Speaker 1: After I have a party, I just like to go around the house and just pour all the leftover liquids together to one big drink. And then maybe, if I'm lucky, I can get someone day to take a sip.
Speaker 2: Good morning, sweet world, and welcome to another No Dunk's podcast on the Athletic Network. Today's episode brought to you by Neutral Vodka Seltzer made with real vodka, real seltzer, real juice, all of them, all of it is real. It's Neutral, the one with the umlaut. It's Tuesday, March fourteenth, twenty twenty three. I'm jay Ea stkeets here in the Classic Factory and alongside me as always that's tas Mellis.
Speaker 3: Steph Curry is thirty five today, still twenty five to me though.
Speaker 2: Next to Tassius the Beard to one, my top Shaw hot boy, Trey Kirby, Hey, hey yo. And last but not least making the magic happen super producer that's jd. Hello, there he is, and here we are. Shout out to the stream team joining us live on YouTube. Like the vid comment away, Please subscribe to No Dunks.
Speaker 4: Get your No Dunks.
Speaker 2: Merchover at No dunks dot com. Hoodies, T shirts, mugs, hats, and hey, grab yourself a subscription to The Athletic, the greatest sports writing in the world. Go to the Athletic dot com slash no dunks and yes, happy birthday to Steph Curry.
Speaker 3: It just never, It doesn't feel like I'll ever get old face.
Speaker 4: A Saxon guy. Isn't he a good game for him last night?
Speaker 2: And Clay We'll get into a little bit of that in a bit, But first we had another wedgie, oh number forty five in Miami. We somehow missed this on playback. We were bouncing around from game to game and in the second quarter the groat stuck another one. He is the sixth player Kyle Lowry is this season to deliver multiple weggies. Eric Gordon's still leading the way with three, but uh five other guys now too, including Carl Lowry and man that pace.
Speaker 3: It just keeps going up, up, up coming for the record. Yeah on pace for fifty six, record of fifty eight only a couple of years ago. Lowry shooting over Lowry as well, and Eric Reid yelling he's done that before. Just don't Oh yeah, that's his class, that's it's his classic Weggie call forty five. We love it.
Speaker 2: You know we're gonna get I assume a couple wedgies in the March Madness Tournament starting on Thursday or even tonight. In these first four games.
Speaker 5: It happened recently that there was a wedgie and they had to get the cheerleaders into a pyramid to get the ball down.
Speaker 3: Right, That's what happened last year.
Speaker 4: Guess yes, legendary Weggie moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you watch, it'll happen again. All right, let's recap some of last night's NBA games and news with a little tru.
Speaker 4: Or false.
Speaker 2: True false questions. Again, off some of the games and topics going around the association. We will start here. We had Giannis playing against the King, scoring forty six points. He had twelve boards. He created a little scuffle at the end as well. But the Bucks get the win over the Kings one thirty three to one twenty four. And then meanwhile, Jalen Green scored twenty eight, Tatum blew a bunny at the rim that could have tied it up, and the Rockets beat the Celtics one eleven one oh nine. I bring up those two games together because at last check, according to our friends at bet MGM, the Celtics still the favorites to win the championship this year at plus three ten, Bucks in second at plus four hundred Suns plus four fifty Nuggets plus seven hundred and then you see the Sixers, Warriors, and Clippers rounding out our graphic here. So my tru or false question, Bucks should be the favorites to win the titles trure false task, Melosi.
Speaker 3: Of course they should, okay to how they're constantly overlooked. It doesn't matter what they do. They just won sixteen games. They're gonna have the best record in the NBA. Surprising to me. I thought they'd sort of take it easy. But they've got three fewer losses in the Boston Celtics. They're projected preseason with their over under total to be close to fifty wins. Now they're going to be very close to sixty wins. Why shouldn't they be the favorites. It's just because they got Milwaukee on their chest. It's a smaller city. That's why. There's no other reason. You mentioned Yannis's forty plus they scored eighty points in the second half of the Kings game. You might say Oh it's the Kings. No, they were just dominant. Yanis hitting threes, spinning, winning, Chris Middleton doing his spinning, brook Lopez stepping beyond the three point line. I think, what's going to happen? You mentioned that scuffle. Somebody's got to meme the finals odds or championship odds on Trey Lyle's face, and brook Lopez just got to punch it, you know, like that scene at the end of that game where brook Lopez got into it with Trey Lyles. Why should they not be the favorites? It's just because they're the Milwaukee Buck.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's like almost San Antonio Spurs, like in their dynasty run where they're always racking up you know, obviously great regular seasons, but you know, despite winning championships and having great talent, we're a lot of the times not the favorites or we're overlooked. Maybe the small market, maybe just because we become accustomed to it, is there's some similarities there with these these Bucks of the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: Definitely, they're probably not the sexiest title contender having actually won a championship.
Speaker 4: Sometimes her too.
Speaker 5: From a perspective standpoint, but I'm a task. It's kind of hilarious that they're not actually the title favorites right now. They've got the best team, they've got the best player, they've won a title before. Since January first, second best in defense, thirteenth in offense. That's not great, thirteenth in offense. Since February first, as Middleton's minutes have been taken up. Second best defense, sixth in offense. They are such a resilient team. They've got depth, they've got chemistry, but they've also been one of the best teams in the league for five straight seasons. So much like the Spurs, maybe people want to see something new and maybe there are more people in Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Who are gonna put down a wager upon their team.
Speaker 2: Middleton season high thirty one last night against the Kings. Nine as sists as well nine to fifteen from the floor, hit five threes, made all of his free throws. I bring that up because you said it. They have the best player in the world, probably in gi Honest, they're the best team record wise. They've won a title already. There's that too, so there's no like, oh, can they do it? When the Brights get lighter in the playoffs. Well, yeah, we know they can, but I think too with Middleton coming around now obviously getting his reps in him, Johannis Drew and Brook Lopez the level he's playing at right now too, and he had another good game, you know, before getting into it with Trey Lyle's getting tossed. Is there a team with a better four when they're playing at their peak in the league than those four spread across all the positions too, It's like every it's like almost collect them all, like you're collecting cups from the gas stations. You got the point guard, you've got obviously, you know your three bigs in Middleton, Jiannis and Brook. Is there another team with at that level when those guys are playing like they are right now that can match them?
Speaker 4: I can't really.
Speaker 2: You know, that used to be obviously the Warriors thing when KD was with them.
Speaker 4: Not any longer.
Speaker 2: You're probably struggling to find the fourth in like you're talking yourself into a pool or something like that.
Speaker 4: Now, Songs have a pretty good top four. One of them is hurt right now though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so they should be the favorites. I had the poll up on Twitter this morning. No, Dunk's Inc. Is our Twitter account, Nearly eighty two percent say yeah, true Bucks should be the favorites. And I even think to add to this because they're the number one seed. IY mean, they should be the favorites to come out of the East, because we said it all season long. The Celtics are gonna have to play the Sixers, not that they can't beat them, not that the Celtics can't beat the Bucks in the seven game series because they're really, really good. They're struggling right now, of course after losing last night too, but they got to go to war against each other, so it's like there is just an easier path too for a number one seed in Milwaukee. So they should be the favorites.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they absolutely should be the favorites. And give it a week and that will probably be the case. But if you're the Celtics, you say, the Sixers can never beat us oh and three this season and a long history of taking it to EMBIID. They also won a Game seven on the road last year beating the Heat. So if you're the Celtics, you're saying, yeah, we can also go on the road and win a Game seven. Obviously you want to have the number one seed going forward. I would say the only concern really for the Bucks is that they don't really have the most athletic team out there, and that could be a problem if they get into maybe a small ball sort of deal against a Celtics team who can play pretty fast when they want to.
Speaker 3: But they go by the their leader, and obviously their leader is stepping up here as the Celtics can turn it on here at the end of the season. Obviously they're not doing the little things like they didn't do against the Rockets last night, But with Yannis leading your way, you just have no choice but to come along for the ride. I mean, they are playing harder, strong, and they get better as games go on. I mentioned that eighty points second half yesterday because Janis didn't start up the entire game. That was freaking impressive. How they all took turns. Now it's your turn, Chris Middleton, Now it's your turn, Brook Lopez, and they're all stepping up there. They're looking for their fifth guy for sure. They're they're they're looking Can it be Joe Ingles, Can it be Jay Crowder? Can it be Grayson Allen? Has he had a nice little cherry pick at the end of that game. There. Uh, they they're just so stacked and yeah, they just they just continue to fight through. And last year brook Lopez came on after playing only eleven games in the regular season. They're doing that perfectly with Chris Middleton. I mean, he looks like Chris Middleton and he looks like a freaking All Star out there. So he's their number two guy. Yeah, they should be. They're just overlooked.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the scuffle at the end here where I guess according to the Kings, they didn't like how Yannis was dribbling out the clock.
Speaker 5: Right, Several Kings set after the game that they took exception to Giannis's slow and angled dribbling. Yes, so that they were mad they blew the game in the second Yeah what I And then I thought the refs were mad that Trey Lyles did that because the game should have been over. So they're like, get out of here, brook Lopez, get out of here. You've never been kicked out of a game before this season. Now it's happened twice. He's pointing like crazy, there's just.
Speaker 4: Some frustration there.
Speaker 2: Nothing really happened, well, right, and Brooke is saying, like, I mean, you can read his lips like he's sticking up for his superstar, not just because Trey Lyles is taking offense, to be honest, the way he's trimpling, and you know, there's pushing and shoving and then Brook coming to his defense and a lot of throat grabbing going on right now.
Speaker 3: Brook Trey got a little he got a little personal. Trey Lyles got a little too close. He Brooke would have just gone nose to nose, but Lyles raised his hands and so then Brooke grabbed a throat. That's all that happened. Trey Trey got a little too aggressive, I think. But you know, you know why these Bucks are sort of like the Warriors of the last few years, and even the Spurs basketball is secondary to them in a way. Like they have they've got a great locker room and they've just they they're they're they've got their priorities straight. Brook Lopez saw a clip of him yesterday. He was on Fanasamo's podcast. Everyone's got a podcasts a podcast, Yeah, Fanalytics, Yeah, yeah, it's got great, great guests. Great, all right. Ben Baker came on there, talked about his alcohol abuse. Very good, guess Brook Lopez went on there. Yeah, he said the best movie of all time is Star Wars the Wizard of Oz Oh. Oh yeah, great pick. He said every movie can be great, it can be built on that movie. And he went into it. He just he explained it how he's frightened by it, but he also absolutely loves it.
Speaker 5: Anyways, I think the priorities are right because they're focusing on the classic movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Not.
Speaker 2: The basketball court.
Speaker 3: Got their priorities straight man.
Speaker 2: Just a fun stat from Stattudes the Bucks trio there of Jannis, Middleton and Brook, they combined for one hundred points last night. The only other starting front court over the last twenty five seasons to score at least one hundred points in the game. You guys want to take I guess that it happened in December twenty twenty two, December.
Speaker 4: Season.
Speaker 3: Yes, the only front court to score hundred points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the last twenty five seasons.
Speaker 3: Uh, Jazz, No, no, crazy one.
Speaker 4: Calves It's it.
Speaker 2: It's tough because the third player that was in on the mix with these two superstars Lakers Lakers, Lakers, Anthony Davis, Lebron James and Lonnie Walker the fourth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a weird one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they're three four five there combiding for.
Speaker 4: Over one hundred.
Speaker 2: They did one hundred and four in that December game. But Bucks Trio did it last night just to slip in the Warriors here a little bit because they were on that graphic. Nice graphic by the way, JD. I really like the work he did their little animation on that. Nobody's angry with that. But they beat the Suns one twenty three, one twelve, and they got their eighth straight victory at home. Klay Thompson was lights out thirty three of US thirty eight in the first half, bomb and threes. Steph Currey at at twenty three, seven and five, And I keep bringing this up, Tasks, because I got to give you credit. Looney once again really good in this nine points, ten boards, five assists. You know, Eaton got his numbers two. But Curry does seem to be like playing him a little bit more and has figured out that he is important to this team. He knows that, I mean, Steve Curry knows his team. But any thoughts from the Warriors beating the Suns there last.
Speaker 3: Night, Yeah, it's a winning time, so Kevon Looney's got to get into the starting lineup. They need to win games. Is there's no more waiting around for Wiggins to see if he comes back. When he comes back, so they throw Looney into the starting lineup. What a wild ride for Klay Thompson scorching hot and then in the third quarter couldn't hit a free throw. Strange, strange game for him. But yeah, they continue this streak at home, and yeah, the Sun's now got to go play the Bucks, so a lot. Yeah, some chatter about whether the Suns will will dip in the standings. Yeah, both these two teams are teams that teams at the top are extremely frightened about. Sure and sure and should and should be one hundred percent. But it's nice to see the old Clay game, you know, once a playoff series, if he can do that, can turn a series.
Speaker 2: He might save it till a game six, game six to Clay. Any thoughts on this.
Speaker 5: One, Well, I would be a little nervous if I'm the Suns, because the Warriors own Chris Paul historically for about a decade at this point. They did last night, and right now they're in the four or five. Yeah, the Sun or the Warriors haven't been great on the road. But I'm not necessarily convinced that a Son's team led by Chris Paul will keep it together down the stretch. So that's a little extra intrigue added here. I will say though, that in Game six of the Finals last year, Kavon Looney came off the bench. That's the great thing about Looney. He is very flexible. Yeah, if he needs to start, he starts. If he needs to come off the bench, no problem. He's going to do his thing regardless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was pretty cool to see Curry back down Chris Paul and then clearly say this is in twenty fourteen anymore, when they lost to the Clippers in a first round series. Things have changed. She ain't twenty five anymore. He's thirty five.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it's still all right.
Speaker 5: Next one, one quick thing about the Celtics versus the Rockets. Does Joe Mizzoula have a second end of the game play?
Speaker 2: Uh No, it's it's Tatum time, baby.
Speaker 4: Well it's one. It's one play play smart or to White.
Speaker 5: It's worked twice, did not work this time. Pretty good defense by Jabari Smith. I thought on Tatum though he still did get to the rim. Robert Williams, though, five straight miss games with a hamstring. Hamstrings obviously are a lingering injury, and that is going to be the problem for the Celtics. They got out rebounded last night by the Rockets forty eight to thirty eight. They're going to be coming up against a couple of really big teams in the playoffs, assuming they meet up either with the Bucks or with the Sixers. So Robert Williams get healthy and stay healthy, which is a big ass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big big ass for him. Unfortunately, all right, next one here.
Speaker 2: According to WOJH, Grizzly star John Morant has entered a counseling program in Florida. This broke on Monday yesterday. Moran has been away from the team for the past ten days and there's still no timetable for his return. This is very difficult for you to answer. I get that, But after last night's win in Dallas, which was a nice solid win from the grizz they only have fifteen regular season games left. That's it, and then the playoffs will be here for them. So true or false again, just go with your gut, John Morant won't play another game this season, trueor false?
Speaker 4: Trade you get started. I guess my gut says false.
Speaker 5: I think he'll play again, but I think it's definitely possible that we don't see Jaw again this season. Just the fact that he's going to a treatment program that's out of state kind of suggests that the Grizzlies and Jaw are addressing something that's more than just partying in a nightclub. There's only three weeks left of the season, which I suppose is enough time to complete whatever steps the Grizzlies have set fourth for Jaw.
Speaker 4: Recondition and get back to playing.
Speaker 5: But I mean, this feels like a big deal that Jaw is going far away from the team to address something off the court. So there is time, I suppose for him to get back, but it wouldn't be a surprise if.
Speaker 4: He's done this year.
Speaker 3: I do think he plays again. Obviously, this yeah, just a total guess. But it's all about the NBA conducting its own investigation. So, as you said, Skeets, the NBA is definitely involved here. I don't think there's any doubt about that they're conducting an investigation. The Grizzlies have said initially he's away for two games, he's away for another four games. He's at five of those six games missed right now, and so they haven't put a timeline on it. But the NBA may in coordination here with the Memphis Grizzlies. They may say after conducting its own investigation about bringing either a gun into their locker room, which the NBA does not allow, into the visitors' locker room, or onto the airplane right which the NBA does not allow. Although Colorado's an open carry state, but businesses have freedoms. We're a country of laws. We're a country of freedoms. But the NBA says no. So here we are five games missed, and I think the league can say he's ended for ten games and the five will be retroactively accounted for. So they may be a suspension, but I think the five games will play into it. Again, who knows. As Trait said, it's bigger than maybe just a clubbing situation, and it's a good thing that they're dealing with it. And you know, further reporting from the athletic says that he has been talking to his teammates YEP via video via phone. So I don't think he's not like gone from the situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Coach Jenkins had a little bit to say about this too, Grizzlies coach. He said, quote, there is a lot of internal dialogue going on, and obviously there are still things going on at the league level as well that we're in communication about. I think that was a I think that speaks to, of course, the league is involved with the Grizzlies and John Moran and his team somehow. I guess my gut says, unfortunately true that maybe we don't see him, and that's totally fine as long as he's like getting his shit together. We also don't know what the expectations are of Morant before he can return to this team, And we don't know if the program that he has entered is part of like the team's plan for him. Is it the league sort of mandate, you know, sort of like secret mandate that they want.
Speaker 4: Him to do?
Speaker 2: This, Is it Joah Morant on himself seeking it out. It's probably a combo of all three, and you would hope it maybe would be. But there's not a lot of regular season left. Could he back? Of course he could, but I guess if I have to pick one, I'm going to say not. The poll people are pretty split on this one. Fifty four percent agree with you guys, and say false that we will see jam Morant this year. I guess you could then, I mean it would be a little weird maybe if he came back for the playoffs, like just straight into game one, so probably regular season. So forty six percent or so say nah, true, maybe we don't see him until next year.
Speaker 3: And you went through the suspensions for prior guns in the locker rooms. Who knows where that gun was. But as far as guns in the NBA goes, I mean he has served, Like if we're using that as sort of a benchmark, he served five if you want to look at it that way, right, Yes, close.
Speaker 5: Sebastian Telfair got suspended for bringing a loaded gun onto the plane. That was two games. Steven Jackson was another one for firing a gun at a strip club in the parking lot. That was seven games. So we are getting about to that mark right now. Yep, we will wait and.
Speaker 2: Find out all right. Back to basketball another night, another close game from Miami. Jimmy Butler scored twenty four points. He led seven Miami players in double figures as the Heat held off the Jazz one nineteen one fifteen. We watched a good chunk of this one on playback. Definitely down the stretch. They're nice play from BAM to say no no and secure the victory. It was Miami's twenty fourth win by five points or less this season. They play a lot of these clutch games, right, games that are within five points in the final five minutes. Actually, it's the Heat and the wh will play the most in the league, so here they are. They've got lowry back. They pull this one out true or false tasks. No one wants to play the Miami Heat in a first round playoff series.
Speaker 3: I know the thing to say is true, this is a veteran team to the Eastern Conference finals last year. But I'm gonna say false. I think they're five better teams in the East and the Box, Celtic, Sixers, CAZ, and Knicks. Those are better teams. I think people would be more scared of those five teams. And I'll say I think the Nets equally as scary as the Miami Heat, even if they're young and they don't have a Jimmy and they don't even have a BAM. I think their offense is better than the Miami Heats, even if they don't have a Jimmy. And if there's anything that jimmy doesn't play well against, its length, and the Nets have a lot of that, and it may sound stupid to put them on the same level as the Miami Heat, but I don't think that offense Lowry may help. I hope Kyle Lowry comes to get to his regular self. He kind of looked like his disruptor getting his hands in there type self yesterday. But this offense is not scary. It's just not.
Speaker 4: So you said not scared, you say false, not scared.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone should be scared.
Speaker 5: No one should be scared of the Heat. And there's really only two teams that are gonna play him. They're either gonna get the Celtics or they're gonna get the Bucks. I think Miami gonna be the proverbial tough out.
Speaker 4: Come playoff time.
Speaker 5: But look at what they've done this season, fourteen to twenty on the road. They're gonna be starting on the road. They're gonna have a Game seven on the road should they get there. Boston eliminated Miami last year. Milwaukee eliminated them the year before. So let's take a look at this season's numbers. Miami two and two against Boston. One of the wins was in overtime two days after the Celtics beat him. The other win was when they the Celtics had no Jalen Brown, no Marcus Smart, no Al Horford, and won the second night.
Speaker 4: Of a back to back.
Speaker 5: As for the Bucks, two and two against them as well, but neither Giannis or Middleton played in either of Miami's wins. I think Miami probably a better chance against Boston just because they don't have the size to hang with the Bucks. Last night, the Jazz out rebounded Miami forty eight to thirty seven. They got sixteen offensive rebounds. They play three tiny guys almost all the time. Even BAM is not a big big. It's gonna be Kevin Love alongside them a lot of the time. Caleb Martin as well will get time at the four, but BAM has had just double digit rebounds once since the All Star Break. They're twenty seventh and three point percentage, and they're terrible in seasons that end in an odd number twenty fifteen. They missed the playoffs. Twenty sixteen went to the second round, twenty seventeen missed the playoffs, twenty eighteen lost in the first round, twenty nineteen, missed the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty they lose in the finals.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty one, losing the first round, twenty twenty two, lost in game seven of the conference finals.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty three. They're gonna lose in the first round.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, yeah, Well they're the seventh seed right now. They're game and a half up on the Hawks. They're three back from the Nets and Knicks, so it looks like they might have to get their way in in the PL though. If they play the Hawks in a seven eight matchup, well that'll be Miami's destroying Atlanta. So yeah, then they would have a two to seven matchup. Could be the Bucks, could be the Celtics, still could be the seventy six ers. If they get up there, it will be a tough, tough battle. I think this might be true, though, because I wasn't like true or false. Those three teams at the top of the East should be terrified of Miami. I said, no one wants to play them. If I have a pick of all those other playing teams, I'm taking the Hawks, the Raptors, the Bulls, maybe the Wizards. I mean, all these crap mid teams definitely over a Miami Heat team who at least have an identity. Yeah, they got some shortcomings, but obviously a vet team and have gone through some reps. I think it would be a tough series.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I will push back on that though, and I've said this before that.
Speaker 3: I question back on yourself.
Speaker 2: I am because I actually I said this before. I love a team that has championship aspirations. I love when they're tested in a first round series. I think it's the best thing that can happen in them a lot of the time, to be like a little wake up call, like oh yeah, not just like a four to zero walk over this garbage team sweep. That's fine because you play less games, less wear and tear on your body. I get that some more rest for the second round, sure, But I don't mind like getting punched in the moat a little bit like oh yeah, this is the playoffs, Like this isn't gonna be easy. And we've seen that happen before, so I guess what I'm getting. I was like, maybe playing the Miami Heat in the first round if you're the Bucks or the Celtics or the Sixers and you probably beat them, could be a good thing, though, as you get ready to move on.
Speaker 5: So iron Sharpman's Ironers, He's twenty twenty The Heat beat the Bucks in the playoffs first round twenty twenty one. The Bucks swept them went on to win the NBA Championship, also the Miami The Boston Celtics beat the Heat in the conference finals last year, went to the finals.
Speaker 4: Probably you do want to play the Heat? Can you go to the finals?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Gets you ready. The votes on this one fifty seven percent if we round up, say false, So no one really scared of Miami.
Speaker 3: Would you take them over in a series against the Knicks? Unlikely to happen, but it could have. Would would you take the Heat versus the Knicks? I mean, obviously everyone's taking the Buck, Celtics, seventy six ers over this Heat team if they play. The questions are the Calves, Knicks and the Nets? Right, I would doubt I would take the Calves and Knicks over the Heat. And then it's a coin flip. Even with this super young Nets team to me because there are offensive shortcomings, I.
Speaker 2: Would be I would be taking the way of the Heat over the nets in a potential, very unlikely, hypothetical first round series.
Speaker 3: But not the Calves are the Knicks.
Speaker 4: That's that one caves is question. That's tough.
Speaker 5: I think that the Heat would have the best player on the court against every team again except for potentially the Calves.
Speaker 4: Donovan Mitchell can kind of get to Jimmy's level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the length is gonna bother Jimmy. I think with the Calves front line.
Speaker 4: I ain't worried about the Calves personally.
Speaker 2: Well, fine, doubt final one guys. According to Shams our guy at the Athletic the NBA and Players Association are close to an agreement that would create a minimum games played requirement for regular season awards such as MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, and so on. But while both sides are in agreement about this concept, they have yet to deter f'man an actual figure for the number of games that you would have to play? Would it be fifty eight, would it be sixty, sixty five, seventy something crazy like that? We don't know. But in theory. They might agree with this in sort of like the collective bargaining agreement, you would have to hit a certain amount of games played to win one of these awards, maybe even make all NBA teams true or false. So try you get it started. The NBA doesn't need this. They don't need a games played threshold for these awards.
Speaker 4: It's both true and false. Okay, go on.
Speaker 5: They don't need it because the threshold already exists. Bill Walton is the only guy to win an MVP with less than seventy games played, and that was in nineteen seventy eight. Bill on top of the world, as were the Grateful Dead. But they do need it because the optics of doing something with regards to load management. You can easily foresee a future where the threshold is fifty eight games to align with the scoring title. But I think this will have more of an impact for all NBA voting when there are fifteen spots up rather than just one stop or one spot a top the award voting. The thing that was interesting to me with regards to this is that the Players Association approached the league about a threshold for award voting kind of stuff because we're starting to hear a lot more now that it's the teams that are handing down the load management schedules and that players really want to play. They're getting upset with the rest considering the fact that they're still getting injured at massive rates even though they're sitting out more games to elongate their careers. So I thought that part was interesting, and I think it'll be good that there's a little window dressing saying, hey, we're doing something, because everybody knows the teams, the players, obviously the league that to make the most money in this next deal, they have to ensure that the best players are on the court as much as possible.
Speaker 3: A games play thresholds for NBA Awards isn't going to change players sitting out. I don't think even if it gets to seventy, which I I don't think they would come to that number. I hope this is in coordination with talk about getting guys more rest. I know they're sitting. I know we're not going to get to a point where we're reducing games, but I think we've got to reduce back to backs. That's the biggest thing. And what does that mean if if we're not going to reduce games. I think that just means elongating the season October one, probably just to have another two and a half weeks. So those thirteen fourteen, fifteen back to backs that each team has, go poof, go away, that's what has to happen, and you'll see more guys play, and you'll see more teams say, okay, we're checking the schedule here. There isn't as many load management games where you have to take off. This is just about guys playing. The players in these reports. It's what it was CJ McCollum, Chris Paul saying this is about our team saying to us we need to sit games. This isn't about us wanting to sit games. So how does that get alleviated. It's not because you throw this number out for an NBA award. Hey, you got to play seventy games. I mean, it's just it's unlikely that number one would be that high. Number two. It's just I think it's just B to b's just the back to backs is the biggest thing. And I assume that we'll be talking regular season earlier, not later. We're not going into July, but I think we'll be starting earlier I think that could happen, and it should happen. Really, if the games aren't going to be reduced, do.
Speaker 2: You think the league will add a minute's threshold to prevent players from just checking in getting that GP?
Speaker 4: Are you with me?
Speaker 2: And then you know, play a couple of minutes and then take the night off. Now, that would tank their averages and stuff like that stats. So I don't think they would need that. I don't think we need this. I'm with you, TK. I guess you could argue it's come up in other situations like Rookie of the Year races and maybe even Defensive Player of the ear races. Less so for MVP, it's just like we all agree you gotta play a good chunk of the season to be considered the most valuable player and outside of Bill Walton way back in the day, and you get rid of the shortened seasons, of course, yeah, you gotta play soe many games like you just have to sort of the rule. Though, we're getting closer where a lot of the top guys will be like flirting with that right where it will just become they'll all be almost sort of ballpark yeap.
Speaker 4: That game's played.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what impact that has, but for that we don't need it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't care. I think it will probably be fifty eight. I don't fifty eight or sixty like to go with that scoring title eligibility that you have to hit to win. To win that, which.
Speaker 5: What do you win except the honor you get the bold number on your basketball reference.
Speaker 4: Well, that's nice.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 4: I like those bold numbers.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: It's just another number we'll forget really because it doesn't mean anything. If if it lines up with the fifty eight games minimum to win a scoring title, which it's just another thing that even us sickos will have to look up annually like it just we don't. We won't remember it if the fifty eight means nothing.
Speaker 2: The vote on this one, similar to the last two. It's basically a fifty five to forty five split. People say false overall, though, that we really don't need this so enough more people are fine with it adding some sort of like threshold.
Speaker 4: I guess their eligibility games played.
Speaker 2: The league and union, by the way, have until March thirty first to reach an agreement on a new CBA exercise. Their mutual opt out of the current CBA, or once again extend the negotiating window, which I think they've already extended twice.
Speaker 4: So that's what we call a fake deadline.
Speaker 5: Yes, when one of the options is we can push it back, it's a good point. I haven't seen any reporting though about Donovan Mitchell trash talking Grant Williams, because I think this would have been the call right right, Oh, we got a players union call coming up. We might be talking about you missing those free throws. He missed the free throws. But I haven't seen any of the fallout.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can. We'll need to see the minutes. Who is taking minutes a call? Where did that come up? Goods and Welfare?
Speaker 3: At the end, who's the secretary of you know, taking minutes? He's keeping notes?
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's take our first break when we come back. The March Madness continues here for us this week, and we will fill out the East region of our no Dunks bracket.
Speaker 4: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Back with the boys in the Classic Factory. Yesterday we started filling out our no Dunks March Madness bracket. You can join our pool by clicking that first link in our show notes. They're in the description. Get on in. I saw we had over one hundred people filling out their brackets already. We'll figure out what we want to put on the line as a top prize. Anybody wanted Chris Paul rockets jersey size small man. I interest you in that, I'll sign it for you.
Speaker 3: Can wear it at the Final four, Yes.
Speaker 2: Right in Houston. So we started with the South Region yesterday and our first Final four selection was the number one seated Alabama. And I was looking at our picks going back, and I said, did we pick enough upsets?
Speaker 3: We picked enough?
Speaker 2: We picked three. We had the number nine seed over eight.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: We had the number ten seed when in a game or two in Utah State because we've been to Utah recently. We are diehard college basketball fans here. And we had number eleven seed NC State going on an Elite eight run. That was our That was probably our craziest pick because we are all about the wolf Pack.
Speaker 4: Wolf Pack at Carolina.
Speaker 2: So it's okay, Yeah, we got three upsets. You think that's enough. You feel comfortable about that desk?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. It took out those Bears in the round of sixteen, and that's fine by me.
Speaker 5: Okay, I wish we would have picked one more skeets. I wish we would have picked the Southeast Missouri RedHawks to upset the Alabama Crimson Tide because I just found out from my father in law that the head coach of Southeast Missouri State is the greatest basketball player in the history of my high school, a guy I grew up across the street from brag Corn coaching Southeast Missouri to their first tournament appearance in twenty three seasons.
Speaker 2: So they played one they play either later tonight.
Speaker 5: Okay, wow, six forty Eastern against Texas Corpus Christy. So I'm a big Semo fan.
Speaker 3: So they may not be in the tournament, but you they're in the tournament. Well, the tournament, this is the.
Speaker 2: Tournament starts tonight dayton counts. Damn it.
Speaker 3: Let's see if they went. I thought you played against him, but he's a coach, I mean, I thought he was playing. I thought he was playing. No eligibility.
Speaker 5: He graduated two years ahead of me. But literally his name is Brad Corn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard this one.
Speaker 2: I'm putting some corn on some uh, mister Corn.
Speaker 5: Tonight yeah, let's go to corn Yeah, okay, yeah, he's a very tall, very skinny, very redheaded fella cornstock, a real corn stock out there. Let's go Simo, alright, let's go see Cornet. I'm making that shirt for tonight. I'm gonna write on this shirt. All right, let's get started here in the East region. Got a big boy in the one seed here the boiler Makers playing against the play and winner between Texas Southern and Florida Dominican University.
Speaker 2: I don't know FDU Dominion.
Speaker 5: That could be if you've got a high school teammate, who's their coach?
Speaker 4: Let us know Perdue. That is led by seven foot four Zach Eadie.
Speaker 2: That's right, oh can.
Speaker 4: And likely National player of the year.
Speaker 2: It seems a big old boy seven four rap song on his back. He's Figgerland, British, Columbia, the Great Lakes combined.
Speaker 4: It looks like the whole there.
Speaker 2: What is that a man?
Speaker 4: Or?
Speaker 2: Is that Paul Bunyon Canadians, American mythology?
Speaker 4: Minnesota?
Speaker 5: We got we got it by Dwayneer is a boiler Maker as well.
Speaker 4: So that's your father in law.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's an actual boiler Maker. What is that again, Well, he helps build power plants.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, the boiling pots.
Speaker 4: Boiling pots.
Speaker 3: Three pounds man Zach Edie looking forward to watching.
Speaker 2: Got a nice touch though. This guy's not a stiff. This guy has a nice game to him.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And we were talking about on playbag what did what did Big Country Brent Reeves do back in the day for Oklahoma State? They went to the final four, didn't they.
Speaker 5: It's not the nineties, bro, I know, but this guy plays like it's a little bit of a throwback.
Speaker 2: Obviously, seven fouries. You know, he's around the rim.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you've got a seven foot four guy who's the best player in the country and you can't beat a sixteen seed, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that would be an issue.
Speaker 5: They're gonna lose in the second round, but we'll get to that a little bit here. Who are they going to be playing? The Memphis Tigers. Penny Hardaway, Penny Hardaway exactly right, versus foul foul Florida Atlantic or Atlantic University, the foul Owls.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would like to take Memphis in this matchup just because of Hardaway.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 3: The owls are in the NCAA term for the second time in school history, and the first time since two thousand and two. It's been a while twenty one years.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think this is gonna be an up and down game from what I can tell. Oh, well, running gun kind of gah, it.
Speaker 2: Sure looks like it. All right, let's go with Memphis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go with there. Take years, guys, let's go all right. Next, a five to twelve matchup, always right for upsets. We got the Duke Blue Devils versus the Oral Roberts Mouths.
Speaker 2: Has Colgate ever played.
Speaker 5: Oral Roberts in a teeth Bowl in the Crest Bowl? Yeah, i'msure.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Duke, now correct me if I'm wrong. This is a little alarming. It's so weird sometimes to see Duke as a fifth seed. What but they had a bad regular season and then just went on. They went on a late run right where they I think they.
Speaker 3: Won their won they won nine straight. Yeah, yeah, they're hot and the regular season and then won the conference tournament.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll start.
Speaker 5: I think they're like seventeen and one or something like that with their starters helping.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: People also say the ACC had a down year. I also saw Jay Billis has Duke in the final four. Shocker, Yeah he went there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Lara Roberts has a one hundred and seventy ninth Strength of Schedule rating pretty low. That's bad.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, they got a lot of wins. Don't they love seeing all those wins right by them?
Speaker 4: But I'm taking Duke.
Speaker 2: I don't know that happy about it.
Speaker 4: Thet they got a big seven foot or two Philipowski. That's his full name or his last name, Kyle Philip housh Okay, well, first name, Philip, last name.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know nothing about this, all right, We're going Duke. Good stuff?
Speaker 4: That good stuff.
Speaker 5: I guess the Tennessee Volunteers versus Louisiana raging cag In's.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah, good name U l from the Belt Conference. They've really been tightening the Belt. Tennessee, I know, is a defensive.
Speaker 5: Stalwart, though perhaps they have some scoring troubles at time. I think they may be missing one of their top players right now. The defense often shows up in the tournament. Look at that, only fifty eight points per game. Very tough, that's very.
Speaker 2: Chalk on defense. I know the game plan tasks. You gotta read on.
Speaker 3: This Oh, absolutely, of course I have a read on this one. Yeah. The volunteers beat Kansas, Texas and Alabama, the big schools by an average of eleven points per win. They lost, yeah, a lot of games. I guess they lost two teams yea below them.
Speaker 2: They play up, they play up or down to their competition. You say, well, that might be bad news, that might be maybe falling into the hands of the region cagns.
Speaker 4: Could be it overlook them.
Speaker 5: You know there were ragients hard Well, these cagents are wild.
Speaker 2: What are we doing we want chalk on this boring? Or are we taking the raging cagins.
Speaker 3: We'll get some upsets later. It feels like, you know, the boiler Makers are going to get knocked down. We've got a Marquette coming up. Yeah, they're too good. They're too good. Yeah, we'll see you later.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you want Tennessee is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, lets the record show I will not be cheering for them. I like the Raging Cajun's nickname.
Speaker 4: It would be fun Cajun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, anyway, the Kentucky Wildcats you ever heard of them? Versus the Providence Friars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it's uh well, we don't.
Speaker 4: Even analyzing here. The people are still running the numbers.
Speaker 5: In the background, they say, oscar tashibwe how are how is the Friars going to keep them off the glass?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, nobody knows.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not a college basketball fan, but but every single NBA player I like comes from Kentucky. So it feels like my college. So, uh, you know, I got my bookers and maches and Jamal's and so I have to cheer for Kentucky. Big Blue Nation, baby, big Blue Nation. Yeah, that's me, always has this guy loves like purple. Actually I do love Yeah, they're coming up next.
Speaker 3: It'll be fun to take chalk here into the round of thirty two, and we're going and it'll be fun. It'll be fun. And then you just turn it around in the round of sixteen.
Speaker 4: All right, Kentucky.
Speaker 2: We have to take Kentucky.
Speaker 4: I can't cheer from We better take usc coming up pretty soon. Just eyeball and things. We need an upset.
Speaker 2: Okay, stop moment in this. I guess we're done. We're done on analysis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like you don't know anything anyway. Yeah, why are you looking at these numbers?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right, it's a match.
Speaker 5: Maybe Kansas State also a wildcat. I'm not well taken. Montana State looks like it could be a wildcat of some sort. Isn't that looks like a cat? It could be a link Bob could be a okaycat.
Speaker 2: There you go, caversus cat.
Speaker 4: You more of a wildcat or a bobcat.
Speaker 3: I'm going with Jerome Tang of Kansas State. Great name, I like, just like, No, he's a he's a coach. Oh, just figure that out. He's smart though, that's I meant part of this part of this right up. I'm reading on the athletic here, so plus young rising stars. Then I saw Jerome Tang, but it's young rising stars in coaching profession like Jerome Tang and Dusty May of Florida Atlantic Coaching.
Speaker 4: Though it does matter in college.
Speaker 3: I'm riding with Tang, all right, cat though in.
Speaker 2: The in nature, what cat would come out on top? Well, that's much bigger, I believe.
Speaker 3: I have no idea, but a Bob.
Speaker 2: I'll look it up.
Speaker 3: I think I think a Bob who wins. Bob's not big.
Speaker 2: I think a bobcat is shocking smaller.
Speaker 3: It's very But are you.
Speaker 5: Telling me that a bobcat isn't just a a more drilled down version of a wildcat? You know, like squares and rectangles. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
Speaker 3: Like has been domesticated cat?
Speaker 5: Right, wildcat contains all of the different cat species, So I'm like a bobcat, a lynx, a cougar. They would all file fall underneath oldcat.
Speaker 4: I might be wrong.
Speaker 2: Is a wildcat a mountain lion, because if it is a mountain lion would defeat a bobcat. According to this one website, though a bobcat will take down much larger apex predators.
Speaker 3: I think you're I think is right in that it contains a larger category. I'm seeing a cheetah, clouded leopard, a cougar, a jaguar, leopard, a lion, a snow leopard, a sunda clouded leopard, a tiger. But and then I see a list of small wild cats cougars not there, so I think it's still bigger than a cougar. I mean a bobcat.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Okay, who do we take kanst Kansas.
Speaker 5: State right now, carnivorous, All right, Michigan State Spartans versus the USC Trojans.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that like a classic battle in Greek mythology.
Speaker 3: The Trojans, the Trojans, We'll get them. It's a trojan horse here.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a Trojan horse situation. I think we should take at least one upset here. Yeah, I love it, I love it. I think we got to take a ten. Yeah, okay, great, Michigan State is always.
Speaker 5: Great in the tournament unfortunately, but just right state, Yeah, yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: We'll get to the stuff.
Speaker 4: We get to the stuff.
Speaker 3: You guys do it, do it all right? Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey I'm not up. Analysis is back. But guess what Michigan State you're going on? I guess nice Marqueta Vermont. Yeah, of course we're going chalk rock chalk, Marquette Hawk.
Speaker 3: I think I think kett is uh is going all the way.
Speaker 2: Wow, people have to the final four ska. Well we just did a freaking chalk first round.
Speaker 3: Chalk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but's of that happening are like very low I think.
Speaker 4: For one region.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably probably doesn't happen often.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but people probably didn't research as much as yeh a wildcat bobcat situation to come to their conclusions. U. Speaking of cats that are wild, we've got the Purdue boiler Makers of one seed versus the number eight seeded Memphis Tigers.
Speaker 4: In the round of thirty two matchup.
Speaker 3: See here we go.
Speaker 4: We're team cats, We're team cats. Where this is our first big upset, this is our first big upset. Styles make fights skeets.
Speaker 5: I saw Perdue is in the three hundreds for rank with regards to pace, whereas Memphis, I think is like a top fifty pace school.
Speaker 2: Run and gun.
Speaker 4: Those Purdue guards aren't going to be able to keep up, nor Zach. That's right, Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 5: And I saw somebody in the stream team yesterday said that when the Penn State Nitney Lions went to a press against Perdue, they had a lot of trouble dealing with the increased athleticism. So we're goal and we're in Memphis right now.
Speaker 4: How about Duke versus Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Got no red on this one, no read, but I'm gonna I like, I don't mind the idea of a hot team right now, give me.
Speaker 3: Duke upset Round let's go. It's an upset.
Speaker 4: Okay, five over four, I like it.
Speaker 5: Duke Peekin, we got a nice blue game coming up there in the Elite Sweet sixteen. All right, Kentucky. Kansas State Wildcats versus Wildcats were screwed. We got no takes here.
Speaker 4: This is tough.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wildcat versus Wildcat, Big Blue Nation versus the Purple People Leaders.
Speaker 4: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: I've always liked both these teams in filling out brackets over the years. I don't know why. Sure, I think I take these teams a lot, But now I'm forced to pick one. I gotta stick with Kentucky, but you guys can out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm happy we'll go Kentucky. Looks like looks like the upset rounds. I think we can go all the way with all upsets. This round looks like Kansas State has a lot of young players, first year transfers looking at this year, so we want to take some vets. Although we got young and up and coming coach Jerome Tang leading Kansas State. I like. I like the upset here of Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Kansas State has a decent record against top teams.
Speaker 4: Like a good match.
Speaker 2: This does a good matchup. Hope we get it. I hope to see it on the weekend.
Speaker 4: This one, oh big time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wildcat versus Wildcat will be going into our focus each other.
Speaker 2: Kentucky through and then it sounded like you're high on Marquette tasks. This is you're not even thinking twice. This is gonna be a fifteen point victory.
Speaker 3: Abs. Yeah, it was a preseason pick to go all the way they have. They're following through, They're following Eagles.
Speaker 2: Let's go Kette Golden Eagles. Right, Okay, okay, Wow, this is a nice final four here in this bracket, Memphis Duke and Kentucky Marquette.
Speaker 4: Bring your blue or some big names here.
Speaker 5: Memphis versus Duke, the eight seed versus the five seed Memphis, Penny Hardaway, Duke, John shire.
Speaker 2: Man, where do you want to go?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: What Duke's got, Duke's peaking, they got a big guy, they got a new coach.
Speaker 4: Win one for coaches or win win for coach Penny.
Speaker 2: I like, wow, uh see, I'm tired of at this point. Now, I'm tired of Duke. So let's go Memphis. It was two weekends too much Duke life.
Speaker 4: Can't have too much to Doug.
Speaker 2: Will shut to Doug, I hope you got the beard still, Doug, you look great with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll bet you have beard. They lose this. No, that's not a real bet. Not a real bet, Doug. All right, Kentucky Wildcats Marquette Golden Eagles. That's what they are. I think.
Speaker 2: I think sounds nice.
Speaker 4: Oh, classic match up here.
Speaker 2: Uhasas had Marquette circles since the preseason.
Speaker 4: He had eyes on them, like, this is great. I don't want to go against it.
Speaker 3: Let's go Marqutte.
Speaker 4: Let's go Marqutte coming out of this.
Speaker 3: Is going to be a really good basketball game. Yeah. If we take Marquette to beat Memphis here, this will be three upsets in this bracket as well, I do believe.
Speaker 2: So, okay, I like it alright, Marquette through to the Final four.
Speaker 5: Marquette is our second final four team versus joining the Alabama Crins inside.
Speaker 4: All right, so we got a one and two, one and two. It's good to not have a one in one right there.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't want to spoil any sorrybody, Oh jeez, I don't want to spoil anything. And we have two more regions to fill.
Speaker 3: Out.
Speaker 2: We'll do it on Wednesday and Thursday's show. But are we gonna get Are we gonna get crazy in one of the regions? Are we gonna have a you know, a plus six seed going to the Final four? You know, maybe even a plus ten one of these one of these twelve or thirteen seeds, just making a Cinderella run. Does the Slipper fit.
Speaker 5: It really makes you think, when will the clock strike midnight for these teams? I can see us get a little spicy here in the Midwest region, skeets. I see Houston as the number one seed, and Houston to me not a traditional powerhouse in NCAA circles.
Speaker 2: No, they're not. But I did say when we were setting all this up, I think they're like Vegas favorites maybe, and you know it's in Houston. They want to play in front of their own crowd. I don't know. You're right. It's a lot of pressure on team, A lot of pressure. Okay, so what are we doing Midwest tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Midwest tomorrow. I will also be talking about kennesa state.
Speaker 2: That that's our pick, that's our Cinderella.
Speaker 4: Fourteen seed going to the final four. Yep, I love it.
Speaker 2: There we go. Okay, kennessas State, tune in tomorrow. We're picking them a lot.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool. It's nice to have a local team. Yeah yeah, why not?
Speaker 4: Hey, maybe Georgia Tech going forward with Damon Stoudamyer.
Speaker 2: See you down at the pavilion. Okay, let's take our final break. We got two more days of this, but it's getting better. I'll tell you that. It was more fun than yesterday. But a lot of ship was going wrong yesterday. Mugs were being broken, phones were going off. It was wild. We'll take our final break and when we come back picking results and a very very funny tweeted the night don't anywhere breaking news here from the football world, Aaron from the Athletic Excuse me, Aaron? Huh did I air?
Speaker 3: Did I air? And what I said about Aaron? The biggest story Roger Roger come in Roger.
Speaker 2: Football, football, the beautiful game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Aaron, No, that's that's my game anyway. Yeah, football, Okay, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Well, no, it does.
Speaker 3: It was coming in America, MESSI coming in America.
Speaker 2: No, the twenty twenty six World Cup is going to have one hundred and four games in total. You believe that they're expanding. Yeah, from thirty two to forty eight participating teams.
Speaker 3: Not enough games.
Speaker 2: And originally it was going to be sixteen groups of three teams with the top two advancing. But they're gonna do groups of four. They're going to continue with that, but just so many one hundred and four games.
Speaker 3: So the first round thirty nine days, the first round just becomes even more of a who cares?
Speaker 2: Wow, old tax, come on, Oh, give me a break.
Speaker 3: The last the.
Speaker 2: Last games in a lot of the group stages or the first round stages were really entertaining in terms of, like you got a gold differential win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's reduce that by increasing the amount of teams. Let's be honest. Here it happens. It happens in the in major tournaments where you have too many teams.
Speaker 2: Too many teams, forty eight participating teams. But this one's here. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, States, Canada, they're all sharing. Twenty twenty six. That's from the Athletic.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty six. Well, what's going on with Aaron Rodgers? Jess he's still in deprivation, a deprivation.
Speaker 2: It was four days.
Speaker 5: No, he's out, Yeah, try wingo said he's going to the Jets, but nothing has happened yet, and people are like, come on, man, you.
Speaker 4: Said this wasn't gonna take forever. You weren't gonna draw it out. But the guy likes being the center of attention. Too bad, it's over for him and he's completely washed. It's done.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Packers, fans put your time is over, thirty years on top, no longer.
Speaker 2: From I love it. Aaron Rodgers put him in the World Cup.
Speaker 3: We had such a successful World Cup despite everything else going on before the tournament. Why do you have to increase the amount of teams just that half four people. We're seeing it in other tournaments too, yeah, all of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, too many twenty teams in the NBA tournament now in the sixty four team tournament.
Speaker 2: Frenzy double, more games, you know, more teams, more interests.
Speaker 3: I can see why a team, the top two teams in a division wouldn't want these three team divisions because there's higher chance that they don't advance some some random event happening. But the four teams, that's okay, and the same teams are gonna advance. Let's just have another team slotted in the four slot. That's what's gonna happen. You know it, and I know.
Speaker 2: It, but I brought this up. I didn't know you had such strong sucker.
Speaker 3: Well, it's happening in the FEBA World Cup too. There's there's too many teams.
Speaker 2: Too many dicks on the dance floor, and too many teams in the tourney.
Speaker 3: That's what Fred van Vlietz said.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he calls the basketball floor a dance floor, and he said there's too many referees that are.
Speaker 2: Dicks picking results. Last night was the Sun's Warriors game Golden State. They were favorited by four and a half points. I picked them and they covered. Good job, Golden State. I needed it. I'm four and five. You guys had the Suns as the dogs and that's an l tast three and six tray six and three. Tonight's game task. We do not have a graphic four, so paint the picture please.
Speaker 3: Well, we have an eight game night in the Association. Speaking of that prior topic, Dix Raptors are facing the Nuggets again when they got Scott Foster. Hopefully Fred VanVleet takes care of that. That's not our game though. We're going the old nine to ten matchup. Oh, increasing the number of teams in the tournament. Baby Hell. Pells hosting the Lakers. It's an important one. They have the exact same record going in. Pels are favored by one and a half at home. It's essentially, yeah, pick them, exket you and I think the Pells will take care of business and win at home by two or more. You get the Lake show there trade.
Speaker 5: I mean, the Lakers are better, They're playing incredibly well and they're getting points.
Speaker 4: I was kind of surprised that the Lakers were available for a picture.
Speaker 2: That's what caught me. That made me think, what's going on here? That's exactly what I thought too. How are they the favorites here? We'll see it's basically a pick them. So whoever wins the game, that is big in terms of the plan for sure. All right, let's get to your tweeted.
Speaker 3: Tonight tweet O the Night Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got pictures for this one, So if you're listening on the podcast, this is a must tune into YouTube because you're gonna want to see the set photos that were released from FX's The Sterling Affair. The first tweet comes from Ian Carmel at Ian Carmel on Twitter, who says this doesn't look like a show about the Donald Sterling saga.
Speaker 4: This looks like a porn parody of The Clippers.
Speaker 2: It is the perfect tweet because that is exactly what this photo looks like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is just because everybody looks close enough to the person they're supposed to be playing while also looking very far away from the person they're supposed to be playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it looks like Bootlet. Yeah, yeah, right to get it.
Speaker 5: They're like close enough if you squint your eyes and cross them a little bit, maybe it passes. I did see people say that whoever did Laurence Fishburn's hair should definitely get the Emmy for this because it looks exactly like Doc Rivers's hair going forward. But it's crazy man. Our friend Trayvon Edwards also had a tweet showing the people who have been cast with their Clippers counterpart Laurence Fishburn. Doc Rivers is a big name, as is Ed O'Neill. Will be playing Donald Sterling.
Speaker 4: They got some names.
Speaker 5: Woman from Yellowstone, yes, man from Billions is how I know that?
Speaker 4: But they got everybody in this show.
Speaker 5: There's a big baby in this there's a Jared Dudley in this ty Lou will be there, Draymond Green will be there, Chris Paul's wife Vistaviano, of course, Matt Barnes. There's an Elgin Baylor. There's basically everybody that was any kind of association to the Clippers during the end of the Donald Sterling era. They will be making an appearance on this show at some point.
Speaker 2: Is this gonna be good or no, so bad? It's gonna be good.
Speaker 4: I think it's that. I think it's gonna be so bad. It's good because it's.
Speaker 5: An FX joint, just like they did the OJ thing where Ross Geller played Robert Shapiro into the.
Speaker 2: Camp or something like. It's a campy, entertaining and and sort of funny, and I think you're right. I think it's gonna be The.
Speaker 3: OJ thing was good on FX in a campy way.
Speaker 4: Like it was good, I.
Speaker 3: Mean in comparison, just because it was different than the the other eight part series wherever that was Brock. It was different. I guess, yeah. It was nice.
Speaker 4: Good counterpoint that was ESPN the doc right, Yeah, that was real.
Speaker 6: That was good that I could not I didn't even make it through the first episode of the Yeah, couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: So you don't like that type of stuff.
Speaker 6: I mean usually I don't know the dramatization stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't love it.
Speaker 6: I tried the Monica Lewinsky one too, couldn't get Oh yeah, I couldn't get through that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, the Stirling of fairis when's the start? Any might know what's the premiere? It's like soon or is this like a long way away? I can't wait to hear Laurence Fishburn do it.
Speaker 3: Doc rivers.
Speaker 2: About that it's taxing on him. Probably probably a lot of tea on reds at the throat.
Speaker 4: I can't I can't tell when the debut as Yeah, well, but.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 5: I've haven't been super interested in the dramatizations of these controversies, but the subject matter is perfect.
Speaker 4: No, gotta check it out totally.
Speaker 6: I mean, I was so disappointed by the what the Lakers won, not showtime, winning time whatever?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could not. I could not get into it either.
Speaker 5: Some people loved it though, people said it got good, and people said the basketball scenes and it are good.
Speaker 4: But I'm with you. I watched the first two episodes that having it just wouldn't finish.
Speaker 3: SnO.
Speaker 2: I did watch the the Hulu documentary.
Speaker 4: Though about the bus Fan, which is great.
Speaker 3: I really liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you go back to the porn parody picked for a second, because I think we glossed over it a little bit. The Blake Griffin in the back is, uh.
Speaker 6: Just get Blake, I can he can kind of act?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just get playing.
Speaker 2: That's the one killing me, especially when we then saw what the guy that played Blake Griffin actually looks like in the Trayvon tweet.
Speaker 5: But was a Jasmine Watkins that had the tweet that said the person playing uh, Blake looks like Drake playing?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, and it was and they had an accompanying photo and it was Yeah, that's all right, Sterling affairs. We can't wait. I'm sure we'll be talking about it here on No Dunks. Guys, get into the No Dunks March Madness bracket. That link is in the show notes in the description. So jump on in, make your picks, and I can all but guarantee you'll probably beat us, unless you are a huge fan of wildcats. Okay, that's it for us. We'll be back tomorrow morning, though, filling out the Midwest region talking about tonight's NBA games and news. Thanks for joining us live today. Leave your boys a five star rating and review. If you listen to the podcast and make sure you subscribe, We'll have a fun short or two coming out later today, So yeah, definitely subscribe till then, Clipper Bros.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna have time turn up? Love you guys, Mad Austin.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that wow, Okay, that's well, we gotta we.
Speaker 4: Gotta make that out.
Speaker 2: Everybody thought, Uh who do everybody think it was? Seth Jonah Hill? Jonah?
Speaker 6: Okay, Jonah Hill's too old now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like play so matd Austin playing them and maybe voice work by Jonah.
Speaker 6: Hill dubbed over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, I think you could have Clipper Bros. I think you can bring back Jonah Hill just as a joke. And David Schwimmer that's the other bro. Yeah, he's a brother of a brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are the guys bring back amazing.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll see you guys tomorrow. Brace today, people,