Speaker 1: On January sixth, nineteen ninety, a twenty one year old woman who will refer to as BT, was working at a convenience store in Covington, Georgia, when around four am she was abducted, forced into a truck, and repeatedly sexually assaulted until she finally escaped ninety minutes later. At the time of the assault, her ex boyfriend, Ron Jacobson, was one hundred and fifty miles away in Chattanooga, Tennessee, with his pregnant fiance and her mother. Over the course of several detailed statements, BT maintained that she did not know her attacker and that at one point during the abduction she thought of fleeing to the home of her friend Ron Jacobson when they were close by. Despite these statements and the lack of any physical or forensic evidence inculpating Ron, police ultimately persuaded Bet that she had just repressed the memory of her friend Ron being her actual attacker. At trial, Ron's defense failed to bring up the inconsistencies between BT's many earlier statements to Lease and the story of Ron being the perpetrator, and with DNA testing only in its infancy, Ron was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. In two thousand and three, Georgia enacted a law that allowed for post conviction DNA testing, but the Rape Shield Law, the law that is meant to protect rape survivors from irrelevant character assassinations, was first used to bar the DNA testing in this case, and then the introduction of the results when they clearly excluded Ron as BT's attacker. Finally, twenty twenty one, the newly elected district Attorney took one look at Ron's case and dismissed all charges. This is wrongful conviction. Welcome back to wrongful conviction. I'm your host, Jason Flahm, and today's story is terrifying for a number of reasons. First because of all the things that should have pointed investigators away from Ron Jacobson, not Adam, but even more so because, once DNA testing was available to exonerate him, the DA fought tooth and nail both to block that testing and then to maintain a conviction that they knew was unjust. So, first of all, Ron, I'm sorry you're here because of the circumstances that brought you here, but I'm happy and honored to have you on the show, Thank You, Thank You, and with Ron, it's one of my favorite human beings. Ron's incredible attorney and champion who is a driving force not just in the Innocence Project, but also in the movement for justice across the board. And of course I'm talking about a voice you'll recognize, Vanessa Popkins of Vanessa Welcome back the Wrawful Conviction.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic to be here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So before all this happened, Ron, you were engaged, a Navy veteran and a father to be, living and working between Georgia and Tennessee. Can you tell us a little bit about your life before this terrible series of events took place.
Speaker 3: I was working as an autum mechanic and I was doing real good, making good money. My girlfriend was pregnant with our son and we were planning on getting married. I rent a nice house in Georgia, you know, very middle class, comfortable life. My life was really really come together at that point when this happened. You know, everything I worked for was gone.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So you were renting a place in Georgia, but you were kind of spending part of your time in Chattanooga, Tennessee with your pregnant fiance. So things are sailing along smoothly for now. Have you had any previous run ins with the law?
Speaker 3: Yes, that was one of the reasons I was in Georgia. I had an auto theft charge back in the eighties, and I was on parole and I was doing good and you know, no violations, and I wanted to put everything behind me and change get all with my life.
Speaker 1: And before we get to the crime, a very important fact in this case is that you and the victim, this woman who we're referring to as BT, you two had dated at some point prior to the incident, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I met her one time. Then about a couple months later, a mother was dating my roommate and a mother mentioned BT. She's working down here at a golden pantry off five twenty. She would like to see you, talk to you. So you know, I drove on down. We talked, and when she got off for work, we drove back to Atlanta, went out to Little five Points to the Irish pub, and we started seeing each other. I want to say over October.
Speaker 1: So you dated her for approximately how long run?
Speaker 3: I want to say, four weeks? Three? Four weeks? All right?
Speaker 1: So Vanessa, take us back to the incident itself on the night of January sixth, nineteen ninety. It's an awful, unspeakable crime, but just walk us through it, okay.
Speaker 2: So BT was working overnight at the Golden Pantry convenience store and abducted into a white, grayish truck and driven up the interstate, where the assailant beat her, forced her to perform oral sex at some point pulled over and vaginally and anally raped her. The assailant kept driving and actually ran out of gas, and so they were pulled over on the side of the road and somebody stopped seeing the car in distress on the side of the road, and the assailant got into the car with this good samartan and drove off, presumably to get gas. And so bast saw this as her opportunity to escape. She ran to a nearby house and ultimately knocked on the door. The person who lived there, you know, opened it up and saw BT, who was bloody and shaken up, and called police. At this point, the Sheriff's office actually had already arrived at the Golden Pantry because a customer had come in noticed that nobody was in the store, saw blood and the store in disarray, and so had called the sheriff office and somebody from a convenience door across the way had said that they saw BT getting into this truck, and so she was immediately taken to the hospital. They performed a sexual assault kit and recovered male DNA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they found more evidence as well, right, a bloody handprint on the wall, folding knife outside on the ground, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation did GBI performed blood tests on the knife and the handprint, so they had tons of evidence, imagine. They also had a description of the truck. Now, was the assailant wearing a mask by chance?
Speaker 2: No, But it's hard to know actually what really happened because BT gave different stories to the police. So in the week right after the crime, she talked to the police on three different occasions, and the first time she did she gave a really detailed statement, and she said that she was working at the convenience door and that a group had come in of two guys and two girls earlier in the evening, and that one of the men returned several hours later, and that was the person who came behind the counter. And ultimately abducted her. And in this statement she was extremely detailed and very specific about the assailant being a stranger. She told police that she said to him, I'm quoting, I said, what did I ever do to you? I don't even know you, she said, I just knew my own personal opinion. He had come by the store, saw me earlier, got the idea that I might be there alone, come in there. Sure enough, I wasn't so busy, So he took off young girl alone three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 4: Why not.
Speaker 2: So she's very detailed about this being a stranger, and she even says it's this person who was with a group earlier in the evening. And then she goes on to give other statements. Two days after the attack, she gives a description of her assailant. She talks about him being five no five point ten. She wasn't clear if he had tattoos. Of course at that time, Ron is a half a foot taller. He's six'. Three he has multiple, Tattoos so she's describing somebody who's Not. Ron and then she gives a third, statement, right which is a written, statement and the police take her on a drive through of the route that the assailant had taken, her and she points several locations where she was sexually assaulted and walks through a lot of. Details she says in this statement that at one of the stops during the attack that she thought this could be an opportunity to, escape and that she had a, Friend Ronald, jacobson who lived, nearby and she, said you, know MAYBE i could escape IF i have the, chance AND i could get help from.
Speaker 1: HIM i, mean it's all. Craziness the victim grant that she's traumatized for, sure but she said she was hoping to escape to the home of none other Than Ron. Jacobson how do we square that with the idea That Ron, jacobson she later, says was the guy who was attacking. HER i, mean how did they eventually convince her to identify? Him and they interviewed her father as, WELL i, mean how does that play into?
Speaker 2: This so she told police that at the time that the assailant came into the, store that there was somebody else with her and she couldn't really remember who it, was but she thought it Was Bob, knight who was an older man who had worked at the store. Previously but was friends with her. Father in the days following her, Attack Bob knight and the father are talking and the father, says, well you, know she was having some issues with this guy she, Dated Ron. Jacobson maybe he did. It So Bob knight Takes Ron jacobson's name to the police and, SAYS i THINK i know who the assailant, Is Ron. Jacobson Bob knight had never Met Ron. Jacobson he's just going off of this statement that the dad. Said so police pull a picture Of Ron, jacobson HIS dmv photograph and show it To Bob, knight who then, says that's the PERSON i saw in the. Store BUT i mean that lineup or photo show up procedure is just bonkers and of, itself because they give Him Ron jacobson's driver's, license which presumably has his name on, it and he, says, yeah that's the. Guy and so based on, that the police go back TO bt and say we think we know who did. It It's Ron, jacobson and she, says, no it. Wasn't so she's adamant that it's Not. Ron and then the police want to polygraph. Her so you HAVE bt saying, no it's Not, ron and the police saying we don't believe, you and we're going to polygraph. You i've never even seen this circumstance in any case That i've worked, on where the police seek to polygraph the victim because the victim is not identifying the person who they believe is the. Suspect but that's what was happening. Here it turns out THAT, bt at the time of her attack was newly, pregnant and so the polygrapher refused to administer the, polygraph and instead the police consult with a behavioral analyst at The Georgia bureau Of investigation that says to, them go back to, her talk to. Her sometimes victims repress, things tell her you know what, happened and eventually she'll remember and she'll come forward with the. Information and so that's what. Happens they go back to her and then she eventually says it Was.
Speaker 1: Ron and then six days, Later january, Twelfth, ron they brought you. In how did that? GO i, mean you must have been shocked to even find yourself in that situation in the first.
Speaker 3: Place, WELL i was at work In atlanta and the phone ring it was my pro, officer he, said, LOOK i do you come into the office as fasts. POSSIBLE i, said, Okay i'll be. There So i'm thinking to, myself, okay it's a random your analysis and. Out SO i told My BOSSTON i, said, LOOK i gotta. Go i'll be back an. Hour SO i walk into THE pro. Office ANOTHER pro officer walks in behind, me pushed me against the, wall put me in a, handcuffs Says i'm under. Arrest so Now i'm, wondering you, know for. WHAT i didn't violate parole and they said, no for a sexual suit of this VICTIM, Bt and SO i, EXPLAINED i, SAID bt, NAH i was In tennessee With, janey my, Girlfriend and they called The sheriff's department and THE gbi Agent sheriff's department come, up picked me, up drove me back to the county. Jail so it was a total shock to.
Speaker 1: Me so police didn't record the, interrogation but nonetheless they would have had an issue to police report that was written in the first, person as If ron had written it, right and then of course to double down on this obvious. Malfeasans they also never showed a copy of the report To ron or his team to determine whether it was accurate or. Not And ron was arrested the same, day charged with aggravated side of me, kidnapping with bodily injury and bated. Assault and then six months Later ron went to trial In Newton County Superior court and in the opening state with the, prosecutor now get this, Okay the prosecutor acknowledged that the case was. Problematic he said that the police quote went back TO bt and kind of told her who it, was and at that point in, time she, said, yes it was, him and she went and told the whole same story, again but just supplied his name at this point in time. Unquote so from what we already know of the, investigation that summary is misleading at. Best there, was of, course zero physical or forensic evidence Tying ron to the. Crime so it comes down to the problematic testimonies To Bob knight AND, bt to which the jury was simply not aware of how these pieces of evidence were. Gathered, Now night testified that he Recognized ron as the man who came into the store that night as he was, leaving and THEN bt went ahead and identified You ron as her, attacker and she said she didn't immediately to fire because you had threatened to kill her if she. Did, Now, vanessa go ahead and tell us about the defense.
Speaker 2: HERE bt is never really confronted with the detailed statements that she gave implicating somebody. Else it is mentioned at trial that she initially didn't say it Was, ron and she says it was because you, know she was scared of her. Life but just not saying it Was ron at the beginning could mean you didn't say it in the first hour or. Two it doesn't mean you. Know and the jury never was told you gave these really detailed, statements. Right you talked about even going To ron for. Help you talked about this group of people coming in and one of the guys coming, back and you saying to, HIM i don't even know. YOU i, mean none of that came out to the. Jury so there's two, Possibilities, right it wasn't turned over and either the police buried it or the prosecution buried, it or it was turned over and his defense attorneys failed to use. IT i don't have the answer to, that as the records aren't, perfect and Because ron's lawyer was so bad that it is possible that he didn't use it and the witnesses That ron had in his favor to say that he was one hundred and fifty miles away when this. Happened it was his girlfriend at the time who was pregnant her. Mother they were WATCHING tv at two thirty three in the. Morning he's hours away from where this crime happened at shortly probably after four. Am and there's reason that they would remember this. Night it was just within days of his girlfriend's. Birthday he had gone up there that. Weekend he brought our car as a, president and so it's just none of that really came out at trial to really add credibility and show why these people who were testifying and had been With, ron you, know why they were so believable and, credible and that just didn't come. Out it was just like five questions and you're. Done the defense That ron. HAD i, mean this is where you feel like you're in a, movie like this is a horror. Movie you're From, brooklyn you're stuck basically In. Georgia you're now facing, trial and your lawyer is scared of his own shadow or just doesn't. Care AND i think one just being an outsider in this, place which is you, know close To, atlanta but world's away. Right even on his booking sheet there was a line for deformities and the deformity listed Is brooklyn Accent.
Speaker 1: Ron what are your recollections of the?
Speaker 3: Trial stranger in a strange. Land my trial attorney came to see, ME i believe maybe twice at the most. Repair he never talked to none of my witnesses till the day to. Trial so the night before my attorney comes walking down to the jail and he, said we got the trial in the. Morning try to get a haircut and cut your. BEARD i got an old rusty. RAZOR i trimmed my beard. Off so the day to, TRIAL i go. In now you got this prosecutor Ton jerry look at. Him he tried to change his. Appearance he shaved his beard. Off so basically everything my trial attorney did was. Negative when he HAD bt on the witness, stand he popped the question off as, well watch your relationship. Tonight the district Attorney JOHN i you, know he jumped up said, whoa, whoa. Whoa you told the judge get the jury out of, here and they disciplined my. Attorney they brought up the rape. Shield you're not supposed to ask no kind of sexual, relationships pass, relationships but you know it was too. Late the jury already heard this, question so they bring it, back and from that point, on my attorney sat there and drew little sailboats on his, pad so it was a foregone. Conclusion you KNOW i was going to get.
Speaker 1: Convicted he drew little sailboats on his, pass and you're sitting there watching him do. This so you've got like a split screen horror. Show you've got these people up there telling all kinds of lies about, you and you've got the one person who's there that's supposed to be your last line of, defense really drawing fucking sailboats on a. Pass it's really. Not and then of course it gets worse because On june, twelfth nineteen, ninety the jury convicted you of, aggravatedstomy can have a bodily injury and aggravated a sodden sense of your life in. Prison it was a horror.
Speaker 3: Show THEN i took the stand in my own. Defense my trial attorney you never really asked me any, questions but then to prosecute he told the jury EVERYTHING i. Said i'm a pathological, liar habitual. LIAR i brought up about the, police you, know with the, statements and, oh so you're accusing the police of being liars when you're the. Liar but you know small town politics and HERE i, am you, know From, brooklyn Outsider New, yorker and this is what. HAPPENS a gross mischaracter justice cost me thirty, years eight, months and thirteen days of my.
Speaker 1: Life this episode is underwritten BY, aig a leading globaling insurance, company and By, accenture a global professional services company with leading capabilities in, digital cloud and. Security working to reform the criminal justice system is a key pillar of THE aig Pro Bono, program which provides free legal services and other support to many nonprofit organizations and individuals most in need as part Of eccentsure's commitment to racial and civil. Justice Accenture's Legal Access program provides pro bono legal services in partnership with more than forty, organizations bringing meaningful change to people and communities.
Speaker 3: Worldwide WHEN i first went to, prison it's basically like a wild dog. Pack everybody wants to be an alpha, male so you don't trust. Nobody you got to watch your, back you got to watch what you, say and the guards you, know they don't care people getting killed there every, week no prosecution on them because you got twenty year old kids with life. Sentences no whole again, now so they're going to do what they. Want when you first get, convicted you go through the. Stage it's a lot of, anger anger at the. World then it's. Acceptance you say to, Yourself, okay this happened to, me what are you going to do about? It so now you educate, yourself go to the law, library you start, reading start. Researching AND i happened to be watching yoj trial And i've Seen barryshack talking ABOUT. DNA i talked to my. MOM i, said look THAT dna is going to clear me one. Day SO i started. Researching i've Seen barryshak wrote a, Book Actual, innocence so my mom sent it to. ME i read this book like sixteen. Times and at the, time around two thousand and, Three georgia passed the law from post CONVICTION dna. Testing SO i sat, down wrote thirteen fifteen page letter The Georgia Innocent project and The Innocent project In New york And. Georgia people wrote me right, back said, okay we'll help. You we'll take your, case send us you transcripts and. Everything SO i. Did about a year goes, by they send everything, back says at this, time we can't do nothing for, you but your case is still. Open ten years go. By it was in twenty. Thirteen out of the, BLUE i get a. Letter go up to the mail, room get legal, mail and here it is a letter from THE Us project says we're going to accept your. Case and it was just like a wy to load off my. Back SO i run over to Low, library get. Everything note OF us gets straight into, mail And i've been working With vanessa seven eight years. Now it's been an uphill.
Speaker 1: Battle, yeah uphill sounds about, right because from WHAT i understand is that THIS da who's, now by the, way a, judge her Name's, leylasan she fought both to disallow THE dna testing to begin with and then to disallow the admission of results that they knew would have cleared, you which is just freaking. Nuts So, vanessa can you tell us about the fight against THIS Da, leilazan who was just hell bent on maintaining this awful.
Speaker 2: Injustice THE dna test results that we obtained Clearing ron came back in twenty, seventeen and when we got those, results THE Da Opposed relief fought against a new, trial and her primary argument Was ron could not use these test results to prove his innocence because the rape shield law prevented him from using THE dna to secure his. Exoneration so the rape shield law is a law that has been enacted to protect victims of sexual assault from defense attorneys going in and trying to, say, oh, well you know you slept with twenty other people and so you weren't really sexually, assaulted or you, consented or try to use victim's past sexual history to somehow undermine the veracity of his or her. Claim and it has nothing to do with if you have scientific evidence that goes to the heart of who committed the, crime, Right but this is how the state was in this. Case their position, was we Know ron was the, assailant so if there's some MALE dna in her rape, kit, that by the, way we know couldn't come from a prior act of consensual, sex because she told hospital personnel she hadn't had sex in a week before the, attack so we know it couldn't have come from anyone. Else but their position was since it Excluded, ron it had to come from somebody. Else she must be, lying she must have not been honest about another, encounter and Therefore ron can't use. It and it's like that was, crazy and even ultimately THE da recognized was crazy because of some cases that were going on in The Georgia Supreme court at the. Time so she tried to use the rape shield law as a rape shield sword Against. Ron then when that didn't prevail and his conviction was, vacated he was being held in the county jail with no. Bail he was in on a sexual assault for which he had already served thirty, years and the court declined to set fail and so he was in jail for over a year with no. Activity the state have made no real attempt to bring this case to, retrial but wouldn't dismiss the. Charges and, then of course THE covid nineteen pandemic, hits and so In april of twenty, twenty we make this emergency motion to set bail In ron's. Case this is when the pandemic's taking. Off it starts to spread like wildfire in. Jails people in jails are sitting, ducks Right they don't have access to mass and purel and all of the things that people were clamoring for out in. Society and so it's at this point that we finally are approaching a hearing. Date and by the, way in this, jurisdiction if you file, emotion the only way you can get on the court's calendar is if THE da sets it. Down so for a while she wouldn't even set, This we couldn't even get the motion. Set and finally we get an opportunity that a court's going to hear, it and she makes this offer To, ron you, know if you just plead, guilty you can get out. Tomorrow she even offers him An alford, plea which means that he could have maintained his innocence but still pled. Guilty would have the same effect as a. Conviction but he could have gotten, out you, know the next, day if he had just SAID i did. It but by saying, No ron wasn't just taking this, stance he was also risking his. Life you, know we didn't know what was going to go on WITH. Covid he didn't have access to even protect, himself so it was even more dangerous than. Usual this thought that you know by saying, No ron could have died in prison and just never had the opportunity to even walk. Out and, then of, course after he turns down the, deal the state goes into court and argues That ron shouldn't get bailed because he's too. Dangerous so he's too dangerous to walk out of prison if he's maintaining his. Innocence but if he had just said he was, guilty you were going to let him, go. Right and then to top it all, off the prosecutor, says we oppose, bail but if you're going to set, bail set it at fifty, thousand and the court Said i'm going to set it at five hundred.
Speaker 1: THOUSAND i, mean what master do these people, serve because it certainly isn't. Justice And, ron can you take us back to that moment when they offered you the plea where if you just accepted it and said you were, guilty that you could walk out the door the next, day right the very next, day after thirty years in. PRISON i, mean what went through your mind in that.
Speaker 3: MOMENT i thought about that for a split, second AND i, said, well IF i give, In i've been Saying i'm minison for thirty. Years, also NOW i won't change my. STORY i, said you, know the worst they can do if they reconvict me is give me a no life. Sentence they already took everything from. Me my mom died in twenty, ten my brother died WHILE i was in. Prison i'm living up here with my sister now helping. Her she supported me for thirty, years and it's my turn to give back help. Her so by not giving, in if somebody hears about my, case that's in the same position to take a plea. Bargain i'm not holding it against. Them you, know it's their personal. Choice but if they look at me and they take some strength and, say, Hey i'm, innocent let's prove. It don't give into these.
Speaker 4: Bastards it's incredible to hear you say that you thought about it for a split.
Speaker 1: Second it's like you've already seen the worst aspects of our, system so you knew what they could do to. You it took a lot of, courage and like you, said everybody makes that choice. Differently it's another sort of sick thing about our system that people are put into that, position having already been through the unbelievable trauma of drawing fulm incarceration for, decades and then faced with possibly waiting years for another trial and then potentially being framed. Again but you stood by your guns and ultimately that was clearly the right, decision and all of us are thrilled that you've been, vindicated, exonerated and proven to have been telling the truth all. Along vanessa helped me out here because this is really it's. EVIL i, mean what they did to him is, evil, RIGHT i mean that's not too strong of a.
Speaker 2: Word, WELL i guess it's not when you consider that the district attorney Leyla's on who was handling his, case had been exposed for having a little toy electric chair on her. DESK i think you've definitely identified the mentality that's going on.
Speaker 1: Here And, RON i want to highlight the fact that you ended up with a literal dream team, here, RIGHT i, mean you Have vanessa and The Innesis. PROJECT i want to also shout out the other good guys, Here Donald samuel And Amanda Clark palmer from The atlanta law firm Of Garland samuel And. Loebe my understanding is that they played a really significant role in, this AM i.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, Yes in twenty thirteen when first came on. Board that was such a relief over the years talking on the, phone getting the information about my case and learning more and seeing how the process. Works it's, amazing Especially, vanessa and now That i'm out have access to needing that SO i could see the scope of The unison, project how many people they helped and affected their lives in a positive. Way don And amanda In, Georgia, vanessa all the, paralegals the law, STUDENTS i can name them. All i'm in their.
Speaker 2: Debt and we did ultimately work with The Georgia andson's project as. Well they were really instrumental when we were fighting to get THE dna testing and have been a great partner with.
Speaker 1: Us so ultimately justice was delayed by three, decades but not. Denied In june twenty, Twenty District Attorney lala Is, on one of the major villains in this. Case in an ironic twist of, fate her good fortune was the best thing that could have happened For ron because when she was appointed to A Superior court judgeship and her chief, Deputy randy, McGinley was sworn in as the NEW da then also elected That, november he promised the review Of ron's. Case at this, Point ron was already out on, bail but still not free until On august twenty, fifth twenty twenty, one d McGinley had Reviewed ron's case and dismissed all the.
Speaker 3: Charges on That dayness called, Me she cried and, said you're. Free they dropped the charges like it stunned. ME i, said, nah it took a couple of days of walking around and letting us sink. In i'm finally. Free, then you, know you start thinking about how many more people still in prison that have no, chance have no, help and it hurts you, know it bothers you because after so many years in, prison my, psyche you, know is still there with them. People it's something THAT i can't let it. Go and there's no tone how many countless people that are still, innocent still in prison with no, help never go and get no. Help SO i feel. Blessed don't take nothing for, granted no. More just one day at a.
Speaker 1: Time, Yeah and it's really incredible to have you here, today just weeks since you were fully. Exonerated so for those of you who are moved By ron's story and who would like to help him as he begins this next chapter of his. Life there's An amazon wish list as well as A mightycause dot com. Story we're gonna put links to both of these in the bio where you can donate to Help. Ron so please go click on the link in the. Bio do it. Now we're going to join you in doing so here At Ronful conviction as. Well, so now this is a part of the show Called Closing, arguments and it works like. This first of, ALL i thank you Again Ron jacobson for having a courage to come here and share your incredible, story and of Course Vanessa popkin for just being such a, superwoman freedom fighter all around just awesome Human and so thanks to both of you for being here on the. Show and now Closing arguments works like. THIS i turn my mic, off kick back in my, chair leave my headphones, on and just leave your microphones on so you can share any other thoughts that we may have left, out or anything that's on your mind of any. Kind So, vanessa with all due respect to, you will save the best for. Last and of Course, ron that's. You you're the featured guest. Here So, vanessa once you go first and then just hand it off To, ron and that's how we'll close out the.
Speaker 2: Show you, know being here today and listening To ron, speak it's just hitting, me particularly now his incredible strength and fortitude to have turned down that. Offer and we just know how. Coerceive the legal system is pre, trial the state tries to extort guilty please to resolve. Cases the stakes are so high that you're incentivized to just take a pleaven when you're, innocent or just give up your constitutional rights to a. Trial SO i am respecting the amount of courage and strength that took, You ron to make that decision and stand up to the, system And i'm so proud that you. Prevailed it's making me think about the judges again that the person really dragged this out through so many years is now on the. Bench we need to get progressive prosecutors in, place but we also need to make sure that they're judges on the bench who are going to also be in line with. Change and SO i think those are the Takeaways i'm. Experiencing in addition To, Ron you're just an all around such an incredible. Person and you, know When ron got out while he was still fighting to get the charges. Dismissed he started going on social media and he was On. Facebook and when you're representing someone who could face a, retrial it's a real stressor to have them out there making all these. Comments SO i thought about reaching out To ron and, saying, hey fall back a little. BIT i was reading what he was saying and his perspective on the legal system and, change and it was just so right on THAT i was, Like i'm not saying anything keep going.
Speaker 3: Wrong, well you, know my heart and soul. Bleeds oh my brothers and sisters still behind.
Speaker 1: The walls with no.
Speaker 3: Hope and IF i could be a voice in the wilderness to help, them you, know that's my goal in life right? Now do you use my exoneration to help the next person pay, forward whatever it. Takes and The Innocent project and The Innocent, network they do incredible work AND i thank them every.
Speaker 1: Day thank you for listening To Wrongful. Conviction please support your local innocence organizations and go to the links in our bio to see how you can. Help i'd like to thank our production Team Connor, Hall Justin, Golden Jeff, clyburn And kevin wardis the music on this show as always is by three TIME oscar nominated Composer Jay. Ralph be sure to follow us On instagram At Wrongful, conviction On twitter at Wrong, conviction and On facebook At Wrongful Conviction. Podcast Wrongful conviction is a production Of lava For Good podcasts in association With Signal Company number one