Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you, And that's where you're really in this podcast, Parma Dish. This is so fun.
Speaker 2: This is the high school moment of all high school moments. Everything leads to junior prom. Like it says in one of the scenes, you can only go to junior junior problem once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a ton of times. Did you have a junior problem?
Speaker 2: No. I went to this high school that was at a community college and a junior and senior year, and there were like seventy kids in my class, so there weren't any extracurricular sad activities. Yeah, we were in those like portable buildings behind the college. So I think we did convince some senior year to throw some sort of like formal ish, but that was as close as I got.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes, I never went to a prom.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, you didn't really miss that. No.
Speaker 2: I had several problems on Glee.
Speaker 1: The build up and the anticipation were also way more. The stakes were much higher than the actual problems themselves in real life.
Speaker 2: To be I also think that the pressure of figuring out if you weren't in a relationship. Figuring out who you're girling with terrible sounds like a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a way for kids to feel left out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know in high school you need more reasons to feel left out.
Speaker 1: Exactly. That's what you're missing exactly. Okay, so there's some stuff that happened in the world. But before I do that, this is episode twenty Kevin of season two, and the air day was May tenth, twenty eleven, and each was still the number one song. We need to get off there.
Speaker 2: It's a great Now, let me tell you this is I believe her biggest song.
Speaker 1: Get out of here. That is not true, and it shouldn't be true. I think it's this and dark Horse are her biggest song. Stupid those dude that I hate the.
Speaker 2: Same dark Horse. I think it is her biggest song.
Speaker 1: No, you stop right now.
Speaker 2: I think this is her longest running one at number one. Yeah, it's pretty insane.
Speaker 1: Of all the Katie Fairy songs. Okay, so cratty, Okay, there is this is a moment. I have seen the number one movie for the first time. Damn, it's the It's such a good movie. What a great film, and what a great trilogy of films to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you seen all the Thorn movies?
Speaker 1: Hell? Yeah, I didn't know you were a Thor girl like that. I'm a Marvel girl. So if we have by default, if there's nothing on it and it's not Harry Potter, we're putting on a Marvel movie. Really, oh always. Yeah, we watched a lot of Marvel, a lot of Avengers because they're just so easy to watch. You can just put any more end game. I don't love Age of Ultront as much. Don't tell, but I yeah, we watch a lot of Marvel. Okay, this week? May sixteen, thoughts nown that Glee Season three was a part of their eleven and twelve fall and spring programming. The Upfronts. Yeah, we got picked up Surprise, Surprise, and this is the Upfronts in New York City, which was one of my favorite times of the year. We would go to New York City in May and you basically parade yourself around first advertisers to buy a third out Fronts so no longer had to perform. Darren performed with the Warbler. Is that right? This is our third one?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At this point, you us women learned that you can have a costume change, so you go to the upfronts and then after that you change for the party for the red carpet. So I did have two outfits in this one. And I'm trying to remember the actress's name. She I think she was on New Girl or something was actually in the same dress as me. Or I was in the same dress as you dress. Uh huh the for the first party.
Speaker 2: It looks like that dress that people can't tell what color it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is the blue and white or the other anyway, So I'm glad I changed so we weren't wearing the same dress the whole night. I love the upfronts. It was just a party and I have a fun, fun time in New York City for free.
Speaker 2: We made a lot of memories at all these upfronts. That's why there was a lot of like schmoozing and shaking hands going on. But then we all got very rity.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, and I like, honestly, a free trip to New York City to see my family in like you flew first class, because that's that was just the way back then. It's really special. I missed first class.
Speaker 2: You gotta treat yourself. Jenna like, well, it's better when you're not paying for it obviously expensive these days inflation. So our prom episodes, we've talked about how our editor then director Brad Beeker ended up directing most of the competition episodes. Eric Stolts because he did such a good job with this one. I feel like he always did the prom.
Speaker 1: Episodes, always got prom Yeah, he was efficient, he got it done. But I was actually talking to one of the background actors, like the recurring background actors today the strike, and they are saying how Eric was the one of the only directors that actually gave the background actress direction.
Speaker 2: Is what you said?
Speaker 1: And you're right, yeah, and he really And so Eric always sid there was always interesting things going on and prom everywhere you looked on camera.
Speaker 2: It felt so much like an eighties teen movie in that way where it felt real, it felt and no matter what scene was going on in the school at that time, it felt energized because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well Eric was born in the eighties scene, you know all those moves. Tell me about the music in this episode, Kemp.
Speaker 2: Some wild music. It is quite a collection. So rolling in the Deep, isn't she lovely? Friday Jar of hearts. I'm not going to teach your boyfriend how to dance with you and dancing queen.
Speaker 1: And some of them back to back, which is dialogue.
Speaker 2: I liked it. It felt like a little concert. It reminded me of all my favorite sort of like teen and kids movies that have concerts and them hm hmm, you know where they just sort of go back to back, like Grease had all those numbers and all those like you, I felt special like that.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it. I didn't remember Rolling in the Deep happening in this episode. Same, I didn't know she Lovely was in the prom episode.
Speaker 1: I remember that one, but I didn't remember Rolling in the Deep. That Jesse came back for this episode. That was a surprise.
Speaker 2: That was we'll talk about it. That was hilarious and weird, very strange, very strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a hodgepotch, but we're all it's all encompassing prompts. It's in anti a patient for prom.
Speaker 2: Also countdown to another competition. We're only three weeks away, and so you know, we can't be too distracted with prom but it helps us make money. Should we talk about some crazy fun facts that happened.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so many things.
Speaker 2: Remind us of what happened because there was okay, real life drama.
Speaker 1: Well let's first, I'd like to say that although New Directions was supposed to perform at prom, everybody Mike, Finn, Quinn, Lauren, Kurt All didn't perform a prom and Bert. This is Burt Holmo's last appearances as a series regular. He will become recur for the rest of the show, which is confusing to me. Crazy, but I think there were new cast members coming in and so they had to do some pumping. Okayet the big thing of this episode. And I was talking to Max Adler about this episode and he was like, oh my gosh, do you remember the leak? The leak Kevin? So there wasn't an extra on set? Who was at prom? Who then leaked? Who won prom? King and Queen of this episode spoiler alert, it's a big surprise. It was a big It was a non we were not expecting this reveal. There was a twist and the twist was leaked and then I remember this, and I remember everybody being pretty upset about this because this is like the beginning of social media, right, this is the beginning of the issue, like people having phones and being able to reach fans in a different way. And Brad Fouchuck clapped back pretty hard at this extra.
Speaker 2: If you don't know Brad, it takes a lot to kiss him off. Yeah, he is like the most easygoing, level headed person.
Speaker 1: And if I think about this, then we asked Brad. I didn't ask Brad, but I was. I was thinking, like why or how or what made him like tick with this? But his response was very protective. It was basically saying that there's a lot of hundreds of people who worked so hard to get this story made, and this episode made for one person to ruin it all for this for millions of people, it's so unfair, and it did it like stung because it's like, you know, that's not that's not your story to tell, uh huh. And so he the actually didn't end up apologizing. But you know, act before I think before you act.
Speaker 2: Can Yeah, you show up to set. There's like a code of conduct and professional tons of background actors every single day, tons and these things never leaked ever.
Speaker 1: And so tell you that that I watched the problem, watching the prom episode and all these bird eye views like shots that Eric did. There were so many extras, there.
Speaker 2: So many people, Yeah, in every shot a lot, but I love that. It just makes it feel so. I mean that room was so hot, being that gymnasium was so gross.
Speaker 1: And how many days were were we there?
Speaker 2: I agree, Oh yeah, I think so, and it was great, Like we would they would set up base camp sort of near this football field parking lot thing and we would have lounge chairs and some of us would sit out there and tan, oh my god, you're right because the prom is so actioned off where if you're not in the shot, it's not like if you're on the other side of the camera, you don't have to go in to do that because there's so many people in every single shot. So like when you're when Jenna was talking about how it's performance after performance. If you're to end the performance, go have fun. Eric Stolts was very much about what we're making our day and when you needed to be there. Story wise you were there, but otherwise.
Speaker 1: You were out. Yeah, like the Jesse Finn fight, like none of us were there. Well, maybe we were there in the turnaround because we all had to react, but anyway, other than that, Well said Kevin.
Speaker 2: Do you remember your fittings for this? The prom? Looks that was like a big thing, very exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I was always scared because Tina's wardrobe is Craig Gray, so it was always something really crazy. As we get into later seasons, I feel like I had more of a say. And then Tina's prom queen look in the carry prom that we had. I loved that one, but this one was very Tina, like, very down the line, very obvious Tina, with like the gnatting and everything. Did you like your prom outfits?
Speaker 2: I did. I was very excited about it. If I remember correctly, I believe this, like seventies red tucks was a Donnie Osmond outfit.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's funny.
Speaker 2: I feel I don't think I'm making that up. I think that's right now, that's right. It looks right like they used it for something. It was something like that, and I was very excited because it was not a sweater. For some reason. They curled my hair just the top of my hair, like my hair remember so straight, and it was pretty long on the side, so I had all these weird curls on top and then straight straight hair all around the rest.
Speaker 1: Of it, you know you were getting crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alreadie was dressing up, so we talked.
Speaker 1: About Brittany's look problem look her lime green and then the tiniest hat ever. Hat.
Speaker 2: All I thought about was RuPaul saying, it's a hat on a hat. She wasn't but I just kept thinking of drag Race. But looks like a hat. Somebody wearing drag Race.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: And the crew dressed up. The crew started dressing up in this problem.
Speaker 1: So this one, I think Eric came in his ruffel powder suit. Yes, And that was always fun for them and for us to like see.
Speaker 2: Them living up the day. The crew obviously is there a long time, and it just made it feel so special and fun. Everybody looked so good and it was cute and in between setups people were dancing and sad.
Speaker 1: Note do you remember when Brad Beaker started wearing wigs to work?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Especially in like late nights and competitions wigs to like he started He kept doing that on like Horror Story. When I shadowed him, he would bring the wag out and it was like just to remind yourself to like not take things so seriously. He would say so anyway, we'll talk about that at sometimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's junior prom at McKinley Figgins asked the League of to perform, while Quinn, Santana, and Lawrence also have their eye on the prom Queen Crown because this episode is named Prom Queen after all. Rachel, Mercedes, and Sam have a plan to attend prompt together, while Kurt asks Blain to be his date, and Artie is trying to win back Brittany. And plus surprise, Jesse Saint James comes back out of nowhere. I mean, for some hilarity, I might.
Speaker 1: Add, I don't remember John Graff coming back. I mean, obviously I do now after watching it, but I did not remember him coming back.
Speaker 2: I think, just to clarify, for these prom episodes, I have my memories of them. I remember all the parts. I don't remember which prom is which. Yes, so I wasn't sure which prom was one direction, which problem was Friday, which prom was Red Tucks, and so this episode really, obviously it was necessary to help reorganize the memories.
Speaker 1: I remember by the outfits, always by the outfits. Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I feel like for this episode too, that's everything leading up to prom, and then it's Prom because everything's so intertwined. So a lot's happening leading up to Prom, and air supply canceled, and Bigin says he can use the four hundred dollars he's going to pay them to give the new directions to perform because Will doesn't want to do it because they have nationals in three weeks, but the money is money and they need it. And Susan on the prom committee and of course thinks it's a terrible idea and then starts listing off the songs that she doesn't want and it's pretty hilarious.
Speaker 1: Number one being.
Speaker 2: Run, Joey Run, and then the match the hair mashup, which fair I think those were probably the most talked about as to like, are why why were those done?
Speaker 1: That is the question, all right. So the glee club gets together, Will's telling them they're going to perform it prom and Mercedes Uh basically ups and leaves the choir room because she doesn't have a date for prom, and Rachel follows her, which is like, kind of I'm surprised by it, but Rachel follows her out and Mercedes tells her that she just kind of she wants to be wined and I and feel beautiful and be told and go to a problem with somebody. So Rachel has his plan that since she doesn't have a date as well, they're going to ask Sam to go to a prom with them on a good will budget.
Speaker 2: It's such a cute. This whole plan is so cute and so redeeming for all the crazy shit Rachel says and does. This is really sweet.
Speaker 1: This is really sweet. So they give Sam alone to get a tux and they're going to get dresses and anyways, it's a cute little trio. Because it is super expensive to go to prom, that's the thing. It's like, I remember wearing my sweet sixteen dress, which is also a very expensive mini wedding essentially that you have a big party wing you turn sixteen. It's crazy, And I use that dress for junior prom because they're not buying you another four hundred dollars fair enough. Yeah, the dresses were a thing, Like I remember when I went to my dress at this like store, they would write down what school and what dress so that two girls wouldn't show up in the same dress. So if you picked out a dress that somebody else picked out. They'd be like, just you know, blah blah blah bought this dress as well.
Speaker 2: So serious, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's just high stakes. It's that high school thing that we talked about though, you know where it's like all these minuscule things feel like so high stakes.
Speaker 2: I felt so bad. I went to two formals like winter formals, and felt so bad asking my parents to like rinds of tucks, like all this shit is so expensive and people could do the colms.
Speaker 1: I just can't. It's too much. It's all too much.
Speaker 2: That's why it was so sweet. They're like, we're going to go to Goodwill, We'll walk to prom, We're going to go to.
Speaker 1: The pasta special breadsticks.
Speaker 2: It's really sweet, big fan, I have so many questions about the scene with Rachel practicing for prom doing a song. She doesn't end up doing it prom.
Speaker 1: Right, well, obviously because they perform it there. Yeah, and she's rolling in the deep.
Speaker 2: She's rolling in the deep and Jesse Saint James comes in halfway through the first verse out of nowhere at the back of the theater. But even more surprising are all the kids painty and gluing and building the set on the stage, start doing these beautiful backgrounds.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why they needed them, They needed these people. It's very strange. I bet you that was an Eric Stultz move as well, being like I hear the track, there's people here, they need to be here.
Speaker 2: But it's just like, oh so everyone can sing in beautiful like three part harmony at this school.
Speaker 1: Off the cuff because she's like, I'm about to rehearse, just let me know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you said, why are we in the glee club? They sound better than we do.
Speaker 1: It's true, isn't the glee club supposed to be? Right? It was very weird, all right. So Jesse comes back because he's swunk out of college. Funny he didn't know that he had to go to classes because he was majoring in show choir.
Speaker 2: Q racist Asian joke.
Speaker 1: Well that's not the first and it won't be the last. So so Jesse's back and he's going to go to prop with Rachel, and he's going to go with the court. He's going to be the quartet, yes, with Rachel and Mercedes and Sam foreshadowing for Mercedes and Sam, Sam sadies and then Finn says he doesn't trust him and obviously that he still cares about Rachel, and she just says, you got to be supportive of me, and she's going to be supportive of him and Quinn. And then Finn gets a nice corsage for Quinn and listens to Rachel's advice.
Speaker 2: Anyway, most importantly is the scene when they all meet up at bread Sticks.
Speaker 1: I'm we loved bread Sticks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this little like back and forth between Finn and Jesse is really great.
Speaker 1: Love that.
Speaker 2: I wish there was more of that, honestly, just these like quick one liners insulting each other between them. We get it from other characters a lot, right, but Finn doesn't do that right.
Speaker 1: And also like a little love triangle, yeah or yeah, a love triangle.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves everybody. It's very confusing.
Speaker 1: So Kurt is going to ask Blaine to go a problem with him, but Blaine is worried. Blaine is worried because he had a bad experience at Dalton with the Citie Hawkins stands, and so before oh really, yes, right, because don't do that. There's zero tolerance zero Yeah. Oh my gosh, even when I watch it, I still don't know.
Speaker 2: No immedia literacy is hard.
Speaker 1: It's the school that he attended before A d Alton, and he's nervous. But Kurt obviously says like this, this makes me uncomfortable. We're not going to do it. But they go They're going to go to a prom together. It's very cute.
Speaker 2: That was also very understanding and the impetus for him agreeing to go, you know, yes, definitely.
Speaker 1: And then Blaine and Finn Bird have this really cute scene were Kurt is showing them his promo outfit and Bird, of course being Bird, is like, look, I want you to be whoever you want to be, but I just think you're you're calling You're calling attention to yourself. Yeah, and it's like asking for it too, yeah, And Blaine's like, look, I don't want to ask for anything else, especially from what I've been through. It's a kilt by the way. It's very cute, and Finn says he thinks it's awesome, like a Gape Ray part. But this is nice because you get to see Kurt actually feeling confident and like coming into himself in a way where he's not backing down and he's going to do it and he's gonna wear this outfit, and I just I like seeing Kurt's confidence and I feel like that's a big part is because of Blaine.
Speaker 2: And I think it's also like a fair and realistic question to ask, isn't it to bring up of what is going to be the reaction for your safety?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Well, and speaking of safety, Santanah it's going to protect him with a full security detail from the bully whips.
Speaker 2: Which is so cute, and her talking so loudly. I mean, she doesn't really care about the safety. She likes how it looks for her chances at prom Queen.
Speaker 1: Of course. But Krowsky does take it seriously.
Speaker 2: Krowsky here breaks down and cries, Yeah, and profusely, you know, admits how apologizes and how bad he feels for treating Kurt so terribly. But he's in public, right, I mean, the scene is happening as the bell rings and people are going into class.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's also it's like, bro, oh, you're so worried about all this that you're crying in the hallway. I was thinking that, and normally Eric will be wary of that, yeah, and they'd be like whispering. So I feel like there weren't a lot of people in the hallway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think. I think a bell sounded and then people sort it dispersed while it was happening. Okay, but it was a really it's still a scene. Yeah, and it's amazing to it's a testament to Eric the writing and the two of him of how quickly the narrative can change. That's a it's a quick scene. It's in just a couple of lines. They've sort of amended, you know, mended their relationship.
Speaker 1: Right, well a bit, No, I agree, And I think it's it's nice, especially like the historyline that Crofts He's gonna happen. I just genuinely like it's the nicest see a care character with like this really good arc. Yes, you know, it's very touching and real, and I just felt so bad for him for a Krofsky when he was like crying like that, that he felt so bad the way he treated Kurt. That on you, Max Adler, Good on your teen Gay.
Speaker 2: You may now proceed to the next checkpoint. I would like to keep track of Santana line. I mean, I feel like when we get to the end, it's just going to be Santana one liners because she says some crazy shit, really good, really good stuff. Okay, the last pre prom date stuff is already in puck Mmmm. Puck tries to enlist Artie's help in spiking the punch to keep his bad reputation because he's been dating Lauren and running for prom king and there's sort of a underground prom king that he wants and he's like Alreatie says no because he's trying to get Britney back because he doesn't have a date to prom and he feels really bad about calling her stupid, as he should, so he It was into Home Mech. I also wish we saw more of Home Mech because that class looked fun. All of you were in it, really great stuff. Artie sayings, isn't she lovely? In fact, gets excited about a proposal, all of you playing your little instruments in it. It was really adorable.
Speaker 1: It was very cute. I felt involved instead of just standing there watching you. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone had like a little something to do. It was cute and it felt like a good promposal, a more realistic proposal.
Speaker 1: Well there's a lot, yeah, because proposals are a thing.
Speaker 2: Hey, totally yeah, And I gotta say, I gotta hand it to Brittany, because Britney stands a ground and says, no.
Speaker 1: Well you know what you really did at this time?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't know. I don't see how you come back from that, you don't. It seemed like it was on both of their parts, him accepting to know, her saying no. It felt very mature.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And also just Brittany being solo a prom is very funny, Yes, very very funny. Did you like singing? Isn't she lovely? Did you like recording it? Do you have any memories from it? See?
Speaker 2: This is another like acoustic song and the whole thing being acapella. The first third of it being a cappella was so nerve racking. It's Stevie Wonder. Yeah, like was not No, nobody wants to sing Stevie Wonder because nobody can do that. But and I loved the version because it wasn't trying to really be Stevie Wonder version. I felt like a really special scene in moment. Yeah, so I ended up being one of my favorites. Yeah, I really do like it. And you we've sung it places together.
Speaker 1: That's right. Your vocals vocal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never knew the lyrics. It's hard to remember lyrics. It's okay. Yeah, and it is about a baby.
Speaker 1: Hmm, you just about a baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very sweet. Let's get to prompt.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: So there's that breadsticks moment with a run in between every the foursome and Jesse and Rachel. Also Rachel's line of.
Speaker 1: Talk.
Speaker 2: Jesse talking about the recession again. Here's the second episode addressing the recession? What's going on? And he's so smart. I can't believe he flunked out of college. I loved it.
Speaker 1: He loved it. I loved it. So then you guys perform Friday, we sure do man, and you get the crowd going, yeah. Uh, I gotta tell you this song is a weird one. Obviously, we know this a confusing number, a confusing song in general. But you the way you guys do it is very charming and very cute. Yeah, it seems like you guys had a good time doing this on tour. Did you have a good time doing this at prop?
Speaker 2: I had more fun doing it at prom than on tour. Actually it felt I think I was like overly precious about the show, and you forget the satire. And I think with success and the song's doing well, caring about how you sound and think you're always gonna sound good. They make you sound good no matter what. They get the best vocal out of you. But I felt like, this is so silly that we're doing this song. It felt wrong. Oh that's interesting, but I just think I was totally over precious about the whole thing. Watching it, I think it totally works, makes a lot of sense, and everybody was super into it and of course high school students would enjoy this, right, I was being way too serious.
Speaker 1: Right, I yeah, And I think like it makes sense watching it back because it's it's it was something so viral. Yeah, and that's Ryan's thing, you know. He takes pop culture and he like turns on his head and makes it work in the show. Apparently in the behind the scenes interviews for this for prom Mark suggested this, which it seems right. And then apparently Mark and Court also did up the choreography for this. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: I don't remember it, but that all feels right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely feels right. And also you're wrapping, you're rapping again.
Speaker 2: That rap is crazy, absolutely insane. It makes no sense. Well, yeah, doing this on tour was a total mess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember that. What's the deal. It was thrown it, it was added right, and then it was up to us to sort of figure it out because there was no choreography or anything, and so it was Cord and Mark playing it live on their guitars.
Speaker 1: There were.
Speaker 2: No one was keeping time. They would start playing at different rhythms were We didn't really practice it that much. It was just a mess, and I felt so embarrassed. I have nothing really to do with the song. It was more of these people came here to see a show, and we're putting on this, right it felt.
Speaker 1: Did you guys continue to do it?
Speaker 2: Did you cut it? No, it got cut at some point. It needed to. It sounded we sounded like dying CAATs. No, yeah, it was bad. Apologies if you saw it. I have no explanation. It just didn't. We were worried putting it about, you know, putting on the full production of the tour, and that was a pure afterthought.
Speaker 1: So I thought, yeah, yeah, I love that. They needed more time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we needed to kill time to get you guys.
Speaker 1: To single ladies. Yeah, stage, which was very far away. Okay, we digressed, so then we go into oh, okay, so then so then you get caught already gets caught. This is so fun. Did you have so much fun doing this? I was so nervous. It was my first scene with Jane. Oh, I would be nervous too, and it was.
Speaker 2: Just us in a dark room and I was trying. I was like, I can't laugh. It's just me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: She's the nicest person, but she's also very good. She doesn't really mess up. She gets her shipped down. She is hilarious. Everything she needs to be, she doesn't. Every take is good, you know. And I didn't want to be the one dragging the scene down. So it was very very fun and I felt like I could just try to keep up with her in a way.
Speaker 1: It's very funny. It's very funny. And also her pulling out the the dental kit and the gentle cleaning, which is like a wrench for a tooth. It was just it was all very wild and she's dentist out there. For some reason, that scene reminds me of the Bad Reputation episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah to the lighting, that dark lighting, and yeah, we get another scene. At some point, I don't know when it is. That's when she calls me a muppet. I thought it was this one.
Speaker 1: Some of her nicknames for you or were out of this world.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she called me legs in this one.
Speaker 1: There's something else too, and I was like, oh yeah, pretty, and you end up not really puss taking lemonade. You put lemonade in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because they felt bad and sweet Artie.
Speaker 1: Artie is an idiot, well sometimes and then he did call pretty stupid, so it doesn't you know, sometimes we have to think before we speak, Artie.
Speaker 2: He doesn't.
Speaker 1: Kevin, okay, Rachel performs Strive hearts She's clearly singing to Finn the whole time.
Speaker 2: It's very uncomfortable and so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I also will never forget this number, having to make it with Harry probably four or five times at three minute lengths. Yeah, it was too much.
Speaker 2: Too much. It really takes the you know when people ask about intimate scenes, and this is a good example of how it's not sexy.
Speaker 1: And like we would be laughing into each other's mouths basically while we were kissing, just laughing because we're like, this is ridiculous and then because you're kissing, you can't even look up to see if the camera's on you, because, like you know, if you're in the background and the cameras turned around somewhere Andrew Mitchell's kind of walking around and you're not in it, you don't have to do it. But because we couldn't see, we just had to keep kissing. Fun back to background. Actors get an extra twenty five dollars if they have to kiss some money, And a lot of people were kissing, and a lot of people were kissing, you know what. Thank you there exults for those.
Speaker 2: I didn't know they got paid more.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like say, essentially yeah, I mean, especially now after COVID, it's like they should be getting a lot more than that.
Speaker 2: But I'd be so scared to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't think I would.
Speaker 2: It felt it always felt really uncomfortable too, because it's here are two strangers clearly making out all day and.
Speaker 1: They yeah, yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: I felt bad. So we have another performance of Blaine, Tina and Brittany doing I'm not gonna teach you how to how your boyfriend had to dance with you? M random, random, but I gotta say, I think it's one of my favorite Blaine songs.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 2: I think his voice. I think it's hard to like do this type of I don't know, it's like sing songy talkie thing, and he does it very well.
Speaker 1: He does do it very well, and he just really got the crowd going. So that was fun. I remember being thrown into this number as well, and I let you on stage like trying to remember what was happening, all the backgrounds and the dancing, and I think we were seen in it for about five seconds.
Speaker 2: But you guys go so hard every time it cuts to you. You guys are really going for it. Well how that just brings out the best and everybody. So I loved Heather episodems. Yeah, it's a good episode for Heather. And then this fight, oh my god, this brawl and just these boys, you know, this toxic masculinity. What are we going to do about it?
Speaker 1: To kick them out? Kick them out? They start a fight there, the throne punches and Sue kicks them out. And then and Queen's obviously very upset because, yeah, her her dreams of being a prom queen are destroyed. And then we had prom King and Queen that happened they announced it, because there's a lot that unfolds.
Speaker 2: Because I never went to prompt? How did this work in I r L It didn't. This wasn't a thing.
Speaker 1: No, didn't they.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've seen videos of this happening at like a on a football field, like.
Speaker 1: The exactly so it's homecoming King and Queen is what you're thinking of, which is like basically like to kick off the season. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So there's not a prom King and Queen.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was a holiday hally, like a Hollywood thing like never been kissed and ten things a hay about you and mean girls like I don't. I mean, you guys write it Intella's I didn't have a prom King and Queen. We had a homecoming King and Queen, which is entirely different. It is I feel like, who is running for prom King and Queen? Like who cares?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 1: But I bet you it did happen in other places. Yes, I mean it has to be based off something surely, or is just made up. I mean it's all made up anyway.
Speaker 2: Twist time.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Dave Krofsky is prom king? Do you remember this twist I had to know. I had to be reminded because I gasped, oh I remember, oh interesting, No, no. As soon as it started to unfold in the episode, I was like, oh, I think this is where Kirk gets gets dubbed. So Kurt becomes prom queen mm hmm, and he runs out embarrassed because he is mortified that because they thought they weren't getting made fun of it problem that they were winning, and it was actually they were playing this mean, sick joke on them.
Speaker 2: And as he says, it's Chris'm not saying it to us. This is what people really feel, right, and they're just not saying that joke.
Speaker 1: And yeah, man, Chris is just giving us another that scene, Golden Globe performance, that.
Speaker 2: Scene is truly incredible, like so deep in.
Speaker 1: It, yes, oh yes, yeah, I felt that one to my core.
Speaker 2: Phenomenal, really really good Chris. It's a shame he's not talented, Yeah, shame.
Speaker 1: And and then Quinn is also simultaneously very upset in the bathroom, crying and her and Rachel have made an epic epic semed together where she slaps the she out of her.
Speaker 2: This I did not remember that, like, this might be my favorite sequence of the episode because we have Kurt having his moment, we have that slap that I also did not remember shocking between Rachel and Quinn, and then we also have Santana and Britney having their moment. She was really upset because crossk like her date one right, but she didn't.
Speaker 1: Her line we get.
Speaker 2: To New York, I'm bailing to live in a lesbian colony or trybeca.
Speaker 1: Also her asking if she smells like a golf course.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's my favorite line.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite one of the episode. Yeah, do I smell like a In the editing of having a tier and them back to back to back and then also having Kurt turn around and be like, you know what, I'm going to own this so they don't win, and then have Quinn Rachel turn in this beautiful bonding moment and we turned around real fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Rachel being like, you know, I didn't mind this lap. I like the dramatics.
Speaker 1: It feels very high school, though, which is like some of our favorite things where like the stakes feel really high.
Speaker 2: The tone was just nailed in this section. Truly loved it, loved it, loved it.
Speaker 1: So Kurt decides to go back in and and get his crown and be prideful and proud and show everybody that they can't win. And he says, eat your heart out, keep Middleton, which is it's funny because Chris loves the Queen, or loved the Queen a rest in peace and in general right. And Kurt obviously encourages Krofsky to like use this moment and come out, but he's not going to do it, and he leaves, and so Kurt left on the dance far by himself, and then of course Blain to the rescue and they dance and it's very so sweet.
Speaker 2: You know what. I also loved about this during all of those moments because you could always find the Glee Club in the crowd during his speech during that dance, and they're not front and center. It always realistic. They're there in the crowd in the back wherever and Stilt spines them right, and it was really sweet. I did not remember Mercedes and Santana doing dancing Queen as a duet. Oh, I definitely did I remember this happening, the number happening again. I don't want to sound like I don't remember anything from the show, but I'm confusing the prompts and.
Speaker 1: Right prom rondel prom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, all the proms.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget Dancing Queen because I just did not like that song and I was like, please don't make me listen to this song. But it was fun to watch those gals cheeky, cheekily perform that number in the crowd with us, and you could see like Quinn give uh Santana a hug, but it's like Diana gibbick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and all we gotta do all those prom photos, which was cute and fun.
Speaker 1: I have a bunch of those photos still photos in my folders because and A Rose, who took them, who was our set photographer, kept them all and sent them to me.
Speaker 2: So that was the only part that actually felt like real prom. Yes, because they'd throw us in there whenever they could remember. There were some downtime and then they shoot it yeah too. Yeah, that was fun. There's a lot of downtime and prom and I'm just realizing now what I'm saying, like, oh, yeah, you can sit outside and tan during prom. It's because I missed a lot of prom because I was in Sue's office, so I was tanning outside, right.
Speaker 1: I feel like I had a lot of downtime too, though, yes, I really didn't, although doing the Darren song was not I didn't have as much jown time as you did. Dan. That's right, Okay, that's the prom. That's the first prom of many proms to come.
Speaker 2: Prom Queen Queen.
Speaker 1: Should do some tarty takes. Yeah, okay, cringe moments.
Speaker 2: I would say Jesse's line about hiring an Asian student to take his classes, or calling Artie legs from Sue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of her nicknames for Artie were inappropriate. They were jarring to me. I was like, oh, there's another one.
Speaker 2: It's also knowing Jane, it's still surprising when she says something particularly strong because that is so not her right best dance with Jenna, Oh.
Speaker 1: My goodness, I gotta say, I think Friday gets the takes the cake really well. They made it up themselves. They were very proud of that.
Speaker 2: I guess you're right. I also just like the moment of Blaine and Kurt dancing together. I guess there's not like a dance move, but that's though. It was a move to save Kurt from embarrassment.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see what you did there. Okay, I'll let it slide this time. You. Best song, isn't she lovely? Really?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, I guess I'll say that too. Okay, can I say my own song?
Speaker 1: Yes? Definitely great best performance by a prop Britney's Tiny.
Speaker 2: Hat totally, the tiny hat, Absolutely.
Speaker 1: The best line is our favorite. I think we have the same one.
Speaker 2: Yes twice.
Speaker 1: Smell like a golf course.
Speaker 2: I do have to say, and I feel like this was an ad lib. But there is a moment when they're doing the dress shopping that we didn't even talk about, which is.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, this was definitely an outlet.
Speaker 2: When Chris goes go with God Satan Santana, definitely an outlet, right that was There's no way.
Speaker 1: Chris loved to add it in a little flare. Yes, and when he did, it was always good, very excellent performance. MVP. I think Chris colper I would. I would say, Heaven, you're right, though, you're right.
Speaker 2: I think they've already spitting some wisdom.
Speaker 1: She actually did have some nuggets this time around.
Speaker 2: She did, okay, are you ready for ship? We found a TikTok Jenna, I am ready. Okay, So this is from Melly June Puff on TikTok and it's a picture of or it's a video of us doing umbrella seeing in the rain mashup, and it says how the glee club never had enough money for competition, but they had money for performances like this, and yet it's so true. We talked about it all the time.
Speaker 1: It's so true. We'd always be like, where are we supposed to be making our own costumes? Wasn't Mercedes and Team like making costumes?
Speaker 2: And like, if you saw the real art department on our show, it was a large, very talented group of people who put these things together. It's like high school students aren't doing this on a shoe string budget, right, Absolutely not right. But I mean, if you go look at the comments, it's pretty hilarious because someone said, I always thought it was supposed to be like what they thought it looked like in their heads.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 2: Interesting, And someone said group delusion. That's the only explanation.
Speaker 1: Very heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you know, I think people will just accept it it. Or maybe they were always broke because they were spending their money on these weekly performances for an empty auditorium.
Speaker 1: No, we just just accept the delusion, an illusion of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely delusion, illusion, illusion, delusion. Well that's our show. I really loved this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a solid, solid episode, jam packed with a lot of entertainment. YEA.
Speaker 2: Heading into next week, which is Funeral, which has some great music.
Speaker 1: Well specifically one back to Black, let's just call it, yeah.
Speaker 2: Back to Black. I'm excited to watch this song because I have feelings about this episode and I would like to see if they're right. Oh interesting, Okay. The other thing is is last season, when we got to the end, we hit sort of a clunker, remember, and they had the funk and theatricality had to be swapped out. So I'm wondering, how are we going into the season finale here? Are we hitting another clunker or not?
Speaker 1: We might be, We could be, we might be. Okay, Well there's the only way. One way to find out is to come back next week. Can see?
Speaker 2: Is we like our own show? And that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.