Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Areas reporting at NXP highlighting another record quarter of fundraising with over thirty six billion dollars of inflows. The CEO, Mike karraghetti writing, our clients continue to reward us due to our strong and consistent fund performance across our strategies. Mike joins us now in a studio for more Mike and morning, Good.
Speaker 3: To see, Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 2: I wanted to start with a quite of yours from earlier this year when things were pretty difficult with the software issue, and you said something really important. You said the following. If you're going to underwrite a narrative of AI disruption, you also then have to say, well, what does that mean for the productivity and margin improvement for the rest of your book. I think that's a good place to start. Where are you seeing value being created right now?
Speaker 3: It's I'm glad I said that.
Speaker 4: So if you if you look at the way that ARIES is playing the AI transformation, it's what are we doing within the data center and digital infrastructure space, what are we doing within our portfolio companies and what's that productivity uplift? And then what are we doing within Aries? Proper to either improve our investment outcomes or profitability. So if you start with aries first, we're obviously deploying AI across the entire enterprise. We're seeing significant efficiency. We had one hundred basis point margin increase in the quarter year over year, and we've guided the street to expect zero to one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Basis points per annum.
Speaker 4: A fair amount of that is technology efficiency that's getting created, re underwriting processes, reunderwriting systems, and we are seeing uplift that is also translating into increased productivity.
Speaker 3: And margin expansion within the portfolios.
Speaker 4: So if you were to look across our private equity portfolios, our private credit portfolios, cash flow growth is still plus or minus ten percent. If you look at corporate earnings, I think you're going to see that that's generally the theme. And then within the investment space, we are doing our best to say diversified in the way that we're attacking the digital infrastructure opportunity big investors in data center development, but I think our approaches tended to be a little bit more targeted. We're doing one hundred and fifty to three hundred megawatt deals, hyperscal er adjacent in large tier one markets like Tokyo, London, South Paolo pre leased twelve to fifteen year terms with escalators, so we have probably shied away from some of the secondary and tertiary markets and stayed away from some of the frontier model type of opportunities too. We're a very large lender in the infrastructure debt space and you're seeing that rolling through our earnings as well in terms of the fundraising and deployment momentum there. So we are one of the largest institutional lenders to other developers and that's been a bright spot.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 4: We have a large asset based finance business and we're squaring off with a lot of the banks on SRTs and portfolio purchases where we're helping them free up liquidity on their balance sheet to continue to deploy into the opportunit unity.
Speaker 3: And then for we have a.
Speaker 4: Very large infrastructure equity business where we're investing all around the digital ecosystem, transmission, fiber, battery, storage, etc. So we're kind of attacking it from all angles. But our view has been we want to be global, we want to be diversified, and we want to have the full capital structure. So that we can move around where we see best releatanive that.
Speaker 2: So the second word I want to dig into diversified, and I'm open to the reality check. I'm just going to say it feels it feels like a lot of people are in the same trait. They're an asset backed infrastructure debt on the credit side, and they're taking direct equity investments into say software and models. How do you avoid all the crowding that we're starting to see in other places.
Speaker 3: In digital, specifically with your firm. Yeah, I think the key in.
Speaker 4: This goes if you look at our earnings this quarter and you put the numbers up on the screen, what screams out to me is just the broad base nature of the business and the diversification. And so the way that we think about private market. We want to be up and down the capital structure debt to equity, so that we can move around and find real to value and response to rates or the economic environment. We want to be horizontally diversified across all the different private market asset classes, secondaries, private equity, real estate, infra, and you'll see investor appetite and our own view of real to value shift. And then within the funds, we want to be highly highly diversified. So if you look at our credit funds as an example, you may see nine hundred to one thousand line items. So we're not going to have any single exposure really drive the long term performance, and I think that's key.
Speaker 3: There is a risk in any investment.
Speaker 4: Business that you're over diversified, and I could argue maybe one thousand loans in one fund is overdiversified, but it served us well over the thirty years that we've been doing it.
Speaker 1: Earlier this year, everyone was saying there's going to be a complete collapse, that the private credit space is going to go down in flames because of the retail investors, etc. And your compatriots and yourself coming out and saying, WHOA, not at all. We're seeing actually performance hang in there and people are still interested. Where are we in that in terms of interest from investors in private credit? How much the pendulum has shifted to the infrastructure and some of the other plays instead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, we've been pioneers in private credit and people have been saying it's a bad place to be for thirty years and it's grown pretty consistently and compounded at a very attractive ray of return. So anytime there's a narrative that's that loud, you've got to at least ask yourself, you know, what is it that they're looking at?
Speaker 3: We don't see it.
Speaker 4: If you look at our direct lending business, which is kind of where I think people are focused, are non accruals across the direct lending business right now are inside of two percent. That is well below the historical averages. Our cash flow growth is plus or minus ten percent, as I said, and that's been consistent. We are seeing healthy interest coverage, very low loans to value. So the fundamental performance is exactly what was underwritten. A lot of the noise, you know, I don't really know where it's coming from. It could be coming from a competitive set of capital that doesn't like to see the flows. It could be it could be software related. But there's nothing that we see in the portfolios that would indicate that credit's weakening. And the interesting is your question, and you see at this quarter in earnings, the institutional demand for private credit is probably accelerating right now because they're seeing spreads widening and they're seeing capital leave the market and feel like there's an opportunity to come in and take share. So our last two credit funds, both in asset based finance and Opportunistic Credit, hit their hard caps and we had to demand well and access for the hard caps, and we raise those funds quicker than any prior vintage.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating to hear you talk about the performance of these loans, and it's something that we've seen from the likes of Capital One and some of these other credit card companies. The credit performance is hanging in there. It's actually hanging in there better than people expected. Where are we in this economic cycle based on some of the activity that you're seeing in portfolio companies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if anything, you could say growth is moderating slightly. So if we're growing cash flow portfolio wide nine to ten percent a year ago, that may have been eleven or twelve, but it's not negative. So you are slow growth. I mean, where are we? It's still early And back to the first question from Jonathan. You're seeing margin improvement, productivity gains, balance sheets are healthy, companies are delevered, so it feels pretty good and it's just not in corporate We see it in the real estate market too. We're well leased We're seeing rent increases and strong demands, so everything feels really good right now.
Speaker 1: We're talking about leverage coming out of the system. In public markets, there was some concern that maybe leverage was building or there was some fraudy types of behavior. In private asset management. You talk about one hundred and seventy billion dollars of dry powder. I'm just wondering how you see some of these structural dynamics in the market in terms of ability to finance some of the huge bills coming and willingness to you.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, look, I think one hundred and seventy billion of dry powder feels like a lot, but it's actually kind of in line with our annual deployment. So if you look the thirty six billion that we raised this quarter, we also deployed thirty six billion.
Speaker 3: That's actually a lot quicker.
Speaker 4: Than historical used to take us probably two to three years to deploy.
Speaker 3: Our dry powder. We're now almost on an annual raise and.
Speaker 4: Deploy I think with regard to the digital capex, obviously there's seven hundred and fifty plus billion dollars of capex demand coming from the hyperscalers. That is a large amount of capital it's beginning to quote unquote overwhelm the markets. And that's showing up in two ways. One, spreads are widening, which is not necessarily a bad thing, and people want to get paid more for the risk that they're taking. And it's probably slowing the pace of the built. So you know, when you're thinking about deployment, this is not happening overnight. These are two to four year projects. You've got energy constraints, you've got the engagement and civic.
Speaker 3: Discussions that have to go well. So there's a lot that's actually.
Speaker 4: Constraining the coming online of some of this capbec so, at least as we're sitting here today, those numbers don't concern me. But your your point is a good one. And going back to you know, a year ago, people were beginning to ask where's all this capital to come from?
Speaker 3: The CAPEX numbers have doubled.
Speaker 4: And the market is you know, is trying to keep pace, but it's going to be a little bit of a constraint.
Speaker 2: I think I thought you were about to ask whether Leopold had given Micah coole when you talked about a dry powder.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean, maybe you were the one that was the grim reaper calling, did you care some?
Speaker 3: I love those quotes.
Speaker 2: Did he give you a quo?
Speaker 3: Breaking news? And we've got to.
Speaker 2: Get any lessons from that as you see that story.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know enough to know.
Speaker 4: I think, if anything, maybe back to your prior question is be diversified number one, which is, you know, don't be fully exposed to one one factor or single correlation. I think that's you know, that that might be the lesson. It might be that experience matters, and that you know, uh, combination of smarts and experience through cycles is ultimately important. And I think, you know, I think about our own thirty year journey and all the lessons that we've learned navigating cycles and kindful want things, and you'll learn lessons the hard way, and so that that that might be the moral of the story too.
Speaker 2: Mike appreciate it. Thank you, Thank you, buddy, Thanks for jak. Thank you very much. Michael gets you there the are c e O