Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from Biggie Smalls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being by a casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear knowing what must be done. Does away with fear? Rosa Parks. Let me tell you something about fear. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine from California the other day and they were talking about manifestation. And they said to me, you know what a tracy you manifest all the time I've seen it. I know that you just met. You're a manifestor, right, And I said, so are you? I said, nah, I'm not a manifestor like you. And I said, I'm going to be honest with you because I know you and we're friends from California. Right, you are a manifestor, but what blocks your manifestation is your fear. And you know, she got taken aback. She said, what are you talking about. I'm not afraid of anything. I said, when you ask for something, you asked with confidence. But then when it doesn't show up when you wanted to and when you needed to or when you thought it should, then you get kind of mad. And then when you get mad, you get frustrated. And then when you get frustrated, you start to pick on yourself and say, well, why does this happening to me? Why can't I have it? Why is it always next? Thing. You know, you're disconnected yourself from the frequency of truly manifesting what it is that you want. So when things don't happen when you, guys, want them to happen, or when you think it's supposed to happen, don't lose your vision and don't lose sight that it is still going to happen.
Speaker 2: But it's going to happen when it's supposed to happen. You are not a.
Speaker 1: Control of that. Just stay in that knowing that it's gonna happen. See yourself on that plane in first class, going on that trip. See yourself going to that store and buying whatever it is that you choose to purchase. See yourself purchasing something for someone else. You, guys, fear is an illusion. Look fear straight in the eye and say you don't exist because I have faith, and watch how you change the trajectory of briefing in that moment. Stand in your faith today. I will stand in my faith. Before we get started, I'd like to remind everyone to look out for my new show, Inside the Black Box. I'll be co hosting with the Great Joe Morton. We'll be on Crackle Network real soon. I'll keep you posted. Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore.
Speaker 2: This guest coming up today.
Speaker 1: You know, okay, I'm just laying.
Speaker 2: The guest today is I'm your guest. I'm going to be teaching today.
Speaker 1: Since we are in the beginning, the very very early stages of February, we are going to be talking about loving your talent for the month of February. Technically, you should love it in general always, howsoever we're talking about February.
Speaker 2: February is love your talent.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about ways in which actors can love and continue to.
Speaker 2: Love their talent.
Speaker 1: Because I will say this you guys, this is a challenging business.
Speaker 2: I Am not going to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you that it is Rosie all the time, loving mind. There are hurdles, there are obstacles. There are challenges in relationships that you have to deal with. You know, whether it's the studio relationship, producer, director, casting director, agent, manager, you deal with a lot of people. And if you're not a people person, you might want to reconsider this gig. So where I want to start. I want to start in the beginning, And I asked this question in my class, why did you choose acting, or as some other actors have suggested, acting chose them. But regardless of how you approach and how you came into this industry, you need to be honest with yourself people. You need to be honest. For instance, if you like to eat all the time, and I'm talking breakfast, lunch, and dinner and some snacks and maybe a Starbucks at three o'clock. If you like to pay your bills on time, go shopping, go to a movie here and there, or a Broadway show. If you like all of those things, that's not as consistent as the job of acting will be in the beginning of your career. Now, there are some stories, and I know stories myself from Rob Brown finding Forrester who initially came on the show to audition as an extra and walked out co starring with Sean Sir Sean Connery rest his soul and I coach Buster rhymes in that film. You know, you walk out with a different check. And if you've never seen a check that's like one hundred and fifty thousand, you know, two hundred and fifty thousand a lot of money. However, you have to be smart about budgeting that money, because that could be great for one film, and then what if you don't book another project for a couple of months or maybe a year or two. It's I used to always say, because I have a lot of friends in the music business, and advances are just that they advance you money so that you can take care of your responsibilities and feel comfortable being in the studio recording all day and night. Because you don't need a second job to take care of your living expenses. So you don't want to blow your advance on jewelry and pars initially. And you know, no judgment if that's what you do, that's what you do. I am just saying, in my observation that first check should be considered. Let's budget and budget for like six to eight months after the job. So you know, I'm not saying it's gonna take you six to eight months. I'm not saying. I'm just saying that you have to live wisely. And I think the stripe really put a light on actors and what they're really getting paid, and it's not what a lot of people the general public thinks. So I freelance, we have to handle our money differently. And as much as we are in the present moment, I can speak for myself. You're planning for the future moments as well. And if you have a family, you know that adds up. So you want to be wise. And if you're not wise with your money now, then maybe take some money classes. You know, there's plenty of stuff on ig and all of that, but you know, just so that you know how to get the best and the most of your funds as an actor. But it's not going to be a convenience, you know, at least not for everybody. Some people, you know, they have that financial support and that's great. But just know the words that I choose not to use, like struggle, grinding, hustling, those words are not conducive to bringing work to you. And it sounds like a pain. You want to be in a place of comfort, you know, of course, financial comfort, however, in comfort in pursuing your career. Knowing there is a goal, there is a strategy here. You're not just oh, we'll see what happens or hope for the best. No, you're a part of this creation. Get involved and be actively involved in the making and the creation of your career. Don't put it in somebody else's hands. Trust your hands. You don't know anybody else's ins. Okay, So the first question you should be asking yourself is why do you choose acting or did acting choose you? And really have that on this conversation with yourself. I talked to actors when I first started teaching twenty nine years ago. I would say to actors, you know, are you a morning person? Right? And people would say, no, I'm not really a morning person. And I'd be like, well, you should start practicing now because call times, most call times are like six am, seven am most call times. If you're shooting, you know, night shoots, then your call time is going to be in the afternoon. But you're still going to be working through those two o'clock three am all the way until like eight nine am. So you have to start putting your putting yourself and your mindset in the position of seeing yourself as a working actor. And what are those things that are required. One, you got to be a person, all right. If you are someone who is bothered by you know, taking photographs or signing, you know, seeing yourself signing autographs, you need to shift that. And the reason why I say that, I'm not saying that you have to take every picture, you have to sign every autograph. I'm just saying you should be grateful for the people that support you and put you in the position that you are, because when you do great work, you are not in control of your fame. It's your audience that supports you financially and spiritually. So you know, if you're bothered by that, you should have a conversation with yourself because I'm going to tell you in my twenty nine years of teaching and being an acting coach, a large part of that seventeen twenty years, so my celebrity clients are really really super gracious in taking pictures with their fans or autographs, and I feel really blessed because I've never encountered a situation even when they're tired and we've been on the set for sixteen hours, they still find a space to thank their fans. So again, if that's something that you don't like and not comfortable with, you got to get in the practice, because again, when you do great work, which is not in your control right And I only say that because I've read millions of scripts and millions of scripts that read so wonderfully and they were excellent and they did not translate when they were shocked into a film. So you can read scripts all day and think, oh, this is going to be a great project for me, or this is going to be my breakout role. You don't control that. And so when that happens and you do have that opportunity for a breakout role and to be seen, people love your work around this like they feel like they know you. They feel personal because they buy the ticket to go see your film or they buy your records. I'm just saying common courtesy and being gracious is not something that should be an effort. It should be something that is innately inside of you and that you know, if nothing else, just being gracious and thanking people for their support. I don't feel like that should be an issue, but it's an awareness that I want to bring to you because it's a part of the gig. Another part of the gig that people don't talk about a lot. But when you have a breakout role, right and then I love when Malik Yoba said before in New York Undercover, he said, in my class, he said, no one knew my name. And then the next day everybody knew my name, and you know that has.
Speaker 2: To freak you out.
Speaker 1: When you're walking down street, somebody's like, you know, Tracy what what? Like? You know, if you never had that experience, that is going to be an experience again. When you do great work, you will be recognized and work comes to you because people are talking about you at that point and writing roles for you or considering you for this. A lot of stuff goes on once you have that breakout role, right, But what people don't talk about is junkets. Right. So when you do a film or television show, that's what Entertainment Tonight and GMC all of those access Hollywood. Those shows are set up to show you really the glamorous part of Hollywood. And after you've done a project, you do what's called junkets and you go.
Speaker 2: There's some situations right where you can be in a huge room.
Speaker 1: And CBS is there, NBC the streaming all of the different hosts that you recognize, and one by one you go, it's like a rotation. You go, you sit with Entertainment Tonight and then they interview you, and then you move and you sit with you know, Daily Mail. Right. The thing about that is that what you're doing is you're repeating yourself at least one hundred plus times because you're pretty much being asked the same questions by the host, like, oh my god, so tell us about your character in this movie, or you know, how did you choose pretty much the thing. Right, A lot of actors, this is not their favorite part of the gig. A lot of actors, it's not that they have a problem promoting it, but it's more of the repetition of it that could be a little challenge.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So one situation is you're in a really big room and you're just rotating around and talking to the host. Another situation is that the host are coming to you. A lot of times when I was on the set with my celebrity clients would show up, MTV would Sway would show up. So there's a lot of promotion, and there's a lot of interviews to talk about the film and the thing that you must be consistent with. And I don't feel I should have to push you in this, but you want to be consistent in enjoying each interview that you have. You don't want it to look like it's a burden that you know. Another question about the film. No, you want to be excited, you want your audience to come support you, and more importantly, you enjoyed it and had a great time, Okay, And you know I'm not again, I'm not putting words in your mouth. If you didn't have a great time, you know, there's a way in saying that as well. However, junkets are a very, very very big part of your job. And if you don't like talking about things, talking about yourself, that's another thing you're going to have to incorporate in your life because that is a part of being an actor. And why are we loving your talent is the confidence. It's knowing that there's a role out there for me without being jaded and stressed out right, And I don't even like that word as stress. However, I'm using it to give you guys an example in my experience, actors who are not jaded. And I have a spirited actor right now who is not jaded, and her career is soaring. Applause, applause, applause. She knows who she is and you have this sense of also, you're grown, you know, and it doesn't have to be an age when I say you're grown you're just at a point in your life where there's no there's nothing to chase, there's nothing to hyperventilate about.
Speaker 2: You trust this process. You trust, you put some work into it, you.
Speaker 1: Train, because what job do you apply for or go after and you know nothing about it? This is a job. Yes, acting is a job and more than nine to five. Okay. So I just want you, guys, to have a conversation with yourself before you dive in and invest and consider yourself an actor, or more importantly, before you put that pen to paper or write in your phone your acceptance speech. Be honest with yourself about this industry and the journey that it is. And I keep stressing to you guys, don't look for the joy anywhere else but in the journey. Even when you are I don't use the word rejection. Not every role is for you, and there are a lot of elements of why you did not get the role.
Speaker 2: I have worked on.
Speaker 1: A plethora of projects where you know, sometimes a producer or director has a friend who's an actor and they want to give them that role. Even though you might still audition for that role, that role might be someone else's unbeknownst to you, it doesn't matter. Be grateful for the opportunity to audition. Look at every opportunity, look at every moment in this journey as a teachable lesson for yourself and a way for you to grow as an actor. Okay, all right, fame versus great work. When I work with actors, there's been a couple of actors in my experience that have said, Tracy, can you help me be famous? And I say, no, I can't. I can. I can help you be a great actor, but being famous is something that you're chasing. I don't chase fame, and you should not chase fame. You should allow the process to happen the way it's going to happen. A lot of times actors will take my class, and some actors will be challenged and say, you know know, they want an agent, they want something to happen. I'm going to tell you now that I know my classes are different because when I started teaching twenty nine years ago, I had friends as actor friends as a casting director. I was actively working. I never worked one job. It was always two to four jobs at the same time. Because I didn't know how to say no to my friends, producers and directors now I do. However, at that time, you know I would be working on a job, let's say, with with assistant director Roger Bob. And if you don't know who Roger Bob is, you know I'm really big on IMDb dot com. You have to IMDb dot com these people and whether whoever I speak of, so that you know these are real people and people that you want to work with.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, I was doing a project work with Roger, asked Roger to come into my class. Roger came into my class. I was walking down the street one time, was first season of Dave Chuppelle's TV show. Ran in a Dave and he.
Speaker 2: Was like, where are you going?
Speaker 1: I was like to my class. He was like, chase him coming with you. Like this has been my life in teaching for twenty nine years. I just didn't start inviting people into my class. And not just my actor friends, but also my casting director friends, my agent friends, manager friends.
Speaker 2: Producer director friends.
Speaker 1: Always from day one, wanting the mission and the commitment has always been to help showcase actors and give them opportunities that they may not necessarily have. So me inviting my friends and them so graciously, you know, including my producer of this podcast s, Bruce Henry.
Speaker 2: He comes into the class.
Speaker 1: It's for my actors to have an opportunity to know Spruce, and for Spruce to have them in the back of his mind when he's thinking about voiceover, when he needs an improvisational actor whatever. So this has been the spirited actor and continues to be our mission. And there are things that you know as a casting director that I've overextended myself because again, I believe in actors. I trust actors. You have to as an actor, you have to appreciate you love that. You have to take that in and know that that's not a consistent experience that all actors have. And that's a part of your journey, you know, being grateful for that opportunity to meet that person that you would not necessarily meet on your own, or that you have that connection to me on your own. It's not about the fame. It's about your work focused on being a great actor training. I used to always say this as a casting director. People would say, oh, so you know what's your next gig, and I would say, oh, I don't know what it is, but God is always going to bless me with something and I always would get a job right, and then I would say, even if I wasn't getting paid, I would still do it because I love this right, and then energy started to come to me like favors or no money, and I was like, no, we got to switch that dialogue because it's real life. We have responsibilities. So I love this business so much that even if I wasn't getting paid, I would do it. However, that's not my real world. I've put a lot of time and energy into building my career and relationships that I know my value and I deserve to get paid for my work. So that's my mentality now. But I love this business regardless like I love love love actors. I love being on the set. I love every aspect of it. And that's what you have to do as an actor. You have to love all of it you do. If you love the training hate the audition part, you can't. You've got to find a place in the zooms to love this, you know, And starting with you're not standing in front of us, because I think ninety percent of your audition and my experience as you guys coming in the room and so incredibly nervous that you're either shake. Your body is physically shaking, your voice is shaking. So you don't have to do that anymore. How cool is that you don't have to come in live. Now you're in the comfort the comfort of your home. You're in the comfort of wherever you are you should be, and you at your own past are putting your submission together. Now, I will say this in terms of submissions, because this is a general consensus with all casting directors. Only do as many takes as you feel that you would get if we were in a live audition. I'm gonna say that again, only do as many takes as you would get if you were in a live audition. So in a live audition, you know, a casting director is not doing ten takes. You're lucky if we do two. Really blessed if we do two, because COVID has changed the dynamics of filming. Right, So now look at this, you're in the comforts of your own home. That takes off some pressure and he begb's there's no pressure.
Speaker 2: Okay, go now, or you know we have to take this in ten.
Speaker 1: Minutes because I have somebody else none of that. How cool is that? Because those are the two biggest things in live auditions. In my experience, then you're not reading with me, you're not reading with my associate. You're reading with maybe another thespian front of yours. How cool is that? So there's another comfort for you, somebody you know, somebody you've read with before, and you have a comfort that is going to be beneficial to your submission because we're going to see that comfort even more. You got to look at the glass half full, because when we switch to zoom, I was not happy about that. I love being in person. I love being able to, you know, tap into your energy as an actor, because again, acting is the talent, but we also are dealing with a personality. That's why I said, if you guys are in mourning people, you need to work on that now. If you're not, I want to take a photo of you know, with my with one of my fans, or I'll sign an autograph. You got to make some adjustments because again, our whole purpose is to do great work. Right, I'm not just on here talking about acting. We'll see what happens. No, we're grounding it, We're bringing it, and we're grounding and rooting it in a solid foundation of a commitment passion, work, ethic. All of that is going to ground and root you. The other thing I wanted to talk about as it all goes together is your health for your stamina. Right. I know as a casting director and one of the reasons why I felt it was time for me to transition. You do not have a life as a casting director, like seriously. So one of the things that's really important is rooting and grounding yourself in a solid foundation.
Speaker 2: And the foundation is confidence.
Speaker 1: The foundation is the confidence comes from training because when you know the information and you know the tools, you're confident. Ah, I know what I was going to say to I'm going to add this on stamina. Stamina. Stamina is a part of that foundation as well. It's so important you guys. And I'm older, and I encourage and I implore the youth and the and the younger generations to really invest in your health.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Recently, I just read something where they said that, oh lord, bottled water, right, plastic not bottle water. Plastic water, you know, not plastic water.
Speaker 2: That's in plastic bottles.
Speaker 1: Okay, I heard that, and I have to go back and read this. But there's so much plastic that we're consuming that it's equivalent to us have having like eight a credit card, a plastic credit card every day because you know, you hear something on ID.
Speaker 2: Or you know, in the news. But I'm going to say this.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say that your health and your stamina is imperative to be an actor, Okay. And one of the reasons why I say that is because in TV and film there are no stand ins that are going to come in and you know, understudies. There are no understudies, or there aren't stand ins in TV and film, but they're stand ins because they physically stand in for the lighting. But they never say you're you know the star's words or anything like that. Their dialogue right, But.
Speaker 2: There's nobody that's going to take your place.
Speaker 1: If you have a cold, COVID sore throat, they're going to get a doctor on that set and medicine you up so that you can go back and do the work. You want to drink water. I am such a fan of the green tea. You want to put things in your body. Sea moss has ninety seven out of the hundred minerals and nutrients that your body needs on a daily basis. I do a tablespoon of sea moss every morning. I also do a drop of a regino under my tongue and get and don't get the essen oil a regino which I made the mistake and it's burnt the whole entire mouth. You got to get the Regno. You know that you can take orally black seed oil. You know, more fruits and vegetables for fiber. And to make sure that you know when you know how your body operates, which is a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant machine. You guys, you go to sleep and your pancreas is not tapping you on the shoulder like you know, we need to function your heart, we need to like it's a brilliant machine. So in knowing that our bodies function a certain way, you want to make sure that your water intake is helping to flush out all the things that you don't need. And you want to put foods in your body that are going to excite your body and make your body feel good. If you don't know what it feels good to feel good, man, when you cut out some of this food, processed food or fried foods, or canola oils, vegetable oils, when you start cutting these things out and seeing and feeling the effects. You know what I'm talking about. And even on a higher level, a spiritual frequency, you are clearing your third eye. You and when you clear your third eye. If any of you have watched the film The Secret, I encourage you to watch it. But in The Secret, it talks about how if our thoughts were to manifest at the level which they would right in believing in the law of attraction and manifestation, it would be expeditiously. You would have a thought manifest. You would have a thought manifest. However, we have this sort of filter, right, so we have the thought, and then you can choose to either thing positive about having that thought or negative about having a thought.
Speaker 2: Both require certain energy. Right. That's another conversation we're.
Speaker 1: Going to have. We're going to have the Spirited Actor. What is the spirited Actor? And that's going to be a conversation. We'll do that in May, Okay, I mean March, March. March. We'll do that in March. But I only have a few more minutes, and I want to give you some tips. I want to give you, guys, some tips on building your armor and loving your talent.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: One, stop the noise. All of the people that are in your life that are saying that it's difficult for you to accomplish your goals or your dreams, or it's hard or it's impossible. You need to blow sprinkle dust on them, and I have sprinkled us. It's just some beautiful energy of love and peace, and just blow that on them and bless them. But you can't listen to them. You can't listen to the noise. The noise will distract you, deture you, and the next thing you know, you're sitting in a chair. I should have, would have could stop the noise. And the noise comes from our loved ones first, because they believe they love us, and in loving us, they're protecting us. They're you know all of that. But you have to make a choice. Stop the noise. Two, create a cancelation word or a phrase. Right, So, in our moment of manifestation and thinking right where like, I want to be a working actor. Okay, so you say I want to be a working actor, but you can't stay after that. But I don't know if there's any rolls out there. I don't know if I look right for the part no. So the cancelation word or phrase comes in here. You say I want to be a working actor. That thought comes in and you say delete, cancel, whatever my word is delete. That was my original word. I would just if I heard something come up, I would go delete, delete, and cancel that thought. So you have to create a cancelation word or a cancelation phrase when those negative energies try to pop in your head and try to distract you.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 1: You need to nurture your faith and have standards. I'm not telling you what to do. I am simply suggesting when you hold on to your faith, whatever your religious belief in, there is peace in that surrender is when you say you know what God, you know my needs, you know what I'm asking for. I'm going to just let you handle that. Secure your faith because that's a great place where you can retreat and go talk to God, have a conversation. When you say, oh, they rejected me, and God says, no, they reject you.
Speaker 2: That role wasn't right for you. But there is a role out there for you. And then you sit in that and you say, yeah, you're right there. It is a role out there for me that feels good.
Speaker 1: Four embrace your uniqueness because your uniqueness is your greatness. I don't care what anybody says out here about the Yabba Daba doing of You should be more like Beyonce, you should be more like whoever. No, you should be more like yourself. Your uniqueness is your greatness, and embrace that. And five, we are in the month of February. Love your talents every morning, every morning.
Speaker 2: With there's no exception to this rule.
Speaker 1: Every morning you are to stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself you love yourself. And you cannot leave that mirror until you have convinced yourself that you loved yourself. I love me every single day, every single day.
Speaker 2: It starts with you.
Speaker 1: Well, I've had a pleasure today interviewing myself, just cheering with you guys. Once again, February is love your talent, and you should be in love with your talent, and you should be grateful and you should feel blessed because you are an artist and you have a gift, and how wonderful to share your gift with the world. So I'm going to open it up right now to Elsa. We have a question.
Speaker 2: We do we do.
Speaker 3: Fantastic lesson as always Tracy, thank you.
Speaker 4: For those tips.
Speaker 2: Thank you, love yourself.
Speaker 3: So today we have Miss Anita Hill with us to ask a question. Welcome, Canita, you can come.
Speaker 2: On, Canita Hill. I can't wait to tell her story. Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 3: Question for Tracy, thank you.
Speaker 5: My question is I want to touch a little bit more on the training piece. Okay, what is Sometimes I've heard that, you know, people may say, don't train too much to change who you are. Do you feel like training is a lifelong thing people are always tweaking and training, or do you is it possible to overtrain?
Speaker 2: Those are great questions.
Speaker 1: I will say this that I'm old schools, so I come up with the adop Caesars and the Sam Jackson's and you know and even you know the violas and so the training part of it is, yes, getting the tools, getting the information. But the other aspect of it is that you are going you Nita, There's a wide range of roles that you could play, from an accountant to.
Speaker 2: A mom, right, and.
Speaker 1: Some of these experiences you don't have. So what training does is it helps you to master this experience that this character is having so that we the audience authentically believe this is her experience, Like, you can't tell me she has never you know, as an EMS person, someone has not died on her watch.
Speaker 2: Look at her strengths or you know, like whatever the.
Speaker 1: Experience is, you as an actress may not have it, and training is going to help you to be able to assimilate and not look like you're pretending or imitating. You are authentically you know, a counselor you are authentically you know Notori has never been a judge before, but you believed it in that BT movie with Lance Grows, and she did her research and in that she had to be physical. On top of that, she had to do do training to be able to do that, martial arts and all of that. So training does not have to be consistent every day three hundred and sixty five days. You might take a class, absorb all of that, and then you come up with a role and you might need some assistance. But training is consistent with the Denzels, with the al Pacinos, And so when you look at the greats and they're still training, it's not a situation where you know, oh, I'm good, I work with Latory Naton and I love when she says right before the strike. She was doing Power and she had called me and she said, you know, someone would say, why are you calling Tracy for power? Because you established this role, you know, this role, and she was like, because I need tweaking, you know, and I Tracy might see something that maybe she doesn't. So it's a partnership. I think it's a lifetime partnership. And I also think that.
Speaker 2: Kalita Smith, my road dog, I was talking.
Speaker 1: To her on Monday and she was like, Tacy, I got to get off the phone because I got to go to class.
Speaker 2: And I had just finished telling her you are legendary.
Speaker 1: You are You're a part of that universe where you will always be known for the Bernie Mac Show and being the character on the Bernie Mac Show. That's not a bad thing, you know, when you've established a role where I've worked with you know a lot of different childhood actors. And currently we're working on this project where Kim Fields is directing.
Speaker 2: But you know, she's legendary back to life.
Speaker 1: Let me see. So those are things to be proud of. But for Kalita to say I got to get to class, I was like, this is why you work, because you do and sometimes training is not just let me go in and work on scene study. Sometimes it's inspiration because my classes I don't do beginner, intermediate, and advance for a reason. The aspiring actors motivate the working actors and remind them of why they do it and reignite something in them. And then, of course the aspiring actors are inspired by your working. You just did Law and Order, but you're in class. Why are you so? Yeah, I hope I answered your question.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: Training is you need to train?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need to train. Yeah, you know. And then one other thing I want to ask you with to Kanita, The thing I want to add to it is that do Shakespeare take some take some classes or dialect classes that go totally against the grain of who you are, because that also is inspiring and also re ignites why you're doing this in the first place and why you love it. Well.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you, you're welcome. Thank you, thank you, Elsa. That was a great question.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thank you, Anita, thank you.
Speaker 2: And our next person you want to set it up.
Speaker 3: Yes, our second question is coming from mister Mohammad Williams.
Speaker 6: Welcome, Mohammad, Hey, thank you, Hey, Miss Tracy Elsa mister Henry Hey for me and she virtually, what's been your greatest joy in your journey of working in film and television, whether it's on the casting side or working with an actor, and you see, oh, my goodness, like they've blossomed into you know, into what Because one thing you've always said is like, we have to see the vision that you see for us in ourselves.
Speaker 4: First, what's been, you know, the one that your greatest joy so far in this journey. I know it's probably a lot that you can pick for it. And also how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Ah, I'll answer that at the end, but I will answer it. So in terms of the joy, what is consistent about the joy? I don't think that you can ever get tired of seeing people accomplish their dreams because everybody is individual in their drive and in their passion towards their dreams. So it doesn't look the same in everybody. So that's something that continues to be consistent. Because even in teaching, like with you, you're a perfect example. I work with you in class and then my friend is looking for an actor for a play.
Speaker 2: I think of you, call you know.
Speaker 1: We alsa reaches out for you.
Speaker 2: You get it? That like to me, And and.
Speaker 1: It's not about like a certain time. We don't live in that business. This is not a nine to five, This is not corporate.
Speaker 2: This is very organic and spontaneous.
Speaker 1: So to see you audition, get the role, and then someone else sees what I see in you, that's just the continuous confirmation of that's the motivation and inspiration and it helps to keep me going. What inspires me and the joy in teaching is that the information is still the same and it needs to be mastered and perfected. That's the journey, but that there's still knowledge that needs to be given and shared. And then for me to step back and hear it, it's like, wow, I've been doing this a lot. I just know a lot stuff and it's great to be able.
Speaker 2: To, like I said, share it. So that's the joy for me.
Speaker 1: It's the and I always say to you guys, like remember this moment because we're going to laugh about this. And I was thinking about Miles Fross for those of you who don't know Tony Award winning Miles Frost for a Broadway show MJ and I met him when he was in college and twenties.
Speaker 2: I guess early twenties and he said he wanted to win.
Speaker 1: A Tony.
Speaker 2: And it's and I love when those things happen.
Speaker 1: Those situations happen because you said it and now you've manifested so there, so there it is the power and the word, the thoughts and how you think about it. So yeah, excellent, excellent, and I am feeling fabulous because life encompasses everything. There's no separate categories. It all embodies itself and his life. So I love it. When we come back and thank you, Elsa, Thank you so much for that question. Great questions. All Right, you guys sit back. When we come back on the Spirited Actor Cast with me Tracy More, we are going to do class and Session and Elsa has chosen a monologue this time. Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, and we are in class in session and this is different you guys. We normally do scenes, which I love, but today Elsa Lathan has surprised us with the monologue.
Speaker 2: Hello Elsa, Hello, Hello.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, we had to go with a monologue today because we're talking about loving your craft. So it starts with that, starts with the basics, which is monologues, so I think it's a great tool. So today we have that. Mister Mohammad Williams, welcome back, Muhammad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, Mohammad, Hey, hey, hey, Miss Tracy hey.
Speaker 3: Elsa hey, So Muhammad, tell us the name of your monologue and who was written by, and then you are a yeah.
Speaker 4: So this is a comedic monologue. Is different for me because normally I'm doing the dramatics. So today I decided to do something different, and it's actually something that you had sent me a while back. Also, it's a TSA monologue, comedic monologue. So hopefully I do this to the writer, Miss Tracy, So here we go. Being a struggling actor is like being on a roller coaster ride designed by life itself. Our audition for a role once and they told me I was too unique translation. They were looking for someone with the charisma of a potato. But you know what, I wouldn't have it any other way, shureing. My bank account has more tumbleweeds in a Western movie, and my refrigerator actually echoes. But the thrill of chasing a dream is like a shot to the heart. I've played everything from a tree and a school play to an invisible man or auditions. It's like I have a PhD in rejection at this point, but hey, it build's character, right and who needs a stable income anyway? When you can have the unpredictable excitement of wondering if this audition will be the big break or just another rejection level, people ask why don't you get a real job, But pretending to be someone else is the realest job there is. It's not just about the fame and the fortune. It's about creating moments that resonate with people, or at least booking a commercial to pay your bills. So here's or the struggling actors out there. May your auditions be fruitful, our head shots be photogenic, and may we always find the humor and the chaos that is showbids, because when life hands you lemons, you might as well turn it into one man's show.
Speaker 1: So much.
Speaker 2: Okay applause.
Speaker 1: First of all, there were questions that I was asking myself during your monologue one right, So the first thing I said was he's an actor?
Speaker 2: Do I believe he's an actor? And then it was.
Speaker 1: Like check because initially you started off fast for me, but then an actors, you really got to understand what you're saying, because you said a line about adrenaline and I was like, see, that justifies why you're speaking fast. Your adrenaline is going, So that makes sense. So that is not a critique that goes out the window. Right.
Speaker 2: And then just.
Speaker 1: The cynicism and the sarcasm of you know, of this experience, I was like, he an actor. You know, even in talking and discussing this quote unquote issue, there's dramatics in it.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: So I totally believe that you were an actor and I felt good about that. I felt like I know actors well enough to know that this is like definitely a personality trait, et cetera. What I would do is, even though it's comedy, because everything is about tonality, it's not like, you know, we should be on the floor cracking up, laugh and it's been all the place.
Speaker 2: So what I would do is allow.
Speaker 1: Some of that vulnerability because there's something and you know where it is. There's a place of vulnerability and truth, and then we go back to comedy, right, because that's one thing. I have a lot of comedian friends who are comedians and they always say that, you know, they have the power like nine to eleven to.
Speaker 2: Make jokes and we're like, oh, that's but they do.
Speaker 1: They take that liberty and when we think so, I just feel like, in your sarcasm and flipping this, just find a little more vulnerability and then go.
Speaker 2: Back to that, just to give us some versatility. But I thought you did a great job. Great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see and this, and I see your training and just more importantly your confidence and your groundedness. You're so settled, your spirit is so settled.
Speaker 4: Low.
Speaker 1: Thank you, wonderful, thank you for a great actor and a great performance and a great surprise. Elsa, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Elsa.
Speaker 2: Our writing.
Speaker 1: Now when we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I am going to give you some love.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm going to do. And now it's time forgive love. Now.
Speaker 1: I just want to say this. I want to preference this story before I tell you this story. Anybody that knows me, and regardless if you don't, I love my children, I love Radiance, I love Miles, and I love my granddaughter Sarah. These are my people. Okay. Howsoever, yesterday I said to my daughter, who I love and adore you and your daughter get on my nurse. You and your daughter Sarah. Today, in this very moment, I have to say it, you guys, get on my nurse.
Speaker 2: So I don't talk to my children like that.
Speaker 1: I would, I don't want to ever say things like that to them, But yesterday I had to say it. Spirit made me say it, and I said it unapologetically, right, So I wanted to diffuse that energy after I told her that. And this was after I had dropped her daughter off at the bus stop to go to school. So I walked home and there's this coffee shop in my area, and I said, you know what, I'm going to go in and get something. So I went in to get a cup of coffee, and there was a gentleman before me, and he wanted to get a croissant, and he wanted to get a cup of coffee, but he wanted to split the payment, and the you know, the server was saying to him, we can't split the payment. So he said, okay, well I'll just take the coffee. So then my turn came and I said to the server, I'll take that croissant that you were going to put away, and I'll get a cup of coffee, so she.
Speaker 2: Gave me the croissant.
Speaker 1: I went down where he was waiting for his coffee and I gave it to him and I said, this is for you.
Speaker 2: And he said no, no.
Speaker 1: He said I owe you. I said, no, you do not owe me anything. He said no, I owe you. I said, enjoy. Because what I noticed, and I always am observing behavior, I noticed that when the service said that she couldn't split the payment, I felt his disappointment because he wanted that croissant with his cup of coffee. I saw that. I'm telling you this because my day could have started on.
Speaker 2: My daughter and my granddaughter got on my nerves.
Speaker 1: But my day actually in taking that negative energy, I turned it around when I paid it forward to this gentleman and I felt good and I felt happy, and I called radiance and I said, even though you and your daughter you know my nerves, I still love y'all. And that felt good. Turn your day around. Don't let one bad comment, energy vibe disrupt your day. Find a way to turn it around so that you can, like yesterday turned out to be a spectacular day. Don't forget to look out for us on our new show Inside the Black Box, My co host will be Joe the Legend Morton. It's going to be the Spirited Actor Podcast on Steroids. We'll be streaming on the Crackle network. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for joining us on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited Podcast. Thank you.