Speaker 1: Decided to take those matters into my own hands and say, you know what, I got to figure out because I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to live. Not only do I want to live the.
Speaker 1: Lifestyle that I've become accustomed to, I want to make sure that now as a parent, I set a foundation so my children can even start out better than I am.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Money Moves powered by Greenwood, a finance podcast dedicated to dropping all the knowledge and gems from the world's leading celebrities, entrepreneurs and experts, and tech, business and more. I'm your host, angel investor, technology enthusiast, and media personality Tanya Sam. Each week, we talk with guests who are making significant strides in their fields and learn how they are making their money move. If you're someone who's looking to make your money move, you're in the right place, So open up your notes app and lock us in, because this podcast will give you the keys to the kingdom of financial stability, wealth and abundance you so rightly deserve. Before we start the episode, I'd like to remind you to check us out at gogreenwood dot com and follow us on social media at Greenwood and me on all Things Social at It's Tanya. Time to stay locked in too new episode. Hey, Moneymovers, get ready for a week of inspiration and empowerment. I'm your host, Tanya sam and our guest today is a true trailblazer who's been making waves on a global scale. She's not only shattered barriers, but established herself as a visionary entrepreneur and is now the chief of staff at Essence Ventures, with the focus on bridging gaps and fostering connections and finding money grants to fund your wildest business dream. She's defining industries and leaving a lasting impact. Money Movers, please welcome the International Boss.
Speaker 4: Barku Tubman Zavolo. Hi Barkoo, how are you?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 4: Tanya. I like that intro.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to keep that for something else.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like I had to chop it down a little bit because I also know you wear a lot of different hats and you have some other roles in there. So I'm leaving space for you to sprinkle in. And this is your time to humble brag because you are a multifaceted woman, And so tell me what I left out, because I know there's others in there, but I just took you know, your top roles here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean I think you captured just about everything I pride myself on. I like, the boss Lady is really the boss Lady is the Barku brand, right, and and it really it has a lot to do with not only your accomplishments, but also your journey to your accomplishment. So I think you know what we don't do sometimes as women, as boss ladies is give ourselves grace and credit for how we're even waking up, moving and thriving every day.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that I take pride and I have.
Speaker 1: A nonprofit in Liberia called the Boss Lady Effect, And what we do and what we say we do that we we take pride in is we're changing the world one boss girl at a time and helping young women understand that legacy starts with them.
Speaker 2: So that's that's one of the other things.
Speaker 1: And of course, as you mentioned, I'm the chiefless staff and diasporic engagement at Essence Ventures. Really exciting role as as a serial entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: When the opportunity came almost two.
Speaker 1: Years ago, I had not worked for anybody, but this is such a different opportunity first of all, Essence Communications means Essence Festival. I mean, like, you know, the the universe for black women globally, and I get to participate in my little way and contribute and be in service to this community.
Speaker 2: So it was, it was, it was amazing.
Speaker 1: And plus I get an opportunity to work with the amazing Caroline Wanga and Richel Dennis and the incredible team that that's there. So yeah, and that's that's I think you captured all of it.
Speaker 4: I mean so beautiful.
Speaker 3: And I love that you're starting us off on just encouraging our money movers audience. Like you know, sometimes as black women in particular, we don't give ourselves the grace the credit about how much we've done, how much it takes to do what we do. So listeners out there seriously like we are handclapping you all right now. I'm so excited to dive into your story. So I want to take us back because you know, in our little pregame preamble here, both of us recognize that we are neighbors because you know, my family comes from Ghana and you are from Liberia.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: So I want to go back to the very beginning of little Barku, tell us about how you grew up. And I want you to frame this because you know, what I think is so interesting about money moves is we always talk about generational wealth and like, you know how we were taught to think about money as children, the family sort of you know, whether or not they were good or bad legacies that were indoctrinated into us. So let's go back to your early days. And you grew up in Liberia or you were born there.
Speaker 1: This is this is how what I always say, I was born in Liberia, raised in America by very Liberian parents.
Speaker 2: Aha.
Speaker 1: So yes, I've been here for as long as I can remember. But I also remember growing up in like a my family left Liberia in nineteen eighty. There was a coup, there was a civil unrest in Liberia. My family, my father was in government. My grandfather was a president of Liberia.
Speaker 2: Well, yo, what she is.
Speaker 3: Saying, very you left Liberia like you were not you could not stay there?
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, right, So we were fortunate to be able to make it out of Liberia and we came to the United States.
Speaker 4: The interesting thing is, I mean I grew.
Speaker 2: Up extremely privileged.
Speaker 1: You know, you're from Africa and your family's from Africa, and for those in the diaspora that understand, you know what it means to have family in government. You know, you do live a pretty privileged life. But we did come to America and have to start all over again.
Speaker 2: Because one of the.
Speaker 1: Things that I think most of our most of our parents, and I when I find that when I talk to my other Liberian relatives and friends and even other Africans, is you know, I think they get so accustomed to how things you know were and are, that they don't for there not to be right.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you sort of grow up with everything, but when you come to America, you're who you were in Liberia doesn't translate to America. You know, my mom used to call my mom right, my mom calls America the great equalizer. Like, you know, everybody's got to show up. Everybody's got to work hard. Your last name or who you are or the click you in does not matter here. You really have to show up and do that work in order for anybody to do it. So I did grow up very fortunate, but coming to America at a young age with the parents that I have instilled hard work is really and integrity is really you know, how you you you survive and how you thrive. It's so funny because as I even talked about earlier, why my nonprofit does what it does and how you know. For me, the boss Lady title really is about your your whole self. Everything I do really speaks to myself or those people that may follow me or people that start to follow me on social media. If you see a comment, it really is me preaching to myself and trying to tell myself this is where. This is the headset, this is the mindset I need you to be in. Right now, you get it together right. You have done this because as you know, as you continue to climb the ladder of success, as you as driven as you are, when you're put in position, it's not always easy to show up so confident.
Speaker 2: What's exciting about is you tend to do scared?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, do it scared absolutely so.
Speaker 1: As a young as a young girl basically you know, just grew up very fortunate.
Speaker 2: My mom and dad were not married.
Speaker 1: I have I have a very I have a You have to excuse the lightning and thunder in the background. It just is what it is. You can't showers of blessings. Look will take it as that. But my parents weren't married. I come from a family, a very very African family. Actually, my father has six kids. I'm the youngest by three different women, and they might kill me when they hear but it's it's reality.
Speaker 3: And you know what I like to say, Like you know, on podcasts like this, all these pieces rest with different people.
Speaker 4: There's somebody else out there who's listening. It's like, oh, that sounds like my family.
Speaker 2: Tell me more.
Speaker 4: You know somebody else who was like huh.
Speaker 3: And so I just I love the truth because it's your truth is definitely somebody else's. And if not, you are informing other people on just your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and listen if you have a show where you're educating people. And I think in order for people to learn how to navigate where they are, is they if I'm going to jump on, it's really important that I'm on right, It's really important that I'm honest.
Speaker 2: But but but.
Speaker 1: I think that I had an amazed both my parents and my stepmother, They're all amazing. And then of course by extension, we have second parents, the aunts and the uncles, you know, because in Africa, and as we grew up, even as we lived in America, even more so, it took a village. And so just growing up just really really was forced to just you know, it's all about do good in school, do good in school, right, and it's got to you know, who wants to be the doctor, the lawyers and all the traditional beings.
Speaker 3: I grew up and like this is where I feel like, you know, I overstand being first generation. I was born in Canada. However, my older brothers and sisters were born in Ghana, and my dad similar background. His dad was a civil servant, but he came to Canada to go to med school.
Speaker 4: And it was like just be a doctor.
Speaker 1: That's success, that's a savior money, Be a doctor, take care of my family. The interesting thing is when you talk about money management at an early age and now that I have children, I have six year old triplets by Praskuylar and kJ who owned me and ruled my life. We didn't get taught the money, you know, how to manage money, right. The sort of things were just there for you, right, they were star just there. And I think when I got older was when I decided to take those matters into my own hands and say, you know what, I got to figure out because I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to live.
Speaker 1: Not only do I want to live the lifestyle that I've become accustomed to, I want to make sure that now, as a parent, I set a foundation so my children can even start out better than I am.
Speaker 3: So I so, now you're growing up in New Jerseys that correct, So when we came to America.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I didn't give you that part. When we came to America, I actually grew up in Manhattan. I grew up on sixty fifth Street and Third Wow.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I went to the International School. Units loved it, and then I went to boarding school. I graduated from boarding school in Princeton at the Hunt School in Princeton, New Jersey.
Speaker 2: I'm a New Yorker.
Speaker 1: That's sort of my my, my sort of backstory Liberia America.
Speaker 2: It's I'm very much a worldly global citizen.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to today's episode. If we helped you make your money move, please share it with your community, Subscribe and leave us a review on iHeartRadio and Apple Podcasts. Follow us on social media at Greenwood, and visit us at gogreenwood dot com for more financial tips and remember money movers. If this were easy, everyone would do it. So take the lessons you've learned from this episode and apply it to your life. Money Moves is an iHeartRadio podcast powered by Greenwood Executive produced by Sunwise Media. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts from.
Speaker 4: Make sure to.
Speaker 3: Tune in Monday, Wednesday and Friday and subscribe to the Money Moose podcast powered by Greenwood, so that you too can have the keys to financial freedom you so rightly deserve.
Speaker 4: Until next time,