Speaker 1: This is quite a wall here.
Speaker 2: Oh, these are some great photos.
Speaker 3: That's Jimmy Carter enough me. Uh huh, yes, me and Lorena Lynn. How did this come about? She was given a concert in Burman Allen.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Carry me backstage to leader.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 5: Suit that you have on.
Speaker 2: Maybe you've never heard of Bill Baxley, but here in Alabama he's a big deal.
Speaker 3: That Johnny Cash.
Speaker 6: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Baxley is eighty two, slightly balding, with silver hair and eyebrows. In the pictures he's showing me on the wall of his office, I see him looking younger. His hair is dark, and he's standing with famous musicians and politicians.
Speaker 3: That's my daddy swearing me in for my first term.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Baxley was elected as Alabama's Attorney General when he was just twenty eight years old. He later served as lieutenant governor, and he's still practicing law today. During his career, Baxley prosecuted hundreds of cases and sent three people to Alabama's death row.
Speaker 3: There are some crimes that are so wrong and so horrible that they only deserve one punishment.
Speaker 2: He's a lifelong defender of the death penalty, a true believer, like when the US Supreme Court outlawed the death penalty in the nineteen seventies, Baxley worked hard to bring executions back to Alabama. He's that kind of true believer. So it's not surprising that Baxley was skeptical when his son, who's also an attorney, asked his dad to look over a case because he believed an innocent man was on death row.
Speaker 3: Over the course of my long career, I've had dozens and dozens answances were these I'll call them do gooders, but they're good people. They take up there's causes of people that have been sentenced to death, and they get interested in trying to help them, and they all think they're always innocent.
Speaker 2: Baxley didn't even glance at the case file until weeks later. On an icy winter morning, it was too slippery to walk down the driveway and grab the newspaper, so he picked up the file that his son sent him and began reading about a black man named to Forrest Johnson, who was sentenced to death for killing a shriff's deputy.
Speaker 3: I mean, mid morning, I couldn't believe what I was reading. I wouldn't have believed that something like this could have happened.
Speaker 2: What was so unbelievable about it?
Speaker 3: Everything? Everything. I don't know how the guy got indicted, how they got I didn't see how the jury convicted him. I would have never believed that that could have happened in Alabama, no question mine. This guy was not guilty of this crime, and I couldn't comprehend how this could happen.
Speaker 2: There's only one other case where Basley thought the defendants were innocent, and that case is almost one hundred years old. So what is it about this case to Forrest's case that convinced Backsley that Alabama is trying to execute an innocent man's.
Speaker 3: It's a unique absurdity that I've never seen before. It's too late to give him back all those years he's been on death road, but it's not too late to correct it today and get him out for the future. It's wrong that it's gone this long. It's still not too late to correct.
Speaker 2: My name is Beth Shelburne. Like Bill Baxley, I was born and raised in all Obama. I grew up about a mile away from where the crime at the center of this story took place. I'm a journalist and writer, and for the last three years I've been investigating the case that rocked Bill Baxley's world. The story begins on a hot July night in nineteen ninety five. It unfolds in two places at once, the Crown Sterling Sweet's Hotel and a nightclub that's almost four miles away called Tea's Place. By the end of the night, one man will be shot dead and two others will encounter someone who will put them at the center of the murder investigation to Forrest Johnson is still on death row and he's running out of time. I'm Beth Shelburne. This is ear witness, Chapter one, Behind the Out.
Speaker 8: Yes, ma'am, this is very calling from Crowns Drilling Sweet's Hotel in Birmingham, Alabama. I'm calling because I've had several guests report what appears on the windows to have been two gunshots and people running in the parking lot.
Speaker 2: It's twelve fifty five am on July nineteenth, nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 9: It's twenty three great fight.
Speaker 8: That is correct. I have security on the premises, which is just to the county police, but I'm calling you because i want to make sure that the Birmingham pleats arrived. Please all right, we'll get the one out, thank you very much.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 2: The Crown Sterling Suites Hotel was a nine story building in Birmingham. Today the hotel is an embassy suites. Inside the main entrance of the hotel, there's a pale tiled walkway that leads through the lobby. The front desk is to the left, but keep walking past it and you enter a huge atrium, an open space surrounded by windows, with an indoor garden of leafy green plants and trees. The tiled walkway leads to a coy pond with a fountain at the center. It's lush and humid inside, but despite all the windows, the field is dim and moody. Keep walking past the coy pond and there's a short hall that leads to the hotel's back parking lot. It was here outside the double doors of the Crown Sterling Sweet's Hotel where a deputy sheriff was killed. No one saw the murder, but a few people heard gunshots.
Speaker 7: I remember hearing popping noises from the distance.
Speaker 2: Barry Rushikov was working at the front desk when he made that nine to one one call.
Speaker 7: When I heard it, I believe that's when I tried to call Officer Hardy on the radio with no response.
Speaker 2: Officer William Hardy, who went by Bill, had been a deputy with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office for twenty three years. He was also a security guard at the hotel, where he worked the night shift to make extra money. Hardy was five foot ten, had a thin mustache, and wore his hair in a Jerry curl. He was known to be easy going and friendly. When Deputy Hardy wasn't making hotel security rounds, Barry usually saw him wearing his brown and tan deputy uniform, sitting at one of the tables in the hotel's atrium, smoking more brand menthol cigarettes and drinking coffee.
Speaker 7: You know, when I worked there, and when I was working nights, it was me, you know, Officer Hardy or whatever officer on duty, and or we would sometime have a houseman who is cleaning floors or something, but very minimal group and I never felt unsafe.
Speaker 2: Barry wasn't the only person to hear the popping noises. A few guests at the hotel also heard gunshots, including Marshall Kelly Cummings a guest in a fourth floor room directly above the hotel's back exit.
Speaker 5: I can remember like it was yesterday, ma as far as the details.
Speaker 2: As I worked on this project, I started referring to Cummings as the Keebler cookie guy, because in nineteen ninety five he worked for Keebler as a truck driver Midfield.
Speaker 5: When I was with Keebler driving one of their step vans delivering cookies and crackers and stuff, and we had.
Speaker 2: A Cummings was staying at the Crown Sterling for a company training. After the workday was over, he drank a few beers at the hotel bar with some coworkers, and then he and the other Keepler employee he was rooming with turned in between ten and eleven PM. But Cummings was not asleep for long, but he.
Speaker 11: Just I woke up and it was I kept hearing somebody talk kind of talk.
Speaker 2: So you heard some voices and it sounded like they were arguing or not.
Speaker 11: Really bad, but they were.
Speaker 2: Having a conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was male voices.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well they quit arguing and then I didn't hear anything. So I laid back down and it probably wasn't twenty seconds, thirty seconds, forty five. I'm got I didn't count boom, small caliber gun. They won a big caliber and I'll sudden the few sects or a boom about the second time, I say, up a minute, that was a gun.
Speaker 2: He remembers, turning to the coworker he was sharing a room with.
Speaker 11: I said, you hear that? He says, yeah.
Speaker 5: So I stood up and opened the blind to get my eyes fixed because it was dark.
Speaker 11: Then they had the lights in the last week.
Speaker 2: Directly beneath his window, Cummings sees a four door car. It's dark copper or light brown with a vinyl top, parked facing the hotel's back double doors. He sees a tall person get into the driver's side of the car, close the door, and slowly pull away with the headlights off.
Speaker 11: And so I called down to the front desk. I said, hey, there's been shots fired. I heard. Did you hear that?
Speaker 7: I believe I got a phone call from someone in the room saying they heard gunshots.
Speaker 2: So Barry makes that initial nine one one call, hangs up and decides to investigate it.
Speaker 7: Jumped over the counter to walk back, and I was walked back. I saw Offsta Hardy's radio.
Speaker 2: Barry sees Deputy Hardy's radio on a table in the hotel's atrium, and right next to it his cigarette still burning in an ash tray. Meanwhile, back on the fourth floor, Marshall Kelly Cummings hangs up the phone with Barry and goes back to the window.
Speaker 11: And I kept looking, and I kept looking.
Speaker 5: Finally my eyes got to where I could see, and I looked down and I could see him laying on the ground.
Speaker 11: I went, oh, no, this ain't good.
Speaker 2: Cummings spots a body on the ground and realizes someone has been badly hurt. It's right around this time Barry makes the same terrible discovery.
Speaker 7: Here's a hallway that went to the door that went back out to the back parking lot. Turn in the corner to go down that hallway, and I looked out the door in the distance, I saw Offsta Hardy on the ground. That's when I ran back to the front desk, made an emergency phone call to the police.
Speaker 8: Just, ma'am, the spiritual cross to exist, and I have a pit what appears to be a Jupanan County police officer shot in the back of our building. She ends up moving people.
Speaker 10: In a car drove away and you see he's lying on the on the pavement.
Speaker 8: I'm a little afraid to go up.
Speaker 10: Yes, he is a Birmingham Police Office.
Speaker 8: Jefferson County. He is a hired nine time security for us.
Speaker 4: Right, do you know if you can sign.
Speaker 6: Out anything like if you breathe?
Speaker 8: I and how much blood? I'm trying, man, my, my, my promise. I don't know if the people are still out there.
Speaker 10: Okay, we we should be there showing that you find very much.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go and talk about okay, but you.
Speaker 7: Go.
Speaker 10: Jesson's Catty debut has been shot on the back entrance of the Hotel Crown show sweep.
Speaker 5: It is one of us, and we are they have got one down who has been shot.
Speaker 10: And they said it looks great and it looks too bad. Three three two. Do we have any information? Do we have anything on a suspect to go anywhere?
Speaker 2: After he makes the second nine to one one call, Barry walks down the hallway to the back parking lot and then I went.
Speaker 7: Back out the office. Already he was not a good condition. He did have a wound to his face. He was making a gurgling, gasping noise. You know, he was not conscious. I believe I took my jacket off, my uniform jacket off, to try to cover him, or put under his head, or try to comfort him. But fortunately officers arrived so quickly and I was removed from that area immediately.
Speaker 2: More than a dozen officers from four different agencies arrive at the hotel. One of them is Detective Tony Richardson, who says he'd known Deputy Hardy since he first started working for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 9: Being black and bo being black, naturally I noticed him. I was told more than once to get a haircut. That you know, to be a deputy Shaff, you got to have your haircut. So the reason I mentioned that is because from the first day that I ever saw him, his hair was out.
Speaker 1: To hear big afro, big afro.
Speaker 11: And he would put on his hat. He wore that hat religiously.
Speaker 9: Everybody else's the Shaff's office hated those hats. They didn't want to wear him, you know, but he always.
Speaker 11: Wore his hat.
Speaker 2: Deputy Hardy often wore his traditional broad brimmed tan smoky the bear style sheriff's hat. It was later entered as evidence from the crime scene with a bullet hole through the brim.
Speaker 9: And he would have it on his head and all that hair would be on the side would be out here, And I'm like, who is this guy? How can he.
Speaker 11: Get away with that? And not only that, he is in the sheriff's office. How can he get away with that?
Speaker 9: So I was in tree by him, fascinated by him, but I was scared of him. I was scared to meet him because I thought, of my mind, this guy's got to be crazy, you know, to do that and get away with it, He's got to be great.
Speaker 11: I would scatter of him.
Speaker 9: But anyway, when I first met him, I met him and talked to him. He started to feel better about well.
Speaker 11: I started to feel better about him.
Speaker 9: We were never just busom buddies real close, but we were close and we knew each other.
Speaker 2: Tony Richardson and Bill Hardy had been colleagues at the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office for seventeen years. Richardson remembers the last time he saw Hardy alive.
Speaker 9: The last day I saw Bill, my brother and I my brother would put a sheriff's office offso and we were standing there smoking and Bill drove out the alley and he was pulling up twenty second and he stopped in the road and he started to talk to us and he said, hey, guys, hang out doing loan with some money. It's just you know, stuff like that. And we laughed and talked for a minute. And that was the last time I saw him. And the next time I heard Bill's name was about two o'clock in the morning when I got the call saying and he had been shot. At that time, I was what was considered a crimes against Persons detective, which meant that I worked homicides. The lieutenant felt like because it involved a deputy sheriff, and you know that we needed all the help that we could get.
Speaker 11: So I got called out.
Speaker 2: Did you go to the actual scene?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What did you encounter when you got there?
Speaker 11: Well, by the.
Speaker 9: Time I got there, Bill's body was gone.
Speaker 2: Paramedics had already lifted Bill Hardy into an ambulance and rushed him to the emergency room of Birmingham's largest hospital. He is gravely injured with two gunshot wounds to his head. And jaw. A medical examiner notes a bullet wound to Hardy's finger likely means he raised his hand in a defensive posture when he was shot. Police go to his house to tell his wife, Patricia Diane Hardy, and bring her to the hospital. Jim Woodward, the chief deputy in Jefferson County, also rushes over when he hears that Hardy was shot. What do you remember about the incident?
Speaker 6: I got to call that Hardy had been shot, and they told me said looked very serious. So I got in my car and went down to the hospital. I stood there while they were operating on me, and then I just heard one say that's it. It's over.
Speaker 3: We can't do it anymore.
Speaker 6: It's over. We can't save him.
Speaker 7: He's gone.
Speaker 2: What does that feel like when you are a career law enforcement officer?
Speaker 6: And well, it's kind of devastating to you. You know, you get to know these guys, and I knew Hardy. That's a very devastating thing that happened to you.
Speaker 2: Deputy Bill Hardy is pronounced dead seven hours after he was shot. The cause of death is two gunshot wounds fired at close range. I wanted to know more about Deputy Hardy. So I wrote to several family members inviting them to talk. They never responded, and I can only imagine his murder must be one of the hardest things they've ever experienced. But I have learned a few things about Deputy Hardy. He was married to Patricia Diane Hardy. He had two children and four adult step children. Hardy started working as a deputy in nineteen seventy two. His duties included delivering subpoenas and directing traffic outside the courthouse.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 11: It was rough. It was rough. It's rough right now, it's a rough right This many working homicide.
Speaker 9: I worked at bunch, but none of them affected me like the killing of a deputy Share. You know, you have a bond with the guys you work with in that uniform. Whether you know them or not, you have a bond. So when I was a deputy Share working another deputy Shaff's murder, do you think that was emotional? Yes, it was very and had it been my decision the day we caught the people that did it, let's put them on death throat.
Speaker 2: Lead Detective Tony Richardson and his team of investigators have no eyewitnesses to the shooting and there's no known motive. A fellow officer has just been shot, and they have almost no evidence to go on. At the exact time that Deputy Bill Hardy was shot, to Forrest Johnson and his friend Ardregis Ford were four miles away from the crime scene at a downtown Birmingham nightclub called Tea's Place, but they would soon become the focus of Tony Richardson's investigation. Just a few hours before Deputy hart Is shot, ardregas Ford gets into the passenger side of his nineteen seventy one black Monte Carlo. It's an old car and the driver's side door doesn't open, so he slides over into the driver's seat, starts the ignition, and heads out to pick up his friend to Forrest Johnson to go to a club called Teas Place. I wasn't able to interview to Forest or Ardregas for this podcast. The Alabama Department of Corrections doesn't allow people on death road to do interviews with reporters like me, so I was unable to talk to Forest directly, and Ardregas died in twenty twenty one, I didn't get a chance to interview him before then. I was able to speak to Ardregas's mother, Joyce Ford.
Speaker 12: That particular night. They said they was going to tease and see he will go to teas every Tuesday and he have his particular same parking space and everything because he would give them good tips.
Speaker 2: Ardregas was willing to pay for a good parking space because he was in a wheelchair. When Ardregas was a teenager, a group of men began shooting outside an apartment building he was visiting. He was shot trying to shield his cousin and her baby from gunfire.
Speaker 12: My son when he got shot when he was fifteen, I had just gotten off of work. I was tied in the phone, rang, rang, rang, and I didn't answer the phone, you know, And I finally answered it and they stated that he had gotten shot. I need to rush to the murdency room. Who that was like a dream, you know. You hear about things happening to other people, but when it hit home, you know. And then he got spinal cord injury. He got shot in the bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was parallel.
Speaker 12: Te lie from chest down T four they called it. So that was like a nightmare.
Speaker 2: In his early twenties, ar Dragus outfitted his Monte Carlo with the makeshift system so he could throw his wheelchair in the back and drive the car using just his upper body.
Speaker 12: He would cut a broom you know that broomsticks. He would put one to the brakes, one to the salator, and he would tape it to the car. He would tape it to it.
Speaker 13: So he like retro fitted his Yeah, he did.
Speaker 12: Did. He didn't buy the regular equipment that he should have used.
Speaker 2: Ar Dragas and to Forest actually came up with this idea together. Here's to Forrest's cousin, Antonio.
Speaker 14: Green Dracu's was. I guess that was a pride thing. He didn't want the handicap accessible pedals and stuff in his car. But as far as come up with this great, this genius idea where they're gonna well some metal rods to the break and accelerator pedal so he could use his hands and dry. Well, he get to thinking about this thing and metal rods well did from the brake pedal or the accelerator. That's not too good of an idea in case you get in the accident. He hate to see Draga's impaled through the seat right here, So he goes and buys two brooms out of the little dollar store wherever, and no measurements, no, just nothing precise about it. He just gets the broom and breaks them and duct tape the sticks, one to the accelerated pedal and one to the brake pedal so Dragas could drive his car.
Speaker 9: Could he get around?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I mean did he drove?
Speaker 11: Real well?
Speaker 2: It's been a while since the Forest and Ardregas have hung out because to Forest had recently gotten out of prison. He was arrested for driving with a suspended license, and as officers padded him down at the city jail, he tossed something into a nearby trash can. Officers reached into the can and found a plastic bag of cocaine. To Forest ended up pleading guilty to drug possession. To Forest served about a year in prison, and by the night of Hardy's murder, he'd been out about three months. To Forest puts on jean shorts and a Tommy Hill figure blue and white shirt, then gets into the passenger side of Ardregis's car and they head downtown. They pull up and park outside Tea's place, but it's too early to go inside, so they hang out in the parking lot, flirting with some girls who work at the car dealership across the street. To Forest buys a hot dog from a cart on the sidewalk. Regulars start trickling and the club drinking, dancing and catching up inside. There's something music low lighting. It's Tasty Tuesday at Teas Place, which means women get in free.
Speaker 1: I used to go to Teas Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Speaker 2: Barbetta Hunt was one of the regulars who was there that night. What was your nickname back then?
Speaker 1: Mama Cat.
Speaker 2: That's like in the world of nicknames, that's the best name.
Speaker 1: The word my mother, it's the purpose and my father, Fred Perkins, they gave me that night when I was born. But that's my name. My name is Mama Cat.
Speaker 2: When she was in her early twenties, Mama Cat spent a lot of nights hanging out at Tea's Place.
Speaker 1: When you walk into the door, that's my spot right there. It's on the right hand side. Every time I got that was my spot. I see, I don't move from this spot. I don't walk to the bag.
Speaker 6: I don't walk there.
Speaker 1: I say, were right there. Me and my friend Velliniciaqui Sanders. We were together.
Speaker 4: We got there before eleven because the club was always free on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday before eleven for women.
Speaker 2: This is Belanique Sanders nicknamed Quisi.
Speaker 4: Anything after eleven it was five dollars and me and Barbetta was very cheap, so we tried to make sure we got there in free because the little money we had saved. We wanted to buy something to eat, and I love to get a chicken plate from there, a chicken breast with some French fries.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, did you know Trafforst Johnson?
Speaker 4: Yes, I did. I knew him from hanging out in the neighborhood in Ansley and I, oh my god, I had a crush on him. He was the finest.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you remember about what he looked like?
Speaker 4: He was short, a nice body, Oh my god. Anyway, he was a ladies man. I will say that, sweet, always kind. He was just a nice gentleman like his mama had raised him.
Speaker 2: Really well, did you guys ever go out or did he know that you had a crush on him?
Speaker 4: He knew I had a crush on him, but we never went out. No, we would just see each other. I smiled, be like, Oh that he is, I'm gonna get him.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: To Forest mostly grew up in Birmingham's Pratt City neighborhood, or Pratt for short.
Speaker 14: We grew up together, I mean closer than just cousins. We were like brothers because we were all pretty much raised right in the same little local community.
Speaker 2: While to Forest was growing up, most of his extended family also lived in or near Pratt, including his cousin Antonio Green.
Speaker 14: And since we were toddlers, i mean babies, we were kind of together took out in this thing, and he was a couple of years younger than I am, so he always kind of held on to my shirttail. And you know, so I've been closely connected with him for our entire life.
Speaker 11: Pretty much.
Speaker 2: To Forest's mom, Donna, was seventeen when she had him, and when to Forest was young, she was more like a sister to him than a mother. Donna leaned on her parents and siblings to help take care of to Forest, and as to Forrest got older, she leaned on him to help take care of his little brother.
Speaker 14: He started at a very young age, much too young to really be faced with the type of responsibility that he took on. He was at an age where he was still a kid. I'm talking about eleven twelve, you know, just in nirteen years and had to take on the responsibility of taking care of his little brother.
Speaker 11: You know, he had a little brother.
Speaker 14: That he got ready for school, he earned his clothes, he did.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 14: He's always been that caring little dude, you know, and he he did that. So he had to take on some things during that time. You know, his mom and dad was dead, but his dad was a very very heavy drinker.
Speaker 2: To Forest's father, Ronald, was an alcoholic and would get violent when he drank, which was every day. This made home life extremely volatile for to Forrest, his younger brother, little ron and especially his mother, Donna. She eventually left Ronald when to Forest was a teenager and moved in with another man who had an apartment in the Tuxedo Projects in Birmingham's Insley community, also known as the Brickyard.
Speaker 4: Oh it was called the Brickyard.
Speaker 2: Velainique aka Queisi, the one who had a crush on to Forest, also grew up there.
Speaker 4: It was rough, dre you know, my mom had three girls, aunt had three and we lived in a five bedroom project with our grandparents, So it was it was just a bunch of girls in the house. But I mean, you know, I had just seen people get killed right in front of me, my cousin, guys shot in the stummy. You know, a lot of it was rough. You had family's daddy couldn't afford to eat, you know, kids come to school, you know, wearing the same clothes over and over.
Speaker 7: It was rough.
Speaker 4: It was rough growing up in the projects.
Speaker 2: To Forest and his little brother moved there when to Forest was sixteen. When he was seventeen, to Forrest was shot and a drive by shooting and spent three months in the hospital. To Forest's mom told me the bullet is still lodged in his chest. During this period, seven of to Forest's friends would be shot and killed. No one was ever prosecuted for any of these crimes, and it was around this time that to Forest dropped out of school. Several family members tell me that at twenty two, to Forrest was somewhat adrift. He spent his time working on old cars and playing video games. He was having a good time dating different women. He had five children who he loved, but he was also unsettled. He hadn't yet figured out his purpose, and he didn't know he was running out of time. As to Forest and Ardregas wait outside of Ardregas's beeper goes off a few times. The beeps are from a girl he met a few nights before, but he ignores her, hoping to meet someone else inside, tees to Forrest walks toward the club's entrance behind Ardregas and his wheelchair. They're focused on meeting girls and having a good time. They don't know that this night will change their lives, and the people they run into don't know they're about to become alibi witnesses.
Speaker 15: There was a love before eleven, and we were standing outside and they came up as far as it was pushing to Draga's.
Speaker 2: One of the first people they run into is Kenyara Pickett, who was standing near the entrance.
Speaker 15: I remember exactly where I was standing, right in front of the club when he walked up, because I thought I was shot that night out. You know, back in the days, it was TFC wearing big clothes back then, and I had all some black, some black big jeans but shorts, and I had on some black and white rebox, and then I think I had on the button down shut my sister. She had just got out of the hospital. She had a blood clot and I when she got out of the hospital, we just went down there, you know, to celebrate that she came home.
Speaker 2: To Forrest and Ardregas make their way past Kenyara and go into Tea's. Mama Cat and Velanik are already inside, perched at their table right by the front door.
Speaker 1: Tavarra Johnson, I remember he was pushing Adreka's four in the wheelchair. They came together.
Speaker 4: I had saw too far, was pushing a Draca's in the club, because we always standing at the front by the door so we can be nosy and see everything.
Speaker 2: You wanted to see who was coming in and who was leaving with who?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 13: About eleven o'clock I saw Tafarest come in pushing Ondrega's in and I was excited to seeing him because I hadn't seen him in year, because I had just got out the military.
Speaker 2: Stanley Chandler is also at Tease that night to catch up with friends. He and to Forrest knew each other as kids, and Pratt so we.
Speaker 13: Stood there and we start we talked, you know about old times, you know, and I mean we joked, laying and laugh.
Speaker 2: To Forrest and Ardregus settle in at a table chatting with people who stopped by watching the dance floor.
Speaker 4: I was sitting on the bathroom because when you go around, it's like a little balcony part that you could sit at. And so I seen Draca's and to Forest when they came in the door, because he was pushing them in a wheelchair.
Speaker 2: This is Dedra Carter, who was celebrating getting released from the hospital with her sister Kenyara. Dedra was also at teas that night.
Speaker 4: And him and my cousin Mona and my sister all us was just there talking and you know, I think Tofarres liked it Mona, so you know, he was trying to hook up with her, but she went no, she wouldn't never.
Speaker 9: Hook up with him.
Speaker 4: We used to laugh, talk, joking, like even we at the club music playing, We're still cracking up, you know, you know, just talking and stuff.
Speaker 2: To Forrest SIPs along island iced tea and orders our dragas up brandy and coke. At one point, to Forrest goes back to the bar because Dragas says his drink is too weak, and the bartender makes him a new one. They linger at the club into the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Speaker 4: When I said we would probably ship the club now we was there. I know, it's probably like they used to close about maybe one two o'clock, so we would leave right right before that, so I know it was like maybe one.
Speaker 13: I ain't leaving the club roughly about I'm gonna say around about right at one. And like I said, he was standing across the club.
Speaker 11: You know, you could see.
Speaker 13: Him because I mean, it wasn't a big, big club, you know. And I just sat to do signs up and I left and.
Speaker 2: He was still there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I left.
Speaker 2: There are at least ten people who say they saw to Forrest and Ardregas at Teas Place between eleven PM and one thirty am. Deputy Bill Hardy was shot right in the middle of that time frame, around twelve fifty am, four miles away at the Crown Sterling Suites hotel. People like Kenyara, Dedra, Stanley Quisi, Mama Cat all remember that night. Their corroborated statements weave together a shield. That shield should protect to Forest and Ardregas from the accusations about to head their way. But it doesn't. The state would arrest to Forest and Ardregas, try them and seek the death penalty against both of them for Deputy Hardy's For the last three years, I've been trying to figure out how this happened. I've read through thousands of pages of court transcripts and investigative documents. I've done a full audit of all the media coverage and interviewed more than eighty people, including several who were directly involved in this investigation and prosecution, and many who have never spoken publicly about the case. I'm not trying to find the real killer of Deputy Hardy. I'm investigating why that person was never found. One of the first things I tried to unwind, how did to Forrest Johnson and Ardregis Ford end up at the center of the investigation when they were somewhere else at the time Deputy Hardy was killed. Here's one thing everyone agrees on. After they leave Tea's place, to Forrest and Ardregas pick up two girls in the Monte Carlo. One sits in the back by Ardregas's wheelchair, the other one sits between Ardregas and to Forest in the front and that girl, the one in the front seat. What she tells police will land to Forest and Ardregas right at the center of the investigation.
Speaker 9: I'm about to share his office headquarters along with Yolanda Michelle Chambers.
Speaker 4: Yolanda is a black female.
Speaker 15: She's fifteen years of age.
Speaker 2: That's next time. Ear Witness is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts in association with Signal Company Number one on one. Executive producers are Jason Flom, Jeff Kempler, Kevin Wardis, and me Beth Shelburne. The investigative reporting for this series was done by Me and MARAA McNamara. Producers are MARAA McNamara, Hannah bal and Jackie Pawley. Kara Kornhaber is our senior producer. Brit Spangler is our sound designer. Additional story editing from Marie Sutton, fact check help from Catherine Newhan, and special thanks to to Forrest Johnson's legal defense team. You can follow the show on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook and Twitter at Lava for Good. To see behind the scenes content from our investigation, visit Lava for Good dot com slash Ear Witness