thirteen bionic. My favorite part of the whole presentation was when the Apple Engine You're Gone on stage and he started describing how these new chips only fire inside the part of the chip that needs to power what the phone is trying to do. So if you're making a phone call, the chip isn't running like full power, it's just using like a tiny little portion of its power to like run the phone dialer. But if you're processing like a four K video and ripping through and trying to encode that it's going to be using more power. And for that reason, they have gotten an extra four hours of battery life out of the iPhone eleven Pro and extra five hours of battery life out of the iPhone Pro Max. Now, I've never really had a problem with battery life on my iPhone, but five extra hours is kind of impressive. Four to five that's a lot, let's see. So they have a five point eight inch screen and a six point five inch screen. They also have a new matt finish on the back. These phones are getting a little bit tricky with the lenses because like it's not the best looking phone on the back because the lenses are kind of big and bulky. But whatever, I mean, you have a case on it. It doesn't even matter. And that's about it. So it's nine to ninety nine for the model, and I believe that's for sixty four gigs, which is really sad if that's true.
Speaker 2: Wait, nine ninety nine for the base model. So the eleven the.
Speaker 1: Eleven Pro got it. So I say base model of the eleven Pro got it, So that's nine ninety nine. I think they that that's the price for that one, and then the other one is ten ninety nine for the i iPad iPhone eleven Pro Max with the six point five in screen. And I believe again that that's also for a sixty four gig phone, which is not a lot. You don't you don't want to get a sixty four gigabyte phone, really not at this point, because if you're taking videos, it's gonna it's gonna really get through that sixty four gigs fast. Now, the only reason I'd say you'll be fine is because iCloud has gotten so good at sort of offloading your pictures, so you probably you might be okay for that. So do they say how much?
Speaker 2: Let's see here?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so let's get into the first question. Okay, since you have gone to Facebook dot com, slash rich on tech and I ask people what do they want to know about apples announcement? Didn't just limit it to iPhone? So go ahead, okay.
Speaker 2: So this first question comes from Robert. He says, he asks, is this a good year to upgrade my iPhone ten? Or should I wait till twenty twenty? The facts look really good on the pro version, but I have read that they are recommending folks to wait till next year.
Speaker 1: Who's they? I want to know who is?
Speaker 2: People say that they reckon It's.
Speaker 1: Always like this. They you know, they say coffee's bad for you, they say red wine is good for you. They say walking is good for you. Like, Who's they? I would say it really depends, And I think people are putting it in a tough place with these Apple upgrades because you're paying your phone and a lot of people do by the month, So you're paying off your phone and then this new one comes along, you want to get the new one. So is the ten to the eleven pro going to be a huge improvement? It really depends what you want out of your phone. I think that the improved wide angle lens is a really cool tool to have. I don't think it's a necessity. We've lived without a while angle for so long that do you really need that. The battery life is a non starter. I mean it's cool, but like I don't have I use my phone a lot, and I've never really run into a situation where I'm like, oh my gosh, I am totally out of battery and I have no way to charge this thing anytime soon. Yeah, it doesn't really happen. I mean, you bring an extra battery with you, you can plug in. If you drive your car for twenty you have a very short commute. But you know, I have a decent commute. You know, sometimes you can be in the car for forty minutes and so my phone is going to recharge in that time most of the time. So it really depends. The other thing is the processor from the ten to the eleven pro or the eleven. Yeah, the eleven pro the process is going to be faster, but I think it's not. Again, it depends what you're doing. You're if you're telling me Robert that you're doing four K videos and you're editing on Adobe and you're producing stuff every day for social media, yeah, i'd say to upgrade. But if you're just using your phone to take regular pictures and you're kind of doing you know, Instagram and Facebook and Twitter and email, do you really need to upgrade? Probably not. You could probably wait until the next phone. And don't forget. The next phone's probably gonna have five G it's probably gonna have you know, that fingerprint reader again. Yeah, So it's kind of one of those things where you have to decide are you ready to plunk down this money for a phone that in a year there's gonna be a phone that we do think is going to be a little bit more advanced than this device, right, with some new features including five G. Right, and that's a feature that I think people want to jump on at that time, because in a year, five G networks are going to be much more substantial than they are right now, and then you've got a five G phone to ride on top of it. It's gonna be pretty good, all right, So good question to start off. I'll let you look at some questions while I talk about the next iPhone that they announced, which is the iPhone eleven. And the iPhone eleven is the new iPhone ten R if you remember that phone that's sort of the entry level phone. They're still going to sell the ten R apparently, and I think that got a lower price. My favorite way of taking notes in these Apple events is actually just to take a lot of pictures. So that's really that's really how I do it. Let me look at the full lineup of the Apple the iPhones and tell you how much this is going to be. Because they always do these slides where they show off. Okay, so here's the whole Apple family. The iPhone eight is gonna be four forty nine. iPhone ten are they're still selling, but it's gonna be five ninety nine. iPhone eleven is six ninety nine, then nine ninety nine, then ten ninety nine. Personally, I would not save the one hundred dollars and go with the iPhone ten R over the eleven. Just go with the eleven. Let me tell you why. So. The iPhone eleven has the newest processor, which is the A thirteen Bionic. It is six hundred and ninety nine dollars, and it's pretty much the identical camera setup, except only has two lenses instead of three, but you can still do the same three types of shots. You can still do a zoom in shot, you can still do your standard shot, and you can still do an ultra wide shot, so you really don't miss anything. The biggest difference between the iPhone eleven and the iPhone eleven Pro is the battery life. You only get an extra hour out of the iPhone eleven, which you're gonna be fine with that, and you also get an LCD screen versus an OLED screen, so an LCD screen is just not the best screen quality at this point. It's kind of what we've known forever old is really the best screen quality gives you the best colors, the most vibrant screen, the deepest blacks. But to most people that's not really an issue. It just doesn't matter, especially if you're not looking at your phones next to each other. Unless you're comparing to your friend's phone who has an OLEAD, you're not going to notice the difference. So to me, I think that the iPhone eleven at six ninety nine's are really compelling iPhone yeah for that price. And by the way, last year when this when the similar phone came out, the ten R, it was seven forty nine, so they actually dropped the price by fifty dollars for this device theoretically mm hm. And it's got better technology, so that's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: An iPhone eight you said, was.
Speaker 1: Four four forty nine, which.
Speaker 2: They're pretty close in price.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are gonna be tempted by the iPhone eight at four forty nine, but I will tell tell you the camera, if you're gonna do the iPhone eight for four forty nine, please just go with the ten R at five ninety nine because the camera jump from the eight to the ten R is huge. The eight you have the eight, Yeah, I have the eight. I will tell you I watched Lindsay because she went from the eight to the ten ten R and the camera is night and day. It's really different. Like even from the ten to the ten S is really a big camera proven. So the way I see it is the ten S is like the standard, Like basically that's the camera we have now inside the eleven and the eleven pro the quality of the pictures. I don't think they improve the quality of the pictures just yet. Now. Apple teased that they will be improving the quality of the pictures soon with a software update. They didn't really say when, but they're gonna do more computational photography to make the pictures look better. Wow, so that would be a software update, but who knows when and how much better we don't know. I still don't think they're going to match the pixel that's my that's my bottom line with everything. The iPhone eleven is gonna come in six new colors, including purple, green, yellow, black, white, and red, and again it pretty much has the same features. Let me talk about two features I thought were kind of cool. So these phones are all about the cameras. And one of the things I've noticed is that Instagram is huge, Instagram Stories especially, So what I've noticed I was taking pictures two different ways when I was in the keynote. I would take them vertically and I would switch my phone over and take them horizontally, because horizontal is good for everything, but vertically is good for Instagram. And the other thing I noticed is when I'm taking a picture, sometimes I want to take a little video to put on Instagram Stories, and you can't necessarily do that easily because you had a swap between like video photo video photo. Well, now on the new iPhones, you just hold down you take a picture, snap, snap, Snap, But then you hold down the button, the shutter button, and now it takes a video and if you slide it to the right, it locks into video. So you can just go hands free and kind of move your phone around. And then if you slide it to the left, that's where you get your burst mode. So they haven't gotten rid of B but you no longer hold it down for that. That's a brilliant feature. Yeah, that is really cool because now you can go from taking a picture to a short video clip, which is going to be vertical by the way, because you know you're in that up and down mode most of the time. Or you can do it, you know, horizontally as well. But anyway, that's kind of the nutshell of the iPhone eleven, which I think is a great phone for most people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So this next question comes from Diane. She asks, I'd like to know what the battery life is like on the iPhone eleven and is Apple any closer to a shatter resistant screen?
Speaker 1: Ooh, interesting, they're not doing a shadow resistant screen, but they do say it is the strongest glass they've ever had on an iPhone. But to be honest, we've heard that over and over and over. Yeah, and if you drop it the wrong way, it's still going to shatter. It's just the way. It is. So interesting thing I learned from a company that repairs glass on the iPhone that when you drop your phone and it doesn't shatter, or just using your phone day to day and getting those little scrap on the screen actually weakens the makeup of the glass on your phone. So it's almost like every day that you're using your phone, it's kind of getting a little bit weaker in a way if it's getting jostled around, or if you let's say, you drop it on the ground and you pick it up and you're like, oh my gosh, it didn't break. I dodged a bullet. Well, there might be some tiny little imperfections in that screen now because you dropped it and kind of, you know, broke the cohesiveness of that entire screen. So now the next time you drop it, it may be more apt to shatter.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it takes time.
Speaker 1: So it could take time. You know. The shatterproof screen is a tough thing. I know that there was one phone I tested. It was a Motorola that was shatterproof and we threw this thing around. I should show you the story. It was great. We threw it around. It was a fun story. We actually did it on larch mop Oh really, and I got out of the car, the phone dropped out of my pocket. I threw it around. It was fantastic. It was such a It was look up Moto shatter proof phone Ktla DeMuro and that should bring it up. But it was just such a fun I can't remember what the name of the phone was, but it was definitely a Motorola and it was shatter proof. I mean the thing did not shatter. Now on the flip side. Even though it didn't shatter, it still got scuffed up the whole phone when you've dropped it, so it's like you still had a scuffy phone, but the screen just didn't break.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, but Apple does say that they made some improvements with the I guess the strength of the phone in general. And they also made it matt on the back, so it is a matte device, which I guess maybe doesn't show as many fingerprints or I guess scratches. Oh okay, and what was the other question? The battery life? Yes, I mean so battery life. Let's see what the phones are rated for for battery life. So iPhone eleven battery life rating on that device according to Apple is let's see what it says here.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's so funny. I'm watching, sorry, the Motorilla story that you did. And you're walking in front of a kid's clothing store that I used to work at. Now you're holding like a baby, like a fake baby.
Speaker 1: Might I have funny? Maybe you were in that store at that time that is really I definitely worked there. We asked them if they would give us the baby. I remember a guy coming in and asking if we could take a baby, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what's funny is that baby particular. Like people would come in because they're like, where'd you buy this? Like this is a great, real looking bab Was it really?
Speaker 1: Well? We did it. We did a little joke where I was like holding them. I didn't want to drop the baby because I think that would be pretty bad. But we did some sort of bit with the baby where it was like I was holding the baby and juggling. It was when I was like first a dad, like this a couple of years ago, and so I was like juggling the baby with my phone. I think I dropped the phone. But that's really funny. Okay. Video playback up to seventeen hours, ten hours streamed, and audio playback sixty five hours. It doesn't really say how long it lasts, so anyway, to me, it's really tough to say battery life because for every person it's so different. I mean, but I'll be honest, Like today I was at an Apple event all day. My battery was just fine. Now did I keep it plugged in while I was doing the event, Like, yeah, of course, but it was fine. Now let's talk about Apple Watch Series five. This is the latest apple Watch. And I know, Megan, you have wanted an apple Watch for a while. No, is this enough to make you get an Apple Watch? At this point, I haven't even said what it does. But what you saw, were you excited or was it like, oh, okay, that's the same as what you know?
Speaker 2: Kind of has you could see the time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the main new feature isn't always on display, and that means that you no longer have to raise your wrist to activate the watch, to turn on the screen, to see what time it is, and to see whatever you want to see on it. But my thing about the Apple Watch is that that's never really been an issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it always not that I would know.
Speaker 1: Well, I've tested a bunch of these gadgets that sort of light up when you raise your wrist, and I've always said the Apple Watch is like, so right on every time. Now, there are times when your wrist is a certain way and you kind of have to and you go to move it to look and it doesn't come on. You're like ah, and you really have to make like a motion for it to you know, like a movement is not.
Speaker 2: A dance move I just like definitely like, oh like.
Speaker 1: This like the mockerna. I don't know, but the the reality is that's not a feature that's gonna make you get a phone or get a watch. I do think it's cool, and they're still saying it's got the same eighteen hours of battery life. And again, when it comes to battery life on the Apple Watch, it's something that needs to be charged every night. I know they toew eighteen hours, but you're not going a day without charging this. And in a lot of cases, the more you're using it for fitness, the more it needs to be charged. People come up to me and they'll be like, hey, Rich, you know my Apple Watch last two days. I'm like, are you running for like an hour on the treadmill because it doesn't last after Well maybe on the treadmill it will, but when you're activating that GPS chip inside, that's when that's when the battery gets used up.
Speaker 2: More so, so.
Speaker 1: It really depends, you know. I feel like battery life is so personal that you can't just say like, oh, this has a lot about it. Yes, if something goes two weeks without needing to be charged, that's fine. But it's something like an Apple watch that's eighteen hours. If it's eighteen, nineteen or twelve, it's kind of all the same.
Speaker 2: But if you're sitting there all day playing with it, it's gonna die faster.
Speaker 1: What are you going to be doing on it?
Speaker 2: No, but I'm just saying there's such a range, like you were saying, there's a range of like usage, of course.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's kind of like the main thing with this is that eighteen hours is just fine. They let's see what are some of the new features. So they said, okay, always on display is kind of cool. So it's got two kind of displays. The first is it's just always on in a dimmer fashion, So if your phone is just resting on the table, you look at it without moving anything, you can still see whatever's on your screen. Then if you move it, your screen brightens and kind of some more of it is filled in, like maybe like let's say the screen I saw had outlines for letters, and then when I raised my wrist, the letters filled in with white. So it's like brighter and boulder the other feature is a compass, which I don't even realize. The Apple Watch didn't have a compass in it, and I don't really need a compass for anything. I'm not like a very outdoorsy person, so I wouldn't even know how to use a compass, but you.
Speaker 2: Would obviously need a GPS in your.
Speaker 1: GPS is great because you can It tracks you very accurately to where you are and where you go, so when you're doing physical activity outside like a hike or biking or anything, GPS helps to get those stats much more accurate than non GPS, and having GPS on board is really cool, especially for location and things. The other thing that it does is it can now complete international calls to emergency services on the cellular model even if the plan has not been activated, which is kind of complicated, but the bottom line is that if you have a cellular model, you didn't activate the cellular which why would you buy the cellular if you're not going to pay for the cellular plan. Maybe I don't know, maybe some people do that. But if you're traveling in Japan and there's an emergency, you can still press and hold the side button and it would dial the current emergency or the proper emergency number fear location. That's cool, which is actually great. Yeah, but it's one of those things that you would expect it to do because you have a cellular watch, and I mean, I guess if your plan's not activated, you would not expect it to do that. But I didn't realize that random.
Speaker 2: That's it's very like it's like, okay, am I going to be in like a.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good to happen. I think that's probably arguably the most important time for an emergency service because like, if I'm in Italy, I don't really know what the emergency service number is. Like I guess back in the day, you probably looked it up and kind of said, like, Okay, I'm going to Greece. You dial three to one one in Greece or whatever it is. Yeah, I don't know what is it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've never been to Grease.
Speaker 1: Okay, where have you've been to Mexico? And do you know the emergency No? Okay, well you should wait.
Speaker 2: Can you do it on your iPhone?
Speaker 1: Yes? You can, So the iPhone does it. You just press and hold the side button. It's a it's a future called emergency SOS and hold on sorry not pressing hold the side button. You have to press and hold the side and the volume up and it should bring you to emergency SOS and the and then you can swipe to to dial.
Speaker 2: It's like I swipe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't do that. And then once you do that, your phone actually lockshift to unlock it. Well, you have touch ID, so but on mine, it's face ID. It goes back so old school. Oh maybe you still have to put your number in It kind of like relocks your phone because it thinks like I mean, I hate to I mean it gets like very morbid fast. But like if you press that and like someone's like give me your phone because they're like trying to like kidnap you or something. They thought this, yeah it did. It's like it doesn't work with face ID because they can't be like all right now pull this in front of your face. Like it's like no, you got to type in your number to make it work like you just did. You can't use your fingerprint. I mean, Apple was like, okay, what's going to happen to people like on the verge of getting murdered like with their phone? But it's wild I know, but it's there for a reason.
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: I'm positive?
Speaker 2: Reason?
Speaker 1: Do it? Do the emergency thing and watch you can't unlock your phone with your with your fingerprint anymore, right, so activate it? There you go now now can't now see it says you must.
Speaker 2: Not recognize your fingerprint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to put in your pass code and you can't use facey. See, these are the little things. By the way, I write about these things in my book one hundred and one Handy Tech Tips for the iPhone. But the new book is coming out all for iOS thirteen, and I do talk about the emergency features. That's the only reason I know about this stuff because I literally sit there like most people are going out, like they're going out on a Friday night, you know, they're spending time with their kids.
Speaker 2: They're watching TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're watching Netflix.
Speaker 2: They're hanging out their children for one ye right.
Speaker 1: I sit there, be quiet.
Speaker 2: Yes, I gotta write my book.
Speaker 1: I gotta write my book. And I literally just go through the iPhone and swipe every which way and like look through all the menus and I see, like what these little tips and tricks are all to make this book, which the new one I haven't finalized the title, but it is going to get a slightly newer title. Yeah, but it's still gonna be like a time Well, it's I don't know if it's finalized, but it's basically one hundred and one tips again but just simpler. So again, No, you're still getting one hundred and one tips, but the title is going to be simpler. Before it was one hundred and one handy tech tips for the iPhone. Yeah, kind of a mouthful. This one will be same vein just simpler. Yeah, clean, cleaner like Apple, and the whole book is cleaner like the just everything from I can't wait to get this book.
Speaker 2: Now you're it's just like you make some really great software.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yes, it's going to be a lot better. I can't wait. Apple Watch let's see, it's got the new Watch OS six, which is cool. It's got new features including cycle tracking, the noise app, and activity trends. I don't know what the activity trends is and cycle tracking I can't really speak to. But the noise app is really cool. I tried it out today at the event, and the noise app will alert you if the noise level in the area you're in is kind of like too loud and it's going to damage your hearing. So for you, all these Z concerts you're going to, it's going to be like you're when you get an.
Speaker 2: Apple Watch, you're ruining your ears.
Speaker 1: When you go all in, you're gonna realize.
Speaker 2: Man, Okay, question from me, which Apple Watched? I get the four of the five.
Speaker 1: I think you would be perfectly served with the four, but I feel like the five has some really cool features. What though the always on tracking the four will have that the four will have. Oh okay, yeah, the four. They've been talking about this cycle tracking for they're talking about bicycle right.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, because I'm a big spinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you love spin class. So but yeah, and apparently they're doing some They talked about three new research. This a new app. They're coming out with a research app. So if you have an Apple Watch, it's called Apple Research and you can contribute to these new research studies are doing. One is about hearing, one is about cycle tracking. One is about heart health, so you can opt in and help think about it. When was the last time in the world that they had I don't know how many Apple watches are out there. But let's say ten million people participating in a hearing study where the Apple Watch is pinging what people are hearing on a daily basis walking around the world and seeing how much noise they're subjected to and how that effects are hearing. That's kind of amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, could this be a data issue though, of privacy?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is, and Apple says that they will not access any information that can personally identify you, which, okay, it's true. I mean they're just going to give like an anonymous like whatever your data is, they're just going to send it anonymously to the cloud.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And if you're doing this in research, like you don't really care. You know, you're saying like, I'd rather do something for the greater good, and I feel like I think that's cool. I think it's really cool. So you don't need the built in compass. I mean, are you a big compass.
Speaker 2: Person gonna need that compass?
Speaker 1: You use that a lot on your iPhone.
Speaker 2: I already need it right now, like I have.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 2: Four Like, well, but you also what you're not a big fan of, like knowing where things are naturally you put you will put like the nearest Starbucks into war map.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? You're the one that you've said so many times that you don't even use Like you don't you need Google Maps to show you where to go everywhere?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know how I can't get around LA without Google Maps.
Speaker 1: I've offloaded my brain to the cloud, okay, and I free up my brain for more pressing matters. I don't need to navigate Los Angeles. I let Google do that for okay. So to me, that's kind of like I'm storing a lot of my information in the cloud at this point, which is aka Google or anything else that can help me along. But yes, so that's what I do. So I don't know. I was actually at my friend's pool the other day and the sun was in the sky and I was like, Oh, which way is the sun going to go? And he's like, the same way it's gone.
Speaker 2: Are you Well?
Speaker 1: I wanted to know like if it was going to get more in the pool or less in the pool, you know, more of the sun rays and so you know, like which way is it going to track the sky? And my friend's like, it's going to go the same way it's gone for a million years east to west, And I was like, oh, okay, So anyway, Wow.
Speaker 2: For someone who can occasionally be kind of paranoid, I'm surprised you don't want to know where like things are just.
Speaker 1: In case I'd like to know where the closest emergency exit is. Yeah, let's see. What else are they gonna do with the iPhone or the Apple Watch. They are going to have two new finishes, titanium and then also ceramic, and then I think aluminum is a standard. So again, all these go get more expensive as they go along. But I think for the for the average person, I probably just need an Apple Watch four at this point. Now, the Apple Watch three I believe they're making cheaper. I would not do that one because that one does not have the feature of fall detection, and so don't go with that one. Let me see do they list all the Apple Watches again. I'm looking at my notes here to see kind of like what Apple Watch they put in there? Now? Okay, I can't find out, but anyway, I would say with the when it comes to the Apple Watch, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Four or five.
Speaker 1: I'd go with the four or five. Okay, So that's that's kind of my take on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I have a quick question from Brian. She says, when will iOS thirteen point one point one be available? Point one point one thirteen point one?
Speaker 1: Right, Well, she's saying she's I think thirteen. Well, I think she's making a joke. She doesn't want to get iOS thirteen. She wants the update to iOS thirteen because she's skipping the first Like it's like when you make pancakes, you ever hear the one the first one you give to the dog?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you always throw the first pancake away, because have you ever made pancakes?
Speaker 2: My mom always gives me the first pancake?
Speaker 1: No does she? We need to talk to mom mcmonaga.
Speaker 2: This is so sad. Why does your mom keep.
Speaker 1: Every show.
Speaker 2: Mommy?
Speaker 1: Is she? Yeah? She always serves you. I knew it, and not your siblings. They always get that. Your brother gets you know.
Speaker 2: She's going to get mad at me just for saying this on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh no, not true.
Speaker 2: She makes amazing pancakes.
Speaker 1: Anyways, So my grandma always said you put the you give the first pancake to the dog. Because I love to make pancakes and the first one never comes out right because the pan is not properly whatever. So that's what she's saying about iOS thirteen, is that iOS thirteen like you give to the dogs, like you let you know. I'm not going to deal with that because I'm gonna wait till thirteen point one comes out and all the little bugs are squashed and it's more finalized. So when will that happen? They did't even tell us when iOS thirteen is coming out. I'm assuming it has to be when the iPhone comes out, the new iPhone, which is September twentieth, So they didn't really say, let's see do they say when I.
Speaker 2: Was September nineteenth? Thursday? September nineteenth, so next week?
Speaker 1: Oh he said that for iOS thirteen.
Speaker 2: Wait, how the hecked? Why is according to tech radar?
Speaker 1: Who is tech radar? Is is that a new Okay? They all say September nineteenth. Okay, somehow I missed that. Okay, Oh Apple pr told them, okay, cool, So oh wow, So that's I need to get my book done by the nineteenth so I can have it ready to go.
Speaker 2: Can you do it? It's pretty much fast, she can.
Speaker 1: I needed like a week though, after the softworks. I want to make sure everything that I wrote from the beta is still applicable in the final because things could change. All right, let's see what else is that it?
Speaker 2: That's the only her only question another question.
Speaker 1: Now let me talk because we have a lot of stuff talk about, and I think we're uh okay, yeah, okay. So iPad new iPad, seventh generation iPad, and this is the I call this the entry level iPad or kind of like the standard iPad. Price is the same three hundred and twenty nine dollars. They made a bigger screen, so it's now ten point two inches I believe before it was like nine point seven So bigger screen, not by much, but still a little bit better. And it has Apple support Apple pencil support, which it had before, but now it has the smart keyboard support. And this is the first time that the smart keyboard snaps onto the entry level iPad, which is kind of cool. But again you're talking three twenty nine. Then you've got Apple pencil, which is ano one hundred dollars. Now you're up to four twenty nine. And then you've got the keyboard, which is I think like one thirty to one fifty, so you're up to three four twenty nine hundred dollars. Okay, but when you think about it, this can probably replace a computer for a lot of people. A lot of people don't need a standard computer, and iPad in a lot of ways is kind of cooler because you go from like typing on email to like watching Netflix. You just pop off the screen, sit there and watch, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it weighs nothing, and.
Speaker 1: It weighs nothing, and it's portable. The battery last forever. It's a great if I was not creating content for like social media and logging stuff for TV iPad all the way. I just love the idea of having this one device that does everything. Now the keyboard, I was typing on it today. It's definitely a little tricky. Okay, It's probably like anything else. You get used to it. Like I was just on it fresh and like, yeah, I was making a lot of mistakes. But it doesn't have the most travel, which means the keys are almost flat, and so when you're pressing them, it's not as much. You don't feel like an old keyboard you would like feel it like this does not do that as much.
Speaker 2: And I know you like that, like, you don't really like this keyboard on the MacBook Pro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually, I feel like it's better than my This is a I'm on a borrowed MacBook from my work right now. It's a fifteen inch mine is a thirteen inch, and so the keyboard, I feel like it is definitely bigger on here. It's got it. Maybe it's not, but it feels bigger. It also feels a little bit better, but I'm not sure, okay, and I'm okay with it. It's not as good as but you missed the old key The old keyboard was so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what that's rich.
Speaker 1: That's like, you know, like this is me showing my age saying bt rich that I like the old keyboard because it's like the new kids don't even know about the old keyboard. Like I remember the old days when it was like.
Speaker 2: I still have my like eMac with the big chunky key like keyboard, you know, like the keyboard or was.
Speaker 1: This was this a laptop?
Speaker 2: Do you know? Do you know what an eMac is? Am I about to school?
Speaker 1: You you mean the iMac like the one that was like a cube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was like it was like al.
Speaker 1: eMac or I'm AC. I thought it was maybe it was AMAC. Oh my god, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I have that was my first computer, really old, and I watched Princess Diaries on it.
Speaker 1: That's crazy that I don't even remember that, I know, but to be honest, that was before I was a Mac person. So my first MacBook was a I'll never forget. I went into a place called the Good Guys. I don't remember that. This was in La. This was an electronics place in LA and it's called the Good Guys.
Speaker 2: I believe I only shop at the Bad Guy.
Speaker 1: That's bye, I just kidding, the Good Guys. Uh electronics store. Yeah, it was electronics store and they That was the first I never forgot. I went in to buy a computer and I somehow just fell in love with this Mac. And I bought a PowerBook G four I think it was called, and it was a silver G four.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember this, Oh yeah, this was it. Oh I love this last so funny. I think of like the people I like, my aunt had one of these laptops and I still remember like looking at it and I thought it was so cool. And then there was like the colorful laptop back in like early two thousands.
Speaker 1: It's been a lot.
Speaker 2: I really wanted that when I was five five, I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Now my kids are asking me for a computer too, all right, so iPad, let's see what else. It's got an A ten fusion chip, so it's got a chip that's a couple of years old. But the iPad is just fine. I mean, the iPad again, is the gold standard of tablets. If you're buying a tablet and you're thinking you're going to spend one hundred and fifty dollars on an Amazon Fire tablet, I hope the only thing you're doing on that tablet is watching Netflix or Amazon Prime, because everything else is not going to be as good. It's a very and I'm not like, I don't want to make you feel sad if you have one of those. It's just it's a very basic tablet for surfing, you know, web surfing, whatever. But if you want to get anything done on your tablet, iPad has the best apps. And I say, I'm like a broken record with this, but it's just because I believe so much that, like it's a little bit more, but you're getting so much more with the ecosystem, you're getting cases, you're getting accessories, you're getting the best apps, and it's just something that you can't find on these on these lower grade Android tablets. So again, iPad three twenty nine, I think is a fantastic deal and a great tablet at that. So take that.
Speaker 2: Take that. Okay. So Lisa asks, can you compare this Samsung Note ten plus to the iPhone pro version?
Speaker 1: Oh I knew this was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. By the way, I didn't give him any of these questions beforehand.
Speaker 1: So he's okay, So the I think, Okay, So I'll be totally honest here. I think when it comes to the excitement for a device, I will say that I'm more excited about the Note ten personally.
Speaker 2: What yeah, really, But okay.
Speaker 1: It ends at the hardware. I think that some of the hardware on the Note is like sexier. It's got this bigger screen, it's got the stylists, it's got you know this like fast like you know WiFi. I mean, nobody cares about that, but it's got it just feels like it's like a more futuristic device than the iPhone eleven Pro, which feels like the same iPhone we've had, but with slightly upgraded insides. It's the same exact thing. It looks the same. So with that said, I think that it really comes down to the ecosystem and what you're getting with the iPhone Pro is I Message, which I know I hate to say that it all comes down to like I Message, but it is a factor. My message is a pretty amazing communication tool. Sad that it's relegated just to iPhone. You're getting three lenses, which I think are really cool and very creative, but you also get that on the note, I think you are getting a better processor and a better like, speedier, snappier phone that's going to last longer. Like the value of the iPhone eleven Pro Max is going to stay higher for a longer period of time than the No ten, which is going to be you know, it's a thousand bucks, but it gets discounted fast, and in a year when you go to sell that, it's not gonna be worth as much as the iPhone eleven Pro. The iPhone eleven Pro also max works with all kinds of other stuff as well. Like in the Apple ecosystem, you walk into any store in the world and you're able to buy a case, you can get it repaired in an Apple store, you can get support, all these little things that like not you know, you don't necessarily get with the note that said. I mean, it really comes down to a personal preference. Are you Android or are you iOS? And they both come with different things.
Speaker 2: Very deep question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is tough, and I think that you're gonna be happy with either one. It depends what you want to do with your phone as well, Like if you're truly into content creation, I think that the iPhone eleven Pro Max is probably a better choice. If you are just using your phone on a business purpose, like if you want to do spreadsheets style of stuff, I think that the Note ten might be a better deal or a better fit for you. But it comes down to you if you're trying to switch. Did she say which phone she's coming from by any chance?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Just yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 2: A lot of people were asking about the comparison too. It's oh, this wasn't the only question. It's definitely on people's minds.
Speaker 1: And I think that it doesn't come down to which is a better phone. I think it comes down to which phone is a better fit for what you want out of a phone. If your whole family is on an iPhone and you all want to be an I Message and you want to use FaceTime, and you want to have an Apple TV, you want to have an iPad, and you want to have all the apps that share family sharing, go with the iPhone if you don't really care, I mean, and you're fine with the Android and you like kind of like something that's a little bit different and something that's a little bit you know, kind of out of the ordinary. I think the Note is a really cool phone. It is also really big. Just so you know, I feel like in hand, the iPhone ten Max or iPhone eleven Pro Max is easier to handle than the Note. And I'm really mad because I brought the Note ten today to take a picture that did not.
Speaker 2: Take oh comparing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to take a picture of the Note ten next to the iPhone eleven and I forgot to take that picture. Shoot. All right, let's just get through two quick things before the show is over. Apple TV Plus this is the new subscription service from Apple. It will be four dollars and ninety nine cents a month. It will launch on November first. You'll get a seven day free trial, but anyone who purchases an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod Touch, or Mac will get one year of Apple TV Plus for free. That's a super long runway Theoretically, Let's say Apple sells one hundred and fifty million iPhones in the next year, and let's say that they do this promotion for a year. I don't know how long it's going to go on for. That's one hundred and fifty million subscribers to Apple TV Plus for a year, subscribers and quotes because they're not paying anything theoretically, but it gets their shows in front of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that Apple is going to do a lot of promoting to get people to kind of sample Apple TV Plus, which may include giving you the pilots to these shows for free to let you watch them before you subscribe. Like we'll see some Because Apple TV Plus is pre loaded on all Apple product they can do some unique things that Netflix can't. Netflix you have to download it, you got to sign up, you have to get a free trial. This it's kind of like in your face on your phone, on your computer, yeah, on your.
Speaker 2: Tablet, staring at you right in the Eye right, So.
Speaker 1: That's Apple TV Plus. And then there's this other thing called Apple TV Arcade. All right, sorry, Apple Arcade. And this will launch on September nineteenth with iOS thirteen, and that's five dollars a month with a free one month trial. And this is a bunch of games. The one that we saw and the one that I played was a new version of Frogger, which was kind of cool. You remind me of Cross the Road. But there's gonna be all kinds of games that launch, and you pay one price and the whole family can get as many games as they want for five dollars. I will tell you, as a parent, I will probably do this because all my kids want to do is download games. If I know that for five dollars a month, I can let them play in this walled garden of whatever game they want to play and get. Hopefully there's some parental controls there. I love it, and hopefully the games are worth five dollars a month. That's sixty dollars a year, which if your kids are buying games on the iPhone, maybe they're not spending sixty dollars a year. I don't really let them spend that much but I guess so for Parker's birthday we give them like a fifty dollars iTunes gift card. So that's like, you know that birthdays only happen.
Speaker 2: The games looked really interesting different. I mean, I'm not a.
Speaker 1: Big game we say, I don't know where's that coming from.
Speaker 2: They looked cool.
Speaker 1: All play them, but all Apple Arcade games can be played offline, and a single subscription works for up to six family members. Some of the games debuting will be Ballistic Baseball, Chew Chew Rocket from Sega, Lego Brawls, pac Man Party, Royal, ray Man, Mini Steven, Universe, Unleashed a Light and Where Cards Fall from Snowman. So, I don't know. I think that's kind of a no brainer as long as the games are kind of good for kids, So that's going to do it. Yeah, it's or any more pressing questions that we need to address.
Speaker 2: There's just one question about from ca In about why Apple stayed with the Lightning and they didn't move to us.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. Actually, I'm actually kind of bummed at that. I think there's a reason why they're doing. I think Apple's next big new iPhone is coming with the next one, when twenty twenty, when they've got the touch ID back in the screen, when they've got USBC on the bottom, and five G those are going to be the three big new improvements and a better camera obviously on the next iPhone.
Speaker 2: So if you want that, you probably should wait.
Speaker 1: Should wait. But here's the question I got before. Someone said, but Rich, you know, I'm kind of ready for an upgrade now, and that means I have to wait a whole nother year. I mean a year is a long time if you're on like an iPhone six S and you're kind of like at the end of the line with your phone. Now, don't forget. iOS thirteen is only going to work on iPhone six S and above. So if you're rocking an iPhone six right now, you might want to think about if you're kind of getting old with that phone upgrading because the iOS thirteen software update is not going to work on anything earlier than iOS six or iPhone success. So Lightning would have been a nice thing to ditch at this point in favor of USBC, because that's kind of what they've gone to with almost everything. It's like a standard. But we know Apple is not necessarily caring about all the standards of everyone else. All right, So Megan, what'd you think of your first Apple event? Were you happy with it? What do you think about all like the little touches like that, you know, they give you lunch, they have like pour over coffee in the morning. They're also very like.
Speaker 2: They do that at other That's true. I was just more captivated by just like the overall aesthetic of like just you know, the beautiful trees and the music and it just yeah, it felt like Apple Disneyland. You know. It reminded me a little bit. I mean it's different. But Google's when we went to CS and Google had the ride, yeah, and it you kind of felt like, oh, this is Google's world, Like I feel like this was Apple, this is Apple's world, and like it's just I don't know, it's just it was really cool overall.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to think about it. It's like these companies are creating like their own worlds. Yeah, Like even Samsung like they have a look and feel like at their events. Google has a look and feel it's like very clean, very bright, very modern, very happy, like yeah, optimistic, I think, and Apple is very much like minimalistic but controlled and clean Samsung bathroom. Sorry, no they had more bathrooms, but yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Were somewhere else. They were well I'm thinking of like a different bathroom situation.
Speaker 1: Is always tricky these events, but overall, but overall it's great. And as Samsung for their aesthetic, it's very much like I would say, doing things differently and really like kind of pushing the envelope, you know, like we know that they're different and they're really like trying to make things better and newer. But thanks for listening to the show. Do appreciate it. If you like the show and this is the first time you're listening, be sure to subscribe in your favorite podcast app. So just search Rich on Tech and hit that subscribe button. If you're a regular listener and you have not reviewed the show or rated it, please do that. That would be great. You can do that on Apple Podcasts and really what that is It just helps people know when they're looking at the show that by the way, we're cracking the top two hundred. Now I don't want to you know, totally rough, but yeah, so we're now that we're cracking the top two hundred, people are gonna be seeing us in that list. If they scroll all the way down, like twenty five times, they'll finally see us at the bottom and they'll be like, what is this show? Yeah, and they'll tap it and they'll see the reviews and they'll be like, oh, people seem to like it. Let me listen. So we do appreciate that. Producer Megan, how can people find you?
Speaker 2: I'm on Twitter at producer Megan with an h egh.
Speaker 1: And you know where I am. I am on Rich on Tech, on Instagram, and I should mention my Twitter because, by the way, my video on Twitter up to two point one million views from the Apple event.
Speaker 2: That's insane. And Katie Couric yes retweeted.
Speaker 1: It is It is like literally legit, like the hands on I did, like the quick one minute hands on I did with the iPhone eleven Pro is like legit. The top iPhone eleven Pro video on Twitter probably of the entire event, because I couldn't find one that did more than two point one million views, Like it's featured on like Twitter's like homepage kind of like for the Apple event, which is crazy. So anyway, so that's kind of cool, So check it out. I am at rich DeMuro there, Thanks so much for listening, we do appreciate it. Have a fantastic day and we will talk to you real soon. Bye bye.