Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media. Hello, and welcome to cool people who did cool stuff, which is sometimes cool people who are actively doing cool stuff, because sometimes the people that I'm talking about are still alive. I am your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and this week I am actually talking to someone that, from my point of view, is a living person who does cool stuff. Coridoctro. Hi, how are you Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to be classed among these still alive. That's one of my bucket list items I can scratch off now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still being alive. Yeah. This is usually a history show, as I think that people who are listening now, but I also have been more recently interested in talking about things that are currently happening, and you're one of the people who talks about the things currently happening in a way that I really appreciated. So I wanted to have you on for people who don't know your work. You do a lot of things, and I think you know that I originally know you as a fiction writer, and I know you for writing and just an incredible number of novels that I've read, including ones that are probably very relevant to our listeners, like walk Away and more recently The Lost Cause. But also you do nonfiction. And I learned this word a while ago. Would you consider yourself a public intellectual?
Speaker 2: No, I hate that so much, like I strongly prefer activist. I think public intellectual is like how you launder the fact that you don't want people to think of you as an advocate. Okay, for a specific perspective, if you want to maintain the pretext of the you from nowhere, I think you call yourself a public intellectual.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'd rather be a public demagogue than a public intellectual. I want to be on top of a fucking barricade with a megaphone. I don't want to be like scratching away in a you know, study with a glass of whiskey. I mean, I'll take a flask of whiskey up to the top of the barricade, don't get right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good thing. It goes with the megaphone very well, because if we're moving in as is sometimes necessary, to climb barricades.
Speaker 2: Hard on your throats, screaming through the megaphone, you want something to cut the dust afterwards, a little anesthesia.
Speaker 1: That's true. Okay. When you think of yourself, do you think of yourself as a fiction or nonfiction writer first, or like what do you what? What was your dream as a kid?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, definitely to be a fiction writer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I came up through the first and last approximation of formal apprenticeship for science fiction writers in the history of the world. And it was all due to this one woman, Judith Merril, who was great science fiction writer, editor, and critic. And Judy had been married to Frederick Pohle and their marriage broke up in sixty eight, which was also they were in Chicago. It's when the Chicago police riots happened, and she decided she just couldn't raise her kids in America, so she went into self imposed exile in torontok where I grew up. Like all the best Americans, I'm Canadian, and she just had this variety of gigs that she used to create this thing that was really like, as I say, a formal apprenticeship for science fiction writers. So first of all, you should know she got the books in the divorce and she gave them to the Toronto Public Library System. They formed the nucleus of what's now the largest science fiction reference collection in the world. It's called the Meryl Collection. Oh amazing, Okay, she eventually let us change the name to that. It was originally called the spaced Out Library. She didn't want it named after her. And when I was like nine years old, I went and took a trip with the school to the spaced Out where she was the writer in residence. And I knew who she was because my dad was in radical politics and so was she, and I knew her from that because her other gig was introducing Doctor Who on public television.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: OK. And when my mom was at Teachers College and out in the evenings, my dad would cook dinner and we'd eat it on the sofa with my baby brother and watch Judy introduce Doctor Who. And she basically talked about like where the tropes came from. And she was like this tough old broad who chainsmoked and had iron gray hair and a gravelly voice. And she would come out and she'd say, like, tonight's episode is about time loops. I remember we invented the time loop at a Futurian house spaghetti podlock dinner in nineteen forty seven. I'll never forget because Isaac Asimov was there and he would not stop squeezing Cmcornblue's girlfriend's ass. He wrote thirteen stories about time loops that night. I took them on the A train to Rockefeller Center in the morning and threw them over John W. Campbell's transom. He published them in the ensuing year, and this is where the time loop comes from. So I knew she was because I'd seen her do the shtick every week. And she was like, kids, if you write stories, you can bring them to me at my library, okay, and I'll make them better for you, like scenes to ten year olds. Right, And she's this like towering figure in the field. This is to be Canadian about it. It's like Retzki offering to help you with your stick handling.
Speaker 1: Right, It's okay, this is actually one of the only sports figures I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. And he's turned into a maga guy, which sucks, but no, yeah, and he started making the shittiest rye anyway. So I had a subway pass I used to go down and bring her my stories and then she would put the writers who she thought were kind of compatible into writing groups. So, you know, seven or eight years later, she put me in a writing group with Carl Schrader, and then eventually that group included people like Peter Watts and Alan Weiss and a bunch of other you know, science fiction writers from the city, from the region, and it was just one of many different groups that she'd started. We were all kind of Judy's kids. I went to work at the science fiction bookstore at Baca Books, which is the oldest science fiction bookstore in the world, when I was about eighteen. That store was started when she bullied a local fan into opening a science fiction store. I sold my first story to a Canada's science fiction magazine on Spec when I was seventeen. That's a magazine that was starting.
Speaker 1: I seld it on Spec.
Speaker 2: No, this magazine was called on Spec. I did also sell it on Spec. Like. They didn't commission it from me. I sent it to them over the transom. Yeah, this was how sharp fiction works. Yeah yeah, so or worked changes from your to ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that magazine on Spec was founded by two fans out west who she bullied into starting a science fiction magazine. I edited a volume of the Testrax Canadian science fiction anthology, a series she began. I worked on a Canadian science fiction TV show as a consultant called Prisoners of Gravity that was started by the people Who basically, like she mentored when she was doing The Doctor Who Gig, It was on the same public television network on TV Ontario. She found this thing called Toronto Hydra that was modeled on this New York thing that had happened during the Golden Age where groups of writer would gather every like six weeks for a potluck and you know, movable feast. And so all the writers and editors and critics and illustrators and filmmakers and TV people and everyone in Ontario would get together, you know, like ten times a year at this event that Judy started. So she was just like a fucking machine. And she was you know, she was an incredible writer and critic and editor. But like her great contribution was this right that she created this system. Even the weird alternative high school I went to had this incredible writing workshop that I found out years later Judy founded ten years before I got there through a writers in the School grant, and it was modeled on Clarion. OK. So when I got to Clarion, I knew how to workshop because I had been doing Clarion workshopping at high school through this world, and I spent seven years in high school mostly because I just wanted to stay in the workshop, like it was just she was just a force of nature. So I always wanted to be a fiction writer. Okay, as to like, do I think of myself as a fiction writer or a nonfiction writer. I am living in the very strange end stage of a lifetime of removing all the Jenga blocks that weren't low bearing from my life, such that every activity I engage in now is something that cuts into multiple parts of my life and work. So everything is doing double and triple duty as an activist, as a writer, as a journalist, as a novelist, and so it's very hard to like kind of take one thing and say, oh, well, today I'm doing fiction writing. You know. People say, like, how do you know when it's time to write something up as fiction or nonfiction? And I'm like, I usually do both right, and usually what each one makes the other one better. And sometimes they do them at the same time, sometimes they do them in succession. They don't always come in the same order. And so I'm both and not only am I both, but they are inseparable now because all the things that I used to do that would have just been in service to fiction I've stopped doing because I wanted to do more of the other stuff in my life, and so I double down on the things that serve more than one pillar, and at the expense of the things that were uniquely about one thing. I mean, right now, maybe the one thing I'm doing that's very fictionee is there's a writer who I quite love, who's incredibly problematic, who I'm convinced we can write stories in his mode and rehabilitate his mode without the He's a pulp writer from the fifties, and it's just like super homophobic and super sexist and often very racist and whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, it's not who I was guessing. I thought that we were building up to Hinland. No.
Speaker 2: No, it's John D. MacDonald, the guy wrote Cape.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know it, who.
Speaker 2: Wrote seventy plus novels, including a couple of science fiction novels, mostly hard boiled detective fiction. Travis McGee series is the one he's best known for. I went on eBay at the start of the summer and I bought everything from someone selling like their dad's pulp collection, like seventy books for seventy dollars, And I'm working my way through them at the expense of books by people who I really want to blurb and review, and I'm reading this instead, and there's nothing in there that's in service to activism, and in fact, the thing that really reminds me of I once ran into a Werner VINGI at an event in like August one year, and I was like, how's your summer, and he said, oh, my god, I discovered Terry Pratchett at the start of the summer, and not since I was ten have I discovered a new writer at the start of a summer where I could read a new book by them every.
Speaker 1: Day, Right, Terry Pratchett would be that.
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm doing. I'm reading a new Pratchett novel every day this summer.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Forty one Discworld novels, plus twenty plus and stillary other books. And so yeah, Verner was just like working his way through the cannon. And that's sort of what I'm doing with John Dy McDonald, because the lesser books are really lesser, but each one has like one or two just like fabulous moves. He's got so many great moves. He was Stephen King's favorite writer when he died. Stephen King tried to convince the son to let him out this race, like he's so many writers, favorite writer, but oh my god, Like I'm reading a book now where he's like trying to figure out who's murdering a bunch of people, and one of them is a woman who's been killed, who it turns out has been the lover of a woman who we learned as a lesbian. And he goes out to see this woman. It turns out she has been the lover of this lesbian who was killed in an earlier scene, and she is in with the butches, and like the description of the butches, because I'm listening to it on audio. I was like in the pool and I'm just like doing my laps and listening to this just fucking surreally, like just like it's like he had a catastrophic brain injury between the previous chapter and this one. It's so stupid, so bad, and it's sandwiched between two amazing chapters, like beautifully constructed, beautifully written chapters, and it's just like what the fuck, John? And so I'm working my way through and making so many notes about like I'm just gonna steal all the good moves right and leave the shitty ones on the side of the road. And I'm gonna I'm writing a pulp novel right now called Once His Enemy Action, which is like a Bond reference because three times his Enemy Action and Bond.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And I'm just like, I'm finding so many little grace notes I just want to fucking steal, and I'm just stealing them like crazy. Is this gonna be so good? So I'm just loving it.
Speaker 1: So this brings up a thousand things for me. But the idea of taking a pulp mode and applying it to the activist fiction or you know, there's a lot of words that all sound bad. Activist fiction sounds bad, Didactic fiction sounds bad. There's no way of saying like fiction that gets across ideas that doesn't sound bad, except science fiction. But like when I cite when I talk about didactic fiction, like fiction that is meant to teach a lesson. The people I reference are you, Lagwin Butler and Heindline.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, that's good company to be in.
Speaker 1: And I think you do it the most like Heinland. Okay, just to inside Baseball. But I don't mean this badly.
Speaker 2: No he's good at it. He's got such shitty ideas and he makes them sound so reasonable.
Speaker 1: Right, right, totally, And so for anyone who doesn't have any fucking clue what we're talking about. When writers try to write about ideas, there's a lot of ways you can do it. You can drape it in metaphor that Laguin I think is a master of. Sometimes Lagoin's very literal, but like you know, sometimes the entire book is a specific metaphor things like that. You can also be really fucking direct and hindline and you and I actually might be pronouncing Highlight's name wrong, but I've read more books by him than any other author because my dad was really into him.
Speaker 2: No, it's timely.
Speaker 1: Like I remember you wrote a book called was it Pirates? No, it was the one about for the Win.
Speaker 2: For the Wind. I thought you wrote a book for the Wind. I'm like, this is going to be for the Win.
Speaker 1: And that's your most didactic But possibly so if you ever want to read a book that just explains capitalism and how it works by way of people who play World of Warcraft, who gold farm, which is a thing that people used to do for a living, especially not in America. If you want to hear about gold farmers unionizing and how capitalism works, read for the Win by Cory Doctro, And you do it. It's not seamless. That's the thing that's interesting to me about it. Right, You're like, here's an aside about how capitalism works, about how like money works, how different exchanges work. But it never bores the reader. Sure right. You don't switch to an essay mode. You switch to a dactic fiction mode. And I think that you do this better than almost any other author. Is one of the reasons I wanted to talk to you about it. I wanted to talk to you about you know, kind of it's the big meta question. It's the giant question like how do you use fiction to unfuck the world? Or how do you use fiction to ask the question how do you unfuck the world? And what leads you to different methods of talking about this stuff in your fiction.
Speaker 2: We have these these alleged rules in fiction writing like show don't tell. Yeah, And I think show don't tell is actually advice, not a rule, and it's advice for a thing that's not working. So we never really know why fiction works. Like there's something foundationally irrational in the process of enjoying fiction. Right, you're reading about someone who you know doesn't exist, but you're experiencing empathy for them, which is like not a it's not a reasonable thing. It's like, facially, it's it's kind of stupid right to experience empathy for things that don't exist. Like, it's one thing to experience empathy for even like an a animal or an ecosystem or whatever, but for an imaginary thing weird, right, And so we don't always know, like we don't understand exactly what's going on, and so when we encounter something that doesn't work, we make guesses about why it's not working or how to make it better, which are often two sides of the same coin. So one thing we know about fiction is that it is much easier to get a reader in the mode where they experience empathy for imaginary things that they know don't exist when you're using drama. Yeah, and there's something about that that kind of triggers the kind of empathy response that then makes the esthetic work of the fiction start to happen. But notice I said it's easier to do it that way, not that doing it in other ways. Not that being discursive or expository is bad. It's just hard, right, right, So like if you were, like, if you're trying to do like a dance routine, say my kid is a com headitive dancer. She's on a hip hop dance team. So there are aspects of the choreography as they're getting closer to the competition where they'll go, this trick would be amazing if we could pull it off, and we can't, and better to do a less impressive trick better than this impressive trick. Badly, the judges will like it better. And I think that if you're critiquing someone's fiction, right, if you're an editor, or you're in a writing circle or critiquing circle, or if you're instructing someone. I was your clarion instructor at one point. Ye, then you encounter something that's not working, you go through it and you're like, well, there's this like giant chunk of exposition here. And it's not that this giant chunk of exposition could not be made to work. I just don't know if this writer can make it work, or you know, like I don't know how to tell them how to make it work. So I'm going to say, stop trying to do this fucking hard thing and do an easier one. Right, But exposition that works, Holy shit, it's great. Right. We still read fucking Moby Dick, a book that's just about like exposition about whale hunting, right, it's a techno thriller about whale hunting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kim Stanley Robinson will make me read about landscapes in it Arctica.
Speaker 2: And Mars totally.
Speaker 1: Now I look at geography different because I have read hundreds of pages of that man.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. So yeah, So, like there's so much of this right in genre, and genre is not afraid to do it, you know, like if genre has a thing that a move that doesn't want to make because it doesn't want to bore you, right, right, which like there's boring fiction that's really good, right, Like there's lots of plotless kind of character study fiction. It's very subtle and whatever that you know, science fiction, fantasy, pulps, thrillers. We just don't want to try doing it right. That is fucking hard to do well, to be boring and interesting, Like it's it sounds like a contradiction until you find someone who does it well, and they're like, oh, I just like, boy, I just like I read this whole thing and when I was done, I just felt like I've been knifed in the guts. And I no, I didn't never saw the blade, and I just don't know where it came from. And like, yeah, with genre, you always know where the blade is, right, there's a great will and give some bit. Where he's interview in the Paris Review about writing science fiction, He's like, I'm in a lineage with dash ol Hammett. I'm a pulp writer. I can plot. My tractor has wheels on it when I you know, like I sit down to write a story and I get that thing in gear and it just starts to fucking move. And that's who I am, and that's how I write. I might be florid, I might be poetic, I might do all this other stuff, but I am a plotting writer, and I'm a genre writer. I'm a plotting writer too. There's always a lot of stuff happening, but it might have exposition, and you know, you want to rate a plot. He writer read Neil Stevenson, Right, this is a guy who's got so much stuff, but also a guy who's never afraid to do exposition. Right, there's a bit in cryptonomcons sixty three hundred words about eating cereal that is so interesting and cool, and I'm like, I just want that expanded to full novel length, right, like write his thesis about eating Captain Crunch, which like, it's so good and unless a writer could never pull it off. And Stevenson, especially as early books, they've got problems right there. Every book is flawed in some way or another, right, right, he got a lot of shit for his endings.
Speaker 1: I think writing a novel is the hardest thing I've ever done, huh. And then I keep doing it and it's like, but why do I keep doing this thing that's impossible?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Which actually I don't mean to completely derailue, but that's actually how activism feels. Is this thing where you like, you can't do it right. I've always suspected parenting is like this, you can't get it right, but you have to do it. And novel writing always feels that way to me, because it's like there's just actually too many things happening in order to get it perfect.
Speaker 2: Aspiring to make no mistakes as stupid, aspiring to learn from your mistakes is great. Yeah, you know, like there's that line in Bird on a Wire that Leonard Cohen line, I swear by this song and by all that I have done wrong, you know, like, yeah, yeah, you know, it's just it's such. It's like in love and parenthood, in art, in activism, you'll never you'll never get everything right, but like you can aspire to make new mistakes rather than the same ones over and over again. And you know, I think that's what makes groundhog Days such a great movie. Is like watching someone like systematically approach making better mistakes, although he does eventually get perfect, which I think is silly. Yeah, but it makes the story. It gives it a nice happy ending, puts it.
Speaker 1: It's stuck in the plot, you know, you like, you have to get perfect in order to get out of it or whatever. So any given problem you're trying to cover and for people aren't used to your work you cover like surveillance and technology and climate change and more recently I've seen you talking a lot about AI and stuff. But like, what works better? What do you communicate better through fiction versus nonfiction? Like what are some of the advantages of fiction?
Speaker 2: I mean, fiction is like it's the fly through the architects rendering of the emotional state of what things will be like if we let them get worse or if we make them better. So, you know, the architect designs your new house, they make the architects rendering, then you fly through it and you get a sense of what it would be like to inhabit that house. Yeah, And the dystopia is like if we let this go on, And the utopia is what if we do something different? And you know, it's so hard to feel what things might be like if they're better. You know, there's a famous Marx quote about like not writing recipes for kitchens that haven't been made yet, right, And I think that, like science fiction is often about writing recipes for kitchens.
Speaker 1: That haven't been made yet.
Speaker 2: You know, like, what would it be like to live in this if we were different? And you know, I think that, like I can say as a matter of policy advocacy that so I should say. I've worked for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is the most important and most established digital rights group in the world. I've been there for nearly twenty five years as an activist, and I am cursed with object permanence which means that I can remember the policy fights we had twenty five years ago where we said, if you do X, why is going to happen?
Speaker 1: And then they happen.
Speaker 2: So now that we're living in why I can go like this is because we did X, right, because these policymakers, these advocates whatever, they did it and like we shouldn't do that again. It's very frustrating having object permanence among people who don't even the people who lived through it, but also the people who didn't now get why it sucks to be old because you're surrounded by people who didn't see the mistake the last time and want to make it again. But like all my friends who are like AI sucks, so we need more copyright, I'm like, dude, like crawling the internet is theft. Fuck off, Crawling the internet is not theft. That is how we killed Aaron Swartz is calling crawling the internet theft? Yeah, shut out about this stuff, right, ye, Like we have a labor issue, we don't have a copyright issue. We've expanded copyright for forty five years, and we are poorer and our bosses are richer than they've ever been. And it's because like we have more to bargain with, but because we have no bargaining leverage, it's just more to bargain away, Like giving us more copyright is like giving a bullied kid extra lunch money. There isn't an amount of lunch money that advises us to lunch. Right. We need labor rights, we need solidarity. We don't need another alienable right. Like an alienable right only makes sense if you really think that you're an LLC with an MFA, right, like if you think you're a small business bargaining with another business. But we're not. We're workers, right, and so we need to think in terms of labor rights, not in terms of copyrights. So it's very frustrating right to I've lived through this. And sometimes with fiction you can say the world we're in now did not have to be this way. We could have a different world. You can say the stinging rebuke that vulgar Thatcherism deserves, and you can say there is no alternative is a thought stopping cliche intended to extinguish the imagination. It's really a way of saying, stop thinking of alternatives. And when you write the alternative, like when you write the recipe for the kitchen that hasn't been built. You create like the imaginative space to say, lots of recipes could be cooked in this kitchen. Yeah, right, Like I always say this, the most important thing about the technology is not what it does, it's who it does it for and who it does it too. This is Bill Gibson's version of the street finds its own use for things, right. And you know, I know this is not what Audrey Lord meant. But you know so many people say, oh, you can't dismantle the master's house with the master's tools. Why are you talking about using the internet for anything good? Obviously that's not what Audrey Lord meant. She was talking about patriarch blah blah blah blah blah. But right, this idea that, like the tools we have are steeped in so much sin we shouldn't try to use them, it's so anti Promethean, it's so anti leftist, right, Like, you know, this idea that like every peasant should live like a lord is like the idea that excites me about Leftism, not the idea that it'll all live like peasants. Like fuck that noise, right, right, And so like I'm really interested in the Promethean project of stealing the nonsense from Elon Musk because he didn't invent it, right, he did like built it. Yeah, workers built it. The fact that he like capitalized it or jack you know, uh, directed it, that doesn't change the fact that it came from workers and that workers made it, and that it's it is the people's technology to use and choose. And the fact that it's the master's house doesn't mean that it wasn't built by the.
Speaker 1: Right the people's house. He's just the master's squatting it basically, and like yeah, yeah, Like I think, like there's one thing to hit over and over is that lunites didn't hate technology.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, they loved machines. That was their thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They were like, no, I prefer working in a cottage to a factory.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and also like I want machines that produce good outputs and not bad ones. But we're going to adopt this new technology. Let's have the people who are the technologically skilled workers, which is, you know, to be his textile worker. In pre industrial Revolution England, you need a seven year apprenticeship r right. It was like doing a master's in mechanical engineering at mit. They were the most skilled machine workers in the world at the time, and the law at the time said that new machines had to be built and deployed with their co determination, and they were insisting on enforcement of these laws, which were instead jettisoned, and the machines that existed at the time made extremely bad cloth among all the other problems they had, right right, the fabric of the industrial revolution that the Industrial Revolution produced was bad. Oh so a certification, it was a sertification, yeah, yeah, yeah, And it was a certification in lots of ways. So like one of the reasons that the mill owners loved the new generation machines is they were quote so easy a child could use them. And there just happened to be these war orphanages, Napoleonic warorphanages in London filled with children who were kidnapped and indentured to work in the dark satanic mills of Manchester. You know, this was like we actually, like one of the great forgettings we've had is like how central the Luddite cause became to the conception of labor and science fiction. So Mary Shelley was a Luddite sympathizer. Frankenstein was a lutdite allegory about what happens when you let capitalists decide or entrepreneurs decide which technology we're going to use and how it's going to be used without any say from the wider society. Yeah, her husband, his maiden speech in the Lords was a pro ludite speech. Right. Science fiction was invented to advance the cause of Luddites, right, Yeah, but not just that. There was one of the children who was kidnapped to work in the factories after his tenure of indenturies survived, and he wrote a memoir. His name was Robert Blinkoh, it's called The Memoir of Robert Blinko's a giant English bestseller. One of the people that influenced was Charles Dickens, who used it as the basis for Alliver Twist, which is Luddite fanfic.
Speaker 1: I love the strings across the board. I love the fact that everything we try to teach history as these like concise separate things. Sure, and this is so completely untrue and it separates us, yeah, from where we come from. That like, yeah, like no science fiction being invented to advance the ltte, Cause this is not a thing that gets discussed, you know, or even you're talking about coming up in a science fiction where like you're talking about this woman who built so much of the infrastructure that underlies modern science fiction, and that y'all were sort of family friends because both your parents are radicals.
Speaker 2: Like I remember she was radical and my parents were radicals. She was my parents' generation.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, right, sorry, yeah, like family friends. Yeah, And but that's not People have this like stodgy idea that science fiction was this, you know, fundamentally conservative thing, because often conservative stuff tends to linger longer. I don't entirely know.
Speaker 2: And John W. Campbell was a fucking fascist who's the most important editor in the field.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's like it's not like all science fiction was inherently liberatory and good and you know whatever. But like I remember getting introduced around a convention and you know, being introduced like, oh, you have to meet Margaret. She's an anarchist and like writers whose works I've read, like one of them was like, oh, me too, and I was like I had no idea, huh. But so there's this whole legacy. Okay, I remember when I first started, Actually you were the one of the people who told me this. When I went to Clarion West was just six weeks writer's boot camp in twenty fifteen, and Corey was one of my instructors there, and I remember I was coming in and being like I had actually even published some stuff, but always with radical presses. And I was like, I don't know, my stuff might be too radical for mainstream presses, and you were like, no one cares, Like, that's not going to stop you. The quality of your pros might stop you, right, And it's not because science fiction is inherently leftist either, although I would say that the editors at modern science fiction magazines is probably skewed progressive.
Speaker 2: Certainly what the right would tell you, well, they're.
Speaker 1: Like they're underpaid people who love books, and they're really well educated and really poor. You're probably a progressive or left right. But science fiction like has fascists and radicals going all throughout it, like it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no total I mean the Futurians, which was this like polyamorous leftist science fiction group house that Judy Merrill and Fred Pohle lived in along with Sam Kornbluth and a bunch of those other people. They were banned from attending the first Hugo banquet for being two left very famously.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that is actually huh okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this fight is as old as the as the modern genre as we understand it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: There are two great books about this. One is Damon Knight's The Futureians. Damon lived in the Futurian House.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: Damon was my clarion instructors. The guy wrote many many things found in science fiction writers of America, but if you're a Twilight Zone watcher you'll know him for two Serve Man that was his Yes and Mary to Kate Wilhelm, another great figure in the field. The other is Judy Merrill's autobiography, which won the Hugo Award, which she co wrote with her granddaughter Julia Paul Weary, which is called Better to Have Loved. And they are really two very different accounts of the same events, and they're great to be read one against the other. They're terrific, terrific books.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I think this is probably where we should end episode one. But when we come back, I really want to talk to you about how to unfuck the world. Some of your ideas about unfucking the world. The book The lost cause, changing our conceptions of what it means to protect the environment from don't build anything, to build high rises and all kinds of really challenging but really important ideas. But do anything you want to plug? What have you been working on? What's your latest stuff?
Speaker 2: I mean, the latest book is The Reverse Centaur's Guide to Life After AI. It's a nonfiction book about being a good AI critic. It's doing super well. If I can toot my horn here, I just got an email saying it's the for the sixth consecutive week the best selling paperback nonfiction book in Canada.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: It was a debut on the New York Times List. It's selling well everywhere, so it's doing great. The book before that was called in Shitifications, book about how tech platforms go bad. Paperback's about to come out. I had a call with the publicist marketing people. They've had massive orders for the paperback, so it's looking like it's going to do really well. It's going to be a Hudson bookseller. So the Hudson has originally said, oh, we won't take a book that has the worst shit on the cover. They're the ones in the airport. We won't take a book that has the word shit in the cover, and now they've taken a giant order. They keep calling every couple of weeks increasing the order, and the word in shitification just made it into the Oxford English Dictionary, which is definitely a bucket list item.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That I also love that. Like, that's the thing about capitalism is that, like they'll be like, oh, we don't do that, and you're like, look, this sells, and they're like, you know what, Yeah, you could publish your book about hanging us. It sells. I'll want to hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And then you know, as I said, I work for the Electronic Printier Foundation e FF. Dot orger is where we find out more about our work where a member supported nonprofit. Beyond writing us a check and joining you, there's lots of ways you can get involved, and if you join our email list, we will tell you about them all the time, things that are local to you, things that are national and international. And then my newsletter is pluralistic dot net Open Access Creative Commons attribution. I write five or successays a week there and they are a CC attribution, which means that you can take them, share them, sell them, dapt them all without my permission. Just cite the license, cite the original, and note if you've modified it.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, all right, Well that'll do us for today, But when we come back Wednesday, we're going to talk about more of all of this stuff. Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts and cool Zone Media, visit our website Foalzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the Fiord Radio app, app a Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.