Speaker 1: I'm recording are you ready? Alien Earth? Warning? Today's episode it spoilers four Alien Earth one oh five. My name is Jasconcepcion and I'm Mersey Nike and welcome back to X ray VS. We dived video of raby Jo's movie is probably are bad you? Three episodes a week and loss.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, we are recapping episode five of Alien and boy oh how many times people get step in the ship with the alien that always dumb. Don't worry, guys, let's get into.
Speaker 1: It Alien Earth episode five in space No. One dot dot dot dot dot dot to flashback episode folks All episode Marrow is woken from cryo to learn that stuff's going left on the on the ship. There's a fire, he's told, and potentially some of the creatures are running around, and also the captain's dead, so that's bad. He gets up markets to the med bay and we see that two crew members have been hugged They are currently being hugged by the face huggers, and that one of them was severely burned by the acid blood. Fire is out now, but the ships just kind of generally is a mess. The eggs somehow hatched, the crates were opened. Marrow wants to know how He's like, okay, how this all happen? And the protocol for hugged crew is do not perform a procedure to try and remove the the creatures. Just put them in cry of sleep and we'll figure it out when we get to Earth. The other aliens, what's up with them? No one's sure, which is bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm also very interested in what this tells us about the Utawni mission, the kind of like wailing Utani overlook of the future, because it's very different to what we see an alien This is not a secret mission.
Speaker 1: I will also say that I am shocked, shocked, shocked that they get to this point with so few casualties that they went. They are potentially various alien worlds and like truly a ship of bozos anyway. So Mar's like, what's up with the aliens? Folks are like, well, you know what, I think they're secure, but I don't want to go down there. No one really wants to go down there, but they all eventually agree to a company Morrow down there. Morrow is like, I'm going to take control of this situation. The engineers want Morrow to launch the bodies into space. And Marrow's like, no again. They go into cryo sleep and now tell me more engineering department about the damage and apparently the fire damage and the navigation and the steering which is kind of like important for the ship. And so now they're just kind of hurtling out of control towards Earth. Down in the lab, it certainly appears as if all the creatures are secure. Later on, Marrow, who is paranoid, which is how he has to be and I guess his job, which is to make sure everything is secure in guardians, corporate sabotage, etc. Thinks about the cause of all this. To him, it looks like sabotage because like the fire happened in just the right place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the random like aliens just happened to make it out and nobody knows who opened.
Speaker 1: The boxes, and so yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's check.
Speaker 1: He speaks to the acting captain about this and is like, you need to call a shipwide emergency and she's like no, no, no, no, no, because that will cause a panic. Everybody will start freaking out. Let's why I freaked out?
Speaker 2: Alien?
Speaker 1: I know. Let's let's go to mother and punching it to mother and see what she says. And Morrow's like, no, how about this. I know that you've been having an affair, having a relationship with one of your crewmates who's currently being hugged by the face hugger sadly, and that's against company regulations. So how about I dropped the dime on you and destroy your career and then take control of this ship, which I absolutely can do. So I have been ordered by you Tani herself to make sure that this cargo gets to Earth safely. That is priority one. I don't care about you or the lives of any of these other crew members, so declare the fucking emergency or else.
Speaker 2: And she also, I just want to say big we were right for Joel, the super producer. Joel, yes, because she cool that this was going to be a You Tawny ship rather than a wayland ship. So yeah, and Morow we're going to find out why he cares so much about Utani things.
Speaker 1: So the weird guy who we thought was a synth but apparently is not Tang is being weird again to one of the crew members in a cryopod, and people are like, hey, leave that poor girl alone. He kind of refuses to do it. Marrow goes to what they call the zoo and lots of weird creatures in there, in various cages and vats. There is one cage door wide open, which was where the face huggers apparently came from. Acid hole in the floor goes down several levels, the whole bit, the whole alien bit. Marrow goes to his office. He watches the security tape he sees the face hugger attack, and then he begins to look at all the footage to try and find the saboteur, and he finds him. Oh appears certainly to be a hymn crouching, you know, suspiciously by some very sensitive materials in hardware. The acting captain cries over her boyfriend, who currently has the face hugger on his face, and she does a little fun funeral rite and pours some earth dirt on his cryo, which is like, who's going to clean that up? I appreciate the gesture, but, you know, and very touchingly is like, we're gonna be home soon, babe, you know. I guess thinking that maybe they'll get this thing off his face.
Speaker 2: I think that's what that being, at least scheming or performisted, maybe because they seem to have a protocol for what happens if you get face hugged, which makes me think that people have been face hugged before. And maybe the lie you tell their crew so they don't try and do the surgery is, Oh, just put them in the right the crew, the cryo tanks, and we'll get them back. We'll do the thing. But, as we're going to find out, also bad idea.
Speaker 1: I think you're right because it does certainly seem as if this is not their first encounter with these creatures, because Marrow knows the biological process that is happening, as we will find out later. Morrow meanwhile, is watching the acting current acting captain having her dalliance with the currently face hugged boyfriend. Acting captain goes to see mother. Mother is like, what's up with the cargo. Acting captain says, well, you know, they got out, but things are stable now, but we're not really sure about can like one hundred percent containment. I couldn't tell you that we're one hundred percent contained.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she also, well, she asked her something really important. She's like, can I destroy the cargo if more crew life is threatened, and Mother's like, no, fucking absolutely sorry, babe, you must be mistaken.
Speaker 1: And I'll just say this, there's no there's no Ripley's on this ship. There is no one of the there is no one of the kind of fortitude of a Ripley on this ship, sadly except for Morrow, who is a sidework anyway. Mother then stresses like, listen, aliens take priority. We don't care if you die, press enter if you acknowledge, and she and okay. Mar goes back to his cabin and listens to the Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter song loves.
Speaker 2: That for him, just this huge fan.
Speaker 1: Will meet again. And then he thinks of his daughter back on Earth, and we learned that shortly after the ship launched, he got a telex from Earth that his daughter died in a fire. And so that is kind of why Garrow is the way he is.
Speaker 2: Question was his daughter killed in a fire by Utani so that he would have nothing else to live for except for just like serving the company, or is it just a coincidence that then put him in this position to be so kind of cold and calculating when he needs to be.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, because as we do find out, you Tani the grandmother who is the Utani he knows like saved him from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like she's kind of like a yeah, some kind of maternal figure at.
Speaker 1: Least, so I think he would have been down for whatever Utani said without a murder plot. Yeah, so that's really sad. Time passes, there's another explosion. I thought it was by this time, I thought Tang is the guy, beautiful, incredible figure.
Speaker 3: I really don't think it was him.
Speaker 1: So now the whole crew is like, Okay, there is one hundred percent of saboteur. Then there's a breach in cryo. They get they get that alert and that means the chest bursters have burst. Did someone defrost theo? I wanted to freeze them. I think you can't freeze them.
Speaker 3: I think also this.
Speaker 2: Proves that for whatever reason, this is the first time or at least no reports have gone back about this, because otherwise surely you would use a more you know, chest burst, a proof gloss or something like. It seems like too easy for this thing to get through the glass.
Speaker 3: I'm like, is a cryopod?
Speaker 1: Like? How?
Speaker 2: But I guess it is an alien and it does have acid blood.
Speaker 1: So well, it would not be an Alien show if the scientists technicians were not incredibly stupid, because one of them, as they're musing, yeah, as they're musing about how this is possible, one of them says, well, we do know that they can survive the vacuum of space. Well, yeah, if they can survive the the sub zero almost total zero vacuum of space, then of course they can survive the cryot tube and running around talking about yeah, soh. And now basically the plot of Alien is unfolding like inside of this other story. Morrow then gives his order, aren't takes control out because clearly, like everyone agrees in a security situation, Morrow is now in control of the ship, and he tells the crew we're going to capture this thing. We're gonna go by teams. Everybody goes by twos, nobody goes alone anywhere, and uh, capture, capture, capture, capture, don't kill kill. Down in the lab, the experiments, the very shoddy experiments continue with the eye watching very closely everything.
Speaker 2: That very cool to see that I perspective kind of like a fly with multiple lenses. Very fun.
Speaker 1: And again I have to say, I think the triumph of this show is that it got me to empathize with the I'm pro alien, right, like, I like.
Speaker 2: Kill something, you know what could happen because of how scary this x anomorph is. But this show has actually done a really fantastic job of getting that very unexpected little bit of empathy where you are rooting for You're like, yeah, go for it, like they out of space and now they're.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, hey, blood imbibing bugs kill the people like you deserve it. So one of the bugs that apparently lives on the oxygen in the blood of its victims, figures out how to open the top of the vat and I thought this, now, this part was like super interesting. The eye tries to warn the lady by slapping on the glass, is like, hey.
Speaker 2: I thought that was pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does it have feelings for haa?
Speaker 3: Was she nice to it?
Speaker 1: I think it's just like hi, I mean, it's clearly like empathy or something, and just is like hey, look out, you know, like the thing and the woman does not pay any science officer does not pay any attention. The bug goes and ejaculates in her water, filling it with hundreds of tadpoles and then climbs through her sandwich to kind of try to hide grossly, but is immediately recaptured and the water insemination goes unnoticed. Meanwhile, the Eye, of course, is plotting its escape, and it manages to knock its enclosure down onto the ground, smashing glass, and it gets out. There is no alarm that, by the way, that goes off when this happens, which is which is again again, what are we doing in space?
Speaker 2: I think you need you need much better security going on in this ship.
Speaker 3: How about you, Tani and r Whalen.
Speaker 1: How about in space no one notices anything, and in space you're all supposed to be in cryer sleep, So don't worry about what's going on on the ship.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 1: We get the classic alien cafeteria scene. The whole crew is there, despite the fact that the captain has died, aliens have escaped, and that there's a saboteur on board, and two of the crew members are currently lying with parasites on their faces. Everybody's kind of in an okay, okay, jolly mood because the food's coming out.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you this, then, is this like in the few sure of alien enough, like is this just like a normal really bad day at the office, Like you you're like aware when you go into this, you're like, oh god, man, like it not that somebody could get Just give me the fucking face hugger at this point, man, because I know it's all going badly, Like I do.
Speaker 3: Feel like this section.
Speaker 2: They're all kind of like, oh well, and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, sure, So Tangs is smoking. He refused to stop smoking. We discover that the fuel is gone and they're flying on fumes again. Everybody's kind of very jocular and just like, you know, like that very alien before the chest burster kind of vibe. We watched the young engineer of the engineering department just gulp down the science officers water. Morrow addresses everyone and basically says, listen, the investigation is about to get fucking real now because someone in this room is a saboteur and so just be aware of that. And if anybody wants a full share, they will pass me information that leads to an arrest. And that's it, and let's take a quick break and come back. And we're back from from lunch break and smoke break.
Speaker 2: How'd you feel about it?
Speaker 1: I will say of this scene, N I will now.
Speaker 2: You know what I would just say it give it a group chat, the early group chat, small bit of rage bait.
Speaker 1: I just didn't like the a d R. I thought was maybe maybe in the podcast version it will be it will the sound mix will sound better. But it sounded so obviously adr and not the kind of naturally town like talking over each other kind of thing that it didn't I don't know, it didn't do it for me, this particularly scene. And also it felt weird that like maybe to your point, yeah, working for Whalen you Twani is so crazy, like like dangerous?
Speaker 2: Better than Hermit's job? Is this better than mining on Romulus?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Is it bad?
Speaker 2: Because you get good food, you get a little bit freedom. It's not constantly, but you get to be in cry or sleep? Is the hazard worth it? I wonder if that is what they're trying to tell us it because everyone is acting real chill about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I said Bob Town. I meant Bob Altman, Robert all like that kind of Robert Altman. That alien really nails in that scene and makes it feel like a workplace. Yeah, this one felt like Joelle the in the chat is saying it sticks out because they really nailed it an alien. They really did exactly anyway, h the doc and the acting captain, they they're part of uh you know. Marrow has said, everybody go off in pairs. They go off to try to figure out how to catch the alien. Marrow begins the interrogations. We learned that one of the crew is potentially a recovering addict and was off camera for ten minutes, but he seems very sincere in his refutations of him being the saboteur. Elsewhere down in engineering, we have stirrings. First of all, the stirrings of a class conscience, consciousness. As the older like Irish engineer is telling me, I think this is Laddin. This is how it always is. You think there won't be a hierarchy in space, and you get to yeah, get to space, and then there's a hierarchy out here. But what also stirring is the fucking tadpoles and they.
Speaker 2: They are also having a close consciousness discussion. They're like, yes, out here, like we could run better than this, we could run better than this.
Speaker 1: Well, young engineer vomits blood and collapses Meanwhile in the doctor in the lab. The doctor realizes, oh shit, the eye is running around. Now shit is really starting to unravel with an alacrity.
Speaker 2: Yes, now it starts to get like fully grotesque, like alien are.
Speaker 1: Very, very, very bad. So meanwhile, there's an emergency in the med bay because of this young engineer. The doctor leaves, leaves the science lab and seals it because we don't know where this fucking eye is. Morrow is questioning Tang. Tang is way too cool to not be involved. But I guess he's not involved. Somehow we find he's just he's like. Imagine this very weird guy.
Speaker 2: Imagine if you're like the office creep right, and all day every day you're just trying to creep and you're like so aware of it, and you're like, oh man, everyone's gonna notice me creep in on this day when the aliens break out of the med bay, breakout of the lab, you are so happy because you can smoke twenty five cigarettes, you can creep on the girl, and you are like low low low on the on the kind of tempole of bad things going on on the Imagine, Oh, it's.
Speaker 1: It's very tough. Let me just say male Asian actors have been losing on streaming. We hear the one is the office creep and on slow horses. He's like, literally the most annoying character ever put to my television screen. That being said, we move on, We move on. Tangman says, don't you see it? It's right in front of your face. You don't realize what's going on. This is when I'm oh, there's two eyes and one of them ownership and he's one of them. This is not the case. I was completely wrong about I like that. But he basically says. He basically tells Marrow like someone else is awake and knows how to get out of their maybe sets a timer or something and is secretly sneaking out of their their cryopod. The question is who. Marrow then goes back to his office to kind of crush film and try and figure out who it could be. He looks at all the deleted files on the ship and discovers that the chief engineer had been talking to a boy cavalier about purposely crashing the chip on Prodigy territories so that Prodigy could just swoop up the Aliens. Marrow heads off to confront him and I will say I was shockingly impressed by whaland Utani's privacy protocols that this conversation didn't immediately trigger some kind of alarm that you could erase that and actually someone would have to go in and look at it to figure out that, like obvious corporate espionage was occurring.
Speaker 2: I think the interesting thing about trying to do retro futuristic sci fi in a world where we are living in like a high tech security surveillance state is a lot of what you find yourself questioning are those things that when Alien was originally made in seventy nine were not the biggest concerns of like freedom and how you would have freedom. So it is really funny to think, like, wait, you could do that and it wouldn't just be flagged by the word sabotage like let alone anything else?
Speaker 1: And why do you, like, how do you how do you just know you could just call Cryo? Yeah, And how do you just cold call Research Islands and Prodigy Territory by the way, to talk to a guy that wasn't born when you left Earth? Like how do you even fucking know?
Speaker 2: A lot of questions You're raising some good questions that I feel like must be answered by the end of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta kind of figure out me like, probably boy Cavalier or somehow like contacted the ship, but like, Okay, how do I suspect because I don't.
Speaker 2: I think there's gonna have to be a connection between boy Cavalier and Whale and Utani that we haven't yet understood because he has too much knowledge of their tech. And also then Morrow finds it too easy to get.
Speaker 3: Into his tech.
Speaker 2: So I think maybe there's some kind of crossover there. There's something about the way the boy Genius bought like he bought secrets or he stole tech or something, or he was a you know, Whalen Utani.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because again, how would this guy know something he is? This company started, yeah, while they were in space like did not exist when they like.
Speaker 2: Did it as soon as they go out for the little like well, I guess they do establish that they have to get out like every six months or every year or whatever is to like eat food and like smoke a cigarette and then get back in.
Speaker 3: I guess, so maybe it's something like.
Speaker 2: Yeahh boy Genius was just paging people like, hey, guys want to do it?
Speaker 3: Corpri Esper.
Speaker 1: You don't know me at all, because I wasn't bored when you left. But my name is I just started this company called Proty of the Earth. We don't apparently Marblo's Akryo. He finds the chiefs pot empty, so it's one hundred percent that guy. But before he can continue that, there's another fucking alarm on the ship from med Bay. Margo's over there. He tells the acting captain who's watching through the glass, watching like a procedure wrapping through the glass, that it's the chief engineer, but she can't really focus because she's watching them deal with this young engineer who's like vomiting blood and they're scan him. He's got like he's getting eat up from the inside. He's got all these like gross cockroaches in him.
Speaker 2: They kind of like bugs and yeah, so scary.
Speaker 1: They open them up and it's like ticks they call them. He's filled with ticks. It's not ticks, come on, it's like a tick.
Speaker 2: That's a giant slog gets kind of similar to the slug that we saw in the Sandwich.
Speaker 3: Very gross, and I did really.
Speaker 2: Love this moment, which I felt like again was like a kind of new ish moment that you see where when they pull them off, they kind of release the spoils gas and the two other people die.
Speaker 3: Like sorry guys, but.
Speaker 1: We're skipping ahead. Uh. Meanwhile, this is happening elsewhere. The alien drops from the ceiling and kills Tang, who I thought was going to be more involved with the story, but is immediately.
Speaker 3: Take Yeah, I know, I was surprised by that.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, as I was like, are they really just gonna kill Tang or is this gonna come back? I feel like they can't just kill him, but sure, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Morrow meanwhile, is like stop doing surgery on this guy, like that's he's supposed to just cry o him, Like we're not supposed to be doing this, dude, But they continue that. They continue the surgery, which credits to the doctor whose hippocratic oath apparently still exists in this future, and that's when the bug releases the fart gas.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So Marrow is and they start reacting like they might die. Honestly, yeah, they're dying.
Speaker 2: A bleed in the bleed in.
Speaker 1: They're not going to make it. So Marrow hits like the freeze everything button that basically shoots, like I don't know, some kind of like liquid nitrogen type very cold substance into the room and freeze everything. Everything is dead now except the bugs, which are still kind of like running.
Speaker 2: As we said, they can exist in the deep vacuum of space. They can exist in a call dry.
Speaker 1: The cold is not working on it. News then comes that Tang is dead, folks. It's all going sideways, very very quickly. Morrow is like, okay, everybody to the bridge. We stay there. We figure out how to get the ship in orbit and not on a crash course so that we can triage this entire situation. We call down to Earth, get a cleaning team sent up here, and we secure this whole thing. Okay, I'm in control. Let's do this. Morrow is of course, still insisting on delivering the specimens safe safely. I'm sure that if you ask the surviving crew at this moment, they'd all be like fuck that they don't Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I would, just I'm I'm like, I don't they they didn't try and kill Morrow quickly enough for me. I'm like, you know, I get it. He's a main character. He has some plow armor and also he is a cyborg. But I definitely if I was them, I would very quickly have seen the fact that he is more can.
Speaker 1: I love the murder the murder side of Rosie coming out, but I one hundred percent agree, And you would be would would no one not be justified in being like, this guy doesn't care about me. Yeah, he's gonna lets you get killed by aliens exactly and kill him and survive.
Speaker 2: Also for a corporation like that may seem even madder that you're gonna kill come on. But also, you know what, Joel just pointed out a great point in here, and I have to say, I think this is actually in the credit to this episode, which is a kind of crazy episode where they really try and do a lot and they replace some of the biggest tropes from Alien, which is a your bandwidth will vary on that. But Joel just said, you know, oh, you know, we actually saw all of their corpses. We knew they already died by this point in the episode. I was actually so invested in all of them that I really was shocked when Tang died. I didn't see that coming, like and I did well, even though like I had seen it, I kind of. I was engrossed enough at this point that there was still a level of suspense an entree, even though we knew the outcome.
Speaker 1: It's a good point that I just thought he would be more involved in this episode's story than he was, because he had such a I want this baby. I wan't know why he cares, because the ominous energy coming off of him was it felt like there was more there, So I was very surprised to see him.
Speaker 2: We felt like the reason that he was invested in the other woman in the pod was probably because he was a synth and he was protecting the aliens. But then we saw obviously that Morrow is the cyborg. Morrow is the one who is charged with doing that. I still think there's more there. I will be I would be personally surprised if we don't see that followed up on even a little bit at some point throughout the rest of the season, because, like you said, it was a very ominous introduction and it felt like it was hinting at more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Morrow gets into a shootout with the chief engineer who suddenly appears. Meanwhile, the bugs are just running around everywhere. The Eye is out and running around a marrow impales the chief with his blade hand and then the captain acting captain runs into the fully adult alien. We get a chase. She runs into the old engineer, who now has the eye in him. Ah, so scary by the eye and this means very yet say what happens next, because I think you can't really unless you're gonna have like the big yoga oh no sunglasses, Like it's very it's very noticeable.
Speaker 2: And this guy had kind of a big head like me, like has a tiny head. If they put the eye in there, you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Know you're gonna see it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna see it.
Speaker 1: So Morrow comes crawling out of the vents. He's moving around through the vents, which I just love that he's doing that. The alien. The engineer kind of like shouts in this very strange way that I couldn't I couldn't decide if he was At first I thought, oh, he's calling the alien because the alien shows up. But then I'm like, was he warning them, trying to warn them that hey, the xenomorphous here?
Speaker 2: Because then is what I couldn't work out is like it definitely sounds similar to the sounds that we've kind of heard Wendy hearing. So it's definitely some kind of communication. But I did wonder if it's like, was the engine it because he was taken.
Speaker 3: Over by the eye.
Speaker 2: He could only communicate that way, so maybe that's why it sounded like that.
Speaker 3: But it did seem like he yells.
Speaker 2: Something strange, kind of sounding a bit like a rap to, like a.
Speaker 3: Kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And then the alien arrives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now because of what happens next, because they begin fighting, like he's like, Okay, let me, it's not my body. I don't give a shit. I'm gonna try to fight this alien. So they try fight, and so a good guy?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: What is the idolist?
Speaker 2: Like secretly a good guy?
Speaker 1: It's very let's discuss this. Let's pause on that, because I want to discuss it. I will say that all the the way the plot is pointing, is it. The story certainly wants you to empathize with the eye, and I'm definitely pro I at this point. And the engineer's body gets absolutely torn up in this fight because there's no way that a human is anywhere near as strong as an alien, and the eye pops out and survives, but then also tries to get in that the alien has no eyes really but it's but the alien was struggling with the eye was really like trying. It was like the fucking thing off me, which was also very interesting. And then from there it's basically what we've seen. Mara runs into the mother panic room, the acting captain's pounding on the door, He welds the door shut, gets into the survival pod and lives. And then we get flash forward to the present. Moorrow is meeting with new Utani somewhere where are the meeting by the way, where is this happening? I guess there's a ship on the on the top of this building that they're meeting at. So I guess they exfiltrated him from the Prodigy Island to Territory.
Speaker 2: Maybe or maybe before maybe he landed. Yeah, there's an embassy passing New Siam. I don't know, because he was in the cap He was in the capsule, and then it seemed like he woke up in New Siam, but that could also be a fake out.
Speaker 3: I guess he could have gone here first.
Speaker 2: And well, I.
Speaker 1: Think this is clearly this is clearly this is.
Speaker 2: Clearly happening in them be An arbitration yet, right, so this is I think this is clearly happening, like after the events of the previous episode, like in the in the present continuity, they managed to grab him off Prodigy territory.
Speaker 1: Bring him to Utani territory, and we learned that Utani's grandmother of the original Utani og Utani took him, took him off the streets. He was a boy with like a paralyzed armor, like a withered arm or something. Yeah, he had some kind of a cyborg yeah. And he promises, listen, not only am I getting all the cargo, I'm gonna kill boy Cavalier too. I'm gonna kill him.
Speaker 3: She's I'm gonna fucking kill that bitch, and you really.
Speaker 2: Will hold kill him.
Speaker 1: Hold on, My lawyers are handling. We're an arbitration right now. With the lawyers trying to figure out like the returning to thing. He's like no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: He said, unless the lawyers are soldiers.
Speaker 2: He was like, we're doing this my way.
Speaker 1: So and so, like, you know what, give him give him the unlimited Utani Platinum card.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 2: It's it's like in Batman and Robin when he's like.
Speaker 1: Put it on my bat visa or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, he's got like he's got the Utani Master cod the your Tani Venmo account.
Speaker 3: She said, put it on the cash, app him the.
Speaker 2: Money, do what he needs to do.
Speaker 1: Let's seek a quick break and then we'll discuss our thoughts about this episode. And we are bad.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the I I here's my concern because I am pro I, I am Jason is officially pro I, and this true God is a visually pro iky I me Joel am wondering if this now is gonna put us into conflict with Wendy, who is pro xenomorph, because are the Eye and the Xenomorph like natural enemies or will there be like a like a broader team up of Xenomorph and Eye and and Synthetic against the people. Because I'm I.
Speaker 2: Think that you're right to be pro I at this point. I think the Eye is doing its little best and it's seeing what it can see.
Speaker 3: With its eight lenses or whatever.
Speaker 2: I think that it is unclear where we're at at this point, because I did find it very interesting that we had that moment of the fire of the the engineer actually fighting and trying to like bite through the neck of the zenim off with the eye and this eye.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm intrigued, but I think that ultimately that will put the Eye on the side of Wendy, because I think we're supposed to be on the side of it.
Speaker 1: I do wonder because we're talking about too kind of clearly like apex creatures, like not just to not being the top alien. Joelle puts a very trenching observation in the chat that in episode one oh one, we had that moment where Wendy pre procedure, was looking at the scorpion in a tank and is having that conversation with Kersh, where Kersh is like should I kill it? Like what if he's just protecting his friend? So I think the eye, well, I don't know if the eye is protecting anyone, but again, it's fascinating know that the eye tried to warn the science officer that the bugs were out, So I think we're gonna be allied with the Eyes somehow.
Speaker 2: I think that you're right that. I also thought that was interesting because the science officer and then have kind of science pal who is the who with the two doing the sagery. They were the most kind of humane, like sensible people that we met, based on like the kind of conversations they were having, the thoughts they had about the ship.
Speaker 3: So I'm interested in that.
Speaker 2: I'm also intrigued as to whether or not, like is the eye gonna exist inside the sheep goat? Is it still alive? Like what are we thinking about that? Like is it gonna take over somebody else? Does the I go into Nibs and then Nibs becomes like an a oh or Wendy and becomes like an alien synth human hybrid or something. But I think I too and pro I I'm interested to see if there is a pro zenomorph kind of movement from Wendy or if the Xenomorph is essentially gonna be like a dog in Wendy's fight. Also, I will say lots of complaints going on in the world about not enough goo on the alien, and I have to say this episode definitely not gooey. I didn't think the alien was gooey enough, really, I mean, I thought it was very dry. When you say he's shiny but dry. I think it that the Xenomorph needs to.
Speaker 1: Be someone's sweet on that alien.
Speaker 2: Somebody spell on him. Little him up anyway. Okay, So Joelle has a great question. Ni, Yeah, yeah, do you think this is one of the interesting things about watching a movie, watching a show based on a movie that came out before other formative movies. So do you think this episode holds up as an alien story or does it feel more like a rip off of the kind of paranoia, body horror of like the Thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, you see the influences of certainly the thing in there.
Speaker 3: I will I think it's different.
Speaker 1: I think it's different that that. Until she brought it up in the chat, I really was not thinking about it. Yeah, I will say that obviously I love the alienness of this, But strangely counterintuitively, the parts that kind of work the least for me are the parts where they are putting their finger on the most obvious like alien reference. It's like the cafeteria cross top scene just didn't. It's like, how do you how do you improve on perfection? I believe, I truly believe that that is so good? I don't know. So it's that kind of thing that works the least for me, where whereas all the stuff that's inspired by inspired by the esthetic and the look and is just kind of like letting the story unfold in that setting works the best for me. I think so too.
Speaker 2: I think the stuff that is more unique and that they're introducing, even like the notion of the eye and stuff, is the stuff that works the best. I think it's different enough to me from the Thing, because I think a major part of the horror of the Thing is like not knowing who to trust based on like what is residing inside them. But this is all about kind of knowing what's residing inside the person and still not knowing what to trust, which I.
Speaker 3: Think is like a different conversation.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I was invested in all the characters, but I really like the new engineer.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a good role.
Speaker 2: I felt like they did a good job writing these characters, even though they were.
Speaker 3: Any next for a little while. But Jason, that kind.
Speaker 2: Of leads to the next question, which is you in a situation with the first episode where you were like, the time on the ship is unnecessary.
Speaker 3: We know, like who cares, We've.
Speaker 2: Seen alien, we know what's gonna happen, It's gonna crash. How do you feel post this episode?
Speaker 1: Do you feel I feel it, I feel it even probably that shit. And I would honestly be surprised if anybody, if anybody truly thinking about it, didn't kind of agree, Like, I love this show, point blank. This is a great episode. It's a great show. It's somebody was watched. It's really enjoyable. I would ask anyone to look inside themselves and tell me the truth. Were you not a little disappointed that two out of the final five minutes of this episode, of this crackling episode were exactly a scene you've seen before. You literally just they just replayed the scene. Why not just start there, crash the ship, and then we meet the crew later? Like we didn't. I just felt like we didn't need it.
Speaker 3: That's a good call.
Speaker 1: And I feel even stronger after watching this episode where we're gonna meet the crew, that we could have just jumped into the story of the kids, crash the ship, meet the kids, learn about them because we're going to meet the crew later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think that's a good I think you make a good call.
Speaker 3: I also think like just that, and.
Speaker 1: Joelle, do you disagree? Come in here now, hey said Joel, come in it right now.
Speaker 3: Dore you disagree?
Speaker 4: No, that was cracking off over here.
Speaker 1: I completely agree.
Speaker 4: But that's why I wanted your thoughts on it, because when I first watched it, I really felt strongly that I agree with you one hundred percent. When I first watched the pilot, I was like, Oh, I really like this scene.
Speaker 1: I liked that we got a little bit.
Speaker 4: I love a lot of these actors, and I thought it was a nice setup of this like very seemingly peaceful spaceship where you could kind of see the clacks and the crew and then it literally crashes to Earth and it's like.
Speaker 1: A really intrigue opening to me.
Speaker 4: But I agree with you now that it's like, especially the last few minutes being exactly the same and not really revealing anything new like that kind of hurts. And then I also think, you know, we got so much of them here, you wouldn't really miss them in the first episode.
Speaker 1: And I'm wondering if there was a more, like if.
Speaker 4: The scorpion scene just shouldn't have been the opening because it seems to be the crush for everything else. So yeah, and I totally agree.
Speaker 3: With you, Jason.
Speaker 2: Okay, also let me ask you Joelle join us for this final question. Then, Okay, we kind of talked a little bit about the lack of maybe some depth that we were feeling in the show. People have been talking about style versus substance. How do you two feel after this episode? Do you feel, Joelle, like it has.
Speaker 3: Brought more to it?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like it still needs a little bit more of that deep a depth? What are you feeling right right now?
Speaker 4: I'm still not feeling the deep well ocean of like legion contemplation that you would like. And you were like, I got to cond of play my life the point of humanity, like ethics, Like you're really swimming in like a deep thought barrel. You're still a little surfacey here. What I will say is this show gives you a lot of space to try to filling gaps yourself, which I do wonder if maybe, especially if you're adding onto a series in a prequel format where you'll have no control of what comes after, it's kind of nice to be like, there's some pretty broad things that you can speculate about as fans that cement a couple of things and make things a little bit clearer here and there. It adds to the lore. Yeah, I was watching the rock Stars earlier and they were talking about how at the top of Alien there are governments. Corporations are not rule where they're an actual government, and I was like, oh, I totally forgot that. So not only just something happened to Prodigy at the end of this thing, but like all of these companies used to have more power, like have more power now where we are in the show than they will in the future of the series. And I thought that that was really intriguing. That is interesting viewing a lot to like if you're a fan to munch On, But I think if you're just I don't know, like an intellectual watcher, it's not that deep.
Speaker 1: I do agree. Listen. I mean I mentioned that the boy Cavalier corporate espionage of the ship that's been in space for sixty years like doesn't make sense because he was like he's thirty or something like he was.
Speaker 2: Born Yeah, maybe he's like twenty three maybe and.
Speaker 1: Then launched his company, you know, like maybe fifteen years ago like so or or probably less. So how does he contact them? How do they know who he is? Like, there's that kind of stuff. Is to Joel's point, it like it's a shallower pool than it appears to me. But I will say that the style is this. When the style is cracking like this, that's you know what I'm saying, Like I don't get performances. Yes, and I will say that one thing this show did, and I'll say it again that I think is is I'm truly loving is I'm pro Alien. I've never been that's crazy and I'm crazy pro yep the I and I gotta say like I'm xanomorep curious.
Speaker 2: Animal questioning also also as well, well maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: Jason, maybe you speak.
Speaker 2: I think you're speaking of something quite interesting here too, with the style of a substance. Is like if the original Alien movie, which I do believe is like a perfect movie, if that is so brilliant, has so much to say about corporate kind of overreach and the way working class people are used in blue collar jobs and exploitation of bodies, then maybe Noah Hawley this time just gets to make something incredibly stylish and entertaining and doesn't have to be the one adding the juice, adding the depth, adding the psychological exploration.
Speaker 3: Because that is already there in the text.
Speaker 2: I have also been reading a lot of reddits the Alien hardcore fans are not loving how uncannon. This all is like there are other corporations that were involved that they haven't heard of.
Speaker 3: There were governments.
Speaker 2: But I believe, I trust that by the end of this week are going to have a much more in line because that's just the nature of what Disney and twentieth century like nowadays. Kind of cannon.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm very interested.
Speaker 2: I think it's another fun, kind of rioteous episode. And Carmen is a hardcore alien fan who knows the law.
Speaker 1: She loves it.
Speaker 3: Sucks with this show, she loves it.
Speaker 2: So, you know what, I'm excited what happens next because this is a pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Episode, kind of like a Halloween or a Late Friday the Thirteenth movie. I am simply like like salivating at the reckoning.
Speaker 5: I can't Yeah, every cavalier get killed, ready, we need to see him, wait for him on the rest of these fucking like uh animal experiment scientists like human vampires to absolutely get ran through.
Speaker 1: By some aliens.
Speaker 4: I can't wait and contemplate this. Everyone thinks that they stumbled upon the ship. He has not confided in anyone that we've seen that.
Speaker 2: That's a great like the guy I thought was like his closest like Hench.
Speaker 4: He was like, yo, we should probably give the back Yeah. Yeah, and then and then you know, the scientists obviously don't know. So is he acting completely solo? Is this completely just hid mission or again, are there additional members of the team. We don't know about.
Speaker 2: Additional interest from outside of Prodigy. That was great, Joel, thank you for joining us. I appreciate you coming in last minute. And you can't wait to talk pre round table pre roundtable roundtable, can't wait to talk about this more, Okay, and Joelle says she believed. I just want to say common says she believes that he is being puppeted.
Speaker 3: He is a puppet with Cavalier, the boy Cavalier is.
Speaker 2: A puppetulated by am which makes a lot of sense. But I'm I'm still interested. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know who's puppetting him.
Speaker 2: They definitely they did have a good moment last week which a lot of people caught onto, which.
Speaker 3: Was they miss quoted.
Speaker 2: They said it was like it it was an asthmav quote, but it.
Speaker 3: Was actually Arthur C. Clarke or the other way round.
Speaker 2: So they're kind of playing into the ideas that he's dumb and that he doesn't really know what he's talking about and he's kind of a show off.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it will be interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Only only three episodes left, guys, so very interesting to see as we head towards the inevitable horrible death of boy Cavalier fingers.
Speaker 1: Ah looking forward to it. On the next episode of X ray Vision, the ex Vision group Chat reconvenes to determine the episode two and three of Peacemaker season two live up to the highs of the first episode, what legacy the conjuring series leaves in its horrific wake, and whether or not to switch to is really an upgrade. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Bye bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kletman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our disc called moderate, though