Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This is one of those rare moments where the guest actually knows what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he can freestyle and it's really good.
Speaker 2: Ah boy, No no pressure, No pressure on Wayne Brady, there's no right, no pressure.
Speaker 1: Let's go with it.
Speaker 4: Supreme sup Up Supremo, roll call Suprema sup sup Suprema, roll call Supreme, SUPs Up SUPREMEO, roll call Supreme, Suck Suck SUPREMEA.
Speaker 1: Role called friend of Foe. Yeah, which is which?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Questlove the choker bitch call Suprema.
Speaker 4: Su su Suprema roll let me go get Suprema so Supreme with regrets.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah I digress. Yeah that corny rhyme scheme was a hot mess.
Speaker 4: Roll Supreme except Prima, roll call Suprema Suck Suck SUPREMEA role call.
Speaker 1: My name is Fante. Yeah, I'm with my bros. Yeah, hose day yeah Day.
Speaker 5: Supreme Shut su Supreme, Rollkay SUPREMEA shut suh SUPREMEA roll call.
Speaker 1: My name is Chuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah just wait and see. Yeah, I'm the big prize behind door number three.
Speaker 4: Oh call supremeau Supreva roll call Suprema su su suprema roll call.
Speaker 6: I'm unpaid, Bill, Yeah, let me explain. Yeah, fuck the eclipse. Yeah, one hundred percent chance of Wayne.
Speaker 4: Oh car supreme set so supreme for roll call Suprema sub Sun Suprema roll call.
Speaker 1: My name is Wayne. Yeah when it comes to improv, Yeah, this is the thing I do. Yeah, it's a great up suprema. So so let me go again because y'all take my good.
Speaker 5: Enough brave roll call on Downpreva su subprivo roll call Supremo Sun Sun subprivo roll call.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, that you really thought you were going to have to you were trying to choke a bit on your first one.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no. But it was so nice that you guys all gave me little nods that I wanted to do something that that kind of uh encapsulated everybody else. So rust me. If you've heard, oh god, the amount of car crash that was perfect. Well, I'm honored, so thank you so much. That was thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I need a rerun on mine. I missed You're good man. You know you got me out a character by calling me Steve instead just mean.
Speaker 1: All right, So.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, I'm I'm sorry. I feel bad for disrespecting Sugar. He wants me to now refer to him to the nickname.
Speaker 3: You're always telling me to, you know, to embrace your brand.
Speaker 1: You know that's embrace your brand. Here, I am all right, well now in twenty twenty four, so give me my flowers.
Speaker 2: Yes, some fifteen years after I tried to kill you know how he got his nickname Sugar Steve?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wayne Brady knows how I got my next name.
Speaker 1: Pretty much.
Speaker 2: No, he had moved to Philadelphia, like Steve has been on a long time engineer on like a lot of those records Common and DiAngelo and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Back of the Electric ladies.
Speaker 2: So when we tried to kill me, right when we left New York to come back to Philadelphia and he was my engineer, let's just say that Steve just quickly adapted to my very unhealthy eating lifestyle basically days and I invertently gave this be a diet beadies. So so you got the sugar, the sugar, yes, prayer and got you got what we'll see, I.
Speaker 3: Got the sugars and the itis.
Speaker 1: At this point yes, I don't think you're allowed to say itis though with the jury's out, that is he allowed to say, well, was he ever allowed to go to the cookout? Because if he's been to the cookout, then I guess he could say he's.
Speaker 2: An engineered to Erga Badu records, uh into D'Angelo records.
Speaker 1: So I think he has a.
Speaker 2: Quasi Well, we ain't in the church, is what we ate? Not right, but you know, getting invited to the barbecue is a whole nother thing. Wait, ladies and gentlemen, the barbecue after all this time.
Speaker 1: But that's a term. When you get a pass to the barbecue, that means that you are right.
Speaker 3: I guess if I don't know what that term means, then I don't deserve a passion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't use it. You'll see.
Speaker 2: I get it, you know I got I can tell already why he is really gonna miss this show. Yeah, this this of course love Supreme and we are in person a New York shout out to everyone. This is rare for light you to step out for cigarettes this time. You know she'll be back in future episodes. But I will say that we tried to make this episode happen I think maybe eight years ago in twenty sixteen. I forget what happened, but something went a ride the last minute, but suffice to stay. We're extremely glad that our special guest today a multi hyphen guest of ours. He is an Emmy Award winning, five time Emmy Award winning comedian and actor, a singer, a host, a hell of a freestyler, I mean, a real artist, a real creative, and of course I will say he is pretty much part of the production of one of the play in the movie that has been so much to my childhood. He's playing the I don't know you're you're the title character.
Speaker 1: I'm the titular whiz. Right, Yes, you are, indeed the whiz.
Speaker 2: Let's also shout out Deborah Cox and she's a glad and uh melody really.
Speaker 1: Get her downtown. There you go, we did what different cause, man, that would have been awesome different man that she's amazing, that that cast is amazing, So so shout out to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so let me see you. What your name is, Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Wayne Brady. Okay, let me just say this much. I had one particular plan for this episode, but I ran across our Dave Matthews episode, which one of my favorite ones. So I think because the thing is, I do want to know his craft and his journey, but I feel like it's better suited that we just get to know him as a p There's a rare opportunity because I feel like people don't know you as a person, like they always of course say the same thing, like it's such a talented Everything.
Speaker 1: That you've done is amazing.
Speaker 2: People know that your your Steph Curry levels of just shoot it and it goes in. I don't know, it seems effortless every anything you do. I don't think is there any talent that you are struggling.
Speaker 1: In the juggle? No, I can't juggle those things. You're making bees yeah yeah yeah, make bees yeah yeah, produced some. But do you live by yes? And like yes, I try to. Even if you can't do it, you'll say like okay, oh yeah. One time on stage, many many years ago, I think it was like twenty eight, I was doing a show and someone in a scene I got challenged to do a backflip because just came up. But it was so fast, because you know how an improv scene could just go off the reilt you doing blah blah blah. This thing happened. Someone says this, but and then they're like, oh yeah, we'll give it to And I said, watch this before I could, I watch this and I did a backflip. A very ugly but I did a backflip off of the stage and I landed it the first and only time in my life. And that happened. I was like, that is that's the Oh shit, I did it. Yes, And and I look at that whole thing for kind of a metaphor for life. You know, how to just go through you have to embrace things. Yes, and really is a way to get things done? Now you can't yes and everything, mind you, but really trying to challenge yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you had a successful backflip. Yeah, ready for this fact duplicated again. I was like, stall the stall, the oh it was, oh yeah, that's exactly what would happen. No, you would not get ass over tea kettle. Will not happen right now? No, no, no, what was that feeling like this? I'm actually envious.
Speaker 1: I dream of it. It happened so fast that I didn't give my time. So the feeling was in real time. It was like, oh, yeah, watch this because I'm still like that if someone says, oh I bet you can't or can you? Or yes, I spend my life in watch this mode. So at that second I didn't even get the feeling until afterwards. I just did it and then went, oh, I could have died, but it was great. It was great. Wow. Okay, all right, I like that answer.
Speaker 2: So basically, I'm gonna ask you just a series of random questions and if that causes us the rabbit.
Speaker 1: Hole further, then of course it's west supream. So we always do that. Number one, what famous person has your birthday? There is someone hold on June? Second, you're a Semini.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my grandma Elsie.
Speaker 1: Famous. But okay, there got me famous. She's famous in her town, right, she's famous to me, right? All right, Yeah, that's kind of weird, man. No, it's actually very much on brand brand for me, because it's like the reason that I can do what I do and I'm on stage and camera blah blah blah, is because there's that part of me that is the the machine that can get up and do that thing, and then as soon as I walk off stage, I will be happy to just blend into the background. I don't talk to anybody, So there's a reason why a lot of people don't know things about me, which I've started sharing in the past few years. But I'm very much hey, look over here. But then I quantumly don't want to be be noticed, you know at a certain Oh oh absolutely, I can turn it on and turned off. I walk into a room, you can bring an energy that folks are like, oh shit, that's it. And then if I want to, I'll sit there in the corner and you will never know, and I will sit to sit there and watch it.
Speaker 2: In a social study, I've seen Wayne Brady make entrances in rooms and literally like you know, because some people know how to use and utilize their MPH or that thing. Yeah, but you're saying that you could also do the opposite.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, but it's turning it on, as you put it.
Speaker 7: Did you consider that at the core of all the things you do, like that skill of being able to turn on a room or to like make people happy, let's say, lack of Yeah, the word yeah, is that kind of what you're most naturally gifted at.
Speaker 1: That's a thing because you know, like I kind of. I think it goes back to child childhood, like a lot of like all of our things, I was always a shy kid. I had a very pronounced stutter at one point because of they call it what you now, we'd call it a social anxiety or stress or whatever, and so I never wanted to talkalk a lot. So I was very good at pulling my energy back so you didn't notice me. And I was very socially awkward. I'm still socially awkward if I just let myself really be, which is why I don't talk to people, because when I approach people that I'm an admirer of or a fan, I immediately have already played the conversation of me. I have to rehearse sometimes, and this is one of the first times I've ever talked about this. I have such anxiety and never wanting to go back to the kid that stutters and never want to be made fun of. So when I talk to somebody a lot of time, I know exactly, Hey, quest, I'm a fan, I know such and such and such great, now I'm gonna go. I don't even want a conversation to go any further. Even if you said, Wayne, let's hang out, you play your exit already, I'm already gone, because if I go, then I have not given you an opportunity to either go a fuck off kid or to want to talk to me more. Then I actually have to stand there and have a conversation with you and the vulnerable and be vulnerable. So it's best for me to just dip out. So that's why I say, like, when I can turn that thing on, I know when I'm going on stage in the room, I'm like, okay, tag Wayne, you're in, and that Wayne can go in and get get the job done.
Speaker 2: So okay, I'll ask you. This weekend, against my own will, I went to a karaoke party.
Speaker 1: Now here's the thing that sounds like hell to me, right, And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: All my friends were excited, But my friends don't make a living going on stage to perform YEP, So I said to them, karaoke is only fun when I hear a car crash, like if everyone sings like bismarcky or old dirty bastard.
Speaker 1: To me, karaoke's fun.
Speaker 2: But if I'm in a room with like nine people and they're really trying to kill shit, like it's just it's weird to me. Tell right now, the thing was, it actually wound up being exactly but I wound up enjoying myself anyway.
Speaker 1: Good. Maybe I had an adult fruits you. I don't know, but it could be. Maybe maybe I had an adult fruits YOUO.
Speaker 2: But I was explaining on the way home because they were all worried about like my perception, like all right, we know you hate these things in the mirror, but did you have fun?
Speaker 1: Did you have fun? And I actually did have fun.
Speaker 2: But I was explaining to them that in doing my craft, it's easy for me to do it in front of like a thousand to five thousand to sixteen thousand people because it's impersonal, right, But if I'm performing in a room with just like ten people, I hate that, Like I'll freeze.
Speaker 1: It's super exposed. Yeah, you are the most exposed, because if you're doing something super intimate, then it's it's a microscope. So do you hate fresh junkets? Once again, I let the machine do it, you know, I let that part of me take take over. I don't know anybody who enjoys press junkets, but I know that I can do them and get through them and have have the answers I need, and on top of it, because I don't want anyone to think that I'm being Disingenuinue. It's it's not that I don't like these things, they just it just it just causes me such stress to the point of palpitations that I have to to this day, to this very day. Oh damn. So I have to separate and let the me that can do that do it. And that guy, oh, he'll talk all day the press and have an answer be this and he has fun doing it. He has fun doing it. This Wayne still can't have fun because I know what it's like to open your mouth and have this thought. Oh I'm a talk Oh shit, I can't do like. I know that thought process that guy, and that's the thing that brings me that So so over the course of my career, I've learned, well not even career, just life. I've learned to, Hey, this is you were going to be in this setting. Now boop, okay, I'm there, and now you can leave. My daughter makes fun of me because she says, Wayne, you'd be friends with so many more people and celebrities and folks that you work with if you weren't so socially awkward and dipped out. I don't keep in touch with anybody. So I'm there with you. Do you desire to have?
Speaker 2: Like you know, I have a life coach or whatever that's found the weakness of me, and that's being friends with people I don't work with. And so I'm being challenged by October to make friends with at least five males is very specific, Yes to whom aren't on payroll or work with. Now ninety five percent of the time, I'm hanging with you with the roots, right, Like I consider Steve one of my closest friends. I consider my DJ manager Rue one of my closest friends, but they're also on payroll, so it's like we're working together. But I do find that I'm off. I'm very resistant to people that have nothing to do with my life. Like it's already bad. I got to remember seventy names of just managers and co workers and that thing. So but I'm being challenged to find five people that have nothing to do with my life that I trust it.
Speaker 1: I'm struggling like a mavu. But I'm hard if you can do that, not if, because I'm gonna give it to you. That you're going to be able to do it. But I can appreciate how that can be hard because much like in dating, even friendships are all relationships, right, so if things are if those relationships are done with a common bond, I think it's hard for those of us in a certain profession to you're gonna talk to somebody else unless that person is a certain type of person personality wise, what do you have in common? What do you have? And that makes it hard, especially if you are known, because then you have to ask yourself, well, is that person being genuine in this interaction right now? And so that is hard.
Speaker 2: There's one thing that I and this is gonna be the weirdest example I'm gonna give of me breaking that wall down. So I'm working on a project right now that's basically requiring me to watch a lot of Norm McDonald's material. And I've never seen a comedian embrace failure the way that Norm McDonald was. And he revealed on one of these podcasts that he was on they asked him about he you know those roasts they do on Comedy Central. So one time for Cloris Leachman, Norm McDonald did probably one of the greatest displays of a roast to Cloris Leachman, which was basically he decided he was going to eat it, you know, because every comedian comes there like all right, I gotta make a splash, I gotta win. I gotta make sure that you know people are going to social media clip like everyone's thinking met and he decided, not only am I going to tank this set, but he's going to tank in a way that doesn't offer a wink, like you know, a guy like Will Ferrell will purposely do something fucked up, but it comes with the wink like I'm doing this on purpose, calculate you know that I'm good, but this is kitch nah, Like for twenty minutes, everything that Norm McDonald did was from this joke book of nineteen forty, but like really corny jokes. Hey, Cloris Leachman, you're like a bumblebee in August. Yeah, because uh, you're wearing yellow. So watching Norm McDonald fell like that in a Daredevil away almost gave me inspiration to like, Okay, anything that's awkward. I'm just like Tracy Morgan has that, but almost in a provocatory way, like he'll say.
Speaker 1: Something uncomfortable and just living it. Knowing that it's awkward.
Speaker 2: But I think this year I've gotten over my will people talk shit about me, that sort of thing, and I'm like kind of enjoying doing things that previously would have scared me.
Speaker 1: But I'd love to hear that. That's what I've started to do too. In the past few years. I still have that fear and that awkwardness, and my awkwardness is so weird because I will like, I've known Bill for years now, but I don't call Bill all the time. I could call Bill, I could call Lynn, I could any of our friends, but I have this story in my head. I was like, no, he's probably busy. Why would I don't want to bother anybody. So everybody's like, no, Wayne, Wayne doesn't talk to anybody. And then so the person that wants to be left alone really then goes, but why doesn't anybody by me to a party? I want to go to a questlove party. I want to go to see if you said, But then it was like, oh, no, I don't want to do so I decided to try to stop that a couple of years ago, so I was like, I'm not gonna do it anymore. So that's why I've got to read a docu series that's on Hulu and free Forms starting I think in June or July, based on my family, and like, it's the first time that I let people really into my life. And that's why they see backstage. They see my blended family, you know, they see every facet of my life because I wanted to do something super uncomfortable. I'm like, the most uncomfortable thing for me is to let people see me. But on stage, I don't mind embracing failure. I love that because that's part of the yes. And I love to suck on stage and then flip it and turn it around and do I'm a daredevil on stage and life is where I'm very much I'm gonna play this safe and put it down. So I've been trying to do that myself and I found that in doing that, it's made me an even better actor or a better improviser, and to be able to take more chances, which I thought I was taking chances before. Now I just don't care. Now I really have reached a place where let's go. I don't care. I'll do this thing.
Speaker 2: I don't care because as long as I do it, and I feel good. That's what matters, all right. What is your mourning routine? Like the first twenty to twenty five minutes do.
Speaker 1: You have a morning?
Speaker 5: Ut?
Speaker 1: Easy? But I get up and I make my bed first thing. Really I hate that?
Speaker 2: Why because you start with success, you complete we from my reality. I feel like I just up so psychologically that's important to do.
Speaker 8: Absolutely you start you and for me at the end of the day, I like coming back to a room that's made.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? That does for me? That does wonders.
Speaker 6: Does that come from somewhere? Like as a kid you have to make your bed? Was that because I had to make my bed as a kid, But for whatever reason, as an adult, I find it to be Yeah. But yeah, well like when I get up, Yeah, like when I'm out of bed, Yeah, my first thing is me and my wife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we make the bed like that's just row pillows and everything. The whole line. Smooth it because you set I make my bed for two reasons. One, you set an attention and I learned that in therapy years ago about about if you the first place that you have to start is your bed because then when you pull outwards, if your bed, if your room, if your closet, if your bathroom, if your house, if you so is your house is your life. So if your house is messy, then get my friends real fast. That's plus my dad. You know, I come from a military household, so it was also you know, not like in a great Santini way, but like in a hey make your bed. That's how you because that's what you do. You make your bed and you leave your space clean, so that, like you, I can come home at the end of a day and I don't worry about it. I know that I am in a weird place or I've spiraled if I come home to a miss because I am I'm I'm so, I'm so clean, I'm so clean. Making beds first, yeah, man, I gotta well, I mean.
Speaker 3: Not before the first couple of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Then you make the bed. Yeah, do you do you smoke in bed? No?
Speaker 2: You don't say that's that's actually a cool movie scene. Now that you say that, I mean, I hate to say that. Even at this age, my crib like, if left alone, my my room would look like a a frat house. Hid it And I mean I'm not holding shame back. Yes, I don't have time to do household chores. So every other day I'll have the housekeeper in the crib. But yeah, I do loathe getting home and seeing that slobby bed that I didn't make. That's my lowest point of life when I get home on those two days that I did, I don't make my bed and I just walk into it, you know, my pajamas on the floor.
Speaker 1: See, because it takes away from the things that you did accomplish throughout the day. It takes you, yes, because it's a small task. Because if you look at the bed as a wind, right, so like we want to start the day off with the wind. If the world kicks me in the nuts when I leave the house, at least I came back look at my bed. That bed is so and I folded it. I tucked tucked the edge there. And then I've got the military thing, the thing I can bounce a coin, I've got the throw pillows, fold a blanket, and then I leave it on the edge. Like sometimes, come on, man, I love that.
Speaker 2: I got a confession. I'm so lazy with making up the bed that I don't even sleep, you know, like you know, to pull the covers back and get in the bed and then like burrito yourself under the covers. I'm so lazy, like I've been in my apartment for sixteen years. To me one of my faith why are you laughing at.
Speaker 1: Me, Steve like he's been so from laughing on the inside. One of my favorite covers of all time.
Speaker 2: I mean, you ever go picnic like I go to Target and get those like soft ass yes blankets like basically put on top almosto a crasher, you know what I mean. I've spent so much time like crashing in the front lounge of the tour buster, crashing in the back lounge of the tour bus, or so I'm not a must be in bed type person, like where I leave my hat is my home is where I sleep. But even though I'll sleep in my bed, I mostly sleep on my bed and we'll just grab my two my rotation. I have like a rotation of ten of those like blankets that I love. So you don't have to make the bed really just because you just pulled that on top.
Speaker 1: But it's still junky because look at me.
Speaker 2: Of course if I turn, if I turn once, and even the that like my bed looks like half made, so that's even worse, like it's basically six year old version of a mirror is like of a made bed.
Speaker 1: So but it's a win, like that's the only reason that that sticks in my head that that's a win.
Speaker 3: So do you do anything after you make the bed?
Speaker 6: Or is that the end?
Speaker 1: That's just? And I go back to, you know, make the bed and then I brush my teeth. I call Mandy, my ex wife, slash my business partner. I call her. We catch up for the day. We have projects down the pipeline. I check in with with my dog because she goes to LMU, so I try to catch her before she leaves leaves for school, and we get coffee, we hang out, and then it's whatever craziness comes from the rest of the day. But I have to start my day off that way to give myself some sort of a routine, because I need a routine the way my mind works. If you leave me off the leash and I don't have a routine, I'll get up. I'll play video games till two o'clock in the afternoon. If I don't have worker meetings, I will drink my sprite or lemonade right out the bottle. Because I live by myself I'll be in my underwear, I'll play my Xbox until two, I'll get on the phone, I'll do I'll basically be the sixteen year old version of myself if he had an apartment in the poorhouse, in a job of money and.
Speaker 2: Money yeah right, And even as a success, do you still get on yourself if you're not.
Speaker 1: Get up and go daily daily? When I tell you, how hard is it to take vacations and not do nothing? Can I tell you something? And I'll share share this with with all my brothers here. I'm so excited. When I finished my run of the Whiz, I think I'm out of the show, maybe June tenth. So you say you all got to get your tickets to catch okay, June tenth and then knock on wood and all this. I hope to be here for the Tonys. Then I'm gonna take the first trip. Now I'm fifty one years old. I've never and I repeat, I've never, because there was a point in my life when I went places with my grandmother, but you know those are family trips. And then when I was old enough to start working, then I'm working in hustling. And then when when you get someplace. Then I'm hustling, hustling, hustling, and still going. I've never taken a trip in my life just for fun. I've never gone. So when we finished, this same person, I'm leaving. And that's the problem. I'm taking my trip on my I'm taking an Eat Love Prey trip, Julie Robins, I'm gonna do it. Do you know you're de the nations yet? I've got a couple I think I may want to go to I want to go to Thailand or Bangkok, or I want to see Costa Rica, So it depends on one of those, or Tokyo because I want to go to one of the Disneylands. All right, if you I got a hook up for you in Tokyo. Okay. Maybe I've taken four forced vacations in my entire lifetime.
Speaker 2: Wow, Because the thing again, if you are in a band and you're on the road two hundred days out the year, like traveling is not my thing because that's all I do, right, it's work, Yeah, like not doing anything and just laying around being lazy in the house. Like I just got used to that maybe a year and a half ago. But when we first joined Fallon everybody was like planning vacations, and I felt all bad.
Speaker 1: And I was like, well, all right, I want to do something special. Oh, I know, I'll be a hobo.
Speaker 2: So then I got a train ticket from Pittsburgh and traveled all the way across to San Francisco, like by train, by yourself, by myself, and it was awesome.
Speaker 1: Now those four trips where they by yourself or with a significant other family. The first time was by myself.
Speaker 2: And then I befriended Shep Gordon, who is the guy that, like you want to know, the most connected guy, like he was a rock star manager Luther vandros Rick James, Alice Cooper and Murray like everybody. He kinda is your portal to like if you're the guy that's an over worker, doesn't prioritize life, he's the guy you want to know, and he'll force you to take a vacation. So he has like an open door policy in Hawaii. So the other three times have been there.
Speaker 1: What I mean, that's the thing is I've never taken a trip. So I'm going to take this trip by myself because I'm single. So I'm like, I'm gonna go by myself. I want to find myself. It's never too late in life. And I've kind of adopted this mantra of look, man, if you kill it on stage, and I've made made some money and I've been in this for a long ass time now. Before I leave this earth, I want to have fun. I want to enjoy myself. I think that my thing is I have not allowed myself to enjoy anything, to take joy, to take joy in which is which is that due blessing of? And then we all have the thing. If you can bring joy to people, and not to sound like the sad clown shit, but you bring joy to people, that's been my joy. I'm like, oh good that audience like that great, I'm good. Or I took care of my family, y'all are straight good. If I go to the karaoke party, I want to make sure that everybody the karaoke party is cool. And I'm just gonna sit back here because if you guys are cool, but I have no joy in any of those things that have happened. Oh you're not a You're not expected to sing at any karaokee party. Come on, no, no thank you, no no thank you. Because I don't look like an asshole. I don't want to that's pecause you don't want to flex that you're because we do it for real. As soon as you get up there and do it, then it's like cook at home. See all right?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm definitely if you didn't plan it yet. I got people who have done solo trips and they're they're the best planners ever.
Speaker 7: Panna love vacations. Date in the hotels, they make the bed for you. You don't have to do that in the morning.
Speaker 1: Would you believe me if I have stopped the maid from making my bed because because I think I can do it better. I can make my bed better than.
Speaker 2: I'm stuck with people that want to clean the house first before the person comes in to clean it, or clean the hotel room.
Speaker 1: Yo, those people that's me.
Speaker 8: Wait you yeah, man, because I think it's just a part of like you can't y'all ain't about to see me living like this. It's a pride thing, you know what I'm saying. Surprised, Like when I go to the dnnist like mid like the day before I.
Speaker 1: Go to another dentist to get the cleaning that's primary dentist. It's like double dentist.
Speaker 2: I like that, Yeah, like it what time do you go to sleep? How many hours do you get? What time did you go to sleep? Sleep time?
Speaker 1: If I'm on my game and my mental health is on point, then back in La, I try to be in bed now by like ten thirty so that I can get up at six. I had to train train myself because I've got to feed my dogs, and and i was taking my daughter to school, and I never got out of the habit of when I was taking her to high school, So so I was up at six promptly. Now I have a hard time. I really don't go to sleep maybe until one one, one thirty, and then I get up at at six. Still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, to rewarm me about that and said, because you know, I think there's the thing like once you get out of high school, you think that part of your life is over. Like now live a life where I'm always on the first flight. So I am waking up at four in the morning. But you know, Tarik's like, you think you're done the routine of the dread of school. But He's like, when you become a parent, it becomes worse because you got to be up before they are up and prepare stuff for them and make sure they get dressed.
Speaker 1: And don't make them. That's then then you're shitty parent who hasn't made their bed. Ye all the way around.
Speaker 2: So quancy Jones explained this whole idea of alpha time to us. Alpha state, alpha state, there's there's five states that your brain's in alpha, beta, uh, gamma data, and in delta.
Speaker 1: Yes those yes, actually you're being sarcastic, but no the.
Speaker 3: Answers, I'm assuming it's our beta delta ga, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one more so, nice job, sugar.
Speaker 2: I'm all right, at what time, Because creativity is such a major anchor for you, at what time do you feel like is your most creative moment.
Speaker 1: Right as I'm going to sleep. It's right as I'm going to sleep. So many things have come to me in my sleep that I immediately get up and I have to write it down or I text the person that I'm doing the thing with. Those are the times that's when I feel the most fruitful. Is when I should be sleeping. But my mind is fueled by don't suck, don't fail. You'll go broke, your family, get thrown on the street, You'll be horrible, better I'm fight is with me all the damn times I wake up like this. This idea will keep you in your house. This will be a good one. That is crazy. Okay, that's the So what is your go to order at Starbucks? It is a caramel oat milk latte with four pumps of caramel inside, caramel around the rim. You should probably get some caramel. Oh see your caramel, Cara caramel, I see sugar. You're from a different place than I am, so so needless to say. I don't like coffee, but I like sweet stuff, so you know we are the same person. I hate that I've been saying sugar. I will dround it in sugar into and everything else because I do like that. Once again, eighty AHD is real, like I don't know for for you know, folks, I never believed in it, but I understand now and I'm my medication the whole nine. I get why coffee doesn't work on me. I get why sugar does. I get why those things and the mood things. So so I'm trying to wean myself off of that. But I love Starbucks in the morning, and you will not believe me. You can ask my daughter the one who calls me socially awkward. She for years, for years, I've said, you know, I think that Amir and I would be friends because.
Speaker 3: He's looking for friends.
Speaker 1: See you doing your thing or or an interview where you talk about the songs and the movies you said and said, that's my fun, humba, what the hell does so? But I'll never call you. So you guys, are your kids roots are and stuff? Are you? My daughter's a musician and she knows, Oh she knows what's up for real? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's yeah. Well thanks, No, I believe it too. I would normally avoid all right. I did have a theory. Good.
Speaker 2: I had a theory which was I'm mostly afraid of approaching people from my same ilk, okay, because I always think that I bring the value down.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So there was someone that was that was sort of in it. We were kind of in a similar bucket together and on the critical angle, this person got panned in a way that was a little humiliating, you know what I mean. I mean, it wasn't a takedown article, but it's something that they were passionate about and they got panned. And I knew about it, and as a person who always prioritized.
Speaker 1: A record review or any review, a concert review.
Speaker 2: I wanted this person to not take it so serious, but I almost felt like I either overextended, like I felt this person felt that I was judging.
Speaker 9: Them in terms of like, oh, yeah, encouraging them, right, you saw me at my lowest, Yeah, you saw me their thing, so they they have an issue, right, and so we were close.
Speaker 2: And then in order for this person to turn there, they had to like sort of rebrand themselves. And I think hanging with me was bad for the brand, because what world is hanging with you bad for the brand? It's hilarious, but I you know, but I also know there's a lot of that, like a lot of a lot of you as what I saw in that person. And now that you're saying this stuff, now I'm not taking a person like, oh, they didn't want to hang because I just think it is a socially awkward thing or whatever. But now I'm desperate to gather the tribe together to let us all know like, okay, we kind of need each other, Like this is the longest I've gone without a movement, like even the myth of the soul Aquarians.
Speaker 1: But there was a good.
Speaker 2: Eight year period where I'm yeah, my daily interaction was with di'angelo and Erica and Most and Dyla and even the even the outside circle like Tip and dead Press and Blow and like we were we actually lived up to the myth.
Speaker 1: Of what people thought we were.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then the day we found out, the day that someone gave the marketing away, I eve that Vibe magazine photo of all of us, That's the day it went to shit. And ever since then, I've just I've never gone this long without like just somebody to bounce off of, like Common and I I mean, I I guess I can give it away so Common. I'm not gonna say any day now, but Common's basically.
Speaker 1: What I predict.
Speaker 2: He's probably gonna drop the LP that his fan base has really been waiting on. So he went to do a project with Pete Rock. Wow, and they just hold themselves in this studio together, like you know, in Pete Rock's basement and.
Speaker 1: No lie like wrote each other to glory.
Speaker 2: Like I think that most Common fans will say, like this is gonna be his best, like of his eleven albums, this will be in the top five, like.
Speaker 1: That sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Like this is gonna be somewhere between and I'm talking about like and I'm talking about like resurrection one day. It all makes sense fans like pre chocolate common like this is he made that. He made a nineteen ninety six record where you know, Pete Rock all his scratch references are either going to be like this or yes, indeed right.
Speaker 1: And so I kind of came in just on.
Speaker 2: I came in on the eleventh hour just to like Rosh wanted me to come in and give it the like water for chocolate treatment. So I had to put the songs in order and the interludes and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So this is gonna feel this is like and just an amazing thing.
Speaker 2: So this is like the most talking and interaction and idea of bouncing that he and I have done since like two thousand and four. And I just like I missed that level of camaraderie, you know, like I like growing and you know I've done food stuff and books and but.
Speaker 10: See, he's not a good friend. You should reconsider the does stay in touch with people anyway? Seven what is your favorite junk food of all time?
Speaker 1: Damn, my favorite junk food of all time? If you're talking candy, because I really don't eat candy, but you're talking to candy. Peanut eminem's, specifically the peanut eminem's, because I crack them open, I take off the top and I take out the through layers and take out the nut and then I just got it and I'll just throw away the chocolate. Sometimes weird whoa what? Because I like how the peanut takes disc with the chocolate. I like it's infused, but I don't like all of the chocolate that's on the thing. Someone how it tastes. I want to see how influenced you are.
Speaker 2: Do you remember there was an mm's commercial, like maybe in the late seventies in which this guy, it's like a magician guy and he gets an M and M and he he takes it out and it's another color and then he breaks the minem Like do you remember that commercial?
Speaker 1: I absolutely remember what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: So I also, I think it's a waste to take eminem's and just eat them straight.
Speaker 1: Because there's so much there. It's a little gift. So let me find out, y'all. K cat a kit cat? Now, how do you do your cat? What's your cat? You're like French, you have to break break it open to get the layers. I don't eat it like I.
Speaker 2: Did the chocolate first, and then once the cookie is left and.
Speaker 1: I eat the cookie. Yes, yeah, yeah, like I take it, take it, take it aside chocolate and now it can eat the cookie because they just eat the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Do you like the Japanese kick casts?
Speaker 1: Like the Lion of Japan is amazing.
Speaker 2: There's this spot in Brooklyn that I recommend. There's there's a there's a Japanese uh kind of supermarket in Williamsburg that has like ghost pepper kit cats, uh Green Tea kit cats, strawberry kit casts, like all the kits cats that you will find in Tokyo. Oh, there's a ghost pepper tags Yo.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. It's like, are you even meant to enjoy that? It's just like.
Speaker 2: It's a challenge of surviving. My favorite thing is going on YouTube and looking up. You remember when that one potato chip that's allegedly supposed to put you like in the ground, like it's it's one ghost pepper chip. But you know, people do the tasting challenge and then there's normal it's not hot to me and then five minutes later, they're like writing their will out.
Speaker 1: We did it during the pandemic. And when I say we, wasn't me, it's Mandy's. I didn't do it. Mandy's partner, Jason. He did it because we were bored. It was the freaking you know, we're locked in the house. He's like, oh, this is I love hot stuff. And I'm like, are you sure? Oh? Fine, And then I saw that man devolve from into milk and water and then crying, and then the pukan and the crying some more and then some more milk. I was like, yeah, so I'm very well acquainted with that ship.
Speaker 2: Wait, what food is your hometown famous for.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say that I don't know on this one because I was raised in Orlando, Florida. I'm I'm from Orlando, so I don't really. I don't think Orlando has a culture life raised in Alando. I was raised in Orlando. What is it like to grow up in a.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, in the town where like everything's a amusement park.
Speaker 1: Well, when I was coming up, it wasn't really that way yet that so many things were were focused around Disney because Orlando was a smaller town. But the first thing that folks didn't know is that or Orlando has hoods, right, So so you have the places where you think, oh, Disney, that are if this is Disney. There's a ring and there's a place called Simi, you know. So so you're either a redneck that you live out here, or you're very wealthy Windermere Bayhill, all these places where, you know, once the basketball team came came in, and Disney and engineers and folks with money, and then out here you had my my place, TAngelo Park or Carver Shores, basically any place that was named after a president or a or a citrus fruit. It was all black. And so my experience growing up was very different from I guess someone that might be growing up there now because there was such a division.
Speaker 2: Of so he didn't have a fresh off the boat experience new version of Orlando.
Speaker 1: No, because theirs was slightly after mine. So the strip malls started in like the late eighties, early nineties. I was already a teenager at that point. But when I watched Fresh off the Boat when he would go to the Florida Mall, That's where I used to go when I was you know, like sixteen, so it started to get better then. So I don't think that we really had a cultural food. Orlando's not known for anything really. Its identity is kind of want Want. Did you ever work at Disney or absolutely? Yeah. Started off as a character because my whole dream was to be a Kid of the Kingdom, which was one of the singer dancers that would sing and dance out in front of the castle. So my way in was I auditioned for the Disney Christmas Parade and I got cast as a toy soldier and then I trained as a character, but that was merely so I could get in the park and audition as a singer and a dancer. So I did that for about six months. And a weird side side note, Jennifer Lopez's ex ex husband Chris Judd was my was my best friend, so we like back in the day, we danced together and the whole thing before he became a janet dancer and became a successful choreographer. So I worked at Disney at that point, and then I finally got cast to to do a show called Rap and Roll where I was going to be the lead singer. It was like this is it and then I'm gonna do da da. And then I came in on my day off because Chris didn't want to mess up his hair and put on a Tigger outfit. And long story made short, I got involved in Someone accused Tigger of pinching their kid. I was like, I can't pinch your kid because I got on and I got into it with this supervisor, so I think it was a whole thing. She tried to bully her way to the front of the line, and as Tiger, I was like and and and say. She's like, I'm gonna ticker, kicker. Do you know who I am? Was like, nope, I don't know you. I don't give a shit. So then she's like, we'll see Ticker, We'll see. But two, I get called into the supervisor's office. Wayne, We've had a report that a child was pinched, that you pinched him and you stopped him from getting in line. It's like, that didn't happen. What happened was this other supervil. I'm afraid that we're gonna have to put you on leave, and you know that that's just code for as soon as you go on leave. And I was so pitiful. All I wanted. Was that one job in that wrap and roll show? I said, I said, but but, but, holding the tears back, But but but tell tell me something. Please, If if I go on leave and you do your investigation, will I still be able to start rehearsals on Monday? Oh no No, So I lost out on that chance. So I did work at Disney. But then getting fired from there was a blessing. Fire from your dream job. It was a blessing because then I got hired at Universal and I did every show a Universal, the Beatlejuice Rock and Roll Show and all this stuff, and that gave me enough money to head out of Orlando. Fast forward years later when I got Who's line. I was part of this Disney parade experience and they fly you down. You know what they do, They do it big. It's amazing. The person who was assigned a guide, the person who was assigned as my guid when I got into the park, Hello, Wayne, It's name redacted because I don't want embarrass her again because I've told the story before. She's like, Wayne, We're so proud of you. I went and I turned to Mandy. I was like, Mandy, remember that story I told you about when I was sixteen. I'm petty as hell. Remember that story. This is the lady who had me fired. She's like, oh it was like, yes, Oh, it's so great to be back.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Lead us on show me the park. Wow, sweet, I love it.
Speaker 3: That's Sweetavenge, I love it.
Speaker 1: That is so crazy? Are you tigers were a bit? Well? I was gonna ask.
Speaker 2: Because for those that follow succession on the pilot, cousin Greg had to go through that where you know, kids are and that's the thing I don't think about, like how kids can torment you when you're in those costumes and want to kick you and all those things.
Speaker 1: The stories I have Oh really?
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, you think that's just gonna be a thing like your Mickey So to be Mickey Mouse or something like, you gotta have literally balls of steel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you punched and kicked. And at least for me, I really enjoyed the job because for me, it was an opportunity to work on my improvisation. So I would come up with scenarios and talk to the other characters before we went out onto Main Street or wherever your set was and say, hey, so so in this one, you find find a tourist, and my job is I'm the secret Service, so I'm gonna protect her. Your your job is you're trying to assassinate her. So we would spend the whole set acting these things out, and so I was using it for that. So I liked it. Even though kids would pull on the PVC pipe tail because the tigertail used to be strapped with a little belt around your back, and it's a PVC pipe, it's curved, and kids would go, oh okay, and it was a dip, so kids would either jump in the dip and sit on it, and you can't see anything because your world is here. Your world is here, and so you can't see if a kid is like take it, take it and you look and you fall back and you bust your ass, or they take the tail and they crank it and they either break it. So sometimes to clear a path. Occasionally if they were grabbing onto me, I would reach back, excuse me, and just keep it moving and just keep Sometimes you'd have to do that not to hurt and hurt anybody. But just like the door, the door stopped.
Speaker 2: What television show are you currently binging?
Speaker 1: Currently? I'm binging the Gentleman on Netflix. Guy Richie is the genial like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: I'm nervous because I feel like, if you got to put your name.
Speaker 1: In the title, it's better than the movie. And I like the movie. But but it depends on if you like Guy Richie because he has a thing, right, So I like Guy Ritchie. It's written really well, the cast is awesome. It's yeah, it's it's it's great. I love it. So I'm binging that. And and I just binged Invincible because because I'm also animation, that's invincible. Invincible what is it? It's super violent, like it's based on you know The Boys, right, yeah, so, so it's still in that same world of these superheroes, but Invincible. His father is from another planet, Vimite a Vitrumite. He's like Superman. So think of Superman, powerful man, like the most powerful dude, and everybody loves him. Everybody loves him. He's also a member of this league, the Guardians of the Globe. Everybody loves him. He's the most powerful guy in the world. Blah blah blah. Come to find out, Well, I don't want to spoil it. Well, it's not really really a spoiler because you look it up. He really the Vitromites really there. Their whole thing is domination. So he was sent there to Earth to take over one Victromite and take over the whole planet. So he impregnated a human, fell in love with her, and was waiting for their son, who now is a teenager and upon his sixteenth birthday. So dads, just like, do you have powers? Yet? You have powers? The empowers? You have powers, and the powers happened. He's like, you've got powers. So you think it's a coming of age story of this boy Mark who is coming into his own greatest American hero style. Oh, I can't fly, wobble everything. And then it turns into great son, You've got your powers. Time to kill everybody. He runs ragged through The Guardians image animated, Yes, anime based on the the graphic novel the comic, and it's on Amazon, Amazon Prime Video. It's amazing, all right, I am on it. I will watch that. What other non musical jobs have you had in your life? Well, well, I haven't had a lot, but they were formative for a couple of months because I wanted the discount. I worked at a place called KB toy stores. I don't know. I worked at KB. A friend of mine from a high school named Kenny. Shout out to Kenny got me the job there. It was right after high school, and I was working at Disney part time. But it was right after high school, and my mom made me get a civilian job because she didn't leaving the acting thing. And I'd already turned down a few scholarships to a bunch of schools and the opportunity to audition for like the Yale School of Drama and a bunch of other stuff, because I said, no, I just want to do this, and I was hard headed. I hated school. I said I want to do this. I got great grades. Buy him out, she said, And my folks are from the US Virgin Islands, you know, so island folks. She was like. If she didn't time from St. Thomas and Saint Croix, damn, I used to live in Frenchman's Reef oh long ago. Yeah. I got family there. I got family. So so I was like, well, then you get a job, whether then you're going to take it as and get a job, and you're gonna go to school pot the pot time until something happened. So I said, okay, fine. I worked at KB toy store because there was also I forget that's when the Nintendo first came out. So I was like, all right, I worked there. Kenny got me the job. I work there, and I'll get the discount and maybe I can do it. But there was a buddy of mine who I have to admit, for ten seconds, I had a larcenous thought. He was like, yo, you work at KB. Come that new Nintendo wid You ain't coming. Now. What you can do is do you do the stock? Yeah, you do the stock. You dropped that ship around back, dropped two of them ships. I'm gonna go around back. I'll pick them up. You you claim it as a loss, as a theft, Like, no, I'll give a bit of that. That's insurance. I said, that's what insurance. I almost did it. I got the job so I can get the discount. And then I had a thought about taking a Nintendo. Never took it, dude, couldn't get a Nintendo. Didn't happen, but I felt so bad that I told Kenny it's like, look, man, I can't work here because I think if I stay here like another week, I might steal a Nintendo. Now I'm just being real, I might take it because I'm broke. So you were there for Nintendo, I was there, it was later. I was there for the Tickle Me l molds, right, the same story. That's hilarious.
Speaker 8: It was that it was insanity, bro Yeah it was Yeah, that shit was crazy, man.
Speaker 1: It was South squareballing Daryl, Wow Baby Toys.
Speaker 2: Someone gifted me a Tickle Me Elmo this year for my fifty third birthday.
Speaker 1: They still make it no, you know.
Speaker 3: Like between Wayne and that you only need two more friends.
Speaker 2: We are closing the gap, I mean great Frog. Yeah, it was a very random gift to give me. But this person is like a vintage toy collector or whatever. And oh remember it's like some posts I put on an OK Player, like back in two thousand and one, two thousand and two. Whatever about tickle Me Elmo and someone.
Speaker 1: That's gotta be worth something now, it'd be worth something now. Yeah, they they went all out for this one KB. And the other job is I worked at at a place called Malibu Grand Prix and Video Games, not Malibu here but in Orlando, which basically means nothing. Because it was just to make make it sound fancy. So I cleaned the bathrooms, I made hot dogs and hamburgers and fries, and I checked the video games and I serviced them. What do I know about servicing video games? And I would give you tokens if your tokens were lost insurance insurance. I'd be the guy that now that one, that one scam. One did have a system scam. We're like twenty odd years like more like that that was in the great spirit is going yeah, so so yeah, so customer, Oh you know, I lost two coins and zus it's like, oh, you did four, thank you, and then then you have coins to pay. Okay, you mentioned video games earlier. Man, what's you run? What's what's what's you run? Right now? Call of Duty Modern Warfare three. I'm on a team. We're not very good. So I spend most of my time playing playing zombies and uh and I played Destiny on my PS five and I've just gone back to old school Halo. You first person shooter? Oh, first person shooter? All day? All right? Do you journal? Not like I should? I'll start to and then it's too much, like I don't want to write down all of my thoughts, so I don't want folks to know. But instead of journaling, I do voice notes. If you check my phone in that voice note app, I've got all these voice notes.
Speaker 2: That it's my that is my audio journal and unknown like do you are you too lazy? I'm too lazy to mark.
Speaker 1: I trust the fact that if it's a song idea, I'll be like great, and they'll say Santa Monica Hills eleven thirty or like oh yeah, that was two weeks ago. I was on the showers, so that'll be this one. That's why they do that. Okay.
Speaker 6: Also, he doesn't text. He just he sends long voice memos to you. So if you send him a text, he'll respond with a really long voice.
Speaker 1: Memo or a video because texting is I'm like, I don't hey, hey hates me? What's what's your prefer form of communication? Texting? Calling or face time? FaceTime and and voice memos? Face time? All right?
Speaker 2: That means you have kids, because I feel like FaceTime was really invented for your kids and for hookups spouses to prove.
Speaker 1: Where they are spouse's proof, and for hookups. Let me see you see your face okay, huh oh click, all right?
Speaker 2: Who is your best celebrity impression.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, off the top of my head. I can't think because I know I do do some, but they come up in the moment. Okay, I'll do one that I guarantee you that no one on your show has ever done. I have a super unique impression. This is an impression of if you've ever seen Mary Poppins, it's an impression of her own cool, the one that would float away. Now do you guys know who I'm talking You're talking about in the movie. Now on top of that, just picture me in my hood, which is why I think I kept my mouth shut because I got tired of fighting folks my weird ass. That's the stuff that I was watching. And Kats are watching Star Skin Hutch and I want to talk about Mary Poppins or Masterpiece Theater. So so this is and Alison, I'm alistair dude. I Caesar, the Julius Caesar thing and upstairs downstairs changed my life. That that's where I learned to do a British accent. And okay, so so I digress. So this is the impression, boys and girls, if you haven't seen Mary Poppins, just just fast forward to this. The only brother, who does this impersonation?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: Hit me? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: How did you know you had that one? Anyway, it's because of improv right, Like I never got asked the impressions before whose line or something? But when you get thrown something all of a sudden, you realize, oh, I've got that in my back pocket. Yeah yeah youah backflipp once Now I tried for for the Whiz. I was like, whoop, didn't work out? Why is Wayne not in the show? Long story? Were you a Monty Python? I go at all did you? Did you? Yes? Monty Python came in my mind. It was like a junior year when I started hanging out with all of the white kids in the drama department. Yeah, and I discovered Monty Python on PBS Monty Python and another Bent Towers, Benny Hill, Faulty Towers. There was a sketch group called the Goodies, and that's where I learned a lot about sketch and an absurdist humor from from watching Monty Python. Where you you to your sketchy missed the show? Did you all day? Okay?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can I tell you all right? Four days ago.
Speaker 2: Was David Cross's sixtieth birthday, and they organized a live Mister Show reunion across Odin Kirk like the main the main five of the show. They just got on stage and just and it wasn't even planned.
Speaker 1: But do you know if it's true because I kind of know this guy's name, but I forget I did a show with him once years and years ago before. Who's line called uh called quick Wits based out out of Chicago. There's one guy who was in the Mister Show cast, so I forget his name. So if you know the Mister Show line up, tall dark haired guy, the real tall one, real tall. He was supposedly right, like I'm saying, allegedly because this was what was going around and they posted his picture he was at January sixth. What. Yes, that's why I say, that's why we got to look that up because I'm not said because I don't want to go everything. It's like, well, Wayne Brady said, assume me. You know what yo? I read that in Huffington Post. Yes, maybe three weeks ago or a month ago or something like that. Because they are right, because they're persecuting all of those cats like they they're actually going through the rolodex and I remember being so shocked because you know, in our little world of arts and actors and singers were liberal and we love and so we're so foreign to know that I sat down and broke bread with and we made funny and said stupid jokes together would be at the capitol like burn it down. I was like, what does that have to do with the jokes you made on mister show.
Speaker 2: Wow in air quotes one of the projects I'm working on, like all, the common denominator of all the projects I'm working on is all my interview subjects are like over the age of seventy five, And some of them will stick to the subject for which I'm asking them, and then some will somehow use the question i'm asking to pivot into other areas. That one particular guy was just burning to let me know that, you know, when I started blah blah blah blah blah, Yeah, you know, I was. I was a liberal Democrat, but you know, after so many years of making fun of Ronald Reagan, then suddenly boom, like you know, I'm proud to say I'm maga and all this stuff and just it just it when he's super rogan. I was like, No, I just wanted to know, like, did you like grilled cheese sandwich?
Speaker 1: Well? I liked him when America was great. Yeah, that's when I liked it. Tasted so much better. Nobody ever burnt their toast that wasn't black. Yes, sneaking across the border, trying to jump in my soup, making racist analogies to food, any reason to go there? Yeah? So, what, in your opinion, is the best cereal of all time? Easy cinnamon toast crunch. But now it is here?
Speaker 2: Here is my Wait, you're a Semon tooa'st crunch guy. I love cinnamon toa seach everyone that I asked this question to. For me, there's two generations of the seventies. I'm a seventy one guy, so I feel like i'm the I'm seventy two, right, so you're supposed to be on my side of the fence. Every Semon Toast crunch guy person I know is post seventy six, Like, well, what's your cereal? I'm a Captain crunch person. Okay, not crunch berries, just captain. Oh really, I'm peanut butter. Captain crunch peanut butter. Okay, see you said the best.
Speaker 1: Now if you would have said, Wayne, what's your pantheon of cereals? I would have said, that's a big word. They like stand up up here would have said cinnamon toast crunch. I feel seen because I love the hack that I eat cinnamon toast crunch with with with lucky charms or sugar frosted. Oh, I mixed cereals. You feel like a genius. All of the cereals that my mom either couldn't get me or couldn't afford. I made the decision when I moved out of the house at the age of twenty, I will always buy my cereals. I have a cereal thing open. I can open you see what's happening to do all I want to do? Man, this this this old Jacob and saw in the in the good years. Is incredible that before they went down here before the tiff, right right before this, can you know? And there and you need to find the third brother a friend Snap Peanut butter Captain Crunch. It's the best one because of how it made the milk. I couldn't eat crunch beerries because it was too much of it was too much of a berry taste. So I like to mix all of the cereals. We're the same person, man.
Speaker 2: Like when I first started touring, the Beastie Boys taught me everything about touring and so at Rock and Mike d taught me how to like give them a rider ride give it to you. And they told me, like, when you get a writer, make sure you get toothbrush and toothpastes. Every city, always get a liquid soap. Get Like, they told me everything to get, and they said especially ask for like food items that aren't backstage food stuff so you can eat on the tour bus. And dude, the level like I now know how I ballooned up to four hundred and thirty pounds back in the day is because I would come home with at least seventy boxes of cereal intact, Like I just I took it to the wrong level.
Speaker 1: So that's what I call being grown, is the fact that I can eat whatever cereal that I want to. That is such a joy, that joy. Yep. Wow?
Speaker 2: All right, can you name me your childhood bully?
Speaker 1: Wow? That? Yes, these are random questions.
Speaker 2: This is good.
Speaker 1: This is good, okay, because I always get caught up in do you say names? Because you don't want folks to get mad but I'm not saying you know what, I'm not saying anything that isn't true, and it's my recollection you don't want to name.
Speaker 3: He's gonna come kick yours.
Speaker 1: No, not now, not now. We're both too old to be fighting. B I'm strong as hell, and see I got lawyers, so d fuck y'all. So so so yeah, Actually this is a two part question. Okay. The real question is talk ship to your child of bullies for ten seconds.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 1: All right, So it depends on Okay, so physic. I wrote this whole story that I've done on stage stage about one girl named named Tisa, and I don't believe that she she's no longer with us, So I'm not speaking ill of the dead. I'm just no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, not Tisa. Nicki named Nicki.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: She lived had a corner. Tisa lived across from me, Tisa Grady lived in the other house, and uh and Niki lived over here. Nicki was one of those girls that she was just an exceptionally tall girl at an early age, but even when we were teenager, she was still I was like, oh you you are bigger than me, and did so for whatever reason, I didn't fit into this this one thing, and it was popular to make fun of me because I had my grandparents accent and so and yeah and so. At that point, the Jamaicans and Haitians were coming over to Florida, and so they would sing the uh oh, Wayne, you're Jamaic make and I was like, I'm not Jamaican about Jamaica. Funk, that's what and do all this ship and add out fighting and blah blah blah. Know, the best way to make a bully happy is to talk back, so they have and excuse to fight you. Nicki was a bully. I'm not saying Nicki was a bad person. We were kids. I will say that, Hey, it's okay, y'all were kids. Nicki would fight me becuz, hey, I'm gonna pick on the smaller kid because I was also small form age until to land'm like growth spurt. So she would like to fight me until the day when she chased me up into my yard into my door. Mama Mama let me in, and my grandmother looked outside. She said, no, Wayne, what's wrong with you? Mama? Nicki's fighting me. He said, you run back outside and you beat to us. So I was like, and up until that point, they never hit a girl. You don't fight, it's beneath you don't fight, blah blah blah. But now she's telling me to fight. So that was the first time that I got and I took a stick and the fight ended. Because I'm so glad that, yeah, because I'm not good because even in real life, who anybody's like, come on, bro, I got if you are threatening my life, then we need to end it quickly so I can go back to my family. So Nikki bullied me. We had an issue. There was a dude named Anthony. Anthony also bullied me.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: He would say, all sorts of ship try to and a dude named Alan try to push me up against the locker. Alan Alan Anthony the Preacher's kid.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Julian Julian the Julian was trying to make up for stuff, you know, because Julian was light skinned, so Julian had to act always the light skin dude. He's like, but you so, so I remember Julian tried to fight me when I got off the busk of somebody.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: You said, Joe, mama, Oh you said, my mama. I didn't his as he says, I'm gonna beat you. Julian, you don't have to do this. I have to do this, and then we got into a fight. So Julian, to those guys and now here's the ten seconds of talking ship. I forgive you because we were kids. But here's the thing. This is that they knew who you are now. Oh yeah, okay, oh yeah, like Tangela Park Yeah oh yeah, yeah yeah. So look, the thing is, I don't hold one piece of a grudge against anybody who was a childhood bully, because I've now learned everybody was going through their own thing. So I hope that each of you we're all in our fifties now, I'm still younger than y'all because I skipped the great because I'm smart as hell. So so I wish you all the very best, and I hope that your lives have been awesome, and that when you talk to your kids, your friends, hey, I know that dude on TV, remind them that you were the dude that shoved me up against the locker, that made me want to become successful, that I left Orlando for, that have moved out to LA that I kicked ass and now I do what I do, so thank you very much. So my talking shit is actually gratitude. Yeah bars, what's up, y'all? Says on paying bill stopping Part one there? Because well, come on, stay tuned for part two of Wayne Brady ow Questlove SUPREMI.
Speaker 6: Nex Week or look at your podcast. In that he talks about the fame Tell's schedule, working on whose line is it anyway? And its four a in the game show hosting. I've known Wayne for many years and there's so much I've learned in this in studio sit down. The whole team thoroughly enjoyed this, oh last thing. If you listen this far, please rate, review, subscribe, and spread the word about Questlove Supreme.
Speaker 1: You all make this possible.
Speaker 2: Peace West Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.