Speaker 1: Joining us now on Bucco Banter is newly acquired Piri infielder Jacob Gonzalez.
Speaker 2: Jacob, welcome to the show Man.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: What's it been like so far adjusting to a new team.
Speaker 3: It's been kind of crazy because show up in the middle of a doubleheader, meet the guys in the in the win line, giving high fives, right, and then just playing two games.
Speaker 4: I mean I didn't.
Speaker 3: I only got into the second game, but then going on break, so then I trying to remember everyone's name while I'm gone for three days, four days, and then coming back and now we're in it again and excited to play.
Speaker 5: Jacob, let's take it back to college twenty twenty two College World Series. That was awesome getting to experience that. How did coach Bianco and ole miss prepare you for pro ball?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean they What really prepared me for pro ball was not knowing anything until the night before. I didn't. I thought it was bad in college until I got into pro ball.
Speaker 4: You really don't know anything when you're.
Speaker 3: Here until right before. But it was good, like he prepared us, like practices, games like I mean, I definitely felt more prepared coming from college than I did coming out of high.
Speaker 2: School any trash hocke yet with mangum uh.
Speaker 3: He said, he said, he forgives me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, well what's it?
Speaker 1: What was the journey, like, I mean from getting drafted to debuting this year, talk about the adjustments that you had to make and what you've learned overall in your pro ball journey so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So my first two four years pro ball, I wasn't the best. I put in like below average seasons, but I was the whole time. I was trying to figure out like I set up in my swing and like lining my body up is coming out of college. I was when I wouldstride outstride and then my hips would go towards the space dug out before I started swinging. So I was losing space and I was disconnected. So for two years I was trying to figure it out. And the last week of the season in twenty five so last year, I my dad had been telling me to start trying to stride closed.
Speaker 4: Maybe it'll line me up. And I was like, I.
Speaker 3: Can't strike close, like I'm going to strike towards the ball, Like that's not normal. And he showed me videos with like Alec Thomas and Corbett Carrol and he had been telling me to do this like since the beginning of the year. Last week of the season, I was like.
Speaker 4: Fine, I'll try it. Like I'm already not doing.
Speaker 3: The best, might as well try something. And it was like a light bulb moment for us. And so once I started closed, my hips like were almost like were better than it's ever been without doing anything other than stepping just barely closed, and my hips were able to turn correctly. So they really made the off season more free. Rather than trying to figure something out, we had it like kind of figured out, and then we were just I was able to just work on other things. So and then coming into the off season are coming into screen training and getting with the White Sauce guys and having the conversation of like what I want they want, mixing them and getting to where we're at now.
Speaker 5: Going back to the day of the trade, you you got taken out of a triple A game in Charlotte. I actually called him at the moment I saw on Twitter. I was like, I think we're gonna get Jacob Gonzalez because the talk about trigging that thirty fourth pick was ramping up, especially the day before the draft. But talk about the emotions hearing that you got traded. What was going through the mind at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was a crazy day. I got options the day before and I had asked to get back to playing over the weekend before the break and triple A so flew back. Then I landed at midnight, woke up, did a normal day, started getting ready for the game, played three two and a half innings, and get pulled and they pointed at me and I had to like, turn around, make sure he's playing that.
Speaker 2: Guy behind you, Like are you sure?
Speaker 3: So then I ran off, thinking someone got hurt, because that's the only way you can go back up. I didn't even think trade. And I get in the locker room and our and our trainers like, hey, just stay by your phone. I'm like, oh, so something's happening, not someone didn't get hurt. I mean, it was pretty crazy. I sat in the locker room for like two and a half hours before I got told I was traded, So just wondering, Yeah, just sitting there talking in the details, Yeah, just watching our game, watching the White Sox game, and just talking with whoever was passing through the clubhouse and then I got told and it was cool. It's cool. It's a cool feeling to be like feel be wondered that guys, so, and I was just excited once I found out.
Speaker 1: What's been the initial conversations with either Ben Charing, Dane or Donny Kelly anyone on the staff about your role that you're playing with the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think any into the spot, I could play for.
Speaker 4: Anyone the break.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure on the roll, but I'm just here to try to help us win.
Speaker 5: Speaking of that, I mean you spent time all over the infielder zero space that you feel most comfortable.
Speaker 3: At, Yeah, for sure, shortstop and then the middle. But I mean I got to play thirty some games at first base this year, so I mean I would say all four are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Going back to your swing in the approach, what are you looking for on a day to day basis? Are you going into analytics and game tape on opposing pictures? Is it more of a feel thing for you?
Speaker 3: Walk us through that, like are you saying my swing or like like your approach? Oh? Yeah, I mean I do my routine to just get to feel what I want to feel. And then in the game, I don't think about anything other than like, all right, it's mostly beyond time for the fastball and just compete up there?
Speaker 1: Does the stride itself, like when you're closed off, allow you to stay through the zone a little bit longer and create more space?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So how the best example is when I strike close my hips turned correctly. When I was striking.
Speaker 4: Normal, I would go this, my butt would.
Speaker 3: Come this way, and then I would turn, so I'd be losing connection. So like instead of being here, i'd be here, so I lose connection. So I don't know, just worked and I have been stopped.
Speaker 5: Since every prospecting young player faces adversity at some point in your career, you talked about facing it earlier on how important is the mental side of the game to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the bet the The thing for me with the two years of struggling was like I would show flashes of doing like like good while not doing good, like I never felt good in the like I felt good in the box, but like I never felt like this was it but like so, and then I would should like do good with it. Then it would stop doing good, and so I mean, I just look at it like, if those are my bad years, then it's probably a good thing because it like it's some people's like good years.
Speaker 1: And so what are What's some stuff that pirates fans can learn about you? Any hobbies off the field, stuff you do on your off days.
Speaker 3: Hang out with my wife, play video games?
Speaker 2: What are you playing?
Speaker 3: College football? Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who are you running with? Just little alma mater?
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's too easy. I'll go right now. In college football twenty seven? I got Eastern Michigan rebuild.
Speaker 5: Oh are you the coach?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, I love that. Are we upset with Lane Kiffin?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I mean he wanted to leave.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't blame like, not that I don't blame it, but like if he doesn't want to be here, then he's fine.
Speaker 4: Go like, yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm not too worried about it, Jacob.
Speaker 5: Last question for me, how exciting is it to join this organization that's building around the young core you could that you can add to like a Connor Griffin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this it's a cool, cool team to join right now. There, It's definitely a cool situation coming from the previous years to now and we're in a we're in a good spot to make a run out of this thing.
Speaker 2: What's the walkout song this year?
Speaker 3: I got Can't Tell It All by OV and I think it's like lacree.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha?
Speaker 1: Is there a process you go through like bumping it in the car through the offseason thinking about it?
Speaker 3: My wife picked it for me last year and I've just been running with this since.
Speaker 6: Beth Seats had the parents getting let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see? Is alloyan to my date? To my dates? Or the stick by the plate City