Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe, and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. Oprah Winfrey once said true wealth isn't about having money, It's about having options. That's exactly what she wanted to give her students at the Leadership Academy she founded in South Africa in two thousand and seven. She wanted to give her students, all young South African girls options. Oprah looked to enroll girls who had what she called a spark. Well enter Tondo Dlomo. Ten years after being a part of the very first graduating class from Oprah's Leadership Academy, tondo spark is now more like a fire from her humble beginnings in South Africa.
Speaker 2: When I say poor, I mean my very first internship. When I came to the US, I was yeah freshman, first internship.
Speaker 1: That very first.
Speaker 2: Summer, I was making more money than my grandmother had ever made, and I was making three hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Tondo graduated from college, grad school and is now an accomplished speaker journalists for Entertainment Tonight and actress. She just came back from filming a part in Viola Davis's new film, something she says she thought about for years as a little girl.
Speaker 2: I'll sit there playing by myself, imagining all sorts of things like cameras, spaces like this, like being interviewed, or like I've dreamt thought, I've dreamt of those moments, and I get emotional about it because truly, in those moments, you don't think it's a real thing. It's a pastime. It's the thing that gets you by somehow.
Speaker 1: Tondo says she always chooses hope. She grew up in poverty that many can't even contemplate, circumstances that would render complete hopelessness.
Speaker 2: I remember the day that I lost my mom. She was in South Africa visiting the academy, and when she found out, her and Monte Gail Gail came. They came to my room and they sat with me and silence. I entered between crying to silence, to crime, to silence.
Speaker 1: And still that hope. Whenever I can't stop thinking about a word, I look up the etymology of it. So I googled hope. The root is hope and trust in God's word or hope ah, which means confidence in the future. That's exactly what I felt from Tondo the entire time we were together. It was more than a feeling. I could tell that for Tondo, it was a knowing, a deep knowing that tomorrow will be better. So, Tondo, you were one of seventy one girls is that correct? Yes, seventy one girls accepted into the inaugural class of Oprah Winfrey's Leadership Academy for Girls. That is true.
Speaker 2: You got the numbers.
Speaker 1: You know, there's different numbers online.
Speaker 3: I hoping I chose the right one.
Speaker 2: That's the number. That's the number.
Speaker 1: That's the number. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Before we get into that, and of course, so much more of your life journey, I want you to take me back to Johannesburg. Grew up in South Africa. Yes, what was your upbringing? Like, oh, it's time to have had.
Speaker 2: My upbringing was beautifully complex. So I was raised by my grandmother.
Speaker 1: I had my mom.
Speaker 2: Dad were a high school sweethearts, met a very young age, had me at a very young age. And so as grandmas do, they take you in and they're like, I got this, I got this. So I was raised by her. My grandmother was a maid, what we call a domestic worker in South Africa. What's her name, Julia, Yes, the most precious. I love her with all my heart. So she was a maid and a domestic worker in a town called Bononi. If you know where Charlie Theron is from, that's the same little town. Yes, But essentially we lived in the backyard of her employer's house in a small little room.
Speaker 1: I mean, probably no bigger than the space right here.
Speaker 2: Bed over here, little chair over there, tying, little two plate stove over here, little toilet over here.
Speaker 1: Very humble, but it was all I.
Speaker 2: Knew, and so it was home for me. And I went to a school called Reinefield Primary that was in the neighborhood. I was probably one of a handful of black kids at that school, and because it was in her inner white neighborhood, my grandmother and I just happened to live there because she worked there. And yeah, I had great, complex and humbling experiences, very very poor, very very poor, And I'm so glad I wasn't hyper aware of that then, because I turned along with it. My grandmother she can't read nor can she write, so between poor with a very like unstable sense of like educational home. I had to teach myself a lot of things. A lot of my math English Africaans, which is that language we learned in school, was self taught. I'm also an only child, so I played a lot by myself, a lot by myself.
Speaker 1: I probably thought a lot.
Speaker 2: I thought so much, probably too much. I mean, I still have the habit, the bad habit too, this day of being like by myself and thinking myself into a little corner.
Speaker 1: But when you say poor, can you? Because I think sometimes poor in America, we think something different than poor in South Africa, very different.
Speaker 2: When I say poor, I mean my very first internship when I came to the US, I was, yeah, freshman, first internship, that very first summer, I was making more money than my grandmother had ever made. And I was making three hundred dollars a month, a month, yes, and that was like me bawling, like my grandmother has never not this amount of money in a month. To the point where I started, there'd be nights where we go without food, and I started offering to help clean the swimming pool for the you know, the people's house where we lived. So I could earn twenty rand for every time I cleaned it. Twenty rand is probably about a dollar a dollar fifty maybe, And I'll clean the swimming pools because it would mean extra money for you know, my grand and I to like go and get food constantly in debt. The school was like four hundred rand a month, which is thirty dollars, but constantly in debt, couldn't afford to pay even that.
Speaker 1: So yes, by poor, I mean really really.
Speaker 2: Really really poor, blissfully poor? Was it? Yeah, blissfully naively poor because I had no idea exactly how poor I was. I had no idea. I mean, to this day, I share some stories with my friends who aren't South African or didn't have the same life and upbringing that I did.
Speaker 1: And there are moments where they're like, what what you did.
Speaker 2: That you lived through that? And I'm like, yeah, you know, And I normalized a lot of my upbringing, a lot of the struggle and a lot of the living without because it was all I knew, right, it was all I knew. And so I remember, actually after I've got into the Oprah and for Leadership Academy, MS Winfrey, who I endariingly call my mom now. She came to visit where my grandmother and I lived in that little room, and I remember being so proud to show her. You got to come see this is where I live, like come through, and the look on her face she was stunned. Like you you remember it. I remember it vividly because I was thinking to myself, this is welcome to my home.
Speaker 1: And she was like, this is tiny.
Speaker 2: This is the size of this is like a boat. I don't even know, like this is tiny, but I had no idea at the time.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you use the word bliss though it means there was joy in your house.
Speaker 2: I don't know how, but by the grace of God and everything that is high and.
Speaker 1: That we serve.
Speaker 2: I always had a great sense of joy about me.
Speaker 1: You had it when you walked in today. No, really, really, yeah.
Speaker 2: This is why I know for a fact that there is a greater thing, a bigger thing at play, a thing that calls us to this life for greater purpose. Because I have no explanation for more than half of the things I felt or experienced. I always tell my friends perseverance is glamorized, but it is hard and in the moment when you're going through it. Nothing about it feels cute, Nothing about it feels like, oh I should dread this either, You're just chugging along so hard that.
Speaker 1: It just is what it is.
Speaker 2: And so I don't know, you might as well be happy while you do it. Yeah, what do you do? You know?
Speaker 1: So, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have no true explanation for how I handled things, but I'm grateful for it.
Speaker 1: I'm grateful for whatever it is. So you applied to the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, Yes, and you were accepted. I was. I didn't know until I was researching that it was an application process.
Speaker 2: When I say that year, applications have been sent out to the country at wide, the entire country.
Speaker 1: This was going to be.
Speaker 2: One heck of an experience, one heck of a thing. Nothing done like it before. I remember when I even got the call for it from my principal at school. It wasn't even a thing. The buildings weren't even complete yet. You know why did they choose you? Let my principle tell it. I was extremely smart. Well, actually, no, I'll tell it too. I worked really hard. I was I was extremely smart.
Speaker 1: And I know this is a podcast for smart girls.
Speaker 3: Say it's so happy to be here. I feel right aloud.
Speaker 2: I have to say it because there are lots of moments as I'm growing and coming into my womanhood that I did not give myself a little pounded for. And I'm so grateful the goal that I get for that little girl and all that she did to serve me and to serve the woman that I'm becoming now, because when I got that call for my principle, they saw things in me that I.
Speaker 1: Thought were just it just is.
Speaker 2: It's just normal, right, You're supposed to do it like this, and you're in an environment where people have like parents that do those you know, those commercials that you see with the science experiment with the happy family around it, and they put it in and the volcano explodes, and it's like, hey, I was at school with kids like that, except I didn't have the resources. I didn't have the money to go and buy what it takes to you know, let alone, I'm trying to teach myself the science. Right. My grandmother would sign my diary to say, you know, when your parents signs that you did the homework, and my teachers wouldn't believe it's her signature because she would sign with like an ex she can't write. And I'd be like, I promise you, I promise you. My grandmother signed this, and they're like no, And so I taught my grandmother how to sign, like how to make a signature.
Speaker 1: So did they see your perseverance? Is that what they they had to have?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because when I got that call, it was on the accounts of you can do it one hundred percent. You just don't have the resources. You don't have the resources. And I am so grateful that they saw it, because if it was a self sign up, I would.
Speaker 1: Have missed it.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have seen it in myself, you know.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, I started that. They called me.
Speaker 2: They were like, Tundle, this would be a great opportunity for you. I remember thinking, this can't be real, guys, Oprah, I watch her. She doesn't talk about this on my shell does not have a school. It's notuth Africa. Are you guys kidding me?
Speaker 1: And I was like, but if it's a free education, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: My grandmother is constantly in debt, trying to ride the school fees, and I remember receiving the pamphlets.
Speaker 1: The school hadn't been built yet.
Speaker 2: When I say it had not been built yet, the pamphlets, the buildings on the on the pamphlet were like yes, And I was like, it's it's a little sketchy for me, but you know what, like let's try it out.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I was twelve? Wow, Yeah, I was eleven going on twelve when I got the application, and the application process like spanned until like I was, yeah, twelve going on thirteen to start at the school. And it was an extensive one. I mean English tests, literacy tests, literacy tests, computer tests, math tests, all the tests you can imagine, drawing tests. I remember one was draw your dream house. Yes, my dream house was tiny. My dreams weren't big enough yet.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna that's a big thing for you. We're going to touch on that. Yes, there's a video online of when you meet Oprah and you recite a poem to her. Yeah, what home are you recited.
Speaker 3: That poem that is following me all through my life?
Speaker 1: What is that? So?
Speaker 2: I used to do performing arts in school. I used to do theater. I used to be really into it. I still am, But that poem I was in this like regional competition for like top like theater performers in like my age group in you know, in the in.
Speaker 1: The country and in the city.
Speaker 2: And I had like a competition coming up in a couple of days after that interview, and so she asked me about my performing arts and what I like, and I told her, Oh, I'm really into theater.
Speaker 1: I'm an actress. And she was like, oh, really, well, you know, like do it for me.
Speaker 2: I literally, I will never forget the image in my mind of sitting there across from her and thinking, am I.
Speaker 1: Should I should I do it? You have to do it. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it, all right.
Speaker 3: And I went for it and I committed.
Speaker 2: You did it kills me. I do never want to see that tape ever again in my life. She reminds me of it constantly every I.
Speaker 1: Mean it lives on YouTube. I will say, oh, but you're so cute.
Speaker 2: You know what, I will say, I was bright eyed. I'm grateful for the energy that I had in that moment because they're gonna play that in your true Hollywood story.
Speaker 3: You're calling it now, Okay, yeah, it's on tape.
Speaker 2: Oh my Lord.
Speaker 1: So I read something on your Instagram. You wrote, my childhood reminds me of how tough life can truly be. But despite the memory of those experiences, I look back at pictures and I'm smiling in each one. That's the joy, right. I implore us all to handle this adulthood thing with the spirit of a carefree child who only wants what her heart and mind tell her is possible. So there's a voice within you telling you that these things are possible for you.
Speaker 2: I remember I used to, like I said, I spent a lot of time by myself, and I remember I would vividly imagine I want to be on Broadway one day. Mind you, I've never left the town, let alone in the country. But I used to watch Oprah.
Speaker 1: I used to watch all sorts of like American shows.
Speaker 2: My grandmother and I had this small TV that had the great you know, you have to hold the thing to make sure that it actually plays so we can see it. But I used to watch all of those things and like, imagine myself, I want to go there. I want to go to Broadway. I want to be an actress. And when I become an actress, this is what I'll do and I'll buy a nice house, and like I'll take my grandmother. I used to think of all these things. And when you have ample time by yourself, you get into the detail of it. And so in the moment, it doesn't feel like a grand discovery. You're not even sure if it's gonna happen for real, you know, but it keeps it keeps the moment alive, It lights up the days, It gives you something to look forward to. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you watch Oprah's interview with Viola Davis. Yes, I just watched it, and so much of that when she talks about being so poor and envisioning this, Yes, it's so similar to what you're saying.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it. It's you're you're so poor, You're you're just living in your own mind, anything that takes you out of the reality of the space you're Inah. And in that way, you keep your spirits, you keep your your wits about you, you keep your energy about you, and you spend so much time alone that you you narrow in onto into whatever it is that you hope and pray for yourself, that you hope and pray for your life and in my head, I was taking my grandmother with me everywhere, go to school.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I want to go to college, take my grandmother with me. I mean, take grandad Julia out of college and Julia going to class, like we're gonna live in America.
Speaker 4: Like I in my head, her and I were going to tag along everywhere together. Anything was your person, my person, my literal person, my literal person. Her and my mom my mom and I like because the age gap was so like small, her and I were like friends.
Speaker 1: It was like sisters.
Speaker 2: We would i mean cut up when we were together. And when she would come around to visit, I would tell her I'm gonna I'm gonna go on day and I'm gonna leave and I'm gonna go to Broadway and like, and I'd force her to watch like some of these shows with me, and I'd be like you see this, see this, Like they'd repeat like over.
Speaker 1: And over again.
Speaker 2: You'd watch the same show over and over again, because it's not cable TV. It's just like what the government gives you. And I would watch and be like, watat watch this pot that's where we're gonna go.
Speaker 1: That's where we're gonna go.
Speaker 2: Mind you, I couldn't tell you which direction that place is, but.
Speaker 1: You knew in your mind.
Speaker 3: In my mind it works out.
Speaker 1: In my mind, it worked out. Yeah. So I really want to talk about your mom, but I want to ask you two quick questions about your education. First. Yes, so this school, I remember watching the Oprah Show and hearing about her building it, and it was a big deal in America. To be in South Africa must have been a huge deal.
Speaker 2: When I say, everyone in the country was trying to get their children into that school, right, because the reality for a lot of people in South Africa, in a lot of countries on the African continent, is the disparity in education for the girl child especially, And you're so poor as a parent, the least you want for your kid is an education to take.
Speaker 1: Them out of that circumstance. And young girls want to go to school.
Speaker 2: They want to with all their hearts. It's everything that is set up against you that makes it so hard. But people are fighting for the right to be in a classroom and make something of themselves.
Speaker 1: I write about this sometimes, but the GDP of a country goes down ten to thirty percent when women are not educated and similarly goes up to at thirty percent when women are educated.
Speaker 2: The reality is, like there's a saying in South Africa. When you educate a woman, you educate the world. When you feed a woman, you feed the nation. It's a real thing. Women know how to carry so much on our backs. I mean, so much of the light of that country is carried by women, carried by young girls who are hopeful and want something for themselves, for their families, for the country at large. This generation of women coming up in South.
Speaker 1: Africa right now, don't mess with them. They are serious about what they want they are. This is not your ordinary girl.
Speaker 2: This is not the parent that was abused during apartheid. This is not the grandmother who has lost all confidence. These are women who are out for blood. They want what is good and they know what it is. And a lot of that is rooted in education. And I wanted it with all my heart. I remember there would be times where I'd go to my grandmother. I can't figure out the sum I can't get what this means, and I want to so badly. That is the frustration. Not that we're poor, not that there might not be a male tonight, not that there I want to be in the top ten at school. I want to be the girl who gets the blazer.
Speaker 1: You know, in South Africa you.
Speaker 2: Get the blazer with the thing with the mark. So you know that says this is an academic. Education has literally been the thing that has carried me from place to place, from South Africa to undergrad to here to this very room. Education has been the thing that has carried me. So I hold it to the highest regard, to the highest regard. It's the ultimate equalizer, ultimate equalizer.
Speaker 1: Obama always says that, yeah, yeah, it is. It's a real Yeah, it's a real thing.
Speaker 2: I'm a true and living testament to that. I wouldn't have seen half the things I've seen, half the experiences that I've had, half the conversations you right now, if it weren't for me being carried by that education. Quite literally, you gave me chills.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you talk about going to undergrad, Yes, so you go to USC. I went to JCSU first, I went to an HBCU.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I started an HBCU.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because when I went to the school in South Africa, we don't know, we don't have HBCUs we don't know what that is. And I had grown up in a predominantly white environment. And then when I heard about it in grade nine, I went to momow and I was like, I think I want to go to school in America and so if that's okay with you, you.
Speaker 1: Know, that would be really nice.
Speaker 2: And she was like, oh, okay, well, let's look into it. We got a college advisor who came in, we started working on it. That's when I started to learn all these things about schools in the US, and like learned about HBCUs and I was like, there's schools that are like historically designed to lift up the voices of black students, black girls, black boys.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I want to go in there.
Speaker 2: Little did I know, though, that when I got there, blackness is so nuanced. Not all black is the same, like the cultural differences. I stood out like a saw thumb where I.
Speaker 3: Thought I was going to fit right in.
Speaker 2: But in the first the first time I felt it, I was like, oh wait, why is everybody.
Speaker 1: Else me where I'm from, Like, we're all black.
Speaker 2: Everybody we're good, like, you know, why do I? Oh they think I sound different? You know? And I started to realize, oh, there's nuance in our blackness, and there's difference in our experiences, in our culture. And in the best way, that shaped my experience, that shaped my view of American culture, of the black American experience. So many things I didn't know, so many things. I was ignorant too, and so by my second year, I was like, oh, yeah, I'm in here. I want to run for student government. I want to do like all the things. So I was deeply involved. I was like the girl who's friends with every group of people. I'm friends with the football players, with the with the sorority girls, with the like the cheerleaders, the track squad. By the time I was done there, I was like, guys, we are a family.
Speaker 1: This is lovely. I did the whole thing. I was miss JCSU.
Speaker 2: I went on conferences representing the school. I mean I I lived it up in that HBC experience full on. And then I got my master's from USC. I didn't know, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: So where were you when you got the call that your mom was sick?
Speaker 2: I I was in South Africa.
Speaker 1: I was still in high school.
Speaker 2: My grandmother actually came to school because it was a boarding school and it was a parent teacher conference, and I remember my grandmother and my mom were supposed to come and see me. Yeah, and my grandmother kept telling me no, she you know, you can't make it today.
Speaker 1: But I'm on the way. I'm on the way, and my mom.
Speaker 2: It's just such a jokester, like literally were so similar, and so I thought she was trying to play with me and prank me, like, oh no, haha, I did come. And the whole time I wasn't taking her seriously, like, no, y'all are on the way.
Speaker 1: I know you are this, you know.
Speaker 2: See you when you get here. And so I'm standing by the gate as my you know, I see the parents coming in through the gate and I'm looking for mine and I see my grandmother, but I don't see my mom behind her, and I'm like, what where is she? Is she hiding?
Speaker 1: Like she's taking us too far.
Speaker 2: Grandmother comes all the way in and my mom isn't there, and my grandmother has this somber, stressed down look in her eyes. She's hardly making eye contact with me, and I'm just like, what is going on with her? I was called into the office. She asked to see the school psychologist, and she went she met with the school psychologist for a little and I'm still outside just living my best life, playing whatever, and they called me into the office and it seems really serious.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting there to my grandmother.
Speaker 2: It's the head of academy, it's the school psychologist, and I'm like, what is this. Then they started telling me, oh, mam is sick.
Speaker 1: She's in hospital.
Speaker 2: If you want to go see her, we're happy to take you, blah blah blah blah, And I have zero context as to what in the world everybody's even talking. I'm like, my mom, right, yes, she's in the hospital. Okay, how did she get in the hospital, Like what happened? And they're like, she's unwell. When you want to go, let us know.
Speaker 1: I remember in that moment, I was like, okay, well I'll let you know.
Speaker 2: I have track and field, I had volleyball practice the next day after school, I had speech and debate the following day.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'll go on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: It was a Sunday. When they told me, I was like, I'll go Tuesday and Wednesday I have I can't miss all of my school stuff. That Tuesday I woke up and no kidding, I had a lump in my throat. I was on the verge of tears and could not find an explanation for what was happening. Later on that day, around two o'clock, I get a call to come into the office. I'm like, Okay, I guess they're forcing me to go to the to go see her now because I was supposed to go the next day. Yeah, And they called me in to tell me that my mom's my mom's passed away. She's she's gone. Like silence rang in my ears. Silence rang in my ears. I have never experienced a deeper shock and disbelief than I did in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember there was a girl who I had gone to school with. She was one of my closest friends. Her mom had passed away like two years prior, and I remember even then seeing it with her mom and thinking, oh my gosh, that what a sad thing.
Speaker 1: If that ever happened to my mom, I said out.
Speaker 2: Loud, I would kill myself. There is no way. That's not how it's supposed to be. You're not supposed to right, I I could never. Yeah, And in that moment I had to sit there and come to terms with.
Speaker 1: My mom, my mom.
Speaker 2: I just heard her voice just the other day. How it doesn't make sense. For a year straight following that day, I was in utter an absolute denial. Wow, utter an absolute denial. It made no sense to me. I remember going to her funeral, writing her obituary, helping.
Speaker 1: My grandmother plan the funeral. I watched it happen.
Speaker 2: I watched the farewell, I watched everything, and I went back to school and still was like, there's no way it's my mom that's gone. A year straight after, I contacted the school psychologist and I was like, I think I probably need to talk to.
Speaker 1: You because.
Speaker 2: My mind has not registered. For a couple of months following my mom's passing, my grandmother was using my mom's phone, and every time she would call me using my mom's phone, it would pop up on my phone as Mom. And for that entire time, I was like, oh, oh, thank God. Maybe I was dreaming. Maybe it was a bad dream, you know, maybe it was a nightmare. It is this her and I had to tell her after some months, you have.
Speaker 1: Got to stop.
Speaker 2: You have to stop using this, because every single time my phone rings with this number, I'm convinced. Yeah, I'm convinced.
Speaker 1: That my mom is still alive. I'm so sorry, Tonda.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's not okay, it's okay. I've learned to live without her. I've learned to live without her. I lost her in high school. I lost my dad while I was at USC in grad school. The passing of my dad was also much of a shock. I remember the loss of my dad feeling like just naturally a double hit, something about going through the loss of one parent, finally coming to terms with it, and then going through the loss of the next parent. And I could not shape. I only had two of those. You get too and after two, you're done.
Speaker 1: Do you mind sharing how they passed?
Speaker 2: My mom is complicated. My dad had bacterial meningitis. Thought he had a headache the entire time and was self soothing, you know, a painkiller.
Speaker 1: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: My dad was one of those people, keep going, keep going, and to the point where it spread so much, he wasn't himself. He had dissociated. The state that they described him in was like childlike. He had lost, like so much of his cognizance because of how much that meningitis had spread in his brain. In fact, when when he got to the hospital. The doctor was like, I'm surprised he's even still alive because they caught it so late. He was in the hospital for about a week and even still was improving and had told them please, don't don't stress, tundle out, gonna I'm gonna get out of here. Was making all sorts of plans.
Speaker 1: With my cousins. We're going to do this, We're going to do this the whole nine.
Speaker 2: So the day I get the call is again at the very last minute, just such a shock. I was walking on campus. I was a research assistant for the Dean's office. I was at work that day working. I'm walking from one building to the next.
Speaker 1: I get a call.
Speaker 2: From my aunt and I'm like, oh, hey, remember sunny day USC The people are skating by the whole and my aunt's like, how soon do you do you think you could get home? I'm like, home, like like South Africa, like Cairl, No, you haven't heard. I've been in America for like the past seven years. What is happening? And she's like, you need to come home.
Speaker 1: So are you able to connect with your peers at this point? Because you have just been through so much more than most people.
Speaker 2: I recognize that it's funny. My whole life, I've had to compartmentalize my experiences the same way when I was at the Leadership Academy, and like my life and experiences there were different compared to when I would have to go back home for the school holidays, and so I don't know, I kind of have learned the art of like adapting, so I know how to connect with everyone on a human level. But I also know that people's experiences have probably been vastly different from mine.
Speaker 1: What did you see American students taking for granted? Candidly, I think you know.
Speaker 2: I used to look at it as American students taking things for granted, but my perspective has shifted to people don't know what they don't know. And I can't criminalize somebody else's experience because it is not worse or better than mine. So I can't necessarily say people take for granted. But students here are lucky to have lived in an environment where they don't have to fight as hard for their lives, because.
Speaker 1: Like I had a friend who came to America and said, when I went to the grocery store and saw all the pet food, yeah, I was astonished because in my country, we can't even feed all the people, let alone there's hundreds of choices for pets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is the thing that is the reality that people live, right, but you can't hold it against them because it's their reality right totally. And so like I literally had to do the work to shift my mindset because when I was in undergrad I had this notion some of my peers would be upset at me for like being like goodie two shoes or teachers pet or you're always sitting in the front and like it's a joke to blah, I'm cool. I know I'm cool. I fit in with the cool crowd. But what I'm not going to do is compromise on my education. I have so much more to lose.
Speaker 1: And you fought for it and I thought to be here.
Speaker 2: So there's so much educating that I had to do on both sides, Like for me realizing that this is what you know and that's your experience, and if I could have had my way, I would have it this way because there's nothing cute about suffering. There's nothing glamorous about having to overcome you know, the story of it. In hindsight is always rainbows and butterflies. The process, the lived experience is not fun and if I could have it my way, what the life I want for my own children one day is very similar to what a typical American student would have, where you don't have to worry about your next meal, You don't have to worry about is your mom going to be here or not?
Speaker 1: Is do you have a parent?
Speaker 2: Do you not? You know what I'm so, I literally, quite literally had to shift my perspective and say I accept that my circumstances have been so different that they have caused me to function in a way that is different from others in my environment. And I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing that with me.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: This podcast is sponsored by Better Help. Do you ever feel fatigued, lack of motivation, overwhelm, helpless, or even trapped? It could be burnout. Many people are burned out without even knowing it. For me, burnout sneaks up slowly and then all at once. What I mean by that is I don't realize it's happening until I'm really over the edge. And while we associate burnout with work, that's not the only cause any of our roles in life can lead us to feel it mine is actually often not associated with work at all, and Better Help online therapy wants to remind you to prioritize yourself. Talking with someone can help you figure out what's causing stress in your life. I'll tell you about my personal experience by talking it through with my therapist, I realized my burnout was about saying yes when I really wanted to say no, But identifying that stressor can be the hardest part. Over the last three years, I've been working with a therapist who practices Gestalt therapy, which is an approach that centered on increasing a person's awareness, freedom, and self direction. It's a form of therapy that focuses on the present moment rather than past experiences. And in Gestalt therapy, you are always in relationship to something, to another person, to ourselves. Even the environment to be in relationship allows us to know our own experience in a deeper way. For me, to be in relationship with a therapist regularly helps me understand my feelings, helps me be in control of what I'm feeling and my response is to people. Betterhelp is customized online therapy that offers video phone and even live chat sessions with your therapist, so you don't have to see anyone on camera if you don't want to. And it's much more affordable than in person therapy, and you can be matched with a therapist in one hundred forty eight hours. Pretty Smart listeners get ten percent off their first month at betterhelp dot com slash pretty smart. That's better h lp dot com slash pretty smart. If you don't know where to start, betterhelp is a great place. So now you're working in journalism and you're about to appear in a film with Viola Davis. Oh, I'm sorry to the sound gun. Yeah, And it's clear from our conversation that you've always wanted to be an actress. This is a leg oh.
Speaker 2: A dream realized, like mind you. I My friends always get on me for saying this, but my role is not a huge role, and I can already hear them right now. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: We don't care, blah blah. But I'm gonna echo that. I don't screaming.
Speaker 2: But the bigness of that moment for me is so significant because it's grounded in every part of my imagination as a little girl. The things that I imagined stuff that I thought up, not like one day I want to be a fireman, knowing you can be a fireman like you think it up, not even thinking it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Actually you knew it was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Though there was a time in my life where I started truly checking into the belief that I'm close to this and this could happen. But I have to tell you, for the bulk of my upbringing, I dreamt of it. I wished and hoped and prayed, But if you asked me at twelve, maybe even seventeen, I could not for real tell you yes one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to push back on you. Tell me what you think, and I'm coming from my own experience, so I may be projecting. Yeah, I never knew if the career in journalism that I envisioned would work out. I still don't know, but I feel this calling in my gut, in my heart, in my mind anytime things are difficult. I have been almost broke so many times. Yes, where any normal person would be like girl, exit, Yeah, I can't. Yeah, I feel as you're telling me about this, I feel that in you.
Speaker 2: I know that feeling. I know that feeling, and you know what it says, you know the saying about answering the call. Yes, there, it keeps tying, it keeps calling, And there's a time where you actually answer the call, that you check in and all of a sudden you're striving. It might feel far fetched, it might feel like it's a hard and tough road, but you know it's possible, right, But there's a part before you even answer the call where you're just naively living with the calling.
Speaker 1: But it's in you.
Speaker 2: There, it's there, but you're naively living with it without like I can tell you the moment where I was like, oh, I know I'm going to be an actress. I know for a fact. There was a play that I did in grade twelve. It was part of my finals because I took the class in school as a class and I remember that performance, and I remember coming out of that performance and thinking, I feel something so larger than life about this experience, that there's something there that I need to take real heed to. And then I remember that same year we had workshops arts workshops, and Tondy Newton had come to the school and she was a workshop instructor for the acting theater part. And I remember going to that workshop and seeing everybody around me and thinking, Oh, everybody's having a great time, but this is serious for me, Like this is not a game for me, Like this is not like, oh so.
Speaker 1: Great Toundy Newton is here.
Speaker 2: It's that, but it also means so much more to me than I'm realizing it does to the people around me. And I remember I did a performance during that arts workshop as well where I felt like I had I was outside of my body, outside of my body.
Speaker 1: It was a spiritual experience, like.
Speaker 2: Where you're like, that was a me. I was a vessel for something right now that I that was not me, and I knew the affirmation that I had done it and what I was feeling was real. Tandy Newton wrote me a letter before she left, and she she was like, you.
Speaker 1: Need to keep going. Here's these are the movies.
Speaker 2: You should watch. And I remember she had sectioned it out watch these when you're eighteen or over. These are the ones you can watch now you have a true gift a blauh blah blah, And I remember reading that and thinking, Okay, I knew I felt something. That was the moment where I truly checked in, like, oh, hold on, it's game seven.
Speaker 1: I felt what you felt.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, like she felt what I felt.
Speaker 1: Have you spoken to her since?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have, and I've reminded her as special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still have the lets, so she wrote, had wrote it. You did an interview with Entertainment tonight about before you came to the US. Yes, you said, I dreamt a lot of things. I couldn't imagine what they looked like. But in my dreams, I have seen this room before. Why does that make me emotional? What room? Again?
Speaker 2: It's all the things as a little girl, I would sit there playing by myself, imagining all sorts of things like cameras, spaces like this, like being interviewed, or like I've dreamt I've thought, I've dreamt of those moments, and I get emotional about it because truly, truly, in those moments, you don't think it's a real thing. It's a pastime. It's the thing that gets you by. It's the thing that carries you from one moment to another moment to another moment that like keeps your sanity, that like, my mom is gonna get on me forgetting for saying like so many times during this interview, but I cannot describe in words what it feels like to have things realized like this. It's surreal for me. Yeah, yeah, it's it's surreal. And to know and now trust and believe that there is more and that there's a whole world out there that awaits that. It's barely even the beginning, I mean, overwhelming.
Speaker 1: And you trust in that. I trust in that one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent at this point if I've never trusted trusted in it before.
Speaker 1: My whole heart is in it. My entire heart is in it. You're in the room. I'm in the room, Mama. I made it like I'm here.
Speaker 2: I'm here, and there's no greater feeling. There's no greater feeling, no great to honor.
Speaker 1: Truly. Yeah. Oprah was interviewed about you and about the school, and she said, the greatest reward anybody can have is giving your presence, your time, your energy, your love to somebody else, and then seeing that helped somebody flower into who they were supposed to be. So watching Tondo became all that I knew she could be when she first walked into our little meeting room with her uniform. On so many years ago. It's been one of my life's great rewards. I don't know why. I'm fla to see that happen and to see her blossom into this incredible woman that she's still becoming.
Speaker 2: Get it together.
Speaker 1: That first line about since being the greatest gift and then helping somebody become what they are meant to be. Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh. If you could describe her presence in your life, yeah, what words do you use to describe it?
Speaker 2: I remember the day that I lost my mom. She was in South Africa visiting the academy, and when she found out, her and Auntie Gail Gail King, they came to my room and they sat with me in silence. I went in between crying to silence to crying to silence, and she held me through that entire thing again with my dad. The day she entered my life, she has never faltered. There is not a day I have to question whether she will be there or not. A constant and I told her this Mother's Day. We were boohoo and crying because I said to her, God truly gave me a second chance, another chance to be mothered and loved in the most unconditional fearce present way possible, and I'm eternally grateful. I counted all joy, I counted all the ultimate blessing. A lot of people lose parents, lose people in their lives, people who are irreplaceable. Yeah, and they don't get the second chance to be loved in that way again. So I don't take for granted how unconditionally I am held in her heart. I do not take it for granted. That is who she is. And I have times with her when we're just hanging out and I'm like, the world will never know the world will never know that this is you, that this is you, how much you carry, how much of my load you've helped me carry.
Speaker 1: The world will truly never know that woman's heart.
Speaker 2: If you think it's pure gold, imagine it pure. There is none like her.
Speaker 1: None, none, it seems that way. None.
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you use the word mothering because you have an energy. It's the intrinsic joy that she has. I've watched almost every interview she's ever done, and there's a quote I love. When people have been through the most, they have the most to give. Yeah, and you both carry that, but it's with that joy it's almost like the universe paired, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I know one hundred percent in my prayers every day I thank God and all that is, Yeah, that is planned for.
Speaker 1: This very experience for me. I know one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: That this is centuries in the making. Yeah, centuries in the making, centuries of my ancestors, her ancestors.
Speaker 1: The greater it.
Speaker 2: Coming together to a line like this, there is no other way to explain it.
Speaker 1: There's a speech from Maya Angelo, who part of your lineage, right, so your chosen lineage? Yes, And she talks about I think she was giving a graduation speech. She talks about bringing everyone in the room with you. Have you seen that one? Yes, So bring all your ancestors. There's all the people that loved you. Bring them into the room and know that you are supposed to be there.
Speaker 2: Yes, that you come as one, but you stand. Yes, this is ten thousand so many who have come before you. That is exactly it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, knowing that.
Speaker 2: Centuries in the making, before we were even a thought, this was supposed to happen, was supposed to happen the exact way it is.
Speaker 1: Have you ever talked about that with her? Do you feel like she thinks that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always tell her, well, first of all, COVID happened.
Speaker 1: And I'm like.
Speaker 2: She calls me and she's like, did you hear this this thing called what are you going to do? And I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm coming to you and she's like, all right, well, come the minute.
Speaker 1: Literally the whole world shuts down.
Speaker 2: It's me and her like we made it. We're stuck here together about like, oh my god, what is happening out there? I mean every time the first time I get COVID, I'm like, I'm on my way to you.
Speaker 3: She's like, are you sure, because I'm like, no, I'm on my way.
Speaker 1: I test positive for COVID.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, it's me and you again, Oh my god, thanks for taking care of me.
Speaker 1: There are so many moments where we just.
Speaker 2: There's no way. Yeah, there is no way. I don't care if you believe in science and science alone, there's no way you can account for the alignment of something like that.
Speaker 1: In Yiddish, there's a word kismet. Yeah, it means destiny, That's exactly it. It was kismut.
Speaker 2: It was kismut there's no way. I can't make sense of it. She can't make sense of it. But we're here, You're here, We're here.
Speaker 1: Okay, have one more Oprah question for you. Yeah, there was this funny podcast I listened to. It was a Soul cycle instructor, a Polo instructor, and she said, as she was transitioning from an attorney to a Peloton instructor, she was thinking about, like, if I get one shot, one question, if I'm in a room with somebody, what am I going to ask them? Because everybody wants to be in a room with Oprah, with Bill Gates, with these people, but then they get there and they don't know what they're gonna say. Right, I'm sure you've asked her hundreds of questions I have. What is one sort of piece of advice or wisdom of Sundays should we say that she's given you that really stays with you? You know what?
Speaker 2: I first of all a lot, because starting from the academy, the reason we call it a leadership academy is because so much of it is grounded in who she is, since she's one heck of a leader, spiritual leader, one heck of a human being to be led by. So I've so soaked in, soaked up so much of her wisdom over the years as Miss Winfrey and as mom and as you know. But I think one thing that has carried me and that I share even with all my friends, and has helped me a lot on my healing journey we talk so much about. She always says, wherever you go or wherever you are, there you will be. And essentially that is no matter the room, what you run from, the outfit you change in and out of who you are and what you are carving yourself out to be in this world will follow you through and through. And so the choices that we make on a daily basis, the choice that we make to heal our wounds, our scars, are not for now, for this space, for the time being, for you, for my grant, It's for my.
Speaker 1: For you, because it will always be with you.
Speaker 2: Wherever you are, there, you will be. There is not a thing you can run from when it is in here, same way, there is not a thing the world can take from you if it is in here same way. That is one that sticks with me through and through. I share it with every person that I love dearest, because it changed my life knowing that if I prioritize here, I'm good on any block, literally anywhere. I can spend so many hours by myself.
Speaker 1: And feel I'm perfectly at peace. I don't feel loneliness a lot.
Speaker 2: Which is something that you know you've lost as much as I've lost you. Yeah, you're prone to it. The average person is prone to it. Who has what I had and more?
Speaker 1: You know. But when you prioritize self and giving in to.
Speaker 2: You, you're good solid.
Speaker 1: You got some rapid fire. Girl. Listen to a performance that will always move you.
Speaker 2: There's a performance by a jazz artist. Her name is Miriam Makeba, South African jazz artist. It was one of her final performances, and I always just think of all she went through. So much of who she was reminded me of my grandmother, and my grandmother went through so much through apartheid, the government, blah blah, surviving as a young girl. And yeah, something about that moment just reminds me that my grandmother went through so much and like overcame favorite movie of all time. This is ridiculous, but thirty flirty and thriving. Why something about her?
Speaker 1: Hope? Have you met Jennifer Garner. I have never met her, and she'll be so happy.
Speaker 5: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Don't play with me literally if I there's something about her, hope, her joy when she is an adult living in her like thirteen year old self body, the inhibition, the just joy. My favorite partner come on and she calls him onto the floor and she's just like, let's just live.
Speaker 1: Like have you tried Raseles yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I haven't tried Razseles, but all I know is when I can, I'm going to get a dress made that is the exact same I saw. I think it was Olivia Rodrigo or someone who like wore it and like it was an o to her and I'm like, I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: To get myself that dress. That's great.
Speaker 2: I love thirty flirty and thriving. I have you have no idea, It's it's ridiculous and I've I've watched everything from I'm a huge Daniel day lewis your streep like Sophie's choice.
Speaker 1: Like but thirteen going on thirty my jam? I feel that way about First Wives Club, so I know it, get it? Yeah? What is a South African phrase that you love?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: My gosh, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: There's a phrase I use all the time that's like hybel and it means like so many things, from like no ways to say it ain't.
Speaker 1: So, to like what, to like no, she did it.
Speaker 2: It means so many things, and I say it all the time, even to my American friends. I'm like, you don't understand.
Speaker 1: Me, But hybel what all the time? My favorite. There's certain things from different languages that just don't translate. It just doesn't translate.
Speaker 2: It doesn't translate, but it means everything all at once. It's like, say you are lying to what is that too?
Speaker 3: Damn girl?
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's like everything.
Speaker 1: Do you remember an American phrase that like you learned when you first came here that you liked.
Speaker 3: There are a couple like recently, I really.
Speaker 2: Love child child, Oh child, I also loved that's lit.
Speaker 1: It's lit, it's lit, it's lit. There are a couple. I mean, I went to an HBCU.
Speaker 2: So so much Black culture is like, you know, influencing like popular culture. So there are lots, They're lots. That's probably the mildest I find what is your superpower?
Speaker 1: My hope? I was gonna say your joy. Oh yeah, but it's your hope and my hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I'm a very hopeful person. Yeah, and I think part and part of that is the joy. But I believe in goodness through and through. I believe in good things. I believe in good people. I see the best in things before I see the worst. It's probably the reason why I'm terrible for this business. I always tell my people like protect me. I might be a little naive for this because I insist on seeing goodness. I insist on being on being hopeful.
Speaker 1: I do too. Yeah. Yeah, I know you're a reader.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: Is there a book? This is a bookie podcast. Okay, is there a book that changed your life that you think everybody should read? Number one?
Speaker 2: The Untethered Soul Michealeysinger life changing. Also, you can read it at so many stages of your life and get so much from it.
Speaker 1: Number two The Gift Edith Eager. I haven't read that really good.
Speaker 2: She's a Holocaust survivor. She's actually I think she's like in her nineties. She's still alive. But she talks so beautifully about trauma and grounding yourself in it. And this is somebody who's gone through so much and is able to see the joy and happiness in life. And there are lots of people who go through trauma and they carry it and it is a mark on their lives, a mark on their happiness, on.
Speaker 1: Their ability to dream.
Speaker 2: Trauma changes people so much, makes people give up on the best of themselves. And something about that book reminds you to remain in your hope and know that life gets better. And honestly, if somebody can go through something like that and still see goodness and joy in life, then come on.
Speaker 1: We got this. We're okay? Yeah, okay, question everything.
Speaker 2: I love card game.
Speaker 1: We have the pretty smart card deck. Okay, so people always choose the card they're meant to have, so feel free? Should I read it? Yeah? What's a sech.
Speaker 2: Oh when was the last time you felt rejected?
Speaker 1: That's a thorne for me?
Speaker 2: Really, yes, because I had such a rocky relationship with my dad growing up, and it took so much work in my adult life to come to terms with him and see him as human and not a dad that little girl and me needed and wanted, And so I had to do so much work to overcome feeling, especially in relationship with men not feeling rejected or feeling seen and heard. But I'll tell you the last time I felt rejection was actually kind of recently with somebody who I really enjoyed, like, and they were going through a.
Speaker 1: Grief of sorts.
Speaker 2: And I know grief, and I know that people deal with grief in different ways, but I had tried to reach out to you know, you know, I'm here if you want to talk. You know, I wanted to be a vessel in that moment, because I like, I'm a professional.
Speaker 1: Griever at this point.
Speaker 2: And his response was essentially, I don't have the energy right now to engage, so I need space. And it's logical and sensible and I know it just fine, But for whatever reason, it felt like, Okay, I guess you don't need me or want me right now. I've I'm over it now. But in the moment, there was a little sting.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, there's that looks more than a little sting. That would sting me too, Yeah, a little trauma, little tickle at the wound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But logically I understand people grieved it differently. I mean, it's logical for being honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, last question, the smartest decision you've ever made. I've made a couple. Give you're a smart girl.
Speaker 2: Smartest smartest decision I ever made was saying yes to go into the Oprah Win for Leadership Academy. My life was forever changed by submitting that. Because as much as my principal strongly suggested it, recommended it, there was a huge part of me that was like, this is not a real thing.
Speaker 1: I watched the show.
Speaker 2: She never said this. I don't know about this. I've never even dreamt of going to a boarding school.
Speaker 1: I'm twelve.
Speaker 2: Why do you want to take me away from my grandmother?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: But I remember saying I'm taking it. I'm going there because it's going to take the weight off of my grandmother's shoulders. And that was the immediate thought. I thought, you know, the best fix of my life. But really it changed the entire trajectory of my life.
Speaker 1: It changed.
Speaker 2: Everything. Yeah, everything, best decision ever and the best decision they made was accepting me.
Speaker 1: Okay, one last question. Yeah, it's a favor. Really. Yeah, when you when you're first asker, I want to be the first one to interview, truly, I have to tell you.
Speaker 2: On my way here, I thought to myself one day, I'm actually going to share the story that Danielle was one of the first people to.
Speaker 1: Be like, come check this out. You're going to be something.
Speaker 2: I thought of that as I was in the ubam my way here. I was like, this is one of those things where you look back on and you're like, this was one of my.
Speaker 1: First like big oh. I felt really connected to your spirit.
Speaker 2: I felt you made this so easy to refreshing when you can sit in a space and still feel the raw emotion of your journey, of how much this means to me, the gravity of this moment and sit opposite somebody who feels it, who feels.
Speaker 1: It for you. So I'm grateful for that. I appreciate that. That's the greatest thing you could say. Thank you, It's the truth.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, today is a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week. Mm hmm.