Speaker 1: Hey, I love these stories, and I'm excited that we get to talk to Foster Griffin as free agency is just beginning. He has been starring out in Japan and he's back, not officially, but he will be back. Foster, you are a hot topic right now. Great to have you on the show. Thanks for joining us, and are you excited to be back in MLB suit one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: I had, you know, kind of a second shot, a second chance, if you will, at my career to go over to Japan, and I spent three years there, three great years, and had an unbelievable experience, an unbelievable time with the giants, and uh, I'll be forever grateful for that experience. But I'm definitely ready to, you know, see the things that I've done over there and changed to see how that matches up over here.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us more about your story. I always like when someone like you can intro up first and then we'll have tons of follow ups. But your story, both from a journey perspective and then also some of the changes that you've made. I always look at these interviews, these are big Foster, where we're talking now, and then all of a sudden we could be talking about you in October in a big playoff situation. We've seen many stories just like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm not your typical you know, journey through the minor leagues, I would say, kind of a slow slower than most.
Speaker 3: I guess it took a while to get to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: And then once I got to the big leagues, I tore my UCL my debut, so that was kind of heartbreaking, and then work my way back from that and got back to the big leagues. But then from there I was kind of just your typical four A player in a way, bouncing up and down a bunch as a reliever.
Speaker 3: But you know, someone's always watching.
Speaker 2: As we always hear. And during that year in twenty twenty two, as I was bouncing up and down, US had some Japan teams looking at me, and the Giants were watching over in Japan, and the big thing for me is they wanted me to come back and be a starter over there. So that really raised some eyebrows for me that that's something that I really wanted to do. And then was able to go and kind of re establish myself as a starter and really relearn how to be a starter, and I think that was massive for me and was able to really, you know, buy into everything there and have some success.
Speaker 4: Foster, I got a question for you.
Speaker 5: Maybe this were you invited the Big League camp in twenty fifteen with the Royals.
Speaker 3: No, I was not.
Speaker 4: Were you up there at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're testing my memory.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think so that would have That would have been my first spring training because I got draft in twenty fourteen at a high school. I don't think I would have. I don't think that would have happened for me, to be honest.
Speaker 5: Okay, when when I started looking you up and stuff, when I found out you were going to be on the show, I was like, man, I feel like you were over in that like section where they keep all the young guys in camp that year.
Speaker 4: But maybe you.
Speaker 3: Never saw me. I was on field six, you.
Speaker 5: Were away out there. You're the long the stones. Then I want to go to I want to go to your debut. I don't think we've asked anybody this. Maybe we have on the show. But you debuted in COVID. I always said, I always said, not talking about your injury or anything. Debuting in COVID was either the hardest or the easiest debut for people because you went from minor league games where there wasn't that many depending on where you played, to zero fancy. You're like, okay, a lot less pressure, but nobody got to come and experience it. So what was that experience like for you as we moved then on into your big league career.
Speaker 2: I would say just from I didn't have a whole lot of experience like you guys were talking about, like pitching in front of big crowds or big games or anything like that. So I think it was easier in a sense to where there's nobody there. You had expanded rosters, you know, for the while, so it was a little bit easier, I guess mentally, and not as like maybe hyped up. Although on the other end of that, it's a sixty game season, so there's like a real push, like, hey, there's a lot of these teams that could maybe make a run and sneak your way into the playoffs. So there was that pressure of going out there and treating every game of like, hey, we really got to win this game. But like I said, that was pretty short lived for me because I debuted and then my elbow wasn't cooperating and had to get surgery, so that kind of was short lived. But I have to answer your question. I would say it was probably a little bit easier in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 6: As someone that went to Japan. You were there for three years. Do you speak Japanese?
Speaker 4: Now? Are you? Are you multi lingual bilingual? Now?
Speaker 3: I know a little bit. I can.
Speaker 2: I can have little conversations. I understand a lot more than I can speak. It got to the point to where, you know, picture meetings and stuff like that, I could understand what was being said. Now if they asked me to then reiterate exactly what they said and speak it in Japanese, I don't know if I could do that. But I got to the point to where even my translator was noticing that I was kind of picking up on conversations and stuff.
Speaker 4: How hard is that? How hard is that?
Speaker 6: Because we see Shohe, and we see Yamamoto and Sazaki, and before that each your row and Matsui and all these guys come over. So you went over there, How hard is it for you? That you know, grew up in Florida, went to the first academy. We're going to get to that, don't worry. And then you would go to Japan to a place where you don't know the culture, you don't know the language, and oh, yeah, by the way, you have to play baseball and perform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part's very difficult. I think it's harder than a lot of people realize. And I think it might bring to light a little bit of how hard it is for some of these Japanese guys that come here and perform and perform. Well, it's definitely it's it's completely different. You know, you're going there, Yes, you have a translator, but once you get into the game, like your translator is not by your side on the mound, so you're kind of having to figure things out on the go and on and by yourself.
Speaker 3: But I kind of went into it with an open mind.
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, I'm going to try and immerse myself in the culture a little bit, learn how the baseball is different, and how can I adapt to that to make myself better.
Speaker 3: How can I, you know, converse with.
Speaker 2: My teammates in any way, because as you guys know, with you know, Latino guys here in the States as well, there's Baseball is kind of a universal language, and I think that transpires over there as well, so you kind of get to know how to speak the baseball lingo, I guess in a way, even in Japanese. So I was able to kind of really immerse myself into the culture that way, into the baseball culture specifically, and I just kind of wanted to learn as much as possible while I was there.
Speaker 5: All Right, you said to yourself, you kind of gotten to that four A player type of role. You went over there and you had success. What's the talent like over there? What would you what would you equate? People ask me this all the time. I only went for two weeks in like exhibition type games. What's the talent like over there? Where would you equate it? Is it a four A level?
Speaker 2: Such a hard question I get asked all the time. Simply, yes, I would say it's a four A. But it's also different. So their lineup construction, the way I would translated is more old school baseball. Okay, your first couple hitters are probably going to be most likely left handed and most likely speed center field, shortstop, second basement contact. Get the guy over, not going to strike out? A lot on Your three, four, five, six, depending on the team might fall to seven, are going to be your RBI, have some power, have some pop, and then your eight nine guys are going to be probably your defensive specialists. Also contact guys that aren't going to strike out, but also can play many positions, as they still have after next year they're not going to have it, but in one of the leagues they still have the pitchers hit, so they do some double switches, and guys that are more versatile when it comes to playing different positions. They have those kind of guys laid out there in the eight, seven, eight nine spots. So the lineup construction I would say is not to repeat myself, but more old school baseball, as I would say, And that's kind of where I would say, it's a little bit different, And that's kind of as a starter where I kind of learned to navigate through lineups a little bit and kind of have my cues.
Speaker 3: Of where I'm at in the lineup.
Speaker 2: Are they about to do a pinch hitter, are they about to do a double switch, and kind of have that little bit of extra knowledge.
Speaker 6: Foster, You've we've seen guys come over recently that go over to Japan and come back and they get nice contracts. What's your expectance, your expectations for free agency and what are you looking for? And would you like, let's say that you don't get a deal here, do you have the ability because I don't know how this works, do you have the ability to still go back to Japan and pitch again? Or once you say, hey, I want to be back to the MLB, then you lose that, right, I don't be cause I honestly I don't even know how it works.
Speaker 2: No, not necessarily, not necessarily. I think right now I'm a free agent, and that's a free that's an international free agent. So I have the ability, I think, to sign over here as well as entertaining any offers that would come from any Japan team as well.
Speaker 4: That's great. So what's better? Yeah? I was gonna say which one was better?
Speaker 2: I mean, I I you know, I think for me, it was never like I think for some guys they really want to go to Japan, play a year, come back and get their deal.
Speaker 3: Right For me.
Speaker 2: That I put that so far back in my mind because I really felt, like I said earlier, I got a second chance at baseball, and I was able to kind of make a mini career out of it, if you will, in Japan, and I changed so much and I feel like I grew so much as a picture that at this point in time, if the opportunity came about, I'd like to really test what I did and how the much those changes improved me, because I feel like they really did, and see how that plays out here at the big league level, because I really think I can do it. So yeah, that's kind of where I'm at at the moment. But like like I said before, I'm technically an international free agent. So if an opportunity weren't to come, which I hope it does, but you know, Japan would still be open.
Speaker 4: What did you change?
Speaker 5: What's the one singular thing that was the biggest change for you, besides the fact you probably came back with like nine pitches, so the catchers back that are hitting all the buttons boo boo boo boo boop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely added some pitches, and I would say that's probably the biggest thing for me.
Speaker 3: One thing.
Speaker 2: As I moved on the rubber, I moved all the way to the first base side, so a little bit of crossfire for lefties. And then I added a splitter, which everyone throws over there. I feel like if you go over there as a pitcher, that's probably one thing you're gonna see is all these guys getting swing and miss and so many ground balls on these splitters and fork balls, as you guys have seen probably in the playoffs. And then I added a sweeper, which I threw a sweeper when I got traded over to the Blue Jays, and I didn't really refine it. And then once I got there, I really kind of found a grip and found a que that really helped me, and I started getting a lot more swing and miss to lefties, both on the splitter because I didn't throw my change up to the lefties, so that added an extra wrinkle the left handers. And then so I was real and then as well as a sweeper, I was able to really command it, so I was able to throw it back door to rioty's which expanded the plate on the other side, and then you know, moving away from a lefty with a sweeper.
Speaker 6: All right, So you mentioned grips, and you mentioned this and that, but Japan has a tacky baseball. She'd a US find your way to have a tacky baseball, and can you replicate that grip in that movement with a US Baseball or Major League Baseball baseball, because it's just a different ball and with different seams and different grips on it.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: But I think you have seen enough guys from Japan come over here and still utilize it very well. So I don't think that, And for most all of the offseason accept my bullpens because I play catch with other guys that are here in the big leagues. I played catch with the Big League ball and then before I head to Japan for my bullpens only, I'll use the japan ball that they give us or the Japanese Japanese ball. But I don't think that would be an just because one I played here for so long and they implemented the big leg.
Speaker 3: Balls into triple A.
Speaker 2: I think that was twenty nineteen, so I pitched with those.
Speaker 4: For a while.
Speaker 2: But you know, to reiterate, I don't think that would be an issue. Do I think they should add it. I know there's a lot of talk about it. I feel like Major League Baseball could come up with a way to do it. Safely. Just it all comes pre packaged. It's the ball is in a package and then you tear it open and.
Speaker 3: It's ready to go.
Speaker 2: There's no rubbing, there's no mud, there's nothing they got to do to it. It's pretty universal, I would say, throughout the whole league.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not on the committee to give any more than that onto it.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, now now it's time to dig into the real crux of the problem, all right.
Speaker 4: So, I don't know if you can see this or not.
Speaker 2: So I got a funny story about you and TIAF to begin with.
Speaker 6: Okay, first of all, I never I've never seen you at TFA ever, I know, and I was there for years as a coach, and you never showed up one time. Nor have you ever donated any money. You're the Eric Kratz of the first Academy. He has never donated a set. I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Well, so, I don't know when what year did your kids start going to TFA twenty twelve.
Speaker 6: My kids have been there since they started in a pre K so they went all the way through.
Speaker 4: My kids went all the way through.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the story I have on that is I think it was twenty twelve, because I think I was a sophomore. Were you did you just leave the White Sox at the time, or where were you at in your career at that point?
Speaker 4: Twelve was my last year with the White Sox.
Speaker 3: Okay. And then this adds up.
Speaker 2: So we're just about to start our season and we're in the locker room and our coach comes in with about four boxes, boxes, and he just drops them in the in the locker room and they're all black and white custom aj Persinsky Nike cleats, boxes full of them. And what what size did you? What size fleets did you wear?
Speaker 4: Twelve?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I was eleven.
Speaker 2: I wear eleven still, and I played in a size way. I played in your cleats for twenty twelve, thirteen, twenty fourteen, the last three years of my high school career, and they were definitely too big. I definitely shouldn't have played in him, but I thought that was the coolest thing ever that you know, there was like three of us that were rocking your cleats for that time period that were probably all too big. But that was your generous donation, I guess to us. And I always remember that because I don't know if I still have a pair of my parents' house still in Orlando.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I remember that vividly, that that boxes of cleats being dropped off, and then I played in those for the rest of my high school career.
Speaker 4: Hopefully you and Hazley Adam Hazley also won because.
Speaker 3: Hazey was rocking them as well.
Speaker 6: Now I've seen Hazley around, so I mean, I don't know. Maybe Mike cleats is fitting better. I don't know, but I've seen Hazley come to games support the boys.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: But what I want to know is, you know, twenty twenty one, my son's in eighth grade state champs. Right, So just in case you're wondering, I got another one here from twenty twenty five where we won again.
Speaker 4: So sorry, sorry about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we always fell short.
Speaker 4: Yeah I can't. That's my question. You guys had two first rounders, two.
Speaker 2: On Bendeluzo and Bendaluzia.
Speaker 6: Yes, the three big leaguers on your team, and you guys couldn't win.
Speaker 4: Was it coaching? Was it pressure? Was it Will Cohen? What was it?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: There was a time I remember our best year talent wise. I think was my junior year because Ben was still there. Ben was a senior, and I remember I I could be totally wrong in this, but I remember we were in that weird scenario of like, Okay, we're winning this game. I started, we were winning this game, but he took me out after four because on pitch count, he could maybe save me for like the later round and like for the playoffs, if that makes sense. So he took me out and then I think I don't remember what team it was, but they ended up coming back and we ended up losing that game. So that kind of stuck with us a little bit of like we should have just you know, we got to win this game to move on. But then when we tried to kind of say pitching and play looking forward, we ended up losing that game and got knocked out. But our senior year, you know, not to we didn't win the state championship, but we did win the nhs I.
Speaker 6: That's a that's a lo that's a loose national championship.
Speaker 4: You were like, look at the champion.
Speaker 3: Look at the talent.
Speaker 2: Go look at the teams and the talent guys that got drafted out of that team.
Speaker 6: You did have two first rounders on the team and another guy to play in the Babies. But and Kyle Connell who's a scout for the Astros too, So you had we beat.
Speaker 3: Dylan one zero, but it's not a big deal. Else was in there.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of a lot of Mike, just a lot of good guys in there.
Speaker 6: I heard about I heard all about this team until twenty twenty one, and then we actually got it done.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, I think you have that.
Speaker 6: Twenty five, we got it done again. So I mean, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I think you guys dropped a couple of classifications if I if I'm going to really argue here.
Speaker 3: But we want real that A was it is it still three A Okay?
Speaker 2: The night team because okay, but there it is.
Speaker 4: The team.
Speaker 6: The team we beat in the state final was ranked two in the country, and I think tf A finished seven or eight in the country. So you can't say, oh, we walked our way. You know TFA walked their way through. You know they did the finals. They beat the team those ranked I think two or three in the country.
Speaker 3: So fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Don't get me started on the high school baseball rankly, don't get me started. But this was wonderful, especially the last few minutes. But in all seriousness, this was great. I hope you and you should come out there.
Speaker 4: Foster. A new locker.
Speaker 6: Room, there's a turf, there's a new locker room, there's indoor cages.
Speaker 4: I mean, you should. You should make an appearance. The kids would love to see you.
Speaker 2: Funny story, my dad was at a local YMCA. Real quick on how much time I have, But my dad was at a local y m C a not that long ago. And they I think theyre may may have been baseball players, but they're wearing the first Keademy shirts and there I think they did play baseball. My dad was like, oh, like, you know, are you guys playing baseball there? And he's like yeah. And my dad was like, well, my son played there actually and a while ago. And they were like, what's his name? And he told me my name, and the guy both of them were like, I have no idea who that is. So I don't know how much the kids were actually recognized or even know who I am.
Speaker 3: So but nonetheless, here we go.
Speaker 1: Not Foster, they will know, they exactly, yes, they will know. They will see your name pop up for a nice offseason deal and then they will see you in the bigs next year. This was great, man. Don't be a stranger. You got a great personality. Great to have you on here. Good luck in the free agency process, and how about this, We'll talk to you after that plays out.
Speaker 3: Deal sounds great. I appreciate you guys having me on.
Speaker 4: Thanks,