Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Thursday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show, come on in. We'll talk to Chris Webber, Fab five Hall of Famer recap what we saw last night. It's one of those where you watch it and you go, I think I need to watch that again. The final three minutes. But the Pacers come back and shock to the Knicks. They've gotten used to this now when you think about it, staging a comeback of that magnitude on the road. Since nineteen ninety seven, there have been a total four comebacks from seven or more points down in the final fifty seconds in the postseason. This in the fourth quarter overtime. The Pacers have three of the four since nineteen ninety seven. Stat of the Day, stat of the Day, That past stat of the day, stat of the day, Here comes that what stat of the day? Tyrese Haliburton Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Tyree's Haliburton will get the headlines, and rightfully so with the shot that sent it into overtime. But Aaron Nee Smith is really the guy. This is the Nie Smith game. This is what it'll be remembering for Pacer fans if they go on to win. This is going to be the Knie Smith game because he had thirty he had six three pointers. He dominated in the fourth quarter, and you're probably going, who is this guy and what is he doing hitting all those three pointers? It was Steph Curry like in the postseason. But we tend to overreact. I didn't overreact with Okac against Minnesota. I wasn't surprised with that outcome. I won't be surprised if the Pacers win this series. But I don't look at Game one as truly a true indicator of what's going to happen in the series. I mean, you can look winning games, losing games, getting blown out, but this one counts as one and a half losses. This one just feels like it's a little more now at least you're at home, but then you start to have that pressure of we got to win this game. Indiana is you know since January, I think they've lost a total of sixteen games. They might be forty two and sixteen. This is not a coincidence. This is habit forming. They have been a great team and they will run you. I mean they are aptly named the Pacers. They are going to run you. They're going to make you try to keep up with them, and it might be a war of attrition. Can the Knicks they're starting five, survive a team that can go nine deep? And that'll be the true test. With all of this, we say, good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner radio affiliates around the country, poll question for the final hour of the program, what are we going to go with? Seaton? Yeah, we got up there right now.
Speaker 3: Greatest warrior ever, Wilt Chamberlain, Rick Berry, Steph Curry or Dylan the graphics guy here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dylan cut off part of his thumb yesterday chopping onions because we have a meet Thursday, because we're not here tomorrow. By the way, in case you're wondering, we have pulled pork sliders, We have Philly cheese steak sliders, lobster roll sliders, and we have lobster bisk all this courtesy of King's Hawaiian who is a better than we do. No body, no nobody but Fritzi's here, Seaton's here, Marvin's here, Paulic's off today, yours truly and the b rg's all right final hour poll question? Did you just give that to me? See?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gave you the options right now. Steph Curry has sixty percent of pot. However, Dylan is coming in with an impressive twenty six. He's currently beating Wilt Chamberlain and Rick Berry as the greatest second best Warrior of all time. That's a pretty good showing. God, admit it's a bad like he lost part of his thumb. That's gross.
Speaker 2: Now, that would have been reason enough. He said he was gonna come in today, but hashtag warrior.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's not even like complaining about it or anything.
Speaker 2: He's just like totally fine. I think he's proud of it. Okay, all right, I lost a little bit of my thumb. But hope you enjoyed the sliders.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna I think I'm gonna eat the lobster roll with a suspicious eye. I just want to make sure that you know nothing got in there. Yes, yes, time we should put a.
Speaker 6: Few slides on a microscope just to see if there's any cells that we need to be considered it for consuming the product a.
Speaker 2: Little science of class humor. There still slides, you know, you use a slide on a microscope, a little pheno failure auditus. So it was just kind of AnyWho, it's the only way to really see if there's what on the fruit. Any who, we can slide into the weekend. By the way, sliding into the weekend brought to you by King's Hawaiian. Hey, it's summertime, grilling season. Get ready, pick up the irresistible Kings Hawaiian rolls and slider buns and enjoy. We'll have the Pacers at the next that'll be Friday Night Oilers Stars Friday Night. I know. The only time Leon dry Sidel's name comes up usually with the play of the day in the postseason. And then Wayne Gretzky said that the Oilers had the two of the three best players in the National Hockey League with Connor McDavid and Leon dry Sidle yesterday. What's Gretzky no Saturday Dodgers at the Mets is one Soto? Is he is he kind of sulking? Is he sad? I keep seeing these articles that he's not happy with the Mets, yes, and questions.
Speaker 6: About his hustling to first base and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: He's not giving up, he's moping or something. I don't know, and I don't know. Seven hundred million just can't keep you happy.
Speaker 6: But living paycheck to paycheck, it's got to be a tough life.
Speaker 2: Grass is always greener.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wanted to play for the Yankees. I love that, Like I just I don't.
Speaker 3: I think I'm making it up at this point, but I always imagine Wan Soda standing with a bat in his hand, resting on his shoulder, like, so.
Speaker 2: Where do you want to play that year? Whoever's got the most money? Yeah, touch an, That's all it is. That's basically what it was. Whoever's opening up the bank account. If Scott Morris is your agent, you're playing for the highest bidder, not where you might be happiest, but for the highest bidder. Yes, Marvin, I can't believe twenty years ago we were like two hundred fifty two million dollars for ten years. That's crazy.
Speaker 5: A rod.
Speaker 2: Thunder Timberworf's Game three and then Charles Schwab challenge. Can Scottie Scheffler win his third golf event in a row? That's sliding into the weekend brought to you by the great folks at King's Hawaiian supplying the King's Hawaiian Slider buns and rolls today for our Meat Thursday. A couple of phone calls in here see Webb will stop by as well, Rick and Coral Springs. Hi, Rick, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan? First time caller, longtime listener. Loved the show six foot used to be two of four, Now down the one eighty eighth, feeling good. Just wanted to bring up something that's been bugging me about Jason Kelsey and the toush puss. He used to Stan of the podcast that he hated to play, didn't like being at the bottom of the pile, and now all of a sudden he's the face of it. So wanted to ask you. I'm wondering exactly he said that made the team shift. He said he never got Did he say he never got hurt? That's safer than it looks. But if he hated it, then clearly something about it made him feel uncomfortable. Just curious where that shift came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, unless it was the owner saying to Jason Kelcey, you're retired, We're still playing. We still have a really good offensive line and a quarterback who's really good at this. We need you to help us. We need you to be a lobbyist. Let's go to the owner's meetings, and we want you to be the spokes person for the touchbush. But yes, he has said, and once again, I truly believe the center is the most vulnerable to injuries in this situation. The touch bush it survived. I don't think it survives next year. You need two more votes and then they'll get rid of it. But in the meantime, the Eagles will continue. You know, if I'm the Eagles, you can run different variations off of this. You know, I could line up Saquon Barkley out wide or Dallas Goddard outwall. I mean, I could do a lot of different things off of this. If you think that we're going to be one dimensional, although you're doing something great, don't mess with it. But it felt like they were trying to do a couple of different variations off of this formation last year. Trey in Ocean Springs, Hi, Tray, Hey, Trey, can't hear you? Trey, try again? Brian in Tampa, Hi, Brian wents On your mind today.
Speaker 8: Good morning Dana and the Milfords Man Cave Ernest Brian Gregory Junior the third five ten, two fifteen this morning. So I have the solution to the toush push is. Having played through college, people don't know what a train wreck the trenches are. I was never in there, thank god, But I say they change the rules the defense. The linebackers can walk up on any offensive play, field goal, extra point, toushpush, run play and shove the nose guard or the d tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not going to do that because it's a helpless you know, that center is not ready to engage with you. They won't allow that. You know, they're trying to cut down on injuries. They don't want something blatant like that. If somebody gets hurt at the bottom of a pile on a toush push, maybe maybe you know, that'll get people's attention. I just don't think it's going away, the fact that, I mean, you almost ad it, and I think they thought they had it. And I don't know if Kelsey going in there and the Eagles, you know, saying, you know, why are you penalizing us? And really that's what it sounds like you're penalizing one team. I'm okay with it. Do I like to watch it? Not really? But they're beating everybody else at something that everybody else can do. I don't have a problem with that. It'd be like if you say, hey, Mahomes can't throw to Tyreek Hill. That's not fair. He's too fast. Can you can you take you know, put put restrict plates on him?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 2: The Patriots out smart people. I have no problem with this. Everybody can do this. They do it better than everybody else. Thank you. Brian John in Minnesota, Hi, John, WIT's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Dad?
Speaker 9: I call all the time. I was going to tell you have one of the better lines in cinematic history, and that's my boy. Would you say you smell that? I smell ratings you're talking to Donning Berger. My questioned what ratings are going to be the best for the final? But what does the NBA of the business want to see for the two final teams?
Speaker 2: They want to see the Knicks and Okac. I think you would want to have the MVP, and you want to have the New York audience. You want to have everything that goes on with them, and people will get caught up with if it's Indiana and okac, Oh my god, it'll be the end of the NBA. Get ready for that. I just watch. If you don't, that's that's up to you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Stan, there is a It's not just because we're in that scene. I think, however, I think that there is a scene in Uh, That's My Boy where one of the characters craps his pants and it is one of the in the moment when we were recording it, we were all laughing out loud at how funny it was. And then when you watch it back edited together in the movie, it's ten times funnier. It's one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in an Adam Sandler movie.
Speaker 2: And yes, we are in it.
Speaker 3: I get that I'm biased by it, but damn is.
Speaker 2: That funny Andy Samberg, Andy Samberg, he craps his pants and it is so funny just how fast that scene moves and all of the jokes in it.
Speaker 3: Damn that it really really really makes me laugh.
Speaker 2: And I have recorded all my lines for Happy Gilmore too, and like a lot of lines, I just don't know how many are going to make it in the movie, and how many are going to be with me on camera or just my line where they show Happy Gilmore playing golf. I'm gonna guess probably most of them will be just my voice underneath voice of yeah yes, but that's okay. I'm fine with it. I just want the movie to be great because the build up has been almost impossible to live up to the hype. That's true. You know Michael Boublay Boobs, who is on the voice, Yeah, the famous singer. He sends me a text the other day he did, and he goes, hey, I saw Happy Gilmore too. You were awesome. I love the movie, Boobs. Dude, that's great. I know that. Yeah. So Michael Boubley sent me a note he got to see the movie. I am a question, why did you get to see it? And I haven't. I did not, And I'm very careful with saying that to Sandler. You know, I just I'm very you know, appreciative that I get to be put in these movies. You know, I don't want to be like, can you can I have a love interest? Can I get killed in one of your movies or something? You know, got to be careful with your ask, was Sandman, because he's very generous, very generous. I just don't want to I don't want to go past the boundary here.
Speaker 3: That that generosity light, that generosity sun, when it has shone on you, is just so warm and inviting. And then when it is turned off, it is so cold, very very cold. It is so cold, very cold.
Speaker 2: But when that light is on you, when that sun is on.
Speaker 3: You, it's like, hey, boys, you want to go to dinner. We got a movie for you. You want to fly on you?
Speaker 2: You want to do that?
Speaker 3: Man, that is great? And then it turns off. Yeah, remember how warm we used to be in that sun?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah. But he did that movie or those movies with Jennifer Aniston where they're in Europe, and I thought, okay, you know, maybe sparks can fly on the set with Jennifer Aniston. I could be in the movie. And I said to Sandman, I said, oh, I see where you're going to do a movie with Adam Sandler. He goes, Danny, Danny, this is Aniston's movie, not mine. His way of saying, you're not in this movie. But that had been nice, you know, being in Spain. All of a sudden, quiet night, she's strolling about. I walk up to her and I go Hi. She yells out police in Spanish. Hi, I'm the sports guy. Remember me? No is the sports guy? Well that's how Sailor introduced me. Just to Aniston. Uh, this is Danny. He's a sports guy. And she goes, what is Why did they call you the sports guy? I said, I'm a good sport so have funds, good quite athletic. Right to be honest with you, I'm sporting good looks right now? Don't you think? Whoa?
Speaker 10: Hi?
Speaker 2: Don't drown in these blue eyes. All right, let me take a break. AnyWho any Chris Weber is going to join us. Coming up, We'll take a break. We're back after this on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 2: So check us out.
Speaker 11: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: So the big story is what happened at the garden last night in the final three minutes, and then you also had overtime as well. Tyrese Halliburton thought he hit a game winner in regulation, it was only a two, and he talked about the choke gesture that he gave to the crowd.
Speaker 4: I've seen that winning Time Doc probably like fifty times growing up, so I know that they didn't win the series, so I would not like to repeat that, but you know, I think that's just a historic moment, and that was obviously more him versus Fike, kind of the one on one, and that just felt like there was to everybody, but to him too. I want to I want him to see more than anything. But I think it is really cool to continue to, you know, make my own history in this group, to make our own history, also showing you know, respect and love to the ones that came before.
Speaker 5: So definitely a special moment. And yes, I'm all't.
Speaker 2: Forget Tyrese Haliburton, not overrated Chris Webber, Hall of Famer joining us on the program. See web How does that happen? You're up fourteen at home, three minutes to go.
Speaker 5: It happens when you have a really special team.
Speaker 10: You know, first of all Haliburton, you look what he did, and the Smith, all the other guys. But please, let's not forget coach Carlisle. You know, he's he's a he's a great coach and he's coached guys like Jay Kidd.
Speaker 5: He's coached against the greatest players.
Speaker 10: He's played with the Celtics, by the way, so he knows a little bit about offense. And to me, it was just wearing you down. Some teams we give a lot of credit for wearing you down with their defense, and I played on teams, whether Sacramento and others, where we wore you down with our offense as well. And that means just keeping your foot on the pedal, never looking up, and trusting your players and you know those last few minutes. I mean, wow, these are some of the most exciting games I've seen a long time. So it's great to be a fan and watch all the excellences going on.
Speaker 2: Why is it different playing in the Garden than any other place, Well, I would.
Speaker 10: Say the Garden and old La, Old La because you had stars like Jack and others that were there and you would see. But I think it's because it's not just about new stars. I think it's about the fact that because those arenas are so old, you know Kareem played there or you know you know that, I don't know Willie Allen or someone else was at those games, and so as a player, you come in saying, you know, I better give my best performance because this is where the best performers are. How many times do you get to perform in front of your heroes? And so for me, New York was always special. And you know, if I could send out a PBA alert because New York is so cocky.
Speaker 5: I have a very close friend. His name is Has. I won't give his.
Speaker 10: Full government name, but anyone in New York please look out for High and just make sure you watch over him because he was hitting me with being bong and all this other stuff. And I haven't heard from him in about sixteen hours, so please look out for my man hous. But it's so much fun, and part of that too, is sending those crowds home quiet. It's no better feeling than any arena, but you know LA and New York, when you do it, you know you feel a little extra special.
Speaker 2: Okay, but did you ever have conversations with celebrities? Did you ever flirt with a celebrity in LA when you were playing?
Speaker 10: Never flirted, But if I saw, you know, someone that I wanted to flirt with, or I raised my game, you know you want to play well and send them home with something.
Speaker 2: You know, so Billy Barry is their courd side. You might might want the ball a little more.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, and you know you might, you know, shoot your shot or dunk on someone a little harder and mistakenly look at it.
Speaker 5: You know, you know it's not the weak. But oh, I'm sorry, did I just do that?
Speaker 10: You know, that's that type of thing I do.
Speaker 5: Remember.
Speaker 10: One of the best compliments I ever got was was Jack looks before the game and the playoffs in LA and you would change right by him and I'm really focused and nervous and getting ready to go, and he says, the calm before the storm. You were the calm before the storm. And we blew l a out that game. And I remember thinking he never should have given me that compliment because I had to live up to that in front of him.
Speaker 2: What's it like, though, when everybody knows you're getting the ball like you and the feeling of I don't Some guys, you know, they run away from the ball, Others run to the ball.
Speaker 10: Yeah. I think that it's all about knowing your game. It's really simple knowing that you have a move and a counter move with it's starting like that. It's really easy, and then if you have great players around, it's easier to trust. So I can only speak from my experience, but knowing that I was gonna get double team late in the game, I would be talking to Page or of lottying them during the whole game.
Speaker 5: You see, they're gonna come double me at this point. Later I got you, and so it gives you freedom.
Speaker 10: The easiest person to check on the court is a selfish person, and so you have to make sure through your abilities that you keep everyone on their toes. Just look at a guy like Jokis. You know he wants the ball late in the game, but he may not shoot seven possessions in a row, but they're gonna score seven possessions in a row. So for me, the most important thing is, yeah, can you score? But there are a lot of guys we waited to the end to double because they didn't have to acumen in the past, or didn't even know where other teammates were. And so to me, it's how can you make a score happen if you're a great player late in the game. Lebron was accused a lot for that, but he's one of the best examples. Magic as well of being able to take a moment find it, know that I can score, but it may be easier to loosen you up by finding a wide open Jr. Or someone in the corner, or Booby Gibson that hurt us in Detroit, to kill you a little bit better instead of being selfish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we give Magic a hall pass and say that's a positive Lebron. People viewed that as a negative, that he didn't want to take the big shot in those situations with Magic. It was like, look at how unselfish he is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, you're right, Dan, But so let's separate the first time he played against San Antonio, let's separate, you know, when he was learning on that learning curve.
Speaker 5: But he always played the right way.
Speaker 10: And so there was one game, I think in the Pistons Game seven, I think we're playing against him and we're, you know, trying to go to the championship, and this guy scores.
Speaker 5: Twenty four in a row, twenty five in a row.
Speaker 10: But Booby Gibson had a great game because he was finding this guy in the corner. And then you wonder, how does a guy like Nisman if how does a guy Booby Gibson come out of nowhere. How does the guy like Fisher, Derek Fisher come out of nowhere and do these things. So, let's because Shaq trusted at one point, it's because Lebron trusted.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's that line in the sand with Lebron.
Speaker 10: But when he was able and found his voice, found his way on the court, he still played the right way.
Speaker 5: And for me, he doesn't get enough credit for that.
Speaker 2: Did Lebron have forty three on you guys in that game seven?
Speaker 5: I know he had twenty four to twenty five straight and.
Speaker 2: Oh he had forty had forty eight.
Speaker 10: Thanks, I'm gonna call Rashid Wallason reminds him of that because that's one of Rashid's biggest failures. Or I won't even say that. That's something that hurt Rashid the most, is a defensive player. That it was one guy on the floor that we couldn't stop us. So yeah, whatever he did, he hurt our feelings and kept us from a championships.
Speaker 2: Hurt your feelings. He's Chris Webber Hall of Famer. I mentioned this earlier. We can't underestimate the impact of the Dream Team in nineteen ninety two on the world because here we are, what thirty three years later and look at the best players in the game. The players are from outside the top five players. You can make an argument are not American born shay Gil just getting the MVP. You got Luca, you got Jannis. I mean, we can go down the list there. But that impact of we laughed at the rest of the world. We're crushing Barkley's making fun of people. We're focused on us, whereas the world focused on them, and how how do we get better as a basketball country? And look at what that impact did with the NBA.
Speaker 5: So you're right, that impact was great.
Speaker 10: I remember just hearing about players like Sabonis or other players and really not knowing until I got to play with great players like Sharona's marshalonas Or or Payserstoyakovis or Potapinko or others. I think we did a great job in showing our secrets and showing them you know that you can be like Jordan, at least you could dream like this, and if you don't reach Jordan ability, you can still be pretty good if you watch him. And so I think that we did a great job and exposing the game. But I also think the way that the system was set up. You know, Luca was professional with what fifteen, So if he's professional at fifteen, comes to the NBA with five years experience in playing against grown man, he's gonna have a.
Speaker 5: Better trajectory.
Speaker 10: And so I think that the systems that we had overseas and a lot of guys to play professionally and younger helped them advance a lot quicker. But our last seven MVPs there were all foreigners so to speak, or people from other places. And truthfully, Sean could have won last year and truthly the year indeed one you know, Jokis could have won that, so you could have a full time I really look at Yokis just missing the MVP. He should have one more MVP. So I love the way that the game is spread. But it comes back to skill skill skill, and hopefully it all set of fire under a lot of the young kids to you know, be the best that they could be. But I think the game is going to always elevate no matter who's the best, because guys around the world watched the best and we come better after that.
Speaker 2: But you also look, and I I'm sure you remember this, but when Barkley won MVP. When Karl Malone won MVP, everybody knew that Michael Jordan was the best player in the game, right, Shay Gilgis is getting.
Speaker 5: The m v P.
Speaker 2: But I think everybody recognizes Joker is still the best player in the game. It just and I I mean SGA and Okac had the best year and he's the best player. But I don't know how players reacted when you know Barkley played well for Phoenix, Carl played well for Utah. You know, Michael, I don't think cared about the regular season as much as he's going to win a championship.
Speaker 10: Well, I also think there's fatigue. You know, there's fatigue. Yeah, yeah, you know, you really think about it. You can't have a co MVP. But how did he not win the MVP? But then again with Shy, I think I think too. I think it's the culture of how we play, if we want to really be honest, I think that, you know, I love playing with players that make everyone better, and so I think the days of just scoring forty and being that guy like that's that's not necessarily winning basketball. To be doubled in the post and not get anyone else involved. That's why we love Jokics and maybe not other Sinners. And so I think the culture at least from watching Doctors, at least from watching Shy is that Shay gilges is that they're always gonna try to make the right play, even if it's being selfish four or five times in a row. But watching them facilitate get other guys involved is so special. That's why Halliburton is special though, and I've always known that even he was drafted in Sacramento, because he gets everyone involved. And I think that that has become the culture of the European player, and as Americans being the best scorer, you know, it's a little more that you can add to that. And I think that that's where the line of the sand is gonna come, like how how much better do you make your team? And Shy's team would not be that good. Okay, see got the first round without him, and Denver may not have made the playoffs without Jokis. And that's what I like the distinction in the MVP argument. It's not that, oh, look at the stats. If we really take.
Speaker 5: Them away from their teams without them even scoring, they make their teams better.
Speaker 10: And I think that that shows what the most valuable player is, not the most valuable score, but the most valuable teammate.
Speaker 2: But you were on the college select team that beat the Dream Team, right.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we beat them, coach, K how you doing.
Speaker 2: Like it was real though? That was a real game, right yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 10: Was a practice then. Like you know, I'm sure that you've been around your heroes and commentating or journalism and things when you first got in the game, and if you really first remember those things, just you know, there was no social media. Dominique Wilkins and you know I had him on the wall with Brooks and the Tonics, the different shoes, I had magic every I knew everything about them that you could at the time.
Speaker 5: I watched all the Bloopers tapes.
Speaker 10: Remember that's all we could get was the Bloopers tapes with the coach from Utah at the time, so.
Speaker 5: Access was not hearing.
Speaker 10: So Frank Laydon and I remember I remember being in a huddle and our with literally with tears in our eyes because we're eighteen twenty at this time.
Speaker 5: I just come from the championship.
Speaker 10: We were losing a duke and I'm playing with Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill and all my friends and we're in a huddle like this is a dream come true. None of us were thinking about going to the league.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 10: This is the if I go back to the purest of moments in sporting life. It had to be then, you know, because it was okay. I couldn't believe how quick Bobby Hurley was and that it transcended onto the court against Magic where he's taking Magic and Stockton, Like, we didn't believe in ourselves like this.
Speaker 5: These were just our heroes. Barkley was my favorite player.
Speaker 10: So to go against Barkley and Patrick Ewing and a dunk on them, that was like the biggest thing in the call home. And so we really played the hardest that we could. We caught them sleeping, and Chuck Daily, being from me, tried and had a great relationship with him, and I remember him patting us on the back like good job, and you.
Speaker 5: Know it's a good coach.
Speaker 10: You want to use different things to centivize your team, and and and we beat them, and for them to say last point, it's so.
Speaker 5: Uh infuriating to hear him say, well.
Speaker 10: Jordan's sat on the bench Jordan could have sat on the bench the whole scrimmage and you're saying, we still beat the All Star team, but we'll take that. And so I think any excuse for them is not giving the credit of how great they were, and any great team, thoughs, you can get caught slipping. One day, we caught them slipping, and the next day I do not remember.
Speaker 5: Us scoring one basketball. That's how much they wanted to pay us back.
Speaker 10: So if they didn't beat us, then they wouldn't have been that mad that next day because they kicked our ass.
Speaker 2: Who was it was it? Rodney Rodgers, Rodney Rogers.
Speaker 10: He I don't know why he kept talking. He was just always talking. His country guy is so strong. And I remember Larry Bird because because he was my hero, and I just remember.
Speaker 5: Watching them and we didn't realize he was that tall.
Speaker 10: His back was hurting, you know, he kind of walk ran with a little bit of a gate. But his movements, because he was such a great passer, you couldn't come up on him because his first step was so quick, and Rodney Rodgers were rotating and he goes to the corner and he pump fakes and as he pumped fakes.
Speaker 5: He's like, welcome to the parachute.
Speaker 10: Club, and we're like, you're talking during a shot and I'm talking about it just fell through.
Speaker 5: It looked like the nets didn't even move, you know, one of those things.
Speaker 10: But we would have got fined because we're kind of giving each other five, Like did you see what Larry.
Speaker 2: Just did to us with Oh you guys were celebrating him towrding Rodney Rogers.
Speaker 10: Yes, bad, but Larry Bird made a lot of people do that. Look go look on YouTube against the Hawks game when he's calling shots with his left hand. That whole bench should have got fined.
Speaker 5: Because they did.
Speaker 2: If they didn't get fined, oh good, good.
Speaker 5: Because that's the bad president.
Speaker 10: I mean I would have gone to the locker room and tried to fight my teammates like it's nothing I could do.
Speaker 5: And you guys are cheering him.
Speaker 2: Moll you never you never did that when you played against Jordan or you're on the bench and Jordan did something and you like turned your your guys and said, oh my god, and give me five.
Speaker 10: I put I put my shirt over like that act like let him know later.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 10: One time, Jordan, we were in the playoffs. Jordan Parks is ferrari inside the building, which you shouldn't be able to do. He's smoking a cigar before the game, which I mean, you can do whatever you want. And we're the lowly bullets and uh, Juwan and I are getting off the bus and Jawan's very close with.
Speaker 5: Him and he's like Juan, who's guarding me tonight?
Speaker 10: And Calbert Cheney was behind us and h we both looked and dead like that, And that was the one time I crims about how I left the teammate hanging because Jordan had fifty five on us that night.
Speaker 2: And poor Calvert Cheney.
Speaker 10: Yeah, for he's the man though, but yeah, hey, is you dealing with Jordan and Kobe. You're gonna have to take You're gonna have to take some aails man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there was that same like tenseness that like or they probably were like, Okay, who's who's gonna get take a beating? You know, tell me And then you guys are like pointing at cowbird Cheney there.
Speaker 10: That's exactly what we left him hanging down as a teammate and a captain. That's the one thing our criinge that like because we both are like, hey, this guy, leave us alone.
Speaker 2: But Kobe didn't do that.
Speaker 5: No, Kobe didn't do that.
Speaker 10: But I had a teammate and now a coach, and Doug Christie that very honestly, he's the man, because Kobe would score a shot after shot, Doug would play it correctly, hand in his face. I saw him tap Kobe on his head before and things like that.
Speaker 5: It didn't stop him. It didn't stop him.
Speaker 10: And after the game, you know, him look at himself in the mirror like I did all I could do. When he gets forty four and I'm ready for tomorrow, you know, you gotta have you gotta have some big nuggets to do that, and teammates that that do their job knowing that it's an uphill battle. Man, it's so great playing with guys with that commitment because it makes you commit that much more.
Speaker 2: You can't hap Kobe on his forehead on the jump.
Speaker 5: Shot, Oh yeah, a lot of it. Oh yeah, you know how guys top you on the hill?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh I know that.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, no, yeah, on the forehead, on the shot, on the forehead, Oh yeah, on the forehead.
Speaker 2: Damn, that would piss me off.
Speaker 10: Yeah, a little lass season, you know all that stuff, Yeah, going in your ear.
Speaker 5: You gotta try anything.
Speaker 2: You didn't do that though, No, I.
Speaker 10: Think against the King, I pushed and you know, try stuff, but it didn't work.
Speaker 5: It didn't work, didn't work.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem like a Keen would get agitated with anything.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 10: No, And you're hoping one guy, like whether he makes the shot or misses the shot, you're hoping he misses it. It starts to complain, and then you've done your job because at least he's thinking about something else while trying to destroy it.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine somebody tapping Michael Jordan on the head. Even Kobe, I can't imagine that.
Speaker 10: I want to, you know what, I couldn't either, But I'm I played with some guys that I think would like a Vernon Maxim.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, Vernon Vernon and Albert Alvin Robertson seem to be the craziest guys that Like, there've been crazy guys, but those are two guys that might be on the Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And you know what, You're just so right and what's so great about guys like that? I think people think that you know, and I'm sure Draymond must do this. But I think people think that they're a distraction, and really what it is is comfort because we needed what Vernon Maxwell had in Sacramento our first year. Jay Will White Chocolate needed that because if he gets that every day in practice and you get tired, almost like your big brother, then you understand when these other guys do it, it's nothing because you're getting you know, abused all the time. And so those guys make locker rooms better because they do set an expectation where you have to be more accountable because you know, this guy over here is crazy giving it his own.
Speaker 2: Always great to catch up with him.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Joe, Thank you, Looking forward to seeing you in Aman Sayler's movie Baby.
Speaker 2: Thank You. Bunny at a Sea Web Hall of Famer and the first overall pick by the Magic Back in the nineteen ninety three NBA Draft. Take a break. If you're watching on Peacock, it is a meet Thursday. Come out to the Tragger Hood with us back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap Man.
Speaker 2: Are these Sliders? Awesome. Dylan did a wonderful job. He nearly cut off part of his thumb yesterday. It was in the emergency room until three in the morning, and then whipped up. We got lobster rolls on the King Sawaim. We have pulled pork. We have Philly cheese steaks. We have lobster bisk Who has it better than we do? No By and Todd always eats like it's his last meal before he's executed.
Speaker 6: You load up when there's multiple items I want to try, but you.
Speaker 2: Can always go back out there.
Speaker 6: I could, but it's just easy to have it all mixed together on the plate. I have to go back. I could just sitting and get going.
Speaker 2: Okay, well do some damage. Gary and san Antonio, Hi, Gary, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 12: And then five eleven seven eight. Uh, I just went to the doctor. They wouldn't give me that one eighth of an inch for insurance purposes that anyway, I just have one question, but let me preface it by saying that Fritzy is my favorite down Net. However, I'm also a big fan of Martin. I know Fitty thinks you can see with all his holy notes impressions and dishping thing, et cetera. But you have Marvin closing to show every Friday, and he crushes it. Man, he crushes and at times the camera pans over to fifteen. You see he's disinterested. So my question is it, have you ever talked to your privately since he actual or upset that this should be his gig, his stick.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Fritzie gets to sing enough. Do I really make a disinterested face? I'm my eyes are on Marvin because he's singing.
Speaker 5: I think my.
Speaker 6: Disinterest is like I just want to get the segment of what's I can go back to eating. Maybe not so much that he sing. I think it does a great job singing that song.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, but this is Marvin. Marvin started singing unprovoked. You uh well, you kind of provoke yourself to start saying, and we encourage.
Speaker 6: Marvin to to do that. At the end, I kind of put it out there and you guys rather me not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I I mean, you sing, You've been up on stage singing and you get sing a lot snoreboard you sing there too, and you know this is Marvin's moment as it should be. Yeah, be a team player. That's a team player. Okay, Devin in Cincinnati, Hi Devin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 13: DP, thanks for calling me back, man, Yep, just wanted to first wish you and the Dan it's a happy Memorial Day weekend. Even though that Ron time segment's gonna stick with us for a minute.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 13: But the reason for my call is that it is my oldest brother's thirty second birthday today. His name is Shane. He's a long time listener, introduced me to the show like twelve years ago, and it would mean everything to wish here you guys wishing my happy birthday.
Speaker 2: And it's been It's Shane.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Shane from Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Alrighty ready happy Todd, what what'd you learn today?
Speaker 6: That Dylan cut off part of his thumb preparing me Thursday, So we'll we take a closer look at any strange spots we may see on our lock setan.
Speaker 2: What did you learn today? Our DraftKings pick six lineup?
Speaker 5: Would uh?
Speaker 3: We'd win about one hundred and twenty dollars on that ten dollars bet, Marvin?
Speaker 2: Would you learn Lebron hurt Chris Weber's feelings? Todd, what did I learn?
Speaker 6: Money doesn't buy happiness.
Speaker 2: Look at the sulking one Sodo. Thanks for joining us. Everybody, we'll talk to you soon.