Speaker 1: Well THEO the NFL Daily presented by Draft Kings Sportsbook, where we would never dress our kid as the Rizzler for Halloween. I'm Greg Rosenthal in the Chris Wesleyan podcast studio. Steve Weiss is back for a doubleheader week from Weiss and Patrick Claybon is here.
Speaker 2: It's the week nine preview.
Speaker 3: Let's get it.
Speaker 4: Let's get it Week nine as we start in Germany on Sunday, looking forward to that halfway point, not this week, next week, not next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't think so. Colleen hasn't left us yet. She's gonna actually do a half an episode that'll be our trade Deadline Day spectacular with Colleen.
Speaker 3: I don't know who's left a trade.
Speaker 2: It's true. I love it. I've been asking for this for years.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying the NFL did it to appease me, but I've been asking for them to push back the trade deadline that happened, and I've been wanting us as the NFL to be a little more.
Speaker 2: Like the NBA.
Speaker 1: They get such good podcast mileage of talking possible trades all season long, Like why can't we have that?
Speaker 2: And we have that now?
Speaker 3: We have it. We have it now. Now it's kind of like, is the NFL going to become the NBA where it's like the haves and have nots by the midway point? Are we going to sit? Are we gonna top load the league?
Speaker 1: It's a big week for that because there are ten teams in the league that have two wins or less. So if you get a win this week, maybe you're not as big a seller. But if you're one of those ten teams and you don't get a win, maybe that'll make our show next week even better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give you some time to make a decision. Perhaps there's a couple of general managers out there who are watching. Maybe some guys that we expect to play on Sunday, maybe they won't end up playing illness because they'll be shipped out coming up before Tuesday's deadline. The most significant event happening next Tuesday, and these ustatos unidos. Let's start guys going smallest to biggest spread this week, and we'll begin with the Chicago Bears. Is there a Hail Mary hangover going on the road to the Desert? Take on the Arizona Cardinals, The Bears favored by one. The Wow the over under forty four and a half points. Ian Eagle, Charles Davis, Evan Washburn on the call, Greg that we're trying to figure out who these Cardinals are.
Speaker 3: Is this a game that helps us find that out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a game I'm really looking forward to. I'm I'm snake. I'm taking it as my late game. There's something the four to twenty five games.
Speaker 2: I want to watch.
Speaker 1: Kyler Murray coming off his best game of the year. This is a guy who you would hope doesn't you know, his head doesn't get too big after getting put onto quarterback Island. Even that was one of the best performances all year. The last time he had one of the best performances all year against the Rams, he didn't really back it up, but this one came with more good plays in the pocket. The matchup is going to be really tough. We'll see if the Bears secondary gets healthier. But this is a team whose pass defense is absolutely excellent. You mentioned the hangover for the Bears. I don't think it's gonna be a hangover, but I do think it's gonna hurt because if you look at the schedule that they've faced so far. Bill Barnwell pointed this out easiest in the league. According to ESPN's Power Index. The schedule they faced from now on hardest in the league, and now the Cardinals are one of those hard teams because they don't have a lot of talent defensively, but they throw some things at you and they're very tough to deal with that offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think the Hail Mary thing, it's gonna tighten things up in Chicago. I mean, the defense is already good, but the Tyreek Stevenson bs that he pulled, that's not gonna set it well. Everyone knows, Okay, we've got to be about that life this week, I think the Bears defense really gives the aero Zona Cardinals and my guy Kyler a tough time. I think Kylee's gonna have a pretty good game, but I just think they're gonna be a lot more buttoned up because of that of the way they lost, knowing that, yeah, they didn't play great offensively, but when they had to they did Again, I'm Caleb. To me, seems to be getting better and better every week in terms of understanding how to play football. I like the Bears in this game, and I like the over under line to at forty four and a half.
Speaker 4: I got the favorite flipped in this one. It's actually the Cardinals favored by one point at home. I think the Kyler in question it could be Kyler Gordon, as the Bears have been waiting to get him Anjaquan Brisker back, they've both missed a couple of games. I think that player that makes the secondary better. Clearly, I don't believe that that hill Mary happens. Maybe the Commanders aren't even in that position. But the fun thing looking back at that particular play is if the balls tipped anywhere to the left, Terry McLaurin walks him in the end zone. Yes, it was flayed all over the field. That it wasn't just Tyreek Stevenson. But a fun fact for this game.
Speaker 3: Greg. Three times the Bears on the Cardinals have needed a field goal in a go ahead or late game situation from Chad Ryland, the discarded kicker for the New England Patriots in the first one.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: I'm watching football with Greg Rosenthal on a Sunday and he's like, Oh, who's this kicker? Chad Ryley Oh, there's no way. He's been nails ever since Greg.
Speaker 1: He hit a fifty seven yarder last week. He's one of like he helped retire the greatest coach of all time, Bill Belichick. Thought Belichick will probably get another job, but he helped Belichick lose that job, giving him a fourth round pick. And yeah, now he's nabling it and they've needed it. They've won three games by two or less. I hate to just be like a Vibes guy, but when you come back from ten in San Francisco, and then you come back from ten in the fourth quarter again last week against Miami, I do think you get a feeling that you can win any sort of game. I thought the Bears came out tight in that game, Caleb. It reminded me of the first month of the season for most of it until they got it going late.
Speaker 2: And so if this game is close at the end.
Speaker 1: There's something about this Cardinals team that I trust, and one of it's the pass protection. I'm kind of amazed Kyler hasn't been sacked in three weeks.
Speaker 2: And the Bears are very good.
Speaker 1: Their secondary is so good when they're healthy that they've made up for not a great pass rush for that team, so you could probably protect Kyler again, and the.
Speaker 3: Cards get healthier on that offensive line as well. They get more some more guys back and.
Speaker 4: You've seen that especially in James Connor's rushing totals, uh the past couple of weeks and an offense where and again finding out what this Arizona Cardinals team is like? Can they be consistent? Is it the schedule or is it the team. I'm excited to see and I'm fairly confident it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be a good game. It's gonna be a good game.
Speaker 4: And maybe Shane Waldron, we'll get our god Doug Kramer, some more carriers. Just a fun experience for all of us involved. Watching that game on.
Speaker 1: Sunday, you're still salty about it because he put the Bears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't deserve to win that game.
Speaker 1: They were they were getting the ball, you know, the Washington was moving the ball the whole time.
Speaker 2: Show up. I just want I just hope Kyler.
Speaker 1: Can handle the responsibility.
Speaker 3: Beat on k be on the island. That's a real deal.
Speaker 1: It would show real maturity. Three straight. They hadn't won two straight in three years. Let's go, let's go win three straight. I like this Cardinals team.
Speaker 3: They're fun. Let's do it a little insight who Greg's picking are coming up tomorrow. Let's go to our next game. It is in the Cardinals Division. The Rams a two point favorite on the road at Seattle. The Rams. Get everybody back up. We're all on board with the Rams.
Speaker 4: Apparently forty eight is the over under Kenny Albert, Jonathan Vilma and Meghan o'livi on the call. We got to see the Thursday night win across the street Steve Now with Cooper Cup and Pookinakoa Beck.
Speaker 3: It's it's all coming up. Rams. Talking about vibes you were talking about, you know, it seems like the Rams are that are that team at the midway point that can get hot. Right now. You get those guys back. The offensive line played better, the run game was better. I mean, you get your one in, your one a back out. Why Matthew Stafford looks like the best player in the NFL right now. But the thing that I I met about the Rams, every time I watch them, Jared Versu and Braydon Fisk show up. I mean, these guys are in on every replay, whether it's past pressure, whether it's in the run game. I like these two against the Seattle offensive line. I mean, Gino your boy, you know he's gonna have to get rid of it quick. I just I love the way those two guys consistently Rekavoc Byron Young shows up. We know, uh, I'm blanking the rookie defense. The second Jared ver Well the other the other defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: Kobe Turner NFL Daily Guess Kobe Turner.
Speaker 3: I mean Teez Steve. I mean, I just like the way that this front plays. I think I think the points are close here. I think the Rams win by by more than two. I think have more than three in Seattle.
Speaker 1: Seattle is one of the hardest teams I think to predict right now in the NFL. I don't think Mike McDonald's defense is gonna be this bad this like forever.
Speaker 2: But they're not sound. It's not just about talent.
Speaker 1: We're talking about all these good players they have, and they make good plays, but there are guys just out of position. They're not setting the edge, They're missing a lot of tackles. The teams that have done really well against them have had a strong running game. We'll see how the Rams are there. They've definitely been better now that their offensive line is healthier. Kid Williams run as well. But what they've really struggled with more than anything is their linebackers with play action passing. And I know it's a different coach here in Seattle, but this I just have too many Rams game where Sean McVay dices them up with their play action passing. And so I think if your problem is you can't handle any play action and you got the Rams coming to town with a little extra rest, yeah, I'd start I'd start remembering all those Rams Seahawks games where they went up there and McVeigh, you put it on Pete Carroll.
Speaker 4: But you're neglecting speaking of middle linebackers and speaking of the Rams, the opportunity for revenge there it is, Oh, that's it's the opportunity. Who has seen more Sean McVay play action than Earnest up the middle. And so now he's back, he's in Seattle, gonna go up against his old team. My main concern for the Seahawks in this one, other than the defense, is the offense just looked like it had both hands topped behind its back with DK metcalf yeah, and aside from all the calamities in the red zone early in the game where Gino gets his footstepped on and then the turnover on downs as well, just a bad situation against the Bills. That was their worst game to me in terms of execution offensively, but without DK, I don't know. It's ultimately going to come down to if DK is playing for me.
Speaker 2: I think there's some optimism that he can return this week.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. Offensively, they'll get it done. The Rams numbers are pretty good. Our friend JB Long pointed out since since the week four, I believe, and they made a lot of changes in the secondary their top ten and EPA per play, they have a lot of pressures.
Speaker 2: We saw what Jared Verse can do.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't think this is a good defense, but I think they're probably good enough to slow down the Seahawks a little more than vice versa.
Speaker 3: Rams are winless in three games on the road, though, so this is a big test because we know how tough it is a loom and field where the Seahawks have a losing record at home. How about that that used to be just like the most intimidating place in the NFL they have.
Speaker 2: They even won a game. Yeah, they won a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't I don't know if I also like, I want to see Pooker and Pooka and Cooper Cup back in full flow for another week, but before just like assuming the Rams are back, maybe I should.
Speaker 3: Just assumed it.
Speaker 2: You didn't see I saw it. I was there.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, like, I want to see it more week. Some of the offensive line issues they were worried about coming into the season in theory could still be there against talented passbushers. Now, they played very well against Minnesota. That was the thing that stood out to be most live is that their offensive line kind of dominated that game. Yeah, after getting getting a lot of grief the first month.
Speaker 3: Of the year, and Watson highlights a quick game. You know, even though you're seeing this intermediate stuff, and then Pooka and Cupp are such so good and tough run after the catch. They keep that up. They can do that against this defense and move the ball and then give it to Kyra and the intel because all he does is score touchdowns.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a huge game here with them both having four loss. I guess every all these NFC West cons that they're they're so close. I assume the Rams wouldn't become sellers suddenly if they lose this game.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that conversation seemed a little forest for trees for me.
Speaker 3: I mean, the idea that the Rams would come sellers with all this talent.
Speaker 4: I think at the very least Gina will show us if the secondary issues in the Rams, if they were solved. I think that was a games the Minnesota Vikings where the.
Speaker 3: Vikings have, of course the talent to exploit some issues in the secondary, but they really weren't able to take advantage of.
Speaker 1: And like, are the Rams a team that can just push around opponents physically? And or Seattle take the challenge of what last week? If you didn't watch the end of that game, I thought it was one of the most embarrassing stretches that a defense had all season.
Speaker 2: Buffalo is just like we you know we're gonna run, We're gonna run.
Speaker 1: We're in your building and Keon Coleman and they're wide receivers are knocking them over in the running game and James Cook is running right through them. I was, dang man, they are just getting made to look like kind of a man.
Speaker 3: Attitude is a dangerous drug.
Speaker 1: Ken Coleman's got out of added Yeah, and a lot of I mean that was his best game last week. A lot of in rhythm type of throws, not just like the improvised plays that they had a week before.
Speaker 2: He was really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred and ninety five yards his last two games for Keyon Coleman. Let's go to the AFC. The Los Angeles Chargers a two point favorite on the road against Jameis Winston the Nerve and the Cleveland Browns, who now to win.
Speaker 4: Last week scored over twenty points for the first time in the twenty twenty four season, over undersitting at forty three Spureau DTIs Adam Archiletta and A D D.
Speaker 3: Kika Walla. Our friend on the call, Steve are are we believers in the Jamis edition of the Browns? Not against the Chargers, I mean the Chargers defense. It could be getting Joey Bosa back. I mean they're locking teams down. I don't care who they're playing there. They're so sound in what they do. Their offense is also in addition to their defense because as they do control the ball, we know justin Herbert Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Island, those are the two new residents. I don't know if you've caught up on your program. I mean here Patrick rightfully, Herbert and Kyler, two of the most fun to watch our are on. Well, one of your guys, Dac had to it's just been a tough year.
Speaker 3: It's understandable. Yeah, but I mean, I just the Charges are our team. I mean, look, they've been in the playoffs. Right now, we're not talking about them because they don't score a lot of points. But Cleveland we'll see. I mean they looked real functional with Jamis driving down the ball, driving the ball down the field. It opened up things. The defense played better. I think the Browns, you know, j Okay's not in there. That guy is such an important part of what they do and be such an important part. And trying to slow down this impenetrable three yards and a cloud of dust offense.
Speaker 2: They need to get their running game going.
Speaker 1: Chargers though it's been off more times than not after those first couple of weeks where it was mostly JK.
Speaker 2: Dobbins just popping a couple like long runs.
Speaker 1: Because the Chargers don't make sense to me if they don't have a good running game. They're getting they're getting carried Zadarius Smith some news on Wednesday, and maybe this will be updated by the time, like the week is out. Certainly he just wasn't at practice and no one is sure why. So you were talking about players, it is not showing up for games. Deonta Johnson, by the way, did not play for the Panthers last week. That kind of registered after the fact. It was like, huh, what if the Browns won this game, though they actually are high on the list of teams. To me, that might change their approach if they happened to win this game. Because if he won two in a row with Jamis Winston and then he traded Zadaria Smith two days later, what does that say to your fan? I mean that that's a pretty big middle finger to your fans and your team for it.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Who they seen them, I get it, That's what I mean. That's what I mean. So that makes it even a bigger game.
Speaker 4: I do think there was a clear before and after in the game against the Ravens when Jeremiah Lusu Cormoa got hurt and what he does, especially on the edge and around the ball for the for the Cleveland Browns where the Ravens were able to get sustained drives.
Speaker 3: And I understand, you know, catching the ball helps in that, but.
Speaker 4: But it's the difference, and I think he makes a huge difference in defending uh this run game and also the other's part where I do believe in Clifton, I.
Speaker 3: Think that was a bad Jamis game. I think Jameis Winston can play a whole lot better than he did against Let's go, let's get Jamis on the island. I don't know, we're not necessarily there.
Speaker 1: He was going downfield, he was being aggressive. I know he could have been picked off two or three times, but that's that's famous.
Speaker 4: But but the difference I think in the typical Jamis interceptions where he's taking shots, he's taking chances, those were those were just bad throws, like Jamis made some bad throws against against the Baltimore Ravens. That if he gets those figured out, and this Chargers team isn't necessarily scoring a whole lot of points, I think there's a legitimate.
Speaker 1: And I thought the Browns defense didn't look right the first month of the season. They've played well since then, so they're kind of back to being the Browns defense we expected. I'm interested to see this Chargers defense. Joey Bosa did return last week, but he didn't really play that that much and was very quiet unlike his brother after the game. But I did notice that, like they are getting a lot of good production.
Speaker 2: This is good coaching.
Speaker 1: You have to give them a lot of credit Jesse Mint or Jim Harbaugh what they've done. They've taken a lot of rookies. Last week they had Cam Hart in Tarheeds. Still have you heard of these young gentlemen, middle round rookies playing cornerback for them and playing well, like playing well enough. Christian Fulton has got injured during that game. Then they've taken guys from other teams that weren't playing well Puna Ford, Christian Fulton, t R. Tart and they're all being very productive. That to me is like the number one side of good coach. If you can take other guys other teams, guys that weren't really playing well for them, and suddenly you find a good role for them and they're integrating these rookies in like that's that's a really well coached team. It's a good rookie class too, with Alton McConkie, Like they're really building something.
Speaker 3: And you know, to that point, you look what they've done in Washington and in Denver. They've got mutts, right, They've taken guys who other teams didn't want and they and defensively they're leading their team. So that's a really good point something to keep an eye on for some future podcast your discussions.
Speaker 1: I'm also, by the way, I'm not picking against Herbo right now. Read the moment I decide I'm not picking against Herbo anytime soon is when Carl Granderson, like a three hundred pound man, wrapped them up in the end zone and Herbo just shook them off just like he was just like a little kid.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's my Herbo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Every once in a while he reminds them just how good he can be, especially when he's healthy. And again you mentioned lad McConkie the second most receiving yards among rookies against man coverage right now, two hundred and thirty eight.
Speaker 3: He was wide received for two in Fantasy last week. Well, I mean that is gonna get twenty seven targets a game, Load them up why not just we seen enough balls to Josh Palmer, are all respect?
Speaker 2: I'm not respect?
Speaker 3: And how much minimal respect do? Out to the Dallas Cowboys who are on the road at the Atlanta Falcons, who are a two and a half point favorite. Kirk and company been putting up thirty thirty thirty points. They score Greg Adam, I mean Greg Olsen, Pam Oliver, the over under fifty two in this one. You made a face, you were not a.
Speaker 2: Well it was because of the two and a half.
Speaker 1: Sometimes there's a number out there that's so crazy to me that it's like they're just begging you to take Atlanta in this game, which is who I am taking and will take. But I don't get it because this Cowboys team, it's not like you look under the hood and they're better than you think. Like statistically they're twenty six in DV away. They're just a bad team. I know the Falcons defense isn't great, but the offense is outstanding. Shout out to Darnell Mooney on pace for a thousand yards killing it. He's got more yards this season than I'm on Ross Saint Brown, then Stefan Diggs before he got her Marvin Harrison Junior like he's killing it. You got Drake Lennon producing, you got Kyle Pitts producing, It's all happening. There was a stat from next Gen Darnell Mooney has run more yards on the field than any receiver in the league this year. So he's out there. He's not just getting cardio. He's working. That's what a two lane man does.
Speaker 3: He shout out to that two lane conditioning. This is where I think when people look at the Falcons, that's how come the points are like this, Like they eat against the Buccaneers, they eat against a division and then they kind of and at home they're not.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: But the Cowboys are a bad team and the Falcons are average. If you want to say they're average, that's a different.
Speaker 3: Here's here's where. Here's where I think the Falcons will do this and well at least talked about dudes. He's born out as Jesse Bates, right, and we know he's going to be in that slide. He keep doing stuff to help out on CD LAMB and what this guy is doing with the takeaways, he's everywhere. Jesse Bates is in every defensive frame of the show. And so I think he's going to be causing problems. Maybe get gets one from dak you know, Kirk o Chains, who we didn't get on the island. I'm a little I'm still a little hot about.
Speaker 2: That me too. I agreed with you on that. How did that?
Speaker 3: I sold out? I sold out? Everybody is a believer.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was.
Speaker 1: He made an alliance to help get Kyler on. It was just a whole feel bad about the whole problem Stafford. You know, I can't fault Stafford. Yeah, I think kirk Go has been more.
Speaker 3: But I also I also think this is the type of game too where the Falcons where Bajon and Tyler Algier to start to pound the ball and eat up clock, get s game over quickly, get Jerry, you know, to douce on his coach a little bit more. Well, I think one thing that hurts is for Jerry Jones, specifically to look over in the division and seeing Washington Commander's defense that at the start of the season was doing absolutely nothing. And now is the defense that that we see right in week six, seven and eight. Who's leading that defense? Well, that would be the former defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, who also had them number one in the league in quick pressures. And I understands there's been injuries, we've been missing Tank and Micah Parsons. But twenty four point two percent quick pressure last year, fourteen percent quick pressure this year, twenty first in the league. We've discussed it extensively, their inability or non desire.
Speaker 4: To run the football. I think it's a little bit of Column A and a little bit of Colin B. But the point again that we're we're in year seventeen talking about this with the Atlanta Falcons is getting pressure on the quarterback. And if you can't get pressure on deck, then then he can get seventeen targets to ceedee Lamb. Get you a few points and we'll see if this defense can muster something. But it's tough to imagine that they do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It sounds like Jason John Abraham still haunt.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, but that was We always used to talk about that around the NFL, that the Jets have it at a pass rusher since John Abraham.
Speaker 2: But it's true about the Falcons too.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't know if he's got to get any Hall of Fame consideration, but that would just not that that would be a good Yes, this is what the Dallas offensive line needs. Yes, is playing this. But the Dallas defense, they've given up the second most points in the league. They are dead last and red zone percentage, and they are bottom in turnover margin. It's just a lot of bad things. Their next games after this week, if they don't win Philadelphia, Houston and at Washington, it does not get easier for the Cowboys. So it is an important game for Mike McCarthy and yeah, the Falcons could make some distance there in the NFC South with the win.
Speaker 2: Uh, we're just getting started here.
Speaker 1: On the Week nine preview, We're gonna take a quick break and we're coming back. That's what I'm gonna call the game of the week, the game of the year so far back on NFL Daily. Yeah, this is the week that Greg Olsen gets the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: We got Tom Brady on the Game of the week Green Bade Detroit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's time for the Game of the Week presented by Draft Game. It is the Detroit Lions on the road at Green Bay. The first time that Jared Golf has played outside in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: The over under forty eight and a half, Kevin Burkhart, some dude named Tom Brady, Aaron Andrews, and Tom Rinaldi on the call, Greg, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think the fourteen games indoors, by the way, I have thirteen or four. It's a lot.
Speaker 4: My friend Adam Mik always says that Jared Golf is an indoor cat.
Speaker 3: We'll get a chance to see if he can shake that and get a win in Lambeau.
Speaker 1: Do you see it happening, Greg, Yes, if Jordan Love doesn't play, you'd feel even better about it. I think that informed the line at this point of the week. It could change. Jordan Love did not practice on Wednesday, but he said it was realistic that he could play on Sunday. Those groin injuries are tricky. Whether he could take like a shot to numb the pain. It's tough because you know you would think you kind of you need you need to be able to tork it. You know you need to make it happen to throw the ball. And as good as Malik Willis has been this year, I think I think you need everyone to beat one of the best teams in the league.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: If Malik Willis is out there, or if it's Jordan Love, Josh Jacobs is key. He's now not only been breaking tackles, I think he has the most yards after contact in the entire league. He's starting to make big plays again like he did in his best years with the Raiders. He is in the top ten of rush yards over expected. This is a really good run scheme, like Lafleur knows how to scheme it up. I think the offensive line is very cohesive. Jacobs is part of the running back matter brigade of all these guys who changed teams this offseason and really impacting going up against a team that believed in changing their running back so much they made it, you know, the centerpiece of their offseason, Jamior Gibbs and David Montgomery, when Dave Dan Campbell got there, and look at all the benefits that it's had.
Speaker 2: So this is an old school game. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: If Jordan Loves out there, I might flip my pick there.
Speaker 3: Oh fifty five degrees eighty nine chance of raining Sunday in Green Bay, Wisconsin. So Jared goff in those elements, Patrick, that is something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: Oh it really is it? Really is it?
Speaker 3: Absolutely. At this point.
Speaker 1: His last game for the Rams was in Green Bay in the elements, and that that helped send him home.
Speaker 2: Right, And I go, well, I remember, right, I just remember.
Speaker 1: I remember the disgusted looks of Sean McVay on the sideline, was like, let's have a little more of a poker face here if how much you don't like your quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: A great game for Jared Goff because they got him in this.
Speaker 1: Situation, okay, fair, sorry, absolutely, God bless the broken road.
Speaker 3: And he's got Dave mcgomery back come up throwing the ball. So I so you know you talk about Josh Jacobs, I just that tandem they have in Detroit in that offensive line, I think elements are not when I when I watch tape of the Lions, it is so incredible how Panay School sticks out as the best player on the field. That guy is so dominant. If you look at number fifty eight to right tackle on some of these plays, look at he's just wheeling guys, He's taking him and wheel him and open up these run lanes. And that's why the conditions are not. I like the Lions in this game because they're O line not not the most dominant left side, but center to the right. They can do it. So I like Detroit in this what are the points at three and a half? Wooh ted points right there.
Speaker 1: That's that's a Malik Willis line. So we'll see, okay, but we just don't know. Yeah, at this point, probably it seems like one maybe they'll take all the way to Sunday.
Speaker 4: We saw Jordan Love on the bike on Wednesday at practice. Again, as Greg said, we're just gonna have to find out. But I think the place that we do know right regardless, like Jared Goff in the elements, notwithstanding Kirby Joseph and Brian Branch in safety from the Williams right now have an.
Speaker 3: Entire part of the field on clamps.
Speaker 4: Yes, they do the tight end scoring Like I just did this for Fantasy Live, trying to figure out where why are they're so successful against tight ends. Two of the top tight ends in the league this year in Caate Otton as well as Trey McBride, totaled three catches for twenty three yards, both of them combined against the last great stuff thin like Terry on Arnold is playing better. We saw him get all those faculties, but just up the middle and through. I think it makes a tough situation because Tucker Craft is a big part of this offense. YEP, whether it's Malik Willis or Jordan Love. I like the line Herbie Joseph's a hell of a player.
Speaker 1: Many shout out to Tucker Craft of like steal and Sam ports Thunder a little bit in this division as just like the tight end rumbling down.
Speaker 2: The field second year player. Just they've been both great this year.
Speaker 1: Jordan Love's numbers against man coverage are like bizarre to me. I was surprised when I saw this. NFL Pro had put this out. Four point three yards per attempt against man coverage. Just has been terrible against man coverage this year. That's what the Lions like to do more than any other team.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The thing I do worry about with the Lions, and I don't think it's totally showed up yet in the box scores, is their pass rush really is bad, not good, and so they're gonna need to blitz to create pressure and that it leaves the one on ones. And I guess those numbers say Jordan Love hasn't been great against man on coverage, but he's got some great receivers, don't. I think that is not gonna last. And so these two quarterbacks just by the numbers, are so different against pressure. Jared Goff has been outstanding against pressure, and the Packers aren't getting a lot of pressure. You know, Kenny Clark, Comedy, QB hits and saxy as this year, Big Fat zero On Bold and Rashan Gary barely has any production either. It's really surprising how they've manufactured a good defense despite that a lot of turnovers.
Speaker 3: Still trying to figure out some of the schematics and things like that, because those two players are so good.
Speaker 4: Edwin Cooper did get that win against the Jags and get the strip sacked that ultimately I think won.
Speaker 3: The Gameout out to his parents for sampling Edgeron. Wait, what, there's not too be the Edgeurans in this world, right.
Speaker 2: It's a fair point. You think they were inspired by James.
Speaker 3: Yes, just like you know, there's whole lot of Sequilles and you know today's generation and there weren't many when I was growing up before that. Guy O'Neill, Well, you know this, the Packers edge is really going to have to step it up if in twenty years we want to keep it going.
Speaker 1: It's like my son asked me, like, why are there so many professional athletes named Jalen? And I said, well, Son, like, I'm gonna have to tell you about this college basketball team called the Fab Five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's why I don't know Jordans.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of Jordan's in this world. I like that. Love that.
Speaker 1: That was our game of the week. Download the draft kingsport Book app now use the Code daily. New customers can bet just five bucks, yet two hundred dollars in bonus bets only at Draftings Sportsbook with Code Daily. The crown is yours.
Speaker 3: From Jayalen to Jaden Daniels as his Washington Commander's three and a half point favorites on the road at the Giants, who might not even like playing in mid life. Forty three and a half points is the over under Chris Myers, Mark Sanchez and Christina pink on the call the Washington Commanders coming off of the big emotional win they get their quarterback back. Is there a spot, Steve, where you see the Giants making I think they could. When I watched that game the other night against Pittsburgh, I thought they played a pretty damn good game. People all over Daniel Jones. I thought Brian Daywall called a really good game with some of the screens using the Steelers aggression against him. Just all the dumb penalties then the late takeaways. I mean, this is not the record, is what they are because of things like that. But you know they're not a calamity of a of a football team, right. But something about this Commanders we're seeing the Giants are owned Ford home. The Commanders are feeling really good, and I like the way they're Their defense is tightened up with Joe Witt. I know we talked about Dan Quinn, but Joe Whitt is a guy who's scheming up this defense and the fact that he's taken again. I talked about some mutts, some used parts from other teams and put them together, showing a light on Frankie Louvluvu, who was actually shining a light on everybody else and got in the secondary to play pretty well. When they know that that's I mean, their first pick next year is gonna be somebody in that defensive backfield. I liked them in this game. I think he keeps going to Washington. I think the defense needs to be talked about almost as much as the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have some numbers on that for you. And this is from next Greg's stats right here. This is like me putting in the components into the into the programming a next Gen sets. They are second in EPA for play since week four, a pretty long sample side, so throughout their first three weeks where they were dead last in just about everything. And I'm thinking, okay, one of the things I believe in defenses is the schedule you've played is probably the most important factor in how you're ranked. It's like, when you play good offenses, you don't do as well. When you play bad offenses, you do better. But they have a couple of good offenses in that stretch. They played Arizona very well. They played Baltimore and they gave up a lot of yards, but they did force some turnovers in that game, which which helps what they're doing. Twelfth and success rate so on a play to play basis not as good, but better than average, and fourth in points allowed, which is the most important stat of them. Also, that's a long stretch where they've figured some things out with a new scheme. This is a great litmus test because remember this matchup in Week two was the most dominant offensive performance in like a twenty one to eighteen game that you've ever seen from these two teams.
Speaker 2: And there was barely any puns.
Speaker 1: Both teams just went up and down the field, and yet it finished twenty one eighteen.
Speaker 3: Little insider information talk about the defense, they basically just pared it down. First couple of weeks. They were asking the guys, especially in the secondary, to do a whole lot. They're like, you know what, We're gonna let you play football, sinkers win, and that's that's where guys who've gained some confidence.
Speaker 1: Johnny Newton a guy I liked a lot in the draft process. Everything I heard about him, every thing I saw as a potential real difference maker. And he was hurt to start the year, but he started playing very well, which has helped make up for Jonathan Allen being out for the year.
Speaker 4: I have to look at this Giants defense, especially in the run game with Brian Robinson coming to town as well as Jay Woo. Where on the edges Najie Harris had so much space to run to where And I know that between Burns and Thibodeau that they want to get after the passer. But it's not like the Steelers were gonna drop back and throw the ball four to fifty times.
Speaker 3: They just seemed ill prepared. And now they're going to be in conflict with Jaden Daniels at the mesh point, and it's a lot to think about. I think this may be an easy win for the Why I know, well it won't. It won't be. It won't be easy. But to your point, Patrick, watching that game, like in the first half, the Giants defensive ends, we're just they're doing that upfield rush like like the Rams used to to rush back when rush was mobile. Like, No, just don't get so far upfield and keep your eyes on the court. They just opened up lanes for Nase and Jalen Warren all night long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they might not have Tyrone Tracy, who had a concussion on Monday night lost. I think that Andrew thomas injury was just one that this Giants team in particular couldn't afford. So that it's to me, it's two different teams in week two, So I'm with I'm with Patrick, Heck, I almost want to maybe change gears. We talked about potentially doing a Survivor pick. Later on in the show, do we want to get a little bolder and go commandos on the road?
Speaker 2: What do you guys think?
Speaker 3: I'm down. Let's do it. Let's be bold, let's let's be a little bolder man. They go to if they win, they go to seven and two. I love that. Just throw the planet.
Speaker 1: I just was feeling it as we're talking, talking it out. We can let you know later in the show.
Speaker 3: Do you Q the Coach of the Year right now? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Plus, I'm with it all right, congrats to DQ in the midway Coach of the Year. Campbell's just like, ah, what do I gotta do?
Speaker 2: We are in a little role here with the Survivor picks.
Speaker 3: Let's good, a little bit of a role. I like it. And we're we and we go risky here, and I like that. I like that.
Speaker 4: You want risk We could have taken this next game coming up, the Survivor po risky either way.
Speaker 3: The New England Patriots against the Tennessee Titans, a three and a half point favorite at home. Are the Titans Coach Callahan said, they're going to see what Will Levis is like and how he feels this week, Greg, does that move you one way or the other?
Speaker 1: No, I think the Patriots would have a better chance probably if we'll Levis starts right when you said we were talking about which survivor picks, you know, and during the break and you were like, well, how about Titans Patriots?
Speaker 2: I'm thinking which side are you?
Speaker 3: Even?
Speaker 2: You're on the Patriots?
Speaker 1: The Patriots as thunderdogs, now that I'm not going that far, but I think I'll pick them.
Speaker 3: It what wouldn't you? I don't know in a game like this, who's who's got the best quarterback? New England Drake May is the best quarterback in this game?
Speaker 2: You don't know for sure he's playing.
Speaker 1: Although it sounded like he was in stage three of the concussion protocol.
Speaker 2: He was practicing on a limited basis. Yeah, usually a good sign.
Speaker 3: That's the phase, and usually on Thursday, if you're in that phase, I you know, look, I think he's gonna play. And with ramondre Stevenson run the ball. And we thought Tennessee was gonna was gonna buckle up, and they just got dragged by the Lions and they might be doing some little Anthony Richards and stuff going on.
Speaker 2: Now they've played the Bills in the Lions.
Speaker 1: But they've their defense, which was supposed to be tough, kind of tapped out in the last six quarters.
Speaker 2: But it's tough when your offense isn't doing anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, guess what what makes you think that?
Speaker 4: I mean the offense with Mason Rudolph throwing to Calvin Ridley. Greg got some yards in a thirty five five point game. Yeah no, but in a nineteen twenty three point game, they can make plain.
Speaker 3: They're gonna put Christiana Jalis on him, give some help and dear anybody else on Tennessee to do anything.
Speaker 1: A two game winning streak for this Patriots team. And yeah, this is one of the handful of games this week that feel like it's too early in the season.
Speaker 2: For these types of games.
Speaker 1: Usually you get to like week fifteen to sixteen, we're doing the previews. There aren't a lot of buys like we want to save some times just kind of speed through it two or three minutes. There's like a couple of those games this week. I mean, I'm still into it because of Drake May He makes everything very watchable. He's really playing it. Good player in excellent nine ten quarters.
Speaker 4: Why you laughing, Well, I just saw stat the Titans passing offense as the fewest EPA per drop back in the entire NFL, and either Will Levis or Mason Rudolph have yet to complete a single game where they've had a positive EPA in passing the football.
Speaker 3: Because said Drake may will be the best quarterback on the field.
Speaker 2: No question.
Speaker 1: Shout out to a couple just veterans who are out there playing very professionally at a high level, Tony Pollard and Hunter Henry.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hunter Henry's he's a good player.
Speaker 1: Harold Landry Arden keep Maybe those are two guys that could potentially get traded. And then I wanted to give credit to Chris Long does a great podcast green Light with Chris he is really the originator of this whole post Lions trend curse that's out there that after you play the Lions, you're just too physically beat up and you look at the results the next week, they've all lost. The next week, not only have they lost almost all of them, it's been their worst game of the entire season the next week. So I don't know if the Titans qualify because they're just so bad in general, but they would have the post Lions curse here.
Speaker 2: Let's go Patriots.
Speaker 3: And another winless team at home, those Tennessee Titans, and they're playing in nash Vegas as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, as somebody who needs to catch Greg and the picks, I'm pulling for Mason Rudolph. Get out there, get out there and show the coaches, show both Callahans just what you can do as a quarterback. Let's go to the Miami Dolphins back against the Buffalo Bills. That did not go well last time, but Tua in that game. Back in this game, they had a narrow loss to Arizona Cardinals. Greg the Buffalo Bills a six point favorite. Kevin Harland, Trent Melanie Collins on the call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think part of that is the matchup. It's been a problem for Mike McDaniel. He's lost five straight to Sean McDermott. You know, last time he lost to a halfway through the game, but they were down three scores at that point McDermott. Even if you go past the McDaniel era, it really gets crazy. He has the most wins against the Dolphins than any coach has against any opponent since he got hired.
Speaker 2: So he's won.
Speaker 1: He's won like almost every single game. He just owns this team and I don't see why it would change because to me, the Bills are really finding an identity as a tough team. I mentioned how they pushed Seattle around earlier. Shakir I think is getting benefits from Cooper being there that he you know, and this is a matchup where David Long's really struggled for Miami in the running game, in the receiving game, I think you could take advantage of him when he's on the field with some of those guys kincaide Shakir catching passes, and then I mentioned Coleman's great. There's just a lot of matchups that you like. When the Bills have the ball. I think Miami could keep up in this game. That it's not like a total blot. Six seems about right. But but it's hard to pick against the Bills.
Speaker 3: Miami's defenses hasn't played well all season. I mean, they've had some injuries, but they just haven't shown when they've got a bow up, they haven't done it. And let's not forget this is the John hu Smith game. Remember earlier in the offseason or preseason he said, how bad Buffalo as a city sucks.
Speaker 2: I don't remember now, Yes, they do not.
Speaker 3: Play that noise up there in Buffalo, and that's one of the few fan bases you do not mess with. You do not play with that. And so trust me, this is gonna be one.
Speaker 1: What are they gonna do, like throw a dough at him like they did to Gronk back in the day.
Speaker 3: That what they didn't do. It just wants either Craig, maybe they'll throw two. It wasn't collectively, It wasn't a vote.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but it happened. They still happened. I mean they still we still get blamed like.
Speaker 1: The Yankees fans should get blamed for the behavior of those.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 4: Johnny Smith had his hotel tour. They did not play around up there in Buffalo. Somebody's in the crowd with a resolution. Be it resolved. This toy will be launched at approximately one fifteen pm Eastern launching balls to Keon Coleman. This season, Josh Allen, he's got the fifth most receiving yards over expected in the NFL and a lot of the because you know Keon Coleman that the dig can be separation, but I think he's getting separation.
Speaker 3: Yeah here recently.
Speaker 4: The idea was that it's all going to be jump balls, but as you pointed out, Greg playing much better football the receive the Steven group. Amari Cooper had a wrist injury at practice on Wednesday. He's question jumping, and I on that one looks dicey.
Speaker 1: That's concerning the Dolphins offense was much better last week. Now, Tua did not complete many throws over ten passes. When I reached rewatched that game, it was almost all sorts stuff. Uh, there was one nice throw down the sideline to Tyreek Kill, but there wasn't much. But everything was just more cohesive, the motion, the plays, he got the ball out of his hands, he played well. There was a couple spots where you saw a little bit of rust. You know, you had three fumbles in that game. A couple of them.
Speaker 3: Were bad deep deep territory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was including the center exchange, Like it was tough to say who's at fault there, But you figure he would be even tighter this week.
Speaker 2: So I think the offense is going to be good.
Speaker 1: They just I spent so much time in August not to be like bring up a weird point. Nick Wright, who does a great job over there on Fox. He's been listening to NFL Dat. He was a guest too, and he was like, NFL Daily is the primary source for Odell Beckham information in the country, because I was just updating every day. Is Odell Beckham gonna be healthy? Is he doing anything at practice? Where's Odell Beckham? Thinking like he was, you know, still a relevant guy. And he's been active for three weeks. And I probably should not have spent as much time in August on Odell Beckham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know you carry, you carry the show. Thank you, well done, thank you. And and there's people who want to know I love Patrick dropping the D's formation.
Speaker 1: I just I just thought, like, what couldn't I kept I kept believing Odell's gonna make a comeback. And now they got who was out there as their third receiver last week?
Speaker 2: Is d S Gridge?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: D S Gridge, Come on, bro, let's take a break and let's come back.
Speaker 2: We're gonna We're gonna talk about the.
Speaker 1: Games with bigger point spreads, but it doesn't mean they're not quality games. There's some juicy revenge matchups here, some fun fun ones. I used to work at NBC. I was not involved in the Sunday Night Football production, but I knew people that were my good friend Matt Casey still over there doing football night in America. And I want to applaud them because they haven't been using the flex enough.
Speaker 2: Let for my taste, the last couple of years, they barely ever flex the game.
Speaker 1: Let me get a good games, I guess, but sometimes it's a little squirrely. But this time they did a service to America. They got Colts Vikings into Sunday Night Football. I might say, like, that's not like the greatest game ever, but it's better than JAG's Eagles. And to me, it's very intriguing. Whether it was Anthony Richardson or Joe Flacco. I want to see this game. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get fired up for the battle of the former Jets quarterbacks. It's Joe Flacco going up against Sam Darnold. They were all in the same areas.
Speaker 4: The Minnesota Vikings a five point favorite, the over unders forty six and a half. Mike Turrico, Chris Collinsworth, Melissa Stark on the call, oh Sunday Night, Everything leading up to all that we want, except some of us would have liked to see Anthony Richson in this game. The Colts would not Steve does it matter against I'm.
Speaker 3: Kind of like, speak for yourself. I'd rather see Joe Flacko in this game because Anthony Richardson, I mean, look, beside the tap out, he had not completed more than fifty percent of passes in any game that he finished all season. Was he was really hurting his team. I get what they want to do because there are four and four. The Colts are a little bit better than we're giving him credit for. The Vikings have been a little shaky, especially on the defensive side. So if the Colts can run the ball a little bit and get some of that timing offense game that five points might be a bit much. But I think Minnesota's now had some time to think about things, especially since you know Sam Donald's getting face mask that wasn't called in the Rams game.
Speaker 2: They getting kicked off kblan.
Speaker 3: Is of QB Island two. He's little heard by that. I think Minnesota this extended break that they just had playing on Thursday night, they're going to tighten things up at a game like this, So you know, I like Donald, I like their offense. I just think justin Jefferson, the Colts don't have an answer for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, the answer would just be pass rushed. So they were better last week with the Forest Buckner back. Yeah, I mean he I know it was against Houston, who doesn't have the best offensive line, but you saw the vision coming into the season. They didn't have Grover Stewart for a few weeks to Forest Buckner's healthy.
Speaker 2: Now you got Odegbo. You got a lot too.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, this division, Gus Bradley's defense makes a little more sense. Can you get after Sam Darnold? He's holding the ball more than almost any quarterback in the lay.
Speaker 3: And Robinson might only have two days of practice at left tackle.
Speaker 1: Glad you mentioned that since we last recorded, there has been a trade. The Minnesota Vikings get Cam Robinson, who's played a lot of football starting for the Jacksonville Dagars, good enough that they're putting franchise tags on him. They're paying him a lot of money. They did not have to give up much to do it. So I love that trade for the Vikings, very little risk. It was for a fourth round conditional pick, so that's outstanding for them. We'll see if Blake Cashman was back. I think that was an important part to that Thursday night loss. Really the two straight losses is their linebackers were getting a little cooked in covered so Cashman would help them. And yeah, I love a team like Minnesota recognizing maybe maybe they're the Super Bowl contenders, maybe they're not. But either way, losing Christian darrif Saw for the season really lowered their ceiling. So getting a quality guy back, like, there's nothing more important than now you know your fourth round pick. That's that's the future. Let's have a little fun here and let's go beat the Colts on Sunday night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it makes it makes perfect sense that darrisol loss was huge.
Speaker 3: Yep. Being able to go get a guy who started won a lot of games and Cam Robinson made perfect sense to me. The price seemed a lot of these trades, especially for contenders. Speaking tenders, it's easy inspiring. He's got inspiring contract.
Speaker 1: I know, but they get like compensatory picks in theory if they want to play the game, which like the Ravens will play that game. You know, it was pointed out like they're going to get a compensatory back just to make up for that pick.
Speaker 2: Anyways, probably it's crazy and.
Speaker 4: Something that you know, in defense of Anthony Richardson, which is something that our friend of the show, Nate Tyce pointed out as well. This offense is designed to go down the field, especially when Anthony Richardson's planned. And if you look at the knickttion gen stats, his expected completion percentage is just based on the location of the receivers and the target of where things are going. He's got one of the lowest amongst starters in the league, the starting quarterbacks, the absolute lowest. His average depth of target is one of the highest, like they take shots, and so the offense doesn't really expect Anthony Richardson to complete passes at a very high clip. And you know, the toughness whatever about tapping out. I just it's one play he shakes off a dude's three hundred pounds, he goes running like he taps out of the play. Yeah, you don't want to say that, perhaps he's covering up something else he's missed games. People have questioned his toughness before because he's a human being who dares to have human body parts. I just I don't see it as big enough deal. But get we get Joe.
Speaker 1: Throwing the throwing the three hundred pounder off and being tired after that. I mean, running backs do that all the time, and no one goes crazy about that that you take a playoffs enstich In, for what it's worth, said that had no impact on his decision now. He also said Joe Flacco is the starting quarterback moving forward. It's not just like a one week now you have to say that. I took nothing out of that statement, And I talked about the four week stretch they have coming up. Three of the games are against three of the best teams in the league, this one, the Bills, and the Lions are coming up, and if Flacco can get them a win against one of those teams, he'll keep that job. And if he can't, he probably won't and and they'll go back to him. But the whole idea of like like whether he was tough or not, I don't think that had a I just think he didn't look like a confident player. So I think Joe Flacco also is not a normal backup. I don't even think he's Andy Dalton or Jameis Winston. I think he's better the way he's played the last few years. He's played at a very high level. So I want to see that Joe Flacco against Yeah, and you talk.
Speaker 3: About the offense design drive the ball down the field. What does Joe Flacco do. He drives the ball down the field. It'll be on schedule. I don't think the toughness thing came into the decision, even though if you're an offensive lineman or whatever and you're you're just eating fist and everything all game to protect this guy and he taps out, that can't sit well. But I just think these guys know Anthony Richardson better than anyone. Shane Stike and I think is a hell of a coach, right. I think he recognizes he was that Anthony richard started to swim up stream mentally a little bit. He had to calm him down to save him. So I think that's more of anything in this in this decision.
Speaker 2: A couple other things in this game. TJ.
Speaker 1: Hockinson expected to return welcome back first time in almost a year, about ten months or so, so that'll be great. If they lose this game, they'll be the first five and oh team since the twenty sixteen cursed Minnesota Vikings team that went from five and oh to like well out of the playoffs. The was a very controversial team of around the NFL pick that we picked the moment they got to five and oh and then they absolutely nose dive with Sam Bradford as their quarterback.
Speaker 2: And so you got to want to win this game.
Speaker 1: And you know, as someone who does have Josh Downs in a fantasy league, I don't hate this move to Joe Flacca.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying Josh Downs was eating with Athrey Richardson.
Speaker 2: That's true. Josh Downs is so good. He's a really good.
Speaker 3: Pleasing, great Drake Mays college receiver.
Speaker 2: This guy. That's true.
Speaker 3: Moving on, and also, yeah, this this one, this one's exciting. You know why because Derek Carr is back. Baby. The New Orleans Saints a seven point favorite on the road in Charlotte, where we found out this week from Dave Canalis that Bryce Young is going to start the over under forty three and a half, Tom McCarthy, Jay Feely and a Mendo Bell littleness on the call. Greg Bryce is back. He did it. He got his job.
Speaker 2: I thought he played better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, against the Broncos in some tough situation. Now, he had one really bad interception in the fourth quarter that made reminded you of the old Bryce that we saw the first couple weeks of the season when he was struggling last year. But for the most part, he pushed the ball down the field. He was much more aggressive, He trusted his arm, and he delivered a number of really nice throws. The turnovers he can't have, but I was worried that the turnovers were gonna get him back on the bench, when actually I thought the performance deserved another look against the defense that's not really playing very well. We don't know if Marshall Latimore is gonna be there. They don't have much of a pass rush. When you think about Panthers OH line versus Saints D line, I actually think that's a win for the Panthers.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, and to get back to Bryce, you know, I spoke to someone who you know, was on the one of the Broncos coaches who said that Bryce made all the right decisions, like he played well, it's just a matter of there's just not much around him. Like he could basically play his tail off and they can still just not generate points because there's just not great protection. Just some of the things you're doing just aren't that fantastic, which is why the seven for the.
Speaker 2: Saints had a slight to the coach or the talent or both.
Speaker 3: I think it's probably again was to both because they're just trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: I give you the hard questions, but I.
Speaker 3: Mean I'm just saying that they're trying to figure out what to do. Like, we have him back here, We've got all kind of guys who probably should be on practice squad playing, you know, how do we figure this one out? So it's not necessarily a bad coaching, but it's like, Okay, how do we put the pieces of the puzzle together to be competitive? But in this game right here with the seven is a big number. I mean, the Saints absolutely boat raced him early in the season, but Caroline has diminished. They just, you know, they just lost the receiver. I think that they were actually pretty happy to get rid of. There weren't a lot of there weren't a lot of people biting at that apple at the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Clearly on the compete, so you.
Speaker 3: Know, what did he do? That we don't know that we don't know. I mean, he could play, but there weren't a lot of people, Like I said, biting at that apple.
Speaker 2: He ain't better lose this game though. No, I'm just saying no.
Speaker 1: So you think I mean I would put it past them, I know, But I just think if you lost this game. They've been pretty patient. They have an very easy schedule coming up, so they're still trying to convince themselves they could be relevant. But you lose this game to the Panthers, I think that'd be Yeah, that'd be trouble. It is a bad, bad, bad Panthers defense. When you talk about a lack of talent, clown. He's out there actually making some plays the last couple weeks and maybe he'll get traded.
Speaker 2: But other than that and JC Horn, it's rough.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember last year when the Falcons went up to Carolina and lost. That was it for Arthur Smith. I mean, there's one thing owners can own. Owners can tolerate losing. They can't tolerate being embarrassed.
Speaker 4: The Saints have a ten point six explosive pass rate since Week three.
Speaker 3: Derek Carr were glad to have him back. He comes back there's no Rashid Shaheed. I think that number continues to not necessarily be that great for the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 2: I bet it's a lot higher on defense.
Speaker 1: I saw a stat that they have given up seven plays over forty five yards this year and twenty four plays over thirty yards.
Speaker 2: That's crazy you talk about it.
Speaker 3: He's not generating pass rush.
Speaker 2: That's DA's defense right now, that's you know ee, all right, Bryce, let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it. Bryce. I'm not gonna pick it, but yeah, I don't like that seven. I don't like that seven. Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's go to a guy who played a pretty good game against a pretty good defense last week, Gardner Minshew and the Las Vegas Raiders on the road against Burrow and Chase, who are seven point home favorites forty six and a half. Kevin Coogler, Daryl Johnston and laur Oakman on the call. We've been trying to figure out this Bengals defense. It turns out that they're struggling.
Speaker 3: Greg. Do they struggle against the Raiders?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Their offensive line struggled last week, which was the most concerning part of that game against Philadelphia because I thought they'd been playing well this year. But you lose Orlando Brown and if their offensive line becomes an issue consistently, then this team just doesn't have enough. And we thought we saw last week like even without T Higgins they might not have enough.
Speaker 2: They are very star driven.
Speaker 1: Orlando Brown and T Higgins were both not at practice on Wednesday, but it is the Raiders who are Max Crosby and not a lot of depth there on their defensive line, so I would think they can still get it done. But they're really they're a star driven team. And you mentioned Jesse Bates earlier, and I just kept thinking, like, what a misevaluation not to pay your own guy.
Speaker 3: Oh geez, Bengals not paying their own guns and you kind of flourish.
Speaker 1: And now you're maybe seeing it with T Higgins too, So that's that's it. Like if they had Jesse Bates, that would have solved a lot of their issues.
Speaker 2: I think the last two years.
Speaker 3: Look, we don't know what the Bengals are. The Raiders are going to go in there and they're gonna compete. They're they're I mean, look, they're teetering right now, right and Antonio Pierce. It's like, you know, we want to see who's who's a grown man, Who's gonna who's gonna come and play football. I think they're gonna give the Bengals hell this game, but I just don't know if they can consistently stop. You know that the Bengals are putting points on the board and speaking about paying guys in Cincinnati misses.
Speaker 2: Joe Mixon, that one I get.
Speaker 1: He kept He kept getting hurt mid season, which you can't blame a guy for getting hurt, but it was consistent year after year where he start.
Speaker 2: I can't blame him for Joe Mixon.
Speaker 1: I feel like Chase Brown and Zach Moss as a tandem is low on their list of issues.
Speaker 4: True, that's all, but it is interesting that they it was loaded up with volume for Joe Mixon.
Speaker 3: Yes, and there's and now there's guys to share.
Speaker 4: I wonder if Joe's like, hey, we could have kept a little more tread on little HighRes for Joe if we presented things that way. But you mentioned Max Crosby. Steve his his pressure rate this season is the lowest for him since twenty twenty, and I think a lot of that is the defense being under manned, yes, and they are here in this one.
Speaker 3: I understand that the Bengals have issues up front, but this this Raiders defense, despite having some opportunity to be very very close against Patrick Mahomes last week, that there were plays on the field to be made. They always played the Raiders close. I mean they always play the Chiefs close, just did not did not make them. And Jamar Chase right now again, go into the fantasy world. He's averaging two point six points per target right now.
Speaker 2: That's a lot, in other words, giving him targets he's eating.
Speaker 3: Load him up against against this Raiders secondary. What about Mike KASICKI He's gonna do some things as well too.
Speaker 2: He could playing well. I would have ever.
Speaker 1: You know, I apologize to Mike Kasiki for what the New England Patriots did to your career because I thought you were beyond done. I thought all the Bengals fans talking about, oh yeah, Kasiki's gonna really help us out, and I was like, are you crazy?
Speaker 2: But he actually looks pretty good. Him and Eric all are a good, uh good tight end tandem.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Jacksonville where they will go to Philadelphia A seven and a half point favorite coming off.
Speaker 4: The win against the Cincinnati Bengals. The over under forty five and a half. Andrew catalong Tiki Barber, Jason according and A j Ross on the call. Uh, Steve, we are gonna see this Jags passing attack. They lost Christian Kirk for the season. Tough one, Uh Trev coming in missing a man? Can they do enough to clear that seven and a half?
Speaker 3: I guess I don't like the seven and a half. I think it's gonna be a I think it's gonna be a tighter game than that. I know Philadelphie's been running the ball well, Jalen's been playing well. But you know, I think for Jacksonville getting Foyer a Lucan back and been a linebacker. You know, I was with them for a couple weeks over in London, and they're like they they missed the fact he's the guy who gets everybody aligned, making sure if a guy's out of a gap, he gets in the right gap. I think they know if they're gonna play Phildelphia tough. I I you know, Evan Inglam's probably gonna gonna eat. You know, he's gonna have ten twelve targets. He's gonna do his thing. Brian Thomas is a special player. I don't know. I'm not saying they're gonna gonna beat Phildelpi people that seven and a half as a big, big number for me.
Speaker 1: You know, they got some players back from in like a Lua Kahn and Tyson Campbell's an important player for them who came back. But then they had all these new injuries pop up. Christian Kirk, Brian Thomas had the chest injury, although he was at practice Wednesday, so it sounds like he'll be able to play this week. But Brandon Sheriff, who's a starter for them on the offensive line, another offensive line starter, Azra Cleveland. So this is a team that can't afford injuries. And I am really curious if the Eagles have really embraced this identity as a run first type of team because it's working. Jalen Hurts maybe he's a quarterback. It's more with less Let's recognize that our offensive line really good run blocking, that Jalen Hurts is a really good runner, and that he opens up things for Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 2: It can be mutually beneficial.
Speaker 1: And that maybe it's not great to just drop back and pass because early in games they've been dropping back at a really high volume and they still have yet to score in the first quarter of a game this year.
Speaker 2: Isn't that's crazy?
Speaker 1: Now, that's it's such a crazy stat and it feels like it should have an asterisk. After last week they didn't have the They scored on their first possession last week for the first time, but the Bengals had the ball for eleven minutes, so their first possession didn't even end till till the second quarter started, so and that included a lot of running. So I just was thinking this team's looked more physical. Their defensive line has played quite well the last handful week. Now, I think it's really a trend, and I think they'll be able to continue that against the Jaguars. I'm taken. I'm taking the Eagles even with the seven and a half. I think they roll in this game. This was the game that we had talked about making our survivor before we decided to be a little bolder, but this would be another fine option.
Speaker 3: In my mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm glad in hindsight looking back and saying, yeah, I'm glad that we went with our Bowl pick okay instead of this one because it's again, it's a hurt Jags team, even hurt on the offensive line where they just traded a left tackle who started seventy five games in the NFL.
Speaker 3: It's especially I do.
Speaker 4: Think right looking at a fully healthy DeVante Smith and aj Brown, that that that's the identity the run game and then deep shots to both of those guys, waiting to see when they can get Dallas Goddard back.
Speaker 3: Although Grant CalCon teris played wolf fine sounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think that full contingent that that helps the passing game probably more than anything. I mean, everybody deals with injuries, but I think Jalen's numbers look a lot better in that instance. And this this Jags defense, I think, like when you sort the statistics, because I try to find like where, where's everything going on there?
Speaker 3: They're not like overall bad.
Speaker 4: They're not giving up a huge bunch of chunk runs, but it's just situational runs, like when they make so many mistakes they.
Speaker 3: Need to stuff. It was third down, third and six, like they gave up a third and five draw last week. They had all those penalties against the Chicago Bears, like when they need to get off the field, they just can't do it. And it is it is simple basic stuff. Again, spending time with him over two weeks a month. It is guys not lining up properly, playing the wrong gaps, just simple simple things he's getting. You know, they're drive against the Bears. They had three defensive holdings, allowed the Bears to get to the ends and on one drive on third down, all three on third down.
Speaker 1: See, I think that's great because it's a week that the Eagles. I think they could outsmart themselves sometimes. You know, Nick Sirianni's enjoying this week no longer the main character, Like this is a team they can just run some basics. It's at the trap doors against it's against Doug Peterson. That's the revenge. There is some revenge going on here because Doug Peterson, I don't think, was thrilled with how his time in Philadelphia ended.
Speaker 2: That's why this was originally the Sunday night game. They moved, they moved out of it.
Speaker 1: So I I've had this thing in my head that until these last couple of weeks they really were on this timeline that they were repeating their previous time they made the Super Bowl, you know, not that time they won it.
Speaker 2: This time they didn't.
Speaker 1: But like the next season was very similar to Doug Peterson's follow up season, and then and that con they get the contract to the quarterback, and then the production goes down almost immediately, and I was like, I do not want to see Nick Sirianni and Jalen Hurts go the way of Peterson and Carson Wentz.
Speaker 2: And I think they've righted the ship.
Speaker 1: So this this is a time for the Eagles to show we're not Doug Peterson's Eagles.
Speaker 3: I'm pissed off. Angelo. I don't know man, trapdoor, trapdoor. Speaking of teams going on the road from Florida who have injuries at receiver, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the road at Kansas City, eight and a half point favorites. It's Monday Night Football. Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Lisa Salters.
Speaker 4: There's an alternate broadcast where you can listen to Bill Belichick's they mean things about the Patriots or the Jets as well, and Greg Baker Mayfield with a chance to go out there and shock the world and all the doubters, yourself included what happened?
Speaker 1: You know what, I'd like to issue a small apology for my snide Baker comment on Sunday night, watching rewatching that game a little closer, I thought he played well in that game. He had the couple picks, but that game he was not a problem for the team. Now, I do think it's interesting that Dave Canalis got the head coaching job in Carolina based on what a good job he did with Baker Mayfield in this Bucks offense. And I don't think it's even subjective. This Buccaneers offense is coached better this year and Baker Mayfield is better this year. So I don't know what that says about Dave Canalis or not.
Speaker 2: But I'm just i't why Dave Canalis got that job.
Speaker 3: It's not no. There's about seven other dudes who said.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, okay, that's part of it. That's fair.
Speaker 1: I guess that's my roundabout way of giving a backhanded dig to Canalis, but also complementing Liam Cohen because I actually do think they have enough pieces. When I watched that game, I did not think that the lack of Goodwin and Evans were the reason they lost. They got enough good production out of Jarrett and Trey Palmer and my guya, And it was really their defense. Their defense has been as big or a bigger issue this year under Tide Bowles.
Speaker 2: It's just not very sound.
Speaker 1: So if you're looking for the Chiefs to finally hit some big plays, this is a defense to do it against.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing that's disappointed for me. You know, I think Baker in that offense is fine. They've had a good offensive line, they can mix it up. They got running backs, you can catch it. But here's the question. When does Kansas City lose? I mean, they're not gonna They're not gonna go unbeaten. Is it Monday night Tampa? Is it next week against a Broncos team that's no pretty good? Is it at Buffalo? And then they got Carolina, Las Vegas, the Chargers, Cleveland, Houston? I mean, at some point they are going to lose. Is is this the game that's kind of the law of averages? Here?
Speaker 2: At Buffalo is their hardest game left on the schedule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And at Pittsburgh at the end of the season.
Speaker 1: You know, you got in at Pittsburgh, you got a home for Christmas. Houston, you know, a lot of them aren't layups. They'll they'll find a way to lose. I would I guess I would go at Buffalo would be the first one. But in a one game sample, you never feel good picking against the Chiefs. At this point with me, this defense is playing situationally. They're so good in the red zone. They're just they're good at everything.
Speaker 3: And there's when added pieces, you know, getting d hop offensively, I mean they just didn't they just the pieces on both day and they get Josh, yeah, they got ouch. And it's like.
Speaker 4: You you hope for if you're a fan of an AFC contender and you're watching the Super Bowl champs who are undefeated, go and add pieces, you start to wonder, hey, where's everybody else?
Speaker 3: Why don't we make us move?
Speaker 1: I've seen enough of these Bucks games now that this is the game that Mahomes really gets it rolling, that Hopkins goes for eighty seven yards and two touchdowns, the running game gets going. I have no faith in these Bucks linebackers. I hate to throw them anti David in that mix, but just they're they're making plays over the middle of the field and it's a game where afterwards everyone's just like no one's gonna.
Speaker 2: Beat the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: We were all wrong in September, because they're going to put up a forty spot and it'll feel like the old Chiefs are back.
Speaker 2: And they pretty much are.
Speaker 1: I mean in DVOA, they're they're fourth in the year now, even including that September where the team didn't look as great, they're playing like one of the best teams obviously in the In the.
Speaker 3: He's got a Homes Patrick saying like he's gonna be kirk O change because you don't know how kirk Oh tears up the bus.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. They'll watch that tape. He'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Andy Reidal, Yeah, he'll throw in something. He'll he'll actually tell Mahomes you can't move, you can't leave the pocket like Kirko chains.
Speaker 2: You gotta just copy him.
Speaker 3: Just be a total statue, stay back there, do everything like kirk including cringe pre and postgame hype commerce. You know what, the trap the trap stop. Oh my gosh, second hand embarrassment.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's clinically diagnosed, but I literally cannot I run away from the TV because it's been much for me. The weird thing about this Bulls defense pressure was in terms of numbers of pressure, one of the best teams in the league per next stats.
Speaker 2: Get better be what he blitz every other day.
Speaker 4: The pressure percentage right there next to the Steelers at thirty three and a half percent. They just you know, Antoine Winfield Junior, one of the best players in the secondary as well, just just not getting it done.
Speaker 3: I just I just can't get Kirk Cousins going down to Bankhead go into a trap house out of my head right now.
Speaker 1: Although I know we've talked a lot about the Falcons and the Bucks during this but you see those outcast Falcons.
Speaker 3: Spectacular, pretty sweet. Nice.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of getting one, But I'm like, do I really want to wear a Falcon sweaterer?
Speaker 3: But maybe we get there's one his outcast on it.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I'm as cool as you. I mean, it says outcast but also says Falcons breakdown.
Speaker 3: That's a sweatshirt that you gotta get. Shout out to Baldy all right. In the game with the highest spread of the week, I don't know if it should. I think the game we discuss should probably have the highest spread of the week. But the one of the number one total passing defenses in the NFL. The Denver Broncos going on the road at the Baltimore Ravens, who are a nine point favorite. The over under forty five and a half points. Nance Romo and Tracy on the call for CBS. Steve not nine points. Steve White should be their pre game four NFL network. But there, well, I'm headed to bald I don't get this nine points. Last I checked, Baltimore's defense still giving up passing touchdowns and Denver's defense is really good. Okay, Now, granted they got fat off of some teams that are not good offensively, but those three guys up front, right, they're dn They played at thirty at thirty four kind of thirty five front. Those three guys up front are doing work. Okay, Now, they're going up a good offense against a good offensive line. But the one thing they do they blitz like we talked about Todd Bowles blitz and they blitzed like crazy. They can't do that game. They cannot. They've got a break character because if they blitz Derrek Henry gets by you, Lamar gets by you, the math is bad. They're gone now Patrick's are ten best corner in the NFL, best corner in the NFL. Like, Okay, there's nobody who's gonna go out there Deontay Johnson's a Flowers and tear him up. Okay, so this is ten on ten, but it is a legit ten on ten because Lamar, you know, you have to count him into the faction here. I think this is going to be I think it's going to be under the forty five point five and that nine point by Baltimore, don't I don't see it. I don't think this is a game where bo Nix goes in there and carves them up. But I think points are gonna be much harder to come by than at four and forty five and a half number.
Speaker 1: So this is the Ravens defense panic week because of all the numbers of the plus twenty plays that they do know most in the NFL, and it's almost it's forty plus twenty plays. Thirty nine of them are their past defense. So it's not their run and it's in the fourth quarter. In the fourth quarter they could get Now you're going up against bon Nicks, who last week for the first time, really pushed the ball down the field consistently eight for sixteen on plus ten throws over ten air yards for one hundred and eighty yards. Now, he had all day back there again, and he was playing against the Panthers, but he had some really nice throws, and he's going to have to be even better because you're just not going to be able to run the ball against this Ravens team. I still I think the Ravens are a great team, and I know they're incomplete right now, but I think great teams respond from embarrassing performances, and I think bow Knicks in this spot is not going to be good enough to keep up in a shootout. So, yeah, he might hit you for some big plays, but I don't believe in the Broncos defense enough to shut him down.
Speaker 2: I think it's more like thirty to sixteen something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The spot where the Ravens do excel is preventing the quarterback run. And bo Knicks was one of the top scramblers. Like we talked about Lamar scrambling and Josh Allen, bo Knicks far and away the leader in the league in scrambles from the quarterback position. And I think that the Ravens specifically right with this pre game last week practice situation with Marcus Williams where he ultimately winds up essentially not playing in the game. Eddie Jackson comes in, has a dropped interception, blows the coverage on the game winning touchdown to Cedric Tillman. I think it's an opportunity for both Marcus and the coaching staff to realize where things went wrong, because the team is better when Markus Williams is on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, they I mean when the last time we talked about Coyle Hamilton, a great player, like the you know, just just talking to people, They're like, these guys are not nearly as aggressive defensively as they have been in use up front, there a defensive line, you know, van Oy and Mattapek and these guys.
Speaker 1: Even hasn't had great production. Smith has not been as big a different figure.
Speaker 3: I think him and Trent Simpson has not been what we thought they were gonna do.
Speaker 1: I think you have to point towards the change in the coaching staff was the fact that they brought in Dean Ps, their old friend, five weeks in. That was probably a red flag that, like the communication issues that you can see just as a fan, something's not right, and you're going up against a good coach offensively and Sean Payton and Boix's getting better. So I'm not ruling this out from being close like mid third quarter and making the people sweat over those nine points. But ultimately we're talking about Lamar Jackson versus bo Nick mind Avery Ravens.
Speaker 3: You can see every game, every one of their games is like a two point game. One way of those is like a two point game. Last year when they won, they won by like fifteen points, like they were stomping people.
Speaker 1: So the Broncos, you mentioned the defense, the easy schedule they've played the twenty seventh schedule in terms of the hardest offense, is that they face. They faced the Jets, they faced Minshew, they faced Rattler, they faced Bryce Young last week.
Speaker 2: So this is I think an interesting test for him.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying they can't like you're giving me this like, I'm not saying they can't pass it and that they can't get some pressure on Lamar because last week, frankly, the Brown's got a lot of pressure on Lamar.
Speaker 2: So maybe they can double it up and do even better.
Speaker 1: But show me something they got to kind of prove it in a game with yeah me to really believe.
Speaker 3: Are you putting the twenty twenty four Denver Broncos defense on fraud Watch.
Speaker 1: Greg, No, But I just think they're a function of their schedule. I think they're going to be good. But to be a great defense in it in today's NFL, you got to be able to slow down great offenses.
Speaker 2: So they do it this week. I'll give him some.
Speaker 3: They got two good corners. They got two good corners too. The guy opposite of Certain's really.
Speaker 2: Good leath the weapon, Riley Moss Patrick.
Speaker 4: Riley Moss kind of silently got done up last week by Jalen Cocher though, And it's been a it's been a great run playing on the other side of Pats or Tam but Coker in the in the Panthers seving corps made some plays against Riley last week.
Speaker 1: Why are you trying to rain on rain on our parade here? This is the first white cornerback that's been starting week after weeks. I lays and c Horney's representing. He's inspiring coaches out there to finally start giving the white guys a chance on the I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it. I want I want more because I think it's dumb.
Speaker 4: It is should you should if you could play corner, Blake corner, don't put it run you can run.
Speaker 1: Man, he's breaking boundaries. But I saw that too, Jalen Coker, nice little player.
Speaker 3: Man, Deontay Johnson, Fantasy holders, team up, get him ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good call.
Speaker 1: But this actually would be a week I would think he would be a huge factor, but he just got there and he's taking a physical. He did miss last week's game. I don't know if he's really hurt. Can he really get up to speed that quick? Because you mentioned that Sir Tan can shut down your best player. That say, Flowers that this would be a week would be great to have another guy in the outside that can get it done.
Speaker 3: If he gets open, Like if he gets open, it gets in the ball. So that's all he is, what he's doing.
Speaker 1: So that is it for our Week nine preview. Enjoyed it as always. We're going to be back on Thursday night, Halloween. We're not going away on Halloween. We're working. I'm throwing a little party for the kids at the house we're meeting before they all go trick or treating and I'm saying so long, and my wife is taking Walker out. I'm watching Texans Chet Seth Payne, great radio guy, great former Texan, will be joining me. Uh for Steve Wise, Patrick Claiban, everyone behind the glass. Yeah, when uh, when the Broncos are on FraudWatch, you know football is back