Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains kobious spoilers for the finale of Book Boba Fett, and really that's it. I think we spoil some stuff from the original Star Wars trilogia, So if by wild chance you're not familiar with the original trilogy, just beware of that spoilers. Spoiler spoilers. If you haven't watched the finale of Book a Boavet, do that now, then come back and listen and give us five stars.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Concepcion, and welcome to x ray Vision, the Crooked Podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. In today's episode on previously on, we discuss the incredible raft of news that dropped mere moments before we hit record on this podcast. In the airlock, we talked the Book of Boba Fett finale, ride that rank or baby un nerd out. A listener proposes that we all engage with Jim Butcher's trust in files and in the endgame. We discuss the medal of Yavin, who gets it from the Book of Bobafet, our picks for the winner of the Book of Boaveet and joining us today the legend, the myth, the icon, the brilliant Rosie Night, Rosie, how are you hello?
Speaker 3: I'm good. It's nice to have moved from mythological status to real life status.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rosie, how are you?
Speaker 3: First of all, Yeah, I'm doing okay, still twenty twenty two, but we're living and there was so much news before we started recording. It's like God, we were like, oh, yeah, we know what we're covering today. It's gonna talk about Boba fet. I'm gonna say some things might happen. It's like everything is happening.
Speaker 1: Let's talk news. First of all, The Lord of the Rings first look Peace dropped on Vanity Fair with a byline from Anthony Brizikin and Joanna Robinson. We get a look at the actors who are playing the various characters. We'll have more to say about this after the trailer drops during the super Bowl, but any initial reactions, Rosy, I think.
Speaker 3: It continues to prove what we thought Amazon was trying to prove, which is like craft and texture and practicality. It looks really good and it looks really real that a lot of what they shared was costume focused, practical focused, smartet focused, and yeah, it looks really good. And I think it's like people are going to be stoked that Gladriel's really there played by who they thought it was going to be played by, and kind of this is our first look at proper characters and kind of how they look in the world, and I think it looks really cool. I'm stoked to see the trailer.
Speaker 1: Some of the include Owayne Arthur as Prince during the fourth the elf Arndier played by Ismail Cruz Cordova, of course, Gladriel Elrond played by Robert Arameo, and more. I think it's very smart to show how much of the craft is front and center in this show, because there's no shortage of sci fi slash comics slash fantasy adaptions that have been sunk because the wigs look bad. You know, the wigs just look cheap, and that is not the case with this. Everything looks really real and lived in and I can't wait to see the trailer. Speaking of Super Bowl trailers, some rumors for trailers that might drop during the Super Bowl. Now, Jurassic World Dominion drop today, so that's out. We've got dinosaurs like in the American West. It is Yellowstone meets dinosaurs, Yeah, and meets a surprise like cloning plot. I don't care. I'm in me too.
Speaker 3: Chris Pratt's like riding a motorcycle through Italy being chased by raptors, and then Laura Dunn is there looking really cool, and Sam.
Speaker 1: Neil's there looking really back together again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who knows. I hope that finally we'll get to see a romantic connection. I love those two, probably one of my original childhood ships. But yeah, it looks absolutely bonkers and I will be watching it.
Speaker 1: I also love the fact that it's like Chris Pratt's character has smuggled his hit Raptor Blue like out of the island and it is just like raising it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and his clone adopted daughter his boiler alert.
Speaker 1: This is I'm excited. It's gonna be wild. I love Jurassic World. I love all the Jurassics. I just like dinosaurs stopping around, incredible music. It's got it all, so okay. Unconfirmed trailers for the Super Bowl, Uh, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of manas you think we'll see it?
Speaker 3: It would make sense. I mean, the movie comes out pretty.
Speaker 1: Soon May sixth A Disney sizzle reel for their upcoming Disney Plue shows, which would include some Moon Night stuff, some Obi Wan Kenobi stuff, She Hulk, Miss Marvel, and possibly more. I would not be surprised to see that, and possibly might we see for the Sonic fans out there Sonic the Hedgehog two, the first trailer was released in December, but could there be another one?
Speaker 3: They've had some TV spots recently, like I saw one yesterday, so like, I feel like Sonic's already out there, but I do feel like people want to see more of Idris Alba dress Alber's knuckles, so I'm sure that people will want to see that. Will it be a super book trailer? I don't know. This year is so weird.
Speaker 1: I'm just like weird.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe that will be the big superhero trailer. Donut King and Sonic back again.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Kenoby. We got a poster and a release date and a short plot synopsis for Kenobi. A snopsis follows. The story begins ten years after the dramatic events of Star Wars Revenger of the Sith, where Obi Wan Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice Anakin Skywalker who turned to the dark side as the evil Sith Lord Darth Vader. Spoiler for everybody who's not seen the Original Children. That show will release on May twenty fifth. I'm extremely excited for it. The poster looks intriguing. I would not be surprised if a bunch of the kind of dangling ends from Book of Boba Fett are picked up in this show, which of course doesn't match up timeline wise. But there's certain things about tattooine, etc. Like references that didn't get answered in the Book of Bovette that I think. I wonder if we will get answers to those things in this show.
Speaker 3: They're definitely they're definitely in the space of trying to make everything really interconnected. So I think that's a really good call. Also, I think if anyone wants to do some pre reading, I know that we like to do that here. So there's this comic series called from the Journals of Obi Wan Kenobi, and they have it as a trade. You can get it on Comicsology, you can get it from your local comic shop. And the costume he has here with the big hood over his head and everything it's really evocative of that series, and that series is kind of him in the desert, just like having some adventures helping people out. So I think that could kind of be at least an aesthetic inspiration, even if it's not a literal narrative one. So I think it's gonna be really exciting. I love you and McGregor. I love Benny Saftie, who for some reasons in this movie so like in this show. So I'm just like so ready to that. I know, unbelievable, unbelievable good time to Obi Wan Kenobi.
Speaker 1: I mean, like when we haven't even like Hayden Christensen returning as Anakin Skywalker slash Darth Vader. Just I think belly Bavia Kumail does he get the shirtless like moment in this do we get to see the rippling muscles? One of my favorites in Dear Varma, she's so good from Game of Thrones, from Rome, from many other things, one of my very very favorites. Uh, super super excited for this. Next up, Futurama returns on Hulu after runs on Fox, reruns on Adult Swim, and a short revival at Comedy Central. Futurama the creation of Mac Groning and David X. Coullen will return on Hulu for a twenty episode run for Beering in twenty twenty three. This is important for many reasons, One because Futurama is hilarious, and two because our sometime co host Cody zig Ziggler book is on the writing seven of the show. And then finally, Rosie, what have you been reading? What have you been up to any rex for the people before we move on to the discussion.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have been reading this book that was on my libray'es hold list for a really long time since it came out, called Devil House by John Darneil, and it is so good. It's like really scary. It's about a true crime author who moves into a house that where a murder purportedly took place. But it's it's not every time you think you know what the book is, you don't. It's like an excavation of true crime culture. It's an excavation of family seek. It's like it's really meta, but it's really engaging, and it looks and feels like a classic kind of seventies horror novel, but it's just so great, Like I actually had a different book I was going to wreck, but I started reading this and I was just like, everyone needs to read this. It's so gripping and immersive and spooky and very timely with all the way that true crime kind of permeates our culture. Now, what about you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put that on my list after I finish Andy Weer's Tail Mary, which for anybody that like the Martian Andy Where is back in the Martian mode, which is like super brilliant scientist is like wow, science while dead people are like all around him, and he's fine with it because the science is amazing, which is exactly what I want from Andywhere. I just finished The Absolute Book by Elizabeth Knox. Elizabeth Knox is a New Zealand author who worked mainly in fantasy and YA and The Absolute Book is like just an incredible blend of various mythologies and influences. It's a fantasy novel with aspects of like true crime, much like you were talking about. There's a murder that sets the ball rolling. There is Norse mythology, there's Irish mythology, all blends together in this really unique world and take on the fantasy genre with undercurrents of like climate change and the state of our cultural politics. It's really cool and really well done with like the opening of it is really propulsive, and a book that I was not sure where it was going to go at any given time. I really enjoyed it. It's long, be warned, it's like seven hundred pages, folks, but it was really good. If you're looking for a fantasy novel, the absolute book, it's good. Also. I went to with our good friend Malory Rubin. I went to this rare book fair and Pasadena and picked up a first edition Symaranian no Bucks first like seventy bucks. It was great. Saw a lot of cool other books like all these like super cool like astonishing science, old pulps and stuff signed by Ray Bradbury, a lot of stuff that was just like way too expensive to buy. But here's the thing about rare books. The wild stuff is like way too expensive, But why isn't it more expensive? They had like a first folio Shakespeare from sixteen eighty that was like seventy five thousand dollars, Like why is that not like five million dollars? I don't understand, But that's absolutely fine. They had like a first edition Emma by Jane Austen. That was you know, that's like from what eighteen fifteen, which was like super expensive also but also like not crazy, like like if I was a rich guy, I think i'd buy it. It was really fun and it was great to hang out.
Speaker 4: Up.
Speaker 1: Next, let's talk Book a Boba Fette finale. All right, folks were stepping out of the airlock to dive into the finale of the Book of Boba fet titled In the Name of Honor, written by Jon Favreau, directed by Robert Rodriguez. Let's get into the recap. We open up with Boba and Fennick Shand in the ruins of Garca Flips Sanctuary Cantina Bells. I guess for a Garca Flip, I was holding out hope that maybe she survived, that Max Rebo survived, that the other members of the bands were but I think everybody might have bought it.
Speaker 3: I'm still saying that Max Rebo was on his day off. I will not accept it, but I do feel like they've basically returned Max Rebo to his like pre New era or continuity where it was like we didn't know what was Did he survive the Bodge did you know? So I'm taking that doing this, but in my hypecanon, he is definitely still alive. I will not.
Speaker 1: I mean, my guy survived the bar, so he has survived worse. I hope that he's still out there. Tentative bells for Garca whip. Yeah, I'm hoping Max made it. Fet worried about the war that is to come, the war with the Pikes. It is here. Fet worries that the cost of this war is going to fall hardest of the citizens of moss Espa. Mando arrives and is like, good news, folks, Cob Vanph remember him, and the people of Freetown. They're calling it Freetown now, okay, it's no longer the moss Pelgos Terrictory is. This is Freetown. Now, are coming to our aid there joining the fight, folks. It's good news now. Of course, Mando does not know that cad Bane wounded, slash killed Cob vmph and certainly murdered the Cobb's young deputy just your moments after Dynn left, Cop Vance and Vant and his people will do the job for free. Mando says, it's kind of free. It's free in terms of money, but Boba needs to let the people of Freetown shut down the spice straight. That's the deal. Shand is like, I don't know. That's like a lot of money, and Boba's like, don't worry about it. In the I know we're going to take an economic hit because all of my illegal activity finances are based on this, or at least some large amount. But it'll work out in the long run. We don't know how, but Boba seems confident that it will work out in the long run. But still, even with Chrysanton, with the Mods, with Finek at his side, Boba's side is outnumbered. They're outnumbered. Boba wants to wait out Van's arrival at Joba's palace, where you know it's more defensible there. But then scat and trash of the Mods are like, okay, coward, go hide and you mention away from the people.
Speaker 2: A solidarity with our proletariat brothers demands that we not retreat one step from the ruins of moss Espa's premier nightclub sanctuary.
Speaker 1: So Boba's like, okay, fine, well we'll meet the foe here.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: This is a terrible idea, terrible, terrible so the ideas we're concerned about the citizens of moss Espa, so understanding that Boba is the target of this fight, we should remain here amongst the people of Mosesba so that the battle is closest to the people we are trying to protect. Drash I don't think it's a good idea, but you're young, and you got that fire and you care about the people, so like, let's go with it and just see where the chips fall.
Speaker 3: I feel like Boba's going to stop taking as much advice from teenagers. And I actually love I love the.
Speaker 1: Mod squad, I love the cool I do love them.
Speaker 3: We had like that's the cyberpunk stuff that we never get to see, where people make those choices and that makes their lives and those are like cool additions to their bodies and the way that they live their life. So I love that aspect. But also I'm like, Boba, you could have just gone somewhere far away and made cat Baane meet you there, so that Mosski would have been like, Okay, as we see, this plan does go terribly wrong, it goes very.
Speaker 1: Very sideways, but nobody ever really presses Boba on it. Later anyway, That night, cad Bane is stalking the streets of moss Isley. He arrives at the Pike's headquarters. The mayor is there, The mayor of moss Espa is there talking with the Pike Captain. Cad reports that Free doown will stay neutral, they'll stay out of it, and the mayor worries that what about does Fet have any other allies? What about the Tuscans? Where when he was with the Tuscans for a while. Pike Captain says, Aha, guess what, They're all dead and we kill them and Boba Fett thinks the NCTO rators did it, and Boba committed genocide against the NICKTO rators. So that is I completely that that contract has closed. That is completely shut down. Don't worry about it, Boba, We'll never find out. And all of that is tied up with a bow. The mayor objects to the bombing of garcif whips. The mayor is like, listen, what am I gonna be mayor of if you guys look just completely destroyed the city, So please stop doing that. This is obviously problems since Fet and company are holed up in the ruins of Sanctuary and kad says. Cadman says, well, well, hold on, I think I know how I can get fet out into the open. And to be fair, it's not even like a secret plan. It's literally just like a walk up and like say some stuff. Anyway, and most icley, it's nighttime and x Wing lands at Pelimoto's garage. Pelly and her droids leap to attention. They're thinking the New Republic POPO were here to raid the joint and check their certificates and see if they have the correct documentation. But it's actually a Grogu and are two d at the wheel of this ship? No cops. Pelly tells R Two that Mando is in mos Espa, and then she feeds Grogu a massive tray of eels. Grog Who's hungry.
Speaker 3: Grogu's hungry boy and also good. I'm pretty sure this is like such a weird, silly strig. But I'm pretty sure this is like an episode one video game Eastrig where I think there's dung worms and she says they're dung worms or something like that. I'm sure one of our listeners can get me right, but I'm pretty sure that it's a it's a really one of those one of those things that we've said we liked about this show where they're constantly bringing in weird little bits of cannon. So, yes, the baby eats some more gross food. This time they are eli worms.
Speaker 1: He said, it's just very very hungry growing boy. Back in moss Espa, Fennick briefs the leadership. This is a weird, very tell don't show scene in which Fennick lays out there really not great plan, but again we're going with it. This is democracy in action. So the rest of the gangs, the Trandoshans, the Aquaalish Plutonians are going to honor their packed with fet and stay on the sidelines. Shan says, very unconvincingly, the Gomorians are going to go patrol the spaceport with like two butcher knives. Chris Hinted is at city Hall by himself, and the Mods are gonna be with their comrades in the workers district. Everyone is keeping an eye out for the Pikes, and I say that with not meaning to take a shot at scad as you see. Fenix says, all our flanks are covered, no one is sneaking up on us. Okay, not the case that's whatever, right. Once Cobb Vant and the Freetown people arrive, you know, FET will have the numbers and then they'll be okay. And then Matt Berry, the voice of eight D eight announces in that beautiful, beautiful, silky thick baritone that someone is here to speak to and it is cad Bane. Of course, Fet and Bane have a long history, and we get we get that wonderfully played out here. I thought in one of yeah, anytime Cad Bane is on the screen and talking to Boba Fet, it is like, wow, this is great that we're seeing this. Fet gives Cad a version of Leah's I thought, I smelled that foul your foul stench kind of line. Bain is like, listen, I'm here on behalf of the of the pikes. We would like to negotiate your surrender. Bobasa is like, no, no, dice, you got to clear out, and Cad is like, oh, well, guess what. Cob Vance is dead and his people aren't coming. You should never have left him without his armor. And then Kad's backup appears on the parapets and it's clear that all of a sudden, Boba is heavily outnumbered with no chance of reinforcements, and Cad gives Boba one last opportunity let the spice flow, as in Frank Herbert's Dune or else. Boba says, no, he's not going to talk to the help. He's not gonna talk to Cad Bane, who's just like a hired gun. He wants to talk to the Pikes. He wants to talk to the Pike syndicate leadership, and that's it. Cad then drops that, guess what, you want to talk to the Pikes. They're the people who killed your Tuscan family. What now? But you didn't know that? And this is like a fun callback to yet again, a moment from a New Hope in which an in is So party is framed for the murder of an indigenous tattooing tribe. Boba just knows deep in his bones that this is true what Cad is telling him, and so Kad says, like, why don't we just duel over it. Boba is like, I can take you. He can't, He definitely can't. Fennick shand has to come out and talk Boba down. Bain is like, you're soft now, you cowered, and then he walks away right then Drash Radio is in to say something in the Worker's part in the Worker's Quarter feels really really weird. And then boom a massive ambush that is happening all across town. The Aqualish Gangs of the Quarter ambush the Mouds, the Transdosians and Bush Chrysantan, which you know really pisses him off, and the Clatonians attack the Gomorians. Let me just say this about the way Boba and his team outfitted the Gomorians. The Gomorians die here spoiler bells for the Gmorian guards. They get pushed over a fucking cliff. It is so hot breaking and horrible, heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: It just happens. It's just like pow, You're dead.
Speaker 1: The squeal, like the squeal as they fall is terrible. Boba, you have your two guards who are incredibly loyal to you. You spared their lives, and they are just down for you. They'll do They put themselves in massive danger many times over the course of the series. They don't have armor. They're out there with no shirts on, in shorts, with no shoes, and all you give them is like kind of big steak knives. In a world in which blasters and like various grenades and laser beams are possible, and you give them like large knives. They're not cut out for this. They're not ready to fight off the attack that takes them down. You fail them, Boba, you fail themmorians.
Speaker 3: The coladal damage chair is like, this show has such a high body count already, and the coladal damage in this episode, You're just like, Wow, this plan was so bad. I don't know, I very rare. I understand you were ambushed, but I just feel like the number one rule in any tactical situation or a horror movie or anything, it's like dose PLoP. If you've got a ragtag crew, you're not a tacticularly trained group who know these different ways. You just some ragtag space folks like you know what, Just stick together, guys, don't up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you two take your knives to the spaceport and just lock it down. No, that's not gonna work. Boba and Shand are completely shook by this ambush and unaware is they are shocked at what is happening. The mods and Chrisanden can be overrunning at any moment. Vand and the Freetowners aren't coming, so Feneck is like, okay, we launch, we split up even further. We launch it decapitation strike on the Pike leadership on moss Isisley, the major domo under duresses like, guess what I know? Where the h where the Pike headquarters is. It's the Desert Survey Office right there. Shan sets off at a sprint from Mossizley and we get that, you know, the moment in Avengers marvels the Avengers when it seems like the Jaitari are gonna win. We get that moment here. But then Fennick Shan badasses the Mods out of trouble. She tells him, listen, go to Sanctuary where you should have been anyway, go help Boba. At that moment, the Pikes are surrounding the burnt out cantina. But luckily it seems like cad Bane isn't there. He's out doing why yeah, where is it? What is he doing?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: It's popping off, and cad Bane is.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm gonna I'm taking a I'm taking a dump. There's nowhere to take a shit out in this entire city now that Sanctuary is gone, the only place with a public restroom, I'm burying my poop in the desert. Sorry, I heard the shots, but I couldn't come because it takes me five hours to poop.
Speaker 1: So Boba and Mando are facing down the Pikes from the air, flying around as a mandalorian. Din's creed will not allow him to leave Boba side. The Majordomo offers an alternative to fighting. Perhaps he majored in negotiation in college and on coursant, and he is uniquely qualified to act as an interlocutor for fet and the Pike. So Fete says, okay, go ahead, here's my demands on an iPad. Take this out and read it to them. The Domo reads the demands of the Pikes, and these are the are as follows nothing. You will leave this planet at your spice trade. If you refuse these terms, the arid sands of Tattooine will once again flourish with flowered fields fertilized with the bodies of You're dead. Who knew Bobo was a poet? Like this with the literation.
Speaker 3: Literation also one of the few, if not only, times that somebody's ever written in live action Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Also like Boba just really typed that out quick, like first draft this guy has it.
Speaker 3: He's got the boss, the major demo. Why was he surprised by that? He could have just read it before he went out there, Like when he starts fading out like he's horrified, and I'm just like, my guy, he could have just read it before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta do that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: He's well done.
Speaker 3: And it leads to a very badass fat Mando team up, which I think everyone wanted.
Speaker 1: We wanted it, and we got it. They strike from the air using their jet packs, are flying around. We get the big fight, which is very, very big and takes up most of the remaining episode. Side by side, Fete and Mando Unlesia, storm of blaster shots, knee rockets, wrist rockets, everything at the pikes and the homes and businesses of the citizens who Bobo has swore to protect and who the Mods were very worried about. Now they're fighting like outside of their doorsteps. It's okay. Only the best gar is keeping Mando and fet upright long enough for the Forces of Freetown to arrive. Oh big surprise, the Forces of Freetowner. Here we learned that cob Vans is seriously wounded slash, perhaps dead, from his wounds, and then the Mods arrive on the scene, followed quickly by an enraged Chrysantin who was limping into view. Boba shields the limping giant with his own bestcar covered body. The Pikes pull back, but they're only pulling back to allow for the arrival of a pair of Clone War era Scorpiineck annihilator droids. Boba and Mando draw the fire of the droids so Santo and the Mods and the freetowners can all just like get out of there. They're blasters. The Dark Saber even cannot penetrate the annihilator shields. Boba flies off to go get something without explaining to Dinjarren why he's leaving. He just leaves, which you know, for din Jarren, the Mandalorian must be like a dire violation of the creed, and you know, din Jarren is like, you Fucko.
Speaker 3: He's like, this isn't even my fight, and I am here, and you're.
Speaker 1: Like running back to get your keys or some of your wallet that you left in Java's mouths, you fuckhad. Mando is just like running for his life and he runs straight into the waiting arms and open a car door of Pelimoto and her droids. They're just like racing around the city willy nilly, like trying to avoid getting stomped out by these Annihilator droids. And who is in the car with Pelimoto? The baby dads are the baby and he's wearing the chain mail shirt, and Mando's like, what are you doing here? And it is a wonderful moment, as every moment with Grogu on the screen is back to the fight. Drash says, folks, the annihilators are annihilating us. Yes, that's true, but we can't fall back any further and shouts to Sophie Thatcher's English accent here, because I guess like her, her logic is there's no cover if they fall back any She knows the neighborhood, and it's like, if you fall back any further, there's nowhere to hide, okay. So she comes up with a plan, and tell me, if you've heard this one before in the context of Star Wars, you take the high ground? What about that?
Speaker 3: What about that ogg coming on?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: What about that, Rosie? What if we take the high ground? The freetowners provide Drash with a sniper rifle and a partner and they go to find a rooftop from which to snipe. Meanwhile, Mando, Grogo and Pelly are about to get blown up. So Boba, in the nick of time, arrives on Rancor Back. Now, we had previously heard from Boba that it would take a lot of time and training to learn to tame the rank Corps and to ride it, and apparently that has been taking place off screen during this time. And it's fine now because Boba can just ride that thing and they are a devastating team. There's a brief moment in this that is so good. So the fight is going on. The Annihilator droids are like blasting everything. The Pikes are in the street shooting, shooting at the freetown or shooting at Chrisanden and the mods, and this is like a massive gun battle heat Michael Mann's Heat level gun battle going on in the middle of moss Espa. Right then Bolba arrives on Rancorback and we get this shot of the street merchants of moss Espo who are like still at their tables looking up and being like, oh my god, it's a rink. Why are you guys on the street.
Speaker 3: This is why are you there? This is such like you can really tell that Favreaux and Madriguez like they're really going back to those Western influences on Star Wars because they were like what always happens in these kind of movies where it's like there's a shootout, and to show how bad the shootout is, you need to show everyone who's like selling booze or whatever. They're selling things on the street and then they run inside and they close their windows, you know, and this is that moment you're like, guys, they should have happened like ten minutes ago. Why were you still outside? Like how it's still alive? Yeah, it's like a fucking.
Speaker 1: Two Annihilator droids running around in the street and there's like a hawker out there like, oh, melons, melons, get your water, get your juicy water, providing melons here two for three credits. It's like, guys, there's a war going on. So the rank Core comes and everybody is like, now that's it. That's the final straw. We're running away. Boba and his rank Orps are just an incredible destructive force. This is really really fun to watch, really really cool. Mando ignites the dark saber slips inside an annihilator shield manages to slice it up. Then Grogu uses the force to lift the droid up, saving Mando's life, but getting hit in the chest with a little bolt from the annihilator, which sucks. Meanwhile, the Freetowners, the Mods and Crysantan are holding up in this like a little alley, and Drash and her freetown partner now are sniping from a roof. They're holding the pikes off long enough for Boba in the Rank Corps to finally destroy one of these annihilators. Then cad Baine shows up, showing a real veteran savvy. Here, cad Bane hits the rank or in the face with flames from his wrist unit, which really bothers the Rank Corps. Boba and cad have their showdown. Boba insists that he's fighting to protect the people of mos Espa. He's learned the value of teamwork and a tribe. This former loaner has come full circle in his emotional growth. Boba has the absolute gall as like a sixty year old man clone to call cad Bane old. Cad Baane is then like I'm gonna beat your ass, and then He draws Boba and proceeds to beat his ass. But then Boba, calling on his Tuscan experience and the expertise that he gained as a member of that Tusk tribe, kills Cadbane with the score point of his gaffy stick. Bells for Cadbane. One of the great shocking moment to lose Cadbane. Here, Boba's pet Rank Corps, enraged by like all the things that have happened, goes rampaging across moss espa Din sees that the beast, now in full King Kong mode, even to the point of like climbing a tower, is afraid and everybody shooting at it is not really helping, So he flies onto the ranker's back and Bronco billy style. He's like, Okay, I'm gonna ride this fucking bronc and I'm gonna tame it. No, that does a work. He gets thrown across the city at his force to use a flamethrower to keep the Rank Corps from like eating his head. Mando quickly enters concussion protocol. After getting like thrown through a wall, Grogu steps up and uses the force to basically Natasha the Rank Corps. Hey, big guy, the sun's getting real low. The forces with me and go go to bed. The Ranker and Grog go to take a long winter. Snap shand arrives in moss Iley near the spiked heads of the stormtroopers at the Desert Survey Office, and she wipes out the Pike leadership with ease, even going so far as to lynch the fucking mayor of Mosses.
Speaker 3: She does that fast too. She's like, pow, this is what happened to him. You see what's gonna happen to you.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was not prepared. Listen, I get it. The mayor is dirty, the mayor is corrupt. You got no, you have no objection from me on that account. But I was not prepared for Fedikshd to lynch a elected official.
Speaker 3: I'm very interested in this thing as well, because, like you know, I know, we'll talk about it more, but like it's very interesting to see Boba exploring this more familial like were all this soft that he wants to be a good gangstuff. But the real reason he's been able to keep power is because Fenic is brutal and phenick like knows what needs to be done. So this is like a really interesting way to essentially like end this part of the story.
Speaker 1: Fennick is an extreme badass, as we get to see in these scenes later, mass Espa is at peace. Folks, all the all the fighting.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna rebuild all the buildings rancor destroyed? They're like they're just chilling.
Speaker 1: They're like, that's on Boba now as Daimyo the mayor reason, the mayor of bas Esma is dead. We won't talk about how that happened, but you know, like I'm sure not a lot of people are gonna know that Fedi should which the mayor, but they just play it on the pikes. They're gonna they're gonna look to Boba fet now to rebuild. He and Shan, Chrysanta and the Mons are now firmly in controlling moss app Espa under the now peaceful twin Tattooine sons, Din and Grogo meanwhile fly off world to have their further adventures. Dinn is an unbelievable pushover when it comes.
Speaker 3: He's he's not chi pusher, but like he's just been waiting to get told what to do by the baby.
Speaker 1: I know he's like tries to pretend like he's gonna be tough, like, no, no, I'm not gonna what No, stop tapping on your glass dome. No, okay, fine, And then he goes to light speed or hyper speed or.
Speaker 3: The baby just wants to go into hyper space.
Speaker 1: Because the baby loves to go fast. And then we get our stinger, which is Cob Vance stewing in Bulba's back to Tank and over overwatched by the Modifying Man aka Thundercat, who is preparing to make Cob Van f a some sort of cyber RoboCop. I was hoping that we would get more. Yes, producer Saul brings up something interesting, which is like, why wasn't wasn't Chriysantin gonna take a take a take a spin in the back to Tank. My only thought there is Chris Sanden, Like, we don't know that book He's have a healing factor, But Chrisanden shrugs off some pretty serious wounds without a back that think like routinely that happens all the time with him.
Speaker 3: I also think that they specifically had Boba say that to him so that when we saw this singer we would assume it was Chrisanton and then be shocked when it was called Van three. We thought was dead.
Speaker 1: When we're back morebet, we're back. Let's talk about this finale. I thought it was fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's an action you know what, It's an action episode. They actually kind of took a little bit more from the prestige TV set up, especially Game of Thrones, where you have your big episodes in like the two last episodes, and then the finale is like the kind of fallout episodes. So that that I think is interesting because this is very different to a lot of Prestige TV. It's much more serialized, Flashcoordon esque storytelling, the kind of stuff that inspired original Star Wars. I like all the action, I like all the characters, so I was fine with it. It definitely it's tough because we all know that the Mandalorian and Grogu's stuff is very moving and it gives that emotional heart, and I think for a lot of people, the last two episodes were really powerful for that reason, and because they put Boba back into that kind of mysterious, enigmatic cameo that he'd been that had worked so well. So I think this was like a little bit more of a kind of messy mash up, but like, I also like seeing people shooting each.
Speaker 1: Other and monsters in the desert, so I'm like cool, I also love that listen. I love Boba riding a rank corps. I love a great big gun battle. I was a little here's the thing that I wonder the easter eggs that was in the reference that was like dropped multiple times of the course of the series, and I was like, Oh, we're gonna get an answer to this. The multiple references to Tattooine having an ocean in its ancient past. I thought for sure that was going to play into the climax of the show somehow, And I wonder if we won't get something like that in the Obi Wan show. I wonder in connection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this definitely feels to me like it is a really really fun kind of diversion and it is really less about the we talked about this in pre pro but like it's about expansion rather than like pushing things narratively forward. So I think all of that, even like Boba's little poem about the lush, you know, plants of Tattooine and stuff, they're talking a lot about these different eras of Tattooine, how it looked, how so that I feel like that a lot of what happened here was sowing seeds and introducing stuff that might not have been known to people who haven't read the books or watched the cartoons and stuff like that, so that when it does come into Obi Wan or Mandalorian season three, they'll be like, Oh, I remember that from Boba Fair or that's so. I feel like that this will be a series where a lot of people, when they're watching whatever the next things, are going to be coming back to and looking at those moments or quoting those teasers and easter eggs that seem to be building to something that when we watch it, we'll go, oh, that's what it was about. Oh that's how we got here.
Speaker 1: Do you think we get a book above at season two or are we gonna like I don't think it's something about you don't think so? You know, I think just like a tattooine, like a mass Espa Stories kind of anthology.
Speaker 3: I think it would be more like that. I don't necessarily think it would be called the Book of Bobaffet. It might be something about. It might be a Feni Shan spin off. It could be a mod Squad spin off. It could. I think it's more likely that The Mandalorian is our narrative kind of thrust the series that everything else is tied to, and I feel like these things that are building out the world, it's almost like the expanded Universe. Maybe we would get another series of Bobaffett, but I don't think it's gonna The Mandalorian could really go on for as many seasons as they want it to. It's that kind of It's the Star Wars show, and I think these other ones are sort of like little stops on the wider map of the galaxy to explain like stuff that we learned about mass Espa and the politics of it and the way that it's established. Now, we will go back to that in the Mandlor in season three, no question, Like we are going to meet these characters, We're gonna see Black chrisanitin, We're gonna understand more because of what we saw here. But I don't necessarily know if the plan is for us to come back and directly continue this story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it's interesting. I am really intrigued to know, you know how the Boba Fette Daimyo project goes, He's he's cut himself off from a major source of income that the that the business, the elite illicit business that he inherited from a Jaba depended on in large part, and now he's not going to have that. But he's also set himself up as someone who's going to support and defend the people of mass Espa and me in a way that maybe they've they've never had before. So I would like to see more, But yeah, I wonder how they would do it. Thinking about the way that this show really became like the Mandalorian season two and a half, as many have noted, I do wonder if the feeling isn't we've done our Boba Fett thing. How do you feel about that? By the way, a lot of people criticize the show because they're like, oh, Boba Fett is so boring as a character, is bringing Mandalorian and you know, other sorts of criticism like that, which I think are fair from a certain perspective, but also like, obviously, I as a human being, I'm in the tank for Star Wars. I'm a Star Wars fan. I love my shit. That said, it feels like a weird criticism to me, because like, don't you those were when Mando came in as a story really took off. So I'm not gonna sit here and criticize what I think is a really unique and interesting creative decision just because it's like, doesn't vib necessarily with the title of the show. What did you think of that?
Speaker 3: I think it's really interesting. I think I think we kind of touched on it last week. Like my main thought about it, which is basically, I think it's really hard to make a show about someone like Boba Fett, who's essentially an Avatar character because everyone's just seen they can imagine all the cool things he does, and you don't really have any confirmation of that within any canon except for the expanded canon, and even there it's rare, so trying and expand him on a live action is never going to sit well with everyone. But I actually I like this reversion to this stuff that when The Man Laurin came out, a lot of people thought it was quite boring until the end of the first season.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely true, and I the first few episodes were people does anything happen here? Like anything?
Speaker 3: I think, like for me, I can understand why Jon Favreau and Rob Rodriguez, Dave Filoni these are the stories they want to tell because these are the same kinds of stories that inspired Star Wars. So it's the Flashbordon serializations. It's the kind of like Batman sixty six, like what's going to happen next? But it doesn't have to be a that's going to happen next in the scale of the galaxy. It's what's going to happen next with this funny creature who owe you some money? And also, something that you touched on that I thought is actually really interesting that we haven't really talked about is in a way this goes back to one of the oldest Star Wars criticisms of all time. That's also one of the things that certain Star Wars fans love the most, which is the concept of kind of bureaucracy and politics like that is what George Lucas wanted to explore in the prequels, you know, absolutely, and in this way, something that I think is really interesting that Boba Fett reflects of that kind of legacy of Star Wars is the idea of like what happens when that bureaucracy isn't there? And how can somebody kind of try and make a better space in the galaxy, which is what all of Star Wars is about.
Speaker 1: How do we govern this uncoverable like so.
Speaker 3: When you've never had a good like kind of road map for that, and something I kind of think is funny a criticism as people are like why is Boba so bad at being a gangster because because he's never been one before? In that way, I kind of think that it's actually an interesting exploration, and I definitely I always want to see more sort of radical imagination brought to these stories that we see about, like the worlds we could live in or the ways they could be governed. So I actually think there's something really interesting about a community governance kind of focus on this of like how can we make things happen without really having a hierarchy, and and how can Boba give back to these kids and these people on mos Essper who are the reason that he's still alive and the reason he has this power. That actually is interesting to me, and I very much think that it reflects things that have gone before in Star Wars, these ideas of governance and rebuilding, And in that way, I think it would be really cool to see it explored more. But I definitely feel like the Bottle episode nature of like having the mandluriing come back in it being Mad Laurian episodes. I think that might be the future of this world, might be ball episodes in other shows returning back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean certainly if you look at Clone Wars, that was kind of the model. There'd be like three three episode arc here, two episode arc here, but it was a lot of kind of like Adventure of the Week stuff, So I would not be surprised to see that. It's something you said about governance and about the way Boba is, you know, cooperating, is collaborating with the Mods and with other people really made me think about how this was like one of the more overtly class conscious I dream about it a lot in the recap, but overtly class conscious Star Wars stories I think I've ever encountered, with the Mods really pushing that argument of you've got to understand what's happening to the people here on the street level of Mossas, but who don't have opportunities, who don't get to, you know, retire to a massive fortified palace with a with a you know, free back the tank in the bedroom, Like you've got to understand what the actual people are going through, And that was a large part of the finale, even to the point of it was semi comical, but like the part where the Freetowners the drashes like Freetown partner, they have this little back and forth about oh, the city versus Freetown more like country. Meanwhile, it's like, you know, Freetown looks exactly the same as Massa. It might be a little bit smaller, but you all live in the desert like an out of the way, you know, let it. But that was fascinating to see that kind of play out, the ideas of like city versus country and and different class conflicts within Star Wars.
Speaker 3: I actually think that's really interesting and probably a reason why me and you have had more favorable reaction to this is I think as we dig into it, it's actually touching on a lot of stuff that we loved from the last Jedi, which I know is like we always says a divisive movie. It's like some people love it, some people hate it. There's very reasonable criticisms on each side. But for me, it's like there's a lot about that movie that I love, like Justice for Finn. I truly believe he's a Jedi. It's my one critique. But otherwise, like there's a lot about that movie I love. And the end of that movie has that massive, like kind of class statement of like everyone can use the force, that you do not have to be an elitist, bloodline, legacy family, you do not have to have been trained from birth as a child soldier. By this like ex cult of like kind of one percent is you can literally just be a kid with a broom who's in indentured servitude and you can use the force. And I kind of I love that was This kind of accessibility democratization of the force was so exciting to me. So I actually think that bringing those seeds of class conversation and class consciousness into this kind of more ground level Western no magical force whatever, but like, yeah, I think that's actually part of the reason why they're exploring some stuff there that I think Star Wars is really ripe ground for. And I think that in that way, even if it's been a little bit clunky for some people, or it's.
Speaker 1: Always its star, it's always going to be kind of clunky.
Speaker 3: And I think as well, that's something else we we've kind of talked about before, you know, we've recorded, but like, it's a really strange space to be in when a movie that was made and expected to be a flop and was allowed to have for creative creative freedom that when you watch it now with my new hope obviously is just got a lot of janky effects and all this kind of like it's it's you know, it's it's it's an old movie that was made with practical effects that looks a certain way and has always been a bit clunky space.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 3: That's the point of it. That's and so to have gone on this journey over all these decades and ended up in a space where it's now owned by this huge corporation and not just that, but it's now creating art that is put up against prestige TV. Yeah, I think that is a lot of where these not even necessarily critiques, but maybe people's kind of confusion about oh, what they're wanting for the show or or how they feel like it should fit into this space. Is it really comes from the fact that this is essentially like a B movie that has like become this huge cultural zeitgeist force. And in that way, it's kind of like, yeah, the conversations are gonna be a little bit clunky, Like there's gonna be some funny cg that maybe doesn't fit, or there's gonna be like a funny accent or something that's kind of what Star Wars is.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be a big battle, a climactic battle that takes place specifically because characters make.
Speaker 6: A series.
Speaker 1: That don't make any sense but are necessary for this big, really fun battle to take place. I agree with you. I think they're Listen, We're in a moment now where nerd culture, for lack of a of a better, you know, more artful term, is kind of like the dominant storytelling mode in movies and television, certainly in the discourse, the internet centric discourse around pop culture. And I think that that is again like you and I are in the tank for this stuff. Like I'm a you know, lifelong comic fan, lifelong Star Wars fan. This is the moment I've been waiting for all my life to talk about all of this. But I think if this was not your thing, or if you were just like like a lot of people who were just like kind of like casually into Star Wars, casually into comics, and then you moved on with your life and grew up to it, you know. For lack of again, for lack of a better term, I think that there is probably one something anxiety of like, God, is this what the world is?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I have to talk about this stuff now?
Speaker 2: Like this is it?
Speaker 1: If I want to commune with people about a movie or about TV. It's like I have to talk about this and not the Sopranos. And I get that, if you know. And I think also there is the way these stories are told are kind of not like the way TV and movies have unfolded in the past. There's different needs that are serviced. There is a different type of engagement with the fan base. There's a like more of a two way communication, less of an authorial kind of we will tell you what the story is and at least an awareness of what the fans want and desire. That makes it a more kind of like two way conversation. And I think that is uncomfortable for audiences and or critics who are not you know, naturally either naturally versed in this subject matter or who just don't like it, ye are not fans of it.
Speaker 3: I also think that's a really interesting point that you made about the two Day conversation because something that I think about a lot, and this definitely occurs in Star Wars, but especially in comics, a lot of what we know in the world of Marvel and DC is actually defined by fans and not because of not because of like internet campaigns or whatever. I'm talking about decades ago, like people talk about, We've talked about the multiverse a lot. So anyone listening has probably heard of the term Marvel six one six, right, and that's kind of seen as the main Marvel comics timeline, and we've heard it referenced in the movies. That was put in a comic many years ago by Alan Moore, But it was fans who decided, via forums and conversations and conventions, they made that the accepted term, to the point where Marvel used to say, please please, that's not the real term. The six one six doesn't exist. And then because of years of fans doing this, talking about it a certain way, and that becoming the sort of accept colloquialism for it, it then becomes canon and it's put in a Marvel movie as a sort of nod and all these different things. So in that way, those conversations really do happen because and I think Star Wars speaks to this a lot, because of the lulls, like when there wasn't a Star Wars movie for ten years. You know, the things that keep it going are fans who go to conventions. It's people like Mark Hamill who will go and keep the kind of fire of it alive and the love for it. And in that way, I think that makes it much more of a two way conversation, and that is very different to a lot of other ways that art is created, even though that passion is very shared. Like the reason that certain art house films and directors are famous and are popular and become part of the cultural lexicon is because of the people who love those movies. So in that way, it's actually very similar. But that ongoing conversation between the people who create comic books and Star Wars and is kind of what is now seen as like populist are and was before seen as like nerd stuff. That is that's such a good care because that is such a unique, specific way of interacting, and it's also completely fine if people are like I have no interest in that, Yeah, Like I don't want to be a part of that. I think a lot about Wonder Vision, right. I loved that show.
Speaker 1: It was like everything.
Speaker 3: It was everything that I could have ever wanted because it was based on these really weird eighties comics that I love. It was these weird characters. It was this tragic romance. But I think so much about that show where if you are just a casual TV viewer, even if you've watched the MCU movies, if you watch that show, I just can't even fathom how inaccessible it must have been.
Speaker 1: For some people.
Speaker 3: And I think about that a lot, like I think there can be TV for all kinds of people, but I can also understand how people can become frustrated when the most popular pop culture things of TV and film can be very inaccessible to a casual viewer in a way that certain things haven't been before.
Speaker 1: There's an interesting conversation going along these lines right now with the Oscars, the Oscar nominations for released. We're not gonna go into that, but you see a lot of like Richard Brodie's column in The New Yorker talked about how there is a discussion of, oh, you know, should Spiderman No Way Home be nominated somehow to raise the ratings for this Oscar telecast? Wouldn't that connect cinema more with the kind of like populist urges that really the art form was built on in its early decades. And I listen, I love spider I don't care if it's not I'm nominated for an Oscar. I don't believe you know, it's not to me. Do I think about it as an Oscar movie?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: But I think it speaks to this kind of like underlying anxiety that is out there amongst critics and some people who make movies and then television of like, oh my god, is this just when is this going to be over? Is this just like what the world is like now? Like we're just gonna have to talk about Spider Man all the time. You know, maybe I feel bad for the people who are again are not fans of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you raise a really good point, because earlier you talked about like the discourse as we call it. You know, I think the Internet and the way, you know, so many things are digital. Now we just heard the terrible news that EW is going to be out of print, you know, two hundred jobs lost and all that. So that's happening more and more. So the internet has this extra kind of shine. It controls a lot of the conversations. And the funny thing is, like we've talked about this in pre pro Our, producer Saul has made the most incredible list that I'm about to reference. But like, the funny thing is, like superheroes, comic books, this stuff has been a cultural staple for decades. Yes, Max Flice's first Superman cartoon, Uh just want to say, don't be going and seeking those out on this recommendation because they are very racist. But it was nominated for Best Short Subject Cartoons, The Original Superman Movie, Batman eighty nine, Dick Tracy, Ghost World, History of Violence, Dark Knight, Logan Joker. Like, there are many many movies that have been recognized by the oscars, and there are many comic books that have been adapted and being seen critically as valuable forms of art. I think that the way that the Internet is and the way that we are experiencing these movies a lot of times because of the way that MCU is highlighting things like Easter eggs, needing to make people want to read the comics, which to me is so exciting because I want people to read comics and I want them to love comics and understand where these stories come from. But I think that is where it becomes overwhelming for some people, where it feels like that is the only thing that is being talked about because that's what we're writing about. I mean, that's most of my job, and I feel lucky every day. I thank people who listen to the podcast. I thank people who love this stuff because, like you said, we've been preparing for this our whole life, and we never knew it would be able to be something we could live doing to talk about these things that we love and to revisit them. You know, I'm doing a lot of coverage in the lead up to The Batman, and I'm getting to kind of go and read a twelve issue AREK and do a big excavation of what worked about it, what do I like about it? Speaking about Jimley and his incredible art, you know, that's so brilliant. But I can definitely understand how in a world where previously a lot of the things that got to have that level of in depth excavation and exploration and theorizing and talking on what kind of what people would see as high art. I can understand how it can be a bit of a juxta, a kind of strange jarring juxtaposition.
Speaker 1: Finally, let's any predictions for either Boba and Fennick as characters or in the ongoing story of a potential book of Boba Vet season two, or even how this dovetails into the Mandalorian. I'm struck by listening to the size of the N one Starfighter tells me that Dnjar in the Mandalorian is not going to be bounty hunting anytime soon. There is just not There's barely any space in there. So we're going to see I think a lot of Monster of the Week slash Adventure of the Week kind of stories, is my guest, But any theories as we go forward, I.
Speaker 3: Totally agree with you on that. I think that we're going to continue this conversation between the Mandalorian and the Jedi way because the truth is that sure Grogu picked being a Mandalorian, good choice, love that for the baby happy that was the right choice, but he is definitely going to get his hands on that the.
Speaker 1: Baby. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love Herzog so much talking about our high art low art conversation. So having him in the Mandalorian. I talk about the baby all the time, and I always feel like Verna when I say out.
Speaker 1: There is the baby.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see the baby like I would like to see it. But I think that people are gonna Grogu is this mysterious race. He's force, powerful being. People are not going to leave him alone just because he chose the man glory in way, and I think that that is going to be our big conflict going forward. People who want to understand the Force, people who are Jedis, who believe that actually he should be with the Jedi. They don't care what he picked. It's not really a choice. It's a legacy. It's like something you have to do. It's a duty, you know. So I think that's it. I also think they just wanted to have him in that cool and the boosta fighter.
Speaker 1: I know it looks so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I think that for Boba Fenik, the mod Squad, all of whom I really really do care about. I love soft Boba like that works for me. I love creature work. I love animals, so that connection works. But I think that's bottle episode appearances. I think we see different versions of them going forward. Maybe we see younger versions, maybe we see older I think a lot of what we're seeing now is seeding this generally expansive vision of how we can see people come in and out stories again, just like we've seen them do in this series with stuff from the animated universe.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, I threw my olive branch to the to the folks, to the critics and the people who don't like Star Wars and or comics, and now I'm going to make them mad with this reference. I would not be surprised to see a book of Boba Fete season two that was kind of like season two of The Wire. Sorry I'm saying that just to make a critic matter, but you know where we get where it's not listen already. Season one was uncomfortable being purely Boba focused, right, So I think that that focus even widens out further. I would pitch a type of show that follows the mods for certain stories, that follows Boba, for certain stories that follows Fennick, for certain stories that follows the people in Freetown for certain stories, and is about them building a community from the ground up, creating this tribe, and we follow the members of that tribe from story to story, not necessarily focused on any one character. The book of Boba Fet then is like an anthology series where the character in the main is moss Espa and the surrounding areas as it as the people here struggle to build their own story, to write their own story independent of interference from the Pike Syndicate or anyone else from the outside. I think we'll see something like that if we get a Boba Fet season two, not just focused on Boba Fet, and then for the Mandalorian I agree with you, We're getting into the real meat now, this kind of struggle between the Mandalorian cultural influence and the Jedi cultural influence on Grogu and how Dinjarren can either remain respectful of that or seek to influence that. I think that you mentioned like obviously Grogu chose the chainmail, and Luke was apparently so pissed that he couldn't even fly Grogus like you behaved. Yeah, are two you go fly a back. I'm not dealing. I'm sick of this ship. I'm gonna sit here and just watch my droids build the time to kill and a stone by stone. I'm pissed, but I think that that struggle will continue. And as you mentioned, you know, Grogu chose a chain mail, but is also using the force and using it with more skill and ability than than we've seen in the past. His powers are growing, his ability to call on them and growing. His comfort level with himself as a user of the force is growing, his confidence is growing. So I think we're gonna see that more. You know, Listen, Grogu, we can't say it enough. He's still a baby. He's a growing baby who wants to eat, eat, eat, eat, and eat and play with shiny things. And as his ability to use the force grows, will his How does that interact with his child like nature?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 1: Like? Does his wisdom grow to meet that? And I this is the part of the story that I've been waiting for and I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 3: Told lest we not forget, this baby was choke forcing people like he was using the dark side. He was using the dark side, and Luke doesn't seem to know about that. Slash didn't necessarily teach him though we were speaking to the more duality, almost like a gray Jedi kind of version of Luke that we see at the end of Jedi. But yeah, I'm really interested, and I definitely think you're onto something like Dave Filoni, Robert Rodriguez, Jon Favreau. They love this serialized storytelling. They love these adventure of the week stories. They love these little arcs that they perfected, you know, especially Dave Filoni in the cartoons. So why not have Boba Fett and Book of Bobafette, you know, pointed out it's called book. It's literally stories. You can do different stories. So I think that that's a really good call. I think we could likely see that be the route where that's where they get to do this style of storytelling. And I'm the Mandalorian, I'll be one of these other things. Each one's going to tell different kind of narrative, take a different kind of narrative framework.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to talk about those stories as they appear up next our nerd Out segment. In this week's nerd Out, our recurring segment where you tell us what you love and why and why we should also love the thing that you love Anthony pitches us on Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files series.
Speaker 7: Hi Gang, I'm Anthony. I love the show and I wanted to take a moment to nerd out to you about one of my favorite universes to get lost in, which is called The Dresden Files. It's a series of novels by author Jim Butcher that is currently up to seventeen books long, three short story collections, a comic series, a collectible card game, and a full blown pen and Paper are. The books are an urban fantasy that take place in modern Chicago and follow our hero one Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, the often touted only working Wizard PI in the Yellow Pages. He is a wise, cracking, spell slinging wizard who often helps the Chicago Police Department and other worldly organizations to solve crime and bring down batties when things start to go bump in the night. How did I get mixed up in The Dresden Files. Well, I really discovered book one called Stormfront by chance in a local bookstore, and I was immediately hooked by the witty banter, the lovable characters, and Butcher's awesome spin on the genre. By weaving historical, mythological, and pop culture into his stories. In What Feels Fresh, why should you check out the series? Well, Dresden and his Steadfast friends tackle everything from ghosts, werewolves, demons, vampires, and evil wizards, all while he's shooting his mouth off in a way that all at once invokes Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Spider Man, and maybe even a little Deadpool. There are battles with necromancers involving zombie dinosaurs. There are prophecies and fallen angels, paladins and dragons, all happening under the nose of a very ignorant population of mortals. One of my favorite editions is the idea of different flavors of vampires. For example, in the Dresden Verse, vampires exist in different courts. The Black Court is like your Dracula, the White Court is like your Twilight day Walkers, the Red Court is your dust till Dawn vamps, and the mysterious Jade Court, well, they're unconfirmed.
Speaker 1: I also like how.
Speaker 7: Deep Butcher dives into the idea of classic fairies, or as they prefer to be called, the she. In my opinion, it's a crying shame that the property is not really erupted into other media formats like video games, board games, or streaming series. But despite that, I think you'll really enjoy the books. We're all eagerly awaiting the release date of book eighteen, but both book sixteen and seventeen came out in twenty twenty, So if you want to check out what is sure to be a hit in the near future, pick up Stormfront and you won't be disappointed.
Speaker 1: Thanks Anthony for submitting. If you want to be featured, send your nerd out pitch to x Ray at crooked dot com. Instructions are in the show notes. Up next. We're in the endgame now, folks. Yes, we are in the endgame now. And today Rosie and I ponder who is getting that beautiful shiny Medal of Yavin for winning the Book of Boba Fette series. We all, of course know that Chewbacca is not going to get it because he was cruelly locked out of this guest being just the disrespect echoes throughout the ages. But we are allowed to give our medal of Yavin to anyone who we do so please. I will go first. I'm gonna go with my Medal of Yeavin. Gosh, there's so you know, the appearance of Dan Jarren in the middle of the series, Grogu getting to see Grogu's early training with Luke on the unnamed beautiful forested planet where Luke is currently building his temple. But I'm going to go. I'm gonna go with Sophie Thatcher, who was so fantastic in Yellow Jackets and is having a moment right now, is wonderful in this series as the leader of the mods co leader of the Mods. They're kind of really they are commune, so there's no real leadership structure, but the main no hierarchy so to speak. But the main character along with Scad is Sophie Thatcher's Drash And for me, the winner is Sophie Thatcher, who is from Chicago. Sophie Thatcher's Carrie Fisher talking to Grand Moth Tarkin esque English accent. Would you call this a British accent you as a as a as.
Speaker 3: A seizen, this is this is a British accent, very much in the legacy of Star Wars British accents, which was Star Wars was made originally, you know, in pine Wood, so a lot of the actors had English accents and that kind of led to this generic English British accent throughout Star Wars history. So I love it. That is a great pick.
Speaker 1: I recognized your fell stenched when I was brought on board, says Drash. We cannot retreat from here. We must fight, and if we retreat there will be no cover. I was born here. It's just beautiful, beautiful work from Soviet that er is it? Can you place it at all? Is there? Could you give us again as an expert, like where if you heard this in the wild? Where could you say where this where? This accent?
Speaker 3: There's no specific area, but it's called posh. Is a posh accent, That's what it is. So it's like it's like, you know how everyone thinks the English people all speak like Mary Poppins, Like a lot of people don't think I'm English because I don'ts be like Mary Poppins. This is kind of the Hollywood. It's not as outrageous as Mary Poppins, but it's like it's that she sounds posh. She pronounces things very eloquently and kind of like that. So it's it's definitely always the it's the Hollywood English accent and I love it because I love Sophie Thatcher and her hair. I would like to add that I was going to pay pick Sophie Thatcher, so I'm adding that she'll get the medal also for the shag cut that I call it the share.
Speaker 1: She is having. Man talk about two cool haircuts in two consecutive shows, Yellowjackets and now Book of Boba. Fett shouts to Sophie Thatcher their haircut and the accent Rosie, who wins your medal? Of you Oven.
Speaker 3: There's so many people, mine is like again, probably a duel situation.
Speaker 1: So no, just go go, let us let us know everyth's so many things, so I think I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Grogu obviously loved the Baby loved in. I loved the moment in the finale where he like rose himself at dinn and then he's like tapping his helmet like take this shit off. I want to see your face dad like and AND's like, nah, no, there's people around, like not right now, man, not right now. So that was very cute. I loved to see Thundercat joining the Star Wars universe. That was like unbelievably great casting, and that to me is like very high up there, like, and I love their role. It's I know it was all a bit chintzy, but I love like a good cyberpunk story. So the mod Squad I loved them, and the other one, I think the real medal one because we're gonna make up for the past with you backups. Okay, it's gotta be black chrysandin come on, he means you.
Speaker 1: For doing this.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We're doing it to make history, to make history right. But also because I loved to see the internet reaction to this character, like seeing people first after this like sexy, black metal wookie with like and there's all these like images with like all these love hearts put over there, and like, I just loved the pure outpouring that was there for him like this, people just want to be loved by a Wookie who can test someone's arms off if they're better a game than them, like, and I feel like as well as a Wookie fan. There was a lot of cool Wookie moments, like him getting angry in the bar because Wookies are just inherently comparitive and he hates to see people win.
Speaker 1: Getting to whoop some leathery Transdotionan asks us transitions are known in slavers of Wookie people. Was like, very very cathartic. That's a great pick and that's it for our endgame. Who do you think one? Who is your pick for the winner of Book of Boba fet Who would you give your personal Medal of yeaving to hit us at hashtag XRVN game to give us your pick. A big thank you to Rosie Knight for joining us on x ray Vision. Rosie plug everything, plug all your stuff, the plug, plug it all.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's me, Rosie Knight.
Speaker 1: I have a website.
Speaker 3: If you google me. On that website you can read a lot of comics. I have a lot of comics on there that you can read for free that I have written. I am Rosie Marx Marx on Instagram and also Letterboxed, which I am actually updating this year, which has been very hilarious because I have very strange tastes. Apparently I'm learning from my letter box.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I will have some exciting comic book news coming up soon that we have talked about that I cannot say.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also if you are excited for The Batman, which we will obviously be covering, I will have a lot of articles coming up in the lead up and afterwards, and if you want to read anything about The Batman now. I interviewed Matt Reeves almost two years ago about a really wonderful TV show that he made that was a science fiction TV show based on a series of photographs, and during that we just it was a really long chat and he talked so much about The Batman, and he talked about how much he loved Batman returns, and he talked about all these different things to do with them and the things that inspired him. So if you want to have a look at that, it's there's a few different articles on Nerdist if you just search Rosie Night Matt Reeves. If you're excited to see Robert Pattinson, I'm always excited to see Robert Pattinson always.
Speaker 1: I love listen. Oh he loves And I think that he is one of our I don't is he underrated. I think he's an underrated actor who makes it thinks incredibly cool choices.
Speaker 3: He probably won't be underrated after The Batman, is my guess, because like that's the kind of role where people will go, oh, why was he picked for this? And then they'll find good time or they'll find you know the lighthouse. Also, if you want to enjoy Robert Pattinson talking about those, GQ did this unbelievable twenty minute interview of him introducing his most iconic characters, and it's a great primer on why he was picked for the Batman, but it's also hilarious. So that's like my favorite thing I watched this week.
Speaker 1: Well, justice for Cedric Diggery. If you want to learn more about what we explore each week, check out our listeners guide to all things Extra Vision in the show notes, we're on our website. Catch the next episode on February eighteenth, and again, don't forget to send your nerd out submissions to x rayac croocket dot com or just to bother us to cover something if we are not covering it, if we haven't covered it yet, if we mentioned that we're gonna cover it and we haven't done enough to your liking, just keep haranguing us. We love it. What's the thing where we like to be punished. Just punish us with your takes that you would like us to give, and keep inundating us with the things you would like us to cover. Don't forget rate and review us x ray Vision five Stars to the Moon on every podcast platform please x ray Vision its Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Gerard. Caroline Residing Carlton Gillespie are our consulting producers, and our editing and sound design is by Vassili's Photopols. Big thanks to Brian Vasquez for our theme music. See you next time. Hey, Mike, this is his doctor Marina.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about the rank on today. You know, did we don't talk a lot about the fact that Boba fet without a kind of training with it, just connected with his rank. Call Mike. This guy loves animals and it is paid off in a big way because he took that rankle out for a ride and they just demolished those Annihilator droids.
Speaker 1: The Annihilators got annihilated.
Speaker 4: You want to talk about irony like that, Mike. Listen, The rank law is here to stay, Mike, and he is here to just be a wonderful pet and a wonderful partner for Boba Fett, who is just going to be riding around the sands on the back of that beautiful little beast. Mike, I gotta tell you, I gotta say he did better than I ever thought he would in his very first battle. The baby is here and I just love what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Mike.
Speaker 4: I'll take my hands off the air.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 6: In the nineteen seventy these, a young group of violent revolutionaries joined forces to create the Weather Underground Organization, a group of radicals who brawled with police officers and bombed the Pentagon, all in the name of ending racism.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 6: I'm zaid Ayrsdorn, host of Crooked Media's new podcast, Mother Country Radicals, which dives into the true story of how my parents and their friends went from peace loving activists to topping the FBI's Most Wanted This new episodes of Mother Country Radicals are out every Thursday. Listen and subscribe wherever you get podcasts.