Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Love Herds. Keith week Kwon has had quite a career, from childhood roles in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and The Goonies to a recent Academy Award win for Everything Everywhere, All at Once. But now Keith finally stars as a leading man in the film Love Hurts. Love Hurts is the perfect date night movie with its mix of over the top action comedy and a ton of heart. Love Hurts Only at theaters February seventh. This episode is brought to you by All State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking All State first. Like you know, to check the date of the big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Very terms apply.
Speaker 2: All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 3: Welcome in first show back from Vacation. What's Right with Nick Wright? Episode one thirty two. So glad to be here, so much to discuss. We have some good NFL, we have a ton of NBA demons. Let's just get right to it. Here's what's not on today's show. What has missed the cut from today's show. Philip Rivers might want to unretire. I hadn't seen that story. It's one of the reasons on the show. The Chiefs pour one out for the land Shark. Frank Clark came to Kansas City, they won a super Bowl. He's leaving Kansas City having won another super Bowl. He honestly, they're gonna release him, and I'm just spend a second on this.
Speaker 4: Actually, he was.
Speaker 3: Underwhelming in most of his regular seasons and an all timer in the playoffs, third most all time playoff sacks. Got nothing we love for Frank Clark, and I use thirty two million dollars cap it. They had to release him.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 3: They couldn't get a deal done a renegotiation. Shout out to Frank Clark. And then also Lebron's rim cycle. Lebron has been watching games and tweeting about it. We'll get to that later. He's also been having dreams and tweeting about it. This is about watching Duke Carolina with Jordan, and then he woke up before it ended and he had to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah before we almost like Russell Wilson, Well.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it's Russell Wilson asked.
Speaker 4: What I would say is this.
Speaker 3: That's a very specific details of a dream. I find that believable because I have dreams like that. I sometimes dream about the next day's show, and like actually do like topics like halfway topics in my head that I then use on the air. But now, part of that's because I sleep with a nicotine patron, so like I have constant stimulus going yeah, you know, I'm Lebron obviously doesn't sleep with a nicotine patron, but he seems to have very vivid dreams. Here's the deal, and this is something honestly demons could learn as well. And there's no shame because Lebron hasn't.
Speaker 4: Learned it yet.
Speaker 3: Nobody won't to hear about your dreams. There's no story more boring to the listener than listen to this dream I had last.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, what are you to late? Are you saying that that's something that I.
Speaker 3: Do occasionally occasionally, Yeah, like, oh my god, I had the scariest, craziest dream. And then I'm like, okay, well, these next sixteen second in my life, I'm never getting back. You at least have the wherewithal to not tweet about it to forty million pp. But no, no matter how interesting the dream is to the dreamer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'd if you just had to be there. You had to be.
Speaker 3: There and no one else was there. The only here is the only exception to the rule. If you sleep next to a person and you wake up from a dream like frightened or excited or whatever, they're like, baby, what's wrong. You're like, oh my god, I just had the scariest dream, or it's the craziest You have like a fifteen second window to give the most cliffs notes version of it. Yeah, that's okay, But like three in the afternoon the next day, you'd be like, hey, man, you won't believe this dream I had. I will believe it. I won't be interested in it. All right, let's get to the actual show. We got a serious topic. Start the show.
Speaker 5: Go ahead to all right, man, John Morant's been in the news a lot the last couple of months. Yeah, he was sidelined for two games by Memphis, but there's no timetable for his return.
Speaker 4: Are you optimistic that Jaw will turn things around?
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's give it the full timeline of just things we know about.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: We know that allegedly he was having a basketball game at his house involving a seventeen year old from the neighborhood. They got into a confrontation and he is alleged to have punched the kid and then alleged to have gone in the house and put a gun in his waistband and not necessarily not like pointed the.
Speaker 4: Gun, but just made it so they could see it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: We know that's alleged. We know that his mom is reported to have gotten into a dispute at finish line. She called Jah and he showed up with nine other guys to the finish line, well to the mall parking lot, and then a guy who did not sign up for this. The mall security guard had to be like, I think this is a bad idea, to which Job allegedly said, I want to know what time he gets off. We know that's been reported. We also know that the Grizzlies got into some confrontation with some of Jos's friends. I'm sorry the Pacers did with some of Jos's friends. And then there were a couple cars. Job was in one of them. This we know this part. They were around the pacers loading area to the bus, and then from one of the cars supposedly that job was in, a laser pointer started going pacer by pacer and they're Obviously was speculation that these guys didn't have a laser pointer on them, that it was a laser sighted pistol, but they weren't able to figure that out for sure. We also know that Jav's dad and some of the Grizzlies got into it with Shannon Sharp, and we know unequivocally that Jab and this part is critical on his own Instagram feed, was shirtless in some club with a very small gun. Those are things we know. We tautology. We don't know what we don't know, We don't know what hasn't been reported. But as any parent knows, and I'm not trying to be printal towards Job, I'm just using his analogy for every time your kid gets caught doing something idiotic, it's like, oh, They've probably done that seven other times and I just didn't know or they got away with it. It's very very rare that every time you act a fool you get caught.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's the same reason why again I'm mixing metaphors here. Anyone I'm not trying to take this lightly, but almost anyone could theoretically get a dui. But the moment someone gets too, it's like, oh, they're an alcoholic. Because it's possible that the first time you ever drank too much and drove you got pulled over. It's impossible it happened to you twice, and so it's likely your first dui. You've probably done it one hundred times, but it's not you don't know it. But as soon as it happens more than once, it's like, oh, this happens all the time, and you just haven't gotten caught. So we have five reported incidents of something early with job. You then have this part of it, which I don't think enough people have made have focused in on. This is a slightly different story if it is John Morant shirtless with a gun and a club that someone else video tapes. And here's why it's still terrible dangerous decision making. But it's theoretically terrible dangerous decision making that he wouldn't have wanted out there. Oh, I didn't think anyone on your own ig Live is a different set of circumstances. I don't listen, I don't smoke weed, and smoking weed is again I'm mixing all these metaphors.
Speaker 4: But let's say I did.
Speaker 3: It's very different if I'm walking our dog smoking weed and somebody who recognized me snaps a picture and tweets it. Then if I'm walking our dog smoking weed and I tweet out a picture of myself thumbs up with the bullet, it's like these are You're doing the same thing, but your feelings of publicizing it. You follow what I'm saying here. It's it is he invited the world to nobles. Okay, so that's the timeline of all of it.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: The timeline kind of weird him doing the the finger emote, the little finger thing on the sideline and then him posting the picture and with the gun like two days later.
Speaker 4: Oh so I didn't even gut.
Speaker 3: It's not great. Uh So, here's so I want to talk about what Jah has in front of him from basketball standpoint. And then I want to talk about why I think this is actually a without being media hyperventilating, wildly dangerous. Okay, here's what he has in front of him. John Moriant legitimately could make a billion dollars. That's not hyperbole. The NBA is about signing new television rights deal. There's speculation that the new max contract is gonna be almost a million a game, that you're gonna have players making sixty five to seventy million a year. But Job's got what call it conservatively ten good years left. Again, go conservative, call it fifty million a year. It's already made one hundred. There's another five hundred million. He has a signature shoe. That's massive money. Only like six guys have a signature shoe. And then there's this part of it. I think people are overlooking the value in this demonse. Right now, who do you think? Just tell me you think the best player in the league is. Just give me a name. Okay, give me another guy who's in that conversation. Call it Luca Kevin, Luca Durant, Sure, Yo, kicch embiid all fair, right, So all of those guys, but Durant have something in common. They're not American Yiannis, Luca, yo kicchen Beiid, America Durant Old. Jah has a very real chance for a significant portion of time to be the best American born NBA player, like a five year run of that. So why do I bring that up? There is certain and this isn't a value judgment. It's just reality. Marketing and endorsements available to him that are gonna be unique to be because there is a different marketing for American born stars and other stars. So even without ever having to be the best player in the league, he could get a lot of those dollars because they're because for Luca and jokicchen Embiid and Yannis, it's not that they're not available to them, but it's different. It's just and so that's a factor that makes Jah. It's what people were hoping for Zion, you know what I mean, Like it's a unique lane where because so many of the great, great, great great players foreign born, he actually could because like if the sixth best player in the league typically can get X amount of dollars, if the sixth best player in the league is the best American born player, they can get different types of dollars. So that's the money he's risking. Now the actual risk. All right, people won't believe this, but this is true. Memphis, Tennessee, is one of the most dangerous places in the Western world when it comes to gun violence. If we are talking about fully developed nations, Memphis has Bloomberg just had the story the third highest hum side rate in the country, and the United States is about the most dangerous place you can be in for gun violence.
Speaker 4: So in the most.
Speaker 3: Dangerous country for guns he lives in, it's Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis. For major American cities, if you bring out cities that are smaller, New Orleans then jumps up there. And I figured out if it was Saint Louis or Kanas City. Actually, unfortunately, but Memphis is the third most dangerous big American city. Bloomberg just had it. Little context, Memphis has for every hundred thousand people, forty five homicides. New York City has six nine times higher murder rate. No, New York City is actually a low key, very safe city on that regard, but nobody thinks of it that way.
Speaker 5: But it is.
Speaker 3: Young Dolph got murdered at a cookie bakery in Memphis, Yes, mining his own business. I don't know what Jow's doing. I don't know what Jozz.
Speaker 4: Cru is doing.
Speaker 3: I do know that Memphis a city I love. In a city I spend time in a city that your mom's best friend in the world lives in, your cousin lives there. We go there when I was in Memphis for the Southern Classic. That night a few months ago, me, your mom, and Nicole went out again. Keep in mind my level of fame compared to jazz, my level of jewelry compared to jozs I wear two chains typically. We went the first place we went to the guy who was throwing the party. Nicole had told him that we were coming. Had when we got there, He's like, hey, Nick, nice to meet you. I really appreciate you coming, said this is such and such.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be with you tonight. I'm like, huh. He's like, no, he's gonna be with you. Make sure you guys are good. I'm like, we're good.
Speaker 3: He's like, nah, he's gonna he's gonna be with you tonight. He's like, you guys are good, But I'd feel better about it.
Speaker 4: Whatever it is.
Speaker 3: It is a rough city, and I don't mean this like I'm no pun intended. John is putting a massive target on his back. And now let me talk about the kind of more nuanced piece of this. Okay, America is the most gun loving country in the world. We have more guns than people. People are a big person in this country. Second man, and second and second man, and then a black guy shows up with a gun and everybody freaks out. I understand that frustration. Earl, are my dear friend, and you know him. Laslow used to say, because he's as anti gun as it gets that we actually want gun control in this country. We need every eighteen to twenty four year old black man and states that have it show up at those NRA gun conventions and start start publicly buying up the firearms real quick. We'll get some gun control, which, by the way, kind of happened. Actually, if you look at the assault weapons bands and when those things happened, they had a lot to do with fear of the black Panthers and the eighties and Reagan and all that set that aside. So I understand the folks who are tweeting, what did y'all do? It's open carry, It's allowed you don't need a license. Oh it's a problem in John. I understand the argument, but everyone though, well say it again.
Speaker 5: He's he's too big for that. I think that it's just got like a lot of kids watching him and stuff. It's not a good look.
Speaker 4: Also your own one.
Speaker 3: And even if technically you're correct, he's not breaking any laws. And everybody knows that is reckless. And by the way, I'm not certain no matter even in states where you can open carry typically, and we don't know if he was in Colorado or Tennessee.
Speaker 4: We think it was Colorado.
Speaker 3: Typically there are rules about does the establishment serve alcohol? Have they decided they're a gun for his zone? You know what I mean? People think he was at a strip club. I I've never heard of a strip club in the country. We're allowed to bring your pistol. I think even even in Texas, and Texas got a lot of them. It's not like, okay, yeah it's Texas, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: It is usually pretty significant pat downs metal. But even I understand the we freak out when black guys have guns. When black guys have guns, the cops freak out that nobody the all the Second Amendment. Absolutists never show up to, you know, argue for the black guy who was legally carrying a gun and the cops killed him. I understand all of that, and I understand the apocrisy of it. That's a different discussion than what we clearly have a pattern of wildly dangerous behavior, wildly dangerous that and here's my last point on this. Even John, now, even if he turns this around, John must be careful.
Speaker 4: He has.
Speaker 3: Put a huge target on his back. And I don't know if Jo's friends or gangsters. I don't know if Ja's a gangster. I don't know any of it.
Speaker 4: I do know that in.
Speaker 3: Any city, but particularly cities with real gangsters, sometimes even if you have matured, they view you a certain way, and that shit is dangerous. It is flatly dangerous. And I don't think it's like media hand ringing. And I feel like some people have been afraid.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm very confused by how a lot of media talks about a lot of things these days. And maybe there are some racial components here that I that I am not recognizing fully in why people are afraid to say what I think is patently obvious. Maybe I feel like I give myself more freedom to speak very openly and freely about exactly how I feel about this, because people can concuse me a lot of things, but being anti black is one that I think I'm pretty well insulated.
Speaker 4: On, so I can just be honest.
Speaker 3: I am worried that this could go really terrible, and I would be worried about that if he played in any city, but in Memphis, I am it is particularly worrisome. So I listen, He's got an amazing and I'm gonna say one other thing. There's been a lot of speculation about his parents. I don't feel totally comfortable joining in that speculation. I know the story. Do you know the story of him and Tea from when they were when he was little tem Martin his dad, Ye Tem tem Martin was a quarterback for Tennessee twenty five years He followed Peyton Manning Peyton Manning and win a national championship there. T Martin then did but set that aside Team Morant. Tim Rant was kind of like a version of Earl Woods Tiger's dad or Richard Williams. It was johe was like four years old, is like my life is you and turning you into an NBA player, and built put a court in their backyard and was his trainer, his coach, and put fifteen years of his life into John Morant becoming Ja Morant, right, and it worked. Yeah, And they seem to have an amazing relationship. And so I and now Tea, I think understandably maybe and getting I guess I am going.
Speaker 4: To engage some of the speculation.
Speaker 3: It would appear kind of feels like we made it. Yeah, I you know what I mean. I dedicated my life to you becoming this you have. We did it together. John him seemed to have a great relationship, but that can become tricky if the kid then starts.
Speaker 4: Acting a fool.
Speaker 3: And he's It's also there's weird dynamics when well, his.
Speaker 5: Dad seems to be a little bit more hands off than you think that he is given the circumstances that you just said.
Speaker 3: But that's what I think because his dad's court sided all these games. His dad lives next door to him, so he's there. But the question is like, is he just did he just become like part of the the click. I didn't want to use that word, but yeah, but yeah, you know what I mean, Like, it's a weird thing. I don't know, but I also know this the his mom calling him saying they're giving me a hard time at foot Action their finish line, Hey show up ten deep, Like I I don't look.
Speaker 4: The whole thing.
Speaker 3: Strikes me as weird and right, well, what's the problem, Like, I don't know, it just strikes me as There's a lot of and some people have made this point. I didn't mean do twenty minutes on John Moriane, I apologize, but I think it's an interesting discussion. Yeah, a lot of people have made the point, Uh, he's hanging out with the wrong people. Some people, I think, I give him credit. I think Ryan Rosillo said this, but I think other people did too.
Speaker 4: Some people made the point he might be the wrong person.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to maybe Wild Wild said this off the air, but I'll I'm gonna quote him on the air now on this. He was like, even if you are with the wrong people, like if you're in Jamran It's group and Brian is a bad guy and a dope and always wants to do the wrong stuff, and Brian's like, let's go do this and jazz like no, I think we should go do this.
Speaker 4: Where's the group going right there?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Like the when you are the celebrity and the one funding everything, they're following you, right, and so I don't I don't know, but this is this has already gone left on him and it could go really, really way further left.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: That was twenty minutes on John Moran. My apologies, go ahead, next.
Speaker 5: All right, Sun's MAVs Sunday's Mornings MAVs. Son's game was juicy with storylines. Man, Yeah, Katie and Kyrie facing off for the first time since the trade.
Speaker 3: All right, let's stay there for a second. Okay, just for a second. Not a lot of interaction.
Speaker 5: Between the two.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of DAPs, hugs, pregame talks, postgame talks.
Speaker 4: Those are two kind of weird dudes.
Speaker 3: Though it also makes me wonder they did.
Speaker 4: Seem to be more like Buddy.
Speaker 5: I mean, there was a different dynamic when they were on the nets.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, But I wonder how how close a friends.
Speaker 5: They really were.
Speaker 3: I I think they were at one point, but when everybody thought it was dead, it actually was dead.
Speaker 5: Like when it when that point where Kyrie was doing all the bs.
Speaker 4: And yes, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: I think maybe I ain't that, and I know that Kyrie's like will always be brothers and all this stuff.
Speaker 4: I appreciate all that.
Speaker 3: I think that. I I think that sometimes you're really really good friends with someone, or you think you are, and then you start working together or you start living together, and by the end of it, you're not nearly as close as you were before you knew the person.
Speaker 4: So well, go ahead. It is a job at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: But there was Booker and Luca beefing from yeah, Usher's playoffs, obviously, and of course it came down to the wire.
Speaker 4: Is this suddenly the best rivalry in basketball? Definitely?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd say so.
Speaker 4: I think it definitely is.
Speaker 3: And I think people are way underrating the MAVs ability to beat them in a series. I'm not saying they're better than them. What I'm saying is this last year, the MAVs were down three to two and.
Speaker 5: They lose it in close games. I feel like, I mean, at least like by the difference of ten.
Speaker 3: Well, right, well, they were down and then do you remember what happened in Game seven? Game seven was the game that was fifty seven to twenty seven at half man Luca dropped well, Luca outscored the Sons in the first half. Yeah, okay, and everyone's like and but and now the Sons have added Kevin Durant.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's talk about this.
Speaker 3: Though Sons have added Kevin Durant, they have lost Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Mikale with their best perimeter defender. Also, they have kind of lost Chris Paul. I mean, he's still there, but so they've added Durant. They have fifty percent less Chris Paul, one hundred percent less Michail.
Speaker 4: Bridge, less came Johnson.
Speaker 3: The MAVs have lost Jalen Bruns and Dorian Finney Smith. They've added Kyrie Irving. I don't think it is not surprising me at all that this game came down to the wire. You know, it is surprising me a little bit everyone. Okay, let me ask you this, what did you think of Devin Booker talking trash to Luca.
Speaker 5: I think it's a little I thought it was a little early. I think that Luca is still he's Lucas still on top for what he did to him in the playoffs. Okay, think that he's got to get some type of postseason revenge.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I ask you that because you're the athlete on the show, I thought, I think you're allowed to talk trash whenever you want, but you open yourself up to some mocking or criticism if you do it to the guy who the last time you talk trash to him was after game five, and Lucas says, everybody talks tough when they're up. And then Luca baptized you for two straight games, and then in this game, you wait until big brother Kevin comes in hits the game winning shot Luca misses when you're not a part of the play, and then you're chu and I had everyone come after Nick. You don't understand how trash talk works. Eddie Johnson, can I tell you what Eddie Johnson said to me? Uh so? Eddie Johnson is a former uh uh, former what you gonna call it? Suns player, really good NBA player who's now on the color commentary for their games. I tweeted Devin Booker talking trash to Lucas absolutely hilarious. Eddie Johnson, who just won't leave me alone, tweeted that happened a year ago, just like you didn't have hair a year ago. Funny how that happens.
Speaker 5: He like the I don't think people understand how funny unfunny that type.
Speaker 4: Of when you just grew it right, exactly right.
Speaker 3: No people are really convinced, like that I got hair plugs or that I wear a wig. But this guy so last year during the series, I tweeted, MAVs should feel fine. Sons of no answer for Luca Phoenix at I rebound, hit three, desperation, end of shot clock shots in the second half killed me come back attempt. This series is going the distance, and I like Luca's chances at the end of it. By the way, great tweet by me in the midst of that game. Uh So I wrote the sons of no Answer for Luca and Eddie Johnson replies, I don't even follow. This guy replies to me sort of like you have no answer for steven A the like what do you?
Speaker 5: What do you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Oh God?
Speaker 3: And then during and then during one of the games later that MAVs were winning, I tweeted, where these dopey fan media folks from Phoenix that were living my mentions all week? They caught off the Wi FI in Arizona for the.
Speaker 4: Weekend or something.
Speaker 3: Uh, and there's what Ed did, Johnson rights, Nick, I assume you have me in that category. I liked that, especially from a five foot two inch, one hundred and thirty pound non athlete like yourself, who has zero idea that losses energize and focus you instead of running and hiding like you did when they took your ball, Let's have fun. I love it, Like, who does? I don't understand who this this guy? Uh?
Speaker 4: But whatever, it's Evin Booker Berner.
Speaker 3: No, no, but the thing is this he played seventeen years in the NBA. I used to go on his radio show like I don't understand. All right, let's go to the next thing.
Speaker 4: All right, it's all on into some football. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The Packers are reportedly done with Aaron Rodgers, the future Hall of Famers reportedly speaking to the Jets. Now, yeah, will this be the biggest move in Jets history? Or they bound to screw this one up to all right?
Speaker 3: Well, they did trade for Farv as well, under the exact same circumstances, which is pretty hilarious.
Speaker 4: That workout.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think Jets would screw this up. But I just don't think Rogers is great anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's a pain in the ass.
Speaker 3: He's super expensive, and he's like the twelfth best quarterback in football twelve. Yeah, I think thereabouts. Should we do the list? Should we do an impromptu list? This is what got me in trouble last year, which got me jail and Hurts twenty fifth? All right, no, no order, I'm just going down the standings.
Speaker 4: Okay, he is.
Speaker 5: Better than Trevor hold On, but go ahead, give me if you put some real dogs around.
Speaker 3: Him, right, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Lamar, Trevor Mahomes, Herbert Jailing Dak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was got to say, now it's getting to what do you mean you're throwing Dak in there?
Speaker 3: Dak was way better than him last year.
Speaker 4: What are we if you put it?
Speaker 5: I'm not one of those guys like put him on this team. But could you imagine if Aaron Rodgers played with the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you played with DeVante Adams kept Jimmy g in the playoffs? Hey, what are we talking about?
Speaker 5: Guy?
Speaker 3: You guy at Jordan Nelson For years at DeVante Adams, Alien was a well listen when you when you when all of a sudden at age thirty eight, you're like, I need fifty million per years.
Speaker 4: It has to make some tough decisions.
Speaker 3: And even when they draft a bunch of rookie wide receivers, that's where he went. But then you spend your off season getting high as balls instead. I shouldn't have said that is getting high and all and all of a sudden, it take you six weeks to get on the same page as them.
Speaker 4: It hurts your team. Give me a break. How many that? Gino?
Speaker 5: Gino?
Speaker 4: Ga?
Speaker 3: What I was at eight and I'm at okay, what's the problem, Gino?
Speaker 4: Pickings are getting all right?
Speaker 3: Hold on? Do we want to throw two in there?
Speaker 4: We want to throw two in there?
Speaker 3: Do you want there? I don't really want to or two in there? You like Daniel Jones?
Speaker 4: Are we brought party?
Speaker 3: No, we're not doing that. What about golf?
Speaker 4: GoF is crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I think we're this list?
Speaker 3: Yeah? There we go, twelve? I got there, all right?
Speaker 5: Next, all right, it's some another quarterback news. Derek Carr is going to the Saints and Gino is staying in Seattle. You debted the Derek Carr move, but I honestly disagree, being that the Saints now have the best quarterback in their division and possibly the second best quarterback.
Speaker 4: In the NFC if Rogers goes to New York. Meanwhile, Seattle's paying one hundred billion to Gino Smith, who regrets this decision.
Speaker 5: More in a year.
Speaker 3: I don't mind the Seahawks move for Gino because they can get out of it after two years and they don't have.
Speaker 5: A team that's gonna go super far.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't kill them like in their building.
Speaker 4: I don't mind it. The Saints, the Saints.
Speaker 3: I did this on the show on the TV Show and Wilds and Bruce said it was boring, and okay, the Saints keep borrowing from future year's cap to pay for this year's team, and they were. When when you're doing it to try to win a Super Bowl with Drew Brees, no problem. When you're doing it because you won't admit you missed your window, you are ruining your chance to actually build a Super Bowl contender. So the salary caps about two hundred million dollars. Dead money is money on the cap that you are paying to players no longer on your team because you structured the contracts such in a way where this year their cap figure is tiny, so we can get all these players, but then next year it explodes. So, for example, Michael Thomas, their off injured receiver this coming season, has a capital only four teen million dollars and his cap it's been low his whole time there. But next year's cap hit is fifty nine million dollars. It's the highest of any player or any position in the league. So obviously they will have to cut him. And then they when they cut him against their cap to not have him on the team will be fifteen million. So obviously you want to have as little dead money as possible, or take all your dead money hits in one season, strip the team down and then build.
Speaker 4: Does this make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the year breezes last year there, they had forty million in dead money because they had gone all in the previous season. He then retires. They won't admit that they need to tear it down. They had fifty million in dead money. Now they're gonna cut Jamis. They already have They're already paying thirty million to guys who are not on their team this year. Already they're forty million a game and they are positioning it so next year and the year after they're gonna be on that dead money level. So what does that mean. It means you have twenty five percent less cap dollars every year than the rest of the league, as opposed to simply taking your medicine one year. So yes, I understand Cars, the best quarterback in the division. I understand all of that. However, they can't win a super Bowl right now, and they are ensuring that they stay far away from.
Speaker 4: Being able to win one.
Speaker 3: What they needed to do was clean up their books, stop trading away first round picks, and start anew Philly won a Super Bowl, tore it all down, built it up, and got to another one. Chicago had seventy five million in dead money this last year. Tore it down because they had seventy five million dead money. Team, they got the number one pick of the draft out of it, and now they have more cap space than anybody. Just take your medicine for one season, clean up your books, and try to build a contender for one of America's greatest cities. So I think that's the.
Speaker 5: That's the GM, that's that makes those types.
Speaker 3: Yes, greedy decisions, And I think it's I think it's insane. I think the Saints have been operating the way their football team the way I would operate my American Express card if a doctor told me I had six months to live. If it was like you have a terminal disease and it's guarantee, you like six months, your checkdout and be like, well, I guess everything's free then, right? Because like, but this team, they they've been operating like they have insight intel that the NFL is folding in twenty twenty five until this bill will never come due. I don't understand it. Quick break right back, what's right?
Speaker 6: If your football team had one option in their playbook, the results probably wouldn't be great. The same could be said for your investments. Siebo index options like SPX and xsp can help expand your investing strategies with cash settlement and potential tax advantages. If you're ready for a more dynamic game plan, head to Better with Options dot Com. Cebo life is better with options, Your investments.
Speaker 5: Could be too.
Speaker 6: There are risks associated with Cibo company products. Review the disclosures and disclaimers at cbo dot com. Slash us underscore disclaimers welcome back.
Speaker 3: In episode one thirty two, we just had some brief technical issues we've watched to us on YouTube. If you're just listening to the podcast, those will be disappeared into this expanse of time demands.
Speaker 5: Let's get right to it all right, Lakers are hanging on for dear life without Lebron, but are six and three since Westbrook left the team in the trade deadline. Meanwhile, the Clippers, the Clippers signed or bought out Westbrook and went on to lose five straight.
Speaker 4: Not to plenty any fingers at russ Man, but can't all be a coincidence?
Speaker 3: Right prior to the Clippers big fourth quarter comeback the other night? How many straight games do you think teams had lost that Russell Westbrook could start?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: Because keep in mind he only started He started the first couple games of the year, but he started them all last year. So how many games? How many consecutive games do you think Russell Westbrook had lost as a starter, Give it a guest. We know it was five with the Clippers, right, call it seven and nine. We're gonna go fifteen to Monsey this year. No, the end of last year, lost eight straight as a starter. Then two straight started this year, then stopped starting. Then the Clippers were like, you can start for us, buddy, and they immediately lost five in a row and then needed a wild fourth quarter comeback to beat You know the Clippers were who they beat, by the way, the Grizzlies. Yeah, we're without Jah, Steven Adams, Dylan Brooks, and Brandon Clark four their six best players. I I had Russ I think thirtieth on my NBA list, but.
Speaker 5: I don't do it. Are you about to say he's dropping.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'm not saying he's dropping. What I am saying is that he he's an all time great player who I loved, who now just damages your team. He just is incapable of being a part of winning basketball at this point in his career. He can't defend. He kills your spacing, so the few things he does well, you can't make up for it.
Speaker 4: Like I, this is not.
Speaker 3: A It does not mean he is not an all time great, but at this point he is negative and I lost a little.
Speaker 5: Bit of his athleticism that he used to have, so it's a.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And his shooting is worse than it was and was never good it's just it's just a big problem.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Do you think Russ is who Lebron was talking about in this tweet? Okay?
Speaker 5: Preferring to Bronni being better than some of these cats, I think we're gonna put it.
Speaker 3: Up, all right, So too things. So Lebron wrote, Bronni definitely better than some of these cats have been watching on the league past today. It's lightweight, hilarious.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So we wrote that at eleven forty three Eastern time. All right, So, I first of all, I want to say this. I think it's a bad tweet by Lebron. I think it's a bad idea. Yeah, I think it puts a bit of a target on Brons and I don't think it's a good idea. But I also think I've determined who he's talking about. So are we if we assume he's talking about a game he was currently watching. There were only two games going on at that point in time, Raptors Nuggets was one of them. Okay, so let's talk about who played in that game. He's not talking about Siakam and Unobi, Scottie, Barnes, Purdle or Van Vliet. Those are all good players. Legit, you know what I mean, good high level players. The only other the only Will Barton played. Will Barton's fine players not talking about him. Gary Trent Junior played a lot. Gary Trent J're not very good player, but good players not about him. Then there's precious that you and Chris Bousche, who are bigs. I'm gonna assume Lebron is not comparing Grannie to a six to nine guy. Okay, So then you have the Nuggets. The Nuggets Aaron Gordon, who's a fringe All Star, Michael Porter Junior is an amazing talent, and Jokic, Murray and Kendaves called Pope he won a championship, not talking about them. On the bench for the Nuggets, Jeff Green, who Lebron played with and went to the finals with. Bruce Brown, who's a good player, played for it. Now he was bad last night. Maybe he's about Bruce Brown, but I don't think so. Thomas Bryant, who played for the Lakers this year and is a Sinner, and Reggie Jackson's been in the league ten years, so I don't think he's talking about anybody in that game. So now we go to Pelicans Kings. The Kings.
Speaker 4: Everybody who played for the.
Speaker 3: Kings was it was a starter, except for one guard played for them, and it was Deli Matthew Delavadova, who Lebron went to the finals with and then I think was on the teamless. So he's not talking about Delhi. So now we have narrowed it down to the Pelicans. It's not talking about the starters. The Pelicans guards who played last night were Dison Daniels, who is the eighth pick of the draft, around where I think Lebron thinks Bronni could go this year. And Dyson Daniels last night did what he does in most games, not much. And then Kiral Lewis Junior, who was the thirteenth pick of the draft a couple of years ago. I believe Lebron was talking about either Curler Lewis Junior or Dyson Daniels. That's what my investigation has revealed. There are Kuryler Lewis Junior is six ft one, Dyson Daniels, well, you know what Daniels, I forgot. He's a guard, but he's six you know, he's six seven. I think he's talking about Kurla Lewis Junior. Sorry, Kira Lewis Junior. But I did. He's six to one. He was one for seven last night. Uh he had one rebound, one assist, one steal in nineteen minutes over three from three, one for two from the foul line.
Speaker 4: I think that's who.
Speaker 3: Lebron James was talking about. Sorry, curious, So, Kira Lewis Lewis, this is not for social guys. This is a podcast and YouTube.
Speaker 4: Exclusive single This man out Listen.
Speaker 3: I did an investigation. That's what I think is happening.
Speaker 5: All right, next, All right, man, So we must be living in crazy times right now, because it seems that the Knicks are somehow relevant. Yeah, since since Josh Hart's joined New York, they're undefeated nine to zero, including two wins versus my beloved Celtics. You said the.
Speaker 4: Knicks are a threat to No One in the East.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you live in New York. Are you're seriously gonna look into the camera and say that they're gonna get bounced out of the first round given these last few games where the.
Speaker 3: Camera, Yeah, they're not beating Cleveland. So who they playing first round? Milwaukee? Okay, well they're not beating them, Boston. Well they're not beating them, Billy, They're not beating them.
Speaker 5: Oh what about I love that you're talking like that. You're you're saying they can't beat my Celtics in the postseason.
Speaker 3: No, listen, the Knicks are a nice story. People pretending like they are a super talented team are crazy and everyone's like, Oh, Nick, why don't you give the Knicks more love?
Speaker 4: Why don't I give this Calves more love?
Speaker 3: The Calves have a the last fifty years, the Cavs have been a better franchise than the Knicks. The I mean, they just have been. They would have the best player in the series. They have the best young player in the series. They've been better this year. Give me a break again, Knicks fans get all mad at me. But what do you again, Knicks fans, what do you think your team is a tough out in Round one? Congrats, that's the best you've been since Ewing left. That's it. No, No, not even the biggest Knick fans think this team has a shot at making the conference finals. Not a prayer they the Knicks fans are hoping, is that in Round one Donovan Mitchell won't do to them the last time they got. We're exciting because they made the playoffs with Julius Randall and Trey Young, came New York and let them on fire.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the only thing the Knicks have going for them is the fact that they're in New York.
Speaker 3: Of course, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: When the New York switch like franchise.
Speaker 3: Of course that's what it is. They're like, Oh the rich history, Demanse, and the Knicks are one of the original franchise. They've been around forever. How many titles do you think they have in their entire franchise history?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 4: Is it one? Or is it it's two?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: When do you think the most recent one was? Just give it a guess? Do you think I was alive? I called it nineteen eighty four, nineteen eighty four as the Eero is born No. Nineteen seventy three. They won the title in seventy and seventy three. They they have one championship since the floppy disc was invented. And I'm told I need to put more respect on their names, Demanse, since this is true, since I graduated high school hung twenty years. How many playoff series do you think they've won?
Speaker 5: Playoff series since you've graduated college.
Speaker 3: You said, yeah, I want to make sure I have the year correct on this. So I graduated high school in two thousand and three. And so you know what, we can we can go let's you know what, let's just go to from oh one to now. We can go further back oh one to now this series playoff series, remember because they had Carmelo. Oh yeah, one is the correct answer one, And everyone's like, oh, Nick, put some respect on the Knicks. I got people dming your mom saying, well, tell your tell Nick to watch his mouth all. Can I tell you what happens with the Knicks.
Speaker 4: The media is based here.
Speaker 3: A lot of the media grew up rooting for the Knicks, but all of the media has to walk these streets. And you know what, sports media loves not only to be recognized, but for people were like, hey, loved what you said about the Knicks A little fist bump. I just don't care about that, And so people are like, put some respect on the Knicks name why why.
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 3: I will respect the Knicks almost as much as the rest of the national media respects the Cats, which is they don't talk Kevin Donovan, Mitchell and Evan Mobley and Jared Allen and Darius Garland, Jalen Brunson's been awesome. I give him a ton of credit. And Julius Randam whatever, stop it. All right, let's play a quick game this or that.
Speaker 5: All right, we're playing this is that today. Let's start with stat patty while you're gone. The media started accusing Jokis of stat patty. Meanwhile, Sunday Night, Yannish, your guy actually was stat patty quite literally and an NBA and the NBA took away a triple double from him more egregious stat pattern? Is Jokic or Yanish?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I don't think Jokic is stat patter at all. Yeah, I's thinking that it's the way he plays. So I'm not gonna criticize him on that at all because I only he does it.
Speaker 5: I think I think even if was like somewhat of a stat pattern if you compared to what Yannis did, like that is literally.
Speaker 3: Right, Yanas, And I think Yannis did it as a joke. But I also think low key it was a shot at the MVP discussion. So it's like, oh, he's gonna win MVP because he gets all these triple doubles.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's a triple double.
Speaker 3: Like you know what I mean, like it was a Yannis is the best defensive player in the league. Averages damn near ten more points than Jokic, does everything, but does every single thing a basketball player can do, score, defend, rebound, lead, all of it better than Jokic except passing.
Speaker 4: Jokicic is is very good. Pass Verge six is this game.
Speaker 3: Joki is one of the best passing big man ever, and Jokic is gonna win all the MVPs. Then yeah, it's like, okay, look, triple double crown me all right?
Speaker 4: Next? Okay?
Speaker 5: Uh, Today is the deadline. Today is the deadline to use the franchise tag. Tony Pollard, Darren Payne, and Josh Jacobs have been tagged, with Daniel Jones and Lamar Jackson likely to follow. The quarterback to stick with their team longer is Daniel Jones or Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jones because I don't think Lamar is gonna be on the Ravens this year, and I think Daniel Jones is going. It's very simple. I also the franchise tag news is gonna come out if you're not watching us live. By the time you hear this, the news will already be out, so you can watch the TV show today where we'll have the live cover to that. We'll talk a lot more about the franchise tag what actually happened. We'll have that on Thursday on the pod.
Speaker 4: Next, let's talk about some come stories.
Speaker 5: As of yesterday, Calvin Ridley has been fully reinstated to the NFL following his one year suspension for gambling on NFL games. Yep, and after three years away, John Jones returned to the octagon.
Speaker 4: And became the heavyweight champion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the more riveting comeback is Calvin Ridley or John Jones.
Speaker 3: Jones is unbelievable. The guy went up in weight class and won. He won the fight two minutes. He's demonse he's had thirty I want to make sure I'm right. I think it's thirty fights in his career. He's never actually lost, So his career record, I think it's twenty eight one and one, but no, it's twenty nine one in one. So it was thirty fights, but his two losses one he won the fight and then afterwards tested positive for a banned substance, so they called it a no contest or something, and the other he won the fight, but they said he did it with illegal elbows, so they decued him. No one has ever beaten him. He's done it multiple weight glasses. He has serious personal and substance abuse issues, unfortunately, so he's had to go away, come back, away, come back, and then he comes back and he just crushes it. And his brother is Chandler Jones, the Raiders player who mush faced Mac Jones. Yeah, a lot of Jones's talking about here. Yeah, it's unbelievable athletic family. His other brother, I think Arthur Jones played for Syracuse. No, he's the greatest. He's the greatest.
Speaker 4: And by the.
Speaker 3: Way, we are not going to do the final topic. I will tell the producers off the air. We will answer your questions, take a very quick break, come back, answer your listener and viewer questions. What's right?
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robless, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberger. The excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, dun Cheatle, Michael Pena, and Bobby Knavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome back in.
Speaker 3: We'll drive with Nick right straight to the listener questions, Go ahead, all right.
Speaker 4: Dustin, Dustin said Nick.
Speaker 5: Would the Jets be better off in the twenty twenty in twenty twenty three with Rogers or Jordan Love?
Speaker 3: I think it's no questions, Love, of course, you save you have an extra, so much money saved against the cap. You have a pick you get from trading Rogers and turn the page with Jordan Love like it's just it's just absolutely what I would do.
Speaker 4: All right, Next, what's haden in music?
Speaker 3: Did you just erase all that? Or did they erase?
Speaker 5: Letting me this time?
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on, let me I don't have an okay, oh yeah, well you can put it back. Go Matt, go ahead and put it back while you asked this question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's had in music?
Speaker 5: Demonds have volunteers tribute if you need an la friend.
Speaker 4: Oh that would be good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, if you like playing board games, I'm all for love, playing really love. I've got a risk date tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh really yeah, an actual date.
Speaker 5: An actual date where we're going to play risk. Hold on, say, is that bad?
Speaker 3: Well, I've seen you get very you gotta you get very frustrated.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really bad idea. Actually I like it otherwise, but you get so mad with risks.
Speaker 4: You get read the room.
Speaker 3: Man, Hey, man, I think okay, all right.
Speaker 4: Good luck.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling you.
Speaker 5: You get frustrated and you get I think games that involve dice do tend annoy you.
Speaker 3: And you, I mean, and you're like I knew it and like, ah, like you get mad, Like I'm definitely not gonna gotta be you gotta be chill, buddy. I've played a lot of board games with you, and you get really frustrated when the dice going on.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna yeah, man, I can. I can definitely read the room. Okay, all right, good luck?
Speaker 5: All right, all right. Bryce Esl said, do you think if Gino's performance remains equal remains equal to his twenty twenty two season and the Seahawks draft well and also pick up some extra pieces that they can make a deep NFC run.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they had all these great young players that are only going to be better.
Speaker 4: How old is DK Metcalf?
Speaker 3: I want to say twenty seven seven?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean young they yeah, twenty five?
Speaker 4: Wow? What about Lockett? Locket's older. Locket's older, but he's still there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I mean that defense they drafted two tackles they played well, Looten was awesome or wooll and I should say was awesome. Yeah, and the NFC is wide open.
Speaker 4: I do think that.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Next?
Speaker 5: All right, super and over twenty two said Nick, Do you truly see the maps making it out of the first round? Of course, currently they are the seventh fighting for the play in positions and on the defensive.
Speaker 4: On the defensive end, they aren't great. How do they fix this? For the posts?
Speaker 3: Okay, so listen right now. The seedings in the West are really weird because yes, they are the seventh seed, but they are also one game out of being the five seed and one game out of being the nine seed, so like that is or a half game out of being the nine seed. So but as the seventh seed, they would play Memphis as the sixth seed, they'd play Sacramento. And while I love lighting the beam, the I like Luca. Luca in the playoffs has been so dominant and such a sure thing. Your mom's at the door, so we got to hurry up. All right, last couple go.
Speaker 5: Baby, Pat said, when do you start to believe that a young quarterback could be your franchise guy?
Speaker 4: Is it all eye tests? Is it accolades?
Speaker 5: Team success? What more? What more do guys like Hurts to a Lamar Daniel Jones have to prove well?
Speaker 3: I only think Hurts as really anything more to prove right because he in the playoffs seed in the regular season, it's tough. One second, baby, your mom's waiting to get in demons. Go let her out so she doesn't get mad. Tua has to prove its stay healthy. Lamar's got a I guess, kind of prove he can do it in the playoffs. But Lamar's already worth a long term deal without question. Daniel Jones has to do it a lot more than he's done. And then coach Mystic asks top three meals I had in Brazil. I ate a place called Satira Cone, which was this unbelievable seafood place where your mom of course ordered the King Crab that was for two people, but it was just for her.
Speaker 4: But then I did eat some of it.
Speaker 3: It was unbelievable. Uh, we had we ate it. This great steak. Steak is the national.
Speaker 4: Food of Brazil.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know the you don't forget to chow that's from Brazil and the churse scenaria. So that style of they have a one hundred restaurants like that where they yeah, they come over.
Speaker 4: They didn't cut to sing.
Speaker 3: So we ate a few great steak places and we ate a this we'd add this chef's table thing at this really fancy restaurant where they had you ate in the kitchen and you watched the chef's cook and they brought you stuff over. But here's the truth. What I learned that I loved in Brazil that I had never eaten chicken heart.
Speaker 5: Chicken heart.
Speaker 3: It's do you remember do you remember King City? Do you remember Go Chicken Go and the gizzards?
Speaker 5: So it's like that.
Speaker 3: It's like that, except it to the heart instead of the gizzard. And I'm telling you, I ate the first piece thinking it was a gizzard, and I was like, gizzard, if you're gonna kill the animal hull as we use every piece.
Speaker 4: Of it, buddy.
Speaker 3: But then we were I ate. I was like, this is really good, and so I ate a few more and I said to your mom, I was like, this doesn't look like a gizzard. And I was like, it looks like it, you know, it kind of looks like a heart, like it has the little like the vindriful things. And then I I translated was on the menu and it was chicken heart. But then I ordered it at two other places as an appetizer. They were delicious dark. Okay, that's today's episode. See you guys Thursday.
Speaker 4: Once.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's Nick right, Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor. Click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demonsey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out.
Speaker 4: And also click the bell.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And you're audio listeners. People that have commute strives, whatever it is, subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out appreciate you.