Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Christy Scales, Aisha Morrison, Nicole Hutcheson, and Jess navarrees.
Speaker 3: Well, good leap day morning, everybody.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Girls Talk, Boys Talk presented by jigsa the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We are live here at the beautiful SWBC podcast studios here at the Star in Frisco, joined here by Christy Scales, Aashan Morrison, Jesse Jazz in the back.
Speaker 3: I'm your host for the day, Jess and ours Ar.
Speaker 4: Nicole is out at the NFL Combine, which we have plenty to talk about when it comes.
Speaker 3: In terms to the combine. So before we get there, ladies, how are you Another week has passed by? How are you doing this weekday?
Speaker 2: We only get to do this once every four years for late Days, so we got to make it count.
Speaker 5: We do.
Speaker 6: We have to make it count.
Speaker 4: There's like some good deals and stuff that you can get at certain places today, so take advantage of that.
Speaker 3: I was watching the Today.
Speaker 4: Show earlier to see what those deals were. So we'll talk about it at the commercial.
Speaker 6: Break, and it's combine. It's combine, y'all.
Speaker 7: Is we're gonna start seeing players actually do workouts and stuff today.
Speaker 6: It's so excited. It just came up on TV and.
Speaker 2: Watching which of the workouts over the next you know, through the weekend are you most looking forward to?
Speaker 5: Number?
Speaker 6: One?
Speaker 7: I think one of the favorite workouts I have is where they I forgot the name of it, but when the corner's back pedal and they have to do insurrection and they have.
Speaker 6: To flip their hips really quickly.
Speaker 7: I'm fascinated by it because of something that someone that has sustained a hip injury, the elasticity that you like have to maintain the way you have to be able, like it looks easy sometimes when you see it, but to flip your hips as quickly as corners do and DB's do is not normal.
Speaker 2: I see, that's so interesting. You pick that particular drill not because.
Speaker 8: Of your injury.
Speaker 2: But I remember my first one of my first years covering the Cowboys and was out at Valley Ranch and Irving and it was one of the off season mini camps. Back then, you had multiple mini camps during the off season. But Albert Lewis is this great cornerback, multi time pro bowler for the Kansas City Chiefs, and he was visiting and so we were kind of standing in the end zone watching these rookies out there. I think it was obviously it had to be rookie camp, and he was just observing and he was standing with the media and he said.
Speaker 8: Watch this guy, watch the hips. Now watch this guy. Now watch this guy.
Speaker 2: As they were just doing the fundamental drills, Attorney says, this guy's got it and this guy doesn't. And it's like and then once he told me what to look for, it's like, oh my god, yes, it's like I never thought of it that way before. And just like you're saying, Ayisha, once you kind of know what to look for, and now every time and now you hear the scouts with their words and stuff. And anyway, that was I just remember that as a precedent thing and just having this pro bowler tell me this and it's like, oh my gosh, it like all came together.
Speaker 4: See and this is why Combine week is so important, because you get to see who has it, who doesn't, who could be a good fit. We talked about this last week, but now that it's here, it's here. So yesterday, on Wednesday they saw defensive tackles, linebackers. Today they'll look at defensive backs, tight ends. Tomorrow, on Friday they'll look at quarterbacks and running backs.
Speaker 3: And then on Saturday it's a line time baby.
Speaker 4: So Nick, Harris and Nicole are there on the ground and so we're kind of seeing some live tweets and updates, So if anything pops up, we'll mention it on here. But we're really going to go over what we saw yesterday a little bit. The combine also time to talk to head coaches, front office staff. In the Cowboys case, Mike McCarthy did not attend. Mike Zimmer did not attend. They're staying back here to kind of get things going with Zimmer's new hire and all of that. However, we did hear from Stephen Jones. Ladies, I want to start with that and then we'll get into the rest of the combine. Nisha has some notes for some of the gentlemen.
Speaker 3: That they talked to yesterday.
Speaker 4: But let's start with some Stephen Jones notes. Because I listened to the full twenty five minute interview, there was a lot to take out of it, So I figured there was a lot of discussion for us to have, which when we get into the slow period of time, it's exciting that we have so much to talk about. All right, let's start with I think one of the most pressing conversations right now, which is Dak Prescott's potential contract extension or not.
Speaker 3: We don't know what the state of that is.
Speaker 4: Stephen was very adamant that he didn't want to make contact or make any kind of comment on the contract status. He wanted to be respectful of any negotiations. And then he was asked if they really want to extend Dak Prescott. He said, oh, yes, absolutely. However, Michael Gelkin came out with a fantastic article. I don't know if you all have read it with the Dallas Morning News, and if you haven't and you're listening, please go read it. Michael's fantastic journalist, always does very great work. There was some speculation in there that perhaps there's a multiverse, and this is the multiverse. That they don't extend Dak, and he could also be on a one year deal because guess who else is all of the new hires as far as coaches this year as well.
Speaker 2: That's very unusual yet for someone like Zimmer to sign a one year deal.
Speaker 4: Right and Mike McCarthy on the final year of his contract, So it seems like there's a lot of ones going around here. Dak Prescott's not exempt from that being a possibility either. So I wanted to open up that discussion here for you ladies. How do you kind of see this going? Where do you see this going? Obviously it's a possibility, but we were talking about the cap room that that kind of contract would take. I mean, if you're the front office and you've seen kind of what Dak has been doing the last eight years at this point in his career, the lack of playoff success, is that a possibility.
Speaker 3: For you to keep him on a one year deal? Essentially?
Speaker 8: At this point, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Dak holds the cards, and Dak has bet on himself before and it has paid off more than handsomely.
Speaker 8: So to assume that a multi.
Speaker 2: Year extension is going to get done with a huge bonus that they can pro ratee out. You know, for most players, I would say that would happen, but in my opinion, it's not a given with Dak. And the other thing is, to me, the biggest thing in this past week is the explosive increase in the salary cap. And so when each team has an additional thirty million dollars to play with, and we'll talk about some of those numbers a little later, it gives you more padding for this year that you could take a bigger cap hit.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about it? I can see your face.
Speaker 7: We're just it's just a weird place to be in. I you just don't hear that often that a quarterback that was in the MVP conversation top ten, those type of things would be on a one year deal. We look across the NFL right now, and quarterback is important out there in the street. It's not only quarterback back up quarterback too. We're not gonna go there.
Speaker 6: So I just think it's dicey.
Speaker 2: This is yeah, dicey is a great word. Yeah, you're playing with fire.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because this is a big year for some of these even some of these coaches that are coming in. I to your point, it doesn't sound normal for.
Speaker 6: Something like this to happen.
Speaker 7: Maybe we'll get more explanations and stuff like that, but it's concerning a bit because his extension could possibly open up we've talked about it could open up their finances.
Speaker 3: A little bit more.
Speaker 7: Despite the fact that they did raise the cap, it's still free. Agency is somewhere they need to really attack.
Speaker 6: They do. They need to be aggressive this.
Speaker 7: Year, and so to me, I just I think it's very taboo and I just don't like the way that this feels, if I'm being honest, and because there's no.
Speaker 6: Your foundation is shaky right now, boss and players.
Speaker 7: I think players can feel that because it's not just about It's not just about the quarterback and the coaches. The rest of the players are affected by this as well, because not only are they going to learn different schemes, have to adjust to different coaches, specifically on the defensive side of the ball, to do all of that and to maybe know and I get it to people say, it's the business.
Speaker 6: It's the business.
Speaker 7: These are humans, right, This is like not this is like your boss being like, hey, I'm gonna be here for another year.
Speaker 6: I don't know after that.
Speaker 7: But I'm gonna teach you how to do this job how I would do it.
Speaker 3: No guarantee that you can develop it.
Speaker 2: Then you have to draft to players to suit the now. Of course, yes, coaches adapt to track the players have, but still you're going for a certain proto type, right, so.
Speaker 4: I under I also wonder, I guess if draft capital kind of comes in play in this, because this is kind of what you saw with both the Gilmour and Cooks trade last year. If that comes into play at some point, not so much money when it comes to really diving deep and going all income free agency. And that's really why it's not a concern that one the cap space is increased now and two it's not so much of a cap casualty for Dak's contract, and especially I guess as a way of having a repercussion for the embarrassing loss.
Speaker 3: I mean, it doesn't all fall on Dak. We talked about it.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was all Dak Prescott's fault, especially with the season he had to be able to get the Cowboys in that position. Had he not played like that, the Cowboys would not have been the number two seed in the NFC.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, it kind of just seems like his success is being measured by playoffs and playoff success, which has not been there. And when there's such an embarrassing loss, somebody has to take the hit. And I think that's Mike McCarthy not getting an extension himself. I think that's Dak Prescott potentially having just one more year on his deal.
Speaker 3: Somebody has to take the fall and.
Speaker 2: People not being sad that Dan Quinn is gone, which is very unfair for Dan for what he did right in his time here. He's a fall guy for the defense which has been so good under him, but played poorly and gave up.
Speaker 8: Too many explosive play. So here's the thing, all.
Speaker 4: You Dak haters, talk to him, Christy, tell him, would you as.
Speaker 7: You asked for because I'm looking at the I'm looking at some of these these quarterbacks even in this draft, honey, honey, like having a good quarterback in this league right now, even if they even despite what happened in the playoffs, and I'm gonna get there.
Speaker 9: Is valuable now.
Speaker 7: Like I just I don't I don't understand why so many people think it's easy to quickly move on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because they have short memories.
Speaker 2: They don't remember the quarterback wilderness we were in after Troy and they draft Quincy and then he flames out and is let go, and you know, you've got the Drew Hinson's and Chad Hutchinson's of the world. And trust me, it was not a good time.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, lightning, I guess kind of can strike twice in the same place. When it did with Tony Romo and Dak.
Speaker 8: Presley, the Cowboys lucked into those.
Speaker 4: Two were not supposed to be starting quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Exactly, You're not going to have that happen again.
Speaker 4: And if you do, I want to know what magic this franchise has to find these quarterbacks. Jack Prescott in the Tony Romo era fell into their lap of Thank god they had a good quarterback that was ready to take that starting position, because then what would have happened, Lord, what would have happened? Who would have been the starting quarterback?
Speaker 6: Oh, it was supposed to be killing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got his ankle broke, so it was right, but he got hurt and then Dak was not ever supposed to get that opportunity behind Kellen and so my thing is, yeah, be careful what you wish for it's and everybody, let's get into this conversation because everybody kind of goes back to Trey Lance being here now, having a year under his belt to work and kind of learn the language and the scheme, the playbook here in Dallas. What did you guys see from Trey Because there was a lot of speculation last year with the quick trade and how quick Jerry was to kind of grab him from San Francisco that that could be I guess the quarterback in training at some point. And yes, we do have to kind of discuss that Dak is getting older. He's getting to that point in his career where maybe it is time to start thinking ahead of the future.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't mean your immediate future. Both things can be true.
Speaker 4: Where you have your franchise quarterback and you start thinking ahead for who takes his spot when his time is done here in the next however many years that he has left, both things can both be true.
Speaker 3: But what did you guys see out of Trey Lance this season?
Speaker 4: Where we did get to see some of him at practice or whispers around the building, whatever have you. I just don't understand why people think.
Speaker 3: Immediately that he would be the answer considering what we saw in practice, and that's no shame to him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'll tell you what I saw of Trey Lance, and that was only when he would come out in pregame warmups with Scott Tolzen, the quarterback's coach, and then some of the either practice squad or inactive wide receivers and would throw to them and have a session early in pregame.
Speaker 8: Okay, and then I know that he did.
Speaker 2: A lot more scout team work than most third team quarterbacks get. The way it works in the NFL is the starter gets the vast, fast, vast, fast, vast vast majority of snaps in practice.
Speaker 8: A backup quarterback if he gets.
Speaker 2: Ten snaps in a week in his own team's offense, that's a lot because the backup number two, backup runs the scout team so Cooper Rush runs. In previous years, like all of scout team work or the vast, vast, vast majority, Trey Lance got quite a bit of scout team work, not ahead of Cooper Rush, but along with Cooper Rush, so he did get more work than most third teamers in terms of practice. The team portion and not just like after practice when the veterans have gone.
Speaker 4: Inside and I will say to you, asking around the locker room, it still seemed that Cooper Rush was still getting those second snaps and it was never Lance getting those snaps ahead of Cooper.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, for the backup stuff, it's Cooper. But in terms of scout team, Trey got a bit. But yeah, he Trey Lance did not jump Cooper Rush past year exactly with da If something happened with Dak, it was going to be Cooper.
Speaker 7: If you're betting on your success from like even from some of the injuries he's dealt with and things like that.
Speaker 6: It's not my business. I mean, it is our business, but it's not my business.
Speaker 7: Like I don't know what is going on. You want to help your quarterback like I do.
Speaker 6: Think it's important to address the run game, yes.
Speaker 7: Because and not addressing the game like the lack of run game efficiency has been was very evident this year. Other teams know that, man, I'm sorry, Like you could see it on film plenty of times that yeah, they're like, oh, then they line it up in twenty one personnel.
Speaker 6: We don't care.
Speaker 7: We know they can't run the ball successfully right now, put a lot of pressure in your quarterback.
Speaker 6: And that's what happened in the playoff game also too.
Speaker 7: Not only could you not stop the run, you couldn't run so either.
Speaker 8: You were so far behind, yes, you had to pass.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, But even when that game wasn't super out of thing, still they were down two scores, they had time.
Speaker 3: You could have.
Speaker 6: Ran the ball and found some.
Speaker 7: I don't know, some some physicality and some momentum with the run game, and it just was never there. And that's been a problem in quite a few of these games. And even when I think back to San fran the year before, it was like, listen, hear me out, I understand Tony, Tony Poller got injured.
Speaker 6: I shouldn't shut down your whole running game operation.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 7: It's been a problem for a while, and it manifested these playoff games as well. But we saw it midway almost halfway through the season, and it was a problem all season.
Speaker 6: Help your quarterback out.
Speaker 7: If we're gonna evaluate him, we need to evaluate him in totality, because hey, listen, even that big dog up in Kse but Chaco breaking some of those big runs and the Super Bowl helped him out.
Speaker 6: And kept that defense.
Speaker 7: Honest, yep, So listen, I'm not I'm off my soapbox, but I'm I'm definitely at a point where I'm like, y'all keep playing with fire. It's gonna be real. It's gonna be right, tumble weeds and cars, the cowardly dog looking out here, it's gonna be sad every day.
Speaker 4: Well, before we go to our next break, I want to get to some other points that that Stephen had, because there was also some reports that came out speaking of the run game that it's likely that both Tony Pollard and Rico Daubele are about to hit the market for free agency.
Speaker 3: So regardless, it kind of just.
Speaker 4: Seems like the running back room will look very very different this offseason.
Speaker 3: So just want to say that.
Speaker 4: A couple of other keynotes that we heard from Stephen. He was asked about Leyton vander Esch and kind of that whole situation. He said he wants to let late and speak on his decision going forward, and that decision obviously being whether he continues to play in the NFL or not. So we don't know officially anything on that, but I thought that was an interesting way for Stephen to answer that question. He was asked about Demarve and overshown in Trayvon Diggs their recovery process. He said, it's probably more realistic. You see them participating in training camp rather than OTAs he said, quote, they're coming along.
Speaker 3: Great, that's positive news. How far that's positive news?
Speaker 6: How far is Aco come?
Speaker 8: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember being kid.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Yep, you heard Aco.
Speaker 8: Immediately his career is over.
Speaker 7: Yes, and it's it's just remarkable to see them even to see like them walking on.
Speaker 6: The sidelines and stuff as quickly as they were.
Speaker 3: I was like, we see them here sometime. I like, right, I love, Yeah, what's going on here?
Speaker 7: Like so sorry, I was just no, no, no, it's fantastic that it is.
Speaker 4: And you know, he talked about how early it happened, both injuries happened to where they'll have the time to come back realistically and participate in more team drills come training camp, which is great to hear, considering you've seen the kind of impact it can have on a player to not have training camp time.
Speaker 3: Yes, so there's that. He talked about a couple more free agents Stefan Gilmour. He I thought this response was interesting.
Speaker 4: He said, they will be discussing things and how the overall picture looks to who they'll bring back. He said, quote, we were very pleased with what he did for this team, and I have nothing but respect for him. It sounds okay, but let's compare it to what he said about Tyrone Smith.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 4: He talked about how he gave mich McCarthy a lot of credit for how Mike was scheduling out Tyrone's practice schedule and the veteran rest days, all of that. He said, We'll certainly be sitting down with him and look look at what it and looking at what it looks.
Speaker 3: Like for him to stay here.
Speaker 4: Two very different responses if you're comparing what he said about Stefan and Tyron.
Speaker 3: So that was interesting.
Speaker 4: Keeping it on the O line, he talked about keeping Tyler Smith at left guard.
Speaker 3: This was a fun one, he said, remains to be seen. Starting to feel a lot like Larry Allen all over again.
Speaker 4: His versatility brings options to the team. Essentially, we can get into that after the break. A couple more things I want to get into as well. He was asked about the culture. There's a culture problem with this team, he said. He doesn't worry about the culture. They all feel good about it, but they always want to be better, especially if they're not winning the super Bowl. On the other end of the break, we'll have a SoundBite about this, but he also talked about Jerry's all in comments. So let's go ahead and take that break. We'll hear that SoundBite from Stephen. We'll get into that discussion. Aisha has some notes on some of the guys that the Cowboys talk to, whether it be a formal or informal interview. Yesterday, we're going to talk about the salary cap increase.
Speaker 3: You have a lot more guy. If you have any questions, make sure to tweet us as well. Stay with us.
Speaker 4: This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, and we will be right back.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby, the yin to this Burger's Yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us every sesame seed on the butun and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola, A journey to footopia burgers better with PEPSI.
Speaker 8: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: The Konka CAF Nationals League Finals are coming to AT and T Stadium. Don't miss your chance to watch North America's best soccer teams battle it out in the semifinals on March twenty first, then see who lifts the trophy in the championships on March twenty fourth. Tickets are available now at segeek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: Sounds Fun, Welcome back to Girls, Stockboys, Talk Everybody.
Speaker 4: Christie Scales I Aishamoresen jeest Mars are Jazzy jazz out in the back being our fantastic, fabulous producer that she is. All right, let's continue our Combine conversation. Ahead of the break, we talked about Stephen commenting on Jerry's all in comments. Jazzy, do that sound bite? Yes, okay, let's play that sound bite and then let's open up for discussion.
Speaker 5: I've never known Jerry not to be all in in any given year. But h uh, you know, you you know, certainly, you know we've got a great I think the great team put together. Uh, you know, I think you know, the last three years, we won a lot of football games, I think thirty six and uh, you know, certainly where we have to improve is the postseason. You know, we're going to get the right kind of guys who step up and make big plays in the postseason, and uh, it's been a challenge in terms of our success there, and uh that's where we have to improve.
Speaker 4: Ernie, all right, My question to you ladies is when we heard Jerry talking about going all in, was that really anything new?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: What else is he supposed to say?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, it's not a surprise at all. Brand But our definition of all in and the Jones definition of all in may be a little bit different. I think most people, when you hear all in casual fans or ones that don't pay super close attention, are going to think they're going to throw all that money in at free agency. And while the cap has increased markedly thirteen percent the season, over thirty million dollars, Well, you have big contracts and a quarterback that counts over fifty nine million against it. So even if they wanted to throw a bunch of money in free agency at linebacker, running back, or offensive line or some of these areas that fans are concerned about that we're all concerned about, you know, it's not feasible that you can hit all of those areas.
Speaker 8: I don't think. I think that it's going.
Speaker 2: To be more tactical in going with more mid priced free agents.
Speaker 8: And the other thing is, you know, you have.
Speaker 2: People like dan Quinn leaving and they're going to poach some of these free agents away. It's going to be harder to resign. You don't think dan Quinn would like to have Stefan Gilmour up in Washington with the yeah, with the first round pick that they had as a rookie, that cornerback he would be a great mentor to him.
Speaker 8: So there are a lot of moving parts in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: For me, as far as the culture questions and some of those things, I don't know. I wish that they could see some of the other side of things how we look at things at times, because I do think that there was some I just think there's some clear cut issues with the weight and the heaviness and all the media and so much like.
Speaker 9: I do think that it.
Speaker 7: Is starting to affect this team and the weight of being having to be the team that pulls, you know, the Cowboys as an organization out of this slump of not having a championship.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 7: I believe it is starting to weigh on some of these players, and I think until you acknowledge that, it's going to be a problem because I do think in order to the type of coach, like, the type of voices that you have to have in a room like this is.
Speaker 6: Unique to me.
Speaker 9: I don't believe that you can coach this team how you coach any other team in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, michae lccarthy said that at the start of the players and one of the things he talked about in one of the press conferences. It was a similar question, And how do you handle that is that I've told the team that they're not responsible for the things that came before them in terms of you know, at that what twenty eight years of not having a Super Bowl or a return to the NFC Championship game. So, but we talked about it here on this podcast. They may not be responsible, but they do feel the weight of it. Maybe not when they first come in, in the first couple of years, but after a while, yeah, it gets taxing.
Speaker 3: They get over and over.
Speaker 9: You know how I know it's taxing.
Speaker 4: Because it's aggravated for us.
Speaker 6: I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, yeah, I know Chris Christy, but Christy wants a Super Bowl parade.
Speaker 7: People, even in regard to the Stephan Gilmore and some of those guys, when you think about it, it goes back to the coaching thing as well.
Speaker 9: Is like Stephan Gilmour, who's a little later in age.
Speaker 7: I don't know if he from what he showed this past year, maybe he wants a two year ado, Maybe he wants something longer, because this might be he's thirty three and it was remarkable to see him played this year. But maybe he does want something with a tad bit of longevity because he understands what's next for him. So I just's this.
Speaker 9: This is truly, y'all, this is an odd place to be in.
Speaker 3: It feels there.
Speaker 7: I feel very uneasy about what is happening right now and how could is it possible for them to go out and draft go out and free agency and things kind of you know, but this doesn't feel together right now. There doesn't feel And again, the guys might be close in the locker room and everything fine, but I'm talking about marrying the upstairs folks.
Speaker 9: To these folks. It just feels weird right now, and I don't like the energy.
Speaker 4: Wait about y'all, It feels very make or break instead of all in. That's kind of how I would say, is this this feels very.
Speaker 8: Because because the one your staff, and I think staff.
Speaker 4: Right, and I think that's why it feels uneasy is because you haven't had a circumstance like this from recent history that I can remember, where you had so many people on a one year deal that's a make or break, that's a prove it season that's not necessarily that's hard to maneuver because there's little room for error with those kind of contracts, and that goes for anybody that goes for your head coach, that goes for your DC. I mean, and say they get to the playoffs again next season, same thing happens. And then what you're talking at that point, say they don't decide to extend Dak Prescott, then what you have to find a new head coach, a new DC, a new pretty much every coaching staff, pretty much on the defensive side, a new franchise quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I don't even want to think about that. I'm just saying that. That's why I feel uneasy. You said it perfectly uneasy. It's just I don't like this now.
Speaker 8: I think with Dak, and.
Speaker 2: I think the more obvious option is doing those two voidable years right, because I'm sure you would, you know, have to pay more, you know, if it could cost you against the cap in those couple of years, but it would lessen the cap this year because if it's all in, what everybody.
Speaker 8: Wants, all right, allin.
Speaker 2: But I want to go back to that phrase, but if it's make or break, because it's a one year deal, you have to put all your chips.
Speaker 8: In on the table, right, and so.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be playing with a shorthand, right, and I don't know that you need. And the point of that is, if you've got one year, then you want them to go out in free agency and bring you all the talent that they can, because if it's your last year, I need to go out the way I want to go out with the players I want and not be, you know, saving money for the future.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, while we put a little bow on that conversation, I still want to go through some of the guys that the Cowboys had some formal and informal.
Speaker 3: At the combine. Shout out to Nick and Nicole for this beautiful list that just made life so much easier for us.
Speaker 4: I ushul I sent you this list. If you guys want to look at it, I'm not going to read it all. Nick Harris tweeted it yesterday. If you want to go through and look, I'm sure they'll keep doing that. But I usure you you saw that list. Who are some of the guys that stood out to you that these did the Cowboys talk to you while they're there, whether it be a formal informal informal interview, Who are some of the guys that stood out to you and that.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, let me say that this is my favorite time because it's, uh, it's very humbling because you.
Speaker 9: Look at the list of some of the guys they talked to.
Speaker 6: I ain't watch them.
Speaker 7: I don't even know I didn't even know their names, and that it kind of kind of lets you know, like, yeah, these people do this for a living.
Speaker 6: You know, we just get on the mic and talk. But like, no, like.
Speaker 7: They're finding they're sifting through these teams that maybe you don't even think about. And some of these players' names came up. But one one that stood out to me and Trice Night linebacker Utip he's six two to thirty five. Again, I actually wrote down this is stuff that makes me excited because he even said yesterday in his interview, he was like, the biggest advice, best advice that he's gotten, is you know, stay at the school that you're at.
Speaker 6: Like it's a.
Speaker 7: Lot of guys transferring and trying to look for that, and he just was like, the tape is there, people will find you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And to me, I think that's that him even having you know, any level.
Speaker 9: Of an interview with the Cowboys kind of shows that that people.
Speaker 6: Are still gonna find your tape. I looked at him.
Speaker 7: He's a six year player, so he a little longer too. Then he plays some football. But at this point I don't.
Speaker 9: Dislike that a whole bunch with linebacker.
Speaker 7: Because I do think some of these guys that are played longer there, they've seen more. It slows down for them, some of them. So anyway, I'll tell you about the player a little bit. He plays with his eyes a lot, so he's constantly and I think it is a gift and a curse a little bit with him because he'll see it and there's times where I just want him to go drive and get it. However, he is a little feisty, got chip on his shoulder playing down there and now fast though he's bursty as a blitzer, he has sidelined to sideline speed in his reaction times.
Speaker 6: It's pretty good.
Speaker 7: I like some of the things I saw from him and coverage from his own perspective, he has the ability to do it. He can take undisciplined angles at time, but you know, listen, that's something to improve upon from a linebacker. And then also to like I said, He also plays with his hands and I think he could get stronger when he disengages.
Speaker 6: But this is a fiery player.
Speaker 7: He has fluid, fluid body movement, a lot of body control.
Speaker 6: He has ability.
Speaker 7: And when you see him, it's funny too, because it's like when you go to the gym.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you ever went.
Speaker 7: Hooping, but if you go to the gym, you can immediately look and be like, oh that guy.
Speaker 8: That guy played overseas or something.
Speaker 7: He looks just a little he pops out a little bit more than everybody else on the field.
Speaker 6: And yeah, he's a solid player and he's very solid. He's a run stopper.
Speaker 7: He's above average as a run stopper as a linebacker, which is good to hear.
Speaker 6: He stood out to me.
Speaker 7: I just was like, oh, they look at somebody on youtub number one for my girl here, but then number two. It's just so unique to me that, yeah, it's just a guy that I never saw coming.
Speaker 6: I can play the game.
Speaker 4: I feel obligated to say, go Aggie's because that's pretty much other than the Lobos, your next rival the UTEP Minors as as in New Mexico State alum So Go Aggie's on that note, but also so cool because UTEP is is a school that you know growing up in that area, there's not a lot of guys that actually make it. That's why it was such a big deal for Aaron Jones.
Speaker 3: To make it.
Speaker 4: And he is so highly praised in i'l passo because again, when you grow up in an area like El Paso, Los Crusis, even Albuquerque, in that area, it's just so raren in between that you find a talent that can make it to the NFL and that can stay there and maintain it. So I love hearing that it hits the hard strings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I would love Aaron Jones, but not when he scores all the touchdowns against the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Time I root for Aaron Jones. I know this well.
Speaker 2: Laufenburg from Colbos Radio colleague, Yeah, his late son Luke was at UTEP. He knows Aaron Jones very well. Yeah, and speaks so highly of Aaron.
Speaker 8: But will have to get.
Speaker 2: With Babe because Babe goes to so many UTEP.
Speaker 7: Minor games now and see what he thinks really good insight on that.
Speaker 6: I was actually going to reach out for that.
Speaker 3: He really will anybody else let us have it.
Speaker 7: Let me tell you this gentleman has a story, and it's really his chance to write that. I believe his name is yaby Oki and he is from He's a d n He played in Charlotte. That's where he is. That's where he's being drafted out of. However, before he was at Charlotte, he spent some time at Michigan. Before he was at Michigan, he spent some time at Tennessee. I think it's I'm sorry, Tennessee is not Tennessee.
Speaker 8: Tech Tennessee Martin.
Speaker 6: Yes, Tennessee Martin. I can't remind bababe.
Speaker 7: Before that, he spent some time at Houston. Before that, he started and was drafted to Alabama. This gentleman played football late. He didn't start playing into his junior year of high school. He's had some behavioral things and some issues that have taken him off the field, But in the last two years he's really focused his life back to Christ. He's he's really kind of buckled down and in his interviews I watched yesterday, he was just talking about how it improved he's he's been in and some of the people that are around him that you can I've read some articles about our saying the same things about him as that, and don't get it twisted. When he left Michigan, they were hurt. The I searched, and a lot of the fans and a lot of the people there were really looking forward to him.
Speaker 5: Dog.
Speaker 7: This is a this this guy has a potential to be a real dominant d N in this league. He's sixty three two fifty three, so he has great size, great weight. He rushes with speed to power. He's edgy, he has a motor. The temperament again is something that I think he's improving upon. But if he can figure out how to ride that fence, he's active in the run game. He's not afraid to come downhill. He's he's edgy, he is very much so like every play, he's one hundred percent almost And the pursuit is there, the backside pursuit is there. I said, holy wild card, because you look at a guy like this and this is this again. That's why scouting excites me, because there are times that you look at a guy like this and you look at his resume and a lot of people would be like, I'm not talking to this kid.
Speaker 6: He clearly doesn't have stability.
Speaker 7: But at the same time, you look at this, you turn on that tape, you can't ignore it. So you if you fish a little bit, you want to see if he's improved. And so anyway, I'm still looking at film on him. It is difficult to find, you know, concrete film from this past year. However, looking at him at Michigan, looking some of the past rush ability of the hand fighting, how he gets to the ball. He has a nose for the ball, y'all. I mean, he's he stands out. He stands out on film. So I'm just wondering how the interview process is gonna go from him, how he's gonna test.
Speaker 6: All that stuff's gonna matter.
Speaker 7: But I'm sure the character stuff is the biggest thing that people are trying to make sure it's been improved in the last.
Speaker 6: Couple of years.
Speaker 7: Outside of that, this guy has a lot of upside if he's in the right place.
Speaker 2: Well, but those those kinds of backgrounds where there are questions about that, if there are, that can make you slide in the draft, But can I yeah, make you a steal yep.
Speaker 8: If you're the team that decides to invest in.
Speaker 2: Potential, you see him as a mid to late now or more early day three.
Speaker 7: His ability ability wise, this to me is no later than a third round pill maybe late their round. Okay, with what's happening with his instability and stuff again, people are gonna worry, like can I fit him into this scheme?
Speaker 6: Can I fit him into this scheme?
Speaker 7: Temperament everything right, So it's like, Okay, I think he could slide to. I think he could definitely slide to like fifth round and things like that because of the character stuff.
Speaker 6: What if he tests well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's make or break for him this weekend. This week, I can't wait is way into a higher higher pick. It's exciting.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: Stories are unique and I want it. So those are guys I want to highlight because that so and.
Speaker 3: You you'd come with the with the fire.
Speaker 8: And I want you to.
Speaker 2: I want you for next week, pick like three or four guys that for the whole draft.
Speaker 8: You know that that you are most excited about.
Speaker 2: So homework assignments, homework homework assign Let's let's.
Speaker 3: Take our next and final break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we are going to talk about the salary cap increase and the nfl p A report card for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned this Girl's Talk, Boys Talk presented by Jicks Out.
Speaker 4: We will be right back.
Speaker 11: At Jigsaw Dating. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 10: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 8: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 10: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool CATSI finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 8: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: Enjoy excellent dining, boutique shopping and exciting events. At the Star District in Frisco, featuring dozens of North Texas's best restaurants and shops, plus a calendar full of family friendly events. There's always something to shop, dine, and do at the Star District. Visit the Star District dot com for more information. All right, welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk. This is our final and very quick last segment of the show. Christie Scales, I Asha Morris and Jazzy Jazz in the back as our producer. I'm Jessina Barr as your host.
Speaker 3: Today. Arnicle is out.
Speaker 4: At the Combine, so we miss her and we love her, but we know she's going to do some good work today. All Right, NFL salary cap increase, Christie Scales.
Speaker 3: What do you have for us on?
Speaker 2: Well, it went from two hundred and twenty four point eight million this past twenty twenty three season to up to two hundred and fifty five point four million. Some of the original projections were in the high too thirties, and then as the season was going along, and a lot of the gambling and.
Speaker 8: All of that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But mainly it's the increase has to do with the new broadcasting rights kicking in from all the different not only networks and cable services, but the streaming services. So that thirteen point six percent increase from one year to the next is by far the largest in NFL history. The NFL started with the salary cap in nineteen ninety four, and so it usually increases about ten maybe twelve million a year, that's the range. So to go up by thirty million in a year, now that I know that, it's you know, everybody gets the same amount. There's a pie and you take it and you divide it into thirty two slices, so everybody gets the same same slice of same piece, you know, size of the slice of kind of pie.
Speaker 8: Ooh, what's your favorite pumpkin? Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna get a lot of hate.
Speaker 6: My favorite pie is chess pie.
Speaker 8: I love chess pie. Wow, I'm gonna vote for that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna take it to a barbecue.
Speaker 3: Bible love even better.
Speaker 8: Jess has your own theory.
Speaker 3: I have my own theory on that on that increase. Thank your local swifties for that. I'm not look. I know you guys think I'm take it.
Speaker 4: I think you guys think I'm obsessed, but genuinely being in the Swifty community, I have never seen and I'm an O. G swiftye Like I saw Taylor Swift as an opener for George straight As my first concert when I was literally in the fifth grade. Maybe I'm not like a new Swifty in this. This fan base is so invested in football, like I'm not kidding, and I can tell you like the Swifties have studied and learned football.
Speaker 3: To understand what's going on.
Speaker 4: And yes they were watching the KC games obviously to see Taylor.
Speaker 3: But people have an.
Speaker 4: Interest now in the NFL that never had an interest before. This whole fan base has a new interest. So thank your local Swifties for.
Speaker 8: A rising tide carries all both.
Speaker 7: The only only way I will all the reason I'll concede to some of this is because you love me. No, because you said number thirteen and is thirteen percent.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 9: I thanking co wincidence and that's all I.
Speaker 4: Gott's let's talk about that the Chiefs win the Super Bowl from the thirteen yard line. It's her thirteenth game. We don't have to get into it. I'm just saying, not a coincidence.
Speaker 8: And yet for all the Chiefs have accomplished.
Speaker 2: They're like near the bottom of the nfl PA player poll.
Speaker 3: Oh, here we go, and that is it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Speaking of that real quick, we have a couple of minutes left, Let's go down the NFLPA port card for the Cowboys. Treatment of families got an A minus that's fourth in the league compared to the other teams.
Speaker 3: Food cafteriry got to B that's eleventh.
Speaker 4: Nutritionists slash dietitian gotta b also ranking eleventh. Locker room got an A ranking second in the NFL across all teams. Training room gott a C minus twenty sixth in the league. Training staff got a D plus thirtieth in the league. Weight room a fifth in the league. Strength coaches got to be plus seventeenth in the league.
Speaker 3: Team travel.
Speaker 4: I think this one's a little interesting too, C minus ranking twenty second.
Speaker 3: In the league.
Speaker 4: Head coach a ninth in the league. Ownership B nineteenth.
Speaker 6: In the league.
Speaker 4: Of all of that, obviously there's some eyes and there's some lows.
Speaker 3: What sticks out to both of you of the.
Speaker 2: Most and training staff, because Cowboys have an awesome training staff, but it's really based more on number of trainers and saying that, you know, just they would like to have more the Cowboys have. You only have to have three trainers by rule of the NFL collective bargaining. The Cowboys have four and then two assistants like graduate assistants and so. But still, when you have ninety players in the off season and through training camp, and when you have it's not fifty three players plus sixteen on a practice squad and guys on ir and things like that, you know, there's only so much time in a day. So you have terrific. Yeah, Britt Brown, director of rehab, best in the business, but he can only be in one place at one time. And Jim and Ranson and the guys do a wonderful job. But when you play a violent sport and you have so many guys that get dinged up and you have to come in so early for your treatment. So it's I don't it's not an indictment on the ability of the training staff that we have. It's just sounds like they would just like to have.
Speaker 8: More.
Speaker 2: Well, they have access, but just maybe increase the number of staff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't have much to add, but I mean, did they say that the training equipment was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it says. Michael Gilkin tweeted this, The major issue in Dallas, based on responses, is centered around the training room. The players feel that they're very understaffed in this department. It's difficult to get the necessary preparation treatment to.
Speaker 3: Perform their best.
Speaker 4: Sixty two percent of the players feel like they get an inadequate amount of one on one time treatment treatment time, which is what Christie said. The other issue mentioned players feel the training room lacks basic equipment that you would expect to be standard in any other training facility, which I thought was interesting.
Speaker 7: I find it interesting too because where are we yep, sorry.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, But the one thing about the trial. We had a really brutal travel schedule this year with the overnight games and the late nights and especially the early in the season.
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh. So the Cowboys, you know, they always play.
Speaker 2: The maximum amount of primetime games because there's such a draw for the network, but godly, the way that it was road trips and around the holidays, you know, Christmas Eve and things like that that it was. It was particularly tough this year, I thought, And so I think that part of that with the travel, may be a reflection on so many of the overnight coming back home, and that's not up to the team, you know, Yeah, that's being a victim of your own circumstances.
Speaker 8: Popularity.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go.
Speaker 4: Next week when we come back here, we'll touch more on all things combine going on some other news that I'm sure will pop up throughout the week is well, we'll be here to discuss it again Thursdays.
Speaker 3: At ten am Central time. We are live here. So ladies, our time has come to an end. We win a little bit long today, but that's okay. Always fun. Christy, thank you for being here. You should. Thank you for being here. A jazzy jazz and is back. Thank you for being the best producer EPA. We love you for all four of us.
Speaker 4: Jesse included. Thanks for listening, Thanks for tuning in. We appreciate you guys so much. Have a great rest of your leap day, go celebrate accordingly.
Speaker 3: We will be back here next week. Thanks for watching this. Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jig South. We'll see you then.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.